PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Sep 18, 2009, 3:29 AM
Dieppe aquatic centre ready to open
Published Thursday September 17th, 2009

New facility holds open house, free swims this weekend
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Dieppe's $16-million Aquatic and Sports Centre -- a project that fuelled bitter debate over transparency at city hall and became a key issue in last year's municipal election -- is finally complete and ready to open its doors to the public.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=365751&size=500x0

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=365760&size=500x0

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=365762&size=500x0
The new Dieppe Aquatic and Sports Centre opens this weekend. The building is a very modern sculptural building.

An open house is scheduled for tomorrow at 8 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Free public swims will take place on Saturday and Sunday from Noon to 1:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. The centre will open for regular business on Monday at 6:30 a.m. It will have a full slate of recreational swims for people of all ages and abilities, learn-to-swim courses, and classes for pregnant women and mothers with their infants.

The cost of the project was financed by the city with the intention of offering a top-notch facility for the growing population. That generated its share of controversy and political intrigue as critics questioned the tendering of contracts and whether the money would have been better spent on other more pressing matters or paying down the city's mounting debt. It became an issue in the 2008 election, which resulted in former mayor Achille Maillet being defeated by Jean LeBlanc, who promised to bring more transparency and better management of the city's growth. The city has since begun a new campaign to pay down its $80-million debt.

LeBlanc said yesterday he wants to put the controversy in the past and the main thing now is to make sure the facility is appreciated and used by the people of Dieppe and the surrounding areas.

"We have a very modern facility here and it is a community facility. People have been asking us about being able to hold sporting events here and we can add facilities for competitions later," manager Luc Bujold said yesterday as he led local media on a tour through the centre.

The aquatic centre can be found at 111 Aquatique Street (take Champlain Street and turn right on Dieppe Boulevard; it's right behind the new Co-op store) in a rapidly-growing area of the city.

Designed by Architecture 2000, the building is home to three separate swimming pools that all use salt water that is constantly filtered and kept at a comfortable 84F (29C). Bujold says the water is not as abrasive as conventionally chlorinated water usually found in public pools and, therefore, more comfortable and refreshing to swim in.

The first recreational pool should be a fun place for kids and families. It is shaped like a leaf and features a floor that slopes from 0 to 1.4 metres, which means people can wade in slowly just like walking into the water on a beach. The rec pool also has a big pirate ship complete with cannons that shoot water, an enclosed water slide and a water-spouting mushroom. Parents who want to sit and watch their kids at play can relax on a submerged bench with massaging water jets.

The second pool is a two-lane recreational pool that can be used for swimming laps and aquafitness sessions. The third pool is 25-metres long with six lanes for swimming laps and recreational swims. All three pools are relatively shallow and there are no diving boards or platforms. The big pool does have a Tarzan swing. Bujold said the capacity of the three pools combined is 377 people.

The centre has three large rooms for changing and showering. The women's change room is the largest and painted in a bright pink. It is equipped with many shower stalls and private change areas. Bujold said it was made larger because more women are expected and they often bring children with them.

The second room is the family change room. It is painted a bright orange and also equipped with shower stalls, lockers and private change areas. The family room is also equipped with a baby-changing bench and a special bench to make it easier for people in wheelchairs to change into their swimsuit.

The men's change room is painted bright green and also equipped with showers, lockers and private change areas. Bujold said planners tried to think of everything when designing the rooms to make them as user-friendly as possible. They toured other facilities in Quebec, Ontario and the Maritimes to look for ideas.

The centre has a lunch room and barbeque-equipped outdoor patio that will be available for birthday parties, family gatherings and office parties.

The nerve centre of the facility is the mechanical room in the basement, a maze of pumps, heaters, water tanks and filters along with a computerized system that continually monitors and adjusts the Ph levels.

The aquatic centre has a full-time staff of five people and about 35 part-timers. Bujold expects that number to rise before Christmas.

The centre's program list includes everything from public swims to courses for children and adults. There are courses in aquafitness, aquajogging, prenatal fitness for pregnant women and the aqua push-push for moms with newborns. There are also seniors' programs and lifesaving/lifeguard courses.

Bujold said the membership rates are comparable to those found at other similar facilities. Annual memberships for Dieppe residents (a 10 per cent charge for those from outside Dieppe is applicable) are $375 for adults, $250 for seniors and students, $150 for children, $550 for a couple and $775 for a family. A day pass is $6 for adults, $5 for students and seniors, $3 for children or $14 for a family of four. A child's party, which includes use of the party room, is $5 per child.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 18, 2009, 12:40 PM
The YMCA/CEPS should start charging 10% extra for people from Dieppe...that's crap...if the "Y" had done that when it opened the majority of the residents of Dieppe would have lost their minds!

mylesmalley
Sep 18, 2009, 2:20 PM
That's outrageous. And how exactly do they plan on enforcing that? There's no way I'm going to bring the lease agreement for my apartment, or the deed to a house to prove I'm a Dieppe resident, and I sincerely doubt they're going to call Elections Canada/Revenue Canada/Statistics Canada to corroborate my story.

BlackYear
Sep 18, 2009, 3:04 PM
10% surcharge for outside residents? That bull shit and nothing but ignorant and discriminatory. I have a good mind to buy a membership just so that I can piss in their pool. Take your $16 million project and shove it up your ass.

I also calculated it takes 2100 adults @ $375 each year for 20 years to equal $16 million. Not including all of the expenses this building requires for operational cost. Good luck with that Dieppe residents. :koko:

kirjtc2
Sep 18, 2009, 3:21 PM
You should be lucky...there are some "public" facilities in the US (usually the hoity-toity places) where you're not even allowed in the door if you don't live within city limits.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 18, 2009, 5:05 PM
You should be lucky...there are some "public" facilities in the US (usually the hoity-toity places) where you're not even allowed in the door if you don't live within city limits.

The point is if the "Y" (in Moncton) or "CEPS" in (Moncton at UofM) had charged a 10% surcharge to non-Moncton residents, the council and residents of Dieppe would have lost their minds! But Dieppe can do it and no one says a word? Ridiculous! Not surprising, but ridiculous!\

How they will enforce it is by asking you for your 'identification', for example, your drivers license...that shows where you live. If you are a child you must be registered by a parent, again, drivers license.

JL

Nashe
Sep 18, 2009, 6:46 PM
There has been a "barn raising" going on at the site of the new Jehovah's Witnesses Church on War Veterans Avenue across the street from the YMCA. The place is swarming with literally hundreds of (presumably volunteer) workers. Two days ago there was no building on site. At present they are putting on the shingles and bricking up the facade..........pretty impressive!Yup, all voluntary.

mylesmalley
Sep 18, 2009, 6:59 PM
Anyone grab a pic?

BlackYear
Sep 18, 2009, 7:21 PM
The Google Street View car is mapping the streets of Moncton today. He was in my neighborhood this afternoon so I followed him for a couple of blocks. Can't wait to see Moncton in street view.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/google_car.jpg

MonctonRad
Sep 18, 2009, 7:59 PM
:previous:

Did you smile and wave? :D :haha: :D

mmmatt
Sep 18, 2009, 8:38 PM
The new aquatic center is an awesome addition to the area, but this surcharge is pure BS to the max...someone will have to put a stop to that. Otherwise what will happen? Start charging Dieppe residents 10% more for parking downtown, events at the Coliseum, 4plex usage etc etc...what a way to start infighting geez...just because there is a little invisible line somewhere between Chateau Moncton and Champlain place does not mean I'm gonna pay more to swim in a pool.

theshark
Sep 18, 2009, 9:41 PM
The Google Street View car is mapping the streets of Moncton today. He was in my neighborhood this afternoon so I followed him for a couple of blocks. Can't wait to see Moncton in street view.

Now we all going to see what you drive!
Saw that google car in Bathurst about a week ago.

Jerry556
Sep 19, 2009, 3:29 AM
i haft to say am not a big fan of dieppe(in fact i kind of dislike it and am a francophone), but dieppe is getting way too full of themself, there only a city of 20,000(not even yet) and they haft to have everything better then everybody else(fancy pools imported from italy). they better get there heads out of the clouds. and ya thats retarded, a 10% surcharge. another example is there city hall, its almost twice the size of the moncton one, and there a city less then 1/3 of moncton, anyhow just wanted to say that, (not trying to start shit)

MonctonRad
Sep 19, 2009, 3:04 PM

So, it was in the T&T today about the Google Street View car.............we scooped them!!

I wonder if the T&T has someone mining information from our thread...........you never know.

MonctonRad
Sep 19, 2009, 3:11 PM
from "the Sleuth":

Rumour: is it true that retail giant Wal-Mart is eyeing Riverview as a location for a third location in Metro Moncton? Sleuth doesn't know, but that's the rumour being heard by other retailers across the river.

Personal note - Three Wal-Marts in greater Moncton seems like a lot but you never know.......

I am of mixed emotions on this one. Wal-Mart is the great slayer of uniqueness and individuality on the retail front but Riverview is virgin territory without too much already there that could be hurt by Wal-Marts presence. In addition, if it were to locate in Findlay Park, this would truly signal the beginnings of a new viable power centre on the south side of the Petitcodiac. Sobey's is already building there and Canadian Tire is rumoured. This might be a good thing.

mylesmalley
Sep 19, 2009, 4:19 PM
Bleh. Wal Mart = more endless sprawl.

BlackYear
Sep 19, 2009, 6:15 PM
A lady friend and I visited both the Moncton Farmer's Market and the Dieppe's Farmer's Market this morning and she commented that Riverview should also have their own little market. I say why not! Riverview could start with something small with room for expansion. Do it right and I'm sure regular market shoppers would cross the river.

I find both the Moncton & Little Quebec (I mean Dieppe) markets are a complete mess. It's no wonder I only go there 2 times a year!

ErickMontreal
Sep 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
I find both the Moncton & Little Quebec (I mean Dieppe) markets are a complete mess. It's no wonder I only go there 2 times a year!

That's a great compliment for Dieppe being labelled little Québec...

Anyway... I will stop there for now !

Jerry556
Sep 21, 2009, 12:02 AM
it might be a bit brutal to say, but the empire theatre at crystal palace is a dump compared to trinity drive location. it would be nice to see one either move or get built downtown, would draw people there and help out business downtown.

Dmajackson
Sep 21, 2009, 12:38 AM

So, it was in the T&T today about the Google Street View car.............we scooped them!!

I wonder if the T&T has someone mining information from our thread...........you never know.

Don't be surprised if they do, the Halifax section seems to have that happen from time to time. :P

MonctonRad
Sep 21, 2009, 12:38 AM

I agree.......the auditoriums are way too small and are looking long in the tooth.

Crystal Palace is currently an Empire 8. I would like to see them refurbish it as an Empire 4 or Empire 6, with an additional IMAX auditorium, all with stadium seating. To my mind, the best place for an IMAX in Moncton is Crystal Palace, especially given the theme park nature of the complex.

To replace the lost screening capacity if Crystal Palace were reduced to 4-6 screens, I propose an Empire 4 for Riverview up in Findlay Park. There used to be a twin cinema in the old Riverview Mall. It's time for cinemas to return to the town!!

In summary, I propose:

Empire 8 at Wheeler Park
Empire 6+1 (IMAX) at Crystal Palace
Empire 4 at Findlay Park

:) :tup: :)

mmmatt
Sep 21, 2009, 3:13 AM

I agree.......the auditoriums are way too small and are looking long in the tooth.

Crystal Palace is currently an Empire 8. I would like to see them refurbish it as an Empire 4 or Empire 6, with an additional IMAX auditorium, all with stadium seating. To my mind, the best place for an IMAX in Moncton is Crystal Palace, especially given the theme park nature of the complex.

To replace the lost screening capacity if Crystal Palace were reduced to 4-6 screens, I propose an Empire 4 for Riverview up in Findlay Park. There used to be a twin cinema in the old Riverview Mall. It's time for cinemas to return to the town!!

In summary, I propose:

Empire 8 at Wheeler Park
Empire 6+1 (IMAX) at Crystal Palace
Empire 4 at Findlay Park

:) :tup: :)

Great idea, but I would propose that the new theater be downtown as part of the new arena/entertainment complex

mylesmalley
Sep 21, 2009, 3:18 AM
I'd certainly like to see Crystal Palace get some love from Empire Theatres and get some stadium seating like their facilities at Trinity and here in Fredericton.

That said, I'm not sure about IMAX. While the big screen is certainly worth noting, it seems to me that the concept has really lost its lustre. The technology seems much better suited to theme parks and educational institutions like museums and planetariums than to general commercial movie theatres. From a business side, I can't see them being easy to justify. There's a huge cost to building them, and the films cost more. Granted theatres can charge more, but that's limited to what the market will bear. I for one am cheap enough to go to a standard screen movie rather than an IMAX next door if I can save a few dollars.

As for the dream of some theatres in Riverview... I wouldn't hold my breath, MonctonRad :P. Movie theatres make the vast majority of their profit from concessions. More screens mean more potential snackers going through the doors, with a lower marginal cost per customer. The way the industry seems to be going, I wouldn't expect to see anything smaller than 8 screens built in one place unless the market is just too small to justify something that big.

It'll never happen, but if Riverview were really serious about economic development, they'd create a business park. An actual business park. While Findlay Park is a great idea on paper, land-use restrictions, and the fact that most of the place is owned by a few uninterested developers has meant that the place was pretty much doomed from the start. Sure, they'll probably see some suburban retail develop there, but we're not going to see a real retail destination form at the top of the hill.

Creating an actual industrial park with cheap land and less stringent use restrictions would go a long way to creating a mass of businesses from which to grow off of. The Dieppe Industrial Park is full, the Moncton and Victory Industrial Parks are both full, and Caledonia is expensive and filling up quickly. Setting aside a few hundred acres either south or in the Gunningsville area would be a pretty sound investment for the community.

More importantly, Riverview is going to have to get over the bedroom community image and mindset that it's been cultivating for decades if it has any hope of sharing in the explosive growth the rest of the city has seen. Council has scared away perfectly viable businesses (Chocolate River Music Conservatory, that gas bar that's been denied a dozen times etc) just because they didn't 'fit'.

They also need to fire their planners. How the hell could they build Gunningsville Blvd - a road who's stated purpose was to open up vast swaths of virgin land to development - and not put in the utilities!

Anyway, rant over.

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 21, 2009, 3:30 AM
I'd like to see an Empire 5-6 (the one here is Summerside is a 5) built in Riverview and one of a similar size built at Crystal Palace with an Imax Theatre. It would be the second one in Atlantic Canada so I think it would be worth building. I also heard something about a Walmart coming to Riverview around the beginning of the construction of the new bridge. I think that if Sussex can have a Walmart, Riverview can have a Walmart. If Sobeys, Canadian Tire, and Walmart all build in Findlay, that would be a HUGE break for the town!

Also about monctonrad's comments a few pages back:
I'll let Myles comment on your proposed reallignment as he is our resident traffic engineer. :haha:

Regarding the Mapleton rumour..........the major electronics retailer could be Best Buy since they were supposed to be moving in there anyway. Lowe's might be possible but the schematics I have seen of the development did not have room for anything near as big as this retailer would be. Also, it would be competing directly with Kent and Home Depot right next door. As far as Sam's Club is concerned, I thought that they had abandoned the Canadian market. As for the restaurants, the existing site schematic included room for several to be built. One of these was supposed to be a Swiss Chalet.

How reliable was your source?

My grandmother. But everyone knows that grandmothers know everything right. It was also confirmed by my uncle who has that proposed development on Lutes Mountain with the Jelly's.

mylesmalley
Sep 21, 2009, 4:14 AM

anything happening with his development, Josh?

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 21, 2009, 7:55 PM
Anyone know what page that picture of that huge stone building that was where the new Sobey's building is now (by Highfield), that was torn down in the 70's, is on?

I was commenting on it to my wife the other day and wanted to show her, but can't find it?

Jason

riverviewer
Sep 21, 2009, 10:41 PM
Anyone know what page that picture of that huge stone building that was where the new Sobey's building is now (by Highfield), that was torn down in the 70's, is on?

I was commenting on it to my wife the other day and wanted to show her, but can't find it?

Jason

see page 158.

MonctonRad
Sep 22, 2009, 3:26 AM
Transit tender to be awarded
Published Monday September 21st, 2009

As City of Moncton budget season approaches, Mayor George LeBlanc's Taxation Review Committee will release its report when city council meets tonight.

Tonight's meeting should also see a tender award for phase one of construction of a new Codiac Transit facility, which is expected to be 100 per cent funded through a federal program. There will also be a public hearing into the rezoning of a parcel of land on Ryan Road to accommodate a new school.

Personal note........New transit facility!?!, What new transit facility!!!!! Has anyone else heard about this? Does anyone have any idea where this is going to be built?

If it is anything like the new transit garage in Saint John, it will be a very nice building.

gehrhardt
Sep 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
Published Tuesday September 22nd, 2009
Chocolate River Station work continues; official opening likely to be held in spring
A1
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=368320&size=265x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT

Construction of the new Riverview town hall is in the final phase and staff hope to move in by November.

Town officials and staff have been working out of the Bridgedale Community Centre on Vernon Avenue for the last year as crews have been expanding and renovating town hall, located on Honour House Court, overlooking the town above Findlay Boulevard.

Town manager David Muir says working out of the former school hasn't been too bad.

"We had a few days there when the weather was really hot that it was quite uncomfortable, but it's been not too bad, really," Muir says. I think everybody's sort of accepted that we're making the best of a bad situation.

"And from the town's perspective, we own the building, we don't have to pay rent, so it's worked out quite well for us."

Town council has held its meetings in the mezzanine of the Byron Dobson Arena for the last year.

The Riverview Public Library, also located in the Honour House Court location, has been closed for the last year due to the ongoing work.

Work on the town hall and library is expected to be finished late next month and staff should be able to move in soon after.

Library staff might actually be able to move just ahead of town staff as the library will likely be finished before town offices.

Muir says the town still plans to hold its usual Remembrance Day services in Caseley Park behind town hall on Nov. 11 whether staff is moved in or not.

In total, town hall and library space was about 7,000 square feet prior to the renovations. When all is said and done, the facility will boast about 20,000 square feet.

Library staff have been complaining for years about a lack of space. They were limited to about 3,500 square feet of space prior to the expansion and they'll have 7,000-8,000 when it is complete.

Muir says there weren't any serious delays with the $5-million town hall project, which was expected to take up to 12 months.

The town manager and chief administrative officer says officials were hopeful the project would come in well under budget, at around $4 million, leaving money for landscaping and furniture.

That doesn't look to be the case at this point. He says it may still come in a little under budget, but not by the amount they'd hoped.

Either way, the town will purchase the necessary furniture for town hall.

Landscaping, Muir says, will likely be taken care of by the town's parks and recreation crew. He says they have a professionally designed landscape plan, but hiring a private landscaper to actually do the work would be quite costly.

Meanwhile, the town's tourism venture, the Fundy Chocolate River Station, located in the old fire hall on Coverdale Road, is coming together quite nicely.

Passersby in the last few weeks will have noticed a large clock installed in the peak of the building, and the exterior is starting to look like the artist's conception released months ago by the town.

The $3-million project will likely come in a little over budget due to delays and other issues found in the process of updating the aging building, Muir says.

The project experienced delays due to drainage problems, issues with the parking lot and a necessary redesign of the roof of the building, but it should finally be complete sometime in late October or early November.

The Chocolate River Station, which will house a Ganongs specialty chocolate shop, Rocky Mountain Maple and Olivier Soapery, missed this year's tourism season, but Muir says they'll be ready to go for next year's season.

He says tenants can likely start moving into the building in November.

"Some of the tenants might be in there over the winter doing their thing, but the whole facility won't be open until the spring," Muir says. "We're still trying to work on getting some kind of restaurant/food operation upstairs."

He says there has been some interest from a few restaurants regarding the building's second floor. Its prime downtown location could mean big business for someone willing to set up shop, but Muir says, thus far, most interested parties have decided to wait to see how successful the tourist spot is before they consider setting up shop in it.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 22, 2009, 4:41 PM
see page 158.

Thanks! Got it! :) :tup:

mylesmalley
Sep 22, 2009, 5:40 PM
The new town hall in Riverview looks a lot like the old train station in Fredericton.

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 22, 2009, 6:55 PM

anything happening with his development, Josh?

No update. The last thing he told me was that the day before the deal was going to go through, someone opposed it because they said they had rights to the land too or something dumb. So now it's in court. They have the city on their side, which is not a bad thing.

cl812
Sep 23, 2009, 11:18 AM
The new town hall in Riverview looks a lot like the old train station in Fredericton.

I was just thinking the same thing

gehrhardt
Sep 23, 2009, 11:37 AM
Published Wednesday September 23rd, 2009
Moncton Times & Transcript
A3

The City of Moncton's Codiac Transit is getting a new transit facility. Moncton City Council awarded a roughly $2.5 million tender for the first phase of the facility to RCS Retail Construction this week, part of a project ultimately expected to cost $12.5 million.

The bulk of that money, $12 million, will come from the federal and provincial government under the Canada-New Brunswick Agreement on Public Transit, an announcement also made this week by provincial Transportation Minister Denis Landry and federal Veterans Affairs Minister Greg Thompson.

"Our public transit system is key to Moncton's ongoing growth and success," Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said, thanking the federal and provincial governments for the assistance.

Phase I includes the concrete foundation, structural steel and mechanical underground services that will serve as a bus depot for Codiac Transit's fleet. A fleet maintenance garage, storage facility and an administrative area are also part of the planned facility.

The first phase is expected to begin right away and should be completed by December. The entire project is expected to be completed by September 2010.

The building will be constructed at Codiac's existing site on Millennium Boulevard and the existing building will be demolished once it is vacated.

Meanwhile, the City of Moncton has hired Dillon Consulting to review all operations of the transit utility, and the firm plans to give its final report in October, in time for the city's annual budget deliberations.

mylesmalley
Sep 23, 2009, 12:42 PM
PROOOOOOF!!!

Road choked to slow traffic

Curb extensions on Frampton Lane first of several
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Frampton Lane - one of north-end Moncton's popular shortcuts between Mapleton and Mountain Roads -- is being choked down in an effort to slow cars and gain some control over the increased volume of traffic.

The City of Moncton is installing curb extensions on Frampton Lane as part of a 'traffic-calming' device. The extensions will narrow the road but it will still accommodate two lanes of traffic.
The new curb extensions recently installed in front of 704 Frampton Lane will become part of a crosswalk that will take pedestrians to nearby Mapleton Park. They will also serve as a "traffic calming device" at the top of a busy hill.

Stephane Thibodeau, traffic and parking co-ordinator with the City of Moncton, says the decision to install the traffic calming device was made by the sustainable planning committee to address the complaints and concerns by local residents that there was an increased volume and speed of traffic on the road.

Frampton Lane is a new section filled with high-end homes that runs uphill from Mapleton Road to Gorge Road. It is often used as a shortcut by commuters going from the busy Mapleton Power Centre to the densely-populated Evergreen Park subdivision. Mapleton Road is now undergoing more expansion to handle extra traffic around the busy retail area. A new building housing an orthodontic clinic, restaurant and retail space is now under construction at the corner of Mapleton and Frampton.

This week, some drivers were taken by surprise to see that the curbs on both sides of Frampton have been extended inward, toward the centre of the street. At the point of the curb extensions, the road width has been reduced from nine metres (29.52 feet) to seven-and-a-half metres (24.6 feet). It is still wide enough for two cars to pass, but drivers seen meeting each other at the spot yesterday seemed a bit confused and hesitant.

The traffic calming device has also become a topic on Internet discussion boards.

"There is more and more traffic using this route as an alternative to the congestion on Mountain Road," one driver said on a local discussion board. "It is also very easy to speed on this section of Frampton. I've caught myself doing between 70-80 kilometres per hour on this section without realizing it, which is not a good thing since you are entering a residential area. I'm sure the residents were complaining."

Thibodeau said the work is not yet complete. When finished, it will include signs, traffic markers, a crosswalk for pedestrians and bicyclists, and a widened sidewalk area nearby. The project will cost less than $10,000. He said the contract for similar curb extensions at Hennessey Drive has been awarded and the city is looking at several other areas where they could be used.

Thibodeau said the curb extensions are just one type of traffic calming device and this one is being made to Transportation Association of Canada standards. Other ways of slowing down traffic in residential areas and at crosswalks include speed bumps and small roundabouts.

The city decided to put in curb extensions after receiving complaints and a petition from local residents, who were concerned about increased traffic and speeding vehicles, and who wanted a well-marked crosswalk to the Mapleton Park walking trails

The curb extensions are made within a few metres of the T-shaped intersection where Frampton meets Thistlevale Drive. Asked why the city couldn't have just put up stop signs and created a three-way stop, he said this method would be more effective at slowing down traffic. The idea behind reducing the width of the road is to force drivers to slow down and pay more attention, but critics say reducing the width of the road could cause drivers to collide.

Ward 4 Councillor Paul Pellerin said he hopes the new crosswalk and curb extensions will calm the local residents who were concerned about speeding.

"If it doesn't work maybe we'll have to look at putting a stop sign there. We looked at a three-way stop but this but this method has a better effect at slowing speeders. Hopefully this is going to do the trick."

Traffic calming devices are used in other parts of Canada, including Vancouver and Fredericton.

Darren Charters, a traffic engineer for the City of Fredericton, said curb extensions have worked well because they increase visibility for pedestrians, but they are not the most effective way of slowing down speeders. He doubts whether cars will collide at the point where the road chokes.

"Traffic calming is a very tricky business," Charters said. "Every street is different."

Charters said narrowing the road by extending the curbs could also result in issues with snowplows and drainage during heavy rain.

+++++++

So there it is. The T&T does scoop us out from time to time. Too bad they didn't name you in their quote, MonctonRad!

MonctonRad
Sep 23, 2009, 1:22 PM

Yup........that is a direct personal quote. They unquestionably read this forum.

I'll have to PM BedfordDJ that the same thing is going on here in Moncton as in Halifax.

They should also credit Budyser about the google streetview car.

:haha: :jester: :haha:

MonctonRad
Sep 23, 2009, 1:45 PM

Now, if only we can get city hall to read our thread.........

Hey, Vorkuta, you can be our "deep throat"!!

mylesmalley
Sep 23, 2009, 2:26 PM
No offense to the journalist, but it's pretty shoddy journalism to quote someone verbatim and not even try to get their name. Not saying you should be 'outed' on the internet, MonctonRad, but it would be nice to know that if our ideas are being taken and used in others work, we'd at least get credit for the original ideas.

mylesmalley
Sep 23, 2009, 2:28 PM
Also, Re the new bus centre. It's always great to see that kind of money flowing into the city. Is it really necessary though? 12.5 million would go a long way to improving the actual bus network - more stops, vehicles, drivers, routes etc. Lets be honest, Codiac Transit is good in a lot of places, but piss-poor in others and none-existent in large parts of the city.

MonctonRad
Sep 23, 2009, 11:20 PM
Major expansion planned for NBCC Moncton

Government spending $20 million to renovate and improve Moncton campus
By Craig Babstock
Times & Transcript Staff

By September 2011 the New Brunswick Community College's Moncton campus will have a new building and room for hundreds more students.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=369018&size=500x0
The provincial government unveiled the architectural plans for a $20-million renovation and expansion of the NBCC Moncton campus yesterday. The 43,900-square foot wing will be located behind the existing structure.

The provincial government unveiled architectural designs at the campus yesterday, along with the details of a $20-million renovation and expansion project. Some of the work, such as window replacement and roof repair, has already been done, but the gem of the project is a new building full of classrooms and social space for students.

The new three-storey wing will be situated behind the current structure, on the right side. It will add more than 4,080 square metres (43,900 square feet) to the campus and be connected to the existing buildings by pedways.

Moncton campus principal Darren Rose said the school was built almost 50 years ago and while it's been expanded over the years, this will be the biggest expansion yet. He said the school is operating at capacity and the additional space will be welcome.

The school currently has 1,100 regular students and this will create space for 400 more. Courses in allied health, trades, applied arts, IT and technologies will be delivered in the new space.

Several government ministers were on-hand to unveil the plans and show off the drawings, which were prepared by Architects 4, including Minister of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour Donald Arseneault, Supply and Services Minister Ed Doherty and Justice Minister Mike Murphy, who represents Moncton North.

Site preparation for the new wing is underway and contracts for cement and steel work will be awarded in October. Construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2010 and the new structure will be complete by spring 2011. The building will be designed for maximum energy efficiency and to minimize water use and designs show it's angled to take advantage of sunlight.

Personal note: This is not new news, but it is interesting to see a rendering of the new wing to be added. Unfortunately, if it is to be added to the back of the existing building, it will be virtually invisible to everyone. Still, improved educational choice for greater Moncton is to everyone's benefit :tup:

MonctonRad
Sep 23, 2009, 11:27 PM
Strip mall seeks tenants

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=369047&size=800x0
Harrisville Place, a new seven-unit strip mall at the corner of Shediac Road and Harrisville Boulevard, is now complete and looking for new business tenants. The mall is located in the midst of a growing residential area and currently has six available units ranging from 890 to 2,200 square feet. Harrisville Boulevard is a main link between Highway 15 and the Caledonia Industrial Park.

Personal note: It's too bad this T&T picture is in B&W. This new strip mall at Harrisville Blvd./Shediac Rd. is actually quite attractive. I wonder who the one confirmed tenant is?

MonctonRad
Sep 23, 2009, 11:31 PM
And finally, a couple of odds and ends..........

- They are now working on the third floor of the new Motel 6.

- They have moved the crane at the courthouse around to the other side of the site. I presume they will be starting to erect the structural steel on the other wing any day now. :tup:

One last thing..........

They are busy seeking input from the public on what should happen to Codiac Transit in the future. Here are a couple of suggestions from me.

(1) - They should improve service frequency and the speed of commute. The easiest way to do this is to simplify the transit routes. Right now, too many of the routes meander through residential neighbourhoods in a completely indirect manner. If you want to go from Kingswood to the hospital on the Hildegarde bus, it will take you a half an hour whereas if you drive, it is only ten minutes. Just make the routes more direct!!! Instead of driving down every second street in the neighbourhood, stick to the arterials and main feeder streets. This will allow the whole system to be more efficient.
(2) - Further to the above, the transit system will have to start instituting more connecting routes and transfer stations. This would also improve efficiency. Every single bus in the system doesn't have to go downtown!! All they have to do is ensure that they connect with a bus that does go downtown.
(3) - The area industrial parks are poorly served by the transit system yet there are thousands of employees working there on a daily basis. Expanded routes into all three parks should be mandatory. Not everyone works downtown or in one of the shopping districts.
(4) - Serious thought should be given towards expanding the service into surrounding regional towns like Shediac, Sackville and perhaps even Salisbury. There should be "Park 'n Ride" lots set up in each of these centres, with direct express routes to downtown Moncton. Heck, a service to Sackville likely would be popular both ways, with city students commuting to Mount Allison as well as workers commuting to downtown. Likewise, a service to Shediac, if it also stopped at Parlee Beach would likely be quite popular in the summertime. I have not heard anyone talk about commuter express routes at all as of yet. They exist in Haifax and Saint John.........why not Moncton?
(5) - An express route to the international airport should be considered.

End of rant.....does anyone else have any ideas?

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 24, 2009, 3:41 AM
And finally, a couple of odds and ends..........

- They are now working on the third floor of the new Motel 6.

- They have moved the crane at the courthouse around to the other side of the site. I presume they will be starting to erect the structural steel on the other wing any day now. :tup:

One last thing..........

They are busy seeking input from the public on what should happen to Codiac Transit in the future. Here are a couple of suggestions from me.

(1) - They should improve service frequency and the speed of commute. The easiest way to do this is to simplify the transit routes. Right now, too many of the routes meander through residential neighbourhoods in a completely indirect manner. If you want to go from Kingswood to the hospital on the Hildegarde bus, it will take you a half an hour whereas if you drive, it is only ten minutes. Just make the routes more direct!!! Instead of driving down every second street in the neighbourhood, stick to the arterials and main feeder streets. This will allow the whole system to be more efficient.
(2) - Further to the above, the transit system will have to start instituting more connecting routes and transfer stations. This would also improve efficiency. Every single bus in the system doesn't have to go downtown!! All they have to do is ensure that they connect with a bus that does go downtown.
(3) - The area industrial parks are poorly served by the transit system yet there are thousands of employees working there on a daily basis. Expanded routes into all three parks should be mandatory. Not everyone works downtown or in one of the shopping districts.
(4) - Serious thought should be given towards expanding the service into surrounding regional towns like Shediac, Sackville and perhaps even Salisbury. There should be "Park 'n Ride" lots set up in each of these centres, with direct express routes to downtown Moncton. Heck, a service to Sackville likely would be popular both ways, with city students commuting to Mount Allison as well as workers commuting to downtown. Likewise, a service to Shediac, if it also stopped at Parlee Beach would likely be quite popular in the summertime. I have not heard anyone talk about commuter express routes at all as of yet. They exist in Haifax and Saint John.........why not Moncton?
(5) - An express route to the international airport should be considered.

I like all of your ideas. I think I have another one. Why not divide the city into districts. Have a Dieppe, Riverview, Moncton North (north of wheeler) and moncton central(within the wheeler) and moncton east(shediac road areas/caladonia industrial park. Have connecting stations between each of them that can also be park'n'rides for within the city.

Also there is no reason why a bus shouldn't service the side streets. But only do a couple and then do a bus transfer.

gehrhardt
Sep 24, 2009, 11:34 AM
(4) - Serious thought should be given towards expanding the service into surrounding regional towns like Shediac, Sackville and perhaps even Salisbury. There should be "Park 'n Ride" lots set up in each of these centres, with direct express routes to downtown Moncton.

I agree that Salisbury should have a park n ride. There is certainly not as many people driving from Salisbury to Moncton for work as there is from Shediac, but there is certainly enough. I'm sure people from Petitcodiac and the surrounding area would use the service as well.

My mother uses the commuter bus from Hampton to Saint John almost every day and she loves it. It's more relaxing, cheaper, and you don't have to worry so much about driving in bad weather. Those buses are pretty good in the snow.

Park n Ride's from Shediac and Salisbury would be top on my list instead of a new depot. :tup:

benvui
Sep 24, 2009, 1:32 PM
I agree that Salisbury should have a park n ride. There is certainly not as many people driving from Salisbury to Moncton for work as there is from Shediac, but there is certainly enough. I'm sure people from Petitcodiac and the surrounding area would use the service as well.

My mother uses the commuter bus from Hampton to Saint John almost every day and she loves it. It's more relaxing, cheaper, and you don't have to worry so much about driving in bad weather. Those buses are pretty good in the snow.

Park n Ride's from Shediac and Salisbury would be top on my list instead of a new depot. :tup:
Living in Shediac, I would love a park and ride! I don't understand why this hasn't been done yet. They already have lot for car pool parking, they could make that into a parking garage and have bus service go into Moncton.

I've mentioned before, if they had a main station downtown with information about the routes and someone to talk to I think they would find that ridership would go up. I couldn't tell you right now where you would need to go if you wanted to get a bus pass, which also tells me they need to work on their marketing.

I think they should seek advice of other transit authorities. There are other cities that have very good bus systems, we don't have to invent anything new, its alright to do it the same way that Halifax/Saint John/whoever does it. I don't think we need a made in Moncton product.

Nashe
Sep 24, 2009, 3:48 PM
Now, if only we can get city hall to read our thread.........
Hey, Vorkuta, you can be our "deep throat"!!
Depends on whether I wanted to keep my job or not. :D

JimiThing
Sep 24, 2009, 6:32 PM
I've mentioned before, if they had a main station downtown with information about the routes and someone to talk to I think they would find that ridership would go up. I couldn't tell you right now where you would need to go if you wanted to get a bus pass, which also tells me they need to work on their marketing.

I think this is a great idea and I also believe that the ridership would increase.
Since Champlain place is the main stop for most of the fleet, this would be a superb location. Maybe all that would be needed is a Codiac Transit information kiosk, with a rep. on staff part time.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 24, 2009, 7:57 PM
I think this is a great idea and I also believe that the ridership would increase.
Since Champlain place is the main stop for most of the fleet, this would be a superb location. Maybe all that would be needed is a Codiac Transit information kiosk, with a rep. on staff part time.

Champlain I wouldn't call the, 'main' stop, for all of the fleet...that would be Highfield.

Two things I would create would be a 'transit office' with exterior entrance to the bus area at highfield where people could go in, get advice on their route, buy bus passes, etc. I would also put one of these 'up town' in the Trinity/Northwest Center area.

I like the point somone made about extending the service to the Industrial Parks...the service to these is 'brutal', with the amount of people that work out here it's crazy the lack of service. I live 6.5kms (by the Moncton Hospital) from work in the Moncton park, but drive, because otherwise it would take me 45min to and hour to get to work. If I leave work at 5:20 (which is a dumb time for the bus to get to one of two main intersections in the park - Edinburgh and St. George, why not 5:05), I'm off work at five but lose 20 minutes waiting for the bus, I take it to Colishaw/Killam and then I have to walk from Greco on Killam to 'past' the city hospital. So for that whole ride I'm on the bus 10 minutes (which part of the ride goes into Westbrook circle which is dumb), charged full fair and have to walk for 25 minutes to get home. So the bus takes 10 minutes off a 55 minute walk...or a 10 minute drive. That's not a good service.

JL

C_Boy
Sep 24, 2009, 9:19 PM

Maybe it would be a good time to have this incorporated into the downtown entertainment complex (metro center). They wanted to put store fronts. The city will own this building. Specialy if it goes where Highfield Square is now it would be a perfect scenario, have this Kiosk desk, a hub station (of several, not only the one). They could even make main street a little wider at that section and have something proper for the buses to come in, maybe the side of the structure as well. But I think they should put it with this complex.

MonctonRad
Sep 24, 2009, 11:47 PM
Great input on Codiac Transit everyone!!!

I like the idea of having a streetfront office for Codiac Transit. This would indeed serve a useful purpose in providing transit information (schedules, routes and maps) and it would be great to have a convenient place such as this to purchase tickets and passes.

As far as I'm concerned, the proper location for this office would be somewhere downtown; either at Assumption Place or, as C_Boy suggested, incorporating it into the new downtown arena/entertainment complex that will likely be sited at Highfield Square. If it were built as part of the arena complex, an adjacent transit hub/transfer station could be added and perhaps even designed to be partially covered and out of the elements (important in the wintertime).

Placing the transit office and/or hub station with the new arena would serve the double purpose of encouraging spectators to consider public transit to get to/from events and games........an excellent idea!! :tup:

JHikka
Sep 25, 2009, 2:54 AM
Hey Monctonians!

I'm going to be in town on Saturday for a meeting of mine. I'm probably going to be hanging around Highfield and I was wondering if there was anywhere that would be worth checking out in that area. I already plan on visiting the Flag Shop but I don't know where else to go. I should have most of the afternoon before catching a bus back to Saint John.

tl;dr Somewhere/thing cool to see in Downtown Moncton on Saturday?

mylesmalley
Sep 25, 2009, 4:33 AM
Really depends on what you're looking for. There are some neat shops downtown and some fantastic restaurants. What are you in to?

gehrhardt
Sep 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Monctonians!

I'm going to be in town on Saturday for a meeting of mine. I'm probably going to be hanging around Highfield and I was wondering if there was anywhere that would be worth checking out in that area. I already plan on visiting the Flag Shop but I don't know where else to go. I should have most of the afternoon before catching a bus back to Saint John.

It's a bit of a walk from Highfield, but Pumphouse! :tup:

JHikka
Sep 25, 2009, 11:10 AM
Really depends on what you're looking for. There are some neat shops downtown and some fantastic restaurants. What are you in to?

Well, i'm not exactly looking for some shows or anything, i'm just wondering if there are any neat places to shop/eat at. :)

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Monctonians!

Well.........one thing I wouldn't do is hang around Highfield Square. That place is on life support and the stench of impending death is overpowering!!!!

Just take a walk east on Main Street to sample the sights. The city market on Westmorland is always interesting on Saturdays. I agree with Gerhardt, go to the Pumphouse for lunch..........award winning beer!!

JHikka
Sep 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Heh, alright. Thanks, guys!
I'll try and get some nice pictures along the way. :tup:

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2009, 2:20 PM
They are starting framing work on the new "8 storey" apartment building on Lewisville Road.

I am appalled!! There is not a hint of any structural steel anywhere on site!! It looks like it will be all of wood construction!!

How can they possibly build anything that tall out of wood alone!!

How many possible ways can you spell cheap!! There are not many quality apartment buildings in Moncton. I think that this project will just add to our already existing rather sad inventory of bland apartment buildings. Just what we need!! :yuck:

Perhaps this building isn't going to be eight stories after all. :(

mylesmalley
Sep 25, 2009, 3:26 PM
Well, it wouldn't exactly shock me to learn that the paper had its facts wrong on that one. Erick and I spent a while studying the foundation trying to guess what the floor plan would be like. it really doesn't look like they'd need 8 stories to get the number of units quoted in the article a while back. 5 or 6 stories would be much more likely - and much more feasible to build out of wood.

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2009, 4:18 PM

Yes, I imagine that you are right. I was looking at the foundation as well and it is a pretty large footprint. I wouldn't at all be surprised if this were not in fact a 4-5 storey building. It would be more in keeping with the neighbourhood.

Jerry556
Sep 25, 2009, 7:27 PM
well il tell you this right now is that if all you saw was lumber and not structural steel, this building isint gona be more then 3 stories(can't be by code)!!! which kinda sucks

mylesmalley
Sep 25, 2009, 8:26 PM
There are all kinds of buildings in town over 3 stories built from wood. Quite a few 5 story apartment buildings are, too.

EDIT

I meant NEW buildings

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2009, 11:14 PM
What kind of roads does Metro want?
Published Friday September 25th, 2009

Reactions are varied following 'choking' of Frampton Lane
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

What do we want from our roads?

New ‘traffic-calming’ measures have spurred debate about the purpose of Frampton Lane. That seems to be the question as Moncton comes to terms with its rapid growth and what to do about it. A case in point is Frampton Lane, which for many years branched off Gorge Road and served as itself a trunk for more streets branching off of it. Valhalla, Sheraton Green, Erin Ridge, Canadian Heights and on and on, the subdivisions came and the lines between them blurred in a flurry of development.

By the time Moncton's 1998 Municipal Plan was completed, there was talk of punching Frampton Lane through to Mapleton Road and even beyond to the Crowley Farm Road and Morton Avenue. There was even musing about another overpass on Wheeler to connect a Frampton/Crowley Farm thoroughfare to West Lane and bring northwestenders more directly to The Moncton Hospital.

Talk of extending Frampton continued for several years. By 2002 and 2003 discussions were in earnest, and the Times & Transcript summarized the discussions at the time this way: "Those living in the inner sections of the community, where side streets exit onto the very busy Mountain Road, complain they have trouble driving out of the neighbourhood and turning left onto Mountain Road where breaks in traffic are few whenever they have to travel south on Mountain Road. Many of those residents hope Frampton Lane will be extended eastward all the way to Mapleton Road as soon as possible."

However, the newspaper's report of public discussions in 2002 also noted, "others fear making Frampton a thoroughfare would increase traffic and encroach on the nearby Mapleton Park."

Though then-Ward 3 Councillor George LeBlanc and Mayor Brian Murphy said at the time there was no set timetable to extend Frampton, it did happen after both men left council.

Prior to that, in the summer of 2001, ADI Group prepared a traffic study on the Erin Ridge subdivision that recognized the benefits of the Frampton extension, saying the alternate access to Mountain via Mapleton would ease delays and congestion during peak periods. The study also said Frampton was already designated as a collector road designed to move traffic, and this would enhance its use.

The disadvantages ADI Group found included heavier traffic on Frampton, but the report said the volumes would still be within the maximums set out in the city's street classification manual.

Frampton Lane did finally get extended to move traffic in October of 2006, but just three years later, a new feature is being installed on the road way to "choke" traffic, a narrowing of the roadbed in an attempt to force drivers to slow down or to discourage the road being used as a shortcut.

The decision to experiment with traffic calming measures and devices in the city generally came from recommendations of the councillors, city staff and private citizens on the City of Moncton's Sustainable Transportation Committee chaired by Ward 3 Councillor Brian Hicks. Council approved putting money aside for the alternatives in this year's capital works budget and further gave approval to trying this sort of choke specifically at a regular public meeting of council on April 20.

Hicks gave the idea the thumb's up. "I think this is great," he said, suggesting there are a few places to try such measures, like Twin Oaks Drive. "I think it's going to work."

One of the Times & Transcript's online readers said the same on our website yesterday saying it's a "freeway" between the stop signs on Evergreen and Maplehurst.

Another comment, however, asks, "did anyone consult with the snowplow drivers to get their views on the road narrowing? I suspect the roads will be back to normal size by spring if we receive a lot of snow this winter -- a few hits by a plow should fix that. Perhaps this idea works in places where snow is NOT an issue. Another great engineering decision!"

The response from the city's engineering department is that the narrowing of the road will be marked by signs that aren't yet in place. Snowplow drivers do of course also handle other roads in the city that curve or narrow, generally without incident. The engineering department's Stéphane Thibodeau also noted this week the plow concern is what makes speed humps a less palatable traffic calmer when communities are in northern climates.

One reader on the Times & Transcript's website took issue with yesterday's article, saying the choke is being built at a spot "leading pedestrians into the south entrance of Mapleton Park." That was indeed a bit misleading, as there are other entrances to the park from Frampton Lane, though that trailhead is in the most southerly portion of the park.

At any rate, the reader said, "don't expect many to cross the road here to enter the park -- two of the most commonly used bridges (in the park) are closed. Why not spend some of the money on useless road narrowing and fix the park first? You can not make a complete walk around the park now."

Other Times & Transcript readers are ready to try the traffic choking idea, however. "We live on Frampton Lane and the speed at which vehicles travel along this route is terrifying, especially considering all the children in the neighborhood," wrote Gina G. "It is nice to see the city take some action at the Mapleton Road end of the street, but measures also need to be taken at the Gorge Road end as well. How about doing something like this on other residential streets that have high volume and speeds?"

Still others question why curbs instead of cops are being used to enforce speeds. Whatever their thinking, however, there's no question something as simple as a few metres of curb is capable of touching a nerve in Moncton's congested north end.

Personal note:

The T&T is trying to get a lot of mileage out of this issue........this makes three days in a row that they have featured this prominently in the paper.

I don't really have a great problem with a traffic calming device in this location. Cars heading west on Frampton at this point needs to slow down as they are entering a completely residential neighbourhood.

The city however should be quite judicious on deciding exactly where to place these "choking" devices. I have personally seen other municipalities where these are greatly overused and really act as an impediment to traffic flow. I would hate to see this transpire here.

Careful planning is necessary. As the city grows, old feeder streets will gradually take on a new role as collectors and possibly even arterials. This has to happen. Every car in the northwest of the city can't be funnelled onto Mountain Road.........there just isn't the physical capacity to do this.

Other roads like Frampton, Twin Oaks and Ryan will have to step up to help decompress the situation at some point. People will just have to get over it. Residents really can't plead ignorance either. If the residential street that you happened to buy your house on is relatively straight and wide, there should be a reasonable expectation that at some point it might evolve into a major collector street. If you are really paranoid about traffic, then buy on a cul-de-sac!!!

I hope that this issue doesn't blow up and jeopardize the planned extension of Frampton across Mapleton to Crowley Farm Road. The city really desperately needs a crosstown arterial north of Wheeler. The Frampton extension could be properly planned as a four lane street (possibly a boulevard) and serve as a major conduit between the northwest end and the Lewisville area of the city. The Frampton extension also is necessary to open up the "vision lands" for development.

There is no reason why Frampton between Mapleton and Crowley Farm Rd. couldn't be planned as an arterial and still revert to a residential collector west of Mapleton. The traffic calming device that they are now putting in would then serve a useful purpose by reminding drivers of the sudden change in the character of the roadway. This would be the ideal option.

One never knows however what might happen. Just look at how the residents of Twin Oaks were able to stop their road from being connected through to the Mountain Rd. exit onto the TCH next to the new casino. That was a tempest in a teapot!!! They painted a picture of thousands of crazed casino customers racing down their road to get to the new gaming facility. Ludicrous!!! At the same time, they gave up an opportunity to have quick and easy access to the TCH and all points east and west. I think everyone lost on this one!!!

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 26, 2009, 3:41 AM
Why wouldn't they just put more stop signs. One at Thistlevale, Upland, Sheraton Green, Meadowdale, and Hilton. I don't know the area so I don't know where there is and isn't a stop sign right now, but I think that would be a better idea. Even if aproaching the the first stop sign at Thistlevale, they could put those speed bumps that sound like a rumble strip when you drive over them. I know a few places on PEI where those are used, and the plows do fine with them.

StormShadow
Sep 26, 2009, 8:10 PM
Jerry is right, and so too is Myles.

First, it all depends on the occupancy of the building. In this case, residential. A timber framed building can not be higher than 3 stories if unsprinklered. They can be higher than 3 stories and up to 6 stories if sprinklered. It will be engineered wood (stronger then conventional lumber) for all structural components. Even though it's made of wood, the building could still look very nice (read: modern).

This choice of building material has EVERYTHING to do with economics (read: availability of skilled labor). We are very unlikely to EVER see a residential structural steel building in Moncton and even less likely a structural concrete residential building due to availability of skilled labor and materials. Oh, and demand for that type of dwelling.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

JHikka
Sep 26, 2009, 9:06 PM
Hey guys, my quick trip to Moncton today led to a couple of photos (The rest can be found on my flickr). Just thought I would put a couple of them on here.

I had a nice little walk down Main Street and it seems like there are a lot more stores than when I visited last (A few years). I also had a look at the Courthouse and i'm excited to see that go up.

Main Street:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2468/3955995785_e6b7a82277.jpg

Capitol Theatre:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2656/3956767324_44c88a28b2.jpg

Building whose name I don't know:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2441/3955978143_d008b4e672.jpg

Crowne Plaza:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3956752552_80d72c45b7.jpg

The rest of the photos can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greghickman/

All photos by me. :tup:

mylesmalley
Sep 26, 2009, 10:47 PM
Nice pics, Greg!

FYI the building in question used to be the CN building, but according to Crombie REIT, the building's owner, it's now referred to as Terminal Centre.

The slightly shorter building behind it is called Terminal Plaza.

MonctonRad
Sep 27, 2009, 2:37 AM
Jerry is right, and so too is Myles.

First, it all depends on the occupancy of the building. In this case, residential. A timber framed building can not be higher than 3 stories if unsprinklered. They can be higher than 3 stories and up to 6 stories if sprinklered. It will be engineered wood (stronger then conventional lumber) for all structural components. Even though it's made of wood, the building could still look very nice (read: modern).

This choice of building material has EVERYTHING to do with economics (read: availability of skilled labor). We are very unlikely to EVER see a residential structural steel building in Moncton and even less likely a structural concrete residential building due to availability of skilled labor and materials. Oh, and demand for that type of dwelling.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

There are actually a number of concrete, steel and/or brick apartment buildings in Moncton, especially in downtown around Cameron Street, but they are certainly in the minority and it is somewhat disheartening not to see more of them being built in the city, especially as the city continues to grow.

Economics no doubt plays a very important part in the decision of how to construct new residential buildings and, the point has been made here before, that there is no shortage of available land in the greater Moncton vicinity to keep on constructing smaller, shorter wooden buildings (we certainly aren't hemmed in on a small penninsula like Halifax is) but urban sprawl and the commuter traffic that this generates is becoming more problematic and it would be nice to see increased densification and increased heighth in the downtown core.

I look forward to new (brick & steel) apartment and condo construction downtown. Hopefully Valmond Robichaud's projects will come on line in the next couple of years.

MonctonRad
Sep 28, 2009, 7:17 PM
Crandall campus continues growth
Published Monday September 28th, 2009

Ceremony marks expansion construction of new facilities
BY GREG WESTON
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The sun was shining down on Crandall University on Saturday and the future of the Christian university looks bright as well with a $24 million expansion project officially under way on campus.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=371724&size=600x0
VIKTOR PIVOVAROV/TIMES & TRANSCR
Crandall University president Dr. Brian MacArthur heads to the microphone as Crandall University vice-president for advancement Ron Gaudet walks off the stage Saturday night at Crandall University during a sod turning ceremony.

A sod-turning ceremony to recognize the construction of a new education building, funded by the provincial and federal governments as well as alumni donations, was held Saturday afternoon at the Gorge Road institution, formerly known as Atlantic Baptist University. The three-phase plan will provide the university with added instructional spaces, student accommodations and athletics facilities.

"Many of us have been waiting for this for a long time," said Ron Gaudet, vice-president of advancement and master of ceremonies of the event. "This day is what a lot of us had in mind. It didn't come easy. It came with a lot of hard work and commitment from government and people involved in our capital campaign."

The federal and provincial governments are contributing $12 million towards the new facility, with one half coming from Industry Canada and the other from the province's Regional Development Corporation.

Industry Minister Donald Arseneault represented the province in the place of Victor Boudreau, the minister responsible for both regional development and Business New Brunswick.

"Our investment speaks for itself," he said, adding that more than $70 million in funding has gone towards recent upgrades at Mount Allison, Université de Moncton, NBCC and now Crandall. "We've made it very clear that post-secondary education is a priority for our government."

While universities across Atlantic Canada are facing difficulties maintaining enrollment levels, Arseneault said such investments are key to maintaining their competitiveness.

"Having more modern infrastructure makes it very exciting for new students. It's more appealing than going into an old structure. We have to focus a lot on the quality of education that we are providing and that's going to be a big plus. But there's no doubt we have to have more focus on international students, trying to attract those kinds of students," he said.

Since work is already underway at the site, with a large pit dug to the north of the existing buildings, representatives from the university and federal and provincial governments posed around a patch of turf that was taken from the site before construction began. It is one of the "shovel-ready" projects being funded to create jobs and stimulate the economy.

"Our government has invested a lot of money in the Knowledge Infrastructure Program here in the province of New Brunswick," said Rodney Weston, member of Parliament for Saint John, who attended the ceremony on behalf of Industry Minister Tony Clement. "It's an opportunity for us, with the recession, to stimulate the economy and to create jobs. But it's also an opportunity for us to invest in the future."

New Brunswick is receiving $49 million in funding from the program, a part of the 2009 federal budget, with $36.8 million being spent at projects at universities and $12.2 million upgrading college infrastructure. Weston said the plan has the double benefit of creating both jobs and educational opportunities.

"We're putting stimulus funding in places that make sense. We're not just spending money to spend money," he said. "So many people take advantage of the stimulus funding to build a monument, if you want -- this is not a monument, this is an opportunity."

Brian MacArthur, president of Crandall, addressed the crowd of more then 100 alumni and dignitaries while holding the shovel that was used for the ground-breaking ceremony for the original academic building. He said the infrastructure funding was crucial in the expansion of the university, which will help further its goals of attracting students interested in a Christian education.

"Behind us will rise a building that will serve future students who will make a difference in our province and our world," he said.

Personal note: It is certainly welcome to see that the government has invested over $70M into new construction and renovations at the three local universities (U de M, Crandall(ABU) and Mount Allison) as well as at NBCC-Moncton.

While this is a large amount of money and nothing to be sneezed at, it is interesting to ponder that combined, this is still less than the $90-100M being spent on the New Brunswick Casino project in Moncton. I realize that the money being spent on the casino project is all private, but the optic of this still seem kinda bad.......

mylesmalley
Sep 29, 2009, 11:25 AM
Condo rezoning passes
Published Tuesday September 29th, 2009

Public sentiment warms to sustainable Shediac housing project
A8
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

SHEDIAC - Town council gave first reading to a bylaw last night that would pave the way for a controversial condominium project slated for a neighbourhood not far from the town marina.

The topic was expected to prompt fireworks at council's monthly session last night, but the measure passed with barely a whimper.

The Saillofts Sustainable Coastal Living project, proposed by Brien Storey, involves green living, with a wood and stone exterior and super insulation designed to reduce energy consumption to the bare minimum, with green areas, composting stations and gardens outside the building.

But some of those living in the Pleasant Street and Robidoux Street neighbourhood managed to get 70 names on a petition opposing the project, arguing it's too large for their area, which is mostly comprised of one- and two-family homes, though there are some apartments and commercial buildings in the area.

Since then, public sentiment turned in favour of Saillofts after assurances that there would be restrictions on the building's height, it's landscaping and fencing. Council in recent days received 104 letters of support for the project, an almost unprecedented amount, though all but seven of the letters came from people who don't live anywhere near the project.

Deputy mayor Ernie O'Brien cast the lone nay vote last night. The project could be given the final green light it needs in order to proceed during the next council meeting, Oct. 26.

Storey had earlier made the point that the land was already zoned for multi-unit housing, and if he couldn't get approval for the 16-unit condominium project, he'd be happy to put in as many as three four-unit social housing buildings for which he doesn't need the approval of council, the Beaubassin Planning Commission or anyone else.

However, it seemed public support was turning in his favour even before that blunt "Option B" as it was termed, given that council had proposed height restrictions on the building of 8.84 metres or 29 feet and imposed other conditions such as new sidewalks, extensive landscaping that will cover 40 per cent of the property, fencing and the retention or relocation of as many mature trees on the property as possible, to name a few.

Storey had earlier removed a commercial component from the proposed complex that would have seen some shops opening on the ground floor, another sore point with the project's opponents.

In other business, council elected to build a temporary carpentry workshop on the town arena's property at a cost of about $20,000. The workshop would also be used to store tools.

Council also opted to invest about $40,000 in a new propane heating system for the Festival Arena grandstands. The current electrical system no longer works, drawing lots of complaints from cold minor hockey parents, officials and fans. The new system will take more than a month to order and install and will be coin operated at a cost of approximately $2 per hour, though a rate has not yet been set.

________

I know the building proposed isn't exactly the prettiest, however I think this project will set a good precedent for future redevelopment in the area. Density is a good thing, especially when it comes with high quality construction and plenty of additional green space. And quite honestly, you have to put something pretty darn tall up in a neighbourhood for it to really stand out amongst a field of 1 and two story houses.

MonctonRad
Sep 29, 2009, 7:32 PM
Dieppe approves apartments
Published Tuesday September 29th, 2009

Council imposes several conditions on Gould Street complex before giving the green light
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

Dieppe city council gave the green light to a 68-unit four-storey apartment complex to be built by developer Francis Brun on Gould Street, off Acadie Street, last night but not without some resistance.

Councillors were divided on the project, which has been opposed by neighbouring residents. Councillor Dave Maltais wanted the developer to secure provincial government commitment for 24 low-rental units before proceeding with construction.

Several conditions were already imposed on the developer in the original motion before council for the Résidence Acadie Residence adult residential complex, including a minimum of 69 regular parking spaces and three handicapped parking spaces and traffic-calming devices along the main artery of the parking lot leading to Gould and Thibodeau streets.

Maltais moved several amendments to the motion beginning with a commitment to set aside 24 units for low income and maintain these for 20 years, and to have the parking lot paved on completion of the project and landscaped within 30 days of completion.

The first amendment was passed with three nay votes.

The second wasn't opposed.

Maltais then proposed forcing the property owner to clear snow from the parking lot in the winter in a timely fashion to ensure all of the parking spaces were available, and asked that there be no bright outside lights to disturb neighbours living below.

Both those amendments were defeated.

Councillor Jean Gaudet at one point asked if there was a way to lower the overall height of the building to address some of the neighbours' complaints.

It came down to the wire with second and final readings of the rezoning application. In each case, councillors Maltais and Roger LeBlanc voted nay. Voting yes were Hélène Boudreau, Jody Dallaire, Yvon Comeau, Jean Gaudet and Paul Boudreau. Deputy-Mayor Paul LeBlanc presided over council in the absence of Mayor Jean LeBlanc.

Peter Gould, who resides in the neighbourhood and is opposed to the project, said after the meeting he will be seeking ways to appeal council's decision.

Personal note - Just like the Shediac condo proposal, this is also a controversial project. Sounds like councils desire for growth and an expanded tax base has won out over NIMBYism on both counts.

gehrhardt
Sep 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
Published Wednesday September 30th, 2009
A1
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Premier confirms regular season game will be played in Moncton next year

It's not just talk anymore, it's official.

The Canadian Football League will hold one of next year's regular season games at the City of Moncton's Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium on the Université de Moncton campus.

Premier Shawn Graham and Moncton East MLA Chris Collins confirmed yesterday that a contract was indeed signed with the CFL last week, although they said which teams will play, the precise date, and the terms of the contract are all details that will only come when a formal announcement is made.

That should come in the next couple of weeks, when all involved can gather in Moncton.

What is known is the deal comes about largely because the provincial and federal governments have agreed to a plan that will see the 10,000-seat stadium being built to host the IAAF Moncton World Junior Track and Field Championships double its capacity to 20,000 for the game.

As for the game itself, "it's going to be the event of the fall," the premier promised. "It's truly going to position Moncton as the entertainment centre of Atlantic Canada."

He expressed confidence that the same enthusiasm for football seen in western Canada will build here on the east coast, with Moncton's central location making the game a regional event.

The regional benefits of the event is what got the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency involved.

"I feel the vision of Peter MacKay (the minister responsible for ACOA) was exemplary," the premier said late yesterday. "I want to give credit where credit is due. He and I had many phone calls on this."

With talk already circulating about building a whole weekend of events around the game, Collins, the provincial government's lead on the file, said the fact that the game would be televised "will be terrific for Moncton's profile, with 20,000 people in a brand new, full stadium."

And relatively speaking, it will be happening shortly after the city hosts the world -- and the international media -- in the same stadium for the IAAF World Junior Track and Field Championships next July. "We'll be reminding people from across Canada that Moncton is a centre for hosting large events," he said. "It's great for football, and it's great for Moncton."

As for the long-discussed idea of making the game an annual event, or even bringing a franchise to the city some day, "this is the ultimate test market," Collins said. "After a multi-year contract, who knows?"

In the meantime, he credited the league's governors for the vision in their decision. By deciding to play a regular season game and possibly more here in Atlantic Canada, "this positions the CFL as the only professional sports league in the country that is truly coast to coast."

He also took on the naysayers who argue football is not enough a part of the culture here for long-term CFL success. He said that's just not so, especially in Metro Moncton, but also in the region at large. Noting how more of the men of his generation who grew up in Moncton played in the CFL than the NHL, Collins noted organized football has a long history in the community.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc welcomed the news from the province yesterday.

"We've been working on this for a long time," he said. Indeed, it was five-and-a-half years ago that Moncton North MLA Mike Murphy began championing the idea of the CFL in Moncton.

While the talk from the city hosting a franchise has been refined into a one-step-at-a-time pursuit of hosting other city's teams for games for now, the talk of professional football in Moncton has continued through changes of CFL commissioners, of provincial governments, and City of Moncton administrations. (It should be noted there were even discussions of a CFL franchise during the mayoralty of George Rideout in the 1980s).

The differences between the Moncton of the 1980s and the Metro Moncton of today are obvious, but there's also been one huge difference between the time of Mike Murphy's initial musings and today.

That's the City of Moncton's soon-to-be-completed stadium, which was just a blurry line pencilled in the city's capital works projections back in 2004. Now thanks to the city's landing of the 2010 track and field championships, that little line has grown into a reality much bigger.

While the 2010 IAAF games will be a massive event for southeastern New Brunswick in every way, filling the stadium for a CFL game some weeks later will mark the beginning of what comes after for the life of the stadium. With the ability to expand the stadium to 20,000 seats for everything from a football game to a big name concert to even a Billy Graham Crusade, the stadium is poised to become a key stop for events of all kinds.

Asked if he had any doubt a CFL regular season game could fill the stadium with 20,000 smiling people, Mayor LeBlanc expressed confidence in the city's ability to draw from the whole region. He also promised, "one of those smiling people will be me."

Chris Collins said because there are maximums in the league's ticket pricing structure, he expects the game, "will be very affordable for the whole family."

Collins, whose riding includes the stadium, says he's been taking part in the pursuit of the CFL since the site of the stadium was in the ward he served as a Moncton city councillor. After all these years, he pronounced himself ecstatic at the news.

"Mike Murphy started with this idea, did a lateral when he got busy with his cabinet portfolios, and we ran with it. Now, touchdown! Here we go."

What they don't mention is whether or not the 20,000 capacity will be temporary. I get the impression that it's not. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 30, 2009, 3:28 PM
"City of Moncton's Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium"

Ok...THAT really needs to change...

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2009, 3:33 PM

Yes, Gerhardt, very interesting.......

I imagine that the extra 10,000 seats will still be temporary bleacher type seating but I am fascinated about the sudden praise given to Peter McKay and ACOA and how they were instrumental in all this happening......

I suggest that the extra 10,000 bleacher seats (that were going to be installed for the IAAF track meet in any event) will now become semi-permanent. I don't think that they will be taken down after this CFL game and will be left up for the near term (the next five years or so). During this time a series of events will be staged at the new stadium including additional CFL games, rock concerts, and even outdoor hockey games (it has already been suggested that an annual rivalry game against the Saint John Sea Dogs could be staged there).

If the demand justifies the additional construction costs, I predict that the stadium will eventually be expanded to 20-25,000 permanent seats.

I think that is why they are suddenly bandying about Peter McKay's name and ACOA.

I think something is afoot here!!

C_Boy
Sep 30, 2009, 4:01 PM
:previous: .... With a probable federal election around the corner it just makes sense I guess :haha:

C_Boy
Sep 30, 2009, 7:59 PM
U de M receives provincial money for recruitment
September 30, 2009 - 3:42 pm
By: News 91.9 Staff

FREDERICTON, N.B. - The provincial government is granting 600-thousand dollars to the Universite de Moncton to help with recruitment.

The money will be used to set up a support centre and develop a strategy for reaching out to under-represented groups.

The money will go toward the university's three campuses in Moncton, Shippagan, and Edmundston.

D3nZ
Oct 1, 2009, 12:29 AM
U de M receives provincial money for recruitment
September 30, 2009 - 3:42 pm
By: News 91.9 Staff

FREDERICTON, N.B. - The provincial government is granting 600-thousand dollars to the Universite de Moncton to help with recruitment.

The money will be used to set up a support centre and develop a strategy for reaching out to under-represented groups.

The money will go toward the university's three campuses in Moncton, Shippagan, and Edmundston.

Mmm.... maybe a new job opportunity for me ;)

mylesmalley
Oct 1, 2009, 12:47 AM
God, the place better not keep that name.

Since some people are so concerned about the name going on everything, I'd even be willing for it be named Gunningsville Stadium if it means not having to call it "City of Moncton's Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium"

MonctonRad
Oct 1, 2009, 1:11 AM
God, the place better not keep that name.

Since some people are so concerned about the name going on everything, I'd even be willing for it be named Gunningsville Stadium if it means not having to call it "City of Moncton's Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium"

Hopefully "Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium" will only exist as the name for the facility until the end of the IAAF Track & Field Championships.

I don't really have a clue what the name for the place should be for the long term. There are conflicting vested interests here. The stadium is owned by the city of Moncton but is located on the U de M campus. This means that whatever name is chosen will have to be linguistically neutral and hence likely somewhat bland and ambiguous.

Perhaps it will be named after a corporate sponsor......."Stade Molson's Stadium" anyone?

Does anyone have any inspired ideas?

MonctonRad
Oct 1, 2009, 1:25 AM
New Moncton water tower operational
Published Wednesday September 30th, 2009

Emptying, demolition of old tower starts immediately
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

The water hit the necessary two-thirds full mark and the City of Moncton was expected to put its newest water tower into service late yesterday. The tower, behind Twin Oaks Drive in Moncton's northwest end, replaces an aging structure beside it, which will be drained starting today.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=373156&size=500x0
PHOTO CONTRIBUTED

The new water tower on Twin Oaks Drive in north west Moncton went online yesterday. It will be a week or so before demolition of the old one starts to take place. The results of water quality testing were imminent but not quite in when Moncton's director of water services spoke to the Times & Transcript yesterday, but Ensor Nicholson said assuming clean results, the new tank, which holds 5,500 tonnes of water, would become operational immediately.

There is still some tweaking of sensors and other monitoring equipment to be done in the next few weeks, and as that work to connect it electronically to the technicians at the Highfield Street Pumping Station gets done, more water will be flowed into the tank.

Though there will be a slight increase in water pressure as the new tower comes online, homeowners in the area "won't notice anything substantial," when they turn on their taps, Nicholson said.

The demolition of the old tower should start as early as next week, under the supervision of the same contractor hired to build the new tank.

It will likely take a few weeks and as tempting a spectacle as that might be for the sidewalk superintendents among us, Nicholson is urging people to stay well away from the dangers of what will be a busy work site.

Meanwhile, the site itself is in for some rehabilitation.

"Once the debris is removed, we'll make the site look a whole lot better," he said. "We're actually pulling the fences back and creating a green space. It'll look a lot less industrial."

That landscaping won't really happen in any big way until next spring, however.

MonctonRad
Oct 1, 2009, 1:36 PM
Apartment building planned at former Finesse Massage Club location
By Craig Babstock
Times & Transcript Staff

A former massage parlour was torn down yesterday to make way for a new apartment building.

The former massage parlour at the corner of Weldon and Gordon streets is being torn down to make way for an apartment building similar to the one on St. George Street near Highfield Street. "I hope the neighbours are happy it's gone," said Danny Gautreau yesterday, president of DEG Construction.

Workers from Yves Excavation were at 81 Weldon St. yesterday, tearing down the old site of the Finesse Massage Club at the corner of Gordon and Weldon Streets. Gautreau said his company has been hired to build an apartment building on the site.

"Hopefully we can start work in the near future," said Gautreau. "We're looking to start as soon as possible, but there's lots of planning left to do with the city."

Gautreau's company has already built several apartment buildings in downtown Moncton over the past few years, including one at Archibald and Gordon Streets, one at St. George and Bonaccord Streets and one on St. George, next to Shoppers Drug Mart. The one next to Shoppers is a 28-unit building.

"The one at Weldon will be the same type of building as the one next to Shoppers, but a little smaller," said Gautreau.

While the head of the construction company wouldn't name the property owner, the Times & Transcript reported in February 2007 that Bathurst-based cardiologist Dr. Faryala Shabani had purchased the property from the Department of Supply and Service for $235,000 and planned to renovate the building to turn it into apartments.

Gautreau said the building did undergo renovations and was gutted inside, but the cost of renovation was high and it made more sense to tear down the building and start over.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=373895&size=315x223

Personal note......Yet another small apartment building downtown but a definite improvement over what was there before. Increased densification (and gentrification) is good. I support this project.

mylesmalley
Oct 1, 2009, 2:45 PM
In the end, it'll mean one less sleazy and run down building downtown, and likely 40 or 50 new residents living in the core. I'd say this was definitely a no-brainer.

I'm really liking this trend that the region is starting to follow. Replacing old and decrepit structures in run down neighbourhoods with modern, mid-rize, mid-density construction is a huge step in the right direction. By no means is it going to rival Trump Towers, but projects like this contribute to a critical mass of density and population in the core that will pay huge dividends in the not too distant future.

mike4190
Oct 2, 2009, 2:45 AM
Does anyone know what is wrong with the courthouse camera, it has had the same picture for the last 2 weeks.

mmmatt
Oct 2, 2009, 3:11 AM
Does anyone know what is wrong with the courthouse camera, it has had the same picture for the last 2 weeks.

They may be relocating it as it seems like the building grew too large to be seen properly at that angle :)

MonctonRad
Oct 2, 2009, 1:17 PM
Trauma centre opens
Published Friday October 2nd, 2009

The Moncton Hospital's transition to new facility goes off without a hitch
Brent Mazerolle

The Moncton Hospital's emergency department serves 50,000 to 60,000 patients every year.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=374590&size=500x0
VIKTOR PIVOVAROV PHOTO
Hospital staff walk into the emergency entrance shortly after midnight when the emergency sign was lit up.

Statistically speaking, says Carole Morey, the program administrative director of Emergency and Internal Medicine for the hospital, they never go an hour without a new patient walking through the doors. In fact, 24 hours earlier, because of traffic accidents and flu season, they had been slammed.

So when the hospital's new emergency and trauma department opened at 12:01 this morning, it was only a matter of time before the first of what will literally be millions of patients over the next generation or two came walking through the door.

Dozens of the region's largest hospital's skilled professionals, medical and otherwise, were ready and waiting to go, whatever emergency should face them, be it a single patient, or a bus load that might require activating the facility's disaster plan. With two emergency departments fully staffed and operational and a brace of technicians working away to prepare every last detail, there were about 60 extra hands on deck at the hospital overnight.

And then there was ... nothing.

However, at 1:30 a.m. and as today's Times & Transcript went to press, a full complement of staff and a whole bunch of volunteer staff who showed up to help out and take part in the excitement began to treat their first patient.

You can also assume by the time you're reading this that the staff was eventually busy indeed, especially with flu season upon us. On top of that, the nightclubs hadn't yet closed as we went to press.

Not that the slow start mattered to the hospital staff. The calm professionalism on display last night showed a team that had clearly prepared for months and even years. The lack of chaos and confusion showed they had indeed thought of every possible thing. There was one glitch in a major piece of equipment that had to be remedied before midnight however -- the new coffee vending machine in the new patient waiting room needed a bit of tweaking before it was ready to gurgle its first cup.

That crisis solved, the midnight abandonment of the ER that has served the hospital for 19 years -- and the opening of the new emergency and trauma wing that should serve the community for decades to come -- was smoother than the fresh pavement in the new Emergency parking lot.

The Moncton Hospital is in too serious a business to ever be festive, but the mood, at least before the first patient arrived, was cheerful and relaxed and everyone was adjusting to their new digs with obvious pride and enthusiasm.

There was no champagne, of course, but emergency physician Dr. Bill Sigsworth wore a tuxedo for the big night, cutting a dashing figure for the opening.

"I rented it and bought the extra insurance in case I get blood on it," he said, maybe joking, maybe not.

There were no ceremonies, though about a dozen people went outside at midnight to cheer as the new sign marking declaring Emergency Urgence was lit up over the entrance we all will eventually find ourselves looking for some day or night. You will be happy to know they're ready to receive you.

JimiThing
Oct 2, 2009, 1:27 PM
On a side note: The Diagrams section is back up and running.

Nashe
Oct 2, 2009, 1:57 PM
Fixed.

Jerry556
Oct 2, 2009, 7:00 PM
just taught i mentioned that i spoke to the contractor from the company thats making the new transit building, and its only 1 storey, but apparently a good portion of it is glass, so it should be nice!!

C_Boy
Oct 2, 2009, 9:02 PM
On my way home today I decided to take Mapleton road. I notice that there were about 6-8 men on top of the building on the Mapleton Power Center. They were on the roof doing some work... (maybe things are starting up again I hope) :) . They have also put up two sets of lights, one at Lady Ada and the other at the Rotary Park Entrance and the Day and Ross Terminal.

There sure are going to be a lot of traffic lights in a short distance !

Sony500
Oct 3, 2009, 6:12 AM
:previous: that's nothing new for this city, look at the traffic lights on Vaughn Harvey between Main St. and the Gunningville Bridge, around Mountain and Trinity, Mountain Rd, between Church and Botsford.
I like the way the lights used to be, on a timer instead of the sensors. It was cool at first, but when you are coming upon the lights, and they change on you and you have to wait until they change again and there is no traffic coming the other way, its very aggrevating.

mylesmalley
Oct 3, 2009, 6:44 AM

You'd have exactly the same problem on timers though.

MonctonRad
Oct 3, 2009, 2:41 PM
City promotional video honoured
Published Saturday October 3rd, 2009

Smart city. Smart video.

A marketing video created by the City of Moncton and Bristol Communications for use in its successful bid to be named one of the world's Top 7 Smart Cities by the international think tank the Intelligent Community Forum has garnered an honour of its own.

The Economic Developers Association of Canada named the video "best of category" in its Marketing Canada Awards competition. The announcement was made at its 41st national conference in Vancouver last week.

The awards program is open to those organizations that undertake to promote and market Canadian provinces, territories, regions, cities, towns and areas with a view to improving the economic well-being of Canadians.

The three-minute video can be viewed on the City of Moncton's website by going to the link www.moncton.ca/Government/Mayors_Office/Moncton_Smart_City_Video.htm

MonctonRad
Oct 3, 2009, 4:23 PM
New TCH bridge opens this week
Published Saturday October 3rd, 2009

Memramcook link was part of old two-lane highway
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

MEMRAMCOOK - It's been a long time coming, but a new bridge on Highway 2, the Trans-Canada Highway, near here could open as early as Monday.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=375137&size=500x0
Although it was supposed to open yesterday, due to bad weather recently, the new bridge at Gaytons on the Trans Canada Highway will open on Monday, they hope. A small bit of work on the roadsides and lane striping is left to do.

"This three-span, concrete beam structure will carry Route 2 west-bound traffic over the Memramcook River and the CN Rail line in the Parish of Dorchester," provincial Minister of Transportation Denis Landry said yesterday as he took a look at the final preparatory work going on at the bridge.

"The contract also included the decommissioning of the existing bridge along with erosion-control measures," Landry said.

The bridge, originally part of the former two-lane TCH before the highway was expanded to four lanes, had reached the end of its useful life and had to be replaced. Work has been going on since spring 2008. The bridge was built in 1960.

During the construction, west-bound traffic was rerouted onto the east-bound lanes of the highway, which was divided by traffic markers.

Speeds were reduced in the area as well, in both directions.

All of that will soon be history. It was hoped the bridge would open as early as today, but inclement weather delayed its opening by a few days.

Fundy Contractors of St. George beat out five other companies to win the job. The $6.3-million project also involved eight subcontractors.

Minister of Local Government Bernard LeBlanc, of Memramcook, was also on hand yesterday to admire the finished product.

"Our government has put an emphasis on making our roads and bridges safer and more efficient," LeBlanc said.

"There is a high volume of traffic in this area, and I thank the people of southeastern New Brunswick for their patience and co-operation with the detours and the traffic diversions in this area."

The highway is not only the main commuter link for those who work in Metro Moncton but live in communities that lie between the city and Sackville to the east, but it is also the main highway to and from Nova Scotia.

Two more major TCH upgrades remain to be completed this fall in the Metro Moncton region: the construction of two bridges at Cook's Brook and the CN Rail overpass, including on and off ramps, where the TCH intersects Route 134 (commonly known as the old Shediac Road,).

The project, which also includes paving all the way to Mapleton Road in Moncton's west end, should be wrapped up in November, Landry said.

That project is worth $9.3 million.

The paving of 10.7 kilometres (6.6 miles) of Route 15, Veterans' Highway that runs between Moncton and Shediac, is also progressing.

The east-bound lanes from Botsford Street in Moncton to the Painsec Junction railroad overpass should be finished by mid-October. That contract is worth $3 million.

"These are very positive projects that have delivered jobs and an economic stimulus as part of our record-breaking capital budgets during the last two years," Landry said.

riverviewer
Oct 4, 2009, 1:32 AM
Looks like the Jehovah's Witness volunteers were back in force today building their church. There was a crowd of hardhats in the parking lot having lunch, but not as many seen working outside afterward. With the brick complete, they may be working on the interior now.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/habitatJ.jpg

mylesmalley
Oct 4, 2009, 5:25 AM
Seems a lot smaller than their old church on Mountain Road?

Sony500
Oct 5, 2009, 4:57 AM

You'd have exactly the same problem on timers though.
No you don't have the exact same problem, because you can pace yourself to get the green light if there isn't alot of traffic, with the sensors, you can drive like hell and not make the light, just because there was only one car at the light. When I come down High St. towards Mountain Rd from Connaught, and I stop at the 4 way stop at Sherrard and High. I can look ahead and I can tell from way back there if I am going to get a red light or not when I hit Mountain Rd. Those lights are still on timers. When I was driving taxi, I used to be able to leave the green light at Lutz and Main, get up to 65 km/h as quick as I can, and every time I would go across Vaughn Harvey and Main just as the light was turning yellow. I used to study traffic lights and the way they worked, so i could get through traffic as quickly as possible. Now just about every time I get to a traffic lighted intersection, I have to wait for the next green light, while there is no traffic getting the green. Talk about a waste of gas, and idling for nothing.

Dmajackson
Oct 5, 2009, 5:16 AM
Just to throw some food for thought into this stoplight debate consider this;

Here in HRM (particularily Bedford) a lot of lights are now sensors and during my frequent bike rides I've noticed that sensors cannot detect bicycles! To be honest after 5 five minutes or so of waiting I just run the red when its safe to do so.

I believe that a good comprise at most insersections is to have both systems in place. Have sensors in place so if traffic is high traffic can flow smoothly but have a limit (say 4-5 mins) when the lights will have to switch at.

Oh and in addition to the bicycle reasons it would also be helpful where either the traffc sensors or pedestrian signal buttons are broken.

mylesmalley
Oct 5, 2009, 8:06 AM

I'll concede that timing along with speed isn't possible anymore. However, times of the day where there is minimal traffic except on main streets, there's nothing to trip those sensors and you can travel fairly unencumbered. Times where traffic is heavier would make it harder to accurately get the greens based on speed and timing of the lights.

And one lead foot to another, I suspect that slowing us down is exactly what the city is trying to do :haha:

In a perfect world, the city would be built on an unbroken right-angled grid with signalled intersections at every junction. Then we could alternate north/south and east/west traffic flows no problem.

JimiThing
Oct 5, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm uncertain if all grocery stores are as busy as the Trinity Superstore on Sundays. However, no word of a lie, we waited in line at the cash for a solid 20-30 minutes. With that kind of business in the north end, there should be plans for a new store down towards Magnetic Hill.

acrew79
Oct 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
JimiThing... I got stuck in the same line up. I wasnt expecting it to be that chaotic since they are open til 8pm now.. and there is no holiday.. BUt alas.. i think it boils down to poor Schedulling on Superstores part.. I belive they are beginning to share the same mentality as a Financial institution. where the busiest times of the day.. would require the Least amount of CS reps..

the 6 cashes that were open were queued into a single line that queued down to the frozen foods aisle. the Self scan was devided into 2. the side closest to the cashes was queued in with the Cash lines.. The other side of the Self Scan was Backed up to the Fish department.

mylesmalley
Oct 5, 2009, 4:34 PM
2nd Turtle Creek dam to double Moncton water supply

Last Updated: Monday, October 5, 2009 | 1:18 PM AT

CBC News
Construction will be starting soon on a $31.2 million dam that will more than double the supply of drinking water in the greater Moncton area.

The second dam and reservoir project was announced on Monday morning with representatives from the federal, provincial and local governments. The federal and provincial governments will each pay $9.79 million and Moncton will pay the remaining $11.6 million.

The dam's construction is to begin in late 2009 and be completed in 2012.

The Turtle Creek reservoir is already dammed and the improvements are designed to meet the future needs of residents in Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe.

"This project is very important," Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said in a statement.

"A clean, safe, reliable water supply is absolutely essential to the prosperity and quality of our great communities."

Plans to build a second dam on Turtle Creek have been in the works since a water shortage in 2001.

Greg Thompson, the province's senior federal cabinet minister, said the second dam will allow Moncton to keep growing.

"The existing dam and reservoir at Turtle Creek were only designed to serve about 80,000 residents. This project will increase Turtle Creek's capacity to serve up to 175,000 people and that will dramatically improve the ability of Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview to provide for both the current and future demand for clean drinking water," Thompson said.

Greater Moncton grew by 6.5 per cent from 2001 to 2006, according to Statistics Canada, pushing the local population to 126,424.

However, Tim Van Hinte, a spokesman for the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper, a local environmental group, said he was opposed to the dam project.

He said 30 square kilometres of fish habitat and 30 acres of wetland will be lost.