PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135

jonny golden
Jan 30, 2023, 11:51 PM
The new Market will be part of a major building. This announcement doesn’t include a major building. Don’t get your hopes up for this one.

Hopefully the Market/Downing St project gets announced later this year and start in Sept.

There'll be a lot of underground work being done by the city on the Ashford property this summer, as well as the new east/west street. I'm not sure if buildings can be constructed simultaneously, nor do I know how long the infrastructure work will take, but eventually there'll be a lot of residents living right around the new market. At some point, you'd think it would make sense for the market to be open daily.

MonctonRad
Feb 2, 2023, 3:06 PM
Aquatic Facility Feasibility Study
https://letschatmoncton.ca/aquatic-facility-feasibility-study

The City of Moncton is undertaking a feasibility study to examine the need for indoor and/or outdoor aquatic facilities in the city and region over the next 10 years.

The study aims to determine the appropriate programming and amenities, locational requirements, capital construction costs, governance structure, and operational considerations for a potential new facility. Your input is important to ensure the community’s needs are reflected in any new aquatic facility. We are interested to hear about your use of existing aquatic facilities and participation in activities.

The project timeline can be found to the right of the project page (on desktop) or at the bottom of the page (on mobile).

How you can participate:

The Aquatic Facility Feasibility Study will involve consultation and engagement with a range of sector stakeholders (community groups, private, not-for-profit) and the public to help us identify current needs, issues, and priorities as it relates to developing aquatic facilities in the city. You can get involved by:

Responding to the survey below.
The survey should take 5-10 minutes to complete.
The deadline to submit feedback is noon on March 1, 2023.
Asking a question about the project in the Q&A tab below.
Sending us an email at letschat@moncton.ca

Photo1
Feb 7, 2023, 9:24 PM
Thanks for sharing. Every time I see the beautiful ICR General Offices building I get sad. Whoever decided to tear down that grand old building should have been fired.

I agree...that and the old train station were magnificent. How many people go to McAdam to see the old train station there...really unfortunate.

I also marvel at the width of the river, at 'three masted' sailing ships parked downtown...imagine that today! :shrug:

MonctonRad
Feb 19, 2023, 2:35 PM
From CCD Canada:

NURSING HOME, MONCTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB168983-23-02

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : February 16, 2023

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($7,650,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Public

Category : 3-Institutional

Subcategories : 3F-Health & Social Services

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW NURSING HOME -
Located in Moncton, this project estimated at $7 650 000 is in the planning stage. Works concern the construction of a nursing home facility with a total of 60 beds.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

josh_cat_eyes
Feb 19, 2023, 4:35 PM
I agree...that and the old train station were magnificent. How many people go to McAdam to see the old train station there...really unfortunate.

I also marvel at the width of the river, at 'three masted' sailing ships parked downtown...imagine that today! :shrug:

The trains station in McAdam is really beautiful, I went for a trip there during the pandemic just to get out of my house. There is nice walking trails nearby too!

MonctonRad
Feb 22, 2023, 2:29 AM
From Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

Very straight-forward Regular Public Session of Moncton City Council today. We began with a presentation from the CHU Dumont Foundation, the regular Codiac RCMP update, received a petition and then heard all about the new YMCA All Wheels Park.

From a recent Private Session we agreed to a land lease with the YMCA, to increase our investment in the École l'Odyssée field (to $1.1M from $750,000), to terminate an agreement with the provincial Department of Transportation and Infrastructure for winter maintenance on Wheeler and Berry Mills and to approve advances to Atlantic Wellness ($130,000) and Crossroads for Women ($220,000).

We then awarded a tender for the Moncton Coliseum Ice Plant renewal (CIMCO Refrigeration = $1.9M), had final reading of two by-law amendments (due to Local Governance Reform) and made deposits into four different Reserve Funds. That’s it! Let me know if you have questions.

That very terse comment about "receiving a petition" is no doubt in relation to the Tomato Brigade's opposition to 1333 Main. Mayor Arnold could not even bring herself to mention the petitioners (or their petition) by name. :haha:

Interesting to see the purchase of a new ice plant for the Coliseum. The building still has excellent bones and remains the city's main trade show venue. Having an extra ice surface in the city is very handy. :yes:

MonctonRad
Mar 8, 2023, 4:53 PM
And another boring nothingburger of a PACS agenda for the upcoming meeting in March.

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC/March_22_2023/Agenda_Ordre_du_jour_Mar_22_mar.pdf

This is the longest drought I can recall as far as the PACS committee is concerned. I think it's been at least a year since anything interesting has been presented to the PAC (except for perhaps 1333 Main, and that may still end up being nothing more than a six storey wooden box). :(

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 8, 2023, 5:50 PM
And another boring nothingburger of a PACS agenda for the upcoming meeting in March.

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC/March_22_2023/Agenda_Ordre_du_jour_Mar_22_mar.pdf

This is the longest drought I can recall as far as the PACS committee is concerned. I think it's been at least a year since anything interesting has been presented to the PAC (except for perhaps 1333 Main, and that may still end up being nothing more than a six storey wooden box). :(

It’s surprising because the proposed development near riverview high is supposed to go to the PAC according to the town.

MonctonRad
Mar 8, 2023, 6:03 PM
It’s surprising because the proposed development near riverview high is supposed to go to the PAC according to the town.

That would be Riverview PAC, not Moncton PAC.

Mr_Me
Mar 15, 2023, 11:37 PM
Tenders are out for another addition to the city hospital

MonctonRad
Mar 15, 2023, 11:43 PM
Tenders are out for another addition to the city hospital

That would be for the new cardiology wing (CCU, cardiac stepdown & cardiology clinics). They are building this on the Arden Street staff parking lot (in behind the Dr. Sheldon Rubin Oncology Clinic).

I started working at the Moncton Hospital in 1989. Since then, they have added the new south tower, the ambulatory care centre/emergency department, the new oncology clinic, the new maternal/newborn wing (nearly complete)and now the new cardiology wing. There have also been numerous internal renovations. Working there the last 34 years, it feels like any progress has been at a glacial pace, but when you add it all up, I guess it's not so bad.......

MonctonRad
Mar 17, 2023, 11:46 AM
Boomtown struggle: N.B. contractors desperate to find workers
Lack of workers leading to costly delays, new recruitment strategies
Alexandre Silberman · CBC News · Posted: Mar 17, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-construction-boom-no-workers-1.6780844

As new homes continue to go up in Moncton, contractor Andrew Nelson gets lots of calls about taking on new projects. But with not enough workers, he routinely turns them down.

"My standard answer now is 'What's your timeline?'"

If they say they want to get started within the next year or two, "it's not likely going to happen," Nelson said.

There are many projects in Moncton approved and ready to proceed, but with no shovels in the ground. This is the likely reason why (in most cases). Some builders (notably John Lafford) seem very good at getting all their ducks in a row quickly, which is why we're seeing such rapid progress on the Three Sisters. Other builders do not seem quite so organized, leading to significant construction delays. This is very frustrating..............

Sandbagger
Mar 17, 2023, 3:17 PM
There are many projects in Moncton approved and ready to proceed, but with no shovels in the ground. This is the likely reason why (in most cases). Some builders (notably John Lafford) seem very good at getting all their ducks in a row quickly, which is why we're seeing such rapid progress on the Three Sisters. Other builders do not seem quite so organized, leading to significant construction delays. This is very frustrating..............

At the same I received info this week from my son's high school that they are axing pretty much all of the trade courses that he and many others were looking forward to taking - carpentry, welding, electric, as well as things like entrepreneurship and life finances :rolleyes:. Meanwhile it's still mandatory to know the amount of syllables in a haiku and what year the Wolseley Expedition happened...

I realize this is a whole other discussion.

PEI highway guy
Mar 17, 2023, 3:41 PM
[QUOTE=MonctonRa

There are many projects in Moncton approved and ready to proceed, but with no shovels in the ground. This is the likely reason why (in most cases). Some builders (notably John Lafford) seem very good at getting all their ducks in a row quickly, which is why we're seeing such rapid progress on the Three Sisters. Other builders do not seem quite so organized, leading to significant construction delays. This is very frustrating..............[/QUOTE]

This could also be why Lafford appears to have accelerated his timeline with the Three sisters prroject and the potential 20 storey job nearby. If he has a productive crew on the first 2 buildings he probably wants to keep them together so he can keep building.

MonctonRad
Mar 24, 2023, 3:11 PM
Anglophone East schools 'bursting at the seams,' changes coming
Public consultations will be held at a later date, says district
Hannah Rudderham · CBC News · Posted: Mar 24, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/school-anglophone-east-district-1.6789138

The Anglophone East School District in southeast New Brunswick has seen "unprecedented" enrolment growth in the last few years — forcing the district to look for solutions such as boundary changes.

Randolph MacLean, the superintendent for the district, said the current enrolment is around 18,350 students — that's 2,265 more than what was projected for this school year last June.

Speaking at a District Education Council meeting this week, MacLean said as enrolment grows, however, they're not seeing an increase in space.

"We're seeing, over a decade, potentially a growth of over 7,000 students in the exact same infrastructure."

According to the district's enrolment growth strategy, Riverview East, Moncton High and Shediac Cape schools all have auxiliary space used as classrooms, and each has multiple portable classrooms:

- Riverview East, K-8, 123 students above capacity, eight portables.
- Moncton High School, 125 students above capacity, eight portables with four more coming.
- Shediac Cape, K-8, 84 students above capacity, six portables.

Lou MacNarin School in Dieppe, and Northrop Frye School in Moncton were initially both K-8 schools, but due to area growth they are now K5, and older students in the area attend Lewisville and Maplehurst middle schools. The growth strategy shows that both schools are still close to 100 students over capacity.

The DEC can continue to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic, but the real answer will be new school construction, and on an accelerated schedule to boot!

- A new K-12 anglophone school in Shediac Cape has been approved.
- A new 6-12 anglophone school has been requested for Dieppe.
- A new anglophone high school in Moncton has also been requested, but is a low priority item as far as the Dept. of Education is concerned.
- It sounds as if another elementary or middle school will soon be necessary in Riverview, and perhaps Moncton.

Why is Higgs sitting on his $800M surplus???

MonctonRad
Mar 27, 2023, 11:37 AM
:previous:

Further to the above, there was an interview on CBC Radio this morning regarding the challenges being faced by Anglophone East.

There were too many topics addressed in the interview to be comprehensive in this post but, it was noted that the enrollment growth in Anglophone East last year alone was enough for four new schools!!!

The most surprising revelation was that the school district is considering declaring the new school being built adjacent to BMHS as being "new", and, as such, they are seriously planning on keeping Bessborough and Hillcrest schools open.

This paradoxically would probably be a very popular decision in the old and new west ends, as neighbourhood residents did not consider the new school as being a "neighbourhood" school. If this change was made, then the old walkable schools would remain available.

MonctonRad
Mar 28, 2023, 11:43 AM
Growth outpacing housing in Southeast N.B.
Moncton, NB, Canada / 91.9 The Bend
Allan Dearing
Mar 27, 2023 | 7:30 AM
https://www.919thebend.ca/2023/03/27/growth-outpacing-housing-in-southeast-n-b/

According to the 2021 census data, the growth of dwellings over the previous five-year period in Southeast New Brunswick was 4.0 percent while it was 5.6 percent in the Moncton census metropolitan area (CMA).

Looking five years ahead and if population and construction growth remain the same, Fernandez noted the Moncton CMA will need 6,324 more dwellings (16.8 percent more than what was built between 2016 and 2021) and Southeast New Brunswick will need 8,344 more dwellings (10 percent more than what was built between 2016 and 2021).

6,324 new dwellings in the Moncton CMA over the next five years probably translates into population growth in the vicinity 0f 14-15,000 individuals.

Mattyyy
Mar 28, 2023, 11:58 AM

Further to the above, there was an interview on CBC Radio this morning regarding the challenges being faced by Anglophone East.

There were too many topics addressed in the interview to be comprehensive in this post but, it was noted that the enrollment growth in Anglophone East last year alone was enough for four new schools!!!

The most surprising revelation was that the school district is considering declaring the new school being built adjacent to BMHS as being "new", and, as such, they are seriously planning on keeping Bessborough and Hillcrest schools open.

This paradoxically would probably be a very popular decision in the old and new west ends, as neighbourhood residents did not consider the new school as being a "neighbourhood" school. If this change was made, then the old walkable schools would remain available.

This might be far reaching - but could it perhaps mean a future for the old Moncton high school?

Mattyyy
Mar 28, 2023, 11:59 AM
Growth outpacing housing in Southeast N.B.
Moncton, NB, Canada / 91.9 The Bend
Allan Dearing
Mar 27, 2023 | 7:30 AM
https://www.919thebend.ca/2023/03/27/growth-outpacing-housing-in-southeast-n-b/

6,324 new dwellings in the Moncton CMA over the next five years probably translates into population growth in the vicinity 0f 14-15,000 individuals.

That would imply growth of only 3,000 per year - well below the 9,000 people from last year. While I might not expect the Moncton CMA to continue at almost 9,000 annually - 3,000 seems low.

MonctonRad
Mar 28, 2023, 12:13 PM
That would imply growth of only 3,000 per year - well below the 9,000 people from last year. While I might not expect the Moncton CMA to continue at almost 9,000 annually - 3,000 seems low.

They are probably lowballing the estimates to be on the safe side. The growth last year was truly exceptional, and was buoyed by the Ukrainian refugee crisis.

Projections like this are essentially a crapshoot anyway................ :yes:

MonctonRad
Mar 28, 2023, 12:14 PM
This might be far reaching - but could it perhaps mean a future for the old Moncton high school?

The building is sitting empty right now. I think it could be renovated and reactivated more cheaply than building a new school, and, it would have the advantage of actually being located in the downtown (rather than out by the Kent County line). :rolleyes:

Good thought. :tup:

David_99
Mar 28, 2023, 1:18 PM
The building is sitting empty right now. I think it could be renovated and reactivated more cheaply than building a new school, and, it would have the advantage of actually being located in the downtown (rather than out by the Kent County line). :rolleyes:

Has any of the demolding/renos been completed? There was talk of up to $40M in repairs needed to get the building up to code to maintain the old High School. Have at least the basics been completed with any further repairs being contingent on a long term tenant?

MonctonRad
Mar 28, 2023, 1:23 PM
Has any of the demolding/renos been completed? There was talk of up to $40M in repairs needed to get the building up to code to maintain the old High School. Have at least the basics been completed with any further repairs being contingent on a long term tenant?

I believe this is the case, but the memory fades............

It still wouldn't be cheap to reactivate the school though, but, there is a lot of apartment construction going on in the core, and, at some point, the government will have to think about putting a new school downtown rather than bussing students to the suburbs.

MonctonianSentinel01
Mar 28, 2023, 2:38 PM

I can't remember where I seen it. I thought that I had read that about 4,??? came from international immigration while almost 4000 had come from mostly Ontario and British Columbia. That made most of the almost 9000 people increase from last year. IIRC we were getting 3000 something people a year in international immigration the couple of years before that (which made up most of our growth). Perhaps like MonctonRad said it is a lowball estimate, otherwise it doesn't make much sense, the reason being is because I don't expect this moving out east from other parts of Canada to really end or slow down soon. The secret is out, lots of land and houses for sale where people can have a good quality of life will continue to attact others from other parts of the country for a while yet.

habs33
Mar 31, 2023, 1:48 PM
Looks like the Prov decided against this
Province considered buying back former Moncton High School (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-high-school-building-education-1.6796087)

Morgan Bell, a spokesperson for the province's education department, confirmed it considered "reclaiming" the building for a school.

"However, due to the significant amount of investment that would be needed to meet current educational facilities standards, this is not a viable option," Bell said in an email.

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2023, 2:12 PM
Looks like the Prov decided against this
Province considered buying back former Moncton High School (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-high-school-building-education-1.6796087)

Interesting.

They could still buy back the property, demolish the old school (except for the historic entrance, the auditorium and the gymnasium), and build a new school on site.

It remains a fact that metro Moncton is growing, and a significant portion of this growth will be downtown as new apartment buildings are built. There will be a need for increased school capacity in central Moncton over the next decade, and, large tracts of land large enough for school buildings and associated infrastructure will become increasingly scarce as this growth occurs.

The province may revisit this decision in 4-5 years time. :yes:

MonctonRad
Apr 4, 2023, 11:53 AM
Anticipating population growth, Moncton approves 10-year recreation plan
Plan recommends various new or improved facilities across city

Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Apr 04, 2023 7:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-council-recreation-plan-1.6799927

Among its specific recommendations are facilities for rugby, cricket and ultimate Frisbee, studying a new downtown library combined with a market and recreation centre, and exploring a new aquatics centre.

One main recommendation is for the city to study the need for new aquatics facilities. That study has already started, a step city staff said was in anticipation of the report's recommendation.

The report notes pools in Riverview and at the Université de Moncton CEPS are near the point where they will need to be decommissioned.

While Riverview plans to build a new facility, the report calls on the city to begin talks with the university.

"If the UdeM pool were to be decommissioned, the city would have an opportunity to explore the creation of a facility that simultaneously provides family play space as well as sufficient deck, hosting and viewing space for regional-level events," the report states.

The report points to growing demand for rugby, cricket and ultimate Frisbee facilities in the city. It suggests a joint turf with washrooms and changing rooms at the CN Sportplex(e).

The report calls on the city to commission a study of a downtown centre with a library, market and recreation centre.

It suggests the centre could include retail and social space, a field house, walking track, fitness centre and a public plaza with a performance and presentation space.

Another study is recommended to explore the feasibility, size and potential locations of a "multi-use outdoor adventure park" for activities like cycling, trail running, hiking, snowshoeing, fat biking and cross-country skiing.

As well, another study is recommended about the city's riverfront. It would look at establishing beach volleyball courts, a social and performance space, and some retail space.

Report sounds interesting. The city however is not bound to follow it's recommendations.

MonctonRad
Apr 6, 2023, 12:17 AM
Here is the link to the Recreational Master Plan for the city of Moncton (in case anyone wants to read all 166 pages).

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/recreation-master-plan-phase-2.pdf

MonctonRad
Apr 9, 2023, 1:11 PM
From CCD Canada:

C. OF MONCTON, AFFORDABLE HOUSING

CCD Ref. Number : NB169406-23-03

Stage : 2-Planning

Published : April 3, 2023

Starting Date (estimated) : September 2023

Size : Mid-sized ($3,078,000)

Sector : Public

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4C-Multi Housing

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto) E1C 1G2

On the map : maps.google.com

Description :
NEW AFFORDABLE HOUSING -
Located in Moncton, this project estimated at $3 078 000 is slated to begin in September 2023. It is in the initial stage. Works concern the construction of 27 affordable housing units.

MonctonRad
Apr 13, 2023, 3:08 AM
Another relatively ho-hum PAC agenda for the city of Moncton. :(

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC/Apr_26_2023/1_Agenda_Ordre_du_jour_Apr_26_avril.pdf

Leroy321
Apr 16, 2023, 1:57 PM
I know what it is, but, just like the moderator on Retail Talk & Share, I have been sworn to secrecy as the proponent wants to make his own announcement.

The announcement should be public in the next 3-4 weeks. It is not for any sort of a huge building, so everyone can relax about that, but it does concern a significant new addition to the downtown core which will change the character of the neighbourhood. That's about as much as I am willing to say right now.was this the Baton Rouge you were talking about?

MonctonRad
Apr 16, 2023, 2:05 PM
was this the Baton Rouge you were talking about?

Yes. There is a $4.5M restaurant construction project mentioned on canada constructconnect.com which is slated for a fall construction start. I have suspicions this is it, but that is only a supposition.

MonctonRad
May 3, 2023, 12:40 PM
Report on immigration growth for the Moncton CMA:

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102102909 (paywall).

Highlights:

- the 5.4% growth rate in greater Moncton in 2022 is the highest growth rate seen in any Canadian CMA in the last 20 years!! :eek:
- Moncton CMA population increased by 8,800 in 2022.
- immigrants and non permanent residents account for 15% of Moncton's population, 12% of Dieppe's population and 7% of Riverview's population.
- there is 82% retention of immigrants after two years.
- 25% of immigrants to the Moncton CMA are francophone.

Monctoncore
May 5, 2023, 11:41 PM
What is happening in Moncton, population is booming, high demand for housing of all kinds and yet it’s been dead for months on new announcements for development

MonctonRad
May 6, 2023, 12:08 AM
What is happening in Moncton, population is booming, high demand for housing of all kinds and yet it’s been dead for months on new announcements for development

It seems incongruous doesn't it.

There are a number of previously approved projects that are waiting to start, and also a number of projects in active construction. It's not as if things have ground to a halt.

I think there are several large high profile projects ready to be announced (Ashford/Downing Street for one). They are just waiting for all the i's to be dotted and the t's to be crossed. This is a complex process, especially when there are multiple parties involved. I think these large projects are using up all the oxygen behind the scene, explaining all the cryptic rumours of city development officers run off their feet. Meanwhile, smaller developers are holding off on new plans while they wait and see what's happening. There is going to be a serious shortage of tradespeople in the city for the next decade. This will make some developers think twice about starting anything new.

jonny golden
May 6, 2023, 1:21 AM
It's a good point about construction workers/trades people. If all the projects that we've heard about were to start this year, it's hard to imagine where they'd find enough workers.

St. Bernard's Square
Junction Urban Village
ICON next to Staples
Galco Robinson St. parking lot
Ashford south of Assomption Place
Corner of Main & Vaughan Harvey

And on top of all that, there's multiple other projects currently under construction all around the city as well as Riverview and Dieppe.

Of course it's great when these projects get completed so those workers can move on to the next one. And there are new classes of trades people graduating every year.

So hopefully we see at least some of the bigger projects get under way this year.

new kid in town
May 8, 2023, 6:30 PM
Hi guys, I've been lurking this thread for the past several months. I moved to Moncton about a year ago after living in Toronto for a decade.

Love the city and its people for the most part. While I'm happy to get away from the hustle of a huge city, I also find the growth of Moncton (and its skyline) exciting. I'm really excited about the Three Sisters construction, and the rumored 20-story building plans that might be announced this year.

MonctonRad
May 8, 2023, 6:35 PM

Welcome to the forums. :)

As I'm sure you figured out, there are over a dozen active [Moncton] threads, some neighbourhood specific, others project specific and a few topic specific (like the Retail thread). Make sure to keep an eye on them all.

Feel free to contribute anytime. :tup:

new kid in town
May 8, 2023, 8:50 PM

Welcome to the forums. :)

As I'm sure you figured out, there are over a dozen active [Moncton] threads, some neighbourhood specific, others project specific and a few topic specific (like the Retail thread). Make sure to keep an eye on them all.

Feel free to contribute anytime. :tup:

Thank you! I'm just right now discovering the other threads. I love reading all your updates. :worship:

jonny golden
May 8, 2023, 9:15 PM
Thank you! I'm just right now discovering the other threads. I love reading all your updates. :worship:

Welcome! We're all also waiting for some big announcements! Hopefully soon.

new kid in town
May 9, 2023, 4:06 PM
Welcome! We're all also waiting for some big announcements! Hopefully soon.

Thank you!

Are there also plans about the city's roads? I know they plan to make a new street where the Indigo parking lot is between Westmorland and Downing, but what about in terms of anticipating heavier traffic due to the population increase? That's not even considering the potholes that are sooo bad.

MonctonRad
May 10, 2023, 12:15 PM
Found on CCD Canada:

SOCIAL HOUSING & CLINIC, MONCTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB169719-23-04

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : May 1, 2023

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($3,430,000)

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW ADDICTION CENTRE & CLINIC -
Located in Moncton, this project estimated at $3 430 000 is in the planning stage. Works concern the renovation or the new construction for an addiction centre and clinic, including housing units.

I'm confused. This sounds like the Salvus Clinic project which fell through several months ago, but this listing is updated as of May 1st. Has there been a change???

MonctonRad
May 17, 2023, 4:46 PM
Things are getting out of control in terms of student populations in the Anglophone East School District.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102112312 (paywall)

The school board has just requested the urgent construction of four new schools in the district:

1) K-8 Moncton North (yes, another one)
2) K-8 Elmwood Drive area
3) K-8 Dieppe
4) replacement k-5 for Bessborough

This is in addition to the other recent asks that have yet to be acted upon:

1) anglophone high school for Dieppe
2) new anglophone high school for Moncton North
3) replacement for Forest Glen and Sunny Brae

And, this also doesn't include the recently approved K-12 anglophone school for Shediac, and the 5-8 school being built on the Bernice McNaughton campus!

Things are just nuts!!!

josh_cat_eyes
May 17, 2023, 6:02 PM
Things are getting out of control in terms of student populations in the Anglophone East School District.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102112312 (paywall)

The school board has just requested the urgent construction of four new schools in the district:

1) K-8 Moncton North (yes, another one)
2) K-8 Elmwood Drive area
3) K-8 Dieppe
4) replacement k-5 for Bessborough

This is in addition to the other recent asks that have yet to be acted upon:

1) anglophone high school for Dieppe
2) new anglophone high school for Moncton North
3) replacement for Forest Glen and Sunny Brae

And, this also doesn't include the recently approved K-12 anglophone school for Shediac, and the 5-8 school being built on the Bernice McNaughton campus!

Things are just nuts!!!

Would it not be cheaper and quicker to make additions to the Evergreen school & Northrop Frye?
Forest Glenn can be adjacent on site, and sunny brea can be built behind the UdM stadium. If you built those two new schools big enough and maybe make them both k-8 should that not negate the need for a whole new school in the elmwood area?

Ifyoubuildit
May 17, 2023, 11:32 PM
Would it not be cheaper and quicker to make additions to the Evergreen school & Northrop Frye?
Forest Glenn can be adjacent on site, and sunny brea can be built behind the UdM stadium. If you built those two new schools big enough and maybe make them both k-8 should that not negate the need for a whole new school in the elmwood area?

Time to expedite opening the Vision Lands for development. Schools in the Vision Lands could service both the North end and Elmwood areas. Development could also be done properly for once with an overall properly executed master plan focusing on: medium-high density (vertical construction), allowing a lot more green spaces, incorporated trails and potentially pocket parks with possibly a central urban park. The land is flanked by major infrastructure that is already in place: Mapleton Road, Wheeler Boulevard and the Trans Canada Highway and it is within the actual urban boundary! The time is now to get this done.

Riberview
May 17, 2023, 11:48 PM
The province only had a $770million surplus this year.

Not sure where the school districts think Higgs will find the money for a school or four.

:runaway:

Portalrules123
Jun 1, 2023, 5:44 PM
The province only had a $770million surplus this year.

Not sure where the school districts think Higgs will find the money for a school or four.

:runaway:

Irving needs more tax breaks, don't you know?

MonctonRad
Jun 6, 2023, 12:28 PM
Gaps in Moncton housing supply include both large and small rental units, report says
Not easy for households with incomes of $90K or less to find houses they can afford, council told
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Jun 06, 2023 7:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-housing-report-rentals-affordability-1.6866414

A very interesting article detailing the shortfalls in the city's current housing strategy.

This morsel was interesting:

Wudrick said action is needed because city staff project Moncton's population to increase by almost 50 per cent by 2046, driven largely by immigration or migration from other provinces.

The CMA population is currently approaching 180,000 (171,000 in 2022). This means that city planners are anticipating a metropolitan population of about 270,000 by 2046.

Hold onto your hats!!!

mylesmalley
Jun 6, 2023, 12:33 PM
The CMA population is currently approaching 180,000 (171,000 in 2022). This means that city planners are anticipating a metropolitan population of about 270,000 by 2046.

Hold onto your hats!!!

To clarify, the estimates the city did were for the municipality, not the whole CMA.

Urban Growth Strategy - Preferred Growth Forecast (https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/0ef32dfbd9c0d95df6041629227772d9ee6779c4/original/1645213162/a43bba33843c4cc191ea9cdac0c516d1_Preferred_Growth_Forecast_EN.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA4KKNQAKIOR7VAOP4%2F20230606%2Fca-central-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20230606T123110Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=d5d19411171f7b15dcc22783f98c384d362eece207b12472c094b75221c77eb0)

Big numbers nonetheless.

MonctonRad
Jun 6, 2023, 1:02 PM
To clarify, the estimates the city did were for the municipality, not the whole CMA.

Urban Growth Strategy - Preferred Growth Forecast (https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/0ef32dfbd9c0d95df6041629227772d9ee6779c4/original/1645213162/a43bba33843c4cc191ea9cdac0c516d1_Preferred_Growth_Forecast_EN.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIA4KKNQAKIOR7VAOP4%2F20230606%2Fca-central-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20230606T123110Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=d5d19411171f7b15dcc22783f98c384d362eece207b12472c094b75221c77eb0)

Big numbers nonetheless.

I was actually wondering that. :)

But, still, I would imagine Dieppe's growth will parallel (if not supersede) Moncton's growth between now and 2047. Riverview's growth will probably lag behind (as well as non urban portions of the CMA), but I still imagine the Moncton CMA will be at least 250,000 by 2047.

adamuptownsj
Jun 6, 2023, 6:16 PM
From an electoral perspective, Moncton is basically going to pick up an MLA in the 2030 boundary redistribution, and possibly 2 more in 2040. If my math is right, 2030 would see a North Shore seat move to Moncton, and 2040 would likely see a Miramichi seat and one of the 3 Moncton+rural seats move to the city proper.

Dieppe and Shediac growth could result in the current (Shediac+Cap-Acadie) + (Shediac+Dieppe) + (Dieppe+Memramcook) configuration end up overpopulated. Perhaps they move to an urban Dieppe seat, a 'downtown' Shediac seat, a Memramcook/exurban Dieppe/Cap-Acadie seat, and a fusion Dieppe-Moncton East seat.

Comparatively, Fredericton would be lucky to pick up a 4th unless they split the north side in half and attach it to rurals, the inverse of what we have now.

Saint John's 4 seats are pretty locked in. Eventually the Lower West will get shifted to Lancaster as the Eastern Charlotte seat will have to expand into the West Side. Harbour and P-S will contract as a stagnant Rothesay and SJ East absorb the difference.

There's going to be a lot of power flowing directly from rural Francophone NB directly to Metro Moncton, that's for sure. 2-4 seats will move directly from the North Shore, Miramichi, and Kent County to the city.

MonctonRad
Jun 14, 2023, 1:44 PM
Shania Twain taking a stroll in downtown Moncton.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/resized.images.us-east-1.tj.news/1411790/desktop/shaniatwainselfie.jpg
Photo from the T&T

Two shows coming up this week at the Avenir Centre.

MonctonRad
Jun 19, 2023, 6:19 PM
Just interacting with a fellow development sleuth.

Apparently, according to his contacts, there are two additional tower cranes currently on order for greater Moncton.

Yet another indication the floodgates are about to burst.

Leroy321
Jun 19, 2023, 7:18 PM
Just interacting with a fellow development sleuth.

Apparently, according to his contacts, there are two additional tower cranes currently on order for greater Moncton.

Yet another indication the floodgates are about to burst.

Are they bigger cranes or just mini tower cranes?

MonctonRad
Jun 19, 2023, 7:54 PM
Are they bigger cranes or just mini tower cranes?

Big'uns I believe.

Photo1
Jun 20, 2023, 1:27 PM
Well this would be something wouldn't it?

Hope the roadway infrastructure right there could handle all that extra traffic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/residential-tower-30-storeys-moncton-1.6881886

new kid in town
Jun 22, 2023, 4:32 PM
Is there a separate thread that discusses Moncton's economic activity/trends, or info about companies that invest in or set up a base (as in macro, not just in terms of franchise or branches as in the retail thread) in the city? Or are they all included here? :typing:

Thanks! :cheers:

MonctonRad
Jun 22, 2023, 4:37 PM

No. This thread is used for general discussions about Moncton, or, for anything that doesn't belong in any other thread. Feel free however to start a new thread if there is a topic of interest that you would like to discuss (and that you think is sustainable in the medium to longer term).

There are some [Moncton] threads that have fallen off the bottom of the list (inactive for more than 100 days). The [Moncton] Active Transportation thread comes to mind. You can find these if you broaden your search to include all threads from inception. Look at "display options" at the bottom of the page in the Main Atlantic section.

new kid in town
Jun 22, 2023, 5:33 PM

No. This thread is used for general discussions about Moncton, or, for anything that doesn't belong in any other thread. Feel free however to start a new thread if there is a topic of interest that you would like to discuss (and that you think is sustainable in the medium to longer term).

There are some [Moncton] threads that have fallen off the bottom of the list (inactive for more than 100 days). The [Moncton] Active Transportation thread comes to mind. You can find these if you broaden your search to include all threads from inception. Look at "display options" at the bottom of the page in the Main Atlantic section.

Thank you! Much appreciated

MonctonRad
Jun 23, 2023, 12:39 AM
Apparently there was a brief Moncton city council session today with only two items on the agenda. This was one of them:

1. We approved the development of a feasibility study for possible convention centre space with CBRE Ltd for a value of up to $60,000.

I am aware that there is a plan floating out there for convention space as part of the Ashford/Downing proposal. Specifically, I think the plan is for "flex space" in the farmers market part of the project which can be used by vendors on a weekend or short term rental basis, but which can also do double duty as a convention space.

This would have no bearing on Ashford's mixed residential/commercial tower, but may be useful in beefing up the replacement city market part of the development.

Monctoncore
Jun 23, 2023, 1:09 AM
I could see the farmers market becoming more than a weekend business, if it’s attached to a large apartment complex.

MonctonRad
Jun 23, 2023, 1:13 AM
I could see the farmers market becoming more than a weekend business, if it’s attached to a large apartment complex.

From what I gathered, the new city market will be multilevel. The ground level will be for permanent vendors and food stalls. The upper levels will be for temporary or weekend vendors. It would be the upper levels that would essentially be flex space.

I could be wrong. Maybe the city is commissioning this CBRE study to look at potential convention space elsewhere. We will soon find out............

jonny golden
Jun 23, 2023, 1:32 AM

Not to mention all the other large apartment buildings slated for construction in the area. As time goes on, any downtown business will have more and more potential customers.

Monctoncore
Jun 27, 2023, 2:05 PM
What sites is everyone using for sharing photos in here now?

Monctoncore
Jun 27, 2023, 2:10 PM

MonctonRad
Jun 27, 2023, 2:24 PM

I use Flickr. It is a little difficult to navigate, but once you get used to it, I find it quite versatile. A free account gives you a storage capacity of 1000 photos. Up to now, I have been just deleting selected older photos to free up room. If you only use it for SSP, I find it gives you 5-7 years of storage space.

OliverD
Jun 27, 2023, 3:05 PM

I use Imgur.

Monctoncore
Jun 27, 2023, 3:45 PM
Thanks! I have both accounts. I’ll have to try and figure it out now!

new kid in town
Jul 8, 2023, 3:10 AM
Anybody else doing the survey? :typing:https://letschatmoncton.ca/planmoncton

adamuptownsj
Jul 12, 2023, 11:54 AM
Looking at PAOL, I noticed an interesting gap in Riverview. From just south of where Wheeler meets Main across the river, there's a long skinny vacant strip without PIDs, in part, between the treatment plant and Point Park Dr to Hillsborough, and between Hillsborough and Bridgedale. Given the alignment with both Wheeler and the brand new Bridgedale, is this a ROW for a never-built bridge?

MonctonRad
Jul 12, 2023, 12:24 PM
Looking at PAOL, I noticed an interesting gap in Riverview. From just south of where Wheeler meets Main across the river, there's a long skinny vacant strip without PIDs, in part, between the treatment plant and Point Park Dr to Hillsborough, and between Hillsborough and Bridgedale. Given the alignment with both Wheeler and the brand new Bridgedale, is this a ROW for a never-built bridge?

Yes.

The ROW exists, but will likely never be used (at least in my lifetime).

jonny golden
Jul 12, 2023, 2:12 PM

And if you follow it south, there's a clear path to the Bridgedale roundabout. So they could have been thinking about it at one time. But I think the two current bridges are going to be more than sufficient for a long time yet.

adamuptownsj
Jul 12, 2023, 2:50 PM
Oh, I know it's not happening. It's just interesting. It actually goes to just west of the Bridgedale roundabout- Runneymeade's ROW goes to the roundabout. On that note, is Bridgedale extending east to Hillsborough (just north of civic address 934) any time soon? What does Riverview's medium-term road plan look like? Is Findlay supposed to eventually parallel Irving Road and connect to Trites?

MonctonPerson
Jul 12, 2023, 4:56 PM
Oh, I know it's not happening. It's just interesting. It actually goes to just west of the Bridgedale roundabout- Runneymeade's ROW goes to the roundabout. On that note, is Bridgedale extending east to Hillsborough (just north of civic address 934) any time soon? What does Riverview's medium-term road plan look like? Is Findlay supposed to eventually parallel Irving Road and connect to Trites?

The town's zoning map shows these future roads: https://www.townofriverview.ca/sites/default/files/documents/archives/riverview_zoning_bylaw_300_07_nov_23_2021.pdf

MonctonRad
Jul 13, 2023, 1:06 AM
Agenda for the July meeting of Moncton PAC

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC/July_26_2023/1_Agenda_Ordre_du_jour_July_26_juillet_2023.pdf

Very ho-hum...............

adamuptownsj
Jul 13, 2023, 2:15 PM
Some of that's interesting: Cardigan/Worthington extension sounds like the big PID (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v=1.0.37&lang=en&pan=06778350) in the northwest bend of Wheeler is finally being developed. Palisades/Neville is likewise a subdivision of the largest PID between Route 15 and the TCH.

Has Moncton ever considered a proper controlled access connection from the top of Wheeler (maybe east of the Mapleton Centre) to the TCH?

MonctonRad
Jul 13, 2023, 2:24 PM
Some of that's interesting: Cardigan/Worthington extension sounds like the big PID (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v=1.0.37&lang=en&pan=06778350) in the northwest bend of Wheeler is finally being developed. Palisades/Neville is likewise a subdivision of the largest PID between Route 15 and the TCH.

Indeed, but this property is already under development for a massive Shannex project (which we really haven't discussed much on the forum). I think this presentation to PAC is just in support of construction of additional assisted living buildings.

Has Moncton ever considered a proper controlled access connection from the top of Wheeler (maybe east of the Mapleton Centre) to the TCH?

No, not really, and it likely won't as it would cut right through the middle of the "Vision Lands", which Moncton continues to have fanciful notions about developing into a master planned community. This has been the city's dream for at least 20 years, and still nothing has happened.

MonctonRad
Jul 17, 2023, 11:34 AM
Highrises prompt extra training, closer look at staffing for Moncton fire department
Union calls for more positions. Points to unchanged staffing since 1970s
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Jul 17, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-firefighters-highrises-1.6905416

For the fire department, any building with six or more floors is considered a highrise. There are now more than 50 buildings that meet that definition in the city.

The fire chief is arguing that eventually staffing levels within the department will have to increase as the city builds up.

habs33
Jul 17, 2023, 1:46 PM
Looks like Moncton is considering allowing car share service

I received this 'Lets Chat Moncton' survey:
Car Sharing in Moncton (https://letschatmoncton.ca/car-sharing-in-moncton?utm_source=ehq_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ehq-New-Survey-Car-Sharing-in-Moncton&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=ehq)

Car sharing is a commercial service that lets you rent a vehicle for short periods (anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours.) Car sharing allows "pay-as-you-go" access to a car for occasional trips, without the expense of having to buy and maintain one's own vehicle. Bigger cities like Montreal and Halifax have had car-share services for years.

We would like to know if there is enough interest in using a car-share service to make one available in Moncton. You can help by filling out a short questionnaire

C_Boy
Jul 17, 2023, 7:10 PM
Highrises prompt extra training, closer look at staffing for Moncton fire department
Union calls for more positions. Points to unchanged staffing since 1970s
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Jul 17, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-firefighters-highrises-1.6905416

The fire chief is arguing that eventually staffing levels within the department will have to increase as the city builds up.

There's definitely some political fluff not to scare anyone, especially the elected officials... but I can tell you that the fire department as well as other city services have nowhere near kept up with the growing city. You would be shocked if you knew how bad it is. Often there are no, or little resources available. Even one active house fire in the city all but drains the city resources. And that's usually not running with ideal personnel on that scene just so there can be a little bit left for other calls. Let alone a high-rise incident that requires far more resources than your typical bungalow.

adamuptownsj
Jul 17, 2023, 7:55 PM
How many house or apartment fires happen a year in Moncton? If it's anywhere like the rest of the country, there's fewer fires now than in the 70s- raw, not just per capita. Maybe stop sending a fire truck to every overdose. That's a terrible misuse of an expensive resource.

C_Boy
Jul 17, 2023, 8:05 PM

From Moncton Firefighters FB Page in regards to 2022 emergency calls:

"In the last twelve months, firefighters from the five city fire stations have completed 11,542 unit responses to 7,023 emergency calls. This amounts to another record breaking year.

Among those emergencies, there were 606 Alarms, 201 Structural Fires, 1,202 Non Structural Fires, and 790 Motor Vehicle Collisions. Moncton Firefighters also responded to many medical assistance requests, gas leaks, off-road and water rescues, and emergency public service calls"

Obviously, like all other public services strained by overdoses, there still are not enough services for all of the emergencies from a city that has doubled since the 70s and has the same staffing. Even if you removed the new social issues that the city is dealing with.

MonctonRad
Jul 17, 2023, 8:15 PM
Maybe stop sending a fire truck to every overdose. That's a terrible misuse of an expensive resource.

The thing is that the fire department can be the first on scene (even before the paramedics get there). This can make the difference between life and death in terms of reversing an opioid overdose with Narcan. Firefighters with appropriate training are perfectly capable of administering Narcan.

Riberview
Jul 17, 2023, 10:29 PM
There's definitely some political fluff not to scare anyone, especially the elected officials... but I can tell you that the fire department as well as other city services have nowhere near kept up with the growing city. You would be shocked if you knew how bad it is. Often there are no, or little resources available. Even one active house fire in the city all but drains the city resources. And that's usually not running with ideal personnel on that scene just so there can be a little bit left for other calls. Let alone a high-rise incident that requires far more resources than your typical bungalow.

amen.

Response time standards aren't being met currently, let alone with any future growth. And I'm talking the CITY'S arbitrary number of something roughly close to "4 minutes to 80 percent of the city, 80 percent of the time."

That is light years worse than any actual firefighting standard. How do you think the folks in Rural Estates feel about that number, now that they're paying for services..

You referenced the resources being drained for a house fire. That's actually sort of a best of worst case scenario. What if one of those older 3 storey walk up apartments has a problem? Well there's a standard there as well, that is nowhere near being met. Nevermind ANY of the new 6 storey plus buildings.

There just aren't enough staff, period.

Fortunately the equipment deficit is being chipped away at. Unfortunately the staffing deficit is a harder sell, for some reason.

I would encourage everyone to watch this video, and then remember there are 21 firefighters on duty today in the city.

https://youtu.be/G9qmMhtNGEs

Riberview
Jul 17, 2023, 10:32 PM
The thing is that the fire department can be the first on scene (even before the paramedics get there). This can make the difference between life and death in terms of reversing an opioid overdose with Narcan. Firefighters with appropriate training are perfectly capable of administering Narcan.

Fact.

And this is the case for four to sixteen overdose calls per day. But yes, by all means stop sending the first responders. While the ambulance is potentially 2 hours away.

And I wish I was joking.

adamuptownsj
Jul 17, 2023, 11:18 PM
Is there no more efficient way to bring junkies back to life every two hours that doesn't involve using fire protection services? This is a wild misallocation of resources that simply didn't exist 20 years ago, population changes aside. A full crew and a fire truck dispatched to often-predictable locations to do a relatively safe thing this often must place a bigger strain on resources than population growth.

Plus you will NEVER have any municipal department, particularly fire or police, say 'we don't need any more staff, any extra budget, or new equipment.' You simply won't.

Riberview
Jul 17, 2023, 11:56 PM
Well, they did open that safe injection site at the corner of Gordon & Weldon Streets.

So now the fire department and ambulance and police go there regularly in addition to Albert St, St George St, Mark Ave, and quite literally every single point in between.

I am certain the powers that be would be open to suggestions.

There have been suggestions a smaller response vehicle could be used for medical calls. Riverview has one and Dieppe has one at both stations.

The issue with this is these stations have 4-5 firefighters on duty, and when 2 go on the medical response, 1 or 2 are called in on overtime to backfill the position to ensure the engine or ladder is adequately staffed.

This overtime model wouldn't work in Moncton for a variety of reasons.

You could staff a small truck per station, but then you need 10 more firefighters per shift, times four shifts.

I would caution against suggesting taking 2 off an engine or truck company 16 times a day, that essentially puts that apparatus out of service, when they're already into response time issues with the current level.

Also remember this crew of 4 on the apparatus are going to the other medical calls as well.

Many hands make the cardiac arrest call run a fair bit smoother, especially considering again the ambulance is potentially very very delayed, through no fault of the medics.

Again I'm sure they're open to suggestions.

adamuptownsj
Jul 18, 2023, 11:25 AM
We should perhaps start arresting narcan recipients for their own safety instead of bringing them back to live every GAME OVER like video game characters. This is a horrendous use of fire services.

Waterloo St has similarly become a constant emergency services trade convention since getting its 'safe injection site'. Safe for who? Local often low-income residents with drug addicts in their yards and vestibules? Businesses that literally can't offer seating or washrooms to customers? The addicts themselves, who require gigantic civic expenditure and misallocation of resources- on the front (injection site) and back (narcan so they can continue to use the injection site) ends?

The 'harm mitigation' strategy of providing a byzantine and expensive set of parallel bespoke services to enable constant injection drug use until death is not working in anyone's best interest. It's killing people, ruining already-rough neighbourhoods, and taxing all emergency services to the limit. Everyone involved deserves better.

Bishop2047
Jul 18, 2023, 12:16 PM
We should perhaps start arresting narcan recipients for their own safety instead of bringing them back to live every GAME OVER like video game characters. This is a horrendous use of fire services.

Waterloo St has similarly become a constant emergency services trade convention since getting its 'safe injection site'. Safe for who? Local often low-income residents with drug addicts in their yards and vestibules? Businesses that literally can't offer seating or washrooms to customers? The addicts themselves, who require gigantic civic expenditure and misallocation of resources- on the front (injection site) and back (narcan so they can continue to use the injection site) ends?

The 'harm mitigation' strategy of providing a byzantine and expensive set of parallel bespoke services to enable constant injection drug use until death is not working in anyone's best interest. It's killing people, ruining already-rough neighbourhoods, and taxing all emergency services to the limit. Everyone involved deserves better.

As one of the overly taxed emergency workers, I would have to disagree with some of your points.

People who chose drugs to escape or cope or whatever are going to use drugs. They will use them regardless of whether there is a clean needle available or a used one. They will use in an abandoned building or a semi-sterile safe injection site. The long term costs of Hebetitis/HIV/AIDs far outweigh that of even frequent Narcan doses, and responder's time.

Safe injections sites do not make more addicts, it only concentrates them in an area, and makes the issue more visible. They were there before. What they did not have before was the access to information and treatment that you are regularly presented with when accessing a safe consumption site. Arresting these users only delays the next dose.

I am not immune to the frustration that comes with "another one of these calls" but I have to remind myself that a couple wrong turns in life and I could be right there with them.

https://ensemblegm.ca/services/#:~:text=The%20ENSEMBLE%20Overdose%20Prevention%20Site,Staff%20supervised%20injection%20booths

BeeTeeOH
Jul 20, 2023, 1:03 AM
As one of the overly taxed emergency workers, I would have to disagree with some of your points.

People who chose drugs to escape or cope or whatever are going to use drugs. They will use them regardless of whether there is a clean needle available or a used one. They will use in an abandoned building or a semi-sterile safe injection site. The long term costs of Hebetitis/HIV/AIDs far outweigh that of even frequent Narcan doses, and responder's time.

Safe injections sites do not make more addicts, it only concentrates them in an area, and makes the issue more visible. They were there before. What they did not have before was the access to information and treatment that you are regularly presented with when accessing a safe consumption site. Arresting these users only delays the next dose.

I am not immune to the frustration that comes with "another one of these calls" but I have to remind myself that a couple wrong turns in life and I could be right there with them.

https://ensemblegm.ca/services/#:~:text=The%20ENSEMBLE%20Overdose%20Prevention%20Site,Staff%20supervised%20injection%20booths

This is one of the most informed, and realistic responses to this "debate" I have seen in ages. Everyone wants to be an armchair Addiction Counsellor, but it's great to hear from some of the people out there doing the good work.

My wife may have seen you giving chest compressions on St. George the other day, and thanks for that. I pray that we can create a more just province where your services won't be needed, but until then I am glad you're there.

It is a shame that our urban landscapes have changed in some ways that are 'unsightly' - but any development demands that we look long and hard at one another and understand that every human being in our community is worthy of empathy and care. That's what strong communities are built on. That's the foundation we need to lay if we want to see development.

adamuptownsj
Jul 20, 2023, 12:28 PM
I can't wrap my head around how letting people spend their entire lives fried on meth screaming at people in the median, intervening only to resuscitate, sometimes multiple times a day, is caring or empathetic. Serious direct intervention is needed- not needles. Not programs. They need to be taken off the streets before they die or hurt other people.

Not knocking first responders, but this is not a tenable solution in the short term, even. Open a long term provincial psychiatric facility. Give it to whichever of Grand Lake and Woodstock doesn't get the prison.

Mattyyy
Jul 20, 2023, 12:54 PM
I can't wrap my head around how letting people spend their entire lives fried on meth screaming at people in the median, intervening only to resuscitate, sometimes multiple times a day, is caring or empathetic. Serious direct intervention is needed- not needles. Not programs. They need to be taken off the streets before they die or hurt other people.

Not knocking first responders, but this is not a tenable solution in the short term, even. Open a long term provincial psychiatric facility. Give it to whichever of Grand Lake and Woodstock doesn't get the prison.

I couldn't agree with this more. There is a lot of sensitivity around this issue. I think the time has come for tough love and forcing people into treatment centers to deal with these issues - it is likely the only way to overcome it. Leaving them on the streets with safe injection sites may take care of risks associated with drug using, but it doesn't help with solving their addiction. While I don't disagree with the first responder above regarding safe injection and I think this could provide help in the short term - it is not a long term solution.

adamuptownsj
Jul 20, 2023, 1:32 PM
I couldn't agree with this more. There is a lot of sensitivity around this issue. I think the time has come for tough love and forcing people into treatment centers to deal with these issues - it is likely the only way to overcome it. Leaving them on the streets with safe injection sites may take care of risks associated with drug using, but it doesn't help with solving their addiction. While I don't disagree with the first responder above regarding safe injection and I think this could provide help in the short term - it is not a long term solution.

It's also cruel to the poor, who have to live among this. And crazy expensive- the amount of money spent by all levels of government plus NGOs to, basically, enable the current set up, must be in the billions. There's probably one 'support worker' employed for every five people on the streets. Homelessess is a business, in a sense.

No one should have to suffer a 'safe injection' site next door to their home or business. No one should have to tolerate druggies stealing their barbecue or bike. No one should be provided expansive infrastructure to do drugs all day, either.

BlackYear
Jul 20, 2023, 8:13 PM
Read a US news article a couple weeks back where some major cities are now offering free public transportation. Seems to be a trending thing. Experts were discussing the pros & cons.

Kinda wondering, what is Moncton's Codiac Transpo annual budget vs how much they collect in revenues.

Would a free year round public transportation work in Moncton? Seeing what the city growth has occurred in the past 5 years and where the city is headed in the next 5 years. Plus there was recent talk about a summer season Codiac Transpo service from Moncton to Shediac.

:shrug:

MonctonRad
Jul 24, 2023, 4:08 PM
Both of the greater Moncton federal cabinet ministers (Dominic LeBlanc & Ginette Pettipas-Taylor) have been recalled to Ottawa pending a federal cabinet shuffle. It will be interesting to see where they end up next.

MonctonRad
Jul 24, 2023, 9:55 PM
T&T article states that a total value of $99.1M in building permits were issued by the city of Moncton in the first six months of this year. Not that much more than Shediac ($76M), but, historically there are often more building permits issued in the fall than the spring, so it will be interesting to see the year end totals.

Aging Hipster
Jul 25, 2023, 7:12 PM
Read a US news article a couple weeks back where some major cities are now offering free public transportation. Seems to be a trending thing. Experts were discussing the pros & cons.

Kinda wondering, what is Moncton's Codiac Transpo annual budget vs how much they collect in revenues.

Would a free year round public transportation work in Moncton? Seeing what the city growth has occurred in the past 5 years and where the city is headed in the next 5 years. Plus there was recent talk about a summer season Codiac Transpo service from Moncton to Shediac.

:shrug:

The good thing about free fares is that it makes getting onboard the bus really fast and easy. The downside is that it leads to people using the bus as just a place to get out of the weather. I don't think the current fare is keeping many people off the bus. It's already an excellent value compared to the true cost of running a car. I do think that fare collection could be made simpler, perhaps with a fare box that can read contactless debit and credit cards, like Toronto and New York are doing. There could be a lot more casual bus riders if the system is easier to use.

OliverD
Jul 25, 2023, 7:15 PM
The good thing about free fares is that it makes getting onboard the bus really fast and easy. The downside is that it leads to people using the bus as just a place to get out of the weather. I don't think the current fare is keeping many people off the bus. It's already an excellent value compared to the true cost of running a car. I do think that fare collection could be made simpler, perhaps with a fare box that can read contactless debit and credit cards, like Toronto and New York are doing. There could be a lot more casual bus riders if the system is easier to use.

I believe the Fredericton bus offers contactless pay now.

I'd argue that if you want to make the bus system more accessible give out free passes to those users that really need them and use the income from fares and passes to improve the system.

OliverD
Jul 25, 2023, 7:17 PM
T&T article states that a total value of $99.1M in building permits were issued by the city of Moncton in the first six months of this year. Not that much more than Shediac ($76M), but, historically there are often more building permits issued in the fall than the spring, so it will be interesting to see the year end totals.

Surprising that Moncton trails Fredericton. I'm sure that will change at some point as we approach the end of the year though.

MonctonRad
Aug 9, 2023, 1:37 PM
Moncton to consider requiring electric vehicle chargers in new developments, homes
Availability of chargers a barrier for some apartment dwellers

Sam Farley · CBC News · Posted: Aug 08, 2023 5:55 PM ADT | Last Updated: August 8
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-considers-requiring-electric-vehicle-chargers-apartments-1.6930729

I for one think that this is a reasonable move (for new construction). In only about a dozen years time, new ICE vehicles will no longer be sold in Canada. It is time to get prepared.