PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

David_99
Aug 31, 2016, 6:42 PM
More Causeway replacement images:

https://s10.postimg.org/9it3gwk6h/Screen_Shot_2016_08_31_at_3_39_04_PM.png

https://s11.postimg.org/kvun562zn/Screen_Shot_2016_08_31_at_3_39_12_PM.png

https://s9.postimg.org/m17obowb3/Screen_Shot_2016_08_31_at_3_38_50_PM.png

https://s11.postimg.org/yhpc4v7gj/Screen_Shot_2016_08_31_at_3_38_39_PM.png

Photos by Times & Transcript

Taeolas
Aug 31, 2016, 6:48 PM
Looks like the Roundabout isn't being touched (not surprising as others have pointed out in the past; it's a mess to try and sort out and outside of the scope of the causeway replacement I'm sure).

Also looks like a fairly major update to the Riverview waterfront in that area.

The pictures are clearly from a presentation; I wonder if the city will be posting it online eventually, instead of leaving it locked to the newspaper?

Nashe
Aug 31, 2016, 6:59 PM
Interesting repurposing of 1) the gates (performance venue) and 2) the fill (lookout hill)...

Monctoncore
Aug 31, 2016, 8:40 PM
It's funny seeing this, especially after I think it was MonctonRad saying on the riverview page that they should focus on tourism and then seeing the "village" which looks like a tourist stop.

CodiacCanuck
Aug 31, 2016, 11:02 PM
Found this video presentation.
It looks ambitious to say the least. If they can pull this off, it will be a spectacular addition.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=910572109054955&id=756640441114790

Nashe
Aug 31, 2016, 11:19 PM
Found this video presentation.
It looks ambitious to say the least. If they can pull this off, it will be a spectacular addition.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=910572109054955&id=756640441114790

Nice video. I've looked at the river from Google Earth many times but it never sunk in how bad the "kink" is where the gates are right now... when I saw the proposal I was wondering why they were diverting the river to preserve the gates... until I realized the proposal RESTORES the path, getting rid of the "kink". Nicely done.

MonctonRad
Sep 1, 2016, 3:59 AM
This is an interesting concept overall, but I wonder how much of this is just a "wish list" of the Riverkeepers, and if any of this is included in the overall anticipated cost of the causeway replacement.

I support the general concept, but I wonder about the boat launch on the Riverview side of the causeway. It's hard to imagine too many people wanting to launch their watercraft into a fairly shallow and muddy river with such variable water levels. If they put this boat launch in, the tri-communities will likely have to at least treble their water rescue budgets...... :haha:

Hogie75
Sep 1, 2016, 9:37 AM
This is an interesting concept overall, but I wonder how much of this is just a "wish list" of the Riverkeepers, and if any of this is included in the overall anticipated cost of the causeway replacement.

I support the general concept, but I wonder about the boat launch on the Riverview side of the causeway. It's hard to imagine too many people wanting to launch their watercraft into a fairly shallow and muddy river with such variable water levels. If they put this boat launch in, the tri-communities will likely have to at least treble their water rescue budgets...... :haha:

My father used to waterski there when he was young before the causeway, he has pictures of the river when the water was clear. It was very popular in the 60's apparently until the causeway was built. It could get back to that again over time. Also pictures of people swimming in there also. I can't even imagine this.

tmacdougall
Sep 1, 2016, 10:25 AM
I believe you'll see boats in the river if they build the launch. What I'm confused about is the fill and keeping the gates there. IMO, I would remove the gates completely. First, they are an eyesore and second, they are a reminder of one of the worst decisions over made in Metro history....the construction for causeway in the first place.

L'homard
Sep 1, 2016, 12:00 PM
A couple of points of clarification:
- This is very much a wish list. There is no funding for any of this and this organization has no money.
- The river was never clear.
I wish them the best of luck. It looks awesome. At least someone is showing imagination even if it's just dreaming at this point.

David_99
Sep 1, 2016, 12:08 PM
What I'm confused about is the fill and keeping the gates there. IMO, I would remove the gates completely. First, they are an eyesore and second, they are a reminder of one of the worst decisions over made in Metro history....the construction for causeway in the first place.

Maybe not having to remove them will reduce the cost of the project.
It may create a (minor) tourist attraction.
Since this is an environmentally driven project, it could be a nice symbol of reuse/recycle.
Repurpose the "worst decision" as a positive meeting area for celebrations while keeping it as a monumental reminder to not make the same mistake again etc etc.

David_99
Sep 1, 2016, 12:29 PM
Unless the Humanity Project can buy the former MCA Curling Club (on Lutz Street) that it is now using as it's headquarters by Oct 31, the Moncton-based charity will be asked to move out. They have been using the building rent-free for the past few months.

The Moncton Curling Club needs the funds from the sale of the building to expand their 80 Lockhart Ave location.

The Humanity Project made a request in July for the City to purchase the building during a public meeting, but no official proposal has been submitted. "The city cannot deny a proposal it has not yet received." said Isabelle LeBlanc, Director of Communications for the City of Moncton

Summary from the Times & Transcript

BlackYear
Sep 1, 2016, 2:23 PM
Unless the Humanity Project can buy the former MCA Curling Club (on Lutz Street) that it is now using as it's headquarters by Oct 31, the Moncton-based charity will be asked to move out. They have been using the building rent-free for the past few months.

The Moncton Curling Club needs the funds from the sale of the building to expand their 80 Lockhart Ave location.

The Humanity Project made a request in July for the City to purchase the building during a public meeting, but no official proposal has been submitted. "The city cannot deny a proposal it has not yet received." said Isabelle LeBlanc, Director of Communications for the City of Moncton

Summary from the Times & Transcript

Myself and a few others in the neighborhood are hoping the Humanity Project exits. It's not the place for this type of organization.

I have absolutely no arguments on the work or support they do for the unfortunate, however, having this type of project right in the middle of a residential area has fumed a few of us. The project is doing great things for those who need it, but it is also attracting the undesirables to the neighborhood who are not respecting property owners.

Trash being left behind on the street, property damage from steeling hanging planters, cutting flowers, stealing from vehicles, and the list goes on.

I've been force to upgrade my security lighting around the house and installing security cameras.

Some homeless folks even began to camp from the large empty parking lot facing Mt Rd.

Am I being a NIMBY? Maybe.

Nashe
Sep 1, 2016, 4:02 PM
To change directions... what's up with the rash of armed robberies in Moncton lately?
Friend of mine was one of the clerks who had a weapon pointed at them recently. :(

Sunnybrae
Sep 1, 2016, 4:16 PM
To change directions... what's up with the rash of armed robberies in Moncton lately?
Friend of mine was one of the clerks who had a weapon pointed at them recently. :(

Maybe it's all the same person committing the crimes. I feel bad for the people that this is happening too and hope the companies involved support them anyway they can. I don't know what kind of deterrent would help stop this but it can't come soon enough.

Taeolas
Sep 1, 2016, 5:24 PM
One of them has been caught (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-bank-robbery-arrest-1.3744091). Hopefully he'll flip on his associates and they were the ones behind the robberies in general.

one of the clerks held up (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/victim-armed-robbery-moncton-1.3744124) has quit her job after the incident. :(

Scarface
Sep 1, 2016, 6:07 PM
Myself and a few others in the neighborhood are hoping the Humanity Project exits. It's not the place for this type of organization.

I have absolutely no arguments on the work or support they do for the unfortunate, however, having this type of project right in the middle of a residential area has fumed a few of us. The project is doing great things for those who need it, but it is also attracting the undesirables to the neighborhood who are not respecting property owners.

Trash being left behind on the street, property damage from steeling hanging planters, cutting flowers, stealing from vehicles, and the list goes on.

I've been force to upgrade my security lighting around the house and installing security cameras.

Some homeless folks even began to camp from the large empty parking lot facing Mt Rd.

I'm not normally that type of person (NIMBY) but for certain things I think it should be said, especially projects that round up the homeless to one area, and turns that area into a dumping ground. I lived on Lutz street, and despite how people viewed the area it was not that bad, and my buddy whom I lived with still lives on the same property, and has had to add several security cameras, and extra lighting, and also has had to fix his fence a few times, replant flowers, and even clean up cigarette butts off the grounds since the Humanity Project has moved in. Before then the only thing we had to do was normal yearly fixes. They have an apartment they have not been able to rent since either, and it was rented 97-100% of the time Before hand. I'm not saying it's the Humanity Project, or the people they are helping causing property damage but it's been happening since they have moved to the MCA building. So I also hope they move out, and the area can go back to some sort of normal.

I was looking around, and a lot of cities have started programs to get homeless people off the streets but none of the projects I've found used buildings within the residential areas(Probably do to the fact that they know what would happen), and in fact most moved there homeless to temporary housing within industrial parks. Maybe the city, and the Humanity project could come up with a similar solution before residents start looking at the Humanity project as the cause of all the damage left behind.

pierremoncton
Sep 1, 2016, 6:32 PM

Though they may have social merit, these places definitely have a negative impact that spreads out to neighbouring streets. I'm in the vicinity of Harvest House and I see the same effect. Dominion, Dufferin, Park and High are sad. Frustrating to try to maintain or improve your property, knowing it's a waste of money. I'm holding off on security cameras because I don't want to make it feel even more like a ghetto. Having the Harvest House and other similar institutions moved away from the city centre would have a positive impact to the St George area a million times greater than those gigantic out-of-place lime-green planters.

David_99
Sep 1, 2016, 6:36 PM
Delete

Scarface
Sep 3, 2016, 3:28 PM
One of them has been caught (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-bank-robbery-arrest-1.3744091). Hopefully he'll flip on his associates and they were the ones behind the robberies in general.

one of the clerks held up (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/victim-armed-robbery-moncton-1.3744124) has quit her job after the incident. :(

They caught another one.

Also like to point out the Food Bank's attempts to get a commercial kitchen for there use is to turn leftovers that would have been seen as garbage turned into things that can be used. NBCC Moncton students turned 200 Lbs of Tomatoes into 120 bags of tomato sauce. They hope to do the same with all leftovers (Not just tomato sauce) But I do see the positive side of this. Now hopefully staff does not take all the food leaving almost nothing for people in need.

Hogie75
Sep 4, 2016, 6:21 PM
Though they may have social merit, these places definitely have a negative impact that spreads out to neighbouring streets. I'm in the vicinity of Harvest House and I see the same effect. Dominion, Dufferin, Park and High are sad. Frustrating to try to maintain or improve your property, knowing it's a waste of money. I'm holding off on security cameras because I don't want to make it feel even more like a ghetto. Having the Harvest House and other similar institutions moved away from the city centre would have a positive impact to the St George area a million times greater than those gigantic out-of-place lime-green planters.

sorry, these are human beings you are talking about that are down on their luck. I would love to see more locations though such as harvest house spread out to other areas of the city and not focus on one area. Maybe up in the evergreen area, dieppe, riverview would be nice to see. So many people need these places to live sadly. I am sorry, but multiple locations is what is needed so not to gather around one place.

pierremoncton
Sep 4, 2016, 8:17 PM
sorry, these are human beings you are talking about that are down on their luck.

Yes, I get that, and I'm empathetic to those who are facing tough circumstances, hence why I said there's social merit to these institutions. I can't say I empathize with everyone who relies on handouts, though, because I see it myself: some have real needs or are willing to help themselves get out of a rut, while others are perpetual freeloaders and parasites, and I won't go further than that.

My point is that if we want to clean up the "extended" downtown (roughly a couple of streets south and north of St George), then these places need to be addressed somehow. Give your head a shake if you think they don't negatively impact the reputation and reality of the neighbourhoods they're in. Move a couple of these places to Hildegarde and see what that neighbourhood looks like in a generation from now.

Hogie75
Sep 5, 2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, I get that, and I'm empathetic to those who are facing tough circumstances, hence why I said there's social merit to these institutions. I can't say I empathize with everyone who relies on handouts, though, because I see it myself: some have real needs or are willing to help themselves get out of a rut, while others are perpetual freeloaders and parasites, and I won't go further than that.

My point is that if we want to clean up the "extended" downtown (roughly a couple of streets south and north of St George), then these places need to be addressed somehow. Give your head a shake if you think they don't negatively impact the reputation and reality of the neighbourhoods they're in. Move a couple of these places to Hildegarde and see what that neighbourhood looks like in a generation from now.

Listen, I am not saying that places like this bring in wealthy millionaires but look at the reviews on their Facebook page and tell me that their services aren't worth it to a community. Its not like churches house people anymore. I would much rather see people come to a few of these places in Greater Moncton than only having one and they all gather in that area. It is the same reason why I am against NB Housing projects all being placed in one area. I guess the one thing we can agree on is there is no easy answers but piling everyone into one location isn't the right answer in my opinion. https://www.facebook.com/TheHarvestHouseatlantic/reviews/

mmmatt
Sep 14, 2016, 1:13 AM
MAIN / CHAMPLAIN UPDATE

https://s26.postimg.org/58h6hf7tl/Untitled_1.jpg
source: me

Honestly feels like the entire length of this road is being worked on right now...especially to someone like me who works on one side (airport) and lives on the other side (west main) :(

All for a good cause of course but a pain none the less...

//rant

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2016, 1:27 AM
Here's an interesting document from 3+ corporation, extolling the virtues of greater Moncton.
http://3plus.ca/documents/Greater_Moncton_Community_Profile_ENG_LQ570d37101d4c6.pdf

The document is fairly new, and uses stats from 2014. Lots of interesting information here. :)

A few interesting takeaways that I noticed:

- they project the greater Moncton CMA population will be 156,000 by 2018.
- the median age of the population in greater Moncton is 40.1 years, which is less than the national average (Canada - 40.6 years, NB - 43.7 years). :eek:
- Lots of higher paying jobs in Moncton (health care - 11,100, education - 4,400, professional services - 4,600, finance & insurance - 4,400)
- the 4,400 jobs in the finance & insurance sector gives Moncton the fourth highest concentration of finance and insurance employment among all urban centres across Canada.
- there are 13,500 post secondary students enrolled in various university, college and technical programs in greater Moncton, including 7,500 university students at UdeM, MTA & Crandall.

There are over 300 firms active in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton. In total, these firms employ more than 5,100 people. Adjusted for population size, there are more people working in the transportation, logistics and warehousing sector in Greater Moncton than any other CMA across Canada.

There's lots more information in this document - it makes for a good read. :tup:

Scarface
Sep 15, 2016, 7:48 AM
Here's an interesting document from 3+ corporation, extolling the virtues of greater Moncton.
http://3plus.ca/documents/Greater_Moncton_Community_Profile_ENG_LQ570d37101d4c6.pdf

The document is fairly new, and uses stats from 2014. Lots of interesting information here. :)

A few interesting takeaways that I noticed:

- they project the greater Moncton CMA population will be 156,000 by 2018.
- the median age of the population in greater Moncton is 40.1 years, which is less than the national average (Canada - 40.6 years, NB - 43.7 years). :eek:
- Lots of higher paying jobs in Moncton (health care - 11,100, education - 4,400, professional services - 4,600, finance & insurance - 4,400)
- the 4,400 jobs in the finance & insurance sector gives Moncton the fourth highest concentration of finance and insurance employment among all urban centres across Canada.
- there are 13,500 post secondary students enrolled in various university, college and technical programs in greater Moncton, including 7,500 university students at UdeM, MTA & Crandall.

There's lots more information in this document - it makes for a good read. :tup:

I could see that 156000 Residents by 2018 unless we have a massive influx of residents for any reason.

I will say one stat I find interesting is that 50% of the population is english only, and there are 50% who speak french. I know it's not the entire province but it's still nice to know next time I speak french to someone I know I can tell some english ass* that there actually half the population, and not 3/4's. As these type of people like to claim.

Mattyyy
Sep 15, 2016, 11:23 AM
Any word on BMM Testlabs? The announcement was about 1 year ago. I would have expected to see some jobs in the city at the point as the first 200 were supposed to be hired this year (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't heard a thing.

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2016, 11:55 AM
I will say one stat I find interesting is that 50% of the population is english only, and there are 50% who speak french. I know it's not the entire province but it's still nice to know next time I speak french to someone I know I can tell some english ass* that there actually half the population, and not 3/4's. As these type of people like to claim.

One always has to view statistics with a jaundiced eye, as stats are frequently used to justify a persons preconceptions (depending on how they are manipulated).

You seem to be assuming that since 47% of the population speaks French, that means that 47% of the population must be francophone Acadian.

This is what the statistics in this document actually say:

Of the 150,000 people in the Moncton CMA:
- 50% speak English only
- 47% are bilingual English/French
- 3% are francophone only.

A different point of view would be that 97% of greater Moncton's population is able to understand the English language, and that only 3% cannot. :rolleyes:

It is also fallacious to argue that all bilingual people must be Acadian. Thanks to French immersion programs, a sizable number of the younger Anglophone population can understand French to some degree, with probably 10-20% being functionally bilingual. In all likelihood, the population breakdown in greater Moncton is probably 60% native Anglophone and 40% native francophone.

You can break down the linguistic split on a community, metropolitan or regional basis.

On a community basis:
- Moncton (pop 70,000) is probably 2/3rds anglophone (47,000) and 1/3rd francophone (23,000)
- Dieppe (pop 25,000) is supposedly 80% francophone (20,000) and 20% Anglophone (5,000)
- Riverview (pop 20,000) is 95% anglophone (19,000) and 5% francophone (1,000)

Thus the tri-community area (the urban area, pop 115,000) has an anglophone population of 71,000 (61.8%) and a francophone population of 44,000 (38.2%)

The Moncton CMA includes large swatches of adjacent exurban territory (including Memramcook, Salisbury, Petitcodiac and Hillsborough but curiously not Shediac or Sackville)

The CMA population is 150,000 (about 35,000 greater than the urban population). The exurban watershed is probably slightly more francophone than anglophone and probably pushes the ratio more down to the range of 60/40 in favour of the anglophone population.

Finally, you can look at the greater Moncton economic region (all of Westmorland, Albert and Kent counties), which combined have a population of about 230,000. Since there is a larger population in Kent County than in Albert County, you're probably getting down closer to a 50/50 population split in the whole economic region.

So - are you talking about the:
- City of Moncton (pop - 70,000, 67% anglophone)
- the tricommunity area (pop - 115,000, 62% anglophone)
- the official CMA (pop - 150,000, 60% anglophone)
- the economic region (pop - 230,000, 50-55% anglophone)

And BTW, not all unilingual anglophones are "ass*"...... :hell:

Scarface
Sep 15, 2016, 12:45 PM
One always has to view statistics with a jaundiced eye, as stats are frequently used to justify a persons preconceptions (depending on how they are manipulated).

You seem to be assuming that since 47% of the population speaks French, that means that 47% of the population must be francophone Acadian.

This is what the statistics in this document actually say:

Of the 150,000 people in the Moncton CMA:
- 50% speak English only
- 47% are bilingual English/French
- 3% are francophone only.

A different point of view would be that 97% of greater Moncton's population is able to understand the English language, and that only 3% cannot. :rolleyes:

It is also fallacious to argue that all bilingual people must be Acadian. Thanks to French immersion programs, a sizable number of the younger Anglophone population can understand French to some degree, with probably 10-20% being functionally bilingual. In all likelihood, the population breakdown in greater Moncton is probably 60% native Anglophone and 40% native francophone.

You can break down the linguistic split on a community, metropolitan or regional basis.

On a community basis:
- Moncton (pop 70,000) is probably 2/3rds anglophone (47,000) and 1/3rd francophone (23,000)
- Dieppe (pop 25,000) is supposedly 80% francophone (20,000) and 20% Anglophone (5,000)
- Riverview (pop 20,000) is 95% anglophone (19,000) and 5% francophone (1,000)

Thus the tri-community area (the urban area, pop 115,000) has an anglophone population of 71,000 (61.8%) and a francophone population of 44,000 (38.2%)

The Moncton CMA includes large swatches of adjacent exurban territory (including Memramcook, Salisbury, Petitcodiac and Hillsborough but curiously not Shediac or Sackville)

The CMA population is 150,000 (about 35,000 greater than the urban population). The exurban watershed is probably slightly more francophone than anglophone and probably pushes the ratio more down to the range of 60/40 in favour of the anglophone population.

Finally, you can look at the greater Moncton economic region (all of Westmorland, Albert and Kent counties), which combined have a population of about 230,000. Since there is a larger population in Kent County than in Albert County, you're probably getting down closer to a 50/50 population split in the whole economic region.

So - are you talking about the:
- City of Moncton (67% anglophone)
- the tricommunity area (62% anglophone)
- the official CMA (60% anglophone)
- the economic region (50-55% anglophone)

And BTW, not all unilingual anglophones are "ass*"...... :hell:

I din't say that all Unilingual anglophones are ass* I do have friends who are Unilingual anglophones, and they are also quick to call out the ass* as well. I'm saying next time the subject comes up I can bring this info up. The Anglophones who tend to have an issue with Francophone's in general tend to count Bilingual people as English in there arguments. Also seem to like to bring up history but only the parts they don't think can bite em in the ass.

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2016, 1:45 PM
Any word on BMM Testlabs? The announcement was about 1 year ago. I would have expected to see some jobs in the city at the point as the first 200 were supposed to be hired this year (correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't heard a thing.

Yes, I know what you mean.

Politicians are great for showing up to ceremonies where they can make announcements for 1,000 new jobs (like with BMM), but the reality is that frequently it takes years for the jobs to materialize (or sometimes the project gets quietly canned and the jobs never happen).

At the very least, there should have been some announcement as to where they are going to lease space (or build their "campus" as they had hinted). So far though, all we hear is the quiet sound of crickets.

If there is no further word on BMM by next summer, we should get concerned......

Sandbagger
Sep 15, 2016, 2:15 PM
Was reading through the fall issue for the GMCC mag today. Here are some points of interest:

- In Moncton, building permits through end of June totalled $164M up from $47M last year

- Total permits during this time was 604, the highest in 10 years and up from 451 last year

- Dieppe permits totalled $26m and Riverview $8M during this time

- Stated that Five-Five on Queen St is set to begin construction in September

- Stated that phases 2 and 3 of the Downing St project are contingent on land acquisition by the city so I would imagine there are no immediate plans for those projects

- The owner of Thai Zone in Dieppe and soon to be Moncton has plans to expand to 10 locations around the Maritimes. He is aiming to open two to three next year

- There was also a rather lengthy piece on the downtown center with some interesting study statistics, but most of it was the same stuff that has already been discussed here.

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 15, 2016, 3:28 PM
I could see that 156000 Residents by 2018 unless we have a massive influx of residents for any reason.

When people say that the majority of people speak English, they don't mean just as a first language. The majority of people in NB can speak English as a first OR second language. So next time some I speak English to some French ass* I'll make it clear they're still a minority and although I am all for fair treatment of different peoples, I'm not for giving them a sense of entitlement.

mylesmalley
Sep 15, 2016, 8:08 PM
Can we agree that every group has it's own share of assholes and just move on? It's so hard to tell tone from text messages and way too easy for some topics to go completely off the rails. Please just try to keep things respectful.

BlackYear
Sep 15, 2016, 10:47 PM
- In Moncton, building permits through end of June totalled $164M up from $47M last year

- Riverview $8M during this time

:eek:

Moncton :poke: Riverview

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2016, 11:38 PM
:previous:

Riverview = <crickets><crickets><crickets>

There really needs to be a cricket emoticon - mods??? :)

felip_ars
Sep 16, 2016, 6:32 PM

Yes, I know what you mean.

Politicians are great for showing up to ceremonies where they can make announcements for 1,000 new jobs (like with BMM), but the reality is that frequently it takes years for the jobs to materialize (or sometimes the project gets quietly canned and the jobs never happen).

At the very least, there should have been some announcement as to where they are going to lease space (or build their "campus" as they had hinted). So far though, all we hear is the quiet sound of crickets.

If there is no further word on BMM by next summer, we should get concerned......

Radio-Canada did an investigation last week and found out that only 56 new hirings happened in the Year 1 (putting the total to 86). BMM is blaming it on "recruiting and training" tougher than expected (didn't the CCNB course was specifically made for those jobs?).

The government response was "Be Patient, it's moving forward".

Or it could be, like you mentioned, that certain projects got cut off. I myself work in the QA sector, and encounter my share of "contract" project.

Marty_Mcfly
Sep 23, 2016, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,

A bit of an off-topic post, I hope you'll forgive me. Myself and a few colleagues will be in Moncton the first week in October on business. It's all of our first times in Moncton. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars/cool Moncton things to check out? Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions :cheers:

Nashe
Sep 24, 2016, 2:31 AM
Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions :cheers:
Pumphouse
Tide & Boar

BlackYear
Sep 24, 2016, 3:32 AM
Hey guys,

A bit of an off-topic post, I hope you'll forgive me. Myself and a few colleagues will be in Moncton the first week in October on business. It's all of our first times in Moncton. Any suggestions on restaurants/bars/cool Moncton things to check out? Bonus points for microbrewery suggestions :cheers:

Pumphouse for micro brewery. And while downtown, got to Tide & Bore Gastropub, Old Triangle Irish Ale House, St-James Gate, Third Glass Wine & Martini Bar, Blue Olive Restaurant, The Keg, Osaka Hibachi, and much more just within 5 blocks downtown Main street.

Award winning Magnetic Hill Zoo, Casino NB next to Magnetic Hill, Magnetic Hill Winery and might as well ride the actual Magnetic Hill while there.

Moncton riverfront. Check the Tidal Bore schedule online. Walk the riverfront and view the Codiac RCMP Memorial.

Moncton Museum is a few blocks away from Main street. New Moncton Events Centre under construction on Main st. Zombie Manor might be open by the time you get here.

If it's just a bunch of guys coming down, make sure to check out Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops.

That should keep you busy for a while.:)

NBNYer
Sep 24, 2016, 2:04 PM
Hey guys,

I find Tide and Boar has a great selection of beer, a great ambiance and often has good live acts on the weekend. I slightly prefer it over the Pumphouse but if you are looking for a more authentic microbrewry experience, then try the Pumphouse.

The Third Glass has an amazing selection of wines and has a fantastic upscale ambiance and cool crowd. No food there and limited selection of a few imported beers but there is no better place for wine and cocktails.

The best restaurant in town by far (IMO) is Little Louis but it is slightly out of the way on Collishaw street. If you want to stay within walking distance downtown, then Grotto on Westmorland has a great appetizer concept and drinks. Nice upscale ambiance and bar crowd too. The Keg is one of my favorites downtown but I think you guys have one in St John's so you might want to try something different.

All things considered, you probably can't go wrong with Tide and Boar. Make sure you get a table on the ground floor, the lower level is much less appealing.

Welcome and have fun! :tup:

Marty_Mcfly
Sep 24, 2016, 7:32 PM
Thanks all! I'll report back once the trip is over :cheers:

gehrhardt
Sep 26, 2016, 11:58 AM
All things considered, you probably can't go wrong with Tide and Boar. Make sure you get a table on the ground floor, the lower level is much less appealing.

Welcome and have fun! :tup:

My wife and I and a couple of friends sat downstairs at the Tide and Boar on the weekend. We all think it's great. It's the same food and beer, but a heck of a lot less crowded and much quieter.

Don't forget the Laundromat on St. George if you are looking for beer!

L'homard
Sep 26, 2016, 3:32 PM
Don't forget the Laundromat on St. George if you are looking for beer!

What he said ^^^^^. The place is not much to look at, but man do they ever have the most extensive selection of micro-brews.

NBNYer
Sep 26, 2016, 3:56 PM
It's the same food and beer, but a heck of a lot less crowded and much quieter.

All depends on what you're looking for I guess.

ErickMontreal
Sep 29, 2016, 11:36 AM
Une entreprise américaine veut construire des wagons-citernes à Moncton

EXCLUSIF - Radio-Canada a appris que la compagnie ARS Canada Rolling Stock, qui a son siège social en Floride aux États-Unis, a l'intention de construire des centaines de wagons-citernes à Moncton.

La compagnie américaine veut construire, entre autres, des wagons de type TC-117 destinés à transporter du pétrole.

L'entreprise a fait l'acquisition en 2015 de l'ancienne usine Industrial Rail Services située à côté du parc industriel de Moncton. Le lieu est tout indiqué étant donné qu'on y faisait déjà la remise à neuf de wagons pour Via Rail.

ARS Canada Rolling Stock devrait commencer à construire les wagons-citernes TC-117 au milieu de 2017. L'entreprise assemblera également des wagons à grains et de marchandises.

La compagnie prévoit assembler 1500 wagons pour débuter. Les wagons seront destinés aux marchés canadien et américain.

Moncton a une longue histoire ferroviaire. La ville a longtemps été une plaque tournante pour la réparation des locomotives et des wagons de marchandise du Canadien National.

La nouvelle usine d'assemblage de wagons créera 200 emplois dans une première phase : des mécaniciens industriels, des soudeurs et des peintres, ARS Canada Rolling Stock prévoit atteindre 450 emplois après 3 ans et plus de 700 après 5 ans.

Plusieurs de ces emplois sont d'ailleurs déjà affichés sur le site internet de l'entreprise. Des travaux de rénovation sont présentement en cours à l'usine.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/atlantique/2016/09/29/001-wagon-citerne-petrole-tc117-moncton-nouveau-brunswick.shtml

MonctonRad
Sep 29, 2016, 12:01 PM

Up to 700 new jobs after five years - that's huge!!

Lots of high skill trades positions too. That should be a good payroll. :tup:

mmmatt
Sep 30, 2016, 12:47 AM

Up to 700 new jobs after five years - that's huge!!

Lots of high skill trades positions too. That should be a good payroll. :tup:

Nice!

I'll add to the ongoing list with some updates

WestJet Call Center: 400
- This is happening for sure, they are training waves of folks now from a training center downtown before they are sent a kit of supplies to set up their homes.

Organigram: between 113 - 300
- This is ongoing and hiring will escalate as crops build. Of course the high end figure will depend on new laws passing I believe.

BMM Testlabs: up to 1000
- They are still operating out of their office in Dieppe
- They are training folks at local colleges prior to ramping up

TD Bank Call Center: ???
- havent heard any updates on this for a while...Erick?

ARS Canada Rolling Stock: up to 700
- Just announced today.

That's a pretty good lineup, well rounded with trades, technology, and "agri" based jobs...if all these projections maxed out it would be 2,400 direct jobs (not including TD as I don't know any numbers). :tup:

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2016, 12:58 AM

Further to the above - here's the (belated) English CBC article on this development:

Moncton lands new rail car manufacturing plant
ARS Canada Rolling Stock will build rail cars at old Hump Yard, employ up to 700
By Tori Weldon, CBC News Posted: Sep 29, 2016 4:09 PM AT
Last Updated: Sep 29, 2016 4:09 PM AT

Radio-Canada reports Miami-based ARS Canada Rolling Stock plans to start production of grain hoppers, box cars and TC-117 rail cars in Moncton, saying it will create 200 jobs in the first phase of production.

TC-117 rail cars will replace the DOT-111s which were involved in the 2013 Lac-Mégantic disaster, and are being phased out of use by Nov. 1 because of regulations imposed by Transport Canada.

ARS Canada Rolling Stock CEO Arturo Contreras said Moncton was the company's choice to start Canadian production because of its history as a rail town.

"It has plenty of advantages in terms of logistics, the available skill traits and the very friendly business environment provided by the province that basically led us to decide to start our venture in New Brunswick," said Contreras.

"Saint John and Belledune offer excellent possibilities for logistics involved for the order supply chain and as important as that is, we chose the Moncton shop because it's a CN hub, which is a class one railroad [allowing] us to connect anywhere in North America once our cars are ready to deliver," he said.

The company plans to produce 1,500 rail cars to be used in the Canadian and U.S. markets within the first year of production.

Contreras said the assembly plant will create 200 jobs in the first phase, including welders, mechanics and general labourers.

Many positions are already posted on the company's web site and he hopes to increase the number of employees to 450 after three years and to more than 700 after five years.

Contreras told CBC details of its agreement with the Gallant government to bring ARS to Moncton will be revealed at an announcement in October.

full article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-rail-car-train-jobs-1.3784247

Personal note:

- I guess Moncton is still a railway town after all! If this all pans out, and with the residual CNR offices in the city and the hump yard, the railway legacy of our city should be secure, for a while at least.

- The need for the new TC-117 tanker cars for oil transport should provide secure work for this facility for years, but I'm glad to see that they will be producing other types of rail cars as well.

- I certainly am happy to see the addition of some high paying trades jobs to the local economy.

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2016, 1:02 AM
TD Bank Call Center: ???
- havent heard any updates on this for a while...Erick?

I believe the back office centre was to be for TD Insurance. I'm sure we're talking about hundreds of jobs, but there has been no formal announcement of this. I believe Erick though, he works in the industry in SJ.

If that pans out, that means about 3,000 new jobs in the next 3-5 years. Even with a 2X multiplier effect (which is conservative) that should bring 6,000 jobs to the economy, which might mean another 12-15,000 people to the metro area.

ErickMontreal
Sep 30, 2016, 1:17 AM
I believe the back office centre was to be for TD Insurance. I'm sure we're talking about hundreds of jobs, but there has been no formal announcement of this. I believe Erick though, he works in the industry in SJ.

Well, the rumor at work is that TD Bank is planing to bring a line of service back to Canada, and Moncton is being considered due to bilingual workforce.

It is still up in the air although the last time this kind of rumor was floating around, 275 jobs were created in SJ

MonctonRad
Oct 2, 2016, 11:24 PM
Interesting StatsCan map showing growth in the Moncton CMA over the last 40 years.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/16-201-x/2016000/m-c/map3.14-eng.gif

David_99
Oct 6, 2016, 12:50 PM
https://s17.postimg.org/vf1zgjtxb/Screen_Shot_2016_10_06_at_9_47_49_AM.png

Times & Transcript

MonctonRad
Oct 6, 2016, 1:02 PM

The new police HQ keeps getting punted down the road (2019 now), but I suppose they want to get the events centre out of the way with first......

Monctoncore
Oct 6, 2016, 3:04 PM

The new police HQ keeps getting punted down the road (2019 now), but I suppose they want to get the events centre out of the way with first......

One thing about that is atleast we know the HQ is going to get built, no matter if it's next year or 2021.. all I am hoping for is that they. Hold it right at the bottom of the new Downing Street.. I think honestly it would be a great fit for downing and it would give that street an extra sense of safety.

Marty_Mcfly
Oct 8, 2016, 2:20 PM
Moncton update: I loved the city. Really thought downtown was beautiful :D Ended up at the Tide and Boar pretty much every day since they've apparently started brewing their own (amazing) beer. Hope to be back again someday :cheers:

MonctonRad
Oct 8, 2016, 2:28 PM

You should come back in a few years. With 55 Queen (including another brew pub), Downing Street Phase Two, the events centre and the Junction Urban Village projects on the go, you won't be able to recognize the place. :)

I hope all the road construction didn't give you too much grief......

Marty_Mcfly
Oct 8, 2016, 3:12 PM

You should come back in a few years. With 55 Queen (including another brew pub), Downing Street Phase Two, the events centre and the Junction Urban Village projects on the go, you won't be able to recognize the place. :)

I hope all the road construction didn't give you too much grief......

Didn't actually see much :haha: I can't complain though, for the past month St. John's has been doing construction on the perimeter highway and the main thoroughfares through the city all at once, right in the middle of rush hour.

Scarface
Oct 20, 2016, 12:07 PM
Seem to be New schools in the works for the Anglophone East Students. The new School that is only in the talking phase currently would be to replace Bessborough since it seems renovations to that school would fall in the 15 million+ range, and that does not cover potential expansion that would be needed.

A second option on the table would be to add Hillcrest School to the calculations but that school is also in need of major repairs.

This would potentially be the perfect situation for a prefab school structure to come into play since we keep growing, and need New Schools built, and not only to replace the old ones either.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2016, 2:19 PM

We don't need prefab schools. On the contrary, we need durable school buildings that can last 100 years or more.

Schools are important anchors for neighbourhoods. They help to give a community a focal point and a meeting place. They shouldn't be disposable.

Having said this, I'm not adverse to combining Hillcrest and Bessborough. The enrolment at Hillcrest is pretty small and could be accommodate by a modest expansion at Bessborough.

It's hard for me to believe that Bessborough needs replacing. It's actually one of the more modern looking anglophone schools in the older part of Moncton. It's also got a perfect location at the centre of the New West End. In order to find the land necessary to build a replacement school, they would have to look further afield. I would hate to see a reprise of the Moncton High School fiasco...... :rolleyes:

Pur my vote down for a refurbishment (and a minor expansion) of Bessborough, and the closure of Hillcrest.

mylesmalley
Oct 20, 2016, 4:07 PM

We don't need prefab schools. On the contrary, we need durable school buildings that can last 100 years or more.

Schools are important anchors for neighbourhoods. They help to give a community a focal point and a meeting place. They shouldn't be disposable.

Having said this, I'm not adverse to combining Hillcrest and Bessborough. The enrolment at Hillcrest is pretty small and could be accommodate by a modest expansion at Bessborough.

It's hard for me to believe that Bessborough needs replacing. It's actually one of the more modern looking anglophone schools in the older part of Moncton. It's also got a perfect location at the centre of the New West End. In order to find the land necessary to build a replacement school, they would have to look further afield. I would hate to see a reprise of the Moncton High School fiasco...... :rolleyes:

Pur my vote down for a refurbishment (and a minor expansion) of Bessborough, and the closure of Hillcrest.

There's a perfectly good piece of land out on the Hump Yard road that would be perfect for a new school to replace Hillcrest and Bessborough.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2016, 4:14 PM
There's a perfectly good piece of land out on the Hump Yard road that would be perfect for a new school to replace Hillcrest and Bessborough.

Surely you jest...... :haha:

Scarface
Oct 21, 2016, 1:42 AM

Pur my vote down for a refurbishment (and a minor expansion) of Bessborough, and the closure of Hillcrest. The prefab's I'm talking about are probably not what you're thinking of "Moncton Rad" There are actually Prefab schools/school sections you would not realize where built in sections. The companies who build these schools also pride themselves in building other types of businesses as well like Fast food restaurants, Gas station.convenience stores, and even shopping strips, and have not had any issues with water infiltration, or mold issues. They are well sealed together to avoid any cracks where water can penetrate, and even claded in your preferred material be it Stone, Brick, or even siding.

I was thinking more the old unused farmland by the Allison United Baptist Church, or even Allison Creek Wines. I think there is a big enough empty plot of land there. :D

No but kidding aside I had talked to a friend of mine who had worked on the St Bernadette School, and he said from what had been said by the Anglophone School board they would follow that example but there are a few problems. 1. School is still in session while construction work is being done, and 2 Safety because of the Construction while kids are in School.

There is another issue if they put both schools together the Province would potentially be stuck with at least 1 if not both plots of land ti'll something can be done with it/them Unless the either the city, or some private organization is taking over the property/properties.

There is also the little issue with what the potential school would look like (Size), and the lack of land in the area that could accommodate such a structure with everything else.

Walk then Run
Oct 25, 2016, 12:07 AM
...I had talked to a friend of mine who had worked on the St Bernadette School, and he said from what had been said by the Anglophone School board they would follow that example but there are a few problems. 1. School is still in session while construction work is being done, and 2 Safety because of the Construction while kids are in School.

There is another issue if they put both schools together the Province would potentially be stuck with at least 1 if not both plots of land ti'll something can be done with it/them Unless the either the city, or some private organization is taking over the property/properties.

There is also the little issue with what the potential school would look like (Size), and the lack of land in the area that could accommodate such a structure with everything else.

I realize that I am under a different school district, but my real life contradiction is the current building of the new West Saint John elementary school which has been ongoing for the last two years all while the kids lost their playground and had to endure pounding machinery during rock removal and construction.

So goodbye soccer field, and hello new three story school to replace the two others.

mylesmalley
Oct 25, 2016, 12:25 AM
It isn't an ideal situation to lose the school fields for a year while construction is ongoing, but that's far preferable to having the school removed from the neighbourhood permanently.

Consolidating Bessborough and Hillcrest makes sense to me. I doubt it would be that hard to sell the Hillcrest lot for redevelopment. Being right on the lake would be perfect for condos or apartments.

Scarface
Oct 25, 2016, 4:57 AM
I realize that I am under a different school district, but my real life contradiction is the current building of the new West Saint John elementary school which has been ongoing for the last two years all while the kids lost their playground and had to endure pounding machinery during rock removal and construction.

So goodbye soccer field, and hello new three story school to replace the two others.

Here they did the same in District 1 so I understand But as you said it's goodbye fields during construction then Hello New school, and the old build is demolished, and fields replaced. At least that's how they did it here for St Bernadette.

It isn't an ideal situation to lose the school fields for a year while construction is ongoing, but that's far preferable to having the school removed from the neighbourhood permanently.

Consolidating Bessborough and Hillcrest makes sense to me. I doubt it would be that hard to sell the Hillcrest lot for redevelopment. Being right on the lake would be perfect for condos or apartments.

I agree with you that Hilcrest is probably in one of the best re-development sites outside of Downtown. So it should be easy to sell to a developer to re-purpose the site. I just hope if this plan goes through they build a school that will fit the students, and take in mind there might be an expansion of the student population in the future.

*Hint* Counting Hilcrest School lot. There are at least 2 lots within walking distance to Bessborough that could have larger apartment developments, and at least 2 more that would accommodate 12-24 Units. there are also several lots that could potentially accommodate 6-16 units(If the city allows land zoning changes).

tmacdougall
Oct 27, 2016, 12:12 PM
At the GMCC Business Excellence Awards, Event Sponsor Danny Murphy announced in a packed room at th Delta he is closing a deal to purchase the Keg and the Fairfield Inn and Suites here in Moncton.

MonctonRad
Oct 29, 2016, 3:01 PM
At the GMCC Business Excellence Awards, Event Sponsor Danny Murphy announced in a packed room at th Delta he is closing a deal to purchase the Keg and the Fairfield Inn and Suites here in Moncton.

Danny seems to be making a move into Moncton big time with his investments.

And to think I went to high school with him in Charlottetown. I wasn't a friend of his, but I remember him - a jock and a slacker. Now he's a multimillionaire businessman. Who would have guessed......... :rolleyes:

And another interesting business tidbit.

Medavie Blue Cross (based in Moncton) has more than one million members and is the largest provider of Blue Cross insurance services in Canada. It's a true pillar of the Moncton business community. :)

MonctonRad
Nov 6, 2016, 4:23 PM
A little colour (or black & white) for the page.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Screen%20Shot%202016-11-06%20at%2012.10.48%20PM.png

Aerial photo of Moncton, looking to the southwest with the CN marshalling yards in the background.

I'm not sure about the date, but i'm guessing the 1940s.

macas539
Nov 6, 2016, 6:03 PM

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Screen%20Shot%202016-11-06%20at%2012.10.48%20PM.png

Aerial photo of Moncton, looking to the southwest with the CN marshalling yards in the background.

Awesome picture! I believe the tallest building closest to the CN tracks in the upper right corner is Heritage Court. It would have been around just over 20 years old if that picture was taken in the 1940's. So neat to see how much has changed over the decades. Moncton was so industrial looking.

Scarface
Nov 6, 2016, 6:27 PM

It is strange to see old pictures of Downtown, and what it looked like before Highfield Square was built you see the CNR Offices, and the Telephone companies building with a massive empty lot next door. Also all the Buildings south of Main Street that seem to be a mix of Housing, and Industrial/Manufacturing buildings.

Might just be me but. It makes me realize how far Moncton has changed , and how far we have come as a community throughout the years. Makes me appreciate it a whole lot more.

mmmatt
Nov 6, 2016, 8:36 PM

This is exactly the picture I try to describe to folks who like to compare Moncton to other cities around here with denser cores a la Freddy, SJ, Hali and even Charlottetown...those places were all developed quite a bit more by this point. Moncton only hit it's stride in urban development after the 1950s when influence of "car culture" was overwhelming. It's actually pretty awesome the downtown we ended up with given the pressure to build out not up...thankfully that trend is reversing now in general.

pierremoncton
Nov 23, 2016, 3:45 AM
Thought I'd throw this in here:

Majority support the amalgamation of Dieppe, Riverview and Moncton into a single municipal unit

HALIFAX, NS November 22, 2016: A majority of residents in the greater Moncton area (Census Metropolitan Area or CMA) support the amalgamation of Dieppe, Riverview and Moncton into a single municipal unit, according to the most recent survey conducted by Corporate Research Associates Inc.

Specifically, six in ten (60%) completely or mostly support the amalgamation into one municipal unit, while one-quarter (27%) completely or mostly oppose. Less than one in ten neither support nor oppose (7%), or do not know or do not offer an opinion on the matter (7%).

Majority support is not consistent across the CMA, however. Just over one-half (53%) of Riverview residents oppose amalgamation, while one-third (35%) are supportive. In all other areas, there is majority support for amalgamation. Specifically, at least six in ten residents from Moncton (65%), Dieppe (65%), and other parts of the CMA (62%) support amalgamation. Interestingly, Francophones (68%) are more likely than Anglophones (55%) to support amalgamation.

More: https://cra.ca/majority-support-the-amalgamation-of-dieppe-riverview-and-moncton-into-a-single-municipal-unit/

---

I would've expected Dieppe to be as opposed to the idea as Riverview, and for anglophones in general to be more in favour.

Radio-Canada: http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1001571/un-sondage-sur-une-fusion-dieppe-moncton-riverview-fait-reagir-dans-la-region

Acadie Nouvelle: http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actualites/2016/11/22/dieppois-francophones-faveur-de-fusion-grand-moncton/

David_99
Nov 23, 2016, 1:10 PM
That caught me off guard this morning. Was this just a random poll by CRA or has the amalgamation discussion been brought up again by the Gov?

JHikka
Nov 23, 2016, 1:15 PM
That caught me off guard this morning. Was this just a random poll by CRA or has the amalgamation discussion been brought up again by the Gov?

Random poll as far as I can tell.

I think it's pretty obvious why the majority Anglophone Riverview would want no part of Moncton or Dieppe despite how dependent Riverview residents are on their neighbouring communities.

Still, the region absolutely needs to amalgamate in the next ten years. You're only going to see more duplication and red tape without.

Nashe
Nov 23, 2016, 2:54 PM
Still, the region absolutely needs to amalgamate in the next ten years. You're only going to see more duplication and red tape without.Yeah, but how will it remain a flagship of redundancy for a province that is the model of same? :D

Scarface
Nov 23, 2016, 3:05 PM
Random poll as far as I can tell.

I think it's pretty obvious why the majority Anglophone Riverview would want no part of Moncton or Dieppe despite how dependent Riverview residents are on their neighbouring communities.

Still, the region absolutely needs to amalgamate in the next ten years. You're only going to see more duplication and red tape without.

Glad you brought up Riverview with amalgamation. I was talking to Friends in Riverview, and there not sure if it's just there parents, grandparents, and family friends talking, or if it could be a thing. But what was being said was instead of amalgamating Riverview Riverview would amalgamate with other communities south west of the Peticodiac river, and potential become it's own CMA. Not sure if it would happen but you never really do know ti'll something is done right?

benvui
Nov 23, 2016, 3:05 PM
The sample for this poll was pretty small, they only asked 400 people and there is no indication on how many came from each community. I agree however, amalgamation is long overdue and if Dieppe is on board then the government should move quickly to get this done, but I'm not holding my breath on anything to come out of Fredericton on this.

MonctonRad
Nov 23, 2016, 3:58 PM
Glad you brought up Riverview with amalgamation. I was talking to Friends in Riverview, and there not sure if it's just there parents, grandparents, and family friends talking, or if it could be a thing. But what was being said was instead of amalgamating Riverview Riverview would amalgamate with other communities south west of the Peticodiac river, and potential become it's own CMA. Not sure if it would happen but you never really do know ti'll something is done right?

Riverview is already part of the Moncton CMA. There is no precedent at StatsCan to ever subdivide a CMA. This will never happen.

Also, there is not nearly enough people in all of Albert County to justify this. You need a core population of 50,000 people and a watershed of at least 100,000 people to be considered a CMA.

Nope, not ever gonna happen.......

MonctonRad
Nov 23, 2016, 4:01 PM
The sample for this poll was pretty small, they only asked 400 people and there is no indication on how many came from each community. I agree however, amalgamation is long overdue and if Dieppe is on board then the government should move quickly to get this done, but I'm not holding my breath on anything to come out of Fredericton on this.

The small sample size is significant. They may not have asked the right people their opinions (especially in Dieppe). :rolleyes:

Now that the Acadian nationalists have been notified, expect a strong backlash in the next several weeks......... :haha:

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 23, 2016, 4:02 PM
I think that before we go amalgamating the boundaries need to be expanded to prevent further urban sprawl. In Moncton they should expand to include Berry Mills, Allison & Ammon, probably Lakeville too. Riverview should expand to just south of Niagara road and include Lower Coverdale. Dieppe should simply follow the TCH until roughly exit 480 and then as straight as possible go straight back over to the river.

RiverviewGuyToo
Nov 23, 2016, 9:58 PM
I live in Riverview and I'm 50/50 on amalgamation. While it could help kick start development in the town some reasons I'm not keen on seeing it happen is because of services we receive from the town and our low tax rate...

For example, snow clearing in Riverview is considered the gold standard in the region; if the 3 communities amalgamate, I think Riverview residents can say goodbye to the use of road salt and top notch snow clearing. Instead we'll get a mixture of 80% sand and 20% salt laid on top of snow pact with two tire ruts...

Another item I feel may suffer would be the road work - roads in Riverview tend to be in better shape, resurfaced in some sort of planned manner and generally well maintained. One of the reasons I feel that the roads are in better shape overall goes back to the snow clearing, seldom does snow stay on the road long enough to go through the freeze/thaw cycle over a few days...

Also, town hall is just damn friendly, I've lived in Moncton and had to contact city hall before, what a pain in the ass... in Riverview it was night and day - fairly cordial and easy to deal with... could've just been the day, but first impressions...

Some linguistic concerns do creep in, as it stands now Riverview isn't required to have its bylaws translated as it is a town, a large town... and what would it mean for town staff like its firefighters, would there be pressure to make all positions bilingual like in Moncton? You can't get hired as a firefighter in the City of Moncton as a unilingual English person.

Maybe Dieppe and Moncton can amalgamate first, and if things go well, maybe invite Riverview to the party? :)

JHikka
Nov 24, 2016, 5:47 AM

Riverview is already part of the Moncton CMA. There is no precedent at StatsCan to ever subdivide a CMA. This will never happen.

Also, there is not nearly enough people in all of Albert County to justify this. You need a core population of 50,000 people and a watershed of at least 100,000 people to be considered a CMA.

Nope, not ever gonna happen.......

Municipalities cannot make themselves CMAs. They're classified as such by StatCan under some of the rules that MonctonRad pointed out. Riverview is always going to be contained within the Moncton CMA. These aren't official classifications with offices and such, they're merely an organizational tool for statistics and demographics.

What you're talking about Scarface, i'm guessing, is Riverview town merging with Coverdale Parish (or whatever the LSDs are within it). So that's Lower Coverdale, Colpitts Settlement, Pine Glen, Grub Road, etc.

My recommendation would be for the entire Moncton-region to amalgamate into one large urban centre. Moncton City, Dieppe City, Riverview Town, Moncton Parish, Coverdale Parish. Sprawling could be contained for the most part by soaking up the two large parishes north and south of the city. This would also provide an opportunity for the entire region to develop a more cohesive urban and regional plan moving forward. It's not going to work well if there's three of everything (at least).

I suppose the issue is that if Riverview went in that expansion direction, and Dieppe continues in the direction they've been going in with expanding their boundaries, amalgamation can only be so feasible for so long. Eventually, municipalities will be so large and so powerful that they either won't need to amalgamate or would have no incentive to. Then you'd be stuck with three large cities competing with each other over everything like they currently are, just on a larger scale.

I live in Riverview and I'm 50/50 on amalgamation. While it could help kick start development in the town some reasons I'm not keen on seeing it happen is because of services we receive from the town and our low tax rate...

Some linguistic concerns do creep in, as it stands now Riverview isn't required to have its bylaws translated as it is a town, a large town... and what would it mean for town staff like its firefighters, would there be pressure to make all positions bilingual like in Moncton? You can't get hired as a firefighter in the City of Moncton as a unilingual English person.

Basically, moving upwards on the municipal ladder will raise taxes. Moving from a Town to a City downgrades a lot of services onto the municipality as well as forcing regulations on them. That's why we have communities of 10,000+ residents which are still Towns and Villages when they should be Cities under the Municipalities Act. Many are concerned about the bilingual requirements, others about fire and policing, and other simply don't want to raise their tax rates due to competitiveness.

For people in Moncton, how fair is it to have people from Riverview living outside of the City and using its infrastructure and services without any of their taxes feeding into it? I understand municipalities share costs and smaller suburban municipalities will contribute funding, but the more that suburbs expand the less they'll be able to contribute outwardly as costs rise inwardly. Quispamsis is cutting many funding packages for Greater Saint John because they don't want to raise their own property tax rate (and still are anyway) because a higher tax limits their appeal as a suburb.

Riverview can try to keep growing or sustaining itself with minimal tax but it can only grow so large before something needs to happen, either services are cut or taxes are raised.

Mapleton_Roadie
Nov 24, 2016, 6:08 PM
Riverview can try to keep growing or sustaining itself with minimal tax but it can only grow so large before something needs to happen, either services are cut or taxes are raised.

Riverview is quickly approaching that now. I lived there 4 yrs ago and we had approached the Town on installing curbs on our street (the only street in area without them due to old neighbourhood of 30+yrs prior not wanting them then). Town said very low low low priority as they are having a hard time keeping up with infrastructure as it was 4 yrs ago. With the town expanding they couldn't foresee curbs without considerable residential contribution. That aside, Riverview was a great place to live and they definitely have top notch public works and rec depts.

Good2go
Nov 24, 2016, 6:29 PM
For people in Moncton, how fair is it to have people from Riverview living outside of the City and using its infrastructure and services without any of their taxes feeding into it?

Such as?

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 24, 2016, 7:31 PM
Such as?

Let me put it this way, I live in Moncton but I find myself rarely going to Riverview, except to visit my grandparents. Meanwhile my grandparents come to Moncton almost every time they leave the house. They go to the hospital for appointments or go to Costco. So they use the road infrastructure, the hospital is infrastructure. If they were to go to an event at the Casino or the New Events centre downtown, that's another thing. Probably more than 75% of the people living in Riverview work in Moncton.

I think I think you don't want to wait too long to amalgamate or else you'll have a situation like they have on the Avalon in Newfoundland, or a bigger example is Boston/Cambridge.

JHikka
Nov 24, 2016, 10:25 PM
If they were to go to an event at the Casino or the New Events centre downtown, that's another thing. Probably more than 75% of the people living in Riverview work in Moncton.

2011 Census, Commuting Flow

Place of Residence - Riverview
Place of Work:
Moncton 5,600 (65.42%)
Riverview 2,090 (24.42%)
Dieppe 620 (7.13%)
Shediac & Other 460 (2.92%)

Of NB's three big cities Moncton has the lowest % of commuting workforce living within its own city boundaries (49%). That is to say, over half of the people who commute to work in Moncton do so from outside of Moncton's city boundaries. 80% of people living within Moncton city commute to work in Moncton city.

Delusio Cogno
Nov 24, 2016, 11:06 PM
So your logic is that because businesses build in Moncton, and need workers, and Moncton doesn't have enough workers, then any workers from outside who satisfy Moncton's lack should have to pay Moncton tax or amalgamate?

Moncton existence is based on its location as a hub city. The arena is being built bigger because it wants outsiders. There are two regional hospitals in Moncton because the province gives them money to expand rather than a building a third hospital closer to others.

Either Moncton wants outsiders to use their services or they don't. But why else build them too large for the local population?

JHikka
Nov 25, 2016, 12:36 AM
So your logic is that because businesses build in Moncton, and need workers, and Moncton doesn't have enough workers, then any workers from outside who satisfy Moncton's lack should have to pay Moncton tax or amalgamate?

Moncton existence is based on its location as a hub city. The arena is being built bigger because it wants outsiders. There are two regional hospitals in Moncton because the province gives them money to expand rather than a building a third hospital closer to others.

Either Moncton wants outsiders to use their services or they don't. But why else build them too large for the local population?

Because the local capture population for a major events centre is larger than the city's population. In reality, Moncton's actual population is closer to its CMA population (somewhere around 150,000). However, because there are separate municipalities, Moncton's organizational population is roughly half that. This means that unless all of the municipalities contribute equally on projects (which they don't) Moncton is taking the brunt of the fiscal responsibility of running a city of effectively 150,000 people with only the taxbase of half of that.

An amalgamated region would be able to pool the taxes of 150,000 residents and be able to have the financing and revenue to build a city for 150,000 residents. Without that you're going to get underwhelming infrastructure, financial hardship, and duplication of services.

Say CostCo builds a new store on Elmwood. Say the City of Moncton has to foot the costs of expanding/building new roads, water, electrical for the adjoining infrastructure around the site. Say 50% of the customers to the CostCo located within the City of Moncton are from outside the City of Moncton. How is this fair for Moncton residents,outside of CostCo paying property taxes to the City of Moncton? Living in a suburb means you can live in an area with a lower tax rate and use services/work in the urban core at the expense of the taxpayers in that urban core who are covering costs within that urban core.

All three cities in New Brunswick are experiencing this to different degrees right now, along with numerous cities throughout Canada, and the longer things like regional amalgamation/cooperation are put off the worse situations like these become.

mylesmalley
Nov 25, 2016, 12:46 AM
I hate to sound callous, but it's a question of fairness. Why is it fair for people who live on the other side of an arbitrary line to get a better tax rate that is effectively subsidized.

Delusio Cogno
Nov 25, 2016, 10:37 AM
I hate to sound callous, but it's a question of fairness. Why is it fair for people who live on the other side of an arbitrary line to get a better tax rate that is effectively subsidized.

Say an NHL hockey team is put in Montreal. How is it fair that Moncton residents get to go to the Bell Centre to watch the Canadiens play without paying Montreal tax.

Where do you draw the line?

David_99
Nov 25, 2016, 11:23 AM
Where do you draw the line?

Amalgamated city limits would be the line. The large population centres directly bordering Moncton currently.

Delusio Cogno
Nov 25, 2016, 11:43 AM
Amalgamated city limits would be the line. The large population centres directly bordering Moncton currently.

I agree that those areas within walking distance of Moncton are no brainers. But what of the outskirts of Dieppe and Riverview? Those that are just inside the new Moncton will be unfairly treated to those just outside the new Moncton.

Do you draw the line after Moncton Parish?

Moncton 69,074
Dieppe 23,310
Riverview 19,128
Moncton Parish 9,421
Hillsborough 1,395
Hillsborough P. 1,350
Dorchester 1,167
Elgin P 968
Dorchester P. 477
Fort Folly 48

From https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2011/as-sa/fogs-spg/Facts-csd-eng.cfm?LANG=Eng&GK=CSD&GC=1307019

Taeolas
Nov 25, 2016, 12:22 PM
I believe what usually happens, especially for facilities that are regularly used like hockey arenas for ice time; stats are maintained to tell where all the users are coming from (based on team registration and so forth).

If a significant number of the users are from a community that isn't paying, then usually 1 of 2 things happens:

1. The community is asked to pay a percentage of the facility directly; users continue to pay what local users pay.
2. If the community refuses to pay for a percentage of the facility, the users will pay a (noticeably higher) "nonresident users fee" to use it.

(See Fredericton example from 10 years ago (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/rink-fees-will-keep-kids-off-the-ice-hockey-official-says-1.588783))

For one off events like Concerts or special sporting events, the resident vs non-resident differences are considered irrelevant, so there rarely is a difference for those.

RiverviewGuyToo
Nov 25, 2016, 1:51 PM
Looks like a hornets nest has been stirred up...

When it comes to things like the downtown centre, infrastructure upgrades etc where there are funds made available by the provincial or federal government to the municipalities then the outlying residents are indirectly paying for the project as well via our payment of taxes to the government. Sure, it may not be a direct contribution from another communities coffers, but to say we aren't assisting in funding a project isn't 100% correct in my opinion.

Having said that, in my opinion, I think the Town of Riverview should have made some sort of contribution to the facility, it wouldn't need to be an equal share contributed but just for fun, say $5 million. I believe the town did/does contribute to the Capitol Theatre and I see the downtown centre being in a similar class.

Seems like a silly argument anyways to say "well, you didn't pay for this road infrastructure to get to Costco, so you can't use the road or visit Costco!". The truth is, if it were that way, Costco would end up with customers just from that municipality and would find it hard to make it a go and pull out of the market, which is then an erosion to the municipalities tax base... am I also supposed to stay away from the hospitals located in Moncton because they use Moncton infrastructure? Guess I better start lobbying for a new hospital on the south side of the river...

On the Costco train, IF, they end up moving to Harrisville Blvd (please no!) and improvements are made to the Dieppe Blvd / Harrisville Blvd overpass and highway 15 - you can bet on Brian Gallant's golden, perfect hair that there will be some sort of provincial money kicked in, which would/could contain money from people from outside the municipality...

Delusio Cogno
Nov 25, 2016, 2:23 PM
Guess I better start lobbying for a new hospital on the south side of the river...

If Riverview joined Moncton you would have representation in council to affect location decisions like these.

Interesting that the Winnipeg amalgamation of 1972 was considered a failure as "a government review in 1986 concluded that the unicity structure, with its many suburban councillors and large tax base, facilitated the building of suburban infrastructure, to the detriment of inner-city investment. This may have been inevitable, since the incorporation of so many large suburban areas into a unicity naturally increased the political clout of the suburbs at the expense of the old city.

from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgamation_of_Winnipeg

RiverviewGuyToo
Nov 25, 2016, 2:27 PM
If Riverview joined Moncton you would have representation in council to affect location decisions like these.

You mean like influencing the location of high schools with a city's namesake on it? ;):P

Too soon?

Good2go
Nov 25, 2016, 4:30 PM
I love how it's all "Riverview's taxes are too low!!" instead of "Moncton's taxes are too high!!!!".

:runaway:

mylesmalley
Nov 25, 2016, 6:07 PM
Well that's kind of our point. If people benefit from another municipality's infrastructure without contributing to the tax base, that community's taxes will be disproportionately higher because of it.

OliverD
Nov 25, 2016, 6:42 PM

Interesting that the Winnipeg amalgamation of 1972 was considered a failure as "a government review in 1986 concluded that the unicity structure, with its many suburban councillors and large tax base, facilitated the building of suburban infrastructure, to the detriment of inner-city investment. This may have been inevitable, since the incorporation of so many large suburban areas into a unicity naturally increased the political clout of the suburbs at the expense of the old city.

from Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgamation_of_Winnipeg

Interesting, thanks for sharing that link. I used to live in Winnipeg but had no idea that the neighbourhoods I lived in used to be towns.

Obviously it was a failure in Winnipeg's case, but I wonder if it's possible to have a two-tiered system that could be successful which could at the very least equalize property tax rates while at the same time allowing each municipality to have its own identity and priorities. There are certainly many services which could be shared with minimal side effects and likely significant cost savings.

JHikka
Nov 25, 2016, 9:13 PM
Say an NHL hockey team is put in Montreal. How is it fair that Moncton residents get to go to the Bell Centre to watch the Canadiens play without paying Montreal tax.

The key difference here is that the Bell Centre was funded entirely by private money (Molson family). Moncton's Events Centre was funded primarily by Moncton taxpayers.

If we're using the argument that provincial funding is equivalent to Riverview and Dieppe funding their share of the arena then the argument could also be made that taxpayers in places like Saint John, Beresford, or Woodstock supported the arena funding just as much as Riverview and Dieppe.

I believe what usually happens, especially for facilities that are regularly used like hockey arenas for ice time; stats are maintained to tell where all the users are coming from (based on team registration and so forth).

If a significant number of the users are from a community that isn't paying, then usually 1 of 2 things happens:

1. The community is asked to pay a percentage of the facility directly; users continue to pay what local users pay.
2. If the community refuses to pay for a percentage of the facility, the users will pay a (noticeably higher) "nonresident users fee" to use it.

In Saint John, outlying communities like Rothesay and Quispamsis pay a nominal annual fee to fund and support buildings like Harbour Station, Imperial Theatre, etc. This is coming under threat as communities like Quispamsis are having a more difficult time with rising costs with no motivation to raise their property tax rates. They're already slashing funding to the region's economic development agency.

In other areas, like Fredericton, Sussex, and Grand Bay-Westfield, sticky situations have arisen where rural residents on the outskirts of those areas were not paying property taxes for those facilities yet were still using them, so the affected communities implemented user fees based on address for those coming from outside not contributing via property taxes.

Obviously it was a failure in Winnipeg's case, but I wonder if it's possible to have a two-tiered system that could be successful which could at the very least equalize property tax rates while at the same time allowing each municipality to have its own identity and priorities. There are certainly many services which could be shared with minimal side effects and likely significant cost savings.

Potentially a failure in Winnipeg but I wouldn't say the same for Ottawa or Toronto, two cities which were forced to amalgamate by their provincial government. From living in Ottawa I can say that this amalgamation was a success as the city thus had the revenue stream and the taxbase to devote money to things like the new subway and central infrastructure whilst also providing BRT service to suburbs. It's not perfect but it's better than what was there previously. Ottawa is capable of building itself as a regional centre and a major Canadian city rather than fighting with its outlying communities over tax bases and duplications. Vancouver is a good counterexample as it has not amalgamated with any of its outlying communities. Vancouver is currently proposing a 3.4% increase in their taxes as a result (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/city-of-vancouver-property-taxes-1.3865023). Toronto is so massive that the current mayor is proposing highway tolls to capture revenues from residents that live outside of its borders.

The key difference in a lot of these things, like comparing Ottawa and Winnipeg to New Brunswick, is those amalgamated cities have populations equal or eclipsing that of New Brunswick's entire population as a whole. IMHO, New Brunswick has far too many municipalities and too much representation for every village and town of 1,000 or 2,000 people. The sooner places can begin pooling their revenues and creating cohesive visions for their areas the quicker NB can turn its proverbial ship around. We'll have to wait and see how much of a contrast an area like the newly amalgamated Tracadie-Sheila or Haut-Madawaska will provide in the coming years.

I'd personally like to see more encouragement from the provincial government on this file but I know it won't be forthcoming. They don't gain much political capital out of telling municipalities how to order themselves around.