PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Wrightguy0
Nov 21, 2008, 11:18 PM
the small windows are most likely for security in certain offices, it's a good design and I think it will be a great addition to downtown Moncton.

It's great to see all the development in Moncton, add that to the development in Saint John and Fredricton and I think urban New Brunswick is doing extremely well.

C_Boy
Nov 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading the thread for quite some time. I'm just wondering if anyone else picked up on the comments made by CFL commissioner Mark Cohon last night? Seems they are looking at having a regular season game at the new UdeM stadium

"Cohon also said the CFL is looking into staging regular-season games in Moncton, where a new track-and-field facility is scheduled for completion in 2010."

CBC article (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/11/21/cfl-cohon.html)

1. Welcome to the forum benvui! :)

2. Wow that court house looks ALOT better, not the best, but I don't think it will be an eyesore either! haha.

3. For the CFL Games, WHOHOO! :tup:

4. Last but not least, can't wait to find out more about the so called "Metro Center"

mmmatt
Nov 22, 2008, 1:12 AM
The potential games in Moncton were mentioned in quite a few national media sources..heres a few:

- Canadian Football League eyes Moncton for future games (CBC) (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2008/11/21/nb-cfl-moncton.html)

- Grey Cup: CFL eyeing regular season game in Moncton: Cohon (National Post) (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2008/11/21/grey-cup-cfl-eyeing-regular-season-game-in-moncton-cohon.aspx)

- Canadian Press (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j29HLiDev-Mzv0Pz45aO95yGO9HA)

From TSN.com:

The commissioner addressed questions regarding new exposure into markets like Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax, with the possibility of neutral site regular season games in one of those cities provided that a suitable stadium is available. The city of Moncton already has a track and field stadium in the works which could potentially host a game in the near future.

"I do believe there are opportunities to expand our reach into those markets," said Cohon. "That (facility) has the ability to expand up to 20,000 (seats), so we are looking at an opportunity in 2010."

MonctonRad
Nov 22, 2008, 3:01 AM
The commissioner addressed questions regarding new exposure into markets like Quebec City, Moncton and Halifax, with the possibility of neutral site regular season games in one of those cities provided that a suitable stadium is available. The city of Moncton already has a track and field stadium in the works which could potentially host a game in the near future.

"I do believe there are opportunities to expand our reach into those markets," said Cohon. "That (facility) has the ability to expand up to 20,000 (seats), so we are looking at an opportunity in 2010."

Well, that explains it.......it would be a neutral site home game which means that it would be an "away" game for both teams, therefore it would not affect the home teams gate revenue. Under those conditions, I can see why they could consider having a regular season CFL game in Moncton. :D

gehrhardt
Nov 22, 2008, 1:30 PM
Since I'm in a bit of a scanning mood, here's an image of the new strip mall going next to NBCC Moncton. It's from an ad in the T&T that says retail for lease:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/3050295402_966869d271.jpg

mmmatt
Nov 22, 2008, 9:13 PM
Lith Lawtons and Ed's Sub opening across the street recently, this strip opening soon, and the church next door scheduled to re-open soon this little spot on Mountain is getting a nice "shot in the arm" :)

mmmatt
Nov 22, 2008, 9:23 PM
NBCC Dieppe gets workshop

Improvements to address need for more tradespeople to fill manpower gaps

By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Saturday November 22nd, 2008

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=213172&size=265x0
Donald Arsenault, Minister of Post-Secondary Education, training, and Labour NB, watches as Guy Gauvin of Dieppe solders copper pipe at the NBCC Dieppe campus.

A new $2 million multi-purpose workshop at the Dieppe campus of the New Brunswick Community College will go a long way to filling the need for highly trained tradespeople in New Brunswick, says Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour Minister Donald Arseneault.

"This is another example of our commitment to building the best post-secondary education system in Canada and the importance of the community colleges in helping us achieve our goal," Arseneault said as the new workshop, in use since September, was officially opened yesterday.

The 937-square-metre (10,000 square feet) addition consists of two new classrooms and two new adjacent shop areas for training in carpentry and plumbing.

Previously, some classes had to be held off-campus due to a lack of space. Now, Arseneault said, the classes and the workshops are on campus, serving students and apprentices as well.

Arseneault is actually a graduate of NBCC Dieppe (Marketing, Class of 1998) and took advantage of the official opening to tour the facility, talk to students and listen to instructors and staff.

Principal Claude Allard told him to expect requests for more expansions so the campus can be used to its full potential, churning out qualified tradespeople and other highly trained professionals.

"We should start planning for our next expansion today," Allard told a gathering of students, staff and local officials.

"This is an historic moment for NBCC Dieppe, and I hope it's only one of several more to come."

The campus opened in 1981 in various locations and moved into their modern facilities just off Champlain Street in 1987. It now caters to more than 700 students.

Arseneault said this latest expansion was necessary to accommodate the growing number of students and to meet the needs of industry, which forecasts a shortage of top tradespeople in the near future.

Arseneault moved from the Department of Natural Resources to his new department only last week and is still getting his feet wet. In that short time, there's been vocal complaints from students at NBCC Moncton about a leaky roof that has closed some offices and classrooms and has compelled staff to put buckets in hallways to catch drips during wet weather, a world-wide financial crisis that is badly crimping university endowment and pension funds and an anticipated skills shortage, to name a few.

While the minister couldn't offer a date when the Moncton campus' roof would be fixed any more than he could solve all of the department's challenges in one week on the job, Arseneault said he has been in touch with the leadership at all post-secondary institutions in the province so far to get a sense of their priorities.

- The moncton area has both the largest English NBCC and (as far as I know) French NBCC (CCNB)

- The roof issue at the NBCC on mountain is serious...and affected me personally haha...my class was on the third floor and we had to be moved around and now we are split between three classes at oposite ends of the school haha. The roof leaks like crazy...we actually had a FULL garbage can of water in our room that was filled in 2 weeks from water leaking through the roof.

JasonL-Moncton
Nov 24, 2008, 1:42 PM
Still think the courthouse design is 'ugly'...really think this is a missed opportunity.

Great news about the CFL...awesome opportunity.

Damn snow!

JL

mmmatt
Nov 24, 2008, 7:47 PM
Black and Whites for the page

C. late 1800s. This was right downtown...
http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/M930.50.1.338.jpg

Where Tims is downtown...I guess the top part was removed at some point, a shame
http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/v11548.jpg

C. 1915 "St Marys School" (now Castle Manor). Looks like its out in the country haha.
http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/v8237.jpg

All images from McCord Museum of Canadian History

MonctonRad
Nov 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
Glad to see you taking an interest in the architectural history of Moncton Matt. So much of what was so important in this city is now gone that it does make you think.

It is wise to preserve the best of the past while not stifling the future growth and development of the city. This can be a very fine balance and it can be very difficult to follow this very narrow path. Luckily here in Moncton, we have a lot of land ripe for development along Assumption and Vaughn Harvey which will not affect our remaining architectural heritage downtown.

MonctonRad
Nov 25, 2008, 2:24 AM
Since it's a slow news day, I'll take a page from Matt and post a few more historical images of Moncton taken from the McCord Museum collection.

http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/MP-0000.624.12.jpg

This photo is c.1910. It shows Main Street looking east. For orientation, you can see the old Times/Transcript Building to the right and the Creaghan's (Dooley's then NuBody's) Building to the left.

http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/MP-0000.624.13.jpg

This is the companion photo looking west (also c.1910). For orientation, notice the Higgins Block to your right. This is now Mexicali Rosa's. It's a shame that this building is now going to seed on the upper floors.

http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/MP-0000.624.16.jpg

Again, from the same collection; this is the Hotel Minto on Main Street. This building is long since gone but it looks like it was on the south side of the street. I believe that the stone building on the left of the photo is likely the CCL Corporate Communications Building.

mmmatt
Nov 25, 2008, 3:04 AM
^ Cool stuff. :)

A shame some of these buildings are gone now. And why the heck did Cyr (or whoever) put that ugly vinyl or metal siding on the former Doolys HQ???

We should tear that crap off there...Id much rather the stone.

MonctonRad
Nov 25, 2008, 3:11 AM
^ Cool stuff. :)

A shame some of these buildings are gone now. And why the heck did Cyr (or whoever) put that ugly vinyl or metal siding on the former Doolys HQ???

We should tear that crap off there...Id much rather the stone.

I agree, the original stone would be much better.

mylesmalley
Nov 25, 2008, 6:33 PM
Just had to say, Bill Clinton was EXCELLENT. Huge turnout, and very insightful.

C_Boy
Nov 25, 2008, 6:48 PM
http://eich.wsg.mcgill.ca/largeimages/MP-0000.624.12.jpg

This photo is c.1910. It shows Main Street looking east. For orientation, you can see the old Times/Transcript Building to the right and the Creaghan's (Dooley's then NuBody's) Building to the left.

Wow I didn't know that building was nice stone like that :stunned: . I allways found it had a western look it, hence the "wood". Stone would get rid of that look for sure.

MonctonRad
Nov 25, 2008, 7:30 PM
Just had to say, Bill Clinton was EXCELLENT. Huge turnout, and very insightful.

So, what did Bill have to say, should I buy or sell.......I don't want to tell you how much money I've lost in the last three months. :slob:

mylesmalley
Nov 25, 2008, 7:37 PM
So, what did Bill have to say, should I buy or sell.......I don't want to tell you how much money I've lost in the last three months. :slob:

Technically, you'll only lose when you sell. Assuming you're talking about the stock market. He's quite optimistic about Obama, but things times will be tough for the next year or two.

Also, very concerned about the big 3 auto makers.

MonctonRad
Nov 25, 2008, 7:59 PM
Also, very concerned about the big 3 auto makers.

Well, with the GM and Chrysler parts warehouses on St. George Blvd. already closed, I guess we don't have to worry (just kidding).

MonctonRad
Nov 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Driving home today after work, I listened to an article on news 91.9 radio stating that passenger business at the Greater Moncton International Airport was up by about 12% compared to last year.

I know that passenger numbers last year were in the vicinity of 520,000. If so, that would mean that passenger numbers this year would be roughly 585,000. This would be the best year at the airport ever! This is pretty good given the current economic climate.

Factors causing the increase include increased capacity on the Air Canada Moncton-Toronto flights, a new Moncton-Ottawa route, an extra WestJet flight to Toronto every day and Continental Airlines expanding their route to New York City to being a year round operation.

:tup:

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 2:47 AM
^ Sweet! Good to hear we are back on track! :D

I cant wait til the numbers are released (most likely late Jan/early Feb)

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 2:50 AM
Bill Clinton thrills audience with speech at Moncton Coliseum

November 25, 2008 - 3:34 pm
By: Rebecca Davis, News 91.9 Staff

http://www.news919.com/ClintonMcKenna08.JPG

MONCTON, NB-Former US President, Bill Clinton, delighted an almost sold out audience at the Moncton Coliseum today with a speech on a number of issues, but especially the economy.

Clinton told people to be optimistic when it comes to the economic crisis, and that he doesn't expect it to last more than a year, and at the very most three.

Everybody in attendance seemed to really enjoy the former US President's speech, and some people told us, he gave them more hope.

However, Clinton did say, if the auto industry doesn't get some help soon, he fears General Motors may not make it to President Elect Barack Obama's inauguration on January 20th.

Meanwhile, Clinton said he couldn't answer, when asked by former New Brunswick Premier, Frank McKenna, if his wife, Hillary Clinton, will be the next US Secretary of State, but he did say she's very touched to be considered.

- Glad to hear it was a good show, if I wasnt so flippin broke I would have gone :(...rough news about GM though, I knew they were in bad shape but I didnt think it was THAT bad.

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 2:55 AM
Traffic Growth Robust at the Greater Moncton International Airport

11/25/2008
Greater Moncton International Airport Authority

Despite a recent downturn in air travel worldwide, Maritimers are still travelling in great numbers through the Greater Moncton International Airport (GMIA). In fact, ending in October, a record 498,510 travellers used the GMIA, a 12.1% increase from the same period in 2007. In October alone, traffic expanded by 7.8% compared with the same month in 2007.

We are expecting to end the year with positive growth over 2007. This tremendous increase is due to the success to our airline partners. Indeed, Air Canada and WestJet enhanced their summer services to major Canadian centres and Continental recently announced that their daily service to New-York (Newark) will continue year-round.

“Our robust growth is in line with the prosperity that the Greater Moncton area is continuing to enjoy”, states Rob Robichaud, President and CEO, of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority. “Our air service development objectives aim to increase services and offer the best travel options to link our community to the world.”

A recent Economic Impact Study revealed that the Greater Moncton International Airport injects over $378 million annually in revenue in the local, regional and provincial economy and is responsible for the employment of over 1,500 people in the region, while contributing $13 million annually in fiscal obligations, making it one of the region’s foremost employers.

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 3:03 AM
The passenger numbers recently:

2006: 558,513 (all time high)
2007: 518,930 (down due to loss of CanJet etc)

2008: 498,510 (up to October) thats 49,851 per month. As long as we can get over 30,000 per month for November and December, we will beat the 2006 record.

MonctonRad
Nov 26, 2008, 4:55 PM
Riverfront Park

Moncton's link to things that matter
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=212844&size=0x400

While thousands of people visit at least some part of it each week, it still sometimes seems as if Moncton's Riverfront Park is the forgotten green space in the city.

That may be because of its unusual shape. It is more than five kilometres long, but in a couple spots only 30 or 40 metres wide. Or it may because it lacks an obvious main entrance.

When you pull off St. George Boulevard to enter Centennial Park, there's no mistaking that fact. With the Riverfront Park, there are dozens of possible places where you might slip from the ruck of an urban streetscape and suddenly find yourself in a world where nature sets the rhythm.

And nature here has a particular rhythm like few other places on earth, thanks to a river that flows both ways.

The Petitcodiac River, with its tidal bore and distinctive chocolate brown waters, is of course the star attraction of Riverfront Park, though some would argue the park's real attraction is the walking and running trails it offers in the heart of downtown.

That it boasts twin appeals is not so surprising. The Riverfront Park at its base is about the links it offers between things that matter.

It connects the city with the river it had once turned its back on, linking Moncton's business centre with the lands where the community had its shipbuilding beginnings. It links the city's east and west ends and it will one day be linked to all of Moncton's other neighbourhoods through the Millennium Trail network. It links Moncton's riverfront with the riverfront trails of its neighbouring communities of Dieppe and Riverview and in the much larger scale, it links Moncton with the rest of the nation, as it is part of the Trans Canada Trail.

Not that the pheasants care about any of that. Nevertheless, there may be no one who enjoys Riverfront Park as much as the pheasants who have made it their home in numbers that have absolutely surged since the park started in 1995. Where once there were shipyards and wharves, marsh grass has returned, and with it the beautiful ring-tails who are the frequent surprise delights of most journeys along the trail. Roused from the grass by your approaching footsteps, the pheasants will take to the air and your heart will soar with them at the beautiful sight. That's of course assuming your heart hasn't been stopped by the surprise.

"They're everywhere down there!" Colin James raved as he recalled a morning jog to an audience at the Capitol Theatre last year. The internationally renowned Vancouver-based musician spends hundreds of days a year on the road in cities around the world. And what stood out in his mind about Moncton was running the Riverfront Trail in the morning with the sun rising over the bend in the river that gave the city its first name and watching nine pheasants (he kept count) take flight at different spots along his route. Their breathtaking beauty was apparently colourful enough to banish the blues even of a devoted bluesman.

James also told his audience how lucky they were to have such a lengthy, uncrowded trail so handy to everything and how the waving marsh grasses are beautiful and the muddy river is "really cool."

Well said, Mr. James.

New Brunswick Premier Shawn Graham would agree. When Graham, who ran track as a student, hosted Canada's premiers in 2007, he started the first full day of meetings by taking a few of Canada's hardier first ministers for a pre-dawn jog in the fog.

The park is indeed a paradise for those looking to get out and get moving. Twinned tailings offer both paved paths, ideal for wheelchairs, bicycles, and in-line skates, and a softer dirt surface for walkers and runners.

And because the river valley is so flat, there are no steep slopes to dissuade those who aren't quite as ultra-fit as the great migratory herds of joggers who set out from The Running Room and take to the trail at just about any time of the day, just about any day of the year. As of last year, portions of the trail are now cleared for winter running.

The park also represents a wonderful reclamation of once under-used former industrial lands, not to mention the way its western end has helped redeem the former regional landfill site. But Riverfront Park is not just about getting a bit of nature in the heart of the city.

It has increasingly become a community gathering place. Long the band of public space that gives thousands of people a vantage point to watch the annual Canada Day fireworks, Riverfront Park also provided the perfect venue for two free air shows over the Petitcodiac River last year.

With its beautiful floral displays, benches, and monuments and

other points of interest along the trail like Bore View Park, Settlers Green, the Skateboard Park, Hal Betts Commemorative Sportsplex, and the Treitz Haus, Riverfront Park can also just be a place to go sit and relax or to go play or to go learn about the community that built it.

Rod Higgins, assistant general manager of the City of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department, sees Riverfront Park becoming more of a gathering place in the future.

"We think it's one of the most important creative and cultural zones within the city," Higgins said. "We want to enhance that."

Saying it can be a catalyst for linking the downtown business life with park life, Higgins said the city wants to add some more boardwalk over a marshy part to the east of Bore Park, adjacent to the boardwalk that now stretches from The Running Room to Chateau Moncton at Halls Creek. The city would also like to see that section become a place where sidewalk vendors can ply their trade and people can come to mingle the way they do at the Moncton Market.

Also in the works is the creation of one of the city's event zones, where things like stages and bleachers and trash cans can be quickly deployed for the holding of community events.

Riverfront Park has, since its inception in the mid-1990s, played a key role in Moncton's citizens rediscovering the river that gave birth to their community. With each passing year, interest in the park and the numbers of people using it have grown substantially. With restoration of the Petitcodiac River now begun and development downtown finally headed toward the riverfront again, the value of Riverfront Park seems destined to become something everyone can one day appreciate.

MonctonRad
Nov 26, 2008, 5:09 PM
Regarding the above article about Riverfront Park, I have included a link connecting to a .pdf file concerning the Moncton Waterfront Boardwalk Development. They alluded to this in the article above, but the plans are to extend the boardwalk to the west, behind the Roger's Communications headquarters building, essentially connecting Bore View Park with the Riverfront Park proper.

the link is: http://lin.ca/Files/9226/Gordon%20Kraushaar%20-%20Moncton%20Riverfront%20Walkway.pdf

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 5:12 PM
Airport to see most passengers ever in '08

All N.B. airports expect more passengers this year, despite global downturn in air travel

A11BY NICK MOORE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
Published Wednesday November 26th, 2008

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Monctonairport.jpg

The Greater Moncton International Airport is in a figurative bubble that not even a global downturn in air travel can easily pop.

That's what Rob Robichaud, president and CEO of the GMIA, figures when he looks at numbers showing an increase in total airport passengers this year over 2007 numbers. It's an increase seen at a time when many travellers across North America are expected to be flying less in the near future.

From January to October this year, the airport has seen a total of 498,510 passengers. Robichaud said that puts the airport on track to see its best numbers yet, even more than 2006 numbers (the previous best year recorded) when about 558,000 passengers travelled through.

"This will be a record year," said Robichaud. "We're on target to break all our previous records."

"We're hoping to hit somewhere in between the 565,000 or 570,000 mark."

While the economy in Metro Moncton is staying strong in the midst of a major North American recession, Robichaud is staying positive.

"We're selling our centrality," he said. "We have the largest catchment area of any airport in Atlantic Canada. Within a two-hour drive, we have approximately 1-1.2 million potential passengers. That's why I say it makes sense to put your business in Moncton."

Throughout the last 11 years, Robichaud said the airport has grown in passenger numbers by about 135 per cent.

Aside from location, Robichaud said the airport's partner airlines are seeing consistent passenger numbers, which both the airport authority and airlines are encouraged by.

"As Air Canada and WestJet put more services in, we're filling the airplanes," he said. "I think when you put service in the most central location and make it efficient, cost effective and convenient for the customer, you're going to see the positive results."

In September, the airport announced daily flights from Metro Moncton to Newark International Airport in New Jersey (26 kilometres or 16 miles from midtown Manhattan in New York City) would continue year-round, a signal of confidence said Robichaud.

But its passenger numbers going to and from the GMIA and Halifax's Stanfield International Airport (where there are several more connecting flights domestically and internationally) that Robichaud said he'd be keeping an close eye on, hoping for growth. Where many people from this area drive their vehicles to the Halifax airport to board connecting flights, Robichaud said news last week of vehicles being stranded on Nova Scotia's Cobequid Pass during a snow storm might leave people thinking twice before making the drive this winter.

"We are expecting that people won't be taking a chance of driving their families down to Halifax this winter just to save a few dollars," he said. "There's value in flying out of Moncton and it isn't always in dollars."

While passenger numbers at the Moncton airport are expected to grow to record levels, statistics from New Brunswick's two other major airports are also forecasting an increase over last year.

The Fredericton International Airport is expecting to see a gain in passenger levels over last year. From January to October, there were about 228,000 passengers who passed through the capital city airport, versus about 225,000 passengers during the same period last year. In Saint John, has seen just shy of 214,000 passengers this year, compared to 208,500 last year.

- :D

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 5:23 PM
Regarding the above article about Riverfront Park, I have included a link connecting to a .pdf file concerning the Moncton Waterfront Boardwalk Development. They alluded to this in the article above, but the plans are to extend the boardwalk to the west, behind the Roger's Communications headquarters building, essentially connecting Bore View Park with the Riverfront Park proper.

the link is: http://lin.ca/Files/9226/Gordon%20Kraushaar%20-%20Moncton%20Riverfront%20Walkway.pdf

Awesome!

On page 20 they have the plan for 2009/2010, it looks really nice...right now that section of the trail is the ugliest due to going through a parking lot etc. Good to see a plan to fix it up, new bridge and everything :)

JasonL-Moncton
Nov 26, 2008, 6:15 PM
What I'd really like to see appear along these walk ways is little shops and pubs and such that you could veer off and sit on a patio of a little pub and pass the afternoon away.

I've always envisioned that, kind of like the downtown waterfront in Hfx, or SJ...

Jason

mylesmalley
Nov 26, 2008, 6:31 PM
Riverfront Park

Moncton's link to things that matter
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=212844&size=0x400

While thousands of people visit at least some part of it each week, it still sometimes seems as if Moncton's Riverfront Park is the forgotten green space in the city.

That may be because of its unusual shape. It is more than five kilometres long, but in a couple spots only 30 or 40 metres wide. Or it may because it lacks an obvious main entrance.

When you pull off St. George Boulevard to enter Centennial Park, there's no mistaking that fact. With the Riverfront Park, there are dozens of possible places where you might slip from the ruck of an urban streetscape and suddenly find yourself in a world where nature sets the rhythm.

And nature here has a particular rhythm like few other places on earth, thanks to a river that flows both ways.

The Petitcodiac River, with its tidal bore and distinctive chocolate brown waters, is of course the star attraction of Riverfront Park, though some would argue the park's real attraction is the walking and running trails it offers in the heart of downtown.

That it boasts twin appeals is not so surprising. The Riverfront Park at its base is about the links it offers between things that matter.

It connects the city with the river it had once turned its back on, linking Moncton's business centre with the lands where the community had its shipbuilding beginnings. It links the city's east and west ends and it will one day be linked to all of Moncton's other neighbourhoods through the Millennium Trail network. It links Moncton's riverfront with the riverfront trails of its neighbouring communities of Dieppe and Riverview and in the much larger scale, it links Moncton with the rest of the nation, as it is part of the Trans Canada Trail.

Not that the pheasants care about any of that. Nevertheless, there may be no one who enjoys Riverfront Park as much as the pheasants who have made it their home in numbers that have absolutely surged since the park started in 1995. Where once there were shipyards and wharves, marsh grass has returned, and with it the beautiful ring-tails who are the frequent surprise delights of most journeys along the trail. Roused from the grass by your approaching footsteps, the pheasants will take to the air and your heart will soar with them at the beautiful sight. That's of course assuming your heart hasn't been stopped by the surprise.

"They're everywhere down there!" Colin James raved as he recalled a morning jog to an audience at the Capitol Theatre last year. The internationally renowned Vancouver-based musician spends hundreds of days a year on the road in cities around the world. And what stood out in his mind about Moncton was running the Riverfront Trail in the morning with the sun rising over the bend in the river that gave the city its first name and watching nine pheasants (he kept count) take flight at different spots along his route. Their breathtaking beauty was apparently colourful enough to banish the blues even of a devoted bluesman.

James also told his audience how lucky they were to have such a lengthy, uncrowded trail so handy to everything and how the waving marsh grasses are beautiful and the muddy river is "really cool."

Well said, Mr. James.

New Brunswick Premier Shawn Graham would agree. When Graham, who ran track as a student, hosted Canada's premiers in 2007, he started the first full day of meetings by taking a few of Canada's hardier first ministers for a pre-dawn jog in the fog.

The park is indeed a paradise for those looking to get out and get moving. Twinned tailings offer both paved paths, ideal for wheelchairs, bicycles, and in-line skates, and a softer dirt surface for walkers and runners.

And because the river valley is so flat, there are no steep slopes to dissuade those who aren't quite as ultra-fit as the great migratory herds of joggers who set out from The Running Room and take to the trail at just about any time of the day, just about any day of the year. As of last year, portions of the trail are now cleared for winter running.

The park also represents a wonderful reclamation of once under-used former industrial lands, not to mention the way its western end has helped redeem the former regional landfill site. But Riverfront Park is not just about getting a bit of nature in the heart of the city.

It has increasingly become a community gathering place. Long the band of public space that gives thousands of people a vantage point to watch the annual Canada Day fireworks, Riverfront Park also provided the perfect venue for two free air shows over the Petitcodiac River last year.

With its beautiful floral displays, benches, and monuments and

other points of interest along the trail like Bore View Park, Settlers Green, the Skateboard Park, Hal Betts Commemorative Sportsplex, and the Treitz Haus, Riverfront Park can also just be a place to go sit and relax or to go play or to go learn about the community that built it.

Rod Higgins, assistant general manager of the City of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department, sees Riverfront Park becoming more of a gathering place in the future.

"We think it's one of the most important creative and cultural zones within the city," Higgins said. "We want to enhance that."

Saying it can be a catalyst for linking the downtown business life with park life, Higgins said the city wants to add some more boardwalk over a marshy part to the east of Bore Park, adjacent to the boardwalk that now stretches from The Running Room to Chateau Moncton at Halls Creek. The city would also like to see that section become a place where sidewalk vendors can ply their trade and people can come to mingle the way they do at the Moncton Market.

Also in the works is the creation of one of the city's event zones, where things like stages and bleachers and trash cans can be quickly deployed for the holding of community events.

Riverfront Park has, since its inception in the mid-1990s, played a key role in Moncton's citizens rediscovering the river that gave birth to their community. With each passing year, interest in the park and the numbers of people using it have grown substantially. With restoration of the Petitcodiac River now begun and development downtown finally headed toward the riverfront again, the value of Riverfront Park seems destined to become something everyone can one day appreciate.

That has to be the most sentimental and sappy thing I've ever read! I do like the park though, especially in the summer. It's a great place to go biking. However, while I agree it's very nice between the Chateau Moncton and Vaughan Harvey, it's hands down the ugliest park beyond that. There are hardly any trees, and you can occasionally still smell the dump when it's really hot out.

I like that idea, JasonL. Especially along the boardwalk, there are quite a few places where riverfront cafes could be created. They probably wouldn't make enough money on their own, but there are a few restaurants that back onto the river that could probably easily have patios added in back.

JasonL-Moncton
Nov 26, 2008, 6:48 PM
I like that idea, JasonL. Especially along the boardwalk, there are quite a few places where riverfront cafes could be created. They probably wouldn't make enough money on their own, but there are a few restaurants that back onto the river that could probably easily have patios added in back.

They would if there were enough of them...think if you had a tea/coffee cafe down there, with a little pub or two, and an intimate restaurant, a touristy clothing store selling 'river' paraphenalia, maybe a small dock that offered river tours when the tide was high...the possibilities are endless.

Jason

mylesmalley
Nov 26, 2008, 7:36 PM
They would if there were enough of them...think if you had a tea/coffee cafe down there, with a little pub or two, and an intimate restaurant, a touristy clothing store selling 'river' paraphenalia, maybe a small dock that offered river tours when the tide was high...the possibilities are endless.

Jason

There was/is a place in charlottetown that sold PEI mud-stained clothing. Everything had that brown-red colour of all the soil over there. Maybe that's something that could work here :jester: . You could sell chocolate milk for 5$ a bottle if you call it 'Petitcodiac Punch'.

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 7:54 PM
There was/is a place in charlottetown that sold PEI mud-stained clothing. Everything had that brown-red colour of all the soil over there. Maybe that's something that could work here :jester: . You could sell chocolate milk for 5$ a bottle if you call it 'Petitcodiac Punch'.

hahaha...wow, not a bad idea though for a touristy thing.

Maybe once the gates are open we will see investment like this start up.

mmmatt
Nov 26, 2008, 9:13 PM
For lazy people like me who dont bother with pdfs etc:

Here is the plan for the riverfront for 2009-2010

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/Wikipedia%20stuff/riverfront.jpg

I like the idea of the green spaces between existing buildings and the boardwalk, tidy the area up a lot. also by putting the boardwalk right up against the river you take it off Rogers parking lot etc.

Wishblade
Nov 26, 2008, 11:31 PM
Since theres been talk here about airport passenger numbers, I found this chart showing passenger growth at Canada's busiest airports. You can compare Moncton's numbers to it.

http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/canadian-airport-growth.png

and the link its from...

http://www.anna.aero/2008/10/10/ottawa-becomes-fastest-growing-canadian-airport-in-2008/

MonctonRad
Nov 27, 2008, 12:07 AM
Since theres been talk here about airport passenger numbers, I found this chart showing passenger growth at Canada's busiest airports. You can compare Moncton's numbers to it.

http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/canadian-airport-growth.png

and the link its from...

http://www.anna.aero/2008/10/10/ottawa-becomes-fastest-growing-canadian-airport-in-2008/

Kelowna Airport is one of the busiest airports in Canada!?!?!!!

Our YTD growth is up by 12.1% from last year. Comparing to your graph, that would appear to be higher than anyone else.

It looks like Halifax is doing pretty well too though.

I think it just goes to show that the Maritime airports have historically been underserviced. All you have to do is actually start flying the routes and people will start using them. I imagine there is still room for future growth. I personally would like to see more direct trans-border routes.

There has been some talk of increasing the frequency of the Continental Moncton-New York flights to twice daily. I'd also like to see a direct Moncton-Boston route and I wouldn't be surprised if a Moncton-Orlando route might be viable too (in the wintertime).

mmmatt
Nov 27, 2008, 12:13 AM

Our YTD growth is up by 12.1% from last year. Comparing to your graph, that would appear to be higher than anyone else.

It looks like Halifax is doing pretty well too though.

I think it just goes to show that the Maritime airports have historically been underserviced. All you have to do is actually start flying the routes and people will start using them. I imagine there is still room for future growth. I personally would like to see more direct trans-border routes.

There has been some talk of increasing the frequency of the Continental Moncton-New York flights to twice daily. I'd also like to see a direct Moncton-Boston route and I wouldn't be surprised if a Moncton-Orlando route might be viable too (in the wintertime).

Yeah after Freddy lost the boston flight that only leaves Moncton with a regular trans-border flight...I think a daily Moncton-Boston would do well, they could try it in lower frequency like they did with the New York one for a while and see if it "takes off" :P.

MonctonRad
Nov 27, 2008, 12:52 AM
That has to be the most sentimental and sappy thing I've ever read! I do like the park though, especially in the summer. It's a great place to go biking. However, while I agree it's very nice between the Chateau Moncton and Vaughan Harvey, it's hands down the ugliest park beyond that. There are hardly any trees, and you can occasionally still smell the dump when it's really hot out.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Yet again we are left dealing with unrestrained T&T boosterism. :haha:

Still, the main part of the Riverfront Park, from Hall's Creek west as far as the old landfill is quite well done. The bridge across Halls Creek, connecting the Moncton riverfront park to the Dieppe trail system is a really nice addition to the riverfront.

The last piece of the boardwalk that they are planning to build for 2009/2010 should complete the riverfront trail quite nicely. In particular, the "olde town square" next to Bore View Park is intriguing.

The old landfill remains a problem. The trails they have put through this area are fine for bikers and joggers, but the city will have to think of something more definitive for this site in the near future. I know that we have discussed in this thread before about the possibility of turning this area into an "urban forest". This is likely the most cost efficient option. When Assumption Boulevard gets extended westward towards the causeway, this could become a riverfront parkway.

Wishblade
Nov 27, 2008, 1:10 AM

Yep, it handled nearly 1.4 million passengers in 2007. Its at the bottom of the list, but its there.

mmmatt
Nov 27, 2008, 1:46 AM
Champlain Renovation

Some pics from Champlain Place website...hopefully Ill get in there soon and take some more...

Sitting area by Sears

http://www.champlainplace.ca/rtecontent/image/webimgae.jpg

New Entrances
http://www.champlainplace.ca/rtecontent/image/webimageENT.jpg

Food Court
http://www.champlainplace.ca/rtecontent/image/renoafteFC.jpg

riverviewer
Nov 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
New Justice Center to be 30 % aluminum according to T&T this morning. I hope they don't put silver panels on a brown-stone building.

mmmatt
Nov 27, 2008, 6:19 PM
Planning commission denies, then approves, siding use

Variance requested to use greater percentage of siding in downtown
courthouse than Development Vision allows

By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff
Published Thursday November 27th, 2008

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=215265
This is the final design for the Moncton justice centre. It features a five-storey glass atrium at the apex of its two wings, which replaces a circular feature prominent in earlier designs.

It was a clash of old and new ideas, with an outcome that was clearly unforeseen.

The proposed architectural design for downtown Moncton's new five-storey justice centre which incorporates what is arguably "non-traditional" building material was debated at length last night before the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission.

While the design of the $48-million building by architect Michel Gallant was never in question, use of composite aluminum panels over as much as 45 per cent of the building's Westmorland Street facade and 15 per cent of the Assomption Boulevard face proved a conundrum for commissioners.

The project was before the commission seeking variances on setbacks and on the total percentage of composite aluminum panels on the two facades.

At one end, commissioners supported the City of Moncton's Downtown Development Vision which placed great emphasis on a harmonious and cohesive development including limiting use of some new construction materials for the buildings exteriors. The city said no more than 10 per cent of a building's facade should have non-traditional material, for example metal siding and plastics.

Gallant, the architect, argued that the composite aluminum panels are a far cry from ordinary aluminum or siding, are lighter, stronger and expected to require far less maintenance than the traditional materials like sandstone and brick. Plus it adds a breath of fresh air, a splash of modern design in a traditional downtown core, he said.

Some commissioners tended to agree; others felt they were constrained by the city's vision statement.

Commissioner Michael Sullivan led the charge by stating the city spent $200,000 or more coming up with its Downtown Development Vision and that he couldn't see voting in favour of the proposed variance, certainly not to the extent of 40 to 45 per cent as proposed for the Westmorland Street facade.

He said he could "live" with a 13 per cent aluminum face, but not 40 per cent.

Others agreed including Commissioner Dale Briggs who warned that the city would be regressing by allowing the variance.

Briggs wanted to know if the aluminum would pit over the years and if it could last 50 years or more.

Gallant said that the product has been in use for 15 years now and is already used in the city, including on the Moncton YMCA building and The Moncton Hospital expansion. Commission chairman Ian R. Fowler reminded the gathering that neither building was in the downtown core.

The variance went to a vote with eight for and eight against. Fowler cast the deciding nay vote.

The other variances were eventually adopted including the issue of underground parking and the risk of flooding prompting Commissioner Lynn Murray to wonder about liability in the event of flooding.

The commission eventually opted to seek a guarantee from the province, which is building the justice centre, that neither the city nor commission be held liable for any damages.

Not satisfied with the vote on the aluminum panels, Sullivan put forward a motion to "reconsider" the nay vote, which passed and prompted further discussion, mainly to see if there could be some compromise as to how much aluminum could be used.

Commissioners agreed they were not qualified to determine how a building should be designed and what material to use and how much, asking instead that the architect limit the use of aluminum to perhaps 30 per cent.

The second vote to accept the original variance was adopted this time by a total of 11-6.

Gallant, himself a commission veteran, said after the meeting that the final decision on materials rest with his client, in this case, the province.

He said he believes in the city's vision but also believes in adding some variety rather than just rebuilding the old Moncton.

JasonL-Moncton
Nov 27, 2008, 7:36 PM
The city's 'vision'...sounds like a 'lack of vision' to me... :(

mylesmalley
Nov 27, 2008, 8:13 PM

15 percent is crazy. the expansion on the old Hawk building has at least 15% siding, and the silver and black building across the street has even more. both of which were built after the Vision plan was passed.

I completely understand why the city wants to stamp out vinyl. I hate the stuff, and it looks terribly tacky on tall buildings. But forbidding the use of anything other than wood and brick is crazy. What if someone wanted to build another building like the Bank of Montreal? Is tinted glass considered non-traditional?

David_99
Nov 27, 2008, 9:30 PM
15 percent is crazy. the expansion on the old Hawk building has at least 15% siding, and the silver and black building across the street has even more. both of which were built after the Vision plan was passed.

Is it just me or does the old Hawk building look tacky and unfinished? Could they not have just added similar brick to the expansion or put siding on the front of the building like across the street at LASIK? Which ever would be cheaper.

mylesmalley
Nov 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
Is it just me or does the old Hawk building look tacky and unfinished? Could they not have just added similar brick to the expansion or put siding on the front of the building like across the street at LASIK? Which ever would be cheaper.

That was a bad example. I'm not a big fan of it either. I guess a better one would be the old YMCA/Scotia McLeod building on Gordon St.

MonctonRad
Nov 27, 2008, 11:53 PM

I generally support the "downtown vision", assuming of course that sanity and wisdom ultimately prevails at the planning commission hearings.

I remember a couple of years ago when Fortis constructed the addition onto the Blue Cross Centre downtown. The original plans didn't make any architectural sense. The original building is of course a classic design made of red brick. The addition was going to be mundane and clad in siding. It would have been frankly quite ugly and a detriment to the complete downtown. The mayor, council and planning commission dug in their heels and forced Fortis to rethink their design and the new addition was build with attractive brick and stucco. This was a true victory for the city.

This doesn't mean that I think that all buildings downtown need to be clad in red brick. It's just that the downtown is the heart and soul of the community and should serve as the showcase for the city. As such, the council and the planning commission have every right to be picky about design proposals placed before them.

That all being said, the composite aluminum panelling that they are talking about here for the new courthouse doesn't really bother me. As it has already been mentioned, this panelling is already in use at the Ambulatory Care expansion at the Moncton Hospital and at the new YMCA. It makes for a nice contrast with the exterior brickwork on both those buildings.

:tup:

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 12:41 AM
I personally would be upset if it was a 100% red brick structure...we have enough of that already haha

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 2:52 AM
Colour for the Page

Clinton at the Coliseum
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/3058789247_4c13174f28.jpg?v=0
credit: Stephen Downes

Blue Cross
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/3054694394_d3f61144e4.jpg?v=0
credit: international diabetes federation on Flickr

Night
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/3057389497_5724e6c67b.jpg?v=0
credit:Brian Branch on flickr

mylesmalley
Nov 28, 2008, 4:46 AM
Colour for the Page
Night
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/3057389497_5724e6c67b.jpg?v=0
credit:Brian Branch on flickr

I don't recognize the building at the centre of this picture. Where/what is it?

MonctonRad
Nov 28, 2008, 4:49 AM
I don't recognize the building at the centre of this picture. Where/what is it?

I would say this picture was taken from the U de M campus and the building in the foreground would be the Gulf Fisheries Centre of the Federal Department of Fisheries & Oceans (across from the Dumont Hospital).

mylesmalley
Nov 28, 2008, 5:02 AM
I would say this picture was taken from the U de M campus and the building in the foreground would be the Gulf Fisheries Centre of the Federal Department of Fisheries & Oceans (across from the Dumont Hospital).

Ohh, I see what you mean. Thanks

I remember the controversy around the expansion to Blue Cross, and I think you're right about it. The city was absolutely right to fight for better. My problem with this courthouse thing is that, the city shouldn't be quite so rigid in its interpretation of the Vision plan. I'm afraid they might turn away something really striking and attractive if it doesn't conform to the traditional red brick look.

mylesmalley
Nov 28, 2008, 12:02 PM
Metro centre still on track
Published Friday November 28th, 2008

Moncton mayor says city's ambition makes it stand out; project should move forward as four-way partnership between governments, private-sector
A1
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Mayor George LeBlanc isn't shying away from his campaign pledges to pursue an economically sound multi-use metro centre for downtown and to accelerate green space development in the city.

And while the economic downturn in North America is becoming a convenient excuse for politicians everywhere to cower from every challenge and opportunity, LeBlanc says he wants to go ahead with the agenda he set when he ran for mayor.

He also hopes provincial and federal politicians were listening to a key message former U.S. President Bill Clinton delivered in Moncton this week.

In a meeting with the Times & Transcript's editorial board yesterday, LeBlanc said Moncton's ambition was part of what made it such a special place to live and now was not the time to abandon its goals and vision.

"We keep swinging above our weight class, and we have to do that. We have to show people we stand out, that we're a great place to live and getting better," he said.

Saying he, of course, needs council's support, LeBlanc says he still has the action plan he ran on in the top drawer of his desk and it's not collecting any dust.

On the completion of the city's Millennium Trail network, the mayor vowed to accelerate the progress in this mandate, rather than backing away from its expense. He also said the public can expect to see more money put toward it in the upcoming capital works budget.

But on the idea of a multi-purpose metro centre, the mayor was even more specific.

He wants the city to come up with a plan for which there is a sound business case and to that end he's not talking about just building an arena.

"I don't want just another Coliseum," he said, suggesting a new facility should include all aspects of what a community wants in its downtown. It would be a sports, entertainment, cultural complex with commercial and residential space to offset expenses.

"There are big capital costs and operating costs, but if we can put together a sound plan, we can do it."

That business plan took a step closer to being drawn up this week, as the deadline passed for consultants to respond to the city's request for proposals. Council will likely consider the proposals and award a contract to do the feasibility study at its mid-December meeting.

LeBlanc said he is hopeful a metro centre complex could be funded through a four-way partnership between three levels of government and the private sector.

Noting he was repeating something Bill Clinton said at the Moncton Coliseum Tuesday, LeBlanc said, "I think it's more important than ever for the federal and provincial governments to step up now," to help get economies going through infrastructure investments.

mylesmalley
Nov 28, 2008, 12:06 PM
N.B. retail sales climb 7%: StatsCan

Used and recreational motor vehicle and part sales, as well as gas station revenues a key factor in higher retail figures
A1
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

Despite the pessimistic views of the economy that have surfaced of late, New Brunswick retail sales for the month of September were ahead of where they were last year, according to a newly-released survey by Stats Canada.

"New Brunswick, for September, kind of recovered a bit from a decrease in August," said Claude Bilodeau, economist manager of Stats Canada's monthly retail trait survey.

New Brunswick's September 2008 retail sales represent a 7.4 per cent increase as compared to last year for the same time frame.

The province registered $835 million in retail sales in September, which represented a 0.8 per cent increase over August numbers. By comparison, New Brunswick retail grossed $828.6 million in August, $839.8 million in July and $818.8 million in June (all seasonally adjusted figures).

Retail sales in the country totaled $36.3 billion in September, up 1.1 per cent from August, which represented the strongest rise in sales in eight months.

Bilodeau says the province's 7.4 per cent increase has New Brunswick "well positioned" going forward.

"In the Maritimes, it's in the very strong average, only Newfoundland (11.4 per cent increase from previous year) seems to show a bigger increase from September to September," he said, adding that New Brunswick also compares favourably to the national average increase of 6.8 per cent, with Newfoundland, Quebec (8.9 per cent increase) and Saskatchewan (9.5 per cent increase) leading the way in terms of growth in the past year.

Bilodeau says the gain in New Brunswick comes in large part due to the continued emergence of the used and recreational vehicle and parts dealers trade group, which accounted for $176.3 million in sales in the third quarter of 2008 and has shown a 15.3 per cent increase in retail sales since last year. He also cites gasoline stations as a big contributor to increased retail sales in the province, with a 16.9 per cent third quarter increase over last year.

Chris Sawcett, sales manager at Moncton's MacDonald Pontiac, says they have noticed an increase in used car sales.

"Absolutely. Our used cars sales are extremely strong, very strong. We've always been a real strong used car store here anyway, but I would say that this past year has probably been a little stronger than usual. Our volume is up, specifically in the last couple of months, the volume is doing very well," he said.

Sawcett says he doesn't know what to attribute the province-wide increases to, but says it's likely a sign of the prosperity in retail hot-spots like Moncton.

"To put a real finger on it, I can't. The car business is a funny business," he said. "I think most of the car dealerships in Moncton are doing pretty well. I think the economy in Moncton and Atlantic Canada is good. We don't seem to have the ups and downs like out west, we just kind of stay steady here."

The survey says the increase in national sales by new car dealers ($6.13-billion in total sales for the month), which was the first such increase since January, was "largely responsible" for Canada's 1.1 per cent overall retail rise.

In New Brunswick, new car dealers saw a 13.5 per cent decrease in the third quarter of 2008, although it was following a 41.4 per cent increase in the second quarter of 2008. Compared to last year, new car dealers in the province registered a 1.6 per cent increase in retail sales.

Although the numbers show new car sales haven't been as strong in New Brunswick as other areas of the country, Fawcett says they've still experienced an increase in sales.

"Moncton is booming and obviously it helps everybody out. You can't go near Champlain Place mall right now, it's so busy and consumer spending is still really good in this city," he said. "People need cars, they are always going to need cars."

Eric Pelletier, manager of investment attraction and community relations with Enterprise Greater Moncton, says you can't look too far into one month's sales figures, but he was impressed by the long-term trends that were presented in the report.

"Our results comparable to Q3 last year are up, whereas in some of the rest of Canada, the retail sales have been slumping, especially in the third quarter. That's really interesting to see and I'll be extremely interested to see Q4," he said.

Pelletier says there could be a "lag" effect for Atlantic Canada to feel more of the effects of a downturning economy, but he also believes the region is well positioned to weather the storm.

"Especially New Brunswick and Atlantic Canada, we've done a lot of work to diversify our economy. We're not necessarily reliant on one or two areas of the economy, as opposed to other regions across Canada," he said. "If you look at the Greater Moncton region, it's definitely where we're a lot more diversified than any other regions in Atlantic Canada. I would say that would explain some of it."

Ian Munro, director of research with the Atlantic Institute of Market Studies, speculates that there are two ways to look at the province's increases.

"It could be that September is sort of an anomaly that will be a bright spot before a very dark period," he said. "Conversely, it could mean maybe that a lot of the doom and gloom predictions shouldn't be quite as doomy and gloomy because of the strength in consumer spending."

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 5:47 PM
^ Glad to hear the "metro center" is on track!...it will be more than a year Im sure before we hear anything of real interest regarding the project, like a price, a location or a render or anything like that. The sooner we get moving the better.

Really like the idea of having commercial space and residential space as well. Maybe we could do something like Freddy is doing with their convention center/ office tower....and make ours a stadium and attached office/ residential tower.

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 6:01 PM
Riverview needs new school: parents

Gunningsville School students can't host upcoming Christmas Concert at school this year because of overcrowding

By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=215719&size=500x0
The Gunningsville School in Riverview has six classrooms but 10 portable classrooms in the back of the school and they are still running out of space.

Parents of youngsters at Gunningsville School in Riverview now have another point they can use to punctuate to the provincial government how desperately the east end of the town needs a new elementary school.

The school can't host its own Christmas concert this year because there simply isn't enough room in the building, which is filled to the brim with students.

Instead, the Christmas Concert will be held on Dec. 8 at Riverview Middle School.

While it might only be a small inconvenience, parents in the area say its another example of how badly a new school is needed.

Portables outside the school outnumber its classrooms, 10 to six, and the school's lunchroom doubles as its gymnasium.

For the last few years, parents in the east end of the town, which includes Gunningsville, Point Park, Bridgedale, the old naval base area and several new developments, have been crying out for a new school to replace the aging, overcrowded structure.

School District 2's education council made a new school in the area a priority item on its request list sent to the Liberal government in September.

The Department of Education isn't saying if a new school is coming or not. The province is expected to unveil its capital budget for 2009 next month. A new school, if it is on the horizon, should be mentioned in the budget.

Lana Hansen has a daughter attending kindergarten at Gunningsville and another daughter who will enroll in the school next year.

She has been spearheading a parents group, Riverview Residents for a New East End School, which has written letters and submitted a petition to the province's Department of Education, pushing for a new facility.

She says moving this year's Christmas Concert might only be a minor inconvenience for the school and parents of the students, but for the students, it could create a "disconnect."

"My child is so connected to the school now, and so proud of where her classroom is . . . to her, it's her little world, and to go somewhere else I don't think will be quite the same," Hansen says.

"You know, I'm a grown-up, I'm fine, but I just think, for the kids, it would feel more special to them if they were in their own environment."

It's not only parents hoping a new school comes to town.

The Town of Riverview supports the idea for a new school so much that it has already gone ahead and offered land to the province for a new facility.

Town manager Dave Muir says the town has two options on the table that the province could take advantage of.

The first involves 300 acres of town-owned land near the dam behind the old naval base.

The province could use some of that land for a new school.

Currently, there is no proper road going back to the area, but Muir says there are plans to someday build one.

An alternative, and perhaps a more attractive option, involves a developer in Riverview.

Muir says Romeo Goguen, the developer behind Carriage Hill Estates, a growing subdivision just past Point Park heading toward Lower Coverdale, has offered to swap land he owns with the Town of Riverview so that the town could offer his land to the province.

That land is accessible off Old Coach Road, Muir says.

"We sent a letter to the province (outlining the options), but the province hasn't gotten back to us on it," Muir says.

The east end of Riverview has seen rapid residential growth in the last several years. A decade ago, the area past Point Park on the right side of Hillsborough Road heading east wasn't much more than a giant, empty field.

Now, the area is bustling with hundreds of new dwellings, several new streets and many more on the way. Muir says it's safe to say hundreds more homes, free-standing and semi-detached, will be built in the area over the next few years.

The need for a new school is only going to get worse as time goes on.

The District 2 education council named a new school in Riverview their number two priority in September, just behind refurbishments to Moncton High School, says Aubrey Kirkpatrick, the district's director of finance, administration and communication. If the K-8 school is indeed going to be built, he says the district would "consolidate" the populations of Gunningsville and Lower Coverdale schools into the new school.

"We've met with the parents of both of those schools, and they're supportive of getting a new school built, so from a community perspective, we have lots of support that way," he says.

Having it teach students through to Grade 8 would also alleviate pressures on Riverview Middle School.

Riverview's continued growth could one day put pressure on the town's high school as well.

Kirkpatrick admits that some grades in each of Riverview's elementary schools are filled to capacity, and Riverview High is currently making use of every one of it's available classrooms.

Department of Education representative Mansoreh Nasserchian said yesterday the government is aware of the requests from School District 2 and the priority in which the requests were made.

Nasserchian says no decisions will be announced until the government unveils its capital budget early next month.

Meanwhile, parents like Lana Hansen play the waiting game.

"I'm not concerned that my kids are going to get hurt the minute they walk in (Gunningsville School's) door," Hansen says. "I'm more concerned about what they may be missing out on, opportunities in the long run, if they don't have full gym facilities.

"Gunningsville does an awesome job of doing more with almost nothing. The environment is awesome, the teachers are awesome. We've had nothing but a great experience, but at the same time, there's no hiding the fact that the 'cafetorium' as they call it, the gym-slash-cafeteria . . . it doesn't even look like a gym. You can't have a basketball game in there . . . there's no real infrastructure for real sports or learning, and it's just something I want my kids to have access to."

Gunningsville principal Adam Rogerson would not comment on the school's current situation or its upcoming Christmas concert being moved to another school.

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 6:08 PM
Canada Wide Liquidators opens

Mountain Rd. business looks forward to future near proposed casino

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=215729&size=300x0
Canada Wide Liquidators manager Kaina Abderrahim shows off some of the products they have on hand.

A new business aims to be at the forefront of an economic surge in Moncton's northwest end when the new casino opens.

On Nov. 16, Canada Wide Liquidators at 1916 Mountain Rd. opened for business with a free barbecue, to which general manager Kaina Abderrahim estimated about 2,000 people showed up for.

"We had some great feedback from people in the area," he said, adding it was a positive start for the location.

Abderrahim said the company is excited about the business potential in that area with a casino development on the horizon. Right now, the location is the only centre opened under the Canada Wide Liquidators brand. The president of the company, Scott Phall, is based in Toronto.

"We chose New Brunswick because of the people," said Abderrahim. "They have a friendly stamp down here."

"The economy in Moncton is booming right now," he added. "There's a steady growth when it comes to the economy right here."

He also says it's possible the brand could grow out of this first Moncton location.

"Nothing is confirmed," said Abderrahim. "But we'll follow up on that in the near future."

The Moncton location's grand opening celebration will continue until Dec. 14. The liquidation centre will be open seven days a week, selling products acquired through overstock, business close-outs and bankruptcies.

"We sell sofas, bedroom sets, dining room tables, home décor, electronics and cameras," said Abderrahim. "We're going to do a rotation of our product line on a weekly basis, so every week there's basically something new coming in."

mmmatt
Nov 28, 2008, 6:36 PM
Bella Casa well underway...this can be seen coming down Wheeler towards the causeway now, and from many other angles. Helps to define Riverview's "skyline" a bit.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/stu_pendousmat/Wikipedia%20stuff/DSCN1834s.jpg?t=1227896925

Sorry for the cruddy quality, this is SUPER zoomed from a deck on the 3rd floor of my house haha.

MonctonRad
Nov 29, 2008, 2:59 AM
Metro centre still on track

Mayor George LeBlanc isn't shying away from his campaign pledges to pursue an economically sound multi-use metro centre for downtown and to accelerate green space development in the city.

He wants the city to come up with a plan for which there is a sound business case and to that end he's not talking about just building an arena.

"I don't want just another Coliseum," he said, suggesting a new facility should include all aspects of what a community wants in its downtown. It would be a sports, entertainment, cultural complex with commercial and residential space to offset expenses.

"There are big capital costs and operating costs, but if we can put together a sound plan, we can do it."

That business plan took a step closer to being drawn up this week, as the deadline passed for consultants to respond to the city's request for proposals. Council will likely consider the proposals and award a contract to do the feasibility study at its mid-December meeting.

LeBlanc said he is hopeful a metro centre complex could be funded through a four-way partnership between three levels of government and the private sector.

I'm glad Geoge Leblanc still has the "vision thing". The downtown still need the "one big project" to give it the momentum that will be self perpetuating. A multi-use development such as this with residential and commercial components as well as convention space and a sports arena I think would certainly do the trick. Hopefully he will be able to scare up the appropriate provincial and federal funding. It will be a long row to hoe but in the end, if he succeeds, it will make the downtown. :tup:

mmmatt
Nov 29, 2008, 3:06 PM
Passed by St. George st. today and there are now 2 less vacancies there. The former NB Liquor store has been sold as well as the former Chrystler Warehouse!

That will do a lot to reduce vacancy rate, I wonder who bought it?

MonctonRad
Nov 29, 2008, 3:39 PM
Passed by St. George st. today and there are now 2 less vacancies there. The former NB Liquor store has been sold as well as the former Chrystler Warehouse!

That will do a lot to reduce vacancy rate, I wonder who bought it?

It's in the "sleuth" today that a Moncton window manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) bought the Chrysler warehouse with the intent to move their operations there and make it their new headquarters. I presume this isn't Maritime Window & Door as they just rebuilt this year.

I don't know anything about the NBLC outlet but apparently there was an interested party some time ago, even before they moved their store to the new location on Vaughn Harvey. Does anyone have any ideas?

mmmatt
Nov 29, 2008, 3:44 PM
It's in the "sleuth" today that a Moncton window manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) bought the Chrysler warehouse with the intent to move their operations there and make it their new headquarters. I presume this isn't Maritime Window & Door as they just rebuilt this year.

I don't know anything about the NBLC outlet but apparently there was an interested party some time ago, even before they moved their store to the new location on Vaughn Harvey. Does anyone have any ideas?

Yeah I would assume its not Maritime as, like you said they just invested a lot of money into their current location...I think the next likely party is ALLSCO windows and doors who may be ready to "ride out" of their current location on rideout street in the Moncton Industrial Park :cool:

As far as the Liquor Store building I have no ideas, but I did see an excavator digging up the parking lot there recently.

MonctonRad
Nov 29, 2008, 3:56 PM
Magnetic hill zoo
Published Saturday November 29th, 2008
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

The Magnetic Hill Zoo may not seem at first like what most people think of as a traditional city park, but when you think about it, the zoo is indeed both a city owned outdoor space for the public's enjoyment, and it's just about as traditional as you can get, a place that's been a destination in one incarnation or another for families for half a century.

Not that anyone would recognize the zoo's former state in its current incarnation.

Certainly, the zoo has changed with the times. It opened in the very early 1950s as a ranger station with only orphaned and injured indigenous animals. In 1954, Muriel Sikorski wrote a petition to the government to move the rehabilitation compound to a spot directly opposite Magnetic Hill.

As local interest grew, the provincial government opened the site as a game farm for the public to observe the animals.

In those years, it was unusual for public reaction to seeing the game farm's animals as a mix of fascination with their beauty and regret at their living conditions.

Something needed to be done.

The City of Moncton purchased the farm in 1979 and slowly began transforming it into a modern zoo. New and exotic animals were acquired, but because staff knew little of the spatial requirements or the psychological needs of the animals, monies provided for animal habitat improvements were seldom used and facilities were rudimentary at best.

The real changes have been made since 1989, when Bruce Dougan was hired and the slow transformation of the game farm to a modern zoo began. More exotic species were added, animal habitats were improved and a more enlightened philosophy was put in place for education, conservation and research.

Today, with award-winning educational programs, partnerships with local schools and dedicated staff and volunteers, Dougan has had a consistent message in the past decade or more, that the zoo must be more than a recreational facility.

"Although we will always be looking for ways to improve animal habitats and bring in animals to enhance our zoo and make the visit more interesting for our visitors, our primary objectives as we move forward must be education, conservation and scientific study."

To that end, the Magnetic Hill Zoo is committed to safeguarding animal species and raising public awareness of endangered species. The zoo is designed with the well-being of the animals, as well as the safety of the public, in mind.

A member of the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums, Magnetic Hill Zoo houses more than 400 animals, including over 100 indigenous and exotic species. Birds, mammals, insects, reptiles, and fish find a comfortable and safe home in the 40-acre park.

The most recent animals to find an even more comfortable and safe home are Lee and Squeak.

The pair of cougars now reside in "Cougar Country," the zoo's newest exhibit, which was recently awarded the Environmental Enrichment Award by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums.

The new exhibit replaces a previous facility that had last been renovated in 1990. With a 3,200 square foot open-top enclosure conducive to the natural environment of the animal, the space is four times the size of the previous habitat. The ground is landscaped to provide a variety of terrain and has two large climbing features. The new layout also allows zoo patrons to see the cougars from a number of different angles and includes educational signage.

The recognition of Cougar Country is the third time the CAZA award has been presented to Magnetic Hill in the eight years of the award's existence. The zoo previously received the award for its ostrich and lion exhibits.

Dougan said the new exhibit is the end result of a year of "destruction and reconstruction," which was preceded by three years of fundraising by groups like Friends of the Zoo to go towards the nearly $250,000 project.

As Vern Stewart, president of Friends of the Zoo, said upon the win last month, "we're just a small little zoo from Moncton, which is becoming a big little zoo, which is really cool because it kind of brings awareness to what we're doing."

While it would be lovely if Moncton's City Council could wave a magic wand and find millions of dollars more to put into the facility, the efforts of the zoo itself and of a supportive community have resulted in continuous, annual improvements despite just $100,000 a year set aside for capital works.

There are also new shows and educational programs being added to the daily schedule each year, not to mention an ever growing ark of creatures great and small. Besides animals, the zoo offers special events like the annual Halloween Boo at the Zoo and everything from magicians to face painting offered at special times during the summer season.

While you can obviously go to the zoo to learn about animals and their habitats, it's also a place where you can just take a stroll through pleasant, treed surroundings with interesting things to see at every turn in the trail.

"With the paths all paved and benches all through the zoo, it's easy for walking and for strollers and people can sit down and rest if they want to," Dougan says.

While the zoo has seen some sadness in the high-profile deaths of zoo Mascot Tomar the Amur (Siberian) tiger and his mate Pasha in recent years, the folks at the zoo are nevertheless focused on looking forward.

The zoo is raising money to purchase a brand new $1 million tiger exhibit. They have various fundraisers in place, but Dougan says realistically he doesn't foresee being able to purchase tigers for another three years, although he would love to be able to do it in two years.

The efforts to bring tigers back to the zoo as a bookmark to the zoo's already magnificent lion display says a lot about the direction of the facility.

Obviously, tigers are showpiece animals that will draw crowds and increase revenues. But it's not the building of the new exhibit but what the zoo did after Tomar died last year that speaks volumes.

Just as Cortez burned his ships upon arriving in the New World so that there could be no turning back, one of the first things done after Tomar's departure was to tear down his enclosure.

The facility that housed Tomar and Pasha was adequate 20 years ago, but it's now out of date.

By tearing it down and working toward something far greater, the zoo has stuck to the principles that have made it such a jewel in just two decades of intense work. When it comes to the public, the zoo is making itself ever better. When it comes to the animals, it's just not willing to compromise.

The zoo is open seven days a week from early April to late October, with varying rate structures depending on the season.

mmmatt
Nov 29, 2008, 4:22 PM
The most recent animals to find an even more comfortable and safe home are Lee and Squeak.

The pair of cougars now reside in "Cougar Country," the zoo's newest exhibit, which was recently awarded the Environmental Enrichment Award by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums.

The new exhibit replaces a previous facility that had last been renovated in 1990. With a 3,200 square foot open-top enclosure conducive to the natural environment of the animal, the space is four times the size of the previous habitat. The ground is landscaped to provide a variety of terrain and has two large climbing features. The new layout also allows zoo patrons to see the cougars from a number of different angles and includes educational signage.

The recognition of Cougar Country is the third time the CAZA award has been presented to Magnetic Hill in the eight years of the award's existence. The zoo previously received the award for its ostrich and lion exhibits.

Dougan said the new exhibit is the end result of a year of "destruction and reconstruction," which was preceded by three years of fundraising by groups like Friends of the Zoo to go towards the nearly $250,000 project.

The zoo is raising money to purchase a brand new $1 million tiger exhibit. They have various fundraisers in place, but Dougan says realistically he doesn't foresee being able to purchase tigers for another three years, although he would love to be able to do it in two years.

The efforts to bring tigers back to the zoo as a bookmark to the zoo's already magnificent lion display says a lot about the direction of the facility.

Obviously, tigers are showpiece animals that will draw crowds and increase revenues. But it's not the building of the new exhibit but what the zoo did after Tomar died last year that speaks volumes.

Just as Cortez burned his ships upon arriving in the New World so that there could be no turning back, one of the first things done after Tomar's departure was to tear down his enclosure.

The facility that housed Tomar and Pasha was adequate 20 years ago, but it's now out of date.

By tearing it down and working toward something far greater, the zoo has stuck to the principles that have made it such a jewel in just two decades of intense work. When it comes to the public, the zoo is making itself ever better. When it comes to the animals, it's just not willing to compromise.

Great news about the Zoo...its certainly one of Moncton best attractions, and its keeps getting better :)

mmmatt
Nov 29, 2008, 4:25 PM
Metro's real estate market is solid

Carla Bouchard
Published Saturday November 29th, 2008

Everyone is discussing the real estate market in Greater Moncton these days. It is solid? Are we in trouble? What is going to happen to our real estate investments?

Recently, in the Canadian Real Estate magazine, Moncton was listed in the Top 5 safe havens to buy and sell real estate. Their assessment of Moncton, which follows below, gives us lots to feel good about.

Having enjoyed strong fundamentals over the past decade, Moncton is probably the closest thing to a safe bet that you'll find in the Atlantic provinces for real estate investment.

Average house prices increased to $157,186 at the end of August 2008 from $85,363 in 1997.

"The historical pace of growth has been something to depend on in Moncton. We don't have the big ups and downs -- the big increases or major declines -- that big places do," says Ron Wood, president of the Greater Moncton Real Estate Board.

"You can compare Moncton to a GIC -- a guaranteed investment," say Wood," whereas in some places, like Toronto, you might well be able to make more money but it's a bit more risky,"

Moncton has enjoyed steady growth in the real estate market because of its solid economy and central location in the Maritimes. About 1.4 million people live within a three-hour drive of 'the Hub City.'

"Moncton has long been a favourite place for companies to place outsourcing style businesses," according to Philip Soper, president and CEO of Royal LePage. "It's the economic star of Atlantic Canada."

The city is a commercial, distribution, transportation and retailing centre. Insurance, information technology, education and the health-care sector are major employers, with the unemployment rate hovering around 5 per cent, which is below the national average.

Moncton is one of the top 10 fastest growing metropolitan areas and the fastest growing urban region east of Toronto. It's home to nearly 65,000 people, but the Greater Moncton Area has a population of about 125,000. It's currently the most populous metropolitan area in New Brunswick, surpassing Saint John. According to Statistics Canada, Moncton is the only metropolitan area in the Atlantic provinces whose growth rate is above the national average.

"Moncton has seen a lot of people returning from out west and from the northern part of the province," says Wood. "We've seen more than our share of in-migration from the rest of Canada. We have more immigration from other countries as well, especially from South Korea. That's something that's been increasing in the last five years."

The vacancy rate for rentals has decreased to 5.5 per cent from 6.1 per cent between April 2007 and April 2008, according to CMHC. Continued demand for rental units, particularly from younger people and empty nesters, in combination with a mild decline in rental unit construction have contributed to this spring's lower vacancy rate, notes CMHC, as supply and demand for rental units is beginning to reach a more favourable balance.

The average monthly rent for a two-bedroom apartment increased moderately to about $665, compared to $631 from the year before, which is higher than the provincial average.

- With the ammount of rental construction lately, Im very surprised to see the vacancy rate drop so much...in other words, population is still increasing faster than we are building :D

David_99
Nov 30, 2008, 1:47 AM
As far as the Liquor Store building I have no ideas, but I did see an excavator digging up the parking lot there recently.

I drive by there every day and the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw them digging it up was maybe another gas station to compete with Irving as there's a lot of traffic on the BLVD for the one gas station. But who knows.

mylesmalley
Nov 30, 2008, 6:02 AM
I drive by there every day and the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw them digging it up was maybe another gas station to compete with Irving as there's a lot of traffic on the BLVD for the one gas station. But who knows.

Maybe apartments? There was talk of tearing down Centenial Shakers to put up lakeside rental units.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with the condo project that was proposed for St George a few years back?

It was supposed to go between the lake and Dickson blvd and the last I heard was to be 8 floors. They put up a really nice sign for it, but that was five or six years ago now.

P Unit
Nov 30, 2008, 2:24 PM
The neighbours on Dickson killed it.

MonctonRad
Nov 30, 2008, 2:28 PM
Also, does anyone know what's going on with the condo project that was proposed for St George a few years back?

It was supposed to go between the lake and Dickson blvd and the last I heard was to be 8 floors. They put up a really nice sign for it, but that was five or six years ago now.

I think the project is dead. The adjacent homeowners on Dickson (big houses, influential people) were not too happy to be losing the woodland behind their backyards and were prepared to put up a significant fuss. I think the threat of litigation was somewhat offputting for the developer.

David_99
Dec 1, 2008, 1:11 AM
I added this to the CFL thread but figured it could fit here too.

If a team were ever to come to Moncton, what do you guys think of something like this? I thought it'd be appropriate with Moncton's rail road history. It also has nothing to do with fishing or boats of any kind, so that has to be a plus right? lol

"Moncton" could easily be replaced with "Maritime" or "Atlantic" if they went with a regional name.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2506/chenardexpresskm1.gif

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2008, 2:29 AM

If a team were ever to come to Moncton, what do you guys think of something like this? I thought it'd be appropriate with Moncton's rail road history. It also has nothing to do with fishing or boats of any kind, so that has to be a plus right? lol

"Moncton" could easily be replaced with "Maritime" or "Atlantic" if they went with a regional name.

That's actually very good. I like it a lot. You should send a copy of this to the mayor.

stephan.richard
Dec 1, 2008, 2:31 AM
Does anyone know the wole list of stores that are going into the new developpement on Mapleton and also are there any rumours on what stores will be filling the vacant stroes at Champlain Place.. I am just curious and I hope that Champlain place can attarct stores such as Aeropostale, Hollister, Abrecrombie and Fitch just to name a few. And I welcome your feedback and lets try to make Moncton the main Gaming and Shopping destination east of Montreal.:notacrook:

ErickMontreal
Dec 1, 2008, 3:37 AM
And I welcome your feedback and lets try to make Moncton the main Gaming and Shopping destination east of Montreal.:notacrook:

No offence but I think Quebec city will always be ahead of Moncton in term of retail offer. Moncton has a lot of work to do in order to overcome Quebec city in that regard.

Place Laurier is three times bigger than Champlain place, same goes for Capitale shopping center. Moreover, we can hardly compare the quality of the retailers involved in both markets.

C_Boy
Dec 1, 2008, 3:43 AM
Does anyone know the wole list of stores that are going into the new developpement on Mapleton and also are there any rumours on what stores will be filling the vacant stroes at Champlain Place.. I am just curious and I hope that Champlain place can attarct stores such as Aeropostale, Hollister, Abrecrombie and Fitch just to name a few. And I welcome your feedback and lets try to make Moncton the main Gaming and Shopping destination east of Montreal.:notacrook:

Welcome to the Forum Stephane.richard ! Your name sounds so farmiliar...specialy due to the fact your from St-Antoine...What year did you graduate?

For the stores going in to the new development they are listed some pages back but the ones I can think of on the top of my head are :

-The Brick
-Linens and Things
-Best Buy

For the rest at champlain place, it would be nice to have those options around here! I'm sure soon enough they will be here.

stephan.richard
Dec 1, 2008, 4:02 AM
Welcome to the Forum Stephane.richard ! Your name sounds so farmiliar...specialy due to the fact your from St-Antoine...What year did you graduate?

For the stores going in to the new development they are listed some pages back but the ones I can think of on the top of my head are :

-The Brick
-Linens and Things
-Best Buy

For the rest at champlain place, it would be nice to have those options around here! I'm sure soon enough they will be here.

C_Boy I graduated Polyvalente Clement Cormier in 1997.. But I highly doubt that linen and Things will be comming into town due to the chain having filled for Bankruptcy. But Best Byuy will be a good adition to the Greater Moncton Retail scene. But I hope that they can fill out those vacancies soon in the Champplain Place and I can see it is the future if they do build the Metro Center on the same ground as the Highfield Square that The Bay will be filling in the spot on where Wal Mart is if and when the Wal Mart plans to build their Super Center in Dieppe and move out of the Champlain Place. That spot would make The Bay more competitive in that sopt rather than being stuck downtown. That is my take on things.

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2008, 5:00 AM
C_Boy I graduated Polyvalente Clement Cormier in 1997.. But I highly doubt that linen and Things will be comming into town due to the chain having filled for Bankruptcy. But Best Byuy will be a good adition to the Greater Moncton Retail scene. But I hope that they can fill out those vacancies soon in the Champplain Place and I can see it is the future if they do build the Metro Center on the same ground as the Highfield Square that The Bay will be filling in the spot on where Wal Mart is if and when the Wal Mart plans to build their Super Center in Dieppe and move out of the Champlain Place. That spot would make The Bay more competitive in that sopt rather than being stuck downtown. That is my take on things.

Welcome to the forums, Stephan!

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2008, 5:02 AM
Thanks P_unit and MonctonRad. That's what I thought. Honestly though, I'm pretty glad they did give up on it. I'm very pro development and especially anything hi rise, but that stretch of St George is nice only because it has such a thick tree cover. It'd be a real shame for that to be diminished.

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 1, 2008, 2:03 PM
Last I heard Wal-Mart will 'stay' in the mall and what would be built out in Dieppe would be a 'Sams Club' (wal-marts version of Costco). They've used this model in other cities.

I agree...the Linens & Things has likely been kaiboshed due to bankruptcy.

As far as stores like Hollister and A&F...don't hold your breath. They are two of my favorite stores but don't see them coming here, A&F I believe only has one store in Canada in Toronto. I know they have expansion plans for Canada but I don't think Moncton would be their first choice with places like Montreal, Vancouver, etc to go to.

That 'logo' looks cool...love it.

Jason

mmmatt
Dec 1, 2008, 4:50 PM
Awesome logo David! Thats really good work!

As far as Linens 'n Things ...they will not be opening, they are closing all their current locations soon, including Canadian ones.

St Hubert looks really good, and they are making good progress on Mapleton Power Center, they have a crane going.

Also welcome to the forum stephan! :D

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 1, 2008, 6:29 PM
St Hubert looks really good, and they are making good progress on Mapleton Power Center, they have a crane going.

Agreed on St. Hubert...it looks 'really' nice.

Not just a 'crane'...but a 'bloody huge' crane is working on Mapleton...lot's of bustle there in the last couple of weeks.

Jason

gehrhardt
Dec 1, 2008, 6:40 PM
I was driving around in the Caledonia Ind. Park yesterday and there is a lot going on.

Behind the Tim Horton's on Harrisville Blvd, the foundation for a strip mall-like industrial complex has already been poured. Behind that is a sign saying "space for lease" for a similar complex that hasn't been started. Across the street from that is yet another building that is already closed in. Around the corner from that is still another sign with a render of a large complex. It doesn't look like the boom in that park will be ending anytime soon.

Speaking of Caledonia park, new roads were being built all summer to expand the park. Frenette ave has been completed from Harrisville all the way to Caledonia road including a connection to Urquhart ave. If you look at Google Maps, you can get an idea of how long this road is. There's lots of room for expansion now. :tup:

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2008, 6:43 PM

That's excellent! Great idea using the stitching for the railroad ties.
I take it you're a graphic designer then?

MonctonGoldenFlames
Dec 1, 2008, 7:39 PM
we know it's a football team, there doesn't need to be a big football in a logo of a maritime cfl team. on a positive note, i like the train idea, and the express reminds of the old fredericton express (nordiques farm team) of the ahl. how would the rest of the maritimes feel about a rail related name, since it will be a maritime team?

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2008, 9:17 PM
we know it's a football team, there doesn't need to be a big football in a logo of a maritime cfl team. on a positive note, i like the train idea, and the express reminds of the old fredericton express (nordiques farm team) of the ahl. how would the rest of the maritimes feel about a rail related name, since it will be a maritime team?

On the contrary, I like the football idea and as Myles says, the use of the stitching on the ball for railway ties is inspired! The locomotive emerging over the top of the ball conveys an impression of unrestrained strength and power. The name for the team is great.

mylesmalley
Dec 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
Since it's a maritime team, why not 'the Ocean'. keeps with the railroad theme because it's the name of the via train that goes from halifax to montreal. plus it would feed the stereotype :p

MonctonGoldenFlames
Dec 1, 2008, 10:45 PM
On the contrary, I like the football idea and as Myles says, the use of the stitching on the ball for railway ties is inspired! The locomotive emerging over the top of the ball conveys an impression of unrestrained strength and power. The name for the team is great.

then we will agree to disagree. in my opinion, the logo should not be trying to explain what sport you belong to, and that's why i don't like this idea. it just seems chessy and gimmicky.

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2008, 11:09 PM
Since it's a maritime team, why not 'the Ocean'. keeps with the railroad theme because it's the name of the via train that goes from halifax to montreal. plus it would feed the stereotype :p

I get the reference to "the Ocean", but it might be a little too obtuse for your typical central or western Canadian. They would have no idea what the Ocean Limited is. I like "Express" better, it's generic enough to be easily understood and conveys the impression of "get out of the way, I'm coming through!"

MonctonRad
Dec 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
They are starting to put the framing up for the new Lutheran private school on Hildegarde Drive.

mylesmalley
Dec 2, 2008, 12:36 AM
They are starting to put the framing up for the new Lutheran private school on Hildegarde Drive.

This is the first I've heard of that? What's it supposed ot look like?

David_99
Dec 2, 2008, 12:42 AM
on a positive note, i like the train idea, and the express reminds of the old fredericton express (nordiques farm team) of the ahl. how would the rest of the maritimes feel about a rail related name, since it will be a maritime team?

This is just the first of many ideas I had. It's the only one I had time to throw together between projects. (Coincidentally, I also built an updated Nordiques logo at the same time). Anyway, I felt the train idea was both universal and specifically sentimental to Moncton. Really, what Maritime province doesn't have a railway? I don't see Cape Bretoners scatching their head wondering what it means. It's not like I called them the "Tidal Bore" or the "Resurgo". "Maritime" could easily replace "Moncton" with no impact lost. "Express" is also bilingual which would also be very important in the area.

Anywho, I took it as a challenge to come up with an idea that had nothing to do with the lakes, rivers or ocean that will more then likely end up on the final product.

Dmajackson
Dec 2, 2008, 1:16 AM
This is just the first of many ideas I had. It's the only one I had time to throw together between projects. (Coincidentally, I also built an updated Nordiques logo at the same time). Anyway, I felt the train idea was both universal and specifically sentimental to Moncton. Really, what Maritime province doesn't have a railway? I don't see Cape Bretoners scatching their head wondering what it means. It's not like I called them the "Tidal Bore" or the "Resurgo". "Maritime" could easily replace "Moncton" with no impact lost. "Express" is also bilingual which would also be very important in the area.

Anywho, I took it as a challenge to come up with an idea that had nothing to do with the lakes, rivers or ocean that will more then likely end up on the final product.

Hate to burst your bubble but PEI doesn't have any railways anymore. They turned them all into trails when the Confederation Bridge was built.

mylesmalley
Dec 2, 2008, 1:39 AM

as I said, I really like where you're going with that. I'm especially glad it doesn't include a lighthouse :jester:

David_99
Dec 2, 2008, 1:45 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but PEI doesn't have any railways anymore. They turned them all into trails when the Confederation Bridge was built.

ha, I shoulda known that. I'm half Islander. Oh well. Some of my family members on the Island never missed a PEI Rockets game, having never seen a real rocket take off from the Island. I don't think a train logo would prevent them from cheering for a Moncton team.

stephan.richard
Dec 2, 2008, 1:48 AM
Awesome logo David! Thats really good work!

As far as Linens 'n Things ...they will not be opening, they are closing all their current locations soon, including Canadian ones.

Thanks alot Stu for the welcome message... But with the new Power Center opening up I can't wait to see what kind of stores will be setting up there and why did it take so long to get something going there.... And I hope that I can bring other ideas to the forum regarding the city of Moncton and to see it develop into one of the greatest metro area's in Canada.

MonctonRad
Dec 2, 2008, 1:56 AM
Myles: This was posted previously about 40 pages back. This is the news article and a render of the first phase of the project.

Lutheran church to open school
Published Monday September 22nd, 2008

Concordia Academy accepting kindergarten students now for class to begin next year
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of Moncton will break ground this weekend on a new private school and daycare behind the church on Hildegard Drive in Moncton.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=186894&size=500x0
This is the front elevation plan for the new building. The first phase is expected to be complete in January.

This weekend, the church will break ground just behind it in the first visible step toward the opening of its own private school.

Concordia Academy will open in three stages over the next five years, with the first step to be completed by January and the first kindergarten class to move in Sept. 2009.

Milette says the school will eventually serve children from kindergarten to Grade 8, and he says it will uphold high academic standards.

Richard Betsch, a congregation member, is the construction and building co-ordinator for the project.

Betsch's wife Debra has been operating a daycare, Kingswood Academy, in the basement of the 20-year-old church for the last two years.

The daycare is a separate entity from the church, but they have a solid relationship that has led to some growth in the congregation.

"The daycare revitalized the church, revitalized the congregation," says Betsch. "Flowers got planted, lawns got cut, kids from the daycare would attend Sunday school, families were starting to come to school every so often . . . These were things that weren't happening and now are."

Pastor Milette agrees.

"They help out with the congregation, and they also give an opportunity for many people who would never really find a reason to come into a church building to come into a church building," he explains.

When Lutheran Church-Canada, the governing body of the church, saw the success of the daycare, it asked the church if it would consider opening a Lutheran school. The Lutheran body keeps an extension fund to maintain or rebuild churches across the country.

Roughly two years of research precipitated the Moncton project before all involved decided to give it a go.

Lutheran Church-Canada is kicking in about $2 million for the school and additional fundraising will be done to complete the project and even tear down and rebuild the church if all goes well.

Once complete, the school will serve up to 135 students (15 per grade in Grades 1-8).

Phase one will be about 6,500 square feet over two stories, and it is expected to be finished by January.

An addition will be added later of another 6,500 square feet about two years later, and the third step will be the addition of a gymnasium for use by the school and surrounding community three years after that.

Kingswood Academy will also move into the new building once the first phase is complete.

Kingswood Academy daycare has about 40 youngsters attending right now, and Betsch says the school aims to retain about 10 of them for the first kindergarten class.

Betsch says the school's curriculum is based on western Canadian curriculum that will include math, health, science, English, French, essentially all of the normal school subjects, in addition to religion.

"Religion is taught, but it's not as dogmatic as people might think," Betsch explains.

Tuition will be $500 per month ($5,000 per year), and there will be summer programs available as well.

The church is currently in the process of selecting a principal.

Pastor Milette will run a daily chapel service for the kids, but says he wants "someone who has all the necessary qualifications" to be selected as a principal.

Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Moncton is the only Lutheran church in Metro Moncton. There are only a few Lutheran churches on the East Coast, including one in Saint John.

Outside of the public education system in North America and the Catholic private education system, the Lutheran system is the largest, explains Betsch.

Pastor Milette says he is happy to see the church growing, and he is excited about the school project.

"I love it," says Milette. "It's intimidating because it's a big project, but I didn't become a pastor because I wanted everything to be nice and simple and straight-forward."

The school groundbreaking will take place this Sunday at 12:30 p.m. just behind Good Shepherd Lutheran Church at 25 Hildegard Dr. in Moncton. The president of the east district of Lutheran Church-Canada, Alan Maleske, will be on hand.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Dec 2, 2008, 4:04 AM

i wasn't trying to belittle your efforts. i applaude the time you took to put it together. i was just providing my constructive criticism.

mylesmalley
Dec 2, 2008, 5:04 AM
Myles: This was posted previously about 40 pages back. This is the news article and a render of the first phase of the project.

I am generally quite opposed to private religious schools, but it looks as though this will be quite a nice addition to the North End.

Sorry if it took a long time to dig that up, MonctonRad :cheers:

JasonL-Moncton
Dec 2, 2008, 1:03 PM
There are huge 'forms' like walls, couldn't tell for sure but they looked like concrete, being set up on Mapleton backing the off ramp off wheeler. They are high enough to not allow a view of the area in some spots.

Jason

David_99
Dec 2, 2008, 2:18 PM
i wasn't trying to belittle your efforts. i applaude the time you took to put it together. i was just providing my constructive criticism.

Oh, no offense taken man. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't expect constructive criticism. I appreciate anyone who gave their 2 cents!

benvui
Dec 2, 2008, 3:20 PM
Just to let everyone know, the new Shoppers' in Shediac is now open. It is quite a bit bigger than their old store. Now I wonder what is going to happen to their old building. I've heard that there are many problems with the roof.

MPSE
Dec 2, 2008, 5:24 PM
just a couple of points...
1) not sure if this is ettique or not but it sucks when you attach the "quote" to your post just creates more wasted space
2) is there not a page for pictures only?
3) if it's in the paper is really neccessary to cut and paste the enite article in your post???

4) is the courthouse moving?? nothing is happening