PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

Colin May
May 2, 2019, 5:00 PM
The province is in a better fiscal condition primarily as a result of provincial fiscal discipline, low interest rates,a 10 year boom in the world economy and abolition of long term service awards. The remaining problem is the pension plan for teachers and that can only be fixed by a significant reduction in benefits for future contributions and/or a significant increase in contributions by teachers and the province. The plan has been in deficit for over 40 years.
An aging population is a significant fiscal burden that cannot be estimated.
I'd say the refrigerator reparman has done a better job as premier than many of his supposedly better educated predecessors.

OldDartmouthMark
May 2, 2019, 8:10 PM
My point is that in many other cities, it would be considered unacceptable. Like in Montreal or Quebec City. I don't think there's any good reason for the standards along Barrington to be lower. Halifax actually should have a higher ability to pay for good quality restoration than Quebec City, because there are fewer buildings like this relative to the size of the economy. At this point, keeping buildings like this in good shape is a relatively small burden.

This ties in with what I meant about Nova Scotia being utilitarian. Day-to-day utility and property ownership are given a relatively high importance compared to what I see in other areas. So many brick Victorian buildings are "just another building" for property owners to do with as they see fit while in other cities their exteriors would be treated like public amenities. Halifax does this for some buildings like City Hall or the Citadel, but the line is drawn at a pretty extreme end of the spectrum and a lot of mid-range heritage buildings get left out.

If we're going to talk about Vancouver, almost nothing here would count as heritage in Halifax. A bunch of protected buildings are circa 1900 wooden houses. And Vancouver is considered to do relatively poorly when it comes to heritage preservation. Victoria or Portland for example are more historic (though their 19th century historic buildings are still modest compared to Halifax). Portland has a lot of historic neighbourhoods full of buildings that aren't particularly exceptional but come together to create a cohesive feel that you wouldn't get if you let property owners do whatever they felt like. Boston is like this too.

But it's obviously practical. It happens on some buildings in Halifax but not others. And in many other cities it happens for all buildings deemed to have heritage value.

The disparity I see is that Halifax is a place where you see ambitious new developments like the Nova Centre or Queen's Marque, but where it's considered potentially economically infeasible to rebuild a cornice on one of the most prominent street corners in the city. Maybe the property owners don't want to pay for it, but the money and capability to do this obviously exist, and the municipality and province have the ability to manipulate incentives to get it to happen. Within certain bounds, they determine what is and isn't economical.

I think people who live in Halifax should be demanding more; government apathy reflects apathy of the citizens. Maybe I am out of touch and this is happening. But at the end of the day we should judge that by successful restoration and preservation and so far I'm not seeing it. I think 2009-2019 was actually worse than 1999-2009, probably because development pressure rose without a commensurate increase in heritage protection. Hopefully something will change in the next decade. Maybe it should start with people demanding that all of the Dennis Building facade be maintained, not just the lower half. :)

Perhaps I'm being too 'Maritimer' when I take the standpoint that I feel lucky to have buildings like this at all. After reading through the documents and seeing the photos of all that happened with 'urban renewal' of the fifties and sixties, part of me wonders how the existing Barrington Street buildings made it through all that. Of course as we know many were lost subsequently (the CN building, the Birks Building, the Capitol Theatre, among others... and more recently the Roy building and the Zellers building - I think the last two are the most difficult to understand as they've happened within the last few years).

One thing that does occur to me is that perhaps the Barrington buildings were not razed during urban renewal because, they (A) weren't in the path of Harbour Drive, but more importantly, (B) they were recipients of better maintenance since they had the practical usage of housing businesses, offices, etc.

In that sense, I think I was selling your opinions short, as it would reinforce the idea that things which aren't utilitarian and practical are more likely to be ignored and not maintained.

I love the concept of restoring historical detail, and the Barrington Street Heritage Conservation District By-law (https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/legislation-by-laws/By-LawH-500.pdf) makes reference to it (as an option, apparently), but doesn't seem to have the teeth to make it happen, nor has the city gone out of its way to incentivize it (as you have mentioned). Regarding the cornice that was discussed, it seems like the building has been without it longer than it had it, so that it could loosely be perceived as conserving changes that have become character defining elements over time (which would definitely apply to the top 3 floors of the Dennis bldg, though it's not included in this district. Curiously the empty lot above it on Barrington is included which makes me wonder if the Barrington side of the Dennis development will have to mimic the heritage district, though hopefully better than the Roy).

I think the people do need to stand up for our built heritage, which is why I asked about the status of AGBANS in another thread. It seems that the Heritage Trust has little effect on the situation, but I was hoping that this group would be on top of the Dennis Building situation. After considering your comments about Boston, I was a little jealous to discover that they have developed what appears to be a relatively robust and effective heritage protection society - this is what I imagine the Heritage Trust was trying to do, but apparently failed in their attempt.

FWIW, I did do some quick googling of heritage properties in Canada and hit a surprising number of media articles about significant heritage properties all across the country that have been torn down, or are being threatened. This tells me that other parts of the country are struggling as well, and that there is still a healthy dose of heritage-apathy combined with a 'money trumps everything' mindset elsewhere - not just Halifax.

Through it all I want to make it abundantly clear that my strong reaction wasn't to your assertions about our historic buildings - I may argue some more minute points with you but on the whole I agree and concede that I feel your level of research and knowledge on the subject exceeds mine by a great deal. I was reacting to a feeling of Haligonians being shown in a negative light, especially in regards to the proliferation of 'journalism' such as that which I posted in the CFL thread from the Halifax Examiner. It seems like everybody has jumped on the 'Halifax is like Georgia in the 1950s' bandwagon, and to read more negativity about our citizens was becoming hard to bear.

Now, as I put aside my personal feelings about it and try to view the situation more pragmatically, I see that your assertions weren't off-base, as indicated by the article about the art gallery that I posted earlier.

My personal experience has been a little different, as just about everybody I speak to, including strangers, seem to reflect the opinion that heritage buildings are important and they are sad to see them being treated so shoddily. It gave me the opinion that the heritage detractors in places like this and other online forums are more fringe elements than mainstream. However, I'm starting to believe that my personal experience is the less-common one (as Hali87 pointed out).

OldDartmouthMark
May 3, 2019, 12:38 PM
The province is in a better fiscal condition primarily as a result of provincial fiscal discipline, low interest rates,a 10 year boom in the world economy and abolition of long term service awards. The remaining problem is the pension plan for teachers and that can only be fixed by a significant reduction in benefits for future contributions and/or a significant increase in contributions by teachers and the province. The plan has been in deficit for over 40 years.
An aging population is a significant fiscal burden that cannot be estimated.
I'd say the refrigerator reparman has done a better job as premier than many of his supposedly better educated predecessors.

My question: has this better fiscal condition come at the expense of the healthcare system?

Colin May
May 3, 2019, 1:30 PM
My question: has this better fiscal condition come at the expense of the healthcare system?
Yes. My wife and I have a family doctor because we have been with Dalhousie Family Medicine Centre for over 40 years and we don't have to worry about a doctor closing a practice. We don't mind the trip over the bridge.

Summerville
May 3, 2019, 1:49 PM
I would suggest that the issue is more structural than it is the result of austerity.

With the aging population, especially in the rural areas, the current government, like previous governments regardless of political stripe have failed to make tough decisions for fear of losing votes. Consolidating the outdated hospitals in CBRM in return for expanded central hospitals, community health centres and long term care facilities seems like the first real decision that has been properly made.

Halifax has more than half the population and is responsible for 60% of the province's GDP, yet it elects less than 50% of the MLAs. I would say this is a national trend if not international trend where a government will rely on the rural electorate for support and make decisions to maintain support regardless of whether it is actually the "right decision".

The province needs to ensure that Halifax attracts tourists and immigrants in order to keep the province's lights on. Investing in developments like the art gallery are just one component.

There is no benefit from throwing money at a health care system that is outdated in its structure, when you cannot pay for it over the long term.

The argument that the province should divert the $80 million set aside for the art gallery towards health care is laughable. This is a one-time investment from capital spending. It will likely go directly on the debt which we know is in good shape. If you spend $80 million on doctors and health care, you then spend $80 million every year after that. Its a false argument. It can't be one or the other. It can probably be both.

I know that some complain about libraries, art museums and bike lanes, but this is infrastructure that goes toward the quality of life and vitality of the city and is one of the reasons why more 20-30 year olds are moving to the city and staying. These are the people that will pay taxes, not require health care (as often) and ultimately pay for the system. Same reason why Obamacare made it mandatory for all to pay into the system to keep insurance rates down.

If anything, MacNeil will go down in history of being too much like Peter Kelly. A good "administrator", but really no vision for the big picture.

Keith P.
May 3, 2019, 3:41 PM
I would suggest that the issue is more structural than it is the result of austerity.

What "austerity"? There has been none. Over the last 10 years govt spending has increased by about $2 BILLION from fiscal '09 compared to fiscal '19. That is anything but "austerity".

Halifax has more than half the population and is responsible for 60% of the province's GDP, yet it elects less than 50% of the MLAs. I would say this is a national trend if not international trend where a government will rely on the rural electorate for support and make decisions to maintain support regardless of whether it is actually the "right decision".

This is true. One could make the case that the province should disband the HRM govt in its present form and take over running the municipal govt itself. They are rolling in revenue they do not know what to do with and thus are spending wastefully on unnecessary things.

The province needs to ensure that Halifax attracts tourists and immigrants in order to keep the province's lights on. Investing in developments like the art gallery are just one component.

I seriously doubt that spending $100 million on an art gallery will change that one iota. It is something that a very small fringe elite cares about and nobody else.

There is no benefit from throwing money at a health care system that is outdated in its structure, when you cannot pay for it over the long term.

The vested interests, from the public sector unions to the feds to doctors to opposition parties all decry any structural change. Imagine the reaction if McNeil announced that he was inviting private sector operators from elsewhere to locate here to run hospitals or long-term care facilities. We are not unique in being hamstrung by the structure of the healthcare system. Where we are somewhat unique is that our revenue base as a province has not changed enough to support the increases required given both the huge cost increases within the healthcare system driven by higher expectations and new tech, and the size of the rest of the NS govt. You can try to increase revenues - higher taxes are not a practical option for the most part, but tapping into the HRM bonanza might be - or you can try to reduce spending elsewhere within the provincial system, which has not been a serious goal given that the rest of govt continues to grow larger. This needs to be stopped to focus on the healthcare priority.

The argument that the province should divert the $80 million set aside for the art gallery towards health care is laughable. This is a one-time investment from capital spending. It will likely go directly on the debt which we know is in good shape. If you spend $80 million on doctors and health care, you then spend $80 million every year after that. Its a false argument. It can't be one or the other. It can probably be both.

I know that some complain about libraries, art museums and bike lanes, but this is infrastructure that goes toward the quality of life and vitality of the city and is one of the reasons why more 20-30 year olds are moving to the city and staying. These are the people that will pay taxes, not require health care (as often) and ultimately pay for the system. Same reason why Obamacare made it mandatory for all to pay into the system to keep insurance rates down.

The art gallery gold could just as easily be used to pay for overdue capital investment in the healthcare system. It does not need to be operating. In any event that is an arbitrary distinction that can be easily changed if there is the will to do so. The healthcare woes are not just financial as much as they are supply-based when it comes to staffing positions with medical professionals but more spending there could solve numerous recruitment ills. If that means fewer (or no) dollars for Gaelic Affairs or Office of the Status of Women or the Human Rights Commission or the Department of Fisheries, so be it.

Only a very small number of people care about those municipal projects you mentioned, and many of them do not pay very much in the way of taxes anyway. HRM's younger demographic is largely students and most of them leave when they are finished school. Those who pay for HRM's overspending are property owners, and the fatted-calf ones are young marrieds starting families by buying newish homes in the suburbs. HRM does everything possible to make them unwelcome yet they continue to come. Eliminating the "progressive" HRM govt and its bloated, misguided bureaucracy is an idea that the province needs to quietly explore. That is a structural change worth making.

Summerville
May 3, 2019, 4:15 PM
I sense from your comments that you hate the HRM government.

I never said that the MacNeil government was necessarily practicing austerity, I was merely responding to OlDartmouthMarks' previous comments.

I am actually supportive of the MacNeil governments decisions to work within its means. However, I do not believe that they have done enough to generate new revenue. I still can't forgive them for the film tax credit mistake.

But I disagree with your suggestion that Halifax's recent success is mere coincidence. Immigration is booming, as is development. Yes, immigration is a result of the federal government's policy of spreading immigration across all provinces, but immigration has been credited in Canada and the USA for spurring economic success, beyond what many experts would have expected to be a time of recession.

You can say what you want about mis-informed young adults who choose to stay in Halifax, but being a life-long resident of the peninsula, I truly believe that we are experiencing a new vibrancy to Halifax and Dartmouth. Fewer younger adults are driving cars,...some don't even have driver's licenses. And the demand for apartment units without parking is an indicator. They aren't all students.

I grew up in a family with many rental units and I still have contacts in the rental industry. There is a wholesale change occurring in the way people live. And I actually believe that the HRM government is behind in catching up.

OldDartmouthMark
May 3, 2019, 8:05 PM

With the aging population, especially in the rural areas, the current government, like previous governments regardless of political stripe have failed to make tough decisions for fear of losing votes. Consolidating the outdated hospitals in CBRM in return for expanded central hospitals, community health centres and long term care facilities seems like the first real decision that has been properly made.

If anything, MacNeil will go down in history of being too much like Peter Kelly. A good "administrator", but really no vision for the big picture.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out. I had asserted in the "Development Rumours" (of all places) thread that the problem is more systemic than budget, but at the same time I'm hearing that doctors are paid much less in NS than in other provinces, and this is the main reason that we have a shortage of GPs here.

So, I know it's way more complicated than this, but it definitely looks like it will take money thrown at salaries and other compensation plus a major reorganization/rebuild of the system (which will also cost money - but unless we get somebody in office who actually has the will and the drive to effect change, not much will happen in that regard). Either way, there will always be things other than the health care system that will need budget allocation, and to me a potentially iconic cultural centre on the waterfront is not a bad investment in the improvement of the city for its citizens and attractiveness to tourists. Culture/arts is often derided by the 'money people', but a society is always much less well off without it.

I agree with your points about the urban/rural divides related to politics - it's not a good situation. Hopefully it will be changed at some point.

Keith P.
May 3, 2019, 9:43 PM
I sense from your comments that you hate the HRM government.

I hate govts who waste public funds. So in that respect, they would win the gold medal, yes. They are a fine example of what happens when the progressives run the asylum.

I never said that the MacNeil government was necessarily practicing austerity, I was merely responding to OlDartmouthMarks' previous comments.

Could have fooled me. But fine then.

I am actually supportive of the MacNeil governments decisions to work within its means. However, I do not believe that they have done enough to generate new revenue. I still can't forgive them for the film tax credit mistake.

That's what happens when your Finance bureaucrats don't recognize the value of spin-off economic activity and whisper into the ears of their political masters that they are writing cheques to film production companies that are rich. It was a good example of a bad decision being made by believing what the bureaucrats say without questioning it.

You can say what you want about mis-informed young adults who choose to stay in Halifax, but being a life-long resident of the peninsula, I truly believe that we are experiencing a new vibrancy to Halifax and Dartmouth. Fewer younger adults are driving cars,...some don't even have driver's licenses. And the demand for apartment units without parking is an indicator. They aren't all students.

Young marrieds may well be that way. But when they have kids, living on the 8th floor of a concrete box in the middle of downtown becomes much less desirable and they move to the suburbs.

someone123
May 4, 2019, 4:41 PM
What "austerity"? There has been none. Over the last 10 years govt spending has increased by about $2 BILLION from fiscal '09 compared to fiscal '19. That is anything but "austerity".

In 2009, expenses to GDP were 25.4% in NS. In 2019, they were 25.3%. They are projected to fall to 23.8% by 2022.

I am looking at RBC's fiscal tables: http://www.rbc.com/economics/economic-reports/pdf/canadian-fiscal/prov_fiscal.pdf

I seriously doubt that spending $100 million on an art gallery will change that one iota. It is something that a very small fringe elite cares about and nobody else.

This sounds a lot like the public library, which has turned out to be an enormous success.

A new art gallery isn't guaranteed to be the same but I think there is a disconnect in that we have different groups who want different things. Medical spending and pension spending mostly benefits older people. Amenities like the art gallery are relatively attractive for a young urban crowd and tourists.

It's easy to say that health care and pensions are more vital than art galleries. However, when you assert this you are also implicitly suggesting that an even higher proportion of the tax burden on relatively poor young people should be diverted to relatively well-off middle aged and older people, often for benefits the younger people will never see as they get older. When you frame it in this way the "right answer" is much less clear. There has to be some degree of balance and generational equity.

Another angle is to consider what NS needs to do to be competitive and successful. It's not going to grow its economy by implementing excellent health care services for people in remote rural areas (who could move to the city for care but often don't want to), or extra end of life care (an area where a lot of public money is spent for relatively little quality of life gain). It would see a big payoff to turning Halifax into more of a major city with all of the amenities that people expect, and to make the waterfront a first class tourism destination.

I suspect this is a big political challenge in NS because people tend to look at government spending more in terms of fairness or lifting up poor areas than as an economic development tool. This philosophy hasn't worked out very well in past decades. NS should stop trying to paddle against the current and should recognize that its future is the central part of the province (not just Halifax but areas close enough to take advantage of the infrastructure there). If that area is successful then subsidizing the outer areas will be easier.

Keith P.
May 5, 2019, 11:09 AM
When even those involved in the arts community think it is a bad idea, perhaps it is time for the politicians to sit up and take notice.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/resistance-to-new-art-gallery-on-halifax-waterfront-is-growing-1.4404297

ILoveHalifax
May 5, 2019, 11:42 AM
When even those involved in the arts community think it is a bad idea, perhaps it is time for the politicians to sit up and take notice.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/resistance-to-new-art-gallery-on-halifax-waterfront-is-growing-1.4404297

It is amazing anything ever got/gets built in Halifax. Too bad the media is so POOR and LAZY that they cannot do a real story about anything positive. How about some info on the ARTS SCENE in Halifax and the influence of NSCAD upon that scene and how does it compare to other cities in North America. How about a story on the existing gallery and what all they hope to do for society with new larger facilities. How about some info on the site and possible architecture; could it be a LANDMARK building. It seems just to easy to interview the first few people with an ax to grind and no sense of what the city could be, and leave it there. As much as the waterfront is a wonderful place, there is really nothing cultural there. How can some people be so negative when they have not seen the info?

Drybrain
May 5, 2019, 4:17 PM
In positive heritage news, I was just this morning walking near the Knightsbridge complex on Inglis Street that was nearly destroyed by fire last year (https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/knightsbridge-complex-fire-deemed-suspicious-919041), and the rear, behind the facade, was clearly under construction, so they’re rebuilding. Any historic features inside will be long gone, but it appears it’ll continue to present the same face to Inglis. I was pretty sure it was a goner after the fire.

someone123
May 5, 2019, 4:49 PM
In positive heritage news, I was just this morning walking near the Knightsbridge complex on Inglis Street that was nearly destroyed by fire last year (https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/local-news/knightsbridge-complex-fire-deemed-suspicious-919041), and the rear, behind the facade, was clearly under construction, so they’re rebuilding. Any historic features inside will be long gone, but it appears it’ll continue to present the same face to Inglis. I was pretty sure it was a goner after the fire.

That is good news.

Inglis is so strange. It has a lot of great heritage buildings and some of the modern apartment buildings are not bad, but the whole isn't very coherent. I think it mostly comes down to a few things that are not really the "bones" of the street:

- A lot of the old buildings had setbacks that are now parking pads
- There are lots of utility poles and mangled trees wrapped around them
- There is too much ugly siding

One mystery to me is why this small area is so run down. If you go one block north, there are lots of houses in good shape. By Young Avenue it starts to get nicer too although it also gets a bit less urban. I guess this neighbourhood is heavy on rentals, and maybe it's a bit less desirable because of the adjacent industry? It has gentrified less than the North End has.

Could be great but in a poor state of repair:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6354977,-63.5717982,3a,90y,348.57h,100.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjLZpSwZcxdAAiMJP-HvcHw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Front lawns are now parking:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6349638,-63.5738585,3a,75y,320.66h,91.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgeR4mWQE5DKdaN3Zo4p0uA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A house with setback in a good state:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6345864,-63.5753423,3a,75y,159.6h,90.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUd80_mKkkdxlDQHOonK7-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Drybrain
May 5, 2019, 11:00 PM
That is good news.

One mystery to me is why this small area is so run down. If you go one block north, there are lots of houses in good shape. By Young Avenue it starts to get nicer too although it also gets a bit less urban. I guess this neighbourhood is heavy on rentals, and maybe it's a bit less desirable because of the adjacent industry? It has gentrified less than the North End has.

I think the presence of industry is one thing, and the fact that Inglis is a bit of a traffic thoroughfare--not the kind of place that attracts homeowners, but does attract landlords who don't keep their properties up as much as they should. You can see the same poor repair along South Street immediately west of Barrington.

But west of McLean Street, closer to SMU (where it's a bit quieter) Inglis improves.

atbw
May 6, 2019, 11:13 AM
I think the presence of industry is one thing

Some of the buildings on Mitchell St. right off Inglis are absolutely decrepit. Other side streets are nice though with a good number of new builds, even right up to the back of the grain elevators.

alps
May 6, 2019, 12:51 PM
Dartmouth Sportsplex renovation (photo taken yesterday). Interior is nice but the exterior is not so great from this angle (particularly the new gymnasium on the left).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Zatzman_Sportsplex_entrance_2019.jpg/1280px-Zatzman_Sportsplex_entrance_2019.jpg
(source: me via Wikimedia (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zatzman_Sportsplex_entrance_2019.jpg))

OldDartmouthMark
May 6, 2019, 2:18 PM
It is amazing anything ever got/gets built in Halifax. Too bad the media is so POOR and LAZY that they cannot do a real story about anything positive. How about some info on the ARTS SCENE in Halifax and the influence of NSCAD upon that scene and how does it compare to other cities in North America. How about a story on the existing gallery and what all they hope to do for society with new larger facilities. How about some info on the site and possible architecture; could it be a LANDMARK building. It seems just to easy to interview the first few people with an ax to grind and no sense of what the city could be, and leave it there. As much as the waterfront is a wonderful place, there is really nothing cultural there. How can some people be so negative when they have not seen the info?

Well said.

I had already posted a link to that article on the previous page, and have to say that one interviewee who happens to be an artist does not represent the "arts community".

We don't even know whether the writer cherry picked a few negative comments to create an air of controversy. Like, what percentage of "passers by" were negative vs positive about the project.

It's also interesting that one person immediately took up a petition against the art gallery, rather than to take the direction of advocating for improved health care...

Surely the comments of the health minister should have some merit:
But the province insists spending on health and culture aren't mutually exclusive, pointing out health spending is already 40 per cent of the budget -- and 13,000 Nova Scotians make a living in the arts sector.

“That provides both economic opportunity, also cultural opportunity, and we know that when recruiting professionals like physicians, that things like this - services within communities are an important feature as well,” said health minister Randy Delorey.

What percentage of the province's budget should be thrown at healthcare before the major structure/management issues are fixed? 50%? 60%? 100%? What programs and expenses should we cut?

Seems to me it's always the easy way to suggest cutting out things we personally don't like, want, or need, regardless of how others in society might benefit. I suspect the tune would change for some posters if the suggestion was to cut road maintenance in lieu of increased healthcare...

IMHO 40% is already too much of the budget towards healthcare - it's time to reconfigure and reboot the system so that money can be spent more efficiently while improving healthcare service.

Colin May
May 6, 2019, 2:48 PM
[QUOTE=alps;8563470]Dartmouth Sportsplex renovation (photo taken yesterday). Interior is nice but the exterior is not so great from this angle (particularly the new gymnasium on the left).
/QUOTE]
I agree.
The Wyse road facade is an abomination, a blank wall of grey. The building turns its back on the busiest road at the entrance to the city. At the north end the old wooden fence and storage of marine containers looks like a junkyard. The containers have been there for too many years.
And then there is the vanity sign on Thistle telling everyone they are at the 'Zatzman Sportsplex'; courtesy of a donation of $150,000 a year for the next 5 years and ignoring the millions taxpayers spent.

Summerville
May 6, 2019, 3:12 PM
Unfortunately, it is articles like this that become the information that everyone ultimately gleams about topic.

The online petition has already been discredited for its lack of truth about the proposal. The petition asks whether the province should put $130 million toward an art gallery or health care. When queried, the person behind the petition didn't know that the province was only providing $70-80 million, but couldn't go back into the petition website to change the petition details after the fact. It then becomes a situation of wrong facts, further mis-informs the mis-informed.

It would be nice if the province gave a little more detail about their contribution. Will it be a $80 million cheque or a combination of in-kind contribution and money? Keep in mind that the province owns the land on the waterfront through Develop NS. Does the provincial contribution include the land value?

Keith P.
May 6, 2019, 4:07 PM
I agree.
The Wyse road facade is an abomination, a blank wall of grey. The building turns its back on the busiest road at the entrance to the city. At the north end the old wooden fence and storage of marine containers looks like a junkyard. The containers have been there for too many years.
And then there is the vanity sign on Thistle telling everyone they are at the 'Zatzman Sportsplex'; courtesy of a donation of $150,000 a year for the next 5 years and ignoring the millions taxpayers spent.

The Sportsplex has always been a paragon of ugly '70s low-bid govt architecture and I had hopes that the renovations would address that. While it did get rid of the peeling finish on the metal roof and the sheets of chipboard that were patching holes in the walls for the last several years, the overall result is actually worse, with lots of corrugated metal siding and a patchwork of additions to the structure. I have yet to visit inside but suspect it is still the same low-ceilinged, largely windowless mess it has always been. I understand that parking for visitors now is at a premium as well because much of it has been taken away or given over to other uses.

Keith P.
May 6, 2019, 4:11 PM
Seems to me it's always the easy way to suggest cutting out things we personally don't like, want, or need, regardless of how others in society might benefit. I suspect the tune would change for some posters if the suggestion was to cut road maintenance in lieu of increased healthcare...

Surely you must realize that has been done since the Savage years in the early '90s. Why do you think NS highways are the atrocious mess they have been for decades?

IMHO 40% is already too much of the budget towards healthcare - it's time to reconfigure and reboot the system so that money can be spent more efficiently while improving healthcare service.

That will not happen unless there is something tantamount to a revolution. Between the provisions of the federal Canada Health Act preventing much in the way of structural change and the entrenched special interests of the health care public sector unions and doctor's associations, we are stuck with this.

OldDartmouthMark
May 6, 2019, 4:37 PM
Surely you must realize that has been done since the Savage years in the early '90s. Why do you think NS highways are the atrocious mess they have been for decades?

In general it seems the overall condition of the "100 series" highways are not quite as good as they were 20 years ago, the secondary roads are about the same or better than they were. I recall having to cross over into the oncoming lane (with no traffic coming, of course) on some secondary roads back then, because the road surface was in such bad condition in the lane I was in.

That said, I think 'atrocious mess' is a bit of a stretch. Having driven between NS and Ottawa last summer I'm not inclined to believe that NS roads are any worse than they are in NB, QC, or ON.

Even driving from Calgary to Vancouver a few years ago did not give the impression that our highways are suffering in comparison.

To keep it in context, we did just have a particularly hard winter on roads, with more ice buildup than I've seen in awhile, and there are a lot of damage areas that are still untouched. I expect most of that to be repaired within the next month or so, as the crews are able to get at it.

That will not happen unless there is something tantamount to a revolution. Between the provisions of the federal Canada Health Act preventing much in the way of structural change and the entrenched special interests of the health care public sector unions and doctor's associations, we are stuck with this.

I can't see a direct correlation, do you have examples you can share?

Dartguard
May 6, 2019, 6:41 PM
[QUOTE=OldDartmouthMark;8563753]In general it seems the overall condition of the "100 series" highways are not quite as good as they were 20 years ago, the secondary roads are about the same or better than they were. I recall having to cross over into the oncoming lane (with no traffic coming, of course) on some secondary roads back then, because the road surface was in such bad condition in the lane I was in.

That said, I think 'atrocious mess' is a bit of a stretch. Having driven between NS and Ottawa last summer I'm not inclined to believe that NS roads are any worse than they are in NB, QC, or ON.

Even driving from Calgary to Vancouver a few years ago did not give the impression that our highways are suffering in comparison.

To keep it in context, we did just have a particularly hard winter on roads, with more ice buildup than I've seen in awhile, and there are a lot of damage areas that are still untouched. I expect most of that to be repaired within the next month or so, as the crews are able to get at it.

Well guys, as someone who travels 45,000 km's per year for my job I have to say the roads of N.S. are NOT that bad. New Brunswick is A dream compared to before the T.C. was finished and the wide shoulders of P.E.I. actually allow you to pass gigantic Farm gear.

A really fun drive now, believe it or not, is the St Peter's road from the reservation into Sydney. Barely any police and amazing pavement that has survived the last number of Winters. My MAZDA 6 loves that road. Speed limits are just a suggestion. Just sayin.

OldDartmouthMark
May 6, 2019, 7:08 PM
Well guys, as someone who travels 45,000 km's per year for my job I have to say the roads of N.S. are NOT that bad. New Brunswick is A dream compared to before the T.C. was finished and the wide shoulders of P.E.I. actually allow you to pass gigantic Farm gear.

A really fun drive now, believe it or not, is the St Peter's road from the reservation into Sydney. Barely any police and amazing pavement that has survived the last number of Winters. My MAZDA 6 loves that road. Speed limits are just a suggestion. Just sayin.

Thanks for confirming my comments. I can't comment on Cape Breton as I haven't been there in a number of years.

Keith P.
May 6, 2019, 8:22 PM
Well guys, as someone who travels 45,000 km's per year for my job I have to say the roads of N.S. are NOT that bad.

That report is contrary to every one I have seen and heard. The 118 is like a bombing range in both directions and the 102 to the airport is disgraceful.

IanWatson
May 7, 2019, 11:32 AM
I have yet to visit inside but suspect it is still the same low-ceilinged, largely windowless mess it has always been.

The inside is quite nice. The architects did a really good job brightening the place up and opening up the spaces. The only thing is that I found it really disorienting, because you can still feel the vestiges of the old layout, but of course many things have changed a little bit. I'm sure by the next two or three times through I'll have adjusted.

teddifax
May 8, 2019, 4:38 PM
Walked downtown a bit on Monday and walked down Queen and saw a post in the window next to The Port (NSLC) that a boutique hotel and spa - Worthington Place is "coming soon".

IanWatson
May 9, 2019, 12:20 PM
Walked downtown a bit on Monday and walked down Queen and saw a post in the window next to The Port (NSLC) that a boutique hotel and spa - Worthington Place is "coming soon".

Yeah, that's been up for a little while. My understanding is that it's basically an AirBnB with a front desk. In other words, they're renting apartment units from the building and leasing them out as hotel suites, rather than building a hotel within the building.

Jonovision
May 13, 2019, 10:01 PM
Things are coming together for the remodel of the Stubborn Goat Beer Garden

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33966547658_dc035f599a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TKvrf3)20190512_202257 (https://flic.kr/p/TKvrf3) by Jonovision23 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36229421@N02/), on Flickr

ILoveHalifax
May 13, 2019, 11:59 PM
Things are coming together for the remodel of the Stubborn Goat Beer Garden

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33966547658_dc035f599a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/TKvrf3)20190512_202257 (https://flic.kr/p/TKvrf3) by Jonovision23 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36229421@N02/), on Flickr

Goat cages?

pblaauw
May 14, 2019, 5:28 AM
Goat cages?

Petting zoo. :D

IanWatson
May 14, 2019, 3:53 PM
Dunno if this one has been posted yet:

www.planoxfordhfx.ca

Second public workshop is tonight

IanWatson
May 14, 2019, 6:38 PM
So something I noticed the other day is that the Salter Block is VERY large. Like, way larger than I can imagine any $130 million art gallery being. So I wonder what that means:

a) Lots of surface parking?
b) Splitting the lot and leaving the rest for other uses?
c) Tons of public open space?
d) Co-locating with another facility (maybe NSCAD is still in the works)?

someone123
May 14, 2019, 6:51 PM
I've been wondering about that too. Hopefully the land will be used economically, and they won't just approach this from the perspective that they are using that lot and that it's free because it's publicly owned so buildings should be scattered haphazardly in a campus style in the middle of a bunch of public space with no specific purpose (see: Commons, Gorsebrook, etc.).

The idea of building a new NSCAD campus seems odd. What would happen with the old buildings? Why can't they be renovated? How come they want to move so soon after having taken on new buildings? Is this a case where maintenance comes from the NSCAD budget but the capital cost of new buildings is paid by the province, so there is always an incentive to build new?

One good approach might be to subdivide the Salter lot by continuing the boardwalk south directly over to Bishop's Landing and maybe extending Salter Street. The art gallery would go on the waterfront side. The other portion could be used for mixed use development, maybe with shared underground parking accessed from Salter.

Dartguard
May 14, 2019, 8:41 PM
So here is a bit of a thought exercise. What if the Ralston building gets bought out and demolished but the new owners add 600 parking spaces to their new mixed use proposal. The new Art Gallery gets significant support from a certain grocery Family that happens to own the largest collection of the group of seven in the World at the same time that the Liebowitz situation gets worked out. Does that open up an opprtunity to add a large performing arts space of between 1050- 2500 seats to share parts of or the other side of the Salter block? Hmmm.

terrynorthend
May 15, 2019, 1:04 AM
So here is a bit of a thought exercise. What if the Ralston building gets bought out and demolished but the new owners add 600 parking spaces to their new mixed use proposal. The new Art Gallery gets significant support from a certain grocery Family that happens to own the largest collection of the group of seven in the World at the same time that the Liebowitz situation gets worked out. Does that open up an opprtunity to add a large performing arts space of between 1050- 2500 seats to share parts of or the other side of the Salter block? Hmmm.

If only. This really needs to be like Confederation Centre in Charlottetown.

teddifax
May 15, 2019, 1:08 AM
To be in tomorrow's paper..... TexPark site , new proposal
It’s Navid Saberi’s third attempt at building on the site of the former Tex-Park parking garage in downtown Halifax but this time he’s fairly confident it will meet with the city’s approval.

“We’ve been talking to the city for about a year now,” Saberi told me in an interview.

Saberi is the CEO of United Gulf Developments Ltd., which has owned the coveted piece of downtown real estate for much of the current century.

In 2005, United Gulf initially planned to build what would became known as the Twisted Sisters project on that lot bounded by Granville, Hollis and Sackville streets. The 27-storey twisted towers were eventually approved by council, and later by the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board after heritage groups appealed the development, but United Gulf allowed the permit to expire in 2010.

In 2012 the company came back with what was described at the time as a “much grander proposal” called Skye Halifax. The original design for Skye Halifax was twin 44-storey towers curved to look like a pair of billowing sails catching the wind.

That design would have been 106 metres higher than allowed by HRM by Design, which prompted the city’s design and review committee to twice reject the proposal.

Now Saberi is again proposing to build two structures on the property, but this time both are 22-storeys high and costing about $180 million to construct. The in-and-out nature of the design, Saberi says, helps to reduce the wind effect around the buildings.

“First I’m putting in four levels

of parking on the site, which is significant because the site is over 40,000 square feet so that is going to give us quite a few ... parking spaces,” says Saberi, later calculating that it works out to be about 480 spaces underground.

The buildings are two rectangles, one situated north to south on the site and the other east to west. Saberi says he’s not sure whether they’ll both be condos or one will be condos and the other apartments.

Based on the hot apartment market currently in Halifax, he jokes, he might decide to make it all apartments.

At the ground level, he says, it will be designated for retail and restaurants. From Granville down to Hollis, Saberi says he left an opening to allow the public to walk through the property.

“The city wanted a continuous podium but leaving this opening, I felt leaving this open will be a neat way of doing it,” he says.

Part of the United Gulf plan calls for a 105-unit boutique hotel on the second, third and fourth floors, stretching across the site and linking both buildings with the entrance on Hollis Street.

Above the hotel will be residential and the two entrances for the residential space will be on Granville Street. The units are flexible, which will allow the residents to configure the space to fit their needs — one, two or three-bedrooms or more.

Saberi says the plan calls for a pool and a running track on the roof of the building.

If he gets all the approvals required to go ahead with construction, he says United Gulf will finish the Boss project on Dutch Village Road on the former site of Halifax West High School, and then proceed to begin construction of Skye Halifax by the end of 2020.

someone123
May 15, 2019, 1:27 AM
Here is a link to the article: https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/business/skyes-the-limit-311594/

It has a rendering of the path between the buildings that is to connect Hollis and Granville. Looking forward to seeing more.

Dmajackson
May 21, 2019, 11:21 PM
AGRICOLA & BILBY

http://welcometohalifax.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Concept.jpg
WelcometoHalifax.ca (http://welcometohalifax.ca/)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/94f3255e6c4a7a4bfe3cf412c4823969/tumblr_prvndaPTFs1tvjdq8o1_540.jpg
Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson) (https://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/)

atbw
May 22, 2019, 12:20 PM
AGRICOLA & BILBY

http://welcometohalifax.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Concept.jpg
WelcometoHalifax.ca (http://welcometohalifax.ca/)

I don't mind the ground floor, though I'm not sure how much it's going to reflect reality, but I dislike the 'McMain Street" aspect of this one. Website says it's going up in two phases, so why not go with one consistent upper level for P1 and a different one for P2?

Drybrain
May 22, 2019, 7:35 PM
I don't mind the ground floor, though I'm not sure how much it's going to reflect reality, but I dislike the 'McMain Street" aspect of this one. Website says it's going up in two phases, so why not go with one consistent upper level for P1 and a different one for P2?

I like that the facade is broken up--that's an element of urban design we've lost as we develop block-sized parcels with one monolithic frontage. A city feels much richer and more interesting with multiple styles and frontages, I think.

That said, I too am wary of the fakey olde-tyme appearance of the rendering. But it's apparently by Urban Renewable, who have always done really good work, so I'l cautiously optimistic.

atbw
May 23, 2019, 11:48 AM
I like that the facade is broken up--that's an element of urban design we've lost as we develop block-sized parcels with one monolithic frontage. A city feels much richer and more interesting with multiple styles and frontages, I think.

That said, I too am wary of the fakey olde-tyme appearance of the rendering. But it's apparently by Urban Renewable, who have always done really good work, so I'l cautiously optimistic.

Not to say I don't like the broken-up facade -- I'm glad it's something developers are looking at vs a monolithic wall of brick. The Vic on Hollis is one of my favourite examples of a broken-up facade that is still very much one building. The best way of doing that is with multiple buildings, though. I think it would work better if the ground level matched up with the different designs. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have two great-looking buildings than one pretending to be two. I saw their Instagram linked to Urban Renewable as well and have hopes that the renderings are more of a concept than an actual plan.

eastcoastal
May 23, 2019, 11:57 AM
Not to say I don't like the broken-up facade -- I'm glad it's something developers are looking at vs a monolithic wall of brick. The Vic on Hollis is one of my favourite examples of a broken-up facade that is still very much one building. The best way of doing that is with multiple buildings, though. I think it would work better if the ground level matched up with the different designs. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have two great-looking buildings than one pretending to be two. I saw their Instagram linked to Urban Renewable as well and have hopes that the renderings are more of a concept than an actual plan.

This one is under construction now, so I suspect the design has been developed sufficiently to start work. If this is what is being built, Phase 1 is in the lot at the corner of Bilby and Agricola that's been an exposed foundation wall only for many years. I walked past, and it looks like the house immediately to the north, on Agricola, is being used as some sort of site office/lay down area/storage, so suspect it will be the location for Phase 2.

I like Urban Renewables' work. They seem to do nice modern stuff that's historically inspired, but current and not overwrought.

I have high hopes, here.

bluenoser
May 24, 2019, 1:06 PM
Work has started on the new Lion's Head development.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47923879778_da6895c8e2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2g1SpPh)

stevencourchene
May 24, 2019, 6:37 PM
can someone post a rendering of the new lions head?

teddifax
May 24, 2019, 10:42 PM
https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018/09/12/lions-head-development-passes-second-last-hurdle-at-halifax-community-council.html

Dmajackson
May 25, 2019, 2:44 AM
This is the new Lion's Head.

http://lionshead.ca/mt-content/uploads/2019/05/newh.jpg
[SIZE="1"]http://lionshead.ca/[/SIZE (http://lionshead.ca/)

someone123
May 30, 2019, 1:01 AM
Do you know what the new Lion's Head site will be?

someone123
May 30, 2019, 1:03 AM
Here's a view from 2165 Gottingen:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5bc7ac5a93a63273458477d1/1559148494051-YH688WB0W4G8N0FDGXXB/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kDHPSfPanjkWqhH6pl6g5ph7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0mwONMR1ELp49Lyc52iWr5dNb1QJw9casjKdtTg1_-y4jz4ptJBmI9gQmbjSQnNGng/PHOTO_20190503_115757.jpg?format=2500w
Source (https://ecogreenhomes.squarespace.com/the-attic-loft)

It is great to see these small infill projects.

Looks like the old building on the Velo 2 site is gone.

OldDartmouthMark
May 30, 2019, 10:30 AM
Do you know what the new Lion's Head site will be?

From the article posted above by teddifax:
The plan is to move the Lions Head, a fixture of North End Halifax, to what is currently its parking lot at the corner of Robie and Demone streets. Saleh said Hage has a development permit and is currently in the process of applying for a building permit to build a new two-storey tavern on that lot.

“I look forward to the time where we can sit in the new restaurant that’s going to be built, the Lions Head next to this project, and admire the building next door,” Saleh said.

Colin May
May 31, 2019, 12:07 AM
Looks like HRM has bought 3 properties in preparation for re-alignment of Alderney Drive in conjunction with the 2010 expansion of Sawmill River :
134 & 136 Portland and 2 Dundas for $1.35 million. Assessed values were $826,400

Belmont House on Alderney Drive sold for $8.55 million May 23
Apartment & Commercial property on Rainmaker & Seapoint in Burnside sold April 4 for $21.75 million - 50% over assessed value.

Keith P.
May 31, 2019, 12:04 PM
Looks like HRM has bought 3 properties in preparation for re-alignment of Alderney Drive in conjunction with the 2010 expansion of Sawmill River :
134 & 136 Portland and 2 Dundas for $1.35 million. Assessed values were $826,400

Belmont House on Alderney Drive sold for $8.55 million May 23
Apartment & Commercial property on Rainmaker & Seapoint in Burnside sold April 4 for $21.75 million - 50% over assessed value.

The first purchase is the large, presumably affordable housing building on the corner and also apparently the May Garden building:

https://goo.gl/maps/fV3RjoC4aHwv1YAM9

This is the Dundas St property:

https://goo.gl/maps/3nRBaHd9V6KSN6eR7

The Portland st purchases are somewhat baffling to me. Austin wants Alderney to become mostly a cycling path and a single-lane low-speed street so who knows how badly this will get messed up.

The last property is apparently this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/WYwgrMGZtUEyZ5RV6

Querce
May 31, 2019, 10:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4fLZCUj.png

terrynorthend
May 31, 2019, 10:57 PM
From the article posted above by teddifax:

Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but what are the plans for the site that Lion's Head currently occupies (ie. "admire the building next door")?

someone123
May 31, 2019, 11:07 PM
Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but what are the plans for the site that Lion's Head currently occupies (ie. "admire the building next door")?

It's this one: https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018/09/12/lions-head-development-passes-second-last-hurdle-at-halifax-community-council.html

There's also a tower approved a couple blocks south on Robie.

RoshanMcG
Jun 2, 2019, 8:09 PM
Government of Canada invests in transportation infrastructure at the Port of Halifax and Windsor Street Exchange upgrades

The quality of Canada’s transportation infrastructure and the efficiency of the country’s trade corridors are key to the success of Canadian companies in the global marketplace. The Government of Canada invests in infrastructure projects that create quality, middle-class jobs and support economic growth.

Today, the Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, and Andy Fillmore, Member of Parliament for Halifax, announced a major investment of $47.5 million for two projects that will increase capacity at the Port of Halifax to move Canadian goods to international markets.

The first project will increase storage capacity at the Port of Halifax by connecting the South End Container Terminal to the Fairview Cove Container Terminal by rail. Among other improvements, the Port will add rail tracks within its existing footprint and acquire four new rail-mounted cranes to load and unload containers faster and more efficiently at both terminals. As a result of this project, there will be an increase in the transportation of goods by rail between the two terminals in downtown Halifax, and a reduction in traffic congestion.

The second project will upgrade the Windsor Street Exchange, which is the main access road to the Port of Halifax. This work includes realigning the Bedford Highway, upgrading Lady Hammond Road and installing new traffic signals to improve traffic flow. These upgrades will reduce traffic congestion, improve safety and increase the reliability and efficiency of freight movements.

These investments are expected to have important economic and employment benefits for the region by creating an estimated 880 jobs during construction.

The Government of Canada is supporting infrastructure projects that contribute most to Canada’s success in international trade. Trade diversification is a key component of the National Trade Corridors Fund, funding projects that:

improve the fluidity and performance of the transportation system to increase the value and volume of goods exported from Canada to overseas markets; and
increase new overseas trade as a result of the investment.
Quotes
“Our government is investing in Canada’s economy by making improvements to our trade and transportation corridors. We are supporting projects to efficiently move goods to market and people to their destinations, stimulate economic growth, create quality middle-class jobs, and ensure that Canada’s transportation networks remain competitive and efficient.”

The Honourable Marc Garneau
Minister of Transport

“As someone who has been involved with our city’s growth and economic development for a long time, I know the importance of the Port to the economy of Atlantic Canada. And as a city planner and Halifax resident, getting trucks off the downtown streets has long been a priority for me and for most Haligonians. This investment demonstrates the Government of Canada’s commitment to Halifax and our important port infrastructure”

Andy Fillmore
Member of Parliament for Halifax

Source (https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2019/06/government-of-canada-invests-in-transportation-infrastructure-at-the-port-of-halifax-and-windsor-street-exchange-upgrades.html)

There's a thread on Waye Mason's twitter (https://twitter.com/WayeMason/status/1135246187097931778) of him explaining this in some more detail. What jumped out to me most is this project is aiming to take 75% of port related truck traffic out of downtown.

Colin May
Jun 2, 2019, 8:53 PM
[QUOTE=RoshanMcG;8592569][B]Government of Canada invests in transportation infrastructure at the Port of Halifax and Windsor Street Exchange upgrades[/]
Next up, Darren Fisher announces millions for Sawmill River.

someone123
Jun 2, 2019, 9:12 PM
It'll be interesting to see the detailed plans for these projects. It sounds like expanding rail infrastructure was the right solution, instead of building, say, the truck-specific route along the rail cut. And people should think of this in terms of noise and traffic reduction, not all-or-nothing "get trucks out of downtown" solutions. It's possible to reduce noise a lot by requiring that trucks be newer, repaving roads so they're less bumpy, etc. That plus redirecting 75% of the traffic could work out to a 90% reduction in noise.

In the long run it seems like the 102 should connect up to 111. Crosstown traffic shouldn't be funneled along Bayers Road and Connaught.

terrynorthend
Jun 2, 2019, 10:27 PM
It'll be interesting to see the detailed plans for these projects. It sounds like expanding rail infrastructure was the right solution, instead of building, say, the truck-specific route along the rail cut. And people should think of this in terms of noise and traffic reduction, not all-or-nothing "get trucks out of downtown" solutions. It's possible to reduce noise a lot by requiring that trucks be newer, repaving roads so they're less bumpy, etc. That plus redirecting 75% of the traffic could work out to a 90% reduction in noise.

In the long run it seems like the 102 should connect up to 111. Crosstown traffic shouldn't be funneled along Bayers Road and Connaught.

I too have many questions. I'm concerned about "upgrading" the Windsor Street exchange where the focus is on making it easier for trucks to get to the 102. Additionally, how will this rail shuttle affect the planned commuter rail project, or indeed the future of commuter rail in Halifax?

Anxiously awaiting more detail.

someone123
Jun 2, 2019, 10:39 PM
I too have many questions. I'm concerned about "upgrading" the Windsor Street exchange where the focus is on making it easier for trucks to get to the 102. Additionally, how will this rail shuttle affect the planned commuter rail project, or indeed the future of commuter rail in Halifax?

I wonder if there are any plans to restore the dual track.

It would be a little odd if there weren't enough traffic to justify dual tracks through the cut and yet commuter rail couldn't be supported by doubling the track and perhaps adding some other sidings. Commuter rail is a low frequency service.

I hope commuter rail happens. It would be complementary to the BRT plan too.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 2, 2019, 11:12 PM
I wonder if there are any plans to restore the dual track.

It would be a little odd if there weren't enough traffic to justify dual tracks through the cut and yet commuter rail couldn't be supported by doubling the track and perhaps adding some other sidings. Commuter rail is a low frequency service.

I hope commuter rail happens. It would be complementary to the BRT plan too.

I thought restoring the second track was part of the scope of the commuter rail proposal, actually. One could see how it would add benefit for this plan as well.

I don't like this idea as much as the creation of a depot outside of the city, but it is better than doing nothing.

I too am concerned about the effect to the traffic flow at the Fairview overpass, but perhaps the release of more details will relieve this concern. Time will tell, I suppose.

Keith P.
Jun 3, 2019, 11:39 AM
According to Mason there are no design plans, no actual drawings, nothing that would actually be used for things like, y'know, a budget. So right now, this is just smoke and mirrors, another example of the federal Libs announcing some pre-election plums in a desperate attempt to win another term in office. Then of course if that happens they still can suddenly announce some unexpected downturn in the financial position and defer or cancel the whole thing.

These changes are long, long overdue and I hope something close to what is announced actually goes ahead - though they can leave out the bike lanes if they want to save money. But I cannot help be struck by the cynical vote-buying ploy. I suspect it will not help Andy Fillmore's chances much, especially since just a few months back he was braying about the need to get rid of the container pier entirely. And you know that Mason and others will be taking credit for this too when the municipal elections come along next year. Hopefully voters will have been paying attention to the ongoing debacles that are HRM politics and throw the bums out.

JonHiseler
Jun 7, 2019, 6:11 PM
Demolition of the old St. John's United Church on Windsor Street is well underway:

https://i.redd.it/f33mzbendy231.jpg

Querce
Jun 8, 2019, 4:24 AM
any idea what's going in its place?

Keith P.
Jun 8, 2019, 11:02 AM
The way HRM Council pandered to an interest group to torpedo Spirit Place and lead us to this result was shameful. Voters should remember this next fall. I hope a 25-storey tower gets approved for here as payback.

JonHiseler
Jun 8, 2019, 12:15 PM
any idea what's going in its place?

Nothing's been said about the site since 2016, but that plan involved converting the structure into apartments.

Now that it's demolished, my guess would be either condos or townhouses.

Summerville
Jun 10, 2019, 12:31 PM
That was a really well thought out project that aimed to keep seniors from the congregation in the community.

A lost opportunity.

alps
Jun 11, 2019, 3:08 AM
The way HRM Council pandered to an interest group to torpedo Spirit Place and lead us to this result was shameful. Voters should remember this next fall.

To be fair it was a previous council that rejected Spirit Place in 2013.

I agree that it was shameful and will result in a lower-quality redevelopment absent the social benefits of the Spirit Place proposal (senior's housing in a great location & maintaining a dedicated space for the St John's congregation).

someone123
Jun 11, 2019, 5:36 AM
Some of the North End infill projects:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8i4S57WkAAwiO7.jpg:large
Source (https://twitter.com/BexSaunders7/media)

Keith P.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:25 AM
To be fair it was a previous council that rejected Spirit Place in 2013.

I agree that it was shameful and will result in a lower-quality redevelopment absent the social benefits of the Spirit Place proposal (senior's housing in a great location & maintaining a dedicated space for the St John's congregation).

Let it be noted that the following current HRM Council members voted down Spirit Place: Karsten, Nicoll, Mason, Adams, Whitman, Craig and Outhit.

Querce
Jun 12, 2019, 4:01 AM
an update to the design of the alderney-portland intersection redesign

https://i.imgur.com/bs4OnEW.png

Keith P.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:24 AM
Making that area of downtown Dartmouth, already very difficult to navigate through, even more dysfunctional. More dead ends, cul-de-sacs, and closed-off streets. Unreal.

eastcoastal
Jun 12, 2019, 12:20 PM
Making that area of downtown Dartmouth, already very difficult to navigate through, even more dysfunctional. More dead ends, cul-de-sacs, and closed-off streets. Unreal.

To be fair, I can see how extending Dundas St and closing off Mill Lane might make sense - Dundas feels like more of a connector and Mill Lane seems awkward and not entirely useful.

I'm not so sure about closing off Canal St before Portland though... that seems like it would reduce connectivity.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 12, 2019, 2:18 PM
Overall, I like the idea, especially of reconfiguring the wasteland that is now the Canal St. area for future residential, etc. Up until now there has been a lot of wasted potential there.

Also opening up the location for the expansion of the daylighted canal is a good thing.

I'm assuming that Maitland St. will still connect to Portland, to provide an additional exit from the neighborhood (and the possibility for people using it to skirt around traffic?).

All in all I don't see any huge issues for traffic flow as rush hour traffic tends to flow from the right lane of Alderney to Portland anyhow.

At least they aren't installing roundabouts there... ;)

terrynorthend
Jun 14, 2019, 10:47 AM
There's been activity on the Chebucto Road Beech Street lot the past few days. Some rudimentary fencing has gone up, and now they are digging a hole.

Any idea if they are starting this development? They've been guilty in past of just using the lot for a debris or snow dump, and the fencing looks pretty insubstantial for a construction site. Also I thought they were taking down the two houses which show no sign of demo prep?

Any ideas on where this development stands?

someone123
Jun 15, 2019, 5:26 PM
W. M. Fares is planning to develop about half of a block between Bayers and Young, west of Windsor Street. Regional council will debate the development this week:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default/files/documents/city-hall/regional-council/190618rc1555.pdf

spaustin
Jun 20, 2019, 12:59 PM
Overall, I like the idea, especially of reconfiguring the wasteland that is now the Canal St. area for future residential, etc. Up until now there has been a lot of wasted potential there.

Also opening up the location for the expansion of the daylighted canal is a good thing.

I'm assuming that Maitland St. will still connect to Portland, to provide an additional exit from the neighborhood (and the possibility for people using it to skirt around traffic?).

All in all I don't see any huge issues for traffic flow as rush hour traffic tends to flow from the right lane of Alderney to Portland anyhow.

At least they aren't installing roundabouts there... ;)

This. Dundas and Maitland will connect which will actually allow people to get in and out of Dartmouth Cove. Canal Street and Mill Lane are both too close to the intersection and really don't work and Maitland, as it is now, is separated from the rest of the street network by private property. It all makes Dartmouth Cove hard to get in and out. Goal is to build next year so that we can have the extension of Dundas Street in place as a detour in time for Halifax Water to start work on Phase 2 of the Sawmill River project in 2021.

OldDartmouthMark
Jun 20, 2019, 1:05 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Sam.

Looks like a good strategy to build in a detour before major work starts around the interesection.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together - I think it will really be a big improvement. There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually. :tup:

Keith P.
Jun 20, 2019, 1:29 PM

There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually. :tup:

Now, don't get carried away. :haha:

someone123
Jun 20, 2019, 7:24 PM

Looks like a good strategy to build in a detour before major work starts around the interesection.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together - I think it will really be a big improvement. There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually. :tup:

The canal is an interesting feature that wasn't being capitalized on. Some other cities have great historic canal areas and modern redevelopments. It would only take a few developments to tie this area together with downtown Dartmouth.

(The harbour islands are another asset the city has similarly failed to take full advantage of. George's and McNab's could be great tourist attractions.)

atbw
Jun 29, 2019, 2:48 PM
There's some work happening between 1459 and 1475 Hollis. The old stairs there have been dug out and the area is fenced off. Possibly refurbishing the entryway down to the market?

someone123
Jun 29, 2019, 8:57 PM
Another North End view. You can see a small construction site near the bottom right, which I guess is probably Agricola and Bilby:

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/9c8ab111cf72fe050695afe164cd2d4d/5DB1DB1E/t51.2885-15/e35/s1080x1080/65055348_128615888355859_3527659905802717711_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com
Source (https://www.instagram.com/daverideout/)

I wonder if there's a proposal for the parking lot at Agricola and Russell. Maybe that's Oland parking?

teddifax
Jul 29, 2019, 7:28 PM
Drove by the old Garden View Restaurant site on Main St. in Dartmouth and the site is up for sale... it says As of Right Sale, so I guess the new owners could just build the old proposal without having to go through public hearings again???

Matticus
Aug 28, 2019, 1:41 PM
Looks like Queen Square is getting a new look.

https://pasteboard.co/IuNwZRO.jpg

teddifax
Aug 29, 2019, 2:50 AM
What is happening to Queen's Square?

Keith P.
Aug 29, 2019, 11:33 AM
What is happening to Queen's Square?

They are painting the exterior metal siding panels from tan to charcoal or black. I seem to recall that the tan color was the result of a repaint some years ago from whatever the original color had been.

Jstaleness
Aug 29, 2019, 2:14 PM
They are painting the exterior metal siding panels from tan to charcoal or black. I seem to recall that the tan color was the result of a repaint some years ago from whatever the original color had been.

I had noticed that as well. TBH the green color that was chosen on the last refresh didn't age very well.

Keith P.
Aug 29, 2019, 3:02 PM
I had noticed that as well. TBH the green color that was chosen on the last refresh didn't age very well.

In fairness, the exterior design of that building is so pedestrian (I was going to say "awful") that no color would probably work well. Maybe the black will disguise it somewhat.

Grabbed the OP's image and uploaded here to make it appear inline:

http://i1.imgrr.com/10A/6536_queensquare.jpg

JET
Aug 29, 2019, 4:43 PM
The black is much better than what has been there. At street level it is such an unfriendly building and the overhang does nothing for it (but is a great spot for the smokers). .

Jstaleness
Aug 29, 2019, 6:00 PM
In fairness, the exterior design of that building is so pedestrian (I was going to say "awful") that no color would probably work well. Maybe the black will disguise it somewhat.

Grabbed the OP's image and uploaded here to make it appear inline:

http://i1.imgrr.com/10A/6536_queensquare.jpg

They've made some good progress since I last saw it. Glad they are darkening the black as well.( assuming by looking at top floors) The primary coats didn't quite do it. I wonder too if it is complete building coverage or if it will be left 2 toned with the white and black.

Colin May
Aug 30, 2019, 12:15 AM
Has CSIS taken over the building ?

OldDartmouthMark
Aug 30, 2019, 2:22 AM
The black is much better than what has been there. At street level it is such an unfriendly building and the overhang does nothing for it (but is a great spot for the smokers). .

I've hated that building ever since they built it. Mostly because they displaced my grandmother out of her home - she was never quite the same for the rest of her life because she had lived on Edward Street for most of her life after the Halifax Explosion. I recall that block as a nice residential area with neighbours who were happy to be there. Now it's a blight that serves a function but does nothing for the surrounding neighbourhood - you might say it helped along the decline of that area which is just starting to rebound today, some 40 years later.

But... yeah... the dark paint looks better.

pblaauw
Aug 30, 2019, 3:19 AM
Anyone know what's going on at Inglis and South Park? The Christian Science church and reading room were torn down a few months ago and there's a big hole being dug now.

Is it one of those skinny, tall buildings I hear so much about? :D

Querce
Sep 1, 2019, 7:40 PM
Anyone know what's going on in the empty lot on Tacoma? I saw some construction type fences up around the lot today

midasmull
Sep 3, 2019, 11:24 AM
Anyone know what's going on at Inglis and South Park? The Christian Science church and reading room were torn down a few months ago and there's a big hole being dug now.

The Szulewic brothers acquired the site but it sounds like there are no imminent plans for development. They are preparing to develop a 12 unit apartment building across the street (corner of Inglis and Ivanhoe) - given the lack of parking, the article speculated that residents would be able to park at the former Christian Science Church site so we might see it used as a parking lot for the foreseeable future.

Keith P.
Sep 3, 2019, 2:21 PM

That's too bad but not really surprising I guess. When I lived nearby years ago I always liked that pocket park setting and the floor to ceiling glass of the reading room. Was just a very nice spot overall.

OldDartmouthMark
Sep 3, 2019, 3:07 PM
That's too bad but not really surprising I guess. When I lived nearby years ago I always liked that pocket park setting and the floor to ceiling glass of the reading room. Was just a very nice spot overall.

Stephen Archibald blogged about it earlier this summer:

https://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedinnovascotia/2019/06/lift-me-up-dont-dumb-me-down/

pblaauw
Sep 4, 2019, 7:44 AM
The Szulewic brothers acquired the site but it sounds like there are no imminent plans for development. They are preparing to develop a 12 unit apartment building across the street (corner of Inglis and Ivanhoe) - given the lack of parking, the article speculated that residents would be able to park at the former Christian Science Church site so we might see it used as a parking lot for the foreseeable future.

It's a pretty deep hole, now. Suitable for a tiny parking garage, maybe.

midasmull
Sep 4, 2019, 12:13 PM
It's a pretty deep hole, now. Suitable for a tiny parking garage, maybe.

Jeep-only parking