PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Jan 13, 2018, 3:56 PM
City of Moncton press release:

Building permits have strong finish in 2017; big projects still on the horizon
January 12, 2018

MONCTON – The City of Moncton broke another record for annual value of construction permits, and did so without the direct benefit of the Events Centre structure, which was included in 2016 numbers.

The year ending December 31, 2017 saw $243.4 million in building permits issued by the City of Moncton, up $1.7 million over 2016 figures. The trailing 10-year average rose by over ten million dollars to $177 million, ranging from a low of $128 million seen in both 2008 and 2015, to the 2017 high of over $243 million.

Commercial and industrial projects were strong through the year, coming in at $99 million or 41% of the total. While this is shy of 2016’s $162 million, it does beat that year’s values by close to $30 million when not factoring permits for the Events Centre structure. The largest drivers of this development included the Organigram facility expansion at $26.5 million, a new cold storage facility ($11.5 million), a new hotel off Mapleton Rd. ($10.5 million), and a new precision medicine lab on Providence St. ($7.9 million).

“We are very pleased with the strong and consistent level of growth that we are seeing,” explained Mayor Dawn Arnold. “The private sector continues to show tremendous confidence in Moncton, and we are working to keep this positive momentum going.”

Institutional permits came in at $76.9 million or 32% of the total, up more than three-fold from $17.5 million in 2016. Some of the larger projects driving this increase included $51.8 million from the new surgical suites at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre, a $6.3 million renovation of the Federal building at 1081 Main St., and a $5.2 million renovation at Harrison Trimble High School.

Residential development represented 26% of the year’s total value at $62.7 million, up $4.3 million from 2016. Notable projects included the 55 Queen St. condo development valued at $21.9 million, 57 single unit homes valued at $10.3 million, 92 duplex units valued at $10 million, and 4 apartment buildings containing 191 units, valued at $14.7 million.

“We are finding a stride that seems to be working well on many fronts”, said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We continue to engage with our partners, and our clients genuinely appreciate being supported in a cooperative manner that gets them to a place where they can work at a strategic level.”

Several large projects have already been publicly announced and are expected to break ground in 2018, including The Junction Urban Village at Main St. and Vaughn Harvey Blvd., as well as the Hyatt Hotel adjacent to the Events Centre site.

MonctonRad
Jan 24, 2018, 8:11 PM
Here's a link to the pdf of the Greater Moncton Region Economic Development Strategic Plan, just released today:

http://3plus.ca/documents/3Plus_Plan_ENG.pdf?mc_cid=f34769caf5&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

tmacdougall
Jan 25, 2018, 3:19 PM
In today's newspaper

Invitation to submit an expression of interest as to the availability of space for lease in Moncton, NB.

Public Works and Government Services Canada is asking interested parties to submit a response by Feb. 21, 2018, with respect to providing office space for lease in building in Moncton, for a term of 10 years commencing on or about July 1st, 2019.

Is this related to Fisheries and Oceans? Any ideas what this would be?

L'homard
Jan 25, 2018, 3:32 PM
DFO is supposed to expand in a significant way, so I would not be surprised.
THough I thought they were just gonna build an addition on the building, not that they have much room to grow on Archibald St,/Universite Ave. or whatever that street is called today.
It would make sense to find space elsewhere, as they are moving some laboratories to Moncton, which don't have to go in the actual DFO building after all.

MonctonRad
Jan 27, 2018, 1:58 AM
Flash Festival - downtown Moncton February 2-3rd. Should be interesting.

vGeJ3S2saYU

This is what they have planned for Assumption Place:

FC0TE4nIEKw

lirette
Jan 27, 2018, 1:22 PM
Flash Festival - downtown Moncton February 2-3rd. Should be interesting.

vGeJ3S2saYU

This is what they have planned for Assumption Place:

FC0TE4nIEKw

My understanding is like festival inspire, they will leave behind some permanent installations that the city can enjoy year round. Will be interesting to see what these look like.

Philbilly
Jan 28, 2018, 6:32 AM
Press Release - Greater Moncton business community teams up to take Regional Economic Development to the next level. http://3plus.ca/news/news-48

Communiqué de presse - La communauté d'affaires du Grand Moncton fait front commun pour stimuler le développement économique régional. http://3plus.ca/nouvelles/news-48

Wolkenkratzerliebhab
Jan 31, 2018, 12:40 PM
Google Earth has now added Moncton in 3D!

MonctonRad
Jan 31, 2018, 1:13 PM
:previous:

Thanks! Will check it out. :)

MonctonRad
Feb 1, 2018, 9:37 PM
Here are some 3D Google Street View images I saved:

Downtown

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4620/39318150404_63a1a8a41f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22UpNhU)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4624/39318152274_41010aed0b_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22UpNR9)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4706/39318153974_27c3f8e888_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22UpPms)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4619/39318157784_ba9f1472e6_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22UpQu9)

Magnetic Hill

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4649/26155457888_106124b6bd_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FRgyou)

gehrhardt
Feb 2, 2018, 1:01 PM
I guess it says something that Moncton High is outside the boundary of the 3D rendered part of Moncton. :haha:

MonctonRad
Feb 2, 2018, 1:06 PM
I guess it says something that Moncton High is outside the boundary of the 3D rendered part of Moncton. :haha:

Indeed - Right out there by the Kent County line........ :rolleyes:

Blue Blazer
Feb 6, 2018, 3:18 PM
Indeed - Right out there by the Kent County line........ :rolleyes:

Question how many parking spots are going to be at the new downtown arena ? I see the colesium right now has 1800 as per a cbc post on facebook, and did they decide if they are going to charge people to park ?

MonctonRad
Feb 6, 2018, 4:05 PM
Question how many parking spots are going to be at the new downtown arena ? I see the colesium right now has 1800 as per a cbc post on facebook, and did they decide if they are going to charge people to park ?

There are a handful of on street metered spaces for handicapped people. Otherwise there is NO parking for the new events centre. It's up to you to find a safe parking spot in the core not patrolled by booters - good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Blue Blazer
Feb 7, 2018, 1:39 PM
There are a handful of on street metered spaces for handicapped people. Otherwise there is NO parking for the new events centre. It's up to you to find a safe parking spot in the core not patrolled by booters - good luck!!! :rolleyes:

That is weird you think they would have at least some parking. for the new events center. Even if you had to pay 3-4$ to park. Could be a turn off for some people from out of town who might want to come in and check out a wildcats game.

Ire Narissis
Feb 7, 2018, 2:42 PM
Check out the dedicated thread for the Events Centre; it's been non-stop chitchat about the parking quandary for, like, 2-3 months now. :)

Scarface
Feb 7, 2018, 4:26 PM
That is weird you think they would have at least some parking. for the new events center. Even if you had to pay 3-4$ to park. Could be a turn off for some people from out of town who might want to come in and check out a wildcats game.

They keep saying we have public transportation. But I don't want to be on public transport 2 hours to get there, and pay 30-35$ taxi to get back home for games.

trev71
Feb 8, 2018, 2:13 AM
They keep saying we have public transportation. But I don't want to be on public transport 2 hours to get there, and pay 30-35$ taxi to get back home for games.

I go to a few games a year from Fredericton. Would be very hard to take a taxi. Unless I stay downtown for the night but I do t do that too often. I personally don't mind paying for parking. Just have it get downtown early enough to get a parking spot

MonctonRad
Feb 8, 2018, 3:09 AM
I go to a few games a year from Fredericton. Would be very hard to take a taxi. Unless I stay downtown for the night but I do t do that too often. I personally don't mind paying for parking. Just have it get downtown early enough to get a parking spot

Yes. The downtown events centre is designed for a casual fan such as yourself. You're only coming to a few games per year, so you are more than likely to consider it a special event and go out to eat before the game. If you are able to arrive early (to go to the restaurant), then there should be plenty of paid parking options for you to consider. Just make sure your lot is clearly labelled as a public paid parking lot (no booters!!!!!)

I'm a season ticket holder and you'll likely be interested in this communication we just recieved

I just received the e-mail for season ticket holders too. While the city has been ignoring us, it sounds as if Mr. Irving has been listening to our protestations loud and clear. A pass for seasons ticket holders ensuring parking privileges sounds like the way to go. Now all we need to find out is how much this pass will cost. $10 per night would be $340 per year (regular season only), which is too much. I doubt that the base would agree to much more than about $150 per year. We'll see.

Scarface
Feb 10, 2018, 8:03 PM
Not sure if this has gone public, or not but there is a small but vocal group who seem to be against the NIMBY's here in Moncton. There will potentially be an attempt to call for lower taxes on expanding up instead of outHigher taxes on expanding out instead of up, and also a push to add density in downtown Moncton. I seen a facebook group where they where talking about this, and ent to grab screen shots only to have FB delete the group aparently they had some things there that broke FB ToS. Either that, or NIMBY's got mad, and false flagged the group as a hate group.

This comes at a strange time Since people where talking about a push for wooden structures to be from 3 to 6 floors in some parts of Canada, and on the 1st of this month the Economist added this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DPp2NcnTb0
on there Youtube page it talks about wooden skyscrapers, and how it would be posible with CLT (Cross Laminated Timber).

trev71
Feb 11, 2018, 11:48 PM
Yes. The downtown events centre is designed for a casual fan such as yourself. You're only coming to a few games per year, so you are more than likely to consider it a special event and go out to eat before the game. If you are able to arrive early (to go to the restaurant), then there should be plenty of paid parking options for you to consider. Just make sure your lot is clearly labelled as a public paid parking lot (no booters!!!!!)

I just received the e-mail for season ticket holders too. While the city has been ignoring us, it sounds as if Mr. Irving has been listening to our protestations loud and clear. A pass for seasons ticket holders ensuring parking privileges sounds like the way to go. Now all we need to find out is how much this pass will cost. $10 per night would be $340 per year (regular season only), which is too much. I doubt that the base would agree to much more than about $150 per year. We'll see.

Thanks for the tip. What is the fee (cost) these days for a boot. I never had got one before *knock on wood* I know I seen a guy put one on someones car at a bank parking lot in Fredericton a few years back

MonctonRad
Feb 11, 2018, 11:57 PM

Something ridiculous like $185

MonctonRad
Feb 12, 2018, 2:43 PM
Cruisin' downtown Moncton (Youtube video) - not bad......

2o5uSB3_okE

MonctonRad
Feb 15, 2018, 11:00 PM
The Municipal Capital Borrowing Board is having a hearing in Fredericton on March 12th regarding a borrowing request from the City of Moncton (standard operating procedure). This year, the city is looking to borrow ~$34M for various sundry purposes. Amongst all the items listed on the request, a few are of interest:

$200k - food service area, Magnetic Hill
$200k - paving and fountain, Magnetic Hill
$250k - infrastructure & development, Magnetic Hill Zoo
$250k - wall of fame, Downtown Centre
$801k - land & remediation, Downtown Centre
$3,077k - outdoor rink & venue, Downtown Centre
$3,700k - beach replacement, Centennial Park
$3,989k - park and trail development
$1,500k - North End Community Centre
$407k - sidewalk extension, Mapleton Road

There are other items, but these are the ones I found most interesting.

The $1.5M for the North End Community Centre is presumably for initial design work. The $407k for sidewalk extension on Mapleton Road is presumably to extend the sidewalk north of the TCH because of the growing commercial cluster there.

Bishop2047
Feb 22, 2018, 7:57 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/cabela-s-moncton-closed-store-1.4546733

Cruddy news but I suppose it should have been expected with the bass pro so close, and not needing to compete with themselves.

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2018, 2:11 PM
So, cabinet has apparently approved another new school to be built in Moncton over the next 2-3 years, this time a francophone K-8 school. There is no indication (as of yet) where it will be built.

So, in the next 2-4 years we are going to see these new schools being built:
- Anglophone middle school in the northwest end
- Anglophone replacement school for Hillcrest/Bessborough in the west end.
- Francophone K-8 school somewhere in the city of Moncton.

All this while finishing up construction on the new Francophone K-8 school on Dieppe Blvd, and the spate of other new school construction in the metro area over the last 10 years, including Moncton High School.........

Ammn_guy
Feb 23, 2018, 2:32 PM
Wondering if its for Elmwood/Crowly farm/vision lands area, since Champlain moved its fairly far away from Mascaret. I think the irishtown/ammon area kids are bussed way over to shediac rd.

It could logically replace the againg st henri at the same time if it needed to.

So, cabinet has apparently approved another new school to be built in Moncton over the next 2-3 years, this time a francophone K-8 school. There is no indication (as of yet) where it will be built.

All this while finishing up construction on the new Francophone K-8 school on Dieppe Blvd, and the spate of other new school construction in the metro area over the last 10 years, including Moncton High School.........

Scarface
Feb 23, 2018, 5:23 PM

Actually the for the Francophone K-8 School they stated that they are planing to start construction as early as next year acording to the comments from the Education minister.

Also I'm wondering somethin For the English replacement School they say 1.5 Million is set aside for planning but for the Francophone school they stated 2 Million dollars for land aquisition.

Originally Posted by Ammn_guy
Wondering if its for Elmwood/Crowly farm/vision lands area, since Champlain moved its fairly far away from Mascaret. I think the irishtown/ammon area kids are bussed way over to shediac rd.

It could logically replace the againg st henri at the same time if it needed to.

Althought I would agree with you in theory I don't beleive they will be replacing St Henri. The school has undergone some massive renovations since I've gone there the area I had gone to 3rd, and 4th grade is no longer a 4 level red brick building but a single story Main entrance + they did some major cleaning, and replacing all the heating units as well. There is also the Fact that Saint-Henri is curently still one of the major School for the North End.

MonctonRad
Feb 24, 2018, 3:27 PM
Things to do in Moncton this week:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28235446_1857420484268525_2842357962807456141_o.jpg?oh=1b2d0a209382f85b36197f9b3687b979&oe=5B0E2492

BTW - What bar has that neat tin ceiling and chandeliers? That looks really neat!!

lirette
Feb 24, 2018, 5:11 PM
Its Third Glass wine bar on main street. Moncton is lucky to have a place like this, I've only been 2-3 times ($$$) but you do not feel like you are in DT Moncton while you are inside. Feels like a bar you would see in Montreal, or NYC.

Believe the chandelier and some of the other decor was imported from Europe.

lirette
Feb 26, 2018, 11:18 PM
A new not-for-profit organization was launched today

https://www.facebook.com/lovenbamour/

https://fortheloveofnewbrunswick.ca/

A group whos vision is to gear NBers to change their spending habits 5% towards using NB products and services without spending any additional money

Looks like they will launch their campaign in the spring. Looks awesome! I truely believe in the merit of thinking that we cannot expect the government to fix all of our problems, and sometimes reading the posts here can be exhausting due to that issue.

Lots of videos up on their website and facebook page.

Ifyoubuildit
Feb 27, 2018, 4:03 AM
A new not-for-profit organization was launched today

https://www.facebook.com/lovenbamour/

https://fortheloveofnewbrunswick.ca/

A group whos vision is to gear NBers to change their spending habits 5% towards using NB products and services without spending any additional money

Looks like they will launch their campaign in the spring. Looks awesome! I truely believe in the merit of thinking that we cannot expect the government to fix all of our problems, and sometimes reading the posts here can be exhausting due to that issue.

Lots of videos up on their website and facebook page.

Agreed 100%. We can only make NB a better place for ourselves and generations to come if we start looking at the glass half full and how WE (not our gov’t) can fill it! This is an awesome idea and time for us all to roll up our sleeves.

MonctonRad
Feb 28, 2018, 11:51 PM
Some stats on MID (Moncton & Caledonia Industrial Parks), from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page:

Since 1993 (25 years), MID has:

• Sold 856.53 acres/ avg of 35.69 acres per year
• Generated $24 Million in gross sales values (slightly over $1 Million per year avg.)
• Increased the City’s tax base by $400 Million – 294% (represents 12.25% annual growth) from $134Million to $533Million
• Comparative tax revenues increased (based on today’s tax rate) by $9.963 Million 1993 and 2017 – at today’s tax rate 1993 tax base would generate $3.35 Million compared to $13.32 generated in 2017).

Last 5 years, MID has:

• Combined tax base grew by $102Million over last 5 years - $431Million to $533Million – represents 1⁄4 of the previous 24 years of tax base growth
• Combined tax base/annual growth – 23.85% over past 5 years – avg. 4.77%
• Most recent figures tracked over 8000 people employed in our parks, with
over 360 different companies.
• Generated $6.34 Million in gross sales values (over $1.26 Million per year
avg) since 2013

Scarface
Mar 9, 2018, 12:17 AM
Does anyone have any info on Soegao Indian Reserve No. 35 Just West of Moncton, and South of Berry Mills. All I got is that it's an administrative part of the Elsipogtog First Nation. Also know it was purchased by the Elsipogtog First Nation in 2017.

It's just a masive wood lot.

L'homard
Mar 9, 2018, 1:09 PM
The Elsipogtog first nation bought it a long time ago. Elsipogtog then started the process to annex the property to that first nation a decade or so ago. (I know you're saying they bought it in 2017 but I am confident that is not so - perhaps that was some sort of paper transaction as I know for a fact they bought it a long, long time ago.)
I have zero knowledge of who or what Soegao is.
Initially the plan was to put a casino/hotel/convention centre on the land but that was more than a decade ago and I've heard nothing since. I hope this is a bit helpful.

EDIT: After some thought, I do recall the first nation stating publicly that the casino idea was merely a rumour and not a priority of theirs for that land. They wanted to building a hotel, convention centre, gas bar, some stores and a training centre for firefighters and paramedics.

MonctonRad
Mar 9, 2018, 2:57 PM
It's not uncommon for First Nations bands to purchase lands along major traffic corridors and/or on the fringes of major centres. Many First Nations are in remote areas, and if they are looking for revenue streams to support themselves, it makes sense to get new land in more developable locations.

The Red Bank FN recently bought this land off of Harrisville Blvd south of the TCH in Moncton:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/37312933790_e1f104c91a_b.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they're going to go so far as actually incorporating this property directly into their reserve, paying the city of Moncton "in kind" for lost property tax revenue.

Scarface
Mar 9, 2018, 7:04 PM
The Elsipogtog first nation bought it a long time ago. Elsipogtog then started the process to annex the property to that first nation a decade or so ago. (I know you're saying they bought it in 2017 but I am confident that is not so - perhaps that was some sort of paper transaction as I know for a fact they bought it a long, long time ago.)
I have zero knowledge of who or what Soegao is.
Initially the plan was to put a casino/hotel/convention centre on the land but that was more than a decade ago and I've heard nothing since. I hope this is a bit helpful.

EDIT: After some thought, I do recall the first nation stating publicly that the casino idea was merely a rumour and not a priority of theirs for that land. They wanted to building a hotel, convention centre, gas bar, some stores and a training centre for firefighters and paramedics.

It's not uncommon for First Nations bands to purchase lands along major traffic corridors and/or on the fringes of major centres. Many First Nations are in remote areas, and if they are looking for revenue streams to support themselves, it makes sense to get new land in more developable locations.

The Red Bank FN recently bought this land off of Harrisville Blvd south of the TCH in Moncton:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4469/37312933790_e1f104c91a_b.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they're going to go so far as actually incorporating this property directly into their reserve, paying the city of Moncton "in kind" for lost property tax revenue.

I did find out that it was only incorporated into the reserve in 2017 making it no longer taxable by the government. I din't think first nations would ever pay taxes on purchased land. But aparently it takes time to incorporate land into the Reserve therefore making it untaxable afterwards.

kirjtc2
Mar 9, 2018, 11:14 PM

I want to say they did buy the land for the purpose of their casino application back around 2008, before they lost out to the Casino NB group.

L'homard
Mar 10, 2018, 2:24 AM
They said that hey never applied to open a casino.

Scarface
Mar 10, 2018, 8:34 AM
They said that hey never applied to open a casino.

I've been looking into the Elsipogtog ownership it seems a gas station, and potentially restaurant. Along side with a Tim hortons, and Fast Food burger restaurant might have been planned for the area West of Moncton. Potential with a Motel, and Restaurant across the Highway. Hence owning the 2 sides of the Highway but with Motels trying to stay open it's a little hard to make a motel work, and a gas station that far out of the city I doubt people would go unless there road conection had access not only from the TCH but from public roads in the area as well.

As for the Metepanagiag FN Development Off Harisville Road. I'm really not sure why anything has yet to be done. I think there purchasing the land, and planing development was for them to jump on the Harrisville development train early, and because several projects where either cancelled, or curently at a stand still the Metepanagiag FN Development is likelly also at a stand still untill further notice.

Since they don't pay taxes on the land it does not cost them anything wether they keep it, or sell it if I'm corect. So why not keep the land untill the oportunity to develop it finally comes to fruition. I think that might be there mindset as well.

David_99
Mar 13, 2018, 3:38 PM
https://s9.postimg.org/acyv535r3/delete.jpg

-Times&Transcript

NBNYer
Mar 13, 2018, 3:53 PM
Interesting. If Chapters were to move to CF Champlain as Indigo, then that would free up enough space for an IMAX there, although the roof would likely need to be raised. The Trinity theater would likely need to move to accomodate an IMAX.

MonctonRad
Mar 13, 2018, 3:57 PM
Very interesting. :tup:

I can envisage several scenarios:

1) - Cineplex Trinity Drive - this theatre complex needs to be renovated. I could see them sacrificing one or two of the existing auditoriums to allow an IMAX to be installed as part of the renovations.

2) - Cineplex Dieppe - if located here, this could be part of a bigger plan including a possible Rec Room (also owned by Cineplex). If Chapters were rebranded as Indigo and relocated to the old Sears space in the main mall at CF Champlain Place, this would free up space in the old Crystal Palace building for both an IMAX and a Rec Room. This could be quite exciting!!

3) - New Brunswick Museum - The government of NB has recently announced that the NB Museum will be relocated to the old Coast Guard site on the Saint John waterfront. It is not uncommon for IMAX screens to be located in museums. This could be a possibility. The problem with this however is that museum IMAX's don't often screen IMAX format commercial films. I think this is the least likely possibility.

Ammn_guy
Mar 13, 2018, 5:29 PM
costco would make a good theatre - minus the parking. very visible, big shell of a building.

Would make more sense near/attached the mall though.

1) - Cineplex Trinity Drive - this theatre complex needs to be renovated. I could see them sacrificing one or two of the existing auditoriums to allow an IMAX to be installed as part of the renovations.

2) - Cineplex Dieppe - if located here, this could be part of a bigger plan including a possible Rec Room (also owned by Cineplex). If Chapters were rebranded as Indigo and relocated to the old Sears space in the main mall at CF Champlain Place, this would free up space in the old Crystal Palace building for both an IMAX and a Rec Room. This could be quite exciting!!

3) - New Brunswick Museum - The government of NB has recently announced that the NB Museum will be relocated to the old Coast Guard site on the Saint John waterfront. It is not uncommon for IMAX screens to be located in museums. This could be a possibility. The problem with this however is that museum IMAX's don't often screen IMAX format commercial films. I think this is the least likely possibility.

Scarface
Mar 23, 2018, 5:30 PM
a $288k + Accesible play structure has been aproved for Centenial park.

I'm actually see this as being a positive for the park, and city as well, and would like to see this happening in other parks in Greater Moncton.

TMA-1
Mar 23, 2018, 8:41 PM
Trinity site is tilt-up construction and probably impossible to 'expand'. What is done, at least here in Ottawa, is install a big screen, projector and sound system in the largest house and call it IMAX.

CWC

Scarface
Mar 23, 2018, 9:43 PM
Trinity site is tilt-up construction and probably impossible to 'expand'. What is done, at least here in Ottawa, is install a bog screen, projector and sound system in the largest house and call it IMAX.

CWC

Hence why people have said costco would make a good theatre - minus the parking. very visible, big shell of a building.

ErickMontreal
Apr 2, 2018, 10:26 PM
TD Bank EasyLine Center

I have heard from a reliable source that TD Bank is also looking at the former RBC space on St-George St.

MonctonRad
Apr 7, 2018, 3:04 AM
City of Moncton press release:

Commercial development leads the way to start building permit activity in 2018
April 6, 2018

MONCTON – The total value of permits for the first quarter ending March 31st came in at $18.2 million, with 121 permits issued.

In contrast, there was $60.8 million through 162 permits issued during the same period last year, due to two particularly large projects combined for $39 million of that amount (OrganiGram and 55 Queen).

The average level of development for the first three calendar months over the past five years is about $27 million, and two of the last five years saw less than $10 million of activity during the first quarter.

Commercial activity represented 63 per cent of the quarter’s total, coming in at $11.4 million. This included a $5.5 million expansion at Moncton Honda and a new $2.2 million auto dealership on Lewisville Road. Residential building permits came in with 3-month totals of $3.6 million, driven by a $2 million apartment building on Lady Russell Street.

Institutional permits accounted for $2.7 million, or 15 per cent, of the quarter’s activity, with much of that coming from an emergency power facility at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre worth $1.8 million.

“We should start to see some larger projects turn in the second quarter to bring activity back to levels we’ve been seeing in recent years”, said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We are particularly eager to see upcoming development in our Downtown core and around the new Events Centre.”

Feneant
Apr 9, 2018, 10:23 AM
[I][COLOR="Red"]
This included a $5.5 million expansion at Moncton Honda and a new $2.2 million auto dealership on Lewisville Road.

Which dealership is this?

MonctonRad
Apr 9, 2018, 10:25 AM
Which dealership is this?

Kia

Feneant
Apr 9, 2018, 10:26 AM
Kia

Oh, that's boring and not technically new either... When they said new dealership I thought maybe a new brand was coming to Moncton.

MonctonRad
Apr 9, 2018, 11:28 AM
Oh, that's boring and not technically new either... When they said new dealership I thought maybe a new brand was coming to Moncton.

Agree on both counts, but this is how the City of Moncton press release was worded, and I just copied and pasted it verbatim.

MonctonRad
Apr 11, 2018, 12:44 PM
So, what city in Canada has the most active job market in the country? - Moncton (according to Huffington Post).
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/10/the-best-and-worst-cities-in-canada-to-find-a-job_a_23406905/

RedBall
Apr 11, 2018, 2:09 PM
So, what city in Canada has the most active job market in the country? - Moncton (according to Huffington Post).
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/10/the-best-and-worst-cities-in-canada-to-find-a-job_a_23406905/

Saint John is first worst.. That's not good!

OliverD
Apr 11, 2018, 2:23 PM
Doesn't seem to mean a lot if you can go from worst to first in one year.

NB_ExistsToo
Apr 11, 2018, 2:25 PM
Saint John is first worst.. That's not good!

It does say right in the article, that Moncton was ranked last merely 1 year ago. So as much as these rankings can reflect on the city, smaller cities like Moncton and Saint John can turn around their fortunes quicker than some of the larger size cities listed.

I will say Saint John has had a lot of investment this previous/current year, likely due to the crummy market making it ripe for the picking... So we could see SJ in the top 10 next year of these investment ideas pan out.

Sandbagger
Apr 11, 2018, 4:09 PM
Right now, when I do a Google search for Moncton the photo that shows up is clearly not Moncton, but Montreal :???:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/35ktwrp.jpg

It is a link from this article that grabbed it from a Fotolia stock image account. http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/moncton-n-b-tops-for-low-cost-business-operations

I'm curious how long it has been like this. This is prominent spot to have such an error.

MonctonRad
Apr 11, 2018, 4:17 PM

Not the first time this has happened. I remember back when we were one of the host cities for the FIFA Women's World Cup, they used a picture of the wrong city for Moncton too (Vancouver if I recall correctly). :haha:

Scarface
Apr 11, 2018, 6:22 PM
Right now, when I do a Google search for Moncton the photo that shows up is clearly not Moncton, but Montreal :???:

http://oi67.tinypic.com/35ktwrp.jpg

It is a link from this article that grabbed it from a Fotolia stock image account. http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/moncton-n-b-tops-for-low-cost-business-operations

I'm curious how long it has been like this. This is prominent spot to have such an error.

Welcome to Moncton where we aparently don't have pictures from our own city.:haha:

Not the first time this has happened. I remember back when we were one of the host cities for the FIFA Women's World Cup, they used a picture of the wrong city for Moncton too (Vancouver if I recall correctly). :haha:

:yes: indeed it was Vancouver they had used.

MonctonRad
Apr 11, 2018, 8:26 PM
Here is the list of planned street infrastructure projects in Moncton for the upcoming year:

Street Reconstruction

Bennet Ave. from Camden Cres. to Dickson Blvd.
Hows Cres. from Beaton Ave. to Milner Rd.
Llangollen Rd. from Civic No. 80 to End
MacDonald Ln. from Shediac Rd. to Storey East Rd.
Waterloo St. from Euston St. to Foundry St.
Euston St. from Albert St. to Waterloo St.
Bishop St. from MacWilliam Ln. to Clifton St.
Stewart St. from Main St. to End
Church St. from Mountain Rd. to Hester St.
Crown Cres. from Chelsea Rd. to Chelsea Rd.
Chelsea Rd. from Mount Pleasant Rd. to Upland Rd.
Martin St. from Mill Rd. to Palisade Dr.
Palisade Dr. from Martin St. to Civic No. 76/78

Street Resurfacing

Mill Rd. from Martin St. to Bathurst St.
Edmonton Ave. from Vaughan Harvey Blvd. to War Veterans Ave.
Essex St. from War Veterans Ave. to Lockhart Ave.
Connaught Ave. from Edgett Ave. to Wheeler Blvd.
Ashley Cres. from Logan Ln. to Glencairn Dr.
Glendalea Cres. from Meadowdale Dr. to Frampton Ln.
Mountain Rd. from Woodhaven Ct. to Civic No. 3058
Donald Ave. from Elmwood Dr. to Clement-Cormier St.
Mount Pleasant Rd. from Mountain Rd. to Civic No. 72

Street Microsurfacing

Assomption Blvd. from Vaughan Harvey Blvd. to Main St.
Lewisville Rd. from Hall’s Creek Bridge to City Limits
Main St. from Bendview Ct. to Mechanic St.
McLaughlin Dr. from Hennessey Rd. to Civic No. 684
McLaughlin Dr. from Morton Ave. to Edmond St.
Millennium Blvd. from Ninth St. to Russ Howard Dr.
Salisbury Rd. from Wheeler Blvd. to Civic No. 235
Ryan St. from Evergreen Dr. to Augusta St.
Shediac Rd. from Lewisville Rd. to Vista Dr.
Vaughan Harvey Blvd. from Collishaw St. to St. George Blvd.

Sidewalk Installation

Mapleton Rd. from TCH Ramp to Queensway Dr.

MAP:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/785/41395171461_bc3d9dcace_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/264X5hM)

MonctonRad
Apr 11, 2018, 8:33 PM
New francophone school to be built in Moncton for kindergarten to Grade 8
Location of school to be chosen later
Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2018 5:20 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-francophone-school-moncton-1.4614987

The school is being build to deal with the growing number of students attending École le Sommet and École Champlain.

"There was an urgent need to build a new school in Moncton to make up for the lack of space in current schools," Paul Demers, the chair of the district education council in Francophone Sud, said in a government news release.

The location of the new school will be chosen this fiscal year.

This on top of the following:
- new anglophone middle school for the northwest end (construction to begin this year)
- new anglophone school to replace Bessborough & Hillcrest schools (approved, preliminary planning underway)

Scarface
Apr 11, 2018, 9:22 PM
New francophone school to be built in Moncton for kindergarten to Grade 8
Location of school to be chosen later
Philip Drost · CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2018 5:20 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-francophone-school-moncton-1.4614987

This on top of the following:
- new anglophone middle school for the northwest end (construction to begin this year)
- new anglophone school to replace Bessborough & Hillcrest schools (approved, preliminary planning underway)

They probably already have locations picked out, and will narrow it down. If so behind Palisade Dr. Should be at the top of there list since it is almost centrally located in between École le Sommet and École Champlain.

Ammn_guy
Apr 11, 2018, 10:56 PM
Royal oaks still has lots of land for sale :) :runaway:

in all seriousness though there is a lot of francophone students north of the highway that are bussed all the way into champlain.

They probably already have locations picked out, and will narrow it down. If so behind Palisade Dr. Should be at the top of there list since it is almost centrally located in between École le Sommet and École Champlain.

Scarface
Apr 11, 2018, 11:42 PM

in all seriousness though there is a lot of francophone students north of the highway that are bussed all the way into champlain.

If that is the case they could probably build it next to The New Moncton High School. But probably wont... Since they don't want more development north of the TCH. A new school would probably push new development quicker.

MonctonRad
Apr 12, 2018, 12:55 AM

I dare say you're correct about this, but the Department of Education is probably terrified of another MHS fiasco......... :rolleyes:

Scarface
Apr 12, 2018, 10:56 AM
I dare say you're correct about this, but the Department of Education is probably terrified of another MHS fiasco......... :rolleyes:

Speaking of. I found out where the Westend Replacement school is suposed to go, and people are unhappy.

Land off Millenium Blvd. Might have been already been purchased because acording to news sources residents of Both Bessborough, and Hillcrest are not having any of it. Hillcrest there are less angry parents because there are less students who walk to Hilcrest. But the rage is on.Nimby's turned into Yimby. :notacrook:

Ammn_guy
Apr 12, 2018, 1:53 PM
This is actually like the MHS fiasco, with the exception that the location is not horrendous. A developer wants a school to help sell his property.

That being said Bessborough is one of the safest and walkable neighbourhoods in Moncton for kids to get to school(considering moving there myself because of this). There will be alot less kids walking to school if they move it across a busy st like st George, into the mini industrial park.

Speaking of. I found out where the Westend Replacement school is suposed to go, and people are unhappy.

Land off Millenium Blvd. Might have been already been purchased because acording to news sources residents of Both Bessborough, and Hillcrest are not having any of it. Hillcrest there are less angry parents because there are less students who walk to Hilcrest. But the rage is on.Nimby's turned into Yimby. :notacrook:

MonctonRad
Apr 12, 2018, 2:37 PM
This is actually like the MHS fiasco, with the exception that the location is not horrendous. A developer wants a school to help sell his property.

That being said Bessborough is one of the safest and walkable neighbourhoods in Moncton for kids to get to school(considering moving there myself because of this). There will be alot less kids walking to school if they move it across a busy st like st George, into the mini industrial park.

I agree.

The Franklin Yard site actually has some merit (more space, proximity to the CN Sportplex, bordering Centennial Park), but it is certainly more inconvenient to the west end than Bessborough is (the current school location is ideal) and the idea of having to cross St. George Blvd for walking students would certainly give a lot of parents the willies.

This has the potential to be a major grass roots powder keg similar to MHS (although MHS was completely indefensible).

FWIW, I heard that the developer is proposing the idea of having bus access to the new school (if built at the Franklin Yard site) off of Millenium, but have the auto access for drop off students from St. George via a roadway to be cut through Centennial Park (presumably from the perimeter road that already exists). If this is true, the idea of increased vehicular traffic in the park would also bring out additional protesters of the tree-hugging variety........

tmacdougall
Apr 12, 2018, 2:56 PM
If you are on the topic of safety, isn't Bessborough parents suggesting to build on the same site? I've been told there is not nearly enough land there to build a new school while kids are attending classes.

I agree.

The Franklin Yard site actually has some merit (more space, proximity to the CN Sportplex, bordering Centennial Park), but it is certainly more inconvenient to the west end than Bessborough is (the current school location is ideal) and the idea of having to cross St. George Blvd for walking students would certainly give a lot of parents the willies.

This has the potential to be a major grass roots powder keg similar to MHS (although MHS was completely indefensible).

FWIW, I heard that the developer is proposing the idea of having bus access to the new school (if built at the Franklin Yard site) off of Millenium, but have the auto access for drop off students from St. George via a roadway to be cut through Centennial Park (presumably from the perimeter road that already exists). If this is true, the idea of increased vehicular traffic in the park would also bring out additional protesters of the tree-hugging variety........

MonctonRad
Apr 12, 2018, 3:44 PM
If you are on the topic of safety, isn't Bessborough parents suggesting to build on the same site? I've been told there is not nearly enough land there to build a new school while kids are attending classes.

It's feasible. They did the same thing for Ecole Ste Bernadette in the west end a few years ago. It's a pain in the ass, but it kept the school in the neighbourhood.

Overall, the Francophone school district around here seems to do a much better job of keeping their schools as neighbourhood walking schools than the Anglophone district does. There is no way in hell that the Francophone district would have allowed a replacement high school (<cough>MHS<cough>) to have been built in the boonies out near the Kent County line.......... :hell:

L'homard
Apr 12, 2018, 6:27 PM
About 20 years ago the city unveiled plans to run that road that currently skirts Centennial Park right through to Millennium and the brown sticky stuff hit the fan at the idea of this.
People will be outraged once again at the mere thought of the idea.

mylesmalley
Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 PM
I'm not crazy about the idea either. Connecting Grand Trunk and Centennial Park Drive would create a route that would link Main right to Mapleton. I know it would be a bit circuitous near the SportsPlex and the roundabout on Killam, but I'd wager that it would have a pretty big impact on traffic flows in the whole area.

PEI highway guy
Apr 12, 2018, 9:21 PM
I'm not crazy about the idea either. Connecting Grand Trunk and Centennial Park Drive would create a route that would link Main right to Mapleton. I know it would be a bit circuitous near the SportsPlex and the roundabout on Killam, but I'd wager that it would have a pretty big impact on traffic flows in the whole area.

this road would ruin a lot things at the park. the road being right beside the playground where kids roam. probably encroaching on the lawn bowling/ tennis courts. Parking for rocky stone and much more. I HATE THIS IDEA. WITH ROAD WIDENING SIDE WALKS ETC. they might as well close that part of the park. I went to Hillcrest 76-79 IT NEEDS AN UPDATE, HOWEVER, I ALSO LOVE CENTENNIAL PARK. I hope they find a better option.

L'homard
Apr 12, 2018, 10:32 PM
It would surely be just a matter of a few years before any road through there would be so busy it would need four lanes.

MonctonRad
Apr 13, 2018, 3:14 AM
This is a proposed rendering they have for the replacement school at the Franklin Yard site:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/telegraph_journal/story-pictures/100565892/gallerylandscape/img_4533.jpg

It does not (necessarily) include a connecting road between the existing Centennial Park Roadway and Grand Trunk Street.

Bus access would be directly off Millennium. What they want is a "laneway" extension of the Centennial Park Road along the back of the new school for walking students and for parent drop off. Presumably this would mean paving the Centennial Park Road to allow for all weather two way traffic, but keeping it's current "loop" design beginning and terminating on St. George Blvd. Even though there would be no physical connection between Millennium & St. George, there is no question that traffic on the Centennial Park roadway would increase down by the tennis courts, lawn bowling, playground and Rocky Stone Field. The question therefore is whether or not any increase in traffic through the park is acceptable or not..........

I have drawn in the image below where the two drop off would be.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/795/40527211075_797d30b0a4_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24KfxUx)

The rendering also shows new apartment construction on Grand Trunk Street, and a new roundabout at the Millennium/Grand Trunk/Russ Howard intersection. The developer also proposes to buy the existing Bessborough & Hillcrest school sites and redevelop them for higher density residential.

Taeolas
Apr 13, 2018, 11:03 AM
I don't know that area of Moncton well, but it seems to me that it would be better to close the park roads (Centennial Park road) to unofficial traffic, steal part of Centennial Park Road for the Student pickup/dropoff and connect it to Northwest Trail.

In fact, if they really want to control traffic, connect it to Northwest trail and make that the bus pickup/drop off area, so the entire stretch would be "Official traffic only".

That way the park stays vehicularly separated from Millennium and traffic impact would be minimal.

MonctonRad
Apr 13, 2018, 12:04 PM
Another interesting thing about that proposed site plan for the new school in the Franklin Yard is that it appears they want to relocate the Northwest Trail behind the school.

Currently the Northwest Trail extends up Grand Trunk to Millennium before heading west. This rerouting of the trail would be good in that it increases traffic separation between the trail and the street for a considerable distance. In addition, students from the old west end (Hillcrest catchment area) would be able to walk to the new school via the Northwest Trail.

BTW - I'm not trying to play favourites here. There are merits to both rebuilding at the Bessborough site, and building at the Franklyn Yard. This will be a tough decision. If I was to guess though, I would say the government is likely leaning to building at the Franklyn Yard. This site allows for more room for sports fields and parking, and comes with the promise from the developer to build adjacent apartment buildings and to purchase and redevelop the old school sites. In other words, there is more economic gain to be had from the Franklyn Yard proposal..........

JHikka
Apr 13, 2018, 12:17 PM
BTW - I'm not trying to play favourites here. There are merits to both rebuilding at the Bessborough site, and building at the Franklyn Yard. This will be a tough decision. If I was to guess though, I would say the government is likely leaning to building at the Franklyn Yard. This site allows for more room for sports fields and parking, and comes with the promise from the developer to build adjacent apartment buildings and to purchase and redevelop the old school sites. In other words, there is more economic gain to be had from the Franklyn Yard proposal..........

Agreed. The Franklyn Yard site looks more appealing for a new school for a number of reasons, and opening up the Bessborough site to potential redevelopment is a good prospect. Currently that stretch of Millennium is just trees so infilling that area with residential and educational would be a good upgrade. Millennium has a lot of potential as a street if it is slowly weaned away from the small-industrial feel it currently has.

At some point there will need to be a North/South connection between Millennium and St. George; connecting Centennial Park with Russ Howard seems most likely.

Scarface
Apr 13, 2018, 1:39 PM
The majority of complaints that I've heard so far have nothing to do with the land but more to do with the location.

As for the street expansion I think it has to do with a mostly direct route from West Main all the way up to the Mapleton area. People seem to fear this strech of road will be used as a race track. It is almost a straight run other then the Bends at Grand Trunk, Russ Howard, and the roundabout at Killam Drive.

PEI highway guy
Apr 13, 2018, 3:44 PM
The majority of complaints that I've heard so far have nothing to do with the land but more to do with the location.

As for the street expansion I think it has to do with a mostly direct route from West Main all the way up to the Mapleton area. People seem to fear this strech of road will be used as a race track. It is almost a straight run other then the Bends at Grand Trunk, Russ Howard, and the roundabout at Killam Drive.

Scarface: as long as they keep the park intact I do not care how/where they put the school/ access points. Just leave my beloved park alone. I have been going there since at least 1970 and it needs to be preserved. The redevelopment of the 2 existing school sites is a bonus, if true.

Scarface
Apr 13, 2018, 4:33 PM
Like MonctonRad has said it seems the French shcool district now know as District francophone sud. Seems to have it down on what locations would be the best to keep the school walkable. If you look at École Sainte-Bernadette
It was facing Upton Street previously, and they kept the school open as they built the new school In behind now facing Verdun, and they demolished the old school, and built the new parking, and field while the students where in the new school. They could do the same on the Besborough Land It would be a little ackward, as the pick up/drop off zone for busses, and cars would have to be on the side of the road. But it is workable. If it's the size of land they are woried about they could always build the school with 3 levels of classrooms

Ammn_guy
Apr 13, 2018, 5:02 PM
I just think at this point in our world of eco-logical issues building a school at the Franklin crossing site that will result in more cars on the road is backwards thinking.

I guarantee you Parents will not let their kids walk there..... which means every k-4 parent that lives in new/old west end will now drive their kids to school due to no bussing which quite honestly will increase traffic dramatically.

We have this drop off/traffic problem at magnetic hill .. but for a different reason. (everyone drives their kids because the bus's come unreasonably early, due to transfers to downtown)

Scarface
Apr 14, 2018, 4:20 PM
I decided to look into the new French shcool, and realised it's either a school to eliviate for Champlain, and École Le Mascaret that is in the East end, or the article is right, and they should look at an expansion of Saint-Henri. Since Le Sommet School is in the North end, and not in the east. :rolleyes:

I think the Province, and City should work together on a plan for potential new schools to be built with majority of there student population within walking distance. It would be a large undertaking to do. But it is something they can implement.

David_99
Apr 14, 2018, 6:02 PM
I think the Province, and City should work together....

:haha:

We can only dream.

habs33
Apr 24, 2018, 12:23 PM
Moncton Honda started their renovation and expansion yesteday
Breaking Ground! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQ0EbV8e1w)

josh_cat_eyes
Apr 24, 2018, 2:31 PM
:haha:

We can only dream.

It’s even worse when you try to get the Feds involved too.

PEI highway guy
May 5, 2018, 1:00 AM
New York-based Koeppel Companies ULC, a company that holds the rights for the Ontario market east of Kingston, Ottawa, Quebec and the East Coast provinces for the Five Guys Burgers and Fries concept are planning to open at least 15 new locations over the next three years. The immediate focus is on downtown Montreal along with the Laval, St. Laurent, Plateau, Côte-des-Neiges communities on the Island of Montreal along with Lachenaie in the Terrebonne area, Boucherville in Montreal’s South Shore, Gatineau in western Quebec and downtown Ottawa. The company is also planning to ramp up expansion of Five Guys in the Atlantic provinces in early 2019 and the initial focus there is on Halifax, Moncton and St. John. The restaurants will operate in 2500 to 3200 square foot units with patios, in open-air centres, high streets and super regional malls. Tony Flanz at Think Retail handles the site selection on behalf of the Koeppel Companies. Introduced in 1986 as a family-owned takeout burger joint in Arlington Virginia by the Murell family, Five Guys Burgers features the hand-formed burgers that can be customized with an array of toppings, along with hotdogs and fresh-cut fries. In 2003, the company introduced a franchise program and today, the quick service chain operates more than 1500 locations in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Europe and the Middle East, with about another 1500 in development.

Taeolas
May 5, 2018, 12:09 PM
The company is also planning to ramp up expansion of Five Guys in the Atlantic provinces in early 2019 and the initial focus there is on Halifax, Moncton and St. John. The restaurants will operate in 2500 to 3200 square foot units with patios, in open-air centres, high streets and super regional malls. Tony Flanz at Think Retail handles the site selection on behalf of the Koeppel Companies.

This feels like a situation where Fredericton is missing out because it isn't considered a CMA yet, since that really looks like a regional CMA list. I'm sure after the restaurants open up, a second wave of expansion will see 5Guys in Freddy, Charlottetown and Sydney likely.

MonctonRad
May 10, 2018, 11:40 PM
Here is the link to the pdf for the May PAC meeting for the city of Moncton.

http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Government+English/Department+English/Planning+English/May+23+PAC+Agenda.pdf

Nothing truly earth shaking here.

RaginRonic
May 16, 2018, 11:12 AM
Hello.

I'm part of a Facebook group, that discusses retail in the province of New Brunswick, and a few days ago, they posted this below at their page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690502684515770/permalink/2153481661551201/

For some here, you may need to log into Facebook and hit the 'Join' button to post there.

This has to do with the conversion of a former store in Riverview to a Giant Tiger store, and during the exterior renovations, they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.

For the record, I live in Ontario now, but I ended up contacting the owners of that property, Crombie REIT, and made a suggestion to them to have the sign saved. They do have it stored away right now, but I thought I'd just leave this message here to anyone who may be interested in seeing if it can be preserved.

You'd have to contact an Elizabeth Engram for anything further on that subject. She is with Crombie.

It's just that, as someone who's observed the evolution of the retail world since March of 1995, that I'd hate to see that sign end up in a dump.

I just thought I'd make those here aware of this.

=)

Scarface
May 16, 2018, 1:31 PM
Hello.

I'm part of a Facebook group, that discusses retail in the province of New Brunswick, and a few days ago, they posted this below at their page.

For some here, you may need to log into Facebook and hit the 'Join' button to post there.

This has to do with the conversion of a former store in Riverview to a Giant Tiger store, and during the exterior renovations, they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.

For the record, I live in Ontario now, but I ended up contacting the owners of that property, Crombie REIT, and made a suggestion to them to have the sign saved. They do have it stored away right now, but I thought I'd just leave this message here to anyone who may be interested in seeing if it can be preserved.

You'd have to contact an Elizabeth Engram for anything further on that subject. She is with Crombie.

It's just that, as someone who's observed the evolution of the retail world since March of 1995, that I'd hate to see that sign end up in a dump.

I just thought I'd make those here aware of this.

=)

That is neat that the sign had not been removed but at the same time to me it looks like they are cutting corners. as all they did was put something on top something on the bottom, and of course down the middle less where the sign is. Then put the siding over it.

Delusio Cogno
May 16, 2018, 8:01 PM
Hello.

....they uncovered what's pretty close to a mint-condition sign from the now-gone SaveEasy grocery store chain, this one being the original 1980s logo.
... seeing if it can be preserved.

=)

Iconic signs like this need a place to be displayed in Moncton's own "Museum of Retail History".

ErickMontreal
May 18, 2018, 12:46 AM
Apex : 80 new jobs

http://huddle.today/monctons-apex-industries-to-create-up-to-80-jobs-over-next-two-years/

Scarface
May 25, 2018, 8:04 PM
I remember a short while ago we where talking about rooming houses in the city, and the subject came up as to how many there really are in the city. I seen in the Paper that a Rooming house on Killam Drive had caught fire thursday, and while looking into it. It seems the house is listed a single familly residents, and nothing that would remotly show that it's being used in any other capacity. There seems to be a lot of home like this in the city, and I think the city should probably step in with that. To Many rooming houses seem to not be legal rooming houses, and therefore are a potential danger for those living there as the conversion was done without being overseen. Corners are often cut in these types of situation. Not saying that is what happen at this particular rooming house but am pointing out the city should probably be looking into ways to make it easier for residents to know that it is not a legal rooming house, and they could potentially be in danger. there are 2 rooming houses that I know of the city, or Province had boarded up after non compliance. They had seemingly turned any area they could into bedrooms some without windows.

Mapleton_Roadie
May 26, 2018, 12:42 AM
The City keeps tabs on all known rooming houses. Some are up to full code and some are written up.
The unknown ones are the issue. The only way to become aware of them is for someone to report them. If a place is listed as a single family residence officials would have no clue unless tipped off. In Toronto, and I imagine other large cities, it is not uncommon to discover a retail business with a basement or an attic full of tenants, separated but just a curtain.

Scarface
May 26, 2018, 1:51 AM
The City keeps tabs on all known rooming houses. Some are up to full code and some are written up.
The unknown ones are the issue. The only way to become aware of them is for someone to report them. If a place is listed as a single family residence officials would have no clue unless tipped off. In Toronto, and I imagine other large cities, it is not uncommon to discover a retail business with a basement or an attic full of tenants, separated but just a curtain.

Agreed But in Toronto Rooming house are treated like there apartment building, and it's easy to see if your running a legal rooming house, or not when you either don't have that panel, or don't have that tag that say's you've passed your inspection. I also do agree it's harder when it's an attic, or basement Unit specially if it has seperate access It might have interconected smoke alarms but no way to know if they passed inspection as you have access to your unit only.

MonctonRad
May 28, 2018, 11:21 PM
10 Reasons to Move to Moncton

Found on Realtor.ca
https://www.realtor.ca/TrendsInsights/PostPage/3578/1364/10-Reasons-to-Move-to-Moncton/?utm_source=RealtorWeb&utm_medium=share-fbpostNonListing&utm_campaign=Blog

Very interesting article....... :)

Nashe
May 31, 2018, 1:24 PM
Not 100% sure if it's kosher to post this here or not, but a local renovation/flipping company just started a YouTube channel about the ins-and-outs of the industry, at least as how it applies in one of Canada's most affordable housing markets.

https://www.youtube.com/buildingbrydges

I normally wouldn't plug a link, but it's a local company trying to get Moncton even more on the map. (Plus I have family in the cast, lol) First episode (released today) is a bit cheesy, but I expect it to get better and better.

BlackYear
May 31, 2018, 1:48 PM
Video wasn't too bad for their first. Got me interested. :tup:

Not 100% sure if it's kosher to post this here or not, but a local renovation/flipping company just started a YouTube channel about the ins-and-outs of the industry, at least as how it applies in one of Canada's most affordable housing markets.

https://www.youtube.com/buildingbrydges

I normally wouldn't plug a link, but it's a local company trying to get Moncton even more on the map. (Plus I have family in the cast, lol) First episode (released today) is a bit cheesy, but I expect it to get better and better.