PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

pierremoncton
Dec 8, 2012, 3:51 AM
How big were those "oil tankers" a hundred years ago? I just can't imagine anything the size of a modern tanker in the Petitcodiac, even fully restored.

http://vintagemoncton.com/wp-content/gallery/ships/petty.jpg
Source: http://vintagemoncton.com/sailing-the-petitcodiac/

MonctonRad
Dec 8, 2012, 12:05 PM
:previous:

They would have been small coastal tankers such as this:

http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/images/borkumlady.jpg

I'm sure ships this size were able to make it up the Petitcodiac as far as Moncton at least until the early 1960's. They would just have had to plan their trips with particular attention to the tides.

Myles is right, the Petitcodiac was never the Rhine and has always been an ugly duckling river with a silty brown colour and a narrow navigable channel. Moncton however is built where it is for a reason. It sits at the (former) head of navigation on the Petitcodiac. We started out as a shipbuilding town.

A hundred years ago, the river was a km wide, but most of that was mud flats at low tide. Now it is marshland.

No matter what we do with the causeway, the Petitcodiac will never return to it's former state. We should try and maximize the river width as much as we can, but the Petitcodiac in the future will be defined more for it's riverine marshes than anything else. That's OK though, we already have extensive trails on both sides of the river and we have a virtual wildlife highway right through the centre of the city. This can be made into a virtue and a pivot for active lifestyle development. In Moncton, you can live in a modern downtown condo and be only a 10 minute walk from a linear park with 20 km of trails and scenic marshland vistas and wildlife viewing platforms. This can be a selling point, don't you think? :)

RyeJay
Dec 8, 2012, 2:54 PM
A cruise industry would be interesting, but again the lack of infrastructure would be a big kicker. You've made it abundantly clear that you're opposed to cities in New Brunswick spending any money with debt. The river would need significant dredging. Biggest problem if you ask me though is the fact that the river is pretty unnatractive as far as rivers go. I'd sooner spend my money visiting port cities with character with spectacular harbours like St. John's and Halifax than gazing at the sweeping vistas of the Outhouse Point mudflats!

I support stimulus spending, even when it causes debt -- as long as the investment will eventually see a return. My issue is that the Maritime provinces are in so much debt that most of our investments aren't supported by our own dollars; the investments are made possible by 'have' provinces. What I find unfair and irresponsible is that so many investments in NB are often certainly not going to see a return, because Moncton is choosing against allowing its tax base to densify naturally. With the constant sprawl and low tax rates accompanied with sprawled properties, the debt required for the development of this sprawl will never be paid for.

In terms of a cruise industry in Moncton, though you don't speak highly of the area's geological setting, this issue can be easily renovated with additional landscaping using colourful species of trees and plants. Beautiful White Paper Birch trees, native to the Moncton region, lining the waterfront would go a long way, for example...

The Moncton area also has the cultural advantage of being very Canadian. The city has blended anglophone and francophone cultures (so unique that you honestly cannot find it elsewhere in this country, or anywhere else in the world for that matter), lots of hockey games and many Tim Hortons -- very decent shopping and entertainment. With an improved downtown, Moncton would be downright charming! It'd be the perfect destination for tourists seeking a relaxing, less hectic city in which to have the 'Canuck Experience'. :yes:

That's not to say the waterfront could use a lot of work and also has a lot of potential. There's next to no residential on the Moncton-side of the river between the causeway and Dieppe (a ways inland). On the Riverview side however, there has been quite a bit of development, especially apartments and condominiums. Granted, the view from Riverview is a lot nicer, but that doesn't mean there isn't demand for housing in the area. As I've said before, I think the biggest constraint on development there is the cost of land in other parts of the city being low enough that the extra expense of building downtown is harder to justify.

If the city were to draw a border around its current infrastructure, and reform taxes so that the amounts were virtually equal across the entire city: downtown Moncton would explode with new development proposals! I would find this absolutely wonderful! And about damn time, I think. :)

As long as the city allows itself to build outward, it cannot build inward and upward.

Building vertically would bring more jobs to the Moncton area because the construction of mid-to-highrise towers is more labour intensive than the labour required for low-density construction.

RyeJay
Dec 8, 2012, 3:01 PM
No matter what we do with the causeway, the Petitcodiac will never return to it's former state.

Water erosion would gradually create again what it created before. The Petitcodiac is capable of restoring itself, if we remove the causeway.

That's OK though, we already have extensive trails on both sides of the river and we have a virtual wildlife highway right through the centre of the city. This can be made into a virtue and a pivot for active lifestyle development. In Moncton, you can live in a modern downtown condo and be only a 10 minute walk from a linear park with 20 km of trails and scenic marshland vistas and wildlife viewing platforms. This can be a selling point, don't you think? :)

I absolutely agree.

pierremoncton
Dec 9, 2012, 3:05 AM
Sorry.

http://i.imgur.com/2wL2m.jpg

MonctonRad
Dec 9, 2012, 4:48 AM

If life gives you a lemon then you have to make lemonade, right? :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 10, 2012, 1:31 PM
The Petitcodiac without the causeway/gates would in fact restore itself to quite a river, it already has. If you look at the state of the river before the gates opened it is now 'much' wider and deeper, the tidal bore is actually visible now and you can see the power in it.

I don't see us ever becoming a 'port', but that said I do see us having a 'waterfront'. I see us having shops, and entertainment along the river. I see perhaps in the future a marina with some sort of lock system that when the tide goes out the boats in the marina stay afloat, I see a tourist industry waiting to boom with boating tours of the Petty and the Bay of Fundy, and much more...the possibilities are quite endless.

The river has come a long way, but we can't settle for what we have now, get rid of those gates and widen the river at that point a bit with a bridge and watch the river really take off!

MonctonRad
Dec 10, 2012, 4:19 PM
The Petitcodiac without the causeway/gates would in fact restore itself to quite a river, it already has. If you look at the state of the river before the gates opened it is now 'much' wider and deeper, the tidal bore is actually visible now and you can see the power in it.

I agree completely, but unless the feds are willing to pony up their share of the $100M cost of replacing the causeway, it ain't gonna happen. We need to maximize the virtues of the current (partially) restored river. This includes promoting the trails and the natural features of the marshland.

I don't see us ever becoming a 'port', but that said I do see us having a 'waterfront'. I see us having shops, and entertainment along the river. I see perhaps in the future a marina with some sort of lock system that when the tide goes out the boats in the marina stay afloat, I see a tourist industry waiting to boom with boating tours of the Petty and the Bay of Fundy, and much more...the possibilities are quite endless.

Agreed. Moncton will never have a working waterfront again, but most cities with downtown waterfronts have seen them undergo gentrification in the last 20-30 years anyway. The riverfront can be defined by it's trail network but that doesn't mean that (in places), it also can't have commercial development as well. Any commercial development should serve as a connection between the city and the river. The Chocolate River Station could easily accomplish this function by having a restaurant facing on the boardwalk and river. The Landing at the Bend in Moncton also could do a lot more to integrate the river into it's overall presentation. I mean, why doesn't Pisces restaurant have a patio on the boardwalk there? This is a lost opportunity.

The river has come a long way, but we can't settle for what we have now, get rid of those gates and widen the river at that point a bit with a bridge and watch the river really take off!

We will have to wait for the feds on that one. Concentrate on the trails for now, build commercial service nodes at select points along the trail network and perhaps think about a (third) pedestrian crossing of the river near the bend. If you do all this then pedestrian traffic on the trail network will increase substantially and this will in turn make the people of Moncton more connected with their river. If people begin to care more about their river then you may start to see a cycle of continuous improvement in the Petitcodiac riverfront. :yes:

mylesmalley
Dec 10, 2012, 5:59 PM
I mean, why doesn't Pisces restaurant have a patio on the boardwalk there? This is a lost opportunity.

I'm guessing mosquitos. They aren't too bad by the time you get to the stretch of trail between Halls Creek and the Cenotaph, but they'll carry you away if you aren't covered in repellant or going at a good speed on a bike most evenings anywhere else.

NBNYer
Dec 10, 2012, 8:19 PM
I'm guessing mosquitos. They aren't too bad by the time you get to the stretch of trail between Halls Creek and the Cenotaph, but they'll carry you away if you aren't covered in repellant or going at a good speed on a bike most evenings anywhere else.

Screened patio :shrug:

bobcage
Dec 11, 2012, 5:12 AM
Screened patio :shrug:

Moncton hasn't figured out the waterfront yet -- there should be restaurants and patios near the waterfront wharf

bobcage
Dec 11, 2012, 5:24 AM

the Petitcodiac will never be what it used to be....
BUT... so much potential is coming, tidal bore! #1 Salmon run #2 ...vibrant waterfront with restaurants is a real potential. Tourist from outside of the province you all find them at the bore park in the summer.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 11, 2012, 2:17 PM
BUT... so much potential is coming, tidal bore! #1 Salmon run #2 ...vibrant waterfront with restaurants is a real potential. Tourist from outside of the province you all find them at the bore park in the summer.

But it will be more than it's been for the last 40 years.

A lot of people think the mud flats are ugly, I grew up near and spent much time on the Tantramar marshes...I think the mud flats are amazing. They are constantly changing, reshaping, and look different all the time.

I firmly believe (and studies have shown ie: EIA) that the river will repair itself and come almost all the way back (obviously not all the way due to the former land fill and the portion of the causeway that will remain). It's already doing it, and MUCH faster than anyone that observes the river on a regular basis expected.

As we've both said the potential for shops along the river is crazy, even more tidal bore tourists, and river tourism as I pointed out earlier with fundy water tours and such.

I understand the economics of it but one way I've always thought is perhaps someone could start a non-profit charity that both corporate and concerned citizen organizations could donate to to have the river restored. If perhaps this entity raised perhaps even 30% of the overall cost of removing the gates the prov/feds would step up?

JL

RyeJay
Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
Moncton hasn't figured out the waterfront yet -- there should be restaurants and patios near the waterfront wharf

There isn't enough money flowing in the downtown for a viable waterfront yet. If density were to be established in the core, we'd begin seeing waterfront proposals.

The state of the waterfront reflects the state of the downtown: underdeveloped.

RyeJay
Dec 11, 2012, 10:46 PM

I respect your opinion, but there is a lot of established science with regards to ecology restoration in which I prefer to place my faith. This is why I'm confident the removal of the causeway would permit the water flow to re-establish the formation it previously created before we modified it.

But since the causeway will most likely not be removed within any of our lifetimes, we should make the best of what we have. If the Moncton area were to finally put an end to the expansion of its business parks, commercial establishments would begin to settle in the core -- which in turn would attract residential developments, which in turn would attract more commerical...

The Moncton area could actually have quite a wonderful waterfront. The basic framework is already there.

I've said this before: but I would love if Moncton had a volunteer group for which people could register and help landscape the riverfront trails. I would be very interested in participating since I have a major green thumb!

MonctonRad
Dec 15, 2012, 7:46 PM
Given the recent chatter on the thread about the Petitcodiac River, I thought I would add a little colour to the page.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/FDB286A1-099B-4F4B-8919-BC2FA1B65341-99-0000000E80BA83B5.jpg

I took this picture the other day. We see a pretty healthy river compared to what it was before the gates were opened. :)

RyeJay
Dec 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
edit.

P Unit
Dec 16, 2012, 2:40 AM
I moved away from Moncton in 1999. I was back a few months ago and the difference in the river is remarkable.

RyeJay
Dec 16, 2012, 8:40 AM
I moved away from Moncton in 1999. I was back a few months ago and the difference in the river is remarkable.

:) The partial restoration has occurred much more quickly than many were expecting. I re-call walking down the riverfront trail last summer during an ordinary sunny day, constantly hearing -- and seeing in real time -- large chunks of mud being exfoliated from the banks, ceaselessly. This activity was quite impressive to see (and very noisy!).

We tend to underestimate the power of water erosion.

cdnguys
Dec 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have photos they can post of Moncton's historical buildings downtown? I have a particular interest in the brick and stone ones. Thanks.

Hogie75
Dec 16, 2012, 1:04 PM
Does anyone have photos they can post of Moncton's historical buildings downtown? I have a particular interest in the brick and stone ones. Thanks.

Most historic photos can be found at the website http://vintagemoncton.com

cdnguys
Dec 16, 2012, 1:43 PM
Most historic photos can be found at the website http://vintagemoncton.com

Thanks, very interesting site. I'm looking more for current photos of renovated buildings - I remember driving past like a courtyard and it had restaurants. I think it was off Main Street

MonctonRad
Dec 16, 2012, 1:54 PM
Thanks, very interesting site. I'm looking more for current photos of renovated buildings - I remember driving past like a courtyard and it had restaurants. I think it was off Main Street

That would be Robinson Court. Sorry, I don't have any current photographs, but it is a neat alleyway.

MonctonRad
Dec 21, 2012, 2:04 AM
From todays T&T:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10357

Metro housing growth tops in Canada
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Number of households increases by 13 per cent from 2006 to 2011

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has released its 10th annual Review of the State of Housing in Canada, and Metro Moncton has once again distinguished itself nationally.

The Moncton census metropolitan area had the highest rate of household growth of major urban centres from 2006 to 2011, followed by Kelowna, St. John's, Calgary and Edmonton.

The number of households rose from 51,593 in 2006 to 58,294 in 2012, a 13 per cent increase at a time when New Brunswick overall saw only six per cent growth in households.

Moncton and St. John's were the only Atlantic cities to break the top 10. The region's other two metropolitan areas, Saint John and Halifax, ranked 19th and 20th respectively.

The news comes the same week CMHC's fall report shows Metro Moncton is leading the way in New Brunswick for new housing starts as well as in apartment construction.

Upon hearing of this latest distinction Wednesday, Mayor George LeBlanc said 'it fits nicely with Moncton being chosen the best place to buy a home,' referring to a number of publications' and organizations' findings. Most recently, Metro Moncton was featured in the November issue of Canadian Real Estate Wealth magazine, which highlighted Canada's top 100 neighbourhoods, defined as communities most likely to avoid an expected correction in the Canadian real estate market.

The magazine listed Moncton's average house price at $150,640 as a reason the city was included, and cited affordability, a buyer's market with big discounting opportunities and the fact it is one of the top five growth centres in the country.

According to Statistics Canada, Moncton is the fifth-fastest growing of all the metropolitan areas in Canada, at 9.7 per cent between 2006-2011. It is the only metropolitan area east of Saskatchewan in the top 10.

Reasons normally given for explaining the growth are the tri-community's stable and diversified economy, with active industries ranging from traditional transportation, distribution and retailing to educational, health care, financial, infor mation technology and insurance sectors.

This latest CMHC report follows a long line of other distinctions the city has earned in recent years. In 2012, KMPG ranked Moncton as the lowest-cost location for business in Canada.

Canadian Business Magazine has ranked Metro Moncton among Canada's top 10 best places to do business for four consecutive years, while MoneySense this year named it among Canada's top 10 best places to live for the second consecutive year.

It was identified as one of Canada's best cities in which to retire by 50+ Magazine.

Moncton has also been recognized by Readers Digest as the most polite and honest city in Canada, as well as one of the happiest.

Chatelaine recently named Moncton as one of the best places to live and work in Canada.

Nashe
Dec 21, 2012, 2:13 PM
* High fives, all around *

jeddy1989
Dec 21, 2012, 2:19 PM
From todays T&T:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10357

Metro housing growth tops in Canada
Thursday, December 20, 2012
Times & Transcript

Number of households increases by 13 per cent from 2006 to 2011

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation has released its 10th annual Review of the State of Housing in Canada, and Metro Moncton has once again distinguished itself nationally.

The Moncton census metropolitan area had the highest rate of household growth of major urban centres from 2006 to 2011, followed by Kelowna, St. John's, Calgary and Edmonton.

The number of households rose from 51,593 in 2006 to 58,294 in 2012, a 13 per cent increase at a time when New Brunswick overall saw only six per cent growth in households.

Moncton and St. John's were the only Atlantic cities to break the top 10. The region's other two metropolitan areas, Saint John and Halifax, ranked 19th and 20th respectively.

The news comes the same week CMHC's fall report shows Metro Moncton is leading the way in New Brunswick for new housing starts as well as in apartment construction.

Upon hearing of this latest distinction Wednesday, Mayor George LeBlanc said 'it fits nicely with Moncton being chosen the best place to buy a home,' referring to a number of publications' and organizations' findings. Most recently, Metro Moncton was featured in the November issue of Canadian Real Estate Wealth magazine, which highlighted Canada's top 100 neighbourhoods, defined as communities most likely to avoid an expected correction in the Canadian real estate market.

The magazine listed Moncton's average house price at $150,640 as a reason the city was included, and cited affordability, a buyer's market with big discounting opportunities and the fact it is one of the top five growth centres in the country.

According to Statistics Canada, Moncton is the fifth-fastest growing of all the metropolitan areas in Canada, at 9.7 per cent between 2006-2011. It is the only metropolitan area east of Saskatchewan in the top 10.

Reasons normally given for explaining the growth are the tri-community's stable and diversified economy, with active industries ranging from traditional transportation, distribution and retailing to educational, health care, financial, infor mation technology and insurance sectors.

This latest CMHC report follows a long line of other distinctions the city has earned in recent years. In 2012, KMPG ranked Moncton as the lowest-cost location for business in Canada.

Canadian Business Magazine has ranked Metro Moncton among Canada's top 10 best places to do business for four consecutive years, while MoneySense this year named it among Canada's top 10 best places to live for the second consecutive year.

It was identified as one of Canada's best cities in which to retire by 50+ Magazine.

Moncton has also been recognized by Readers Digest as the most polite and honest city in Canada, as well as one of the happiest.

Chatelaine recently named Moncton as one of the best places to live and work in Canada.

ow ow Say whaaa :cool: :cheers:

Good on us, Hi five friends! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

MonctonRad
Dec 24, 2012, 8:12 PM
Merry Christmas to everyone who contributes to the Moncton threads. :)

I imagine things will be pretty quiet around here over the holidays (and probably through the early winter as well). This time of year is usually the doldrums in terms of development news.....

Steelcowboy
Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 AM
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well MonctonRad and everyone else too. I'm currently in Windsor, Ontario and about to get a dumpin' of snow...I see that Moncton area is gonna get hit on Friday, UGH!!! anyhow, take care everyone :) play safe!

SignalHillHiker
Dec 27, 2012, 8:25 PM
ow ow Say whaaa :cool: :cheers:

Good on us, Hi five friends! :cheerleader::cheerleader:

Great news for both cities!

I hope it leads to more density for us both. :D

MonctonRad
Dec 27, 2012, 9:26 PM
As many of you have probably noticed, St. John's now has a subforum in the Atlantic Canada section.

Congratulations to the St. John's SSP members and to their new mod SignalHillHiker. :)

I haven't pushed the website manager Mike K about the idea of doing the same thing for Moncton. When the idea of subforums for Moncton and St. John's was first floated about nine months ago, he suggested that both cities start out by adopting a system of multiple threads to determine the need and sustainability of a subforum.

Since that time, activity on SSP by members from St. John's has increased quite substantially and a surprising number of new members have joined. The multiple thread format has been fairly successful for Moncton as well, but posting activity seems to have remained fairly static for us and there have only been a couple of new members joining the fray.

In short, St. John's has done what it needed to do to prove the need for a separate subforum. Moncton by and large has not. For Moncton to have a subforum, I think we need more activity by more members.

Until this happens, I think we should maintain the multiple threads format. With the St. john's threads now moved to their own subforum, the Atlantic Canada section will be less congested and it will be easier to find our own threads.

That's my own point of view. Of course, others are free to voice their own opinions. Thoughts anyone?

SignalHillHiker
Dec 27, 2012, 9:31 PM
I ain't no mod yet. I just threw my hat in the ring is all. :) Jeddy is also willing and I nominated Architype.

And, I think Moncton and Saint John are clearly going to dominate the main Atlantic Canada section - especially Moncton since it seems to have more active members here. This means improved visibility and accessibility for you all as well - which, I'm hoping - will translate into increased membership and participation.

We all have an opportunity to take advantage of St. John's getting its own section.

jeddy1989
Dec 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
just cuz we have a sub forum doesnt mean u guys cant visit!! don't forget about us either :)

RyeJay
Jan 1, 2013, 4:31 PM
Bonne année, everyone!! Let 2013 bring changes to New Brunswick, for the better. :)

As debt and unemployment rises over the course of this year, a good first step to remedy this would be a frolic process of amalgamation. I suspect the province would financially function better with four municipalities: (1) The North, (2) Fredericton, (3) Saint John, and (4) Codiac City.

The longer we wait to amalgamate, the more money we immediately waste, and the more difficult it'll be to turn the province's economy around in the long-term. Let 2013 be the year we prove that we actually care about the futures of our children more than our petty, regional pride.

Monctoncore
Jan 5, 2013, 4:17 PM
Some good news for the city the unemployment rate dropped 0.6 % to 6.5%. Other than that not much to report here.

josh_cat_eyes
Jan 6, 2013, 6:50 PM
Amalgamation to that extent probably won't happen. But having the city of Moncton include Riverview, Salisbury, hillsbourgh, Dorchester and other associated areas (Dieppe can be monctons version of mount pearl), Fredericton include New Maryland and Oromocto and Saint John include quispamsis and Rothsay would be a start.

MonctonRad
Jan 6, 2013, 8:03 PM
Amalgamation to that extent probably won't happen. But having the city of Moncton include Riverview, Salisbury, hillsbourgh, Dorchester and other associated areas (Dieppe can be monctons version of mount pearl), Fredericton include New Maryland and Oromocto and Saint John include quispamsis and Rothsay would be a start.

Dieppe will NEVER amalgamate with Moncton. It is an ethnolinguistc impossibility! Of this, I am absolutely certain. Hell will freeze over first!!!! :rolleyes:

If amalgamations were ever to occur in the metro Moncton region, they would have to be along acceptable linguistic and geographic lines.

I could foresee:

- Riverview, Salisbury and Moncton Parish amalgamating with Moncton (pop 99,831 given the 2011 census)
- Memramcook and Shediac amalgamating with Dieppe (pop 34,194 based on the 2011 census)
- Dorchester amalgamating with Sackville (pop 6,725)

bobcage
Jan 7, 2013, 1:35 AM
Dieppe will NEVER amalgamate with Moncton. It is an ethnolinguistc impossibility! Of this, I am absolutely certain. Hell will freeze over first!!!! :rolleyes:

If amalgamations were ever to occur in the metro Moncton region, they would have to be along acceptable linguistic and geographic lines.

I could foresee:

- Riverview, Salisbury and Moncton Parish amalgamating with Moncton (pop 99,831 given the 2011 census)
- Memramcook and Shediac amalgamating with Dieppe (pop 34,194 based on the 2011 census)
- Dorchester amalgamating with Sackville (pop 6,725)

Dieppe/Moncton could work -- Moncton/Riverview would work... but Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview ? eventually amalgamations this is what should happened but when is anybody's guess!

it's too small town politics yet to see above the horizon......

example: Ottawa,Nepean,Gloucester,Orleans,Kanata - not too long ago these were all separate cities --- now it's (amalgamated as city of OTTAWA)

Ottawa is very similar demography to Moncton area - about 65%-70% english and 30-40% French.......

Riverview mostly all English (Kanata all english) Dieppe mostly french (Orleans all french) and everything in between is mix.

Less politics and bureaucratic hurdles in Moncton than Ottawa so Moncton should be able to amalgamate.

google Orlean,Ottawa,Kanata -- it's similar to Moncton (Dieppe,Moncton,Riverview) but just on a larger scale.

small town culture is the hurdle in Moncton surroundings

RyeJay
Jan 7, 2013, 2:06 AM
Dieppe/Moncton could work -- Moncton/Riverview would work... but Moncton/Dieppe/Riverview ? eventually amalgamations this is what should happened but when is anybody's guess!

I believe it has to do with provincial politics. Although it is New Brunswick's small town pride that is preventing amalgamations, at some point the provincial debt will overpower that pride. Merging the municipalities should be a common sense first step toward dealing with the province's growing debt -- and to give the municipalities less fragmented strength in directing local investments.

For example...if Moncton were merged with all of its surroundings, a downtown events centre would be more easily financed. This is important for job creation and for planning sustainable development.

This province should only have four municipalities: (1) The North, (2) Fredericton, (3) Saint John, and (4) Moncton/Codiac City.

Nova Scotia has merged all of Cape Breton together in an attempt to slow the job losses.

MonctonRad
Jan 7, 2013, 2:34 AM

example: Ottawa,Nepean,Gloucester,Orleans,Kanata - not too long ago these were all separate cities --- now it's (amalgamated as city of OTTAWA)

Ottawa is very similar demography to Moncton area - about 65%-70% english and 30-40% French.......

Riverview mostly all English (Kanata all english) Dieppe mostly french (Orleans all french) and everything in between is mix.

Less politics and bureaucratic hurdles in Moncton than Ottawa so Moncton should be able to amalgamate.

google Orlean,Ottawa,Kanata -- it's similar to Moncton (Dieppe,Moncton,Riverview) but just on a larger scale.

small town culture is the hurdle in Moncton surroundings

I sympathize, and my own personal preference is complete unification with a single metropolitan government. When I say this will never happen, what I mean is that the Acadian nationalists in the Societe Acadien will never allow it to happen. Dieppe is the poster child of modern Acadie and is the shining star of Acadie. The nationalists in the Acadian community would never let Dieppe become subservient to an anglophone majority.

In some ways there are two solitudes in metro Moncton. The only way amalgamation will occur will be if the end result is an anglophone majority community and a separate francophone majority community. The provincial government knows this and this is why they don't have the visceral fortitude to force the issue......

RyeJay
Jan 7, 2013, 2:56 PM
I sympathize, and my own personal preference is complete unification with a single metropolitan government. When I say this will never happen, what I mean is that the Acadian nationalists in the Societe Acadien will never allow it to happen. Dieppe is the poster child of modern Acadie and is the shining star of Acadie. The nationalists in the Acadian community would never let Dieppe become subservient to an anglophone majority.

In some ways there are two solitudes in metro Moncton. The only way amalgamation will occur will be if the end result is an anglophone majority community and a separate francophone majority community. The provincial government knows this and this is why they don't have the visceral fortitude to force the issue......

On what legal grounds do these Acadian nationalists stand? Municipalities exist at the privilege of the province.

At most, Acadians could be disgruntled and not vote for the political party in power during the next election. (......so what?)

I think we're underestimating the number of Acadians who aren't radicals, and who understand the rationality behind amalgamation. I believe most Acadians are not anti-anglophone; most Acadians are concerned about job creation and the state of the economy, just like everyone else.

A newly merged city would not force French into subservience; the community of Dieppe, even within this new city, can still be French first.

Riverview would become bilingual. And even in the context of Riverview: it'll still remain a distinct community within the new municipality. Lewisville didn't disappear when it joined Moncton. Riverview and Dieppe certainly wouldn't vanish, especially considering the separate signage would be maintained for heritage purposes.

Debt shouts much louder than patriots.

cormiermax
Jan 7, 2013, 4:02 PM
I know my relatives living in Dieppe where very proud when Dieppe became a city. I never asked why, but I assume it was because it would stop amalgamation.

MonctonRad
Jan 7, 2013, 4:07 PM
I know my relatives living in Dieppe where very proud when Dieppe became a city. I never asked why, but I assume it was because it would stop amalgamation.

Indeed, that was pretty much the principle reason why Dieppe petitioned for city status. They are very proud of being the "largest Acadian city in the world". The motto of the city is "l'etoile d'Acadie". The pride of the Acadians in their city is absolute and unquestionable.

There would have to be a civil war before Dieppe would ever amalgamate with Moncton. No provincial government will touch this issue with a 10 foot pole.

Acajack
Jan 7, 2013, 4:13 PM

The dynamics are not totally dissimilar but you have to include Gatineau (a separate city in another province) with Ottawa in order to make "Ottawa" 35-40% francophone.

The City of Ottawa itself as a municipality (now merged to include Orleans, Vanier, etc.) is only maybe 15% francophone - perhaps 17-18% if you really push. This is about half of the francophone proportion of the City of Moncton, or of Greater Moncton (Moncton+Dieppe and the others like Riverview, etc.)

When Ottawa was merged around the year 2000 there were no municipalities that were as francophone as Dieppe is (75%). Vanier was 50-50 and has declined even more since then and the francophone share of Orleans was only around 25-30%. (Plus Orleans was not even its own municipality anyway and was split between Gloucester and Cumberland.

Go back 30 years ago or so and there were quite a few parts of the present-day City of Ottawa (much of the eastern portion in fact) that had substantial francophone majorities.

Acajack
Jan 7, 2013, 4:27 PM
Indeed, that was pretty much the principle reason why Dieppe petitioned for city status. They are very proud of being the "largest Acadian city in the world". The motto of the city is "l'etoile d'Acadie". The pride of the Acadians in their city is absolute and unquestionable.

There would have to be a civil war before Dieppe would ever amalgamate with Moncton. No provincial government will touch this issue with a 10 foot pole.

A lot of Franco-Ontarians in the east end Ottawa suburb of Orleans (at least those who pay attention to these issues) were quite envious of the city status of Dieppe and saw it as an important tool in keeping the French language and culture vibrant there.

Orleans was always and still is a distinct community but never really had municipal status of any kind. For much of its history it was split down the middle between Gloucester and Cumberland, both largely anglophone townships for which Orleans was the "French corner" of each.

Eventually Orleans underwent a few decades of hyper-development without much regard for the historical francophone character of the place. And around 2000 Gloucester and Cumberland were merged into the new megacity of Ottawa.

As I said before, Orleans today is roughly a quarter francophone, although walking around there it seems more like about 15% of the population that uses French in their everyday lives. It's far, far less francophone than Dieppe is. Linguistically, Dieppe feels like Orleans in the 1970s.

SignalHillHiker
Jan 7, 2013, 6:10 PM
That's so sad... And Orleans is such a beautiful, French name for a city - like Dieppe.

Acajack
Jan 7, 2013, 6:30 PM
That's so sad... And Orleans is such a beautiful, French name for a city - like Dieppe.

You should have seen the fight in the 1990s when there was a debate over restoring the accent aigu over the "E" to make the official spelling Orléans.

The accented version finally won out, and this is the official spelling now, used on road signs, public buildings and also most English-language print media. But you seen the unaccented spelling a lot too (businesses, etc.), probably more than the official one.

(Raps his own knuckles) I should probably use the accented version at all times myself (even in English), given that I spent much of my life there.

JHikka
Jan 7, 2013, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the insight Acajack.

I was going to mention something about Dieppe being more similar to Gatineau merging with Ottawa than Orleans, but you beat me to it. :P

Acajack
Jan 7, 2013, 6:39 PM
Thanks for the insight Acajack.

I was going to mention something about Dieppe being more similar to Gatineau merging with Ottawa than Orleans, but you beat me to it. :P

Cheers. :cheers:

If I can link this to the topic, people in Greater Moncton and Dieppe can do whatever they want but if I was asked my advice to the people in Dieppe would probably be to hold on to their distinct municipality. Apologies to the pro-merger crowd.

MonctonRad
Jan 7, 2013, 7:04 PM
people in Greater Moncton and Dieppe can do whatever they want but if I was asked my advice to the people in Dieppe would probably be to hold on to their distinct municipality. Apologies to the pro-merger crowd.

Although my inclination would be for full metropolitan amalgamation (mostly to combat the misapprehension by some people to think of Moncton as a city of 69,000 rather than as a vibrant urban community of 140,000), I really have no strong feelings on the matter and am cool with the current arrangement.

At present the anglophones have a safe haven in Riverview and the francophones have a similar safe haven in Dieppe. Moncton, as the principle community in the region caters to both linguistic groups (but with an anglophone slant given the 2/3 English speaking majority).

As long as Riverview and Dieppe pitch in on regional commissions (transit, policing, water, sewerage etc) and contribute their fair share to projects like the Capitol Theatre and the Events Centre then it really matters little. Moncton is a CMA now, and most corporations looking to invest in the community will check out the CMA stats rather than the stats for an individual municipality.

mylesmalley
Jan 7, 2013, 7:53 PM

I was once talking to a woman at a call centre in the southern US. When I spelled out my office's address she said, "What kind of name is DIE-PEEE"...pronounced in a way only a Sourtherner can. :haha:

Acajack
Jan 7, 2013, 9:07 PM
I was once talking to a woman at a call centre in the southern US. When I spelled out my office's address she said, "What kind of name is DIE-PEEE"...pronounced in a way only a Sourtherner can. :haha:

Some Acadians when speaking quickly and in slangy French will pronounce Dieppe as ''Djepp''.

JHikka
Jan 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
The one placename I always have trouble with is Cocagne. I guess it's pronounced like Co-cahn, with less emphasis on the ending syllable..?

mylesmalley
Jan 7, 2013, 11:08 PM
I've always enjoyed that about New Brunswick. There are towns here that I genuinely thought were two places because of the different ways anglophones and francophones pronounce them.

(Dieppe) DEE-epp vs Djepp
(Shediac) Shed-ee-ac vs Shed-yahck
(St Antoine) Saint Anthony vs Saint Antoine
(Haut Aboujagan) Upper A-boo-jog-en vs Ah-boojagan
(Fredericton) Freddington, Freddicton
(Cocagne) Co-cahn
(Moncton) Monc-tunn

josh_cat_eyes
Jan 10, 2013, 6:14 AM
I've always enjoyed that about New Brunswick. There are towns here that I genuinely thought were two places because of the different ways anglophones and francophones pronounce them.

(Dieppe) DEE-epp vs Djepp
(Shediac) Shed-ee-ac vs Shed-yahck
(St Antoine) Saint Anthony vs Saint Antoine
(Haut Aboujagan) Upper A-boo-jog-en vs Ah-boojagan
(Fredericton) Freddington, Freddicton
(Cocagne) Co-cahn
(Moncton) Monc-tunn

(Cap-Pelé) Cap-Pelay

MonctonRad
Jan 16, 2013, 9:56 AM
Building permits up in Moncton
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Times & Transcript

But value of permits issued in 2012 is down from previous year

The final numbers for 2012 are in, and Moncton had its third-best construction year of the past decade.

'Overall, 2012 was a very good year for us,' says Sherry Sparks, the City of Moncton's director of building inspection. 'While the total number of permits issued was up from 2011, the dollar value decreased. We did not have the number of big projects in 2012 as we did in 2011.' Spending on residential construction jumped nearly $13 million from 2011 to 2012 with 11 more permits issued than in 2011. However, commercial and industrial spending fell by nearly $36 million, even though 25 more permits were issued than the year before.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10471

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 21, 2013, 5:44 PM
Although my inclination would be for full metropolitan amalgamation (mostly to combat the misapprehension by some people to think of Moncton as a city of 69,000 rather than as a vibrant urban community of 140,000), I really have no strong feelings on the matter and am cool with the current arrangement.

At present the anglophones have a safe haven in Riverview and the francophones have a similar safe haven in Dieppe. Moncton, as the principle community in the region caters to both linguistic groups (but with an anglophone slant given the 2/3 English speaking majority).

As long as Riverview and Dieppe pitch in on regional commissions (transit, policing, water, sewerage etc) and contribute their fair share to projects like the Capitol Theatre and the Events Centre then it really matters little. Moncton is a CMA now, and most corporations looking to invest in the community will check out the CMA stats rather than the stats for an individual municipality.

I'm like you in that regard now...when Dieppe became a city we lost that chance for the joining, and the suggestion of "Codiac City" uugh, that's a terrible name.

I still think it's feasible for Riverview to become part of Moncton, as a suburb of Moncton (which really, no offense to anyone in Riverview, but it really is a burb of Moncton already)...an idea I think that should be seriously considered.

JL

RyeJay
Jan 21, 2013, 8:23 PM
I'm like you in that regard now...when Dieppe became a city we lost that chance for the joining, and the suggestion of "Codiac City" uugh, that's a terrible name.

I still think it's feasible for Riverview to become part of Moncton, as a suburb of Moncton (which really, no offense to anyone in Riverview, but it really is a burb of Moncton already)...an idea I think that should be seriously considered.

JL

And why do you think so? :) I appreciate elaborated criticisms.

Would you prefer a newly merged city be named 'Moncton'?

Regardless of anyone's opinions in how they believe amalgamations will never happen: keeping municipalities separate requires money. New Brunswick is on its way to needing a federal bail out, which could result in NB being treated like a territory, to an extent.

Merging communities is one of the first steps that are taken when trying to balance budgets. If the provincial government won't combine the communities, the federal government certainly will.

pierremoncton
Jan 22, 2013, 2:25 AM
Regardless of anyone's opinions in how they believe amalgamations will never happen: keeping municipalities separate requires money. New Brunswick is on its way to needing a federal bail out, which could result in NB being treated like a territory, to an extent.

Merging communities is one of the first steps that are taken when trying to balance budgets. If the provincial government won't combine the communities, the federal government certainly will.

Sorry for being too lazy right now to take screenshots, but I'll leave this here: http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/prov_fiscal.pdf

See pages 9-11. Ontario & Québec will "become territories" before any of the Atlantic provinces do.

pierremoncton
Jan 22, 2013, 1:24 PM
MonctonRad (I believe) had previously posted on this subject:

Dam and bridge to be removed
Source: http://www.news919.com/2013/01/22/dam-and-bridge-to-be-removed/

MONCTON, NB – The City of Moncton will be removing the Humphrey Brook Dam and the adjacent old Mill Road Bridge later this year.

City engineer Jack MacDonald says the action must be taken under federal legislation to compensate for building a second dam at Turtle Creek.

[...]

The removal project is expected to begin in June and should be completed by September.

Too bad they can't just set money aside for the eventual removal of the causeway instead. I'm also slightly surprised that the bridge isn't being protected for heritage reasons.

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 22, 2013, 6:34 PM
And why do you think so? :) I appreciate elaborated criticisms.

Would you prefer a newly merged city be named 'Moncton'?

Sorry RyeJay...yes I actually would prefer an amagamted city to just be called 'Moncton'. Not everything in this area has to have "Codiac" in the moniker (Codiac RCMP, Codiac Transpo...uugh).

For example...Halifax and Dartmouth didn't change their names just became HRM, but are still Halifax and Dartmouth. Moncton is the predominant community of the three, has the largest population base, IMHO it should be name Moncton if amalgamated, with Riverview and Dieppe areas maintaining their identities as suburbs of Moncton as a whole.

I'm all for the amalgamation...just as Moncton. :)

ithree
Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 PM
Sorry RyeJay...yes I actually would prefer an amagamted city to just be called 'Moncton'. Not everything in this area has to have "Codiac" in the moniker (Codiac RCMP, Codiac Transpo...uugh).

For example...Halifax and Dartmouth didn't change their names just became HRM, but are still Halifax and Dartmouth. Moncton is the predominant community of the three, has the largest population base, IMHO it should be name Moncton if amalgamated, with Riverview and Dieppe areas maintaining their identities as suburbs of Moncton as a whole.

Furthermore, the name Moncton is now somewhat recognized nationally. Besides, I have to agree that Codiac isn't very appealing.

Monctoncore
Jan 23, 2013, 5:08 AM
Seen this is the PEI thread, its from Walmart Canada :

Walmart Canada has confirmed that it plans on completing at least 37 supercentre projects in the company's next fiscal year, which goes from February 1, 2013 to January 31, 2014. Walmart supercentres feature both general retail product, as well as a sizeable grocery section.

Additionally, the retailer is expanding it distribution network in order to support its store growth and expansion plans.

Walmart Canada hasn't confirmed the specific locations of the new stores, but did say that it'll be opening its first supercentres in the Maritimes.

The company notes that these projects will inject $450 million into the Canadian economy, and generate more than 7,000 store, trade, and construction jobs.

By the end of Walmart's next fiscal year, it will have 388 stores in Canada.

MonctonRad
Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 AM

I wonder what this means for the rumoured WalMart dostribution centre in the Scoudouc Industrial Park........ :rolleyes:

Monctoncore
Jan 23, 2013, 11:55 AM
Yes and in shediac wants to expand it's town limits and it mentions something about the town and scoudouc... Maybe something's a brewing. Sounds like something for the times and transcript to maybe search...

RyeJay
Jan 23, 2013, 2:24 PM
Sorry for being too lazy right now to take screenshots, but I'll leave this here: http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/prov_fiscal.pdf

See pages 9-11. Ontario & Québec will "become territories" before any of the Atlantic provinces do.

:) Thank you for the link. This is useful information that is worth tracking, to see how evident these projections are.

I wonder if Ontario and Quebec's unemployment rate will remain below 10%? I don't believe this will be the case for New Brunswick.

RyeJay
Jan 23, 2013, 2:29 PM

Not everything in this area will be named 'Codiac', as Moncton, Dieppe, and Riverview would maintain their names. Their separate signs would remain intact. They will remain distinct communities, just within a new municipality.

I would not mind this new municipality being called 'Moncton', either; however, I suspect Dieppe woud mind. Extremely so.

Using a term (Codiac) that is already common throughout all three communities would seem to me as the most acceptable name. An amalgamation is going to piss off enough people, as it is.

Perhaps within our lifetimes, we'll get to find out... :)

RyeJay
Jan 23, 2013, 2:42 PM
Furthermore, the name Moncton is now somewhat recognized nationally. Besides, I have to agree that Codiac isn't very appealing.

I suppose Moncton is somewhat recognised. To be honest, when I tell Canadians where I'm from (Moncton), most haven't a clue in which province it exists.

Recently, I've been saying "I'm from Moncton, New Brunswick," but even then, I usually get a blank reaction; and a question I sometimes get asked is: "Is...that close to Fredericton?".

(Thank you Canadian social studies in public schools, for teaching capital cities.)

Imposing 'Moncton' as the name for this new city would be building upon a brand that's already established; it's true. My main concern is with Dieppe not desiring to be called 'Moncton'.

Would Moncton mind being called 'Dieppe'? ;)

David_99
Jan 23, 2013, 4:34 PM
I suppose Moncton is somewhat recognised. To be honest, when I tell Canadians where I'm from (Moncton), most haven't a clue in which province it exists.

Recently, I've been saying "I'm from Moncton, New Brunswick," but even then, I usually get a blank reaction

Same here. Sometimes even "New Brunswick" gets a blank stare. I started saying "The East Coast". To which they'd replied "Ah, right. Ontario." :rolleyes:

My main concern is with Dieppe not desiring to be called 'Moncton'.
Would Moncton mind being called 'Dieppe'? ;)

Dieppe is already called Greater Moncton and Metro Moncton. Their area could be still called Dieppe while part Moncton. ;)

RyeJay
Jan 23, 2013, 7:43 PM
Dieppe is already called Greater Moncton and Metro Moncton. Their area could be still called Dieppe while part Moncton. ;)

The Greater Moncton area is not an official name for Dieppe. We may use the term as a regional designation, especially when considering economic trends (because all three communities actually do function as one in more ways than not), but we all are well aware that Dieppe is a separate city.

My question remains: Would Moncton mind being called Dieppe?
I believe Moncton would mind.

JHikka
Jan 23, 2013, 7:59 PM
When Miramichi amalgamated to become Miramichi i'm fairly certain locals still refer to the different areas as Newcastle/Chatham/Douglastown/etc. I'm sure the same would occur under a greater Moncton.

C_Boy
Jan 24, 2013, 1:55 PM
From the mayor's Twitter.. @GeorgeLeBlanc: Today is going to be a great day, a wonderful day, a memorable day. Details later.

MonctonRad
Jan 24, 2013, 2:08 PM

Oooh, I'm so excited....

I wonder what this is all about?

:banana::banana::banana:

theshark
Jan 24, 2013, 2:14 PM
When Miramichi amalgamated to become Miramichi i'm fairly certain locals still refer to the different areas as Newcastle/Chatham/Douglastown/etc. I'm sure the same would occur under a greater Moncton.

We still refer as old names since the fusion of 1998 in Edmundston, people still say they live in saint-jacques, saint-basile...

OliverD
Jan 24, 2013, 2:25 PM
We still refer as old names since the fusion of 1998 in Edmundston, people still say they live in saint-jacques, saint-basile...

At this point those are just neighborhood though. I say I live in Devon which amalgamated with Fredericton in 1945.

RyeJay
Jan 24, 2013, 3:53 PM
From the mayor's Twitter.. @GeorgeLeBlanc: Today is going to be a great day, a wonderful day, a memorable day. Details later.

Harrison Trimble will be relocated to Saint John. :P

In all seriousness though, if this news continues with Monctonian tradition, at most it will be an announcement about a concert.

emad
Jan 24, 2013, 5:13 PM

George LeBlanc ‏@GeorgeLeBlanc
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Today will be a wonderful day for me and my family. More to follow.

;)

MonctonRad
Jan 24, 2013, 5:27 PM
Perhaps I should have been more specific. Today will be a wonderful day for me and my family. More to follow.

;)

Oh, and here I thought it might have had something to do with the events centre...

Oh well

theshark
Jan 24, 2013, 5:35 PM
aww crap, thats an anticipation killer (Sound of a bubble bursting)

CdnEh
Jan 24, 2013, 5:39 PM
My question remains: Would Moncton mind being called Dieppe?
I believe Moncton would mind.

Moncton would mind because nobody knows Moncton as or calls it part of the Dieppe area. Dieppe is part of the Moncton area.

JHikka
Jan 24, 2013, 8:16 PM

;)

Welp, that's a letdown.

Nashe
Jan 25, 2013, 2:23 PM
I'm gonna guess a family addition.

MonctonRad
Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
Some colour for the page:

A few pictures taken from the 6th floor of the Moncton Hospital earlier today......

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/543C1D52-F6A1-41AC-BBD4-BD756B867596-59-00000000893A7E65.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/A8A08525-7403-4113-8E61-E41B5192080B-59-000000008D4123AB.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/95724633-2BD4-45F1-95B3-CF734CB269B7-59-0000000091DF6752.jpg

Philbilly
Jan 26, 2013, 3:47 AM
If you click this link and then zoom in on moncton you can see every person that lived in the city as a black dot:http://bmander.com/dotmap/index.html

mylesmalley
Jan 26, 2013, 4:07 AM
I've spent a lot of time looking at that map. It's a very interesting projection. The dots don't actually represent specific people, but rather an average distribution of people within a census tract, which is usually a couple blocks in urban areas. You can plainly see things like Centennial Park, but also major business areas like the industrial parks, which are completely void of people.

It's also really interesting to see the concentrations. Outside of downtown, it looks like the densest neighbourhood in the city is in the East End between McLaughlan, Elmwood and Grant. It's surprising too that most of suburban Moncton is actually denser than all but the densest parts of downtown Dieppe, but that's something I expect will quickly change by the next census. I'm guessing there will be at least 500 more people living between Champlain and Gauvin within the last two years alone.

Philbilly
Jan 26, 2013, 2:13 PM
I've spent a lot of time looking at that map. It's a very interesting projection. The dots don't actually represent specific people, but rather an average distribution of people within a census tract, which is usually a couple blocks in urban areas. You can plainly see things like Centennial Park, but also major business areas like the industrial parks, which are completely void of people.

It's also really interesting to see the concentrations. Outside of downtown, it looks like the densest neighbourhood in the city is in the East End between McLaughlan, Elmwood and Grant. It's surprising too that most of suburban Moncton is actually denser than all but the densest parts of downtown Dieppe, but that's something I expect will quickly change by the next census. I'm guessing there will be at least 500 more people living between Champlain and Gauvin within the last two years alone.
I hope the downtown get fill pretty soon ,i am guessing the more population you have in the core better the chance to get the event center we all want

Philbilly
Jan 26, 2013, 2:16 PM

With the new e i change we may get 500 more lol

Monctoncore
Jan 26, 2013, 6:07 PM
So Walmart canada plans to announce the distribution centre ad the first maritime stores before the end of this month according to there news page.

MonctonRad
Jan 26, 2013, 6:13 PM
So Walmart canada plans to announce the distribution centre ad the first maritime stores before the end of this month according to there news page.

We'll hope it's good news for the Scoudouc Industrial Park.... :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 28, 2013, 1:52 PM

I know that Trinity will become one, I've spoken to several employees that have stated this. They will expand in the direction of Wheeler Blvd. apparently and have a full grocery store. I know it's better to wait for 'official' announcements though.

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2013, 2:54 PM
There was an item on CBC radio this morning (that I only partially heard as I was getting ready for work).

Anyway, apparently enrollment is up more than expected in the Anglophone East school district (which is essentially metro Moncton and southeastern NB) and school crowding is resulting in the prospect of students getting shuffled around between schools next year as boundaries will have to be redrawn. The interviewee stated that they will soon have to request a new anglophone school in greater Moncton......

mylesmalley
Jan 28, 2013, 3:15 PM
Much cheaper to bus kids into schools with lower enrolment than to build a new school every time one gets overcrowded.

Are Bessborough, Hillcrest, Sunny Brae, Edith Cavelle, Birchmount, Queen E, and Beaverbrook and the other 'inner city' schools all packed too?

josh_cat_eyes
Jan 28, 2013, 4:35 PM
If Walmart expands towards wheeler, that means no more McDonald's drive-thru which could mean a new McDonald's in the trinity area??

pierremoncton
Jan 28, 2013, 5:02 PM
There's a new push to get Ottawa to cough up the cash to replace the causeway with a bridge.

RIVERVIEW, N.B. – Former Petitcodiac Riverkeeper Daniel LeBlanc will go before Riverview town council tonight to present his so-called “Renaissance Plan” for the river.

LeBlanc says the ten point strategy is already halfway to completion, but won’t be finished until federal funding comes through for the replacement of a portion of the causeway with a bridge.

He says its been frustrating to see no commitment has been made for the remaining money, but he’s hoping that getting the three local municipalities to support the project will help put more pressure on Ottawa.

“The last chunk is certainly a good economic boost to this region. The money from the federal government is a lot of money, $40 million, and when it comes to the region there will be a lot of spin-offs from it and certainly long-term opportunities.”

A river restoration resolution is on Dieppe’s agenda tonight and is expected to pass.

A similar resolution will come before Moncton City Council next week.

Source: http://www.news919.com/2013/01/28/former-petitcodiac-riverkeeper-presents-to-riverview-council/

And there's a French interview on RC (http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/atlantique/2013/01/25/010-sentinelles-petitcodiac-nouveau-brunswick.shtml) where LeBlanc states that our MP, Robert Goguen, had previously said he would "work" on this issue if there was unanimous support amongst the municipalities. "Work" in quotes because I have no reason to believe that he has any leverage in Ottawa.

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2013, 5:03 PM
Much cheaper to bus kids into schools with lower enrolment than to build a new school every time one gets overcrowded.

Are Bessborough, Hillcrest, Sunny Brae, Edith Cavelle, Birchmount, Queen E, and Beaverbrook and the other 'inner city' schools all packed too?

I appreciate what you're saying Myles, and as a stopgap measure this makes sense. Most people however want to have neighbourhood schools, especially in the k-8 age group and there are benefits to this (encourages walking, less bussing, more community support for the schools etc). If enrollment continues to increase in the future, another school may be necessary.

I am not sure where the problem exists in the metro area. Like I said, I missed a good part of the interview. Northrup Frye School has just opened in the NW end of the city to take the pressure off Evergreen Park School. The new Gunningsville School will open in Riverview in time for this fall. I guess this leaves Moncton East/Dieppe. I remember that there was some kerfuffle the other year about school boundaries over there. Maybe it's time for another anglophone school in Dieppe.....

JHikka
Jan 28, 2013, 5:30 PM
I am not sure where the problem exists in the metro area. Like I said, I missed a good part of the interview. Northrup Frye School has just opened in the NW end of the city to take the pressure off Evergreen Park School. The new Gunningsville School will open in Riverview in time for this fall. I guess this leaves Moncton East/Dieppe. I remember that there was some kerfuffle the other year about school boundaries over there. Maybe it's time for another anglophone school in Dieppe.....

"Enrollment is up in the Anglophone East school district.

Superintendent Gregg Ingersoll says the Department of Education projected that the number of students would dip for the 2012-2013 school year, but the figures showed just the opposite.

“This year, we were projecting that numbers would go down by around 142 students, as we have been doing the last couple of years, but in fact, we have actually increased by 36 students.”

He says they found the majority of growth in certain regions.

“We’re seeing most of the growth in the North end of Moncton, the Dieppe-Lewsville area, and in Riverview. This year, by grade level, Kindergarten is up from last year. We have 138 more students in Kindergarten than we had last year.”

Ingersoll says this is a good trend for our region, because other school districts are seeing a fairly significant decline each year, so it’s definitely good news for our area."

http://www.news919.com/2013/01/28/anglophone-east-enrolment-up-for-2012-2013-school-year/

So, North Moncton, Lewisville/Dieppe, and Riverview.

As an aside from this, Dieppe-Memramcook has one of the few growing and (possibly) largest minor hockey program in the province. They have more players in their Atom age group (9-10) than most associations have in total.

mylesmalley
Jan 28, 2013, 6:44 PM
It's not that I'm against building new schools. If the demand really is there, then that's great. The problem we see though is that a new school goes up and hundreds of families flock to it so their kids can go there...but they all tend to be the same demographic. Unless these families move along with their kids to high school neighborhoods, you end up with neighborhoods with no kids in them anymore with (relatively) new schools in the middle. Ten years from now, Evergreen will be in the same situation as Edith Cavelle. We're doing the same thing with Moncton High, Northrup Frye, the new school on Ryan and Gunningsville.

In a perfect world, people should move in to older neighbourhoods and replace these families. But this policy we have of building new education infrastructure at the fringes of the community only encourage this type of behaviour. The only reason why we aren't seeing this all over the place is because Moncton is the only municipality in the province experiencing this rate of growth.

Some places use their schools in shifts! Have half of the kids in class from 7 to noon, then another half from noon to 5.

MonctonRad
Jan 28, 2013, 8:08 PM
According to Greg's link (News 91.9), the kindergarten numbers are up by 138 children over last year on the anglophone side....

I think that's pretty significant!

David_99
Jan 29, 2013, 10:41 PM
Moncton councillor seeks federal funds for Petitcodiac bridge

The final phase of the Petitcodiac River restoration project could soon be back before Moncton city council.Coun. Pierre Boudreau says he plans to make a motion at the Feb. 4 meeting to ask the federal government for funding to help replace the causeway with a bridge.

"The federal government has, in my opinion, not only a moral obligation to come forth with funding on this phase three and final phase of the restoration project, but they have a legal obligation to do so as well,” Boudreau said.

The provincial government announced plans for a 280-metre, four-lane bridge in 2007, but said it would need federal funding to proceed.The estimated cost, at that time, was about $68 million. Provincial officials were banking on the federal government picking up 75 per cent of that bill.

Boudreau’s comments come on the heels of a presentation Monday night by the former head of the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper organization.Daniel Leblanc is visiting councils in the greater Moncton area, going over the organization’s renaissance plan. Leblanc says he’s pleased with the preparation work and river monitoring that’s been done to date.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/01/29/nb-petitcodiac-river-bridge-causeway.html)

At least it's nice to see this becoming the topic of conversation again.

MonctonRad
Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM

If they are waiting for the feds to kick in their share of the cost to remove the causeway (which they should because it was largely a federal move to have the causeway built in the first place), I think they will have to wait until there is a new federal administration in place. Stephen Harper has been singularly unimpressed of the importance of this project. :(

JasonL-Moncton
Jan 30, 2013, 2:24 PM

If they are waiting for the feds to kick in their share of the cost to remove the causeway (which they should because it was largely a federal move to have the causeway built in the first place), I think they will have to wait until there is a new federal administration in place. Stephen Harper has been singularly unimpressed of the importance of this project. :(

That and with their utter disregard for nature with the changes to the Navigable Waters acts and unprotecting watersheds nation wide...I'm not holding my breath.

This does need to get accomplished though...the river has made amazing strides in the last couple of years and will leap further forward with the removal of the Causeway and Gates.