PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

joeyedm
Mar 27, 2010, 11:50 AM
edit.......i should make sure i have more coffee before posting

MonctonRad
Mar 27, 2010, 1:59 PM
I think budyser's proposal is much more likely to be closer to reality. Now for all those extra perks: hotel, convention space, cinema + IMAX, hopefully someone will be interested. I think there's a good case to be made for such a development in Moncton. As for the IMAX specifically, wasn't there talk about a theater in SJ or Moncton a few years back? I remember when IMAX movies were mostly documentaries, I liked them but they do require a larger population base to find their market and be viable. Today, many hollywood movies are featured on IMAX, I'm confident NB would be able to support one. To have it as part of such a development would be great. Having all these attractions in walking distance to each other make them mutually beneficial and hopefully give central Moncton a bit of a "downtown feel" which frankly it doesn't really have now.... nor is it very pedestrian friendly.

Anyone here convinced and happens to have 80 mil lying around?

Yes, I realize that I am dreaming in technicolour when I mention all the possibilities that could be entailed in a new downtown redevelopment project but I think that is one of the functions of a forum such as this.

We know there are people from the media and city hall that read this forum. As such, we serve as a sort of crucible for new ideas that perhaps others have not seriously thought about. It could be that some of the concepts first thought of here might see the light of day just because we brought them forward for discussion.

I agree, the funding that the city is talking about ($80M) is only enough for the events centre itself.........My point is that the events centre could be the focal point for an even more ambitious downtown development including other components (hotel, convention centre, retail, theatre/IMAX) that would be truly transformative for the future of the downtown core.

This should seriously be considered and the city should be talking to private partners who might be able to bring it all together.

In the meantime, the city should move expeditiously on the events centre project but locate it and design it in such a way that it could be part of a larger integrated development in the near future. :tup:

Off topic: you guys in Moncton, any news about that med research center next to GLD hospital? The announcement was quite a while ago.

Nope, nothing new. It will be built on the old Vanier School property. I have no doubt that this will be built............the Dumont Hospital is nothing if not ambitious! The research space would fit in very nicely with the new francophone medical school as well.

Lrdevlop
Mar 27, 2010, 2:35 PM
Hey everyone!

I found this (http://www.downtownmoncton.nb.ca/strategicplan.php) on the downtown Moncton website. Maybe the city finaly understood that we need a convention center. :banana:

mylesmalley
Mar 27, 2010, 3:41 PM
Thanks for sharing that link! I've been looking for a few of those reports for a while now.

NBNYer
Mar 27, 2010, 8:29 PM
Yes, I realize that I am dreaming in technicolour when I mention all the possibilities that could be entailed in a new downtown redevelopment project but I think that is one of the functions of a forum such as this.

In the meantime, the city should move expeditiously on the events centre project but locate it and design it in such a way that it could be part of a larger integrated development in the near future. :tup:

Don't get me wrong MonctonRad, I'd love to see what your proposing come to fruition. I also think it's probably not a bad idea (understatement) to discuss these options and potentially inspire those in positions other than ours (who actually have a say in this!) given the lack of imagination I've seen in other developments around Moncton and NB.

There is a lot of potential and I think we'll probably see something similar in the downtown get developed...but probably in increments. When and at what pace is a totally different issue.

Steelcowboy
Mar 27, 2010, 9:05 PM
I was looking at that last concept...1 thing..NO MORE RR crossings, its bad enough we have the ones existing, for pedestrians they should either build a subway under the tracks or an over head walkway...can you imagine!!! after a major event and people are hurrying to their cars (even a few intoxicated people) the gates go down on hundreds of impatient and drunken people and the freight train is barreling down at them from a blind curve, No! No! No! subway or walkway is the logical, safer and best way to avoid a fatality. It might cost more but hey it will decrease the trespassing (cutting across the rails). Sorry..that's my 2 cents on your concept..otherwise good idea :tup:

Steelcowboy
:cool:

MonctonRad
Mar 27, 2010, 9:06 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/arena2.jpg

The thing I really like about Budyser's proposal is the extension of Weldon street down to the VIA Rail station. This really opens up the development and would allow a nice plaza to be built in front of the arena (off Weldon). We need more open public spaces such as this.

In addition, an extended Weldon Street would allow for improved bus access to the development and might help facilitate an integrated bus terminal that would encourage public transit to events at the complex.

Finally, any convention centre/hotel/retail/cinema complex could be built on (and behind) the Terminal Plaza site on the west side of the extension to Weldon Street. This would fill in that wasteland of surface parking that currently sits between Terminal Plaza and the VIA Station.

This development could be connected to the arena by a pedway over Weldon Street and then directly to the parking garage on the other side of the tracks also by pedway.

Yeah; the more I think of this, the more I like it. The key is the extension of Weldon Street. :tup:

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 28, 2010, 2:33 PM
Just got a good idea. What if the new arena was design to look like a train station or a train shed? Like so?http://www.canadatravelblog.ca/upload/images/570/size2_092.JPG Like how the American Airlines Center in Dallas looks like a airplane hanger:http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles16225.jpg

NBNYer
Mar 28, 2010, 4:44 PM
:previous:

Nice design idea.

I also like the large plaza in front of the building, some kind of water feature or public art could be nice too.

StormShadow
Mar 28, 2010, 6:19 PM
It's amazing what $400 million will do! It's a great idea ;) Unfortunately, I don't think the city is budgeting for a concept that elaborate. Designers need to be be careful when they propose a building that tries to emulate another era or another building, because you run the risk of it looking really bad (cheap), it's a fine line. It always costs more to use materials that look historic and are good.

I remember reading that a public space or square was one of the suggestions inside the independent report. I completely agree with them.

Lrdevlop
Mar 28, 2010, 11:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I found this picture of a condo building and (I know that this post dosen't really have a point btw...) imagine having that on the lot in front of the Rodd Parkhouse hotel and beside the tatoo shop. It would look amazing!

http://www.atlantarealestateforum.com/wp-content/photos/2008/01/astoria-exterior-rendering.jpg

pierremoncton
Mar 28, 2010, 11:37 PM
I was looking for something on Highfield Square and found this thread which relates to the new arena on another board: http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=cats&thread=11206

Similar viewpoints and rumours as expressed here, but I thought that it may interest some of you.

I don't like copying others' posts or pictures, so apologies to the posters there and sorry if I'm breaking any guideline here. :)

A mockup:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Olie/metroC_mockup.jpg
(pic source: dugger, http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cats&action=display&thread=11206&page=6)

A repeated rumour:
I was told from a city official who cannot be named for obvious reasons right now but, the new arena if funding comes through will be located off of West Main Street on the old CN property. There is 13 acres of unused land that is available. The parking lot adjacent to Champlain Nissan is owned by a local business man that would be available through sale. In my photo I outlined what I think would be available but, I could be wrong in the size that I outlined.
(quote source: moosehunter, http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cats&action=display&thread=11206&page=6)

mylesmalley
Mar 29, 2010, 1:47 AM

There is an 8 story condo building proposed for just up the road from the lot you suggest. Not quite that impressive, but it's a start.

That's actually extremely cool... I like the idea of keeping the pedway as well. Although that would mean tearing down the Bay as well as the mall.

MonctonRad
Mar 29, 2010, 3:18 AM
I was told from a city official who cannot be named for obvious reasons right now but, the new arena if funding comes through will be located off of West Main Street on the old CN property. There is 13 acres of unused land that is available. The parking lot adjacent to Champlain Nissan is owned by a local business man that would be available through sale.

This had better not be the site for the new arena complex..........it's not even remotely near the downtown. This would violate many of the arguements in favour of building a new arena.

There are really only two principle candidate locations as far as I'm concerned:
- behind Assumption Place between the new courthouse and the Blue Cross Centre.
- Highfield Square.

No other locations would provide the necessary boost to downtown redevelopment that the city demands and as such, should be summarily dismissed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Olie/metroC_mockup.jpg

I like this image. It shows how the density of this portion of Main Street could be significantly enhanced by locating the complex here. It would complement the federal office complex across the street very well!

Of course I envisage keeping The Bay, but this would only enhance the overall density of the area.

Let's git 'er done Moncton!! :tup:

JimiThing
Mar 29, 2010, 2:23 PM
That is a great rendering. I like how the Bay would be gone leaving room for a large esplanade. The pedway could still remain, and the Weldon Street
expansion could take place creating an actual Highfield Square surrounded by streets.

This development certainly does not belong on the old CN Property. The city has to reinforce it's core and that would be too far out. That parcel of land
should be used for High end condo development, Something like the "Uptown Dieppe" development.

BlackYear
Mar 29, 2010, 2:32 PM
I was told from a city official who cannot be named for obvious reasons right now but, the new arena if funding comes through will be located off of West Main Street on the old CN property. There is 13 acres of unused land that is available. The parking lot adjacent to Champlain Nissan is owned by a local business man that would be available through sale. In my photo I outlined what I think would be available but, I could be wrong in the size that I outlined.

NO, NO, NO! That would be a mistake in terms of attempting to revitalize the downtown core. Highfield Sq is as far as you want to go West of the Main st railway subway.

Even with an arena at Highfield Sq, bars, restaurants and shops East of the railway subway will not get the full effect of pre-event and post-event spinoffs. IMO.

Wherever the city decides to build the arena, they need to realize that once the consumer gets in their cars after the event, you have lost them. Unless they decide to stop in a restaurant or bar on the way home, that's pretty much the extent of economic spin off you're going to get.

An arena adjacent to Nissan = 100% failure to revitalize downtown between King st & Highfield.

StormShadow
Mar 29, 2010, 2:41 PM
:previous: I could not have said it better

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 29, 2010, 4:57 PM
:previous: I could not have said it better

+1

Lrdevlop
Mar 29, 2010, 6:50 PM
Whoever did the image of the John Labatt Center in Moncton did a good job... It really shows how better the Main street it would look like...

Lrdevlop
Mar 29, 2010, 6:51 PM
+1

++1 :haha: :tup:

BlackYear
Mar 29, 2010, 8:16 PM
According to the Canadian Curling Association, one of the requirements to host The Brier is a 10,000 (minimum) seat arena.

http://www.curling.ca/content/InsideTheCCA/requirementsForHostingEvents.asp

So, if Moncton decides to go with a 9,000 seat arena, you can forget about ever hosting The Brier in Moncton ever again.

So I plea to City of Moncton Counsel, DO NOT build a 9,000 seat arena. I beg you, please, please, please do not make this mistake. 10,000 comfortable seats is all I ask.

MonctonRad
Mar 29, 2010, 10:20 PM

Very good point Budyser..........the city should not sell itself short on this project. I think there are a number of very good reasons to make this a 10,000 minimum seat arena.

If we suddenly go all cheap, we may very well end up shooting ourselves in the foot when it comes to attracting major events like this.

Oh, and as others have pointed out:

DO NOT BUILD THIS THING ON THE VACANT RAIL LANDS OFF OF WEST MAIN STREET NEXT TO THE CAR DEALERSHIPS!!!

City hall please take note.

Thank you very much. :)

pierremoncton
Mar 29, 2010, 11:56 PM
If the city actually reads this stuff, I'm glad that I posted that quote given all of the passion against it here. And councillors can have a look at the other thread to see that many people from a whole other group share the same opinion (and even better: the ones who actually go to the games).

Personally, I haven't been to a Wildcats game in around 5 years and have no plans to go anytime soon. But Highfield Square (while keeping the two-storey portion section) is my preferred location as well, extending the train station road west to Highfield while extending Weldon south to the station. The Tim's property would surely finally get developed properly and so would the newly-empty bus station. That area would look much better than it does now.

But the arguments for CN lands will be that it's cheap land and easily accessible from the Vaughan Harvey and Hwy 15, and both are valid points. And, quite frankly, I'm not sure that the posters here are necessarily representative of the greater population (which is used to driving everywhere and to the endless expanses of parking).

Of course, the only way to change that is to stop encouraging it. All the empty buses that run at night aren't efficient economically nor environmentally friendly, but this could change. So +++1 from me as well against an arena on West Main, Moncton City Council.

And get those bike lanes done and trees planted (everywhere) while you're at it. :)

--

A couple of other things:

We know that the Oh My Fry location is for rent, but now it looks like there's some sort of interior renovation going on. The for-rent sign is still there. Someone please burn that place and the bakery down (and half of the buildings on St George).

I don't remember if it was at the Gordon-Cameron or Gordon-Weldon corner (north-east), but I noticed that there's what seems to be a new foundation lying there. Anyone know what this is?

mylesmalley
Mar 30, 2010, 1:38 PM
I don't remember if it was at the Gordon-Cameron or Gordon-Weldon corner (north-east), but I noticed that there's what seems to be a new foundation lying there. Anyone know what this is?

Pretty sure it's an apartment building. Probably 3/4 floors like all the other new stuff in that area.

mylesmalley
Mar 30, 2010, 1:42 PM
What do we all think of this?

Moncton gives RCMP notice
Published Tuesday March 30th, 2010

City council votes to withdraw from current regional policing system in two years
A1
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Moncton city council has put the Codiac Regional Policing Authority on notice.
In a unanimous vote of council last night, the City of Moncton will withdraw from the current regional policing model effective March 31, 2012.

What exactly will replace the Codiac Regional RCMP remains to be decided.

Council rejected a staff recommendation to immediately begin negotiations for a standalone Moncton RCMP detachment in favour of performing more due diligence on its options. However, council has imposed a deadline on itself of June 30 to make that final decision.

"I think it's important council gets the information it needs, but it's equally important that we make a decision," Mayor George LeBlanc said.

In all, the council voted on seven motions, not counting motions to make minor amendments to the some of the seven. And though they sent a strong message that they felt Moncton was being taken for granted when it comes to footing the bill for policing, they still left the door open to maintaining the Codiac Regional RCMP, which they all agreed has been a good police service.

As but one sign of their strong feelings on the policing issue, the council ignored key recommendations of both the consultants they had hired to study policing options, and the city hall staff that advises them. The consultants had recommended keeping the regional RCMP as the best of three options and the city staff last night recommended a switch to a Moncton RCMP detachment that served the city only. Council unanimously rejected the former and narrowly rejected the latter in favour of keeping all options, including a municipal police force, on the table for at least two more months.

Questioning city staff, Ward 3 Councillor Brian Hicks asked, "How do we get the RCMP to negotiate seriously with us when the non-RCMP option has been taken out?"

While admitting he was leaning toward the standalone RCMP option, Hicks for one insisted he didn't feel he could make such an important decision without more due diligence being done.

While the Perivale and Taylor Consulting report on policing Moncton was praised as highly detailed in looking at various policing models, Hicks led consultants Keith Taylor and Peter Copple through a line of questioning that underscored how the mandate of their report had never been to prescribe the steps to replacing the existing police structure.

He was especially interested in getting a better look at how Fredericton is policed, because his calculations suggest the lower cost per capita in that city translates to savings of about $2 million per year.

"I just can't turn my head on those potential savings that over 25 years could be $51 million."

The meeting started with a presentation from city manager Jacques Dubé, who provided a review of the background but also urged a standalone RCMP detachment as Moncton's best chance to get out of what it considers an unfair cost-sharing formula with Riverview and Dieppe (a Moncton municipal police force would, of course, also solve that problem, but city staff said the start-up costs could mean council would have to impose a one-time tax increase of 12 to 14 cents per $100 of assessed value on Moncton property owners).

On the formula that sees Monctonians pay $269 per capita while Riverview residents pay $162 and Dieppe residents just $142, Dubé said, "it doesn't make a lick of sense, Your Worship."

To that, Councillor-at-large Kathryn Barnes said she knows citizens tend to want the tri-community to be like "one big happy family," but that it wasn't always possible to give in to Dieppe and Riverview in the name of harmony.

"I can love my neighbour as much as I like, but he doesn't expect me to pay his household expenses."

Barnes also put her years of service and the lessons gained to work, reminding her fellow councillors that past failures suggest they will get nowhere either negotiating a better cost-share with their sister communities or for the 10 per cent cost sharing for RCMP policing that the federal government has now denied Moncton for a dozen years, the latter something Mayor LeBlanc had earlier in the meeting blasted as "patently unfair."

After the meeting, Codiac Regional RCMP Superintendent Wayne Gallant said it was clear the council wanted more information and, "certainly the RCMP is going to be prepared to provide whatever additional information we can provide."

Even while council aggressively sought alternative policing ideas throughout the night, Gallant saw "a validation of the service we've been providing for 12 years" throughout the discussion.

"The key message I took away from here tonight is it's clear every councillor is satisfied with the level of service that exists here in Codiac, which I think shows confidence in the model we have. It gives confidence to the members and the employees doing the work. From that side of it, I think it's a very positive outcome. Of course we have to live with a couple more months of uncertainty and we'll get through that. And we'll continue to provide the excellent service we've been providing."

Gallant defended the fact his RCMP masters have left him to defend the RCMP's costs to council over the years, instead of taking part in the discussions.

"I don't think it's ever really been an issue, really. I'm the chief of police, so I think I'm the one with the best handle on the issues on the ground here in Codiac."

However, "the evolution of where this is going to in terms of a proposal for a different form of policing, then absolutely, I think people from our corporate office are going to become more involved in that."

Agreeing with an earlier comment made by the city manager, Gallant said, "the first question is, 'what service do the councillors themselves expect from their police force?' Once you answer that question you can start to build from there. But going back to my key point, everyone's still happy with the current service delivery, and the option still exists that we could continue with that model."

The New Brunswick Police Association, which represents the police officers in New Brunswick's nine municipal police forces, issued a statement last night saying, "the announcement today is a great day for democracy. The taxpayers of Moncton, through their elected representatives can now decide on the most cost effective policing for the citizens and businesses of Moncton. This is the beginning of policing decisions being made in Moncton not Ottawa."

The police association also reminded the council that the City of Fredericton pays $6.6 million less each year for more police officers per capita, while still offering all the specialized services required under provincial standards.

In Moncton for the meeting, NBPA president Dean Secord said he was not surprised with how things turned out.

"From the meetings we've had with the mayor and council here in Moncton, they're talking about due diligence. I think they've done a great job of wanting the information. They can't just go to one police force, the RCMP, and say, 'that's it,' when they don't have all the information."

JasonL-Moncton
Mar 30, 2010, 5:49 PM
I think it's great...every household in the GMA should pay the equivalent towards policing. Moncton has 66% of the population but pays 75% of the policing costs??

If we need to have our own stand alone force and let Riverview and Dieppe pay for their own forces so be it.

Once again...Riverview and Dieppe should be amalgamated under Moncton, I wish they had been long ago.

JL

pierremoncton
Mar 30, 2010, 6:18 PM
I could be wrong, but I imagine that Moncton also has more businesses per capita. It also has more events and nightlife than Dieppe and Riverview, and probably more troublesome neighbourhoods...

...which leads to more policing needed, so Moncton should pay more.

It's fine as it is now.

Moncton will keep paying more even if it breaks out of the regional force. Except that we'll also then have a lack of communication between forces, possible bickering and finger-pointing, and we may lose veteran officers in favour of Oulton graduates due to lower wages.

BlackYear
Mar 30, 2010, 8:42 PM
Personally, I haven't been to a Wildcats game in around 5 years and have no plans to go anytime soon.

I went to see a Wildcats game for the very first time on Saturday night. Never again for the simple reason of EXTREMELY POOR seating arrangement. And I even bought the seats in row N, which is the top row of the bowl section with an extra 3 inches of leg room.

The seats are too small, cramped, uncomfortable and back breaking. I'll save my other cursing language opinions to myself.

Never will I ever attend another seating event at the Coliseum. During concerts, I usually buy floor tickets. I know it's not just me because when my friends showed up at the game, they felt the same way.

After the first period, I looked at the stranger to my left and said, "I'm getting the f**k out of here. You can put your jacket back on my seat". He said, "you should try sitting in the other seats down there". "I know, that's why I bought row N seats".

And the foundation at the corner of Weldon & Gordon is for an apartment similar but smaller to the new apartment next to Shoppers on St-George street.

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2010, 8:54 PM
I could be wrong, but I imagine that Moncton also has more businesses per capita. It also has more events and nightlife than Dieppe and Riverview, and probably more troublesome neighbourhoods...

...which leads to more policing needed, so Moncton should pay more.

That is all very true pierre and that is the reason for the differential in policing costs. This doesn't make it right however.

We are all one "happy" family here in metro Moncton (well, except for the border guards at the Dieppe/Moncton boundary :haha: ) and given our geographic proximity to one another, regional policing costs should be more equitably assigned.

In essence, Moncton city council is playing hardball here. They have drawn a line in the sand stating that the status quo is unacceptable. The feds will have to give us our 10% RCMP policing subsidy and/or Dieppe/Riverview will have to cough up more monies as well. They have just shown how serious they are about this issue.

Personally I think it would be a big mistake to get rid of the RCMP. It would be very difficult to establish a new municipal force from the ground up.

Virtually none of the existing RCMP detachment would sign on to the new municipal force. Can you imagine a police force staffed entirely by rookie new recruits fresh from the policing course at Oulton's? Talk about a disaster in the making! :slob:

The only acceptable option to the regional Codiac force would be a seperate Moncton RCMP detachment.

Hopefully the feds will blink and give us our 10% subsidy; something every other RCMP municipal force in the country gets, except for us and Sackville. If the feds do, this issue would likely go away.

Nat
Mar 30, 2010, 8:56 PM
CFL inMoncton?

I'm surprised to see no mention of this possibility with the regular season game between Toronto and Edmonton scheduled there this summer and the commissioner's pumping up the idea of a new team in Moncton. It would provide a great tie between Moncton and the rest of the country. I'm sure I would be a lot less ignorant about your city if you had a Cfl team.

Thoughts?

MonctonRad
Mar 30, 2010, 9:01 PM
CFL inMoncton?

I'm surprised to see no mention of this possibility with the regular season game between Toronto and Edmonton scheduled there this summer and the commissioner's pumping up the idea of a new team in Moncton. It would provide a great tie between Moncton and the rest of the country. I'm sure I would be a lot less ignorant about your city if you had a Cfl team.

Thoughts?

There is a lot of discussion on this issue..........on the CFL in the Maritimes thread. You should look over there! :)

pei guy
Mar 30, 2010, 9:08 PM
What about a Maritime team? PEI, NB and NS rolled into one: sure to get enough spectators, and it would bring your respect to all of us. Not that you shouldn't already respect us! :haha: There could be a few venues that would switch to get spectators from each province: Halifax and Sydney for NS, Charlottetown for PEI, and Moncton and Saint John (and maybe Fredericton) for NB. So crazy it just might work...

mylesmalley
Mar 30, 2010, 9:48 PM
It would be cost-prohibitive to have a team based in multiple cities. We just don't have the venues in smaller markets, and it wouldn't make any sense for the region's six largest cities for example, to all build 20,000 seat stadiums.

And before you point out that they wouldn't need as big a stadium for the smaller markets... the salary costs, promotional expenses, league fees etc are why these teams are so expensive. They need the large facilities to recoup these costs.

As for a regionally branded team...
I don't mind a team being branded 'Maritime' per se, but it really has to go to a specific city. And in all fairness, that means Moncton or Halifax.

Then again, the RoC already thinks we're a bunch of country-bumpkins. Do we really want to reaffirm that with a brand that implies that we couldn't pull it off without the help of two other poor provinces?

riverviewer
Mar 30, 2010, 9:55 PM
What about a Maritime team? PEI, NB and NS rolled into one: sure to get enough spectators, and it would bring your respect to all of us. Not that you shouldn't already respect us! :haha: There could be a few venues that would switch to get spectators from each province: Halifax and Sydney for NS, Charlottetown for PEI, and Moncton and Saint John (and maybe Fredericton) for NB. So crazy it just might work...

If Edmonton and Toronto can play in Moncton, then Moncton can play in PEI.

I support a traveling regional team. We could use ticket sales in the first year to set the schedule for the next year. May the best city win!

mylesmalley
Mar 30, 2010, 9:57 PM
Much as I want to see all of the Maritimes' cities and towns prosper, if we don't start picking winners in a few areas, we're all going to end up losers.

Not every town can have a CFL team. Not every town can have all industries. We'd all be better off if we got behind a viable project like this and all pushed for it together.

riverviewer
Mar 30, 2010, 10:31 PM
Nascar is a traveling show and can fill 200,000 seat tracks so the model can work if the audience is there.
But, I agree we need a home base. I prefer Moncton of course :tup:

mylesmalley
Mar 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
The problem is the audience isn't there. NASCAR tracks are viable because they're in a country with ten times the people for a sport that is enormously popular, they're located near major markets for the most part, and most importantly, host many major events every year.

It'd be great if that were possible here, but the market just isn't big enough. Even if, by some miracle, SJ, Fredericton, Charlottetown, Halifax, Moncton, and Sydney all had major 25,000 seat stadiums, they'd all fail. The market jsut isn't big enough to support that many venues. They'd all poach business from each other. They'd all be vastly under-used. They'd all be guaranteed loss-earners.

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2010, 12:09 AM

Amen.

Also, you would never be able to sell season's tickets under that scenario. It would be a recipe for disaster!!

I think this discussion belongs on the CFL in the Maritimes thread!

Dmajackson
Mar 31, 2010, 3:42 AM
Re: Dropping the RCMP services in Moncton:

While I'll agree that the RCMP are not perfect at their job they appear to be great here in the 'Fax. Just last month HRM council voted to renew our contract with the Mounties for the rural area after a heated debate over wether the HRP or RCMP were better service providers. Running a municipal police force might be a good idea but beware the high costs especially in a small(er) city like Moncton.

I think a shared force like the one we have here in Halifax might work well for you guys. All of the task forces are split evenly and its not unusual to see Mounties and HRP hanging out together at Timmy's or on a case.

mylesmalley
Mar 31, 2010, 5:17 AM
I don't think anyone has a problem (a justifiable one at least) with the service being offered by the RCMP. The problem comes down to cost. Moncton pays a disproportionate amount for services in the region. That, and we're the only place in Canada that doesn't get a significant subsidy from the Feds to have them.

riverviewer
Mar 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
The funny thing is Riverview did get the 10 per cent subsidy on policing costs from the federal government when it had its own RCMP detachment be fore amalgamation.

Personally I don't mind paying more for policing if it keeps crime low in Moncton. I spend a fair share of my time across the river.

FireEyedBoy
Mar 31, 2010, 12:17 PM
Got into work this morning and they are tearing down the old beige building between the former Creek restaurant and that bar/crack house beside the farmers market on Robinson St. Its stall standing as of 9:15am, but the bull dozer made quick work of the side facing the Creek.

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2010, 12:22 PM
Moncton tops for business
Published Wednesday March 31st, 2010

KPMG puts Hub City above Fredericton, Halifax, Boston, Providence
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

For the third consecutive time, Metro Moncton has been named the top place to do business in Atlantic Canada and the New England states, according to a study by KPMG.

The study -- Competitive Alternatives 2010 -- looked at more than 100 cities around the world and examined both business costs and other non-cost factors that influence investment decisions.

Moncton beat out several major cities, including Fredericton, Halifax, Boston and Providence, Rhode Island.

"We are pleased to be recognized once again, as the best place to do business in Atlantic Canada and New England," said John Thompson, CEO of Enterprise Greater Moncton. "The fact that we have retained our number one ranking since 2006 is a testament how strong our economy is, and how hard our business and community leaders work to maintain our competitive edge."

Cost factors analyzed included labour costs, location costs, transportation costs and utility costs. Other factors included were various tax incentives for key industrial sectors, such as manufacturing, corporate and information technology services as well as the research and development sector.

"The value proposition for investing in Greater Moncton is clear," added Thompson. "We are well positioned geographically with quick access to major centres within Atlantic Canada and the Eastern United States, we offer a talented and motivated workforce, our infrastructure continues to grow and improve, and our tax structure is not only competitive, but will continue to become more attractive in the years to come."

Globally, Canada is among the most competitive countries in the world to conduct business in, placing second in a group of 10 countries from Asia, Europe and North America, the study says.

KPMG says Canada enjoys a five per cent advantage over its closest trading partner, the United States, and ranks only behind Mexico among the countries measured.

The consulting and accounting firm, which conducts biennial studies on competitiveness, says a slight easing in exchange rates and tax cuts to corporations over the past two years has given Canada the edge against the U.S. from a break-even position in 2008.

KPMG also notes that Canada is ahead of the pack among industrial countries, followed by the Netherlands, Australia, United Kingdom and France. Japan and Germany are the only countries with a lower competitive ranking than the U.S.

"What stands out in the 2010 survey is how strong Canada's position globally is as economic recovery starts to set in," said Glen Mair, KPMG's director of consulting and an author of the report.

* With files from The Canadian Press

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2010, 12:37 PM
Moncton prepares for the track crowd
Published Wednesday March 31st, 2010

Upwards of 3,000 athletes, officials and many others will drop into city for 2010 Games in July
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

With about 3,000 people expected to drop into Moncton in July, organizers of the 2010 IAAF World Junior Championships say most of the transportation plan is in place, but there are still some challenges to be worked out.

The championships will be staged in Moncton July 19 to 25 with 2,500 athletes from 170 countries competing in 44 track and field medal events. It is expected to be the biggest sporting event ever held in Atlantic Canada.

The 2010 committee recently hired Atlantic Gateway Tours to provide bus transportation for the athletes, coaches, media and others during the games, but will still need approximately 70 volunteer drivers to operate the car pool through the week. Preparations are being made at the Greater Moncton International Airport to handle the increased number of travellers coming into the city in the weeks prior to the games, and the exodus of people on the day after the event.

Some of the teams will arrive up to two weeks before competition begins, so the influx of people will be spread out. Officials at the Greater Moncton International Airport say they are working with various airlines to determine whether they should add extra flights or larger aircraft into Moncton to handle the increased traffic.

"We'll do whatever we can to make this work," Chris Farmer, operations manager for the airport said yesterday. With athletes, coaches, media and VIPs coming from all over the globe, the airlines need to determine where they will be coming from, when and whether there is enough capacity on existing flights. He said the traffic should be manageable leading up to the event because people will be coming in over a period of a couple of weeks. The big challenge will be when everyone wants to leave at the same time.

Martin said buses will be used to transport the teams, media, officials and others from the airport to their respective accommodations, hotels, training facilities and the main competition stadium. There are seven major venues: the stadium at l'Université de Moncton, the athletes' village at UdeM, the athletes' village at Mount Allison University in Sackville, the airport, the training site at Anna Malenfant School in Dieppe, the training site in Shediac and the Delta Beauséjour Hotel on Main Street. Various other hotels and the campus at Crandall University will also be used to house officials with the games.

Martin said shuttle buses will be going flat out to make sure everyone is where they need to go during the busy week.

One of the logistical challenges was making sure some athletes don't have an advantage. For example, athletes billetted at Mount Allison will use the training track at Anna Malenfant School in Dieppe, while those staying at UdeM will use the training facilities in Shediac. The reason for this is that they have equal travelling distances between the accommodations and the practice facilities, so all athletes will spend an equal amount of time on buses.

"We can't allow anybody to have an advantage."

The logistics committee will also be responsible for moving the spouses and families of IAAF dignitaries, who will be treated to outings and sightseeing tours during their stay in Metro Moncton.

But one of the biggest challenges will be managing the traffic in and out of the stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Martin said the opening ceremonies are expected to draw a crowd of about 11,000 people and there simply isn't enough parking space around the university stadium. This will likely mean that spectators will be asked to park elsewhere and likely take a bus to the big show. Performers at the show will also have to be transported to the site to keep the traffic manageable and ensure safety for pedestrians.

Martin said the committee is working with the city and Codiac Transit to come up with a plan.

"We're considering a lot of options."

MonctonRad
Mar 31, 2010, 12:46 PM
Architect weighs future of historic Moncton High
Last Updated: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 | 8:35 AM AT
CBC News

School District 2 has hired an architectural firm to recommend whether Moncton High School should be renovated or replaced. (CBC)

The future of Moncton High School is now in the hands of an Ontario-based architectural firm.

CS&P Architects has been hired by School District 2 to decide whether the historic building should be torn down, renovated or expanded.

It could cost as much as $48 million to bring the 74-year-old school up to code, according to a 2009 architect's report. That's almost double the $25 million it would cost to build a new one, the report found.

'I'm a volunteer member of the DEC and so are the other people and for us to make a decision in isolation just doesn't seem fair.'
—Harry Doyle, District Education Council chairIt's an emotional decision and an independent opinion is crucial, said Harry Doyle, chair of the District Education Council.

"I've had husbands and wives fighting with one another - 'We should spend the money. We shouldn't spend the money.' And really, honestly, I have no idea what to do with this," he said.

"I'm a volunteer member of the DEC and so are the other people and for us to make a decision in isolation just doesn't seem fair."

No preconceived ideas
CS&P is walking into the school with no preconceived ideas, said Maureen O'Shaughnessy, who is heading the project.

"There's some really beautiful things about this building, but there are also some very challenging things about this building," she said.

"I spend a lot of time in schools and I've been in some schools that really have great spaces for education, that really engage the students and there are definitely some deficiencies in the program spaces in this school."

The company will meet with students, staff, alumni, city planners, the heritage commission and the general public, said O'Shaughnessy.

She expects to have a final recommendation by October.

The Department of Education will make the final decision.

New schools are expected to have a life of 30 years. Moncton High School first opened to students in 1935.

Some of the rooms in the school are closed because they don't meet modern fire codes.

Its roofing, flooring and walls have to be replaced and upgrades have to be made to the attic and exterior stonewalls, according to the 2009 report. In addition, the plaster walls containing asbestos have to be removed.

The building, known for its gothic exterior, includes three storeys of sandstone, arched bays and massive wood entrance doors.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/03/31/nb-moncton-high-school-future.html#ixzz0jiMv86aA

Personal note: My own personal bias is that they renovate the school. We have precious few heritage architectural gems in the downtown and we can ill-afford to lose this one. I'm positive that it would cost much less than $48M to renovate this building.

Also, where the frig do they come off stating that the life span of a school is estimated to be 30 years!! A school is a major piece of infrastructure and investment for any community. We can't afford to replace schools every 30 years!! They should last 75-80 years minimum and even longer if well maintained!! This throw-away society of ours has got to stop!

David_99
Mar 31, 2010, 2:09 PM
Got into work this morning and they are tearing down the old beige building between the former Creek restaurant and that bar/crack house beside the farmers market on Robinson St.

Sweet! New parking space for the bar/crack house!

Seriously, hopefully that one comes down next.

FireEyedBoy
Mar 31, 2010, 2:46 PM
Sweet! New parking space for the bar/crack house!

Seriously, hopefully that one comes down next.

I agree,, and the creek while they are at it. I was kinda hoping it would crash into this building(Rogers) while they doing the demo. :)

David_99
Mar 31, 2010, 6:08 PM
I agree,, and the creek while they are at it. I was kinda hoping it would crash into this building(Rogers) while they doing the demo. :)

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8550/rbinson.jpg

I agree. That whole area could be used for alternate Rogers parking(if the bulldozers don't crash the building) down the road, if their current lot can be used for something more productive.

mylesmalley
Mar 31, 2010, 6:40 PM
Why the demolition? Is something planned for that lot?

David_99
Mar 31, 2010, 6:45 PM
Why the demolition? Is something planned for that lot?

Probably just a safety hazard. I thought the only reason it stayed this long was that it was some type of heritage site.

mylesmalley
Mar 31, 2010, 7:12 PM
I'm all for protecting interesting bits of traditional architecture, but age shouldn't be the only reason why we keep certain buildings around.

Moncton High, for example, is worth preserving. Many historic buildings downtown and around the city are worth preserving for their character, historical or cultural significance etc. But a 100 year old shack is still a shack.

BlackYear
Mar 31, 2010, 10:11 PM
I never liked the idea of having an arena at Highfield Square, so I'm going to focus again with having the arena where it should be...downtown.

The model below is from the John Labbatt Centre. The foot print is exactly to scale.

IMO, this is the only place where the new arena should go.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/arena3-1.jpg

NBNYer
Mar 31, 2010, 10:53 PM

Nice, I like it. There's a bit less room for all those other developments that were being talked about for the Highfield site, but with a few bars, restaurants and a terrase facing Downing street, could look very cool. Turn Downing street into a happening place after a game!:tup:

I'd just add a pedway to the parking structure on the bluecross lot and we're in business!

I'd just like to hear an announcement for any of those two sites at this point!

BlackYear
Mar 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'd just add a pedway to the parking structure on the bluecross lot and we're in business!

Done!

MonctonRad
Apr 1, 2010, 2:39 AM
I agree Budyser, the arena/events centre would do far more for the true core of downtown if it were located behind Assumption Place. I just worry about parking and about vehicular access.

I've said it before..........my heart tells me to build it behind Assumption but my head tells me it should go to Highfield Square.

mylesmalley
Apr 1, 2010, 4:20 AM
I vastly prefer the Assumption location.

The only problem I can see is the two parking structures. It'd be more cost effective to build one large one behind the tower, rather than two smaller ones.

Putting it along assumption makes the case for a parking structure that much more feasible. Instead of having a building used between 8 and 5, you could basically add another 4 to 7 hours of parking fees for each spot. Putting it at Highfield would mean a structure would really only be used heavily during events. This way, you could have a fairly large guaranteed income from downtown workers, plus events at a new centre.

benvui
Apr 1, 2010, 12:05 PM
I like this solution as well. The only problem I can see is the access that the promoters keep saying they need to set up. I'm not sure there would be enough room behind the building for transports, but then again I'm no expert.
This would be an awesome place, and the other bonus is there is already a lot of parking available within a short walk of this location that the need for new parking spaces is minimal, just have to replace the ones taken up by the building.

JimiThing
Apr 1, 2010, 12:38 PM

Now that's what you call Density. This is Definitely local #1 And Highfield is
Numero two. This would create a Downtown mass to build upon.

I can see Downtown condos sprouting up now. :yes: :yes: :yes:

StormShadow
Apr 1, 2010, 12:48 PM
The loading dock should be located at the back of the arena. Same place where the zamboni comes out at the Coliseum. They want to be able to unload and set up near by and not have to drag equipment half way around the building.

I don't think Moncton can go wrong with either of these 2 sites.

FireEyedBoy
Apr 1, 2010, 1:25 PM
Another way they could go with the parking if they choose the Assumption site.. is build 2 garages, one on the existing surface lot behind the Marriot, and the other on the Rogers parking lot.. they could be connected to the neighboring buildings by pedways, this would leave more room around the centre for development.

mylesmalley
Apr 1, 2010, 1:36 PM
The thing to consider about parking garages is they have to be as rectangular as possible to maximize efficiency and keep costs down. There would be a lot fo wasted space if you built one on the corner behind the Marriott. That'd be a perfect lot for new condos or an office building though :D

gehrhardt
Apr 1, 2010, 6:21 PM
I would also imagine that the tenants in the new wing of the Blue Cross building wouldn't be too happy having that garage spring up next to their new offices. :)

That would probably affect their view.

mylesmalley
Apr 2, 2010, 8:14 PM
That'd be a pretty sweet spot for a new public square actually, especially if a couple mroe condo buildings go up on the other side of Assumption to frame it in.

mmmatt
Apr 3, 2010, 6:52 AM
Nice plan Budyser, Ill throw my vote in for the assumption lot...this is the most central and will have the greatest impact on downtown. It will also give us a solid block of high density...something this city lacks. That could be the start of a new era of higher density downtown.

Highfield square would obviously be easier to work with traffic and parking wise, but is it always better in the long run to take the easy way? no.

Due to my extended absence Ill throw my name into various recent topics of discussion:

Moncton High...if this is torn down God help us all...that building is one of the greatest in the city.

Police debate...the ideal would be to keep the RCMP with better cost sharing and the feds subsidy. They do a good job and our crime rate is very low...if that is not possible then it needs to be a regional force of some kind...we cannot have 3 forces in this small of a metro area, it would be incredibly foolish.

CFL debate...brand it as regional but it needs a permanent home either Moncton or Halifax.

MonctonRad
Apr 3, 2010, 3:08 PM
If the new arena/events centre were to be built behind Assumption Place (which seems to be everyone's sentimental favourite), then a whole new set of challenges would be presented that would be entirely different from the Highfield Square location.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/arena3-1.jpg

(1) - The two small parking garages illustrated above in Budyser's plan would be entirely inadequate for this project. With a 10,000 seat arena, you would need parking for 3,000 cars minimum. The small garage immediately to the east of the Delta Beausejour could still be built but would be used principally to replace lost surface parking currently used by the hotel.

If the arena were to be located in the heart of downtown, the city would absolutely have to come up with a downtown parking plan and be prepared to build a large new parking garage someplace nearby; in a site where traffic can be dispersed quickly. To me, this would mean that the garage would have to located directly on Assumption Blvd, presumably further west on Assumption someplace near the Roger's call centre.

(2) - Integrating a transit terminal in this location might be a little harder than at Highfield Square but if Downing Street were completely reopened, busses could access the main entrance to arena here and perhaps even a covered drop off/waiting area built. If a covered terminal were built, this might encourage downtown transit ridership in general.

(3) - A convention centre component to this project could be easier to justify because it could be linked directly to the Delta Beausejour and would not be far from the Marriott Hotel. In fact, with the existing Blue Cross atrium, access from the Marriott would be about 80% indoors as well.

I envisage that the space Budyser suggested to be used for "service delivery" should instead become the convention facility. This would link the Arena directly to the Delta Hotel and the rest of Assumption Place.

(4) - The idea of a downtown IMAX/movie complex would likely die if the arena were built behind Assumption. There just isn't room. Likewise, the capacity to integrate any significant storefront retail into this project would seem limited as well. These proposals however would entail negotiations with private partners and could significantly slow down the project. It might be better to go with a "cleaner and leaner" proposal.

(5) - If this project doesn't go to Highfield Square, then what does everyone else think should be built at Highfield. This might make an interesting discussion.........

mylesmalley
Apr 3, 2010, 4:35 PM
Parking structure at the Rogers lot instead, maybe?

As for Highfield. I think the big thing holding back that land from being redeveloped is that it's leased from CN. If that land could be sold, and parcelled off to developers, it'd be a lot more enticing. Considering the interest in infill apartment construction in the area around Gordon and St George, if the mall were torn down and weldon/highfield streets extended downwards, I bet you'd see that land get snapped up pretty quickly for mixed residential.

God forbid it gets turned into another power centre.

StormShadow
Apr 3, 2010, 9:55 PM
(5) - If this project doesn't go to Highfield Square, then what does everyone else think should be built at Highfield. This might make an interesting discussion.........

I'm not sure what else could be done with Highfield. But if you ask the same question, instead about Assomption, I can easily say office buildings or hotels, maybe even condos.

I don't think I can say the same thing for Highfield, and that's one reason why I'd say it is better for an arena. Did something like the Justice Center need to go into the best available spot downtown, or could it have gone anywhere downtown? That's what I'm getting at. So, I'll play devil's advocate and vote for Highfield over Assumption for the arena's site. My main reason: more room and that makes it more versatile.

Sony500
Apr 4, 2010, 6:10 AM
Highfield Square gets my vote. Yes, its more west of the main downtown spot, but putting the events center where Highfield Square is could boost that part of downtown and get things moving. Maybe what we need is a new part of downtown to get things rolling. That area could be a new beginning for the downtown. Instead of the main part of downtown being between Lutz and King, it could be between Lutz and Vaughn Harvey. That end of downtown is quite modern looking with all the new buildings going up. I believe that is what we need, a new start of a modern downtown in the Vaughn Harvey area.

MonctonRad
Apr 4, 2010, 6:59 PM
Maybe what we need is a new part of downtown to get things rolling. That area could be a new beginning for the downtown. Instead of the main part of downtown being between Lutz and King, it could be between Lutz and Vaughn Harvey. That end of downtown is quite modern looking with all the new buildings going up. I believe that is what we need, a new start of a modern downtown in the Vaughn Harvey area.

Well stated Sony500, the issue becomes "where is the downtown and how should we support it?"

The "old core" of downtown would be well served by the site behind Assumption. This site is smaller and less versatile but is closer to hotels, pubs and restaurants and would do a lot for densification and revitalization of the area.

The "new" downtown extends westward to include Highfield, the federal buildings, Terminal Plaza and the Crowne Plaza Hotel. It is seperated from the old downtown by the subway and several city blocks. The new downtown is more modern, wide open and sits adjacent to the Vaughan Harvey/Main St. intersection. There is more space available at the Highfield Square site, therefore any development there could be more versatile and could include more components such as an IMAX/cinema complex and retail. If the arena were built here, I imagine that the $1M piece of land on the southwest corner of Vaughan Harvey/Main St. would also get developed very quickly.

So, should Moncton put all it's development eggs in the old downtown core or should Moncton develop a new downtown core centered on the Vaughan Harvey/Main Street intersection?

This is a very difficult question. What would be in the best interests of the city?

My leanings are still towards Highfield Square although I would not object if when the final decision comes, it is the land behind Assumption.

benvui
Apr 6, 2010, 11:45 AM
Update on Paul st. re-alignment: demolition has started on the Ultramar, they are digging up the tanks now.

Update on Shediac Prison: They have started work on extending water and sewer lines across the highway. They are digging on Sackville St. and are going to take the water across the highway at the end of that street.

drewber
Apr 6, 2010, 11:30 PM
Update on Paul st. re-alignment: demolition has started on the Ultramar, they are digging up the tanks now.

Update on Shediac Prison: They have started work on extending water and sewer lines across the highway. They are digging on Sackville St. and are going to take the water across the highway at the end of that street.

I could be wrong but I don't see an Ultramar on Paul St.....there's an esso...is that what you are referencing?

drewber
Apr 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
I could be wrong but I don't see an Ultramar on Paul St.....there's an esso...is that what you are referencing?

Never mind I found it :jester:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=+157+Champlain+Dieppe&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.320439,107.138672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=157+Rue+Champlain,+Dieppe,+Westmorland+County,+New+Brunswick,+Canada&ll=46.097861,-64.759555&spn=0.008422,0.026157&z=16&layer=c&cbll=46.098146,-64.759969&panoid=skevI3Cub0w-lJon9O1SGw&cbp=12,53.38,,0,7.81

MonctonRad
Apr 7, 2010, 3:57 PM
Photo from the T&T today showing the new provincial courthouse under construction in Moncton.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=477649&size=700x0

Phil_5
Apr 8, 2010, 1:00 AM
The courthouse has made a lot of progress during winter.
I noticed that they have started putting bricks on a portion
of the wall facing the assumption building. :)

NBNYer
Apr 8, 2010, 2:42 AM
It's changed quite a bit since the last time I was in town. I'm eager to see more of the outer cladding go up, it is king of difficult to tell from the render how its going to end up looking. Hopefully it will be some high quality stuff.:tup:

mylesmalley
Apr 8, 2010, 3:50 AM
Fingers crossed.

I still don't like those windows.

JasonL-Moncton
Apr 8, 2010, 12:44 PM
I find it really "odd" where they put the 'entrance' to the court house, it's kind of hidden and you really have to look for it. I would have placed the entrance on the market/rogers side...maybe that's just me...I'm beginning to dislike this building even more.

JL

stephan.richard
Apr 8, 2010, 5:55 PM
I am Just wondering what will be going into the empty spaces in the Champlain Place malll and also has anyone heard any updates on the Mapleton Power Center has it bogged down or is another developper going to take it over.

MonctonRad
Apr 10, 2010, 3:11 AM
I drove by the New Brunswick Casino this evening and was surprised to see that they had the fake lighthouse lit up. It was bathed in a red light (no doubt to match the colour of the roof of the casino).

They still don't have the rotating searchlight at the top of the lighthouse functional yet..........perhaps in the next few weeks. :D

mylesmalley
Apr 10, 2010, 3:23 AM
Are they actually doing that?

I'm looking forward to the end of the semester when I can get down and take a good look at the projects underway in town.

Is that new apartment building on Lewisville Rd done yet?

And what about the in-fill building(s) on Gordon?

MonctonRad
Apr 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Are they actually doing that?

Nah, I'm teasing you :haha: ........I wouldn't be surprised however if there were a "lighting effect" of some kind at the top but like you, I certainly hope it isn't a rotating beacon!

Is that new apartment building on Lewisville Rd done yet?

Fully enclosed, four stories tall and actually a fairly pleasing design. There isn't any cladding on it yet. They seem to be concentrating on interior work.

What about the in-fill building(s) on Gordon?

If it is the building I think you mean, they have finished the foundation.

MonctonRad
Apr 10, 2010, 4:41 PM
Abridged from today's T&T

New north end school boundaries announced
Published Saturday April 10th, 2010

School will mainly take in students from Evergreen Park, Magnetic Hill schools
By Aloma Jardine
Times & Transcript Staff

The question that's been on the mind of most parents and students in the north end for months was finally answered yesterday when School District 2 released the boundaries for the new north end school.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=479840&size=800x0
RON WARD/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT

Superintendent of School District 2 Karen Branscombe announced the boundaries for the new north end school yesterday. The school will open in January, 2011. This school is situated on Ryan Street and its location will relieve overcrowding at both Evergreen Park School and Magnetic Hill School. The new school's catchment area takes some students from Evergreen Park School and some from Magnetic Hill School to help relieve overcrowding at those two facilities, plus leaves some room for growth because of expected further development in the area.

http://www.district2.nbed.nb.ca/NorthEndSchool/Boundary-North-End_lg.jpg

Kirkpatrick says the district went through a couple of dozen scenarios as it tried to define the new boundaries. The district is expecting to take a look at all of the boundaries in the district over the next year and a half and didn't want to have to make any major alterations to the catchment areas for these three schools.

It also had to take into account future growth and transportation as well as what makes sense geographically, and it had to make sure that students were fairly divided between the schools, not leaving one empty and another too full.

Dividing the area around Evergreen Park School was one of the toughest places to sort out because there are a lot of children in a very small geographic area.

Kirkpatrick says the decision to wrap the new school's boundary in a U-shape around Evergreen's catchment area was partly because students east of Hildegard are already being bused to Evergreen, so it is an easy fix to bus them to the new school.

Twin Oaks was chosen as the southern cut off because there is a fair amount of future development expected south of that street and the district needs to send those students to the new school in order to make sure Evergreen doesn't get overcrowded again.

Kirkpatrick says Evergreen's new boundaries cover an area that is pretty much fully developed, so it limits the school's growth. He estimates that once the moves have been made, Evergreen will have about 800 to 820 students, down from about 900. Magnetic Hill will be down to about 400 from about 520.

The new school is expected to house 450 to 460 students when it opens. The school was built to hold 650, so that leaves plenty of space to accept new students as the area continues its rapid development. There are already several new subdivisions in the works. Kirkpatrick says the immediate forecast is for about 100 to 150 new homes in the area.

Students at the new school will move on to Harrison Trimble High School. Students at Magnetic Hill will continue to feed into Harrison Trimble, while Evergreen students will continue to follow through to Bernice MacNaughton High School.

Kirkpatrick says that will help relieve some of the pressure at MacNaughton, which is already filled past capacity.

Kirkpatrick says they are excited for the new school to open.

Not only will its students have access to a brand new facility, but students at Evergreen Park and Magnetic Hill will see some of the pressure relieved on their computer labs, gymnasiums, and other specialty areas.

Interviews are being conducted next week to hire a new principal for the school and further staff will be hired as class sizes are determined.

http://www.district2.nbed.nb.ca/Images/News/0910/moncton-north-school_lg.jpg

personal note - I think they did a decent job drawing up the boundaries (although it doesn't matter very much to be any more as my kids are all now in high school or university).

The school design still seems very utilitarian and spartan (kind of like 1960's Soviet style). I think they could have done better.

I think my biggest objection is the way the school is oriented on it's lot. It's the dual gymnasium that faces the road. All you see when you drive by is a large concrete wall. I find that to be drab, boring and visually offensive! :yuck:

mylesmalley
Apr 10, 2010, 6:38 PM
Might make a nice spot for a student mural. When I was in elementary school, our art teacher let everyone who wanted to paint a section of wall, cabinet door, or really any other vertical surface. You'd think it would kind of clash, and it certainly was busy, but in a way it turned out very neat. Great way to turn an otherwise drab room into a very creative space. Some of the walls at my university classrooms have been painted in a similar (albeit less haphazard) way as well.

When life gives you grey drab walls, buy some paint!

mylesmalley
Apr 10, 2010, 8:09 PM
From the T&T today:

Construction gets underway on Hwy. 15
Published Saturday April 10th, 2010

A3
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript Staff

Traffic along Highway 15 between Moncton and Shediac will see disruptions over the next two weeks to allow for work on the Scoudouc Industrial Park interchange, Transportation Minister Denis Landry advised yesterday.

The eastbound lane of Highway 15 heading towards Shediac will be closed Tuesday through Thursday, April 13 to 15, and the westbound lane on Tuesday through Thursday, April 20 to 22, to allow for construction work including installing steel bridge beams and girders.

There will be cross-over accesses opened to detour traffic around the site and the opposite lanes opened to two-way traffic for the length of the detour. The posted speed limits at the cross-overs will be reduced so motorists can expect traffic delays.

"We encourage drivers to be patient, slow down in the construction zone and also plan ahead and adjust their travel during the peak times," he said.

Two contractors are on site doing more than $7 million in construction work including bridge work. The tender for paving work will be called in the coming weeks, said the transportation minister.

________
I'm not crazy about the way the lane closures are worded. Are they shutting down both lanes at a time? Or alternating them to allow some traffic flow? I can't see them closing the highway entirely, but if they are and people misunderstand, that'll make for some big headaches since there are no other interchanges for quite a few kilometres.

riverviewer
Apr 10, 2010, 11:56 PM
So what's up with Paul Street and Gould? Many of the old houses on Gould have been dragged away. It's down the street so it doesn't appear to be related to the Paul Street reallignment. Does anyone know what the land is being cleared for?

NBNYer
Apr 11, 2010, 1:08 PM
I think I remember an apartment building being proposed for that area. Is there a render floating around?

pierremoncton
Apr 11, 2010, 6:06 PM
It's a 4-storey, 68-unit building -- no image: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=4480687&postcount=5670

mylesmalley
Apr 11, 2010, 6:33 PM
big building. i think the new one on lewisville is only 50 units.

tw31
Apr 11, 2010, 7:59 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it lately, but according the the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper website, the gates open in five days?

C_Boy
Apr 12, 2010, 12:35 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it lately, but according the the Petitcodiac Riverkeeper website, the gates open in five days?

Causeway gates to open next week
Cathy LeBreton - News 91.9 Staff April 09, 2010 09:40:29 AM

http://www.iWebPhoto.com/iWebPhoto_free_upload_photo/222599/Album1/Causeway.jpg

MONCTON, NB - The Petitcodiac Causeway gates will be opened sometime during the latter part of next week.

That's according to Jacques Paynter of AMEC, the engineering firm overseeing the project.

Paynter says the gates will be lifted on a descending tide so the difference in elevation between the river and the lake will be only about a metre.

The lake or headpond will be drawn down within one tidal cycle and Paynter says the most dramatic visual will be on that side of the causeway with the first returning tide bringing the water level up several metres.

Paynter wouldn't comment on claims by the Lake Petitcodiac Preservation Association that the tide will carry polluted salt-water upstream of the causeway.

LAPPA is seeking a court injunction to stop the project from going ahead.

JasonL-Moncton
Apr 12, 2010, 1:22 PM
I was driving past the stadium yesterday and noticed some structural steel going up in the midst of campus, near the big parking lot where they do driving tests off Morton...what is that??

JL

The Flash
Apr 12, 2010, 1:46 PM
I was driving past the stadium yesterday and noticed some structural steel going up in the midst of campus, near the big parking lot where they do driving tests off Morton...what is that??

JL

I heard it was an expansion of the arts faculty.

The Flash
Apr 12, 2010, 1:51 PM
I just drove by the infill project on Gordon and they have framed the first floor. Doesn't even look like there will be any parking, the building is taking up the whole site.

C_Boy
Apr 12, 2010, 1:57 PM
It's actually for the Health Sciences department for the Nursing program.

David_99
Apr 12, 2010, 3:25 PM
I just drove by the infill project on Gordon and they have framed the first floor. Doesn't even look like there will be any parking, the building is taking up the whole site.

I thought so too, though there is a parking area just behind the building. It probably belongs to the day care, but maybe they've bought some of that land. I guess we shall see.

MonctonRad
Apr 12, 2010, 9:49 PM
Casino almost ready
Published Monday April 12th, 2010

Locally made games will be among the 500 slot machines on the casino floor
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

There's still a lot to be done but construction of the $90-million Casino New Brunswick is on track for the big opening in early May.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=480429&size=0x500
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Craig Sears of Royal Door attaches supports for a railing inside the lighthouse at Casino N.B. A stairwell leads up to a lounge at the midway point.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=480427&size=700x0
The main gaming area of Casino N.B. will contain 500 gaming machines.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=480428&size=700x0
Workers set up the main bar in the centre of the gaming floor at Casino N.B.

"The first of May is a Saturday, so we're still not sure exactly when it will be, but it will be in the first few days of the month," manager Steve Hancock said as the Times & Transcript was given a sneak preview of the new facility on Mountain Road.

The casino complex is actually three separate buildings -- the hotel, the Palladium entertainment centre and the casino itself -- that are all linked together in sequence.

While the casino is expected to open in the first few days of May, the hotel and entertainment centre still have a way to go and will open later. An enclosed pedway will connect all three buildings so people will be able to walk from one end of the massive complex to the other without having to venture outside.

Once it is fully operational, the casino is expected to generate about $50 million per year, of which the province gets a 50 per cent piece of the action.

Construction workers were busy yesterday installing huge panes of glass into the steel-frame lighthouse tower that frames the main entrance to the casino. Inside the lighthouse will be a water fountain illuminated by multicoloured LED lights. A spiral staircase will take visitors to the second-floor lounge area.

Pass through the reception area and you enter the 24,000-square-foot gaming floor, filled with 500 electronic slot machines. The main gaming floor is square but it is constructed with angled walls so it actually appears to be a round room. The room is laid out like a wheel with the main bar at the hub, surrounded by banks of the electronic games. There is a variety of games that allow players to place bets as small as a penny, and with jackpots that are expected to rise up to $40,000. Hancock said the games are the latest and newest from seven different manufacturers, including two local companies.

Games from Spielo Gaming and Canadian Gaming Services -- both located in Metro Moncton -- will be prominently featured on the floor. The locally made games have names like Lusty Devil, King of the Cage, Haulin' Cash, Lucky Signs, Slush Funds, Brave Spirit and Double O Cash.

"Starting out new, we got the best of everything," Hancock said.

The gaming room also includes 22 live table games for Blackjack, Three Card Poker, Baccarat, Craps, Roulette and a Big 6 Wheel, and eight poker tables in a private poker room.

Last week, technicians were programming the shiny new electronic games but the game tables have not yet been set up.

Other features of the casino are a buffet restaurant, pub-style restaurant, gift shop and about 60 high-definition TV screens all over the place.

Entertainment manager David Rapelje said the casino will have 13 separate satellite TV and radio services. All the feeds go into a central control room on the second floor and send whatever signal to any of the screens.

"It's the best place to see a sports event on TV."

Rapelje said it will also be a place to see local bands. The pub will have a stage set up with a professional sound and light system, along with its own technician and drum kit. He is now making arrangements with local entertainers to perform there on a rotating schedule.

As the casino nears its opening date, Hancock said they are still hiring people for jobs as cashiers and slot machine attendants on the floor. There are also various jobs in food and beverage services and housekeeping available.

Meanwhile, construction continues on both the entertainment centre and the hotel, which will open later this year.

Raplelje said the theatre will accommodate a crowd of 1,800 seated or 2,400 standing. It can also be divided into three separate rooms. With $2.2 million worth of sound equipment, lights and staging, Rapleje said performers will be able to fly into Moncton, arrive at the casino and walk onto the stage without having to bring anything with them.

"We want to program our own distinct series of music," he said, noting that the casino is planning performances in both French and English. "For anyone who likes music, this is an exciting time."

StormShadow
Apr 12, 2010, 10:46 PM
The casino looks great. It doesn't look as cool as something in Las Vegas, but that's a good thing. When you compare the lighthouse feature on this casino to what other casinos have, it's actually quite subtle. The interior photos do not look too over the top either.

I can understand the logic of placing it up near Magnetic Hill and the Trans-Canada to a certain point. But this thing should have been built downtown. I think the Casino will do well, but I'm not too sure how much more it will benefit the rest of Moncton's business community. It just seems like another destination outside the city?

Nashe
Apr 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
I heard it was an expansion of the arts faculty.Maybe they should take the vending machines out of the professors lounges? :D

JasonL-Moncton
Apr 13, 2010, 12:51 PM
Noticed as I was driving by NBCC this morning that the structural steel for the expansion has begun to go up.

JL

MonctonRad
Apr 14, 2010, 12:39 AM
Slightly abridged from today's T&T

Metro citizens have had enough with 'booting' downtown
Published Tuesday April 13th, 2010

The practice of placing steel boots around tires of 'illegally' parked cars has been with us in Metro Moncton for a few months now and with it an undercurrent of displeasure from affected (as well as non-affected) vehicle owners that appears to be bubbling to the surface.

Contributor Bruce May is the latest to weigh in on the topic.

"I read with slight amusement and disappointment of your article on booting in Saturday's paper (April 10). The amusing part is where you wrote that the 'booters' conduct their activities professionally.

"I have watched 'booters' in action. They (appear to) have no desire to be professional or understanding. The disappointment is that you gave the issue a slight reference and really in my mind don't really consider this a serious issue," he said.

(I feel compelled to note here that topics introduced in this column are taken seriously, otherwise they would not appear here.)

Despite his apparent disdain for the people who are doing the booting, May thinks there are specific times when the practice might be acceptable and says, "I agree to boot or tow during prime hours, however after 6 p.m. when you want people to support the establishments, it is still in effect, (this) makes no sense. As I have suggested in letters, legislate the private owners to erect chain link fences with a gate. That after 6 p.m. no one parks. Or provide evening parking and charge three dollars. The ultimate is the city legislates that parking between 5 p.m. and midnight is free."

Most residents would agree with May when he opines, "There are solutions but no one wants to address it."

He also has concerns that as long as there is no permanent solution found there is a risk of confrontation.

"It hasn't happened but it will," May predicts. "As the booters work in threes at times where one boots the car and two sit in a truck watching to ensure no interference, someone will be hurt, seriously hurt. Must city hall wait till then before action is taken? Summer is coming, tourists will come. Think about the ramifications."

He also shows little confidence that local lawmakers will move on this soon saying, "as per the norm city hall has remained mute on this. Instead hoping it will just go away."

It would seem as though this contributor has been keeping a sharp eye on the progress of this topic as Mister May refers to a specific example that indicates how a specific lot owner, near St. Bernard church, has apparently had a change of heart. He recalls how, "The owner of the lot is quoted in a T&T article to say that he had to maintain the integrity of the parking lot as people who parked at night left the lot with broken beer bottles and generally a mess that needed to be cleaned up.

However he would not on Sunday morning boot church goers as these were decent people who respected property.

"Well I guess (parishioners) at St. Bernard's church have fallen off the respected list and have now been put on the boot list as per the note below.

"This note was placed in the church bulletin on April 4 2010."

It says, "Important note re: parking. Recent events at St. Bernard's Church have resulted in people parking in parking lots that are reserved for PAID parking only! Several cars have been booted. Be aware that the lots across the street on Wesley Street and on the other side of the church at the corner of Victoria Street do NOT belong to us. Should you choose to park there, you will be booted. The parish will not be responsible."

May observes having 'parking booters' operating in downtown Moncton may be contributing to a larger problem and, in his view, "This is now bordering, sorry has crossed, the line to insanity. Downtown Moncton and city hall can't understand why downtown Moncton is becoming a leper colony. To meet at the City Grill to debate, have panels to decide how to revitalize downtown, does not need numerous consultants wasting taxpayer's money giving us grandiose plans. Just take a look at the empty parking lots, the empty store fronts, at the coloured ribbons (the sign a car has been booted) and one has their answer. Soon Moncton won't need parking lots downtown as a once promising downtown will only have empty shells and the memories of what could have been," he concludes.

Personal note: I think this "boot" issue really is the "elephant in the room" in terms of crippling any attempt to make our downtown more appealing and inviting for suburbanites and tourists to the area.

There really isn't that much on street parking close to Main Street. There is lots of parking on vacant surface lots but if you aren't aware whether or not the vacant lot is a "boot trap", why would you take the chance to park there!!!

This has affected me personally. There are places that I used to park when going downtown in the evening but since I don't know the status of these lots, I now tend to avoid them. Parking in the core has become a hassle and I for one have not been going downtown as frequently to go to restaurants as I used to. I'm sure I'm not the only one either!

This is a real issue. Does city hall want downtown to be an inviting environment or not? This problem should be seriously addressed at an upcoming city council meeting!!

The booters should be run out of town! At the very least, the private parking lots in question should be clearly identified! I would suggest fencing and access gates as well as large clearly marked (bilingual) signage unequivocably stating that if you choose to park here, your car will be booted.........let's take the guesswork out of this!!!

Just out of interest, are there any other cities in the region that have become infested with booters?