PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

planarchy
Jun 1, 2012, 3:47 PM
thanks for that info, looks like a great addition to Gottingen Street. I have been watching the renos on this bulding and was worried that it might be a poor effort, and now the drawings and the Hub 2.0 info gives me optimism.

This is a fantastic project for the street. And its size is deceiving. Floor area for the finished building is around 15,000sf. You can grasp the scale better on the Maitland Street side.

someone123
Jun 1, 2012, 5:15 PM
Ah, they didn't say what it will be on the architect's website.

In the first rendering you can see that the building is fairly large and extends all the way back to Maitland.

JET
Jun 1, 2012, 5:25 PM
Ah, they didn't say what it will be on the architect's website.

In the first rendering you can see that the building is fairly large and extends all the way back to Maitland.

driving down Gottingen street the roofline does go back quite a bit, the back bit seems to be covered with an orange tarp, and initially that was a worry for me

someone123
Jun 1, 2012, 6:45 PM
driving down Gottingen street the roofline does go back quite a bit, the back bit seems to be covered with an orange tarp, and initially that was a worry for me

That reminds me of the Glubes Loft townhouse site, which looked horrible for a long time as they were doing renovations behind the old facade. It can be hard to make predictions based on how something looks mid-renovation.

Like I said, I'm mostly impressed with how quickly Gottingen is evolving. If it takes off I think it could really add a lot to the city, particularly if it is tied back in with the downtown core (we are already getting a bit of that with projects like the Citadel Hotel). I'd love to see Halifax as a more mid-sized city with a variety of vibrant neighbourhoods and a bigger, busier downtown core.

planarchy
Jun 1, 2012, 9:13 PM
That reminds me of the Glubes Loft townhouse site, which looked horrible for a long time as they were doing renovations behind the old facade. It can be hard to make predictions based on how something looks mid-renovation.

Like I said, I'm mostly impressed with how quickly Gottingen is evolving. If it takes off I think it could really add a lot to the city, particularly if it is tied back in with the downtown core (we are already getting a bit of that with projects like the Citadel Hotel). I'd love to see Halifax as a more mid-sized city with a variety of vibrant neighbourhoods and a bigger, busier downtown core.

Since you mention the Glubes, looks like they are on a second phase. You can see new walls going up behind the brick facade on Gottingen (http://goo.gl/maps/r3rm). Think this its called Glubes Courtyard Residences or something like that. Not sure how it will meet Gottingen Street, but nice to see more infill. They've been working on it for months.

someone123
Jun 1, 2012, 9:54 PM
Interesting. I wonder if they are replacing that building or if it is just a renovation of the part behind the facade? Hopefully there will still be storefronts along Gottingen afterward. The brick facade itself is not too bad.

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 2, 2012, 4:26 PM
Halifax is booming! We must have more construction than any of the smaller cities with higher populations!

This construction season alone is insane.

NewBalearic
Jun 3, 2012, 11:27 AM
It is very likely that Andy Fillmore is leaving HRM for the Director of Planning job at Dalhousie.

Big blow for HRMbyDesign, RP+5 and the Centre Plan projects...

Keith P.
Jun 3, 2012, 12:09 PM
What does the Director of Planning at Dal do? Is it a teaching job?

Frankly, this may be a good thing. Fillmore is smart, but he has led HRM down a rabbit hole in terms of promising all sorts of plans that really are more theoretical than useful and he also has a certain point of view that creeps into the results. Plus there seems to be turmoil within the HRM bureaucracy that he would probably be glad to be away from.

RyeJay
Jun 3, 2012, 1:42 PM
Halifax is booming! We must have more construction than any of the smaller cities with higher populations!

Halifax is booming -- in stark contrast to the rest of the province, especially Cape Breton.

The changes in EI will make this contrast even more dramatic.

someone123
Jun 3, 2012, 11:37 PM

It's an interesting time. It feels like many of the projects that were talked about but never quite happened for one reason or another are finally getting off the ground.

someone123
Jun 4, 2012, 5:22 PM
I think this photo from flickr shows the Hub 2.0 building under construction:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7332827466_bbf58c26d4_b.jpg
Source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/discop/7332827466/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

The foreground is the former Enviro Depot site which is supposed to be developed in 2013.

DigitalNinja
Jun 5, 2012, 3:32 PM
http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/2012-06-05/article-2996326/Halifaxs-Yellowstone/1

The plan for a huge park in HRM is unveiled. I don't think it's appropriate to compare it to Yellowstone though...

It's a good step in creating something close where people can go for a day and hike or go and camp within it. I personally will be using it a lot! I only hope that it will have some sort of bus service to go there depending on where the entrance it.

-Harlington-
Jun 5, 2012, 5:22 PM
:previous:

I think its a good idea, its a beautiful area and protecting more space like this could reduce sprawl at least just a bit

Heres the thread for the area: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=152942

someone123
Jun 5, 2012, 8:24 PM
The park sounds nice but the tone and content of the article are kind of warped.

Yellowstone isn't important because it's a big preserved space, it's important because it's a unique environment with rare geology and ecosystems. This potential park near Halifax doesn't seem remotely comparable and it's not clear that it's different from the millions of other acres in the same coastal NS ecosystem, such as the Williams-Colpitt Lake area which suddenly became a special wilderness area as soon as a developer wanted to put a subdivision there.

The other aspect of the article that rubs me the wrong way is the bloated sense of importance of the small number of people who go to these consultations. I noticed this because the author made a point of the "overwhelming support" at the meeting and because of the dramatic comment that people are "doing all they can do" by showing up.

The overwhelming support is meaningless. You are probably not going to get taxpayers to show up to these meetings because they are upset about a tiny percentage of their dollars going to a park, but they are the ones paying the cost. Others stand to gain far more if a park goes up in their neck of the woods and those are typically the ones you see at the meetings. The 200 people giving themselves high fives are not paying a significant part of the cost of this project.

Public "goodies" are falsely placed on the same level as projects built by private owners or projects that are necessary evils when they are gauged equally according to public opinion. That about as misguided as feeding your four year old a diet of ice cream because he voted down broccoli. The attendees are not four years olds but on average they tend to have a limited perspective biased towards immediate personal payoff that does not properly account for costs.

kwajo
Jun 6, 2012, 1:00 PM
That quote from Ray Plourde is more than a little over-the-top.

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 6, 2012, 1:53 PM
Hmm, they better shut their traps when they say "there are no parks / green space" in the future.

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 6, 2012, 1:54 PM
Cheers of applause, give me a break... have these people not been to one of our amazing parks in NS?

"Large quantities of biodiversity" ... they better not allow dogs, mountain bikers, etc.

eastcoastal
Jun 7, 2012, 10:03 AM
... Yellowstone isn't important because it's a big preserved space, it's important because it's a unique environment with rare geology and ecosystems. This potential park near Halifax doesn't seem remotely comparable and it's not clear that it's different from the millions of other acres in the same coastal NS ecosystem...

Public "goodies" are falsely placed on the same level as projects built by private owners or projects that are necessary evils when they are gauged equally according to public opinion. That about as misguided as feeding your four year old a diet of ice cream because he voted down broccoli. The attendees are not four years olds but on average they tend to have a limited perspective biased towards immediate personal payoff that does not properly account for costs.

Well put

kph06
Jun 12, 2012, 12:22 AM
The Potain mobile tower crane that was last up on Larry Uteck is now working on 222 Portland Street, a 4ish level apartment complex (photos by me):

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5279/7178384271_ea020bfae8_b.jpg

The building from the New Years Eve fire is now almost entirely demolished (behind the treatment plant):

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/7363614100_7049b64038_b.jpg

Northend Guy
Jun 12, 2012, 1:49 PM
From the Herald:

43-unit apartment building proposed for Primrose Street in Dartmouth
June 11, 2012 - 7:25pm By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

A new four-storey apartment building is being proposed in Dartmouth.

An application to consolidate 72 and 74 Primrose St., which are currently vacant lots at the Crystal Drive intersection near Albro Lake, and build a 43-unit building has been submitted to the city.

The building would feature primarily one-bedroom apartments, with five appliances, larger balconies and larger windows than currently exist in the area, said K.J. Gandhi, of Innovation Architects, who worked on the project.

“We are trying to put up a much better quality building than what is available in that area, with larger units, better facilities, and better finishes,” Gandhi said in a telephone interview Monday afternoon, hours before a scheduled public information meeting at the Dartmouth North Community Centre.

While designs aren’t available, he said three floors of the building’s exterior would be clad with brick, with the remaining floor featuring cement siding. There will be a sloping roof with shingles and 31 underground parking spots.

The plan is to set it back from Primrose Street, adjacent to an existing apartment building.

“We will try to retain the vegetation as much as possible that is in that area; that’s why we are setting the building behind because there are beautiful trees in the front,” Gandhi said.

Public records show that the vacant lots are owned by a numbered company headed by Alison Gerard, but they are subject to a purchase and sale agreement with a developer. Gandhi declined to name the developer.

Messages left for Gerard were not returned Monday.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 12, 2012, 5:11 PM
Its clearly too tall guys, maybe we should create a law... nothing over 1 story.

kph06
Jun 12, 2012, 5:15 PM
Not sure if these have been posted yet, but these (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/documents/17762Plans.pdf) are the plans from the HRM site.

Keith P.
Jun 12, 2012, 8:57 PM
The judicial hearing on the obstruction of the sale of the St Pat's-Alexandra school site occurred today. Not sure how it went. I was interested to hear the good Rev. Rhonda Brittain on a radio talk show this morning. She described the proposed Jono development as a monstrosity and spouted a bunch of anti-development/anti-height BS that would make Phil Pacey proud. She decried the proposed towers as "too TALL!!!" and said that something like the adjacent Brickyard townhouses would be far more appropriate for the site. For all the world, it sounded like she decided to gum up the works more for her hatred of tall buildings rather than any solid use for the site for her own purposes.

I hope the judge throws this out of court and lets Jono proceed.

someone123
Jun 12, 2012, 9:16 PM
The Brickyard area (I think it was originally called the Kidston Glass site or something similar) was originally going to be some lowrise loft type buildings but that was shot down about ten years ago. The townhouses that were eventually built are fine but that neighbourhood could have gotten much more out of a larger scale development, including the public and community space that people seem to want so badly.

They're not going to get a developer to pay the city $5M to demolish a large building and then use half of the land for townhouses. I suspect they don't care much if their plan isn't viable for a private developer because they'd probably be happy to turn this into a public project bankrolled by the city.

Aya_Akai
Jun 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kraFB.jpg

They've got the crane up for the new apartments going on on portland street (223 Portland, I think?) called "Harbour Vista Apartments"

HalifaxRetales
Jun 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
New path on Burnside Dr

http://halifax.retales.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/burnsidepath.jpg

why on earth did they install lighting in this already heavily light area

Keith P.
Jun 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
HRM has this insatiable need to waste money.

hoser111
Jun 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
Developer plans mixed-use building

June 13, 2012 - 5:03pm BY BRUCE ERSKINE BUSINESS REPORTER

Bylaw amendment sought for 5-storey Halifax structure

A rendering of Banc Developments plans for a five-storey building on the corner of Bayers Road and Oxford Street in Halifax. The first floor is expected to be set aside for commercial space.
Banc Developments Ltd. of Halifax plans to build a five-storey commercial-residential building at the site of a former service station on the corner of Bayers Road and Oxford Street.

“We hope to begin as soon as we get approvals,” Banc principal Besim Halef said Wednesday.

The Halifax developer has contracted W.M. Fares Group to apply to the municipality for an amendment to the Halifax Peninsula land use bylaw that would allow it to enter into a development agreement for the project, which would have 10,230 square feet of ground floor commercial space, 27 dwelling units and 29 parking spaces.

A public information meeting on the proposed development will be held at the Halifax Forum’s Maritime Hall at Windsor and Almon streets on June 27 at 7 p.m.

The rest here: http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/106763-developer-plans-mixed-use-building

someone123
Jun 14, 2012, 12:37 AM
I've made a new thread for this development: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199921

macgregor
Jun 14, 2012, 2:09 AM
Down by the Halterm Container terminal, the Port Authority bought some land from CN rail (was in the news several weeks ago). They got quickly to work on ripping up rails and they're working on the re-routing of Marginal Road (wider turns for trucks) and maybe expansion of the truck waiting yard. There's a small little building under construction too. New rail tracks are going in to replace the ones that were removed. You can see this all from the Young Avenue rail bridge.

JustinMacD
Jun 16, 2012, 6:00 PM
Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention. Are they going ahead really soon in building that new building at the corner of Tower and Inglis (SMU Campus)?

Walked by there today and looks like they're starting to rip up that parking lot.

pblaauw
Jun 17, 2012, 12:08 AM
Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention. Are they going ahead really soon in building that new building at the corner of Tower and Inglis (SMU Campus)?

Walked by there today and looks like they're starting to rip up that parking lot.

The Tower got renamed and is being expanded, probably with a new rink, as well as things mentioned in the link below.

Homburg Centre for Health and Wellness (http://www.smu.ca/homburg/welcome.html)

DigitalNinja
Jun 18, 2012, 2:05 AM
Yeah they are going to start to build the new TESL center soon.

DigitalNinja
Jun 18, 2012, 2:07 AM
Saw an ad for this development today. http://www.halifaxdevelopments.com/westhill-on-duke.php

Westhill on Duke. Basically a redevelopment of scotia square on the corner of Duke and Ablemarie. Looks like it addresses the corner better than the current set up, but still not 100%. Addition of another 4 floor building downtown is nice too!

fenwick16
Jun 18, 2012, 2:52 AM
Saw an ad for this development today. http://www.halifaxdevelopments.com/westhill-on-duke.php

Westhill on Duke. Basically a redevelopment of scotia square on the corner of Duke and Ablemarie. Looks like it addresses the corner better than the current set up, but still not 100%. Addition of another 4 floor building downtown is nice too!

Very interesting. It isn't a tall building but it will have 100,000 square feet of leasable space on three floors (equivalent to the Waterside but on just three floors). I am assuming that the entrance level floor is a renovation of existing space based on the floors plans (but I might be wrong). Here are the floor plans - http://www.halifaxdevelopments.com/westhill-on-duke-floor-plans.php. I am somewhat relieved that a tall building isn't being proposed for this site. I would rather see them go ahead with the International Tower if they want to add a significant tower.

The Google Street View - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax,+ns&ll=44.648765,-63.576905&spn=0.006244,0.016512&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&gl=ca&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=44.648728,-63.577063&panoid=VWjE0WxQppZaOjbCUnt8fw&cbp=12,30.94,,0,6.55. This is a rather bland corner, as it is now. So I think this has the potential of being a big improvement (I hope that they will also make plans for the opposite Cogswell corner).

(source: http://www.halifaxdevelopments.com/westhill-on-duke.php )
http://www.halifaxdevelopments.com/images/img-head-westhill.jpg

Aya_Akai
Jun 18, 2012, 5:45 AM

I love it, I wish it were taller though lol That will add a really cool aspect to that area, brick and concrete of the metro centre, scotia square and the apartment buildings meshed in with all that shiny glass :tup:

someone123
Jun 18, 2012, 6:29 AM
I just like that there will be something on that corner instead of a blank one storey concrete wall.

It would be amazing if they moved onto International Place in the next few years but it seems pretty unlikely given the number of recent office projects.

someone123
Jun 19, 2012, 3:36 AM
Restoration work is going to start soon on the St. Mary's glebe house on the corner of Barrington and Spring Garden Road.

Hopefully we will get more details soon about the rest of the St. Mary's block redevelopment. They can go up to 9 storeys under HRM by Design and the Grafton/Spring Garden corner is very prominent. It's also just a block away from the Nova Centre site and the planning Grafton Street canopy.

fenwick16
Jun 19, 2012, 5:42 AM
Restoration work is going to start soon on the St. Mary's glebe house on the corner of Barrington and Spring Garden Road.

When I read that story, I got the impression that the glebe house restoration has already been completed as phase II by Dora Construction (for which Joe Ramia provided advice). Phase I was the bascilica church hall renovation. Phase III is the potential third phase that Joe Ramia will be directly involved in as the developer and could include a building as tall as 92 feet based on HRM_by_Design guidelines.

someone123
Jun 19, 2012, 5:12 PM
Now that I had a second look it sounds like you're right.

Here's a recent photo of the site. The building does not look dramatically different but it does look a bit better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73203333@N05/7216695248/sizes/l/in/photostream/

2009 (note the flaking paint on the dormers): http://www.flickr.com/photos/annspan/3889986683/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I'm happy they didn't try to tear down the property. It's a nice heritage house and complements the church.

someone123
Jun 20, 2012, 12:09 AM
Does anybody know what state the Green Lantern/Keith Building on Barrington is currently in? It was on the Barrington Street Heritage District funding list but as far as I know no restoration work has taken place.

The building's upper floors were vacant for years after Hurricane Juan, and the ground floor of the facade has been heavily altered in some pretty unattractive ways. The corrugated metal storefront is particularly bad.

Waye Mason
Jun 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
My understanding is the owner wants to convert it to residential but it is wood framed... fire marshal wants significant changes to allow it.

spaustin
Jun 20, 2012, 3:46 AM
I don't know, I think the Westhill addition to Scotia Square is pretty underwhelming. Yes it adds some new office space, which is good, and it's new construction Downtown which is nice to see, but the design isn't anything special. It does nothing in terms of improving the street level experience. The entrance is set way back, there is nothing animated at ground level and it doesn't look like it relates to the corner at all. It's essentially continues all of Scotia Square's mistakes with slightly less hostile glass instead of concrete.

halifaxboyns
Jun 20, 2012, 5:05 PM
Developer, church have vision for 'most important street corner in Halifax'
(from the CH online)
The corner of Spring Garden Road and Barrington Street was once the gateway into the city, and a new development concept there could become an area for “various expressions of civic life,” said the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth.

Archbishop Anthony Mancini unveiled his vision for Cathedral Centre on Tuesday morning at the newly renovated Saint Mary’s Glebe House, along with Robert Salah and Joe Ramia, head of Rank Inc., who will oversee development of the site.

The refurbished glebe, Saint Mary’s Cathedral Basilica, the church hall, the Catholic pastoral building, as well as surrounding lands that extend from Barrington to Grafton Street will comprise the Cathedral Centre.

“It’s a concept that comes from the realization that this is the centre of the city, this is the most important street corner in Halifax,” Mancini told reporters convened on the first floor of the glebe, first built in 1891.

A future component of the site could be a mixed-use, multiple-unit affordable housing building, with ground-floor commercial, the archbishop said.

“We’d like to be able to help people who have lived in this area have a place to live in. Most cities, people leave the centre, and we would like to be able to, somehow, not only keep the ones that are here, but maybe even attract a few others to come here, because the centre of the city is what makes a place vibrant.”

The property includes parking lots and the former Saint Mary’s boys school on Grafton Street, which may eventually be redeveloped into a commercial or retail component of Cathedral Centre as a future income stream.

“We also want it to be a development that will generate some funds,” Mancini said. “That’s the whole point of the exercise, so I’m not ashamed of saying that.

“We’re trying to find ways to for the church to carry on what we’re here to do, but with the ways and the means that are of this particular time and of this particular place.”

The rest of the article is here:
Article Link (http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/business/108842-developer-church-have-vision-for-most-important-street-corner-in-halifax)

Keith P.
Jun 20, 2012, 9:01 PM
I have mentioned this before, but I think that the old St Mary's Boys School building would make an awesome boutique hotel with the right renovations. The location would be tremendous.

someone123
Jun 20, 2012, 9:39 PM
I have mentioned this before, but I think that the old St Mary's Boys School building would make an awesome boutique hotel with the right renovations. The location would be tremendous.

There was an article a few years ago about plans to expand the Seven building into a boutique hotel that would also be built over the small parking lot next door. I guess nothing ever came of that.

Does Halifax have any modern boutique hotels downtown?

W.Sobchak
Jun 20, 2012, 10:00 PM
Haliburton Hotel, on Morris street is the only Boutique hotel in the city. Nice experience, if not ever so slightly dated feel. The restaurant is top notch too.

just as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but imagine the STV folks going to war with the Catholic Church...

Aya_Akai
Jun 21, 2012, 2:53 AM
..just as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but imagine the STV folks going to war with the Catholic Church...

I think the one time in my life I'd safely say with confidence I'd be on the church's side :haha:

someone123
Jun 23, 2012, 8:04 AM
Haliburton Hotel, on Morris street is the only Boutique hotel in the city. Nice experience, if not ever so slightly dated feel. The restaurant is top notch too.

Right, I forgot about that one. It is a bit older but was a higher end place. I guess it must have been one of the early higher end businesses in that part of town.

On a completely unrelated note, here's a nice photo of the Chickenburger from flickr:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7422080950_ede0d2cfff_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meddygarnet/7422080950/sizes/l/in/photostream/

The "Mary Ann" sign for the Clyde Street lot is also visible in the background.

kph06
Jun 23, 2012, 5:02 PM
The expansion of the Eastern Passage waste water treatment plant has been ongoing for a number of months now. Photo by me:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7426399606_46a82e24cb_b.jpg

Waye Mason
Jun 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure what the timeline is but the development by St. Mary's Basilica around Spring Garden and Grafton is going to move forward at some point. Here are some slides that give an overview of the project: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31969192/Town%20Hall%20Cathedral%20Center%20Development%20Presntation%20-%2025%20Apr%20(2)%20REVISED%202MJS.pdf

I am pretty happy with what they plan to do, which is renovate the historic buildings and then build on the Grafton parking lot and a second empty lot in the middle of the block. A while ago it sounded like they might have been interested in tearing down the older brick buildings on Grafton but that no longer seems to be the plan.

A parishioner has pointed out that the parking lot is a parking lot because under it is a graveyard, which is the same problem around the old library, actually, that lawn of the Memorial (south and southwest) was the paupers grave.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/06/23/ns-invisible-graveyard.html

Waye Mason
Jun 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
I hadn't read that PDF until now, they knew/recognized that they need a memorial to the dead on the site... so this is a known issue for the developer and the Archdiocese.

someone123
Jun 24, 2012, 5:27 PM
A parishioner has pointed out that the parking lot is a parking lot because under it is a graveyard, which is the same problem around the old library, actually, that lawn of the Memorial (south and southwest) was the paupers grave.

It's not unusual to relocate graves like that, particularly when they are unmarked and in the middle of a city. Of course in Halifax you will have people saying that it can't possibly be done, and that this lot should forever be left empty.

kph06
Jun 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
Two things I noticed while driving around this weekend:

- The old Ultramar on Robie has a construction fence around it and a few machines on site. I don't think we've seen plans for this site yet. Might this just be remediation work?

- Site work is underway on a new building at Windsor Park.

fenwick16
Jun 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
- Site work is underway on a new building at Windsor Park.

This would probably be for a large new armoury with 11,000 square meters of space (118,000 square feet). Here is a link - http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=67308

Northend Guy
Jun 27, 2012, 1:15 PM
I just noticed two items in the last two days. First the Petrocan on Joe Howe just got what appears to be a demolition fence up around it. Not sure if it is closed permanently? Maybe some else has some insight into this.

Another one that someone might know something about is on Strawberry Hill, immediately behind McDonald's & the old Swiss Chalet site, there is some sort of site work going on.

Keith P.
Jun 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
I just noticed two items in the last two days. First the Petrocan on Joe Howe just got what appears to be a demolition fence up around it. Not sure if it is closed permanently? Maybe some else has some insight into this.

I saw that too. Today there was a crane truck there taking the PetroCanada signage down. I wonder if they gave up because of the discount Loblaw station across the street? Too bad - I dislike Loblaw intensely.

Another one that someone might know something about is on Strawberry Hill, immediately behind McDonald's & the old Swiss Chalet site, there is some sort of site work going on.

That was supposed to be a new Harvey's.

I noticed yesterday that the old A.E. Fowles/Taylor Mercury/Factory 21 car showroom on Almon also has demolition fencing around it, so it appears it is not long for this world. That makes me sad, as when it was new in the '60s it was a very cool space.

-Harlington-
Jun 28, 2012, 12:31 AM
I heard that factory 21 is going to be a new rona store and the pierceys land will most likely be sold

And the petro thing, theres one on bayers rd that does good business the superstore one across the street and an esso (I think) on dutch village so it makes sense that one of them would close
I guess we can look forward to another empty lot there .

someone123
Jun 28, 2012, 12:44 AM
If and when Piercey's is redeveloped I hope it's done properly. The Shoppers on the corner of that block is awful -- what a wasted opportunity.

Jstaleness
Jun 28, 2012, 3:10 AM
If and when Piercey's is redeveloped I hope it's done properly. The Shoppers on the corner of that block is awful -- what a wasted opportunity.

I know of no new Shoppers that help a corner. Robie, Dutch Village and now even the Portland St. Portland at least being the worst offender of the three.

someone123
Jun 28, 2012, 4:48 AM
I know of no new Shoppers that help a corner. Robie, Dutch Village and now even the Portland St. Portland at least being the worst offender of the three.

This is really the fault of the city. If you don't have regulations the chains will build the same suburban garbage they do everywhere else.

It's actually even worse because there are plenty of HRM regulations that encourage sprawl -- parking requirements, setbacks and angle control, etc.

HalifaxRetales
Jun 28, 2012, 8:00 AM
the Pierceys land as well as pretty much the entire block across the street including those apartment buildings and the old Ultramar land is all owned by the Bragg's

They should build themselves a new Eastlink HQ on the Pierceys land and develop something massive on the Macara Block

ILoveHalifax
Jun 28, 2012, 9:41 AM
I understand that the old ultramar property on the corner of Bilby is one of the locations for a 19 story apartment. Would be great to see somme great highrise on the Piercey's site as well possibly with retail/mixed use at ground level. It would be great to widen Robie St on that section to allow a small boulevard in the centre of the street, safe for pedestrians.

Northend Guy
Jun 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
That was supposed to be a new Harvey's.

I know about the Harvey's too. I just realized that the work that I am seeing must be related to the new armoury. Looks like they must be connecting the sewer services to the little street behind McDonald's.

Northend Nerd
Jun 29, 2012, 12:26 PM
There was a great 2-3 minute segment on downtown Halifax development on CTV last night. Mentioning the Citadel redevelopment, Nova Centre, TD Building, Barrington St projects and the Cunard block.

Skip to 11:33

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=711726

RyeJay
Jun 29, 2012, 2:43 PM
There was a great 2-3 minute segment on downtown Halifax development on CTV last night. Mentioning the Citadel redevelopment, Nova Centre, TD Building, Barrington St projects and the Cunard block.

Skip to 11:33

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=711726

Thanks for the link. I appreciate this optimistic news segment about Halifax's downtown.

"Two hotels being built at the same time, by two different chains, on the same block" is music to my ears!!

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 29, 2012, 8:19 PM
How long before some wingnut recommends that the land be turned into a park or urban farm or some other outlandish statement.

A small park as a part of a multiple tower development would be nice.

Jstaleness
Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
That was a very positive news story. Finally some big things happening right downtown.

fenwick16
Jun 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
The following story was in the Chronicle Herald. It is good to see a Halifax developer being recognized for his service to the community.

Wadih Fares, Silver Donald Cameron awarded Order of Canada
June 29, 2012 - 5:00pm By PAUL McLEOD Ottawa Bureau
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/FARES_CAMERON.jpg

OTTAWA — A business titan and a prolific author are the newest Nova Scotians to be named as members of the Order of Canada.

Wadih Fares, 55, a Halifax developer and philanthropist, will be inducted “for his contributions to Nova Scotia as an entrepreneur, community leader and committed volunteer,” a release said.

Silver Donald Cameron, 75, a Halifax writer and environmentalist, is being inducted “for his contributions as a journalist, writer, educator, consultant and dedicated community activist,” the release said.

Fares is president of WM Fares Group, which among other things is completing work on the $41-million, 19-storey Trillium condo project on South Park Street in Halifax.

Fares sits on the boards of directors of many community-shaping organizations ranging from Dalhousie University to the Halifax International Airport Authority to the QEII Foundation.

“I’m honoured and really humbled with this whole thing,” Fares told The Chronicle Herald about his Order of Canada induction.

“You’re at a loss for words to describe how great that is.”

Fares came to Nova Scotia from Lebanon at age 18 to go to university. His home country was in the midst of civil war, and his mother did not want him to stay there. Fares spoke almost no English but thought he would be fine in Canada. After all, he figured, he spoke French and it’s a bilingual country.
Full Story and source - http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/112278-wadih-fares-silver-donald-cameron-awarded-order-of-canada

SekishikiMeikaiHa
Jul 4, 2012, 2:52 AM
The former Cafe Chianti corner:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7498536222_50aac5b846_b.jpg

Copes
Jul 4, 2012, 1:35 PM
The following story was in the Chronicle Herald. It is good to see a Halifax developer being recognized for his service to the community.

Fares is a great man. He was willing to sit down with me earlier this year and provide me with some career advice regarding how to enter the development industry. I messaged him completely out of the blue on LinkedIn, simply looking for an email response, and instead he booked a meeting with me the next time I was home in Halifax. Sure enough, I took his advice to heart and ended up with a job in the industry upon my graduation.

It's great to see him recognized with such an honour.

SekishikiMeikaiHa
Jul 5, 2012, 6:14 PM
Delta Barrington Renovations:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8022/7509107108_a1bfd4986c_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7509111476_c9e2a36f43_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/7509110524_878856bf43_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7509109724_583e02649c_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7509108886_832ac69092_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8428/7509108012_ef6407cae8_b.jpg

someone123
Jul 5, 2012, 8:03 PM
Nice to see renderings of the renovations. I remember visiting relatives staying in that hotel when I was little, sometime in the early-mid 90's. Back then the hotel itself seemed pretty nice and the mall in behind was quite busy and full of stores, including a toy store that was interesting to me at the time. Today there doesn't seem to be much in that mall or in Scotia Square other than stores that cater to office workers. I think it was a bit of a mistake to build such inwardly-focused retail space downtown. The newer City Centre Atlantic seems like a much better model -- there are some spaces inside but they're opened to a major tenant, Pete's, which has a big street presence. On top of that they have a lot of residents nearby, not just office workers.

A couple years ago I stayed at the Delta Halifax and it was pretty nice. The bar and restaurant was packed and loud, but before I stayed there I didn't really know it existed. That's one of the problems with giant bunker type developments I guess. It's okay if they're a destination that a lot of people know about but without the street visibility and traffic (vehicle and pedestrian), it must be harder for many types of businesses to establish themselves.

Keith P.
Jul 5, 2012, 10:16 PM
Those corrugated metal-clad bay windows have been ugly from day one. I wish they could address that some day.

someone123
Jul 5, 2012, 10:25 PM
Those corrugated metal-clad bay windows have been ugly from day one. I wish they could address that some day.

I guess that awful stuff was in vogue around 1980. In a way it's better than the teal faux copper sheeting on some more recent buildings.

I have a feeling it was considered necessary to build a square four storey building with faux historic elements to complement the real heritage facades on the other side of the block. It's too bad, because had they gone a bit taller on the Barrington side they could have had a nice tall lobby level and more architectural interest. With a setback from the eastern side of the block the Barrington side would not have been visible from Granville.

Hopefully the TD renovation will demonstrate what can be done with these older buildings.

terrynorthend
Jul 6, 2012, 1:55 AM
...I remember visiting relatives staying in that hotel when I was little, sometime in the early-mid 90's. ...

I worked there in a few departments in 1991! Mostly banquets but also night audit/front desk, the occasional room service runs. Even did a month long stint in the laundry room during the quiet season.

It was a nice hotel then. Small and showing a little age at that time, but a fun experience working there, I must say. You meet a lot of interesting people working in a hotel.

Dmajackson
Jul 6, 2012, 8:40 PM
THE QUINN CONDOMINIUMS (Viridian Drive (near Woodland Avenue), Dartmouth);

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7516643864_4201fc273f_z.jpg

www.quinncondo.com (http://www.quinncondo.com/index.html)

haligonia
Jul 6, 2012, 9:47 PM
Ugh. They even used the quintessential "happy woman riding the happy man" picture. :yuck:

cormiermax
Jul 6, 2012, 9:48 PM
Could be worse I guess, although it looks pretty awful.

terrynorthend
Jul 6, 2012, 10:30 PM
They even used the quintessential "happy woman riding the happy man" picture. :yuck:

Umm, I totally had to scroll back up to see what you meant... I was expecting a much different picture! :jester:

fenwick16
Jul 7, 2012, 2:02 AM
THE QUINN CONDOMINIUMS (Viridian Drive (near Woodland Avenue), Dartmouth);

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7516643864_4201fc273f_z.jpg

www.quinncondo.com (http://www.quinncondo.com/index.html)

I think the proposal looks quite good.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 7, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm expecting it to look nothing like that rendering at to be clad entirely in vinyl siding.

macgregor
Jul 8, 2012, 2:37 PM
I can't find the post/thread, but saw that there are excavators excavating at the lot on Robie Street between Bilby and Macara. They're down a couple feet so far.

haligonia
Jul 8, 2012, 3:04 PM
I think the proposal looks quite good.

What looks even remotely good about this? No street presence, no defined style, terrible faux heritage elements and typical cladding. Yuck. :yuck:

I can't find the post/thread, but saw that there are excavators excavating at the lot on Robie Street between Bilby and Macara. They're down a couple feet so far.

I noticed that last night... i can't remember if anything's been posted about that lot or not.

fenwick16
Jul 8, 2012, 3:51 PM
What looks even remotely good about this? No street presence, no defined style, terrible faux heritage elements and typical cladding. Yuck. :yuck:

What type of street presence do you expect in a residential neighbourhood? Surely you aren't expecting street level retail on this street - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Viridian+Drive,+halifax,+ns&ll=44.688694,-63.568048&spn=0.003303,0.008256&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Viridian+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&gl=ca&t=h&z=18

I expect that many residents that will find this style appealing. I like the roof style; the interesting, varying facade; the dormer-style upper level windows; the balconies; lower level stone-work; and underground parking + surface-level parking.

This is a suburban style residence, it wouldn't be suitable for the urban core but it fits into the residential neighbourhood that it is being built in.

To top it all off, look at how happy the couple is to be home.

http://www.quinncondo.com/images/template/template_18.jpg

MonctonRad
Jul 8, 2012, 4:20 PM

Touche..... :tup: :haha:

haligonia
Jul 8, 2012, 4:42 PM
What type of street presence do you expect in a residential neighbourhood? Surely you aren't expecting street level retail on this street - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Viridian+Drive,+halifax,+ns&ll=44.688694,-63.568048&spn=0.003303,0.008256&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Viridian+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&gl=ca&t=h&z=18

I expect that many residents that will find this style appealing. I like the roof style; the interesting, varying facade; the dormer-style upper level windows; the balconies; lower level stone-work; and underground parking + surface-level parking.

This is a suburban style residence, it wouldn't be suitable for the urban core but it fits into the residential neighbourhood that it is being built in.

I'll accept that we have varying views on the design. However, I disagree that this building shouldn't have street presence just because it is in a suburban neighbourhood. We need to be creating pedestrian-oriented suburbs that aren't necessarily urban, but are decidedly walkable. This mid-rise from Toronto is a good example of what I think should be the cornerstone of suburban development:
http://www.condo-living-west.com/toblog/images/jade-render1.jpg
Source (http://www.condo-living-west.com/tobuzz/2011/02/toronto-jade-condominiums/)

Obviously, suburbs need a mixture of multi-unit and single family homes. So why not mix buildings such as this with pedestrian-friendly retail to create a sort of "main street" for the suburb. Add in some single family homes on the surrounding streets, transit options, parks and amenities and you'd have the perfect community.

I think that our suburbs should be created with a sort of small town model, rather than a bedroom community model.

I sincerely hope that this was sarcastic.

fenwick16
Jul 8, 2012, 4:43 PM

I remember reading about a proposal at that location but I haven't been able to find any information.

It is good to hear that something is moving ahead.

fenwick16
Jul 8, 2012, 5:04 PM
I'll accept that we have varying views on the design. However, I disagree that this building shouldn't have street presence just because it is in a suburban neighbourhood. We need to be creating pedestrian-oriented suburbs that aren't necessarily urban, but are decidedly walkable. This mid-rise from Toronto is a good example of what I think should be the cornerstone of suburban development:
http://www.condo-living-west.com/toblog/images/jade-render1.jpg
Source (http://www.condo-living-west.com/tobuzz/2011/02/toronto-jade-condominiums/)

Have you ever been to Toronto? You just showed a proposal for an area next to a subway line and major mall. Can you seriously think that this location in Halifax - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Viridian+Drive,+halifax,+ns&ll=44.688694,-63.568048&spn=0.003303,0.008256&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Viridian+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&gl=ca&t=h&z=18 will generate the same level of pedestrian traffic as this location in Toronto - http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=Bayview+and+Sheppard,+toronto&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x882b2d4eef6f80d9:0xb296c00b4e81454d,Bayview+Ave+%26+Sheppard+Ave+E,+Toronto,+ON&gl=ca&sa=X&ei=Frr5T_BA4-LRAZvTjfMG&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

EDITED: Actually the Jade proposal for Toronto doesn't have street-level retail it is just exercise rooms and the like for the condominium. It is just a different style than the Quinn. Here is the street view (below). I actually like the street view of the Quinn better. This is just a question of personal taste. I like the Quinn because it has a country estate type of appearance.

Toronto Jade street view
http://www.condo-living-west.com/toblog/images/jade-render2.jpg

What makes the above proposal so much better than the one below?

http://www.quinncondo.com/images/template/template_18.jpg

Although I like the proposal that you posted, I have lived in the GTA for 30 years now and I am sure that if you compare similar areas in the GTA and HRM then the Quinn proposal would be considered to be an appealing design in the GTA. The Quinn proposal would fit in well in many residential areas of Oakville or Burlington (western GTA).

haligonia
Jul 8, 2012, 5:34 PM
Have you ever been to Toronto? You just showed a proposal for an area next to a subway line and major mall. Can you seriously think that this location in Halifax - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Viridian+Drive,+halifax,+ns&ll=44.688694,-63.568048&spn=0.003303,0.008256&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Viridian+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia&gl=ca&t=h&z=18 will generate the same level of pedestrian traffic as this location in Toronto - http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&q=Bayview+and+Sheppard,+toronto&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x882b2d4eef6f80d9:0xb296c00b4e81454d,Bayview+Ave+%26+Sheppard+Ave+E,+Toronto,+ON&gl=ca&sa=X&ei=Frr5T_BA4-LRAZvTjfMG&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

If it was designed as a mixed-use, walkable community, then yes, it would generate pedestrian traffic. The reason that suburbs don't have very much pedestrian traffic is because they are designed to cater to cars, not people. On the contrary, small towns aren't always dense, however they are usually quite walkable. Suburbs should be more like small towns.

Although I like the proposal that you posted, I have lived in the GTA for 30 years now and I am sure that if you compare similar areas in the GTA and HRM then the Quinn proposal would be considered to be an appealing design in the GTA. The Quinn proposal would fit in well in many residential areas of Oakville or Burlington (western GTA). The Toronto Jade proposal would work on a busy Halifax Street such as Spring Garden Road. But obviously not on Viridian Drive in Dartmouth.

I didn't say that the building from Toronto would work on Viridian Drive, but I was using it as an example of what modern suburbs should be like. I have been to Toronto, and most parts of Burlington and Oakville are terribly designed. We shouldn't be using them as models for our suburban development.

Read the rest of my post, I think I explained myself quite clearly. :shrug:

EDIT: Basically, I think that buildings like the one proposed for Viridian Drive are horrible and unsustainable, but they are only proposed as a result of poor planning.

DigitalNinja
Jul 8, 2012, 7:13 PM
I remember reading about a proposal at that location but I haven't been able to find any information.

It is good to hear that something is moving ahead.

We have a thread about it, I posted in it that I saw them starting to dig on that site.

fenwick16
Jul 8, 2012, 7:22 PM
We have a thread about it, I posted in it that I saw them starting to dig on that site.

Thanks DigitalNinja but which thread is it?

Keith P.
Jul 8, 2012, 7:51 PM
If it was designed as a mixed-use, walkable community, then yes, it would generate pedestrian traffic. The reason that suburbs don't have very much pedestrian traffic is because they are designed to cater to cars, not people. On the contrary, small towns aren't always dense, however they are usually quite walkable. Suburbs should be more like small towns.[quote]

That's not realistic. Small towns have their own shops, restos, gas station, etc., because of the distance factor from their nearest competitor. Do you really expect those in a suburb? There is not a critical mass of customers to make them viable.

[quote]
EDIT: Basically, I think that buildings like the one proposed for Viridian Drive are horrible and unsustainable, but they are only proposed as a result of poor planning.

Unsustainable? What does that even mean? It is rapidly becoming the most overused term in urban circles. A building like this with a C-store, a dry cleaner and a women's gym in the ground level doesn't make anything more "sustainable". :koko:

someone123
Jul 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
All else being equal I do think most people would prefer to be able to walk to the park or walk to a convenience or grocery store from their house. I also think that kids who can walk to school or walk/bike to friends' houses are a lot better off than the ones out in suburbia who have to be shuttled around everywhere. People pay a lot of money to live on the peninsula and these sorts of conveniences are some of the main benefits of living there.

It may be hard to allow for these things with Kingswood-style development where everybody has an acre of land, but in medium-density areas with multi-unit buildings I don't that is the case. I think Halifax just has a lot of poor quality, uncreative suburban development.

haligonia
Jul 9, 2012, 12:44 AM
That's not realistic. Small towns have their own shops, restos, gas station, etc., because of the distance factor from their nearest competitor. Do you really expect those in a suburb? There is not a critical mass of customers to make them viable.

:koko: Suburbs already have all of those things! take Clayton Park, for example. It has restaurants, shops and services along streets like Lacewood and in Bayers Lake, but they are surrounded by parking and so far away from homes that walking isn't an easily viable option.

Unsustainable? What does that even mean? It is rapidly becoming the most overused term in urban circles. A building like this with a C-store, a dry cleaner and a women's gym in the ground level doesn't make anything more "sustainable". :koko:

I agree that the word is becoming very overused, both in and out of urban circles. However, it does speak to the point that I was trying to make. Buildings such as this one are designed with auto dependence in mind, which is arguably the most environmentally and economically unsustainable model in modern urban planning.

DigitalNinja
Jul 9, 2012, 2:00 AM
Thanks DigitalNinja but which thread is it?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197052&page=5

Here, didn't have time to find and post a link when I originally posted.

fenwick16
Jul 9, 2012, 2:22 AM
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197052&page=5

Here, didn't have time to find and post a link when I originally posted.

I am not sure if that is the location that macgregor described. I thought that it would be this lot - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=3065+Robie+Street,+halifax,+ns&ll=44.65799,-63.599807&spn=0.0058,0.033023&sll=44.659259,-63.601721&layer=c&cbp=11,29.42,,0,-2.4&cbll=44.65799,-63.599807&gl=ca&hnear=3065+Robie+St,+Halifax,+Nova+Scotia+B3K+2A2&t=h&z=16&panoid=UAaYwFx4P-YmHwsWy7ch1Q that macgregor described in his post below. (not the 19 storey tower at 3065 Robie Street)

DigitalNinja
Jul 9, 2012, 3:10 AM
That post was a discussion about all 4 properties that were being developed, I couldn't find any particular info on this one so I posted it there. And yeah, it is that lot, the one by the Eastlink building.

eastcoastal
Jul 9, 2012, 10:45 AM
...To top it all off, look at how happy the couple is to be home.

... or they've gone mad from suburban isolation and she's riding him to their escape?