PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Jun 2, 2016, 12:15 AM
According to multiple sources, one of the top six banks is planning to open a call-center in Moncton. One line of business of that very bank has a major operation in Saint John.

Moncton was apparently chosen as opposed as to Saint John due to the bilingual workforce. (no surprise there...)

:previous:

Which "top six" bank would that be?

Moncton already has contact centres for Royal Bank and Tangerine Bank, and has the Atlantic region head office for National Bank.

ErickMontreal
Jun 2, 2016, 12:17 AM

Moncton already has contact centres for Royal Bank and Tangerine Bank, and has the Atlantic region head office for National Bank.

It isn't any of those. I cannot say more. I will keep you updated.

michael_d40
Jun 2, 2016, 2:59 AM

It's TD.

MonctonRad
Jun 2, 2016, 3:53 AM
It's TD.

Thanks. :)

Since the RBC contact centre is moving into that new building in the MID park, maybe TD could take over their old building (although I would definitely prefer a downtown location, perhaps in 1234 Main Street).

Monctoncore
Jun 2, 2016, 10:37 AM
TD will prefer something newly renovated, I know people who work at the RBC center and that old building had a lot of problems, which is why they were making the move in the first place.

michael_d40
Jun 2, 2016, 11:48 AM
TD will prefer something newly renovated, I know people who work at the RBC center and that old building had a lot of problems, which is why they were making the move in the first place.

TD here went to a very dated strip mall here. After a few years, they added a floor. A year or so after that... They added another floor. It was odd. But it looks nice now.

Here's a street view link. Looks like they were midway through adding a level when Google went by.

410-414 Rothesay Ave, Saint John, NB E2J 2C4
https://goo.gl/maps/muS38wyMpbM2

BlackYear
Jun 2, 2016, 12:30 PM
(although I would definitely prefer a downtown location, perhaps in 1234 Main Street).

I would agree. Then perhaps build that well needed parking garage.

That would add to the area's growth:
- New Downtown Events Centre
- Sobey's expansion
- GoodLife Gym & whatever is brewing on that side of Vaughn Harvey
- Potential TD Bank at 1234 Main
- Potential new development between Via Rail & Shoppers.
- Crown Plaza anticipated secret potential development.
- Potential renovations of 1234 building #2 would begin.
- Am I missing something else?
:)

My only concern, would TB Bank executives would want to move in 1234 Main with a giant lighted Tangerine on the roof top!:runaway:

CdnEh
Jun 6, 2016, 4:30 AM
It's TD Insurance that has the major call centre in Saint John. They've been doing massive expansions and hiring over the past while, and have added 2 floors on to the top of their building.

mmmatt
Jun 7, 2016, 1:40 AM
According to multiple sources, one of the top six banks is planning to open a call-center in Moncton. One line of business of that very bank has a major operation in Saint John.

Moncton was apparently chosen as opposed as to Saint John due to the bilingual workforce. (it should come as no surprise)

Good stuff!

This in addition to some other recent announcements is shaping 2016-17 up pretty nice for the jobs front

WestJet Call Center: 400
Organigram: between 113 to 300
BMM Testlabs: up to 1000
TD Bank Call Center: ???

habs33
Jun 7, 2016, 2:41 PM
Plans in place for construction of Holiday Inn Express in Moncton
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/47284920/?nopromo=1
council has approved — with some conditions — the developer’s request for land rezoning at the north east corner of Mapleton Road and Queensway Drive to allow for a commercial development that would include a Holiday Inn Express, a convenience store and gas bar, a fast food drive thru restaurant and room for two brand name restaurants.

pierremoncton
Jun 7, 2016, 2:48 PM

http://i.imgur.com/GptJsm5.jpg

David_99
Jun 7, 2016, 6:37 PM
Crap, a family member of mine just bought a house across the street from this and they are in the middle of major renos. I wonder if this will increase or decrease the land value...

Walk then Run
Jun 7, 2016, 10:40 PM
Crap, a family member of mine just bought a house across the street from this and they are in the middle of major renos. I wonder if this will increase or decrease the land value...

I kind of think they must be okay with this since there already is a large hotel across the street (Hampton Inn). The way this end of the city is growing, they may be offered something they can not refuse in a few years. :tup:

MonctonRad
Jun 8, 2016, 1:33 PM
Further to mmmatt's post about hotel occupancy rates in the province, there was an article in the T&T today pointing out that Moncton had an 84% occupancy rate last summer. This was the highest hotel occupancy rate east of Montreal!

The consultant who wrote the report said "I've never seen anyone run at 84% occupancy in July and August".

I think you can expect even more hotel construction in Moncton in the next few years. :yes:

michael_d40
Jun 8, 2016, 4:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/GptJsm5.jpg

Am I crazy, or does it say Hilton Garden Inn on the left hand side?? :s

MonctonRad
Jun 8, 2016, 5:14 PM

You're not crazy. I guess this just speaks to the fact of how generic these designs really are...... :haha:

Scarface
Jun 8, 2016, 5:15 PM

It does... That's a little odd but not as odd as the Irving big stop with right hand drive cars, and what seems to be European plates.

Monctoncore
Jun 8, 2016, 5:19 PM
Haha that's to funny!

David_99
Jun 8, 2016, 5:23 PM
You're not crazy. I guess this just speaks to the fact of how generic these designs really are...... :haha:

I'm going go to look at some of those original renders of the new MHS. See if I can spot the word "penitentiary" anywhere!

It does... That's a little odd but not as odd as the Irving big stop with right hand drive cars, and what seems to be European plates.

Maybe they just used a template for the Ürving Big Stop in Stockholm! :D

pierremoncton
Jun 10, 2016, 7:25 PM
New Codiac RCMP HQ to open in 2019. The idea of renovating the current building at a cost of $18MM has been abandoned; in December, Moncton, Riverview & Dieppe agreed to spend $41MM on a new building. A location hasn't been selected yet, but design & construction tenders will go out shortly.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actualites/2016/06/10/moncton-nouveau-poste-de-police-2019/

Monctoncore
Jun 10, 2016, 7:44 PM
It will probably end up out near the transcanada highway

MonctonRad
Jun 10, 2016, 7:55 PM
It will probably end up out near the transcanada highway

It will be downtown, and will likely be built next to the Palais de Justice on Assomption.

Monctoncore
Jun 10, 2016, 8:01 PM
It will be downtown, and will likely be built next to the Palais de Justice on Assomption.

Haha oh I know! I just figured I would make the joke right away. So I only kid! I cannot wait to see designs, hopefully it will be a stunning building

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 10, 2016, 8:05 PM
Haha oh I know! I just figured I would make the joke right away. So I only kid! I cannot wait to see designs, hopefully it will be a stunning building
I heard the developers of royal oaks offered the RCMP land next to Moncton High and the Mounties told them to stick it :haha::haha:

Monctoncore
Jun 10, 2016, 8:32 PM
I heard the developers of royal oaks offered the RCMP land next to Moncton High and the Mounties told them to stick it :haha::haha:

I really hope you are kidding! I have been trying to find some renders or new rcmp offices/ detachments across Canada and the only one I can find is the new one built in Surrey, BC. Which is a nice building but very large and I don't know if Moncton would need one that big.

MonctonRad
Jun 10, 2016, 8:56 PM
Moncton and Surrey are the two largest municipal RCMP detachments in the country, so you never know.....

Monctoncore
Jun 10, 2016, 9:16 PM
Well the Surrey pictures show it in a huge open field like area (it may be a training facility)

theshark
Jun 10, 2016, 9:52 PM
The new rcmp building in Surrey is the e div hq(BC) which explain the size of the building. They do not use it as a regular detachment, surrey operates from different neighbourhood detachments around the city.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 10, 2016, 10:04 PM
I really hope you are kidding! I have been trying to find some renders or new rcmp offices/ detachments across Canada and the only one I can find is the new one built in Surrey, BC. Which is a nice building but very large and I don't know if Moncton would need one that big.

I most certainly was kidding. They'll likely build it on assumption as was previously mentioned.

Monctoncore
Jun 10, 2016, 10:23 PM
The new rcmp building in Surrey is the e div hq(BC) which explain the size of the building. They do not use it as a regular detachment, surrey operates from different neighbourhood detachments around the city.

That's what I thought, it was the only picture I could find, there doesn't seem to be any photos of large ramp detachments, if someone found one I would love to see it, hopefully we will see something in the next 6 months (renders etc.)

theshark
Jun 11, 2016, 12:12 AM
Google rcmp detachment pictures, it will give you an idea of recent completed detachments, upcoming projects and so on, some of them are really nice buildings

Monctoncore
Jun 11, 2016, 12:25 AM
Google rcmp detachment pictures, it will give you an idea of recent completed detachments, upcoming projects and so on, some of them are really nice buildings

Thanks will do! I don't know why I didn't think of that :slob:

Also it'd it's built by the court house should it have some similarities? What do people think it should look like?

L'homard
Jun 11, 2016, 5:37 PM
Ideally, the Mounties wanted to build next to the court with a tunnel connecting the two for ease of getting prisoners to the courthouse.

Walk then Run
Jun 11, 2016, 8:12 PM
Also it'd it's built by the court house should it have some similarities? What do people think it should look like?

I think it should contrast the court house, but of course still fit in. This would provide a diverse look and feel.

tmacdougall
Jun 13, 2016, 1:35 PM
Trampoline Park coming to Moncton.

http://www.skyzone.com/moncton

The ER department is ready at Moncton Hospital & the Dumont. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/trampoline-park-precautions-injuries-1.3487278

Can't find the location yet?

SirReal
Jun 13, 2016, 7:13 PM
Trampoline Park coming to Moncton.

http://www.skyzone.com/moncton

The ER department is ready at Moncton Hospital & the Dumont. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/trampoline-park-precautions-injuries-1.3487278

Can't find the location yet?

Their Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Sky-Zone-DieppeGreater-Moncton-884852024992959/) page says 40 Champlain St., Dieppe.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 17, 2016, 3:10 PM
I was thinking thinking of how many cranes we will have in Moncton this summer. There is already one at the Dumont, there will be one at the new apartment complex in dieppe, 2 at the events centre, likely one at the holiday inn on the TCH. Can anybody think of ones in missing? That's the most in metro Moncton in a long time though!

Mattyyy
Jun 17, 2016, 4:36 PM
I was thinking thinking of how many cranes we will have in Moncton this summer. There is already one at the Dumont, there will be one at the new apartment complex in dieppe, 2 at the events centre, likely one at the holiday inn on the TCH. Can anybody think of ones in missing? That's the most in metro Moncton in a long time though!

Five Five Queen..??

Monctoncore
Jun 17, 2016, 6:56 PM

The new hotel in dieppe going up

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 18, 2016, 2:38 PM
So that's 7 cranes, when was the last time there was that many in one summer? Probably been at least 10-15 years?

MonctonRad
Jun 18, 2016, 2:41 PM
So that's 7 cranes, when was the last time there was that many in one summer? Probably been at least 10-15 years?

Exciting times yes, but don't count your cranes before they're hatched..... :haha:

Some of these cranes will be underwhelming too, and would make a Haligonian chuckle. The crane at the Wingate Hotel project in Dieppe for example is a mini tower crane. The crane at the GDH is just a large mobile crane.

josh_cat_eyes
Jun 18, 2016, 2:46 PM
Exciting times yes, but don't count your cranes before they're hatched..... :haha:

Some of these cranes will be underwhelming too, and would make a Haligonian chuckle. The crane at the Wingate Hotel project in Dieppe for example is a mini tower crane. The crane at the GDH is just a large mobile crane.

Yes very exciting times. And I realize some of them are underwhelming, but some of them will be much bigger too.

tmacdougall
Jun 21, 2016, 12:29 PM
Sounds like Mayor Arnold will be joining Eric Gingles on Buzzlocal.tv for weekly council updates.

http://buzzlocal.tv/mrd

mctnguy
Jun 29, 2016, 1:45 PM
Here's some Drone footage of Downtown Moncton / Rib Fest / Atlanticade

At_kqGgtOSE

MonctonRad
Jul 2, 2016, 6:38 PM
Fireworks over Moncton - Canada Day 2016

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13567120_520926408117714_7642737419000405489_n.jpg?oh=10d26c9b3f57098a7212dfda0b513f03&oe=57FD56F7
Times & Transcript photo

BlackYear
Jul 3, 2016, 2:32 AM
That's a nice shot above.

Here's my view below.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/01b_zpsfusclnfi.jpg

benvui
Jul 6, 2016, 12:06 PM
Does anyone else think it is time for Moncton to get it's on forum like Halifax and St. John's? I'm finding it harder and harder to find the threads I want and not to mention anyone else looking for a thread other than a Moncton one must be getting frustrated as they keep dropping off the page. I don't know if at this point it would be possible or not, but I thought I would float the idea to make things a little easier for everyone.

Taeolas
Jul 6, 2016, 12:55 PM
Does anyone else think it is time for Moncton to get it's on forum like Halifax and St. John's? I'm finding it harder and harder to find the threads I want and not to mention anyone else looking for a thread other than a Moncton one must be getting frustrated as they keep dropping off the page. I don't know if at this point it would be possible or not, but I thought I would float the idea to make things a little easier for everyone.

IIRC when the Moncton thread (this one) cracked 10k, the Subforum idea was proposed. (It was just after Saint John's got its subforum I believe). At the time, it was felt there might not be enough traffic to warrant a full SSP like Halifax or even just a subforum like SJ's, so the [Moncton] thread tag in the main Atlantic forum was developed as an interim step.

A few years later now, I'm counting about 14 threads on the main page that are [Moncton] tagged, and the city is still growing strongly. Most of those threads have recent activity too. IMO, we're at the cusp of warranting a subforum like Saint John's; it may not be needed, but it could be useful.

On a slightly different topic that might be better for another thread. I rarely leave the Canadian sections of these boards, but are there any plans for a board-software upgrade in the future? I'm on other boards that are using the Xenoforo software, and it's functionality is really nice (especially compared to the software we're on right now). True thread tags for example, and thread prefixes are very nice, along with Alerts and such.

MonctonRad
Jul 7, 2016, 12:45 AM

I understand your frustrations benvui.

We had this discussion several years ago. SignalHillHiker had joined SSP several months before and had re-energized the St John's thread. When that section became more active, he began to agitate for a St. John's sub forum just like the forum that already existed for Halifax. Since the Moncton thread had also been pretty active for a number of years, we began to look at doing something similar for our city too.

The site administrators were only somewhat lukewarm in their support. They didn't like the idea of compartmentalizing the site too much. They felt this stifled interactions between forumers from different cities. They actually had a point. Most Halifax forumers tend to ignore the broader Atlantic Canada section, while within the Atlantic Canada section, contributors from Freddy, Saint John and Moncton will often interact and make comments on threads from other cities in the province.

If you look at SSP in general, there are only eleven cities in Canada which have their own sub forum. St. John's is by far the smallest of these. It's the 20th largest CMA in Canada. Moncton is the 29th largest CMA in the country. This makes it hard to justify a sub forum for us.

The SSP section that most closely parallels the Atlantic Canada section is the Manitoba/Saskatchewan section. If you look at that section, it is composed of a jumble of threads mostly from Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina. Yes, even Winnipeg doesn't have it's own sub forum and it's a city of over 800,000.

I think as long as we are diligent about the rules and preface each new thread with [Moncton], [Fredericton], [Saint John] or whatever other regional appellation is appropriate, we can probably keep things straight.

The only suggestion I might make would be to make the major threads from each city a "sticky" so that they stay at the top of the listing of threads and never fall off the page. For Moncton, I would include all of the "neighbourhood" threads and the "retail" thread in this category. The project specific threads, like for MH35 or the events centre on the other hand would be allowed to float down the list depending on their popularity. This might be a fair compromise.

It would be interesting to get a mods opinion on this - Myles, Greg???

benvui
Jul 7, 2016, 1:10 PM
That is a good point about the interaction. I just wish that you could go to the next page of the threads so even if they drop off they are easy to find again. I like the idea of putting sticky's on the neighborhood threads for all the major city's and letting the project ones float as they are the ones that will die off eventually anyway. I thought there might be a reason why we didn't go with our on forum in the first place.

Taeolas
Jul 7, 2016, 1:19 PM
I'm not sure if stickying all the neighbourhood threads would work. It would be fine for now, but once Saint John and especially once the Freddy thread forks (Freddy thread's about 2k posts from the magic 10k mark whence we'll probably be ready to subdivide), that could become very unwieldy.

I can understand why we want to avoid splitting the community; but at the same time I don't think we want to make the first page of the Atlantic section all stickies.

If we had different board software, we could put actual city tags on threads, and then you could sort/view by tags. (So if all the Moncton threads were tagged by [moncton] and [New Brunswick] tags, you could click the tag and get all the Moncton or all the NB threads)

That is a good point about the interaction. I just wish that you could go to the next page of the threads so even if they drop off they are easy to find again. I like the idea of putting sticky's on the neighborhood threads for all the major city's and letting the project ones float as they are the ones that will die off eventually anyway. I thought there might be a reason why we didn't go with our on forum in the first place.

What do you mean about not being able to go to the next page of threads? There's a page picker at the bottom of the thread list, just like there's a page picker at the bottom of the post pages. Is there a limitation in your browser maybe that hides that?

MonctonRad
Jul 7, 2016, 1:43 PM

Indeed, under "display options" at the bottom of the page you can also choose to show all threads even from the very beginning if you want. The default is 100 days, but this is customizable. This is how you can find an old thread and then "bump" or resurrect it. :)

mylesmalley
Jul 8, 2016, 1:52 PM
to get a mods opinion on this - Myles, Greg???

I was very much against changing formats the last time this came up and I still am for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It would only serve to split the community and I really value the variety of input from a bigger pool of contributors.

Personally I don't really like creating threads for individual projects unless they're really significant - i.e. the Events Centre. Even then, my view would be that the EC thread should encompass related developments as well. A new thread for each project of significance gets out of hand really quickly. It's better to have a few frequently updated threads than many that are only occasionally updated. We got away from one huge Moncton thread because it was hard to keep up with the 40 new posts per day. It'll probably be 8 months before anything else gets posted on the 55 Queen page.

At the end of the day, the goals are usability and accessibility. I don't really care how things get structured so long as the community feels that this section of the site 'works' in a way that is in line with those goals.

JHikka
Jul 8, 2016, 4:31 PM
At the current time I can't see there being enough reason for there to be a Moncton subforum. St. John's got theirs because they were seeing a large influx of traffic and projects (most of which have dried up with their economy/have been completed) as well as it serving as a general Newfoundland subforum. Moncton is going through a development boom right now, which is good, but unless there's a serious trend in Moncton gaining a lot of traffic on this forum and in large-scale development projects I can't see it happening at the present time.

MonctonRad
Jul 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
More colour for the page:

City Hall Plaza from the roof of Moncton City Hall.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13626548_10153706577306485_6200353493334953188_n.jpg?oh=8b07637eafb85b57341e8e5fd7c17497&oe=57EDDFA9
from Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page

This will look even more urban in 10 years time if a couple of 6-10 storey building get built along Downing Street. :)

habs33
Jul 13, 2016, 1:48 PM
Eastlink Wireless expanding to Moncton https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/47757470/?nopromo=1 Eastlink Wireless is expanding into New Brunswick, with the Metro Moncton area first to receive access to the company’s LTE cellular network.

habs33
Jul 18, 2016, 2:16 PM
The July Planning commission agenda is out
https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residents+English/July+27+2016+PAC+Agenda.pdf

Monctoncore
Jul 19, 2016, 3:16 PM
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760

Reading this, I think the blame should be all on the company Parking Solutions inc. they should be installing proper gates etc. On their private lots, or hiring someone, security etc. to sit at the entrance to the lot only accepting people who have proper passes etc.

Taeolas
Jul 19, 2016, 3:30 PM
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760 (http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760)

Reading this, I think the blame should be all on the company Parking Solutions inc. they should be installing proper gates etc. On their private lots, or hiring someone, security etc. to sit at the entrance to the lot only accepting people who have proper passes etc.

Yeah, instead of installing bigger signs, install a gate system would make more sense. But of course that would cost parking solutions (or the owners) money... both in the cost of the gates AND the loss of income from not being able to boot wayward parkers.

The idea of forcing private lots to be gated is a good one IMO. Then it's obvious when a lot is closed, open, and/or free. Even the free lots it might be worth it to install gates; maybe manual ones that are left open 90% of the time, but could have someone manning them during Events to collect parking fees and what not.

Scarface
Jul 19, 2016, 7:58 PM
Originally Posted by Monctoncore
http://http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-parking-boots-council-vote-1.3683760

Yeah, instead of installing bigger signs, install a gate system would make more sense. But of course that would cost parking solutions (or the owners) money... both in the cost of the gates AND the loss of income from not being able to boot wayward parkers.

The idea of forcing private lots to be gated is a good one IMO. Then it's obvious when a lot is closed, open, and/or free. Even the free lots it might be worth it to install gates; maybe manual ones that are left open 90% of the time, but could have someone manning them during Events to collect parking fees and what not.

I do agree but the city, the company Parking Solutions inc., and private parking lot owners would have to do a 180 on there thinking of the issues, and solutions.

Most owners din't seem to want to add gates after the issue with the private parking lot that has entrances/exits at St George, Lutz, and Archibald. Someone had supposedly damaged the gate on Lutz with there vehicle (Took out the gate out completely).

L'homard
Jul 19, 2016, 10:47 PM
Would you pay to gate your driveway if your neighbours kept parking in it?

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2016, 12:27 AM
Would you pay to gate your driveway if your neighbours kept parking in it?

These parking lots are not at all synonymous with your driveway.

They are a profit making enterprise patrolled by trained extortionists, who's scam is to immobilize your personal property and deprive you of it's use and enjoyment until a ransom is paid (in cash). These thieves are surly and discourteous and serve as judge, jury and executioner. There is no right of appeal.

"So, you're from out of town, didn't know the parking rules, had to get to your lawyer's office about your disability payment (which is in arrears) and you were going to miss your appointment. I don't f'ing care that you only have $50 bucks in the bank. That doesn't matter Jack shit to me. All I know is that you owe me $175 (in undeclarable) cash and if you don't pay up in the next two hours, I'll have your car towed. If you don't have the f'ing money then you had better start panhandling to get it!!. The God damned clock is ticking". Joe Booter then chuckles under his breath and points to his watch.

These vile and unregulated extortionists cannot be tolerated. If we are to protect these private lots, then gates, fences and key cards are the way to go.........

My lot at the hospital is behind a gate and I need a key card to access it. Why should the downtown lots be any different?????

Monctoncore
Jul 20, 2016, 1:33 AM
I do agree but the city, the company Parking Solutions inc., and private parking lot owners would have to do a 180 on there thinking of the issues, and solutions.

Most owners din't seem to want to add gates after the issue with the private parking lot that has entrances/exits at St George, Lutz, and Archibald. Someone had supposedly damaged the gate on Lutz with there vehicle (Took out the gate out completely).

That's not an excuse though, damage happens everywhere.. If you want your spot to be private and you are paying good money for it, then they should be able to install a gate and install it.. Especially since 4 of the downtown lots aren't even paved...

Taeolas
Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 PM
Personally, (and admittedly I am not usually a driver and I'm not down to Moncton often, so I don't really count in two respects), I wouldn't be against cities being able to apply basic standards to private (rented) parking.

Standards like:

* Must have gated entrance (Automated or manned)
* Must be paved
* Must have marked parking spots. (Numbered/labelled/assigned parking is optional)

Similarly, even public parking would at least need to be paved with marked spots; gates optional.

Basically, there should be no more of this "Tear down a building, cover the lot with gravel and rent it out for parking."

And if/when we do get into those situations where a building is torn down, then access to the lot should be blocked with a permanent blockade (chain, boulders, whatever across the driveway(s)) until the site is repurposed. That way, the owner can't just tear it down and have unofficial parking there to try and skirt the regulations above.

With the above, the city would have more control over what becomes parking space, and it would make the parking lots look a bit better in general.

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2016, 2:09 PM

Good point.

Surface parking in the downtown core is a blight at the best of times, but a poorly maintained dirt parking lot with weeds growing everywhere is even worse (especially with a pick-up sitting in the corner of the lot piloted by a slovenly Boot Nazi picking his nose). :rolleyes:

Far better to have minimum standards for private for profit parking lots in the city.
- paving with lines marked.
- fenced in
- gated
- curbs and maybe even some shrubbery

If you're going to have surface parking, at least make it look presentable, and at the same time get rid of the odious practice of booting!!!

MonctonRad
Jul 20, 2016, 2:45 PM

And, just to prove that such a radical concept is possible in downtown Moncton, behold the following:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202016/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-20%20at%2011.37.18%20AM.png

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202016/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-20%20at%2011.36.42%20AM.png

In addition to the large proposed parking lot across the tracks from the new Events Centre, Heritage Resources (owners of Heritage Court) are also planning a couple of new smaller off site parking lots in the downtown south of Main Street.

If you look closely at the site plans, you can see pavement (complete with lines), fencing and some shrubbery. I must admit I don't know about a gate, but the larger lot across from the Events Centre will be gated (and for pay for events centre parking).

I also don't see a booter in sight. ;)

Such things are indeed possible in downtown Moncton!! :)

josh_cat_eyes
Jul 25, 2016, 8:20 PM
http://downtownmoncton.com/downtown-parking/
I'm not sure if this has ever been posted by this map shows downtown parking, which ones are free on evenings and weekends, which ones will boot your vehicle and which ones will tow it, and the hourly and or monthly rates.

MonctonRad
Jul 25, 2016, 10:16 PM
City of Moncton press release:

Moncton building permits are firing on all cylinders
July 25, 2016

MONCTON – City of Moncton building permits have had a very strong showing in the second quarter of 2016, easily exceeding the same period over the past ten years.

The total value of permits for the three months ending June 30 came in at $122 million, up from $37.8 million during the same period last year. Without factoring the $74.8 million permit for the Downtown Centre, the quarter still improved by 24% over last year.

“It is really encouraging to see so much action, especially the burst of construction activity happening in our Downtown,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “We believe there is great momentum right now that is spurring new projects and new investment in our City.”

Residential building permits were particularly strong at $24.1 million for the quarter, up from $8.4 million in Q2 of last year. The quarter saw a good mix of single family dwellings, duplexes, row house construction along the Salisbury Road, and a major addition to an apartment building on Lewisville Road. Institutional permits accounted for $4.75 million or 3.9 per cent of the quarter’s activity, largely shared between renovations at the Moncton Hospital and Harrison Trimble High School.

Commercial activity in the second quarter included $4.3 million in additions at Organigram, $800,000 in new office/retail space on Mountain Road near Gorge Road, as well as a good number of renovation projects. These included sites such as Iron Mountain, Fedex, the retail area at 165 Main St., Altec Construction, and a training facility at Heritage Court for WestJet. Excluding the Downtown Centre, there were 90 commercial permits issued in the quarter valued at $16.8 million – compared with 61 permits worth $9.2 million over the same period last year.

The total number of permits issued year-to-date is 604 – the highest over the past 10 years – and up sharply from 451 during the first half of 2015. The total value year-to-date is just shy of $164 million, where it was nearly $47 million ahead of this time last year.

The City’s Economic Development team also continues to nurture relationships that are bringing new development and opportunities into the City.

“We’re really focused on bringing a concierge approach to investors and developers,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We want to help facilitate investment activity from concept to opening, and beyond – which has a huge impact on confidence when choosing to build in Moncton.”

Mattyyy
Aug 17, 2016, 10:13 PM
I'm hearing rumors of a government announcement tomorrow with funds for a causeway replacement - anybody hearing anything? :shrug:

L'homard
Aug 17, 2016, 10:36 PM
I'm hearing rumors of a government announcement tomorrow with funds for a causeway replacement - anybody hearing anything? :shrug:

Hearing this as well since late last week but just talk, nothing solid. I don't think it will be tomorrow as that's the day they rename the airport in honour of Dominic's dad.
Even though I highly doubt it will happen Thursday, I hope it's true!

Edit: Did some poking around and just learned there is a news conference at Moncton city hall tomorrow afternoon for a big infrastructure announcment. So you never know!

Monctoncore
Aug 17, 2016, 10:39 PM
What are they doing along the causeway right now? I drove by this afternoon and there was a huge machine, looked like the ones they use to drive piles. I am sure I'm wrong, but they looked like they were up to something.

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 17, 2016, 10:44 PM
What are they doing along the causeway right now? I drove by this afternoon and there was a huge machine, looked like the ones they use to drive piles. I am sure I'm wrong, but they looked like they were up to something.

Getting an early start before they announce funding haha :haha: ?

Mattyyy
Aug 17, 2016, 11:09 PM
Getting an early start before they announce funding haha :haha: ?

I actually wouldn't be surprised. I also heard that had to do with a new bridge and I don't think it's typically equipment just to do maintenance on the causeway. They were certainly drilling - could be soil samples?

Franco401
Aug 17, 2016, 11:13 PM
I have not driven the causeway in a long time, what are the expectations for the configuration of a bridge? I have heard hopes for the removal of the roundabout on the Moncton side, but what would be planned for Riverview and what will become of the at-grade crossing to Baig Boulevard?

Good2go
Aug 17, 2016, 11:29 PM
soil samples?

Yes.

MonctonRad
Aug 18, 2016, 12:39 AM
I have not driven the causeway in a long time, what are the expectations for the configuration of a bridge? I have heard hopes for the removal of the roundabout on the Moncton side, but what would be planned for Riverview and what will become of the at-grade crossing to Baig Boulevard?

@Franco401

Behold:

http://www.gnb.ca/cnb/televox/photo/2007aug7_1.jpg

I have heard nothing to suggest they are planning to remove the Causeway Traffic Circle. The CNR mainline causes real problems in reconfiguring the Salisbury Rd/Main St/Wheeler Blvd intersection.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make the big announcement to replace the causeway this week. This has been a big pet project of Dominic LeBlanc for a long time, and would follow hot on the heels of the renaming ceremony at the GMIA in honour of his father, and the announcement of the new major medical research institute for ACRI, the UdeM medical school and the GDH (and the announcement of new funding to renovate the Capitol/Empress Theatre and the Aberdeen Cultural Centre).

These announcements often come in batches. :rolleyes:

MonctonRad
Aug 18, 2016, 11:30 AM
It was interesting to see (hear) a new segment on Information Morning on CBC Radio this AM.

It was called"and what are they building now?"

The segment will allow members of the public to write or call in to the program about projects around the city that they are wondering about. There's just so much construction going on, the public apparently can't keep track.......... :haha:

I kinda wonder if this segment wasn't inspired a bit by online forums such as ours.

Good2go
Aug 18, 2016, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=MonctonRad;7534722]It was interesting to see (hear) a new segment on Information Morning on CBC Radio this AM.

It was called"and what are they building now?"

The segment will allow members of the public to write or call in to the program about projects around the city that they are wondering about. There's just so much construction going on, the public apparently can't keep track.......... :haha:
QUOTE]

I'm going to ask them what is going on in front of the CBC's own building?

Taeolas
Aug 18, 2016, 11:45 AM
Heh, in Freddy's case, they could do a "What road are they tearing up now?" Freddy's building construction seems a bit down; but I swear there isn't a road in the city that doesn't have a crew doing something on it.

habs33
Aug 24, 2016, 3:10 PM
Per City of Moncton FB page, Codiac Transpo is now included in Google Transit’s trip planning tool.

https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html

Taeolas
Aug 24, 2016, 3:31 PM
Per City of Moncton FB page, Codiac Transpo is now included in Google Transit’s trip planning tool.

https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html

Freddy Transit was in that years ago. But it seems no one sent Google the updated route plans after the routes changed a couple of years ago.

habs33
Aug 25, 2016, 10:35 PM
The province has started planning on replacing causeway
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/atlantique/2016/08/25/016-acadie-nouveau-brunswick-moncton-pont-chaussee-forage.shtml

MonctonRad
Aug 25, 2016, 11:46 PM
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/atlantique/2016/08/25/016-acadie-nouveau-brunswick-moncton-pont-chaussee-forage.shtml

I don't think Brian would be coughing up the money for this preparatory work without a firm (albeit unofficial) guarantee of federal money from his patron, mentor and political godfather Dominic.

L'homard
Aug 26, 2016, 12:13 AM
I see nothing in that report that even hints that the province has begun preparations for replacing the causeway. :shrug:

habs33
Aug 26, 2016, 12:36 AM
There has been planning work ongoing this summer for sure. Friend of my at BA has been working with the province on moving their fiber lines that run besides the causeway

I see nothing in that report that even hints that the province has begun preparations for replacing the causeway. :shrug:

Mattyyy
Aug 26, 2016, 1:17 AM

Oh no?? Other than Brian Gallant stating specifically they have begun planning to replace the causeway? I would also think the drilling that has been ongoing for over a week is a dead giveaway.

L'homard
Aug 26, 2016, 3:15 PM
Oh no?? Other than Brian Gallant stating specifically they have begun planning to replace the causeway? I would also think the drilling that has been ongoing for over a week is a dead giveaway.

When did he say that? All he says in this story is that he continues to talk with the feds about it. Did the permier announce it elsewhere? I must have missed it.
I have little doubt this project will happen and I will literally stand up and applaud when it does. But I would be more comfortable if someone in either government would confirm that this is a go instead of just a reporter's hunch that, because there's drilling on the causeway, then bridge work has begun.

Sunnybrae
Aug 26, 2016, 4:13 PM

I hope that whatever they are planning with the causeway also includes a new design for that dreadful traffic circle.

habs33
Aug 29, 2016, 8:36 PM
Here's more info on the causeway

Concept designs for new causeway to be released
Concept drawings for the new causeway over the Petitcodiac River will be unveiled to the public Wednesday morning.

The designs, created by the Renaissance Petitcodiac Commission, are conceptual only, says commission spokesman Daniel LeBlanc, and intended to fuel public discussion on what the new span between Moncton and Riverview will look like.

One of the potential designs, which includes walking platforms, curved lampposts and four lanes, was released Monday. The rest of the designs will be made public Wednesday at the Chocolate River Station in Riverview.
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/48315697/?nopromo=1

Franco401
Aug 29, 2016, 11:39 PM
Can anyone screenshot the concepts? TJ has a paywall due to Brunswick News' complete inability to create a web platform worth using.

David_99
Aug 30, 2016, 12:25 PM
Can anyone screenshot the concepts? TJ has a paywall due to Brunswick News' complete inability to create a web platform worth using.

https://s18.postimg.org/qfg754ujd/Screen_Shot_2016_08_30_at_9_24_54_AM.png

Photo Credit: Times & Transcript

MonctonRad
Aug 30, 2016, 12:52 PM

In other words, the new bridge would look a lot like the Gunningsville Bridge (a good thing really)

The integrated pedestrian crossing with viewing platforms would be good. Hikers will be able to do the "grand loop around the Petitcodiac", across the Gunningsville Bridge in one direction and back across the new bridge, using the interconnecting riverfront trails on either side. It would be about a 5-6 km hike or so.

Now here's a point for discussion - Since the causeway will be retired, and replaced by a bridge, the new bridge will need a new name. Which Liberal politician's name do you think we should adorn this new bridge with?? :rolleyes:

Monctoncore
Aug 30, 2016, 1:56 PM
I am okay with the bridge looking similar to the other, but I think it would be nice if it stood out, something aestetically pleasing, more so than gunningsville bridge.

David_99
Aug 30, 2016, 2:33 PM
Which Liberal politician's name do you think we should adorn this new bridge with?? :rolleyes:

I am okay with the bridge looking similar to the other, but I think it would be nice if it stood out, something aestetically pleasing, more so than gunningsville bridge.

https://s21.postimg.org/c02twawxz/bridge2.jpg

MonctonRad
Aug 30, 2016, 3:05 PM

:tup: :haha: :tup:

Seriously though, we should come up with a name.

Since this is a bridge to Riverview, we should have a name meaningful to Riverview or to Albert County in general.

My suggestion would be the Right Honourable R B Bennett Memorial Bridge. He was the only NB native to become Prime Minister of Canada and grew up in Hopewell Cape. :yes:

Scarface
Aug 30, 2016, 3:50 PM
Does anyone remember the rendering of what Gunningsville Bridge was supposed to be compared to what it is.

I do hope they don't do the same with this Bridge, and do hope that they fix the roundabout as well. while there at it they might want to fix on/off ramp 0 that is less on/off ramp, and more of an accident waiting to happen.

CodiacRon
Aug 30, 2016, 6:34 PM
Before spending more money on this project, research on the effect that Global Warming will have on the Bay of Fundy needs to be done. If sea levels rise from 1 to 3 feet as predicted, how much will the tides in the Bay of Fundy rise. The Bay of Fundy amplifies the tides but there has been no research done to predict the effect this will have on the river. At some point in time, in the future, it may be necessary to build a dam down river to protect low lying areas of Moncton and Dieppe. Even a 3 foot rise in sea levels coupled with a storm surge like the Saxby gale could be devastating for this area.

josh_cat_eyes
Aug 30, 2016, 7:59 PM

:tup: :haha: :tup:

Seriously though, we should come up with a name.

Since this is a bridge to Riverview, we should have a name meaningful to Riverview or to Albert County in general.

My suggestion would be the Right Honourable R B Bennett Memorial Bridge. He was the only NB native to become Prime Minister of Canada and grew up in Hopewell Cape. :yes:

What about Bernard Lord or Robs Wells. They're from the area too. :haha:
Seriously though I would support naming it after someone!

Scarface
Aug 31, 2016, 12:23 PM
The city of Moncton is planing to build 2 natural storm water wetlands areas a new take on old ways. The first is already underway in the Fairview Knoll's area, and the second might be the reason projects seem to have stalled in the Shediac Road area. Shediac Road area Storm Water wetlands to be constructed in 2017.

Also like to state for those wondering The Plaza Blvd project on the road side across from the bus Terminal point is going to be the new terminal point, and is supposed to be in use by mid October. People have mixed feeling about it do to the fact it's across the road, and has moved several times the first being before Target opened. (Target was the reason for the majority of the moves), and now we will be back on the topic of no public transit in Moncton if this keeps up.

David_99
Aug 31, 2016, 12:48 PM
The city of Moncton is planing to build 2 natural storm water wetlands areas a new take on old ways. The first is already underway in the Fairview Knoll's area, and the second might be the reason projects seem to have stalled in the Shediac Road area.

Is that what they're doing to Faiview Knoll Park? I was wondering why they were digging it up.

Before
https://s17.postimg.org/cpzq4pga7/Fairview_Knowl.jpg

After
https://s4.postimg.org/jrg5ca5ul/Fairview_Park.jpg