PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Helladog
Jul 25, 2009, 2:54 AM
There's a possibility I may be offered a job at the Caledonia Industrial Park. What areas are best for a good and affordable 1-2 bedroom apt in the city? What should I expect to pay?

Any info would be appreciated...

mylesmalley
Jul 25, 2009, 3:52 AM
It really depends on what you're looking for amenities-wise. There are a lot of new apartments in the East End around McClaughlin Road, Morton Avenue and Elmwood Drive. It's not a bad area but it's a bit of a hike to most things. If you prefer being closer to downtown, St George street has some nice stuff as well. Even Mountain Road is pretty good if you want to be close to retail/food, but you certainly wouldn't be in walking distance to work.

In terms of price, Erick could probably tell you more about the East End, I would expect you'd probably pay in the 7-9 hundred range though, depending on quality/location etc.

mmmatt
Jul 25, 2009, 6:59 AM
I live near the coliseum and I pay about 600 a month for a 2 bedroom (power incl) the neighborhood isn't the fanciest but its nice enough. It all depends what you want, and there are deals to be had for sure. Check out Kijiji if you want some ideas, that's where I found mine :)

mylesmalley
Jul 25, 2009, 10:45 AM
New industrial lands come to Dieppe
Published Saturday July 25th, 2009

$72 million in infrastructure projects slated for New Brunswick
A7
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Three years of efforts will result in an extension of Aviation Avenue beyond the Greater Moncton International Airport, by about five kilometres, opening about 150 acres of land to industrial development.

With the Dieppe Industrial Park essentially full, it means a whole new phase of industrial development is about to start in the city. The mayor said shovels will go into the ground to start the extension very soon.

The announcement is one of several in the works as economic-stimulus and infrastructure-fund programs come to fruition, with $72 million in funding set to be announced for 31 other projects across the province.

Premier Shawn Graham and federal Minister of State for ACOA Keith Ashfield wouldn't go into details of those other projects but will save those details for later announcements in the communities in which the projects will happen.

"The investments we are making today will create jobs now during these tough economic times," Ashfield, a former provincial cabinet minister, said.

Graham said the investments will help his government's self-sufficiency agenda while enhancing communities all over the province.

"These investments will help spur jobs and ensure New Brunswick communities have quality infrastructure to protect the residents' health and wellness and the environment," Graham said, hinting that many of the coming announcements could pertain to water supplies and sewage treatment.

Besides stimulating the economy, the projects that have been selected are designed to support economic growth and protect the environment.

In the case of the Aviation Avenue extension, Dieppe for years has yearned to see development on landlocked properties it owns northeast of the airport.

The road extension will allow that to happen at a key time; just as the nearby industrial park is running out of available lots.

The road extension will run parallel to Route 15, also known as Veterans' Highway, towards the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 2).

LeBlanc said one company plans to move onto the newly opened lands as soon as they can gain road access to it, and others are seriously considering it.

Terry Malley, CEO of Malley Industries which is a world leader in creating specialty vehicles such as ambulances, is considering expanding there.

Malley called the opening of the new properties "the next frontier" in the industrial park's development.

The effect on Dieppe can't be overstated, LeBlanc added, as the newly available land will see new businesses flock to the city and existing ones expand, broadening the city's tax base.

The properties are strategically located: within sight of a rail line, key land-transportation links such as the Trans-Canada, Route 15 and the airport as well.

CEO says business opportunities lost due to bizarre transportation layout
A1
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

The planned $5.7-million extension of Dieppe's Aviation Boulevard beyond the Greater Moncton International Airport is the city's priority, not an overpass link to Highway 15, Dieppe Mayor Jean LeBlanc said yesterday.

The mayor was on hand for the funding announcement for the Aviation Boulevard project, which will open up 150 acres of land for industrial development.

But airport CEO Rob Robichaud says the lack of direct access to Highway 15 (Veterans Highway) is costing them business.

"We've lost four businesses that would have set up here," Robichaud says of the lack of an overpass to Highway 15 that forces traffic leaving the airport to head towards Shediac even if they want to go towards Metro Moncton, and traffic coming to the airport from the west to bypass it and follow city streets, including the very congested Dieppe Boulevard, to reach the facility.

An overpass remains a priority of those charged with overseeing the airport's growth and to businesses hoping to set up near this key cog in Metro's economic machine.

"Businesses find it very difficult to get in and out of that area today," Robichaud says of the area in front of the airport, where the four-lane highway is the region's land-transportation catapult to markets west of New Brunswick and in the United States.

But Dieppe's mayor notes that yesterday's announced extension to Aviation Avenue, the city street that runs right in front of the airport, means that street will now stretch parallel to Veterans' Highway and ever closer to Highway 2 (the Trans-Canada Highway), which presumably it will eventually link to.

While LeBlanc doesn't say that's where the main entrance to the airport should be, he cites it as one possibility, noting there is no reason why an overpass must be built directly in front of the airport when other options are available, particularly considering the high cost of such a structure.

As well, he notes, an overpass at Highway 15 would need the agreement of many parties, as the province owns the highway and a number of parties own land across Highway 15 from the airport, which would also be affected. And Dieppe views the issue of an airport overpass as one involving all three Metro Moncton communities, not just Dieppe.

For Dieppe, LeBlanc says, opening up another 150 acres of industrial land near the airport is "the" priority, not an airport overpass.

Complicating matters, an at-grade railway crossing across the on-ramp leading from the airport to Highway 15 presents engineering challenges for any potential overpass at that location.

Robichaud readily acknowledges that, but cites the importance of the structure as almost on a par with the airport's top priority, which is a runway extension.

The veteran airport manager also notes that having the main entrance to the airport lead through an industrial park, which is what Aviation Avenue will cater to, is less than pleasing aesthetically for airport users, and less than the safest option given the large number of big trucks that will be coming and going.

Ask any business already set up near the airport or eyeing the location for a new facility, and they will tell you that an overpass directly onto Highway 15 is their preferred option, Robichaud insists.

Malley Industries is one of Canada's largest ambulance and specialty-vehicle builders, serving markets in many parts of the world from their location near the airport. President and CEO Terry Malley is all for an overpass as one of the ways to build business at the airport.

"It would be great to have an overpass there for further development of the airport," he says.

The extension of Aviation Avenue will spur the development of industrial land for development, and perhaps that new business activity will spur the need for the overpass, Malley hopes.

Premier Shawn Graham says the same thing -- with new businesses expected to move onto the newly opened parcels of land on the extension of Aviation Avenue, a stronger business case could be made for an overpass. Graham also notes there is a new access being built just 10 kilometres up Highway 15, solely to serve the Scoudouc Industrial Park via a new direct access to the four-lane highway.

"We can't do them all overnight," Graham says.

Peter Belliveau, manager of Moncton Industrial Estates which operates Caledonia Industrial Estates, says the business case -- not to mention the convenience factor -- of the proposed interchange is clear.

"Let's face it," Belliveau says. "You're driving up, down and all around, in and out, trying to get to it, yet you can see it from the highway.

"It's sitting right there."

As well, an interchange would open land across Highway 15 for possibly further industrial development.

"The potential would be huge."

mylesmalley
Jul 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
While I agree that the airport does need better access, and that the traffic at Dieppe Blvd can be very bad at rush hour, I think the city and province made the right decision. (Granted, I'm biased, as my father's company is planning a major expansion into the area). The important point is that, while the airport has poor access, the industrial park is full. If Dieppe (and the region) hope to further grow the tax base, every effort should be made to entice businesses to move to the are.

And while it's always been a big priority for the airport authority, I don't think it's ever been all that high up on the city and province's lists. However, the increased demand from the extra industrial traffic will certainly help their case in the coming years.

MonctonRad
Jul 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
To me, an interchange off the 15 directly in front of the airport terminal is a no brainer. It should have been constructed at the same time as the terminal itself! Yet another example of the embarrassing half measures that our provincial government often undertakes.

The main barrier to the project (aside from financial) would appear to be that peculiar "at grade" rail crossing on the 15 just in front of the terminal. This would certainly cause some engineering problems! Is there any possibility that this could be relocated?.........Just a thought.

MonctonRad
Jul 25, 2009, 1:01 PM
Mt.A gets $4.3-million upgrade
Published Saturday July 25th, 2009

Minister of State on campus to view federal funding at work
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The science and research facilities at Mount Allison University will be getting a $4.3-million upgrade thanks to dual funding provided by the federal and provincial governments.

Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Science and Technology), was on campus yesterday to announce his government's $2.1 million investment through their Knowledge Infrastructure Program.

The provincial government matched the funding with an additional $2.2 million, providing a total $4.3 million.

The funding will go directly to improving the Barclay Chemistry and Biochemistry Building's teaching and research spaces.

"The improvements to our Barclay Building will reinvigorate our research, teaching and learning spaces and inspire scientific creativity, while reducing our environmental footprint. This will extend our students' research collaboration with our faculty, producing innovations, discoveries and well-trained, experienced graduates who will go on to make important contributions to Canada's economy and society," said Dr. Robert Campbell, president and vice-chancellor of Mount Allison University.

The funding was part of the Knowledge Infrastructure Program, which is under the federal government's Economic Action Plan.

The government will distribute $2 billion to post-secondary institutions across the country to improve infrastructure in laboratories and research facilities.

"This is where the inventions and discoveries that we will make in our factories and sell to the world and ultimately be competitive and prosperous as a nation start," said Goodyear. "At the post-secondary education level and it moves right to the science and technology field and out to the floors of our factories and then into the living rooms and hospitals of the world."

gehrhardt
Jul 25, 2009, 1:53 PM
There's a possibility I may be offered a job at the Caledonia Industrial Park. What areas are best for a good and affordable 1-2 bedroom apt in the city? What should I expect to pay?

If by any chance you want to take the bus to Caledonia, forget it. There's the morning bus and the evening bus. That's it. I work out there and had to have my car serviced downtown one day. I had to catch th bus at Highfield really early. It was the only option.

There are some nice buildings close to the park on Elmwood, but there are also some pretty shady looking ones.

MonctonRad
Jul 25, 2009, 3:04 PM

Apartment buildings in Moncton are scattered all over the metropolitan area, and tend to be small or medium sized, vinyl sided and rarely over four stories in height (there are of course exceptions). The greatest concentrations of relatively larger buildings are around Mill Road, Lewisville Road, the west end of downtown Moncton especially around Cameron Street, and in downtown Dieppe. I believe the pricing is as stated above in other posts.

For my money, there is a large apartment development on Mapleton Road, between the old K-Mart and the Costco which I think would be a good bet. The precise name escapes me (Mapleton Estates perhaps?), but you can't miss it if you are driving down Mapleton. The complex looks well maintained and I believe the clientele is good. It is close to the Mapleton Power Centre, and there is a Co-op grocery store in the old K-Mart. There is abundant surface parking and access to Caledonia would be relatively quick (~10 min.) on either rte. 2 or rte. 15

Edit- The development is called Mapleton Village, with the largest apt. bldg. called "Chateau Mapleton". Also, "Eagle Ridge" off of West Main St. is a nice looking building.

StormShadow
Jul 25, 2009, 9:58 PM
just look at a map of downtown moncton...if you can't find enough parking within a 5-10 minute walk of a new stadium behind assumption place, you're not looking very hard. there is plenty of parking, and if it really becomes a premium, somebody will try to capitalize on that and build additional parking.

just go look for yourself at the amount of parking lots around the possible arena site, then compare it to the existing parking lot of the coliseum......way more downtown!

These guys in Moncton are spoiled, though :). They are used to being able to park right there, at the door. Even Cowtown is like that.

I'm not disagreeing, that there is not enough parking already in downtown Moncton to support the arena. It's the perception that there is not enough parking downtown, that factors into a market that relies heavily on walk-up sales.

It's going to be interesting to see how the mayor's club interprets the report.

Helladog
Jul 25, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thx everyone for all the input. I'll have a car, and right now I live in the uptown area of SJ. I'm a downtown type of person, so that area may appeal to me as well as Mountain Road. I'm not too fussy, but don't want a dive since I'll have my son with me on days off.

Apartment buildings in Moncton are scattered all over the metropolitan area, and tend to be small or medium sized, vinyl sided and rarely over four stories in height (there are of course exceptions). The greatest concentrations of relatively larger buildings are around Mill Road, Lewisville Road, the west end of downtown Moncton especially around Cameron Street, and in downtown Dieppe. I believe the pricing is as stated above in other posts.

For my money, there is a large apartment development on Mapleton Road, between the old K-Mart and the Costco which I think would be a good bet. The precise name escapes me (Mapleton Estates perhaps?), but you can't miss it if you are driving down Mapleton. The complex looks well maintained and I believe the clientele is good. It is close to the Mapleton Power Centre, and there is a Co-op grocery store in the old K-Mart. There is abundant surface parking and access to Caledonia would be relatively quick (~10 min.) on either rte. 2 or rte. 15

Edit- The development is called Mapleton Village, with the largest apt. bldg. called "Chateau Mapleton". Also, "Eagle Ridge" off of West Main St. is a nice looking building.

gehrhardt
Jul 26, 2009, 12:13 AM
A word of advice, though... Avoid Riverview. Not to knock Riverview as it is a nice place, but if you do work in Caledonia, the drive there and back is nuts. I work with people who live in Riverview. It takes me less time in the morning to get to work than them, and I live in Salisbury. :haha:

mmmatt
Jul 26, 2009, 7:31 AM
Colour for the page

Skyline (the new marriott is a welcome addition to this angle :))
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/3727611086_8c01e2e311_b.jpg
credit: DrgnMastr on Flickr

New Courthouse (taken July 23)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2488/3750385423_57731b2486_b.jpg
Credit: Phil 5 on Flickr

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 27, 2009, 4:17 AM
A couple comments about some things going on.

1. Why is there even an at grade rail crossing by the airport anyway. I have NEVER seen a train using it. Like is it REALLY that big of a priority to be able to put stuff on a train right at your business, when realistically, trains have the smallest factor in the transportation market. So why not, remove the at grade crossing on the 15, and hence the at grade crossing on Route 2 and also what would be a barrier for development on the north side of the 15. Then build an interchange there, someone will open a tim's and we'll get some development going out there.

2. Also, not living in Moncton, I am having a hard time knowing where all the downtown site are. Could someone make a map and add in the following locations:
The Beaver Lumber Lot, The New Courthouse, The Old Jail, the New Call Center and any other potential Arena sites, street names, or inportant buildings that would help me.

3. Could someone also explain where the new north end School is going, and where the land is that the Moncton Industrial Development is expanding into.

mylesmalley
Jul 27, 2009, 10:56 AM

1. Why is there even an at grade rail crossing by the airport anyway. I have NEVER seen a train using it. Like is it REALLY that big of a priority to be able to put stuff on a train right at your business, when realistically, trains have the smallest factor in the transportation market. So why not, remove the at grade crossing on the 15, and hence the at grade crossing on Route 2 and also what would be a barrier for development on the north side of the 15. Then build an interchange there, someone will open a tim's and we'll get some development going out there.

2. Also, not living in Moncton, I am having a hard time knowing where all the downtown site are. Could someone make a map and add in the following locations:
The Beaver Lumber Lot, The New Courthouse, The Old Jail, the New Call Center and any other potential Arena sites, street names, or inportant buildings that would help me.

3. Could someone also explain where the new north end School is going, and where the land is that the Moncton Industrial Development is expanding into.

Most of the things you've mentioned are on my project map. There's a link to it in my signature. I'll add the other lots for reference today if I get a chance.

As for rail. Rail transport is, unfortunately, at the bottom of everyone's list at the moment. However, with projects like the inland port, and the expansion to the Dieppe Industrial park, and the future plans of the airport, having some rail access to the area will be invaluable. You're right about the foolishness of an at-grade intersection though. I've been told that Moncton has the only two at-grade rail crossings on freeways in Canada.

The barrier to developing the land on the north side of route 15 are many at the moment. high cost of servicing the land, large number of property owners, lack of transportation infrastructure, availability of cheaper land elsewhere, and the complexities of getting moncton and dieppe to work together on something. not gonna happen for a while.

Sony500
Jul 27, 2009, 2:50 PM

1. Why is there even an at grade rail crossing by the airport anyway. I have NEVER seen a train using it. Like is it REALLY that big of a priority to be able to put stuff on a train right at your business, when realistically, trains have the smallest factor in the transportation market.

Those crossings are being used, its mostly at night time. I have seen the train a few times where I do a lot of driving around in the Caledonia Park at night.

mylesmalley
Jul 27, 2009, 3:41 PM
And the spur by the airport is used 3 or 4 times a week to service Majesta and Master Packaging.

MonctonRad
Jul 27, 2009, 3:51 PM
. I've been told that Moncton has the only two at-grade rail crossings on freeways in Canada.

There is actually one other at grade rail crossing on the TCH that I know of......I drove to Ottawa for Canada Day and was surprised to find one on the Autoroute 20 just east of Montreal, near Ste. Hyacinthe.

MonctonRad
Jul 27, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dieppe offers peek at new aquatic centre
Published Monday July 27th, 2009

New facility features three pools, facilities for all abilities
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

When the $16-million Dieppe Aquatic and Sport Centre opens its doors sometime in mid-September, members and visitors will be struck first of all by the building itself, where it seems nothing is created at 90-degree angles.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=335886&size=800x0
Photo RON WARD

The new Dieppe Aquatic Centre will open in September. Windows get bigger, or smaller, as they run along walls. Corridors grow narrower, or wider, as you walk along them.

It hints at the whimsy that swimmers will find inside: a pirate ship with water cannons that kids can use to squirt water at each other, a big spiralling water slide, a Tarzan swing and a tiny-tots' water slide, to name a few of the amenities.

"It's very, very unique," centre manager Luc Bujold says during a preview tour.

Work continues at a great pace on the facility that features accesses from both Pascal Street and Aquatique Street, which is near the new Co-Op store. The city's extensive trail network leads to its front doors as well, where cyclists will find the city's first municipally-owned bicycle lockers.

The building's entrance is awash in sunlight, as is the pool area.

"It was designed to give a lot of natural light, with a lot of windows," Bujold says.

As you enter the centre from the north side, you are greeted by a 70-inch digital screen promoting various local happenings, while a similar 42-inch screen in the front desk displays the centre's schedule.

Staff greet you at a large front counter, where you pay your admission fee, and direct you to the change rooms, which are on the west side of the building. The change rooms were designed to accommodate all types of people, from babies, to those who use wheelchairs to get around, to entire families.

There are three change rooms: men's, women's and families', complete with private locker rooms and showers. One even features a private changing area with a table that folds down from the wall and that can be lowered and raised to accommodate those whose mobility problems require them to lie down in order to change into their swimsuit.

That, in turn, hints at the accessibility features of the aquatic centre, where everything is built to accommodate those who might have trouble getting around, from the very old to the very young to those who require mobility aids, and that includes the programs and the three pools themselves, where you can get into the water using a special device that lowers you in, if you can't manage pool ladders.

Even Dieppe's newest residents can enjoy the pools, with programs for parents and toddlers who can't even walk yet, with floating apparatuses featuring built-in baby seats that let the tiniest of young'uns take part in the fun.

There's also a large sauna with a separate shower at bathers' disposal.

If moms and dads just want to keep an eye on their children playing in the water, they can relax in a glassed-in viewing area with wireless Internet access and four vending machines, all of which will offer only healthy foods.

"No chips. No chocolate bars. No pop. I'm sure we're going to get complaints," Bujold laughs.

From there, you get a clear view of the large six-lane 25-metre pool that features a Tarzan swing, as well as the two-lane lap pool and the kiddies' play pool, which is gradually sloped and features a pirate ship with water cannons, a giant mushroom that showers water onto kids at play, a small slide and much bigger circular slide.

If mom and dad would rather keep a closer eye on their little ones, they can sit in the water while water jets massage their backs.

The area of the three pools is bathed in natural lights with ample night lighting, features plants here and there and access to an outdoor fenced terrace, for sunbathing or barbecuing.

The stainless steel pool will feature salt water, gentler on the skin and easier to tolerate for those who are sensitive to chlorine. In the middle of it all is a glassed-in lifeguard station, with its own bathrooms, change rooms, showers and sound system.

If you're planning a birthday party, a separate room can accommodate up to 22 children and parents.

A slate of programs has been drawn up, with regularly scheduled lap swimming, public swims, teen swims, kids swims (ages 5 to 14) and preschool swimming (ages 18 months to five years.)

The opening date for the facility will be announced soon.

MonctonRad
Jul 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
Infrastructure upgrades to start at NBCC Moncton
July 27, 2009 - 2:06 pm
By: News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, N.B. - The first in a series of upgrades at NBCC's Moncton campus are about to get underway.

Tenders have been awarded for work on the college's roof and replacement of windows, as well as demolition for an addition to the existing building.

Other improvements will see a new storage building and a parking lot to accommodate the increased number of students who will attend the school.

A total of $20 million worth of infrastructure upgrades are planned for the Moncton campus.

Completion of the work is scheduled for spring of 2011.

mylesmalley
Jul 28, 2009, 2:29 AM
Should make for quite the expansion.

ErickMontreal
Jul 28, 2009, 3:24 AM
Myself and Myles took some pics of some projects around the town after work today :

Moncton - July 27

:: Stelor Holdings Inc Development - Eight Story Apartment Building ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/002.jpg?t=1248746638

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/001.jpg?t=1248746524

:: Dr Mcmanaman Complex ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/003.jpg?t=1248746227

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/008.jpg?t=1248746347

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/005.jpg?t=1248746378

:: Mapleton Power Center ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/007.jpg?t=1248746416

:: Mapleton Road ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/006.jpg?t=1248746489

:: New-Brunswick Casino ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/009.jpg?t=1248746775

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/012.jpg?t=1248746959

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/013.jpg?t=1248747220

:: Stade de l'Université de Moncton Stadium ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/016.jpg?t=1248747420

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/018.jpg?t=1248747530

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/019.jpg?t=1248747749

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/020.jpg?t=1248747911

:: Université de Moncton - Aréna J.-Louis Robichaud ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/022.jpg?t=1248748029

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/023.jpg?t=1248748144

:: Ashford Office - Downtown ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/024.jpg?t=1248748183

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/029.jpg?t=1248748306

:: Federal Office - Downtown ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/025.jpg?t=1248748475

:: Moncton Courthouse - Downtown :: (Took through the fence)
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/031.jpg?t=1248748983

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/030.jpg?t=1248749020

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/032.jpg?t=1248749048

:: Shediac Road/Harrisville Blvd Strip Mall ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/046.jpg?t=1248749137

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/045.jpg?t=1248749287

:: Uptown Dieppe ::

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/040.jpg?t=1248749868

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/042.jpg?t=1248749504

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/041.jpg?t=1248749389

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/039.jpg?t=1248750005

:: Dieppe - Place BeauSoleil ::
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/036.jpg?t=1248750210

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/034.jpg?t=1248750342

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/035.jpg?t=1248750427

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/038.jpg?t=1248750568

:: Dieppe Downtown - For Sale :: - Are there any developers out here ? :D
http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy243/ErickMontreal/047.jpg?t=1248750694

mylesmalley
Jul 28, 2009, 3:30 AM
nice job, erick.

i'm amazed those picks i took of the casino while you drove by turned out as good as they did.

ErickMontreal
Jul 28, 2009, 3:35 AM
i'm amazed those picks i took of the casino while you drove by turned out as good as they did.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I uploaded those, awesome outcome ! :tup:

MonctonRad
Jul 28, 2009, 10:48 AM
Nice pics!!

I find the casino project so large, that it is difficult to take it all in with a single photograph. Probably the best way to do it is with a telephoto lens from Front Mountain Road or some thing like that. :tup:

JHikka
Jul 28, 2009, 1:16 PM
Great photographs. I didn't know there were so many projects currently ongoing in Moncton.

Jerry556
Jul 28, 2009, 6:29 PM
that courthouse foundation is so complex, its hard to say when they will start the actually steel framing.

D3nZ
Jul 28, 2009, 7:35 PM
Doesn't look like the outdoor stadium will be attached to the CEPS as I first thought it would be. It's nice to see so much stuff going on, now I just need to find a job in my field and move there.

MonctonRad
Jul 28, 2009, 10:58 PM
:previous:

The bleachers that Erick and Myles took pictures of are on the opposite side of the field from the CEPS. The footings in the foreground are for the (larger) bleachers along the side of the CEPS and yes, there will be a physical connection between the CEPS and the bleachers on this side. :tup:

MonctonRad
Jul 29, 2009, 1:11 AM
Riverview tops list
Published Tuesday July 28th, 2009

Moncton High School falls to third on council's priority list
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

A new Kindergarten-to-Grade 8 school for east Riverview will be School District 2 Education Council's top priority for major projects for the 2009-2010 year, the DEC decided last night.

Massive renovations or a completely new Moncton High School falls to number three on the priority list, with DEC members acknowledging that even under a best-case scenario, nothing can happen with the MHS issue this fiscal year, while a new Riverview school is ready to go today, pending funding.

Bernice MacNaughton High School lands in second place on the priority list.

Riverview parent Lana Hansen was delighted by the news.

"I'm just thrilled. I've been on nerves' edge the last few days," she said outside last night's meeting.

Gunningsville School has six actual classrooms, but 10 portables outside to cater to children in one of the fastest growing neighbourhoods in Metro Moncton, which is seeing new homes being sold faster than they can be built.

There's no gym, no cafeteria, inadequate bathrooms and not enough space to host programs and classes that children in other schools can take for granted, she said.

It now falls to the province to fund the new school, which was first promised about 30 years ago -- so long ago that some parents who spent their school years in Gunningsville's portable classrooms now see their own children attending the same school -- still in portables.

There is wide speculation that a public-private partnership will be sought to have the school built quickly, with minimal cost to the province at the outset. The Town of Riverview has vowed to pitch in as well, donating the land for the school and promising to partner with the school to build and maintain sports or other facilities.

"I'll be writing a nice letter to the province asking the minister to please, please support our new school," Hansen said.

Mayor Clarence Sweetland was one of four Riverview council members at last night's meeting.

"There's an obvious need there," Sweetland said.

DEC chairman Harry Doyle stressed "there are no winners or losers here."

The MHS issue was so controversial because the DEC received a $48-million estimate of the cost to bring it up to par, which is enough money to build two or more brand new schools. And if a new school is to be built, there is much debate surrounding where the best place to build it would be. The striking sandstone structure's historic and emotional value had many local residents clamouring for it to be saved at all costs.

Both the DEC and local MLAs have vowed to consult the public extensively on what should happen to the venerable structure, one of the few remaining examples of "collegiate Gothic" architecture in New Brunswick.

The DEC got that process underway last night, saying they'll petition the province to pay for a facilitator from outside Moncton, to ensure impartiality, to gather public input on the building's fate.

With all of that making it clear there is no hope of any major work getting underway in the coming 12 months on MHS, the DEC decided to push the Riverview school to the top of the list in the hope that the province will fund a project that can provide quick dividends to a large number of schoolchildren in a relatively short amount of time.

BMHS was placed second on the list as the school has never been completed, requires extensive renovations and its major entrance is perilously close to the on-ramp to busy Wheeler Boulevard, which is considered a safety issue.

Personal note.........I think this is quite good news. Region 2 usually gets it's number one priority item in the capital projects list dealt with every year. Last year, it was the new school for north end Moncton. I think there are pretty good odds that this year, the new school for East Riverview will get the go ahead. :tup:

mmmatt
Jul 29, 2009, 5:52 AM
Nice pics guys! There is so much going on its hard to keep up to date on everything (not that its a bad thing :)) Cant wait til they get a crane on the courthouse and Robichauld gets going with his stuff (although that may be next summer).

D3nZ
Jul 29, 2009, 7:16 PM

The bleachers that Erick and Myles took pictures of are on the opposite side of the field from the CEPS. The footings in the foreground are for the (larger) bleachers along the side of the CEPS and yes, there will be a physical connection between the CEPS and the bleachers on this side. :tup:

Yeah I know, but there seems to be quite a gap between the ciment blocks that will become the 2nd set of stange with the press box and the CEPS. I know that the bleachers that are almost complete are on the opposite side of the CEPS probably just minor details are missing like the seats and under bleachers development.

MonctonRad
Jul 31, 2009, 2:13 AM
Museum opens new exhibit
Published Thursday July 30th, 2009

Province's leading architecture expert to speak at event, calls Moncton High best school building in Eastern Canada
BY GREG WESTON
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Building buffs and architectural amateurs alike will have a chance to learn more about New Brunswick's architectural history and Moncton's role within it as the province's leading expert on the subject drops into the Moncton Museum today.

John Leroux, a Fredericton-based architect and art historian, will speak at the museum to officially open the Building New Brunswick exhibition. The author of a 2008 book of the same title, Leroux will make his presentation at 5 p.m. and the museum will remain open until 7 p.m. for guests to enjoy the show, refreshments and musical entertainment.

"Probably the best late-20th century architecture in New Brunswick is in Moncton. They've got some really special buildings," Leroux says of the Hub City, where most buildings are a little younger than in Fredericton or Saint John.

"The town really wasn't founded until (the late 19th century), it was still a young city. So most of the good, important stuff in Moncton is early- to mid-20th century."

From birch-bark wigwams to the steel-and-glass creations of today, Leroux's presentation will cover the past 500 years of architecture in the province. He will highlight several Metro buildings as examples, including the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de l'Assomption on St. George Boulevard, the Greater Moncton International Airport in Dieppe and the Blue Cross Centre in downtown Moncton, which his book says is "possibly one of the finest interior spaces built in New Brunswick since the middle of the 20th century."

Also included in the presentation is Moncton High School, a building which at the centre of an extended debate regarding its preservation.
"It deserves to get saved," Leroux says. "It's the best school building in the province, probably the best in Eastern Canada. I would say it's Moncton's greatest building."

The display itself features more than 200 photographs of New Brunswick's churches, train stations and historic homes, as well as many simple farmhouses dating back to the 1700s. Leroux captured about half the images himself, with the remainder coming from other photographers and archival collections. The pictures are mounted on basic sheets of plywood, on frames made of wooden two-by-fours that add to the exhibit's architectural theme.

"It's almost like you're on a construction site," says Danielle Boucher, the City of Moncton's community development officer for heritage. "It's like the skeleton of a house or a chapel. It really gives you that impression that you're in architecture, looking at architecture. You're really immersed."

Boucher says the photos can help the viewer see everyday buildings in a new light.

"It's a photographic look at things we usually live through. You're getting an artistic perspective of something that you usually have a human perspective of," she says.

Leroux says he wanted to take the photographs and search through archives to help develop an appreciation for the province's architecture.

"That's exactly what I wanted to do with this. I'm not going to necessarily change the world, but I just want people to look at the beauty around them in a different way and think 'maybe there is something special about that.'"

The Building New Brunswick exhibition will be on display at the Moncton Museum until Sept. 6. Admission is by donation.

StormShadow
Aug 2, 2009, 2:52 PM
The "Bird's Eye" feature has been activated on Bing maps for Moncton. I'm not sure when they did this, but I noticed it for the first time today. For those not familiar, it is an aerial view on a 45 degree angle, that can be manipulated 360 degrees. Very cool feature, much better than a basic aerial view.

kirjtc2
Aug 2, 2009, 3:28 PM
The "Bird's Eye" feature has been activated on Bing maps for Moncton. I'm not sure when they did this, but I noticed it for the first time today. For those not familiar, it is an aerial view on a 45 degree angle, that can be manipulated 360 degrees. Very cool feature, much better than a basic aerial view.

Looks like Saint John and Fredericton have been added too.

MonctonRad
Aug 2, 2009, 6:07 PM

Very nice........it appears that the images are only about 12-15 months out of date.

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 2, 2009, 10:18 PM
Very nice........it appears that the images are only about 12-15 months out of date.

Is that more or less than you expected?

BlackYear
Aug 3, 2009, 11:46 PM
Pics from Monday August 3rd.

University of Moncton track. I believe the left hand side construction will house the media gallery and press boxes, which will almost be as high as the CEPS building. I also believe there a tunnel which will run from the track under the media/press boxes and into the CEPS building.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/umtrack.jpg

Once the summer games ends in 2010, this facility will be great for summer concerts.

BlackYear
Aug 3, 2009, 11:52 PM
Here's a couple of shots of the casino. Pics taken on Monday Aug. 3rd.

This view is from the upper Mt-Rd.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/casinotop.jpg

This view is from the front casino parking lot.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/casinolot.jpg

This view from the main entrance of the casino. Notice the staircase in the lighthouse.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/casinoentrance.jpg

MonctonRad
Aug 4, 2009, 1:38 AM
Excellent pics of the casino Budyser!!!!! The best yet. :tup:

mylesmalley
Aug 4, 2009, 1:51 AM
Great job, Budyser! looks like things are really coming together with our new entertainment venues.

Britishbulldog
Aug 4, 2009, 2:57 AM
Sorry Britishbulldog! Turns out it's harder to read compound words when you've had a few too many down at the Pump House.

I had the Pump House crew with me at the Celtic games entertainment tent at MacNaughton sports field. They were a fantastic bunch!

It's all good !!

What is the make up of the posters here?? Developers? Commercial property owners? Concerned citizens?

After being a resident here for 40 years I have began taking an interest in how we are doing as a city and where we are going.

mylesmalley
Aug 4, 2009, 3:30 AM
The vast majority of us are concerned citizens. Career-wise, we seem to run the gamut from student to doctor. A few, such as @Champlain are commercial property owners, JRocca on the Saint John board is a pretty big name in the development arena, and others.

I know we've done a list of the Moncton board but I dont' know if we've ever had a poll of what everyone does for the Atlantic Canada section.

In general though, it's pretty safe to say we're all urban-minded individuals fascinated by cities and their development.

Britishbulldog
Aug 4, 2009, 4:55 PM
I am interested in what we will be doing with the streets here in Moncton. We are getting more and more cars in our city.

Access on and off of Wheeler Blvd is a bad thing at EVERY exit. I don't know if the Killam Drive exits can ever be fixed as a clover leaf because of the train tracks. The Mountain Rd exits should be fixed as well. The way it is now there is too many traffic lights in a row.

I would suspect that the old Ryan rd has plenty of room to get off heading east (south??) on Mountain Rd and a clover leaf to head east on to 15, the other side by Wonder Muffler has plenty of room to put a clover leaf in, and across from it I would exit onto Trinity Drive near Old Navy rather than directly onto Mountain rd with a traffic light (200ft before a traffic light and 500 ft after a 3rd set of traffic lights) as it is now.

The problem is the little strip mall on the 4th corner. It is so hard to get into and out of that I don't even order pizza there anymore. That corner would need the East exit off the 15 for drivers heading north on Mountain rd. Currently we have the 2 exit lanes to head north but only a few cars get through per light change bottle-necking traffic on the exit anyway.

Here is a view from above of the Mountain Rd/Wheeler Blvd junction. (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=46.111988~-64.83485&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

The other question is what is Moncton doing with the Milner/Centennial Rd/Grand Trunk St/Russ Howard Dr/Purdy Ave/Mapleton Rd. Especially at Killam/Purdy/Collishaw/Russ Howard conjunction? I was thinking that the City might route Collishaw down Bevin St into the area of Russ Howard St's round about.

Area of Moncton near Bevin St, Collishaw, Purdy and Killam. (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=46.096619~-64.818091&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1)

mylesmalley
Aug 4, 2009, 5:33 PM
Great to see someone else taking a keen interest in the traffic situation in the hub city! I'll try to address your points in order.

Access on and off of Wheeler Blvd is a bad thing at EVERY exit. I don't know if the Killam Drive exits can ever be fixed as a clover leaf because of the train tracks.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that the access at every intersection is bad. You'll never get a situation where there are no delays when a ramp meets a road. The best thing you can do is ensure that people have sufficient room and time to merge and that the intersection is simple enough for people to understand at first glance. I'd say that's probably the biggest issue with Killam Drive - it's not immediately clear where you're going when you turn onto a ramp and they all end up so close together.

As for replacing it (or all of the interchanges) with cloverleafs, that's pretty much impossible in most places due to terrain, and cost. You'd have to knock down a lot of houses to do that at University Avenue, for example. Not to mention that cloverleafs take up huge land that diamond and dumbbell interchanges don't.

The Mountain Rd exits should be fixed as well. The way it is now there is too many traffic lights in a row.

I absolutely agree with you on this one. But I don't necessarily think that eliminating traffic lights is the solution. I put together this map a few months ago that diagrams replacing the west-bound offramp onto Mountain with a loop on the other side that connects directly to Trinity. I'm fairly confident that that would have a major impact on traffic in the entire area. It would allow most cars free access to trinity in either direction without ever having to brave Mountain or Mapleton roads.

http://www.marketingsociety.ca/maps/moncton/mountain_wheeler.jpg

The other question is what is Moncton doing with the Milner/Centennial Rd/Grand Trunk St/Russ Howard Dr/Purdy Ave/Mapleton Rd. Especially at Killam/Purdy/Collishaw/Russ Howard conjunction? I was thinking that the City might route Collishaw down Bevin St into the area of Russ Howard St's round about.

I would be very surprised if this ever happens. While it would be mighty convenient for me (I live at the top of Milner), the city would get a lot of heat if they put that much traffic through two major parks. Not to mention those roads have turns too sharp for regular speed traffic in places and would probably require significant upgrades at high cost.

That said, there are plans to replace the Colishaw/Killam intersection with a full roundabout. I was under the impression that was supposed to happen this year, but so far nary a peep has been heard from the city on the matter. Who knows!

EDIT

I meant to add that I don't really think St George @ Wheeler is bad at all with its current volume. Even Morton and University are pretty quick. Mapleton Road will definitely work better when the 6-lane overpass and 5 lanes of traffic to the TCH are completed.

EDIT EDIT

I'm no traffic engineer. Nor am I a planner. My opinions are just that.

MonctonRad
Aug 4, 2009, 5:59 PM

There will be a minor allignment change at Wheeler/St. George within the next 1-2 years. The northbound on ramp will be moved a little to the west to decrease congestion/confusion at the entrance to McNaughton High School.

I think the best that can be done at Killam/Wheeler would be to install traffic control lights at the entrance/exit ramps to make access less risky. Traffic there can be quite bad, especially if there is an event at the coliseum.

I have long admired Myles suggestion for Mountain/Wheeler

The point has been made in the past that Ryan Road could decompress some of the traffic on Mountain Road. At present, this would only be by diverting some of the traffic to Berry Mills Road. I personally would like to see them reconnect both ends of Ryan via an overpass over Wheeler.

I agree with Myles, I think things will improve at Mapleton/Wheeler as soon as Mapleton becomes six lanes.

I won't comment on the exits on the east end of the city on this post. :)

mylesmalley
Aug 4, 2009, 6:07 PM

Bahh, they're not that bad. Not compared to Mountain. Most problems in the area would go away overnight if they improved (read:built) the interchange at Botsford/Lewisville.

Dieppe Blvd could use some love too. It'd also be nice to see an interchange built onto McClaughlin Road onto the TCH to complete access to the East End.

bam63
Aug 4, 2009, 6:40 PM
just looking at the courthouse web cam,is that a tower crane being erected.::banana: :banana:

Britishbulldog
Aug 4, 2009, 6:59 PM
Great to see someone else taking a keen interest in the traffic situation in the hub city! I'll try to address your points in order.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that the access at every intersection is bad. You'll never get a situation where there are no delays when a ramp meets a road. The best thing you can do is ensure that people have sufficient room and time to merge and that the intersection is simple enough for people to understand at first glance. I'd say that's probably the biggest issue with Killam Drive - it's not immediately clear where you're going when you turn onto a ramp and they all end up so close together.

You make a very fair point regarding every access point. I agree that they all aren't equally bad. :)

As for replacing it (or all of the interchanges) with cloverleafs, that's pretty much impossible in most places due to terrain, and cost. You'd have to knock down a lot of houses to do that at University Avenue, for example. Not to mention that cloverleafs take up huge land that diamond and dumbbell interchanges don't.

We do need some upgrades. Especially at the Mountain Rd interchanges.

Can diamond accesses allow exit AND entrance? I am also trying to visualize a dumbbell interchange.

I would be very surprised if this ever happens. While it would be mighty convenient for me (I live at the top of Milner), the city would get a lot of heat if they put that much traffic through two major parks. Not to mention those roads have turns too sharp for regular speed traffic in places and would probably require significant upgrades at high cost.

That said, there are plans to replace the Colishaw/Killam intersection with a full roundabout. I was under the impression that was supposed to happen this year, but so far nary a peep has been heard from the city on the matter. Who knows!

I heard through the grape vine that some residents were upset about connecting Centennial Park Rd with Grand Trunk Road because it was in a park. I am not sure how valid that was. I also realize that Milner passes by a K-8 school as well.

I heard that the round about was squashed at the Colishaw/Killam intersection due to resident's backlash. Don't know how true it is though.

It's still a convenient idea to have all those roads connected.

EDIT

I meant to add that I don't really think St George @ Wheeler is bad at all with its current volume. Even Morton and University are pretty quick. Mapleton Road will definitely work better when the 6-lane overpass and 5 lanes of traffic to the TCH are completed.

EDIT EDIT

I'm no traffic engineer. Nor am I a planner. My opinions are just that.

I am certainly no traffic engineer. :)

I would agree with you regarding the different junctions. Killam is a bit congested due to having to cross traffic due to the rail line. Mountain Rd is poorly designed.

As you mentined, the rest are currently OK due to the current volume. I am just surprised that the planners had enough vision to build Wheeler Blvd late 70's early 80's but didn't have the vision to get that little bit of extra land at St George, Killam and Mountain Rd to build proper access.

Britishbulldog
Aug 4, 2009, 7:07 PM

There will be a minor allignment change at Wheeler/St. George within the next 1-2 years. The northbound on ramp will be moved a little to the west to decrease congestion/confusion at the entrance to McNaughton High School.

I didn't hear about that yet. I have 2 that go to McNaughton HS.

I think the best that can be done at Killam/Wheeler would be to install traffic control lights at the entrance/exit ramps to make access less risky. Traffic there can be quite bad, especially if there is an event at the coliseum.

That's exactly what I don't like. Seeing people waiting to go to the coliseum and pulling out aggressively when there is only a small break in traffic. Those lights could help. (I still want the rail line moved though.... :D)

I have long admired Myles suggestion for Mountain/Wheeler

The point has been made in the past that Ryan Road could decompress some of the traffic on Mountain Road. At present, this would only be by diverting some of the traffic to Berry Mills Road. I personally would like to see them reconnect both ends of Ryan via an overpass over Wheeler.

I agree with Myles, I think things will improve at Mapleton/Wheeler as soon as Mapleton becomes six lanes.

It's too bad that the that Plaza Blvd doesn't line up with Ryan Rd.

mylesmalley
Aug 4, 2009, 7:22 PM
Moving the rail lines will probably never happen. Although they're not used much, that line does service a few companies in the Victory Industrial Park like the Co-op feed mill. Apex Industries has used it in the past to move huge crane sections as well.

However, since that line is so infrequently used, it wouldnt' be impossible to have ramps installed on the south side that cross the tracks at-grade. That interchange could be turned into a diamond, parclo or cloverleaf pretty easily if the will was there and the traffic in the area justified it. Now, where the Moncton Industrial Development is doubling the size of the Moncton Industrial Park along Berry Mills Rd, maybe the case can be made for better access from the highway to make life easier on the truckers.

As for Ryan. It's possible. Krjtc suggested that Ayer avenue be extended and connected to Ryan on the other side of Wheeler. Taht'd take some congestion from local traffic away from that interchange. Again though, it'd be costly and I doubt the will is there at city hall.

MonctonRad
Aug 4, 2009, 7:36 PM
just looking at the courthouse web cam,is that a tower crane being erected.::banana: :banana:

If so, that will be Moncton's second tower crane of the season!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

One wonders with that eight storey apt. bldg. on Lewisville Road under construction whether there might be a third crane in the offing. :D

FireEyedBoy
Aug 4, 2009, 8:05 PM
The crane went up around 4pm today @ the courthouse.

MonctonRad
Aug 4, 2009, 8:48 PM
This is the link for the city of Moncton webcams:

http://www.moncton.ca/Visitors/Web_Cameras.htm

mylesmalley
Aug 5, 2009, 2:43 PM
I posted this on the St John's forum, but I figured I'd put it here too.

Google is in fact StreetViewing Moncton, according to their web site

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/where-is-street-view.html

michael_d40
Aug 5, 2009, 4:00 PM
Looks like Best Buy will also be opening in Fredericton Corbett Centre... 2 confirmed for NB... nice.

MonctonRad
Aug 5, 2009, 4:13 PM

The way things are going at the Mapleton Power Centre right now, the Best Buy in Fredericton may be first. :(

MonctonRad
Aug 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
Moncton gets started on Northwest Trail work
Published Wednesday August 5th, 2009

Next major stretch of eventual Millennium Trail network throughout city gets under way
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Another end of Moncton is about to enjoy the benefits of having a recreation trail and active living corridor close to home.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=341119&size=500x0
The City of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Culture department is beginning construction of a 6-kilometre (3.6-mile) section of trail between Charles Lutes Road and Berry Mills Road, linking the various neighbourhoods of the city's ever-growing northwest end. The Northwest Trail is expected to be completed this fall, weather permitting.

It will be designed for walking and cycling and will be the same type of trail as Riverfront Trail and the recently constructed Humphrey's Brook Trail.

"The Northwest Trail will be wheelchair accessible and will have many resting places along the way with park benches and shelters," said Michelle McAloon, a project technologist and landscape designer for the City of Moncton.

"Trees and shrubs will also be planted along the way to provide shade and provide an enjoyable walking or cycling experience."

The southernmost end of the trail will pass by Jonathan Creek, and towards the north end visitors will pass by a forest wetland that is home to many unique species of plants and birds.

The trail will be accessible from Twin Oaks Drive and Muirfield Drive and many other locations where the trail crosses over streets such as Evergreen Drive, Maplehurst Drive, Ryan Street and Augusta Terrace. It will also have an offshoot trail that goes east to Rennick Road.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc had made accelerating trail development a campaign plank when he ran for office in 2008 and this second section of the Millennium Trail network was an obvious place to follow up the first leg of the trail from Lewisville Road to Harrisville Boulevard in east Moncton.

Not only will the Northwest Trail serve a great number of citizens because of its location in Moncton's fastest growing area, it's in a tract of land that was almost entirely owned by the city, reducing the amount of time needed for land acquisition.

There are still a few parcels of land not yet owned by the city, but McAloon said the municipality is in negotiations with all the affected landowners. She said there will be nothing constructed on any lands for which the city does not yet have legal title.

McAloon said the trail is being built wide enough, 3.5 metres (11.5 feet), to allow for a future when the pedestrian and bicycle traffic become heavy enough the trail might need dividing into two lanes.

Much of it will run with in a treed buffer area, but residential neighbourhoods will be close at hand, making it as much a corridor for residents to get where they need to go as for residents looking for exercise and an outdoor experience. With its proximity to Evergreen School and the new school planned for Ryan Road, it should also provide a safer pedestrian route for generations of school children.

As well, the city hopes its accessibility and rest areas will make it an attractive trail for seniors looking to get active safely away from the motor vehicle congestion of the area.

Personal note........While I am all in favour of expanding the trail system in the city and while I think the city has done an excellent job on the Riverfront, Humphrey's Brook, Mapleton, Irishtown and Centennial Park trails, this new trail in the city's northwest end will be far from scenic. It will be built along a power right-of-way with the transmission towers just as visible as the adjacent greenbelt and the hum of the transformers just as evident as the birds chirping. I realize that the right-of-way is really the only option for extending the trail system into this section of the city but I think the end result will be a little disappointing.

I appreciate that this trail will pass close to Evergreen Park School and the new north end school, but it is a little disingenuous to suggest that this will provide a safe alternative for kids to walk to school unless they plan to keep the trail clear of snow in the wintertime.

BlackYear
Aug 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
In the Maritime Concert Scene section, I posted some pre-AC/DC concert pics I took Wednesday afternoon around 2:30pm. One day before show time!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166021&page=8

Britishbulldog
Aug 6, 2009, 1:13 AM
In the Maritime Concert Scene section, I posted some pre-AC/DC concert pics I took Wednesday afternoon around 2:30pm. One day before show time!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166021&page=8

I was wondering if anyone was going to post some pictures.

Good job!

mmmatt
Aug 7, 2009, 3:58 AM
Courthouse construction update
(all pics courtesy of Phil_5 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/) on flickr)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/3793146867_3d9afabec4_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2565/3793962024_1e4486f875_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3793959612_acd0f00de0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/3793143439_53b59cf4dc_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2672/3793139163_acc8c1fe4a_b.jpg

mylesmalley
Aug 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=342693&size=500x0
70,000! AC/DC thrills Moncton crowd
Published Friday August 7th, 2009

Fans, bands and beer gardens joined forces for a show to remember
A1
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Helllooo! Can you hear me?

If you can, you apparently weren't at the AC/DC concert last night and live well outside the decibel blast radius, so here's a bit of what you missed.

First of all, since you escaped the full force of the rock 'n' roll -- which so ain't noise pollution you understand -- you must live well outside Metro Moncton (whether the cows out in Irishtown will be too upset to give milk this morning is anyone's guess).

Therefore, let's start by saying the concert in question was part two of this year's Magnetic Hill Music Festival and featured a triple-A attack -- Anvil, The Answer and AC/DC -- on the lazy days of summer.

It was held at the City of Moncton's Magnetic Hill Concert Site and was produced by Donald K Donald Events and AEG Live as the largest show on AC/DC's North American Black Ice tour.

Those are the basic facts. Now the frenzy.

Canada's biggest concert, loud music, massive hits, hot sun and enough cold beer to fill a large backyard swimming pool created one of the greatest parties in Maritime history.

Throw in the sex appeal of the bikini beauties and buff boys and whether it was AC or DC, there's no denying there was electricity in the air.

A fair bit of, ahem, herbal material too, of seemingly several different varieties, but that's another story.

"Man, you can smell the rock 'n' roll from here," AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson said.

"Keep it coming."

Everywhere you looked, it was backs in black (and fronts, too). This T-shirted army, covered in AC/DC logos, was a heady mix of freshly de-tagged concert 'merch' and beloved relics preserved from the band's mid-1970s origins, the days of original lead singer the late Bon Scott and, well, of having to get up to flip the 'LP' on the 'record player.'

From LP and 8-track to CD and mp3, AC/DC's been in it for the long haul and so have the band's fans who, paradoxically enough, paid tribute to rock 'n' roll rebellion by pretty much all wearing the same uniform.

As the sun dipped below Lutes Mountain about 9 p.m. and the thousands surged forward to get closer to AC/DC taking the stage, the herd walking down the hill in their black clothes looked like a second twilight descending.

It wasn't just newspaper reporters having fun with AC/DC puns yesterday.

Mike Creagh of Cole Harbour, N.S., in his black T-shirt and jeans, told a Times & Transcript reporter he had last been at a Magnetic Hill concert when the Rolling Stones played in 2005.

"I'm back in black," he said. "It's been too long; I'm glad to be back."

As for the band itself, AC/DC may use a pile of pyrotechnics and a gaggle of gags, but they're not exactly the sort of band that does costume changes.

Except for Angus Young of course, who donned his trademark devil schoolboy outfit for the show. If you were thinking a 54-year-old man wearing a schoolboy outfit was somehow not both amusing and more than a bit creepy, if the man is Angus Young you'd be wrong.

Mind you, that's pretty likely what Angus is going for.

It got a bit crazier when he stripped down to his AC/DC boxers. First, he drew thousands of murmurs of female approval throughout the crowd of 70,000; a mass of surprise that he was still so fit and trim.

Then, he inspired an exceptionally beautiful young woman, blessed with the uncommon confidence born of uncommon beauty and perched atop some lucky boy's shoulders, to do a little striptease of her own.

Soon there were shoulder bunnies everywhere, baring much more than shoulders and having the once in a lifetime experience of seeing themselves on the stage's giant video screens.

Pretty girls weren't the only ones atop shoulders. One boy was perched on his dads's shoulders during the topless Angus tribute and seemed to have trouble undoing his smile.

Last night, in the north of Moncton, a boy became a man.

Or maybe it was that the wall of sound had blown the boys's mouth open, as the very air and earth shook all the way up the hillside. Anybody who had set their phones to vibrate found themselves constantly checking them.

When a member of the concert's production staff brought members of the media to the side of the stage to get some photos from the band's opening numbers, he warned them it would be so loud their bodies would shake.

Beer sales were certainly shaking.

Moosehead Brewery president Andrew Oland said at the concert last night the brewery had 240,000 cans of beer on site and six hours to serve them, meaning the beer vendors would serve an average of 11 beers per second during the 21,600 seconds between the gates opening and the beer garden closing when the headliners took the stage.

The distribution was centred on the beer kiosks of course, but for the first time at a Magnetic Hill concert it was supplemented by a whole whack of United Way volunteers like Nancy Lewis and her aunt Tracey Farrell, who were among those floating 60 coolers of beer around the beer garden in two-person teams, accepting both beer tickets and cash.

The added convenience was part of the key to selling 18,000 gallons (68,200 litres) of beer, enough to fill a swimming pool 30 feet long by 25 feet wide by 3 feet deep. At a concert retail price of $7 each, beer sales alone could have approached the $1.7 million mark had all 240,000 sold.

Moosehead's president said the weather was certainly a factor in strong sales, but the brewery had been sure to have more on site than would probably be needed.

"But look at the people still coming in," he said, gesturing to a massive line streaming in from the gates at 8 p.m.

While that ever-swelling crowd would mean ever more swilling, it seemed likely a lot of fans who came late just to catch AC/DC would find themselves left thirsty, as beer (and food) concessions routinely shut down when the headliners take the stage.

The massive crowds of notoriously last-minute Monctonians were still clogging the entrance gate even as AC/DC took the stage.

On the bright side, thousands of people seem to have at the last minute decided to join in the fun. On the downside, the congestion people had been warned about for months likely made a lot of people miss some of the headliners' set.

Enough about beer intake.

Now a look at the outflow.

With a pair of permanent bathroom structures now on-site and 684 portable toilets -- two-dozen more than there were for the Rolling Stones -- the line-ups were more manageable than they have been at other events. And that didn't include two partitioned off banks of urinals that piped the ex-beer directly into waiting tanker trucks.

The portable urinals, complete with more hand sanitizer stations than had ever been seen before on the site, made their debut last night, though the crowd was slow to realize the option was available to men.

Ready John Environmental Services of Saint John was in charge of the whole works, with general manager Paul Naida and his "Poo Crew" (best to have a sense of humour in their line of work) trying to keep ahead of the human tide.

They had high hopes the urinals would be a boon to women too, freeing up the private sit-down potties for them.

"We want to alleviate the line-ups and the number of men who just urinated against fences at other events," Paul said.

In addition to the Poo Crew hats, Paul's gang also wore specially made AC/DC 2009 shirts that read, "for those about to poo, we salute you."

Early in the day, Marissa McKie of Sackville, Nova Scotia emerged triumphant from the potty maze, calling out to her friends, "I got a fresh one! I got a fresh one!"

"I was the first one to use that one," she explained, delighted to have christened the outhouse. "It doesn't get any better than that."

If you've never been to a music festival, you have no idea just how big a deal that is.

"And it even had a sink," said Marissa, who was attending her fourth big show of the year, having "warmed up" for AC/DC with Bon Jovi, McCartney and KISS.

Indeed, some of the potties had sinks with running water and soap, a great hygiene advance provided you were willing to stay inside the hot and fragrant little booths long enough.

When all was sung and done and 70,000 music fans were headed for home, some were already looking forward to what might be in store for next year, dreaming of Springsteen or U2 mostly.

Who next year's acts might be is still anyone's guess, including the promoters, but with another huge success on the Magnetic Hill Concert Site's scorecard, it seems certain there will be someone big playing to big crowds.

Maybe by then our ears will have stopped bleeding.

And then, somewhere down the road many years from now, you'll be telling people you were there, even if you weren't.

MonctonRad
Aug 7, 2009, 2:15 PM
Kind of a funny looking tower crane at the courthouse site.

JHikka
Aug 7, 2009, 2:30 PM
That courthouse is coming along faster than I thought it would.

BlackYear
Aug 7, 2009, 6:32 PM
Kind of a funny looking tower crane at the courthouse site.

I was going to ask about that a couple days ago. Is this the latest in cranes? The operator is sitting near the base, and the whole crane appears to be "fold it up and pack it away" type thing.

mylesmalley
Aug 7, 2009, 6:50 PM
Obviously they're not concerned about crane bandits.

My guess would be they need to be able to move it easily around the site. Maybe a full size tower crane isnt' flexible enough for this project.

MonctonRad
Aug 7, 2009, 10:54 PM
Editorial in today's T&T:

Big events make a vibrant city
Published Friday August 7th, 2009

Another mega-concert at Moncton's Magnetic Hill Concert Site has come and gone and all expectations yesterday were that it'd be another smashing success, with plans well in place and the weather co-operating as we write. The show was the largest of the summer in the region and the largest of AC/DC's Canadian tour appearances, once again putting Moncton on the national and international concert map.

A lot of credit for achieving the development of a first-class permanent concert venue and an annual mega-show each summer goes to the City of Moncton's Recreation, Parks, Tourism & Culture Department and its General Manager Ian Fowler, who has spearheaded the efforts from the start four years ago when the Rolling Stones made inquiries about a show here. He of course, did not do it alone and the city council of the time, and since, has had the foresight to recognize a positive opportunity as well.

What cannot be over-emphasized is how important this department has become to the life and economy of our city. It occupies a unique and crucial position in terms of ensuring the quality of life and economic growth of Moncton continues to improve as we move forward. Some things such as quality of life (and the concerts, parks, trails, festivals, conventions, sporting events and other such things) are difficult to quantify, but do make an enormous difference for citizens and in terms of helping attract new investors and immigrants. And it is this department under the guidance of Mr. Fowler that is central in all these things.

Whether it is the world Francophone summit, international curling, next year's track and field world event, AC/DC, wine, beer or seafood festivals, or smaller but still significant events, the city is on the national and international stage with regularity and style. Not only that, but it draws visitors from near and far, the vast majority of whom leave impressed, with positive experiences and memories.

And the concert site, into which the city has put money to create permanent, top-quality infrastructure (including largely unseen state of the art electrical and communications capabilities) is a small investment that brings large returns, direct economic ones and tremendous publicity ones. The shows provides Moncton with invaluable advertising that the same amount of money couldn't hope to buy.

Similar effects are seen from other events, which is why it is aslo essential we build a new Metro Events Centre. The efforts of Mr. Fowler and his department are essential to ensuring the city continues growing as a vibrant, prosperous hub.

The editorial makes several very good points........if Moncton wants to play in the big leagues and wants to continue to grow and prosper, it needs to continue on it's present track of acquiring world class entertainment and sporting events. This is how you build a national or even an international profile. The better known your city becomes, the easier it becomes to attract new investment and new immigrants to the community. It makes Moncton a place where people want to be. People want to live in places that are alive and happening. Moncton does not have to take the back seat to any other city in the region.

We have the Magnetic Hill concert site, the existing coliseum and the Capitol Theatre. We will soon have a new Track and Field Stadium with 10,000 permanent seats and a new casino and conference centre with a performance space for about 2,000. The logical next step will be to build a downtown arena and convention facility with seating for about 10,000. This will give us a variety of venues both indoors and out that can accomodate performances of many different sizes and styles.

The future can be ours as a community, all we have to do is seize the day.....so, carpe diem!!!

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 8, 2009, 5:19 AM
They should have a RUSH show at the Hill. That would be AMAZING!!! If not RUSH, than my next best option would have to be...Boston. That's just me though. What does everyone else think. I know this should probably be on the concerts thread, but this particular show can ONLY happen in Moncton.

Jerry556
Aug 8, 2009, 12:36 PM
Boston is great, but i think rush would do a bit better at the door, not shur tho.

MonctonRad
Aug 8, 2009, 2:59 PM
N.S. firm to build N.B. schools
Published Saturday August 8th, 2009

Construction to begin next month; Moncton, Rexton schools to open by fall 2010
By Nick Moore
Times & Transcript Staff

FREDERICTON - The province says construction of two new schools in Moncton and Rexton can begin in about one month, now that they've chosen a developer for the project.

Halifax-based Scotia Learning Centres Inc. has been named as the government's preferred developer to build the new Moncton North School on Ryan Road, as well as Eleanor W. Graham Middle School in Rexton.

Construction can begin on the new schools as soon as an agreement between the firm and province is negotiated and signed. The province says everything should be finalized within the next 30 days and construction can begin immediately following that.

Both schools are set to open in the fall of 2010.

The Moncton North and Rexton schools would fall under a public-private partnership (P3) which means the developer would be responsible for designing, constructing, financing, operating, and maintaining both buildings.

In a statement, Supply and Services Minister Ed Doherty said Scotia Learning would include several New Brunswick companies in the project, which he said would help stimulate the province's economy.

Locally, mechanical engineering services would be provided by Tweedie & Associates Consulting Engineers Ltd. in Moncton.

In April, Ashford Investments Inc. (a Moncton-based real-estate development firm) was short-listed by the province as one of five companies in the running to construct and maintain both schools. Calls for comment at Ashford were not returned yesterday.

Department of Supply and Services spokeswoman Chrystiane Mallaley said the government chose the firm that had the best plan for the province and the project.

"Consideration was given to the timeframe they'd included for delivery of the two buildings," Mallaley said, "their constructions methods, what they would do in terms of quality assurance, what their plan was for operation and maintenance of the facilities over the term of the agreement, and also their financing arrangements...but finally, what the benefits would be to the province in undertaking their proposal."

The new Moncton North school will house about 650 students from kindergarten to Grade 8. The two-storey facility will have 27 classrooms, two resource teaching rooms, four team teaching rooms, a literacy support room, a room for students with special needs, a 'positive learning' room, a resource centre, two music rooms, a technology education room, a science room, two visual arts rooms, a cafeteria, a kitchen and two gymnasiums. The building will cover 10,219 square metres (110,000 square feet).

Rexton's Eleanor W. Graham will be a one-storey building to house about 350 students. It will include 13 classrooms, three classrooms for students with special needs, a resource centre, a music room, a technology education room, a science room, a visual arts room, a computer room, a cafeteria, a kitchen, a gymnasium, and a native cultural centre. The school will cover 5,574 square metres (60,000 square feet).

Both schools will also be built and designed in order to be energy efficient and environmentally friendly, says the province.

bam63
Aug 8, 2009, 5:44 PM
looks like something decent might finally be starting in findley park over here in riverview.A huge parcel of land is being cleared along with some serious infrastrusture work. :tup: :tup: :tup:

mylesmalley
Aug 8, 2009, 10:52 PM
'bout time, eh.

MonctonRad
Aug 9, 2009, 1:52 AM
looks like something decent might finally be starting in findley park over here in riverview.A huge parcel of land is being cleared along with some serious infrastrusture work. :tup: :tup: :tup:

That's probably the tract of land that Sobey's owns........

MonctonRad
Aug 9, 2009, 2:03 AM
Colour for the page........courtesy of Phil_5 on Flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3591/3549860670_9bdc45f43a.jpg
Moncton skyline at dusk.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3392/3561135740_c484beac52.jpg
Assumption Place

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/3561140304_45a7facdd6.jpg
Oak Lane, off of Main Street

MonctonRad
Aug 10, 2009, 11:40 PM
Regional CMA Building Permit Values YTD (first 6 mos. 2009)

Halifax..............$341.4M total
St. John's..........$254.3M
Moncton............$148.2M
Saint John..........$124.8M

In terms of building permit value per unit population however, St. John's would be the winner:

St. John's.............$1,404.97 per person
Moncton...............$1,176.19
Saint John.............$1,022.95
Halifax...................$ 915.28

MonctonRad
Aug 11, 2009, 2:51 PM
Dieppe has record building month
Published Tuesday August 11th, 2009

The value of building permits issued in Dieppe in July has hit a new high.

Statistics from the Building Inspection Department of the City of Dieppe show that the value of building permits in July was $19,363,357, a record amount for one month in the municipality.

"It's the first time in Dieppe's history that, within a month, we hit this high level in the value of building permits," Mayor Jean LeBlanc says.

"We are rightfully proud of that. This historic high has been attained thanks to two important projects in the institutional sector, the second phase of construction of Ste-Thérèse School and the construction of Oasis d'Or Residences."

The city issued 85 permits in July: 74 for residential construction for a value of $5,683,442; four in the commercial sector for a value of $564,575; one in the industrial sector for a value of $25,000 and two in the institutional sector for a value of $13,059,040.

Since January, the city has issued 371 permits for a total value of $44.6 million, compared to $45.2 million for the same period last year.

gehrhardt
Aug 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Published Wednesday August 12th, 2009
A5
Times & Transcript Staff

Observant drivers and pedestrians in Riverview have been wondering what's going on at the large vacant property along Findlay Boulevard between Pinewood Road and Gunningsville Boulevard recently.

Tractors at the site appear to be doing some sort of excavation work.

Most of the land in the Findlay Park area is owned by Patmar Holdings of Riverview, the developer responsible for the various strip malls in that area.

A representative for Patmar said yesterday that the land in question where work is now being done is not theirs, but land owned by Crombie REIT of Stellarton, N.S.

Crombie owns a large parcel of land, approximately 25 acres-worth, at the corner of Pinewood and Findlay.

A Crombie spokesperson directed questions regarding the development to Sobeys head office, also located in Stellarton.

Crombie's parent company also owns the Sobeys grocery store chain, and speculation has been running rampant for some time that Sobeys is looking to move into Findlay Park, vacating its current Riverview location on Coverdale Road.

Talk in the town suggests that both Sobeys and Canadian Tire are looking to move to that location, but representatives for both companies wouldn't comment on the speculation when contacted earlier by the Times & Transcript.

A call to Sobeys yesterday was not returned and no response was received from an e-mail sent to a Canadian Tire representative.

MonctonRad
Aug 12, 2009, 1:17 PM

If both Sobey's and Canadian Tire were to build in Findlay Park, it would at least give some kind of critical mass to spur on future growth in this underutilized and disappointing commercial development.

I still think Findlay Park is kinda out of the way given where most people in Riverview live and I don't think that this land should have been developed in the first place but you never know........in another 30-40 years this area could be the hub of a new burgeoning Riverview neighbourhood.

riverviewer
Aug 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
and further in Findlay...in the small wooden construction news....

A new animal hospital, Coverdale Veterinary Hospital, will open at this site on Pinewood Road at the end of September. The Coverdale Veterinary Hospital is scheduled to open at 516 Pinewood Rd., near Home Hardware and Scotia Bank in a new professional building that is under construction now. The animal hospital is expected to open at the end of September.

http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com/transcript/article/758015

Funny how they name it "Coverdale" when it's on Pinewood in Findlay.

MonctonRad
Aug 13, 2009, 12:51 PM
New design of giant crane turns heads
Published Thursday August 13th, 2009
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

A new high-tech crane from Europe is making its Canadian debut on the site of the new courthouse in downtown Moncton and generating interest among the construction industry for its small footprint and low operating costs of about $400 a day, compared to $400 or more an hour for a tower crane.

The HDT80, designed by French crane manufacturer Potain, has been on the job at the courthouse construction site for a about a week and is being used to lift steel beams into place for the six-storey structure.

Vincent Cormier, president of Titan Steel in St-Antoine, says the machine is ideal for this job because it fits into a small space, is easy to operate and cheaper than bigger cranes. Titan Steel, which started life as Guy's Welding, employs about 70 people on job sites and in the shop fabricating parts. The general contractor on the courthouse job is Springhill Construction.

Cormier says the biggest advantage of the crane is that it could be set up on a level dirt surface in a few hours and can be moved around the building as needed. The HDT80 itself sits on a rotating steel platform. The mast -- or vertical tower -- rises up like a telescope to over 100 feet. The boom can extend out to 148 feet. The crane can lift a maximum of 13,228 pounds and uses electric power provided by a mobile diesel-powered generator.

Charlie Shea, who has operated big cranes all over the country, said yesterday he enjoys working with the new machine. The operator's cockpit can be raised and lowered like an elevator so the operator can get the best view of where he is moving the load. It can also be operated by a remote control, similar to those used for radio-controlled toy cars. That way, the operator can actually walk around on the ground to get the best view and then move the load to where it needs to go. Safety and precision are very important for crane operators who move heavy steel beams and other equipment in close proximity to the workers.

At the courthouse, Shea is moving big beams directly to their final resting place, where workers can insert the bolts that hold them together.

Shea, who grew up on a farm near Dorchester, has worked on construction sites along the Alaska Highway, in Canada's far north, Toronto, Vancouver and elsewhere.

The crane was brought to Canada by the Manitowoc Group, the Potain dealer in Canada, which has an office in Saint John. Spokesman Dave Hawbolt said the Moncton job site is the first appearance for the crane in Canada and another is being set up this week in Saint John to work on an expansion of Market Square.

Hawbolt said self-erecting cranes are very popular in Europe where the builders of subdivisions and smaller buildings find them very efficient. He said a big tower crane needs to be mounted on a concrete slab, which can cost up to $20,000 to build. They also require another crane to put them together. However, these smaller cranes can be set up on hard-packed dirt in just a few hours and can be moved around the building as required. The counterweights mounted on the rear can be put on with a forklift. He said they are built for precision and safety and at a cost of about $300,000 they are affordable for contractors who will make use of them. He estimated the cost of operating a crane at about $400 a day, compared to about $400 an hour for the much bigger tower cranes.

He said big tower cranes will always be needed for buildings over six storeys but the smaller self-erecting cranes are expected to become popular with contractors who are working on smaller buildings.

Cormier said Titan Steel has been busy with the recent building boom and worked on several local projects including the new Sobeys on West Main Street and the casino on Mountain Road.

The new courthouse in downtown Moncton is scheduled for completion sometime next year. It will house 15 courtrooms and court staff as well as sheriff services; victim services; probation services; family support services including mediation; Crown prosecutors; and a law library. There will be 188 parking spaces on site, including 84 in an underground parking garage.

mylesmalley
Aug 13, 2009, 1:14 PM
Guess that settles it.

I wonder if they'll use a similar crane on the building going up on Lewisville Road. I can't imagine an eight story building will be built out of wood...

mylesmalley
Aug 13, 2009, 1:19 PM
Oh, by the way. Congrats on breaking 1000 posts, MonctonRad!

BlackYear
Aug 13, 2009, 2:19 PM
For some reason, I find this absolutely fascinating. The Manitowoc HDT80 in action on YouTube.

oOoAft4Tgzg

C_Boy
Aug 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
:previous: Wow that thing really is impressive. I have a feeling we will start seeing a lot more of those around.

Helladog
Aug 14, 2009, 12:49 AM
The crane was brought to Canada by the Manitowoc Group, the Potain dealer in Canada, which has an office in Saint John. Spokesman Dave Hawbolt said the Moncton job site is the first appearance for the crane in Canada and another is being set up this week in Saint John to work on an expansion of Market Square.

Actually, this was set up at Market Square in the spring to get the structure started, and has been gone for months now...:rolleyes:

MonctonRad
Aug 14, 2009, 1:18 AM

Trust the T&T to screw up the article a bit..........still, I would have to agree with C_Boy, I think that we will see a lot more of these cranes around for intermediate sized projects, they seem a lot less cumbersome than a typical tower crane.

Thanks for the Youtube link Budyser, very interesting.

BTW, thanks for the congratulations Myles, it only took me 14 months. :D

MonctonRad
Aug 14, 2009, 5:33 PM
Metro must 'stay hungry' to grow
Published Friday August 14th, 2009

Enterprise Greater Moncton wants to help retail sector grow
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Metro Moncton's retail sector is a huge component of the local economy with sales of over $2 billion a year and the head of Enterprise Greater Moncton says we have to stay hungry in the mission of attracting new retailers into town.

"You need to stay hungry. Our story is a story of success and our ability to attract people into the region but we need to keep going," John Thompson, CEO of Enterprise Greater Moncton, said in an interview yesterday to discuss a new report from the business assistance organization: "Growing the Retail Sector in Greater Moncton."

The report recognizes the importance of retail to the local economy and recommends that Enterprise Greater Moncton continue to work with Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe to hunt down more franchises and businesses and convince them they should be setting up shop here. To that end, Enterprise Greater Moncton will work with organizations like the Retail Council of Canada, the Franchise Association of Canada and the International Conference of Shopping Centres.

The report has 10 recommendations, the first of which is that Enterprise Greater Moncton should continue to promote Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview as Atlantic Canada's premiere shopping destination on a national and international level. Other recommendations include working with the individual communities to draw in more business and convening a retail summit to discuss ideas for the future.

Enterprise Greater Moncton also wants to do more research, including a formal traffic study to determine where consumers are coming from, and find out exactly how many people actually work in the local retail sector. Thompson also wants to develop a co-ordinated marketing plan to promote opportunities for new business in the region.

The report lists many well-known retailers as targets including Aeropostale, Banana Republic, Best Buy, Bombay Company, Gobo Shoes, GolfTown, Home Outfitters, Jacob, Jysk, Petcetera, Rona and The Brick.

Thompson says the sales job can be difficult, especially when they are dealing with franchise bosses in Toronto, Montreal or Calgary who don't know where Moncton is or anything about its potential for making money for them. He says the first step is to educate businesses on Moncton's location and then prove to them that setting up a franchise here would be economically viable.

After that, it's up to developers to work with new businesses to fill them in on where they can set up and how much it will cost them. Delegations from Enterprise Greater Moncton who attend trade shows for prospective retailers usually include representatives from developers.

The report says retailers looking for new places to set up shop depend on good information on population, demographics, age group breakdowns, income levels, disposable household income, home ownership versus rentals, past sales numbers, the cost of operation for their business and the availability of employees. Thompson said Moncton is competitive in all these factors and uses these numbers in the sales pitch to businesses.

Thompson said the retail sector -- which includes everything from corner convenience stores to big box outlets, furniture stores and car dealers -- is just as important to the economy as information technology, manufacturing and other services.

Eric Pelletier, manager of investment attraction for Enterprise Greater Moncton, said the retail sector is important because it helps attract new families to the region. He said franchise owners are looking for places to expand and when they do they put up new buildings, hire local people and generate more tax revenue into the local economy.

He said it has become common for people who went out west to return home with the money they made to set up a franchise here and go into business.

Thompson said the importance of retail is evident by seeing the investments made by developers in new properties and the number of out-of-province licence plates in the mall parking lots. And with the new casino set to open next year, he expects a new level of clientele to arrive by the busload

Personal note: I find it very interesting browsing the list of retailers that they want to bring to Greater Moncton. I thought a couple of these retailers (Brick, Best Buy) were committed to Moncton and were scheduled to open in the Mapleton Fashion Centre. It makes one wonder if the problems at Mapleton are a lot deeper than we think. Perhaps the whole development project has collapsed. There certainly has not been any activity at the site for months now. Inquiring minds want to know!

Say, wasn't Verdiroc involved in this project, partnered with Ashford.
Hmmmmmm.................:(

kirjtc2
Aug 14, 2009, 5:50 PM
It may just be a case of someone not doing their homework. The Bombay Company closed all their stores last year, and Petcetera is liquidating.

EDIT: Never mind...Bombay Co still has retail stores in Canada, they've gone online-only in the US.

BlackYear
Aug 14, 2009, 9:11 PM
Personal note: I find it very interesting browsing the list of retailers that they want to bring to Greater Moncton. I thought a couple of these retailers (Brick, Best Buy) were committed to Moncton and were scheduled to open in the Mapleton Fashion Centre. It makes one wonder if the problems at Mapleton are a lot deeper than we think. Perhaps the whole development project has collapsed. There certainly has not been any activity at the site for months now. Inquiring minds want to know!

Say, wasn't Verdiroc involved in this project, partnered with Ashford.
Hmmmmmm.................:(

I was riding my supermoto around this piece of development last week taking a closer look. I really think there's a problem with the land itself. The huge retaining wall may be the problem. I think they dug in too close to Mapleton road, especially with the current expansion and width of the Mapleton/Wheeler overpass.

There also appears to be water draining issues at the top corner of the retaining wall and the corner of Mapleton/Wheeler off ramp area.

I'm no expert, but something doesn't look right in that corner of the lot.

riverviewer
Aug 15, 2009, 12:53 PM
Who's idea was it to place retail stores in a hidden pit?

MonctonRad
Aug 15, 2009, 3:31 PM
There is no question that the topography of the Mapleton Fashion Centre site is very difficult. It is a very steep hillside that probably should never have been considered for a major retail development. The developers spent at least 18 months rearranging dirt to level the site and it is still not very flat. The main value of the site is it's location on the corner of Wheeler and Mapleton.

I agree with Riverviewer, there is very poor visibility of the site from traffic on Wheeler. The building that has been erected is essentially obscured by the steepness of the hillside and the retaining wall. Budyser's observations are interesting, perhaps drainage remains a problem.

I'm sure the developers wasted millions of dollars on site preparation, which they would have to pass onto prospective tenants. In a recessionary environment, the leasehold costs may have become too high for some potential tenants to stomach.

In any event, something has happened and this development appears to be in very deep trouble.

riverviewer
Aug 16, 2009, 1:41 PM
Do I hear the flat forests of Findlay calling?

MonctonRad
Aug 16, 2009, 2:36 PM
Well, Findlay Park is a lot flatter than Mapleton but with 85% of the metropolitan population living on the north side of the river, I don't think retailers like Best Buy, Brick or Rona will be beating a path to the sunny south shore of the Petitcodiac. :D

BlackYear
Aug 17, 2009, 6:02 AM
Here's a view of the Shediac Sobey's & Canadian Tire project. Sorry for the bad cheap free version of the panoramic view. Building on the left is Sobey's and on the right is the smaller Canadian Tire development. Pic taken on Sunday August 16th 2009.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/shediac.jpg

riverviewer
Aug 17, 2009, 9:50 AM
Canadian Tire in Shediac? Is this proof that Sobeys and Canadian Tire are moving in tandem? I'm waiting on the announcement of the Candian Tire for Riverview. That development, and a fanciful diversion of the Transcanada highway should all the push that Findlay needs.

Okay, okay, I'll stop the cheerleading. I know I'm starting to sound like the Transcript on the Metro Center.

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2009, 7:20 PM
Riverview needs a cheerleader. While the boosterism in the Transcript is embarrassing, their constant harping does keep positive issues at the top of conversations. Their optimism is certainly infectious. Riverview would do well to have someone fighting as fiercely for them exclusivel.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that site is a new Sobeys. Their store has been vastly overshadowed by the renovated Superstore the last few years, and the two companies tend to try to match each other in markets they compete over. I'm a bit surprised nobody's heard anything concrete re: town council. But then again, nobody knew about the Lewisville Road tower either.

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DOT to suggest a radical re-routing of the Trans-Canada south of Riverview...although it would eliminate all that Hillsborough-Salisbury thru traffic that clogs Coverdale road :p

mylesmalley
Aug 19, 2009, 10:31 AM
Sidewalks to new school to cost $5M
Published Wednesday August 19th, 2009

Moncton MLA says site of new north-end school seems remote now, but predicts rapid growth around it
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The City of Moncton will likely have to pay an estimated $5 million or more to extend sidewalks and infrastructure to the site of the new north-end school, but Moncton Cresent Conservative MLA John Betts says it is money well spent because that area of Ryan Street will become a magnet for new families and future development.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=349015&size=500x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
A school bus trundles down Ryan Street yesterday, passing by the spot on the right where a new north-end school will be built.

"The city will eventually have to bear the cost of the infrastructure," Betts said yesterday. "Whether the infrastructure is done now or later, it will have to be done. I'm just happy the school is being built. Our plan (under the former Conservative government of Bernard Lord) would have been better but eventually it will happen."

The site of the new school is a former farmer's field at 1400 Ryan Street, just behind the Petro Canada on Mountain Road near Magnetic Hill. The large tree-lined field is empty right now but construction will begin this fall on a new school scheduled to open in the fall of 2010. That part of Ryan Street is a remote two-lane road, filled with cracks and patches, with deep ditches and no sidewalks.

Betts said the site of the new school may seem remote now, but he predicts the area will rapidly expand with many new homes and streets over the next few years.

The nearest sidewalks are across the street leading to the Magnetic Hill Estates subdivision. The entire area between Ryan Street and Mountain Road near the site of the new casino is rapidly filling up. The area around Sunshine Drive, behind Glad Tidings Pentecostal Church, is a growing maze of residential streets as more people move into the area off Mountain Road above the busy Trinity Drive retail district.

Betts, a former city councillor, said the Conservative government of Bernard Lord had over $700,000 set aside for the school and was looking at sites closer to Mountain Road and the Glad Tidings church. He says that money was enough to have the school built and ready to open this fall, but was shuffled to other projects after the Liberals took power. Even with the change in government, the school remained high on the priority list, considering that the Evergreen Park school nearby was built for 600 students and was overcrowded from the first day.

The provincial government announced earlier this month that new schools for Moncton North and Rexton would be constructed under a public-private partnership by Halifax-based developer Scotia Learning Centres. But the province is only responsible for building the school itself and the city will likely have to find $5 million to build sidewalks and fix up Ryan Road from Charles Lutes Road to Rural Estates Drive. It is likely the road will have to be widened to accommodate school buses and increased traffic that go along with the school and future development in the area. The infrastructure costs have been a topic of discussion at recent Moncton City Council meetings. Councillors have voiced concern over the need for safety around the school but also concerned about the cost for the surrounding infrastructure. Normally, city council will have a year or so lead time on such projects so they can put plan for it and put money into the capital works budget to pay for it.

Betts said the city knew the school plan was coming along but likely didn't have the lead time to set aside money.

Chrystiane Mallaley, a spokeswoman for the Department of Supply and Services, said the government's process for the construction typically includes discussions with the municipality about the facility's infrastructure requirements and how those will be addressed.

"In many cases, we pay for items that are on or very near school property (like a turning lane), but more extensive road upgrades would be beyond that scope.

"In this particular case, our understanding is that the city has planned to further develop Ryan Road, but that process is likely to be accelerated due to the new school."

Mallaley said property taxes on the school will be about $300,000 to $400,000 a year that will be paid to the city, which should help offset the infrastructure costs. Tax revenue from increased residential development should also help make up for the money spent on sidewalks and road work at that end of Ryan Street.

"Safety is certainly paramount. If there is any type of issue in that regard, alternate arrangements will be made to safely get students to school until the necessary infrastructure is in place."

Alcide Richard, director of design and construction for the city, said improving a street that is on the fringe of development will be a challenge. He said the city told the province that Ryan Road would be upgraded eventually, but the work is doing one year at a time and the section where the school is being built isn't scheduled to upgraded for five to seven years.

He said the work schedule may have to be changed around to coincide better with construction of the school. Richard said city engineers are still talking with the province about the project but don't have detailed site plans or know exactly what will need to be done.

"If kids will be walking to school, there should be sidewalks, which there aren't," he told Monday night's meeting, adding that they city can request funding for such works from the provincial government.

Coun. Daniel Bourgeois, whose ward will contain the new school, was among those who thought the province should contribute to the costs that will accompany the school. He voiced concerns over children walking to class without any sidewalks or crosswalks.

I'm very glad to see the city getting serious about upgrading Ryan Rd. That whole area will absolutely explode with residential construction once that school is u/c. That's a pretty misleading title though. I'd think it would be pretty obvious that sidewalks would be a rather small part of the cost of completely replacing and widening a street. I guess that's what they call 'burying the lead'/

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 20, 2009, 4:27 AM
Question for everyone? Where is this http://matrix.cwlepage.com/user/website/CWLePage/ls_TransListingProfilePublic_en.asp?TransID=326803

Also, does Crombie REIT have Highfield Square up for sale, and if so, is that why it is being considered as a possible site for the new arena.

mylesmalley
Aug 20, 2009, 4:39 AM

It's at the NE corner of Vaughan Harvey and Main Street. Bear in mind that, in spite of the drawings, one of the middle floors was removed from the final plan. It's being built by Ashford.

As for Highfield. As far as I know, Crombie wants to offload it. Why it would be considered? If the city really is eager to build downtown, there are only a few possible locations that are large enough to accommodate such a structure without knocking down a swath of buildings.

bam63
Aug 20, 2009, 9:16 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/3840984374_c213b56abd_s.jpg