PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2023, 9:41 PM
Count me in the "slip lanes have no business in a pedestrian-heavy area" camp. They're designed to let vehicles slide through unimpeded without significantly slowing, and drivers often read them as little more than an extension of the straightaway. Intersections without them are intrinsically more dangerous than an intersection designed without them, as is demonstrated by actual research (https://az659834.vo.msecnd.net/eventsairaueprod/production-harding-public/0f428639c65d45afa491bd6e1235e105). There's nothing wrong with slowing down and taking a 90-degree turn.

Nantucket and Wyse isn’t a particularly pedestrian-heavy area. In any event he kept the one from Wyse northbound to Nantucket so apparently they can’t be that bad.

someone123
Jun 9, 2023, 9:45 PM
Since our roads are already pretty clogged, we need to get people to use more efficient modes of transport, like transit and AT, as more cars on the road will just add to congestion, pollution and making the city less attractive a place to be. Even if we ignore these things, to actually build the road network able to accommodate everyone using a car to get around would require massive wave of demolishing homes, businesses, and existing transportation infrastructure - i.e., not politically or economically feasible.

This reminds me of the comment you sometimes see that there's "no space" for transit improvements as it is all used by congested mixed vehicles. This is backwards. Cities rarely have space set aside and as density increases space is at a higher premium and higher value, denser modes of transport become more desirable. You also hit economy of scale and traffic issues with buses (adding more buses to a congested road can slow trips down rather than speeding them up).

Hopefully the situation will be turned around but I think heavy congestion will be the norm in Halifax because nothing major can be completed in the next few years but there's likely to be a lot of population growth. To some extent people will adapt by traveling less and moving closer to where they need to be, but people with fewer resources will just see more of their time wasted in traffic. Eventually Halifax will need something like a light rail system for a medium-sized city similar to what Calgary or Vancouver initially built, as well as other complementary modes like ferries, and the cost isn't likely to go down as the city grows. The time to start that was probably something like 2016.

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2023, 10:08 PM
Not everyone has that option. The stay at home work option I do think is very much responsible for hollowing out MT's ridership. It would be interesting to see how much work from home has reduced Car trips.

Halifax Transit is back to about 95 percent of pre-pandemic ridership, which is probably better than any transit in the country. Maybe there’s a perception that the system has been bleeding riders, but it’s actually recovered better than most public transit systems. No doubt it would be doing even better if the devices was better, of course.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 10, 2023, 2:52 PM
The City recently changed the Right turn off Joe Howe to the 102 as a signal only Right turn which is ridiculous and only serves the multiuse trail while creating an at least 4-5 Light wait for right turning vehicles.I was under the Impression that our new planners are younger enviro concerned professionals. I wonder how many litres are waisted at just that light.

I hadn't been aware of that change as I'm not in the area so often, but yesterday I did witness a truck pull out of the right lane, which was backed up with traffic, to go around the line of vehicles and make a right turn (with no arrow) while other vehicles waited.

I get the impression that people are getting frustrated by the changes, which may be of benefit to the few, and resorting to breaking the law to avoid waiting. FWIW, I noticed exactly zero cyclists using the lanes, while there were a lot of vehicles idling while waiting for those precious seconds of 'green arrow' time. I'm thinking that this situation is not of benefit to the climate change situation.

Saul Goode
Jun 10, 2023, 4:07 PM
Intersections without them are intrinsically more dangerous than an intersection designed without them, as is demonstrated by actual research (https://az659834.vo.msecnd.net/eventsairaueprod/production-harding-public/0f428639c65d45afa491bd6e1235e105).

To which I say, fine, but there's no history of which I'm aware of pedestrian accidents at this particular one. That's just my anecdotal experience, I'll concede, but it's based on many decades of travel in the area. I've driven it all my life and, for almost a decade, worked at Metropolitan Place and dealt with that intersection as a pedestrian at least twice every working day. Anyway, I highly doubt that the slip lane was removed for the sake of pedestrians who had to cross it, but rather for the (ahem) multitudes of cyclists heading north on Wyse.

As for "actual research", no doubt it has been basis for many of our recent street "improvements" in HRM. The problem is that it seems now to be preferred over actual local lived experience, no matter what the latter may tell us, causing us to waste obscene amounts of tax money on fixing non-existent problems. There's no other way to explain the multitude of patently unneeded curb "bump-outs" and no fewer than five Samerrhoid™ speed bumps on Joffre street. It's manifestly crazy.

There's nothing wrong with slowing down and taking a 90-degree turn.

Of course not, but speed is not my beef with it. It's about being able to make a right onto Wyse at all without having to wait through an entire traffic light cycle (occasionally two) during heavier traffic times.

Dartguard
Jun 11, 2023, 3:07 PM
I hadn't been aware of that change as I'm not in the area so often, but yesterday I did witness a truck pull out of the right lane, which was backed up with traffic, to go around the line of vehicles and make a right turn (with no arrow) while other vehicles waited.

I get the impression that people are getting frustrated by the changes, which may be of benefit to the few, and resorting to breaking the law to avoid waiting. FWIW, I noticed exactly zero cyclists using the lanes, while there were a lot of vehicles idling while waiting for those precious seconds of 'green arrow' time. I'm thinking that this situation is not of benefit to the climate change situation.

I fail to see the justification for these changes other than some obscure design philosophy that is only delivering on driver frustration, cost and pissed away time.

Dmajackson
Jun 13, 2023, 1:23 PM
Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Submitted - 28 VIRIDIAN DR, DARTMOUTH - $17'100'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 95 Units - 6 Floors - New construction of a multi unit residential building (95 Units).

Haliguy
Jun 13, 2023, 6:32 PM
I fail to see the justification for these changes other than some obscure design philosophy that is only delivering on driver frustration, cost and pissed away time.

I bike to work through there once a week and see quite few bikers through there in the morning and the way home.

Dartguard
Jun 13, 2023, 10:33 PM
I bike to work through there once a week and see quite few bikers through there in the morning and the way home.

Quite few Huh? How many bikers exactly and more importantly how many vehicles are loitering and paying the price for the merry few? I don't think our City fathers and planners want to view or evaluate those numbers in an honest manner.

Colin May
Jun 14, 2023, 12:13 AM
Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Submitted - 28 VIRIDIAN DR, DARTMOUTH - $17'100'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 95 Units - 6 Floors - New construction of a multi unit residential building (95 Units).
The existing neighbours will be quite annoyed - they were opposed to the apartment building next to the lot.

Haliguy
Jun 14, 2023, 12:45 AM
Quite few Huh? How many bikers exactly and more importantly how many vehicles are loitering and paying the price for the merry few? I don't think our City fathers and planners want to view or evaluate those numbers in an honest manner.

Counted 20 going the opposite direction in the few minutes it took to cross. That's 2O less cars crossing the bridge in those few minutes, and it could be more with better bike infrastructure coming onto the bridge on the Halifax side. We wont have the critical mass of bikers until there is continuity of bike infrastructure in this city.

Colin May
Jun 14, 2023, 1:09 AM
Counted 20 going the opposite direction in the few minutes it took to cross. That's 2O less cars crossing the bridge in those few minutes, and it could be more with better bike infrastructure coming onto the bridge on the Halifax side. We wont have the critical mass of bikers until there is continuity of bike infrastructure in this city.
Perhaps the 20 cyclists would use the ferry or a bus. I doubt they cycle in adverse weather. How does a healthcare worker get from peninsula Halifax to Cobequid hospital for a 7 a.m. shift - a decade ago the transit system was useless for many healthcare workers.

Haliguy
Jun 14, 2023, 2:00 AM
Perhaps the 20 cyclists would use the ferry or a bus. I doubt they cycle in adverse weather. How does a healthcare worker get from peninsula Halifax to Cobequid hospital for a 7 a.m. shift - a decade ago the transit system was useless for many healthcare workers.

If I had to take a ferry or bus I would not bike to work, and I'm sure others wouldn't either. It would take too long and wouldn't bother if I couldn't bike across the bridge. As for your example of that health care worker they would obviously drive. I'm not sure what point your trying to make here?

Colin May
Jun 15, 2023, 12:52 AM
If I had to take a ferry or bus I would not bike to work, and I'm sure others wouldn't either. It would take too long and wouldn't bother if I couldn't bike across the bridge. As for your example of that health care worker they would obviously drive. I'm not sure what point your trying to make here?
The point is very simple : shift workers employed in places where staff are required 24/365 and places where staff work 2 shifts per working day. I have met one nurse who bikes across The MacD and I am sure there are a few more.
The ferries have bike racks.
The point is : transit does not cater to shift workers outside the usual hours of many employers.

Haliguy
Jun 15, 2023, 1:05 PM
The point is very simple : shift workers employed in places where staff are required 24/365 and places where staff work 2 shifts per working day. I have met one nurse who bikes across The MacD and I am sure there are a few more.
The ferries have bike racks.
The point is : transit does not cater to shift workers outside the usual hours of many employers.

I agree, transit doesn't accommodate people working shift work, and it is something that should looked at. Not sure what that has to do with biking across the bridge though.

terrynorthend
Jun 17, 2023, 12:36 PM
Halifax Retales is reporting on his Twitter feed that United Gulf has submitted an application to redevelope the old Chebucto Ford site on Main Street in Dartmouth (recently hosted East Coast Amusements fair)

Proposal is substantial. 125k feet of retail/commercial and 1037 residential units.
No renderings available.

Dmajackson
Jun 17, 2023, 3:39 PM
Halifax Retales is reporting on his Twitter feed that United Gulf has submitted an application to redevelope the old Chebucto Ford site on Main Street in Dartmouth (recently hosted East Coast Amusements fair)

Proposal is substantial. 125k feet of retail/commercial and 1037 residential units.
No renderings available.

Me thinks he read my post from last night. If so hi Arthur! :cheers:

What he is talking about is a site-specific request for the Regional Plan. This is a new one that I posted in the Suburban Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9971353#post9971353) last night.

terrynorthend
Jun 17, 2023, 4:08 PM

What he is talking about is a site-specific request for the Regional Plan. This is a new one that I posted in the Suburban Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9971353#post9971353) last night.

Cool! I thought it may have come from the RP draft.
1037 units is a very large number. It's more than Opal, and about half of "M lands" on a much smaller lot than either (looks to be about 100m square on Google maps)

Keith P.
Jun 18, 2023, 11:46 AM
Me thinks he read my post from last night.

I was going to say "stole it" but if you want to characterize it differently it's up to you for sure.

This one has been a long time coming. It is surely a huge proposal. That area is odd, with some rather pleasant areas cheek-by-jowl with others that are anything but that.

Mapleton_Roadie
Jun 18, 2023, 3:19 PM

Is this developer one who follows through on things? They are the ones who put the lofty development forward for the old Windsor Textiles site in Windsor. I can't see that project getting developed as proposed at this moment but do hope something does come out of it.

Dmajackson
Jun 25, 2023, 3:48 PM
Demolition permits have been submitted for three buildings at 3040 Oxford Street (at Young Street). I am not familiar with any redevelopment plans for the site.

Demolition permit submitted for 3509 Joseph Howe Drive. This is to make way for Joseph Scot by WM Fares (https://www.wmfaresarchitects.com/joseph-scot)

kph06
Jun 25, 2023, 4:10 PM
Demolition permits have been submitted for three buildings at 3040 Oxford Street (at Young Street). I am not familiar with any redevelopment plans for the site.

Demolition permit submitted for 3509 Joseph Howe Drive. This is to make way for Joseph Scot by WM Fares (https://www.wmfaresarchitects.com/joseph-scot)

I’m pretty sure this is the Oxford Street one:

https://cwatlantic.com/listings/3077-3085-oxford-street/

Corker
Jun 25, 2023, 5:14 PM
I’m pretty sure this is the Oxford Street one:

https://cwatlantic.com/listings/3077-3085-oxford-street/

Edit: Actually the one you link to currently holds houses on the east side of Oxford, across from the mostly empty lots on the corner of Young, Oxford and Bayers Road.

3040 Oxford would be the south west corner of Young and Oxford. There's currently a piercing studio, two storey apartment building and a barber shop there. This is the first I've heard of a redevelopment on this location.

kph06
Jun 25, 2023, 6:50 PM
Edit: Actually the one you link to currently holds houses on the east side of Oxford, across from the mostly empty lots on the corner of Young, Oxford and Bayers Road.

3040 Oxford would be the south west corner of Young and Oxford. There's currently a piercing studio, two storey apartment building and a barber shop there. This is the first I've heard of a redevelopment on this location.

Right, I didn’t check the addresses first. I think those just changed hands recently? I don’t think there’s been renderings for those.

kph06
Jul 1, 2023, 12:48 PM
Construction fencing is up around the Wedgewood motel. Looks fully vacated. The demo permit was applied for weeks ago. Approval and start must be imminent.

stevencourchene
Jul 3, 2023, 12:43 PM
I don't have any photos but i see there is decent movement on the co-op housing at the end of maitland st where it meets portland place.

worldlyhaligonian
Jul 3, 2023, 11:31 PM
I don't have any photos but i see there is decent movement on the co-op housing at the end of maitland st where it meets portland place.

You can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=746369494159599

Dmajackson
Jul 4, 2023, 3:48 AM
Construction fencing is up around the Wedgewood motel. Looks fully vacated. The demo permit was applied for weeks ago. Approval and start must be imminent.

The demolition permit was issued last week.

I was out of town so my normal Sunday permit checks are delayed. :cool:

Dmajackson
Jul 4, 2023, 4:01 AM
Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - Renovation - Issued - 1660 HOLLIS ST, HALIFAX - $18'000'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 141 Units - 15 Floors - "Scope of work is limited to: Renovation of an existing building to create a Group C Residential major occupancies within a 15 storey building (change of use). The total number of residential suites is 141 suites and Levels 1, 10 and 11 will remain as commercial occupancies, consisting of Group A2, D and E major occupancies. Project Name: 'The Agency Lofts'"

This is at the corner of Hollis and Sackville Street. I'm not familiar with this project.

Dmajackson
Jul 4, 2023, 4:10 AM

Apparently this demolition permit is to make way for this building permit application;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 3040 OXFORD ST, HALIFAX - $10'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 68 Units - 6 Floors - New Multi-Unit Residential building.

someone123
Jul 4, 2023, 4:18 AM
This is at the corner of Hollis and Sackville Street. I'm not familiar with this project.

Sidewalk project page: https://sidewalkred.ca/projects/centennial/

Makes me wonder what the Ralston possibilities might have been.

fatscat
Jul 4, 2023, 9:35 AM
Apparently this demolition permit is to make way for this building permit application;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - In Review - 3040 OXFORD ST, HALIFAX - $10'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 68 Units - 6 Floors - New Multi-Unit Residential building.

It's small, but this is what I want to see more of along what is apparently supposed to be a primary BRT corridor. Not a terrible addition adjacent to that corridor. Nice that it has retail too.

Keith P.
Jul 4, 2023, 11:16 AM
Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - Renovation - Issued - 1660 HOLLIS ST, HALIFAX - $18'000'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 141 Units - 15 Floors - "Scope of work is limited to: Renovation of an existing building to create a Group C Residential major occupancies within a 15 storey building (change of use). The total number of residential suites is 141 suites and Levels 1, 10 and 11 will remain as commercial occupancies, consisting of Group A2, D and E major occupancies. Project Name: 'The Agency Lofts'"

Ah, the Centennial Building. The name gives you the age of the structure. If memory serves it was originally built as one of Ralph Medjuck's early projects downtown. It has been lower-grade office space for the last few decades after originally being what I guess was considered class A space. It suffers from smallish elevators and somewhat tight corridors, but that is less of an issue for residential use. it is somewhat odd in that it has two lobbies, one on the Hollis side and one on the Granville st side. No parking of which I am aware, though.

This project has been on the books for a while, as seen by this CBC piece:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-nova-scotia-affordable-housing-downtown-office-conversion-sidewalk-developer-1.6266068

Saul Goode
Jul 4, 2023, 4:27 PM
It has been lower-grade office space for the last few decades after originally being what I guess was considered class A space

I don't think it's ever been a great building. I worked there for a couple of years in the mid-80s and it seemed to me even then - when it was less than 15 years old - to be tired, dated and less than ideally functional.

fatscat
Jul 7, 2023, 10:56 AM
The new pool opened up at the Commons yesterday and it felt like a turning point for the commons. Not to say it was in shambles, but I think it's under-utilized given its location & shape. Was there with the family and the energy was incredible (helps that it was sunny for once)

Apart from the pool itself, I was pleased to see construction work continuing to happen adjacent to the site. Some cleanup, but also likely land prep for the upcoming natural playground. This is all, of course, part of the larger master plan (https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax/regional-community-planning/regional-plan/common-master-plan) which proposes improved multi-use paths, new gathering areas (a concert venue?), and more.

We can build great things.

Dmajackson
Jul 10, 2023, 2:36 AM
No major permits this week but two did catch my eye;

- Demolition permit has been requested for 2110 ROBIE STREET, HALIFAX. This is a fourplex which to me seems like demo would only be for something bigger.

- An unnamed restaurant will be moving into 5189 PRINCE STREET, HALIFAX. This was formerly home to The Flower Child.

Many of the permits that are going through seem to be related to the Hammonds Plains Road forest fire. I hope this is just them getting priority and regular permits will come back at a high level once these are issued.

Drybrain
Jul 10, 2023, 2:48 AM
No major permits this week but two did catch my eye;

- Demolition permit has been requested for 2110 ROBIE STREET, HALIFAX. This is a fourplex which to me seems like demo would only be for something bigger.

Pretty substantial Victorian building. Right next to a recent Tsimiklis demolition, so I’m going to assume it’s related. Is this guy just slowly going to take down the whole street? I’ll restate that the city shouldn’t be issuing demolition permits without rebuilding plans, especially in the middle of the city.

eastcoastal
Jul 10, 2023, 3:21 PM
The new pool opened up at the Commons yesterday and it felt like a turning point for the commons. Not to say it was in shambles, but I think it's under-utilized given its location & shape. Was there with the family and the energy was incredible (helps that it was sunny for once)

Apart from the pool itself, I was pleased to see construction work continuing to happen adjacent to the site. Some cleanup, but also likely land prep for the upcoming natural playground. This is all, of course, part of the larger master plan (https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax/regional-community-planning/regional-plan/common-master-plan) which proposes improved multi-use paths, new gathering areas (a concert venue?), and more.

This pool is not something I'm likely to take advantage of in my life, but I'm very happy to see it happen in Halifax.

Keith P.
Jul 10, 2023, 6:54 PM

Since no good deed goes unpunished, apparently a lifeguard was assaulted there over the weekend after attempting to intervene with a gang of youths who were causing problems. Maybe HRPD will need to create an aquatics division.

Saul Goode
Jul 11, 2023, 11:17 AM
Maybe HRPD will need to create an aquatics division.

Yeah. They can issue Speedo tickets...

Dmajackson
Jul 17, 2023, 2:11 AM
Demolition of 2 structures; each is a two-story wood frame building on 2731 and 2737 Robie St, North end of Halifax, NS.

Status - Submitted

No other building permits of note this week.

Haliguy
Jul 17, 2023, 4:59 PM
Demolition of 2 structures; each is a two-story wood frame building on 2731 and 2737 Robie St, North end of Halifax, NS.

Status - Submitted

No other building permits of note this week.

That's where the Coastal Café use to be?

NorthernGreg
Jul 17, 2023, 5:18 PM
That's where the Coastal Café use to be?

Yes it is - they are the last two buildings standing between Bloomfield school & May street on Robie. A small part of this property is designated for the transit ROW widening, but I'm not sure where that project stands with the rest of the land acquisitions along Robie.

I wonder if the demolition of these two buildings will have any influence on the proposed development happening at Robie/May? I'd hate to see building flattened, only to sit vacant for years like some of the rest of Robie.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246942

Haliguy
Jul 17, 2023, 6:14 PM
Yes it is - they are the last two buildings standing between Bloomfield school & May street on Robie. A small part of this property is designated for the transit ROW widening, but I'm not sure where that project stands with the rest of the land acquisitions along Robie.

I wonder if the demolition of these two buildings will have any influence on the proposed development happening at Robie/May? I'd hate to see building flattened, only to sit vacant for years like some of the rest of Robie.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246942

Yeah hate to see that too. Not sure what's going on with that development. They had a sign up for a few years ago and then took it down, maybe because the of the impending widening of Robie?

Jreeb
Jul 18, 2023, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I have been told the development is on hold until the street widening is done for the Transit Priority Corridor. Same thing goes for the neighbouring vacant lot at 2705 Robie Street at the corner of May Street. They are separate developments hopefully going up at the same time once the widening is done.

Haliguy
Jul 18, 2023, 4:29 PM
Yeah, I have been told the development is on hold until the street widening is done for the Transit Priority Corridor. Same thing goes for the neighbouring vacant lot at 2705 Robie Street at the corner of May Street. They are separate developments hopefully going up at the same time once the widening is done.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Jul 22, 2023, 7:35 PM
I had been wondering what the big pipes aboard the heavy-lift vessels in the harbour were for. Turns out they're windmill tower sections heading down to a project off the US east coast.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53064297380_540ebbb09a_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oR7oSY)20230709_173749 (https://flic.kr/p/2oR7oSY) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53063909081_2d7861b0e1_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oR5psa)20230709_174131 (https://flic.kr/p/2oR5psa) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53063321697_1eb81a89f9_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2oR2oQR)20230718_154133 (https://flic.kr/p/2oR2oQR) by AJ Forsythe (https://www.flickr.com/photos/194233676@N07/), on Flickr

Dmajackson
Jul 28, 2023, 12:40 AM
There is a 20-unit, 6-storey residential building starting construction at 5297 KENT STREET, HALIFAX.

Construction Management Plan (https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/business/planning-development/cmp-37335-5297-kent-street-nov-30-2022_redacted.pdf)

someone123
Jul 28, 2023, 8:30 PM
There is a 20-unit, 6-storey residential building starting construction at 5297 KENT STREET, HALIFAX.

This is a potentially interesting part of town that has hills, views, and some architectural gems. But many of the buildings and empty lots around there today are awful.

If the city were slightly larger by 1920 or so, this area would have filled up with much nicer apartment buildings. There are a few decent older ones but it's hit or miss. There's Smith Street which has a long row of great old houses on one side and then nondescript lowrise apartments and parking on the other side.

Dmajackson
Jul 30, 2023, 4:10 PM
Demolition permit submitted for 1533 BIRMINGHAM STREET, HALIFAX.

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Application Incomplete - 40 OCHTERLONEY ST, DARTMOUTH - $11'100'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 128 Units - 10 Floors - we want to apply for a RES/COM building according to the central plan on 28/40 Ochterloney St, Dartmouth.

mleblanc
Jul 30, 2023, 9:27 PM

Anything planned for that site? I believe that was the Childrens bookstore that didn't get their lease renewed and had to move. Arguably one of the nicest "Halifax" style rowhouses along that block. Would be a shame for it to be demo'd if it's just going to sit vacant.

Colin May
Jul 31, 2023, 1:54 AM

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Application Incomplete - 40 OCHTERLONEY ST, DARTMOUTH - $11'100'000 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 128 Units - 10 Floors - we want to apply for a RES/COM building according to the central plan on 28/40 Ochterloney St, Dartmouth.
If you want to live up close and next to a busy crematorium (behind Dartmouth Funeral Home) that is the spot.

JonHiseler
Aug 2, 2023, 12:02 AM
Anything planned for that site? I believe that was the Childrens bookstore that didn't get their lease renewed and had to move. Arguably one of the nicest "Halifax" style rowhouses along that block. Would be a shame for it to be demo'd if it's just going to sit vacant.

They owned the building, but they sold it because maintaining it was taking up too much of their focus, which I guess isn't surprising considering it's 80 years old.

Drybrain
Aug 2, 2023, 1:39 AM
They owned the building, but they sold it because maintaining it was taking up too much of their focus, which I guess isn't surprising considering it's 80 years old.

That building is definitely more than 80 years old—definitely 19th century Victorian, I’d guess 1870s-90s. The owner of Woozles made a big show of speaking out against registering it as a heritage building, then sold it for top dollar and moved. I understand the financial decision but it’s unfortunate from a heritage standpoint. I certainly hope the building isn’t torn down without a rapid redeveloped plan in place.

someone123
Aug 2, 2023, 1:49 AM
I wonder if there could be an economical way to increase density on those sites while preserving the character people care about, and ideally some physical elements. It is harder on small sites like this with wooden buildings, although the lot coverage is not 100%.

It would be a big win on this block to add some kind of medium density building that maintained the colourful detail on both sides. It would be good to see something similar along the Maxwell's Plum block on Grafton, in that case rebuilding parts from scratch.

The debate shouldn't really be a binary between demolition and registration. There are some buildings that should be fully protected, some of no value that can be demolished, and then there's a spectrum in the middle. The city should also encourage faithful reconstruction of historic architecture in some areas like the south end of Barrington (I am thinking of that Victorian brick building that got a replacement facade in the 50's or so). This could be done with density bonuses or tax breaks.

There are also a lot of historic buildings out there that are preserved but not to a great quality. An example is the "headband" where the cornice on the St. Paul's Building should be. There are so many decent streetscapes in Halifax that would be great with a couple of those projects.

Colin May
Aug 2, 2023, 7:49 PM
Lotus Point, 52 units on Ochterloney, was sold to Canadian Aprtment REIT on June 1 2023 for $20.4 million. The buyer claims to be involved in finding ways to provide affordable housing - https://www.capreit.ca/canadian-rental-housing-providers-for-affordable-housing/
The sale price values a unit at $392,000 and I know of one tenant who cannot afford the pending significant increase in rent.
The former owner owns the empty lots at Victoria and Queen and I expect plans for development will soon be filed.

kevinbottawa
Aug 8, 2023, 3:49 AM
I just visited Halifax for the first time. I returned to Toronto this morning. I have to say, I really love Halifax/Nova Scotia. The waterfront. The architecture. Spring Garden Road. Black culture. Diversity. I lived in Ottawa for 13 years before moving back to Toronto and I have to say, I found Halifax to be an overall better city than Ottawa. Between the private sector and the city, it seems like there's an appetite to make Halifax a great place to live and visit. You can sense that there's ambition. If I wasn't in the entertainment industry in Toronto, I'd strongly consider moving to Halifax.

someone123
Aug 8, 2023, 4:11 PM
I haven't been to Ottawa in many years so can't say how it's doing these days but I notice on SSP and sometimes in real-life conversations people assume that cities must be better or worse, or more or less urbane, based on the size, and they put Halifax in the small category. But that's not really how it works and Halifax isn't all that small anymore. It's possible to have a very nice and vibrant city of 500k or one with basically no urbanism or appeal whatsoever. From 1950-2000 most of the urban issues in Halifax related to suburbanization, not a lack of overall growth.

If the growth continues I think people are going to be surprised at how "big" inner city Halifax feels in a few years. And that'll mostly be driven just by gradual quality of life and public improvements (hopefully including better transit) and urban infill rather than grandiose projects or millions of people living in suburbs an hour away.

Dartguard
Aug 8, 2023, 8:50 PM
I just visited Halifax for the first time. I returned to Toronto this morning. I have to say, I really love Halifax/Nova Scotia. The waterfront. The architecture. Spring Garden Road. Black culture. Diversity. I lived in Ottawa for 13 years before moving back to Toronto and I have to say, I found Halifax to be an overall better city than Ottawa. Between the private sector and the city, it seems like there's an appetite to make Halifax a great place to live and visit. You can sense that there's ambition. If I wasn't in the entertainment industry in Toronto, I'd strongly consider moving to Halifax.

In my business life I have had the pleasure of entertaining a wide variety of business associates from World known brands such as Kitchenaid, Bosch, Henkel/Lepage , Sylvania, World Kitchen, Weber Grills. Most of those folks have been well travelled literally around the World. Without question every guest has rated Halifax no worse than top three for cities visited. I agree.

mleblanc
Aug 9, 2023, 12:16 AM

Love to hear it, glad you enjoyed your trip! Come back soon.

Dmajackson
Aug 9, 2023, 1:32 AM
Major new building permit just got issued;

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5543 BILBY ST, HALIFAX - $9'331'109 - Commercial - Retail Use - 10 Floors - Commercial Hotel

This is immediately next to NRTH Condos and on the same block as The Camille, The Bilby, The Stackhouse, and Admiral's Corner. Does anyone have information about this?

Keith P.
Aug 9, 2023, 11:28 AM
Bilby St seems a very odd site upon which to build a hotel.

I wonder if this is another planning loophole like the supposed hotel on Prince Albert Rd in Dartmouth, where a hotel was allowed to be built much taller than a residential structure.

OldDartmouthMark
Aug 9, 2023, 11:48 AM

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

I've only spent a couple of weeks in Ottawa, but enjoyed it very much. I've been to Toronto more times than I would like to admit, and can't say that it's my cup of tea.

Been in Halifax much longer than that, and have to agree that it's a great place to live.

Hope you have the chance to visit again and really get to know the city! :tup:

eastcoastal
Aug 9, 2023, 12:24 PM

I wonder if this is another planning loophole like the supposed hotel on Prince Albert Rd in Dartmouth, where a hotel was allowed to be built much taller than a residential structure.

It is an odd location in my mind... and I thought it was odd when a hotel was announced a couple blocks away at Isleville and Almon. I wonder if it'll be run similar to how the hotel at Bilby and Agricola is (Brewery Park).

Arrdeeharharharbour
Aug 9, 2023, 1:07 PM
Butler Scaffolding has been looking more and more out of place in that location. I have wondered how much longer it would remain. That lot goes through the block and fronts on Macara Street too. Functionally at least, it would seem like a good lot for a hotel. Perhaps with the proliferation of high-rise condo and apartment living in the north end, the hotels in the area will used by visitors of local residents who are unable to accommodate their guests in their small quarters. Also, the north end is quickly becoming one of THE centres of vibrancy in the city making it a destination all on its own. For certain, this is not the Bilby Street of old.

eastcoastal
Aug 10, 2023, 11:51 AM
Butler Scaffolding has been looking more and more out of place in that location. I have wondered how much longer it would remain. That lot goes through the block and fronts on Macara Street too. Functionally at least, it would seem like a good lot for a hotel. Perhaps with the proliferation of high-rise condo and apartment living in the north end, the hotels in the area will used by visitors of local residents who are unable to accommodate their guests in their small quarters. Also, the north end is quickly becoming one of THE centres of vibrancy in the city making it a destination all on its own. For certain, this is not the Bilby Street of old.

Good points... I do think Agricola and Almon are more natural fits, as they're certainly more significant circulation routes. I hope this is an interesting approach to hospitality - given the points you've raised, this might be a good opportunity for a newer model in the city.

IanWatson
Aug 10, 2023, 12:32 PM

There are actually quite a few "hotels" in the North End neighbourhood. Brewery Park as mentioned by eastcoastal, a couple on the 3100 block of Isleville, the room above Compass Distillery, etc.

Basically straddling the line between boutique hotel and Airbnb.

I think the area makes sense if you've visiting Halifax for a chill vacation.

Drybrain
Aug 10, 2023, 2:50 PM
There's a lot of accomodation hidden here and there around this area, but a large hotel like this does feel a little odd. I'd also rather this become an apartment or condo build--OTOH, there's clearly a need for new hotel rooms in the city, and as the residential Airbnb ban (which I think is a good thing) takes effect, that need will grow.

Dmajackson
Aug 14, 2023, 3:44 AM
New Building - Application Incomplete - 22 BRULE ST, DARTMOUTH - $3'250'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 38 Units - 4 Floors - New construction of a 38 unit, 4 story, slab on grade affordable housing project.

fatscat
Aug 14, 2023, 10:12 AM
New Building - Application Incomplete - 22 BRULE ST, DARTMOUTH - $3'250'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 38 Units - 4 Floors - New construction of a 38 unit, 4 story, slab on grade affordable housing project.

What does affordable housing project mean in this context? Is this government built housing?

eastcoastal
Aug 14, 2023, 7:06 PM

I saw a story about this lot in AllNovaScotia today: looks to me like the current owners are selling the lot and SAYING a hotel could be built there - they do not appear to be intent on building a hotel themselves.

eastcoastal
Aug 14, 2023, 7:07 PM

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 5543 BILBY ST, HALIFAX - $9'331'109 - Commercial - Retail Use - 10 Floors - Commercial Hotel

This is immediately next to NRTH Condos and on the same block as The Camille, The Bilby, The Stackhouse, and Admiral's Corner. Does anyone have information about this?

Oops - replied to the wrong(ish) post...

I saw a story about this lot in AllNovaScotia today: looks to me like the current owners are selling the lot and SAYING a hotel could be built there - they do not appear to be intent on building a hotel themselves.

someone123
Aug 16, 2023, 6:33 PM
Halifax Walker has a lot of videos showing the city and the latest shows Tramway facade work happening on Barrington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4CJj2rKR4

Depending on how this turns out it could look dramatically better than how this building has looked for years. I wonder if it just needs restored turrets, parging, and maybe a paint job or if more will be done?

The Jade and Green Lantern are looking good but only with partially occupied commercial units. I have often thought the little stretch along the south end of that block was oddly underdeveloped. Too bad it didn't get some larger development in the early 20th century. The former Orpheus Theatre facade used to look much nicer. Restoring it would be a good heritage district project:

https://caperpics.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/t2ec16fzqe9s3sqjhmbrbfrhu1q60_57.jpg
https://caperpics.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/barrington-street-halifax-nova-scotia-1940s/

fatscat
Aug 19, 2023, 11:45 PM

Looks like demolition of the top layer is done, mostly. From this morning:

https://i.imgur.com/AwTKSNT.jpg

Empire
Aug 20, 2023, 1:17 AM
Looks like demolition of the top layer is done, mostly. From this morning:

https://i.imgur.com/AwTKSNT.jpg

I wonder if we will finally see a real design or just another cookie-cutter plastic box?

kph06
Aug 28, 2023, 12:48 AM
The Wedgewood Motel is now gone.

JonHiseler
Aug 28, 2023, 9:25 AM
The Wedgewood Motel is now gone.

It was demolished a couple of weeks ago. They're going at a much quicker pace compared to who is demolishing the old Howard Johnson at the corner of Bedford and Larry Uteck

kph06
Aug 28, 2023, 5:58 PM
It was demolished a couple of weeks ago. They're going at a much quicker pace compared to who is demolishing the old Howard Johnson at the corner of Bedford and Larry Uteck

It had been a few weeks since I was by, the site was looking pretty tidy on the weekend. The Howard Johnson approach seems a little more hands on to preserve materials for possible sale or reuse?

I realize this also isn't really the right section to post this in, as this is in the Peninsula and DT Dartmouth Section. This would warrant its own thread in suburbs once some renderings are available.

hoser111
Aug 30, 2023, 12:22 PM
In case you didn't know, there are construction cams for the Cogswell lands here:

https://cogswellproject.photosentinel.photos/gallery/#/

Not live streaming but updated every 15 minutes.

Dmajackson
Sep 3, 2023, 1:37 PM
NEW PROJECT!

A construction permit has been submitted for;

215 WYSE ROAD, DARTMOUTH - $54'800'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 203 Units - 9 Floors - New Construction - 9 storey, 3 parking levels, Commercial on street.

This is across from Sobeys and is currently home to Hayden Auto Sales. Looks like a through lot to Rosedale Drive so hopefully ground floor retail is along Wyse and parking entrance along Rosedale.

kijoma
Sep 5, 2023, 10:34 PM

Are the values with these permits supposed to be the anticipated property value assessment or cost of construction or what? I'm confused how a 10-storey hotel would only be worth $9 million unless there are only a few rooms per floor.

kph06
Sep 6, 2023, 12:31 AM
New NSCC Residents on the waterfront.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53166932745_cd9b9c7bbe_h.jpg

someone123
Sep 6, 2023, 1:33 AM
Is that a steel frame construction rather than concrete? You tend to see it more for institutional buildings, and it seems to be more common in some regions than in others.

IanWatson
Sep 6, 2023, 12:10 PM
Are the values with these permits supposed to be the anticipated property value assessment or cost of construction or what? I'm confused how a 10-storey hotel would only be worth $9 million unless there are only a few rooms per floor.

Building permit fees are based on "construction value" but I can't find where "construction value" is defined.

someone123
Sep 6, 2023, 5:41 PM
Some discussion here about affordable housing around the Cogswell area: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-how-to-create-affordable-housing-cogswell-project-1.6953064

The page links to another story about building a 6-storey Metro Turning Point shelter along Barrington.

Lots of things to consider. They bring up mixed developments with affordable units vs. affordable buildings. I am not opposed to mixed buildings but I tend to think that if we want to move the needle in Canada there have to be large-scale affordable buildings (maybe not bespoke but standard 15-30 storey towers). I wonder what the point is of limiting building heights along that stretch of Barrington. I also wonder what would be required to make the north part of Barrington a real place and not a "traffic sewer". It depends on the design of the street, the public space around it, and the building interactions with the public space, not building heights.

Empire
Sep 6, 2023, 11:11 PM
Some discussion here about affordable housing around the Cogswell area: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-how-to-create-affordable-housing-cogswell-project-1.6953064

The page links to another story about building a 6-storey Metro Turning Point shelter along Barrington.

Lots of things to consider. They bring up mixed developments with affordable units vs. affordable buildings. I am not opposed to mixed buildings but I tend to think that if we want to move the needle in Canada there have to be large-scale affordable buildings (maybe not bespoke but standard 15-30 storey towers). I wonder what the point is of limiting building heights along that stretch of Barrington. I also wonder what would be required to make the north part of Barrington a real place and not a "traffic sewer". It depends on the design of the street, the public space around it, and the building interactions with the public space, not building heights.

Until an efficient way to include truly affordable units in new developments is devised, why not use sites that already exist. I think a 30 storey building would blend nicely in Mulgrave Park. Federal and Provincial funds could be the catylist and all units would be very affordable.

Mulgrave Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6676908,-63.5986612,3a,75y,283.46h,95.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRBHUFL3PtGzKVcmeBA33sQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Keith P.
Sep 7, 2023, 12:34 AM
As a wise commenter on that story noted, the entire Cogswell project was sold to Council by Mason and his like-minded friends on the basis that selling off the lands for development would generate the funds required to build the downtown nirvana of bike lanes, roundabouts and parks because the property was so valuable. Building subsidized housing and a bigger Turning Point shelter there would not only devalue the properties significantly but also require tax dollars tossed into the pot to make happen, thereby destroying any business case for this.

someone123
Sep 7, 2023, 12:39 AM
As a wise commenter on that story noted, the entire Cogswell project was sold to Council by Mason and his like-minded friends on the basis that selling off the lands for development would generate the funds required to build the downtown nirvana of bike lanes, roundabouts and parks because the property was so valuable. Building subsidized housing and a bigger Turning Point shelter there would not only devalue the properties significantly but also require tax dollars tossed into the pot to make happen, thereby destroying any business case for this.

It is presented a bit confusingly but I think the Turning Point site would be farther north along Barrington, not on the Cogswell lands.

Affordable housing can still be money-generating if density is permitted (and is not necessarily the same thing as a shelter). If you put 300 units on a $15M parcel the per unit land cost is a reasonable $50,000. If you demand that the parcel have a NIMBY-pleasing 30-unit lowrise, the land cost is $500,000 per unit which works out to million-plus eventual unit prices. Or alternatively the land must be sold for much less to achieve the same cost structure.

Also note that if HRM put in better transit infrastructure around there (like an underground bus loop) they'd be able to partly recoup the increased land values (or even just sell more land as less surface space would be used). That's on top of construction being cheaper when the whole area is torn up.

Dartguard
Sep 7, 2023, 12:43 AM
Until an efficient way to include truly affordable units in new developments is devised, why not use sites that already exist. I think a 30 storey building would blend nicely in Mulgrave Park. Federal and Provincial funds could be the catylist and all units would be very affordable.

Mulgrave Park:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6676908,-63.5986612,3a,75y,283.46h,95.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRBHUFL3PtGzKVcmeBA33sQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

BINGO , Excellent Idea.I notice that most media stories are focussing on marginalized communities and that Cogswell redevelopment should be low income and the Bloomfield and St Pats sites should have a component of low income. The quicker all development gets out of the ground the better for the Halifax market. Media are missing the point that the 18-34 educated cohort are losing hope in ever being able to buy anything anywhere in Canada.

The Millenials in that group are about to change Politics and policies related to Government investments and the nice to haves like low income housing, bike lanes and other Socialist ideas will be taking a back seat to lower consumer taxes, better transit and probably better wages. The Boomers retiring is what has kept unemployment lower than it should be.

The Feds just gave Irving 464 Million to expand the Shipyard and Dartmouth shops to accommodate the new Destroyers. Does anyone remember what happened to Halifax the last time the Feds made a large defence commitment? Halifax has absolutely boomed since the 2011 announcement for the NSSP. We are about to go to another level of investment in this City.

Empire
Sep 7, 2023, 1:10 AM

Speaking of parks, if what was just installed at the south end of the Cogswell St. Interchange is meant to be a park we can stop the bus right now. HRM doesn't do parks well. Poor design, poor choice of vegetation, poor maintenance and poor visioning of use. This area will be a high pedestrian traffic area and the green spaces should be a combo of hard surface materials…stone, granite etc. and planters. Lots of benches and provision for art should also be priority. 100% open grass areas with no real theme are a lost opportunity.

HRM Green Space 1:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6418967,-63.6201706,3a,75y,210.84h,84.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfjvF3DyyppFNTqwgMmXP0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

HRM Green Space 2:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6493583,-63.5849543,3a,75y,315h,96.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz6BhVwTteBNlNUdosVbZww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6493583,-63.5849543,3a,75y,315h,96.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz6BhVwTteBNlNUdosVbZww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?
entry=ttu)

HRM Green Space 3:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6513608,-63.5879591,3a,75y,328.64h,81.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZuLEAjZ5e6AzXoil_qUYig!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

HRM Green Space 4:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7005621,-63.6867573,3a,75y,59.42h,83.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5BYYgiyd4jj7cI7TU6AIWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

RoshanMcG
Sep 7, 2023, 1:51 AM
2393 MAYNARD STREET - Demolition underway

https://64.media.tumblr.com/67096347df8e669d255e384c4126f543/11d719f627a8e475-26/s540x810/d334abfc645d744882eb1bc1b86b51cecc4c8588.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson) (https://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/)

Don't think there is a thread for this but it appears to be called The Delmore

http://i.imgur.com/Rlp76dZh.jpg (https://imgur.com/Rlp76dZ)

http://i.imgur.com/uzAOuMhh.jpg (https://imgur.com/uzAOuMh)

ILoveHalifax
Sep 7, 2023, 1:53 AM
Speaking of parks, if what was just installed at the south end of the Cogswell St. Interchange is meant to be a park we can stop the bus right now. HRM doesn't do parks well. Poor design, poor choice of vegetation, poor maintenance and poor visioning of use. This area will be a high pedestrian traffic area and the green spaces should be a combo of hard surface materials…stone, granite etc. and planters. Lots of benches and provision for art should also be priority. 100% open grass areas with no real theme are a lost opportunity.

HRM Green Space 1:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6418967,-63.6201706,3a,75y,210.84h,84.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfjvF3DyyppFNTqwgMmXP0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

HRM Green Space 2:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6493583,-63.5849543,3a,75y,315h,96.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz6BhVwTteBNlNUdosVbZww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu (https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6493583,-63.5849543,3a,75y,315h,96.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sz6BhVwTteBNlNUdosVbZww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?
entry=ttu)

HRM Green Space 3:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6513608,-63.5879591,3a,75y,328.64h,81.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZuLEAjZ5e6AzXoil_qUYig!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

HRM Green Space 4:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7005621,-63.6867573,3a,75y,59.42h,83.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5BYYgiyd4jj7cI7TU6AIWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Whoever did those green spaces needs to be fired - how embarrassing

new2halifax
Sep 7, 2023, 5:16 PM

HRM Green Space 1:

HRM Green Space 2:
entry=ttu)

HRM Green Space 3:

HRM Green Space 4:

atrocious!

excerpt from: https://novascotia.ca/tran/roundabout/roundabout.asp

"Does it matter what goes into the centre of a roundabout?:

Yes. Whatever is placed in the centre of the roundabout is put there to get you to look left. You need to look left, rather than across the circle, to find a safe gap in traffic before you enter the circle.

The landscaping in the centre of a roundabout is, first and foremost, a safety feature. It is there to get you to look left in the direction of oncoming traffic. Good landscaping will block your view across the circle so that you are not distracted by activity there. Instead, you are forced to look left before you enter the circle.

Limiting vision in this way gets you to slow down and watch for a safe gap in traffic before you enter the circle."

(ps: Hi all, new to the forum and this city, very much enjoying living here!)

Empire
Sep 7, 2023, 5:43 PM
atrocious!

excerpt from: https://novascotia.ca/tran/roundabout/roundabout.asp

"Does it matter what goes into the centre of a roundabout?:

Yes. Whatever is placed in the centre of the roundabout is put there to get you to look left. You need to look left, rather than across the circle, to find a safe gap in traffic before you enter the circle.

The landscaping in the centre of a roundabout is, first and foremost, a safety feature. It is there to get you to look left in the direction of oncoming traffic. Good landscaping will block your view across the circle so that you are not distracted by activity there. Instead, you are forced to look left before you enter the circle.

Limiting vision in this way gets you to slow down and watch for a safe gap in traffic before you enter the circle."

(ps: Hi all, new to the forum and this city, very much enjoying living here!)

Welcome 'new2halifax' to Halifax and the Forum. I hope you will stay engaged and be able to bring new ideas to our fair city. Halifax has a very rich past and a promising future. We just can’t lose site of either.

Here is a real roundabout in Lisbon:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7485573,-9.1487403,3a,37.5y,134.42h,95.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxSLeUSyiA-_BmjuvveXJ3g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

someone123
Sep 7, 2023, 5:45 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7485573,-9.1487403,3a,37.5y,134.42h,95.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxSLeUSyiA-_BmjuvveXJ3g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

They provide a nice opportunity to add public art and monuments. I thought maybe something like that would happen around North Park.

The good news with the office park style landscaping of the little spit of green space by Cogswell and the middle part of these roundabouts is they're not hard to change. HRM even already has at least one statue in storage. :haha:

Empire
Sep 7, 2023, 5:55 PM
They provide a nice opportunity to add public art and monuments. I thought maybe something like that would happen around North Park.

The good news with the office park style landscaping of the little spit of green space by Cogswell and the middle part of these roundabouts is they're not hard to change. HRM even already has at least one statue in storage. :haha:

Yes, when the North Park roundabout was constructed directly on the dorstep of the Armouries I thought it was a given to have an appropriate statue / memorial installed there. It isn't too late so maybe it will still happen. There is only so much dead landscaping a city can endure.

new2halifax
Sep 8, 2023, 12:31 AM
Welcome 'new2halifax' to Halifax and the Forum. I hope you will stay engaged and be able to bring new ideas to our fair city. Halifax has a very rich past and a promising future. We just can’t lose site of either.

Thank you @Empire. I've been catching up here an there with some of the main threads and I do really enjoy the respectful and insightful discussion. It is very exciting to live in a city with such an explosion of growth and potential to redefine itself.

Keith P.
Sep 8, 2023, 11:57 AM
HRM has a nice statue of Edward Cornwallis in storage that would look good in the center of a roundabout. :lmao:

Dartguard
Sep 8, 2023, 11:59 AM
Yes, when the North Park roundabout was constructed directly on the dorstep of the Armouries I thought it was a given to have an appropriate statue / memorial installed there. It isn't too late so maybe it will still happen. There is only so much dead landscaping a city can endure.
There is that WW2 left over Sherman Tank still around the City somewhere. It used to be on the lower base at Shearwater. Hmmm.

new2halifax
Sep 12, 2023, 2:48 AM
Anyone knows what's going on the gas station at Inglis St.? It looks like repair/maintenance, but I was hopeful it was going to be replace with high density habitation. It seems a waste to have this one so close to the one at Barrington St. (~500m)
https://i.imgur.com/i2ZxzC0h.jpeg