PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Colin May
May 10, 2014, 10:13 PM
Exactly. The RP+5 original and newer draft are both a disaster, both in text and in the result. Planning staff essentially would prefer community groups and urbanist stakeholders to shut up, so they can continue with the sprawl planning (because it's really easy... sprawl planning is no planning and less work). Good planning is hard work. So an overworked planning staff is going to lead to bad planning. Period.

I totally agree that a bunch of crappy previously approved sprawl developments should be scrapped, and HRM double down on intensifying peninsular residential densification and ending the perpetual sprawl.

Here is what RP+5 should do:

Immediate moratorium on any more office and commercial space development outside the core for 10 years. Just like London, Ontario.

Dartmouth Crossing should be frozen. Period. Re-zone half that garbage pit into urban forest and block any new residential, retail, or commercial space development. Industrial development could be allowed on specific application.

Similar for Burnside -- no more sprawl expansiveness, stealing office tenants from downtown by sprawl crap.

Immediate moratorium on any more HRM land sales for residential sprawl development for decades until reserve lands used.

Could also follow Ottawa, which placed a moratorium on downtown development charges in 1994 to incentivize more residential development in Ottawa's core. This, too, was a success, attracting 1,100 new people to the core.

We should be making significant policy moves like this.
Quite radical.
The centre councillors don't have the votes to make serious changes to RP+5 and therefore the province should use its powers and act boldly in support of the regional centre. McNeil won't do that because he doesn't want to take a bold stance on anything that may upset voters.

xanaxanax
May 11, 2014, 11:23 PM
HRM staff recommending sale of St Pat's Alexandra and rejection of community bid.

" It is recommended that Halifax Regional Council:

1. Decline the proposal from the North Central Community Council Association, as per the
Evaluation of Submissions for the Disposal of St. Pat’s Alexandra (Attachment B); and
2. Conditional upon the satisfactory resolution of any remaining appeals of the Supreme
Court decision of September 24, 2012, direct HRM staff to proceed to sell the property at
market value, as per the “Special Procedure for Disposal of St. Pat’s Alexandra” (see
Attachment A for “Appendix A” from the October 30, 2012 Regional Council motion) "

http://halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/140513ca1113.pdf

NCCC's 250 adorable homes over 3.8-acre always seemed wasteful use of central city land to me and pictured it being Uniacke Square 2.0 and very low density of 2 story houses with massive parking lots

What are Jono Developments Ltd plans for this site, was he not willing to work with some of these groups to provide some space for them?

Hali87
May 12, 2014, 6:27 PM
New lighting going up along SGR:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/14170776005_0f28fbc92f.jpg
Source (https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/14170776005_0f28fbc92f.jpg)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/13984197677_c00e86be1c.jpg
Source (https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/13984197677_c00e86be1c_s.jpg)

xanaxanax
May 12, 2014, 6:49 PM
Those lampposts look the absolute worst like something out of a old sci fi dystopian film. So sterile and boring, I bet some bureaucratic knob said he wanted something futuristic

Hali87
May 12, 2014, 7:03 PM
I like them...

Keith P.
May 12, 2014, 10:50 PM
Those lampposts look the absolute worst like something out of a old sci fi dystopian film. So sterile and boring, I bet some bureaucratic knob said he wanted something futuristic

I bet some Danish architect designed them...:rolleyes:

Colin May
May 13, 2014, 12:21 AM
I bet some Danish architect designed them...:rolleyes:
Bought at a local dentist-going-out-of-business sale.

mcmcclassic
May 13, 2014, 12:57 AM
There is construction at Penhorn Plaza for a new strip mall (technically an extension of the area). Looks to be going where part of the Sobey's FastFuel parking lot is now.

pblaauw
May 13, 2014, 4:29 AM
Shannon Park (http://www.clc.ca/properties/shannon-park) is now listed on the Canada Lands Corp. site.

OldDartmouthMark
May 13, 2014, 7:43 PM
Café Chianti was there and at one time there was a shoe store in this block as well. There were residences above the ground floor retail.

Here's a link to the original story of the fire:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/tenants-homeless-restaurants-closed-by-halifax-fire-1.874934

OldDartmouthMark
May 13, 2014, 7:45 PM
I like them...

Me too, actually. :shrug:

Dmajackson
May 14, 2014, 2:41 AM
I watched a fair bit of the St Pat's - Alexandria debate at Regional Council tonight. Following a 7-10 vote rejecting staff's recommendation it council voted to move the potential sale to NCCC forward.

A staff report discussing the terms-of-sale and buy-back agreement will be generated in the coming months.

Colin May
May 14, 2014, 3:11 AM
I watched a fair bit of the St Pat's - Alexandria debate at Regional Council tonight. Following a 7-10 vote rejecting staff's recommendation it council voted to move the potential sale to NCCC forward.

A staff report discussing the terms-of-sale and buy-back agreement will be generated in the coming months.
The appeal by Jonjo can be viewed live online. The link is on the Herald story.

xanaxanax
May 14, 2014, 3:44 AM

Well that sucks. The JONO plans were offering more affordable housing than than the NCCC group could accommodate and they seemed willing to work with them on space for the none for profit groups. The JONO development was going offer some high dentistry to be a mixed of town houses, apartments, condos and retail and offered up some community space, it was in there agreement bid for it to have percentage of affordable housing, this was going to become a truly divers and vibrant community and now we have Uniacke Square 2.0 with some low density town houses in the heart of central city land just because some none for profit group tugged city council heart strings gave puppy dug eyes and said a lot of bull shit about gentrification twisted facts and Jennifer watts being against anything thats taller than her.

I doubt the appeal by Jonjo has any slim chance of winning but I sure hope it does.

ILoveHalifax
May 14, 2014, 8:35 AM
Once again Watts spearheading the effort to turn the city into low rise condemned slums. Mason not far behind.

Keith P.
May 14, 2014, 10:13 AM
Once again Watts spearheading the effort to turn the city into low rise condemned slums. Mason not far behind.

How true. Huge mistake and yet another burden on the taxpayer. Those community groups wish to institutionalize the poverty and crime in that area so they can be assured of a continued stream of funding. Essentially the Rev has taken her career all the way to retirement with this debacle.

counterfactual
May 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

Sigh.

It was a bad proposal; wholly unclear and, again, basically relied on Housing Nova Scotia for financing. Another example of the Nova Scotia Government screwing up planning and proper economic development in Halifax.

Those idiots leave rotting buildings, parking lots, and empty sites all over the core, and when other levels of government (ie HRM) are ready to sell off some land, they stick their noses into the mix (just like with Bloomfield) and undermine better, smarter, proposals.

If Housing Nova Scotia has all this money lying around to finance development, how about they use some of that money to fund the public lands revitalization plan?

And sets a bad precedent: it says if you are well funded, then hire a lawyer, sue, you can force Council to change its decision and stop a land sale.

ILoveHalifax
May 14, 2014, 3:16 PM
Do none of these people in the neighborhood have legs?
Bloomfield is a km away and will have community facilities.
What is the matter with our councillors?

halifaxboyns
May 14, 2014, 3:40 PM
Personally; I think the sale of this school site was putting the cart before the horse. If the redevelopment of the Cogswell site goes ahead plus other mixed use developments - there is a good chance the # of school age children in the area will rise. If so - why get rid of the school?

That said - we're seeing interesting demographics coming out of one of Transit Oriented Development communities here in Calgary (Hillhurst/Sunnyside) that despite all the new buildings proposed/under construction - very few families are moving in. So I'm arguing both sides of the coin here; but I would've kept the school in tact and allowed some community groups to move in on a temporary basis until most of the proposed developments had been built (say 10 years max) then do an assessment of the school aged population. If there was no significant rise/change; then I'd have sold the site.

Ziobrop
May 14, 2014, 3:50 PM
Personally; I think the sale of this school site was putting the cart before the horse. If the redevelopment of the Cogswell site goes ahead plus other mixed use developments - there is a good chance the # of school age children in the area will rise. If so - why get rid of the school?

That said - we're seeing interesting demographics coming out of one of Transit Oriented Development communities here in Calgary (Hillhurst/Sunnyside) that despite all the new buildings proposed/under construction - very few families are moving in. So I'm arguing both sides of the coin here; but I would've kept the school in tact and allowed some community groups to move in on a temporary basis until most of the proposed developments had been built (say 10 years max) then do an assessment of the school aged population. If there was no significant rise/change; then I'd have sold the site.

I believe the school was one of the ones replaced by Citadel. Regardless, the building was in bad shape, and would likely have needed to have been replaced were the site to continue as an educational facility.

the proposal as advanced yesterday is good, but the financing is questionable, and leaves the door open for additional funding requests from government. Id rather see HRM Sell the site, with a requirement that the developer provide the required program space, in exchange for increased density or something. then HRM gets rid of the property and expenses, the community groups get their space, and everyone wins.

xanaxanax
May 14, 2014, 4:16 PM
I believe the school was one of the ones replaced by Citadel. Regardless, the building was in bad shape, and would likely have needed to have been replaced were the site to continue as an educational facility.

the proposal as advanced yesterday is good, but the financing is questionable, and leaves the door open for additional funding requests from government. Id rather see HRM Sell the site, with a requirement that the developer provide the required program space, in exchange for increased density or something. then HRM gets rid of the property and expenses, the community groups get their space, and everyone wins.

Thats the best possible outcome that I think everyone wants but there is too much emotion and ego with the NCCC for them to work for that

halifaxboyns
May 14, 2014, 6:00 PM

Citadell was a high school - this was an elementary/jr. high - P to 9. So I'm not sure where the students all got transitioned too.

Colin May
May 14, 2014, 7:37 PM
Do none of these people in the neighborhood have legs?
Bloomfield is a km away and will have community facilities.
What is the matter with our councillors?
The yuppies in the Bloomfield area don't want poor kids and black kids in their schools and community facilities.
Why can't the yuppies walk to a community centre at St Pats Alexandra ?
If there is one place that needs a decent community centre it is those in the area around St Pats Alexandra.

Hali87
May 14, 2014, 11:02 PM

It wasn't (it was an elementary school and the students are being shuffled to another, smaller, 60s-esque school in the North End). You're probably thinking of the similarly named St. Pat's High School/Quinpool Educational Centre.

That's exactly what I would have liked to have seen, and it seems fairly obviously the best solution until you realize that nothing is being done in good faith at this point. I doubt there is much trust left between the HRM, the community groups and the developer, if there had been any to begin with before the legal actions.

ILoveHalifax
May 14, 2014, 11:12 PM
Just think how much better this community could be with apartments for several hundred people built on this land. Gottingen would have a base to support local business and there could be jobs for many locals.

xanaxanax
May 14, 2014, 11:20 PM
That's exactly what I would have liked to have seen, and it seems fairly obviously the best solution until you realize that nothing is being done in good faith at this point. I doubt there is much trust left between the HRM, the community groups and the developer, if there had been any to begin with before the legal actions.

JONO has to incorporate affordable housing it has nothing to do with in good faith, its a legally signed contact as part of their bid that would be part of the development, its why they scored the highest bid in the first place. NCCC stomping their feet saying they want to do affordable housing for north end pride is stupidity when they don't have the money for it and will have to ask for it from the government.

JET
May 15, 2014, 1:37 PM
JONO has to incorporate affordable housing it has nothing to do with in good faith, its a legally signed contact as part of their bid that would be part of the development, its why they scored the highest bid in the first place. NCCC stomping their feet saying they want to do affordable housing for north end pride is stupidity when they don't have the money for it and will have to ask for it from the government.

Just curious, who is it that is going to provide affordable, acessible housing, if it isn't government through non-profit organizations?

Ziobrop
May 15, 2014, 2:12 PM
Just curious, who is it that is going to provide affordable, acessible housing, if it isn't government through non-profit organizations?

governments should incentiveize developers to do it. on a basic level, construction costs the same whether you are building a a high end condo, or a low end apartment (Finishes being the big differentiators) the difference comes to the return the developer gets.

You could leave it to non profits, but then you end up with "poor" areas which are stigmatized as social housing, and frequently fall into disrepair due to lack of funds.

By having a developer offer affordable units in exchange for fee reductions, or density bonus's the social goals are achieved with little cost to the government, and you avoid stigmatizing the residents who live in those units.

Colin May
May 15, 2014, 5:31 PM
Do what they do in many cities/states in the USA - mandate 10% of the units/ space in every development as a low income unit. And provide a definition of 'low income'.
Nobody knows what 'affordable housing' means.

OldDartmouthMark
May 15, 2014, 5:36 PM
governments should incentiveize developers to do it. on a basic level, construction costs the same whether you are building a a high end condo, or a low end apartment (Finishes being the big differentiators) the difference comes to the return the developer gets.

You could leave it to non profits, but then you end up with "poor" areas which are stigmatized as social housing, and frequently fall into disrepair due to lack of funds.

By having a developer offer affordable units in exchange for fee reductions, or density bonus's the social goals are achieved with little cost to the government, and you avoid stigmatizing the residents who live in those units.

I like this line of thinking. Seems like a win-win for all involved.

Hali87
May 15, 2014, 7:04 PM
Gottingen would have a base to support local business and there could be jobs for many locals.

I'm pretty confident that this will happen regardless of what happens with the St. Pat's-Alexandra site. Gottingen is definitely on an upward trajectory with new housing and a variety of new businesses, plus other major projects in the works such as the 2 Housing Trust developments (MET and Diamonds). I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of redevelopment happen in the narrow corridor between Gottingen and Agricola over the next few years.

For all the talk of how "Gottingen needs towers and high density this and that to support the retail"... the retail seems to be doing pretty well already.

Hali87
May 15, 2014, 7:06 PM

I think this is the approach HRM has been trying to take (particularly with the stalled Centre Plan) - I think the stumbling block right now is a lack of coordination between the city and province. IIRC the mechanism for encouraging affordable units through density bonusing can only be applied within the HRM by Design area.

halifaxboyns
May 15, 2014, 7:42 PM
Isn't this a requirement for development in the HbD area? You have to dedicate at least 10% of the units? There just is no clear definition of what is affordable.

Odd this topic is coming up in Halifax, next week the Alberta Professional Planners Institute is teaming up with the Calgary Library to do the Social Justice Encounter 2014 on Affordable Housing. As far as I know; they will be taping it to put it up on youtube. So when we've got it online, someone remind me to post it.
http://www.calgarypubliclibrary.com/services/programs-events?p=4215

mcmcclassic
May 15, 2014, 8:44 PM
The block of former crack houses on Victoria Rd. are being demolished as of today. Bulldozer is onsite and has knocked one down already.

Keith P.
May 15, 2014, 9:45 PM

I hear this often but I think it has a flaw. No high-end condo is going to want low-income residents in it. If somebody built a condo with $1 million units on Young Avenue, making 10% low-income units will seriously hinder the sale of those pricey condos. Then you run into the issue of how those cheap but extremely desirable units get allocated, and how to prevent owners from flipping them for a fast profit.

Drybrain
May 15, 2014, 11:13 PM
I hear this often but I think it has a flaw. No high-end condo is going to want low-income residents in it. If somebody built a condo with $1 million units on Young Avenue, making 10% low-income units will seriously hinder the sale of those pricey condos. Then you run into the issue of how those cheap but extremely desirable units get allocated, and how to prevent owners from flipping them for a fast profit.

Toronto's so far very successful redevelopment (http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2014/02/14/cover_neighbourhoods.html) of Regent Park has proven this to be untrue--it's hard to imagine a Canadian neighbourhood more blighted by bad reputation than Regent Park, but the redeveloped condo properties have sold extremely well, despite not only the area's historical reputation, but the continued presence of low-income housing.

ILoveHalifax
May 16, 2014, 12:15 AM
Toronto's so far very successful redevelopment (http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2014/02/14/cover_neighbourhoods.html) of Regent Park has proven this to be untrue--it's hard to imagine a Canadian neighbourhood more blighted by bad reputation than Regent Park, but the redeveloped condo properties have sold extremely well, despite not only the area's historical reputation, but the continued presence of low-income housing.

I was just checking out Regent Park. All I could find was low end condos, nothing in the $1,000,000.00 range. I must have missed something.

Drybrain
May 16, 2014, 12:32 AM
I was just checking out Regent Park. All I could find was low end condos, nothing in the $1,000,000.00 range. I must have missed something.

Yes.

IanWatson
May 16, 2014, 5:19 PM
Our fears are well founded. Minister Kousoulis will be recommending demolition of the Dennis: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/historic-dennis-building-in-halifax-facing-demolition-1.2644588

I'm compelled enough on this one to take action. Any suggestions for what I/we can do?

Ziobrop
May 16, 2014, 5:33 PM
Our fears are well founded. Minister Kousoulis will be recommending demolition of the Dennis: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/historic-dennis-building-in-halifax-facing-demolition-1.2644588

I'm compelled enough on this one to take action. Any suggestions for what I/we can do?

write letters, protest.
chain yourself to the building?

ILoveHalifax
May 16, 2014, 5:56 PM
This calls for a celebration!
Maybe we can get a nice new 2015 model built on that site.

It will be fun to speculate on possibilities for the site.

Drybrain
May 16, 2014, 6:07 PM

Kousoulis seems to have made up his mind, in reaction to the recommendation (which I find very dubious) that the building be torn down. But he also seems responsive to criticism. I emailed him about this last week and his assistant actually emailed me back and asked for my phone number, saying the minister would like to speak with me about it. He never did call me, but it seems that he does in fact receive and consider messages received by his office.

I think if enough people contact him directly, as well as local politicians including the mayor/councillor, to lobby the province on the building's behalf, there is a chance to turn things around or at least start a discussion about other options--whether dismantling and rebuilding the facade, or selling to a private developer who intends to make use of the structure. Who else in government would be in a position to do something about this?

I know in some cities, when developers have proposed destroying valuable buildings, city councils have passed emergency heritage legislation--wonder if that's possible here. (I also wonder if the building is in any way protected by the Barrington HCD--page 47 of this doc (https://halifax.ca/planning/HeritageProperties/Documents/BarringtonHCDPlan.amended.12Feb2011.pdf) discusses the Birks site and the rear of the Dennus as part of the HCD.

If the province really wants to, of course, they can run roughshod over anything the city does. But if enough people are pissed off/in opposition to demolition, they may reconsider.

Drybrain
May 16, 2014, 6:10 PM
This calls for a celebration!
Maybe we can get a nice new 2015 model built on that site.

It will be fun to speculate on possibilities for the site.

Since it's a government-owned site and they've expressed no intention to release it to the private sector or rebuild, I expect fuck all will happen with it. The building needs to be saved.

xanaxanax
May 16, 2014, 6:17 PM
write letters, protest.
chain yourself to the building?

Is there anyone besides Kousoulis someone should write to as well

JET
May 16, 2014, 6:21 PM
The block of former crack houses on Victoria Rd. are being demolished as of today. Bulldozer is onsite and has knocked one down already.That is very good news; I wonder if anything is planned for there?

JET
May 16, 2014, 6:28 PM
Re the Dennis Building; it's not hard to find an engineer to say that an old building cannot be saved; it takes some effeort and interest to find someone that is able to say that they save old buildings like the Dennis all the time. I was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago and saw some nicely restored old buildings. I was also in Havana and it is amazing the old buildings that they have renovated and restored.

Drybrain
May 16, 2014, 6:32 PM
Is there anyone besides Kousoulis someone could write to as well

Off-hand guesses? Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, Minister of Communities, Culture and heritage; Minister of Economic and Rural Development and Tourism (tourism being key there, in respect to the city's historic character). Plus premier and deputy premier.

All found here. (http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/people/cabinet/)

I'd also recommend engaging Kousoulis on Twitter. He already got a (polite but forceful) dogpile today from a number of folks--more can't hurt.

The thing is, the Progressive Conservatives issued a press release a couple of weeks ago saying that Nova Scotians can't afford "another $47,000 winter" (i.e., heating the building while vacant). They encouraged the current gov to "make up its mind" about the building.

So Kousoulis is now saying the building should be demolished by autumn--basically, I think the government is fearful that the PCs will make it an issue of taxpayer responsibility if it's still standing, vacant, by winter, so they'd rather tear it down to keep up optics than give it the attention it deserves. It's goddamn sickening.

counterfactual
May 16, 2014, 7:27 PM
Off-hand guesses? Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, Minister of Communities, Culture and heritage; Minister of Economic and Rural Development and Tourism (tourism being key there, in respect to the city's historic character). Plus premier and deputy premier.

All found here. (http://nslegislature.ca/index.php/people/cabinet/)

I'd also recommend engaging Kousoulis on Twitter. He already got a (polite but forceful) dogpile today from a number of folks--more can't hurt.

The thing is, the Progressive Conservatives issued a press release a couple of weeks ago saying that Nova Scotians can't afford "another $47,000 winter" (i.e., heating the building while vacant). They encouraged the current gov to "make up its mind" about the building.

So Kousoulis is now saying the building should be demolished by autumn--basically, I think the government is fearful that the PCs will make it an issue of taxpayer responsibility if it's still standing, vacant, by winter, so they'd rather tear it down to keep up optics than give it the attention it deserves. It's goddamn sickening.

There's also the Minister of Municipal Relations or whatever. The problem, is that he's actually from rural Nova Scotia so probably doesn't give a crap about downtown Halifax.

I honestly don't see the point of issuing a press release about demolishing the thing without having a clear idea of what to do with the land.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER GOV OWNED BROWN SITE DOWNTOWN.

No one should support this action until the Province commits to invest in the land or sell it to a developer who would probably be thrilled to build something there while also saving part of the structure.

teddifax
May 20, 2014, 6:46 PM
Drove up Kempt Road last week and just in the area of the T4G Building (old Worldwide Furniture), there is a crane in place. What is going up there?

Dmajackson
May 20, 2014, 8:02 PM
Rendering of the proposed Daffodil Place Expansion at South & Wellington.

Stadd Report (See Attachment "E" on Page 20) (http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/D78PAC/documents/140526d78pac711.pdf)

kph06
May 20, 2014, 8:38 PM
Drove up Kempt Road last week and just in the area of the T4G Building (old Worldwide Furniture), there is a crane in place. What is going up there?

New Halifax Audi dealership.

bluenoser
May 30, 2014, 9:01 PM
Scotia Square food court gets a makeover
THE CHRONICLE HERALD
Published May 29, 2014 - 4:26pm
Last Updated May 29, 2014 - 4:30pm

Scotia Square renovation to feature new flooring, lighting and TVs
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/B97324922Z.120140529162600000GOJ5MHNQ.11.jpg
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1210968-scotia-square-food-court-gets-a-makeover
An artist’s rendering of the new Scotia Sqaure food court. Being called The Mix by owner Crombie REIT, the food court will be getting a $3 million makeover designed by Architecture49 of Halifax. (CONTRIBUTED)

As former Scotia Square favourite Ray’s Lebanese Cuisine gets ready to reopen at its new Burnside location, the owner of the downtown Halifax mall says its $3-million food court makeover is underway.

The renovation, which includes upgraded finishes, flooring, lighting and TVs, was designed by Architecture49 of Halifax, Crombie REIT said in a news release issued Thursday.

The company said the food court will remain open as work continues through the summer and into the fall, and is the third phase of the company’s redevelopment plan launched in 2012 with the renovation of Barrington Tower and later Barrington Place. Work on the parkade at Scotia Square is also nearing completion, according to the release.

The company’s “overall master plan … has the potential to add up to one million square feet of upgraded mixed-use space to the existing two-million-square-foot complex,” the release said.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1210968-scotia-square-food-court-gets-a-makeover

Looks pretty good, although I don't know why Ray's couldn't have been a part of this.

Keith P.
May 30, 2014, 10:45 PM
Looks pretty good, although I don't know why Ray's couldn't have been a part of this.

He could have been if he had been willing to pay twice the rent had had been paying.

xanaxanax
May 31, 2014, 2:24 PM
Halifax Forum talk, build expansions, build a new facility, build a new facilitates in new locations possibly shannon park and or windsor park and make the old Halifax Forum surplus land. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-forum-could-close-under-new-arena-proposal-1.2659592

Jonovision
Jun 6, 2014, 2:05 AM
A lot of progress made this week on the retail at Brunswick.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10406760_10100393355804559_8715008401859251181_n.jpg

hokus83
Jun 6, 2014, 5:28 PM
Is there a recap anywhere of the city talk yesterday of art centre, stadium, forum, rail transit, new cop shop ect... did they end up covering all of that? I hadn't seen anything online of it

bluenoser
Jun 6, 2014, 8:45 PM

Wow, IMO they've already improved that side of the street by about 700%.

fenwick16
Jun 7, 2014, 3:00 AM

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10406760_10100393355804559_8715008401859251181_n.jpg

That is remarkable. I looked for a similar perspective in Google Street View (https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.65061,-63.578764,3a,75y,1.27h,87.61t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ6uBzT3xk0HWiO0LbNjQXQ!2e0) and I was amazed at the difference.

This was posted before, but here is the link showing the work being done to the three apartment towers - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/Case19058.pdf. I wish the massive blank concrete wall along Cogswell could be improved.

mcmcclassic
Jun 7, 2014, 5:32 PM
Work is well underway on a new interchange between exits 5 and 6 on the 103(I always hated that particular stretch of highway).

It'll be nice having an exit but I find these help fuel even more suburban sprawl (ex. exit 2A on the 101).

mcmcclassic
Jun 10, 2014, 12:19 PM
I had a talk with Mayor Savage about development in Halifax and got a chance to shamelessly promote SSP Halifax too. He hadn't heard of the forum and was super interested in it (I rhymed off a few of our active threads for reference).

Anyone who comes in contact with the Mayor at all (aka Councillor Mason) should mention SSP to him again when relevant. I bet Savage would actually contribute if he remembered to.

ILoveHalifax
Jun 10, 2014, 2:01 PM
I had a talk with Mayor Savage about development in Halifax and got a chance to shamelessly promote SSP Halifax too. He hadn't heard of the forum and was super interested in it (I rhymed off a few of our active threads for reference).

Anyone who comes in contact with the Mayor at all (aka Councillor Mason) should mention SSP to him again when relevant. I bet Savage would actually contribute if he remembered to.

I spoke to him last summer and mentioned about SSP and he had not heard about it then either.

counterfactual
Jun 10, 2014, 3:48 PM
I spoke to him last summer and mentioned about SSP and he had not heard about it then either.

how convenient!

counterfactual
Jun 10, 2014, 3:49 PM

Wait. You mean "Keith P." *isn't* Mayor Savage? :D

Duff
Jun 12, 2014, 6:51 PM
This is moving along nicely. One from today.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5594/14220650990_6fdeef3f0a_b.jpg

bluenoser
Jun 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
^Thanks for the picture. It's amazing to me that those concrete walls weren't even the result of some natural necessity, but just intentionally built where something nice could have been (and thankfully now will be).

bluenoser
Jun 13, 2014, 4:22 PM
Eateries drink in fresh look of Quinpool Road
SELENA ROSS STAFF REPORTER
Published June 12, 2014 - 7:13pm
Last Updated June 12, 2014 - 9:03pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/articles/B97330629Z.120140612191330000GCR5QAFG.11.jpg

Quinpool Road is getting its long-awaited free makeover, and local restaurants are banking on the fresh paint to help reverse the road’s typical summer slump.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1214414-eateries-drink-in-fresh-look-of-quinpool-road

xanaxanax
Jun 13, 2014, 4:31 PM
Eateries drink in fresh look of Quinpool Road
SELENA ROSS STAFF REPORTER
Published June 12, 2014 - 7:13pm
Last Updated June 12, 2014 - 9:03pm

Quinpool Road is getting its long-awaited free makeover, and local restaurants are banking on the fresh paint to help reverse the road’s typical summer slump.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1214414-eateries-drink-in-fresh-look-of-quinpool-road

Everything looks worse than it did before

bluenoser
Jun 13, 2014, 5:59 PM
Everything looks worse than it did before

How so? It can't be that bad.. although I must admit, I questioned the effect that would be made by paint alone, vs. more substantial renovations.

xanaxanax
Jun 13, 2014, 7:43 PM
How so? It can't be that bad.. although I must admit, I questioned the effect that would be made by paint alone, vs. more substantial renovations.

They used a lot of dark tone colours with the same colours scheme for everything, a lot of washed out colours and shades of grey, some really ugly colour choices, nothing fits the bright and vibrant nature of Qinpoool instead everything they painted is very dull and depressing now. The painted brick is bit of an improvement but I wouldn't call grey paint much of one. The gross green roof along supertsore was just painted a even grosser beige color, I'm astounded that anyone could ever mange to make it look worse but they accomplished it

I think the city should sue Benjamin Moore to do a better job.

fenwick16
Jun 13, 2014, 10:46 PM
^Thanks for the picture. It's amazing to me that those concrete walls weren't even the result of some natural necessity, but just intentionally built where something nice could have been (and thankfully now will be).

It is amazing that such unappealing construction methods were used back in the early 1970's. The following document shows how the new retail areas are being reconstructed from what was originally part of the indoor parking garage - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/documents/Case19058.pdf. Looking at Duff's picture I can see parking stall numbers on the concrete support columns.

It seems as though even more of the parking garage space of the 3 buildings could be converted to streetside retail. Hopefully if this conversion is successful, the apartment owners will convert more of the parking garage space to retail.

Colin May
Jun 14, 2014, 1:35 AM
Check out my post about the HRM deficit for 2013/2014 - the first operating deficit in the past 5 years.
Details in Business & Politics and under 'Halifax Population and Growth'

Haligonian88
Jun 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
"Metro Premier Properties has development plan in Dartmouth
BRUCE ERSKINE BUSINESS REPORTER
Published June 16, 2014 - 7:17pm
Last Updated June 16, 2014 - 7:20pm

A new multi-residential development is in the works for downtown Dartmouth.

Clark Wilkins, president of Metro Premier Properties, confirmed Monday he plans to build on six properties the company has acquired on a block at Victoria and Queen streets.

Wilkins said it was too early to discuss details of the development plan, which hasn’t been formally submitted to Halifax Regional Municipality.

“It’s a process,” he said in an interview Monday.

Wilkins said he expects to make a formal development submission to the municipality in September.

Wilkins also owns C.A. Wilkins Construction Services Ltd.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1215354-metro-premier-properties-has-development-plan-in-dartmouth"

Dmajackson
Jun 17, 2014, 12:08 AM
^I drove by this site tonight and the former crackhouses have been demolished.

xanaxanax
Jun 17, 2014, 12:17 AM
"Metro Premier Properties has development plan in Dartmouth
BRUCE ERSKINE BUSINESS REPORTER
Published June 16, 2014 - 7:17pm
Last Updated June 16, 2014 - 7:20pm

A new multi-residential development is in the works for downtown Dartmouth.

Clark Wilkins, president of Metro Premier Properties, confirmed Monday he plans to build on six properties the company has acquired on a block at Victoria and Queen streets.

Wilkins said it was too early to discuss details of the development plan, which hasn’t been formally submitted to Halifax Regional Municipality.

“It’s a process,” he said in an interview Monday.

Wilkins said he expects to make a formal development submission to the municipality in September.

Wilkins also owns C.A. Wilkins Construction Services Ltd.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1215354-metro-premier-properties-has-development-plan-in-dartmouth"

You have these massive empty parking lots all along queen street that should be developed first, are they owned by the feds or province or something, yay Dartmouth development but boo at missed opportunities. Whats the deal with no one taking adventure of.

counterfactual
Jun 17, 2014, 1:10 AM
Check out my post about the HRM deficit for 2013/2014 - the first operating deficit in the past 5 years.
Details in Business & Politics and under 'Halifax Population and Growth'

where?

pblaauw
Jun 17, 2014, 3:01 AM
I thought some of you might find this (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/06/16/watergate_deep_throat_parking_garage_scheduled_for_demolition.html) article about the Watergate-related parking lot interesting. The article is not very in depth, but it's an interesting historical location.

terrynorthend
Jun 17, 2014, 12:04 PM
You have these massive empty parking lots all along queen street that should be developed first, are they owned by the feds or province or something, yay Dartmouth development but boo at missed opportunities. Whats the deal with no one taking adventure of.

True they should be developed, but to be fair, I'd see the crack-houses go before the parking lots.

mcmcclassic
Jun 17, 2014, 12:13 PM

I live in the apartment building across the street from those houses. They took em down 2-3 weeks ago and the dozer has just been sitting there since.

For anyone thinking developing empty lots before here is a better idea, I can say that this will be leagues better. Parking lots don't house drug traders and criminals (usually), but those houses made it unsafe to leave my building at night.

JET
Jun 17, 2014, 12:15 PM

There is still the house on the corner of Queen and Vic, and the bldg next to it on Queen that should go; I wonder which six properties he plans to develop?

mcmcclassic
Jun 17, 2014, 5:16 PM
There is still the house on the corner of Queen and Vic, and the bldg next to it on Queen that should go; I wonder which six properties he plans to develop?

It looks like those two buildings are connected. If they destroyed those too, that would make 6 properties in total I believe (they've knocked over 3 so far I think).

One of the reasons that what you still see on Queen and on the corner is still there is because there are still people living in those buildings. The other 3 were cleared/empty so they could obviously demolish them.

xanaxanax
Jun 18, 2014, 2:59 AM
It looks like those two buildings are connected. If they destroyed those too, that would make 6 properties in total I believe (they've knocked over 3 so far I think).

One of the reasons that what you still see on Queen and on the corner is still there is because there are still people living in those buildings. The other 3 were cleared/empty so they could obviously demolish them.

feeling very underwhelmed about this now if its just one street corner at the very back of queen street

mcmcclassic
Jun 18, 2014, 11:54 AM
feeling very underwhelmed about this now if its just one street corner at the very back of queen street

This is the area I believe the new building will take up. If so, and based on Wilkins likely planning on something 5+ stories, this could be significant for the area.

Maybe one day the Irishtown development will come to fruitition too.

http://i.imgur.com/D3ibMws.png

counterfactual
Jun 18, 2014, 11:08 PM
Old Halifax library’s fate uncertain

Mi’kmaq chiefs won’t pursue plans; city, N.S. to meet on options:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1215702-old-halifax-library-s-fate-uncertain#.U6F7vNgkN2A.facebook

Rather than a downer, I think this is a major, major, opportunity.

Let's have a large scale public/private collaboration; a brand new open public space or square done here, right across from new library, with areas for little merchants, shops, huts, etc.

Something!

ILoveHalifax
Jun 19, 2014, 12:05 AM
Is the site large enough for a concert hall?
How about a new site for an art museum?

Colin May
Jun 19, 2014, 1:22 AM

Perhaps he kept the other buildings because he needs the rent to meet the costs of the loans on the properties. He owns the red vinyl sided property next to Tim's on Portland Street and tried to sell it last October for $2.675 million after he had completed a major renovation of 195 & 197 Portland and 14 Pleasant then dropped the price to $2.2 million and after 92 days on the market and no interest he pulled the listing.
If Fares keeps building one tower after another at King's Wharf the smaller get-rich-quick-I-have-a-flash-mercedes-convertible 'developers' will have a long wait.

rkannegi
Jun 20, 2014, 4:32 AM
Aside from me falling victim to ''The Boot'' on Lot 3A almost two weeks ago that was ''brought to me'' by NOGO NOTOW (the gravel parking lot across Granville Street from Mountain Equipment Co-op), now Saint Mary's Basilica is hiring Target Park to place tire boots on illegally parked vehicles in its lots, where a fee of $92.50 will have to be paid to Target Park have the boot removed.

Saint Mary's Basilica in Halifax to enforce parking rules

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/saint-mary-s-basilica-in-halifax-to-enforce-parking-rules-1.2680526

At least it's cheaper than NOGO NOTOW's $115 boots. So, if you can't avoid the risk of parking in a ''Boot Lot'', have a $100 bill on hand and park at the Basilica instead of Lot 3A. I know that the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth will not be happy with me saying this last sentence in regards to their cheaper boot fee. Forgive me for my sins!:haha:

Cheers,

Richard Kannegiesser

Ziobrop
Jun 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
Aside from me falling victim to ''The Boot'' on Lot 3A almost two weeks ago that was ''brought to me'' by NOGO NOTOW (the gravel parking lot across Granville Street from Mountain Equipment Co-op), now Saint Mary's Basilica is hiring Target Park to place tire boots on illegally parked vehicles in its lots, where a fee of $92.50 will have to be paid to Target Park have the boot removed.

Saint Mary's Basilica in Halifax to enforce parking rules

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/saint-mary-s-basilica-in-halifax-to-enforce-parking-rules-1.2680526

At least it's cheaper than NOGO NOTOW's $115 boots. So, if you can't avoid the risk of parking in a ''Boot Lot'', have a $100 bill on hand and park at the Basilica instead of Lot 3A. I know that the Archdiocese of Halifax-Yarmouth will not be happy with me saying this last sentence in regards to their cheaper boot fee. Forgive me for my sins!:haha:

Cheers,

Richard Kannegiesser

boots should be illegal. its extortion.
If some one is illegally parked on your property, call the city, they will ticket and tow.

this is a parking company forcing you to pay a ticket with no judicial oversight or appeal, and is wrong.

JET
Jun 20, 2014, 12:54 PM
I hate finding a parking spot, and more so hate getting a ticket; most times I just go to the parking garage and pay whatever is the rate. Never been a gambler.

xanaxanax
Jun 20, 2014, 3:35 PM
This is where the City Centre development is rumoured to go anyways

http://www.ekistics.net/images/a_t1_1-1.jpg

JET
Jun 20, 2014, 4:39 PM
http://mapliv.com/address/2438-gottingen-street-halifax-ns-b3k-3b9-canada/

Victoria Hall on Gottingen Street has bene bought, renovated for apartments and is now renting, I noticed a rental sign out front this week.

Drybrain
Jun 20, 2014, 6:40 PM
http://mapliv.com/address/2438-gottingen-street-halifax-ns-b3k-3b9-canada/

Victoria Hall on Gottingen Street has ben bought, renovated for apartments and is now renting, I noticed a rental sign out front this week.

That sure happened under the radar. I was really expecting it to be more thoroughly renovated and condo-ized, with the vacant rear parking area (backing onto Creighton) developed.

I still hope that's eventually what happens.

xanaxanax
Jun 20, 2014, 8:56 PM
That sure happened under the radar. I was really expecting it to be more thoroughly renovated and condo-ized, with the vacant rear parking area (backing onto Creighton) developed.

I still hope that's eventually what happens.

There was a lot of public outcry for that not to happen from the people that lived across the street

Drybrain
Jun 20, 2014, 9:38 PM
There was a lot of public outcry for that not to happen from the people that lived across the street

Really? Who? (To be clear, I wouldn't want it torn down--that'd be the worst. But renovated into condos with more residential built on the adjacent parking lot.)

xanaxanax
Jun 20, 2014, 11:47 PM
Really? Who? (To be clear, I wouldn't want it torn down--that'd be the worst. But renovated into condos with more residential built on the adjacent parking lot.)

I think Hilary Beaumont the new Tim Bousquet was pretty vocal representing the community being booo condos, gentrification, blah, it will lead to Uniacke Square being demolished ect..

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 21, 2014, 9:51 PM
I think Hilary Beaumont the new Tim Bousquet was pretty vocal representing the community being booo condos, gentrification, blah, it will lead to Uniacke Square being demolished ect..

Well, the hipsters are directly responsible for gentrification of the north end. Eventually the people from lesser backgrounds will not be able to live there.

Ironic.

xanaxanax
Jun 22, 2014, 12:46 AM
Well, the hipsters are directly responsible for gentrification of the north end. Eventually the people from lesser backgrounds will not be able to live there.

Ironic.

Gentrification isn't building on empty lot spaces or abandoned buildings which is largely what most of the north end spots going up are. This reporter has no concept of what gentrifications actually is and just shouts gentrification at every north end development proposal which is very misleading and has a large amount of people rallying with it

JET
Jun 23, 2014, 12:03 PM

Ironic.

'lesser backgrounds' ? What might that be, interesting descriptor.

eastcoastal
Jun 23, 2014, 3:18 PM

Ironic.

lesser... interesting. Love to hear more about who is of lesser background and what makes for greater background.

Hali87
Jun 23, 2014, 7:46 PM
I'm assuming he meant "of lesser means", or historically having less choice in where they lived.

worldlyhaligonian
Jun 23, 2014, 8:28 PM
Yes, of lesser means.

Most of the overhauls are being done by people with money, many of them not from NS originally, but from Ontario. You have to have money to act like you don't have money.

It makes it harder for normal folks from here to purchase on the peninsula. This can have an effect to improve areas like Fairview, but it also pushes workers off the peninsula.

I'm not against gentrification per se, but they people screaming about it are largely in the demographic causing it. Real poor people have little to no voice.