PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

michael_d40
Feb 12, 2012, 6:15 AM
RyeJay, I have come to the conclusion that there is no point in arguing with you. You have your own opinions that are strongly held and no amount of discourse will change them.

You're not the only one who has come to that conclusion MonctonRad.... lol

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2012, 7:13 AM
http://plaza.ca/properties-NB.php?province=New%20Brunswick

Any idea what the "Moncton East Lands" is referring to?

The only mention I can find of it is the Plaza Corp listing and a few posts on here referring to it.

Unless they're referring to one of the small strip malls around Harrisville and Shediac Roads, it must be the oft-rumoured yet still unbuilt retail development that is supposed to go up along Harrisville Blvd. There have been for-sale signs along there for quite some time. In spite of the ridiculous construction that's happened on the Dieppe side of that overpass, the new hotel at the corner of Harrisville and Rt 15 is the only substantial thing to get started there in a few years. With Mountain Road pretty much packed now and a relative lack of commercial space in the East end, it might make sense for the next big project to happen out there.

I don't think it will happen for a while though, unless it starts off as a grocery store at first and adds over time. It's no secret how over saturated the moncton retail market is. Now that the new mall on Mapleton is actually moving again, it might be a couple years before there's enough demand to justify it. A grocery store like Sobeys would make sense there though. There's a Co-op on Dieppe blvd about 2km away, but other than that, your nearest grocery stores would be on Paul St and Elmwood, and there has been a lot of residential construction in the area.

MonctonRad
Feb 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, the "Moncton East Lands" refer to property along the northeast corner of the Veterans Highway/Harrisville Blvd interchange, across from the soon-to-be-constructed Fairfield Inn.

Plaza Corp has owned this land for several years. The principle rumour is that there would be a retail strip built there, anchored by a Sobeys.

BTW, you have the honour of the 10,000th post Michael, congratulations!

:banana::banana::banana:

NBNYer
Feb 12, 2012, 3:34 PM
With Mountain Road pretty much packed now and a relative lack of commercial space in the East end, it might make sense for the next big project to happen out there.

Yes, but what about that strip mall at the northwest corner of Harrisville and Shediac? For the longest time its only tenant was that cafe. Did it ever fill out? or are there still empty store fronts?

Perhaps the hotel will kick start some development in that area. Harrisville may be facing some of the same issues as Mapleton for a few reasons: 1. up and coming commercial development including at hotel. 2. two-lane road, probably inadequate to handle the upcoming increase in traffic. 3. adjacent interchange at H-15 which is already inadequate to handle the current traffic load.

This could soon mean another large infrastructure investment for the city and the province. Dieppe has been lobbying for improvements to that interchange, this may force the province to get moving on this!

MonctonRad
Feb 12, 2012, 6:55 PM
Yes, but what about that strip mall at the northwest corner of Harrisville and Shediac? For the longest time its only tenant was that cafe. Did it ever fill out? or are there still empty store fronts?

The only unit in that little plaza occupied is that bistro. I hear it has good food but I have never tried it. I imagine the principle problem with this plaza is that there is no other commercial nearby and the density on that part of Shediac Road isn't that high.

Perhaps the hotel will kick start some development in that area. Harrisville may be facing some of the same issues as Mapleton for a few reasons: 1. up and coming commercial development including at hotel. 2. two-lane road, probably inadequate to handle the upcoming increase in traffic. 3. adjacent interchange at H-15 which is already inadequate to handle the current traffic load.

The Mapleton overpass over Wheeler had to be widened in order to deal with traffic pressures from increased retail and commercial development on Mapleton Road and on Trinity Drive and Plaza Blvd. When this was completed, this certainly helped to expedite additional development in the area

The same issues exist at the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange at Rte 15.

The traffic there is already insane:
- this is the main connector between the Dieppe and Caledonia Industrial Parks
- this is a principle exit for the GMIA
- this is the main entry to the uptown Dieppe area
- this is a shortcut to the TCH, especially heading west for the entire east end of the metro area

The overpass is now a (tight) three lanes, it needs to be five lanes at least. This would improve through traffic and would make the lands along Harrisville much more attractive to development. This should be a high priority item for the Moncton and Dieppe city councils, the GMIA and the management of the industrial parks.

This could soon mean another large infrastructure investment for the city and the province. Dieppe has been lobbying for improvements to that interchange, this may force the province to get moving on this!

Amen to that. As far as I'm concerned, this should be a higher priority item than the full interchange at the maint exit for the GMIA on the 15. :tup:

NBNYer
Feb 12, 2012, 7:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned, this should be a higher priority item than the full interchange at the maint exit for the GMIA on the 15. :tup:

Both Harrisville/Dieppe blvd and GMIA interchanges need to be upgraded. A full interchange at the airport would indeed help ease some of the pressure off of the other, but I think the bottleneck effect on Dieppe blvd is probably a more pressing concern right now and should go ahead first. I think that is the government's plan anyway. If it is, GMIA management isn't gonna like it, yet another interchange on 15 going up before theirs...even Scoudouc got their interchange and it must be handling less traffic on a daily basis than any area Tim Hortons drive-through :haha:

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2012, 9:13 PM
The problem with the GMIA exit is cost. That, and space.That rail spur would need to have high clearance so the overpass would need to be quite high. As such, you'd need especially long ramps to access it.

NBNYer
Feb 12, 2012, 9:47 PM
The problem with the GMIA exit is cost. That, and space.That rail spur would need to have high clearance so the overpass would need to be quite high. As such, you'd need especially long ramps to access it.

That's right, there's a rail spur there, I forgot about that. Is there a plan out there showing how they would manage this? That line is coming right through where the overpass would be and at an angle, not an easy fix.

An at grade rail crossing on an expressway doesn't make much sense to begin with, to have it at an interchange with on/off ramps into the mix is even crazier, it should be at least relocated between GMIA and Dieppe blvd and at best be made into another separate overpass but we're talking big $$$$$.

mylesmalley
Feb 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
Why is there an at-grade crossing on a freeway? Excellent question haha, but I can all but guarantee it was because of cost. The spur is used a few times a week and always at off-peak times. It would cost a fortune to re-route it, and even then, you'd be running into space issues regarding existing buildings (BMW, for example), and then the placement of the ramps for Dieppe Blvd and the airport.

Phil_5
Feb 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Here is a photo of the Empire Theatres in Dieppe. It was taken on February 12th in the afternoon.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/6865660105_3538affa79.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6865660105/)
Empire theatres Dieppe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6865660105/) by Phil_5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/phil_5/), on Flickr

I wonder if they will open in February. It seems like they still have some work to do.

blacktrojan3921
Feb 13, 2012, 7:21 AM
Me wonders when will the Moncton ll thread will rise? :P

mylesmalley
Feb 13, 2012, 1:19 PM
Excellent question.

I'm not really sure why they do retire pages. Once you get past a certain number of pages, going through page by page takes an excessive amount of time. Adding a few more won't make a difference.

brod3211
Feb 13, 2012, 4:09 PM
I think I should get out and do a photo shoot sometime soon around the city of the construction. If not me someone should.

MonctonRad
Feb 13, 2012, 5:07 PM
:previous:

Do it.......just wait for a warmer day!! :)

brod3211
Feb 13, 2012, 5:15 PM
I wont be back in the city till the 29th, but I will do it then for sure.

porchmouse
Feb 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm on it. I have 4-5 ideas of sites I'd like to take pics of. :)

If you have any suggestions send them my way. I plan on heading out sometime this week/weekend.

Good2go
Feb 14, 2012, 1:54 PM
Riverview - Major housing project moves ahead

Council approves layout of new streets, parkland for subdivision next to Moncton Golf & Country Club

BY ERIC LEWIS
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

It's been years in the making, but it appears as though a planned subdivision adjacent to the Moncton Golf & Country Club in Riverview is finally coming to fruition.

At its meeting last night, Riverview council approved the location of several streets and lands for public purpose in the subdivision, which will be a mixeduse, walkable development with sidewalks and public trails linking it with the multi-purpose trail on Gunningsville Boulevard.

Developed by Halifax's Clayton Developments, it is expected to eventually include 107 singleunit dwellings, 23 townhouse condominium clusters and 234 units in multi-unit buildings.

The project will start by extending Pinewood Road from where it currently ends (where it intersects with Country Club Road) and take it through the golf course lands, connecting it to Gunningsville Boulevard. It will then be developed to the north and south of Pinewood.

alienc
Feb 14, 2012, 2:05 PM
Is there anywhere online that shows a map of what this is going to look like?

Will be nice to see Gunningsville Blvd actually have some development near it as now it's nothing more than a long connecting road.

Also, they are clearing more trees from the area where the new School will be going in East Riverview. There is a huge pile of logs next to the Power station up behind the Water tower. Presently they have the land cleared out from behind the Nav Canada property pretty much all the way across past The Harmony Estate subdivision.

All that remains wooded up there is the NB Power right-of ways and the portion of land that Riverview owns that is presently only used for the Ski Trails in the winter. The plan is to eventually create park back there similar to Mapleton park.

Obviously the plan is to develop all this land into housing as well, likely to take a big jump once construction on the new school begins.

Riverview - Major housing project moves ahead

Council approves layout of new streets, parkland for subdivision next to Moncton Golf & Country Club

BY ERIC LEWIS
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

It's been years in the making, but it appears as though a planned subdivision adjacent to the Moncton Golf & Country Club in Riverview is finally coming to fruition.

At its meeting last night, Riverview council approved the location of several streets and lands for public purpose in the subdivision, which will be a mixeduse, walkable development with sidewalks and public trails linking it with the multi-purpose trail on Gunningsville Boulevard.

Developed by Halifax's Clayton Developments, it is expected to eventually include 107 singleunit dwellings, 23 townhouse condominium clusters and 234 units in multi-unit buildings.

The project will start by extending Pinewood Road from where it currently ends (where it intersects with Country Club Road) and take it through the golf course lands, connecting it to Gunningsville Boulevard. It will then be developed to the north and south of Pinewood.

Hogie75
Feb 14, 2012, 2:57 PM
Has anyone heard of The province going ahead with the causeway replacement plan (http://www.gnb.ca/0099/petit/docs/Conditions%20of%20EIA%20Approval.pdf)?

MonctonRad
Feb 14, 2012, 4:03 PM

It would be interesting to know if this extension of Pinewood through the Moncton G&CC to Gunningsville Blvd would line up to the proposed Bridgedale Blvd which will (in the future) serve as the bypass around the eastern portion of Riverview. If so, this would make a nifty four way intersection on Gunningsville Blvd around which a retail/commercial node could develop.

Development in east Riverview has really taken off in the last five years or so, and probably accounts for the majority of the 7-8% increase in population of the town since the last census. This growth will likely accelerate with the opening of the new Gunningsville K-8 school within the next two years.

Bridgedale Blvd is to pass behind the new school. After the school opens, I would not be surprised if there was pressure to build this new street to serve as a connector as well as a bypass.

NBNYer
Feb 14, 2012, 4:07 PM
So is it the environmental impact assessment report that is dated 2005 or is it the approval?

If it is the approval, then I think it has since been overturned. :hell:

riverviewer
Feb 15, 2012, 1:45 AM
Is there anywhere online that shows a map of what this is going to look like?

Original design

http://www.rlagolf.com/golf_moncton.html

- not sure it it was what was approved

mylesmalley
Feb 15, 2012, 1:54 AM
The proposed Bridgedale Blvd would end opposite Glenview St, rather than Pinewood.

You can take a look at the http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/783.pdf map that the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission (awkward name) has on their website.

Actually, that map has a lot more to show than just the area in question. It shows the eventual paths of the West-Riverview loop road and all of the neighbourhood connections.

It'll take a long time for it to happen, but it's good to see Riverview planning ahead to deal with the ever-increasing traffic along Coverdale.

MonctonRad
Feb 15, 2012, 3:01 AM
http://www.rlagolf.com/images/golf_moncton.jpg

If this design is still valid, then the road connector through to Gunningsville Blvd probably wouldn't be opposite Bridgedale Blvd. It doesn't look like it would be far north enough.

Still, I guess it wouldn't matter too much since the road through to Pinewood isn't going to be a straight shot. I still suspect that there will be a retail/commercial node at the Gunningsville/Bridgedale intersection.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that it's pretty impressive that there will be four residential golf course developments in the metropolitan area:
- Fox Creek
- Royal Oaks
- Mountain Woods
- Moncton G&CC

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2012, 12:22 AM

It would appear that the above plan for the Moncton G&CC is no longer valid:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202012/04bdd267.jpg

The image above is from the 2012 Riverview municipal development plan. You can clearly see that the extension of Pinewood Road is to be realligned and will intersect the top end of Gunningsville Blvd. It will cross Gunningsville Blvd and then head north, crossing the (future) Bridgedale Blvd and finally joining with Wendell St.

This map is also kinda neat in that it clearly shows the future allignment of Bridgedale Blvd, where it will connect with Gunningsville Blvd and how it will lie behind the (future) Gunningsville School.

The municipal plan also explicitly states that there will be a commercial/retail node at the Gunningsville/Bridgedale Blvd intersection.

Red = commercial
Yellow = residential
Green = parkland/institutional

NBNYer
Feb 16, 2012, 12:41 AM

Hmm... What I'm wondering is where's that proposed street going? The one right in the middle with parkland on each side of it, looks like it's crossing Hillsborough road and going strait for the river.

Are they really planing on a crossing there?

mylesmalley
Feb 16, 2012, 12:48 AM
Planning for it, not necessarily planning it :haha:
50 years from now, it'll be a lot easier to put a bridge there if you don't have to expropriate 500 houses to do it.

NBNYer
Feb 16, 2012, 1:25 AM
Granted. Speaking of planing, does bridgedale blvd also line-up with a major street on the Dieppe side, Melanson maybe?

Sunnybrae
Feb 16, 2012, 2:00 AM
FYI, Coast Tire will be closing the location at the corner of Main and Cameron...... isn't the CIBC pulling out of there too?

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 AM
Granted. Speaking of planing, does bridgedale blvd also line-up with a major street on the Dieppe side, Melanson maybe?

Yup..... :)

mylesmalley
Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 AM
From where they're suggesting now, I'd say Melanson Road. If a third bridge were to go up (and I daresay we're talking 25 or more years), the best spot would be further down stream. Dieppe Blvd is supposed to end at Dover Road someday. The Dover, Dieppe, Amirault intersection would make an interesting spot for an interchange connecting to a bridge over to Riverview.

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2012, 2:19 AM
FYI, Coast Tire will be closing the location at the corner of Main and Cameron...... isn't the CIBC pulling out of there too?

Yes, the rumour is that when the new CIBC opens on East Main that this branch would close.

Are you implying that there may be another large block of land being consolidated in the Highfield Square area? :)

JHikka
Feb 16, 2012, 2:36 AM
The Dover, Dieppe, Amirault intersection would make an interesting spot for an interchange connecting to a bridge over to Riverview.

This needs to happen. This this this. :tup:

Steelcowboy
Feb 16, 2012, 2:49 AM
I noticed something going on at the OLD ACTION trucks parts store on Edinburgh drive...a facelift of some sorts but no idea what is going there.

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2012, 4:04 AM
There may be something afoot for the south end of Gunningsville Blvd.

We know that all the legal issues around the new residential development at the Moncton G&CC have now been settled. We also know that the Town of Riverview is realligning the extension of Pinewood Rd though the south end of the golf course property.

The town now also has a rezoning request before the GMPDC so that a couple of parcels of land bounding the south end of Gunningsville can be redesignated as multiple unit dwelling (presumably apartments or condos).

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202012/c602780a.jpg

I presume this means that Clayton Developments wants to get started on their golf course community sooner than later.

Mattyyy
Feb 16, 2012, 1:25 PM
Interesting article in today's Times..

Parking lot to find new purpose?

BY BRENT MAZEROLLE

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF
16 Feb 2012 08:34AM

A prime piece of downtown Moncton property that has spent the past decade as a parking lot might be about to be put to new use.

The City of Moncton and Rogers are approaching the end of a 10-year contract that sees the city provide 385 parking spots for the company at a cost of $1 per year, but the contract won’t expire because the first of three possible five-year extensions to the deal will take effect. (A fourth possible extension has been nullified because it required Rogers to undergo an expansion that didn’t happen by an agreed deadline).

However, with negotiations well under way for a new development on the land, that parking lot may be on the move before the next five years pass.

Yes, you did read that correctly. After all these years, the last parcel of the former Beaver Lumber lands bought by the city in 1998 is finally poised for a residential and commercial development. Maybe.

It will be 10 years on Saturday since Moncton council approved the parking deal, and it had its detractors from Day One in then-councillors Brian Hicks, George LeBlanc and Kathryn Barnes. At the latest council meeting, Hicks revisited his objections.

At issue over the years has been the relative merits of drawing Rogers and 700 jobs into downtown versus the potential lost revenue from either charging for the parking itself or from developing the land to a higher use.

Essentially, nothing has changed, except there is now more hope the site is about to finally have a building constructed upon it.

Asked for some accounting of the numbers involved in the “Beaver lands” saga, so named because the parcels the City of Moncton bought to promote and control downtown development back in 1998 were last owned by the Beaver Lumber company, city solicitor Stephen Trueman said the city was now getting about $1 million per year in property tax revenues from the development of Rogers and the new Moncton Law Courts on two of the three Beaver parcels.

Meanwhile, “we are in discussions about developing the third piece of the property, which will obviously create more revenue.”

As well, because Rogers is not using all of its allotted spaces and because the lot has more than 400 spaces, the city is currently renting another 140 spaces in the lot for $75 per month.

The developer is Ash-Verd, a partnership of companies Ashford Properties and Verdiroc, and it has known all along that it will be responsible for helping the city honour the parking lot contract though other means when they develop.

The leading idea that has been tossed around over the years is that any new development would have to include a parking structure to stack cars instead of taking up so much land mass, but Trueman said precise details were still being worked out.

It is worth remembering, though, that the sea of cars parked between Rogers and Assomption Boulevard most days is somewhat larger than what the city is contractually obliged to provide.

A development on the land would mark the completion of the municipality’s long foray into land development. Meanwhile, the move of the provincial jail to Shediac coming in March or April will mean another parcel of the downtown core could be up for grabs.

Trueman said, however, there’s no immediate plan in the works for the city to acquire the old jail property.

“The province’s internal process is to offer it to other provincial departments first,” Trueman said.

benvui
Feb 16, 2012, 1:52 PM
Hey Guys, since we have been talking about Riverview, I found a map that lays out their Capitol Works Projects for 2012 on their website. It shows the new roads, repaving, street reconstruction and sidewalks that they are going to do this year. Very interesting. You can download the PDF map here (http://www.townofriverview.ca/web?service=file/2419/1)

David_99
Feb 16, 2012, 1:54 PM
:previous: (Roger's Parking Article)

Very interesting!

BTW Who owns the land Oulton's is currently on? Will that be in play in the near future as well?

MonctonRad
Feb 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
Yes, very interesting news about the Roger's parking lot......

I do recall, about a year or so ago, some talk about a "major" residential/commercial project rumoured for the last bit of the Beaver Lumber lands. This rapidly dropped off the radar though, and since Verdiroc was involved in this possible development, I just assumed that this project had turned to stone just like everything else that this company has touched in the downtown over the last decade.

If the Roger's parking lot is to be sacrificed, this would obviously mean that a two phase development project will be necessary. Phase one would be construction of a new downtown parking garage. Phase two would be converting the existing parking lot into commercial/residential space.

I won't hold my breath on this one though. I don't think I'll believe it until I can see it! :rolleyes:

Good2go
Feb 17, 2012, 2:18 AM
I noticed something going on at the OLD ACTION trucks parts store on Edinburgh drive...a facelift of some sorts but no idea what is going there.

Speaking of Action, I noticed Breakaway Auto has been parking some of their inventory at the old Action location on West Main. I'm wondering if they may move there and Acadia Toyota would annex their current location.

ithree
Feb 17, 2012, 2:18 AM
I went to Place 1604 today to drop something off for work and while I was waiting for the elevator I noticed a big sign promoting a future St.Hubert Express opening this summer. Oddly, the sign was gone by the time I left the building which was only within 5 minutes of arriving.

I heard (or read here) that there were plans to open an Express location in Dieppe, but I thought it was off Dieppe Blvd.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2012, 3:14 AM
It appears that we will soon be able to get Starbuck's coffee in Moncton Northwest (one way or the other).

from CBC

Target to Partner with Starbucks in Canada

Minneapolis-based discount fashion retailer Target Corporation will partner with Starbucks when it opens its outlets in Canada, the retailer announced Wednesday.

The choice matches its strategy in the U.S., despite some speculation that it might team up with Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons.

There are 1,097 Target locations with nearby Starbucks outlets in the U.S.

"Starbucks has been a valued partner for more than 12 years and an integral part of the Target guest experience in the U.S.," said John Morioka, senior vice president of merchandising for Target Canada.

"Our goal is to bring the true Target brand shopping experience to our Canadian guests, so expanding our relationship with Starbucks as we enter the Canadian marketplace is a natural fit."

Starbucks already has 1,130 outlets in Canada. The agreement with Target means that the majority of the retailer's up to 135 locations across Canada will feature Starbucks stores. Target plans to open its first Canadian outlets in March 2013.

“We continually look for new and relevant opportunities to bring the Starbucks experience to communities across the country, and this strategic relationship represents another way we’re able to create meaningful connections with both new and existing customers,” Colin Moore, president of Starbucks Coffee Canada, said.

I still think we will see a standalone Starbucks in the Mapleton Power Centre as well. Throw one in downtown and that would be the rumoured three new Starbucks that were to open in Moncton in the next couple of years.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2012, 4:35 AM
And one final thing before I go to bed......

Pedestrian crossing in works

Thursday, February 16, 2012
Times & Transcript

By: Brent Mazerolle
Moncton wants to link Salisbury Road, Main Street over causeway traffic circle

There's good news for Salisbury Road-area residents who sometimes feel they are cut off from the rest of Moncton by the decidedly pedestrian-unfriendly causeway traffic circle. The city is taking a step forward in helping pedestrians and cyclists navigate the twin hazards of the traffic circle and the main transcontinental rail line that crosses it.

City council has approved the awarding of a contract to Crandall Engineering that will see the company come up with three separate conceptual designs for a pair of pedestrian/ bicycle bridges to safely link Salisbury Road and Main Street, most likely via the western head of the Riverfront Trail and the branch trail that leads cyclists and walkers to their own dedicated railroad crossing at the foot of Milner Road.

The design contract, worth about $70,000, will also require Crandall Engineering to take on some of the negotiations with CN to cross parts of land they own. As well, the provincial Department of Transportation owns some of the land in question.

The idea being considered involves two prefabricated bridges being installed, but how exactly it will all be configured is what the successful bidder will have to devise.

The connectivity project dovetails nicely with the city's recently completed Active Transportation plan, but it has something the city has been working on and talking to CN about for years.

It's perhaps no surprise, then, that veteran councillors Merrill Henderson and Kathryn Barnes moved and seconded the motion, which passed unanimously with all councillors in attendance at their last meeting.

Said Barnes, 'I'd almost given up hope this was ever going to happen, but I'm really pleased to see it here (on the council's agenda).' Under questioning from Henderson, the city's general manager of engineering, Jack MacDonald, discussed the state of negotiations with CN.

'We have a sort of agreement in principle,' MacDonald said, saying Henderson's comments about the negotiations with the railway being stretched out over years was accurate.

'Our first kick at this was to use where the second track had been abandoned (by the railway, which removed one track from its railbed through the city). But CN said, 'you're still too close to an operating track.'' Whatever the final design, the bridges will stand separate and independent of the railbed.

There's no immediate word on when the project will jump from the drawing board to the road way and railway.

And for any of the T&T reporters out there who see this (and we know you read this forum), I did not appropriate this article from the TelegraphJournal.com website. I found it (freely available) at a different site on the web. So there..... :D

pierremoncton
Feb 17, 2012, 2:26 PM
And for any of the T&T reporters out there who see this (and we know you read this forum), I did not appropriate this article from the TelegraphJournal.com website. I found it (freely available) at a different site on the web. So there..... :D

Your source might be the same as mine -- and legit. Might as well share. :)

Anyone with a public library card can access all articles online (as recent as today's), but no photos.

1. http://er-re.gnb.ca/login
2. Log in.
3. Click ProQuest
4. Search terms: times transcript
5. Sort results by (on the right bar): Publication date (most recent first)

Ad-free. Your loss, T&T.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2012, 3:37 PM

Nope, not the same site pierre, but as with the library site, photos aren't available. In any event, it appears that the Brunswick News paywall isn't quite as air tight as they let on !!

monctonian
Feb 17, 2012, 5:03 PM

Targett's Window and Door Centre (Currently on Loftus St)

Steelcowboy
Feb 17, 2012, 5:23 PM
Ah ok, cool...and going back to UPS, according to my friend who was at the UPS job fair, someone had asked where their location will be and the UPS spokesman said they have purchased or leased the hangar by the old terminal.

MonctonRad
Feb 17, 2012, 5:42 PM
going back to UPS, according to my friend who was at the UPS job fair, someone had asked where their location will be and the UPS spokesman said they have purchased or leased the hangar by the old terminal.

A temporary solution I imagine so that they can get up and running quickly. I would assume they will build a new permanent facility just like Purolator and Fed Ex in the next couple of years.

If they wait a couple of years, they could even build on the north side of the airport close to Malley Industries after the runway gets extended to 10,000 feet.

mylesmalley
Feb 18, 2012, 5:21 PM
Maybe, but it'd be an expensive proposition. They'd need to build a whole new apron up there.

MonctonRad
Feb 18, 2012, 5:58 PM
Maybe, but it'd be an expensive proposition. They'd need to build a whole new apron up there.

But isn't this a principal reason why Dieppe is extending their industrial park in this location? It's supposed to be an "air industrial park" isn't it? This should mean direct taxiway access for some of the lots shouldn't it?

MonctonRad
Feb 18, 2012, 9:00 PM
A couple of tidbits from the GMPDC February meeting agenda:

- The city indeed seems to be moving forward with the Transportation Discovery Centre at the Moncton Museum. There are a number of requests for variances being made.....

- There is a request for variances for a "64 unit residential building" to be built at 1212 Mountain Road. This address is for the ex-church which currently houses Blondie's Bar, near NBCC. My guess is that this will be a four storey building with 16 units per floor and therefore would be similar to other apartment buildings already in the area.

- There are requests for variances for a residential building on Flanders Court. I would assume this will be built on the vacant lot behind the YMCA and just up the block from the new campus of Oulton's College.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Allow me to loosely associate here. It was recently announced that Target will partner with Starbucks in Canada. It is interesting to note that the Sony Store in the Northwest Centre is closing. This is immediately adjacent to the Zellers that will be converted to a Target. Perhaps Starbucks will move into the old Sony Store space. This way, they could keep a separate store front, yet still have a direct connection to the adjacent Target store.

Perhaps the reason why Sony Store is leaving is because their lease wasn't renewed.......

Makes sense to me.... :)

mylesmalley
Feb 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
That's the way it has been marketed, yes. And I'm not suggesting they can't. However at the moment, the current apron doesn't extend much beyond the end of the terminal. The only expansion plans I've heard coming from the airport are with regards to the runway extension. They certainly could build their own, but there's space available on the current one, so I'd expect them to want to snap that up first.

I suppose they could always try to use Midland's as well.

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:44 PM
What a beautiful sunny afternoon in Moncton. Perfect for taking some pics.

These were all taken earlier this afternoon. A few more posts to follow...

Hildegarde Plaza (Hildegarde and Mountain Road)

New store called Ana Banana. Looks like a baby/kids store perhaps. They are currently setting up inside.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6904147433_7095fc2b67.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6904145627_d661deba9a.jpg

Quizno’s (Lounsbury Centre) - opening date unknown

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/6904147887_cae153a061.jpg

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:45 PM
Sorry for so many pics but I wanted to capture a few different angles. I’m really looking forward to the spring so we can see more details of the development.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7194/6904148707_80f9391369.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7063/6904149051_1c19c0eed9.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7187/6904149421_2bc27d949e.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6904149787_808cefb732.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6904150291_b076851172.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6904150789_ba011f7f92.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6904151463_1195b8a641.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6904151843_4bfcb46468.jpg

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:47 PM
Old St Hubert’s location on Mountain Road - they finally made the building look like the sign. :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7205/6904152771_73d15e91a9.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6904152237_e55858968d.jpg

Future Site of Pro Oil Change (Mountain Road and Savoie Drive)

http://www.prooil.ca/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6904153701_25d7aef305.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6904155179_f5cb8516df.jpg

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:49 PM
Oulton College new campus under construction.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6904157801_9888b4743a.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7068/6904154139_b3b97bee44.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6904155579_8eaa9c6ea6.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6904156015_74ed32cc49.jpg

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:50 PM
Valmond Robichaud Apartment Development on Dominion Street

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6904158385_24dee84165.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6904159397_357ae4c275.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6904159859_97fa5db3b7.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/6904161309_6f2e29b4b2.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7183/6904161743_619c90b339.jpg

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 7:52 PM
New CIBC branch (Main Street and Wheeler Blvd)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6904162109_de8666536c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7198/6904162515_a9def0cee8.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6904163185_d4ccc21af6.jpg

Empire Theatre

This is what I am most excited for....Empire Extra. This will bring me back to Crystal Palace! :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7040/6904163509_218d4e4134.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6904163955_9ff5ff5282.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6904164373_e7d32c7f0a.jpg

NBNYer
Feb 19, 2012, 8:38 PM
Empire theatre looks great!

Is that a big screen mounted on the front facade of the building?

porchmouse
Feb 19, 2012, 8:57 PM
Empire theatre looks great!

Is that a big screen mounted on the front facade of the building?

Hmmm good question. I didn't even notice it when we were over there, granted we almost got creamed a few times in the parking lot, so I was quick when I was taking the pics. I'll take another look next time I am in the area.

MonctonRad
Feb 19, 2012, 9:17 PM

Yes, that indeed is a large electronic display sign. They were testing it out the other day.

emad
Feb 20, 2012, 2:05 PM

Yes, that indeed is a large electronic display sign. They were testing it out the other day.

Received an e-mail from Empire this morning, it's opening Feb. 29th :banana:

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 20, 2012, 4:10 PM
Received an e-mail from Empire this morning, it's opening Feb. 29th :banana:

Gee...can't cut it any closer to 'opening in February' can they?! :P

emad
Feb 20, 2012, 4:19 PM
Gee...can't cut it any closer to 'opening in February' can they?! :P

It's a good thing they had 29 days this year :rolleyes:

ballain
Feb 20, 2012, 9:47 PM
It's a good thing they had 29 days this year :rolleyes:

LOL taught the exact same thing :P

MonctonRad
Feb 21, 2012, 4:31 PM
From a mirror site of the "newspaper that shall not be named"...

First tender awarded for Discovery Centre

Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Times & Transcript

By: Brent Mazerolle

Contract for $1.34M awarded to Castle Rock Construction

The first tender has been awarded for the long-awaited Transportation Discovery Centre expansion to the Moncton Museum.

An idea first pitched in the 1990s as a rail museum by members of the local CN Pensioners Association, the first work is expected to begin this spring.

An initial tender worth $1.34 million was awarded by Moncton city council Monday night, with Castle Rock Construction the successful bidder. The motion passed unanimously with long-time councillors Merrill Henderson and Kathryn Barnes as the mover and seconder.

Henderson recognized many people, especially the pensioners, for their vision and determination to see through what had been first proposed by their member Mark Langis. 'The first meeting was held, I think, 13 years ago,' Henderson said.

Another council veteran, Pierre Boudreau, echoed Henderson.

'At times, it could have been easy to give up,' he said. 'I've never seen a more persistent group than the CN pensioners.' Councillor Daniel Bourgeois recalled how he as a municipal employee 11 years ago worked with then-councillor and later mayor Lorne Mitton on the file, along with citizens Greg Murphy and Webb Vance.

Barnes said the fundraising work of Mitton and businessmen Wes Armour and Reuben Cohen had been critical, and commended them for their efforts.

'This is a great day for all of us,' Barnes said.

The project will cost $9.3 million and the City of Moncton is contributing $6 million. Local MP Robert Goguen announced in October the federal government was providing $1.5 million toward the project.

Mayor George LeBlanc said recently they hope the province will commit $1 million to the project and the fundraising campaign is also contributing to the total cost.

The previous provincial government committed to the project but the money has so far not come from the current provincial government.

The Transportation Discovery Centre will be built in front of the museum, preserving its historic façade. Inside, visitors would find items from the city's rich transportation history, along with many hands-on exhibits. It would more than double the size of the 4,500-square-foot museum.

The external design of the structure will be done in glass in shapes that resemble both the sails of a ship and the cow-catcher of a steam locomotive, representing how Moncton's history and heritage are deeply linked to transportation. Inside, the centre is to feature galleries, a gift shop and interactive displays designed to help people of all ages learn about Moncton's history and transportation in general.

The upgraded museum will use the history of transportation as a way to look at how our society has evolved.

mmmatt
Feb 21, 2012, 7:54 PM
First tender awarded for Discovery Centre

Glad to see this project is going forward! This will completely re-define that area for sure :)

http://www.architecture2000.ca/a2000wp/wp-content/gallery/museum/2522-museumbill-zhou.jpg
source: architecture2000 (http://www.architecture2000.ca/fr/2010/05/moncton-museum-transportation-discovery-centre/)

Mattyyy
Feb 22, 2012, 1:05 PM
And the speculation continues...

Development
More downtown land on market

Times & Transcript Staff

22 Feb 2012 08:38AM

Two more potentially strategic properties on Main Street near Highfield Square will soon be vacant, fueling already rampant speculation that the downtown area is poised to become the site of a new events centre, convention centre, or possibly both.

The CIBC bank at 1141 Main St., near the corner of Weldon Street, will go on the market at the end of April when the branch moves into a brand new building next to the Real Atlantic Superstore mall, and now customers at the Coast Tire outlet next door are being told the car-repair shop’s operations there will end soon.

That means a stretch of Main Street frontage between Cameron and Weldon streets will be vacant in the coming weeks, directly across from Highfield Square, which will close in the fall. The announcement earlier this winter that the mall will close sparked rampant, heated speculation that it will be the future site of a significant downtown events centre, talk that only ramped up further when a prominent Vancouver developer announced it had purchased the entire block on the north side of Main Street comprising the Crowne Plaza Hotel and former Acadian bus lines terminal and everything in between the two, stretching from Highfield Street to Bonaccord Street.

The fate of the Coast Tire outlet is not yet known. For example, Coast Tire does not own the building and it isn’t known if the building has been sold, if it will be put on the market or if it will be used for other purposes.

The CIBC branch, a relatively new building, will be sold, CIBC confirms.

MonctonRad
Feb 22, 2012, 1:26 PM
I think our forum provided the source of this "rampant speculation"... :haha:

Yes, the rumour is that when the new CIBC opens on East Main that this branch would close.

Are you implying that there may be another large block of land being consolidated in the Highfield Square area? :)

Yet more proof that the T&T pays attention to us.

Mattyyy
Feb 22, 2012, 1:37 PM
I think our forum provided the source of this "rampant speculation"... :haha:

Yet more proof that the T&T pays attention to us.

Indeed that does seem to be true! I have also noticed in the paper this morning a notice of hearing in Fredericton for Moncton's borrowing requests for capital expenses this year. The city is requesting $2,000,000 for phase 1 for the Downtown Events Center..

mmmatt
Feb 22, 2012, 8:15 PM
Indeed that does seem to be true! I have also noticed in the paper this morning a notice of hearing in Fredericton for Moncton's borrowing requests for capital expenses this year. The city is requesting $2,000,000 for phase 1 for the Downtown Events Center..

Awesome! Could it be the money to buy the site of the future center perhaps?

mmmatt
Feb 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
On a side note I was looking over census data, and figured that if growth rates stay near what they were in this past census...Moncton will pass two goalposts in the next census...

- Our CMA ("metro") population will surpass PEIs population. Currently the CMA is at 138,600 and PEI is at 140,200, thats a difference of only 1,600. If growth rates stay the same the CMA would be 152,000 and PEI would be 144,700 by 2016. That leaves a lot of room for change...aka if PEIs growth rate sped from 3.2% to 5% and our growth rate dropped from 9.7% to 7%. In that case the CMA would be 148,300 and PEI would be 147,200 still reaching the goal of being more populous than a province! :P

- The CSD ("city") of Moncton will surpass Saint John to become the most populous "city" in NB. Right now Moncton is at 69,000 and Saint John is at 70,000, a difference of 1,000. If growth rates stay the same Moncton would be at 74,300 and Saint John would be at 72,100. We can also consider a change in growth rate: Moncton drops from 7.7% to 6.2% and SJ speeds from 3% to 4.5%. In that case Moncton would be at 73,280 and Saint John would be at 73,250.

A disclaimer: anything can happen in the span of 5 years, so by no means am I trying to say these milestones are "guaranteed"...just that they look likely.

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2012, 2:46 PM
Well, I see from the paper today that Louis Leger of DMCI is agitating again for on street parking on Main Street, and the resultant conversion of Main to a one-way thoroughfare (west to east) from Highfield to Lewis/Assumption.

The apologists at the T&T seem to be acting as cheerleaders for this enterprise. :koko:

This whole idea makes me so angry that it's hard for me to type without making mistakes!! :hell::hell::hell:

People, Main Street is the only direct east/west route through the downtown core!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine the traffic chaos that will be created by diverting east/west traffic to Queen Street between Lewis and Archibald!!! People will avoid downtown like the plague; I know I certainly will.

This will have the exact opposite effect that DMCI wants. They want on street parking in front of Main street businesses so that lazy patrons don't have to walk a half block. Instead, those lazy (and impatient) patrons will be so repelled by the traffic nightmare downtown that they'll end up going to the mall anyway!!!

The solution is not on street parking. The solution is to build a couple more (convenient) downtown parking garages!!!

The axis of Moncton is east/west. For this reason, it's important to maintain the major east/west arteries (Main, Assomption, St.George) in such a manner that it promotes efficient traffic flow!!

To do anything else is pure folly!!! :hell::hell::hell: What will happen when the events centre gets built? If you want to move 10,000 people out of the core after an event efficiently, wouldn't it be rather counterintuitive to have the principle thoroughfare a narrow one way street? STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!!

If DMCI wants to make some of the north/south connectors downtown one way, I guess that would be acceptable BUT please leave Main Street alone!!!

end of rant.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 23, 2012, 3:38 PM

Totally agree...

On a side note, the only thing I'd like to see is on the weekend in the summer that they close off Main St. to traffic from Friday at 6pm to Sunday at 6pm...from Church to Assumption. This would allow a lot more foot traffic on Main in the summer, vendor areas, patio expansions, etc.

Main as a one way is ludicrous...

Sushi Guy
Feb 23, 2012, 5:38 PM

I agree 100% with MonctonRad!!

If they are proposing it to go all the way to Highfield, imagine when there'll be a train going through. All the parallel routes for the opposite direction options of the one-way will be block (exception of Assumption and Mountain Rd)...

IMO, a ONE-WAY-MAIN is idiotic... :koko:

NBNYer
Feb 23, 2012, 5:54 PM

On a side note, the only thing I'd like to see is on the weekend in the summer that they close off Main St. to traffic from Friday at 6pm to Sunday at 6pm...from Church to Assumption. This would allow a lot more foot traffic on Main in the summer, vendor areas, patio expansions, etc.

I like this idea. Wasn't there talk about this last year?

Big crowds on Main are great whenever there is a festival/special occasion...it should be every week-end :banana:

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2012, 6:13 PM
If they are proposing it to go all the way to Highfield, imagine when there'll be a train going through. All the parallel routes for the opposite direction options of the one-way will be block

Extremely good point about the train. I hadn't thought about that. :tup:

Worst case scenario: Just imagine rush hour traffic diverted onto Queen Street and then - a 150 car freight train lumbers through the downtown core taking 10 minutes to pass......

It would take at least a half hour to clear the backlog of traffic!! :hell: In the meantime - absolute gridlock!!

All this so that Joe Blow can park his car right in front of Keating's and run in to pick up his pack of smokes without having to walk a half block! :rolleyes:

Pitiful, absolutely pitiful..... :(

theshark
Feb 23, 2012, 7:58 PM
of course we all know than walking more than a city block can be hazzardous to your heatlh! :sly:

I can't believe that they are still contemplating this idea!!! they will not solve anything by creating more street parking, it will only feed the expectation to the custommers that they will be able to park in front of the store and thus bring more cars downtown and create a traffic nightmare! Then people will circle and circle trying to find a spot. or like said earlier, avoid the downtown area completely.

But let me tell you what is going to happen, they will continue to ignore the people that will tell them it is not a good idea, then they will pay a ridiculous amount of money for a study that will tell them that this is one of the worst idea that they had and they will keep it quiet for 5 years and start all over again....

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2012, 9:07 PM
Below is the updated plan for the residential community at the Moncton G&CC that is going to be built by Clayton Developments:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202012/baa394b2.jpg

This plan has changed substantially from the initial proposal and no longer incorporates any courseside lots. I don't find this particularly inspiring but Clayton Developments does good work and this will be the first of a number of developments which will soon line Gunningsville Blvd and help to densify the eastern section of Riverview.

JHikka
Feb 23, 2012, 9:22 PM
I don't find this particularly inspiring but Clayton Developments does good work and this will be the first of a number of developments which will soon line Gunningsville Blvd and help to densify the eastern section of Riverview.

What are the other developments planned for Gunningsville?

MonctonRad
Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
What are the other developments planned for Gunningsville?

Sorry Greg, I didn't mean to imply that there were any new imminent announcements.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202012/04bdd267.jpg

You can see from the above plan that there will be a commercial node (red) at the corner of Gunninhsville Blvd and the future Bridgedale Blvd. Most of the rest of the land in the area is to be zoned residential (yellow). I predict strong residential growth in the area as the province will be building a new K-8 school (the green block of land off the Old Coach Road) just north of Bridgedale Blvd within the next two years. This school has already been announced.

mylesmalley
Feb 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
There's the new school there, for starters. If the past few openings have been any indication, that area will see a pretty massive flood of new residential construction as people try to get close by.

One thing I don't think has been brought up on the forum yet is the fact that Riverview has grown almost as far as it can southward within its current limits. The town's long term plans all show developments happening almost entirely in the Gunningsvill area, but I wonder if they'll start tossing the idea of annexing some land along Pine Glen Rd or out toward Lower Coverdale.

JHikka
Feb 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
That would be a lot of growth for Riverview if that were to all happen! I know that map had been posted before, and you did have me believing that there were imminent announcements re:Gunningsville Blvd. :haha:

What had gotten me excited was the prospect (I think Myles mentioned this) of a bridge being extended from Bridgedale over to the Dieppe side of the river.

mylesmalley
Feb 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
It'd be nice if they connected Old Coach Rd with Gunningsvill Blvd.

mmmatt
Feb 24, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mall update

- Marie Claire moved into former cards store
- Smart set moved into former Marie Claire while they renovate their store by the food court
- Booster Juice will open near Sobeys
- Pretzel Maker will open next to Booster Juice
- Former Roots is U/C (dunno what it is)
- Former Colpitts Mens Wear is U/C (Dunno what it is)
- Rumour that Sephoria Makeup will move in the mall (maybe where Colpitts was)

Currently all mall space is either occupied or U/C

MonctonRad
Feb 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Mall update

- Marie Claire moved into former cards store
- Smart set moved into former Marie Claire while they renovate their store by the food court
- Booster Juice will open near Sobeys
- Pretzel Maker will open next to Booster Juice
- Former Roots is U/C (dunno what it is)
- Former Colpitts Mens Wear is U/C (Dunno what it is)
- Rumour that Sephoria Makeup will move in the mall (maybe where Colpitts was)

Currently all mall space is either occupied or U/C

Thanks mmmatt

A couple of notes:

- I read the building permit on the former Roots store. Soft Moc is relocating there.
- I asked the manager at Colpitts what was going to replace them. He said that he wasn't at liberty to say but that it would be an upscale casual clothing retailer. Let the speculation begin. My favourite possibility would be Banana Republic. :)
- Interesting news about Sephora. Apparently Fossil is interested in Champlain Place as well.

I would say that the Additionelle relocation to Cassis is permanent. Smart Set however will move back into their old location. So, vacancies to be filled include the old Additionelle location, the old Marie Claire location and the current Soft Moc location. I imagine these will be filled by the summer.

Good2go
Feb 24, 2012, 2:15 PM
Hampton Inn to expand

TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The Hampton Inn and Suites on Mapleton Road may only be a few years old, but it's already expanding. The Greater Moncton Planning District Commission approved an application by Pascal Pisegna on behalf of D.P. Murphy Inc on Wednesday.

The company needed a variance to reduce the normal setback requirement between Northwood Road and the back of the hotel so that the hotel can add a one-storey convention facility on that side of the building.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 24, 2012, 2:44 PM
Below is the updated plan for the residential community at the Moncton G&CC that is going to be built by Clayton Developments:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202012/baa394b2.jpg

This plan has changed substantially from the initial proposal and no longer incorporates any courseside lots. I don't find this particularly inspiring but Clayton Developments does good work and this will be the first of a number of developments which will soon line Gunningsville Blvd and help to densify the eastern section of Riverview.

I find these developments so 'uninspired'...the go in cut down every tree, build row upon row of identical houses, plant a single sapling in front of each house in the hopes that it will grow, all the streets look the same, all the houses look the same, no vegetation, you can practically reach out your window and touch your neighbour's house...it's just boring and 'blech' if you ask me.

I understand it's about speed and financials, but I find these developments just a waste of space, and so bland...just my $0.02 :)

JL

NBNYer
Feb 24, 2012, 2:59 PM

No questions it's not the most exciting thing around. They have at least attempted to incorporate a bit more density. You can tell the lots are smaller than the existing lots next to them and there are some row houses and condo/apartments buildings. I agree trees are a big plus for a neighborhood, makes it so much more livable, but I guess keeping them is a pain during construction.

Odd that they drew in houses on the lots, is part of this development to be pre-built and sold off?

mylesmalley
Feb 24, 2012, 3:29 PM
Interesting about Hampton expanding. Maybe the casino is too pricey for smaller meetings?

As for the development in Riverview...

I find it funny that the two parts of it featuring higher density buildings (SE and E of the main development) will probably hold as many people as the entire rest of the development and with less than a fifth of the land. That said, it is encouraging to see that residential lots are starting to get smaller in new developments. People are going to continue buying single family lots in the burbs, but at least they can pack in a little tighter.

I'm no fan of clear and re-plant either. I wonder if it has to do with road construction though. If you put a road down, you have to remove the trees close to it because of their roots underneath. I don't know how far back you have to go, but I suppose if you're clearing that far back, it's just easier to do the space for where houses will go at the same time.

I do remember reading about somewhere down in the states that prohibited completely clearing old growth for subdivisions. If I remember correctly, you were allowed to clear 2x the footprint of your house for lawns and things, but then the rest of your lot had to remain treed.

MonctonRad
Feb 24, 2012, 5:31 PM
I find these developments so 'uninspired'...the go in cut down every tree, build row upon row of identical houses, plant a single sapling in front of each house in the hopes that it will grow, all the streets look the same, all the houses look the same, no vegetation, you can practically reach out your window and touch your neighbour's house...it's just boring and 'blech' if you ask me.

The houses do look crowded together, but that is an attempt to increase density and maximize utilization of the street footprint, This is what you would normally expect in newer subdivisions in Upper Canada.

If you look carefully at the plan though, it appears that there will be a buffer of trees left at the rear of the lots. Maybe they are compensating for narrowness by increasing the depth of the lots.

KnoxfordGuy
Feb 24, 2012, 7:31 PM
This is what you would normally expect in newer subdivisions in Upper Canada..

:previous: What is this 1850? ;)

MonctonRad
Feb 24, 2012, 7:47 PM

What, you never refer to Ontario as Upper Canada? :)

mylesmalley
Feb 24, 2012, 8:01 PM
What, you never refer to Ontario as Upper Canada? :)

I do it too. I think it fits their attitude toward the rest of Canada well :haha:

Get off my lawn!

mmmatt
Feb 24, 2012, 8:11 PM
Thanks mmmatt

A couple of notes:

- I read the building permit on the former Roots store. Soft Moc is relocating there.
- I asked the manager at Colpitts what was going to replace them. He said that he wasn't at liberty to say but that it would be an upscale casual clothing retailer. Let the speculation begin. My favourite possibility would be Banana Republic. :)
- Interesting news about Sephora. Apparently Fossil is interested in Champlain Place as well.

I would say that the Additionelle relocation to Cassis is permanent. Smart Set however will move back into their old location. So, vacancies to be filled include the old Additionelle location, the old Marie Claire location and the current Soft Moc location. I imagine these will be filled by the summer.

Good notes!

I would agree that the AddittionElle move into the former Cassis spot is permanent based on the way they set up their signage, however their former location is currently U/C so that leaves three options:

- AdditionElle is renovating and moving back
- SmartSet will expand into AdditionElles old space (unlikely, as it would be huge for them)
- A new store is taking AdditionElles slot (my personal favorite :))

SoftMoc moving to the Roots slot is a big step up for them, at least 2X bigger than their old slot. Their old slot is quite small...would be perfect for Fossil or Sephora (ps I had never heard of that store before, but the couple of women Ive mentioned it to basically went nuts with excitement so Im guessing it will be a hit :D)

Booster Juice and PretzelMaker opening up next to Sobeys will create a sort of a "mini food court" there...as there is already a seating area and a quick food counter in Sobeys.

Forgot to mention that MasterCuts took over the former Jean Raymond haircutting (out with the local, in with the national). And also Cleo near Wal-Mart has closed for renovation.

In case anyone was curious... Cassis closed all their stores and went out of business as a whole.

icetea93
Feb 24, 2012, 8:43 PM
I saw rumors of Sephora on Twitter last month; I think that it is a good bet to move into Champlain. Especially since it is a big hit in Halifax. It would require 4000-6000 sq. ft. most likely.

Banana Republic also seems like a good bet!

Fossil is opening soon in Halifax and they have expressed a desire for the Moncton market. They are usually small, 1000-2500 sq. ft.

mmmatt
Feb 24, 2012, 9:03 PM
I saw rumors of Sephora on Twitter last month; I think that it is a good bet to move into Champlain. Especially since it is a big hit in Halifax. It would require 4000-6000 sq. ft. most likely.

Banana Republic also seems like a good bet!

Fossil is opening soon in Halifax and they have expressed a desire for the Moncton market. They are usually small, 1000-2500 sq. ft.

Interesting...

Based on that info I will venture a guess that Sephora could occupy the former AddittionElle, and Fossil could occupy the former Marie Claire or SoftMoc spot.

RyeJay
Feb 25, 2012, 5:09 AM
I do it too. I think it fits their attitude toward the rest of Canada well :haha:

This is a cheap, untrue stereotype.

This is also the forum equivalent of talking about others behind their backs, because I doubt Ontarian attendance to the Moncton forum based on the fact that this is a skyscraper website.

You may return to your retail updates.

Renus
Feb 25, 2012, 5:43 AM
Interesting...

Based on that info I will venture a guess that Sephora could occupy the former AddittionElle, and Fossil could occupy the former Marie Claire or SoftMoc spot.

Seems like Pandora is also expanding to NB and opening in Champlain Place. They usually have a nice upper scale setup.

http://www.careerbeacon.com/search/en/-1/1,2,3,4/62/-1/0/-1/-1,-1I/-1/-1/50/3/MB1202248947

MonctonRad
Feb 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Seems like Pandora is also expanding to NB and opening in Champlain Place. They usually have a nice upper scale setup.

http://www.careerbeacon.com/search/en/-1/1,2,3,4/62/-1/0/-1/-1,-1I/-1/-1/50/3/MB1202248947

Good catch Renus, given the job posting for a store manager, it would seem that Pandora is definitely coming to Champlain.

Given other strong rumours such as Sephora and Fossil, it's pretty plain to see that Champlain Place is headed further upmarket.