PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Sunnybrae
Sep 14, 2010, 9:43 PM
Congratulations mmmatt, many happy returns, hope you enjoy the Dominican (and your new life together)! :)

And re: the arena/events centre issue............federal money is almost certainly necessary for this. It's no different from federal funding for a convention centre or performing arts centre. This is a vital piece of civic infrastructure.

If the feds don't cough up, this won't happen and if it doesn't happen, downtown redevelopment and revitalization is a lost cause. We should be mindful of this and continue to promote the involvement of all three levels of government in this worthy cause!

If you want to get all three levels of government with this, put an anglophone university with the new arena... downtown.... a campus of UNB maybe? Think of the spin off with that. A thousand students or more down town plus faculty and staff? Keep the Agrena/Coliseum infastructure as a convention center and upgrade it. Build some hotels on the Berry Mills road so that visiting businessman and technicians can have somewhere to stay while visiting the existing and expanding Moncton Industrial Park. Those hotels would also be used in conjunction with the Agrena/Convention complex.

Yah I know, wishful thinking.................

I just keep thinking how many universities and colleges Halifax has...... WOW!

Steelcowboy
Sep 14, 2010, 10:11 PM
I hope to see more flights in and out of here...possibly some trans-atlantic stop overs, Winnipeg - Moncton - overseas and vice versa etc etc. There are many Air Cargo companies. I heard a rumour that one of the runways are suppose to get an extension to allow for larger cargo planes.

curious
Sep 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Your right an University needs to open up downtown, it will bring more population to the downtown core. An art school would be beneficial, these students are usually more than willing to support downtown. This is from my experience in Halifax.

We need to support our downtown stores. Shopping in downtown is pathetic. Banana Republic should come downtown there moto is to help build downtown cores.

If you want to get all three levels of government with this, put an anglophone university with the new arena... downtown.... a campus of UNB maybe? Think of the spin off with that. A thousand students or more down town plus faculty and staff? Keep the Agrena/Coliseum infastructure as a convention center and upgrade it. Build some hotels on the Berry Mills road so that visiting businessman and technicians can have somewhere to stay while visiting the existing and expanding Moncton Industrial Park. Those hotels would also be used in conjunction with the Agrena/Convention complex.

Yah I know, wishful thinking.................

I just keep thinking how many universities and colleges Halifax has...... WOW!

curious
Sep 14, 2010, 10:36 PM
what is happening to the Mapleton power centre. It doesn't appear to be making any progress?

mylesmalley
Sep 14, 2010, 11:22 PM
It's basically a white elephant. There hasn't been any movement at all in ages, it seems.

MonctonRad
Sep 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
Your right an University needs to open up downtown, it will bring more population to the downtown core. An art school would be beneficial, these students are usually more than willing to support downtown. This is from my experience in Halifax.

While I agree that it is most unfortunate that there is not a full fledged campus of UNB in Moncton (there really should be to act as a counterbalance to U de M), I don't think it will ever happen.

When you look at the big picture, there are quite a few post secondary options in greater Moncton anyway.......This makes it difficult to justify another university.

- Universite de Moncton (francophone, 5000 students) - Fully comprehensive with graduate programs, a School of Law and a medical program (offered in conjunction with Universite de Sherbrooke).
- Crandall University (anglophone, 800 students) - faculties of arts, science, education and business. Crandall however is shackled by it's affiliation with the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches and thus is a fundamentalist institution. It isn't affiliated with the Atlantic Provinces Higher Education Commission and it's accreditation is not universally recognized. Crandall however is growing and within a few years will have five buildings on campus and a student body of 1200. Perhaps in the future it's reputation will improve.
- UNB Moncton (anglophone, 400 students) - yes Virginia, there is a UNB Moncton. It is a small health sciences campus located at The Moncton Hospital and you are able to get degrees in nursing and medical x-ray technology. Also at TMH is the Northumberland Family Practice Unit of Dalhousie University. There are 12 residents in family practice at the hospital and usually about 20 medical students/residents at any one time. With the new Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick program operated out of UNBSJ, this number should swell to about 40 medical students at the Moncton UNB Campus.
- Mount Allison University (anglophone, 2500 students) - I know, I know, this university is located in Sackville but if you think of it, the university is only 20 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from downtown. That's not much different than if you were living in North York and attending the downtown U of T campus. Mount Allison of couse is a highly regarded liberal undergraduate university which consistently ranks #1 in the MacLean's rankings. You can do some first year courses at home in Moncton and the university is affiliated with Moncton Flight College.

Add in NBCC Moncton and CCNB Dieppe with another couple of thousand students, and the city doesn't do too bad. Still, there is plenty of room for improvement on the anglophone side.

I would love to see an enhanced UNB presence in Moncton but the proximity of Mt A and the presence of Crandall makes that difficult. The real fly in the ointment is Crandall. Crandall's commitment to inclusiveness is questionable and it's fundamentalism is at least mildly objectionable. It is a very tough sell for many potential (non Baptist) anglophone Monctonian students.

Still, they have done a job of selling themselves to the provincial government as the anglophone university for stay at home Monctonians and they have garnered millions in government support. I think the government has fallen for this because it allows them to be seen to be addressing the anglophone educational needs in Moncton on the cheap.

The net result is that the francophone community has a well developed and coherent educational infrastructure in the city while the anglophone system seems rather disjointed and lacking focus. This has to be addressed.

The most ideal solution would be for Crandall to become a fully secular institution and a full partner in the MPHEC. With proper funding and proper accreditation, it could become a well respect small university (like Mt. A or St. Thomas) or perhaps it could become the Moncton campus of UNB. This would solve most of our problems.

As long as Crandall remains a small, narrow minded fundamentalist institution however, the greater Moncton anglophone community will continue to suffer.

my two cents...........

Lrdevlop
Sep 15, 2010, 12:17 AM
I remember the days when Air Canada mainline use to serve Moncton.

About that, do you think AC mainline could ever come back in Moncton?

Sunnybrae
Sep 15, 2010, 1:41 AM
While I agree that it is most unfortunate that there is not a full fledged campus of UNB in Moncton (there really should be to act as a counterbalance to U de M), I don't think it will ever happen.

When you look at the big picture, there are quite a few post secondary options in greater Moncton anyway.......This makes it difficult to justify another university.

- Universite de Moncton (francophone, 5000 students) - Fully comprehensive with graduate programs, a School of Law and a medical program (offered in conjunction with Universite de Sherbrooke).
- Crandall University (anglophone, 800 students) - faculties of arts, science, education and business. Crandall however is shackled by it's affiliation with the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches and thus is a fundamentalist institution. It isn't affiliated with the Atlantic Provinces Higher Education Commission and it's accreditation is not universally recognized. Crandall however is growing and within a few years will have five buildings on campus and a student body of 1200. Perhaps in the future it's reputation will improve.
- UNB Moncton (anglophone, 400 students) - yes Virginia, there is a UNB Moncton. It is a small health sciences campus located at The Moncton Hospital and you are able to get degrees in nursing and medical x-ray technology. Also at TMH is the Northumberland Family Practice Unit of Dalhousie University. There are 12 residents in family practice at the hospital and usually about 20 medical students/residents at any one time. With the new Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick program operated out of UNBSJ, this number should swell to about 40 students at the Moncton UNB Campus.
- Mount Allison University (anglophone, 2500 students) - I know, I know, this university is located in Sackville but if you think of it, the university is only 20 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from downtown. That's not much different than if you were living in North York and attending the downtown U of T campus. Mount Allison of couse is a highly regarded liberal undergraduate university which consistently ranks #1 in the MacLean's rankings. You can do many first year courses at home in Moncton and the university is affiliated with Moncton Flight College.

Add in NBCC Moncton and CCNB Dieppe with another couple of thousand students, and the city doesn't do too bad. Still, there is plenty of room for improvement on the anglophone side.

I would love to see an enhanced UNB presence in Moncton but the proximity of Mt A and the presence of Crandall makes that difficult. The real fly in the ointment is Crandall. Crandall's commitment to inclusiveness is questionable and it's fundamentalism is at least mildly objectionable. It is a very tough sell for many potential (non Baptist) anglophone Monctonian students.

Still, they have done a job of selling themselves as the anglophone university for stay at home Monctonians to the provincial government and they have garnered millions in government support. I think the government has fallen for this because it allows them to be seen to be addressing the anglophone educational needs in Moncton on the cheap.

The net result is that the francophone community has a well developed and coherent educational infrastructure in the city while the anglophone system seems rather disjointed and lacking focus. This has to be addressed.

The most ideal solution would be for Crandall to become a fully secular institution and a full partner in the MPHEC. With proper funding and proper accreditation, it could become a well respect small university (like Mt. A or St. Thomas) or perhaps it could become the Moncton campus of UNB. This would solve most of our problems.

As long as Crandall remains a small, narrow minded fundamentalist institution however, the greater Moncton anglophone community will continue to suffer.

my two cents...........

I totally get where your comming from MonctonRad. To simplify things, two specialty schools and a community college do not make a university for anglaphones in Moncton. It only takes the will of the polititians to create what is needed......... yah! As for Mt A...... its not in Moncton. It took me 35min to get there from the Brae but hay, if you can get to the airport from downtown in 5 minutes, you can be my cab driver. Maybe I drive slow. Kidding aside, maybe its just like the arena...... just makes too much sence.

mylesmalley
Sep 15, 2010, 2:08 AM
Considering the fiscal state the province is in, an English university in Moncton is a pipe dream at best. Setting up a proper full service institution could easily cost more than $100 million. Probably two or three times that. Not to mention you'd see a huge amount of duplicated services because of the two public colleges, Oultons and Eastern colleges, one private and one public university all within a short distance. It would be muuuuch more practical to expand english services at UdeM. Or, even moreso, turning Crandall into a fully secular institution.

As unpopular as it may be, it might be worth having the discussion about merging the public institutions in the city as well. UdeM and CCNB Dieppe could do a lot more together than they do. UNB Fredericton will probably realize some pretty good economies of scale, not to mention the less tangible benifits of having more students on campus with the opening of the new NBCC there.

I guess you have to keep the actual goal in mind. We don't need more universities. We need availability and access to post-secondary education in both official languages, and we need programs that prepare people for their chosen fields.

As for Halifax and their concentration of universities and colleges...they're in much the same boat as Fredericton. You could hire a lot more professors and pay for a lot more research if you didn't have a half-dozen administrations and duplicated bureaucracies wasting tuition and government dollars. Sorry STU.

Sunnybrae
Sep 15, 2010, 2:17 AM
About that, do you think AC mainline could ever come back in Moncton?

Mainline will return someday. The E175 and E190 jets will begin to trickle in for the early morning departures and late night arrivals. These flights are for connecting traffic for international destinations mainly so Moncton needs more people flying international. The only reason we don't have AC mainline right now is Westjet and to a lesser extent, Continental. Porter is a niche carrier but I do admire them. As long as they can hold on to Billy Bishop airport slots, they will survive.

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2010, 3:10 AM
I totally get where your comming from MonctonRad. To simplify things, two specialty schools and a community college do not make a university for anglaphones in Moncton. It only takes the will of the polititians to create what is needed

My dream would be for Crandall to actually become UNB Moncton. There is lots of room for growth at their campus. You could easily justify an anglophone university in Moncton the size of UNBSJ. Crandall is already partway there. They could retain a second smaller health sciences campus located at the Moncton Hospital.

As for Mt A...... its not in Moncton. It took me 35min to get there from the Brae but hay, if you can get to the airport from downtown in 5 minutes, you can be my cab driver. Maybe I drive slow. Kidding aside, maybe its just like the arena...... just makes too much sence.

Even though Sackville (and Shediac) are not formally part of the Moncton CMA, I personally treat them as such. So yes, as far as I'm concerned, Mt. A is a Moncton University.

Despite this, Mt. A functions more like a small elite national university rather than a "city" university for Moncton. Admission standards are very high and there is a very large proportion of students from other provinces (and countries). That's why Mt. A can't fulfill the needs of Moncton's anglophone population and this is why we need a comprehensive anglophone university in the city itself.

And, oh by the way, you must drive slowly! :haha: One of my sons goes to Mt. A so I'm back and forth quite a bit. We live way over in the Kingswood area of northwest Moncton and I can drive from my house to Sackville in 28 minutes. It is about 19 minutes from Sackville to the TCH/Rt 15 interchange by the airport. I know.......I've timed it. :tup:

Sunnybrae
Sep 15, 2010, 3:29 AM
Considering the fiscal state the province is in, an English university in Moncton is a pipe dream at best. Setting up a proper full service institution could easily cost more than $100 million. Probably two or three times that. Not to mention you'd see a huge amount of duplicated services because of the two public colleges, Oultons and Eastern colleges, one private and one public university all within a short distance. It would be muuuuch more practical to expand english services at UdeM. Or, even moreso, turning Crandall into a fully secular institution.

As unpopular as it may be, it might be worth having the discussion about merging the public institutions in the city as well. UdeM and CCNB Dieppe could do a lot more together than they do. UNB Fredericton will probably realize some pretty good economies of scale, not to mention the less tangible benifits of having more students on campus with the opening of the new NBCC there.

I guess you have to keep the actual goal in mind. We don't need more universities. We need availability and access to post-secondary education in both official languages, and we need programs that prepare people for their chosen fields.

As for Halifax and their concentration of universities and colleges...they're in much the same boat as Fredericton. You could hire a lot more professors and pay for a lot more research if you didn't have a half-dozen administrations and duplicated bureaucracies wasting tuition and government dollars. Sorry STU.

Hi mylesmalley,

This is an interesting discussion and your points are valid. I know your focusing on the economics and duplication of services and merging of educational institutions. I guess I was more focused on the "availability and access" part as well as building up our downtown core and merging it with an arena. I know my nieces and nephews wished they could have went to university here. We wouldn't have to start out with a full blown, full service university...... but we could start small like other schools do. Even with the fiscal state of the province we have this http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1094799. I know its not big dollars but kudos to U de M for expanding the university. They know how to sell the idea. Wouldn't the economic, social and civic benefits outweigh the costs? It works for them. As for Crandall, they fulfill a niche. If they get students and tuitions, I think the number was 800 students, why do they need to change?

I know none of this amounts to a hill of beans............. just sayin.....

mylesmalley
Sep 15, 2010, 3:57 AM
Education, like all social programs, is critically important. But we can't lose sight of the fact that we live in a world of financial constraints. If you have a finite budget, you therefore have to find the most effective ways of accomplishing your goals. Spending money on creating institutions is better spent on investing in existing ones and research. Because your bureaucratic overhead is essentially fixed, a dollar spent at a big school is probably more beneficial than 2 dollars spent at two smaller schools. Having a big French university system, and four public English universities in the province is more than enough.

Your point about Crandall is valid. Except that again, the province is paying a lot of money to duplicate services at a university. STU and UNB is even worse.

We seem to lose sight of what we're trying to accomplish in this province when we spend money. Instead of thinking about how we can better educate New Brunswickers, policy decisions seem to veer towards 'economic development'. How many jobs will the new school create? How much money will the new project inject into that small village? How big of a boon to downtown business would a Moncton English university be? But because we're spending money ineffectively, we're neither improving education, or the economy.

This is a really good topic for discussion. I'm afraid I'm exhausted and my points are probably not making any sense though. Time for bed!

michael_d40
Sep 15, 2010, 10:27 AM
I don't think the Continental Moncton-Newark service would end soon because for now, almost each flights are full...

Just to have an idea (this is tuesday (16th) flight), one seat left! :) : https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/flightstatus/results.aspx?NFT=SM

What irony. I am on that flight. Heading off to Seattle that day.

mylesmalley
Sep 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
Who said anything about that Continental flight going away? I was under the impression it was being expanded to more than one a day for part of the year.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
As far as the university thing goes...I'd love it if there was a 'full' university for anglophones here. I was excited with the changes at Crandall, but was let down with the opportunities there.

I have about two years of a degree completed from another university from a decade ago and wish to complete it by taking evening classes at a local university...oh wait, I can't...because our 'real' university is francophone. No local university has adequate correspondence courses, and unless I quit my job, sell my house and move...I can't finish.

Perhaps make the University of Moncton...bi-lingual? Every course offered in French also offer it in English. Think of all the students that leave Moncton to travel to other universities that would rather 'stay' here...thousands, probably tens of thousands. You could use some of the 'Vision Lands' to expand the campus in that direction and make it a true University of Moncton.

JL

theshark
Sep 15, 2010, 6:06 PM
what is the current maximum passengers the GMIA terminal was designed for??

mylesmalley
Sep 15, 2010, 6:32 PM
Last time I spoke with Rob Robichaud, I think he said around 600,000. But I may have misheard that.

He did figure that the airport's traffic could grow to around 850,000 before leveling off and growing organically. They're putting the big push on air cargo because that's where the biggest long-term growth potential is.

MonctonRad
Sep 15, 2010, 9:16 PM
Last time I spoke with Rob Robichaud, I think he said around 600,000. But I may have misheard that.

He did figure that the airport's traffic could grow to around 850,000 before leveling off and growing organically. They're putting the big push on air cargo because that's where the biggest long-term growth potential is.

I remember reading something about this in the paper a few months age. I believe that what Robichaud said at that time was that the current terminal could handle a passenger volume of about 800,000 per year and that once annual volumes exceed 650,000 per year, they would start planning for a terminal expansion.

The GMIA currently has a volume of over 550,000 per year.
-------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of future growth, I agree that the greatest potential is with air cargo. We are nearly as busy as Halifax Stanfield now and given our central location, we could potentially outdo them.

For passenger growth, the options are more limited:
- There is some potential to increase the charter market and GMIA spokespeople have recently stated that Florida and Las Vegas "are on the radar" (whatever that means).
- I would really like to see more WestJet flights. They have good connections to western Canada. You never know, with the potential for oil and gas in Albert and Kings Counties, I could see a Moncton/Calgary route opening up.
- There really should be a flight to St. John's. We did have one with CanJet before they tanked and I think it was popular. This might be a option for Porter. ie- a St. John's/Moncton/Toronto route.
- The Moncton/Newark route on Continental is popular and successful. It would also be nice to have a direct flight to Boston. I'm sure that would work as well.

If this could all come to pass, we might be able to achieve passenger volumes of 700,000 per year or so...........

MonctonRad
Sep 16, 2010, 1:23 AM
Final thoughts regarding universities in Greater Moncton

Universite de Moncton

Leave it alone. The Acadians know what they are doing here. It has become a full fledged provincial comprehensive university with a full slate of doctoral and professional programs including degrees in law and medicine. There is not much more to be done here (aside from developing a CIAU football program). :haha:

Any thoughts of turning U de M into a "bilingual" university are pure fantasy. U de M (and the Dumont Hospital) are the great shining beacons on the hill as far as the Acadian population is concerned. They are cultural institutions that help to define them as a people. There is no chance in Hades that there will ever be anglophone programs and courses offered at U de M.

Mount Allison University

Leave it alone. Mount Allison is a tremendously successful institution in it's own right. It has decided to define itself as a small liberal arts undergraduate institution of impeccable quality - and that is exactly what it has become. It is consistently ranked as the best in all of Canada at what it does. It is a small university of national stature. It is to be commended.

By choosing this course however, Mount Allison cannot satisfy all the needs and aspirations of the anglophones of southeastern NB. The lack of any professional programs at the university in particular is quite regrettable.

Mount Allison is located about 10 minutes too far from the city to allow for convenient commuting for city residents, especially in the winter. The high admission standards of the university (and limited enrollment) also means that many city high school students will not have the ability to go there.

Crandall University and UNB Moncton

This is where the solution to the higher educational needs of anglophones in Moncton resides. Major work however needs to be done.

Crandall needs to drop it's affiliation with (and governance by) the Convention of Atlantic Baptist Churches. The fundamentalist religious environment of the university is not very enticing to many city students. The university also needs to become fully compliant with the standards and rules of the MPHEC. Only then will it be fully welcomed into the family of Maritime universities.

As far as I'm concerned, Crandall should be nationalized by the province of NB and should be amalgamated with the UNB health sciences campus at the Moncton Hospital to become a real UNB Moncton.

The newly amalgamated UNB Moncton should enhance and fully develop the range of undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and business already existing at Crandall. In addition, existing professional programs in education (Crandall), health sciences and nursing (UNB Moncton) also need to be further developed. The Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick program in Moncton would also have a home at UNB Moncton with training for 3rd & 4th year medical students and medical residents.

All of the above would only be enhancing what already exists and what is already planned at Crandall and the existing UNB Moncton. Further opportunities could be explored in developing select post graduate training programs.

An amalgamated UNB Moncton would never challenge UNB Fredericton but could develop a status similar to UNBSJ. I believe this is what the anglophone population of Moncton wants and is what it deserves. The building blocks are already here and the Crandall campus on Gorge Road has lots of room for expansion.

Any further thoughts anyone?

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 16, 2010, 1:24 AM
Why not start a with a small campus and build it say, off Gunningsville in Riverview? UNB Moncton doesn't have to be IN Moncton. That would bide well with the whole Bridgedale thing too.

MonctonRad
Sep 16, 2010, 1:31 AM
Why not start a with a small campus and build it say, off Gunningsville in Riverview? UNB Moncton doesn't have to be IN Moncton. That would bide well with the whole Bridgedale thing too.

No, UNB Moncton doesn't have to be in Moncton but the existing Crandall University has three modern buildings and was gifted with a couple of hundred acres of land when they moved to the new campus on Gorge Road. It would make sense to use this as the base for UNB Moncton.

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 16, 2010, 4:11 AM
BUT Crandall is also a non-secular university. One of the only ones in the region. At the current state, nobody is in position to make Crandall into a secular post-secondary institution, which is why a small campus in say Riverview would work out perfect!

MonctonRad
Sep 16, 2010, 10:46 AM
:previous:

Crandall should be nationalized and incorporated into UNB Moncton. It would be in the best interests of the anglophone population of greater Moncton to do so.

NBNYer
Sep 16, 2010, 12:29 PM
Final thoughts regarding universities in Greater Moncton

Universite de Moncton

Leave it alone. The Acadians know what they are doing here. It has become a full fledged provincial comprehensive university with a full slate of doctoral and professional programs including degrees in law and medicine. There is not much more to be done here (aside from developing a CIAU football program). :haha:

Agreed. Although I think there can be some major improvements to the school, U de M is one of the few institutions that help sustain the acadian culture and promote it at a national and international level. It has come a long way since the 1960's and definitely has contributed a great deal to the identity of the community. It would be nice to have "local" medical school, instead of the current program, which is basically an offsite U Sherbrooke program... maybe in the future.

plus maybe a football team. :haha:

Mount Allison University

Leave it alone. Mount Allison is a tremendously successful institution in it's own right. It has decided to define itself as a small liberal arts undergraduate institution of impeccable quality - and that is exactly what it has become. It is consistently ranked as the best in all of Canada at what it does. It is a small university of national stature. It is to be commended.

By choosing this course however, Mount Allison cannot satisfy all the needs and aspirations of the anglophones of southeastern NB. The lack of any professional programs at the university in particular is quite regrettable.

Mount Allison is located about 10 minutes too far from the city to allow for convenient commuting for city residents, especially in the winter. The high admission standards of the university (and limited enrollment) also means that many city high school students will not have the ability to go there.

No doubt that Mount A is like none other in the region. I would like to see it grow and move into professional programs...probably not an easy task while maintaining a high level of quality and standards. Tampering with admission standards is definitely not the way to go for long term growth for any institution, particularly one with such a reputation. (I know you weren't implying this) Which makes growth difficult for this school.

Crandall University and UNB Moncton
Any further thoughts anyone?

Crandall and UNB Moncton? I think this is probably the best bet for anglophone post-secondary education in the city. Probably UNB would agree with us...not sure about Crandall.:D

Sunnybrae
Sep 16, 2010, 3:18 PM
I remember reading something about this in the paper a few months age. I believe that what Robichaud said at that time was that the current terminal could handle a passenger volume of about 800,000 per year and that once annual volumes exceed 650,000 per year, they would start planning for a terminal expansion.

The GMIA currently has a volume of over 550,000 per year.
-------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of future growth, I agree that the greatest potential is with air cargo. We are nearly as busy as Halifax Stanfield now and given our central location, we could potentially outdo them.

For passenger growth, the options are more limited:
- There is some potential to increase the charter market and GMIA spokespeople have recently stated that Florida and Las Vegas "are on the radar" (whatever that means).
- I would really like to see more WestJet flights. They have good connections to western Canada. You never know, with the potential for oil and gas in Albert and Kings Counties, I could see a Moncton/Calgary route opening up.
- There really should be a flight to St. John's. We did have one with CanJet before they tanked and I think it was popular. This might be a option for Porter. ie- a St. John's/Moncton/Toronto route.
- The Moncton/Newark route on Continental is popular and successful. It would also be nice to have a direct flight to Boston. I'm sure that would work as well.

If this could all come to pass, we might be able to achieve passenger volumes of 700,000 per year or so...........

I always wished Robert Irving would start up Midland Air Cargo.... that would be sweet! :D

theshark
Sep 16, 2010, 10:19 PM
Is there a flight to St John's from Moncton?? Would be nice to see a smaller airline like Air Labrador to pick up the route.

MonctonRad
Sep 16, 2010, 11:15 PM
Is there a flight to St John's from Moncton?? Would be nice to see a smaller airline like Air Labrador to pick up the route.

There used to be (CanJet), but not at present.........I think it would do well. There are a fair number of Newfies in Moncton.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 17, 2010, 12:25 PM
There was talk that "Porter" was looking at a Moncton connection to St. John's with their Toronto downtown flight.

JL

Sunnybrae
Sep 17, 2010, 1:31 PM
I just saw an artical on the Transcript website about Pinetree Minihome park getting a community center. http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1222697

I never realized how much that community has grown. 824 homes! WOW!

David_99
Sep 18, 2010, 12:44 AM

Hence the new planned Sobey's on Elmwood. ;)

pierremoncton
Sep 18, 2010, 2:14 AM
After the CFL, why not soccer? I stumbled upon this and thought I'd share here to promote the possibility. Personally, I don't care for American football and would be much more likely to attend this:

http://canadiansoccerblog.ca/2010/09/16/why-canada-should-play-in-moncton/

mylesmalley
Sep 18, 2010, 2:36 AM
Technically, it'll be Canadian Football, but the point is still valid. :notacrook:

JHikka
Sep 18, 2010, 4:03 AM
After the CFL, why not soccer? I stumbled upon this and thought I'd share here to promote the possibility. Personally, I don't care for American football and would be much more likely to attend this:

http://canadiansoccerblog.ca/2010/09/16/why-canada-should-play-in-moncton/

The horribly-named but wonderfully fresh Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium

Thank you, CSB.

I agree with the article.

In all fairness, Canada has played in different places before. They played in St. John's in 1985 against Honduras. From what I remember reading, the Hondurans weren't used to playing in temperatures under 20 (it was mid-September), and Canada won the match sending them to Mexico.

If there was a WCQ game in Moncton, I would certainly attend.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 20, 2010, 12:41 PM
If there was a WCQ game in Moncton, I would certainly attend.

For sure...that'd be awesome...and a great use of the new facility.

JL

acrew79
Sep 21, 2010, 6:33 PM
MHS - Old Problem equals new issues.

MHS has some corrosion issues with 8/80 support beams. The School has been closed for the remainder of the week as work crews repair the problem.

Taeolas
Sep 21, 2010, 7:13 PM
Given the age of the building, why didn't they do those inspections during the summer and do the repairs then?

I could sort've see it if it was discovered around Christmas or Easter or at the end of the year. But we're only 2 weeks into the school year; that sort of problem should have been found and fixed during the Summer break.

Someone really dropped the ball there.

BlackYear
Sep 21, 2010, 8:53 PM
Another Major Football Event is scheduled for 2011 at the Moncton Stadium.

Looks like this investment is going to pay itself off.

The 2011 Uteck Bowl, a university football national semifinal, will be held at the new stadium at the Université de Moncton, the Chronicle Herald reported Tuesday.

Atlantic University Sport is expected to announce the details on Wednesday, the newspaper said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/09/21/ns-halifax-moncton-football.html

And...if that isn't enough, the city is chasing the idea of hosting an outdoor NHL game at the stadium.

Plus, we haven't even scheduled the line up of concerts yet. :banana:

NBNYer
Sep 21, 2010, 10:02 PM
And...if that isn't enough, the city is chasing the idea of hosting an outdoor NHL game at the stadium.

Really?! Any more info on this?

BlackYear
Sep 21, 2010, 10:25 PM
Really?! Any more info on this?

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1227403

MonctonGoldenFlames
Sep 21, 2010, 10:31 PM

that will not happen. they should maybe work with the wildcats instead.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 22, 2010, 12:20 PM
Another Major Football Event is scheduled for 2011 at the Moncton Stadium.

Looks like this investment is going to pay itself off.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/09/21/ns-halifax-moncton-football.html

...and apparently the Mayor of Halifax is not happy about this game moving. We have to be careful we don't awake a sleeping bear, we should be looking at events that aren't regularly here not stealing events from other locations or that could bite us in the butt. What if Halifax got ticked off enough to build a 30K seat outdoor stadium and went to the CFL and said, hey, look what we have...do you think their'd be any hope in hell that we would still have a leg up? Not at chance...tread lightly Moncton.

JL

MonctonGoldenFlames
Sep 22, 2010, 2:47 PM
...and apparently the Mayor of Halifax is not happy about this game moving. We have to be careful we don't awake a sleeping bear, we should be looking at events that aren't regularly here not stealing events from other locations or that could bite us in the butt. What if Halifax got ticked off enough to build a 30K seat outdoor stadium and went to the CFL and said, hey, look what we have...do you think their'd be any hope in hell that we would still have a leg up? Not at chance...tread lightly Moncton.

JL

it's not moncton's fault they were willing to host the game. if anything, it's the organization committee for choosing to move the game to moncton from halifax, hub city is just the beneficiary. but you're right, halifax will play this as 'moncton stole it from us'

pierremoncton
Sep 22, 2010, 3:10 PM
City approves bank drive-thru on Main Street

The CIBC development will be located on a parcel of land next to Hall's Creek across from Chateau Moncton.

Full article: http://www.news919.com/news/local/article/104955--city-approves-bank-drive-thru-on-main-street

:yuck:

pierremoncton
Sep 22, 2010, 3:13 PM
I think what the public needs to do is make sure that the vision lands are developed in a thoughtful manner. Are you planning on going to the meeting pierre?

I wasn't at the meeting this week.

Was anyone else there? Anything noteworthy?

mylesmalley
Sep 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
I was at a meeting this evening for a non-profit group. They were passing around some artist renderings of the new peace centre U/C behind the federal government tower on Main St. That's going to be quite the building when completed!

BlackYear
Sep 23, 2010, 12:22 AM
I was at a meeting this evening for a non-profit group. They were passing around some artist renderings of the new peace centre U/C behind the federal government tower on Main St. That's going to be quite the building when completed!

Not much to look at, but at least it gives an idea on what it's going to look like. These renderings may have been posted here before...several hundred pages back!

http://www.communitypeacecentre.ca/benefits.php
http://www.communitypeacecentre.ca/images/Model-View-3.jpg

http://www.communitypeacecentre.ca/images/2-Oak.jpg

http://www.communitypeacecentre.ca/images/Model-View-4.jpg

mylesmalley
Sep 23, 2010, 2:42 AM
Yeah, I didn't want to repost those. The ones I saw were a rending of a completed and operational building. Actually they were quite well done. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find them online.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
That's a horrible looking addition...why are architects not creative any more, why is everything just a 'big box' with some windows. Especially when it's beside a hundred year old stone church...

Yuck I say...

JL

pierremoncton
Sep 23, 2010, 1:35 PM
This picture may have been posted before:

http://mediaroom.acoa-apeca.gc.ca/mediaroom/photo/images/Community_Peace_Centre(M).jpg

Source: http://mediaroom.acoa-apeca.gc.ca/mediaroom/photo/form/medium_CLF2.shtml?718

There's also a high-res image at that page.

MonctonGoldenFlames
Sep 23, 2010, 3:39 PM
That's a horrible looking addition...why are architects not creative any more, why is everything just a 'big box' with some windows. Especially when it's beside a hundred year old stone church...

Yuck I say...

JL

it's called 'a budget'

NBNYer
Sep 23, 2010, 5:20 PM

Yuck I say...

JL

Ok, so it's not going to redefine the downtown, but I don't think it's as bad as you portray it to be. If good quality materials are used, it could make for a pleasing-looking modern contrast to the neighboring church.

It's definitely better than a surface parking lot.

MonctonRad
Sep 24, 2010, 3:15 AM
And now it's official........

Mapleton Road medical complex unveiled
Published Thursday September 23rd, 2010

New $12-million building will be one-stop shop for orthodontics, plastic surgery and other medical procedures
by Alan Cochrane
Times & Transcript staff

The partners in a new $12-million private medical clinic now under construction on Mapleton Road in Moncton say it will be a one-stop shop for orthodontics, plastic surgery and other procedures that could pave the way for changes in the way services are delivered in New Brunswick.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=588383&size=600x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
This is an artist's rendering of what the new complex will look like.

Dr. Brent Howley, Dr. Nach Daniel, Dr. Michel Martin and Dr. Ali Hussain are the four partners in the project. Dr. Nach Daniel, an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who is one of the partners in the venture, said yesterday that the provincial government has already been looking at the idea of using private medical facilities to ease the burden on the public health-care system. He and the other partners say getting privately-owned facilities to carry out medical procedures outside of hospitals and billing medicare for those services will help ease wait times in the health care system and actually save the government money.

"The numbers have shown that by doing that the government will save money because these facilities are run in a way that are much more efficient (than public facilities). I predict that in the next government there's going to be a lot of changes," Daniel said yesterday following the sod-turning ceremony for the new 45,000-square-foot building. The new complex will be located at 585 Mapleton Road, just a few steps away from the busy Trinity Drive shopping area in Moncton's north end. Construction is to begin immediately and be ready for occupancy by next June.

The complex, branded "585" after its civic address, is a partnership between four local physicians, orthodontist Dr. Michel Martin, oral and maxillofacial surgeon Dr. Nach Daniel, and plastic surgeons Dr. Ali Husain and Dr. Brent Howley. All four physicians will be major tenants in the building, accounting for approximately half the building space.

"The new 585 complex will allow all of us to expand with the most modern dental, medical and surgical equipment and operating rooms available today," Martin said. "The current facilities we have are too small. Our new complex makes good sense from both a patient care and business point of view. All of the partners' practices and patients will benefit from this new facility."

The doctors said Moncton's central location makes it ideal for the complex to serve patients from all over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Having it close to local retailers, restaurants and hotels will make it convenient for people coming to the city for various medical treatments.

Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc is pleased with this new investment in the city.

"I am so pleased to see this major private investment in our city. This is a strong show of confidence in Moncton's growing and thriving economy," LeBlanc said in a news release. "The new 585 complex will be a major asset to the city's tax base and architecture. The services provided by tenants will also lead to an improved quality of life for our citizens, making us more attractive to investors and new residents."

The partners said space in the 585 complex is filling up fast. Negotiations are underway with other potential tenants, such as dentists, physiotherapists and laser eye surgeons.

"As the most modern medical and professional services complex in Moncton, the 585 complex is an excellent choice for any related providers," Martin said.

NBNYer
Sep 24, 2010, 3:56 AM
:previous: $12 million is even more than I had first heard. A bit more detail in this rendering, not sure if I like the mosaic pattern of cladding.

So, surgery under GA in a private facility, a first in the province, is it not?

mylesmalley
Sep 24, 2010, 9:59 AM
I had orthodontic surgery (wisdom teeth) a couple years ago at the clinic on Mountain Rd. They knocked me out pretty good. I don't exactly know what the definition of general anesthesia is though. Maybe our resident doctor could chime in?

MonctonRad
Sep 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
I had orthodontic surgery (wisdom teeth) a couple years ago at the clinic on Mountain Rd. They knocked me out pretty good. I don't exactly know what the definition of general anesthesia is though. Maybe our resident doctor could chime in?

You probably had deep conscious sedation (likely with Versed and/or Fentanyl), so you would have been able to breathe on your own. If you require respiratory support (intubation) then that would qualify as GA and requires an anaesthesiologist.

Even deep conscious sedation requires controlled conditions, as giving too much could suppress respiration to the point of respiratory arrest (think Michael Jackson)
:dead:

I believe NBNYer is right.........I can't think of any other outpatient private surgery facility in the province. I presume that they must have the blessings of the department of health.

BTW, NBNYer qualifies as a medical professional as well (DDS with post-graduate periodontal training).

NBNYer
Sep 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
:previous: Not to nitpick, but orthodontics is a non-surgical field. Wisdom teeth extraction is within the field of oral surgery, and often performed by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, although GPs often do it to. The mountain road clinic does not perform GA, if you were "out", than you had IV conscious sedation. So you are aware during the procedure, although most people don't remember. General anesthesia means that your are completely unconscious and on a ventilator during the procedure, only an anesthesiologist can induce this state and is required to monitor the patient. GA requires quite a setup and a full operatory and staff, but the surgeons can perform surgeries that are usually too invasive to be done outside the hospital (like orthognatic surgery, major bone grafting and dental implant work etc.)

NBNYer
Sep 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry MonctonRad, I guess you beat me to it. :haha:

Again, not to nitpick, by I'm actually a DMD. (Pretty much the same thing, just depends what school you go to, I guess! ;) Most schools now are converting to the DMD, although I think Dal is still a DDS. McGill recently changed and slightly changed their program.)

originally posted by MonctonRad:
Even deep conscious sedation requires controlled conditions, as giving too much could suppress respiration to the point of respiratory arrest (think Michael Jackson)

Except, I hope the clinic on Mountain is not administering Propofol for sedation! :haha:

MonctonRad
Sep 24, 2010, 12:57 PM
I have no experience with propofolol. I do mostly minor interventions requiring nothing more than cutaneous analgesia with Xylocaine. Some of the other radiologists do use Versed for more major interventions such as deep abscess drainages and nephrostomies. Occasionally the interventional radiologists get the anaesthesiologists down for major procedures requiring long term respiratory control (GA) such as coiling brain aneurysms.

.......but I digress. There you have it Myles, never ask a health professional anything. You'll only get a long winded answer. :)

mylesmalley
Sep 24, 2010, 1:07 PM
On the contrary. I've found the previous few posts to be quite informative. I suppose you could extend that warning to almost any type of professional. Although I think it's safe to say that most professions don't have terms as unpleasant sounding as nephrostomy, aneurysm, and 'deep abscess drainages'.

Also, I apologize. I didn't realize we had two physician forumers!

MonctonRad
Sep 24, 2010, 4:26 PM
Will we host world soccer?
Published Friday September 24th, 2010

City says it's 'on the radar,' while online support grows across the country
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

An online community of soccer fans from across the country is trying to rally support to bring the Canadian men's national soccer team to Moncton for an exhibition game in 2011.

Daniel Squizzato is a Toronto-based writer for the online weblog "Some Canadian Guys Writing About Soccer" and is a member of the Canadian soccer supporters group, The Voyageurs. He has recently championed the cause of promoting the potential benefit of the men's national soccer team playing in Hub City.

"I looked at the fact that Moncton has the new stadium and that it's centrally located in the Maritimes, while still being pretty close to (major soccer markets) Ontario and Quebec," Squizzato said. "Looking at the success of the upcoming CFL game and the fact the tickets got snapped up for that so quickly I thought Moncton could probably serve as a good host city for a game like this."

Earlier this month, Squizzato posted an article on his website detailing why he thought Moncton would be an ideal city to host such an event, including the benefits of the new grass Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium, the ability to draw a pro-Canadian crowd and the city's central location.

He has also started an online petition of those supporting the idea of the game in Moncton, which he plans to send to the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) when it reaches 1,000 signatures.

So how did an Ontarian get fixated on bringing a soccer game to Moncton? The idea was born out of frustration following a game close to home, when the Canadian men's national team played Peru at BMO Field in Toronto on Sept. 4.

"The field was not full by any stretch of the imagination, it was probably about half full and there were a few sections of very loud, very dedicated, very vocal pro-Canadian fans, however, the majority of the seats that were filled were filled by fans of Peru," Squizzato said. "To watch our national team play on supposedly home soil in front of largely a contingent of opposition fans is disheartening."

Squizzato said sports fans in bigger cities tend to get complacent about events,, whereas, as evidenced by Sunday's CFL game and this summer's IAAF World Junior Championships, Moncton seems to have no trouble drumming up excitement and interest for sporting events.

"I think it would be fantastic (to host a men's national team game here)," said Jeff Salvis, executive director of Soccer New Brunswick, who has signed the petition. "Obviously with a new stadium here, it hasn't gone unnoticed to us. Professional soccer in Canada is growing ... it might be something that would be very viable here in Moncton."

Salvis said there are in excess of 20,000 people playing soccer in New Brunswick each year and it's the largest sport not only in the province, but in the country. That level of popularity would certainly help draw spectators, he said.

"Let's say it was the men's national team against a fairly high-ranked opponent, I think that selling out the building would not be difficult," he said. "I think people would come from far and wide to see a high-profile national team game, so to say we could we put 10,000 in the stadium, I think that's very achievable, I don't think that's a stretch."

Salvis added that Moncton playing host to such a contest could prove invaluable to growing the game in this region.

"I'm happy to play our role in paving the path for this, assuming that there is enough interest and that there would be enough interest in the business community to support it," he said.

Peter Montopoli, the CSA's general secretary and Dominic Maestracci, the CSA's president, were en route to Trinidad & Tobago yesterday for a CONCACAF congress and were unavailable for comment. However, CSA's director of communications Richard Scott said both the online petition and Moncton's stadium are known to the association.

The CSA has plans to have a site visit to the Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium at some point in the future and has also made it a goal to try to have the national men's team play more home games in Canada in years to come.

Ian Fowler, Moncton's general manager of tourism, recreation, parks and culture, said he's had dialogue with CSA about possible partnerships and it's something they'll be pursuing in the coming weeks.

He said the Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium lends itself extremely well to soccer and there's "no question" that soccer matches are "on the radar" for the city.

"I think it proves our theory of build the infrastructure, like the stadium, have some successful events and success breeds success," Fowler said. "People have obviously seen the stadium with the track and field championships, realized the potential, they hear about the CFL game, so that works across the country in spurring other people on to take a role of leadership."

While it remains to be seen whether or not Moncton will be chosen to host high-level future Canadian soccer matches, diehard supporters like Squizzato remain hopeful grassroots efforts can help play a role.

Although the online petition has received a lot of support from across Canada, Squizzato said the most important place that interest needs to catch on is obviously in Moncton. "If there is a groundswell of support from people in Moncton who say they think this is a good idea, a good way to use the stadium and something they would go out and attend, that would really help the initiative along."

* The online petition to bring a Canadian men's national soccer team game to Moncton in 2011 can be found through the website wwww.canadiansoccerblog.ca or directly at www.petitiononline.com/nbsoccer

Personal note: You can't attract these events without having the facilities in place to support them. This is a prime example of "if you build it, they will come". The benefits of building the stadium and hosting the IAAF World Junior Track & Field Championships are beginning to manifest themselves.

- CFL regular season game 2010 (and maybe every year until 2015)
- Uteck Bowl (national semi-final CIAU football championships) in 2011 and in 2013 and 2015 as well.
- Canadian national track and field championships in 2013 and 2014.
- Maybe a Canadian national team soccer game in 2011.
- Possibility of a Women's World Cup soccer game if Canada wins the World Cup bid in 2015.

It keep's getting better and better. :tup:

MonctonRad
Sep 25, 2010, 2:59 PM
Looks like there might be some site preparation work going on at the corner of Homestead Road and Mountain Road (across from the Magnetic Hill McDonald's). I don't know what this means but isn't this where Microtel Inns Hotel & Suites was thinking of building.........

Does anyone have any info on this?

mike4190
Sep 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
Nov 26, 2007 – Microtel Inns & Suites, the award-winning chain of all new-construction economy/limited service hotels, today announced the execution of franchise agreements to develop seven new Microtel Inn & Suites hotels in Canada: two in Ontario including London and Woodstock; and five in Atlantic Canada including St. John and Moncton, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Dartmouth and Sydney, Nova Scotia.

The two Microtel hotels in Ontario are scheduled to break ground in March 2008 and open next fall. The Atlantic Canada properties are all anticipated to break ground in 2008.

MonctonRad
Sep 28, 2010, 9:16 PM

JL

And the wave of panic is growing on the Halifax forum (if you go and read it). I however would not recommend leaving any comments............they'll bite your head off!! :haha:

The same thing is happening as happened after Moncton scored with the Rolling Stones. Halifax is scrambling to catch up. Mayor Kelly is apparently now talking about the need for a stadium (all of a sudden).

Unfortunately the sleeping bear has awakened. They are not going to go quietly into the good night.

It is irksome that Moncton does all the legwork and then Halifax tries to swoop in to take over.

There will be a fight for any potential CFL franchise. Hopefully our initial work on this file will continue to pay dividends.

StormShadow
Sep 28, 2010, 10:32 PM
And the wave of panic is growing on the Halifax forum (if you go and read it). I however would not recommend leaving any comments............they'll bite your head off!! :haha:

The same thing is happening as happened after Moncton scored with the Rolling Stones. Halifax is scrambling to catch up. Mayor Kelly is apparently now talking about the need for a stadium (all of a sudden).

Unfortunately the sleeping bear has awakened. They are not going to go quietly into the good night.

It is irksome that Moncton does all the legwork and then Halifax tries to swoop in to take over.

There will be a fight for any potential CFL franchise. Hopefully our initial work on this file will continue to pay dividends.

I noticed during the pre-game TSN mentioned there wasn't a mere mention of this game in Halifax papers/media. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. They didn't ignore Moncton and the region hosting a CFL game, they ignored the CFL itself.

The CFL wasn't hosting a game in the Maritimes to find out if people like football- They know that already. They were there to display their product to find more people to sell it to: Partners, investors, and fans.

There's only one way to look at it: The CFL now understands who is interested in helping them grow their business and who isn't.

Haliguy
Sep 28, 2010, 10:43 PM

Swoop and take over...where do you get off saying that anyway. Halifax has just as much right to go after a CFL team and have had an exhibition game and had been awarded a team in the past. Last weekend was Moncton’s first taste of the CFL.

I congratulate Moncton on hosting the game on the weekend but I really don't think they could support a team. To have a team you need a season ticket base that I do not think a team in Moncton would be able to pull it off.

MonctonRad
Sep 28, 2010, 11:08 PM
Swoop and take over...where do you get off saying that anyway. Halifax has just as much right to go after a CFL team and have had an exhibition game and had been awarded a team in the past. Last weekend was Moncton’s first taste of the CFL.

My point Haliguy is that HRM would never have gone to the trouble of configuring the commons for major outdoor concerts if Moncton had not done it (successfully) first.

Similarly, there would be no sudden panic over a new stadium for HRM if Moncton had not secured the IAAF World Championships and built an appropriate venue. Even here, there was the usual torpor in Halifax City Hall until the massive success of the CFL game last week.

I can hardly wait for Halifax's response when they find out about Sir Richard Branson's trip to Moncton next month.

Moncton is good for Halifax.........we prod you into action! :tup:

P Unit
Sep 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
I watched some of the game on Sunday. I'm not a football fan at all but it was pretty cool to see the hometown getting some attention.

I think that there's one thing that will make or break a possible CFL franchise in Moncton: Irving. They have the deep pockets, have shown themselves to be open to investing in local sports teams and can provide the immense corporate presence that could persuade other companies and individuals to invest in luxury boxes. With regards to filling a 20 to 25 thousand person stadium 8 or 10 times a year or whatever, I think that either Moncton or Halifax could do that easily so long as ticket prices are reasonable.

Regarding the cost of the stadium, I think the quote of 75 million or whatever it was is a bit high. BMO Field in Toronto was built from scratch for about 65 million or so, and the Argos were verrrry interested in moving in there before realizing it wasn't viable due to field size. With the existing infrastructure that already exists at the new stadium, I can't imagine it would be more expensive than building BMO from the ground up. I think that a stadium like BMO would be ideal, as it's utilitarian (read: cheap) but still provides a great, intimate fan experience (now if only TFC could field a decent team....)

On a completely different topic, does anyone have any pictures of the new building going up next to the Arts building at U de M?

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 29, 2010, 3:28 PM

I congratulate Moncton on hosting the game on the weekend but I really don't think they could support a team. To have a team you need a season ticket base that I do not think a team in Moncton would be able to pull it off.

I'll respond here in the same way I did in the CFL thread:

What a lot of people are missing is that sure Halifax has a greater metro population but if it goes in Halifax...it would be a Halifax team. You are not going to get the total regional support you would of a team in Moncton. An individual in say Bathurst isn't going to drive 5+ hours (one way) to get to Halifax 10 times a summer/fall...but I bet they'd drive 2-ish.

I'm quite sure a fan in say Saint John would buy season tickets in Moncton before they would in Halifax, or one in Charlottetown would buy season tickets in Moncton before Halifax...

It all comes down to what the CFL wants, do they want a 'regional' team that encompasses the whole of the Maritimes...or do they want a Halifax team that some people from other locations go see.

JL

PS> Also, I really don't think Halifax "cares" if they get a CFL team...they only care if Moncton gets one!

MonctonRad
Sep 29, 2010, 9:51 PM
So, the warm glow from the CFL game last week is slowly wearing off. It's probably time to decide what this venture means for the future of Moncton.

By most accounts, if we are to pursue a CFL franchise, the stadium will have to be upgraded and expanded, probably to the tune of $60-75M. This is a considerable hunk of change.

At the same time, the city is looking at a new downtown arena/events centre. This is also a pricey venture, most likely in the vicinity of $80M.

Between these two projects, that means that the city is looking at over $150M in infrastructure. Can the city of Moncton afford this? What should our priorities be? Which of these two projects is most important? Can we do both?

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions............

JHikka
Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 PM

Not going to comment on the financial side of it, but if Moncton upgraded their stadium furthermore and built a new arena downtown I would have no problem with going to Moncton for sporting events. :tup:

Taeolas
Sep 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
Considering Moncton already has a pro Hockey team that does well, but needs a new arena, and doesn't have a CFL team yet, it seems obvious to me. Get the new arena downtown for the Hockey, and keep the interest high for CFL with Touchdown Atlantics.

If they can do the arena within the next 5 years, as long as Touchdown Atlantics stay popular, then a CFL team in 2020 might be feasible. (Maybe sooner).

BlackYear
Sep 29, 2010, 10:58 PM
Between these two projects, that means that the city is looking at over $150M in infrastructure. Can the city of Moncton afford this? What should our priorities be? Which of these two projects is most important? Can we do both?

Moncton MUST not lose focus on a downtown arena. This is a priority. We need one today and not tomorrow. The impact of a downtown arena which can be used 12 months of the year outweigh the need to upgrade a newly 2010 stadium.

Let the CFL continue to bring a yearly game to Moncton for the next 3 years. I'm sure no one would have a problem with that. In the meantime, the current state of the stadium can begin to make money by hosting other sporting events and concerts. No need to get over our heads with this stadium.

As much as I would like to see both venues appear magically by the snap of my fingers, we have to be smart about this and plan appropriately.

StormShadow
Sep 30, 2010, 1:36 AM
Moncton MUST not lose focus on a downtown arena. This is a priority. We need one today and not tomorrow. The impact of a downtown arena which can be used 12 months of the year outweigh the need to upgrade a newly 2010 stadium.

Let the CFL continue to bring a yearly game to Moncton for the next 3 years. I'm sure no one would have a problem with that. In the meantime, the current state of the stadium can begin to make money by hosting other sporting events and concerts. No need to get over our heads with this stadium.

As much as I would like to see both venues appear magically by the snap of my fingers, we have to be smart about this and plan appropriately.

+1

I think any investor would want to see at least 2 more Touchdown Atlantics before making a decision. I think Ottawa is getting a team again in 2013, and I really do think Quebec City would be next in line. Moncton's best chance at a team might end being the one Ottawa doesn't want, since it's their 3rd or 4th kick at the can in recent memory.

mylesmalley
Sep 30, 2010, 2:59 AM
I have real issues with the notion that the CFL would require that much investment in the stadium. What, exactly, would be required to bring the stadium up to their 'standard'? If it's simply more seats, that's not a big issue. If it's something trivial like concrete stands, then I think such requirements are more an excuse to not expand.

As others have posted, of the two projects, the new arena clearly should take priority. It's just a matter of value. Granted, a CFL-ready stadium would be great, but how much usage would a place like that get compared to an arena? I don't know how many games are in a Q League season, but I think it's safe to say it'd be a lot more than the CFL. Plus concerts. And lest we forget that a stadium is only good for 7-8 months of the year and is limited by weather.

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2010, 3:05 AM
I agree with the majority consensus.........

I view a downtown arena as an immediate priority. The coliseum is outdated and is plagued in the springtime with scheduling conflicts that routinely interfere with the Wildcats playoff schedule. The downtown needs a focus to help build it's identity as a true "city centre". An arena/events centre, especially if combined with a hotel, retail, restaurants and parking would give the downtown the identity it needs. This has to be the city's top priority and should be our focus for the next three years (or so).

A stadium refurbishment to accomodate a CFL team is more of an intermediate term goal. Ottawa will join the league in 2013 and is the CFL's main focus at present. The Touchdown Atlantic series of games will probably extend to 2014 (or so) and are designed to test the market to determine if there is sufficient interest in the CFL to take the next step.

As such, there is no chance for a Moncton franchise before 2015 and I personally feel the time frame is more likely to be 2018-2020. This gives us lots of time to get all our eggs in a row and proceed with this venture in a truly considered manner.

Of course, the longer we take with this file, the greater the risk of Halifax getting it's act together and becoming a viable contender for a CFL franchise. We should proceed therefore as quickly as prudence will allow.

A new downtown arena by 2013 and a new (or refurbished) stadium by 2018. This is eminently possible. We can have both, but the arena comes first. :)

theshark
Sep 30, 2010, 5:45 PM
I think that the city should concentrate on what sport teams she already has. The Cats have been on Moncton for quite a while and in dire need of a new arena focus on that first and once that this is done, start working on a CFL team.

acrew79
Sep 30, 2010, 6:07 PM
Hey everyone.. just wanted to point out that the Mapleton Road over pass is open to 3 lanes from TCH going towards Mtn Road. ( 2 straight through and 1 on ramp from Trinity ) .. Mountain Road - TCH is open to 2 ( 1 left turn one straight through).. ALMOST THERE!!

theshark
Sep 30, 2010, 6:08 PM
wow, after how many years??

riverviewer
Sep 30, 2010, 11:24 PM
Definitely need the new downtown arena/events centre before upgrading a brand new stadium...and we really a new downtown hotel.

All our better downtown hotels are sold out next week. What's up?

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2010, 11:40 PM
Stadium continues to impress
Published Thursday September 30th, 2010

Moncton's newest facility is proving a versatile locale to host a number of different events
By Brent Mazerolle
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Moncton's new Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium has already lived up to expectations.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=593689&size=800x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT

Approximately 21,000 CFL football fans thronged into the Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium at the Université de Moncton campus on Sunday to watch the Toronto Argonauts take on the Edmonton Eskimos in a regular season game. The success of the event and the venue are one more piece in the puzzle to make Moncton an entertainment destination. In a two-month span since it was completed it has hosted the International Association of Athletics Federations' World Junior Championships and the first regular season Canadian Football League game ever held in Atlantic Canada. That's not to mention the Canadian Junior Track and Field Championships in June and playing host to 12,000 people who came out to see the Olympic Flame last November.

Last week, it landed the Uteck Bowl national semifinal university football games in 2011, 2013 and 2015, events expected to have significant economic impacts on the city. It is also the confirmed site for the Canadian Track and Field Championships in 2013 and 2014.

Beyond that, on the horizon is its possible selection as a venue for the next women's world cup of soccer, an outdoor NHL game and eventually the home of a Université de Moncton football team.

As well, CFL commissioner Mark Cohon all but admitted to reporters in Moncton last week that the city will probably host a number of future CFL games, saying only the provincial election on Monday prevented an announcement, which he said should be forthcoming in the next "30 to 60 days."

On top of all that, the IAAF's president Lamine Diack hopes the city will take advantage of its state-of-the-art track, currently one of a handful of the finest facilities in the world, and host an annual track event for the Americas.

With all that going on, the facility is certainly the envy of the region. No wonder Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly took to his Facebook page Tuesday to solicit Haligonians' opinions of their city building a stadium too.

"A stadium could be a great asset for our community given a sound business plan," he wrote. "Building it would require government participation with your tax dollars. It would also require commitments from private enterprise for the ongoing operation. Clearly, over time, it will be built. How (do) you see this developing?"

While the mayor of Halifax develops those future ideas for his city, the question now for Moncton is how to develop what it already has in hand.

How does the new stadium, with its 10,000-seat regular capacity and the ability to expand by 15,000 to 20,000 more, fit in with Moncton's positioning of the city as the events capital of Atlantic Canada? Ian Fowler, the general manager of the City of Moncton's department of Recreation, Parks and Culture, said yesterday the stadium complements rather than replaces any other venues. There will still be a need for an indoor multi-purpose entertainment centre, for instance, and there is still a role for the Magnetic Hill concert site.

"You're looking at the Triple Crown with those three sites," Fowler said, before adding "you can put the newly renovated Kiwanis Park in the mix too, which some forget as another entertainment centre," for the city.

Kiwanis Park gives the city a 1,500-seat venue that can be expanded with temporary seats.

The 2010 stadium proved this past weekend it can be radically and effectively expanded too, with its normal capacity doubled for the CFL's Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic game.

The same number or even more seats could be added for an outdoor NHL game, or at its regular size, it could host an outdoor Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game.

A new downtown metro events centre would still be a flagship facility, offering a 9,000-seat venue year-round in any weather.

There are concerts that are too small for the Magnetic Hill concert site but too big for a new indoor events centre that will now be able to play the stadium.

"It filled a niche we didn't have in a variety of ways," Fowler said.

Even though it doesn't offer the comforts of being indoors on a January night, Fowler nevertheless sees the stadium's potential as a spring, summer and fall facility.

"We're placing ourselves well in all aspects of becoming the entertainment centre," he said.

Personal note: This article just rehashes many of the things we have already pointed out on this forum but I think it is a nice summary (and a cool photo too).

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2010, 11:51 PM
http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=593706&size=600x0

Workers continue to tear down the former Filles de Jesus Maison Provinciale building on Elmwood Drive. The property was bought by Sobeys.

I guess since this building is being replaced by a shopping plaza anchored by a new Sobey's, it constitutes an example of the city actually losing height and density. :(

MonctonRad
Sep 30, 2010, 11:55 PM
Mapleton bridge work wrapping up
Published Thursday September 30th, 2010
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Not only can you now see the light at the end of the tunnel, the road to it is now also paved.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=593707&size=600x0
GREG AGNEWTIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Crews from Modern Construction attempt to dry off the road as they got ready to pave the bridge on Mapleton Road over Wheeler Boulevard yesterday.

The Province of New Brunswick expected its contractor to be done the expansion of Mapleton Bridge by the end of September, and right on schedule the bridge was being paved yesterday.

All the work on the multi-year, crucial road project is expected to be completed by the end of October, which is great news for Christmas shoppers.

You will see the paving crews disappear again for a couple more weeks, but they will come back to finish the job. The plan is to save the paving of the intersection at Mapleton and Trinity, one of the city's busiest on a typical shopping day, for Thanksgiving Monday, when all the retail outlets in the area are closed.

Thank God!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

NBNYer
Oct 1, 2010, 12:21 AM
Definitely need the new downtown arena/events centre before upgrading a brand new stadium...and we really a new downtown hotel.

All our better downtown hotels are sold out next week. What's up?

+ another for the downtown arena first!

Regarding downtown hotels, the latest addition (Marriott) does not really cater to the same clientele as others downtown, such as Deltal and Crowne Plaza. Considering the hotel boom experienced in the past decade in parts other than downtown, I am surprised that we haven't seen this happen there. I think a case could be made for one, especially with a new arena. Hotel/arena combo maybe??

NBNYer
Oct 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
Quebec City was in a similar situation as Moncton regarding a new arena... waiting on the federal government for funding. Now it looks like they're fed up with waiting and going ahead with it anyways, and think about funding later! The mayor there (Labeaume) has been very aggressive in the past couple of years with moving forward on a variety of major projects like mass transit, lobying for an NHL team and now for the winter Olympics. A growing number of people see him as reckless. The following article is about the arena. (sorry, it's only in French)

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/Quebec/2010/09/30/007-amphitheatre_appel_doffres.shtml

This kind of governing tends to get things done, but on the other hand, you run a great risk of getting yourself in a pretty bad situation with not much to show for it. It would be nice to see local officials move a bit faster on issues like the arena in Moncton, but stories like this in Quebec City makes me gain some patience by reminding me that running into this may not be very wise... Who knows, it might pay off for Quebec, hopefully for them!

Anyhow, it'd be nice to have an NHL team in Quebec again, mainly so that the Montreal Canadiens can once again show them how it's done :haha:

mylesmalley
Oct 1, 2010, 2:01 AM
I guess since this building is being replaced by a shopping plaza anchored by a new Sobey's, it constitutes an example of the city actually losing height and density. :(

Aaahhhhh...Progress!

David_99
Oct 1, 2010, 4:10 AM
http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=593706&size=600x0

Workers continue to tear down the former Filles de Jesus Maison Provinciale building on Elmwood Drive. The property was bought by Sobeys.

That pic is from yesterday and it's already dated. Both side-wings are now gone and the front of the remaining centre section started coming down today.

Will Moncton High be next!? :(

MonctonRad
Oct 1, 2010, 11:19 AM
As per the above:

Moncton High's safety concerns teachers
Last Updated: Thursday, September 30, 2010 | 3:33 PM AT
CBC News

The majority of Moncton High School teachers want to move out of the 75-year-old building because of ongoing safety concerns.

A union source confirmed the teachers sent Karen Branscombe, the District 2 superintendent, a letter on Wednesday outlining their fears about working in the 75-year-oold school.

A source within the union says the vast majority of teachers at Moncton High are keeping logs of their personal health and more than half say they are sick.

This is not the first time the problem has surfaced.

In April, Craig Eagles, a teacher at Moncton High School, told the consultant looking into the future of the school the problem is getting worse.

"We have 50 signatures from teachers in the building three years ago complaining of illness," Eagles said at the time.

The consultants report on what to do with the aging building is due next week.

Ontario-based CS&P Architects said it could cost $48 million to bring the school up to building code. Many new schools are expected to have a life of 30 years

But the teachers are worried this is just a delaying tactic.

They want an immediate decision on dealing with their health and safety concerns and they feel the only solution is to move out of the building.

A representative for the school district confirmed they've received this letter.

The person says district officials met all day to deal with the problem but the spokesperson would not offer any further comment.

Moncton High sent home its 1,300 students last week after engineers discovered that six structural columns needed to be fixed.

The repairs completed last week are estimated to have cost $50,000.

The district estimates that in the last 18 months there have been 250 different repair projects undertaken at the building, which first opened in 1935.

Other problems have since been found, forcing one classroom and the old gym to be sealed off from students.

It looks like things may be coming to a head. I fear for the future of this grand old building...............:(

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/09/30/nb-moncton-high-teachers-315.html#ixzz116Z8lPX0

JasonL-Moncton
Oct 1, 2010, 1:23 PM
That pic is from yesterday and it's already dated. Both side-wings are now gone and the front of the remaining centre section started coming down today.

Will Moncton High be next!? :(

Very sad to see that building go, bad form Sobey's, bad form!

Steelcowboy
Oct 1, 2010, 5:30 PM
Going back to that football debate, Moncton should get one 1st..I think it would be quite the let down for the Maritimes if a team doesn't land here. Kudo's to all who travelled here from PEI, NS, NB and across the country.

As far as Halifax is concerned... they should go for a team if they think they can fill a stadium. Can you imagine those games..what a rivalry it would be.

One thing that could be brought up IF --IF a team were to land here...or even for future CFL games OR major events, With IRSI rebuilding all these RDC's for VIA, maybe the government could lobby VIA to start a RDC service between Moncton and Saint John. The train could load and unload passengers off at the VIA depot or set up a temporary spot off of Mill Rd. Just a thought :P

:cheers:

MonctonRad
Oct 1, 2010, 11:02 PM
One thing that could be brought up IF --IF a team were to land here...or even for future CFL games OR major events, With IRSI rebuilding all these RDC's for VIA, maybe the government could lobby VIA to start a RDC service between Moncton and Saint John. The train could load and unload passengers off at the VIA depot or set up a temporary spot off of Mill Rd. Just a thought :P

:cheers:

I'm a big fan of re-establishing inter-city rail service in the Maritimes......it's an idea whose time has come!

The trouble is that there has been so much rail line abandonment in the last 30 years that there are not many oportunities out there without rebuilding abandoned lines.

A daily service between Moncton and Saint John is obvious and should be re-established yesterday. :yes: I could see morning and evening trains in both directions between the two cities, with stops also in Hampton, Sussex, Petitcodiac and maybe even Salisbury.

The morning VIA train to Halifax should be supplemented by a train in the opposite direction. In addition to the evening train to Montreal, there should be a separate local route (travelling the opposite direction) serving the northern and eastern shore of the province. This local route would serve Moncton, Rogersville, Miramichi, Bathurst, Dalhousie and Campbellton.

If rail commuting ever became really popular again, I could envisage a several times daily commuter route from Moncton to Memramcook, Sackville and Amherst too...............of course, this would require peoples hands to be pried off their steering wheels but you never know; if this was Europe, these routes would already exist. :)

mylesmalley
Oct 2, 2010, 3:23 AM
The jaded cynic in me has been clambering for an open mic for a while now...

We won't see any more railroads any time soon. Know why? Because rail lines don't 'create' nearly as many jobs as unnecessary road construction. And trains require far fewer people per tonne of cargo than fleets of transport trucks (again, job creation).

And it's sexier to create (I'm going out on a limb here because I really don't know) very lightly-used inter-city trails on former rail RoWs than it is to cut new tracks out to improve access and flow.

Nope. Rail just makes too much sense.

Steelcowboy
Oct 2, 2010, 4:30 AM
The NBSR in Saint John seems to be running passenger excursions almost on a weekly basis, now that doesn't do anything for this area as CN owns the tracks to Saint John, there are only 2 trains a day each way to SJ from Moncton...the infrastructure is already in place...A running agreement would have to be signed with CN and VIa or even the NBSR (using NBSR equipment, but CN crew members (2) an engineer and a conductor. They already have some agreement in place as they run a special passenger train during the dragon boat races. I'm sure its doable...NBSR just purchased their 4th passenger coach, a vintage CN car..beautifully restored! GOOGLE it..the car is called the METIS, lots of talk of it as it travelled from BC to SJ.

If that were the case....think about it...GAMEDAY in MONCTON, people from from Fredericton can board the train at Fredericton JCT, Saint John fans get on in Saint John, a stop at Sussex and away to the game they go..tail gate party on the train...i'm sure school buses or other means can be arranged to transport them from the depot to the game :) ya I may be dreaming...but its a possibility, depends who speaks up and makes it happen. ESPECIALLY if IRVING becomes a sponsor or a key investor (NBSR--owned by Irving).

:cool:

MonctonRad
Oct 2, 2010, 3:01 PM

So Steelcowboy, you obviously envisage a new passenger rail service operated by the NBSR rather than an expanded service offered by VIA.

I know that this would not be a unique situation (there are independent scheduled passenger services operated by ONR, BC Rail, and of course GO Transit), but do you think this is the best option for us here?

Regardless, the existing rail line from Moncton to Saint John is due for a re-established inter-city passenger route. I'm not so sure about including Fredericton Junction into the mix though..........isn't the railway junction something like 20 km out of town? I can't imagine that being very popular.

Steelcowboy
Oct 2, 2010, 8:49 PM
Oh hands down I would rather see VIA exand to regular service here in NB and NS...but just saying that NBSR (Irving) may be able to run FOOTBALL special trains. With the revival of the BUDD car (RDC). Why doesn't NB govenrment set up a running plan (itinerary) for Bathrust - Miramichi - Moncton - Saint John and other points coming from the east. Allocate 2 RDC's for the Maritime region to be used in NB and possibly 1 engine and 3 of them LRC cars for a morning train from Halifax to Moncton...departing 1800ish back to Halifax. With the growing population of NB and NS, i'm surprised there's not already a petition to get some rail service here. The CN tracks are under utilized. Maybe the use of this service will benefit the public in the winter and boast tourism between the 3 larger cities in the area. Problem is there needs to be a voice heard strongly in Ottawa...over powering the Quebec run VIA management.

mylesmalley
Oct 4, 2010, 2:25 AM
Does SJ have a passenger train station anymore?

David1gray
Oct 4, 2010, 3:50 AM
wow this is like ironic, i was just doing research on the atlantic(train that used to run from montreal to moncton via saint john). i read that the only reason this route was abandon was because of cpr selling the now nbsr(i think) and via rail wasnt allowed to run on a small independant line...or something like that. ill have to find that info again. the other was because of funding cuts. and supposedly the atlantic was one route that always managed to be full but because of goverment cuts was shut down.

here is the wikipedia descrition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Rail). has some good history in it.

MonctonRad
Oct 4, 2010, 11:18 PM
They are putting up the structural steel for the new Royal Bank branch at the corner of Gorge and Mountain Road.

Also, there is now a proper roundabout at the Ryan/Horsman intersection. All that is left to do is the paving..........

MonctonRad
Oct 5, 2010, 11:26 PM
Moncton unveils transit plan
Published Tuesday October 5th, 2010

Strategy would boost, expand Codiac Transit service, city council says
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Codiac Transit has a plan to boost bus service in Metro Moncton, with quicker and consistent arrival times, wheelchair accessible service and a tri-community committee to oversee the service and set funding levels.

"This can lead to a greatly improved system," Mayor George LeBlanc told a Moncton city council meeting last night, "the kind of system people want for the City of Moncton."

Codiac manager John Allain says the cost of improving the service would be more than $2 million, but he's confident almost all of the extra cost can be recouped through increased ridership and cuts to some runs that aren't being well used.

City council approved an action plan for the bus service last night based on the Dillon Report, which is the result of a study done on Codiac Transit that compared it with other bus services in similar-sized cities and consulted 1,500 residents. That study showed mainly that Codiac has the lowest cost per passenger of its peers, but its usage is lower; riders wanted more frequent runs, later runs and fewer transfers; and the service must be seamless between the three municipalities.

That last item could be the kicker. While Allain called it "absolutely most important" that the bus service be consistent in Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe, that could prove challenging.

For example, each municipality pays for its own bus service, with that funding dictating the level of service in that municipality. That raises the possibility that Dieppe or Riverview would see a significant hike in their bus-service bill to achieve consistency with Moncton, as some parts of those two communities don't have Sunday service, or late-night service, or any service at all, because they don't pay for it.

Allain insists better bus service, with quick, consistent bus stops and a wider area of service can be achieved and it won't cost taxpayers much.

"The Dillon Report is 100 per cent doable," he said.

The report calls for realigning the Express service on Mountain Road to stop duplication, and expanding Express service west to Costco and east into Dieppe and to the Greater Moncton International Airport.

It suggests realigning the Elmwood A route to shorten it and better serve l'Université de Moncton, possibly turning that bus run into another Express route.

All routes should converge at a single point in the downtown. Should Moncton build a new sports and entertainment centre in the downtown, that would be the ideal place for a downtown terminal, Allain suggested, to the mayor's agreement.

Full-service routes should arrive every 30 minutes until the evening, with evening and weekend run times subject to usage but not exceeding every 60 minutes.

Express runs would arrive every 15 minutes during peak times and every half-hour during off-peak times.

Buses should consistently arrive every 10, 15, 30 or 60 minutes and all routes would be monitored so that frequency could be increased on the busiest routes or busiest times.

Transfers would be good for 90 minutes, a big increase in time which would make the service more user-friendly as riders could make short trips to run errands or attend appointments and pay only one fare.

The fleet's low-floor buses would be outfitted with straps to secure wheelchairs, with all buses becoming wheelchair-accessible over time.

The Dillon surveyors were astounded to find 9,200 post-secondary students in Metro Moncton, the result of that finding being a recommendation to offer a universal pass to college and university students. That alone would boost ridership by about 900,000 per year, Allain said, pushing ridership over the 3 million mark annually.

The study suggests that any future fare hikes be tied to improvements in the service and should promote the use of passes and tickets rather than cash, which cuts costs.

An interim governance team will be established with representatives from the three communities to oversee the improvements. This is a key to the success of the changes, Allain stressed, because with three communities all essentially having their own distinct bus services, over the years duplication, extra travel time, increased need for transfers and indirect routes have all conspired to reduce the effectiveness of Codiac Transit.

That team's mandate will be to create a transit vision, set service standards, establish goals, prepare a transit route structure, suggest operating budgets for all three municipalities, set a five-year capital budget, establish an annual operating budget, set a fare structure, promote a fair share of the costs between users and taxpayers and develop a formula for splitting costs between the three communities.

Personal note:

- I am very encouraged about the idea of incorporating a downtown terminal into the proposed arena/events centre. I remember that we raised this very possibility in our discussions on this subject on our very own forum here......perhaps they read it! :haha:

- With two universities and two community colleges in town (as well as the UNB Health Sciences campus at the Moncton Hospital), it probably shouldn't be surprising that there are 9,200 post secondary students in the metro area, especially if you included both full time and part time students. If you went further and expanded Codiac Transit into a truly regional transit service, also including places like Shediac and Sackville, then you could toss in Mt. A students as well and come up with a regional total of about 12,000 post secondary students. I really think that Codiac should do this. Regional transit to Shediac would be very popular with commuters and beach goers. Regional transit to Sackville would be popular with students and would greatly improve accessibility of Mt. A to the greater Moncton community.

In any event, this seems like a well thought out report.

Although they didn't mention it in the report, the new Codiac Transit garage and depot on Millenium Blvd. is nearing completion. :tup:

MonctonRad
Oct 5, 2010, 11:32 PM
http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=597077&size=800x0
Moncton T&T

Finishing work continues on the exterior of the new Moncton courthouse