PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 [118] 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Mar 16, 2017, 7:28 PM
Is there any thought on increased immigration to Saint John? I know they could use it just as much, if not more, than Moncton. Boosting immigration to both cities paints a bright picture for the demographic and economic future of the province.

PS: I'm glad the Atlantic Forum can seem to discuss immigration without inevitably turning to racist, protectionist, isolationist rhetoric, unlike the Canada page.

Agree with your sentiments.

The provincial chief economist only mentioned Moncton in his analysis. I found that odd too...........

Taeolas
Mar 16, 2017, 8:03 PM
Yeah, if they're aiming for Moncton to get 3k, then they should set similarly appropriate targets for Freddy and SJ. (2.5k for SJ, 1.5-2k for Freddy maybe? Just off the top of my head). That's 7k new folk in the province a year, maybe target 10-12k total to spread beyond the Tri-cities. That would be a good boost for the province in general; but would probably be way too optimistic.

Scarface
Mar 16, 2017, 8:29 PM
Is there any thought on increased immigration to Saint John? I know they could use it just as much, if not more, than Moncton. Boosting immigration to both cities paints a bright picture for the demographic and economic future of the province.

PS: I'm glad the Atlantic Forum can seem to discuss immigration without inevitably turning to racist, protectionist, isolationist rhetoric, unlike the Canada page.

Agree with your sentiments.

The provincial chief economist only mentioned Moncton in his analysis. I found that odd too...........

Not the first time I hear anything about growth for Moncton, and there completely silent when it comes to Saint John, and I agree with you Franco401 I've seen the page, and think some comments might have been removed if possible but I see the same all over social media but on a larger scale. Most of the comments seem to come from a place of fear, or miss understanding/miss information potentially because of the issues that have happen with the Temporary Foreign labour program as well.

mylesmalley
Mar 16, 2017, 9:35 PM
We don't delete comments unless they violate a rule of the forum or we're asked to, like if someone double posts. It's probably been a year since I've done it. If everyone stays civil and reasonably on topic, it isn't anyone's place to censor.

Where people run into trouble are when they cross the line into being hateful, attacking other people etc.

JHikka
Mar 19, 2017, 3:30 PM

My understanding is that Fredericton, Saint John, and Moncton received equal shares of Syrian refugees when they were entering Canada (~900 each, don't quote me on it though).

Although Saint John probably does need the immigration more than Fredericton and Moncton the local market needs to be able to bare the brunt of newcomers as well. There's simply more growth in the other two cities and more working and living potential.

At the end of the day i'm only assuming the Chief Economist was analyzing Moncton as its the largest urban centre. I suppose you can look at growing NB in two ways:
1) Grow the Big 3 cities equally, incrementally, over time.
2) Put all your eggs in the Moncton basket and push its growth higher and higher.

We've gone over this idea on this forum ad nauseam on whether or not it's better to have one large urban centre or three medium-sized centres. There's arguments to be made both ways. It's becoming more and more clear with each passing year that the only way to resolve NB's significant demographic issues is with an influx of immigration similar in level to what other, larger Canadian provinces are permitted.

KnoxfordGuy
Mar 20, 2017, 2:16 AM
Man, if Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview merged into one city it would be a city of 117,000 people with a CMA of 145,000 people. I wish they would merge lol

josh_cat_eyes
Mar 20, 2017, 3:08 AM
Man, if Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview merged into one city it would be a city of 117,000 people with a CMA of 145,000 people. I wish they would merge lol

Moncton needs to expand its boundaries anyways. It should go out all the way to the TCH in Berrys Mills if you ask me. I can see Riverview merging before Dieppe too.

Scarface
Mar 20, 2017, 4:20 PM
Moncton needs to expand its boundaries anyways. It should go out all the way to the TCH in Berrys Mills if you ask me. I can see Riverview merging before Dieppe too.

You not the first I see bring up the expansion of Moncton, and in Fact I think it was supposed to, or at least Rumors where floating around back during one of the first large Moncton construction booms that Moncton was going to border all the way From West-East Salisbury- Route 11, and from South-North Peticodiac River-New Scotland Rd. Other rolling rumors that stated it would only reach the Shediac River area.

All rumors curently but I do agree that Moncton Should expand. How far out would still be left to be determined.

Freddypop
Mar 20, 2017, 6:08 PM
You not the first I see bring up the expansion of Moncton, and in Fact I think it was supposed to, or at least Rumors where floating around back during one of the first large Moncton construction booms that Moncton was going to border all the way From West-East Salisbury- Route 11, and from South-North Peticodiac River-New Scotland Rd. Other rolling rumors that stated it would only reach the Shediac River area.

All rumors curently but I do agree that Moncton Should expand. How far out would still be left to be determined.

Here is the 2008 Finn Report that recommended many of the the changes mentioned above. Unfortunately the PNB does not have the courage to implement.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Departments/lg-gl/pdf/BuildingStrongerLocalGovernmentsAndRegions.pdf

MonctonRad
Mar 26, 2017, 2:18 PM
New Brunswick FC? Group Eyes Pro Soccer Team for Moncton
Tom Bateman
Times & Transcript
March 26th 2017
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/100135213/soccer-new-brunswick-moncton-bouida-halifax-canadian-premier-league-

https://s3.amazonaws.com/telegraph_journal/story-pictures/100135213/leadlandscape/20170327monctonsoccertt01.jpg

This article is about a push by Soccer NB to have a franchise in the nascent Canadian Premier League, along such cities as Victoria, Ottawa, Quebec City and possibly Halifax.

If the league gets underway, they would likely start playing in about three years. The annual cost of running such a team would be $3-5M/yr, and they would need about 7,000 fans per game to make it profitable. They would play at the 10,000 seat Moncton stadium at U de M.

BTW, right now the T&T is offering a one month complementary access to their website, so if you want to read the article, follow the link above. :)

L'homard
Mar 26, 2017, 8:09 PM
You also have access to the CT&T's massive electronic archives during the free preview, a treasure chest of data.

pierremoncton
Mar 27, 2017, 4:23 PM
I always recollected seeing early plans for city hall that showed two glass buildings, so I dug through the archives and found the following:

Reversed

http://i.imgur.com/OzZYapc.jpg

T&T, Apr 26, 1994 - https://www.telegraphjournal.com/times-transcript/story/viewer?filename=0470_TT_A8650&opub=Times_Transcript&date=19940426&page=29&pubDisplayName=Times+Transcript

Two glass towers

http://imgur.com/zCpIpsP.jpg

T&T, Nov 24, 1994 - https://www.telegraphjournal.com/times-transcript/story/viewer?filename=0336_TT_A8664&opub=Times_Transcript&date=19941124&page=1&pubDisplayName=Times+Transcript

I originally recalled that both glass buildings would be identical but I didn't find a rendering of that. Not sure on this, but I think there was a problem with acquiring land (current Pastalli building?) so the development moved slightly to the west, which led to plans deviating to what we see in the second picture, then to what we actually have on site.

Aerial view shows there's still room for that second glass building. It's been so long that the trees have grown almost as high. :)

MonctonRad
Mar 27, 2017, 4:57 PM
:previous:

I actually prefer that little bit of green space over having the second glass tower on site. The open space improves sightlines to city hall, and gives a nice panoramic perspective to the southwest from city hall itself towards the Delta Hotel and Assumption Place. I'm glad they never built it. :)

mylesmalley
Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 PM
I prefer the green space on the corner as well. I'd really like to see the rest of the block developed though. There is room for five more buildings with the same footprint as city hall if the wrap-around parking lot was replaced. Perhaps if that end of downtown sees more growth like FiveFive Queen, the city might put a parking structure there at least.

NBNYer
Mar 27, 2017, 8:12 PM
I prefer the green space on the corner as well. I'd really like to see the rest of the block developed though. There is room for five more buildings with the same footprint as city hall if the wrap-around parking lot was replaced. Perhaps if that end of downtown sees more growth like FiveFive Queen, the city might put a parking structure there at least.

Yes, I've always thought a parking structure would make sense at the northern end of that lot (corner of Queen and Orange) and then use the current west side parking lot to extend the green space north up to the "La mine d'or" building (or up to Queen). We'd then have a something that looks closer to a true urban park rather than just a small strip of green space.

Scarface
Mar 29, 2017, 1:57 AM
Yes, I've always thought a parking structure would make sense at the northern end of that lot (corner of Queen and Orange) and then use the current west side parking lot to extend the green space north up to the "La mine d'or" building (or up to Queen). We'd then have a something that looks closer to a true urban park rather than just a small strip of green space.

I could actually see an L shaped parking structure with it's entrance/exit at/near the parking lots current entrance on orange Ln. they could in fact take out the Botsford Street entrance/exit right next to La Mine D'or, and expand the green space to that point. I would actually look good but don't see it happening in the very near future.

habs33
Apr 6, 2017, 6:24 PM
New $3.5M pool planned for Moncton park
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/100150892/?nopromo=1
Construction will start this summer on a $3.5-million outdoor pool at Moncton's Centennial Park, replacing the 30-year-old aging swimming facility in the bowl of park

Scarface
Apr 11, 2017, 8:02 PM
2 Neighborhood parks are to see revitalization this year Westbrook Circle Park, and Candlewood Park. But now my question is how does the city decide what neighborhood parks they need to put money into. Westbrook Circle Park has already have had all there equipment replaced thanks to the Berry Mills Heights Youth Group I think they where called. When the city refused to fix anything the kids, youths, and parents raised the money themselves a little over 7 years ago. Maybe a little more. There are parks that are in more need of a face lift then Westbrook Circles. Candlewood park does need the money put into it. All Westbrook Circle needs is the community centre knocked down. Auburn Circle still needs work if they still haven't touched it.

habs33
Apr 13, 2017, 6:56 PM
Moncton CIRA announcement
This announcement will outline a new Internet Exchange in Atlantic Canada, which will further enhance Moncton's digital ecosystem.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/moncton-cira-announcement-annonce-de-lautorite-canadienne-pour-les-enregistrements-internet-a-registration-33425614914

MonctonRad
Apr 15, 2017, 4:12 PM

Here's a comment from Dawn Arnold's Facebook page regarding the upcoming Canadian Internet Registry Association announcement for Moncton.

Sounds like the Fibre Centre is beginning to pay off.

Think of building an economic future for Greater Moncton as building an enduring building. First comes the critical foundation, which in this case is the launch and considerable infrastructure investment of US and Canadian investors in the Moncton Fibre Centre last January. Money from away, as they say.

Hunter Newby, and his international investors started a virgin company with no customers and faced massive financial and reputation risk. They bet their future on Moncton strategic dark fibre advantage on being the intersection for north south and east west data and Internet traffic. Think of it like a giant train station as a Hub of web-based traffic. This is the new New Moncton.

Slowly, Uri, the local executive in charge, has attracted leading international brands who co-locate their servers and connectivity resellers to Moncton Fibre Centre. (Facebook Corp is a presence here now because of the Fibre Centre.) No small feat.

The Centre's presence bring a competitive lower cost price structure to all local businesses' most critical component of business growth: data storage and high speed connectivity to the world from Moncton.

What this smaller announcement, which is again national recognition of Moncton for web infrastructure means, is that we have placed another stone, maybe even a corner stone of economic infrastructure and growth into our future economy, but put in place today.

#Moving_Moncton_Forward means taking small steps so we stride into the next century, now. CIRA, by locating and expanding into Moncton, is but one brick in our building wall to carry us forward, but it is an important one. A milestone perhaps. Learn more from this release.

Fibre connectivity eliminates oceans and creates a global community next door. We do not compete with Halifax any longer for the future, we compete with London, Singapore, Paris and Dubai for global business locations.

This is because data, big data concentrations, are the new Oil. A currency unto itself

I had no idea that Facebook had a digital presence in Moncton already because of the Fibre Centre - that's big news!!!!

Moncton always was and always will be a Hub City. :D

ScoutDog
Apr 15, 2017, 6:23 PM
When this company is mature and running on all cylinders, is it a $50M, 250M, $500M or $1B company? What is its potential? How many jobs will it create? What is it economic impact on the city/province?

Here's a comment from Dawn Arnold's Facebook page regarding the upcoming Canadian Internet Registry Association announcement for Moncton.

Sounds like the Fibre Centre is beginning to pay off.

I had no idea that Facebook had a digital presence in Moncton already because of the Fibre Centre - that's big news!!!!

Moncton always was and always will be a Hub City. :D

MonctonRad
Apr 15, 2017, 7:56 PM

The Fibre Centre is more a facilitator and enabler of internet capability. It provides the groundwork for other internet based companies to build upon.

Moncton's location at the junction of major high speed data lines connecting Europe and North America gives a capacity and speed advantage. Having said this, the advantage would be more for data centres and server farms. The major computer innovation centres would still prefer to be in places like silicon valley, KW or Ottawa, so I'm not expecting a lot of employment.

Still. data centres still require IT workers and maintenance engineers, and these should be good paying positions. I would expect employment in the dozens or hundreds, but not the thousands, but this is still welcome. :yes:

What I would like to know is what's going on with BMM Test Labs. They made their big announcement of maybe 1,200 IT jobs in Moncton about two years ago and there is still nothing AFAIK. They still have their facility in Dieppe, but I have seen no evidence of any expansion.

Does anyone who actually knows anything have any insight into any of this????

MonctonRad
Apr 18, 2017, 1:35 PM
Interesting article which happens to currently be the lead story on CBC.ca

N.B. employers have jobs they can't fill — so they're looking south for job-seekers
Hundreds of people turned up at New York City job fair organized by Moncton-area employers
By Ioanna Roumeliotis and Jennifer Barr, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:00 AM AT
Last Updated: Apr 18, 2017 7:40 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-new-brunswick-jobs-americans-1.4061508

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4061660.1491599392!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_620/moncton-job-ad.jpg

A very positive article exploring options to deal with about 1,000 high tech job positions in Moncton currently going unfilled. There's lots of interest south of the border, with hundreds showing up at a job fair in NYC. This could be a new way to stimulate population growth in the region - with ex-pat Americans. :tup:

Ammn_guy
Apr 18, 2017, 1:58 PM
I work in IT and we are definitely having large issues recruiting Qualified people... its at a point where it hinders growth and prevents projects from happening unless they are sent overseas, which usually results in a very substandard product. People are starting to job hop here because the companies are getting more lucrative in their offers.

The biggest issue is recruiting qualified people... I can think of 10 decent paying positions that we have had open for a year or more that we simply gave up advertising locally for.

Whats interesting is the pay in IT work is fairly even all across canada.. so your dollar stretch's a bit further here, kind of. maybe.. on the negative side tax's here are not great, you are punished for making a middle class salary or owning a vacation home, amenities/childcare to tax dollar ratio are not great.

Feneant
Apr 18, 2017, 2:43 PM
Considering Moncton is the most affordable city in Canada (Source) (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjvpaHdna7TAhUHyoMKHad2BD4QFggkMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.demographia.com%2Fdhi.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGKLEx5LROKBQi6YyhkKRvyaivYeg&cad=rja), I have no idea why instead of trying to bring in Americans we're not going to Toronto, Vancouver, etc. and trying to recruit there.

What better motivation than being able to sell your 1-2 million dollar condo and buying a detached house in Moncton using cash and having some money left over!

MonctonRad
Apr 18, 2017, 3:27 PM
What I would like to know is what's going on with BMM Test Labs. They made their big announcement of maybe 1,200 IT jobs in Moncton about two years ago and there is still nothing AFAIK. They still have their facility in Dieppe, but I have seen no evidence of any expansion.

Does anyone who actually knows anything have any insight into any of this????

I suppose the CBC story might explain why BMM Test Labs has not yet expanded in Moncton.........

NBNYer
Apr 18, 2017, 5:53 PM
I suppose the CBC story might explain why BMM Test Labs has not yet expanded in Moncton.........

There was a story on Radio-Canada a few months ago talking about just this. They reached out to BMM and they released a short statement saying that they were indeed behind schedule because of issues with recruitment but that their ultimate goal still had not changed.

OliverD
Apr 18, 2017, 5:59 PM
What better motivation than being able to sell your 1-2 million dollar condo and buying a detached house in Moncton using cash and having some money left over!

I doubt the person with a $1-2M condo wants a detached house in Moncton. Better to go after the GTA suburbanites with insane commutes, especially those who came from the Maritimes to begin with.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people moving to NB from ON or other provinces recently. Hopefully the trend continues.

MonctonRad
Apr 18, 2017, 6:08 PM

There are a lot of middle managers who live in my neighbourhood. I can vouch that many Ontarians who come here to serve their penance before climbing further up the ladder arrive in the city with minimal expectations, but after 2-3 years here do not want to leave, and are generally quite sad when they ultimately receive the promotion they had been hoping for.

They might return to Toronto with a fancy new title and with a big raise, but their standard of living goes down.........

L'homard
Apr 19, 2017, 12:30 AM
We get lots of Ontarians and westerners, mostly young, at my work, trying to make their mark while hoping to find something in the big cities. With very few exceptions, they too all are very sad when they leave. This place is easy to fall in love with. Sometimes I wonder, despite its faults, if we don't truly appreciate what we have to offer.

Scarface
Apr 19, 2017, 4:08 AM
Considering Moncton is the most affordable city in Canada (Source) (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjvpaHdna7TAhUHyoMKHad2BD4QFggkMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.demographia.com%2Fdhi.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGKLEx5LROKBQi6YyhkKRvyaivYeg&cad=rja), I have no idea why instead of trying to bring in Americans we're not going to Toronto, Vancouver, etc. and trying to recruit there.

Funny you should say that a lot of Torontonians are moving out of Toronto, and to cities like Hamilton where the price of there condo covers the cost of a house, and potentially 2 cars.

I doubt the person with a $1-2M condo wants a detached house in Moncton. Better to go after the GTA suburbanites with insane commutes, especially those who came from the Maritimes to begin with.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people moving to NB from ON or other provinces recently. Hopefully the trend continues.

Well if the Ontarian Suburbanites are anything like any member of my family, or anyone I've been friends with who moved for better employment prospects they will not return to small city Moncton. Even if they would find a good job here.

habs33
Apr 19, 2017, 12:47 PM
Demolition Of Fire Damaged Office Building At Moncton Sportsdome
http://919thebend.ca/news/646110457/demolition-fire-damaged-office-building-moncton-sportsdome

OliverD
Apr 19, 2017, 12:58 PM
Funny you should say that a lot of Torontonians are moving out of Toronto, and to cities like Hamilton where the price of there condo covers the cost of a house, and potentially 2 cars.

That isn't exactly sustainable either, especially if you're commuting into the GTA. Saw the other day that house prices in Hamilton are up over 20% YoY. And in Guelph houses routinely sell for $100k+ over asking due to demand from GTA commuters.

Well if the Ontarian Suburbanites are anything like any member of my family, or anyone I've been friends with who moved for better employment prospects they will not return to small city Moncton. Even if they would find a good job here.

I can't speak for Moncton but many people I know from Fredericton who now work in Ontario and Alberta would love to return to the Maritimes. Some close friends of mine lived in Montreal for a few years before returning to Fredericton. There are some exceptions though.

MonctonRad
Apr 19, 2017, 1:13 PM
Demolition Of Fire Damaged Office Building At Moncton Sportsdome
http://919thebend.ca/news/646110457/demolition-fire-damaged-office-building-moncton-sportsdome

No loss really, I always thought that building never really suited the sports dome.

MonctonRad
Apr 20, 2017, 2:45 PM
Interesting article which happens to currently be the lead story on CBC.ca

N.B. employers have jobs they can't fill — so they're looking south for job-seekers
Hundreds of people turned up at New York City job fair organized by Moncton-area employers
By Ioanna Roumeliotis and Jennifer Barr, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:00 AM AT
Last Updated: Apr 18, 2017 7:40 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-new-brunswick-jobs-americans-1.4061508

A very positive article exploring options to deal with about 1,000 high tech job positions in Moncton currently going unfilled. There's lots of interest south of the border, with hundreds showing up at a job fair in NYC. This could be a new way to stimulate population growth in the region - with ex-pat Americans. :tup:

CBC TV News special feature on the Moncton job fair story:

hK2VOea7Uz4
Scrappy little city indeed!! :tup:

Monctoncore
Apr 20, 2017, 3:43 PM
^^^ That is very cool, lets hope it works out in the cities favour! To bring in that many highly skilled workers would be wonderful for the city, province and country as a whole!

ScoutDog
Apr 21, 2017, 10:58 AM
"You will also be seeing some major upgrades ( including lighting ) to the subway underpass....The final details and budget are still being determined." - Counselor, Greg Turner, via a Facebook post by Mayor Dawn Arnold.

NBNYer
Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 AM
"You will also be seeing some major upgrades ( including lighting ) to the subway underpass....The final details and budget are still being determined." - Counselor, Greg Turner, via a Facebook post by Mayor Dawn Arnold.

I'd love to see decorative lighting there, especially considering its prominent location right in the middle of downtown. Something like this.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c1/4c/ed/c14cedf2ce5dbba3c4eea902275d14d0.jpg

Monctoncore
Apr 21, 2017, 12:12 PM

It's about time this gets done!

Taeolas
Apr 21, 2017, 12:42 PM
Will the upgrades include a more prominent "You must be this short to use the Subway?" signage? :) I think that is the only underpass that has caught more trucks than the Waterloo Road underpass in Fredericton.

MonctonRad
Apr 21, 2017, 1:47 PM
Will the upgrades include a more prominent "You must be this short to use the Subway?" signage? :)

I suggest an animated LED strip along both sides of the Subway, capable of displaying moving images showing the gruesome carnage of previous accidents involving the underpass, including images showing the roofs peeled off of cube vans, AC units removed from the tops of RVs, and tractor trailers tilted at odd angles after getting lodged underneath the overpass.

You could intersperse these graphic images with boldly displayed flashing skulls and crossbones.

Do you think this would work??? :D :haha: :D

On a more serious note, this example uploaded by NBNYer would be great!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c1/4c/ed/c14cedf2ce5dbba3c4eea902275d14d0.jpg

Taeolas
Apr 21, 2017, 3:05 PM
Imagine if they did upgrade it with customizable lighting.

When there's a game going on at the new Centre they could flash it in the Team colours to amp people up on the way to the game.

MonctonRad
Apr 21, 2017, 4:56 PM
Imagine if they did upgrade it with customizable lighting.

When there's a game going on at the new Centre they could flash it in the Team colours to amp people up on the way to the game.

That's not a bad idea!! :tup:

Sumater
Apr 21, 2017, 11:47 PM
That's not a bad idea!! :tup:
Wouldn't that be bad for epileptics?

MonctonRad
Apr 22, 2017, 3:40 AM
Wouldn't that be bad for epileptics?

Welcome to the forums. :)

I see that you're from Sackville. Perhaps you might be interested in providing some content from Bagtown - there is a Sackville thread in the Moncton section.

As to your point, epilepsy tends to be triggered by flashing lights at a relatively high frequency. I'm sure that any flashing could be tuned to a lower frequency and with longer latency and persistence to combat this. :)

MonctonRad
Apr 23, 2017, 4:46 AM
from the City of Moncton website:

City of Moncton continues to see strong building permits to kick off 2017
April 21, 2017

MONCTON – The total value of permits for the first quarter ending March 31st, 2017, came in at $60.8 million, up 31 per cent from $42 million during the same period last year and just $9.1 million in 2015. The total number of permits for the quarter was 162, up from 146 in 2016.

Both commercial and residential building permits had solid showings, with 3-month totals of $25.3 million and $27 million, respectively. The largest drivers of these results included Organigram, with an $18 million expansion; along with several other industrial buildings deriving about $3 million in permits for expansion and warehousing. The residential side saw the ‘Five-Five Queen’ condo project break ground in March, with $20.9 million in permits issued for the first quarter of 2017; and a 55-unit apartment building on Diamond Head Court valued at $3.8 million.

Institutional permits accounted for $7.8 million or 13 per cent of the quarter’s activity, with much of that coming from a Federal government building renovation at 1081 Main St. worth $6.3 million.

“The momentum in our city’s development continues to be lively,” said Mayor Dawn Arnold. “We are working hard to keep this going, which is garnering interest from outside the region and is excellent news for the prosperity of our community.”

The City’s Economic Development team continues to work closely with developers, both big and small.

“The interest in our Downtown in particular has certainly been stronger than we’ve seen in years past,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We are especially pleased with the results from the first quarter. The permit figures certainly demonstrate confidence in our local economy.”

NBB10
Apr 23, 2017, 4:03 PM
Do you think there will be plans for any taller buildings in the downtown area anytime soon 50m or higher? I was trying to find plans for some but had no sucsess.

MonctonRad
Apr 23, 2017, 4:45 PM
Do you think there will be plans for any taller buildings in the downtown area anytime soon 50m or higher? I was trying to find plans for some but had no sucsess.

The short answer to your question is "no"; there are no plans for future skyscrapers in Moncton.

The tallest buildings currently under construction or proposed are:
Horizon Place - in Dieppe, 10 stories
FiveFive Queen - downtown, 8 stories
Hilton branded hotel - Junction Urban Village, 6 stories
Tannery Place - Junction Urban Village, 6 stories
Events Centre - downtown, 6 stories (equivalent)
Holiday Inn & Suites - Mapleton Road, 6 stories.

A proposed Shannex retirement village on Mapleton Road may contain as many as eight 10 storey buildings, but this plan has not yet been approved and may change.

The Harper Building on East Main St may be as many as 8 stories tall, but although approved, many on the forum here have doubts that this project will proceed.

Perhaps the best chance for a new downtown high-rise is on "Parcel B", across from the events centre located on the old Bay parking lot. The city is currently receiving proposals for this piece of land and they are known to want to have a large commercial/residential project for this site. Something in the 12-15 storey range could be a possibility, but is by no means guaranteed.

There are a number of other projects under construction or proposed, but none of them are more than 5 stories tall.

FarmerTom
Apr 23, 2017, 4:47 PM
I wonder if the renovations on the federal government building will ever be done. Seems like they finish one contract and start another one.

NBB10
Apr 23, 2017, 6:38 PM
Thank you, I feel like once the events centre is complete there will be more building starting to pop up downtown but chances are they will not be skyscrapers.

MonctonRad
Apr 23, 2017, 6:47 PM
Thank you, I feel like once the events centre is complete there will be more building starting to pop up downtown but chances are they will not be skyscrapers.

A healthy downtown doesn't necessarily need skyscrapers - it needs increased density and improved streetscapes. A growing number of 4-6 storey tightly clustered buildings in the core may do more for the aesthetic of the city than a couple of randomly placed skyscrapers. :)

Having said this, It would be nice to have another couple 0f 12-18 story buildings in the city.

Scarface
Apr 24, 2017, 1:13 AM
A healthy downtown doesn't necessarily need skyscrapers - it needs increased density and improved streetscapes. A growing number of 4-6 storey tightly clustered buildings in the core may do more for the aesthetic of the city than a couple of randomly placed skyscrapers. :)

Having said this, It would be nice to have another couple 0f 12-18 story buildings in the city.

Agreed. I still feel like Assomption Place is out of place with it's 20 floors.

C_Boy
Apr 28, 2017, 12:52 PM
Does any one have the link for the satellite image that you can change the year scale to see the growth. I can't seem to find it in my bookmarks.

pierremoncton
Apr 28, 2017, 12:58 PM
:previous: https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/

Rookie
May 1, 2017, 9:42 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it cost to renovate Crystal Palace into the now Pro Bass Shop. I was having a discussion with a few colleagues, and numbers were all over the place.

Rookie
May 1, 2017, 9:45 PM
I wonder if the renovations on the federal government building will ever be done. Seems like they finish one contract and start another one.

How many years have they been working on that one now?

MonctonRad
May 2, 2017, 11:49 PM
DMCI video about youthful entrepreneurs establishing new businesses in the core of the city

xeuAG-PLTF8

tmacdougall
May 8, 2017, 3:23 PM
I believe this announcement has been shared before but I came across this article on Facebook.

https://www.railwaypro.com/wp/crrc-build-plant-canada/

canadianinasia
May 15, 2017, 1:35 AM
I work in IT and we are definitely having large issues recruiting Qualified people... its at a point where it hinders growth and prevents projects from happening unless they are sent overseas, which usually results in a very substandard product. People are starting to job hop here because the companies are getting more lucrative in their offers.

The biggest issue is recruiting qualified people... I can think of 10 decent paying positions that we have had open for a year or more that we simply gave up advertising locally for.

Whats interesting is the pay in IT work is fairly even all across canada.. so your dollar stretch's a bit further here, kind of. maybe.. on the negative side tax's here are not great, you are punished for making a middle class salary or owning a vacation home, amenities/childcare to tax dollar ratio are not great.

What kind of jobs are your company hiring for? What kind of qualifications are needed? 4 year degree? 2 year degree? Just experience with a knack for computers? Programming? Games writing? Network Administrator? Web Page design? Programmer - Analyst (business component)?

I ask because I'd like to know what type of jobs are available in Moncton and possibly Fredericton (as I've heard they've got an IT sector too)? Future career re training cold be a possibility.

canadianinasia
May 16, 2017, 1:05 AM
Great to keep up to date with what goes on back in the hometown. What you guys need is an outdoor walking area with shops and small businesses where it's cheap for them to build and easy to set up (IE Regulations, etc). Maybe an outdoors farmer's market combined with local shops and businesses. Governments shouldn't make it difficult. It doesn't have to be downtown. It can be on the outskirts. A walking street on weekends no cars allowed. A great example here from overseas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianinasia/17131040438/in/album-72157632683151989/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianinasia/17132597549/in/album-72157632683151989/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianinasia/16696368904/in/album-72157632683151989/

MonctonRad
May 16, 2017, 3:32 AM
Great to keep up to date with what goes on back in the hometown. What you guys need is an outdoor walking area with shops and small businesses where it's cheap for them to build and easy to set up (IE Regulations, etc). Maybe an outdoors farmer's market combined with local shops and businesses. Governments shouldn't make it difficult. It doesn't have to be downtown. It can be on the outskirts. A walking street on weekends no cars allowed. A great example here from overseas.

So, you're a native Monctonian currently living in Asia. What parts?

There are more than a few ex-pats who get info on the goings on back here in Moncton on this thread, so feel free to join the fun.

As for the farmer's market. there is a chance that it may at some point move from it's current downtown location to a place on Assumption Blvd, in close proximity to the Riverfront Park. If appropriately placed close to the Downing Street project, there might be the sort of synergy that you seem to be envisioning.

This move is by no means certain, but has been discussed, and I think might be a distinct possibility.

Blue Blazer
May 23, 2017, 2:43 PM
Was going to check out arbys on the weekend in Moncton and they are closed. Looks like they are getting a face lift

MonctonRad
May 23, 2017, 3:00 PM
Was going to check out arbys on the weekend in Moncton and they are closed. Looks like they are getting a face lift

Indeed - a facelift both inside and out (badly needed). I think the drive-thru is still open though........

Blue Blazer
May 23, 2017, 3:49 PM
Indeed - a facelift both inside and out (badly needed). I think the drive-thru is still open though........

That is good. I don't think it was open at the drive thru was blocked on Monday. oh well ill have to check it out next time I am in town. First time I haven't gone to arbys while in Moncton in like forever. its my go to place :P

felip_ars
May 24, 2017, 1:09 PM
TD will announce this morning that 575 jobs will be created in a new Call Centre in Moncton.

Announcement at 10AM with Premier Gallant at the Capitol.

ErickMontreal
May 24, 2017, 1:37 PM
TD will announce this morning that 575 jobs will be created in a new Call Centre in Moncton.

I work for the company and we have known that for a little while. Its been on the making for years. We suspect Moncton was chosen due to the available bilingual workforce.

MonctonRad
May 24, 2017, 1:39 PM
I work for the company and we have known that for a little while. Its been on the making for years. We suspect Moncton chosen due to the available bilingual workforce.

Going to move back to Moncton now Erick?? :)

Sunnybrae
May 24, 2017, 1:39 PM

Wonder if they will use the old Royal Bank call centre on St. George.

MonctonRad
May 24, 2017, 2:16 PM
Wonder if they will use the old Royal Bank call centre on St. George.

Well, now that RBC has moved into their new facility next door, this space is now vacant and would be about the right size.

Personally I would like to see it downtown in the Terminal Plaza complex. Tangerine Bank is already set up in 1234 Main. It would be nice if TD opened in 1222 Main. The building has been gutted and is ready to be refurbished....... :yes:

Feneant
May 24, 2017, 3:24 PM
Personally I would like to see it downtown in the Terminal Plaza complex. Tangerine Bank is already set up in 1234 Main. It would be nice if TD opened in 1222 Main. The building has been gutted and is ready to be refurbished....... :yes:

I had training in 1234 before the renovations (this was some years ago) and the building was absolutely terrible shape. There were wires everywhere, the carpet was worn enough to see through it and the training had to be given in a kitchen :koko: . And, while I am all about refurbishment, I have been working near there since 1998 and I don't think that both buildings have ever been fully rented so they should just tear it down and replace it with something that'll go with the event center.

PEI highway guy
May 24, 2017, 6:28 PM
they gutted and fully renovated 1234 Main ST, 2,3 or 4 of years ago. I assume the issues of hanging wires and worn carpet are gone as they basically re-built the building. They could do the same to 1222 Main ST.

MonctonRad
May 24, 2017, 6:41 PM
they gutted and fully renovated 1234 Main ST, 2,3 or 4 of years ago. I assume the issues of hanging wires and worn carpet are gone as they basically re-built the building. They could do the same to 1222 Main ST.

Indeed - 1234 Main is now considered Class "A" space. It was always Crombie REITs intention to do the same to 1222 Main.

L'homard
May 24, 2017, 7:06 PM
The other building looks pretty gutted right now actually, though I didn't take a good look - just passing by in the car.

MonctonRad
May 24, 2017, 7:15 PM
Here's the CBC article (complete with factual errors): :)

New TD centre to create up to 575 jobs in Moncton over 6 years
Company that reported $2.5-billion profit during first quarter to get up to $9M from provincial government
CBC News Posted: May 24, 2017 3:44 PM AT|
Last Updated: May 24, 2017 3:44 PM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/td-business-services-centre-moncton-jobs-1.4129427

They haven't apparently signed a lease yet, so it's still up in the air where the centre will go.

I love how CBC takes a jab at government job creation subsidies right in the title of the article. Nothing like being controversial right out of the block........ :rolleyes:

Ammn_guy
May 24, 2017, 9:58 PM
They gutted the building last fall it looks to be fully stripped back to the concrete inside.. with the exception of the core stairwell and elevators area.

I walk by there often during the day for lunch break.

The other building looks pretty gutted right now actually, though I didn't take a good look - just passing by in the car.

ErickMontreal
May 24, 2017, 10:51 PM
Going to move back to Moncton now Erick?? :)

I wish I could. Due to family reasons, I am tied here for a while. I, actually really miss Moncton though. ;)

Furthermore, I hope they secure a location Downtown, 1234 Main would be an ideal location.

I know quite a few people considering moving to Moncton to pursue their career aspirations at the new center.

MonctonRad
May 25, 2017, 3:18 AM

It's nice to see the Tangerine sign lighting the top of 1234 Main. It would be great to have a TD Canada Trust or TD Insurance sign on the top of 1222 Main. Having corporate logos on the top of office buildings helps to bring a little bit of sophistication and energy to the downtown core.

Also, having 575 or so new jobs in the west end of the downtown would mean a lot to the city. Just think - with the events centre right next door, how many of these potential employees might end up wanting to live in the neighbourhood? I'm sure it would be quite inviting for them what with the entertainment options nearby, and the restaurants nearby. There's even a grocery store, liquor store and pharmacy on the same block! It's important to get more people actually living in the core.

If I were a prospective TD employee, I would find this a far more exciting option than another bland call centre in a suburban industrial park. Live downtown, work downtown, play downtown - ditch the car!!!!

Dawn Arnold should aggressively push for the new TD Centre to go in the core. It would mean a lot to the downtown..........

josh_cat_eyes
May 25, 2017, 4:50 AM
Who knows, maybe TD takes it one step further and puts a bid in for the new events centre name!

MonctonRad
May 25, 2017, 11:23 AM
Interesting discussion on the new TD contact centre on CBC radio this morning.

Despite the current TD contact centre in Saint John, apparently we were not competing with SJ for this new centre. The real competition for the new centre was Halifax, and apparently it was a very near thing..........

So, this contact centre should really be considered as a big win for all of NB, not just Moncton.

More jobs, more people, more opportunities, increased tax revenue for the province.

Win, win, win......... :yes:

Scarface
May 25, 2017, 5:00 PM
It's nice to see the Tangerine sign lighting the top of 1234 Main. It would be great to have a TD Canada Trust or TD Insurance sign on the top of 1222 Main. Having corporate logos on the top of office buildings helps to bring a little bit of sophistication and energy to the downtown core.

Also, having 575 or so new jobs in the west end of the downtown would mean a lot to the city. Just think - with the events centre right next door, how many of these potential employees might end up wanting to live in the neighbourhood? I'm sure it would be quite inviting for them what with the entertainment options nearby, and the restaurants nearby. There's even a grocery store, liquor store and pharmacy on the same block! It's important to get more people actually living in the core.

If I were a prospective TD employee, I would find this a far more exciting option than another bland call centre in a suburban industrial park. Live downtown, work downtown, play downtown - ditch the car!!!!

Dawn Arnold should aggressively push for the new TD Centre to go in the core. It would mean a lot to the downtown..........

I'm looking at the forum and have not seen a comment But TD was looking for an area that would work for them now, and in a later expansion they don't want to have to move out, or have a split call centre like others have done in the passed so I do see them potentially taking a floor, or 2 in 1222 Main rather then the old RBC call centre. Although it would work for them now it's to small for future expansion plans the way I have been hearing it.

Also one of the 2 major reasons they picked Moncton is The Bilingual work force, and the second seems to be the lack of call backs in other call centres in the area versus any other call centre in Canada. The second reason is not certain but having worked in call centres 90% of my working like I can attest to the lack of Call backs received compared to other centres.

MonctonRad
May 25, 2017, 5:50 PM
I'm looking at the forum and have not seen a comment But TD was looking for an area that would work for them now, and in a later expansion they don't want to have to move out, or have a split call centre like others have done in the passed so I do see them potentially taking a floor, or 2 in 1222 Main rather then the old RBC call centre. Although it would work for them now it's to small for future expansion plans the way I have been hearing it.

I saw that they wanted a space with future expansion possibilities (meaning that the ultimate workforce will be more than 575 employees). I agree that this would work in 1222 Main St's favour.

Also one of the 2 major reasons they picked Moncton is The Bilingual work force

I'm sure this was a factor in their consideration (as Erick pointed out), but since our main competitor was Halifax, I don't think it was the main consideration. Not all employees in this centre will have to be bilingual.

and the second seems to be the lack of call backs in other call centres in the area versus any other call centre in Canada. The second reason is not certain but having worked in call centres 90% of my working like I can attest to the lack of Call backs received compared to other centres.

Indeed. From my understanding, Moncton has developed a reputation of being a "financial services centre of excellence". If this is true, this bodes well for the future.

Sunnybrae
May 25, 2017, 6:59 PM
Indeed. From my understanding, Moncton has developed a reputation of being a "financial services centre of excellence". If this is true, this bodes well for the future.

Didn't I also hear something about the fibre optic hub being a factor as well?

L'homard
May 25, 2017, 7:35 PM
What is a callback? An issue that was not resolved during a client's first call?

Scarface
May 26, 2017, 7:09 PM
What is a callback? An issue that was not resolved during a client's first call?

Call backs are usually because of an issue that has yet to be resolved yes. But the problem is Call centres in Moncton (at least the ones I've worked at) they say time, and quality while it seems other call centres say time is the only factor so they will often not resolved the issue fully if they do at all. Moncton call centres, and employees are seen as time, and quality efficiency experts in that aspect.

This is a big draw for potentially new call centres to set up shop in Moncton.

Monctoncore
May 26, 2017, 8:32 PM
Call backs are usually because of an issue that has yet to be resolved yes. But the problem is Call centres in Moncton (at least the ones I've worked at) they say time, and quality while it seems other call centres say time is the only factor so they will often not resolved the issue fully if they do at all. Moncton call centres, and employees are seen as time, and quality efficiency experts in that aspect.

This is a big draw for potentially new call centres to set up shop in Moncton.

Very efficient work force!

MonctonRad
Jun 1, 2017, 12:24 AM
from the GNB website:

Four infrastructure projects in Moncton
31 May 2017

MONCTON (GNB) – The provincial government will fund four infrastructure projects in Moncton this year under the Municipal Designated Highway Program. These will be funded jointly with the municipality.

“Your government is listening to the needs of municipalities and is getting things done,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bill Fraser. “It is important that municipalities like the City of Moncton have a strong partner at the provincial level, and that is what we are reaffirming with the announcement of these projects.”

One project involves paving 800 metres of Elmwood Drive, from Massey Street to civic number 320. The three remaining projects will involve micro-surfacing along city streets, including:

2.9 km of Main Street, from Lutz Street to Wheeler Boulevard
600 metres of Gorge Road, from civic number 304 to King’s Bridge Boulevard
2 km of Mountain Road, from Ryan Street to Gorge Road
Another 300 metres of micro-surfacing on the Mountain Road project at the Route 15 interchange will be funded solely by the provincial government. Micro-surfacing helps extend the lifespan of existing infrastructure.

Monctoncore
Jun 1, 2017, 1:11 AM
from the GNB website:

Four infrastructure projects in Moncton
31 May 2017

MONCTON (GNB) – The provincial government will fund four infrastructure projects in Moncton this year under the Municipal Designated Highway Program. These will be funded jointly with the municipality.

“Your government is listening to the needs of municipalities and is getting things done,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bill Fraser. “It is important that municipalities like the City of Moncton have a strong partner at the provincial level, and that is what we are reaffirming with the announcement of these projects.”

One project involves paving 800 metres of Elmwood Drive, from Massey Street to civic number 320. The three remaining projects will involve micro-surfacing along city streets, including:

2.9 km of Main Street, from Lutz Street to Wheeler Boulevard
600 metres of Gorge Road, from civic number 304 to King’s Bridge Boulevard
2 km of Mountain Road, from Ryan Street to Gorge Road
Another 300 metres of micro-surfacing on the Mountain Road project at the Route 15 interchange will be funded solely by the provincial government. Micro-surfacing helps extend the lifespan of existing infrastructure.

Awesome news! But holy that's a lot of traffic jams haha

Sandbagger
Jun 1, 2017, 4:04 PM
didn't they just do micro surfacing on main down to Wheeler like 2 years ago?

Scarface
Jun 1, 2017, 6:46 PM
didn't they just do micro surfacing on main down to Wheeler like 2 years ago?

2, or 3 years ago yes. they also did parts of Mountain Rd as well around the same timeline.

MonctonRad
Jun 3, 2017, 3:05 AM
Hospice Greater Moncton has plans to build a permanent facility.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18767838_10154472877926479_1608297981232738774_n.jpg?oh=c92616544a15d92658605392d219407a&oe=59B23A2F

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18893041_10154472877986479_8494563406106764032_n.jpg?oh=7c4507acb061e02c938bc765dc7aabb6&oe=59A9E71C
from Councilor Greg Turners Facebook page.

Looks like a fine plan. I don't know if they have secured a location yet, so I'm placing this in the general "Moncton" thread.

Palliative and end of life care is hugely important. Everyone deserves the right to die with dignity and the last few months of life can be a precious gift for the patient and his/her family. I wish them well in their efforts to build this facility.........

mmmatt
Jun 7, 2017, 2:12 AM
Working on finalizing a construction photo-tour

Here is a neat angle I found when out and about...can see a few on-going projects in one frame :cool:

https://s26.postimg.org/fombg9kux/IMG_5954b.jpg

NBB10
Jun 7, 2017, 3:04 AM
Anyone know what the green net around the top of the bell tower is for?

Good2go
Jun 7, 2017, 7:02 AM
Anyone know what the green net around the top of the bell tower is for?

They are cleaning, crack filling, and adding a protective coating. It is a continuation of the job that began a few years ago.

FarmerTom
Jun 7, 2017, 12:26 PM
I wish they would convert the lights on it to led and stat lighting it up again

saintjohnirish☘
Jun 7, 2017, 11:07 PM
Is that communications tower still used for its original purpose?

MonctonRad
Jun 10, 2017, 7:06 PM
from Councilor Greg Turner's Facebook page:

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951075_10154500657206479_3871531815712658355_n.jpg?oh=13266c4f42a984189bea7d1302b38f0d&oe=59DC6B5F
Today is VIA - CN Safety Days at the Moncton Station . Free Train Rides all day from the Station to the CN Yard . The equipment is three coaches and a Dome Car . Fun for the whole family .

I always enjoy seeing Moncton right up there with Ottawa and Vancouver....... :D

Scarface
Jun 11, 2017, 5:18 AM
Is that communications tower still used for its original purpose?

As far as I know yes it is.

from Councilor Greg Turner's Facebook page:

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951075_10154500657206479_3871531815712658355_n.jpg?oh=13266c4f42a984189bea7d1302b38f0d&oe=59DC6B5F
Today is VIA - CN Safety Days at the Moncton Station . Free Train Rides all day from the Station to the CN Yard . The equipment is three coaches and a Dome Car . Fun for the whole family .

I always enjoy seeing Moncton right up there with Ottawa and Vancouver....... :D

It's cool to see Moncton on there but since it's the CN, and they used to have a large Yard here that spans different areas I think that might be the only reason Moncton is written there along with Vancouver, and Ottawa.

PEI highway guy
Jun 11, 2017, 10:14 AM
I believe these 3 cities are also chosen for one of Canada 150 concerts. That may be why their names are on the engines. Just speculation on my part, I have no knowledge to say for sure.

MonctonRad
Jun 12, 2017, 11:28 AM
There's another Downtown Community Improvement Plan symposium at the Capitol Theatre tomorrow morning at 8AM, in case anyone is able to go (tea and croissants provided).

One of the components that they seem to be floating right now is to relocate the farmers market to the Downing Street area, to generate more street traffic in the area and build synergy with the Moncton Library.

I'm not so sure about this. The first vision of Downing Street included midrise condos and streetfront commercial/retail. Moving the market there would seem to be a step backwards if you ask me. They also are bringing this forward under the assumption that the library isn't going to move. Hmmmmm..........

Nashe
Jun 12, 2017, 12:49 PM
There's another Downtown Community Improvement Plan symposium at the Capitol Theatre tomorrow morning at 8AM, in case anyone is able to go (tea and croissants provided).

One of the components that they seem to be floating right now is to relocate the farmers market to the Downing Street area, to generate more street traffic in the area and build synergy with the Moncton Library.

I'm not so sure about this. The first vision of Downing Street included midrise condos and streetfront commercial/retail. Moving the market there would seem to be a step backwards if you ask me. They also are bringing this forward under the assumption that the library isn't going to move. Hmmmmm..........

Related to this, but not directly... I personally think the existing farmer's market is too small and needs to be expanded.