PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118

Colin May
Apr 14, 2023, 11:49 PM
Cyclists and how they threaten pedestrians every day : https://twitter.com/NFBUK/status/1642783101381222400

Dartguard
Apr 15, 2023, 2:29 AM
Cyclists and how they threaten pedestrians every day : https://twitter.com/NFBUK/status/1642783101381222400

Oh My, I believe the Brits would call the situation a bit of bollocks.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 22, 2023, 2:22 PM
Looks like the old Holiday Inn (DoubleTree by Hilton) on Wyse Rd. in Dartmouth is transitioning to be 100% homeless shelter.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-hotel-temporary-housing-need-1.6818761

Nova Scotia's government says a Halifax-area hotel that's already been housing some homeless people will soon become a full-fledged shelter and health clinic.

The Progressive Conservative government announced Friday it's signed a deal worth $10 million to lease all 190 rooms inside the DoubleTree by Hilton hotel in Dartmouth, N.S., from May 1 until March 24, 2024.

Many homeless people had already been staying at the Hilton, in rooms rented by the government, but the hotel had continued to remain open to the public.

When the clinic opens, Health Minister Michelle Thompson says it will serve as a source of temporary support for people who need help with mental illnesses, divert people from crowded emergency departments, and help lessen the length of hospital stays for homeless people.

Keith P.
Apr 23, 2023, 10:51 AM
Looks like the old Holiday Inn (DoubleTree by Hilton) on Wyse Rd. in Dartmouth is transitioning to be 100% homeless shelter.
[/URL]

It's gone. They need to take the Doubletree logos off the building to ensure that travelers coming upon it do not stop there in hopes of using it as a hotel. It needs large featureless blue PNS signage.

Dmajackson
Apr 23, 2023, 3:31 PM
Building permit;

3521 WINDSOR ST, HALIFAX - $21'000'000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 117 Units - 7 Floors - Construct 7 storey 117 unit Residential Building

This was applied for in 2021 but it now appears to be moving ahead. There is a demolition permit for the existing multi-units at the corner of Strawberry Hill Street.

Retail permit;

2405 AGRICOLA STREET (formerly Yasmine Grocery) will be home to a wine bar.

fatscat
Apr 23, 2023, 3:40 PM
Nice to see a right-sized development on that stretch of Windsor. Absolutely needs it.

Next up, get Kempt built up .. but I think getting the land from the O'Regan's will be difficult (and costly)

Drybrain
Apr 23, 2023, 3:52 PM
Nice to see a right-sized development on that stretch of Windsor. Absolutely needs it.

The density is good, but they'll be tearing down the three-storey apartment buildings currently there (which probably rent fairly cheaply) for only a seven-storey building. Probably just a few dozen additional units, and some non-insignificant displacement of renters. Meanwhile, this stretch still has single-family houses. It's too bad we're seeing affordable rental stock getting cannibalized for only modestly denser and less affordable stock, especially given all the low-density stuff still around and ripe for replacement.

someone123
Apr 23, 2023, 4:55 PM
If the lot coverage is low and/or there is an opportunity for thoughtful adaptive reuse then adding a 7 storey building can be great. But for the clean slate teardown and rebuild style, 7 storeys is almost a pathologically bad height to allow that maximizes building costs and disruption.

I don't think the Centre Plan grappled with these trade-offs and the fine-grained nature of development very effectively. It looked a bit like a block-level or district-level plan for some kind of new city that happened to have a quirky street network and some parks in place.

fatscat
Apr 23, 2023, 11:21 PM
The density is good, but they'll be tearing down the three-storey apartment buildings currently there (which probably rent fairly cheaply) for only a seven-storey building. Probably just a few dozen additional units, and some non-insignificant displacement of renters. Meanwhile, this stretch still has single-family houses. It's too bad we're seeing affordable rental stock getting cannibalized for only modestly denser and less affordable stock, especially given all the low-density stuff still around and ripe for replacement.

Great point. I had assumed it was an empty lot / previously existing SFH. Hard to see if this in particular is progress!

Arrdeeharharharbour
Apr 25, 2023, 3:38 PM
I found it interesting to hear in a video on CBC Halifax (April 24th) that the Port of Halifax is planning on building a cruise ship docking facility on George's Island. I listened to that portion of the video a few times as it seems to me a bit 'out there' in terms of how I view the island and also the logistlcs of moving passengers back and forth from the main terminal. As talked about before, a docking facility on the Dartmouth side of the harbour was mentioned too but it sounded to me like it would be further into the future than the George's Island facility.

Saul Goode
Apr 25, 2023, 3:49 PM
I found it interesting to hear in a video on CBC Halifax (April 24th) that the Port of Halifax is planning on building a cruise ship docking facility on George's Island.

Please tell us this is a joke. Georges is a national historic site. Also doesn't sound even remotely feasible anyway.

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 25, 2023, 7:06 PM
Eek! Sounds a bit 'out there' to me. Perhaps they were just talking about being an excursion destination for cruise ship visitors?

mleblanc
Apr 25, 2023, 8:14 PM
I couldn't believe it either so I went hunting for the video: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2197719107815

It says "They don't ever want to turn away a ship, and are planning to expand berths for cruise ships to George's Island and one day, Dartmouth" at the last few seconds. I'm willing to bet it was just a misinterpretation, I can't see how that would ever make sense.

Saul Goode
Apr 26, 2023, 10:37 AM
I couldn't believe it either so I went hunting for the video: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2197719107815

It says "They don't ever want to turn away a ship, and are planning to expand berths for cruise ships to George's Island and one day, Dartmouth" at the last few seconds. I'm willing to bet it was just a misinterpretation, I can't see how that would ever make sense.

Just watched the clip. That explains it, I think. I'm 100% certain that that snippet about Georges was just Marie Adsett's muddle-brained misinterpretation of something she was told. She is decidedly not a bright journalistic light.

The idea is utterly nonsensical - the nonsense product of a clueless reporter.

terrynorthend
Apr 26, 2023, 10:46 AM

Pretty sure this is a misinterpretation or miswording by that reporter. I heard CBC radio yesterday morning talking to the port representative. He said they didn't ever want to turn away a ship, and were planning on tendering a berth OFF of George's Island, and passengers would be shuttled from ship to harbourfront by boat.

Jstaleness
Apr 27, 2023, 1:58 PM
Is it that time of year to discuss the quality of the paint HRM uses for street/crosswalk markings? Oh my gawd, why does it seem worse this year? In some places there are none left, and on night drives lanes don't exist. It's embarrassing to see comments from locals and tourists about this, year after year, and nothing changes.!!!

Saul Goode
Apr 27, 2023, 2:06 PM
Is it that time of year to discuss the quality of the paint HRM uses for street/crosswalk markings? Oh my gawd, why does it seem worse this year? In some places there are none left, and on night drives lanes don't exist. It's embarrassing to see comments from locals and tourists about this, year after year, and nothing changes.!!!

Too true. It's not just embarrassing; in certain circumstances, it's extremely dangerous. And not just HRM - the province too.

I had to drive to and from the airport at night, in a downpour, a while back. On lengthy stretches of the 102 between Miller Lake and YHZ I could see virtually nothing in the way of lane markings and it was nearly impossible to distinguish pavement from ditch. At points it was downright scary.

Other nearby provinces and states with similar climates don't seem to have nearly the difficulty we do in maintaining road markings. Are we really just that cheap that we can't do it right?

OldDartmouthMark
Apr 27, 2023, 2:43 PM
I heard several years ago that the quick deterioration of road paint was the result of the requirement for more 'environmentally friendly' paints. IIRC, this wasn't so much of an issue back when they could just use the best formulation for the job.

But yeah, I agree. What they have going on now is unacceptable.

Though I can see it being entirely possible that there are really good paints out there that meet environmental requirements, but the govt doesn't want to spend the money on it.

I've also noticed that a lot of bike lane paint has been worn off, which is a safety issue for cyclists.

Keith P.
Apr 28, 2023, 10:32 AM
The most quickly-deteriorated road paint I have ever seen is whatever was used to paint the large arrowheads on Sam Austin's anti-motorist but otherwise useless "speed tables" in his Dartmouth district. Those went in just prior to the start of winter in 2022 and now after about 6 months barely a single trace of paint remains. I guess 6 figures worth of HRM money doesn't buy what it once did.

gehrhardt
Apr 28, 2023, 11:52 AM
The worst place for line paint deterioration that I've seen is the lane shift at the Quinpool/Robie intersection, heading north on Robie. You could still make out some of the dots, but not well enough if you didn't expect it.

I have seen people ignore the shift so often that I just assume it will happen now. I went through there on Wednesday and it looks like they've finally repainted. Not sure how much of a difference it will make overall, though. Signs don't seem to help.

Jstaleness
Apr 29, 2023, 12:41 AM
Keith, you're spot on. I actually forgot they were painted.

Empire
Apr 29, 2023, 12:19 PM
It is unfortunate that the money wasted on curb bump-outs wasn’t thoughtfully invested in crosswalk safety and street signage instead. (a typical bump-out required rerouting the storm sewer catchbasin & piping). I say wasted because curb bump-outs create a definite hazard for cyclists as well as motorists not anticipating their presence that far outweigh any conceived benefit. Testament to this hazard is the fact that some bump-outs have a hazard sign placed in them. Odd that you would purposely create a hazard! The lack of crosswalk and lane markings in HRM is not only a hazard but an embarrassment and a black eye for the city.

Not maintaining paint markings because the environmentally friendly paint wears off sooner is as lame-duck as you can get. Crosswalks in general have either worn markings or no markings. Crosswalks with no markings promote J-walking and give motorists no advanced warning of the crossing.

In terms of lane markings, there are numerous streets with lanes that have no directional arrow or have only one that usually gets hidden by a car.

I wonder what a tourist or outside business investor would think driving in HRM and being surprised by a pedestrian jumping out in front of them where there were no crosswalk markings, then be confused by no directional arrows in the lanes on the street and to top it off, no posted street name at the intersection because I guess ‘everyone knows where they are going anyway’??

Saul Goode
Apr 29, 2023, 4:00 PM
Crosswalks with no markings promote J-walking and give motorists no advanced warning of the crossing.

That raises two points: first, with respect to "advanced warning of the crosswalk", there is, by law, a crosswalk at every intersection, marked or not. Pedestrians have the right of way there and drivers are obliged to yield to them. Motorists need to be aware of that. It's in the Motor Vehicle Act, it's in the government handbook given to all learners, and it's taught in every driving course, yet many drivers still seem unaware of it.

Second, in NS, jaywalking (crossing anywhere other than at a crosswalk) is perfectly legal so long as the pedestrian does not obstruct traffic. In other words, you cannot cross legally - and are subject to ticketing - if there's approaching vehicle traffic which would have to slow or stop in order for you to cross. Otherwise, you're good to go.

I wonder what a tourist or outside business investor would think driving in HRM and being surprised by a pedestrian jumping out in front of them where there were no crosswalk markings, then be confused by no directional arrows in the lanes on the street and to top it off, no posted street name at the intersection because I guess ‘everyone knows where they are going anyway’??

Agreed. We do a terrible job with roadway markings and signage, and it's not only embarrassing but outright dangerous.

Empire
Apr 29, 2023, 5:57 PM
[QUOTE=Saul Goode;9931794]That raises two points: first, with respect to "advanced warning of the crosswalk", there is, by law, a crosswalk at every intersection, marked or not. Pedestrians have the right of way there and drivers are obliged to yield to them. Motorists need to be aware of that. It's in the Motor Vehicle Act, it's in the government handbook given to all learners, and it's taught in every driving course, yet many drivers still seem unaware of it.

The point is, that drivers are unaware of the bylaw and will remain unaware of the bylaw. Also, drivers from outside the province would certainly be unaware. There are some intersections where two of the four crosswalks are painted so this would lead the driver to believe the unpainted crosswalks are not to be used. It really seems like a way to avoid painting crosswalks.

Saul Goode
Apr 29, 2023, 6:03 PM
It is unfortunate that the money wasted on curb bump-outs wasn’t thoughtfully invested in crosswalk safety and street signage instead. (a typical bump-out required rerouting the storm sewer catchbasin & piping). I say wasted because curb bump-outs create a definite hazard for cyclists as well as motorists not anticipating their presence that far outweigh any conceived benefit. Testament to this hazard is the fact that some bump-outs have a hazard sign placed in them. Odd that you would purposely create a hazard!

This farcical state of affairs may fairly be laid at the feet of our oh-so-earnest do-gooder planning fetishist Sam Austin. Few have so blissfully blown as much of our money "fixing" problems that exist only in his over-fertile imagination. I curse him every time I have to drive over one of his pointless damned Samerrhoids™, and add a second curse for the further money wasted on the faded arrows painted on them.

I can't wait to see him lose an election and be rid of his smarmy sanctimonious smirk.

Saul Goode
Apr 29, 2023, 6:09 PM
[QUOTE=Saul Goode;9931794]That raises two points: first, with respect to "advanced warning of the crosswalk", there is, by law, a crosswalk at every intersection, marked or not. Pedestrians have the right of way there and drivers are obliged to yield to them. Motorists need to be aware of that. It's in the Motor Vehicle Act, it's in the government handbook given to all learners, and it's taught in every driving course, yet many drivers still seem unaware of it.

The point is, that drivers are unaware of the bylaw and will remain unaware of the bylaw. Also, drivers from outside the province would certainly be unaware. There are some intersections where two of the four crosswalks are painted so this would lead the driver to believe the unpainted crosswalks are not to be used. It really seems like a way to avoid painting crosswalks.

I understood your point exactly. My post was more a lament/rant about Nova Scotia driver ignorance than anything.

Keith P.
Apr 29, 2023, 8:40 PM
This farcical state of affairs may fairly be laid at the feet of our oh-so-earnest do-gooder planning fetishist Sam Austin. Few have so blissfully blown as much of our money "fixing" problems that exist only in his over-fertile imagination. I curse him every time I have to drive over one of his pointless damned Samerrhoids™, and add a second curse for the further money wasted on the faded arrows painted on them.

I can't wait to see him lose an election and be rid of his smarmy sanctimonious smirk.

Indeed.

Today, for reasons that remain a mystery to me, traffic in Dartmouth was extremely heavy, especially around the end of the Macdonald and on routes leading there. I could not understand why it was stop-and-crawl on much of Victoria Rd south of Albro Lake in either direction, with the same being true for Wyse. It was utterly bizarre. I assumed there must have been a crash, or a lane closure on the bridge, but no.

I never did get to the root of the problem but I did get to see a cause. It looked a lot like Sam Austin and his back-of-the-envelope traffic redesign last year. At Wyse and Boland, traffic was backed up in both directions. Wyse Rd traffic could not get through the intersection in any volume because most of it wanted to turn onto Boland and was prohibited by Sam's traffic signal programming and signage from doing so. Coming down Nantucket the signals are no longer synchronized at Wyse with the one at the DSC entry, so very few cars get through heading onto the bridge. His erasure of the right turn slip lane prevented that traffic from flowing as well. Because of the heavy volume (for whatever reason), Nantucket was backed up onto Victoria all the way back almost to Albro Lake Rd. You never used to see that even at morning rush unless there was a crash on the bridge. The good folk of HHB had just one Halifax-bound lane available, but it was moving at least.

We need a bylaw preventing elected officials from designing intersections, signals, and rules of the road.

fatscat
Apr 29, 2023, 11:57 PM
Actually, there were pylons blocking an entire lane on the McKay and the Windsor Street Exchange was partially shut down (could not enter from McKay and had to go through Barrington). I'd know because I got stuck in that mess after returning from Porter's Lake.

Dmajackson
May 1, 2023, 1:52 AM
^I got stuck in that as well.

I browsed the weekly building permits and the only one that could be of interest is a demolition permit for 1762 ROBIE STREET. This is just north of Cedar Street next to the corner lot that has been demolished since Google Streetview last went by in 2019.

Empire
May 1, 2023, 12:19 PM

I browsed the weekly building permits and the only one that could be of interest is a demolition permit for 1762 ROBIE STREET. This is just north of Cedar Street next to the corner lot that has been demolished since Google Streetview last went by in 2019.

This is exactly the type of building for which every attempt should be made to preserve.

1762 Robie - Google Streetview:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1762+Robie+St,+Halifax,+NS+B3H+3E9/@44.6447128,-63.5891784,3a,37.5y,234.19h,94.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sth8aae-lyfGRS9lecqpC_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m7!3m6!1s0x4b5a222956a7cabf:0x9c824f5a6c88fb10!8m2!3d44.644652!4d-63.5893489!10e5!16s%2Fg%2F11c2ckb6sl

Drybrain
May 1, 2023, 12:33 PM

Assuming this is Tsimiklis again, with his bizarre piecemeal approach to demolishing Robie Street. Driving up the street has become infuriating. Pockmarked with vacant lots where houses used to be, no redevelopment plan. Derelict city-centre properties in the midst of a housing crisis. Something ought to be done to stop this guy, but nothing will.

someone123
May 1, 2023, 4:04 PM
Assuming this is Tsimiklis again, with his bizarre piecemeal approach to demolishing Robie Street. Driving up the street has become infuriating. Pockmarked with vacant lots where houses used to be, no redevelopment plan. Derelict city-centre properties in the midst of a housing crisis. Something ought to be done to stop this guy, but nothing will.

As far as I can tell the demolition permit issuing process is unusually laissez-faire in Halifax and NS. Is it still just a few years' pause even to demolish a registered heritage property? I think it used to be a 1 year delay.

There has been some work to register more properties and create heritage districts but it's been slow and I wonder if on balance it led to more demolition as property owners have been given a huge lead time to preemptively demolish. A bunch of Barrington development applications went in before that heritage district was created. The Roy demolition really had a negative impact on the historic feel of that area. Not just the demolition of the old Roy Building but the demolition of the Sackville Street buildings and land assembly.

Drybrain
May 1, 2023, 4:21 PM
As far as I can tell the demolition permit issuing process is unusually laissez-faire in Halifax and NS. Is it still just a few years' pause even to demolish a registered heritage property? I think it used to be a 1 year delay.

There has been some work to register more properties and create heritage districts but it's been slow and I wonder if on balance it led to more demolition as property owners have been given a huge lead time to preemptively demolish. A bunch of Barrington development applications went in before that heritage district was created. The Roy demolition really had a negative impact on the historic feel of that area. Not just the demolition of the old Roy Building but the demolition of the Sackville Street buildings and land assembly.

Three years, but in heritage districts there's no three-year waiting period, it's no demolition at all (without a council vote, I believe).

The big problem with Robie isn't just the heritage aspect, but the fact that demolition permits can be issued in such a prominent location, with no development plan and no timeline to rebuilding. You might think, "Who would pay to rip down a bunch of income-generating properties and then pay taxes on vacant land for an indefinite period of time?" but, well, there it is. This guy.

someone123
May 1, 2023, 4:23 PM
The big problem with Robie isn't just the heritage aspect, but the fact that demolition permits can be issued in such a prominent location, with no development plan and no timeline to rebuilding. You might think, "Who would pay to rip down a bunch of income-generating properties and then pay taxes on vacant land for an indefinite period of time?" but, well, there it is. This guy.

My impression in many cities is that there has to be some kind of development approval and plan in place, and a demolished property is considered "unsightly" (which it is).

Drybrain
May 1, 2023, 4:26 PM
My impression in many cities is that there has to be some kind of development approval and plan in place, and a demolished property is considered "unsightly" (which it is).

The city bylaw says that poor exterior maintenance of a building constitutes an unsightly property, so I guess having no building skirts that issue.

aga10
May 3, 2023, 6:01 PM

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Tsimiklis has sold most of his development sites along Robie St, Coburg Rd and Tower Rd to the brothers behind J2K. PVSC states the purchase price as $58.3m for the 10 sites. So this latest demo permit at 1762 Robie would have been issued by J2K - and I have heard the motive behind all of the quick demolition in the first place was to avoid heritage registration for any of the properties. The good news is that J2K is a very capable builder, these sites likely won't sit vacant for too long now that they are out of Tsimiklis' hands.

Drybrain
May 3, 2023, 7:43 PM
I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Tsimiklis has sold most of his development sites along Robie St, Coburg Rd and Tower Rd to the brothers behind J2K. PVSC states the purchase price as $58.3m for the 10 sites. So this latest demo permit at 1762 Robie would have been issued by J2K - and I have heard the motive behind all of the quick demolition in the first place was to avoid heritage registration for any of the properties. The good news is that J2K is a very capable builder, these sites likely won't sit vacant for too long now that they are out of Tsimiklis' hands.

Hopefully that also means Tsimiklis' buying/demolishing spree is over, though if he suddenly has $60 million to play with, maybe not? And nearly $6 million per vacant site? On lots constrained by low-density zoning? Still seems incredibly weird.

Not very familiar with J2K. Their portfolio looks pretty plain, though Coburg House (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234554) looks okay. Maximizing these lots' potential with some nice modern mid-rises would be great. Throwing up some quickie suburban-quality low-rises would be bad.

someone123
May 3, 2023, 10:20 PM
Maybe the ship has sailed but I don't think the city has comprehensive plans for which heritage areas should or shouldn't be preserved or enhanced as growth happens. There are some small heritage districts but often there are demolitions or poorly maintained buildings inside or adjacent to them and a lot of historic architecture has no protections at all. Young Street was severely mangled a few years ago, there was some complaining, then the same thing happened on Robie.

I was looking at Tower Road around Victoria Road. It has some great old buildings and a plaque with information about the historic streetscape. But then again a lot of Victorians around there aren't registered and some prominent ones are mangled or seem to be deteriorating. It could be a great streetscape but it's just mediocre as it is. Inglis is similar. I'd say Schmidtville is the only district that really feels like a heritage district in Halifax and it still has its vinyl-clad wonders, ugly modern renos, and inappropriate setbacks.

aga10
May 3, 2023, 11:51 PM
Hopefully that also means Tsimiklis' buying/demolishing spree is over, though if he suddenly has $60 million to play with, maybe not? And nearly $6 million per vacant site? On lots constrained by low-density zoning? Still seems incredibly weird.

Not very familiar with J2K. Their portfolio looks pretty plain, though Coburg House (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234554) looks okay. Maximizing these lots' potential with some nice modern mid-rises would be great. Throwing up some quickie suburban-quality low-rises would be bad.

Price is certainly on the higher side. J2K seems to be making a move to more urban developments - purchasing Wyse Road Shopping Centre in partnership with Cresco, which can support several high rises. However, I agree that suburban quality (and style) buildings don't belong in these locations. Seems to be what we are getting anyways, all looking the same.

Drybrain
May 4, 2023, 12:06 AM
l
I was looking at Tower Road around Victoria Road. It has some great old buildings and a plaque with information about the historic streetscape. But then again a lot of Victorians around there aren't registered and some prominent ones are mangled or seem to be deteriorating. It could be a great streetscape but it's just mediocre as it is. Inglis is similar.

I’m not too pessimistic about those two; there are about two dozen individual heritage registrations on Inglis, which create a sort of defacto heritage district. Tower Road has a real mix, but the Centre Plan zoning rather torturously weaves around all the historically valuable buildings, keeping them under low-rise zoning. A bunch are also registered. There’s no coherent plan as to how to develop the district, but it doesn’t feel like it’s in particularly worse shape than it used to be.

I actually took a long walk tonight and happened to stroll by the site of Cobourg House—it’s not an architectural marvel, but the massing, materials and overall feel are actually pretty good. The gaps on Robie and Cobourg now are unfortunate, but if some are filled with builds of (at least) that quality, it might be be a net positive.

kph06
May 4, 2023, 11:49 AM
A tower crane is being assembled today for the new IWK expansion on University Ave.

IanWatson
May 4, 2023, 11:49 AM
Centre Plan identifies a bunch of planned heritage districts, but of course the challenge is the time and resources it takes to get them in place. I think a major focus right now is transitioning the Barrington Street HCD from the Downtown Halifax Plan to Centre Plan so that the Downtown Halifax Plan can be discharged in full.

someone123
May 5, 2023, 5:31 PM
I’m not too pessimistic about those two; there are about two dozen individual heritage registrations on Inglis, which create a sort of defacto heritage district. Tower Road has a real mix, but the Centre Plan zoning rather torturously weaves around all the historically valuable buildings, keeping them under low-rise zoning. A bunch are also registered. There’s no coherent plan as to how to develop the district, but it doesn’t feel like it’s in particularly worse shape than it used to be.

They are pretty dumpy looking overall though, even though they have some great buildings and fixing these stretches up dramatically would take relatively little investment (just vinyl -> wood siding and paint in a lot of cases). The improvements seem to be coming very slowly or not at all, unless we're talking about new infill construction.

The St. John's heritage bylaws include items like:

"Building and Cladding/Siding Materials: ... However, veneer manmade products and similar products are not permitted."

A lot of cities are opinionated about heritage districts in this way and seem to make progress toward better appearance and integrity. I am a bit skeptical that this requires some kind of herculean planning effort that can be done in St. John's but not Halifax (really most comparable Northeastern cities probably with Halifax being an outlier).

Many of the worst offending property owners are probably landlords who are raking in the cash right now.

someone123
May 5, 2023, 5:39 PM
Some examples of what I mean.

https://i.imgur.com/zeib1Gu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bQYM9cn.jpg

This one's from 2009 because it's easier to see without leaves on the trees but hadn't changed much by 2019. Honestly I'm not sure if any of them have improved since 2009.

https://i.imgur.com/ogGRuzW.jpg

someone123
May 5, 2023, 5:49 PM
Is this in the Schmidtville heritage district or next to it? You can see how one property owner renovates the historic house on the right, but then there's an ugly hole on the left and then a bunch of vinyl-clad houses. The duplex on the left actually has a pretty grand scale:

https://i.imgur.com/7ZDYEkI.jpg

:facepalm:
https://i.imgur.com/nrBMPle.jpg

Keith P.
May 5, 2023, 6:45 PM
Student housing would get very expensive very quickly if all of those old buildings had to be restored to historic commission standards.

someone123
May 5, 2023, 6:51 PM
Student housing would get very expensive very quickly if all of those old buildings had to be restored to historic commission standards.

I don't think these are a significant portion of the housing or student housing supply. Rents are already at "because we can" prices in Halifax and they went up by about 9% last year. Likely increased maintenance requirements would eat into landlords profits to the extent they're not subsidized and these properties would remain super profitable.

Requiring wood shingles and paint is probably a fairly low cost relative to rents in central areas.

Drybrain
May 5, 2023, 8:31 PM
Some examples of what I mean.

Oh for sure, the variable state of repair is very noticeable and unfortunate, and really ought not to be allowed to continue. The Barrington/Inglis nexus is especially bad for having a high level of quality buildings but basically no controls on how they’re maintained, nor any heritage status. I remember a nice, relatively ornate Victorian on South Street was completely covered by vinyl siding a couple of years ago, and then went on the market with the listing touting “new siding!” Really a case of absentee property owners with no idea how to treat their assets.

coastalkid
May 13, 2023, 11:14 PM
Not sure if there is a thread, but here is progress on the new FBM studio on Cunard:

https://i.imgur.com/CsnkAe8h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H1LR7y0h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YEJfUg5h.jpg

Dmajackson
May 17, 2023, 8:43 PM
2393 MAYNARD STREET - Demolition underway

https://64.media.tumblr.com/67096347df8e669d255e384c4126f543/11d719f627a8e475-26/s540x810/d334abfc645d744882eb1bc1b86b51cecc4c8588.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson) (https://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/)

stevencourchene
May 18, 2023, 11:55 AM
ANS reported Dexel and paramount just bought the old salvation army building on Barrington street a new redevelopment which will preserve and restore the 130 year old Renner-carney house at 1351 Barrington street along with the 206 year old T.N. Jeffery House at 1333-35 Barrington street

Drybrain
May 18, 2023, 12:10 PM
ANS reported Dexel and paramount just bought the old salvation army building on Barrington street a new redevelopment which will preserve and restore the 130 year old Renner-carney house at 1351 Barrington street along with the 206 year old T.N. Jeffery House at 1333-35 Barrington street

Interesting. Dexel has been owned the heritage buildings for years without moving forward. I wonder if they were just waiting to get their hands on the SA building as well. Will be good to see this move forward with a restoration of those heritage structures. Louis Lawen once mused about restoring (i.e., rebuilding) the facade of the historic but literally defaced building in-between Renner-Carey and T.N. Jeffery. Would be amazing, though I doubt it will actually happen.

ManWithTheMug
May 18, 2023, 1:47 PM
Louis Lawen once mused about restoring (i.e., rebuilding) the facade of the historic but literally defaced building in-between Renner-Carey and T.N. Jeffery. Would be amazing, though I doubt it will actually happen.

Just looking at Google Street View now and never even realized that was an older building, but the mansard roof and stone foundation suggests it's probalby of the same vintage as 1351. I couldn't find any historical photos of what it used to look like but I assume they exist. It's a shame it looks the way it does now.

Drybrain
May 18, 2023, 1:55 PM
Just looking at Google Street View now and never even realized that was an older building, but the mansard roof and stone foundation suggests it's probalby of the same vintage as 1351. I couldn't find any historical photos of what it used to look like but I assume they exist. It's a shame it looks the way it does now.

Yep. If you check out the sidewalls in person it's clearly Victorian-era brick. I saw a picture once--quite attractive, though less ornate than 1351.

OldDartmouthMark
May 18, 2023, 8:45 PM
Yep. If you check out the sidewalls in person it's clearly Victorian-era brick. I saw a picture once--quite attractive, though less ornate than 1351.

It's here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9607331&postcount=1346

https://i.imgur.com/LrLg7WN.jpg
Source (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8804128&postcount=1160)

Unaltered photo:
https://i.imgur.com/O1DWk65.jpg
Source (https://twitter.com/HfxHeritage/status/807966708711522305?s=20)

someone123
Jun 1, 2023, 12:52 AM
Not sure where this house is or what the story behind it is but the posting suggests it's new and it's interesting to me how it matches the style of the house next door:

https://i.imgur.com/DaFuFsQ.jpg
Source (https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs3aKAsugs2/)

I wish there were more small buildings constructed in local rather than generic styles, as well as adaptive reuse of heritage houses that increases the density while maintaining the style (for example add a floor on top).

someone123
Jun 1, 2023, 12:58 AM

It is a great building and highlights how much better this part of Barrington used to be and could be. Given the value of this area, it would be easy to support reconstruction of that facade through added density elsewhere, such as on the former Salvation Army site. Something like Vic Suites, ideally taller, would look great there. Put a medium scale podium in front that reinforces the feel of the area and then a lighter modern tower above.

This area south of downtown is one of the "almost great" parts of Halifax that is packed with gems but has a lot of architectural duds and gaps that detract from the whole. Although the Bishop Street area is getting there.

Keith P.
Jun 1, 2023, 2:24 AM
Westwood built a bunch of those retro-style houses on Gladstone as part of the development there.

eastcoastal
Jun 1, 2023, 3:31 PM
Not sure where this house is or what the story behind it is but the posting suggests it's new and it's interesting to me how it matches the style of the house next door:

https://i.imgur.com/DaFuFsQ.jpg
Source (https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs3aKAsugs2/)

I wish there were more small buildings constructed in local rather than generic styles, as well as adaptive reuse of heritage houses that increases the density while maintaining the style (for example add a floor on top).

Looks like the house on the left is 2731 Northwood Terrace... which would make the construction site a new build (would have been an empty lot to the west(ish) of the Narrows, on Gottingen... The tape on the windows says 2725, and if you check out 2725 Northwood Terrace on Google Maps you can see the empty lot and check out the existing next-door-neighbour.

https://goo.gl/maps/RVfTg3E8MfSCCTf16

ns_kid
Jun 1, 2023, 7:31 PM
Looks like the house on the left is 2731 Northwood Terrace... which would make the construction site a new build (would have been an empty lot to the west(ish) of the Narrows, on Gottingen... The tape on the windows says 2725, and if you check out 2725 Northwood Terrace on Google Maps you can see the empty lot and check out the existing next-door-neighbour.

https://goo.gl/maps/RVfTg3E8MfSCCTf16

I believe you are correct. I parked opposite that site recently when dining at the Narrows pub on Gottingen. I was also impressed by the attention to period detail on the new build. The owners/builders deserve credit.

Summerville
Jun 1, 2023, 7:55 PM
I believe you are correct. I parked opposite that site recently when dining at the Narrows pub on Gottingen. I was also impressed by the attention to period detail on the new build. The owners/builders deserve credit.

I believe that it is Elizabeth Pacey that is building these two houses. Which is probably why they fit in with the surrounding neighbourhood

Keith P.
Jun 2, 2023, 10:33 AM
Surprised they are using wood lattice under the clapboards as a ventilation gap instead of one of the newer/better matrix materials.

Drybrain
Jun 2, 2023, 1:00 PM

I biked past this the other day and did a double take. I’s like to see more of this as well, though it’d be even better to see more density than a new SFH—e.g., triple-deckers (we don’t have them like Boston does, but there are a few historic ones around) or duplexes, at least.

JET
Jun 4, 2023, 2:25 PM
Surprised they are using wood lattice under the clapboards as a ventilation gap instead of one of the newer/better matrix materials.
Either method works.

Dmajackson
Jun 4, 2023, 2:59 PM
Building Permits Issued;

1533 BARRINGTON STREET, HALIFAX | Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit | Issued | $2'025'000 | Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) | Residential Use | 43 Units | 6 Floors

"The project is the conversion of the upper 3 commercial levels of Freemason Hall to 43 new residential units."

And a unnamed restaurant will be opening in Nova Center;

"Transforming the plain space inside nova center into a full sitdown dessert restaurant (no Alchohol Serving) which includes adding washroom, kitchen"

someone123
Jun 4, 2023, 5:40 PM
I wonder what the project will look like. It does not look like the the current building has 6 floors.

Keith P.
Jun 4, 2023, 9:46 PM
I wonder what the project will look like. It does not look like the the current building has 6 floors.

It looks to have 4 very tall floors. I would hate to see it gutted internally to restructure it with 6 floors.

mleblanc
Jun 4, 2023, 11:04 PM
It looks to have 4 very tall floors. I would hate to see it gutted internally to restructure it with 6 floors.

It's owned by the same person who did the NFB building across the street exactly like that. I don't have high hopes.

Keith P.
Jun 4, 2023, 11:41 PM
It's owned by the same person who did the NFB building across the street exactly like that. I don't have high hopes.

If that's the case, we won't need to worry about that happening in our lifetimes.

eastcoastal
Jun 5, 2023, 5:08 PM
If that's the case, we won't need to worry about that happening in our lifetimes.

LOL: true!

fatscat
Jun 7, 2023, 1:42 PM
Not a great pic, but looks like occupancy has begun on this building off Joe Howe. Five more along this stretch either approved or in the process of being built. Joe Howe 2025 will be quite a sight!

https://i.postimg.cc/v8hxWMV0/IMG-0473.jpg

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 7, 2023, 4:19 PM
IMHO a non-aesthetically pleasing conglomeration of random boxes, but housing is housing. Bring it on, and JHD is a great location for it. Too bad that it's not taller though.

fatscat
Jun 7, 2023, 4:45 PM
IMHO a non-aesthetically pleasing conglomeration of random boxes, but housing is housing. Bring it on, and JHD is a great location for it. Too bad that it's not taller though.

Yup .. WM Fares seems to own the majority of the developments so we get this random box conglomeration style. I agree, housing is housing, and density will bring more services in planned retail zones like Dutch Village Rd.

All good things.

Arrdeeharharharbour
Jun 8, 2023, 12:17 PM

Regarding additional height, I couldn't agree more. The building looks somewhat podium-esque and an additional ten stories with setback and roof top amenity space almost seems a no brainer. Whilst sitting in jammed-up traffic yesterday (becoming a regular occurance in this city) I had ample opportunity to check-out the street level presence which I think is pretty good. Nice landscaping and the main entrance corner is quite nice.

While on the topic of Joe Howe, I wish the city would do something about the near constant stream of left hand turners accross the double yellow line into the GoodLife parking lot.

Dartguard
Jun 8, 2023, 3:45 PM
Regarding additional height, I couldn't agree more. The building looks somewhat podium-esque and an additional ten stories with setback and roof top amenity space almost seems a no brainer. Whilst sitting in jammed-up traffic yesterday (becoming a regular occurance in this city) I had ample opportunity to check-out the street level presence which I think is pretty good. Nice landscaping and the main entrance corner is quite nice.

While on the topic of Joe Howe, I wish the city would do something about the near constant stream of left hand turners across the double yellow line into the GoodLife parking lot.

The City recently changed the Right turn off Joe Howe to the 102 as a signal only Right turn which is ridiculous and only serves the multiuse trail while creating an at least 4-5 Light wait for right turning vehicles.I was under the Impression that our new planners are younger enviro concerned professionals. I wonder how many litres are waisted at just that light.

fatscat
Jun 8, 2023, 3:52 PM
The City recently changed the Right turn off Joe Howe to the 102 as a signal only Right turn which is ridiculous and only serves the multiuse trail while creating an at least 4-5 Light wait for right turning vehicles.I was under the Impression that our new planners are younger enviro concerned professionals. I wonder how many litres are waisted at just that light.

Don't you worry, the amount of drivers who don't follow that signage and turn on the red is significant, so hardly any vehicle is waiting. (I take this path daily)

Dartguard
Jun 8, 2023, 4:09 PM
Don't you worry, the amount of drivers who don't follow that signage and turn on the red is significant, so hardly any vehicle is waiting. (I take this path daily)

I waited at least 4 lights a couple of weeks ago. Bumper to bumper from the Superstore to the right hand turn

kzt79
Jun 8, 2023, 4:48 PM
I believe that it is Elizabeth Pacey that is building these two houses. Which is probably why they fit in with the surrounding neighbourhood

The chemistry professor's wife?

Keith P.
Jun 8, 2023, 5:50 PM

It's all about the non-existent cyclists. What they did in Dartmouth is equally bad. No right turn from Nantucket to Wyse (where there used to be a slip lane which Austin had bulldozed) except on a dedicated signal. Same at Wyse onto Boland. Absolutely ridiculous. There needs to be a purge in traffic planning.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 8, 2023, 6:53 PM

I'm glad that it looks better in person than in photos. :tup:

Some height would definitely soften my opinion on its architecture. :D

Saul Goode
Jun 8, 2023, 7:58 PM
No right turn from Nantucket to Wyse (where there used to be a slip lane with Austin had bulldozed) except on a dedicated signal.

That one really, really grinds my gears. I used that slip lane quite frequently and curse Austin out loud every time I find myself on Nantucket and forget yet again that it's gone. If I remember in time, I'll actually cut into the Dartmouth Shopping Center lot (or even the McDonald's lot, which is connected to it) and make my way to Wyse from there.

A real piss-off.

The Hawthorne-Prince Albert intersection was, as you know, equally bastardized. To make it even worse, one night recently left-turn arrows were painted on Hawthorne, both north and southbound, leaving the impression to the uninitiated that only left turns could be made - that traveling straight across PAR or turning right onto it were suddenly prohibited. Absolutely mind-boggling. I noticed this morning that the offending arrows have now been ground off the pavement (not simply painted over). I'm sure the whole episode was unintentional - just someone's boneheaded error, but it just seemed typical of what's happening on our roads lately.

Empire
Jun 9, 2023, 1:37 AM
That one really, really grinds my gears. I used that slip lane quite frequently and curse Austin out loud every time I find myself on Nantucket and forget yet again that it's gone. If I remember in time, I'll actually cut into the Dartmouth Shopping Center lot (or even the McDonald's lot, which is connected to it) and make my way to Wyse from there.

A real piss-off.

The Hawthorne-Prince Albert intersection was, as you know, equally bastardized. To make it even worse, one night recently left-turn arrows were painted on Hawthorne, both north and southbound, leaving the impression to the uninitiated that only left turns could be made - that traveling straight across PAR or turning right onto it were suddenly prohibited. Absolutely mind-boggling. I noticed this morning that the offending arrows have now been ground off the pavement (not simply painted over). I'm sure the whole episode was unintentional - just someone's boneheaded error, but it just seemed typical of what's happening on our roads lately.

This misguided apporach to traffic management must end. Why is there no right turn from Thistle to Wyse Rd. by the Sportsplex? This has created a very dangerous situation as many vehicles turn right on red anyway just because they realize it is nonsensical. Morover, this is a main exit route for buses from the nearby terminal who now must wait at a red light for no reason. Perhaps Sam Austin can explain how this no turn right on red makes sense and back it up with data.

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2023, 10:38 AM
This misguided apporach to traffic management must end. Why is there no right turn from Thistle to Wyse Rd. by the Sportsplex? This has created a very dangerous situation as many vehicles turn right on red anyway just because they realize it is nonsensical. Morover, this is a main exit route for buses from the nearby terminal who now must wait at a red light for no reason. Perhaps Sam Austin can explain how this no turn right on red makes sense and back it up with data.

At the time when the construction was announced, he said that slip lanes were all hazards regardless of location because cyclists were getting mowed down by uncaring, evil drivers and hence such lanes must be removed, complete and utter nonsense of course. The same rationale was used at the Wyse/Boland intersection where you sit and wait for a fleeting green signal to make a right turn. That intersection also has a green/red signal just for cyclists - it took a long time to recognize the outline of a bicycle etched into the lens - which is laughable because, of course, cyclists generally feel free to ignore any traffic signals or signage, and you almost never see cyclists there anyway, so it is another of his complete wastes of tax dollars like the speed bumps and AusSticks he loves so much. He had also mentioned the similar slip lane at the intersection of Wyse heading north where it meets Nantucket by the Prezsler building would also be demolished for the same reason, but somehow that survived. This is all part of a more general sentiment among cycling activists that right turns on red should be universally banned because they are unsafe despite the absence of actual, y'know, statistics.

LikesBikes
Jun 9, 2023, 12:14 PM
Traffic is bad so our solution should be to punish non-drivers so that they're forced to drive, adding more cars to the already clogged roads. Brilliant!

Dartguard
Jun 9, 2023, 1:53 PM
Traffic is bad so our solution should be to punish non-drivers so that they're forced to drive, adding more cars to the already clogged roads. Brilliant!

Perhaps you missed my comment about waiting for at least 4 lights trying to turn right on to the 103. See Keith's remarks regarding the discretionary regard that folks on bikes have for laws of the road. Bikes will never be more than 1 % of the travelling public in this City and especially as we grow into the future.
Halifax is still a relatively cheap place to buy a house in Canada. Homebuyers, if they use bikes, do it as recreation.

I understand what the planners are trying to do in creating longer wait times for folks to get pissed off and maybe just not take that discretionary trip. The councillors driving this however will eventually get voted out.

fatscat
Jun 9, 2023, 2:28 PM
Sigh, this is probably my fault for triggering someone, but can we not? We already argue over the same thing in the Active Transport thread.

Please let's go back to our regular programming of general updates that don't warrant their own thread. :cheers:

GTG_78
Jun 9, 2023, 2:30 PM

Non-drivers are not being punished by allowing drivers to turn right on red.

It is apparent to anyone with eyes that the revamp around Wyse Road / MacDonald has been a complete disaster for traffic management. HRM - spearheaded by the District 5 councillor - has made one of the key chokepoints even worse.

The irony is that Wyse Road is *still* unfriendly to pedestrians and mass transit. HRM could have expanded sidewalks or looked at a dedicated pedway for north of the Nantucket / Wyse intersection (which is overbuilt and pedestrian unfriendly). Instead, the city prioritized cyclists above cars, buses, and pedestrians.

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2023, 5:09 PM
I understand what the planners are trying to do in creating longer wait times for folks to get pissed off and maybe just not take that discretionary trip. The councillors driving this however will eventually get voted out.

Unfortunately there are still a substantial number of uninformed or possibly delusional voters who think he is doing a good job, not because of his policy positions but merely because he does a monthly newsletter where he bloviates about all the useless things he spends public money on, while bashing the province for failing to take care of the homeless or build enough welfare housing. This from someone who fought hard to reduce building heights in accordance with obsolete planning rules, despite being in a housing crisis. Those voters need to give their heads a shake.

Haliguy
Jun 9, 2023, 5:24 PM
Non-drivers are not being punished by allowing drivers to turn right on red.

It is apparent to anyone with eyes that the revamp around Wyse Road / MacDonald has been a complete disaster for traffic management. HRM - spearheaded by the District 5 councillor - has made one of the key chokepoints even worse.

The irony is that Wyse Road is *still* unfriendly to pedestrians and mass transit. HRM could have expanded sidewalks or looked at a dedicated pedway for north of the Nantucket / Wyse intersection (which is overbuilt and pedestrian unfriendly). Instead, the city prioritized cyclists above cars, buses, and pedestrians.

I drive and bike through there. I don't see it being any worse for vehicles and its now better to bike through there.

Saul Goode
Jun 9, 2023, 5:52 PM
I drive and bike through there. I don't see it being any worse for vehicles...

I find that a truly puzzling conclusion. I've driven through there very frequently for many decades (and continue to do so), and I find the current layout ridiculous. And I don't think I'm alone.

Elimination of the slip lane from Nantucket onto Wyse Road alone makes me curse out loud.

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2023, 6:12 PM
I find that a truly puzzling conclusion. I've driven through there very frequently for many decades (and continue to do so), and I find the current layout ridiculous. And I don't think I'm alone.

Elimination of the slip lane from Nantucket onto Wyse Road alone makes me curse out loud.

Count me in the "slip lanes have no business in a pedestrian-heavy area" camp. They're designed to let vehicles slide through unimpeded without significantly slowing, and drivers often read them as little more than an extension of the straightaway. Intersections without them are intrinsically more dangerous than an intersection designed without them, as is demonstrated by actual research (https://az659834.vo.msecnd.net/eventsairaueprod/production-harding-public/0f428639c65d45afa491bd6e1235e105). There's nothing wrong with slowing down and taking a 90-degree turn.

Haliguy
Jun 9, 2023, 6:13 PM

Not sure about that one, but I don't seen any difference coming up from Alderley and coming down Nantucket onto the the bridge.

GTG_78
Jun 9, 2023, 6:13 PM
I drive and bike through there. I don't see it being any worse for vehicles and its now better to bike through there.

Sorry, but having had to obtain and provide data for one of our clients on the other side of Nantucket for a new development, that is just not accurate. There has been a pronounced increase in gridlock, and the 'improvements' are regarded as a running joke. And there will be a concerted push to scale them back as soon as there is a sea change in HRM council.

Drybrain
Jun 9, 2023, 6:30 PM
Sorry, but having had to obtain and provide data for one of our clients on the other side of Nantucket for a new development, that is just not accurate. There has been a pronounced increase in gridlock,

I've noticed an increase in heavy traffic as well, but all over the urban core. I think it has more do with the city adding 30,000 people in the past two years without an effective rapid-transit system in place--or, for that matter, enough in the way of non-car transportation options in general.

LikesBikes
Jun 9, 2023, 6:55 PM
I've noticed an increase in heavy traffic as well, but all over the urban core. I think it has more do with the city adding 30,000 people in the past two years without an effective rapid-transit system in place--or, for that matter, enough in the way of non-car transportation options in general.

This is the heart of the issue. Our population has increased significantly in the past couple of years and the city's transportation system doesn't have the capacity to serve everyone.

Since our roads are already pretty clogged, we need to get people to use more efficient modes of transport, like transit and AT, as more cars on the road will just add to congestion, pollution and making the city less attractive a place to be. Even if we ignore these things, to actually build the road network able to accommodate everyone using a car to get around would require massive wave of demolishing homes, businesses, and existing transportation infrastructure - i.e., not politically or economically feasible.

Haliguy
Jun 9, 2023, 7:10 PM
Sorry, but having had to obtain and provide data for one of our clients on the other side of Nantucket for a new development, that is just not accurate. There has been a pronounced increase in gridlock, and the 'improvements' are regarded as a running joke. And there will be a concerted push to scale them back as soon as there is a sea change in HRM council.

Lol...give a me a beak. Its not all about cars!

Haliguy
Jun 9, 2023, 7:26 PM
This is the heart of the issue. Our population has increased significantly in the past couple of years and the city's transportation system doesn't have the capacity to serve everyone.

Since our roads are already pretty clogged, we need to get people to use more efficient modes of transport, like transit and AT, as more cars on the road will just add to congestion, pollution and making the city less attractive a place to be. Even if we ignore these things, to actually build the road network able to accommodate everyone using a car to get around would require massive wave of demolishing homes, businesses, and existing transportation infrastructure - i.e., not politically or economically feasible.

Agreed, however it is balance with an increase population we will still have to expand our road network for cars at the same time getting more people using alternate modes of transportation. That includes expanding alternative transportation infrastructure to ease the amount of growth in car traffic.

Colin May
Jun 9, 2023, 8:54 PM
I ignore several 'no right turn' signs if it is safe to do so. The 'No right turn' from Wyse to the bridge is stupid and causes traffic backup and an increase in vehicle emissions. Many of the changes championed by several councillors in the urban centre cause more pollution. HRP does not enforce many of the traffic violations from the range of 'No parking' to 'No right/left turn'. For many years one or two HRP cars would briefly park on Dahlia and then Tulip to enable the issuance of tickets for violating the 'No left turn 4-6 pm' rule. HRP gave up the easy cash windfall over 5 years ago. The 'mini chaos' at Thistle & Victoria when school is out at 3 pm has resulted in no accidents despite kids and parents crossing the roads at any place and any time they consider convenient.
Generally speaking people respect rules that make sense and ignore rules that make little or no sense. Some people seem to think we have carnage on our roads but never provide data to support the changes they propose or force through.

Dartguard
Jun 9, 2023, 9:10 PM

Why are the roads clogged? I believe another poster who studied the issue in a professional capacity mentioned an interesting word.Gridlock.The City could reverse some of the silly bikelike TM recent changes and release some of the grid lock. Eliminate the signal only turns and reintroduce the slip lanes in Places such as Nantucket and Cumberland Drive.

There seems to be a shaving a melting ice cube situation with Metro Transit right now. Working conditions for the drivers are making the career choice untenable . I witnessed on Twitter a driver getting assaulted by a young Lady at least seven times before another female passenger pulls the assaulter off the Bus. The Driver to his credit just took it but given the assaulter is a member of a certain community I doubt anything would be done to her should the driver pursue charges. No should have to take that garbage but the levels of post Covid crazy out there seems to be increasing. Split shifts destroying 12-16 hours of a drivers day makes people seek a different line of work. Management issues that should be easy to fix but we seem to be living in a world of very comfortable and unassailable empires.

A friend of mine used to be very happy to take the Link from Portland Hills to her office in DT Halifax but MT took that option away and She feels very uncomfortable with the "character's " that share the bus route now. If its creepy or shady Folks won't use it. My Friend has been able to negotiate an at Home work arrangement. Not everyone has that option. The stay at home work option I do think is very much responsible for hollowing out MT's ridership. It would be interesting to see how much work from home has reduced Car trips.

Keith P.
Jun 9, 2023, 9:38 PM
Not sure about that one, but I don't seen any difference coming up from Alderley and coming down Nantucket onto the the bridge.

You really should open your eyes when you are piloting a wheeled vehicle of any sort. It is clearly far, far worse.