PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

someone123
Oct 26, 2014, 6:14 PM
Probably a bad time to own properties that would have been regarded as Class A space like Scotia Square and the RBC and BMO Buildings. Several possible futures for them.

Yes. Tracking vacancies alone doesn't really show the (largely positive) process that is taking place. What is happening right now is much better for the downtown than the stagnation of the 90's. The eventual result will be better, newer buildings, and free space to be backfilled by offices or other uses that otherwise might not have been able to find space downtown.

Another reason why this is happening now is that the bank leases are ending and they are looking for new space.

counterfactual
Oct 27, 2014, 3:26 AM
Probably a bad time to own properties that would have been regarded as Class A space like Scotia Square and the RBC and BMO Buildings. Several possible futures for them.

(1) They lose the banks, insurance companies and law firms and become cheaper locations attractive to smaller companies. Kind of 1970s versions of what the Roy Building on Barrington was.
(2) They get converted to residential uses. Has happened in the past. The Radisson Hotel began as an office building as did the Canada Permanent Insurance Building (now residential). This could end up being a major long-term plus for Downtown as it would add a considerable number of residents. Imagine Scotia Square as Scotia Village instead!
(3) They get demolished or renovated to keep up with the competition. This seems to be what Theil is doing with his aging office buildings. TD is done, but it might be too late to make it work in this economic cycle with RBC and BMO.

Expect some of the office buildings that haven't started construction yet or were in the proposal phase to remain there.

Yes. Thank you. Precisely. One of the reasons business sprawl parks have been out-competing downtown office, is that downtown office space has largely been crappy out of date office buildings, with steep rents. Understandably, businesses have opted for newer offices at cheaper rents.

Finally, this new office development and spiking vacancy rate will force these landlords and property owners to invest-- as you say, Thiel and TD are figuring this out.

counterfactual
Oct 27, 2014, 3:28 AM
Yes. Tracking vacancies alone doesn't really show the (largely positive) process that is taking place. What is happening right now is much better for the downtown than the stagnation of the 90's. The eventual result will be better, newer buildings, and free space to be backfilled by offices or other uses that otherwise might not have been able to find space downtown.

Another reason why this is happening now is that the bank leases are ending and they are looking for new space.

Yes! The virtuous cycle, finally, after decades of stagnation downtown.

I still attribute a lot of this to HRMxD. Once you had more development certainty, things would happen. The Nova Centre will similarly create even more pressure.

Thiel is "on hold", but I suspect not for long. They will lose their clients to the Nova Centre and TD Centre. They need to move now, to secure some anchor clients later.

Ziobrop
Oct 27, 2014, 12:41 PM
Thiel is "on hold", but I suspect not for long. They will lose their clients to the Nova Centre and TD Centre. They need to move now, to secure some anchor clients later.

I was told at least 4 years. I know 1 floor in RBC was just leased for a year for swing space by a gov dept.

counterfactual
Oct 28, 2014, 2:29 AM
I was told at least 4 years. I know 1 floor in RBC was just leased for a year for swing space by a gov dept.

4 years... ugh.... *deflated*

mcmcclassic
Nov 7, 2014, 1:01 PM
There's a wood framed building going up on King St. between Queen and Ochterloney St. Any ideas of what this could be? It's currently on floor 1.

JET
Nov 7, 2014, 1:43 PM
There was a house there, that was recently demolished, but don't know what's going to replace it.

Ziobrop
Nov 7, 2014, 3:24 PM
4 years... ugh.... *deflated*

I can confirm. 2year lease, with 2, 1 year options.
this development is officially stalled.

Colin May
Nov 7, 2014, 3:51 PM
There's a wood framed building going up on King St. between Queen and Ochterloney St. Any ideas of what this could be? It's currently on floor 1.
Rental, at least 2 units. New owner, first project.

mcmcclassic
Nov 7, 2014, 5:00 PM
Rental, at least 2 units. New owner, first project.

Thanks for that. Always nice to see lots getting filled in in DT Dartmouth, even if it's a small development.

counterfactual
Nov 7, 2014, 10:20 PM
I can confirm. 2year lease, with 2, 1 year options.
this development is officially stalled.

Any reason why?

Ziobrop
Nov 8, 2014, 3:29 AM
Any reason why?
No idea. Probably no tennants

But if they were going to demo the building, they wouldn't be signing new leases

Colin May
Nov 8, 2014, 3:33 AM
Thanks for that. Always nice to see lots getting filled in in DT Dartmouth, even if it's a small development.
I don't know if the guy, from Cape Breton I am told, knows that he is building next to a crematorium.

Dmajackson
Nov 8, 2014, 1:42 PM
I don't know if the guy, from Cape Breton I am told, knows that he is building next to a crematorium.

Crematoriums are actually great places to live next to. They are quiet and rarely advertise their presence. I lived next to one for a while and didn't even realise it until after I moved away.

At the least you'll never get a complaint from the neighbours! ;)

JET
Nov 8, 2014, 4:06 PM

which building is the crematorium in?

Colin May
Nov 8, 2014, 4:22 PM
which building is the crematorium in?
Immediately behind, belongs to Dartmouth Funeral home.
And my better half tells me the new building will be 4 storeys and perhaps 10 units - mostly 1 bedroom.

Drybrain
Nov 10, 2014, 4:21 PM
NSCAD seems to be repainting some of their buildings facing Granville and Hollis Streets—though IMO they could probably use a more substantial facade restoration, especially the Hollis-facing side. Regardless, they're looking a bit sharper.

And more importantly, the owner of Chives tweeted on the weekend that the Pacific Building is being restored, and sure enough, there was scaffolding in front of it today and over the weekend. Not sure if it's a full top-to-bottom repair, but something is happening.

Even more reason to reiterate what I posted a few days ago: The Green Lantern might soon be the only truly shabby-looking building left on Barrington if the owner doesn't stop complaining about Juan damage and fix it, already.

JET
Nov 10, 2014, 5:32 PM
NSCAD seems to be repainting some of their buildings facing Granville and Hollis Streets—though IMO they could probably use a more substantial facade restoration, especially the Hollis-facing side. Regardless, they're looking a bit sharper.

And more importantly, the owner of Chives tweeted on the weekend that the Pacific Building is being restored, and sure enough, there was scaffolding in front of it today and over the weekend. Not sure if it's a full top-to-bottom repair, but something is happening.

Even more reason to reiterate what I posted a few days ago: The Green Lantern might soon be the only truly shabby-looking building left on Barrington if the owner doesn't stop complaining about Juan damage and fix it, already.

I have always really disliked the first floor facade of the Pacific building, not very inviting. Be nice if an historic restoration could be done. http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=5640#i1

JET
Nov 10, 2014, 5:39 PM
I had forgotten about this, an then came accross it.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=147806

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 10, 2014, 5:42 PM
I have always really disliked the first floor facade of the Pacific building, not very inviting. Be nice if an historic restoration could be done. http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/image-image.aspx?id=5640#i1

Here's another iteration:

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=1721

Keith P.
Nov 10, 2014, 6:14 PM

Heh, I never saw that pic before. I did not realize that it was a Canadian Pacific (presumably telegraph) office and a Bank of Nova Scotia branch in the 1960s. That actually looks very approachable to the street. I really dislike the way Chives is up off the street now. Don't know what is involved with that.

JET
Nov 10, 2014, 6:56 PM
Heh, I never saw that pic before. I did not realize that it was a Canadian Pacific (presumably telegraph) office and a Bank of Nova Scotia branch in the 1960s. That actually looks very approachable to the street. I really dislike the way Chives is up off the street now. Don't know what is involved with that.

wasn't Chives always up off the street? I remember going to some bars that were there in the mid-80's and it was up off the street level.

ns_kid
Nov 10, 2014, 7:25 PM

The Pacific Building housed the general offices of the Dominion Atlantic Railway, the CPR's Nova Scotia subsidiary, and served as the CPR's downtown sales office. I agree with JET that the plywood face on this building is a horror but I have no idea what shape the original facade is in. I am anxious to hear if the renovation is substantive or merely cosmetic.

(As a sidebar, the CNR had a downtown sales office too, on the corner of Barrington and George, adjacent to the former Birks Building and now a vacant lot.)

Keith P.
Nov 10, 2014, 8:19 PM
wasn't Chives always up off the street? I remember going to some bars that were there in the mid-80's and it was up off the street level.

It may be that the bank was up above street level as well. The photo is unclear on that point, only showing full-length drapes inside the windows. Which raises (sorry for the pun) the question of what is below the floor.

The Canadian Pacific logo lettering is quintessentially Canadian. Too bad it cannot return.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 10, 2014, 9:41 PM

By the way, there's a higher quality version of this image at the following link:

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/EastCoastPort/archives.asp?ID=2077

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 10, 2014, 10:21 PM
:cheers:
(As a sidebar, the CNR had a downtown sales office too, on the corner of Barrington and George, adjacent to the former Birks Building and now a vacant lot.)

Right you are! Here's a glimpse of it in the following pic, plus the link to the original photo at the archives:

http://i60.tinypic.com/29moshl.jpg

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=492

someone123
Nov 10, 2014, 10:34 PM
By the way, there's a higher quality version of this image at the following link:

Wow, what a difference between the original building and the present version. I've always kind of liked the Pacific Building but it used to be great. I wonder if the columns are still there and what the changes are that the cornice might be restored?

The curved brick building on the corner (Renaissance) would be a good candidate for an upper-floor addition like Barrington Espace that could tie in with the small empty lot in behind and bring it in line with building heights on the rest of the block.

That CN building shot is impressive too. I'm going to have to go through the archives again now that they has put up much higher resolution images.

JET
Nov 10, 2014, 10:59 PM

Thanks, looks like where Chives is located is where (mayor) Ron Wallace's optometry was located.

counterfactual
Nov 11, 2014, 4:19 AM

Except the Tramway. Don't forget the blasted ruin that is the Tramway.

counterfactual
Nov 11, 2014, 4:21 AM

When did the Paramount go out of business?

Was there ever any local movement to try to save the damn thing?

Or were all the activists and heritage people too busy arguing over viewplanes elsewhere to notice or care?

counterfactual
Nov 11, 2014, 4:25 AM

How the heck do the archives have such a high resolution picture from back then?! :)

What a beautiful building... love the canopy cover on "Rosedale Nurseries".

Perhaps we should experiment with a street canopy like this on Barrington:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10297215

(via Granada, Spain) :D

Keith P.
Nov 11, 2014, 1:32 PM
How the heck do the archives have such a high resolution picture from back then?! :)

What a beautiful building... love the canopy cover on "Rosedale Nurseries".

Perhaps we should experiment with a street canopy like this on Barrington:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10297215

(via Granada, Spain) :D

I don't think they get much snow in that part of Spain.

Canvas awnings used to be a staple of businesses downtown. Crank them out, crank them in. I don't know when they went out of fashion.

The Paramount closed late 80s/early 90s. I remember going to movies there in the '80s. They had split it into two theaters by then and it was nowhere near as impressive as what it once was.

Drybrain
Nov 11, 2014, 2:07 PM
Except the Tramway. Don't forget the blasted ruin that is the Tramway.

Yeah, sigh. That was a real step backwards. Still, at least it's occupied and stuff. Since Pogue Fado shut down, I think the only occupant of the Green Lantern is that makeshift-looking board games place. I feel like the Green Lantern is in such a state of obvious shabbiness that it's guts are probably as worn out as the exterior—it's probably full of old wiring, and might even be a fire hazard. Given that it's directly attached to its two neighbours, I always get a bit worried there's the potential for a destructive super-conflagration like the one that engulfed the townhouses on Cornwallis Park, or like Toronto's Queen West fire (http://torontoist.com/2008/02/massive_fire_hi/) in 2008.

I think it's become the street's number-one problem, now that the NFB is on the road to recovery. The owner has complained to the Herald that he can't renovate it because he can't "pin down" the required building codes from the city, and his Hurricane Juan insurance money hasn't come in. Given that it's been a decade since Juan, and everyone else on the street seems to be reno-ing their properties, I'm not sure how valid all that is anymore. Maybe, but, seems like he's just dragging his feet for some reason known only to him.

counterfactual
Nov 11, 2014, 8:36 PM
Yeah, sigh. That was a real step backwards. Still, at least it's occupied and stuff. Since Pogue Fado shut down, I think the only occupant of the Green Lantern is that makeshift-looking board games place. I feel like the Green Lantern is in such a state of obvious shabbiness that it's guts are probably as worn out as the exterior—it's probably full of old wiring, and might even be a fire hazard. Given that it's directly attached to its two neighbours, I always get a bit worried there's the potential for a destructive super-conflagration like the one that engulfed the townhouses on Cornwallis Park, or like Toronto's Queen West fire (http://torontoist.com/2008/02/massive_fire_hi/) in 2008.

I think it's become the street's number-one problem, now that the NFB is on the road to recovery. The owner has complained to the Herald that he can't renovate it because he can't "pin down" the required building codes from the city, and his Hurricane Juan insurance money hasn't come in. Given that it's been a decade since Juan, and everyone else on the street seems to be reno-ing their properties, I'm not sure how valid all that is anymore. Maybe, but, seems like he's just dragging his feet for some reason known only to him.

Yeah those excuses sound like baloney. Who's the owner, again?

counterfactual
Nov 11, 2014, 8:39 PM
I don't think they get much snow in that part of Spain.

Canvas awnings used to be a staple of businesses downtown. Crank them out, crank them in. I don't know when they went out of fashion.

The Paramount closed late 80s/early 90s. I remember going to movies there in the '80s. They had split it into two theaters by then and it was nowhere near as impressive as what it once was.

Right, "awnings". Thanks -- I knew I was using the wrong word!

I think they really add a classy touch; and also provide some shade if you want to throw down a spare table and chairs or two on the sidewalk...

One of the things I liked about NYC is that awnings are still used all over the city. I liked the sense of walking down the street in the early morning, and vendors are rolling up the metal gates on their biz, and cranking open the awnings.

Aya_Akai
Nov 12, 2014, 5:45 AM

They more than likely have the negatives of these original photographs in the archives as well. Putting a negative through a high enough resolution negative scanner can give you images with more detail and resolution than digital cameras. I had one (which unfortunately kicked the bucket, as it was second-hand) that could take 4x5 and 8x10 negs and would output better than a 30 megapixel digital camera. Most negative scanners, as long as the original is in good shape, can give you results comparable or better than most consumer grade digital cameras.

ns_kid
Nov 12, 2014, 6:56 PM
When did the Paramount go out of business?

Was there ever any local movement to try to save the damn thing?

Or were all the activists and heritage people too busy arguing over viewplanes elsewhere to notice or care?

According to the website Cinema Treasures, the Paramount closed on October 27, 1988, the day before the new Park Lane cinemas opened. Before it was twinned, sometime in the mid-70s, it held almost 1200 people. The old Capitol Theatre, just two blocks away, closed circa 1974, held over 2100 for both live performance and cinema. No surviving auditorium in town comes close. (The Cohn holds just over 1000; Neptune less than 500.)

Think about that in the context of downtown viability: 3300 entertainment seats removed from Barrington Street within the span of 14 years.

I don't recall much opposition to the closure of either facilitiy, certainly not the Paramount. I think people accepted the myth that large auditoriums were uneconomic and an anachronism. Other cities have proved how wrong that was.

Of course there are many people who bemoan the fact the city has no midsize performance venue (between the Cohn and the 10,000 seat Scotiabank Centre); building one from scratch today would likely be a $50-$75 million proposition.

JET
Nov 12, 2014, 8:27 PM
Scotia Square theatre was also a fairly good sized movie theatre, 724 seats.

JET
Nov 12, 2014, 8:31 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdb466/14664565555/
Orheus Theatre on Barrington, circa 1941, where was it?

Keith P.
Nov 12, 2014, 10:00 PM
Of course there are many people who bemoan the fact the city has no midsize performance venue (between the Cohn and the 10,000 seat Scotiabank Centre); building one from scratch today would likely be a $50-$75 million proposition.

Similar pricetag as our palatial library. Imagine if we had built an affordable library with similar capacity, we would be halfway to a proper large performing arts auditorium facility.

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 13, 2014, 5:46 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdb466/14664565555/
Orheus Theatre on Barrington, circa 1941, where was it?

Right next door to the Green Lantern! ...or to state it more simply, the site later occupied by the Paramount :)

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/EastCoastPort/archives.asp?ID=297

http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/NSIS/archives.asp?ID=1720

counterfactual
Nov 13, 2014, 6:45 AM
According to the website Cinema Treasures, the Paramount closed on October 27, 1988, the day before the new Park Lane cinemas opened. Before it was twinned, sometime in the mid-70s, it held almost 1200 people. The old Capitol Theatre, just two blocks away, closed circa 1974, held over 2100 for both live performance and cinema. No surviving auditorium in town comes close. (The Cohn holds just over 1000; Neptune less than 500.)

Think about that in the context of downtown viability: 3300 entertainment seats removed from Barrington Street within the span of 14 years.

I don't recall much opposition to the closure of either facilitiy, certainly not the Paramount. I think people accepted the myth that large auditoriums were uneconomic and an anachronism. Other cities have proved how wrong that was.

Thanks for the great insights, ns_kid. Very helpful.

But also, as usual, depressing. When I saw the numbers you were citing for capacity, I immediately thought of Halifax's lack of a proper performing arts centre. I mean, what an astounding, colossal, depressing, waste, of *both* theatres.

Again, where were our great Heritage Trust fighters? When heritage is at stake, where were those clowns? Off opposing a three storey development proposal somewhere, because it cut two inches into a viewplane.

counterfactual
Nov 13, 2014, 6:46 AM
They more than likely have the negatives of these original photographs in the archives as well. Putting a negative through a high enough resolution negative scanner can give you images with more detail and resolution than digital cameras. I had one (which unfortunately kicked the bucket, as it was second-hand) that could take 4x5 and 8x10 negs and would output better than a 30 megapixel digital camera. Most negative scanners, as long as the original is in good shape, can give you results comparable or better than most consumer grade digital cameras.

Thanks for the info! Very interesting stuff.

counterfactual
Nov 13, 2014, 7:33 AM
One way to feel better about Halifax's terrible losses of the Paramount and Capitol Theaters is to look at the *countless* theatres that have been lost in Toronto!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/02/the_lost_movie_theatres_of_toronto/

Ugh... Brutal.

Drybrain
Nov 13, 2014, 2:06 PM
One way to feel better about Halifax's terrible losses of the Paramount and Capitol Theaters is to look at the *countless* theatres that have been lost in Toronto!

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/02/the_lost_movie_theatres_of_toronto/

Ugh... Brutal.

Yeah, that sucks. They still do have a bunch of neighbourhood cinemas though, which forms a really nice network of indie cinemas across the inner city—Revue, Royal, Kingsway, Bloor, Eglinton Grand, Gerrard Cinema, etc. It's one of the odd quirks of the city that they seem to have maintained a bunch, even though a lot were lost. They're usually not too architecturally impressive, but they do the job.

We would've had the Vogue, but the building was converted. The Oxford has the potential to be a great "nabe" cinema, but of course it's currently a bit too corporate.

ns_kid
Nov 13, 2014, 5:11 PM
Scotia Square theatre was also a fairly good sized movie theatre, 724 seats.

In fact the Scotia Square cinema was a very fine auditorium, almost certainly one of the last major single-screen theatres built in Canada. It had great acoustics, a large screen with 70mm projection, and comfortable seating. It believe it was meant as a replacement for the Capitol and I was disappointed when it closed. I remember going to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" there, maybe the 1980 re-release. It looked and sounded great. Another loss for Barrington Street.

JET
Nov 14, 2014, 3:06 PM
1840 Bell Rd
The CBC TV folks have left the building and will be at Chebucto Road. What will happen with 1840 Bell Rd?

ns_kid
Nov 14, 2014, 6:08 PM
1840 Bell Rd
The CBC TV folks have left the building and will be at Chebucto Road. What will happen with 1840 Bell Rd?

It will likely sit vacant for the foreseeable future. CBC had originally proposed to renovate and expand the building before deciding to make the move to Chebucto Road. As far as I can tell from provincial property records it has not been sold and I don't believe the CBC has made any statements about demolishing or repurposing the building. If you're interested in making them an offer, it's assessed at $4.2 million.

Anyone with other information?

JET
Nov 14, 2014, 6:23 PM
since it's on "common land', the options are probably limited.

Keith P.
Nov 14, 2014, 8:10 PM
I would be shocked if it doesn't fall into the hands of the QEII.

visualman57
Nov 14, 2014, 11:30 PM
I would be shocked if it doesn't fall into the hands of the QEII.

here is an idea...use it to open a branch of the Halifax Central Library, when it becomes too congested to serve the mass of people dancing with joy at having a world class facility here in little old Halifax. That should give dear old KP more foolishness to bitch about.

mcmcclassic
Nov 15, 2014, 3:40 AM
here is an idea...use it to open a branch of the Halifax Central Library, when it becomes too congested to serve the mass of people dancing with joy at having a world class facility here in little old Halifax. That should give dear old KP more foolishness to bitch about.

:youmad:

Keith makes many good points about the new library but that is an issue for another thread....

Honestly I would be alright with this building/land going to the QEII. This area is best suited for government/institutional buildings I think.

Spire
Nov 16, 2014, 6:46 AM
1840 Bell Rd

Actually, only the news department has left. The television production studio (22 Minutes) is still in use until next April, after which CBC will vacate the building fully. As I've said before, a real shame to be losing the studio, but that's for another discussion...

Dmajackson
Nov 17, 2014, 5:20 PM
Partners Global has a listing up for 2456 Agricola. They apparently have an approved development plan for four 2-bdr apartments and basement commercial space. The site as is has two units and is quite run-down. It is on the west side between West & Charles.

Partners Global Listing (http://www.partnersglobal.com/property/2456-agricola-street-halifax/#property_map)

hokus83
Nov 17, 2014, 6:05 PM
Partners Global has a listing up for 2456 Agricola. They apparently have an approved development plan for four 2-bdr apartments and basement commercial space. The site as is has two units and is quite run-down. It is on the west side between West & Charles.

Partners Global Listing (http://www.partnersglobal.com/property/2456-agricola-street-halifax/#property_map)

Is this where obsolete records is

HalifaxRetales
Nov 18, 2014, 1:50 PM
Anyone know what's up at 2019 Gottingen (was Raceway Auto)
they moved out about 6 weeks ago and this week a dumpster showed up and they are gutting it

JET
Nov 18, 2014, 2:38 PM
they moved out about 6 weeks ago and this week a dumpster showed up and they are gutting it

Is that between Propellor and the Marquee?

curnhalio
Nov 18, 2014, 2:40 PM
Is that between Propellor and the Marquee?

Yes sir, two doors up from Staples. A prime spot for a development if ever there was one.

Colin May
Nov 18, 2014, 3:45 PM
Yes sir, two doors up from Staples. A prime spot for a development if ever there was one.
It abuts the property on Portland Place which went up in flames a few months ago. Add the Marquee and a developer has a nice large project.
Add the vacant property on the corner of Brunswick and Cogswell and it is an even larger project.

coolmillion
Nov 18, 2014, 6:27 PM
So funny... I was at a coffee shop last week and there were 3 developers (I think) meeting at the table next to me. I was working away on my laptop but I couldn't help but overhead snippets of their conversation and I think they may have discussed the Raceway property. Could also be a case of broken telephone...

HalifaxRetales
Nov 18, 2014, 6:46 PM
It's great piece of property, even as it it could make a cool retail/hospitality conversion

kph06
Nov 18, 2014, 7:39 PM
So funny... I was at a coffee shop last week and there were 3 developers (I think) meeting at the table next to me. I was working away on my laptop but I couldn't help but overhead snippets of their conversation and I think they may have discussed the Raceway property. Could also be a case of broken telephone...

I am pretty sure the owner of Raceway and the building razed by the fire are the same. Big block of land.

JET
Nov 18, 2014, 8:14 PM
I am pretty sure the owner of Raceway and the building razed by the fire are the same. Big block of land.

too bad the Marquee/Seahorse is there.

JET
Nov 18, 2014, 8:15 PM
does anyone know what's up with 2157 Gottingen. Looks like they are gutting the inside and increasing the height on the second floor by a little.

ns_kid
Nov 19, 2014, 10:29 AM
Wow, what a difference between the original building and the present version. I've always kind of liked the Pacific Building but it used to be great. I wonder if the columns are still there and what the changes are that the cornice might be restored?

AllNovaScotia reports today that owner Dongdu International is working to restore the white terracotta tiles on the upper floors of the Pacific Building. This is good news. If you've examined the building recently you'll know that many of the tiles are cracked and chipped. However there's no direct reference to the horrid plywood cladding on the ground floor, covering what was once an impressive columned facade. The company did repaint the rear of the building (on Granville Street) this summer, replacing the flaking ugly grey with a pleasing cream colour.

Without knowing the shape of what's under the plywood it's hard to offer much of an opinion. But surely the owner can do better than to maintain that sad facade.

Project manager Bill Hunt is quoted as saying that, with all the work on Barrington these days, Dongdu wants to make sure the century-old Pacific Building stands out.

JET
Nov 19, 2014, 1:15 PM
"Dongdu wants to make sure the century-old Pacific Building stands out. " It does do that, but not in a good way. A good ground floor facade will draw the eyes up to the higher floors. I just want to pass by this building, not at all inviting.

ns_kid
Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 AM

According to a piece in today's AllNovaScotia, 2019 Gottingen has been leased by Montreal's de la Plante family who plan to open a climbing gym modelled on their original Allez Up gym in Montreal.

Their website (http://allezup.com/en/) describes Allez Up as an "elite rock climbing gym in the heart of Montreal for passionate climbers as well as for those who are just starting out."

While putting a climbing gym in a Gottingen Street garage may seem like an unconventional approach, the Montreal facility, which has been in business 18 years, is in an old sugar silo and features a 125 foot outdoor climbing wall. The Halifax climbing wall won't be as tall, under 20 feet, so harnesses won't be needed.

The ANS piece quotes GM Genevieve de la Plant as saying Halifax is "an amazing and vibrant city" with "a culture of climbing".

Ed and Ezra Edelstein have been hired to manage the renovation and the gym is expected to open by early spring 2015.

This is certainly an interesting addition to that neighbourhood.

ns_kid
Nov 25, 2014, 10:52 AM
AllNovaScotia is reporting today that Bell Aliant is prepared to announce as early as Thursday that it will vacate the Maritime Centre. ANS reporter Janet Whitman says the company's head office will relocate to the former Blackberry Building in Bedford, a coup for Armour Group.

The article notes that Bell occupies other downtown space, including at Scotia Square, but doesn't speculate on the future of those leases.

Needless to say, another loss of hundreds of jobs from the core will do nothing to advance the effort to revitalize downtown. It also does no favours for Maritime Centre owner Fortis, which reportedly had been looking for a buyer for the complex.

Of course the telecom company, originally Maritime Tel & Tel, was the original major tenant at Maritime Centre.

Hali87
Nov 25, 2014, 2:34 PM
According to a piece in today's AllNovaScotia, 2019 Gottingen has been leased by Montreal's de la Plante family who plan to open a climbing gym modelled on their original Allez Up gym in Montreal.

Their website (http://allezup.com/en/) describes Allez Up as an "elite rock climbing gym in the heart of Montreal for passionate climbers as well as for those who are just starting out."

While putting a climbing gym in a Gottingen Street garage may seem like an unconventional approach, the Montreal facility, which has been in business 18 years, is in an old sugar silo and features a 125 foot outdoor climbing wall. The Halifax climbing wall won't be as tall, under 20 feet, so harnesses won't be needed.

The ANS piece quotes GM Genevieve de la Plant as saying Halifax is "an amazing and vibrant city" with "a culture of climbing".

Ed and Ezra Edelstein have been hired to manage the renovation and the gym is expected to open by early spring 2015.

This is certainly an interesting addition to that neighbourhood.

I heard about this the other day and I'm excited for it. A few of my friends have been to Allez Up in Mtl and I've heard it's great (too bad something similar couldn't be done with the grain elevator here, but I guess it's still operational). Currently the only bouldering (harness-free climbing) gym in Halifax is at Dalplex, and it's not really available to non-students/non-members. There's another climbing gym out in Burnside, but well, it's out in Burnside.

hokus83
Nov 25, 2014, 9:09 PM
I'd rather see this site developed than a 20 foot rock wall to climb

Hali87
Nov 25, 2014, 10:33 PM
I'd rather see this site developed than a 20 foot rock wall to climb

Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

JET
Nov 26, 2014, 1:48 PM
Then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree! Hopefully they will have a facade that doesn't look like a garage.

counterfactual
Nov 27, 2014, 3:51 AM
AllNovaScotia is reporting today that Bell Aliant is prepared to announce as early as Thursday that it will vacate the Maritime Centre. ANS reporter Janet Whitman says the company's head office will relocate to the former Blackberry Building in Bedford, a coup for Armour Group.

The article notes that Bell occupies other downtown space, including at Scotia Square, but doesn't speculate on the future of those leases.

Needless to say, another loss of hundreds of jobs from the core will do nothing to advance the effort to revitalize downtown. It also does no favours for Maritime Centre owner Fortis, which reportedly had been looking for a buyer for the complex.

Of course the telecom company, originally Maritime Tel & Tel, was the original major tenant at Maritime Centre.

Depressing. And screw Armour Group, sucking more jobs from downtown. They've lured CRA from downtown, and now Bell.

Seriously, time to restrict any further office development in the suburbs and business parks. Re-zone all the land surrounding existing structures as land bank "green belting" (HRM staff's lame Orwellian name for a greenbelt).

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

JET
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM
A public open house will be held on Monday December 1, 2014 6 pm in the Alderney Landing Market, located at 2 Ochterloney Street in Dartmouth, to discuss the ongoing process that will lead to changes to the Downtown Dartmouth Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS). The purpose of the open house is for planning staff to provide an overview of work that has taken place since a public meeting held on January 20, 2014, and to obtain community feedback....
http://www.halifax.ca/planning/applications/Case18783Details.php

JET
Nov 27, 2014, 5:13 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/featuredcontent/the-10-tallest-buildings-that-were-never-finished/ar-BBfXK0A

The 10 Tallest Buildings That Were Never Finished

coolmillion
Nov 27, 2014, 5:14 PM
Hopefully they will have a facade that doesn't look like a garage.

It looks like they're already working on changing it. Construction has started.

HalifaxRetales
Nov 27, 2014, 5:17 PM
It looks like they're already working on changing it. Construction has started.

Yes, framing went up in front a couple of the bay door yesterday

bluenoser
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM
Seriously, time to restrict any further office development in the suburbs and business parks.

Armour Group unveils $200M-plan to redevelop former BlackBerry property in Bedford

...Halifax-based Armour said construction of a second building at the campus is getting away now. The seven-storey structure, which will have 120,000 square feet, is slated to be finished by the end of 2015.

The developer said EON Square will eventually have six or seven new office buildings at the site, as well as a hotel, restaurant and retail space. The project will be the largest campus of its kind east of Toronto, Armour said.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1253762-armour-group-unveils-200m-plan-to-redevelop-former-blackberry-property-in-bedford

I don't know if this should go in 'Parks of West Bedford' or a new thread or what. I do remember this more or less being the plan for the area right from when the Blackberry building went in.

Dmajackson
Nov 27, 2014, 9:42 PM
Please direct all future discussion on EON Square to its dedicated thread;

[Bedford] EON Square | U/C (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214488)

hokus83
Nov 28, 2014, 1:16 AM
Gross, I would hate to work in this environment. I have a masters degree in Information Technology with many certifications and there is no way in hell I would chose to work in this location. I know many of my colleagues feel the same way. I would rather clean dishes downtown for a living than work in a place like "Eon Squar"

counterfactual
Nov 28, 2014, 1:32 AM
Armour Group unveils $200M-plan to redevelop former BlackBerry property in Bedford

...Halifax-based Armour said construction of a second building at the campus is getting away now. The seven-storey structure, which will have 120,000 square feet, is slated to be finished by the end of 2015.

The developer said EON Square will eventually have six or seven new office buildings at the site, as well as a hotel, restaurant and retail space. The project will be the largest campus of its kind east of Toronto, Armour said.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1253762-armour-group-unveils-200m-plan-to-redevelop-former-blackberry-property-in-bedford

I don't know if this should go in 'Parks of West Bedford' or a new thread or what. I do remember this more or less being the plan for the area right from when the Blackberry building went in.

Sigh. Is anyone in HRM planning looking at this? How about downtown office vacancy rates? How about fighting to have *some* of these new jobs being placed downtown, rather than out in Bedford?

I understand why this happened under Peter Kelly-- because he didn't really like Halifax and ran it like he was mayor of Bedford.

But now, there are no excuses. Halifax: always asleep at the switch.

ns_kid
Nov 28, 2014, 9:46 AM
On the plus side, Bell Aliant is saying it will not be moving its head office from the Maritime Centre. Dan McKeen, the company's new CEO, said Bell will take over 16,000 square feet of the former Blackberry data centre, investing $7 million in upgrades. McKeen said the move was necessary because they were out of room at the old North Street data centre.

McKeen said there are no plans to move the 400 head office workers from Maritime Centre to Bedford, contrary to the earlier AllNovaScotia report. ANS, never ones to apologize for their faulty guesswork --er, reporting -- sniffed that "it was understood" the head office might move, adding that unnamed "industry insiders...wouldn't be surprised" if the Bell jobs move as leases expire.

Keith P.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:12 PM
I wonder exactly what is moving from the North St building and how much it would cost. I know that the old facility has some very expensive provisions to keep it online in the event of a disaster - redundancies not only in terms of power but in routing of connections to the outside world, etc. Plus it is in a heavily-built structure that could absorb a significant weather event or blast wave. It is apparently also sited and engineered to be in a location that is not prone to flooding. The block of North St where it is located is a mess but that facility is not going anywhere.

hokus83
Dec 18, 2014, 6:21 PM
This might be nothing but I noticed a building on Portland st has a lot of renderings for developments for Dartmouth Cove in its windows, some of them looked new to me, some were of what I've seen before of conceptual plans. I have noticed a few of the buildings being demolished in the area.

Also noticed today a lot of work is being done to the interior of the United Books store

kph06
Dec 18, 2014, 6:24 PM
This might be nothing but I noticed a building on Portland st has a lot of renderings for developments for Dartmouth Cove in its windows, some of them looked new to me, some were of what I've seen before of conceptual plans. I have noticed a few of the buildings being demolished in the area.

Also noticed today a lot of work is being done to the interior of the United Books store

I think that might be the office of Connor Architects and Planners Limited (CAP) (http://cap.ns.ca/index.asp)

hokus83
Dec 18, 2014, 6:34 PM
I think that might be the office of Connor Architects and Planners Limited (CAP) (http://cap.ns.ca/index.asp)

ah yes, looks like all the bloomfield stuff is what I thought was for Dartmouth Cove because of the close proximity to it. Seems like a odd thing to showcase in windows for an unrelated area. Only caught my attention on the bus, I hardly ever head that way and thought it was something exciting for the neighbourhood.

halifaxboyns
Dec 18, 2014, 7:07 PM
I wonder exactly what is moving from the North St building and how much it would cost. I know that the old facility has some very expensive provisions to keep it online in the event of a disaster - redundancies not only in terms of power but in routing of connections to the outside world, etc. Plus it is in a heavily-built structure that could absorb a significant weather event or blast wave. It is apparently also sited and engineered to be in a location that is not prone to flooding. The block of North St where it is located is a mess but that facility is not going anywhere.

Can Bell move much of the stuff out of North street? That's a central office - major switching point for the peninsula? Wouldn't it be quite cost prohibitive to move all that equipment or am I mis-reading the conversation here? I am in vacation mode and counting down the hours to my flight home - so that's quite possible. :)

Has there been any discussion about Bell Aliant moving from the Scotia Square customer service centre? I remember when I took some time off from my degree working in there - the kitchen area (which jets out at the corner of Barrington/Duke) has quite the view. I used to love working some of the night shifts during the parade of lights and taking my lunch to watch the parade and people.

Keith P.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:07 PM
Can Bell move much of the stuff out of North street? That's a central office - major switching point for the peninsula? Wouldn't it be quite cost prohibitive to move all that equipment or am I mis-reading the conversation here? I am in vacation mode and counting down the hours to my flight home - so that's quite possible. :)

Has there been any discussion about Bell Aliant moving from the Scotia Square customer service centre? I remember when I took some time off from my degree working in there - the kitchen area (which jets out at the corner of Barrington/Duke) has quite the view. I used to love working some of the night shifts during the parade of lights and taking my lunch to watch the parade and people.

I was referring to their data center/data storage operation there. I understand that location also houses some or most of their main telephone switching equipment. I don't think that is going anywhere.

someone123
Dec 20, 2014, 6:49 PM
Before and after for the little "Cleveland Industries" building at 2100 Oxford. I remember going past this on the bus:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2uBlvuCQAE4gE6.jpg:large
Source (https://twitter.com/haligoniaphotos/status/534663466527645697/photo/1)

kph06
Dec 22, 2014, 4:03 PM
Continued work at the old Bay:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7476/15460750243_9413ce07d0_b.jpg

DigitalNinja
Dec 22, 2014, 9:53 PM
Any idea what tenants are going into the new building going up?

Dmajackson
Jan 14, 2015, 8:38 PM
The new owners of the former Rockingham Community Centre have proposed to amend the Halifax LUB to allow for buildings up to 50' as-of-right on the Bedford Highway. The current rules allow for 35' as-of-right and excess height if a development agreement is approved.

There will be Public Information Meeting held on February 4th at the Rockingham United Chruch on Flamingo Drive.

Since this is a general amendment and not site-specific there are no renderings or details available about the proposed redevelopment of the community centre.

Case 19533 Details (http://www.halifax.ca/planning/applications/Case19533Details.php)

Empire
Jan 16, 2015, 6:51 PM
Halifax south of downtown.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_4638.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_4638.jpg.html)
Source: Empire

Empire
Jan 17, 2015, 8:47 PM
Halifax downtown from Citadel Hill:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6069_zpsf0bd2558.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6069_zpsf0bd2558.jpg.html)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6068_zps03dde149.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6068_zps03dde149.jpg.html)

Looking NE
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6073_zpsde8758a1.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6073_zpsde8758a1.jpg.html)

Looking South...New Library in center of photo.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q7/empire1_2007/IMG_6078_zps6161f8f8.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/empire1_2007/media/IMG_6078_zps6161f8f8.jpg.html)
Source: Empire

someone123
Jan 17, 2015, 9:01 PM
Thanks for the photos.

The buildings by Rainnie Drive look pretty bland, but the new one going up is supposed to have some coloured glass panels reminiscent of the Vic Suites. Hopefully it'll make this view a bit more interesting.

Keith P.
Jan 17, 2015, 9:39 PM
The library blocks the view of the harbor from the Citadel! Where was STV when this was proposed?!? :rant:

Colin May
Jan 18, 2015, 1:31 AM
The library blocks the view of the harbor from the Citadel! Where was STV when this was proposed?!? :rant:

It meets the requirements of the view plane from Citadel Hill. The top floor is deliberately set at the angle of the viewplane, it could not have been flush with the lower levels.

Keith P.
Jan 18, 2015, 2:30 PM
It meets the requirements of the view plane from Citadel Hill. The top floor is deliberately set at the angle of the viewplane, it could not have been flush with the lower levels.

The STV bunch have never let compliance with view planes stop their criticism of other developments.

Empire
Jan 18, 2015, 2:30 PM
Thanks for the photos.

The buildings by Rainnie Drive look pretty bland, but the new one going up is supposed to have some coloured glass panels reminiscent of the Vic Suites. Hopefully it'll make this view a bit more interesting.

This area is quite bland. Starting on Barrington with Scotia Sq., Trade Mart, the apartments on Market and Brunswick, Red Cross, Police Station and now this group. 5445 Rannie Dr. will help spruce it up as will the Trinity development if it ever starts.

ILoveHalifax
Jan 18, 2015, 2:50 PM
This area is quite bland. Starting on Barrington with Scotia Sq., Trade Mart, the apartments on Market and Brunswick, Red Cross, Police Station and now this group. 5445 Rannie Dr. will help spruce it up as will the Trinity development if it ever starts.

I looked at the pic and was very impressed with the grey brick and how the apartment building is all grey and each hotel an accent of grey.
I like grey.