PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Apr 26, 2012, 6:22 PM
Does anyone know more info on what development would happen in the futur around or in roger call center parking lot ?

Greetings and welcome to the forum. There have been recent discussions about this point on the [Moncton] Centre (inside Wheeler) thread. You should look there. :)

This thread is still active, but generally is now used for political discussions or for general posts that don't fit in well with the other Moncton threads on the forum.

In general Ashverd is planning a "Bishop's Landing" type development with several low rise (4-5 storey) condo buildings with ground level retail and restaurants, plus/minus a commercial tower (if they are successful on bidding for 40,000 sq ft of federal government office space). There will likely also be a parking structure of some kind. Construction will likely occur next year.

Philbilly
Apr 27, 2012, 2:03 AM
Thx for the welcome :) and thx for taking time to my question .your response it was very helpful :) if contruction happen were will the employes of roger park during the construction phase or that still in debate

MonctonRad
Apr 27, 2012, 2:35 AM
if contruction happen were will the employes of roger park during the construction phase or that still in debate

I can't answer this question specifically as I have no inside knowledge. All I can say is that the developers are contractually obligated to provide parking for the Rogers employees, so there will have to be both a short term and a long term solution for the parking problem.

OUIR@random
Apr 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
Is it just me? I find that the new CIBC branch on Main street is the most cookie cutter/suburban style looking branch ever. All the way to King street is no downtown streetscape...

MonctonRad
Apr 27, 2012, 1:01 PM
Is it just me? I find that the new CIBC branch on Main street is the most cookie cutter/suburban style looking branch ever. All the way to King street is no downtown streetscape...

The style of the new CIBC doesn't bother me, and the building does help in creating a streetscape to the Moncton city boundary. It's just a shame that they closed the downtown branch.

In terms of the East Main streetscape in general, the addition of the 10 story Harper Building will have a huge impact in the next couple of years. :)

OUIR@random
Apr 27, 2012, 1:51 PM
The style of the new CIBC doesn't bother me, and the building does help in creating a streetscape to the Moncton city boundary. It's just a shame that they closed the downtown branch.

In terms of the East Main streetscape in general, the addition of the 10 story Harper Building will have a huge impact in the next couple of years. :)

I will believe that project once it's finished... :yes:

NBNYer
Apr 28, 2012, 3:51 PM
I'd say that the [Moncton] threads have been pretty successful. Any word on a full subforum?

RyeJay
Apr 28, 2012, 4:38 PM

Very true.

The new CIBC is quite a waste of space and is a total loss of opportunity to develop a streetscape presence in order to encourage walking. No attempt for mixed-use. It's isolated and contributes to this city's problem of car dependent everything.

monctonian
Apr 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
CIBC building corner of Church and Main - In anticipation of this property coming on the market, any thoughts on repurposing this property? What would be the best use of this location? Retail? Food?

RyeJay
Apr 29, 2012, 1:07 PM
CIBC building corner of Church and Main - In anticipation of this property coming on the market, any thoughts on repurposing this property? What would be the best use of this location? Retail? Food?

Ideally, mixed-use, so there could be both retail and food, along with upper floors containing residential or commercial units.

Mixed-use residential is more likely to be financed, as I don't believe Moncton's downtown is yet populated enough for more commercial. The downtown needs to have more people living in it first.

MonctonRad
May 1, 2012, 3:53 AM

Well, i've been a proponent of a downtown Starbucks outlet for some time. :D

There would likely be space on the ground floor for another small boutique of some kind. Otherwise, I think the upper floors would be well positioned for office space.

PS - I'm in Vancouver for a while. It seems like it's been pretty quiet on the Moncton threads since I left on Saturday. Anything interesting going on?

BlackYear
May 1, 2012, 3:26 PM
PS - I'm in Vancouver for a while. It seems like it's been pretty quiet on the Moncton threads since I left on Saturday. Anything interesting going on?

Since you're in Vancouver, how about visiting the Aquilini Group's headquarters and poke some questions on their plans for Moncton. :D -bring spycam-

roccerfeller
May 4, 2012, 7:08 PM
Moncton, Congrats on being named one of the FIFA World Cup host cities in 2015!

You certainly seem like a great sports town.

www.tsn.ca

mmmatt
May 4, 2012, 7:11 PM
Moncton, Congrats on being named one of the FIFA World Cup host cities in 2015!

You certainly seem like a great sports town.

www.tsn.ca

WooHoo!!!!

Here's the link from FIFA (found by Vorkuta)

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1625191/index.html

This is the big one folks!! Largest womens sporting event in the world!!!

MonctonRad
May 4, 2012, 7:30 PM
WooHoo!!!!

Here's the link from FIFA (found by Vorkuta)

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1625191/index.html

This is the big one folks!! Largest womens sporting event in the world!!!

:previous:

:banana::banana::banana:

:cheers:

WE WIN!!!

Mmmatt is right, this is the big one. FIFA, especially on top of the IAAF World Junior Track & Field Championships (and the CFL games, and the World Mens Curling Championships etc.) will really have sealed Monctons reputation as an events city! This doesn't even take into account U2, the Stones, AC/DC or Springsteen.

I wonder what this will mean in terms of further upgrading of the Moncton Stadium, or new practice facilities? It should be noted that BMHS is moving ahead on their "Field of Dreams" project to improve the field sports facilities at the high school. The first part of the project will be a new natural turf soccer field. Is this a coincidence? Hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

gehrhardt
May 4, 2012, 9:38 PM
Here's FIFA's page for Moncton:

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/destination/cities/city=1000000209/index.html

I wonder if this is something that should be linked to on the Wikipedia page?

EDIT: Um, never mind. It appears most if not all of the content came from the Wiki page anyway.

C_Boy
May 12, 2012, 1:23 PM
I don't think this video was ever posted before...Its a video made by the city of Moncton about the downtown events center. It's not the most exciting video I have ever seen but I specially like what mayor Leblanc has to say at near the end.

http://youtu.be/jbx7HLFtEPc

BlackYear
May 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think this video was ever posted before...Its a video made by the city of Moncton about the downtown events center. It's not the most exciting video I have ever seen but I specially like what mayor Leblanc has to say at near the end.

http://youtu.be/jbx7HLFtEPc

What a horrible video. I turned it off after 60 seconds and started watching some other interesting Moncton related videos on the right.

Georgy boy should have that video deleted and redone.

OUIR@random
May 14, 2012, 1:42 PM
Any updates regarding the Fairfield Inn by Marriott near the airport? Is that project dead or on the back burner? No signs of anything yet, it can't open this summer or fall. :shrug:

OUIR@random
May 14, 2012, 1:45 PM
What a horrible video. I turned it off after 60 seconds and started watching some other interesting Moncton related videos on the right.

Georgy boy should have that video deleted and redone.

:previous: Indeed! What are those strange side view shots in black & white? LOL
Just altogether weird. :haha:

MonctonRad
May 14, 2012, 2:29 PM
Any updates regarding the Fairfield Inn by Marriott near the airport? Is that project dead or on the back burner? No signs of anything yet, it can't open this summer or fall. :shrug:

As you have noted, there is no visible activity yet, but it is still early in the construction season. An opening by the fall however would seem unlikely.

One interesting thing to consider is that the the politicians are beginning to talk about improving the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange with Highway 15. This might include a major redesign of the interchange (parclo). If so, the developers might be waiting to see what happens with this before committing to construction.

onecrazyleafsfan
May 15, 2012, 12:21 AM
has there been any word when they might start construction ...i live 2 blocks from there and cant wait to see what kind of crap its gonna cause!!!:koko:

MonctonRad
May 15, 2012, 12:39 AM
has there been any word when they might start construction ...i live 2 blocks from there and cant wait to see what kind of crap its gonna cause!!!:koko:

City council has approved this project earler this spring. I wonder if construction will be next year.

Good2go
May 15, 2012, 3:20 PM

The list of 2012 projects for Moncton - no mention of Killam...

http://www.moncton.ca/Government/Capital_Works_Projects.htm

bobcage
May 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
How is the Petitcodiac river and the tidal bore these days?

can't wait to go see it again this summer.....

MonctonRad
May 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
How is the Petitcodiac river and the tidal bore these days?

can't wait to go see it again this summer.....

The river channel is certainly much deeper than it was before and the tidal bore is much more vigorous. There is no question that it is a healthier river system.

The river however probably won't be as wide as you might have imagined or had hoped for. The river will remain strangulated until they remove the causeway, but at a cost of several tens of millions of dollars, I don't imagine this will ever happen.

Still, the river is a more interesting place than it used to be.....

MonctonRad
May 18, 2012, 1:24 AM
This is the link to the .pdf for the agenda of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission monthly meeting for May.

http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/814.pdf

There are several interesting requests for variances, the most intriguing of which are two requests from Crombie REIT on behalf of Warren Gates Investments to (1) - Reduce the number of public entrances at 1234 Main Street and (2) - Allow for the expansion of a building in excess of 4700 sq metres, again at 1234 Main Street.

This address corresponds to the Terminal Plaza office complex.

I wonder what's afoot here......... :cool:

LordFalchion
May 19, 2012, 4:53 PM
Does anyone know what is being built next to CDN Tire in Riverview?

MonctonRad
May 19, 2012, 6:12 PM
Does anyone know what is being built next to CDN Tire in Riverview?

This has been discussed in the [Moncton] Riverview thread. It will be a strip mall containing a Little Caesars Pizza and perhaps a Swiss Chalet.

pierremoncton
May 25, 2012, 6:01 PM
Not construction-related:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/05/25/nb-moncton-truck-stuck-949.html

RCMP Const. Jeff Agnew said there won't be any charges arising from this incident.

"He was basically following his GPS, and therefore was going blindly, following the GPS, didn't realize how low it was, and collided with The Subway," he said.

Straight from the RCMP. Just drive through anything or anyone, blame a machine (that you're not supposed to use while driving), and you're free to go.

http://i.imgur.com/p7aQI.jpg

Nashe
May 25, 2012, 6:34 PM
Straight from the RCMP. Just drive through anything or anyone, blame a machine (that you're not supposed to use while driving), and you're free to go.When else would you use a GPS device? You program the route and they give you audible directions as you move.

MonctonRad
May 25, 2012, 6:39 PM

I've been fooled by GPS devices in the past too. :)

I agree with Vorkuta, you program the device before you hit the road and listen to the voice instructions, looking briefly at the screen at times when you have to change course (for reference).

Apparently the driver was only working with the trucking company for a few weeks. Inexperience seems to have played a large part in this accident.

It seems to me that these collisions with the subway aren't happening as frequently as they used too....

pierremoncton
May 25, 2012, 7:15 PM
I understand getting lost somewhere due to invalid directions, but not ignoring what's right in front of you. There are reasons but no excuses. It's a complete cop-out. You cannot blindly follow what a GPS is telling you and then skirt responsibility. This makes it even much worse because he's a professional driver, and there's at least two or three more signs to the east of the overpass.

The guy has been driving for 30 years. If he still believes everything a GPS tells him, and is either too blind to see the numerous warnings, or too negligent to obey them, then he should retire now and make the roads safer for everyone.

What burns the most is the decision from the police to just let it go. What kind of message are they sending to everyday drivers when they just laugh at a professional who does this?

Do you see this happening?

Regular driver: "My wife on my Bluetooth was telling me to park my SUV in this compact parking spot. I wasn't sure, but I did what she said anyway. That's why I hit the other cars, officer."

Cop: LOL

MonctonRad
May 25, 2012, 8:02 PM

Good points pierre

I have sympathy for this guy being unfamiliar with Moncton and being led astray by the GPS, but at the same time, there is enough signage on the street that he should have been aware of the low overpass ahead.

He should still have been ticketed.

theshark
May 25, 2012, 9:30 PM
:previous: ....other than driving without due care and attention, I don't see any other sections of the MVA that would apply.....

But this would be easily arguable that signage is not adequate. All tho there are multiple signs ON the bridge, there is only one sign, just at bonnacord street, that say trucks prohibited and to turn left, then next sign is left turn prohibited....and by the time you see that first height sign 75 feet before the bridge....try stopping a loaded 53 footer at 45-50 km\h with reaction time... good luck.....but by looking at the picture, he has realized too late and could not stop in time...has he had not noticed at all, he would have just opened the top of the trailer like a can of sardines.

All tho some fault can be blamed on the driver, signage is also a big issue, and it has been like this for many years and never corrected.....

pierremoncton
May 26, 2012, 1:54 AM
All tho there are multiple signs ON the bridge, there is only one sign, just at bonnacord street, that say trucks prohibited and to turn left, then next sign is left turn prohibited

I beg to differ. :) In addition to Bonaccord, there are three other different signs starting from Highfield Square. But this truck actually hit from the east side, and here are the warnings:

@ Steadman (800 m)
http://i.imgur.com/SHsmy.jpg

@ City Hall (500 m)
http://i.imgur.com/PzJ7c.jpg

@ Mexicali Rosa's (400 m)
http://i.imgur.com/oYltt.jpg

@ Robinson (150 m)
http://i.imgur.com/106gL.jpg

@ Lutz (50 m)
http://i.imgur.com/8ExsT.jpg

I agree with MonctonRad that we hear about this less and less, although I don't know if it's reported everytime it happens.

Anyway, as long as buses and Christmas floats can pass, I hope they never get rid of the 'subway'.

theshark
May 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
Haaa my mistake, i taught i was coming from highfield side!!

BlackYear
May 26, 2012, 3:34 PM
Anyway, as long as buses and Christmas floats can pass, I hope they never get rid of the 'subway'.

I totally disagree. I can only wish they could reroute the rail line outside of town along the TCH.

That subway should be removed and filled in to level Main st. They can then create a new intersection at that corner.

No more rail crossing on Elmwood, Church st, St-George, Victoria, Queen and Lutz.

They can still keep the ViaRail downtown behind Highfield Square because the trains would all come from a new junction point near highway 126. Trains still need to access Industrial Park, so the line is still open. Just a dead end behind Highfield Sq.

theshark
May 26, 2012, 5:25 PM
does anybody know how old the subway is and what was the expected lifespan??

MonctonRad
May 26, 2012, 5:45 PM
does anybody know how old the subway is and what was the expected lifespan??

I'm pretty sure it was built in the 1890's and was built to last forever. :)

I don't imagine we will see the rail lines removed from downtown in our lifetime. To relocate the main line north of the city would be very expensive and it would be very difficult to consolidate a right of way as well (unless you went way far north, like north of Lutes Mountain.

VIA also wouldn't like to see their station on a downtown spur either. If the main line were ever to relocate, the VIA station would move too - like to a "Moncton Junction", just like Fredericton Junction used to be too, about 20 km out of town.

NBNYer
May 26, 2012, 7:03 PM
it would be very difficult to consolidate a right of way as well (unless you went way far north, like north of Lutes Mountain.

The TCH median could make a nice right-of-way, just like what's being done on autoroute 640 north of Montreal for the commuter rail extension, or Allen road in Toronto. Of course this would mean some additional infrastructure to get the rail line to the median over the highway and potential problems at interchanges. Overall, not a good idea for Moncton I would say.

Philbilly
May 28, 2012, 2:20 AM
Paxair inc will be moving from there current location 80 baltic st to the new ind park west when bulding is complete by year end i hear

MonctonRad
May 29, 2012, 2:46 PM
Busiest April in decade for Moncton
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Times & Transcript

It's starting to look like a hammer-and-nails kind of summer in the city. The City of Moncton issued more building permits in April than it has in any April in the past decade.

A total of 114 permits were issued, valued at $21.2 million, which means the total value of construction permits was nearly double compared to the same time last year.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9023

MonctonRad
May 31, 2012, 9:31 PM
Metro younger than rest of N.B.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Viola Pruss

Dieppe has lowest median age, highest proportion of kids in Metro, census finds

As New Brunswick's population turns older, Metro Moncton is still blooming in its best years.

In its 2011 census, Statistics Canada shows that the percentage of seniors in Metro Moncton was growing at a slower rate than in the rest of the province. The three Metro municipalities also had one of the highest numbers of children. Compared to Moncton and Riverview, Dieppe is one of the youngest municipalities. Its median age was about 37 years old. Moncton's median age was 40, while Riverview was 41.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9039

MonctonRad
Jun 5, 2012, 2:10 PM
from CBC

Planners overlook Louis J. Robichaud Street pledge
Moncton planning commission will review decision to name street Frampton Lane
CBC News
Last Updated: Jun 05, 2012 8:28 AM AT

Moncton city councillors are questioning why the Greater Moncton Planning Commission overlooked a plan to name a street after former premier Louis J. Robichaud.

In 2006, Moncton council decided to name a street connecting Mapleton Road to University Avenue after the late New Brunswick premier.

Instead, the local planning commission opted to select the name Frampton Lane for the new street east of Mapleton Road.

Moncton Coun. Daniel Bourgeois demanded an explanation at a council meeting on Monday as to why Robichaud's name was dropped from the street.

“When we look at this map and you have put for whatever reason Frampton Lane to go on the east side of Mapleton that would be contrary to what council had decided before,” he said.

Coun. Pierre Boudreau retold the story on Monday about how the name was chosen for the street in 2006.

“I know Dieppe wanted the name. There was question of naming the airport the Louis J. Robichaud International Airport. It was finally decided by consensus, in finding a suitable honourary place for this illustrious [premier] of New Brunswick, that this would be the ideal place,” Boudreau said.

Boudreau said the street was chosen to honour Robichaud because it leads to the University of Moncton, which he often said was his greatest achievement as premier.

Robichaud was premier of New Brunswick from 1960 to 1970. Along with creating the University of Moncton, Robichaud is known for the creation of the Official Languages Act and the program of Equal Opportunity, which was designed to ensure quality social services across the province.

The planning commission agreed to review the proposal to name Frampton Lane.

Other street controversies

But the omission of Louis J. Robichaud Street wasn't the only controversial issue faced by the planning commission on Monday.

Bourgeois is also raising questions about the wisdom of picking the name Marriott for a new street in the city.

The hotel chain chose the name and it was approved by the planning commission for a street leading to the new hotel that is being constructed.

But Bourgeois said the idea lacks foresight.

“Every once in a while, in the hotel business, the hotels do change hands. And I'm thinking down the road 15 to 20 years later, the Howard Johnson is located at 440 Marriott Drive,” he said.

Other councillors were upset that the Royal Oaks subdivision is only using English names for its streets.

Coun. Charles Léger suggested that all future street names be chosen at random from a pre-approved list.

personal note - I certainly don't have a problem naming the new connector between Mapleton Road and UdeM after Louis J. Robichaud. He was a great man and deserves the honour. I buy the argument that it should be named for him because this street will lead to the main entrance to the university that Robichaud was largely responsible for founding. Also, although the new road may be an extension of (the existing) Frampton Lane, it is destined to become a major city street and and a principle entry to the "vision lands". It might therefore be a bit incongruous calling it a "lane"! :)

I do have a problem however with the idea of slavish attention to a "name bank" and the concept of dogmatic linguistic equity in terms of naming new streets. I believe that developers should have some latitude in naming the streets that they are developing and adding to the city inventory. This freedom should not be absolute of course, as the names chosen should be appropriate and reflect well on the city and it's residents. I'm just not a fan of rampant statism. Personal liberty should count for something! :yes:

Finally, the little dust-up over the name of "Marriott Drive" reveals something - the fact that the new Fairfield Inn out by the airport must still be on!

:banana::banana::banana:

MonctonRad
Jun 5, 2012, 7:49 PM
Moncton's stadium ready for concerts: city
Tuesday, June 05, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Eric Lewis

Mayor, city manager hope promoters take advantage of stadium which could hold up to 30,000 people for concert

When Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium officially opened more than two years ago, there was much talk that it could host concerts in addition to local and international sports.

So far, the $24-million stadium has been put on the international stage by hosting two CFL games, the IAAF World Junior Championships and last week's Olympic women's soccer team battle between Canada and China.

Local athletes, including track and field athletes and soccer and football players, also use the venue regularly. But the state-of-the-art stadium, located on the Université de Moncton campus, hasn't been used as a music venue thus far.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9068

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 6, 2012, 3:08 PM
Moncton's stadium ready for concerts: city
Tuesday, June 05, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Eric Lewis

Mayor, city manager hope promoters take advantage of stadium which could hold up to 30,000 people for concert

When Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium officially opened more than two years ago, there was much talk that it could host concerts in addition to local and international sports.

So far, the $24-million stadium has been put on the international stage by hosting two CFL games, the IAAF World Junior Championships and last week's Olympic women's soccer team battle between Canada and China.

Local athletes, including track and field athletes and soccer and football players, also use the venue regularly. But the state-of-the-art stadium, located on the Université de Moncton campus, hasn't been used as a music venue thus far.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9068

I just wish they'd rename the stadium...Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium...good lord. Name it Ian Fowler Stadium...or even just Fowler Stadium (IMHO)

Also...if it's an "english" article...drop the "Stade", if it's a "french" article...drop the "Stadium".

MonctonRad
Jun 8, 2012, 10:29 AM
Good luck Myles on the big one billion dollar contract announcement for the proposed new LAV's for DND.

The big announcement is this afternoon in Gagetown. I see that Keith Ashfield will be at the ceremony. Since he is the political minister for NB, does this signify good news? :)

mylesmalley
Jun 8, 2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks, MonctonRad!

Just to clarify a few things though. We're part of a consortium bidding on the project. If we win, we'll be doing a component, but the work will be spread across Canada between a large number of companies.

The program is called TAPV, short for Tactical Armoured Patrol Vehicle. The contract is to build between 500 and 600 of them.

As for the significance of Gagetown: We aren't the only company in New Brunswick involved in a bid for the contract.

MonctonRad
Jun 8, 2012, 4:07 PM

I appreciate your discretion Myles, but CBC seems to think something is afoot........ :)

from CBC

Armoured vehicle announcement expected today
Two federal cabinet ministers will be at CFB Gagetown on Friday
CBC News
Last Updated: Jun 08, 2012 12:30 PM AT

Two federal cabinet ministers will be at CFB Gagetown on Friday afternoon for an announcement related to new military equipment.

Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield, the Conservative MP for Fredericton, and Julian Fantino, the associate minister of national defence, will be at the New Brunswick military base.

The two are making an announcement related to new equipment for the Canadian Forces.

They are expected to award a contract to replace the army's fleet of armoured patrol vehicles.

The federal government says jobs will be created across Canada for skilled workers to build the patrol vehicles.

Dieppe's Malley Industries partnered with a U.S. firm to bid on a $1-billion contract to build 750 armoured military vehicles for the Department of National Defence.

The company said winning that contract would mean 120 new jobs and as many as 500 others through spinoff work.

theshark
Jun 8, 2012, 6:16 PM
unfortunatelly, Malley was not in the winning bid.....but look at it this way, I'm pretty sure they put themselves a lot more on the map with this contract bid than before!

MonctonRad
Jun 8, 2012, 7:33 PM
from CBC

Ottawa company lands $1.25B armoured vehicle contract
Textron Systems Canada Inc. will supply Canadian Forces with 500 new vehicles
CBC News
Last Updated: Jun 08, 2012 4:32 PM AT

An Ottawa company has landed a $1.25-billion contract to replace the army's fleet of armoured patrol vehicles, federal officials announced at a military base in New Brunswick Friday afternoon.

Textron Systems Canada Inc. will supply 500 vehicles to the Canadian Forces, with the option for another 100, said Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield, the Conservative MP for Fredericton, and Julian Fantino, the associate minister of national defence.

The first tactical vehicles are expected to be delivered in 2014, they told the crowd gathered at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in Oromocto.

The federal government says jobs will be created across Canada for skilled workers to build the patrol vehicles.

Dieppe's Malley Industries was not part of the winning bid.

The company had partnered with a U.S. firm to bid on a $1-billion contract to build 750 armoured military vehicles for the Department of National Defence.

The company said winning that contract would have meant 120 new jobs and as many as 500 others through spinoff work.

That's bad news. Sorry to hear about that Myles but as Shark said, this would have been a valuable learning experience for your company, and it should help you compete with the big boys when the next federal contract comes calling. Just think of all the new industry contacts you have now! That in itself should be very valuable..... :tup:

Freddypop
Jun 8, 2012, 7:37 PM
unfortunatelly, Malley was not in the winning bid.....but look at it this way, I'm pretty sure they put themselves a lot more on the map with this contract bid than before!

Too bad. Next time Myles....next time...:tup:

mylesmalley
Jun 8, 2012, 8:54 PM
While it's too bad ours wasn't the successful bid, we've gotten a lot out of the whole process. It takes a lot of preparation and learning to put a bid like that together which can be applied to other projects going forward. Most importantly, we're on the radar now in an industry that is very hard to break in to. Not to mention we've got some great exposure across the country.

All that aside, we still have a ton on the go. This defense stuff was going over and above what we're already doing. We've just introduced a new ambulance model for the Ontario and U.S. markets, and having great success with our mobility and plastics businesses as well.

MonctonRad
Jun 9, 2012, 1:29 PM
Apparently they had the grand opening for the UPS operations centre in Dieppe the other day.

According to the T&T, the recent UPS expansion in the Maritimes will create 250 new jobs. Of these, 100 will be located in greater Moncton.

UPS already has over 400 employees downtown in Heritage Court. I would therefore presume that when the dust had settled, that there will be over 500 UPS employees in greater Moncton, with the probability of future expansion as the company further develops an air cargo business at the GMIA. :tup:

MonctonRad
Jun 11, 2012, 9:58 PM
City explores options for RCMP home
Monday, June 11, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

Codiac Regional RCMP headquarters on Main Street has been in service since 1980 and now too small

Now that a long debate over who would police Moncton is finally laid to rest, the City of Moncton is moving ahead with plans to improve the work space of the Codiac Regional RCMP.

The police service patrols Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview and is housed in a building owned by the City of Moncton.

The facility at 520 Main Street was originally built for the now long disbanded Moncton Police Force and has been in use since 1980.

It's overcrowded to the point the 911 centre and forensic identification sections have already been moved off-site, one of the floors in the building is now sloped and there are issues with heating and ventilation, not to mention concerns about aging cells not meeting modern safety standards.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9096

personal note - i wonder if the city shouldn't just plan on building a brand new Codiac RCMP HQ rather than renovating the existing building. With the regional jail relocating to Shediac, there will be an enticing new downtown lot available immediately adjacent to the new courthouse. This would seem to be an ideal location to me!

mylesmalley
Jun 11, 2012, 10:46 PM
Expensive proposition though. The city's debt level is manageable, but it would probably be difficult to take on the events centre as well as an entirely new police station.

MonctonRad
Jun 12, 2012, 7:34 PM
The editorial in the T&T today raised an interesting possibility that I thought was actually quite inspired.

The editors suggested that a portion of the (old) Moncton High School building could be converted into a new Codiac Regional RCMP HQ.

I rather like this idea. The majority of the building could be taken over by the police, leaving the auditorium seperate and available for public use.

What do other people think?

mylesmalley
Jun 12, 2012, 9:41 PM
Nah. That'd make too much sense. It'd be much better if the city built a new one out behind Lutes Mountain.

NBNYer
Jun 21, 2012, 4:54 PM
Moncton High relocation prompts legal action

Four concerned citizens are taking legal action against the provincial government’s decision to relocate Moncton High School to the outskirts of the city from downtown.

They filed papers with the Court of Queen's Bench last Thursday, asking for a judicial review of the decision to replace the 77-year-old school with a new building in the Royal Oaks subdivision.

“We know they're already doing ground prep work at the site so really every day that goes by they're putting more money into the site so we obviously want to take care of this quickly,” he said.

More here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/06/19/nb-moncton-high-location-court.html

Not over yet it seems.

MonctonRad
Jun 21, 2012, 11:36 PM

What really ticks the complainants off in this case is all the secrecy about the site selection process. They have gone to government a number of times to seek additional information about how and why Royal Oaks was chosen as the site of the school, and all they have gotten back is heavily redacted documents with large amounts of text blocked out. This seems to be a massive state secret.

If the government were only more forthcoming about the selection process, this lawsuit could have been avoided.

Right now, it only seems that the government has something to hide........

MonctonRad
Jun 21, 2012, 11:49 PM
Is there too much parking?
Thursday, June 21, 2012
Times & Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

City, business officials try to reach delicate balance between need for parking, other uses for land

A new brochure from Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Inc. helpfully emphasizes how many interesting places exist downtown.

But that might not be the first thing that strikes you about the hybrid aerial photograph and illustration of the downtown core. Instead, it might just be how much of downtown is taken up with sprawling parking lots.

That's both a bad thing and a good thing, of course. Arguably, windswept asphalt plains are the abso lute opposite of ambience, especially when Moncton's downtown is compared to the dense and vibrant downtowns of Halifax, Fredericton and even Saint John. That's clearly a bad thing for downtown.

Read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9172

Personal note:

Is there too much parking?

Short answer - YES!!!!

The trouble is that the vast majority of the wasteland of surface parking in the core is off limits to casual parkers, patrolled by towing companies and booters. There are many people who do not know where it is safe to park and where it is not. My son got towed the other weekend and needed $180 to get his car out of hock. The uncertainty of parking has made the core an uninviting place to casually spend time in the evening. How can you enjoy yourself if you don't know if your car will be gone when you get back? At the same time, the ambience of the core, while very nice in places, is contaminated by acres of useless surface parking. The core would be much more inviting if it were denser and more attractive.

Solution:
- ban booting
- fence in all private parking lots
- encourage densification by transforming the acres of surface parking in the downtown into new retail, commercial and residential development.
- replace the surface parking with a series of strategically placed downtown parking garages.

The current bandaid of new on street metered parking on Main St is not the answer!!!!. :hell:

OUIR@random
Jun 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
Castle Manor has been sold! A Moncton area developer has bought the building, but he's not saying what he will be doing with it according to the CBC. However, there is real estate investor from Toronto who is interested in renovating the building into a boutique hotel. The price tag for the project would be 5 million dollars, ouch! Nonetheless, how great is that project? I love the idea, hope it happens! We have to protect the few historical buildings we have left in Moncton!!! I just hope it won't be demolished for the land and replaced with a strip mall, a 3 story vinyl clad apartment building, a Sobeys or Shoppers Drug Mart. I think Moncton has the largest ratio of Sobeys-Shoppers Drug Mart-Tim Hortons in Canada, talk about Monopoly.

MonctonRad
Jun 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
The T&T seems to be taking a very hard editorial stance against the "Stop the Royal Hoax" group and their legal action against the government.

I think the paper is missing the point. I believe most people accept the fact that a new school is necessary. The real issue is "why is the new school being built at city limits, so far from where the majority of students live"? Also, why is there so much secrecy around the site selection process?

If the new MHS had been built somewhere in the Lewisville/Harrisville area, I don't think the opposition would have been nearly so great. Many of the MHS students come from this area and also from Dieppe, which is immediately adjacent. A school in this location also would have been much more conveniently situated to the major highways for the regional bussed students.

Why is it so important that MHS be located in an isolated location at city limits? What is the political reason for this? Inquiring minds need to know!

MonctonRad
Jun 26, 2012, 2:58 AM
Brace yourselves everyone!!!!

They are busy painting the lines for the parking spots on Main St tonight. :( :hell: :(

I predict traffic chaos tomorrow. I drove through there tonight at 11:30PM, and I can already see problems. A taxi stopped to let patrons off in the traffic lane in front of me and I was forced to wait for it to move for several minutes. This was on a section of the street where I formerly could have been able to pass it.

Paralysis will ensue...... :hell:

Mattyyy
Jun 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
Brace yourselves everyone!!!!

They are busy painting the lines for the parking spots on Main St tonight. :( :hell: :(

I predict traffic chaos tomorrow. I drove through there tonight at 11:30PM, and I can already see problems. A taxi stopped to let patrons off in the traffic lane in front of me and I was forced to wait for it to move for several minutes. This was on a section of the street where I formerly could have been able to pass it.

Paralysis will ensue...... :hell:

I'm not saying I agree with the parking solution, however instead of predicting doomsday and catching it from every negative angle possible - at least give it a chance and see how it works out. It is after all only a trial, and a short term fix. The city isn't going to build parking garages at $35,000 per space, so unless you can come forth with better solutions, for the short term try to embrace it and see how it works out.

MonctonRad
Jun 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not saying I agree with the parking solution, however instead of predicting doomsday and catching it from every negative angle possible - at least give it a chance and see how it works out. It is after all only a trial, and a short term fix. The city isn't going to build parking garages at $35,000 per space, so unless you can come forth with better solutions, for the short term try to embrace it and see how it works out.

Oh, they can try it, and maybe I'll be wrong and have to eat humble pie, but I still think that this is nothing but a cheap bandaid solution, and if the city is really interested in growing the downtown then they will have to make the hard decisions and do it right.

I can hardly wait for the next time a tractor trailer tries to make it down Main St and realizes too late that they can't make it under the subway. Can you imagine trying to back an 18 wheeler up on a Main St narrowed by parked cars next to the curb? Not a pretty sight!!!

Nashe
Jun 26, 2012, 12:31 PM
I can hardly wait for the next time a tractor trailer tries to make it down Main St and realizes too late that they can't make it under the subway. Can you imagine trying to back an 18 wheeler up on a Main St narrowed by parked cars next to the curb? Not a pretty sight!!!They should put one of those (ugly) I-beam height-regulators just after the intersection with Assumption, before the pedway. :) Maybe put up a sign on it that reads "You must be shorter than THIS to ride The Main Street." or "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here".

MonctonRad
Jun 26, 2012, 3:08 PM
from CBC

Moncton council accepts high school deal

Provincial government will cover $12M of costs to build at Royal Oaks
CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2012 6:02 AM AT Last Updated: Jun 26, 2012 7:23 AM AT

The majority of Moncton council voted Monday to accept a provincial deal to help cover some of the city's costs in building a new Moncton High School at the Royal Oaks subdivision.

The city has opposed the provincial government’s plan to relocate the school to the city’s outskirts in part because of the $30 million it would cost the city for new roads, sewer and water lines.

But the provincial government has now offered to pay part of the cost, said Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc.

“If we refuse it, then we will borrow the millions of dollars, up to $12.8 million to cover the cost that they have offered to pay and then we would ask the taxpayers of Moncton alone and their children to bear the cost of that,” he said.

Citizens have requested the new school be located closer to the city’s downtown and the former council had called for a public forum with the provincial government on the matter.

Coun. Dawn Arnold urged council to continue to fight the provincial government’s plan to move the school out to Royal Oaks.

Councillor feels bullied

"I don't think that we should be bullied and I feel like that is what is happening right now,” she said.

Fellow Coun. Charles Leger was also opposed.

“We can't seem to stop the government from doing what it wants to do and it has the legal right to do that, but we don't have to agree to it,” he said.

Still, Coun. Daniel Bourgeois is pleased the provincial government has agreed to pay slightly more than a third of the costs the city will face.

“Council was consulted this time, not only consulted but we were able to sit at the table to negotiate with the province,” he said.

'I think we need to stop whining.'

Coun. Paulette Thériault said it's time for the city to move on.

“I think we need to stop whining,” she said.

Thériault says the city is growing and the provincial government has agreed to save the old Moncton High by turning it into condos and offices.

Last week, four concerned citizens filed papers with the Court of Queen's Bench, asking for a judicial review of the decision to replace the 77-year-old school with a new building in the Royal Oaks subdivision.

The citizens contend the provincial government is in violation of the Community Planning Act by putting the school outside the serviceable boundaries of the city and are asking the court to quash the decision.

They also want all of the information the government used to make the decision to put the school in Royal Oaks.

The new school is scheduled to open in 2014, a year later than scheduled due to construction delays.

The estimated 1,300 students and staff will remain at the old school until the new building is ready, officials have said.

The new school was announced in February, 2011. The provincial government says it scouted more than 20 potential sites before choosing Royal Oaks in July, 2011.

Taeolas
Jun 26, 2012, 3:19 PM
That's disappointing; and I'm not even in Moncton.

What's especially sad is that people are making it out as "Either build a new school out in the Boonies, or renovate the existing school." binary option, instead of considering that most would accept a "build a new school somewhere where there are actually people now." solution. All in all, this MHS issue is disappointing, to say the least. :(

kwajo
Jun 26, 2012, 5:38 PM
It seems especially odd that the province wants the Royal Oaks location so badly that they are even willing to pay an additional $12 million for the extension of services. If their budget was that large in the first place, why didn't they look more extensively at centrally-located sites?

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 26, 2012, 6:03 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/606057312.jpg?key=16001200&Expires=1340734755&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=cx0s~3js4KDPay1hpJw8tqjzFSUbJXtUDVFfu-YpfQ2aIBBz1INy~nsmIJ~dno~Yu-DMgxHDRHhBMO259vK2aoMc9cEHN1g4I6IJs2yQ~pGuApuDBOWWAvpXbQzmS2UqaGq4upvEyRFn0LbK90qDgPS~8h1AkplxT7kifam~CZI_

this is horrible...

JHikka
Jun 26, 2012, 7:41 PM
What's especially sad is that people are making it out as "Either build a new school out in the Boonies, or renovate the existing school." binary option, instead of considering that most would accept a "build a new school somewhere where there are actually people now." solution. All in all, this MHS issue is disappointing, to say the least. :(

Are there any other prime possible locations in Moncton to build a high school? Anywhere, say, within the boundaries of Wheeler Boulevard?

MonctonRad
Jun 26, 2012, 7:50 PM
Are there any other prime possible locations in Moncton to build a high school? Anywhere, say, within the boundaries of Wheeler Boulevard?

Within Wheeler, not really. The best site inside Wheeler would likely be where the old army base was, adjacent to Vaughan Harvey Blvd, but that is less than half a mile from Harrison Trimble High School.

There are oodles of possible sites south of the TCH. My own personal favourite would be somewhere in the east end near Harrisville Blvd. This would be convenient for the east end of Moncton and for Dieppe, which is probably where at least half of the student body would originate from.

mylesmalley
Jun 26, 2012, 8:27 PM
When you consider the amount of money the province is willing to pony up for infrastructure improvements could instead be repurposed for buying land, there's a ton of options throughout the city.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it around the NW corner of Morton and McLaughlin. There's also tons of land off Mapleton, or the extension of Frampton through the vision lands. It could even go on the far side of Elmwood around where the new Sobeys is. There was also the suggestion of putting it at the SW corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main.

As the minister has said, they considered 20 or so properties as potential sites. The problem is that they're refusing to say why they were all discarded in favour of Royal Oaks. If all they needed was a flat, serviceable lot, they could have acquired a hundred acres in one of the industrial parks!

BlackYear
Jun 26, 2012, 11:36 PM
It's here folks!!! Parking on Main St has begun. :hell:

Hell downtown is now here! Can't wait to witness the first parallel parking attempt. Or better yet, the first driver's side door to get ripped off its hinges. Or, how the hell emergency vehicles are going to get through!

I'm going to bring my lawn chair and a bag of popcorn on the next sunny day and watch the fiasco. I see a lot of YouTube moments in my future!

MonctonRad
Jun 26, 2012, 11:50 PM

I don't imagine that the Codiac Transit bus drivers appreciate the new paradigm.

We used to worry about the old Gunningsville Bridge eating the sideview mirrors off our cars. I think that this concern will now be transferred to drivers on Main St. :(

ballain
Jun 27, 2012, 3:18 AM

I think the city should build a Nice parking garage, dosen't matter how much it cost, would make alot more sense then having all the city buses ride all day, they are almost always empty, I cant even imagine how much it cost

monctonian
Jun 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
Within Wheeler, not really. The best site inside Wheeler would likely be where the old army base was, adjacent to Vaughan Harvey Blvd, but that is less than half a mile from Harrison Trimble High School.

There are oodles of possible sites south of the TCH. My own personal favourite would be somewhere in the east end near Harrisville Blvd. This would be convenient for the east end of Moncton and for Dieppe, which is probably where at least half of the student body would originate from.

There are hundreds of acres of undeveloped land between Elmwood Drive, the TCH, the Shediac Road and Mill Road. And much closer in than Harrisville Boulevard.

However that area is electoral district 21 - Moncton East. The Royal Oaks location is in electoral district 24 - Moncton Crescent.

Comprestand?

MonctonRad
Jun 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
However that area is electoral district 21 - Moncton East. The Royal Oaks location is in electoral district 24 - Moncton Crescent.

Comprestand?

Oui, je comprend tres bien!!

Royal Hoax is also at the city limits, within spitting distance of a certain Kent South riding occupied by a certain provincial minister quite germaine to the overall site selection process....

The process is similar to the one used to locate the new regional provincial jail in Shediac, at least a 25 minute shuttle ride for inmates from the new provincial lawcourts. Meanwhile there was oodles of available land in several of the regional industrial parks that could have accomodated the facility that were much closer.....

onecrazyleafsfan
Jun 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
codiac transpo on stike been locked out by the city

Options

City of Moncton / Ville de Moncton

Stranded at a bus stop today? Call 857-2008 and we'll send a taxi to you at the city's expense.

Vous êtes pris à un arrêt d'autobus aujourd'hui? Composez le 857-2008, et nous vous enverrons un taxi, gracieuseté de la Ville.

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 27, 2012, 3:42 PM
Meanwhile there was oodles of available land in several of the regional industrial parks that could have accomodated the facility that were much closer.....

Or just made it part of the new 'law courts', and attached a new Codiac RCMP station to it too...but I digress, that makes too much sense.

JL

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 27, 2012, 3:46 PM
It's here folks!!! Parking on Main St has begun. :hell:

Hell downtown is now here! Can't wait to witness the first parallel parking attempt. Or better yet, the first driver's side door to get ripped off its hinges. Or, how the hell emergency vehicles are going to get through!

I'm going to bring my lawn chair and a bag of popcorn on the next sunny day and watch the fiasco. I see a lot of YouTube moments in my future!

This so isn't going to end well...dumb move.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/606057312.jpg?key=16001200&Expires=1340734755&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=cx0s~3js4KDPay1hpJw8tqjzFSUbJXtUDVFfu-YpfQ2aIBBz1INy~nsmIJ~dno~Yu-DMgxHDRHhBMO259vK2aoMc9cEHN1g4I6IJs2yQ~pGuApuDBOWWAvpXbQzmS2UqaGq4upvEyRFn0LbK90qDgPS~8h1AkplxT7kifam~CZI_

It also bites for anyone sitting on a patio...now they have a row of cars directly beside them, spitting exhaust even closer to them than before...but yup, this encourages more people to come downtown. :shrug:

This is a deathtrap waiting to happen, wait until a kid jumps out from between one of these parked cars and gets hit...but cha-ching, the cash registers are flowing on Main. :shrug:

...sigh...

MonctonRad
Jun 28, 2012, 8:46 PM
Conference Board says Moncton will grow
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Telegraph-Journal
By: Bruce Bartlett

Moncton will be the economic hot spot in New Brunswick this year, according to an outlook published by the Conference Board of Canada, but the economy in Saint John is also expected to grow faster than it did last year.

Moncton's gross domestic product (GDP) will grow by 2.1 per cent in 2012, and that rate is expected to increase to 2.3 per cent in both 2013 and 2014, according to board's first-ever metropolitan outlook for the Moncton Census Metropolitan Area (CMA). Saint John is expecting growth of 1.4 per cent this year and 1.9 per cent from 2013 to 2016.

Moncton's relative strength in comparison to the rest of the province has a lot to do with population growth, said Jane McIntyre, an economist with the Conference Board.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9236

odonymist
Jun 28, 2012, 8:58 PM
from CBC

Planners overlook Louis J. Robichaud Street pledge
Moncton planning commission will review decision to name street Frampton Lane

[/COLOR][/I]

I had read a few pages back onhere that the extension of Framptonw as going to be called CREEK STREET. Wonder what happened to that.

MonctonRad
Jun 28, 2012, 9:43 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

It doesn't matter too much what they were going to call the street. It will be called Louis J Robichaud St, which is a fitting name.

The only incongruous thing is that the street will currently only be a stub off of Mapleton Rd. The name will make more sense when it connects through to the Crowley Farm Rd and on to U de M.

I wonder how many years it will take to extend the street the whole way? :rolleyes:

JasonL-Moncton
Jun 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
New "bar/grill" going in to the old "voodoo/sweetwaters/kelsey's" building by the NBLC on Mountain by Fairlanes Bowling Alley.

Red Leaf Bar & Grill: http://www.facebook.com/RedLeafGrillLoungeLtd

Knew nothing about this, just saw a sign posted out front that it was opening soon.

JL

BlackYear
Jun 29, 2012, 3:24 PM
New "bar/grill" going in to the old "voodoo/sweetwaters/kelsey's" building by the NBLC on Mountain by Fairlanes Bowling Alley.

Red Leaf Bar & Grill: http://www.facebook.com/RedLeafGrillLoungeLtd

Knew nothing about this, just saw a sign posted out front that it was opening soon.

JL

I think it was posted on here a while back. At the rate they're going, they should be open by 2018. :shrug:

Jerry556
Jun 30, 2012, 1:12 AM
I know everyone's complaining about the new parking downtown, but I was downtown tonight, and it seems a fair amount busier then usual, I think this is a good thing and will help and compound the momentum we have going for developing the downtown.

David_99
Jun 30, 2012, 1:21 AM
I know everyone's complaining about the new parking downtown, but I was downtown tonight, and it seems a fair amount busier then usual, I think this is a good thing and will help and compound the momentum we have going for developing the downtown.

I'd thank the weather + long weekend for that. If you want to go downtown, you go, and park where ever you can. You don't cancel your night because the parking behind city hall is full. You drive a block or two and find a spot. At least I hope we're not that lazy.

CdnEh
Jul 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
Has anybody noticed the "State" dropdown on Apple's hiring page now includes New Brunswick, and City includes Moncton?

Could this be a sign that Moncton is FINALLY getting an Apple store?

Saint John next please :)

MonctonRad
Jul 2, 2012, 2:15 AM

Don't know what this is about. The page seems to be for corporate positions, not retail.

There is an Apple "premium reseller" setting up in Champlain Place (and Regent Mall in Fredericton too) this fall. This store is called Jump+ and it sounds like it is a high quality Apple affiliate, complete with "geniuses" and in store repair services. I don't think this is what the link on the Apple page is referring to.....

CdnEh
Jul 2, 2012, 11:11 PM

Don't know what this is about. The page seems to be for corporate positions, not retail.

There is an Apple "premium reseller" setting up in Champlain Place (and Regent Mall in Fredericton too) this fall. This store is called Jump+ and it sounds like it is a high quality Apple affiliate, complete with "geniuses" and in store repair services. I don't think this is what the link on the Apple page is referring to.....

Apple has no corporate presence in Moncton though, and I highly doubt Apple would be putting up postings for 3rd party affiliates on its website.

The reason I point this out is because when the "Nova Scotia" option showed up, rumours swirled saying a Halifax Apple Store was in the works, and they turned out to be true. Why would Apple suddenly have an option to search for jobs in New Brunswick, and only list Moncton under the Cities list, if there weren't plans?

They don't list the other provinces where there aren't any stores...

http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showSearchInterface

MonctonRad
Jul 2, 2012, 11:26 PM

Granted, but why would Jump+ open a store in Champlain Place if Apple were considering their own store for the city. It doesn't make much sense......

michael_d40
Jul 3, 2012, 12:48 AM
A clip from the job posting link you copied,

Requisition Number 16739387
Job title iPhone Solutions Consultant - part-time
Location Moncton
Country Canada
City Moncton
State New Brunswick
Job type
Job description Overview:
The iPhone Solutions Consultant (ISC) is a part-time Apple employee who oversees the sales, merchandising and operations of Apple solutions in a Reseller’s store.

Looks like it is for Jump+ and not an actual Apple store.

MonctonRad
Jul 3, 2012, 2:56 AM

Interesting michael. What your post clearly indicates is the close relationship between Jump+ and Apple. A relationship that is so close that there will be actual Apple employees stationed in the Jump+ store to act as consultants and resource people. This is just another indication that Jump+ is truly going to be the next best thing to an actual Apple store. :tup:

CdnEh
Jul 3, 2012, 5:14 AM
A clip from the job posting link you copied,

Requisition Number 16739387
Job title iPhone Solutions Consultant - part-time
Location Moncton
Country Canada
City Moncton
State New Brunswick
Job type
Job description Overview:
The iPhone Solutions Consultant (ISC) is a part-time Apple employee who oversees the sales, merchandising and operations of Apple solutions in a Reseller’s store.

My bad :haha:

My hopes for an Apple Store... crushed. I long for the day when I don't have to drop my Mac off at that seemingly useless and powerless "authorized service provider" on Weldon St.

I actually long for the day when I don't have to drive all the way from Saint John for an Apple Service Provider, but, you know, one step at a time, I guess.

MonctonRad
Jul 3, 2012, 10:53 AM
My hopes for an Apple Store... crushed. I long for the day when I don't have to drop my Mac off at that seemingly useless and powerless "authorized service provider" on Weldon St.

Jump+ actually looks like a (slightly) downscaled Apple Store. There will be actual Apple employees in the store. The focus is solely on Apple products. There will be in store repair services. This should be a lot better situation than your previous experience with the "authorized service centre". :)

OUIR@random
Jul 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Jump+ actually looks like a (slightly) downscaled Apple Store. There will be actual Apple employees in the store. The focus is solely on Apple products. There will be in store repair services. This should be a lot better situation than your previous experience with the "authorized service centre". :)

I think we should be careful about saying the this is a mini-Apple store, Apple stores are corporately owned and operated directly from Cupertino, California. Associates there are indeed Apple employees trained by Apple. jump+ is a privately owned Canadian company unrelated to Apple other than they only sell Apple products, therefore a specialized reseller store. Staff there will be Apple experts, but they will absolutely not be "Apple" employees. My take on this matter...

MonctonRad
Jul 3, 2012, 2:29 PM

No question that Jump+ is not an actual Apple Store, but it will be set up in a manner similar to an Apple Store, specializing only in Apple products and services, provide seminars for Apple users and will also provide in store repair services for Apple products.

In addition, there will be at least one actual honest to God Apple employee embedded in the store for customer service. If that isn't an indication of a "special relationship" between Jump+ and Apple, then I don't know what is.......