PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

halifaxboyns
Oct 11, 2011, 3:30 AM
That's some pretty intense FAR for both proposals - interesting the tall tower.

The block diagrams really don't show anything other then concepts of building height and potential massing if the design used up 100% of the envelope. Most developers won't do that; so a more specific design will be way more interesting...

halifaxboyns
Oct 11, 2011, 4:17 PM
This isn't really Halifax related; but I found this story about Toronto where the person interviewed in the story feels that development of condos in Toronto has eatten up the land supply for offices in the downtown core.

This (http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1062109--toronto-s-core-losing-jobs-to-condos?bn=1) is an interesting article, but I don't think I agree with his conclusions. But something to keep in mind for HRM in the future - downtown needs to be a balance of both office/residential.

Dmajackson
Oct 11, 2011, 5:38 PM
Update on the Credit Union building being updated on Ochterlonely Street in Dartmouth;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6060/6234597647_2cb6bc9726_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6058/6234600737_7ff049a54f_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6108/6235127826_b969daba8b_z.jpg

someone123
Oct 11, 2011, 6:21 PM
This isn't really Halifax related; but I found this story about Toronto where the person interviewed in the story feels that development of condos in Toronto has eatten up the land supply for offices in the downtown core.

As they mention in the article, the lack of office development is due to sprawl and tax rates. There's some confusion of cause and effect when people think that condos have displaced offices -- many of the empty lots that now have condos in downtown Toronto sat empty for decades. The same thing is true in Halifax.

I think it can be very harmful to suppress good development happening right now for some other form of supposedly better development that might happen at some point in the future. Halifax's lacklustre old downtown core reflects this attitude somewhat; it's waiting for an 80s-style office boom that may never happen again. Many people are complaining simply because they are clinging to an outdated, never successful 1970s/80s-era "CBD" model, whether they realize it or not. The goal of a 100% office core isn't even a good goal.

When there is demand for office then it won't be too hard to deal with the happy problem of where to put the new buildings. In the worst case that would require redeveloping some new area adjacent near the core, like Young Street, Bayers Road/Dutch Village, Quinpool, Dartmouth, or the Dal/Hospitals area. Halifax is not at risk of running out of land for office towers!

halifaxboyns
Oct 11, 2011, 6:46 PM
Personally, I see the regional core exercise as finally dealing with the issue of office locations for both the old downtowns of Halifax and Dartmouth - hopefully once and for all. It seems to me that everyone thinks that offices should be in downtown Halifax and that's the idea when people say 'downtown', but to me that's wrong. The regional core is both Halifax and Dartmouth - so both downtowns are opportunity sites in my mind. I guess for me, I always saw Dartmouth's dt as the 'standby' once Halifax's core filled up with office/condos.

Fortunately, King's Wharf has solidified DT Dartmouth as a true option for high rise developement and should help with other developments in terms of establishing context.

Toronto is an interesting animal, especially in light of the recent budget issues they are facing. I have a consultant working for me from Toronto and I had no idea that in the GTA, Toronto's residential property tax is the cheapest. Mainly due to the fact that if you raised it; you'd be a one term mayor. So it's the commercial/industrial that pays way more in Toronto, than residential. The whole budget stuff going on isn't a 'cut the gravy' issue (because there is none, other mayors have hacked things to the bone), but simply a matter of taxation not keeping up...very interesting.

For HRM though, if a population boom occurs with this ship building contract (and then other industries jumping on board with job creation), I suspect a new regional plan would have to be done. I'd suggest looking at the idea of 'employment centres' which could be along logical nodes for transportation (LRT). The Municipal Development Plan for Calgary did that - establishing employment centres in the main industrial areas, but also along the LRT. So I wouldn't be surprised if bigger/high rise office towers crop up in Burnside or Bayer's Lake.

someone123
Oct 11, 2011, 7:23 PM
Toronto is an interesting animal, especially in light of the recent budget issues they are facing. I have a consultant working for me from Toronto and I had no idea that in the GTA, Toronto's residential property tax is the cheapest. Mainly due to the fact that if you raised it; you'd be a one term mayor. So it's the commercial/industrial that pays way more in Toronto, than residential. The whole budget stuff going on isn't a 'cut the gravy' issue (because there is none, other mayors have hacked things to the bone), but simply a matter of taxation not keeping up...very interesting.

This is a very common scenario. See proposition 13 for California: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)

Halifax is similar in that commercial property tax rates are the highest in Canada and much higher than residential rates. This is because the system listens to voters and there are far more residential ratepayer/voters than people who personally care about commercial taxes.

I don't think that the issue of where to put offices will even be permanently dealt with, because the question will evolve over time. It's not even clear what future offices will look like or what their requirements will be. That's why so many of these long-term planning exercises are more or less futile.

If you ever want a laugh, go look at old population projections for Canadian cities done back in the 1970s or so. I saw one that put Halifax at about 250,000 right now -- it was going to hit 300,000 in the 80s and then decline because of the aging population. Demographers can look at life expectancies and cohorts but in the modern world those factors are dwarfed by hard-to-predict economics and migration.

RyeJay
Oct 11, 2011, 8:00 PM
The regional core is both Halifax and Dartmouth - so both downtowns are opportunity sites in my mind. I guess for me, I always saw Dartmouth's dt as the 'standby' once Halifax's core filled up with office/condos.

Fortunately, King's Wharf has solidified DT Dartmouth as a true option for high rise developement and should help with other developments in terms of establishing context.

Well, when it comes to Halifax's twin downtowns, Peninsular Halifax and Dartmouth, D-town is definitely the bolder of the two. Forget the peninsula for a moment: King's Wharf is essentially Dartmouth's boom; their downtown is virtually doubling in size! HRM is very fortunate to have Dartmouth's ambitious waterfront development. Part of the spectacle of Halifax, especially for tourists, is to be able to traverse the twin downtowns via foot(and ferry).

Bedford, too, is also out there with a waterfront project.

I wouldn't be surprised if bigger/high rise office towers crop up in Burnside or Bayer's Lake.

This would still be a good thing, because it would ultimately lead to a demand for residential. I would really appreciate residential towers breaking out of their Clayton Park shell and germinating in Bayer's Lake. Halifax needs to provide living options closers to work.

...wouldn't it be crazy if Bayer's Lake was, someday, walkable?! Like...decent sidewalks, and maybe even some green space.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 12, 2011, 4:09 AM
...wouldn't it be crazy if Bayer's Lake was, someday, walkable?! Like...decent sidewalks, and maybe even some green space.

Well, I think if sidewalks were added in some spots and more parking lots were replaced with additional retail... potentially some high rise residential... it could be a livable place.

If a park could be put in there somewhere, it would be interesting if it could connect with the trails.

BL has way more parking than it will ever need, its been good to see sorts pop up in some of the lots.

someone123
Oct 14, 2011, 5:38 AM
There was an article in ANS today about the CD Plus building redevelopment on Barrington. Apparently renderings will be released next week. It's going to be a six storey office development with ground floor retail.

Haliguy
Oct 14, 2011, 1:37 PM
There was an article in ANS today about the CD Plus building redevelopment on Barrington. Apparently renderings will be released next week. It's going to be a six storey office development with ground floor retail.

They will be at "VivaCity" next week onTuesday evening at the Haboutfornt Marriot.

kph06
Oct 16, 2011, 5:52 PM
Work on the new Chickenburger on Queen Street has started. They have foundations poured to extend the foundations out.

Also, the townhouses in the large empty lot in behind Cedar/Henry/Jubilee/Robie has started. Looks like one building with probably 4 units is well underway and the house on Cedar that will be renovated as part of this is also under heavy renos.

haligonia
Oct 18, 2011, 11:25 PM

Here is a picture of the rendering, posted by Paul MacKinnon (Executive at the DHBC) on Twitter:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg736/scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=l9aba.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

halifaxboyns
Oct 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
Here is a picture of the rendering, posted by Paul MacKinnon (Executive at the DHBC) on Twitter:

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg736/scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=l9aba.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

The heritage trust is going to go nuts...love it.

sdm
Oct 18, 2011, 11:34 PM
The heritage trust is going to go nuts...love it.

best part is this building is pretty much to the "T" of the requirements of the design manual for HRM by Design. Actually i think there is even a picture of a similar building.

Looks fantastic and hopefully it will be built.

someone123
Oct 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
It has a nice open design that contrasts well with the Khyber and Tramway buildings on either side. It will also complement the Espace development, which has a very similar sort of scale.

It's a little sad to be skeptical of something this small and say "I hope it gets built". There have been so many plans in this part of town with so little follow-through. The NFB building is still rotting away, for example. I have no idea if it's dead or if they're going to start on it soon.

Keith P.
Oct 19, 2011, 1:37 AM
It would be a real shame if the demo of the CD Plus building accidentally took down that monstrosity to the left of this, wouldn't it? :cool:

RyeJay
Oct 19, 2011, 2:41 AM
It would be a real shame if the demo of the CD Plus building accidentally took down that monstrosity to the left of this, wouldn't it? :cool:

Hey now, come on!
Granted, I was a fan of the Khyber before, but I think the CD Plus reno makes it look even better.

You don't agree, at all?

Aya_Akai
Oct 19, 2011, 5:11 AM
Hey now, come on!
Granted, I was a fan of the Khyber before, but I think the CD Plus reno makes it look even better.

You don't agree, at all?

I'll agree to that, the Khyber is a really cool building, inside and out. However, that other "thing" we'll call it.. to the right (the Tramway Building) needs to go.. or get some serious help ASAP. That thing has a lean to it inside, water in a container on a table was unlevel, and it had the same slant to the water in the toilets.. lol I did some stuff through school a couple years ago for Colideascope Animation when they were in there, they had such lovely terms for things .. such as "the stairway to hell"... it was this horrible staircase that they didn't really know where it went... it just kind of went into darkness, and whenever it was windy, it made scary noises. haha:haha:

I really think this building contrasts nicely with the area, and its neighbours (the buildings lol) I have a funny feel thing the HT may throw a little conniption about this.. lol

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 19, 2011, 5:58 AM
But CD plus is so historic now! Save the cds!

ScovaNotian
Oct 19, 2011, 12:37 PM
Given the choice between this and the rendering on page 7 of this (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/documents/planningframework5.pdf) I'd probably prefer the latter.

beyeas
Oct 19, 2011, 1:16 PM

Awesome... for such a tiny structure it really stands out, and makes great use of it's limited frontage. Well done.

coolmillion
Oct 19, 2011, 1:25 PM
I love this proposal and really hope it doesn't face too much opposition. I know the owner of the building and apparently some heritage planners at the city are less than enthusiastic because they think it is too modern for the Barrington St. heritage district. Obviously that's foolish - go to any big city in the world and you will find a mix of old and well-designed, unobtrusive and complementary new buildings. If the HT or HAC kicks up a fuss I will personally attempt to talk some reason into them.

halifaxboyns
Oct 19, 2011, 3:22 PM
This is totally off the CD plus discussion - but is anyone else with me in saying that the revamp of the Chronicle Herald's website sucks!?

coolmillion
Oct 19, 2011, 3:46 PM
This is totally off the CD plus discussion - but is anyone else with me in saying that the revamp of the Chronicle Herald's website sucks!?

Agreed! It's less cluttered but also much less user-friendly.

icetea93
Oct 19, 2011, 3:56 PM

I also agree. I just hope I get used to it...

kph06
Oct 19, 2011, 4:06 PM

I can't stand it, it seems like there are fewer articles than before as well. The old site was dated, but it was easy to quickly scan the news and move on.

Keith P.
Oct 19, 2011, 9:41 PM

Oh, it's a total disaster. Slow as molasses on a winter day. Hard to navigate. Even harder to read. Can't find anything. I barely have visited this week.

Keith P.
Oct 19, 2011, 9:43 PM
Hey now, come on!

You don't agree, at all?

No. The Khyber is a hideous gothic haunted-house wannabe that darkens the block and is not at all welcoming. Plus its the home of the Heritage Trust so that automatically paints a target on its backside. The two neighbors to the south are huge negatives for that block. All 3 of them need to go.

halifaxboyns
Oct 19, 2011, 11:12 PM
Oh, it's a total disaster. Slow as molasses on a winter day. Hard to navigate. Even harder to read. Can't find anything. I barely have visited this week.

Agreed, it's terrible! Maybe the government of Canada can issue a website building contract? :)

haligonia
Oct 19, 2011, 11:23 PM
No. The Khyber is a hideous gothic haunted-house wannabe that darkens the block and is not at all welcoming. Plus its the home of the Heritage Trust so that automatically paints a target on its backside. The two neighbors to the south are huge negatives for that block. All 3 of them need to go.

I wouldn't mind if the Khyber was torn down. It's interesting and unique, but it doesn't offer much to the street.

I don't however see its neighbour to the south being demolished anytime soon. It is connected to Neptune Theatre, and houses rehearsal spaces, the costume/set/prop design departments, meeting space, etc. Unless Neptune plans a redevelopment, I don't see it leaving in the near future.

Empire
Oct 19, 2011, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Khyber was torn down. It's interesting and unique, but it doesn't offer much to the street.

I don't however see its neighbour to the south being demolished anytime soon. It is connected to Neptune Theatre, and houses rehearsal spaces, the costume/set/prop design departments, meeting space, etc. Unless Neptune plans a redevelopment, I don't see it leaving in the near future.

WOW, do you know what town you are in? The Khyber building is one of the best examples of neo-gothic architecture in the city.

Khyber Building
Source Google Maps
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/Khyber-1.jpg

haligonia
Oct 19, 2011, 11:59 PM
WOW, do you know what town you are in?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I LOVE The Khyber. It's incredible, inside and out. It doesn't however, contribute much to the streetscape. That being said, if I were given the option, I would choose to keep it rather than demolishing it.

What I meant was that I wouldn't be kicking and screaming if it ever did have to go.

Wishblade
Oct 20, 2011, 12:07 AM
Yeah, Im actually one of the lovers of the Khyber. I think its a unique building to Halifax and should be preserved and kept. The only thing I hate about it is that the HT call it home. But with that in mind, I think this development would make a great next door neighbour to the Khyber. Great mix of old and new.

ScovaNotian
Oct 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
I've never been in there, but from the outside the Khyber would make for a beautiful space for a restaurant or pub.

resetcbu1
Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 AM

It now cost 9.99$ to view the full "e-paper". I liked that the other online version was almost like a virtual paper in it's own , I mean it's not the "NYTIMES" or the "GLOBE" lol , why can't we just enjoy a little of back home news huh:koko:

resetcbu1
Oct 20, 2011, 12:28 AM
I've never been in there, but from the outside the Khyber would make for a beautiful space for a restaurant or pub.

totally agree , I mean any building can be overhauled to make a restaurant or bar and that'd make a cool one:cheers:

Empire
Oct 20, 2011, 12:43 AM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I LOVE The Khyber. It's incredible, inside and out. It doesn't however, contribute much to the streetscape. That being said, if I were given the option, I would choose to keep it rather than demolishing it.

What I meant was that I wouldn't be kicking and screaming if it ever did have to go.

I see your point but IMO it adds more to the streescape than a building like Ideal Bikes.

RyeJay
Oct 20, 2011, 1:04 AM
I think this development would make a great next door neighbour to the Khyber. Great mix of old and new.

Hear, hear.

someone123
Oct 20, 2011, 3:58 AM
I could see moving the Khyber, or including it in some sort of redevelopment with upper levels set back somewhat.

At the end of the day however it has such a short street frontage that it's not really a big issue. If the CD Plus and NFB projects were to happen this block would be fine.

halifaxboyns
Oct 20, 2011, 5:15 AM
Not sure if anyone saw the full Global NS broadcast at 6pm, but there is an interesting project that the Dal Planning school is doing - the special clip is here (http://www.globalmaritimes.com/video/future+of+halifax/video.html?v=2156683960&p=1&s=dd#top+stories).

Waye Mason
Oct 20, 2011, 11:21 AM
You know what else the Khyber would be a great space for? An artist run center. Something else every other major city in Canada has in their downtown.

Empire
Oct 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
Not sure if anyone saw the full Global NS broadcast at 6pm, but there is an interesting project that the Dal Planning school is doing - the special clip is here (http://www.globalmaritimes.com/video/future+of+halifax/video.html?v=2156683960&p=1&s=dd#top+stories).

I wonder if you could build a lock across Halifax Harbour for a budget price of 1 trillion$$$$?

JET
Oct 20, 2011, 1:09 PM
totally agree , I mean any building can be overhauled to make a restaurant or bar and that'd make a cool one:cheers:

back in the day, before it was known as the Khyber, it was known as the bean sprout building, and had a small cafe on the main floor rooms (Halifax's first health food store). I was in those rooms last year and they seemed unoccupied.

Jonovision
Oct 20, 2011, 1:11 PM

I was there for 12 hours yesterday. It was lots of fun. Have to go back today to check out everyone else's work.

Halifax Hillbilly
Oct 20, 2011, 4:21 PM
As they mention in the article, the lack of office development is due to sprawl and tax rates. There's some confusion of cause and effect when people think that condos have displaced offices -- many of the empty lots that now have condos in downtown Toronto sat empty for decades. The same thing is true in Halifax.

I think it can be very harmful to suppress good development happening right now for some other form of supposedly better development that might happen at some point in the future. Halifax's lacklustre old downtown core reflects this attitude somewhat; it's waiting for an 80s-style office boom that may never happen again. Many people are complaining simply because they are clinging to an outdated, never successful 1970s/80s-era "CBD" model, whether they realize it or not. The goal of a 100% office core isn't even a good goal.

When there is demand for office then it won't be too hard to deal with the happy problem of where to put the new buildings. In the worst case that would require redeveloping some new area adjacent near the core, like Young Street, Bayers Road/Dutch Village, Quinpool, Dartmouth, or the Dal/Hospitals area. Halifax is not at risk of running out of land for office towers!

You hit the nail on the head - a CBD is an outdated, bad idea. I think one issue with a lack of development in the old downtown core is that Spring Garden is hot right now. I'd rather put my building in the busy, mixed use area adjacent to downtown than in downtown proper. All the benefits of being downtown without the deadly dullness of the CBD. Hopefully we see the buzz on Spring Garden start to spread northwards.

alps
Oct 21, 2011, 7:51 PM
QEH site today. Bit surreal to see it like this, speaking as a former student!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/1a68bae7.jpg
(self-made)

You know what else the Khyber would be a great space for? An artist run center. Something else every other major city in Canada has in their downtown.

:previous: :yes:

cormiermax
Oct 22, 2011, 12:25 AM
:slob: Looks so prime for development. Too bad there going with a farm instead. :(

Jstaleness
Oct 22, 2011, 12:27 AM
:slob: Looks so prime for development. Too bad there going with a farm instead. :(

Anyone have a magic seed that can grow tall slim glass towers?

-Harlington-
Oct 22, 2011, 3:09 AM
Couple pics of the new boat playground on the waterfront, kinda dark but oh well .

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/104_0670.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz269/6sean/104_0671.jpg

Phalanx
Oct 22, 2011, 4:16 AM

They're going with a farm because it will be easier to develop when they need to use it...

cormiermax
Oct 22, 2011, 5:56 AM
They took down the old playground??! That's a shame!

kph06
Oct 25, 2011, 1:11 AM
As I mentioned earlier, the townhouses on the lot in the middle of the Jubilee/Robie/Cedar/Henry block are well underway, this is a photo I took at the end of last week:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6059/6278593964_c58c90556d_b.jpg

fenwick16
Oct 25, 2011, 3:13 AM
Too bad something can't be done with the two homes in front. Are these heritage homes or can they be bought and re-developed (or at least renovated)?

coolmillion
Oct 25, 2011, 12:21 PM
I grew up at Robie and Jubilee and this project has been in the works for as long as I can remember. Still, I'm surprised to see it in motion. I'm not sure if the houses in front are owned by the developer. The one on the left appears to be getting a new deck? Otherwise on Jubilee and Henry there are beautiful stone and brick townhouses unlike anywhere else in the city. A bit odd to have this development going up in the middle of the block but at least it means a slight increase in density.

kph06
Oct 25, 2011, 12:48 PM
The house on the left is owned by the developers and will be renovated as part of this project, the house on the right will not.

Nifta
Oct 25, 2011, 5:13 PM
QEH site today. Bit surreal to see it like this, speaking as a former student!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l217/halps00/1a68bae7.jpg
(self-made)

:previous: :yes:

Weird how the colour tint on that photo makes it look grassed already (especially towards the lower left)

kph06
Oct 25, 2011, 5:27 PM
Weird how the colour tint on that photo makes it look grassed already (especially towards the lower left)

I think the site was hydroseeded and then they spread hay on top of it.

Keith P.
Oct 25, 2011, 9:57 PM
I think the site was hydroseeded and then they spread hay on top of it.

Maybe the enviro-crazies want to turn it into a horse and cow pasture kind of farm. Or maybe its a back-door way for them to get their coveted urban chickens. ;)

RyeJay
Oct 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe the enviro-crazies want to turn it into a horse and cow pasture kind of farm. Or maybe its a back-door way for them to get their coveted urban chickens. ;)

As far as I know, this space will be used to promote organic, urban gardening--both in decorative plantation and in edible vegetation. Within a decade the space will, however, yield an expansion of the hospital so that HRM may service its growing (and aging) population.

So the enviro-crazies will only have a short time to educate people, and bring a sense of community to that area of the peninsula.

Jstaleness
Oct 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
Looks like a good place to try and grow 2012's largest pumpkin. Throw some Dill's seeds in there and boom! Pumpkin Pie for everyone.

-Harlington-
Oct 26, 2011, 2:39 AM
Yum, intersection vegetables

on a side note i thought id mention that a building on the corner of North and Windsor was torn down recently, i believe it was a real estate office and now its a big hole .

skyscraperfan
Oct 26, 2011, 6:54 PM
check it out: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=ALT+hotel+halifax&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1680&bih=904&tbm=isch&tbnid=bnuaZoB8PAJJYM:&imgrefurl=http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/15053-ALT-Hotel-(-Germain-Group-14s-LeMay-Michaud)&docid=jqAjqHcZPqLlsM&imgurl=http://urbantoronto.ca/picoftheday/images/AltHotelHalifax.jpg&w=750&h=336&ei=UVeoTr_7Ler10gHl0I24Dg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=0&sig=110944306045035690380&page=1&tbnh=100&tbnw=223&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=193&ty=73

spaustin
Oct 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
Yum, intersection vegetables

on a side note i thought id mention that a building on the corner of North and Windsor was torn down recently, i believe it was a real estate office and now its a big hole .

I believe that is owned by Turner Drake. There was a story in the Herald earlier this year about how they wanted to expand their offices next door, but were being held up in the bureaucracy over some planned encroachments (planters or something). Maybe they've secured their approaval or maybe they're just proceeding with the demolition phase. Hopefully they've got their approval as it's good to have business like theirs in the city and not out in Burnside.

Keith P.
Oct 27, 2011, 12:01 AM
I believe that is owned by Turner Drake. There was a story in the Herald earlier this year about how they wanted to expand their offices next door, but were being held up in the bureaucracy over some planned encroachments (planters or something). Maybe they've secured their approaval or maybe they're just proceeding with the demolition phase. Hopefully they've got their approval as it's good to have business like theirs in the city and not out in Burnside.

Something else for the bunch at OccupyNS to protest - that demolition ruined a prime graffiti site for them. "Think of the graffiti artists! We need a venue to vandalize and disfigure!"

haligonia
Oct 27, 2011, 1:35 AM
Something else for the bunch at OccupyNS to protest - that demolition ruined a prime graffiti site for them. "Think of the graffiti artists! We need a venue to vandalize and disfigure!"

Please, stop generalising these protesters. It's starting to piss me off.

Waye Mason
Oct 27, 2011, 2:11 AM

Keith is not really capable of better, he just doesn't want to change. Don't feed the troll.

Empire
Oct 27, 2011, 2:11 AM

Isn't this so called protest generalistic at best.

RyeJay
Oct 27, 2011, 3:00 AM

Sure. You go tell them.

RyeJay
Oct 27, 2011, 3:12 AM
Isn't this so called protest generalistic at best.

Generalistic? It is broad, due to the many issues--but it is largely focused on economics. You won't, for instance, hear many protestors talking about issues relating to race, gender, religion, etc...

This protest is about what taxpayer dollars are used for--and who is contributing to this revenue (and just how much).

Every big protest has numerous messages. Time is required for refinement. An example of this is in the early days of the American Tea Party protests. Granted, this was a corporate funded rebranding process of the Republican Party, but it is still a protest nonetheless.

RyeJay
Oct 27, 2011, 3:14 AM
Keith is not really capable of better, he just doesn't want to change. Don't feed the troll.

I still think he's a funny guy. He's not making me smile right now, however.

Keith P.
Oct 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
Generalistic? It is broad, due to the many issues--but it is largely focused on economics. You won't, for instance, hear many protestors talking about issues relating to race, gender, religion, etc...

This protest is about what taxpayer dollars are used for--and who is contributing to this revenue (and just how much).

Every big protest has numerous messages. Time is required for refinement. An example of this is in the early days of the American Tea Party protests. Granted, this was a corporate funded rebranding process of the Republican Party, but it is still a protest nonetheless.

They have not articulated a position except that they are against everything aside from wanting more handouts from those of us who work to earn a living. Some focus would be useful but they seem incapable of this. Everyone's favorite left-winger, Boisquet of the Coast, is an ardent supporter so that alone is enough to dismiss their cause. In the end they are simply demonstrating that they are incapable of formulating a coherent position and reinforcing the belief held by many that they are a bunch of clueless layabouts.

beyeas
Oct 27, 2011, 12:37 PM
They have not articulated a position except that they are against everything aside from wanting more handouts from those of us who work to earn a living. Some focus would be useful but they seem incapable of this. Everyone's favorite left-winger, Boisquet of the Coast, is an ardent supporter so that alone is enough to dismiss their cause. In the end they are simply demonstrating that they are incapable of formulating a coherent position and reinforcing the belief held by many that they are a bunch of clueless layabouts.

To be honest I sort of agree with this comment. I don't think that this particular protest has been effective. In terms of the overall "Occupy" movement, it was really the Occupy Wall Street one that was the most effective, as it established the brand and had a relatively concise message.

The Occupy NS however has not been particularly effective in getting their message across (regardless of the fact that there are likely some very valid points that they are protesting, they are not articulating it).

Empire
Oct 27, 2011, 3:35 PM
I think they need a better platform than banks and corporations are killing people.

Jstaleness
Oct 27, 2011, 5:21 PM
Here is something we should all be protesting.

From CNN Money

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Exxon Mobil reported quarterly earnings of $10.3 billion on Thursday, a surge of 41% from a year earlier.
Profit at the oil company soared compared to the same period a year ago, when it was $7.4 billion. Per-share income climbed to $2.13 per share from $1.44 in the prior year.
And revenue rose to $125.3 billion from $95.3 billion in the year-ago quarter, the company said.

Article: http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/27/news/companies/exxon_mobil/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

RyeJay
Oct 27, 2011, 8:08 PM

No. You don't read.

And a problem exists in your desire for this to be simple. It is not simple; therefore, we cannot. Talking numbers, which is what the economy is, is something with which our society has great problems. By in large, the general public is not educated enough in science and math.

Hopefully, Keith, you will someday stop finding excuses to ignore these poor people, and will perhaps read one of their signs--or maybe go talk to one of them, which takes about as much effort as coming up with insulting one-liners does.

Think of it: instead of being a bitch, you could converse about the issues they keep raising, which you keep ignoring. If you cut off all your breath devoted toward insults, more would be understood for you.

The insults imply that you do not have a useful position to express.

THE ISSUES:

- The backbone of our country, the middle-class, has seen wage and salary stagnation. This is because the money has been going elsewhere. Shall we reveal numerical proof as to how well corporations are doing, and how the rich are getting richer?

- Our democratically elected government is controlled via money from corporations. Their lobbyists have louder voices than any ordinary voter. As a result, the majority does not get represented.

We need to stop saying we're so much better off than the USA; Canada is not. Read about Canada's housing market bubble. Read about Canada's employment problems. Read about Canada's low ranking public education. Read about Canada's high student loan debt. Read about Canada's low ranking public healthcare.

And the rising costs of everthing is something only the rich will weather.

Keith P.
Oct 27, 2011, 9:59 PM
You sound like Boisquet.

The fact is that the issues in Canada are totally different regardless of how many times you claim otherwise. Only someone who is totally unfamiliar with the situation in the USA could make such a claim. They are screwed down there. We are not. Our system works. Theirs does not.

One has high student loan debt if one chooses to take high-cost degrees at universities and does not make plans as to how to pay for it. Missing classes to attend protests does not help in that regard as it just requires further semesters to get a degree that may ultimately not be useful. We have just landed a lucrative shipbuilding contract. A 2-year trades program at NSCC is cheap and can provide a career if someone gets a job building those ships. But that would probably be bad news for most of these folks.

Funny thing - I seem to remember a federal election just a few months ago. I also seem to recall that our current government won a majority mandate. Of course that cannot stand with the left, so they then try something like this to create a crisis and contend that the will of the people as expressed just months earlier was somehow wrong or corrupt. The left are constantly doing things like this while claiming others are anti-democratic. It reminds me of the old days of the Cold War when the most oppressive Communist regimes always called themselves the "People's Democratic Republic" of whatever. How ironic.

The only point upon which we agree is that the financial system - largely based in the US - is broken right now because the US government has abdicated any role in ensuring it works responsibly. Are the stock markets rigged? Perhaps not overtly, but the lack of control over hedge funds and the like allows artificial manipulation and lets some people benefit to a ridiculous degree at the expense of others who are of the belief the markets are honest. The world financial markets need reform and they need it now.

I would love to engage these occupy types in that, but shouting slogans that say corporations are evil and profits are bad is not the way to have a productive dialogue. Neither is harassing passersby or taking a public space for their own misguided purposes. Criticism is an insult only if it is untrue.

Empire
Oct 27, 2011, 10:01 PM
No. You don't read.

And a problem exists in your desire for this to be simple. It is not simple; therefore, we cannot. Talking numbers, which is what the economy is, is something with which our society has great problems. By in large, the general public is not educated enough in science and math.

Hopefully, Keith, you will someday stop finding excuses to ignore these poor people, and will perhaps read one of their signs--or maybe go talk to one of them, which takes about as much effort as coming up with insulting one-liners does.

Think of it: instead of being a bitch, you could converse about the issues they keep raising, which you keep ignoring. If you cut off all your breath devoted toward insults, more would be understood for you.

The insults imply that you do not have a useful position to express.

THE ISSUES:

- The backbone of our country, the middle-class, has seen wage and salary stagnation. This is because the money has been going elsewhere. Shall we reveal numerical proof as to how well corporations are doing, and how the rich are getting richer?

- Our democratically elected government is controlled via money from corporations. Their lobbyists have louder voices than any ordinary voter. As a result, the majority does not get represented.

We need to stop saying we're so much better off than the USA; Canada is not. Read about Canada's housing market bubble. Read about Canada's employment problems. Read about Canada's low ranking public education. Read about Canada's high student loan debt. Read about Canada's low ranking public healthcare.

And the rising costs of everthing is something only the rich will weather.

Rubbish! You are brainwashed just as the protesters are. The backbone of the economy is the the rich corporate sector and the banks. All of these midsized companies you visualize as the glue that keeps us going come and go like the wind and will always do so. Blame the banks and big business if you wish but if these midsized companies you insist keep us going suddenly become successful from all of the payroll rebates and incentives they receive from the big bad government won't they be the bad guy?

This silly protest is very circular in nature in that it suggests blame for something that works being the cause of the demise of underachieving companies who then get bailed out. The reason the corporate sector makes big profits is because they know what they are doing and provide a stable economy unlike the unorganized Occupy NS Protesters. FYI, I spoke with one of the protesters who said that banks and government kill people. I will let you defend that rationale.

I assume the protesters will repair the grass in the Grand Parade?

RyeJay
Oct 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
Rubbish! You are brainwashed just as the protesters are. The backbone of the economy is the the rich corporate sector and the banks.

No. The buck begins and ends with the people; banks are simply management of the backbone's (the middle-class') productivity.

If the middle-class isn't the backbone, then why is it whenever a country's middle-class recedes then so does its economy?

The middle-class is the largest labour force and largest economic consumer.

All of these midsized companies you visualize as the glue that keeps us going come and go like the wind and will always do so. Blame the banks and big business if you wish but if these midsized companies you insist keep us going suddenly become successful from all of the payroll rebates and incentives they receive from the big bad government won't they be the bad guy?

And you disagree that small business are the biggest economic driver of the economy? Of course many will fail, that's the nature of capitalism.

And why are you using phrases like "the big bad government"? The government is unethical if it is subsidising businesses that DO NOT need help--when a large number of the country's populace DOES need the help.

The richest are not contributing their fair share.

This silly protest is very circular in nature in that it suggests blame for something that works being the cause of the demise of underachieving companies who then get bailed out. The reason the corporate sector makes big profits is because they know what they are doing and provide a stable economy unlike the unorganized Occupy NS Protesters.

The private sector, with respects to corporations and others rich enough to lobby the government, are successful because the tax code favours them; the allowance of shipping jobs overseas favours them; ignoring environmental consequences because it's cheaper favours them.

The few are favoured. The majority, even those with full-time careers, are debt slaves.

FYI, I spoke with one of the protesters who said that banks and government kill people. I will let you defend that rationale.

Ok, I will defend something I didn't say:

Whether it be a bullet in the head of an Afghan, during a senseless war of fighting terrorism with an entire army (btw, Bin Laden is dead...and wasn't in Afghanistan), or a Canadian unable to find full-time employment that pays enough to feed their family--I would say banks and government kill people. I, myself, try to stay away from dramatic declarative statements such as this--but nevertheless I am responding to your apparent encounter with a protestor.

The odd thing about a thesis statement is that it requires a bit more digging.

I assume the protesters will repair the grass in the Grand Parade?

Sure... Just like the public does after any event on public space.

fenwick16
Oct 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
You sound like Boisquet.

The fact is that the issues in Canada are totally different regardless of how many times you claim otherwise. Only someone who is totally unfamiliar with the situation in the USA could make such a claim. They are screwed down there. We are not. Our system works. Theirs does not.

One has high student loan debt if one chooses to take high-cost degrees at universities and does not make plans as to how to pay for it. Missing classes to attend protests does not help in that regard as it just requires further semesters to get a degree that may ultimately not be useful. We have just landed a lucrative shipbuilding contract. A 2-year trades program at NSCC is cheap and can provide a career if someone gets a job building those ships. But that would probably be bad news for most of these folks.

Funny thing - I seem to remember a federal election just a few months ago. I also seem to recall that our current government won a majority mandate. Of course that cannot stand with the left, so they then try something like this to create a crisis and contend that the will of the people as expressed just months earlier was somehow wrong or corrupt. The left are constantly doing things like this while claiming others are anti-democratic. It reminds me of the old days of the Cold War when the most oppressive Communist regimes always called themselves the "People's Democratic Republic" of whatever. How ironic.

The only point upon which we agree is that the financial system - largely based in the US - is broken right now because the US government has abdicated any role in ensuring it works responsibly. Are the stock markets rigged? Perhaps not overtly, but the lack of control over hedge funds and the like allows artificial manipulation and lets some people benefit to a ridiculous degree at the expense of others who are of the belief the markets are honest. The world financial markets need reform and they need it now.

I would love to engage these occupy types in that, but shouting slogans that say corporations are evil and profits are bad is not the way to have a productive dialogue. Neither is harassing passersby or taking a public space for their own misguided purposes. Criticism is an insult only if it is untrue.

Although I have been avoiding this debate, I have to agree with everything that Keith P. has posted. Very well put.

Many years ago, I had a room-mate while at Dalhousie University (in Fenwick Towers) who would go to demonstrations just because he enjoyed going to demonstrations.

Empire
Oct 28, 2011, 12:10 AM
No. The buck begins and ends with the people; banks are simply management of the backbone's (the middle-class') productivity.

If the middle-class isn't the backbone, then why is it whenever a country's middle-class recedes then so does its economy?

The middle-class is the largest labour force and largest economic consumer.

Banks don't provide loans to small business?

And you disagree that small business are the biggest economic driver of the economy? Of course many will fail, that's the nature of capitalism.

And why are you using phrases like "the big bad government"? The government is unethical if it is subsidising businesses that DO NOT need help--when a large number of the country's populace DOES need the help.
"the big bad government" is a phrase that the protesters use.

The richest are not contributing their fair share.
The rich don't pay taxes? How much tax would an individual pay for an income of $500,000? Do you get a GST rebate?

The private sector, with respects to corporations and others rich enough to lobby the government, are successful because the tax code favours them; the allowance of shipping jobs overseas favours them; ignoring environmental consequences because it's cheaper favours them.

The few are favoured. The majority, even those with full-time careers, are debt slaves.
The few have made it and the majority are envious. If you are the majority and don't like it then change it by doing something more constructive than negative, draining, unproductive protesting.

Ok, I will defend something I didn't say:

Whether it be a bullet in the head of an Afghan, during a senseless war of fighting terrorism with an entire army (btw, Bin Laden is dead...and wasn't in Afghanistan), or a Canadian unable to find full-time employment that pays enough to feed their family--I would say banks and government kill people. I, myself, try to stay away from dramatic declarative statements such as this--but nevertheless I am responding to your apparent encounter with a protestor.

The odd thing about a thesis statement is that it requires a bit more digging.

I feel for the Canadian unable to find full-time employment that pays enough to feed their family but don't look for someone or something to blame. Alberta has a labour shortage to the tune of 60,000 but don't go there because big business may not be paying taxes....

Sure... Just like the public does after any event on public space.

The public usually doesn't stay there for weeks with tents full of garbage.

reddog794
Oct 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
A point about somebody threw down about the election and a majority government.

39.62% of the vote is not a majority. Our system is broken, or atleast well on its way to being broken, when you have 61.38% of the vote not matter when it comes to the making of our laws.

Please then, somebody explain to this "uneducated" member of the mass, how can a small group of people fudge the worlds top economy, and it's followers, and not be held accountable? If I poison somebody from the food I make, am I not held accountable? Oh wait that's right I am only a cook, and not a bean-counter.

Mind you I might as well be standing with a sign, unbathed, shouting slogans, because it seems thoughs who want accountability from those who brought us here, where 4l of Milk cost 9 bucks, are nothing but a bunch of slacks.

signed

A head of a lower income braket family.

Waye Mason
Oct 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
civ·il dis·o·be·di·ence
Noun:
The refusal to comply with certain laws or to pay taxes and fines, as a peaceful form of political protest.

Keith P.
Oct 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
ar-rest

Noun:
A seizure or forcible restraint; an exercise of the power to deprive a person of his or her liberty; the taking or keeping of a person in custody by legal authority, especially, in response to a criminal charge.

reddog794
Oct 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
probable cause

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship. The term freedom of expression is sometimes used synonymously, but includes any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on libel, slander, obscenity, incitement to commit a crime, etc.

shoot I can keep copying and pasting just like everybody else.

Just to flesh out the bones of contention people may have with those who are camping out on Grand Parade, from the CH

"The only municipal bylaw that appears to be on the books specifically about the Grand Parade is an ordinance passed in 1950. It prohibits people from leaving a vehicle on the Grand Parade without permission. Violators can be subject to a fine not exceeding $20 or imprisonment for a period not exceeding 10 days, said a document on the municipality’s website.

The same ordinance prohibits skateboarding as well."

Issue at hand though, any updates or news to report? Otherwise this feels like a soap box for everybody about everything...

fenwick16
Oct 28, 2011, 3:17 AM
There are a lot of interesting opinions being posted. One point to state though is that Canada's banking system is considered to be a model for the rest of the world. I think this is one reason that the Occupy NS demonstration isn't being taken seriously.

On the other hand, I often think that the Canadian and US stock markets are over-hyped by irresponsible stock promoters (i.e. investment experts) on TV and other media outlets. I often think that the stock market is no longer a form of investing but just gambling, or even a legalized pyramid scheme. So I have mixed feelings on all of this, but what is the solution? Neither banks nor the stock markets can be shut down; we need both.

-Harlington-
Oct 28, 2011, 3:46 AM
I tend to stay away from these kinds of debates but i would like to point out that i walked by this the other day and noticed a lot of the ''protesters'' are local recognizable homeless

Im not trying to generalize but this whole thing being in Halifax in the first place is kind of unnecessary

Its like they are all just following a trend for something to do, though i do recognize the problem in the US and such, just my opinion .

RyeJay
Oct 28, 2011, 4:25 AM
You sound like Boisquet.

You saying something is a fact does not make it so. You are merely expressing your opinion.

What's not an opinion: higher education, in the demands of today's job market, is not optional. Either study, in order to compete with everyone else out there that has a degree, or be satisfied forever with a low-paying job. In Canada, you cannot independently live on a low-paying job. You used to.

While other countries invest in their labour force and fund their achievement of a higher education, Canada is expecting the highly educated but has no GI program in place for a college level education. We have socialism in our funding of junior high, yes (unlike much of the developing world), high school, yes (unlike most of the developing world), but college, no: unlike most of the industrialised world.

In Canada, either be rich enough to afford to over-priced, required schooling...or go in debt.

Canada is on parity with the USA in our manufacturing industry, our increased poverty, declining middle-class, low quality of public education, household debt, student debt, corporate welfare, corporate lobbying; we are less screwed, but still screwed nonetheless.

With the baby boomers retiring, I wonder if Canada's economy will be able to service the needed healthcare. Projections are that we will not.

You say the world markets need to be reformed? I say Canada needs to start with Canada.

worldlyhaligonian
Oct 28, 2011, 5:34 AM
You saying something is a fact does not make it so. You are merely expressing your opinion.

What's not an opinion: higher education, in the demands of today's job market, is not optional. Either study, in order to compete with everyone else out there that has a degree, or be satisfied forever with a low-paying job. In Canada, you cannot independently live on a low-paying job. You used to.

While other countries invest in their labour force and fund their achievement of a higher education, Canada is expecting the highly educated but has no GI program in place for a college level education. We have socialism in our funding of junior high, yes (unlike much of the developing world), high school, yes (unlike most of the developing world), but college, no: unlike most of the industrialised world.

In Canada, either be rich enough to afford to over-priced, required schooling...or go in debt.

Canada is on parity with the USA in our manufacturing industry, our increased poverty, declining middle-class, low quality of public education, household debt, student debt, corporate welfare, corporate lobbying; we are less screwed, but still screwed nonetheless.

With the baby boomers retiring, I wonder if Canada's economy will be able to service the needed healthcare. Projections are that we will not.

You say the world markets need to be reformed? I say Canada needs to start with Canada.

There is some truth in some of the things you say, but the aging population aspect is a bit of malthusian hogwash. The babyboomers are richer and healthier than any generation in history and healthcare/technology isn't static.

Futhermore, Canada is pretty awesome for university in many ways. The US model of college/university? Give me a break, down there if you don't go to a top school you won't be successful. This exists to an extent in Canada, but our tuition is highly subsidized. A word of advice, don't go to university in Nova Scota. Do you know what an out of province student pays in Quebec? I'm talking like 5 grand a year, not a semester.

There is something called the C culture in europe due to the socialization of education in many countries. University is essentially free, so many students don't care about their marks. It doesn't make sense that every young person goes to college/university. If you really want to go there are cost effective ways of obtaining a BA or BSc or Bcomm for that matter... even at some top institutions.

You postulate that everybody needs to go to school as well, which is a major problem in Canada... too many people thinking that "school" is the path to success. Required schooling??? I've seen people with trades or no formal education make ridiculous sums of money in Canada due to our primary resource extraction economy.

I'm not rich by any standard and am not always working, but I'm paying for my masters and will be debt free. Plus, if I was from some target group, etc it would be even cheaper.

Nothing indicates to me that Canada is "screwed". US demand has always been our driver, but I think the BRIC is really going to change that. Look at the data yourself if you don't believe me... China only surpassed Japan's trade with Canada recently (within the last 5 or 6 years)

There are regional inequalities in Canada, but overall its likely the best country in the world in every category. The shipbuilding contract alone is massive for NS and the atlantic provinces.

Aya_Akai
Oct 28, 2011, 5:49 AM
Sorry to interrupt the Occupy Debate 2011 here lol, but I figured I'd stick this in here just because. If you recall the article from about a month ago regarding the redevelopment of the former mazda/subaru dealerships on Portland Street. It seems they're holding well with their schedule, as I recall they'd mentioned they would start demo in October.. well, I drove by yesterday and half of the former subaru building was reduced to a pile of rubble. I'll zip by tomorrow on my way home from work to see the progress made in the last couple days!

Dmajackson
Oct 28, 2011, 6:22 AM
I also hate to interrupt the debate but I took some photos of the upgraded Highway 118 out by Dartmouth Crossing I thought you'd like to see;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6034/6288302180_885a2dc1ab_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6053/6287767623_6457826c30_z.jpg

JET
Oct 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry to interrupt the Occupy Debate 2011 here lol, but I figured I'd stick this in here just because. If you recall the article from about a month ago regarding the redevelopment of the former mazda/subaru dealerships on Portland Street. It seems they're holding well with their schedule, as I recall they'd mentioned they would start demo in October.. well, I drove by yesterday and half of the former subaru building was reduced to a pile of rubble. I'll zip by tomorrow on my way home from work to see the progress made in the last couple days!

Do you know what they plan to put in that space?

Empire
Oct 28, 2011, 10:33 PM

If 30 homeless Halifax street kids decided to occupy the tents of the Occupy NS encampment citing it is their right to protest homelessness, what would the Occupy NS protesters do? What? Are they willing to share their tents?

kph06
Oct 29, 2011, 12:44 AM
Here is a photo by me of the old Blockbuster being torn down.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6231/6290419364_43d0b9d865_b.jpg

Aya_Akai
Oct 29, 2011, 3:03 AM
Do you know what they plan to put in that space?

Portland Street plans
Chedrawe to break ground in fall for retail buildings
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Mon, Sep 26 - 4:55 AM

DARTMOUTH — Developer Danny Chedrawe is planning a $10-million commercial project for Portland Street.

The president of Westwood Developments Ltd. expects to close a deal later this month to buy the two-hectare property that used to house Steele Auto Group’s Mazda dealership.

"We’re purchasing the former Mazda dealership and we’re building a commercial development on it," Chedrawe said.

"We’re hoping to start that in October."

Steele has already moved its Mazda dealership to its new digs on Baker Drive in Russell Lake West.

Chedrawe is planning to build two commercial buildings on the former car dealership site. One will be 6,000 square feet and the other will be twice that size.

Chedrawe wouldn’t name the two national retail tenants that will occupy the buildings.

"They have to make their own announcements. I can’t talk on their behalf."

The construction on the two buildings should be completed by next May, Chedrawe said.

Westwood Developments has several other projects on the go around the municipality. Those include a $25-million apartment building in north-end Halifax and a $10-million, four-storey office complex on Spring Garden Road that will house a TD Canada Trust branch.

The company also owns the Millstone Square Shopping Centre in Russell Lake West. That 72,000-square-foot complex is anchored by Sobeys and Kent Building Supplies.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Empire
Oct 29, 2011, 3:13 AM
This development will be a nice change from the endless car dealerships on this section of Portland St.

Former Steele Mazda on Portland:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax&hl=en&ll=44.671751,-63.525395&spn=0.000031,0.015578&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=28.297189,63.808594&vpsrc=6&hnear=Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=44.671776,-63.525223&panoid=fTcRoxA6ZbYHcI8evYDIgw&cbp=12,135,,0,0

Aya_Akai
Oct 29, 2011, 5:34 AM
Here's a quick video I shot on my way home from work today driving past the former dealerships site on Portland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqRuWQe6lM

Video ©Me

pblaauw
Oct 29, 2011, 11:46 PM
There was an Expression of Interest in the paper today, from VIA Rail, seeking proposals for some of its train station property.

ScovaNotian
Nov 5, 2011, 7:50 PM
Has anyone mentioned that they've cut windows into what used to be the Bay?

Keith P.
Nov 5, 2011, 10:25 PM
Has anyone mentioned that they've cut windows into what used to be the Bay?

Yes, I noticed that this week and forgot to post it. Makes sense if they are going to make it into office space. I did notice that they didn't match the existing windows at the east end though - hope they change those. Hopefully they will be able to remove the unsightly graffiti vandalism from the lower exterior.

resetcbu1
Nov 7, 2011, 4:55 AM
just wondering if anyone else can't view the herald web page?