PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

jonn46
Jan 18, 2012, 1:15 PM
Hi All,

Let me first start by saying I have been reading this forum off and on for years but sorry to say I have never contributed any post.
I do a fair amount of business with Highfield Square(amongst other places in the city) and have followed all the posts and rumours over the last couple of years. I know there have been lots of talks between the city and HFS and up to now I didn't think they had come to any agreement. I have to say I think the the news this morning regarding the Aquilini family buying up the property across from HFS is exciting and can't be a coincidence. I can't wait to hear if something else will be released in the next little while. I too have a feeling this is going to be big and as well as very good for Moncton.

Jonn

mylesmalley
Jan 18, 2012, 2:30 PM
This is indeed excellent news. I expect the YMCA building is a heritage structure, so that might complicate things. It'd be a shame to see it knocked down because it does have a lot of character. I'm not sure how easy it is to move a brick structure of that size though.

Hogie75
Jan 18, 2012, 3:00 PM
Also for additional parking issue, on the other side of the tracks by Highfield square, there is the foundry street parking lot that I think the city owns could fairly easily be converted to a parking garage with a pedway over the tracks. I am sure the city wouldn't mind helping out with that. Also Most of Albert Street Industrial area probably could be cleaned up and purchased pretty cheap for additional parking also.

mylesmalley
Jan 18, 2012, 3:49 PM
That's one part of town where nobody can complain about a lack of parking...

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 18, 2012, 4:39 PM
Just as long as the Aquillini's don't plan on tearing down the old "Y" then this is huge news, and can't be a coincidence.

To see that structure torn down would be horrible...it must be a heritage building??

JL

Sushi Guy
Jan 18, 2012, 6:31 PM
Hmmmm...

Vancouver developer buys Moncton properties
Speculation continues over downtown Moncton development
CBC News Posted: Jan 18, 2012 7:10 AM AT

A family of Vancouver billionaires has bought an acre of land from the Irvings in downtown Moncton, which is generating more questions about development plans in the city.

Aquilini Investment Group is a major developer in Vancouver. The Aquilini family, which is estimated to be worth $5 billion, already owns the Crown Plaza hotel and now, they've just bought the whole city block around the downtown hotel.

The block includes the old YWCA building, the former SMT bus terminal and the parking lots that link the buildings.

The family also owns the Vancouver Canucks and the stadium the hockey team plays in, Rogers Arena.

Complete article here...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/01/18/nb-aquilini-moncton-development-624.html

Lets wind-up the Speculation Machine!! :cheers:

On other news, I am also very disappointed on the size of the "Valmond Robichaud" condo building. Is it just me, but should the big condo complex on Gauvin would have been better on Dominion and vice-versa!?!:koko:

mmmatt
Jan 18, 2012, 10:55 PM
On other news, I am also very disappointed on the size of the "Valmond Robichaud" condo building. Is it just me, but should the big condo complex on Gauvin would have been better on Dominion and vice-versa!?!:koko:

You are completely right on that one!

I'm still happy about the Valmond condos because its at least mid density and is WAYYY better than what was there before. That being said I cant help but be disappointed because I was expecting bigger. As for the Gauvin issue, those should have been built either in downtown dieppe or moncton, rather than on a street which was only a country road 15 years ago :P

I'm still holding out hope for Valmonds other project, because I get the sense he wants to go big with that one for sure.

MonctonRad
Jan 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
They tore down the Beijing Express restaurant on Highfield Street today for (wait for it) - more surface parking in the downtown!!! :( :hell: :(

I have recieved a communication from my informant "Deep Throat" assuring me that the ultimate fate of the Beijing Expess (old Bamboo Garden) location on Highfield Street is not to be mere surface parking. The building has been razed and the lot will be used for surface parking in the short term but the longer term plans will be to have the lot redeveloped.

Since the lot is immediately adjacent to the block owned by the Aquilini Group, I'm sure that it's value will suddenly have increased significantly and it should probably be very attractive for redevelopment.

--------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to add my voice to others on this forum who have already expressed hope that the old YWCA building on the Aquilini Group block can be saved. It is easily one of the most distinguished and architecturally interesting buildings in the downtown core. It should be saved if at all possible. :yes:

--------------------------------------------------------

The newspaper that shall not be named had a very strong editorial today in favour of the new location for Moncton High School out at Royal Oaks. The editors were quite critical of the city councillors who expressed reluctance to fund the necessary infrastructure improvements for the new development. The paper had some valid points, but the issue remains that it is sending the wrong message in terms of promoting core densification to relocate the inner city high school to the very edge of town. We really should be enhancing services for the city centre, not relocating them....

mmmatt
Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
In other news Morton Pub is being renovated into a Japanese/Thai restaurant.

Is this the rumored Japanese restaurant? Or will there be one downtown too? The rumored home of the downtown one has been leased by something...

mmmatt
Jan 19, 2012, 12:43 AM
Random stat:

From Jan-Nov 2011 there were 3,403 residential units built in NB.

From Jan-Nov 2011 there were 1,232 residential units built in Moncton CMA.

(estimate) Population of NB: 755,810

(estimate) Population of Moncton CMA: 137,346

Moncton made up 36% of NBs residential unit construction...but only 18% of the population. Hitting exactly 2X above our weight! :)

Source: StatsCan

BlackYear
Jan 19, 2012, 2:54 AM
Aquilini Invesment Group (Owner of the Canucks and the apparent owner of the Rogers' arena in Vancouver) buys the Moncton city block from Irving.

Both companies are billionaires.

Aquilini - already owner of Crown Plaza Hotel. NHL hockey franchise owner.
Irving - owner of the Wild Cats.

Is Aquilini getting ready to redevelop this piece of land into a major convention centre with condo living, retail space, upgraded parking facility, etc?

Did Irving sell this piece of land in secret deal for preparation to invest millions in a partnership deal for a new arena across the street?

Why would a company so far away across the other side of Canada, invest in this piece of land which is owned by local Irving billionaire who is obviously not in financial hardship?

All this news coming out days after the announcement of the demise of Highfield Square and the announcement of Crombie REIT looking for redevelopment of this property.

Folks, I've read the writing on the wall. :yes:

MonctonRad
Jan 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
from CBC

Land deal prompts debate over Moncton development
CBC News Posted: Jan 19, 2012 7:12 AM AT Last Updated: Jan 19, 2012 6:54 AM AT

Vancouver developer buys Moncton properties

The city's plans for a new arena complex were put on hold when the federal government refused to pay for part of the future complex.

However, the recent purchase of a whole city block by a major Vancouver developer is rekindling hope in the city over the construction of a new sports and entertainment venue.

John Thompson, the chief executive officer of Enterprise Greater Moncton, said there is no shortage of speculation on why the Aquilini Investment Group decided to buy all the land around their hotel, the Crowne Plaza.

And Thompson said he is willing to make a few guesses.

"I think it would be ideally suited if you have a sports complex on one side of the road and the convention centre and imagine having a bridge joining the two,"he said.

"Obviously that property is very well suited to that."

Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe Conservative MP, Robert Goguen said he's still trying to find some federal money to help the complex.

The private sector interest in the development could mean less public money would be needed to help the project, he said.

“I think a lot of the negotiations that are going on are behind closed doors for very good reasons,” Goguen said.

The Aquilini family, which is estimated to be worth $5 billion, already owns the Crowne Plaza hotel and now, they've just bought the whole city block around the Moncton hotel.

The block includes the old YWCA building, the former SMT bus terminal and the parking lots that link the buildings.

The family also owns the Vancouver Canucks and the stadium the hockey team plays in, Rogers Arena.

The development company also owns hotels, office buildings, at least 45 Pizza Hut franchises, a golf course and a movie set.

The Aquilini family’s track record in the sports and entertainment industry would be an important asset for Moncton.

There have been ongoing discussions, and a series of reports, surrounding the need for a new $100-million downtown facility that would replace the 40-year-old Moncton Coliseum.

The new venue would help the city attract bigger entertainment acts during winter months.

A consultant recommended building a 9,000-seat hockey rink in 2009, which would be an improvement on the coliseum's seating capacity of 7,200.

Another task force report, which was launched by the city, called for a downtown sports and entertainment complex.

Revitalizing downtown Moncton

Thompson said the high profile of the Aquilini family also gives Moncton's project a boost.

“The good news story is that we have a company that's very diverse, that has experience in the sports industry ... taking up the major part of our downtown,” he said.

Thompson said this land deal and the closure of Highfield Square mall are likely to be critical in the eventual revitalization of the city's downtown.

"I don't think anything's coincidence. I mean you have to look at the history of the family, in terms of they've been buying property. They've been diversifying their business and they do things strategically," he said.

"So I would think that what's happening with the [Highfield Square] property is related to what's happening across the street."

The Enterprise Greater Moncton official said it is important to realize how far the city has come in the last few decades.

“There was a time in Moncton when the downtown was boarded up, but now we're at a point where when companies come in, such as we're seeing now,” he said.

“They're buying large chunks of land, large lots of land.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note - They interviewed John Thompson on CBC Radio about this this morning as well. In the interview, he rambled on a little bit about other positive developments in the greater Moncton area (such as the new McKesson distribution centre. He did let it slip that UPS had chosen Moncton to be a regional air cargo hub. We have speculated on this before, but this is as close as we have come to a formal announcement. :)

Mattyyy
Jan 19, 2012, 1:53 PM
Development
Condo project planned for Riverview

By Eric Lewis

Times & Transcript Staff
19 Jan 2012 08:40AM

A new high-end residential development appears planned for Gunningsville Boulevard, south of Findlay Park in Riverview.

A sign on the property near Riverview’s toboggan hill advertises phase one of a condominium project called The Villas At Brydon Brook, referring to a brook that runs behind the land in question.

According to the sign, phase one of the project is planned for 2012. The two-bedroom, two-bath condos are advertised as 1,400 square feet (130 square metres) each, with private balconies and a garage for each.

The condos start at $239,900.

More to follow.

http://www.telegraphjournal.com/tjonline/timestranscript/8887781-314/planned-project-riverview-brook.html.csp

Grav
Jan 19, 2012, 2:22 PM
As a retro retail and shopping mall enthusiast I was wondering if anybody has any old photos of Highfield Square or knows of any sources of where i can obtain copies?

The mall opened in 1969 and looks it on the outside, but from what ive seen on my visits to Moncton the inside is a result of a late 80's early 90's renovation so all the grooy 1960's features and decor are long gone. I always wondered if there was ever a fountain, tree's/planters or a sculpture in its center court. Any info would be great!

kirjtc2
Jan 19, 2012, 5:46 PM
On Monday's CBC NB news they showed black and white footage of the mall from the 70s. You can probably still find it online.

[Found it: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/NB/1305552294/ID=2187620491 ]

BlackYear
Jan 19, 2012, 9:40 PM
On Monday's CBC NB news they showed black and white footage of the mall from the 70s. You can probably still find it online.

[Found it: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/NB/1305552294/ID=2187620491 ]

What a horrible report from the CBC. It doesn't shock anyone about the closer of the mall, it was just a matter of time. The time has now come.

The hand full of shop owners left in the mall shouldn't be shocked either. Month to month leases should tell you something.

As for the destruction of The Bay square brink box, I'm glad to see it bulldozed. That ugly building does (did) nothing for me.

Can't wait to see those architectural renders of the new arena. :banana:

And that female reporter at the end of the news clip made it sound like downtown Moncton was in complete despair. :hell:

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 19, 2012, 9:58 PM
What a horrible report from the CBC. It doesn't shock anyone about the closer of the mall, it was just a matter of time. The time has now come.

And that female reporter at the end of the news clip made it sound like downtown Moncton was in complete despair. :hell:

It's a pretty common angle from the mainstream news media: downtown is crumbling! You get it in Halifax all the time. Mall closures like this say more about changing retail tastes than they do about the health of a downtown IMO.

I don't know Moncton that well, but from my few visits it's obvious that mall sucked the life out of that section of town. Just a couple of blocks away there's some great main street areas, but that mall was not pulling it's weight. A sea of parking draws no one downtown. Time to move on to something more in tune with a vibrant, pedestrian-scaled downtown. This is a huge opportunity for Moncton.

someone123
Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
They also mentioned the classic "revitalization" and the need to "bring people back". Unfortunately lots of cities buy into those (somewhat facile) bits of advice and attempt to improve their downtowns by doing things like subsidizing major retailers, prettying up streets, or building parking garages.

I don't know a ton about Moncton either but I suspect the best way to improve the downtown would simply be to build more residential units in that area. If 10,000 people moved in there would be a market for far more retail, and those residents wouldn't need much parking. The city would save on servicing costs and downtown commuters would be going against traffic, reducing the need for new roads.

Because Moncton is a growing city it is perfectly realistic to redirect more development downtown. You don't need a huge market for high-end condos -- the infill can be a mix of townhouses and apartments. The loss of parking from building on the lots is pretty much a non-issue because if there's high demand developers will include parking in their proposals.

mylesmalley
Jan 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
It's a shame to see the Bay leaving downtown. It's the only traditional department store we have left, after all. But I don't think it's actually added anything to the area. The rest of the mall is really only good at (marginally) filling in the streetscape along Main. Unfortunately the whole place is one storey except for a few small sections. A big empty low rise building is only slightly better than a parking lot.

Architecturally, there's nothing much worth keeping from the whole lot.

That said, I sincerely hope if the mall is demolished that something comes together quickly.

As for the rest of downtown... to an outsider, there hasn't been a lot of change in the past decade because Main has been relatively stable. There has been dramatic change everywhere else though. There has been an amazing resurgence along St George St, for example. Infill is finally starting to happen at a noticeable pace.

Steelcowboy
Jan 20, 2012, 1:01 AM
Ok, take this with a grain of salt!!! we've been somewhat discussing the UPS warehouse and where it would be. Today I had heard from an airport employee that UPS is building a warehouse near MALLEY's, apparently the land has already been cleared off. I did drive by that area and noticed a section that has been cleared off just before Malley's. I'm not sure if this would be the location for UPS or not. Can someone have an ear to find out what is that land being cleared for. I know someone that works at Malley's and he had said that they will be building a new facility very close by or adjacent for their military contract. As an aviation enthusiast, I do welcome the news of UPS using Moncton as a air cargo hub :) I think we'll be losing 1 of the Purolator 727's but as long as one stays i'll be happy :) maybe if we're lucky we'll see some of the big birds that UPS flies. I think around Canada its the 757 and or the A300.

mylesmalley
Jan 20, 2012, 1:21 AM
The lot near us that has been cleared will not be for UPS. I don't know if they've announced publicly who it is, so I won't say here. That lot is going to be home to a fairly substantial building to be used for warehousing. UPS may well be considering something across the street from us, but I haven't heard anything. Down by Purolator would make a lot more sense, IMO.

As for us putting up another building... we haven't received any contract yet. We won't know until late spring who gets it. If we do get it, we'll need quite a bit more space than we currently have, but no decision has been made whether we'll lease, rent, build anew, etc. Believe me, you guys will be the first to know.

NBNYer
Jan 20, 2012, 2:07 AM
The lot near us that has been cleared will not be for UPS. I don't know if they've announced publicly who it is, so I won't say here. That lot is going to be home to a fairly substantial building to be used for warehousing. UPS may well be considering something across the street from us, but I haven't heard anything. Down by Purolator would make a lot more sense, IMO.

I would think UPS needs direct access to the runway, the south side of the airport would make sense.

As for us putting up another building... we haven't received any contract yet. We won't know until late spring who gets it. If we do get it, we'll need quite a bit more space than we currently have, but no decision has been made whether we'll lease, rent, build anew, etc. Believe me, you guys will be the first to know.

How's the market like for this kind of business? Any fierce competitors that are in the running?

mylesmalley
Jan 20, 2012, 2:26 AM
I would think UPS needs direct access to the runway, the south side of the airport would make sense.

The north side of the airport would give direct access to the extended runway, but there's no large apron connected to it. It would be a big project get all the other infrastructure in place.

How's the market like for this kind of business? Any fierce competitors that are in the running?

We're only a part of the overall job, if we get it. Components for the vehicles would be built all over Canada, shipped to Dieppe and then assembled by us. There's more to it than just that, but that's the Cole's Notes.

The actual contract is being bid on by four companies that each lead a consortium of some kind of Canadian companies that will do the work. As for competition, it's a huge contract. It's being bid on by huge companies.

MonctonRad
Jan 20, 2012, 3:56 PM
The editorial in the newspaper that shall not be named today was interesting. They of course welcomed the news of the purchase by the Aquilini Group of the remainder of the city block surrounding the Crowne Plaza hotel. Although there is no definite evidence that this purchase is linked to the death throws of Highfield Square across the street, the paper admitted that it was interesting and natural to speculate about the possibilities for a new events centre and that the Aquilini purchase was a "tremendous vote of confidence" in the future of the downtown core of the city.

This is all very true, but in a tremendous reversal of logic, the last line of the editorial stated something to the effect that, given the expected future economic success of the core, having a high school in the downtown might not be the best use of land and as such, we should rejoice the relocation of Moncton High to a discontiguous subdivision several km north of the TCH.

I was incredulous when I read this. To me, a dynamic and growing downtown should mean accelerating population growth and densification which in turn should mean increased needs for vital services in the downtown like an urban high school!! :koko:

Halifax has a modern downtown high school (Citadel High), why not Moncton too!!

I wonder why the newspaper has taken such an obvious editorial stance in favour of Royal Oaks High School?!?

BlackYear
Jan 20, 2012, 5:02 PM
I wonder why the newspaper has taken such an obvious editorial stance in favour of Royal Oaks High School?!?

Makes me kinda of glad they released this paywall so that I don't need to frustrate myself by reading some of the crap they put out!

My apologies for the lack of contribution with this post.

riverviewer
Jan 20, 2012, 8:07 PM
More on Highfield - my contacts at Purolator's call center have not yet been told where they will move to. I wonder how much floor space their contact center requires now to be found.

jonn46
Jan 21, 2012, 12:46 PM
More on Highfield - my contacts at Purolator's call center have not yet been told where they will move to. I wonder how much floor space their contact center requires now to be found.

Puro also has three floors next door in the Terminal and Plaza building. I for one hope they just move the HFS contact center over to the Terminal building.

MonctonRad
Jan 21, 2012, 1:47 PM
Couple of tidbits from the "sleuth" in the newspaper that shall not be named.

- The folks at Downtown Moncton Inc (DMCI) are planning on talking to all of the soon-to-be-displaced tenants from the mall-entering-rigor-mortis (Highfield Square) to encourage as many of them as possible to fill the vacant storefronts in the core.
- Jewelery store What on Earth will soon be decamping Champlain Place. They were negotiating moving from their kiosk to a full storefront but this was given the kibosh because (as previously mentioned), the mall has decided to deal exclusively with national retailers. The storefront they were looking at has been rented so What on Earth is SOL. The sleuth speculated that they also could be candidates to head downtown.

So, given the shenanigans going on at both Champlain Place and Highfield Square, it seems that there may be some other stores following Colpitt's Mens Wear in a return to the core. This could be very good for Main Street! :tup:

BlackYear
Jan 21, 2012, 4:31 PM
When, I say when the events center gets the go-a-head and begins to break ground on the Highfield Square lot, retailers will be fighting for store fronts all over Main st. My suggestion, get the space now while you can. :yes:

As for Purolator's exit from the mall, I hope they move over into the CN Plaza building. Easy transition for them. I'm pretty sure there's space for lease.

I was looking over Aquilini's portfolio of developments. Very impressive collection of extremely modern properties. Love their style. This brings up a question. With the purchase of the city block, are the 4 or 5 small shops (Reid's Newsstand, restaurant, chocolate store, etc.) in jeopardy? Could this hotel extension and the old bus terminal be heading for the dumpster to make room for a new store front/convention centre/multi level condo units?

MonctonRad
Jan 21, 2012, 4:55 PM
I was looking over Aquilini's portfolio of developments. Very impressive collection of extremely modern properties. Love their style. This brings up a question. With the purchase of the city block, are the 4 or 5 small shops (Reid's Newsstand, restaurant, chocolate store, etc.) in jeopardy? Could this hotel extension and the old bus terminal be heading for the dumpster to make room for a new store front/convention centre/multi level condo units?

Very good point! The Crowne Plaza Hotel itself is not very architecturally inspiring, but the property has been recently renovated so I don't think the hotel will be taken down (I could be wrong though). :)

The retail plaza next door though (where Reid's is), I think will absolutely be toast. I envision new storefront retail on this section of the block with at least a 2-3 storey convention facility in behind, connected directly to the hotel, and to a new multilevel parking garage to be built at the rear of the property. This will all connect via a new pedway across Main Street to the new arena/events centre (and whatever other amenities might crop up on the old Highfield Square site).

The Highfield Square site is a large parcel of land and could include a number of interesting things in addition to the arena/events centre itself. Things like a new downtown transit terminal, additional retail and parking, a condo tower, restaurants, pubs and an IMAX theatre come to mind.... :D

There is no question that this section of downtown will be unrecognizable in five years time. :tup:

One of the most interesting questions is "what will become of the old YWCA Building". That structure is an architectural gem and should be preserved at all costs. I think it's location at the rear of the Aquilini property at the corner of Highfield and Campbell streets might offer it some protection. If a retail presence were extended up Highfield from the hotel, then a renovated and preserved YWCA building could be incorporated into the streetscape. I think the YWCA Building would make a nifty higher end restaurant!! :yes:

Devin Adams
Jan 21, 2012, 5:49 PM
Hi all, I have been reading this for a while now and have not posted anything. I was wondering is this whole highfield event center is actually happening?? I'm 17 years old and am interested in the development of my home town and have been for a few years now. Thanks for all the posts I have learned many thinks form you fine people.

MonctonRad
Jan 21, 2012, 6:23 PM
:previous:

Greetings Devin and welcome to the forums. :)

The brief answer to your question is that nothing is carved in stone and everything about the events centre that you have read on the forums is pure speculation.

However, where there is smoke there is often fire.

There has to be some reason for Crombie REIT to close down Highfield Square. In particular, it was a pretty rash move on their part to kick their largest tenant (The Bay) out. It also can't be mere coincidence that the Aquilini Group secured the ownership of the entire city block across the street.

The city wants an events centre to anchor the downtown. Robert Irving wants a new arena to avoid scheduling conflicts around the Wildcats playoff schedule. Promoters want a new arena because the coliseum has a low ceiling, a poor sound system and poor HVAC. The city also needs upgraded convention space downtown.

We now have three sets of billionaires in on the action (Sobeys, Irvings and Aquilinis). Two major contiguous city blocks downtown are now in play for redevelopment. I think the stars have become sufficiently alligned to know where this is all heading.

Despite all the official denials, I'm sure that heavy duty secret negotiations must be going on between federal, provincial, municipal and private interests and that something definitely will be announced for this site at some time in the short to medium term.

These negotiations may take some time as every party involved will want to make sure that their interests are protected and lawyers will be in no rush to vette whatever agreement transpires. The more people involved, the more complex the process becomes. Regardless, I'm certain that you will be going to hockey and basketball games as well as concerts and shows in a new 9-10,000 seat downtown events centre fairly soon, perhaps as early as 2015, maybe as late as 2018, but this will happen; I'm certain of it!! :tup:

ballain
Jan 21, 2012, 7:14 PM
Very good point! The Crowne Plaza Hotel itself is not very architecturally inspiring, but the property has been recently renovated so I don't think the hotel will be taken down (I could be wrong though). :)

The retail plaza next door though (where Reid's is), I think will absolutely be toast. I envision new storefront retail on this section of the block with at least a 2-3 storey convention facility in behind, connected directly to the hotel, and to a new multilevel parking garage to be built at the rear of the property. This will all connect via a new pedway across Main Street to the new arena/events centre (and whatever other amenities might crop up on the old Highfield Square site).

The Highfield Square site is a large parcel of land and could include a number of interesting things in addition to the arena/events centre itself. Things like a new downtown transit terminal, additional retail and parking, a condo tower, restaurants, pubs and an IMAX theatre come to mind.... :D

There is no question that this section of downtown will be unrecognizable in five years time. :tup:

One of the most interesting questions is "what will become of the old YWCA Building". That structure is an architectural gem and should be preserved at all costs. I think it's location at the rear of the Aquilini property at the corner of Highfield and Campbell streets might offer it some protection. If a retail presence were extended up Highfield from the hotel, then a renovated and preserved YWCA building could be incorporated into the streetscape. I think the YWCA Building would make a nifty higher end restaurant!! :yes:

Well seeing that from an investment point of view, I don`t think the YWCA building will be preserved, cost to maintain the building is wayyy to high, and the fine that the city will issue will be alot less then the cost to renovate, with that being said it gives you the opportunity to build to suit you afterward. Thats my opinion however historic property don`t do nothing for me.

Devin Adams
Jan 21, 2012, 11:07 PM
I feel it would be sad to see the building destroyed but, Moncton need this kind of development to get a vibrant Downtown for everybody. I my self live minute away from Down Town and would love to see the west side of Downtown with some nice mid or high rises and store front. On to the YWMCA I think they should do something like at the peace center and add it to the development or it least make a tribute to it.

RyeJay
Jan 22, 2012, 3:16 AM

Sprawl increases demand for the products sold by Irving.

Happy drivin'!

pierremoncton
Jan 22, 2012, 3:39 AM
The YWCA building is protected by the heritage bylaw, which, from my understanding, can't be demolished without first getting approval from the city and without satisfying certain conditions, one of which is an attempt to sell the building at fair market value. The building (and lot) is assessed by the province at $34,100, but was sold (presumably to Aquilini) in May for $250,000. $34k seems awfully low and $250k awfully high, but I don't know how much of the parking that surrounds it is actually part of the property.

This is all wild speculation, but perhaps by paying so much for it, they knew they would inflate the "fair market value", leading to a "failure" to sell it whenever comes time for them to bulldoze it.

Halifax Hillbilly
Jan 22, 2012, 1:38 PM
This is all very true, but in a tremendous reversal of logic, the last line of the editorial stated something to the effect that, given the expected future economic success of the core, having a high school in the downtown might not be the best use of land and as such, we should rejoice the relocation of Moncton High to a discontiguous subdivision several km north of the TCH.

I was incredulous when I read this. To me, a dynamic and growing downtown should mean accelerating population growth and densification which in turn should mean increased needs for vital services in the downtown like an urban high school!! :koko:

Halifax has a modern downtown high school (Citadel High), why not Moncton too!!

Saint John has two downtown High Schools - SJ High and St. Malachy's. The students provide a lot of activity downtown throughout the day and I'm sure the businesses appreciate a couple hundred more customers. I agree with you completely - city centres need services like schools. Not only do they make it more attractive to live there because of the service, they provide even more activity. A diverse mix of uses is key - just ask Jane Jacobs.

Dec72011
Jan 22, 2012, 2:56 PM
Interesting tid bit to add to the rumor mill- staff at The Bay this weekend were telling the public that they are looking for a new Moncton location.

P Unit
Jan 22, 2012, 4:00 PM
That would be great news. I usually stop by the Bay when I'm in town and the past few times I've been there I was surprised at how busy it was. I hope they don't end up out on Mapleton, though.

NBNYer
Jan 22, 2012, 4:54 PM
Interesting tid bit to add to the rumor mill- staff at The Bay this weekend were telling the public that they are looking for a new Moncton location.

That would be great news. I usually stop by the Bay when I'm in town and the past few times I've been there I was surprised at how busy it was. I hope they don't end up out on Mapleton, though.

This sure is an interesting rumor! We know that The Bay had no intention of leaving the city, but I assumed that having their lease terminated would have them give up on New-Brunswick. The Bay doesn't do the BigBox store model and are usually located in suburban malls or in downtowns. This really limits their options for another Moncton location. Maybe they could be integrated within whatever gets built at Highfield, hopefully there will be a retail component. Aside from that, I really don't know where they would end up, unless there is a major shake up at Champlain.

MonctonRad
Jan 22, 2012, 5:33 PM

This is indeed surprising and I wonder if it is not just wishful thinking on the part of the local Bay employees

Still, as NBNYer says, it seems that the Bay was kicked out of the mall and, all things being equal, otherwise would have stayed. In other words, The Bay had not given up on the Moncton market.

Also as NBNYer said, The Bay does not do power centres and their retail model centres around standalone downtown stores and suburban shopping malls. This gives them very few options in the Moncton market.

Champlain Place is the only mall left in town and is full. The Sears location at the mall is not going to move. Wal-Mart possibly could move when the new supercentre format hits town but recent comments on the forum have suggested that the Plaza Blvd Wal-Mart has been slated for conversion and that the Champlain Place location would be left as is.

This only leaves the Champlain Place Sobeys as an intriguing possibility. It is a bit incongruous to have a grocery store in a "fashion mall", and the Regis Street Sobeys is literally across the street. Maybe Sobeys could be convinced to decamp the mall and build a new east end location, either on Harrisville Blvd or in uptown Dieppe. If they did, the footprint of their Champlain Place store would be big enough for a Bay store, especially if it were two stories tall.

The last possibility would be if The Bay did build a standalone downtown store, perhaps on the southwest corner of the Vaughan Harvey/Main Street intersection. I doubt that this would happen, but if it did, combined with the Aquilini block and an events centre at the old Highfield Square site, it certainly would amount to a complete makeover of the entire west end on the downtown core.

BlackYear
Jan 22, 2012, 7:43 PM
If The Bay is looking at another location in Moncton, perhaps downgrading square footage of sales floor may be an option.

Another option would be to strike a deal as a major tenant with Aquilini. If a new convention center/retail/condo complex is in the plans, The Bay may fit right in with their vision.

And if so, The Bay could relocate temporarily in the Co-Op building on Record street. Cleve's Sports will be out by then.

:D

ballain
Jan 23, 2012, 3:44 AM
For the lot that have been cleared on Harisville Blvd, (Across from Impact Auto) , I heard from a good source that they are suppose to put a a Marriott Hotel, however note that I have not confirmed this myself

MonctonRad
Jan 23, 2012, 4:01 AM

Hmmm, another airport hotel to compete with the Holiday Inn Express Moncton Airport location. :)

If you are correct, I wonder what brand it would be. We already have the Marriott Residence Inn downtown. I would therefore wonder about a Courtyard by Marriott.

The site in question is adjacent to the exit off Route 15, so it would be an ideal location for a hotel. It's close to both the Caledonia and Dieppe Industrial Parks as well as the GMIA and just up the road from the Holiday Inn Express and the Super 8 Hotel. Hotels often like to cluster together, so I could see the logic of putting a new hotel here. :)

Dec72011
Jan 23, 2012, 11:52 PM

Perhaps HBC would flip the Zellers not acquired by Target (downtown) into The Bay?

MonctonRad
Jan 24, 2012, 3:34 AM
Perhaps HBC would flip the Zellers not acquired by Target (downtown) into The Bay?

An interesting idea, but I'm not so sure that is a desireable enough location for them. Still, they could probably move in there almost immediately if they wanted to.

I still think this rumour is based on nothing more than wishful thinking on the part of the Bay employees.

MonctonRad
Jan 24, 2012, 5:17 PM
Champlain Place News:

The typical post Christmas reorganization and renovations at the mall are ongoing. A number of stores are moving or renovating with about a half dozen storefronts now closed off.

A couple of the boarded off storefronts have building permits posted at present:
- Booster Juice is moving into the old Things Engraved location.
- Soft Moc is relocating to the old Roots location.

I would say a couple of big things are in the offing, but it's too soon to say exactly what's going on.

mmmatt
Jan 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
For the lot that have been cleared on Harisville Blvd, (Across from Impact Auto) , I heard from a good source that they are suppose to put a a Marriott Hotel, however note that I have not confirmed this myself

Your source was correct! I passed by today and they have put up a sign:

Coming summer/fall 2012: Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott :D

No picture posted but i did a quick search and they seem similar to the new Holiday Inn down the road, as we assumed it would. Competition for "airport hotels" is heating up now, with a nice little row building up. Marriott, Holiday Inn and Super 8 :)

Here are a couple examples...I would bet it will be this format, most likely 3-4 floors.

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/s/satfn/satfne01.jpg
source: Marriott (http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/san-antonio.hotels.texas.united-states.fairfield-inn.travel/)

http://images.hotels-world.com/2//org/223/hotelPhoto/6756_Fairfield_Inn_and_Suites_by_Marriott_Boston_North.jpg
soruce: Hotels World (http://www.hotels-world.com/tp.hotels.in/revere-massachussets-/hotel.248817/massachusetts.boston.revere/fairfield-inn-by-marriott/fairfield-inn-and-suites-by-marriott-boston-north.htm)

Final note: It would be very much to the benefit of this hotel to have a proper interchange built in front of the airport!

Steelcowboy
Jan 25, 2012, 1:32 AM
Yippie, more jobs! any word on how the MID on the west end is making out. Besides ACTION are there any other warehouses opening out out there?

mmmatt
Jan 25, 2012, 1:55 AM
Yippie, more jobs! any word on how the MID on the west end is making out. Besides ACTION are there any other warehouses opening out out there?

Im glad you asked because I had not checked up in a while...did a little digging and MIP has a new PDF newsletter out for Jan 2012: MIP Jan 2012 (http://www.mid.nb.ca/media_uploads/pdf/3330.pdf) ...Near the end there is a map that shows an additional 4 lots have been sold/optioned. Two of which are next to / across the street from Action. So the entrance to the new park is spoken for. The other two lots are near the center of MIP West.

MonctonRad
Jan 25, 2012, 3:43 AM

There is a sign up on the (two) optioned lots on the inside of the MID West industrial park, with a picture of a large proposed building and an announcement of available multi-tenant leaseable warehouse space. i noticed it the other week but forgot to post the news here.

Steelcowboy
Jan 25, 2012, 3:39 PM
From my emails in the NBRAILS Yahoo groups:

"It was reported in the Moncton 'Times & Transcript' (Tuesday Jan.24,12) that IRSI is receiving a payable loan from the Feds (ACOA)of $1.5 million to refurbish a 40,000 square foot building on Edinburgh Drive where components for their VIA RDC rebuilds can be assembled. I don't know if this mystery building is equipped with a rail siding."

and an update to this:

"They bought a building on the right hand side going north on Edinburgh, was a media/print building. Transcontinental I think it was called. Almost across from Delong. So no rail access. They hired a truck driver not long ago (from what I was told) and I guess that will be part of his duties. Also, all the fabrics for the cars are being done over at their fabric mill, on Mill road."

In case someone was interested in this.

STEELCOWBOY

David_99
Jan 25, 2012, 6:03 PM

In case someone was interested in this.

Thanks! I was wondering what would come of that place. I used to work at Transcon before she shut down. It needs a bit of work. I remember the snow and rain pouring through the corners of the warehouse during storms.

Norshorer
Jan 26, 2012, 1:03 PM
Source = http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/01/26/nb-malley-defence-contract-816.html

Malley Industries fights for defence contract
CBC News
Posted: Jan 26, 2012 8:41 AM AT
Last Updated: Jan 26, 2012 8:36 AM AT

A Dieppe company is partnering with a U.S. firm in an effort to win a $1-billion contract to build 750 armoured military vehicles for the Department of National Defence.

Malley Industries is partnering with South Carolina-based Force Protection Industries in a bid that would construct 750 tactical armoured patrol vehicles.

If successful, Malley would do all the work in New Brunswick, creating about 120 jobs as well as up to 500 more through spinoff work.

Steen Gunderson, an official with Malley Industries, said it could also mean up to 500 more jobs through spinoff work.

"Us working with companies locally to share that around and offer that to the guys within the region. So we can all benefit. And we can all develop our businesses,” he said.

Malley Industries employs roughly 75 people and is known as an ambulance manufacturer.

The facility was used by Prime Minister Stephen Harper during the 2011 election as a backdrop for a speech on economic development.

The nickname for the vehicle is “Timberwolf”

Widespread benefits

Several companies from around New Brunswick are trying to become involved with the Timberwolf project.

Gordon Green, the president of MetalFab in Centreville, a company that normally builds fire trucks, said his company's track record is a perfect fit for Timberwolf.

“They always have to work right the first time. That is what they're looking for here for the military as well, for vehicles that work properly every time,” Green said.

Wayne Guitard, who owns a Minto-based metal fabrication company, said he is also looking to help out in the defence project.

Guitard said if his company is successful in supplying parts for the Timberwolf project, it would mean a great deal for his community.

“We would benefit financially and we would benefit in certainly our community, getting jobs in our community,” he said.

Malley Industries is competing with three other companies for the lucrative defence contract.

The federal government will make its decision on Malley and three other bidding companies by June.

Hats-off to Myles! Lots of good publicity for your company as well as potentially major economic benefits across the province. :tup:

mylesmalley
Jan 26, 2012, 2:38 PM
I'll gladly take credit for it, but I really don't have anything to do with the Timberwolf project. :notacrook:

That said, it is an exciting project and we're really hoping to get it. As I've said before, for selfish reasons it would obviously be good for the company, but the real benefit is to the manufacturing sector all over the Maritimes. It isn't on the scale of the shipbuilding contract, but nonetheless will create hundreds of stable manufacturing jobs for years and will be a big shot in the arm for the local economy.

Mattyyy
Jan 26, 2012, 5:27 PM
From today's Times & Transcript

More development in Riverview?

Times & Transcript Staff
26 Jan 2012 08:25AM

A new commercial development appears planned for Riverview’s Findlay Park.

The project is planned for land Crombie REIT owns, on Findlay Boulevard in front of Canadian Tire.

More details to follow.

MonctonRad
Jan 26, 2012, 6:11 PM

This would likely be for the rumoured "fast food restaurant" that we heard about several months ago. Speculation is for a relocation of the McDonald's restaurant in Riverview.

bam63
Jan 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
From today's Times & Transcript

There is also a new Lawtons penciled in for that general area.

mmmatt
Jan 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
^ cool, findlay is really coming along as of late!

In other news I passed by the old building at the corner of St George and Archibald that is being renovated today...noticed a new poster on it so I snapped a pic with my cell...It seems to show that they plan to expand the building in the future! :)

This corner is already the densest area in town outside of main street with the cathedral and commerce house...

Combine that with this development and the proposed 7 floor Killam building across the street and you have some big time density building on this corner!

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5866/42895755725276498511540.jpg

Also the Valmond apartments have a wall going up in the middle of the top of the building...not sure what its for...roof access maybe? Seems a bit much for a 4 floor building...have to keep an eye on that one.

Mattyyy
Jan 27, 2012, 3:05 PM
From today's Times

Alward making Moncton announcement

Times & Transcript Staff

27 Jan 2012 09:41AM

Premier David Alward is in Moncton Friday morning to make what he describes as a major economic-development announcement.

The premier is expected to make his announcement at the new McKesson Canada pharmaceutical distribution centre, which is opening soon in the Caledonia Industrial Estates.

Alward is also expected to speak on the role of Invest NB, the new Crown corporation responsible for aggressively looking to attract businesses to New Brunswick, and clarify his government’s position on a $1 million contribution, made by the previous Liberal administration, to a new Transportation Discovery Centre on Mountain Road in Moncton, which is expected to more than double the size of the Moncton Museum.

Updates to follow.

brod3211
Jan 27, 2012, 5:23 PM
McKesson Canada confirms $25M centre in Moncton
Company is consolidating Maritime facility in Moncton
CBC News
Posted: Jan 27, 2012 12:16 PM AT
Last Updated: Jan 27, 2012 12:26 PM AT

McKesson merging Maritime operations in Moncton

McKesson Canada is investing $25 million into a distribution business in Moncton that will serve the Maritime region.

McKesson Canada is moving to a new distribution centre in Moncton’s Caledonia Industrial Park, where it will employ 90 people.

The new centre will hire 40 new workers on top of the 50 existing employees the company had at its previous facility.

Nick Loporcaro, the president of McKesson Canada, said the new centre will enable the company to generate more efficiencies for its customers.

“This is an important decision for McKesson Canada as it also provides more flexibility and potential to offer new distribution services to our Maritime customers while taking into account current and future needs,” Loporcaro said in a statement.

The Friday morning announcement is a confirmation of the company’s decision to locate its Maritime distribution centre in Moncton.

The company previously had separate facilities in Moncton and Halifax.

Premier David Alward said attracting companies, such as McKesson, to New Brunswick is a key part of the province’s economic development strategy.

“Working with first-rate companies, like McKesson Canada, is a critical part of Invest NB’s plan to grow the provinces gross domestic product and create a stronger, more sustainable economy,” Alward said in a statement.

Alward said Invest NB, the province’s Crown corporation that is responsible for economic development, will work with the company to “ensure all future economic opportunities are realized to their full potential.”

The new jobs will add more than $2.2 million in new gross domestic product for the provincial government in the current fiscal year.

Alward foreshadowed the McKesson Canada announcement in Thursday's State of the Province speech in Fredericton. The premier was discussing the need to attract more businesses to the province.

"The time has come for us as a province to be far more proactive in bringing job creators to New Brunswick," he said on Thuresday.

McKesson Canada, which distributes pharmaceuticals and products to health-care providers, has distribution centres around the country.

The company says its distribution centres supply 40 per cent of the medicines used in Canada to 6,300 retail pharmacies and 1,350 hospitals, clinics and institutions.

mylesmalley
Jan 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
It's great news, but didn't the CBC report that before Christmas?

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2012, 12:55 AM

I'm sure they did but Premier Alward was in town for the "official" announcement, so I guess they felt compelled to report it again.... :)

On another note, it seems that the province is becoming reluctant to pony over their share for the Transportation Discovery Centre at the Moncton Museum. It's only a $1M contribution on a $10M project, and almost all the other funding has been committed (even from the feds), so I think it would be false economy on the part of the province to renege now. Come on Mr. Premier, it's time to step to the plate!

Finally, I heard from a usually reliable source today that The Bay will stay open in it's current location now until September. If this is true, I wonder if this lends some credence to the rumour that they might in fact be looking for a new location in the city. By staying open longer, it keeps their options open, wouldn't it.....

NBNYer
Jan 28, 2012, 1:39 AM

Finally, I heard from a usually reliable source today that The Bay will stay open in it's current location now until September.

I thought the whole mall was closing in April. How can this be?

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2012, 2:09 AM

The Bay was going to close in April. Crombie gave the other tenants the option of staying as long as the fall.

Good2go
Jan 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
Bouclair coming to Trinity Drive, Cleve's prepares for move and The Bay stays open a little longer

BY ERIC LEWIS
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
01/28/2012

Moncton is to be the next home for a long-standing Canadian retailer that has been expanding across the country over the last few years.

Bouclair, a Quebec-based home decor retailer, will open on Trinity Drive in March.

Marie-Emmanuelle Khoury, media co-ordinator for the company, said yesterday that Bouclair's slogan is 'home fashion, smart value' and that the store offers new products every week with the latest in colours and styles.

<snip>

And there's more development taking place in the north end of Moncton.

Cleve's Source for Sports recently vacated its Trinity Drive location and is currently located in the old Co-op store on Record Street in downtown Moncton.

That location is temporary as the retailer waits for its new home in the Mapleton Power Centre across from Costco to be ready. Construction is underway, but a timeline on exactly when the store will move to its new location was unavailable yesterday.

Last July at a Moncton council meeting, development plans for the Mapleton Power Centre were handed out that identified five retailers as anchors for the shopping complex.

While developer Ashford Construction later said that not all of the stores are confirmed, electronics giant Best Buy; housewares chain Bed, Bath and Beyond; pet supplier Petsmart and sporting goods chains Golf Town and Cleve's were named on the plans.

Cleve's has since been confirmed, and a golf sporting store was mentioned in December's building permits report for the city.

Kevin Silliker, director of business and tourism development for Moncton, said yesterday that the city is clearly still attractive to retailers.

'It's been really busy so far this year as far as inquiries and development we're hearing might be happening,' he said, noting that the private sector is going to drive development in 2012, rather than government.

Silliker, of course, couldn't say what rumblings he is hearing about as far as retail establishments go.

That's up to developers and the stores themselves, but he did say that there has been a number of retailers signing on to various developments in the area.

He also said many of them want to be open in time to take advantage of the fall back-to-school season, so we can expect more stores to open in summer and fall.

Silliker also noted that the city has been in contact with The Bay, which recently announced its intentions to leave Moncton since Highfield Square is closing.

'We did reach out,' he said. 'I just felt like we couldn't have a company like The Bay pulling out of the market.' The Bay had planned to close in April, but the company released a statement to the Times & Transcript yesterday confirming that it would stay open until Sept. 1.

Silliker said The Bay executives have told the city that the market in Moncton is clearly strong and that they would love to stay here. The Bay said in a statement earlier this month that it has 'no plans at this time to open another store in Moncton,' but Silliker said he wouldn't be surprised if The Bay comes back to the market in the future.

He said he hopes developers are approaching The Bay with possible ideas for a new home.

On the horizon in 2013 is Moncton's first Target store, which will take over Zellers on Mountain Road. The future of Zellers on Main Street is still unknown.

Silliker also addressed the consistent chatter in the city that Starbucks might open a standalone location or two. He said the city has been in contact with the famed coffee company many times, but he hasn't heard anything recently to suggest that the company is planning to open a new store in the area. A representative for the coffee chain was unable to provide any information regarding potential Moncton locations.

Two Starbucks locations exist in Dieppe - one in Champlain Place and the other in Chapters.

In Riverview, Kent Building Supplies is expected to open its Coverdale Road store in the spring.

Also on the horizon is a new development on Sobeys-owned land next to Findlay Boulevard in front of Canadian Tire. Which businesses will move into the strip mall is unknown, but it is expected to have room for five tenants.

DocBraces is also planning a location in Riverview, on Gunningsville Boulevard just off Findlay.

Cordova Realty is advertising space for lease in a planned professional arts building, with DocBraces, an orthodontic clinic, to be the first tenant. The building is expected to open in about two years.

The general manager of Dieppe's economic development corporation, Pierre Dupuis, said that three major projects are in development in the city.

Jean Coutu is already confirmed for a new location on Dieppe Boulevard, and it may open as soon as spring.

Also in the Dieppe Boulevard area, another retailer is moving in, but Dupuis couldn't say who it is.

It is expected to open this year or next.

And another business in Metro Moncton is opening a new location in Dieppe, doubling and possibly tripling its current location, but again Dupuis wasn't at liberty to say which business it is.

He also pointed out that Footech, a custom foot orthotics and footwear retailer, is opening a new location on Acadia Avenue.

I was in Cleves on Thursday, and asked a clerk how long they would be in the downtown location. She said they hoped to move by March 21.

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
:Finally, I heard from a usually reliable source today that The Bay will stay open in it's current location now until September. If this is true, I wonder if this lends some credence to the rumour that they might in fact be looking for a new location in the city. By staying open longer, it keeps their options open, wouldn't it.....

The Sleuth in the newspaper that shall not be named confirmed today that the Bay is indeed staying open until September and also alluded to the fact that options are being explored to find an alternate location in the greater Moncton area!!

Perhaps the final chapter of this story has not yet been written!! :tup:

I'm beginning to seriously wonder about the East Main Street Zellers location. The Bay could move in there rather painlessly.

BlackYear
Jan 28, 2012, 4:10 PM
The Sleuth in the newspaper that shall not be named confirmed today that the Bay is indeed staying open until September and also alluded to the fact that options are being explored to find an alternate location in the greater Moncton area!!

Perhaps the final chapter of this story has not yet been written!! :tup:

I'm beginning to seriously wonder about the East Main Street Zellers location. The Bay could move in there rather painlessly.

Yes, that would be a painless move for sure. They could even just detach the "The Bay" lighted sign from the current location and move it over.

With the new bank almost complete at the Superstore entrance, and if something could be done with the King/Main street piece of land next to Staples asap, East Main street is pretty much filled. Traffic in this area is already nuts, just imagine later...

If Valmount (or whomever the name is) doesn't do anything with the King/Main street piece of land soon, why not hand it over to Aquilini. :)

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/richards_by_aquilini_investment_group_92822923195513222.jpg

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2012, 5:03 PM
http://imganuncios.mitula.net/richards_by_aquilini_investment_group_92822923195513222.jpg

So, this is one of Aquilini's projects out west.......

Wouldn't this look nice next to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Now, just imagine this connected by pedway to an arena/events centre across the street. :rolleyes:

Now try to imagine an integrated downtown transit terminal, storefront retail, pubs and restaurants across the street incorporated into the events centre. Imagine the acres of surface parking replaced by multilevel parkades.

Finally, imagine the hotels and condos springing up in the surrounding neighbourhood with all of this development stimulated by the strategic investment by all three levels of government in a downtown events centre..... :yes:

MonctonRad
Jan 30, 2012, 1:45 PM
The newspaper that shall not be named had an article this morning about Oulton College's new campus on War Veteran Avenue behind the YMCA.

The new building will consolidate all their programs except for their dental technology programs, which will stay in their building just down the street on Vaughan Harvey Blvd.

Oulton has an enrollment of 500 students which is pretty impressive. With their new campus, they plan on establishing new programs in licenced practical nursing, home care support worker, and executive office administration.

This is an architectural rendering of the new building:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/4aa8bd1a.jpg

Sushi Guy
Jan 30, 2012, 5:02 PM

Does that mean that they are planning on closing their main campus on Lutz St.??

MonctonRad
Jan 30, 2012, 5:17 PM

Yes, they are relocating.

Dec72011
Jan 31, 2012, 12:42 AM
The newspaper that shall not be named had an article this morning about Oulton College's new campus on War Veteran Avenue behind the YMCA.

The new building will consolidate all their programs except for their dental technology programs, which will stay in their building just down the street on Vaughan Harvey Blvd.

Oulton has an enrollment of 500 students which is pretty impressive. With their new campus, they plan on establishing new programs in licenced practical nursing, home care support worker, and executive office administration.

This is an architectural rendering of the new building:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/4aa8bd1a.jpg

Fugly!

mmmatt
Jan 31, 2012, 1:50 AM
Fugly!

Well its 1000% better than the featureless aluminum box they are in now...and the design fits the location. Suburban commercial...it will fit in well with the YMCA, CGI, Asurion, Exxon, Liquide Air etc. Its also great news they are adding to their programs! :)

MonctonRad
Jan 31, 2012, 4:04 AM
Well its 1000% better than the featureless aluminum box they are in now...and the design fits the location. Suburban commercial...it will fit in well with the YMCA, CGI, Asurion, Exxon, Liquide Air etc. Its also great news they are adding to their programs! :)

Agree totally. Much better than their current building. The location also makes sense in that it is right next to the YMCA. This would be very popular with students and also it should be noted that some programs (law enforcement) already used the YMCA facilities for student training and conditioning.

You also have to keep in mind that this is a private college and there is no public funding being used for construction. As such, it is not surprising that this building will not be an architectural masterpiece. It will be modern, functional and will blend into the suburban commercial neighbourhood quite well.

Norshorer
Jan 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
Source = http://www.news919.com/news/local/article/325392--retail-sector-still-growing-in-greater-moncton (Rogers News 91.9)

Retail sector still growing in Greater Moncton
Long delayed Mapleton Power Centre is finally set to open this summer
Allan Dearing - News Staff Jan 31, 2012 06:01:47 AM

MONCTON, NB - As one retail complex prepares to close in Greater Moncton, another is about to open later this year.

Highfield Square may be going dark but the lights will soon be turned on at the new Mapleton Power Centre.

Quebec-based home decor retailer Bouclair and Cleve's Source for Sports are two of the confirmed stores for the new centre which was delayed by the recession.

Other rumoured retailers include Best Buy, Bed, Bath and Beyond and Petsmart.

Kevin Silliker is Moncton's Business and Tourism Development Director.

"A lot of people look to Moncton as a retail destination. That is something that fits very well for us and we continue to expand upon that."

In Riverview, Kent Building Supplies is opening a new location this spring on Coverdale Road and Findlay Park continues to be developed.

In Dieppe, businesses continue to open along Dieppe Boulevard including a new Jean Coutu later this year.

I'm glad to see Best Buy is still one of the "rumoured" stores for the MPC (Mapleton Power Centre).

Would be nice if MEC (or even REI) would soften their stance on NB and decide to build a new store at the MPC. I'm sure the local camping & outdoor fitness crowd would love saving an almost 3 hour drive to Halifax if we had one in our own back yard.

Also nice to see Dieppe Blvd. continue to get new retail. I used to live out that end of town several years ago and wow, what a change a few years makes!

EDIT: Oops, just noticed Good2go's post further above. Guess News 91.9 is a few days late with this info.

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 31, 2012, 3:00 PM
I too would love to see a MEC here, but don't they typically like to go into the 'downtown' core of a city when they do open?

I'd read somewhere they like older buildings and having a street front presence versus the 'box store' mentality...that said...MEC would be great downtown somewhere ;)

JL

NBNYer
Jan 31, 2012, 3:18 PM
I too would love to see a MEC here, but don't they typically like to go into the 'downtown' core of a city when they do open?

I'd read somewhere they like older buildings and having a street front presence versus the 'box store' mentality...that said...MEC would be great downtown somewhere ;)

JL

They usually do like to set up shop in downtowns and more urban settings. Although the one in Montreal in the Ahuntsic area at the "Marché central" is more suburban-ish.

They would indeed be a great addition to downtown Moncton, it is an awesome store. I remember a forumer here saying that they had contacted them for a possible franchise in the city but they were not interested in NB at the time.

ithree
Jan 31, 2012, 4:29 PM
They usually do like to set up shop in downtowns and more urban settings. Although the one in Montreal in the Ahuntsic area at the "Marché central" is more suburban-ish.

They would indeed be a great addition to downtown Moncton, it is an awesome store. I remember a forumer here saying that they had contacted them for a possible franchise in the city but they were not interested in NB at the time.

As much as I love MEC, I would welcome Atmosphere (formerly Coast Mountain Sport) to Moncton as a substitute any day. Owned by Forzani group, they have a store in Halifax (combo store with Sportchek) and they're all over Quebec.

Heck if I would have the guts, I would open my own outdoor adventure store in the city.

NBNYer
Jan 31, 2012, 4:54 PM
Heck if I would have the guts, I would open my own outdoor adventure store in the city.

Do it! :tup:

curious
Jan 31, 2012, 9:02 PM
As much as I love MEC, I would welcome Atmosphere (formerly Coast Mountain Sport) to Moncton as a substitute any day. Owned by Forzani group, they have a store in Halifax (combo store with Sportchek) and they're all over Quebec.

I contacted a bunch of stores including mec to see if I could open a franchise. No luck :(

Steelcowboy
Feb 1, 2012, 6:37 PM
Hey there peeps, as some have seen in front of Taylor Ford on the CN tracks, there's work thats being done to widen it..i suppose. Does anyone have have any details on this. I recieved this email from the Atlantic Rails Yahoo group. It shows some bridge girders travelling through Neenah,Wi. Apparently its suppose to be heading to Moncton. These parts are huge!! Check them..hopefully the link works.

http://wc2scale.org/zenphoto/wc-railcars/wc-36000-series-flatcars/wc-35610-01-30-2012-bridge-parts-for-moncton-nb-henry-nye-photo.jpg.php

Steelcowboy
Feb 1, 2012, 6:40 PM
http://wc2scale.org/zenphoto/wc-railcars/wc-36000-series-flatcars/wc-35610-01-30-2012-bridge-parts-for-moncton-nb-henry-nye-photo.jpg.php
Try that ;)

Good2go
Feb 2, 2012, 12:14 AM
Hey there peeps, as some have seen in front of Taylor Ford on the CN tracks, there's work thats being done to widen it..i suppose. Does anyone have have any details on this. I recieved this email from the Atlantic Rails Yahoo group. It shows some bridge girders travelling through Neenah,Wi. Apparently its suppose to be heading to Moncton. These parts are huge!! Check them..hopefully the link works.

From the Jan 27, 2012 Times-Transcript...

"Cranes reach skyward as they swing pile-driving units into place as crews work away on the replacement of a rail bridge on the main line into Moncton beside Lewisville Road. The project is expected to last until summer."

MonctonRad
Feb 2, 2012, 9:10 PM
I see that there was a tender issued in the paper today by the city for the construction of the Transportation Discovery Centre at the Moncton Museum.

I wonder if this means that the province is now on board for their $1M contribution to the overall $10M construction costs..........

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2012, 3:05 PM
According to the newspaper that shall not be named, the new Cleve's in the Mapleton Power Centre will be a new concept combo store:

In addition to it being a Source for Sport franchise, it will also be an Ocean Trail Source for Adventure, specializing in camping, rock climbing and hiking equipment. This explains a previous rumour on this thread about the new store having a rock climbing wall....

The combo store will be 16,000 sq ft. There are a few other Source for Adventure stores in Ontario and the west, but this will be the first one in Atlantic Canada. :tup:

mctnguy
Feb 3, 2012, 6:59 PM
Hey Guys, I stopped in to the Sony Style store and it looks like they are closing Feb 22. The signs posted thanked the customers for 22 years in Moncton, so I'd guess they are not reopening elsewhere. They are clearing out merchandise. Kinda sad to see them go. :(

theshark
Feb 3, 2012, 7:11 PM
I think moving out of Champlain to their current location was not a wise move for them

mctnguy
Feb 3, 2012, 8:17 PM
You could say that Sony's... gone out of style...

http://files.sharenator.com/csi_yeah_skyline_RE_Justin_Bieber_gets_shot_s449x287_138348_580_Awesome_Demotivational_Posters-s449x287-211859-580.jpg

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2012, 9:32 PM
Sad to see the Sony Store go, but I am also not entirely surprised by this turn of events.

Sony Store is in trouble in a number of markets in the country and the chain is contracting in size. I am pretty sure that the original plans were for the store to move into the Mapleton Power Centre when it vacated Champlain Place, but when the original iteration of Mapleton tanked, they decided to move to the Northwest Centre instead. I didn't think this was a good location and the few times I was in there, the place was dead. Mapleton would have been a much better location.

Given the Sony Stores location right next to the Zellers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they diidn't just incorporate this space into an expanded Target store when renovations for that begin later this year.

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2012, 9:52 PM
This has been alluded to before, but I have it on good authority that Dieppe Auto has been purchased (I won't say by who), and that in tbe near future there will be a brand new VW/Audi dealership out by the GMIA, close to the existing BMW/Mini dealership.

It appears that if you want a high end European import, you'll have to make the trek out to the airport to do your shopping......

NBNYer
Feb 3, 2012, 10:12 PM

That's great, its about time Audi got a decent dealership, that place on Champlain was starting to look decrepit, especially compared to the (munichien) competition.

NBNYer
Feb 3, 2012, 10:16 PM
You could say that Sony's... gone out of style...

http://files.sharenator.com/csi_yeah_skyline_RE_Justin_Bieber_gets_shot_s449x287_138348_580_Awesome_Demotivational_Posters-s449x287-211859-580.jpg

Nice :haha:

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
On ATV News this evening:

Steve Murphy confirmed that the Bay in Moncton may indeed be staying open. The Bay has been impressed by the outpouring of popular support in the city. The store has always been profitable. The city has been intensely lobbying the chain to stay in the metro area.

Things are apparently looking positive!

:banana::banana::banana:

No indication where the new location would be, but the simplest solution by far would be to open up in the East Main Street Zellers location.

YYCguys
Feb 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
Ah but is that Zellers location large enough for the Bay? At currently just over 66,000 sq. ft., it would need to add a second floor to meet the square footage of the Bay at its current location (121,000 sq.ft.). And what is to become of that Zellers: closing down/staying open?

David_99
Feb 3, 2012, 11:28 PM
Research funding spat in Moncton
www.cbc.ca/nb/

Scientists in Moncton say they’ve lost out on the opportunity to get up to $9 million in funding to set up a bio-medical research centre and that the president of the local francophone university is to blame.

The Atlantic Cancer Institute, l’Université de Moncton and Vitalite Health Network had put together a proposal to establish a research centre at a former junior high school, located beside the Dr. Georges L. Dumont Hospital.

They were hoping to get about $2.6 million from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation, which could have triggered other federal and private funding, said Martin LeBlanc, chairman of the board for the Atlantic Cancer Research Institute.The money could have been used to renovate the building, set up the lab with equipment, hire up to 60 people and conduct research. But the president of the university refused to sign off on the proposal the day of the deadline, said LeBlanc.

“Funding from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation doesn't come around very often and we had a golden opportunity here to position ourselves for a major funding,” he said.

“The ramifications of this are quite significant.”

University president Yvon Fontaine contends he backed out because he found out the old school might be slated for demolition.

“We learned at the last minute that the Vanier school, the status of Vanier school had not been decided politically,” he said.

LeBlanc is disappointed. If that was a concern, it should have been raised, he said.

“U de M decided of its own will, without really letting us know in advance, not to submit this letter of intent, which disqualifies us from being able to go this distance on this process.”

Joey Caissie, the CEO of the francophone health network, agrees. He said he was blindsided by the president's decision.

“The university did not consult, with myself, or at least with some of our employees, to say, ‘By the way, I will not be sending in this letter of intent,’” Caissie said.

Fontaine said he only got word of the status of the school hours before the deadline.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/02/03/nb-moncton-research-centre-funding.html)

mylesmalley
Feb 4, 2012, 12:02 AM
Well that's disappointing....

NBNYer
Feb 4, 2012, 12:12 AM

Very disappointing. This is the kind of investment that doesn't come around very often and that other cities would kill for.

I still don't understand the President's reasoning. That building hasn't been used as a school for a few years now.

What could ever be so significant as to say no at a chance for this kind of project??? :koko:

Norshorer
Feb 4, 2012, 2:42 AM
Source = http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/02/03/nb-digital-media-incentive.html

Digital media worth investment, says group
CBC News
Posted: Feb 3, 2012 2:18 PM AT
Last Updated: Feb 3, 2012 6:25 PM AT

An economic development group in Moncton is urging the provincial government to implement an incentive program for digital media companies.

Enterprise Greater Moncton has conducted a study that shows digital media and video game development are two of the fastest growing sectors in Canada.

The new report, called Levelling the Playing Field, says the New Brunswick government has to make an effort to attract and keep high-tech companies.

It says digital media and video game development companies attract young people and provide high-paying jobs, but that the province needs to do more to support the industry.

John Thompson, chief executive officer of Enterprise Greater Moncton, said he wants the province to consider a 30 per cent rebate on labour costs.

"Essentially it'll be a bit of a wash," he said. "They're not going to realize new revenues, but at the same time we're not going to encumber the industry from moving forward."

George Donovan, president of Gogii Games in Moncton, said a 30 per cent rebate is reasonable.

"You can move to Amherst and get a 42 per cent rebate and the province is currently talking about a 30 per cent rebate. I mean it's still significantly less, but we're willing to make the investment and the commitment here if the province is willing to kind of start investing in our business again," Donovan told CBC News.

Officials at Enterprise Greater Moncton said they are encouraged that there have been discussions with the provincial government about the incentive program.

As someone who works in the IT sector, I can vouch that any form of incentive for IT businesses (be it game programmers, call center workers, etc.) is something that can only aid (what seems to be, at times) a struggling market.

The fact that the NB Gov is actually paying attention and are discussing possibly adopting a system similar to NS' incentive program = good news for the IT Sector (after hearing about call centers starting to shut down all over the province).

There are a lot of neat programming & animation studios right here in Moncton (and Miramichi, if I'm not mistaken), but nobody ever knows about them because most can't afford to advertise their presence. With this incentive program, revenue savings won't be immediate as noted in the article above, but maybe after a few years they might be able to use whatever savings they earn to create marketing material that could help draw in clients from across North America or elsewhere.

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2012, 2:20 PM
Ah but is that Zellers location large enough for the Bay? At currently just over 66,000 sq. ft., it would need to add a second floor to meet the square footage of the Bay at its current location (121,000 sq.ft.). And what is to become of that Zellers: closing down/staying open?

Well, I said that moving into the East Main Street Zellers location would be the simplest solution, not the most ideal solution. I have absolutely no inside knowledge as to what is actually going on here.

- the Northwest Centre Zellers is going to be converted to a Target.
- the fate of the East Main Street Zellers at the Superstore Mall is uncertain. While some Zellers locations may stay open as is, the fate of the chain is pretty much sealed and the only Zellers that won't be converted to Target or shuttered will probably be in small town markets. I therefore have no confidence that the East Main Street store will stay open in any event.
- The Bay has to vacate Highfield Square by the end of September because their lease was terminated. They apparently now want to remain in the Moncton market, but there are very few options for them in terms of relocation. The only "real" mall left in the city is Champlain Place and there is no suitable space available in the mall for them to move into. The Wal-Mart or Sobeys spaces at the mall might be a consideration, but this would entail displacing a long term tenant (that may not want to move) and major renovations.

It would seem the only readily available space would be the East Main Street Zellers. I absolutely agree that this is not ideal, both in terms of square footage and location, but perhaps the Bay would consider moving here as an intermediate term temporary solution (several years), while the retail situation in the metro area sorts itself out.

Key questions:
- will Wal-Mart vacate Champlain for a new Supercentre location (unlikely).
- will Sobeys vacate Champlain in favour of a new neighbourhood grocery store in the Uptown Dieppe/Harrisville area. (in either of these two scenarios, the Bay could renovate and then occupy the Wal-Mart or Sobeys spaces).
- could a new downtown development including an events centre incorporate enough space for a new standalone Bay department store in the core.
- would the Bay consider investing money in the East Main Street Zellers location to make the site a permanent home for the Bay.

The next few years will be quite interesting on the retail front.