PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

BlackYear
Feb 26, 2010, 9:22 PM
That Alan Cochrane article looks great on paper, but an actual walk up & down St-George street paints another picture. St-George street desperately needs a make-over.

One significant change would be to place the power lines under ground. Then plant and replant new trees every 30' each side of the street from King st. to Vaughan Harvey. Replace street lights with new lamp posts. Place park benches, bicycle stands, those giant side walk flower pots all along the way.

Merchants and retailers along St-George street should get some sort of incentive either by tax break or grants to fix or upgrade their business' facades.

One another note, I was all set to buy La Bonne Nouvelle after winning tonight's $50 million lotto MAX. I had plans on opening an affordable Bar&Grill with a huge outdoor patio.

Oh well, an International market sounds interesting.:tup:

mylesmalley
Mar 1, 2010, 6:32 AM
Pretty cool... Moncton got a mention at the Olympic closing ceremonies during a speech by the head of VanOC :D

MonctonRad
Mar 1, 2010, 12:33 PM
Pretty cool... Moncton got a mention at the Olympic closing ceremonies during a speech by the head of VanOC :D

Maybe he heard that the T&T wants Moncton to host the next Olympic Games! :haha:

mylesmalley
Mar 1, 2010, 1:40 PM
Downtown development moving at steady pace
Published Monday March 1st, 2010

Infusion of new business and 'key downtown facility' would help fuse everything together
A4

Outside it was drizzling and cool, but inside the Marché Moncton Market Saturday morning, it was bright and warm. The usual Saturday morning crowds were out, the smells of cuisine from a dozen different lands were making stomachs growl, and downtown Moncton was exhibiting all of the happening people-place vibe civic leaders have been trying to create for years.

Moncton's farmers market has long been a good start to what downtown Moncton can be.

You step outside the market and there's promise on the horizon too, even if you have to squint through the drizzle.

It's often tempting to say nothing has happened in the blocks between Main Street and Assomption Boulevard since the City of Moncton first bought up the former Beaver Lumber properties in 1999. However, the land is steadily filling in, even if the once highly touted partnership between the city and Toronto's Verdiroc land developers has amounted to nothing.

Others have filled the void. First of all, the Rogers call centre on Westmorland Street, criticisms of its big box architecture and perhaps too generous parking deal with the city notwithstanding, has brought 1,000 workers into Moncton's downtown. A second parcel of what was once Beaver Lumber land has the new courthouse standing upon it.

Nearby, Fortis Properties has in-filled some previously empty land with an attractive (thanks to the efforts of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission) expansion of the Atlantic Blue Cross Centre.

Across Mechanic Street, the Marriott hotel has also significantly improved the downtown streetscape, and across Assomption Boulevard, even the once humble Moncton Press Club sports an attractive new riverside building.

Unfortunately, there's nothing on the horizon for the empty spaces that still remain in the middle of all that downtown core -- except a whole lot of surface parking. Verdiroc sold one parcel of its land to the province for the courthouse, but another large parcel across Westmorland Street is either vacant or under-used as surface parking for Rogers.

Much of the rest is owned by Assumption Life and used for the time being as parking, even though the pending closure of the provincial jail on adjacent property makes Assumption's land holdings especially attractive.

Assumption Life, the mighty Moncton-based insurance company whose Main Street high-rise headquarters seems the massive building block that literally and figuratively makes Moncton's skyline solid, was long expected to play a lead role in revitalizing the asphalt plain of central downtown.

Indeed, over the years, the company worked closely with other business leaders and civic officials on various plans for downtown, even spending thousands of their own dollars drafting various designs.

The years have dragged on. Other downtown visions have been drafted by other parties.

Private investors and the provincial government have stepped up with buildings and a courthouse and a new Gunningsville Bridge. Moncton's municipal government has stepped up with sound road investments that have extended Assomption and Vaughan Harvey boulevards.

What has eluded any of the past three municipal governments, however, is that key downtown facility with the power to tie it all together.

And with the years gone by and no real plan forthcoming from city hall, it appears one of the city's biggest (and local) potential partners has closed the door on being part of it, at least most of the way.

Denis Losier, president and CEO of Assumption Life, signalled at the company's annual general meeting Friday the company's downtown development dreams have been shelved.

"Real estate is not really the priority for us. If we find good investment opportunities, we will," Losier said, but he said the company was no longer interested in leading development.

"But if somebody comes in with a very interesting project that's going to make sense financially for us, sure."

There is a symbolic exception that at least bodes well for Moncton's other downtown.

"Two years ago we bought our old headquarters on St. George (the Commerce building next to Assumption Cathedral) and we've been working at it. It's totally leased," Losier said.

StormShadow
Mar 2, 2010, 12:14 AM
George LeBlanc listens to Journey.

MonctonRad
Mar 2, 2010, 12:50 AM

I'm not much of a popular music afficionado therefore the obliquity of this reference escapes me...............some edification is in order.:shrug:

Sony500
Mar 2, 2010, 2:52 AM
:previous: what did you just say?

Dmajackson
Mar 2, 2010, 3:08 AM
I'm not much of a popular music afficionado therefore the obliquity of this reference escapes me...............some edification is in order.:shrug:

What? :sly:

Plese repeat that in plain internet-based english ...

mylesmalley
Mar 2, 2010, 3:57 AM
I would surmise that our MonctonRad is being a tad surreptitious with the substance of his dispatches. Or perchance his intent is merely pedantic in nature.

The Flash
Mar 2, 2010, 4:08 AM

Don't stop beleiving:whip:

MonctonRad
Mar 2, 2010, 4:46 AM
Don't stop beleiving:whip:

I was wondering if it was something like that.......thanks The Flash and welcome to the forums! :D

With reference to the other posters............I am nothing if not pedantic. The ability to obfuscate and confuse is a rare one, and I intend to employ it liberally when possible. :tup:

mylesmalley
Mar 2, 2010, 5:01 AM
Long live the pedants!

welcome, The Flash!

love*moncton
Mar 2, 2010, 3:40 PM
Just more Highfield Square info. I heard that Maritime Travel and Razor Edge spa are moving to the Ashford building corner Main & Vaughn. As the mall continues to empty, and along with continued rumours about the Bay closing(?), other stores moving or closing, seems like a decision must be made soon. Will Crombie renovate or sell. Will the arena/convention center go there if and when the City moves on that project?
On another note a furniture liquidation store has moved in the old Sobey's location.
I hope the Tim Hortens stays open. I work nearby the mall and there is no other Tim's in the area!:haha:

Sony500
Mar 2, 2010, 3:51 PM
:previous: If that Tim's moves out of there or the building is torn down, I am sure tim's will build in that area soon afterwards. A good spot would be where the old Frenchy's was on Tannery Extension.

MonctonRad
Mar 2, 2010, 4:20 PM
:previous:

Something has to be done with Highfield Square soon, it's becoming a major embarrassment to the city....................I hope The Bay stays however. It's the only one in the province and could still serve as a cornerstone of any potential redevelopment of the site.

pierremoncton
Mar 2, 2010, 5:02 PM
From http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/970358:

A second motion by Barnes last night targeted proper use of city trails by bicyclists and operators of motorized vehicles, including all-terrain-vehicles and snowmobiles.

The motion will likely mean having to post signs along trails prohibiting motorized vehicles and designating the trails where bicycles aren't permitted, she explained after the meeting.

Both motions were passed unanimously.

Council gave first reading to an amendment to by-law H-302.4 respecting recreation areas in the city.

The amendment prohibits anyone from driving a motor vehicle, an off-road vehicle, bicycle or horse in a recreation area where not authorized, and sets a speed limit of 15 kilometres an hour in those areas where permitted.

Also, all bicyclists must were protective head gear when in a recreation area.

The amendment follows complaints from residents in the Twin Oaks Drive area.

Speed limit: They're insane if they think that people will actually slow down to a crawl on the Riverfront Trail, Millennium Trail or at Centennial Park. I don't even know if my bike can go that slow without manifesting a soul and falling apart out of agonising boredom. Speed limits should be put in place where required (if there's such a problem in Twin Oaks, for example), not everywhere.

Then again, I don't expect this to ever be enforced. Helmets and lights at night are already required provincially and the RCMP doesn't care. They also let idiots ride their bikes in the street against the flow of traffic.

michael_d40
Mar 2, 2010, 5:10 PM

Something has to be done with Highfield Square soon, it's becoming a major embarrassment to the city....................I hope The Bay stays however. It's the only one in the province and could still serve as a cornerstone of any potential redevelopment of the site.

If they do decide to renovate they should do something along the lines of Brunswick Square here in SJ and anchor it with a hotel to secure traffic all the time. Brunswick Square is a pretty thriving place these days. I don't understand how Highfield Square got so bad. Do you think it was perhaps due with Crombie not keeping up with the times? It seems like most properties Crombie owns are dying a slow death and they are mostly in high traffic areas. It's very odd.

mylesmalley
Mar 2, 2010, 5:36 PM

A failure to stay relevant in the eyes of consumers and competing with the huge growth in power-center retail in newer parts of town.

MonctonRad
Mar 2, 2010, 5:48 PM
I don't understand how Highfield Square got so bad. Do you think it was perhaps due with Crombie not keeping up with the times? It seems like most properties Crombie owns are dying a slow death and they are mostly in high traffic areas. It's very odd.

I agree, Crombie just doesn't seem to have the knack to manage commercial retail properties; no matter what the location. Highfield Square is no different from many of their other properties. Most of their holdings in the Maritimes seem quite dodgy. :yuck:

JHikka
Mar 2, 2010, 6:00 PM
I greatly enjoy the food-court at Highfield, if anything. However, it's in a spot that has huge potential for growth, and I think it would be key to get the Downtown Arena complex put into there.

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 2, 2010, 6:05 PM
The County Fair Mall here is Summerside just got a huge reno/expansion in 06/07 and a new sobeys was built then too. The mall is nearly at capacity now and its a Crombie Property.

David1gray
Mar 2, 2010, 6:30 PM
the highland square mall here in new glasgow also recently had A LOT of reno's, new larger walmart, canadian tire, future shop, sportchek, etc. it is also crombie property.

kirjtc2
Mar 2, 2010, 6:53 PM
The only Crombie malls that do well are the ones with no competition. They own both malls in New Glasgow.

Look at their track record in the bigger markets: Highfield, Loch Lomond, Penhorn, Fredericton Mall, Sydney Shopping Centre. All dead or de-malled.

The only real exception seems to be Avalon Mall, but a look at their floor plan shows about a dozen vacancies.

MonctonRad
Mar 2, 2010, 7:02 PM

Both those malls in the not too distant past were also neglected. I'm glad to see that Crombie was able to rehabilitate them.

As far as Highfield Square is concerned, several major tenants have moved out and have set up digs in the surrounding neighbourhood. Most notably, both Shopper Drug Mart and Sobey's have built new standalone stores on Vaughn Harvey Blvd., just down the block from the current mall.

The Sobey's move is quite telling. If the Sobey's are decamping from their own mall, it makes you wonder what's going on. The few retailers that are left are operating on monthly leases. It would seem that Highfields days (at least in it's current iteration) are numbered. Something is definitely afoot.

I would guess that Crombie is just waiting to see what will happen with the arena/events centre. They may even have concocted a behind the scenes proposal for city council. Once we know what city council is going to do about the arena, we'll know what's going to happen to Highfield Square.

BlackYear
Mar 2, 2010, 9:07 PM
And if a new arena is built on Highfield Square, I assume this little piece of former Tim Horton eye sore property skyrockets in value.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/Moncton%20Google%20Street%20View/MainWeldon.jpg

mylesmalley
Mar 2, 2010, 9:19 PM
Wouldn't that just look great as a 5-storey apartment building?

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 2, 2010, 9:27 PM

Both those malls in the not too distant past were also neglected. I'm glad to see that Crombie was able to rehabilitate them.

As far as Highfield Square is concerned, several major tenants have moved out and have set up digs in the surrounding neighbourhood. Most notably, both Shopper Drug Mart and Sobey's have built new standalone stores on Vaughn Harvey Blvd., just down the block from the current mall.

The Sobey's move is quite telling. If the Sobey's are decamping from their own mall, it makes you wonder what's going on. The few retailers that are left are operating on monthly leases. It would seem that Highfields days (at least in it's current iteration) are numbered. Something is definitely afoot.

I would guess that Crombie is just waiting to see what will happen with the arena/events centre. They may even have concocted a behind the scenes proposal for city council. Once we know what city council is going to do about the arena, we'll know what's going to happen to Highfield Square.

Yes, the mall in Summerside used to look like a dump. But, it has about a dozen or so tenants the have lasted a decade or more:
Carlton Cards Store
The Style Hairdressers Shop
Reitmans
Maritime Travel
Bakin' Donuts (it moved into the expanded part and tripled in size)
Charm Diamond Centre (has since expanded by aprx. 500 sq. ft.)
Bank of Montreal moved into a 2 tenant plaza when the expansion happened The Medical Centre moved and is now 2 stories
It actually is a nice looking mall now. Has the biggest Bluenotes (listed as 3,4,450 sq. ft.), and the biggest Ardene (listed as 3,575 sq. ft.) I've ever seen.

theshark
Mar 2, 2010, 10:19 PM
Wouldn't that just look great as a 5-storey apartment building?

The building itself is for lease....so until it goes for sale or they decide to tear it down, no major change for that corner :(

David_99
Mar 3, 2010, 12:13 AM
:previous: If that Tim's moves out of there or the building is torn down, I am sure tim's will build in that area soon afterwards. A good spot would be where the old Frenchy's was on Tannery Extension.

The building itself is for lease....so until it goes for sale or they decide to tear it down, no major change for that corner :(

What are the chances that if Highfield were torn down, Tim's would just move into the old Tim's spot on that corner? Why did it close in the first place?

MonctonRad
Mar 3, 2010, 12:40 AM
What are the chances that if Highfield were torn down, Tim's would just move into the old Tim's spot on that corner? Why did it close in the first place?

I gather it was a hangout for winos and druggies.

MonctonRad
Mar 3, 2010, 12:49 AM
New Shoppers Drug Mart for Riverview
Published Tuesday March 2nd, 2010

Pharmacy and medical centre to be housed in trailers during demolition and construction
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

A new Shoppers Drug Mart store in Riverview will be bigger and better with more space for pharmacy counselling, food products and an expanded beauty products area.

Tammy Smitham, director of communications for the national pharmacy chain, said it will be a large format store, similar to the new one on Vaughan Harvey Boulevard. It will also have an expanded medical clinic.

The store currently employs about 20 people and more people are expected to be hired when the new one opens in the fall.

Staff will move into a temporary site on the same location while demolition and construction is carried out and move into the new store later this year.

Shoppers Drug Mart got the stamp of approval from the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission to demolish the existing store and build a new one on the same location at 500 Coverdale Road.

The Riverview location has been a landmark for many years. It sits at the corner of Coverdale Road and Buckingham Avenue near the Findlay Boulevard exit to West Riverview.

The immediate area surrounding the corner is mainly residential with several apartment buildings and seniors homes. A traffic study on Coverdale Road a few years ago indicated it is just as busy as the upper part of Mountain Road.

Shoppers Drug Mart has 10 locations in Metro Moncton. The Riverview location currently shares space with the medical clinic and a branch of the Bank of Montreal. The bank is moving to a new location on Coverdale Road between the Irving and Dollarama, which is now under construction.

During the demolition and construction, the Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacy and medical clinic will move into two trailers on-site. The planning commission approved this proposal, with the caveat that they be removed as soon as construction is complete and the trailers not block access to the fire hydrant on the property.

According to the plan submitted to the planning commission, the new store will have a medical clinic for two physicians and six examination rooms. There will also be an after-hours clinic for one doctor and three examination rooms.

Shane Thompson, Riverview's economic development officer, said he's pleased that Shopper's Drug Mart is expanding its presence to better serve the people of the town.

MonctonRad
Mar 3, 2010, 12:53 AM
Industrial Park expansion gets $910,000 loan
Published Tuesday March 2nd, 2010

Province announces forgivable loan to $7M expansion of Moncton park
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The provincial government says it will give a forgivable loan of $910,000 to the expansion of the Moncton Industrial Park.

The entire project is slated to cost $7 million and involves the development of 49 hectares (121 acres) in the industrial park. Within those plans are new paved streets, water and sewer lines, as well as the realignment of an intersection and improvements to Berry Mills Road.

The provincial government made the funding announcement yesterday.

"Moncton's phenomenal growth has put extra pressure on our park to develop serviced lots," said Mike Mann, president of Moncton Industrial Development Ltd. (MID), in a statement. "This expansion, along with our 2008 development at Caledonia Industrial Estates, is designed to help us secure new clients and provide much-needed industrial real estate for Moncton's business community."

The Moncton Industrial Park was created in 1960 with 100 acres of land. It has grown to become a vital part of the Metro Moncton economy.

Now 600 acres in size, the west-end park has been joined by Caledonia Industrial Estates in the northeast and the Dieppe Industrial Park to provide a trio of attractive locations for businesses looking to set up shop in New Brunswick.

Metro's central location to serve all three Maritime provinces is promoted as one of the main charms of all the industrial parks.

At the west end of St. George Boulevard, Moncton Industrial Park has grown over the years to its current size.

With 1,660 acres of space, the newer Caledonia park is the largest in Metro. Like the other two, it boasts easy access to Highway 2, the Trans-Canada Highway, and the Greater Moncton International Airport.

The Dieppe Industrial Park, between Highway 15 and Champlain Street, also covers a large area. Its 1,100 acres provide space for 200 companies and more than 2,000 employees -- and there's more growth on the way. An additional 150 acres between the airport and the interchange between Highways 15 and 2 will be developed, alongside an extension of Aviation Boulevard to provide enhanced access to the site.

michael_d40
Mar 3, 2010, 12:56 AM
Why did it close in the first place?

Due to lack of Drive Thru.

MonctonRad
Mar 3, 2010, 3:27 PM
It's interesting; in the Canada section, someone has resurrected the Dead Malls of Canada thread.....................I think I'll add in a reference to our own Highfield Square. :haha:

mylesmalley
Mar 3, 2010, 5:54 PM
It's interesting; in the Canada section, someone has resurrected the Dead Malls of Canada thread.....................I think I'll add in a reference to our own Highfield Square. :haha:

I was on there last night to see if you had done just that :haha:

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 3, 2010, 9:23 PM
Someone should open up a Tims near the new Sobeys/Shoppers. I'm willing to bet it would be really busy!

love*moncton
Mar 3, 2010, 9:46 PM
Tim Hortens wanted a location at or around the new Sobeys, but the City won't allow a drive through there, causes to much traffic problems to be on that busy corner. And I heard that Tim's won't build new locations now, unless a drive through is included/allowed.

BlackYear
Mar 3, 2010, 9:56 PM
Someone should open up a Tims near the new Sobeys/Shoppers. I'm willing to bet it would be really busy!

Which new Sobeys/Shoppers are you referring to? If it's Riverview, then there's already a Tim Horton at the corner of Findlay and Whitepine. It's a Esso/Tim Horton station.

*Edit* Never mind, now I know!

Sony500
Mar 4, 2010, 3:52 PM

That is the corner that I was referring to, but on the other side of Vaughn Harvey, there would be plenty of space there for a drive thru and the traffic could take advantage of the traffic light that is already installed there.

mylesmalley
Mar 4, 2010, 5:39 PM
Vaughan Harvey is such a fast route through the centre of town because it doesn't' have any businesses, driveways or drive-thrus along its entire length. I'd sooner not see that change.

JimiThing
Mar 4, 2010, 7:56 PM
Vaughan Harvey is such a fast route through the centre of town because it doesn't' have any businesses, driveways or drive-thrus along its entire length. I'd sooner not see that change.

I agree 100%, I would stray away from anything that would reduce the cross-town accessibility of Vaughn Harvey. A potential location could be the vacant lot beside the New Shoppers. However, we cannot forget the fact that there is already a Tim's in close proximity, on Albert Street.

Sony500
Mar 5, 2010, 4:47 AM
If the Tim's was located on that corner, it would use the traffic light to get in and out, the traffic would be the same, because there is traffic coming in and out of that intersection already.

mylesmalley
Mar 5, 2010, 11:32 AM
That might work in principle, but in practice, I highly doubt it. I'm sure we've all seen instances where the lineup at the drive thru was so long that it spilled out onto the street. That'd be disastrous. If it were built at that corner, they'd either cut off a turn lane, or block a through-lane into downtown.

Not to mention the fact that there are concrete medians on both streets leading into the intersection. In principle this is also fine, but it would be completely impossible to access it from one side of Main and both on Vaughan Harvey, and would no doubt encourage some people to pull illegal U turns. Moreover, depending on the configuration, you'd most likely have to force people onto a different street to get out of the lot. I highly doubt people would appreciate a Tim Hortons which is only accessible if you're going westbound on Main, and who's only exit is southbound on Vaughan Harvey. That would force you to go to the lights by the new shoppers to turn around in the mall parking lot, or to take that crappy half-road that runs behind Highfield Square if they intended on continuing downtown.

Sony500
Mar 5, 2010, 1:21 PM
Myles, I understand what you are talking about, but I am referring to the intersection where the new Shoppers Drug Mart is. Keep the intersection of Vaughn Harvey and Main St. out of it. Look at what you have to go through to go through the Drive Thru in Salisbury, that don't stop people from going there, well maybe some, but they are still busy. If people want their Tim's coffee, they will go and get it.

JimiThing
Mar 5, 2010, 5:32 PM
I think this property should be reserved for a larger development, like the one
shown below. However, there would probably be room for a Tim's somewhere in
this large parcel of land.

It would be nice to see this one go through ;)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/tibrcr/VaughHarveyDev1.jpg
Credit: Cushman Wakefield

MonctonRad
Mar 5, 2010, 6:13 PM

I agree wholeheartedly...............

This is supposed to be a mixed use development, so I could see a Timmies being included along the front of the development facing Vaughan Harvey Blvd. (but without any direct street access).

On another note................I discovered today that the new stadium at U de M will have a large Jumbotron display for use as a scoreboard and for showing video replays.

That'll be awesome for the CFL games!!! Great for the game atmosphere.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Sony500
Mar 6, 2010, 3:40 PM
I agree wholeheartedly...............

This is supposed to be a mixed use development, so I could see a Timmies being included along the front of the development facing Vaughan Harvey Blvd. (but without any direct street access).

:

Thank you MonctonRad for that input. That is what I was getting at.

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 6, 2010, 4:39 PM

That would be amazing!! Put a tims right there at that corner, move it out of highfield. Also I read an article today in the paper that said Tim's is expanding its locations by up to 900 over the next 3 years. The first half focusing on expanding the brand into western Canada, Quebec and the U.S.A. and the second half focusing on strengthening the brand in and around its existing territories. Perhaps this could be a good time to try and get money and go after Port Elgin, Hillsbourgh, Airport, Scoudouc Industrial Park Interchange etc.

mylesmalley
Mar 6, 2010, 6:34 PM
I worry a bit about Tim Hortons in markets like Moncton. We're completely saturated with coffee chains. There's probably next to no new market to expand into, so opening new locations can only cannibalize from existing stores. I can see locations moving to more convenient spots, but I really doubt we'll see much change in numbers for the next while. Law of diminishing returns and such.

As for strengthening the brand... they've probably got 90% market share in Greater Moncton, in a completely free market. You probably can't get much stronger than that.

MonctonRad
Mar 7, 2010, 8:15 PM
I went for a walk in Mapleton Park today............what a glorious day for a walk! 7 deg Celsius, sunny and no wind.

Several observations:
(1) - There are a lot of people in Moncton with dogs.
(2) - There are a lot of ducks that don't bother flying south any more (global warming anyone?)
(3) - It would really, REALLY, REALLY be nice if the city would pave the parking lots at both the Mapleton and Gorge Rd. entrances to the park. The main trail itself was well maintained but the parking lots were a muddy mess!! :yuck:

pierremoncton
Mar 7, 2010, 11:41 PM
(2) - There are a lot of ducks that don't bother flying south any more (global warming anyone?)

My understanding is that ducks stick around because people feed them (directly or not); no need to move on.

mmmatt
Mar 7, 2010, 11:44 PM
overheard from a friend that the Delta is planning a glass addition to the building to house a large new water-slide for their pool. :)

MonctonRad
Mar 8, 2010, 12:02 AM

Maybe they should go whole hog and build a complete indoor water park like they're planning at the power centre in Truro!

Dmajackson
Mar 8, 2010, 1:29 AM
Can I join the Mocton thread?

The Halifax and Canada sections are ganging up on me and I don't feel overly welcome posting there anymore .... :haha:

mylesmalley
Mar 8, 2010, 2:53 AM
Everyone's welcome haha

riverviewer
Mar 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hey Miles, when are you going to be updating that map of yours? I just clicked on your signature link to see if there was anything new to snoop at. I saw Findlay Park as "Planning Proposed", but you could add the new Sobey's as "Complete" opening on the 19th. The Riverview Town Hall is also complete. And the "Fundy Gateway" has been renamed "Chocolate Station" and is slated for opening this spring. I like the map and would love to see it kept current.

mylesmalley
Mar 8, 2010, 3:07 PM
Out of sight, out of mind haha. It's hard with school, work, life, and not living in Moncton at the moment to keep up with it. I've got grandiose plans of setting it up so that anyone can submit to it, but I just haven't got around to actually coding it.

mylesmalley
Mar 8, 2010, 3:35 PM
In the T&T today

Downtown Moncton needs new development ideas

I guess not everyone at the Transcript reads SPP.

FireEyedBoy
Mar 8, 2010, 5:13 PM
"Several observations:
(1) - There are a lot of people in Moncton with dogs."

There would be even more dog owners in the city if the landlords were not so strict with their no pets policy.. My fiance and I were lucky enough to find a pet friendly landlord.. one of the few I know of in Moncton.. Its a shame so many landlords are so close minded regarding pets.. It seems a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else.. Like my landlord said, he has had tenants cause way more damage than any dog or cat ever did.. said maybe 2% of the total money he put into repairs has been to fix damage caused by an animal. Be nice to see some condos downtown, which are "fingers crossed" pet friendly.

OliverD
Mar 8, 2010, 6:55 PM
"Several observations:
(1) - There are a lot of people in Moncton with dogs."

There would be even more dog owners in the city if the landlords were not so strict with their no pets policy.. My fiance and I were lucky enough to find a pet friendly landlord.. one of the few I know of in Moncton.. Its a shame so many landlords are so close minded regarding pets.. It seems a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else.. Like my landlord said, he has had tenants cause way more damage than any dog or cat ever did.. said maybe 2% of the total money he put into repairs has been to fix damage caused by an animal. Be nice to see some condos downtown, which are "fingers crossed" pet friendly.

Same situation here in Fredericton. Before we purchased our house, we were lucky to find an apartment that allowed pets. We had to pay $50 a month extra for our dog but it was worth it. Oddly enough, higher end places seemed to be more accepting of pets but we didn't want to pay $1200+ a month on rent.

Dmajackson
Mar 8, 2010, 9:12 PM
Out of sight, out of mind haha. It's hard with school, work, life, and not living in Moncton at the moment to keep up with it. I've got grandiose plans of setting it up so that anyone can submit to it, but I just haven't got around to actually coding it.

A few months ago I changed the Compilation Map for HRM to allow anybody I added to the email list change the map (contributors I believe it was called) but nobody took me up on the offer and ever since I've only had the time to update it once a month or so (whenever I do the phototours). Just don't be too surprised if there isn't a massive line-up of people wanting to change the map when you change the coding.

And thanks for the welcome (Halifax forumers seem to improving their mood). :P

And I might be in Moncton for a couple of hours this weekend. I look forward to seeing the changes mentioned on this thread over the last copule of years. :tup:

mmmatt
Mar 8, 2010, 11:59 PM

Maybe they should go whole hog and build a complete indoor water park like they're planning at the power centre in Truro!

Can you imagine if Cadillac Fairview had the forward thinking to make a large indoor water park connecting Crystal Palace and Champlain Mall into a single mega-plex :D:D

Think of the tourist draw for the winter:

-Largest mall in Atlantic Canada
-Largest indoor amusement park in Atlantic Canada
-Largest indoor water park in Atlantic Canada
-Movie theater complex
-Hotel

It would easily put the GLA of the mall into the top 20 of Canada (it is currently 44th)

You could even throw another hotel and an IMAX in there for good measure I'm sure.

kwajo
Mar 9, 2010, 2:12 PM
-Largest mall in Atlantic Canada
-Largest indoor amusement park in Atlantic Canada
-Largest indoor water park in Atlantic Canada
-Movie theater complex
-Hotel

Wow, with all stuff indoors, you'd never have to go outside to see how dull Moncton is! ;)

(I'm just kidding btw)

mylesmalley
Mar 9, 2010, 3:59 PM
We could have re-routed Halls creek indoors and turned it into a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-esque theme park with it's very own chocolate river.

kwajo
Mar 9, 2010, 4:16 PM
We could have re-routed Halls creek indoors and turned it into a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-esque theme park with it's very own chocolate river.
I can see it now...

http://i50.tinypic.com/i44utg.jpg
Oompa Loompa doompadee dub
Welcome to the Maritime's retail hub

MonctonRad
Mar 9, 2010, 11:24 PM
Abridged from the Moncton T&T

Land deal pushes Paul Street work
Published Tuesday March 9th, 2010

Property acquired by Dieppe will allow massive transformation of Paul Street
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Dieppe residents, visitors and shoppers will find out later this week exactly what lies in store for the future of busy Paul Street.

City council officially approved three agreements with major land owners along Paul Street last night that will pave the way for the street's complete reconfiguration and reconstruction, from the underground infrastructure on up.

While details of what the final layout will look like remain under wraps until a news conference on Friday, councillors have had a look at the plans already and say the changes that are coming will be major.

It is not yet known whether the project will follow the original plans which were unveiled in 2008 on the eve of municipal elections. It is widely anticipated that those plans have now changed, at least somewhat.

Those original plans called for a $10-million, three-phase project beginning near Highway 15 (Veterans' Highway) and proceeding southerly to Sunset Street in the first phase. Phase two was to extend from there to Champlain Street, with phase three concentrating around the area of the intersection of Champlain and Paul streets, possibly including access to lands behind the existing Irving Mainway store that is not currently accessible for development.

However, it is clear that residents can expect new intersections, possibly a roundabout near the intersection of Paul and Kennedy streets, new entrances and exits from retailers and services along Paul Street including Crystal Palace and Champlain Place, a median down the middle of the new street and an additional, fifth lane from the four-lane highway between Moncton and Shediac and the area of the region's largest shopping mall.

While the exact look of the new road won't be known until later this week, it is clear that the current mishmash of entrances and exits into and out of the relatively short street's more than 100 businesses -- not even counting those in Champlain Place -- will be changed to promote efficient movement of traffic.

When finished, the entire street will be transformed, including the underground infrastructure, which is also due for replacement.

Decorative lighting akin to what exists now on Champlain Street has long been considered for Paul Street and the original plans call for extending Dieppe's popular riverfront trail along one side of the new street so that people can walk, bicycle or even rollerblade their way to the shopping district.

One side of the street was to feature a more traditional concrete sidewalk along its full length, while electrical and other wires were to be buried to add to the area's aesthetic appeal.

Paul Street is a key entry point to the city as well as one of the main access routes to Champlain Place, which welcomes about 12 million shoppers per year.

JimiThing
Mar 10, 2010, 1:37 PM
I can't wait to see the plans. From what I see we will get a look at what's planned for Paul Street this week. Exiting stuff! :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 10, 2010, 2:24 PM
I can't wait to see the plans. From what I see we will get a look at what's planned for Paul Street this week. Exciting stuff! :tup:

Indeed...but I'm frightened the nightmare it's gonna create in that area of the GMA during construction.

JL

C_Boy
Mar 10, 2010, 3:43 PM
Acadian Bus terminal in Moncton on the move
News 91.9 Staff Mar 10, 2010 09:58:52 AM

After 40 years at the same location, the Acadian Lines bus terminal, located at Main and Bonaccord Streets, is moving.

Acadian is merging its three locations into one, with its new terminal to be situated at Wesley and Victoria Streets.

Renovations at the new site are already underway. They hope to have the new terminal open by mid May.

Maybe I missed something but I din't know about this. I knew there was some activity at the Wesley st site but for those who did not know I guess this explains it.

MonctonRad
Mar 10, 2010, 4:11 PM

This new location may only be a couple of blocks behind city hall but it certainly won't have the visibility of their old location on Main Street.

I wonder what will happen to their old building..................

BlackYear
Mar 10, 2010, 5:55 PM
Acadian Bus terminal in Moncton on the move
News 91.9 Staff Mar 10, 2010 09:58:52 AM

After 40 years at the same location, the Acadian Lines bus terminal, located at Main and Bonaccord Streets, is moving.

Acadian is merging its three locations into one, with its new terminal to be situated at Wesley and Victoria Streets.

Renovations at the new site are already underway. They hope to have the new terminal open by mid May.

Maybe I missed something but I din't know about this. I knew there was some activity at the Wesley st site but for those who did not know I guess this explains it.

That would explain all the digging around which was going on at the corner of St-George & Lester, which was reported by me or another poster about 4 months ago.

I assume the new bus station will stand on the whole block of St-George/Lester/Wesley/Victoria, and St-George street being its main front door entrance.

I always found that the Main street station was always hidden away from view. Hopefully they'll renovate the new location nicely so that the rest of the neighborhood can follow suit. We all know this area of town does need some upgrading.

You have a little strip mall next door, a bar across the street, a variety store next door, and a Tim Horton within walking distance, and I do believe there's a Bed&Breakfast across the street.

I really really really hope they make the new bus station some what classy looking which will improve the look of a neighborhood that has had a bad reputation for several decades.

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 10, 2010, 8:16 PM
So much for it being near the train station...I would have liked it more if they'd moved to a new structure joined to the train station (but that would make sense).

Then if our 'downtown arena' was built in the Highfield location we would have two major transit hubs in one location.

JL

PS> I think city transit should be down there too as a major hub, not necessarily the garage just the downtown hub.

mylesmalley
Mar 10, 2010, 9:30 PM
When has Acadian ever considered logic when choosing locations for their stations? Just look at the broohaha kicked up when they tried to move the bus station in Fredericton to the edge of town!

Dmajackson
Mar 10, 2010, 9:40 PM
When has Acadian ever considered logic when choosing locations for their stations? Just look at the broohaha kicked up when they tried to move the bus station in Fredericton to the edge of town!

They did the same thing in Dartmouth!

It was originally in Highfield Park in the north-end just across from a Metro Transit Terminal that provided easy access for the passengers. For some unknown reason they moved it to an isolated location in Burnside with no access to public buses.

JHikka
Mar 10, 2010, 11:27 PM
As someone who takes the bus to Moncton and arrives there, I like the idea of having the Terminal closer to the denser part of Main St. and downtown rather than near the half-dead Highfield. As of right now, I like the move. If Highfield ends up being developed into something wonderful, then obviously they've moved in the wrong direction, but as of right now I like the decision.

kwajo
Mar 11, 2010, 12:12 AM
Doesn't this make the Saint John to VIA Rail connection even less convenient, or does the bus stop at the train station as well?

MonctonRad
Mar 11, 2010, 12:41 AM

I believe the Acadian Lines bus from Charlottetown stops at the VIA station. I have no idea about the Saint John bus........

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 11, 2010, 1:09 AM

I believe the Acadian Lines bus from Charlottetown stops at the VIA station. I have no idea about the Saint John bus........

I have taken the PEI bus to Moncton before and it stopped at the airport, the train station and then finally the bus station. Same thing going back.

MonctonRad
Mar 11, 2010, 1:15 AM
I heard from a quasi-reliable second hand source today that the old Sobey's location on Coverdale Road in Riverview will indeed become a Lawton's after the store moves to Findlay Park.

This source (whom I shall refer to as Deep Throat) further stated that the old store will serve double duty as some form of a Lawton's distribution facility as well. This is plausible as that building is rather large for just a pharmacy but usually distribution centres are located in industrial parks. Can anyone corroborate this information?

If Lawton's is moving into the old Sobey's location, this would certainly explain why Shoppers Drug Mart is suddenly doing a forklift upgrade on their Coverdale Road location.

The drugstore wars continue...........

kirjtc2
Mar 11, 2010, 2:05 AM

The Fredericton bus does not.

JHikka
Mar 11, 2010, 2:14 AM

The bus travelling from Saint John will stop at the Via Station before stopping at the Moncton Terminal.

When leaving Moncton, the bus will leave the Terminal, travel to the Via Station, and then on to Saint John.

As far as I know, the Fredericton bus does not touch the Via station and goes direct to the Terminal.

Like another poster said, the PEI bus will stop at both the Via Station and the Airport, and i'm assuming the Halifax bus stops at the Airport, as well.

gehrhardt
Mar 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
More lanes, beautification, new layout to move traffic better
A1
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Paul Street in Dieppe will bear little resemblance to its current self after a complete reconfiguration, details of which will be announced by the city this morning.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=464580&size=265x0
BDA Landscape Architects
An artist’s conception of the new intersection of Regis Street, Paul Street and the Champlain Mall main entrance, looking south.

Gone are the Ultramar gas bar and the mini-mall on the east side of Paul Street, across from Crystal Palace and Champlain Place, according to drawings of the new street.

In their place, you'll find a straighter alignment than the current Paul Street, one that passes slightly further to the east, where the two buildings now stand.

Travelling from north to south starting at the Dieppe city limit which is just south of Highway 15 (Veterans' Highway,) motorists will experience noticeable differences, perhaps the biggest change being the switch from four lanes to six. The six lanes will extend from just south of the Shediac-Moncton four-lane highway to an improved entrance to the mall and hotel, directly across from Kennedy Street.

Those six lanes will include four southerly lanes, with dedicated lanes for turning left onto Kennedy Street or right into the mall or hotel-entertainment complex.

The other two lanes will accommodate north-bound traffic heading towards Moncton.

Between Kennedy Street and Regis Street, expect the two smaller entrances to Champlain Place and to Tim Hortons' stand-alone store in the mall parking lot to vanish, to be replaced with a new, second major mall entry point to be located just north of Tim's, directly across from Regent Street. On the east side of Paul Street, motorists will also find a new entrance to the Regis Street Sobeys store, directly off Paul Street.

Paul Street between Kennedy and Regis streets will be comprised of three south-bound lanes (including a dedicated left-turn lane for southbound traffic to turn left onto Regis Street) and two northbound lanes which turn into three lanes at Kennedy Street, to accommodate a left-turn left for northbound traffic to turn into Champlain Place.

Regis Street, now just two lanes, will become five, with two eastbound lanes and three heading west, including dedicated lanes for going straight across Paul Street and into Champlain Place or turning left or right onto Paul Street.

Southward beyond Regis Street, expect Paul Street to revert to two southbound lanes and three northbound lanes, including a dedicated left-turn lane allowing northbound traffic to more easily turn left into Champlain Place, Tim Hortons or Burger King from Paul Street.

Decorative medians are expected along some parts of Paul Street to help separate traffic, and the sides of the street will feature oversized (three metres or almost six feet) sidewalks, with decorative lamp posts. Extensive landscaping is also expected to be undertaken once the project is finished.

Noticeably absent from the drawings are any roundabouts or traffic circles.

This morning at an 11 a.m. news conference, the city will get into the details of the project, which is likely to take a few years considering underground infrastructure such as water pipes and natural gas lines are also likely to be replaced as part of the project. Funding details are also expected to be announced this morning. The Province of New Brunswick will chip in about $700,000, Bernard LeBlanc, Liberal MLA for Memramcook-Lakeville-Dieppe said yesterday.

The original plan called for a three-stage, three-year, $12-million rebuild and reconfiguration of the busy street, but those plans were drawn up more than two years -- and one municipal election -- ago, and some changes to the original blueprints or timetable are possible.

pierremoncton
Mar 12, 2010, 1:04 PM
Full-size images (canadaeast.com/Times & Transcript):

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=464579&

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=464580&

kwajo
Mar 12, 2010, 1:44 PM
More lanes, beautification, new layout to move traffic better

'More lanes' and 'beautification' never belong in the same sentence.

MonctonRad
Mar 12, 2010, 1:58 PM
'More lanes' and 'beautification' never belong in the same sentence.

Fair enough, but this will still be an improvement over how things look now.

Welcome to greater Moncton - where the car rules all, and urban sprawl rather than densification is worshipped!

BlackYear
Mar 12, 2010, 2:51 PM
See all those nice trees and lamp post with no power lines, that's what I'm talking about for the full length of St-George street.

Come on Moncton city planners, get'er done!

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 12, 2010, 2:56 PM
If they actually plant all those trees I'll be very impressed, and I'm never impressed with Dieppe.

MonctonRad
Mar 12, 2010, 3:12 PM
It will be the Dieppe version of Vaughan Harvey Boulevard............and I generally like Vaughan Harvey, it makes a nice cross-town route. :)

mylesmalley
Mar 12, 2010, 3:36 PM
I have to add my name to the list of people who doubt we'll ever see those trees planted, especially the ones on the medians.

As MonctonRad said, this really will be an improvement. Paul Street is in terrible shape. The lanes are inconsistent, it seems narrow for a road of its importance, and connecting streets meet at inconsistent and inefficiently designed intersections. In all fairness too, that part of the city is becoming significantly denser than it once was. Lewisville Road has seen a lot of hotel and apartment construction in the last three years. There are a lot of mid-sized buildings in the Regis St and Gauvin Rd area. Even very dense cities need some multi-lane streets.

I especially welcome the addition of a dedicated lane from the ramp off the traffic circle/rt 15. Cars backing all the way on to the circle waitng for their chance to merge onto Paul St are literally a serious accident waiting to happen.

mmmatt
Mar 12, 2010, 3:44 PM
This is great news for the whole region...6 lanes will really ease the traffic in that area. The street is currently one of the worst in the metro area, it is like driving through a bombed out war-zone, and has been for quite a while. I also am glad to see some greenery involved as there is a complete lack of the stuff as it stands right now.

Here's hoping one of the worst streets will end up one of the best! :)

JimiThing
Mar 12, 2010, 7:36 PM
Looking at the renderings I notices that the Garden Breeze Restaurant will now
be on the corner of Kennedy And Paul. That's great for them. I always thought
that restaurant was out of sight, out of mind.

Overall Looks Great!.... Let the mud flinging, cursing and traffic backups begin ;)

Phil_5
Mar 12, 2010, 8:54 PM
Wow! Paul st. will look awesome after all that reconstruction.
I especially like those trees in the median. :)

pierremoncton
Mar 12, 2010, 8:56 PM
I hope that they'll actually plant all the trees as shown. It'll look sterile and desolate otherwise (function notwithstanding). I'm concerned that the owners of the tuxedo shop and of that electronic billboard may have objections to lost exposure due to a green screen, though.

MonctonRad
Mar 13, 2010, 2:04 AM
New Riverview school project not delayed
Published Friday March 12th, 2010

But there's still no definitive word on when land will be purchased and the project will move forward
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

Developing a new school in the east end of Riverview is still a top priority for town council, who said they have faith the file is being moved along by the province and hasn't been delayed.

"I don't think there's going to be a delay there. There are some little hitches in the processes as you go through, but this does involve some land or possible purchase of land, there is a business side, that I really can't get into," said Riverview Mayor Clarence Sweetland, adding the town is negotiating with land owners in the area and with the province to make sure the school becomes a reality.

The new proposed school, to be built in the town's east end, is expected to replace the aging Gunningsville and Lower Coverdale schools.

While a construction start date has not been announced, the province said in a January news release that the estimated completion date for the K-8 school, which is expected to accommodate 650 students, is September 2012.

The issue was brought up at Monday's council meeting by Deputy Mayor Claude Curwin, who wanted to form a committee to ensure the file was expedited.

Following the public meeting, councillors met in closed council to discuss some specifics regarding the process. Shane Thomson, the town's director of economic development, said council's discussion concerned confidential details of the land negotiation and purchase processes, which are "currently underway."

"As far as we're concerned the school is moving forward full speed. The Department of Education has given us every indication that they're anxious to get the project moving forward," he said.

Yesterday, Department of Education spokeswoman Geneviève Mallet-Chiasson confirmed that they are currently in the process of getting educational specifications completed in cooperation with the school district, as well as working with Supply and Services on land acquisition and planning processes leading to the selection of a vendor to construct and operate the new P3 school.

"My understanding is that the province would like to acquire the land by late spring, by I think May or June (of this year)," Thomson said. "They've discussed with us having the school ready to open for the 2012 school year."

Councillor-at-large Don Lenehan said the idea behind forming a committee within council was to simply monitor the progress of the school and to have people who could then pass that information on to the rest of the council and the general public.

"This is definitely not a case of us not having faith in town staff, because we have all the faith in the world in our staff in stepping up. We have all the faith in the world in the province, it's just if there is a delay or a hiccup (we want to know about it)," he said. "We want to be involved, we want to be engaged, we want to make sure we can do the very best for the community."

Lenehan said one thing he wants to ensure is that the new school is a multi-purpose facility, while also taking into consideration the needs and requests of all involved stakeholders.

"Also part of this is to over the next few months or year or so is to bring in community partners and work together to make sure everything we want at the school on behalf of the parents and parents groups is there," he said.

I was under the impression that the town already had land available near the proposed Bridgedale Blvd. where they wanted to build both the new Gunningsville School and a civic recreation centre..........if so, why is the province involved in negotiating with property owners regarding purchasing a site for the new school?

riverviewer
Mar 13, 2010, 6:55 AM
Love the new Paul Street. Can't help wondering about the traffic jams during the project though. Where's the detour?

I was under the impression that the town already had land available near the proposed Bridgedale Blvd. where they wanted to build both the new Gunningsville School and a civic recreation centre..........if so, why is the province involved in negotiating with property owners regarding purchasing a site for the new school

The town was offering land to the province. The province may not have found that parcel suitable. Plus the proposed Bridgedale Blvd may not be built in time for the construction of the school to proceed on their timeline.

David_99
Mar 13, 2010, 1:52 PM
Love the new Paul Street. Can't help wondering about the traffic jams during the project though. Where's the detour?

The new street is going to be wider and in some cases, be built over existing buildings ie the gas station(I believe), the old M&M mini-mall and into a few existing parking lots along the way. I assume they'll start with that side of the street, out of the way. When finished, re-route traffic onto that side while working on the existing side. We'll probably lose a lane or two but that's inevitable. When working on the Kennedy intersection, we'll probably have to turn onto Regis and visa versa.

Sony500
Mar 13, 2010, 3:56 PM
Now if Dieppe and Moncton could get together somehow and make the drive from each city easier. There are only two entrances to Dieppe from Moncton, not including Dieppe Blvd. from Highway 15. Need a few bridges somewhere.

mylesmalley
Mar 13, 2010, 5:00 PM
There really should be an interchange off route 15 somewhere near CCNB Dieppe connecting Champlain Street and Shediac Road.

MonctonRad
Mar 14, 2010, 2:25 PM
There really should be an interchange off route 15 somewhere near CCNB Dieppe connecting Champlain Street and Shediac Road.

I agree but I think widening the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd. overpass over rt. 15 should take priority. That structure is already inadequate, and Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd. has already morphed into the major crosstown route for the east end of the metropolitan area. The traffic will only worsen when Plaza Corp. builds their new retail development on the northeast corner of that interchange in the next couple of years.............

Also, I think a proper airport interchange off the 15 should be constructed in the next five years.

Sony500
Mar 14, 2010, 2:57 PM
I agree with you MonctonRad, but that is another situation. There needs to be more access to go from Downtown Moncton to Dieppe. There is not enough access inbetween the two cities. Its not like they have to set up border patrols.