PDA

View Full Version : General Updates and News

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118

halifaxboyns
Jul 29, 2010, 10:15 PM
Great points, I would go so far as to say add affordable housing residential above...the Staples example would have been perfect for 8 storeys of income assisted and regular housing.

Well that comes back to the conversation I had with the area councillor about my personal vision for the area - I thought that having some income adjusted apartments in that location and up to Cornwallis along the street would be great. Then the more market driven (non subsidized) condo units could run the rest of the street.

She thought it was a pretty interesting idea since there seemed to be support for redeveloping the area.

Canadian_Bacon
Jul 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
I really like how that home depot is set up on the street like that. Big box and other buildings in Halifax should be set up like that along the streets. Pedestrian traffic is just as important as vehicle traffic, and the more pedestrians walking around instead of cars in the downtown, the better.

halifaxboyns
Jul 29, 2010, 11:13 PM
I really like how that home depot is set up on the street like that. Big box and other buildings in Halifax should be set up like that along the streets. Pedestrian traffic is just as important as vehicle traffic, and the more pedestrians walking around instead of cars in the downtown, the better.

I thought it was great; and apparently it wasn't a huge fight during the permit process. From what I understand; it was a fight leading up to the application though; as the applicants did a number of pre-applications with city staff.

They didn't want to follow the area redevelopment plan; which talks about pedestrian oriented buildings in the area. So staff told them up front; don't bother applying if you aren't going to do what the ARP tells them - because they wouldn't waste their time in supporting it. Plus; the community was behind administration's position - so I guess they figured if administration was not prepared to give an approval and it would end up at appeal (with the community on the side of administration) their chances of getting a refusal overturned were pretty small. The councillor for the area was also involved and was behind administration too.

Empire
Jul 30, 2010, 11:02 AM
It`s about time this reality received some press. The Dexter Gov. should really work this study to pour money into Halifax. More tourists in Halifax will mean spillover for the region. More busineess and industry in Halifax will mean more people in rural areas will be able to continue to live there by providing support for business and industry or by having their tax burden eased by HFX tax$$$.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1194389.html

Economy hinges on Halifax, study says
Prof has 24 ideas to spark N.S. prosperity
By JEFFREY SIMPSON Provincial Reporter and The Canadian Press
Fri, Jul 30 - 4:53 AM

DONALD SAVOIE

The economic success of Nova Scotia, and the other Maritime provinces, hinges largely on the health and prosperity of Halifax, a new study says.

Donald Savoie, who submitted his report on Nova Scotia’s economic development efforts to Premier Darrell Dexter on Thursday, is recommending the province capitalize to a greater extent on Halifax’s potential to spur wider growth and investment in the region.

"It’s a gem of a city, it’s a world-class city," said Savoie, a professor of public administration at the University of Moncton.

Savoie cited several attributes of the capital that could be further promoted to attract more business, including its natural geographic location next to the ocean, top-tier schools and research facilities such as Dalhousie University, and thriving firms like Ocean Nutrition.

"Success breeds success, and Halifax has spawned a fair number of success stories," Savoie said.

But it will be difficult for rural areas to prosper without Halifax leading the way, he said.

"There are people who point to Halifax to explain their economic woes," he said.

"Rural Nova Scotia needs a strong Halifax."

Savoie’s 45-page report, titled Invest More, Innovate More, Trade More, Learn More: The Way Ahead for Nova Scotia, lists 24 recommendations that include setting up a $50-million venture capital fund and cutting some corporate taxes.

Developing human resources through greater education and training — whether through adult learning, upgrading skills or stay-in-school programs — is at the top of the list, Savoie said.

"You can’t get it wrong if you go there," he said.

"Economic development is people."

But the province also needs to streamline its efforts to promote economic development, tasking Nova Scotia Business Inc. with making first contact with new firms from other areas and designating Innovacorp as the body dealing with all venture capital matters.

"There’s an awful lot of people running around doing economic development in Nova Scotia," Savoie said.

"We certainly don’t need more. They’re tripping over each other."

Savoie, who has written about regional development for 20 years, said Nova Scotia businesses need to invest more in research, and one way to do that would be to set up a venture capital fund with federal, provincial and private funds.

He said there’s a lack of venture capital in the Atlantic region, and small companies have a harder time finding startup cash than firms in Ontario, Quebec or the West do.

Savoie said Ottawa could provide $10 million to $20 million to help create a venture capital fund in the region, and the province should match that and then invite private partners to run the fund. He expects private venture capital investors would then match the public money.

"I’m saying they should go after the federal dollars . . . and it should be located in Halifax and it should have the freedom to invest wherever there are opportunities in Atlantic Canada," Savoie said.

Venture capitalists generally invest in small startup firms with the aim of helping them grow large enough to become profitable, publicly traded companies.

Savoie’s report also calls for the elimination of the province’s capital tax, which the Dexter government is already phasing out.

In addition, Savoie said, the province should increase tax credits for businesses that invest in themselves.

Dexter asked Savoie to come up with ideas on how the government could help the province’s private sector after an economic advisory report last November noted Nova Scotia’s dire financial situation.

Savoie acknowledged his proposals would cost the province more in tax revenues at a time when it is facing budget deficits. But he argued that the province must consider how much revenue a growing private sector could generate if it could invest more in its productivity.

Savoie also gave the government credit for trying to get the province’s financial house in order. He said Nova Scotia compares favourably to neighbouring provinces such as New Brunswick, which is facing a $750-million deficit and still unwisely planning to cut taxes.

"The Dexter government has made some courageous steps forward," Savoie said.

"Some tough decisions have been made."

Dexter commissioned the independent report at a cost of $85,000 and will now send it to his Council on the Economy for further study.

"There’s a lot to chew on in the Savoie report," the premier said.

"These are all things that we’ll be considering over the next couple months."

Liberal economic development critic Zach Churchill urged the province to immediately adopt some of Savoie’s recommendations, especially making its tax regime more competitive.

"We’ve been encouraging this government to reduce small business taxes," Churchill said.

"We need to make sure we have a system that supports small business owners and entrepreneurs."

Churchill also said a high HST and personal income taxes are holding the province back.

( jsimpson@herald.ca)

‘Rural Nova Scotia needs a strong Halifax.’

fenwick16
Jul 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
I just posted the same article in the Economic Scorecard thread. It sounds like a well thought out piece.

Jstaleness
Jul 31, 2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/webcam/webcam-lrg.html

Does anyone know the name and purpose of the building in the background. Just caught my eye when I was viewing this webcam. I only know one person that lives in Edmonton and can't get ahold of him.

fenwick16
Jul 31, 2010, 11:57 PM

Does anyone know the name and purpose of the building in the background. Just caught my eye when I was viewing this webcam. I only know one person that lives in Edmonton and can't get ahold of him.

If you are referring to the oddly shaped building (but very interesting) then I think it is the Art Gallery of Alberta - http://www.artknowledgenews.com/2010-02-02-21-54-33-the-art-gallery-of-alberta-creates-a-museum-of-national-significance.html . I have never been to Edmonton but had seen a picture of this building previously. Halifax needs buildings like this - unique. How would the Heritage Trust react to such a proposal? (maybe the new Central Library will be unique).

http://www.artknowledgenews.com/files2010feb/Art-Gallery-of-Alberta-Edmonton.jpg

Jstaleness
Aug 1, 2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks, That's the one. I really would love for Halifax to have something like this.

halifaxboyns
Aug 2, 2010, 8:12 AM

Oh the AGA! It's a really cool looking building and really is a great element to Churchill Square.

I'm going to meet some friends in Edmonton at the end of the month; I'll put that on my list of things to take pictures of while I'm there to give you a better idea of the buildings around. It's on the east side of Churchill square (which below it is the Churchill LRT station); which is the big cultural gathering spot. It's also got a wading pool for kids in the summer, which becomes an ice rink in the winter.

Jonovision
Aug 4, 2010, 4:04 PM
Council to push ahead with south-end land use bylaw changes

By PAT LEE

Staff Reporter

Regional council has agreed to fast-track land-use bylaw chang es for south-end Halifax, which has been “under siege" from the threat of infilling, says a council lor.

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) said it is crucial that five proposed bylaw chang es be put in place as soon as possible because there are only about a dozen lots left for poten tial development.

In June, Uteck tabled a pet ition with 67 signatures in sup port of the five changes.

“This is a race to see what’s going to happen with the rest of the south end," she told council Tuesday.

Residents are concerned that lots intended for single-family homes could be subdivided or normal street setbacks could be ignored in the area bounded by Oakland Road, Bellevue Avenue, Inglis Street and Beaufort Ave nue.

At a 2008 public meeting, residents pointed to a property near Young Avenue and Atlantic Street where a lot with one house was converted into a lot with four homes.

Another property that created concerns was at the corner of Beaufort Avenue and Regina Terrace. There, the traditional front-yard setback from the street was cut in half to squeeze in a new home.

Staff with Halifax Regional Municipality had recommended the planning proposals go through the HRM by Design process, but Uteck said that will take too long.

“It’s too late," she said.

The petition called for five amendments that restrict new right-of-ways, increase the mini mum lot size, increase the mini mum lot frontage, decrease lot coverage and ensure front yards meet the average size of other homes.

Community development director Paul Dunphy said the changes are possible.

“We’re not arguing strenuous ly against this," Dunphy said.

“But we don’t want to go into the south end and start a broad based engagement that looks at all the houses and all the regu­lations."

He said approving the five amendments doesn’t mean the HRM by Design process can’t still go ahead. It deals with broader planning, social and recreational issues in a neigh bourhood.

(plee@herald.ca)

Jonovision
Aug 4, 2010, 4:04 PM
Urban core: more at stake than two developments

By BERNARD SMITH

We may be losing the art of debate and replacing it with an aggressive imperative to win. If this is so, it is regrettable: De bate at least stands some chance of extracting the best from the disparate views. Surely we should aspire to reach the best.

A recent article in this news paper by Laura Penny compares the two current major invest ment options being contemplat ed for Halifax, the new civic library and the proposed con vention centre. In the article, the library is seen as a needed pub lic investment while the conven tion centre is seen as an inap propriate subsidization of en trepreneurial activity.

There are some interesting parallels between the two pro jects which have not been fully examined in Ms. Penny’s article. First, both of the issues are before us at this time due to the fact that previous generations did not build edifices that were sufficiently large or flexible.

They were built for what ap peared to be the reasonable needs of their time.

What those before us failed to do, however, was to allow for sufficient future adaptability.

Both of these existing facilities have been judged unable to be satisfactorily expanded. This generation faces the question of whether to invest further sub stantial funding into new facil ities as a result of not being able to modify existing structures.

There are more parallels to be examined. Going beyond the immediate issue of funding, we are faced with the possible re­placement of two public facil ities — one a learning centre, the second a large meeting space — both of which could be rendered obsolete by rapidly advancing technology and by changes in public demand or needs. Surely one lesson to be learned from this is to insist on maximum possible flexibility being built into new facilities.

Who can see ahead 30 years to the needs of the library and the convention centre in 2040, any more than they could see ahead to our present needs back when the original facilities were put in place? We should surely learn from past decisions and build in the potential to adapt and possibly to expand. There will almost inevitability be a future need in our society for large meeting spaces and for smaller meeting and research spaces, for isn’t that what these facilities really are?

How these facilities are to be financed is really another issue, which isn’t helped by bringing in the ghosts of past efforts at economic expansion. These are needed pieces of public infra structure which would normally be provided by government.

Shell-shocked by the very exam ples alluded to in the article, government is less anxious to develop and run major facilities, even though government can still borrow at lower cost than the private sector and is still expected to lead the way in many respects.

Government has been shocked by its inability to build well and operate economically, even if it can borrow well. A few more P3 fiascos may cause us to put government back into its historic delivery mode.

The P3 schools were surely mainly brought about by poor government tendering and con tract administration in the past.

This left us with some poorly constructed and designed facil ities, which, combined with a lack of adequate maintenance, resulted in the need to replace them. Had that been competent ly dealt with in the past, we might not have needed replace ment schools in the form of P3s in an effort to keep debt off the government balance sheet.

There are at least two other major gaps in our downtown streetscapes and a great deal more under-utilization to be considered in addition to the library and former Herald sites: the site of the much-debated “Twisted Sisters," which seems likely to remain vacant for some years to come, and the once again ignored Cogswell inter change. We must ask ourselves, as a society, why sites in our downtown remain undeveloped. A major potential building at the end of Granville Mall, own ed by Sobeys, has remained undeveloped, with all approvals in place for an immediate start, for the past 30 years. The Sobey empire can provide the needed funds to build with little more than the stroke of a pen. The reasons these lands remain vacant are the very reasons why our downtown struggles.

Somewhere between relative commercial taxation levels, the availability of subsidized land on the periphery, the effective ness and cost of transportation, and the changing needs of busi ness, lies a $10-per-square-foot, per year, cost differential be tween our downtown core and suburban commercial sites.

Until we, as a society, recognize and debate these issues, we will continue to have under-uti lization in our city centre and arguments about how and where to invest will continue.

In all probability, many of these fights about whether “to build or not to build" in our urban centre would not take place if the area was vibrant and successful. Developers would have more resources to devote to making their buildings in novative and attractive.

The underlying fact is that the city should deal with this disad vantage to its urban core.

Bernard Smith is manager of the Spring Garden Area Business Asso ciation.

someone123
Aug 5, 2010, 4:42 AM
The South End article is depressingly classic NIMBYism - we have our houses and the students should go live out in Clayton Park or something. Note how there's also no comment about the quality of new development, just complaints about how it might happen.

The South End is an inner-city neighbourhood in a growing metropolitan area. It makes no sense to preserve all of it as single family dwellings. Some areas like Inglis are also underdeveloped and much quieter than they should be. Adding more apartments and condos to the mix would be a very positive thing for the area.

fenwick16
Aug 5, 2010, 7:08 AM
Council to push ahead with south-end land use bylaw changes

By PAT LEE

Staff Reporter

Regional council has agreed to fast-track land-use bylaw chang es for south-end Halifax, which has been “under siege" from the threat of infilling, says a council lor.

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) said it is crucial that five proposed bylaw changes be put in place as soon as possible because there are only about a dozen lots left for poten tial development.

In June, Uteck tabled a petition with 67 signatures in support of the five changes.

“This is a race to see what’s going to happen with the rest of the south end," she told council Tuesday.

Residents are concerned that lots intended for single-family homes could be subdivided or normal street setbacks could be ignored in the area bounded by Oakland Road, Bellevue Avenue, Inglis Street and Beaufort Avenue.

At a 2008 public meeting, residents pointed to a property near Young Avenue and Atlantic Street where a lot with one house was converted into a lot with four homes.

Another property that created concerns was at the corner of Beaufort Avenue and Regina Terrace. There, the traditional front-yard setback from the street was cut in half to squeeze in a new home.

Staff with Halifax Regional Municipality had recommended the planning proposals go through the HRM by Design process, but Uteck said that will take too long.

“It’s too late," she said.

The petition called for five amendments that restrict new right-of-ways, increase the mini mum lot size, increase the mini mum lot frontage, decrease lot coverage and ensure front yards meet the average size of other homes.

Community development director Paul Dunphy said the changes are possible.

“We’re not arguing strenuously against this," Dunphy said.

“But we don’t want to go into the south end and start a broad based engagement that looks at all the houses and all the regu­lations."

He said approving the five amendments doesn’t mean the HRM by Design process can’t still go ahead. It deals with broader planning, social and recreational issues in a neigh bourhood.

(plee@herald.ca)

This like everything else in the city should be debated and the all possible ramifications looked at. Eventually this could extend throughout the South End - what effect will that have on a very large employer like Dalhousie University? I find Councillor Uteck is very heavy-handed, as when she stated that there should be no debate on a third harbour crossing (I am paraphrasing). Her desires should not become the desires of the entire municipality. We live in a democracy, so others have the right to express their opinions. Is she against a North West Arm crossing also? Maybe these things are required for the greater good of the municipality. Simply because the councillor lives in the South End, that doesn't mean that the South End should have priority over all other business.

Why are staff recommendations so seldom followed by regional council?

This really should be debated in council so that the municipality doesn't end up having more bylaws that stifle growth like the Citadel view planes bylaws have stifled economic growth.

Does Councillor Uteck know of possible changes being proposed under an expanded HRM by Design that she is trying to circumvent?

halifaxboyns
Aug 5, 2010, 4:09 PM
Not sure where to put this; but enjoy!

McCluskey, Blumenthal likely won't run again

By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Thu, Aug 5 - 5:30 AM

Editor's note: We are no longer accepting comments on this story.

Two veteran members of Halifax regional council said this week that the sun is slowly setting on their political careers.

Coun. Gloria McCluskey (Dart­mouth Centre) and Coun. Jerry Blumenthal (Halifax North End) told council Tuesday that they don’t see themselves running for re-election in 2012.

They made their remarks dur­ing a long and, at times, testy debate on the size of council.

McCluskey is a former Dart­mouth mayor first elected to regional council in October 2004. She’s been a popular and savvy council member who has ad­vocated tirelessly for her district.

Blumenthal was initially elect­ed in 1994 as an alderman for the former City of Halifax. He served for 10 years on council and then was re-elected in 2008 following a break the previous term.

McCluskey and Blumenthal are two of the older members of council. Each has served on several municipal boards and commissions and are known for wearing their hearts on their sleeve.

There are 23 members of re­gional council plus the mayor.

Council on Tuesday voted not to reduce the number of repre­sentatives, a decision that fol­lowed three attempts to pare the size of the group.

The politicians stuck with the 23-member team after voting against having 16, 18 and 20 members around the table. The Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board will ultimately decide how many are appropriate.

Aside from new faces occupy­ing council seats to be vacated by Blumenthal and McCluskey, others, including the mayor’s chair, could have different people in them in 2012.

If a councillor challenges May­or Peter Kelly in the next elec­tion, that person’s seat will need to be filled — regardless of the outcome of the mayoral race.

Should a challenger to Kelly emerge from outside regional council and that candidate is successful, the mayor’s seat will have a new occupant.

It’s early but Kelly has hinted he intends to run again next time. In 2011, he will mark 11 years as mayor and tie the late Ron Wallace as Halifax’s longest­serving mayor.

(from the Chronicle Herald)

All I can say is buh-bye! If they don't run again; you will finally be able to get things done in the North end of Halifax and maybe get that damn brightwood viewplane removed!

Jstaleness
Aug 5, 2010, 4:40 PM
I can't believe I'm asking this but I just couldn't figure out what Crane I was looking at. When coming in on the 103 just as the exit for St. Margaret's Bay Rd/Lakeside there is a crane directly straight ahead. It's not the bayers rd crane and I can't see it being the Trillium crane. Am I wrong? Would the Trillium be visable from out there?? Feeling really dumb but it didn't look red and white like the Trill.

bluenoser
Aug 5, 2010, 4:50 PM
How do you know it's not the Bayer's Rd. crane? That would be my guess, or else maybe some sort of condo building in Mount Royal.

Actually, you're also pointed at Russell Lake from that spot but that's a bit of a stretch.

Jstaleness
Aug 5, 2010, 4:55 PM
Does anyone else think that McCluskey would run for Mayor? Should she run for Mayor? I wasn't around much during her run with Dartmouth. How was she at the job then?

sdm
Aug 5, 2010, 5:24 PM
Does anyone else think that McCluskey would run for Mayor? Should she run for Mayor? I wasn't around much during her run with Dartmouth. How was she at the job then?

Her job in dartmouth as mayor was exceptional in many peoples eyes.

She be the hurricane hazzel of Atlantic Canada, as they are both close in age i believe.

that said, i doubt she will run for mayor.

Dmajackson
Aug 5, 2010, 5:37 PM
I can't believe I'm asking this but I just couldn't figure out what Crane I was looking at. When coming in on the 103 just as the exit for St. Margaret's Bay Rd/Lakeside there is a crane directly straight ahead. It's not the bayers rd crane and I can't see it being the Trillium crane. Am I wrong? Would the Trillium be visable from out there?? Feeling really dumb but it didn't look red and white like the Trill.

Looking at the angle I would also have to guess 6955 Bayers Road unless one of the approved projects has gone ahead without anyone else noticing. Judging by the angle if that were the case it could be Craigmore or Bayview.

Jstaleness
Aug 5, 2010, 5:43 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Craigmore. I was at the Scotiabank on Chebucto yesterday but didn't notice any cranes in the distance so I don't think its that. It's not Bayers rd because the direction at which the driver is facing is away from that site. When I drive it again I'll pay more attention. For now I'm going to go with Russell Lake. It is a long distance but remember how big the Mount Royal Crane used to look coming off the MacKay Halifax bound.

hfxtradesman
Aug 6, 2010, 1:14 AM

it is the Trillium crane, I travel this way every day. nice veiw from the 103 isn't it.

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2010, 1:16 AM
I didn't know where to post this so excuse me if this seems random.

We of course all know of the Heritage Trust and Save The View Coalitions fight over the Nova Centre. Well with their determination in mind when I was walking in the Dartmouth Commons the other day I noticed some problems with vistas looking over the water. This photo alone shows the need to remove highway style billboards and overhead power lines;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4864214125_4523518f88_z.jpg

bluenoser
Aug 6, 2010, 3:30 PM
This photo alone shows the need to remove highway style billboards and overhead power lines;

Those billboards do seem out of place; they kind of set the wrong tone for entering downtown Dartmouth. As for the overhead powerlines, I think they're out of place there and pretty much everywhere else in the city - at least anywhere within the downtown cores. I would actually say they're my biggest complaint about HRM in general.

Anyway, speaking of downtown Dartmouth...

Dartmouth needs sculpture park
Last Updated: Friday, August 6, 2010 | 9:48 AM AT

A local business commission wants to give people more reason to visit the Dartmouth waterfront — a sculpture park.

Tim Olive, executive director of the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission, said he thinks a sculpture park, like one he visited in Windsor, Ont., might entice more people to venture across the harbour from Halifax, and also attract more people who live and work in downtown Dartmouth.

"We have this great waterfront, but we're not getting maximum use out of it. The families and the people working and living downtown aren't using the waterfront to the extent they should," he said Thursday.

"So you think about that, and you think how do you get people downtown — what are other people doing?"

Olive said the statue park in Ontario has more than 30 different pieces, modern art and realistic portrayals of animals. Olive thinks private companies and individuals should commission similar sculptures for Dartmouth's waterfront.

"The kids come to see them and they want to come back to see them. It's an experience, you know, it's an outdoor experience for families," he said.

The art would be placed throughout the municipally owned park along the Dartmouth waterfront. So, even though the business commission plans to maintain the sculputures, the Halifax Regional Municipality has to agree to the idea.

Olive said he hopes to make a presentation to the Harbour East Community Council as soon as possible to get councillors on side.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/08/06/ns-dartmouth-sculpture-park.html#ixzz0vq8stYYj

Jstaleness
Aug 6, 2010, 4:36 PM
I didn't know where to post this so excuse me if this seems random.

We of course all know of the Heritage Trust and Save The View Coalitions fight over the Nova Centre. Well with their determination in mind when I was walking in the Dartmouth Commons the other day I noticed some problems with vistas looking over the water. This photo alone shows the need to remove highway style billboards and overhead power lines;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4864214125_4523518f88_z.jpg

You are right! I cannot see George's Island because the view has been blocked by the billboard! Ban these billboards now!!!!!

Dmajackson
Aug 6, 2010, 5:48 PM
I've sent the photo above to the Heritage Trust to "test" them. If the Heritage Trust really cares about preserving views and Dartmouth's history then they will take my advice and advocate to get the power lines and billboards removed. If they do not it is obvious to me that they only care about ensuring no developments go ahead in the region.

halifaxboyns
Aug 6, 2010, 7:22 PM
I've sent the photo above to the Heritage Trust to "test" them. If the Heritage Trust really cares about preserving views and Dartmouth's history then they will take my advice and advocate to get the power lines and billboards removed. If they do not it is obvious to me that they only care about ensuring no developments go ahead in the region.

The catch with that is that this view is already 'protected' using the Dartmouth viewplanes. If you suggested that part of protecting that view is to remove the powerlines and billboards; then the answer should be interesting.

I suspect they may just come back and say - we'll it's already protected, so we don't care about what goes into the view beyond that.

Would be interesting if they came back and said something more though; I'd be really surprised. From a professional perspective - Billboards have no business being in downtown unless they are pedestrian scaled. Those billboards (which are automobile scaled) really destroy the downtown feel, which is why I hope Halifax never has anything like Nathan Phillips Square. It's an interesting space; but destroyed by the billboards.

It would be my hope that as areas like Agricola and Quinpool grow up - that billboards either get scaled down to a human scale; or removed. FYI - Toronto's new sign bylaw taxes billboards to help improve the public realm.

Jonovision
Aug 7, 2010, 1:41 AM
Really interesting news about the sculpture park. I hope it moves ahead.

Keith P.
Aug 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
Really interesting news about the sculpture park. I hope it moves ahead.

Maybe they can put that bizarro outdoor gym equipment there. :koko:

hfxtradesman
Aug 8, 2010, 4:58 PM
Another little peice of info. Some of the buildings that wmfares are going to build in the new area of Bedford are put on hold. It looks like they may start instead on some of the bigger projects around the city.

fenwick16
Aug 8, 2010, 5:05 PM
Another little peice of info. Some of the buildings that wmfares are going to build in the new area of Bedford are put on hold. It looks like they may start instead on some of the bigger projects around the city.

I think that would be best - focus on the central urban core (Dartmouth and Halifax) and then start developing outlying areas when necessary or when there is a demand.

Dmajackson
Aug 8, 2010, 8:48 PM

Well thats diasappointing. That means our "back-up" crosstown road will not be completed for years to come (and its essential that is done soon). So traffic will be nightmarish for many more years which in turn will stall development since who wants to buy a house/condo in neighbourhood that takes 15 minutes to exit plus another then minutes to reach the next stoplight?

I think UG should sell of some of their land (with the DA's attached) and allow this town to continue growing since a larger and stronger Bedford is good for the entire region (we are part of the urban area of HRM as well).

eastcoastal
Aug 8, 2010, 10:33 PM
You are right! I cannot see George's Island because the view has been blocked by the billboard! Ban these billboards now!!!!!

Funny thing is, they should be banned. Not because they block views (despite the arguments along that line by a particular councilor, with respect to the signs near the Armdale Traffic Circle, and their detrimental effect on view of the Northwest Arm), but because they are appropriate for highways, and not in urban cores. Not that downtown dartmouth is a bustling downtown (yet), but that's the intended character.

hfxtradesman
Aug 8, 2010, 11:24 PM
Well thats diasappointing. That means our "back-up" crosstown road will not be completed for years to come (and its essential that is done soon). So traffic will be nightmarish for many more years which in turn will stall development since who wants to buy a house/condo in neighbourhood that takes 15 minutes to exit plus another then minutes to reach the next stoplight?

I think UG should sell of some of their land (with the DA's attached) and allow this town to continue growing since a larger and stronger Bedford is good for the entire region (we are part of the urban area of HRM as well).

far as i know all the roads are still a go, but in this city who knows:shrug:

terrynorthend
Aug 9, 2010, 12:56 AM

Any idea which projects they might start?

worldlyhaligonian
Aug 9, 2010, 1:01 AM
Any idea which projects they might start?

I'm not sure how Fares in involved in the construction, but I'd be that the approved Bayview tower would be a high priority... especially given its similarities to the Trillium. I hope for Bayview at least.

Dmajackson
Aug 9, 2010, 1:24 AM
far as i know all the roads are still a go, but in this city who knows:shrug:

In most suburban developments (here at least) the roads are only built when the surrounding neighbourhood is built because its the developers who control the construction of them and if I'm not mistaken pay for a significant chunk of them. In Bedford there is one road for sure that is being held up because of United Gulf and some other company.

30 years ago when most of the developments for the area were approved Nine Mile Drive was supposed to be constructed through some cost-sharing agreement involving UG and another company. Only two sections of the road are completed (and they do not connect) in Paper Mill Lake and at Larry Uteck Drive. The road is supposed to go from the Royale Hemlocks (Starboard Drive) through the new interchange around back of Paper Mill Lake and end at Hammonds Plains Road right next to the 102 interchange.

someone123
Aug 10, 2010, 4:50 AM
Allnovascotia's reporting that the Green Lantern Building renovations are going to proceed now that the city has issued a building permit. Looks like they're also going to overhaul the back side of the building on Granville, which is currently covered in ugly metal siding.

Hopefully the Sam buildings and NFB will also start up soon. Collectively these projects will add a decent number of new residents to Barrington. The renovations alone I think will correct a lot of problems on the street... to some degree I think we're seeing an artificial situation where there are more vacancies than there otherwise would be because there are so many projects in the works.

fenwick16
Aug 10, 2010, 8:05 AM
Allnovascotia's reporting that the Green Lantern Building renovations are going to proceed now that the city has issued a building permit. Looks like they're also going to overhaul the back side of the building on Granville, which is currently covered in ugly metal siding.

Page 3 and 4 (page 6 and 7 of the pdf file) of this document - http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/documents/100209ca1041.pdf give some details about this project.

someone123
Aug 10, 2010, 8:33 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing the restored storefront masonry underneath the current wood and corrugated metal coverings. The red sandstone and marble columns by the main entrance give a sense of the kind of detailing that might exist.

We may also see a Carsand Mosher overhaul soon.

wackypacky
Aug 10, 2010, 4:22 PM
Does anyone know whats going in where the circ meets main st above the muraled wall. Theres been a crane there for a few weeks but I havent heard anything about it.

alps
Aug 10, 2010, 5:30 PM
Does anyone know whats going in where the circ meets main st above the muraled wall. Theres been a crane there for a few weeks but I havent heard anything about it.

http://www.gemhealth.com/the-admiral-dartmouth.html This, possibly? It's a pretty bland-looking old folks home.

spcushing
Aug 10, 2010, 6:55 PM
I heard something about a nursing home complex. It is up by the Admiral Westphal School off Fourth St. I haven't heard confirmation of this.

spcushing
Aug 10, 2010, 6:57 PM
Yup- thats the one. What a great view it will have!

hfxtradesman
Aug 11, 2010, 1:18 AM
Does anybody know who bought the big empty peice of land on Young and Windsor. The for sale sign and all signs are gone from that area.

someone123
Aug 11, 2010, 3:04 AM
Is that the land on the northeast side of the intersection? That was going to be a gas station I thought, though maybe you are talking about a different site..?

That whole area has a lot of potential and but needs better planning.

bluenoser
Aug 11, 2010, 3:44 PM
Council focuses spotlight on Khyber Building
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 | 10:22 AM AT

Halifax city council has approved a three-year plan to overhaul the Khyber arts building.

Council voted unanimouslyTuesday to turn the historic building on Barrington Street into an "arts and culture incubator," a place for emerging and professional artists to meet and collaborate.

The Halifax Regional Municipality will maintain ownership of the building. It will choose a cultural group to take over management of the centre by Year 3.

The building has been the home of the Khyber Arts Society for 15 years.

"Now it is assured a strong future that will greatly contribute to Barrington Street and help build the creative capital of this municipality," Mayor Peter Kelly said in a statement.

Municipal staff have said it would cost between $800,000 and $1 million to repair and upgrade the building.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2010/08/11/ns-khyber-arts-council.html#ixzz0wJS9JOf4

bluenoser
Aug 11, 2010, 4:01 PM
a couple of random things...

Drive-by shot of a new (ish?) building in Bayers Lake.
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010/08/11-0855197750T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=11-085519L&y=2010&m=08&t=jpg&rand=7750&srv=img6)
(photo by me)

and, looking more like a prison than an elementary school; LC Skerry in Waverley.
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010/08/11-0853152846T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=11-085315L&y=2010&m=08&t=jpg&rand=2846&srv=img6)
(photo by me)

...which is too bad because I remember the old Waverley Memorial having a cool art-deco feel to it. At least they're going to paint it anyway:
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010/08/11-0856202615T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=11-085620L&y=2010&m=08&t=jpg&rand=2615&srv=img6)
source: http://wmes.ednet.ns.ca/

fenwick16
Aug 11, 2010, 4:39 PM
a couple of random things...

Drive-by shot of a new (ish?) building in Bayers Lake.
http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2010/08/11-0855197750T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=11-085519L&y=2010&m=08&t=jpg&rand=7750&srv=img6)
(photo by me)

This is a great looking building. Thanks for the picture. The HRM needs more buildings like this.

bluenoser
Aug 11, 2010, 9:28 PM
^^no problem! I quite like that building too, especially for being in a business park.

from today's Herald:

Apartments fuel building boom
Number of multi-unit buildings under construction in Halifax region way up in July
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Wed, Aug 11 - 4:53 AM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business/1196238.html

Dmajackson
Aug 11, 2010, 11:20 PM
South Street Townhouses all repaired, and $100'000 deck at the Westin (photos by me);

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4883160523_194de5d63f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4883152515_00b642c9f1_z.jpg

hfxtradesman
Aug 12, 2010, 12:36 AM
Is that the land on the northeast side of the intersection? That was going to be a gas station I thought, though maybe you are talking about a different site..?

That whole area has a lot of potential and but needs better planning.

There was talk about a gas station for awhile but a for sale sign went up about 2-3 months ago and now the signs are all gone. Haven't heard anything else.

Dmajackson
Aug 12, 2010, 1:03 AM
Solar-powered trash cans?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4883826544_679192a096_z.jpg

planarchy
Aug 12, 2010, 1:23 AM
[QUOTE=Dmajackson;4944225]South Street Townhouses all repaired, and $100'000 deck at the Westin (photos by me);

South Street buildings aren't yet up and running. The End unit @ Barrington is good, but the rest is still empty. The centre building still has plywood on the windows!

spaustin
Aug 12, 2010, 1:52 AM
[QUOTE=Dmajackson;4944225]South Street Townhouses all repaired, and $100'000 deck at the Westin (photos by me);

South Street buildings aren't yet up and running. The End unit @ Barrington is good, but the rest is still empty. The centre building still has plywood on the windows!

The Taj Mahel is reopened of course, but from what I understand that building is owned by different people. Are they repairing the rest of the row? Until last month I lived next door in the yellow building and I didn't see any activity after the initial cleanup. Made me wonder if they were planning on rebuilding or were cooking up a new development instead.

Dmajackson
Aug 12, 2010, 1:53 AM
A scenic view of the MacDonald Bridge and the outdoor equipment on Wyse Road;

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4883527289_e52a0f8335_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4883506781_453e24bac5_z.jpg

bluenoser
Aug 12, 2010, 6:13 AM
The Taj Mahel is reopened of course, but from what I understand that building is owned by different people. Are they repairing the rest of the row? Until last month I lived next door in the yellow building and I didn't see any activity after the initial cleanup. Made me wonder if they were planning on rebuilding or were cooking up a new development instead.

As of last week, they were still inspecting parts of the structure(s) for integrity. They might be all good but they might end up having to rebuild some sections.

terrynorthend
Aug 12, 2010, 9:11 PM
$100'000 deck at the Westin (photos by me);

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4883152515_00b642c9f1_z.jpg

Geez, that certainly is underwhelming. When I heard them talking about it on the radio, I was pretty excited. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the rooftop patios around town.

Empire
Aug 12, 2010, 11:03 PM
Geez, that certainly is underwhelming. When I heard them talking about it on the radio, I was pretty excited. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the rooftop patios around town.

I agree, it's a disgrace. The Westin (Grande Olde Dame) deserves more than this typical unplanned backyard deck. I bet council thinks it's perfect.

spaustin
Aug 13, 2010, 1:24 AM

Do you think the cook/waiter on the deck is telling the customers a fish story? It was this big! :)

halifaxboyns
Aug 13, 2010, 4:13 AM
This is a great looking building. Thanks for the picture. The HRM needs more buildings like this.

That's been there a few times; I remember it opened just as I was moving to Calgary (if I recall correctly) so it would be late 2007/early 2008.

Still a very nice building - good size for office campus development out in the burbs.

alps
Aug 15, 2010, 7:03 AM
New VMS on Massachusetts Ave (Robie St extension). looks to be the same type as has been installed at either end of the Cobequid Pass.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4892633875_18c1c6d480_z.jpg
(my photo)

Wishblade
Aug 15, 2010, 2:27 PM
New VMS on Massachusetts Ave (Robie St extension). looks to be the same type as has been installed at either end of the Cobequid Pass.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4892633875_18c1c6d480_z.jpg
(my photo)

They also have a couple of these above the circ coming towards the Mackay on the Dartmouth side.

Jstaleness
Aug 15, 2010, 4:00 PM
They also have a couple of these above the circ coming towards the Mackay on the Dartmouth side.

I think there is 4 in total. Robie st, Barrington st, 111 and whatever they call ramp leading from Windsor exchange to the Bridge. Once all the construction work is over I don't expect these to be used that often. Maybe during accident clean-up but that's about it.

Dmajackson
Aug 15, 2010, 4:54 PM
I think there is 4 in total. Robie st, Barrington st, 111 and whatever they call ramp leading from Windsor exchange to the Bridge. Once all the construction work is over I don't expect these to be used that often. Maybe during accident clean-up but that's about it.

There's also one on Victoria Road coming from Burnside. I'm not sure but there's likely another on Victoria Road as well coming from the North-End of Dartmouth.

David1gray
Aug 15, 2010, 5:12 PM
ya, i saw those yesterday. there are 2 on victoria one for each direction as you get close to circ

mcmcclassic
Aug 15, 2010, 5:14 PM

That is a continuing care facility under construction. I realize this was answered awhile ago but I don't know how to delete posts.

Jstaleness
Aug 15, 2010, 6:49 PM
ya, i saw those yesterday. there are 2 on victoria one for each direction as you get close to circ

Yes that's right. I'm not sure how I forgot those 2. I see them everyday. Maybe that's why.

JustinMacD
Aug 19, 2010, 12:18 AM
BTW, the little ceremony thing for the new Homburg Centre at SMU will be tomorrow at 11AM in front of the Tower.

spaustin
Aug 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
Didn't know where to put this, but I found an interesting little story about a fight in New York over a proposed new skyscrapper (a true skyscrapper). The arguments on both sides sound awfully familiar :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/nyregion/24empire.html?_r=1&hp

Jstaleness
Aug 26, 2010, 12:46 PM
A Crane went up in my house last night.
Photo by me.
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/TowerCrane.jpg

fenwick16
Aug 26, 2010, 1:17 PM
A Crane went up in my house last night.
Photo by me.

Where did you get that? It looks like a good functional crane (what is the capacity?).

Jstaleness
Aug 26, 2010, 1:53 PM
I bought it at Canadian Tire. It was for my son for Christmas. I haven't weight tested it yet but it comes a bucket accessory that I filled with sand and it was able to lift it. I'll see if I can get some specs. I may have to counter weigh it as the base is fairly unstable.

worldlyhaligonian
Aug 27, 2010, 12:26 AM
I bought it at Canadian Tire. It was for my son for Christmas. I haven't weight tested it yet but it comes a bucket accessory that I filled with sand and it was able to lift it. I'll see if I can get some specs. I may have to counter weigh it as the base is fairly unstable.

So cool... Meanwhile the children (or likely grandchildren) of HT members are being taught to oppose lego buildings taller than 8 blocks and to be generally useless to society.

planarchy
Aug 27, 2010, 12:35 AM
Didn't know where to put this, but I found an interesting little story about a fight in New York over a proposed new skyscrapper (a true skyscrapper). The arguments on both sides sound awfully familiar :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/nyregion/24empire.html?_r=1&hp

Yeah, we all forget sometimes that the resistance that we see here toward development is actually quite common. Same goes for the leadership issue at the municipal level - you just have to look at the ignorant and embarrassing candidate leading the Mayoral race in Toronto. If our biggest, most diverse city can't find a suitable and intelligent leader, it shouldn't be overly surprising that Halifax can't either.

Empire
Aug 27, 2010, 12:36 AM
So cool... Meanwhile the children (or likely grandchildren) of HT members are being taught to oppose lego buildings taller than 8 blocks and to be generally useless to society.

Interestingly HT has said there is approx. 1 million sq. ft. capacity for development in parking lots in the downtown at the current prescribed heights. Think of the lost sq. footage from the existing buildings that were forced to be chopped off at 6-10 fl.

Dmajackson
Aug 27, 2010, 1:11 AM
Not to side-track the HT bashing but the office building for the corner of Agricola and West has begun construction. It's being built by J D Stevens (a Florida based company) and if memory serves it will be three stories.

DigitalNinja
Aug 27, 2010, 2:52 AM
But I like to bash the HT :(

On a side note, I'm going to get some pics of new subdivisions in sackville this weekend, there have been 3 new ones going up by my house. 2 are almost complete other is just doing the roads now... More sprawl just what we need.

Precambrian
Aug 27, 2010, 3:07 AM
Ahh, yes, The HT doing it's wonderful job of letting the inner city turn into a mini Detroit with all the buildings they're supposed to protect decay and crumble, while stalling developments which would bring people downtown and open businesses in these heritage buildings or preserve them. Instead these people are promoting sprawl by making the downtown very undesirable to live, work, and play. Maybe an election can fix things right.

I've noticed, that Coun. Sloane has let up a wee bit on her anti-development propaganda lately. I'm just wondering that she clued in about peoples wishes after coming close to getting a pink slip during the last election. This should serve as a reminder to others who don't listen to the people that voted for them.

Jstaleness
Aug 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Not to side-track the HT bashing but the office building for the corner of Agricola and West has begun construction. It's being built by J D Stevens (a Florida based company) and if memory serves it will be three stories.

I'm on Agricola quite a bit. I'll get a few pics next time I'm by.

someone123
Aug 27, 2010, 1:49 PM
Ahh, yes, The HT doing it's wonderful job of letting the inner city turn into a mini Detroit with all the buildings they're supposed to protect decay and crumble, while stalling developments which would bring people downtown and open businesses in these heritage buildings or preserve them. Instead these people are promoting sprawl by making the downtown very undesirable to live, work, and play. Maybe an election can fix things right.

Actually I think, if this is their goal, that they have been doing a poor job lately. Lots of growth is happening in the core.

Jstaleness
Aug 27, 2010, 11:58 PM
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/new001.jpg
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/new002.jpg

I couldn't get good angles. Photos by me.

JustinMacD
Sep 5, 2010, 8:28 PM
What is the old building on the corner of SGR and Barrington across from the Maritime Centre (the old NFB building)? Anyways, there is lots of work being done on this one now.

Keith P.
Sep 5, 2010, 9:53 PM
What is the old building on the corner of SGR and Barrington across from the Maritime Centre (the old NFB building)? Anyways, there is lots of work being done on this one now.

That belongs to the Catholic diocese (I forget the proper name for it). It is where the Archbishop lives. I read recently that they were putting some money into renovations and updates.

alps
Sep 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
That's good. There'd been netting strung over the crumbing brickwork for some time now.

halifaxboyns
Sep 8, 2010, 2:50 AM
That belongs to the Catholic diocese (I forget the proper name for it). It is where the Archbishop lives. I read recently that they were putting some money into renovations and updates.

There are turning it into a more formal residence plus a 'senior's home' for older priests; from what I remember. I think it was designed for up to 6 priests?

someone123
Sep 9, 2010, 2:41 AM
Allnovascotia has stories about two new store openings on Barrington Street: Obladee, the wine bar, is supposed to open in the old Frozen Ocean location in October. The old Peepshow storefront is also being renovated for a home furnishings store called Oddjects.

beyeas
Sep 9, 2010, 2:05 PM
Allnovascotia has stories about two new store openings on Barrington Street: Obladee, the wine bar, is supposed to open in the old Frozen Ocean location in October. The old Peepshow storefront is also being renovated for a home furnishings store called Oddjects.

You beat me to it! :-)

There are certainly some early (but increasing signs) of business owners taking a bet on Barrington reviving itself. I find that more convincing then just believing the politicians blathering on about how it will be revived. "Following where the money is going" is a far more definitive indication, and there signs that some people are willing to risk investing money in putting new businesses on the street. Makes sense potentially to get in now and lock into a lease at a good rate, if you are betting that in the next 4-10 years that there will be a big turn-around on the street! :banana:

phrenic
Sep 9, 2010, 2:39 PM

BTW, this will be the headquarters for web firm Internet Solutions Ltd (ISL). They're currently in the CIBC building downtown.

Jstaleness
Sep 9, 2010, 8:13 PM
Not sure if there is a thread for this yet or not.
This is the Crane that went up today at the Coast Guard Offices.
Photos by me.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00209.jpg
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu360/jstaleness/IMG00210.jpg

Jstaleness
Sep 9, 2010, 8:15 PM
You beat me to it! :-)

There are certainly some early (but increasing signs) of business owners taking a bet on Barrington reviving itself. I find that more convincing then just believing the politicians blathering on about how it will be revived. "Following where the money is going" is a far more definitive indication, and there signs that some people are willing to risk investing money in putting new businesses on the street. Makes sense potentially to get in now and lock into a lease at a good rate, if you are betting that in the next 4-10 years that there will be a big turn-around on the street! :banana:

The last few trips that I have been down Barrington has made things look promising. Maybe it's just because school is back in but it's busy again. I hope this a sing of things to come.

terrynorthend
Sep 9, 2010, 8:30 PM
Photos by me.

Sorry, where is this? Up by BIO? What is being built?

Dmajackson
Sep 9, 2010, 8:59 PM
Photos by me.

Here's the thread for it; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=176038

It's good to see its going ahead. Should be a nice addition to the currently pathetic Burnside skyline.

When you were in the area was there any sign of the cranes going up for the RCMP HQ?

someone123
Sep 9, 2010, 9:31 PM

I personally think that the Detroit-style dying downtown rhetoric employed by some of the local media is really over the top and has given people a distorted view of the health of the downtown area. Aside from a couple of properties Barrington is moderately successful as a retail street (it is easy to come up with interesting retailers there worth visiting, like J. W. Doull or Freak Lunchbox) and it is one of the weaker parts of the downtown.

Sometimes you hear the same "abandoned peninsula" rhetoric and it is totally wrong. I find it puzzling how those can sit cheek-by-jowl with complaints about new development or traffic. The reality is that the population in the inner city is growing significantly, even around Gottingen Street.

The proper way to look at Barrington is to consider it an area that has been hampered by poor planning and regulatory delays, not a lack of possible investment money as is the case in dying cities. People are waiting to invest in downtown Halifax but the HRM and others make it difficult. Furthermore, Barrington and the old downtown are not areas that must have magical fixes like a convention centre to "revitalize" them (a convention centre may be good or bad but should be judged on its actual merits without presupposing that it will be a panacea) - that is a very confused way to view downtown development and is the attitude that gave us Scotia Square.

The good news is that I think it will take very little in the way of improvements to make the street look vastly better. The Sam project and NFB alone would make a huge difference in the overall balance of the street. Add a couple new buildings, restorations, and streetscaping to the mix and Barrington will be very attractive.

Jstaleness
Sep 9, 2010, 10:54 PM
Here's the thread for it; http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=176038

It's good to see its going ahead. Should be a nice addition to the currently pathetic Burnside skyline.

When you were in the area was there any sign of the cranes going up for the RCMP HQ?

RCMP site has had a mobile crane onsite for almost a week. Today there was 2! Hopefully they will be putting the cranes in place tomorrow.

Dmajackson
Sep 9, 2010, 11:03 PM
RCMP site has had a mobile crane onsite for almost a week. Today there was 2! Hopefully they will be putting the cranes in place tomorrow.

Thank God!

That means HRM will have 10 cranes up at once. :D

alps
Sep 11, 2010, 9:28 PM
-The foundation is in place for some sort of extension to the side of the mysterious Connaught Pharmacy (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.647475,-63.607492&spn=0,0.009259&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=44.647513,-63.60733&panoid=4LuU-aXWDzzOa6pInk6GMQ&cbp=12,311.19,,0,3.85). Looks like a new building filling about half that empty lot.

-The Chester spur CN rails along Joe Howe have been ripped out and replaced with an asphalt trail surface. Kinda sad in a way but at least the ROW is preserved.

-They're still working on adding a third floor to the Zephyr furniture store (http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.645286,-63.596651&spn=0,0.002315&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=44.645683,-63.596864&panoid=YLOwaw0mfzBUtkwLcuNWdA&cbp=12,152.36,,1,-3.17) on Quinpool.

-Dal is paving the gravel parking lot at Oxford and Coburg so I guess there are no immediate plans for anything else there.

Keith P.
Sep 11, 2010, 9:48 PM
-The Chester spur CN rails along Joe Howe have been ripped out and replaced with an asphalt trail surface. Kinda sad in a way but at least the ROW is preserved.

This is yet another example of HRM wasting your tax dollars. There are no sidewalks at all along the west side of that stretch of street. Yet they went to huge expense to rip out the old rail line, build a new compacted base, and have now paved it in about an 8-foot wide section parallel to the street. They have left about twice that width between the curb and the new asphalt as a rutted, muddy mess . Yet that is where people cross the street, wait for buses, etc. They have built a trail to nowhere. Why they just didn't build a proper sidewalk there amazes me -- well, not really, since this is HRM we are talking about here. Just a ridiculous waste.

Dmajackson
Sep 12, 2010, 2:08 AM
^I disagree Keith.

At the moment yes the trail does go nowheres but in the near future it will extend all the way to Bayers Lake providing a crucial AT link to the existing BLT corridor at Lakeside. In the far out future the waterside trail to Bedford will connect to the other end and I believe the HUGA trail will either connect or come relatively close to the area. Besides having a nice wide paved trail adjacent to a busy stretch of road will create a safe location for cyclists and pedestrians alike.

I'm also sure HRM will green the space between the road and the trail as funds are made available for it.

One thing I'm not sure of is wether or not HRM will make the trail convenient or not. At most trail/road intersections vehicles are given priority which is absurd especially along main AT corridors. If the trail does not give good access to Superstore and adjacent roads locals will not use the trail which is a similar problem to what people face in Bedford and along the HUGA trail on Beaufort Avenue.

Dmajackson
Sep 12, 2010, 2:49 AM
Solar-powered trash cans?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4883826544_679192a096_z.jpg

Found an article on these bins;

Halifax News Net.ca (http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/News/2010-09-09/article-1737599/Halifax-waterfront-site-of-pilot-recycling-program/1)

someone123
Sep 12, 2010, 3:29 AM
One thing I'm not sure of is wether or not HRM will make the trail convenient or not. At most trail/road intersections vehicles are given priority which is absurd especially along main AT corridors. If the trail does not give good access to Superstore and adjacent roads locals will not use the trail which is a similar problem to what people face in Bedford and along the HUGA trail on Beaufort Avenue.

They oversell a lot of this as "active transportation".

Cycling in cities can be a serious way for people to get around. It's often more convenient than taking the bus and it is a good way to get physical activity, but trails are useless for cyclists unless they go to real places. Unfortunately, many of the trails in Halifax seem to be designed for recreational purposes or exist only because they happened to be available. Many things are done in the HRM because they are the easy way out and somehow approximate a real solution but they are often not really worth spending money on.

This land cost $2.7M and the improvements are costing about $1.5M. I can imagine many better ways to spend that money for cyclists, and for others the arguments about connecting a trail system don't make a whole lot of difference.