PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135

MonctonRad
Aug 9, 2023, 7:16 PM
Documents for the August PAC meeting for the city of Moncton have been released:

https://www.moncton.ca/planning-advisory-committee

Nothing too overwhelming.

MonctonRad
Aug 10, 2023, 1:36 PM
How far away is Moncton from being a '15-minute city?' We tested it
Watch how long it takes to reach daily needs without a car in a new neighbourhood

Alexandre Silberman · CBC News · Posted: Aug 10, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-15-minute-city-test-1.6931383

Answer is: It depends.

A well done piece however.

DyAm00394
Aug 29, 2023, 1:51 PM
An interesting new article from Saltwire.

"Conference Board: Moncton's cooling economic growth sustained in part by influx of immigrants

Although the pace of growth is slowing, immigration, construction, manufacturing and other sectors are helping to boost GDP as the province’s largest city tries to attract more French-speaking newcomers.

While Moncton’s economic growth rate is slowing, it’s continuing to rise and much of that increase is being driven by a flood of immigrants who want to call Canada’s only officially bilingual city home.

According to the Conference Board of Canada, Moncton’s gross domestic product is expected to climb by 1.7 per cent in 2023 and another 0.6 per cent in 2024.

The city’s favourable situation is being propelled by strong population growth, due in part to international migration, along with an uptick in construction, manufacturing, public administration and healthcare, the Conference Board stated in a news release.

GDP is a measuring stick for the monetary value of final goods and services.

While Moncton's GDP forecast represents a drop of 1.8 per cent from last year, Kevin Silliker, the city’s director of economic development, said the latest research still represents positive news for the city.

“This is about where we expected to be,” Silliker told New Canadian Media. “We know we are coming through a very intense growth period and there is always a little bit of a (drop]) afterwards but it allows a little bit of catch-up time. We don’t really consider it a downslope. It is probably more of a levelling off kind of thing.”

Based on the 2021 census, contributing countries to Moncton’s population surge include the Philippines, India, Nigeria, Syria, France, China, Morocco, Ukraine, Vietnam, and South Korea.

French immigration remains a key part of the overall strategy.

John Wishart, CEO of the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Moncton, said the bilingual nature of the area has always been a strong part of its economic growth.

“With the number of native-born French speakers dropping slightly, it puts the onus on the region to attract French speakers from other countries,” Wishart said. “Our local immigration strategy has a target of 30 per cent francophone immigration. We aren’t quite there yet but are making strides. The federal government's decision to create a centre on francophone immigration in Dieppe should help in those attraction efforts.”

In its report, the Conference Board said Canadian cities will see muted growth throughout the remainder of 2023 and into 2024 as inflation and higher interest rates persist, weighing down consumer activity.

After a weak 2022, Moncton’s labour market is forecast to gain about 1,360 jobs this year, an increase of 1.6 per cent, the board noted.

Taylor Gadde, manager of integrated communications for the Conference Board, said the organization doesn’t do reports for Fredericton, Saint John or Charlottetown and that Halifax is part of a different group which will be released in the next month or two.

According to the conference board, Moncton’s population is expected to rise 3.4 per cent in 2023, “benefiting from increased international migration,” after jumping by 6.1 per cent in 2022.

Silliker said the city’s immigration strategy calls for between 2,400 to 3,500 per year.

“We have been hitting and exceeding those targets in recent years.”

Before the population boom, Silliker said Moncton was receiving around 2,000 persons per year with that growing to as many as 8,000 before leveling to around 3,500.

In a May interview, Mayor Dawn Arnold said newcomers and students are choosing Moncton for the economic opportunities coupled with the benefit of short commute times, relatively affordable cost of living, and a welcoming and safe community.

Silliker said the city will continue to address the infrastructure needs within the community, especially related to the population growth.

“Right now, it’s tight, there is no doubt about that, but people are finding [housing] units.”

Silliker said people are adapting with two single individuals sharing a unit, instead of being on their own. Multigenerational families are also living together.

“I wouldn’t say that everything is perfect in that sphere,” Silliker said. “We still need continued housing developments and more growth. There is a lot of new construction that is happening, which is positive.”

Silliker said the city is doing some studies and bringing forward applications to other levels of government for housing opportunities and opportunities to create more housing supply in the area.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/business/regional-business/conference-board-monctons-cooling-economic-growth-sustained-in-part-by-influx-of-immigrants-100886683

MonctonianSentinel01
Sep 2, 2023, 1:14 PM
This lady has the right ideal, as I've said before that smaller cores or centers around the city rather than everything being in just one is definitely the way to go and that stopping the building out of house would impede growth to the largest demographic there is which are house owners.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/should-we-be-using-the-term-urban-sprawl/vi-AA1g8oPt?ocid=socialshare&cvid=7a55a6fffd3447c6b9dfe1080504cd81&ei=30

Realistically cities won't just be able to grow up but will still need to build out as well, creating new centers as they do. Growing while also using more dense buildings as we go and also making houses closer together like we see in this video rather than banning growth outwards.

MonctonRad
Sep 2, 2023, 2:05 PM
:previous:

Agreed. I have long been a fan of the so called "neighbourhood town centre" concept. In fact, I would go even further and suggest that "microcentres" within a 10-15 minute walk from your house is an ideal we should be striving for.

The idea of SFH monotonous tracts in the suburbs has been falling out of favour (and rightfully so). New suburban developments should be considerably denser, contain a variety of housing styles (SFH, duplexes, townhomes, small apartment buildings), and, contain retail and commercial nodes appropriate for a primarily residential neighbourhood (convenience stores, cafes, daycares, hairdressers, clinics and small commercial offices). You should be able to walk to these nodes from your house. Transit routes could be centred on these nodes and transit should be internodal, and, interconnected also to the city centre.

It would be ideal if each neighbourhood also contained recreational land and a school. The street grid should make sense (this does not absolutely preclude cul-de-sacs BTW), and, there should be dedicated bicycle trails that actually take you where you want to go. The idea is livability, walkability and decreasing your reliance on the car.

There is a lot of rhetoric and fearmongering out there regarding the concept of the "15 minute city", but these conspiracy theorists seem to feel that the evil totalitarians who meet every year in Davos want to imprison us in our homes. Nothing could be further from the truth. And, people will still require personal motor vehicles to go places not convenient for transit, and, for outings, and frequently to go back and forth to work. But, just maybe, you will only have to use your car 25% of the time rather than 100% of the time. :)

MonctonianSentinel01
Sep 2, 2023, 2:40 PM

Agreed. I have long been a fan of the so called "neighbourhood town centre" concept. In fact, I would go even further and suggest that "microcentres" within a 10-15 minute walk from your house is an ideal we should be striving for.

Thanks for commenting.

I agree with the entirety of your post but wanted to highlight this. I feel that this is the way it should go. I believe that people think that a 15 minute city means that it's anywhere in the city to the downtown core or any where's else which is ridiculous. I also think that extremists are pushing for that not knowing how foolish it is, but from your house to the nearest core rather than "the" core is how a 15 minute city should be.

MonctonRad
Sep 3, 2023, 4:53 PM

Here's a good Youtube video outlining the virtues of infill development and the creation of suburban town centres:

ehnGiygPw2k/

The video was created with California in mind, but, the principles are universal. He takes particular aim at vacant lots and underused surface parking lots, but also talks about upzoning residential areas from R1 to R2, creation of village or town centres and enhancement of transit.

His presentation is not particularly scary, and he doesn't seem to be an anti-automobile zealot. He is perhaps a little more anti parking lot than I am, but I think almost everyone can appreciate how much the ocean of surface parking in downtown Moncton has adversely affected the character of the city. :yes:

josh_cat_eyes
Sep 3, 2023, 7:33 PM
West Lethbridge is a good example of an area that is dense, walkable (they actually have sidewalks or multi-use paths on both sides of every street as far as I can tell) and has a variety of housing types along with small neighborhood retail areas. They also seem to be good at leaving extra room on their ROW’s to account for future growth.

MonctonianSentinel01
Sep 3, 2023, 7:43 PM
I think Moncton is pretty good at infilling already but of course there is always room for improvement. Old abandoned spots are usually bought up, then bulldozed/torn down and then redeveloped. There are some houses here and there but not much. More than anything there are some empty lots of grass and bush that still needs to be developed for infill projects. So over all not too bad. Now on the downtown parking though......I see that your point rings very true. Good thing that city council and private developers have made that a recent target for change, all for the better.

Monctoncore
Sep 4, 2023, 12:55 AM
Truthfully, I think it’s all about the right developer, who has an eye for that.

lirette
Sep 5, 2023, 11:11 AM

The idea of SFH monotonous tracts in the suburbs has been falling out of favour (and rightfully so). New suburban developments should be considerably denser, contain a variety of housing styles (SFH, duplexes, townhomes, small apartment buildings), and, contain retail and commercial nodes appropriate for a primarily residential neighbourhood (convenience stores, cafes, daycares, hairdressers, clinics and small commercial offices). You should be able to walk to these nodes from your house. Transit routes could be centred on these nodes and transit should be internodal, and, interconnected also to the city centre.

It would be ideal if each neighbourhood also contained recreational land and a school. The street grid should make sense (this does not absolutely preclude cul-de-sacs BTW), and, there should be dedicated bicycle trails that actually take you where you want to go. The idea is livability, walkability and decreasing your reliance on the car.

There is a lot of rhetoric and fearmongering out there regarding the concept of the "15 minute city", but these conspiracy theorists seem to feel that the evil totalitarians who meet every year in Davos want to imprison us in our homes. Nothing could be further from the truth. And, people will still require personal motor vehicles to go places not convenient for transit, and, for outings, and frequently to go back and forth to work. But, just maybe, you will only have to use your car 25% of the time rather than 100% of the time. :)

Yes I find one thing Moncton is missing is those small community/commercial areas where a neighbourhood can gather, and find its identity and the way to know how in demand these places are just look at how excited people in Riverview were when Holy Whale opened its doors on the waterfront (walkable from many areas in Riverview) or Tireshack opened on John St, or even Tide & Boar opening next to the old west end.

These examples are all breweries but they don't have to be. The North End has an excellent trail system which is used but residents every night (I'm one of them), but I find lacks a small community node of businesses to walk to. While Mountain Rd has lots of options, it doesnt have the attachment to the community necessarily, and can be abit far depending where you are located. Hopefully the Horsman Centre has some options that could fill some of this, whether it be a pub, a cafe or something else. I was abit disappointed the Thrive development didnt put in a first level retail. With proximity to the YMCA & the school plus all the of the houses in the neighbourhood I'm sure it would have worked.

MonctonRad
Sep 5, 2023, 1:12 PM
I wonder if enrollment is up at NBCC?

When I drove into work today, there was a traffic jam on Mountain Road because traffic was stalled getting into both entrances of the NBCC campus. There were also a lot more pedestrian students walking to the campus than I am used to seeing.

This could just be because of the fact this is the first day of term, but still..............

jonny golden
Sep 5, 2023, 1:33 PM
I wonder if enrollment is up at NBCC?

When I drove into work today, there was a traffic jam on Mountain Road because traffic was stalled getting into both entrances of the NBCC campus. There were also a lot more pedestrian students walking to the campus than I am used to seeing.

This could just be because of the fact this is the first day of term, but still..............

More carpenters, electricians, and plumbers starting their courses today!! We need them.

MonctonRad
Sep 5, 2023, 7:12 PM
Student overflow spills into even more portables as enrolment surges in southeast N.B.
Districts with schools in Moncton region expect 1,800 more students than last September
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Sep 05, 2023 8:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-schools-enrolment-1.6952068

The (anglophone) district will need nine new schools and is awaiting word from the province.

Seventeen new portable classrooms were being set up last week to add space at full schools (in the anglophone district) in addition to the 65 it already had.

MonctonRad
Sep 11, 2023, 2:22 PM
Moncton resident calls for reduced speed limit on neighbourhood streets
City considered idea as part of speeding strategy

Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Sep 11, 2023 8:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/speed-limit-moncton-road-safety-1.6960459

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6960467.1694180149!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/michael-roy.jpg
Michael Roy with Active Transportation Coalition Moncton is calling for the city to lower speed limits on residential streets to improve safety. (Shane Magee/CBC)

This activist is calling for speed limits on residential streets to be 30 km/hr rather than 50 km/hr.

My answer is maybe, but only if said street has no feeder or collector function whatsoever.

MonctonRad
Sep 14, 2023, 12:49 AM
Here is the agenda for the upcoming September meeting of the Moncton PAC:

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC/Sept_27_2023/1_Agenda_Ordre_du_jour_Sept_27_sept.pdf

Again, just five small sized infill projects and small residential developments.

The chill on major new projects in the city continues........

MonctonianSentinel01
Sep 14, 2023, 3:53 PM
Moncton resident calls for reduced speed limit on neighbourhood streets

This activist is calling for speed limits on residential streets to be 30 km/hr rather than 50 km/hr.

My answer is maybe, but only if said street has no feeder or collector function whatsoever.

A rather dumb ideal if you ask me. They are really trying to kill the car aren't they? I bet that if you reduce the speed limit to 30, then they are going to try and enforce that all around. Mt questions is why aren't they trying to do that now to keep city streets safe then?

This is only going to punish law abiding citizens that follow the speed limit. Those who speed are going to speed just as much no matter what the speed limit is. Have ever seen people being pulled over in Moncton for speeding? Never, on the highways maybe? That's it.

When it comes to ticking people, they don't do a very good job at it. It should be more of a focus if it's that bad then. Yet again the 1% tries to dictate to the 99%.

The problem is, is that reports and studies can be a whole lot of BS. Especially if you look at who is financing it, there usually is a agenda being pushed in favor of who is doing the spending.

MonctonRad
Sep 14, 2023, 4:32 PM
The feds are going to remove the 5% federal component of the GST from new construction of residential apartments.

This move will effectively negate the current prime lending rate.

Will this revive some of the moribund construction projects around the city???

jnaygull
Sep 15, 2023, 4:17 PM
The feds are going to remove the 5% federal component of the GST from new construction of residential apartments.

This move will effectively negate the current prime lending rate.

Will this revive some of the moribund construction projects around the city???

But does it negate inflation? It's a two-fold depression to projects of this magnitude. But, it is a great start. If the province does it's share and cuts its tax, then I think it would negate the inflationary pressures.

MonctonRad
Oct 4, 2023, 11:44 AM
Public consultation starts soon for Moncton's revamped Vision Lands plan
City, consultant updating plans for huge undeveloped area
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Oct 04, 2023 7:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-council-vision-lands-planning-1.6985631

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5467984.1696366262!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/original_1180/halls-creek-village.JPG

My own personal prediction is that in 20 years time, there will still be nothing substantive built on the Vision Lands. :(

riverviewer
Oct 4, 2023, 12:05 PM
Public consultation starts soon for Moncton's revamped Vision Lands plan

I like the idea of making a TransCanada interchange there and connecting it to Vaughn Harvey. This would spur development.

MonctonRad
Oct 4, 2023, 12:19 PM
I like the idea of making a TransCanada interchange there and connecting it to Vaughn Harvey. This would spur development.

I agree, but this would cut right through the residential neighbourhood to the north of the Moncton Hospital. In addition, MacBeath Avenue would have to be widened, and something definitive would have to be done to the parking lot at the Moncton Hospital, including a pedestrian overpass connecting a presumed parking garage to the hospital.

This would be ideal, but I can't see it ever happening.

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 4, 2023, 8:34 PM

I second this as well, I think that it's a great ideal actually! I believe that you have pointed out a chink in the armor, that Crowley Farm Road isn't a good enough access point into the area. The only other one is Leopold F. Belliveau Drive and some people might not want to drive up that far for access to the area. There was supposed to be access from Mapleton Road but that fell through. There might need to be a better way in before developers take the plunge into developing this area.

LewisVillis
Oct 5, 2023, 12:27 PM
All this talk of the Vision Lands makes me wonder if the land around the McLaughlin Reservoir will ever be 'freed' - we already have one former city reservoir, and a fine park because of it; imagine what could be done with the area. Of course we'd need a new back-up reservoir but I suspect McLaughlin is nearing its serviceable end anyway. Am I the only one who's wondered about this?

MonctonRad
Oct 5, 2023, 12:41 PM
All this talk of the Vision Lands makes me wonder if the land around the McLaughlin Reservoir will ever be 'freed' - we already have one former city reservoir, and a fine park because of it; imagine what could be done with the area. Of course we'd need a new back-up reservoir but I suspect McLaughlin is nearing its serviceable end anyway. Am I the only one who's wondered about this?

I've never thought of this, but, yes, this land could be ripe for development.

Of course, the reservoir lands commit the cardinal sin of being north of the TCH and outside the municipal service boundary. It will be decades before the city grows enough to justify expanding into this area (if ever).

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 5, 2023, 3:51 PM

I've thought of this several times as well, I'm a big map guy and looking at this one from time to time I've wondered the same thing.

https://moncton.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=abf27d871cd2495cbc659a8ce6cfb38d

I thought that development couldn't proceed but then I think I read some thing about it could as long as it was 300ft or 300m away. I tried finding more about it today, it seems like development can proceed under strict regulation, although I may be wrong. I don't think most developers would be interested for now.

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/bylaws/Municipal-Plan-By-law-Z-122.pdf

https://www.canlii.org/en/nb/laws/stat/snb-1989-c-c-6.1/latest/snb-1989-c-c-6.1.html

MonctonRad
Oct 5, 2023, 6:02 PM
The Armour family has just made a $3M donation to NBCC for their business related programs.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/resized.images.us-east-1.tj.news/1452117/desktop/wesley_armour_school_of_business_2023.jpg
T&T photo

The business school on the Moncton campus has been renamed.

https://tj.news/times-and-transcript/102177841 (paywall)

RHINO
Oct 5, 2023, 6:17 PM
Well I can see one person in the photo that's going to have a had time in the real world. Congratulations to the rest however, a great looking group from every back ground !

Monctoncore
Oct 5, 2023, 9:11 PM
They named the bridge today and some or many may disagree, but the name is horrible. The Honourable Brenda Robertson bridge… I feel like they could just call it Robertson Bridge and just put a plaque on the bridge that explains why it’s called that.

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 5, 2023, 9:31 PM
They named the bridge today and some or many may disagree, but the name is horrible. The Honourable Brenda Robertson bridge… I feel like they could just call it Robertson Bridge and just put a plaque on the bridge that explains why it’s called that.

Agreed.

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 5, 2023, 10:10 PM
I was just doing some looking around and I found an older article from CBC. It gives a possible routing for the roads that may be built in that area. Although, the map is not official, it gives us an ideal of what they may be thinking.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-council-development-charges-bylaw-growth-1.5433926

It talks about how the city could do some of the funding rather than the developers for expensive infrastructure like the bridge that will be needed to link both the east and west portions of Ivan Rand Drive. I presume that they could have used this to make the bridge over Halls Creek into the Vision Lands years ago.

drewber
Oct 5, 2023, 11:20 PM

https://i.ibb.co/4YVpkbr/489121.jpg

Delusio Cogno
Oct 6, 2023, 12:10 PM

Le pont de l'honorable Brenda Robertson bridge.

A fitting name because although she didn't span the entire gulf of Womens' equity issues she crossed a quite bit of the gap.

MonctonRad
Oct 6, 2023, 12:24 PM
Not my first choice for a name for the bridge, but, Brenda Robertson probably checks all the right boxes to be venerated in some form and thus I will not complain.

I would have preferred if they had called it the Senator Brenda Robertson Bridge. That rolls off the tongue better, but, I suppose if they had chosen that name it would have been considered a nod to her federal service rather than her provincial service.

In any event, I'm sure the bridge will be simply known as the "Brenda Robertson Bridge", or, the Causeway Bridge. I think it will take some time for that to die..............

NBNYer
Oct 6, 2023, 2:26 PM
Was the Gunningsville bridge ever given an official name? If so, I've completely forgotten.

MonctonRad
Oct 6, 2023, 2:49 PM
Was the Gunningsville bridge ever given an official name? If so, I've completely forgotten.

I believe so. In any event, it was a replacement for the original Gunningsville Bridge, and, connects to Gunningsville Blvd.

LewisVillis
Oct 6, 2023, 4:42 PM
I've thought of this several times as well, I'm a big map guy and looking at this one from time to time I've wondered the same thing.

https://moncton.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=abf27d871cd2495cbc659a8ce6cfb38d

I thought that development couldn't proceed but then I think I read some thing about it could as long as it was 300ft or 300m away. I tried finding more about it today, it seems like development can proceed under strict regulation, although I may be wrong. I don't think most developers would be interested for now.

https://www.canlii.org/en/nb/laws/stat/snb-1989-c-c-6.1/latest/snb-1989-c-c-6.1.html
Well, that map swallowed an hour of my afternoon!... I dream of a development that actually involves the reservoir.

monctonwatch
Oct 6, 2023, 7:14 PM
I remember a few years back the city had a pdf labeled future maps that had a lot of roads on it that gave a insight of future growth, I can't seem to find it any more and now they have this interactive one in place, https://open.moncton.ca/datasets/moncton::future-roads/explore

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 8, 2023, 11:59 AM
I remember a few years back the city had a pdf labeled future maps that had a lot of roads on it that gave a insight of future growth, I can't seem to find it any more and now they have this interactive one in place, https://open.moncton.ca/datasets/moncton::future-roads/explore

Sorry, I was away at work and hence the late reply. It's on page 295 of the Moncton Municipal Plan.

riverviewer
Oct 9, 2023, 11:01 AM
I agree, but this would cut right through the residential neighbourhood to the north of the Moncton Hospital. In addition, MacBeath Avenue would have to be widened, and something definitive would have to be done to the parking lot at the Moncton Hospital, including a pedestrian overpass connecting a presumed parking garage to the hospital.

This would be ideal, but I can't see it ever happening.

Ever is a long time. At some point Moncton may need highway access to the hospital and to downtown. Even if they don't build the connector now, the plan could include a green space that can be utilized as a corridor in the future.

jonny golden
Oct 11, 2023, 6:32 PM
I saw something interesting in the Moncton newspaper this morning.

A federal government advertisement for an invitation to submit an expression of interest as to the availability of space for lease in Moncton.

So I went on to the site and plugged in the file number. Here's the link to what appears to be a pending major presence by the Dept. of public works Canada in Moncton:

https://canadabuys.canada.ca/en/tender-opportunities/tender-notice/cb-742-32513705

MonctonRad
Oct 11, 2023, 6:44 PM

Very interesting. They want occupancy by 2026, for a term of 5-8 years. This sounds like primarily a warehousing/office space for Public Works Canada. I wonder what Public Works has in mind? Is there a major federal construction project upcoming in Moncton (aside from the ASEC?). The term mostly overlaps the timeframe for the ASEC construction (but not perfectly).

jonny golden
Oct 11, 2023, 7:59 PM

Very interesting. They want occupancy by 2026, for a term of 5-8 years. This sounds like primarily a warehousing/office space for Public Works Canada. I wonder what Public Works has in mind? Is there a major federal construction project upcoming in Moncton (aside from the ASEC?). The term mostly overlaps the timeframe for the ASEC construction (but not perfectly).

Very interesting indeed. We're talking about over 30,000 sq. ft. of space here.

Seems like primarily office space as it could be over multiple floors. One of the first things I thought about when I read the posting was the office building proposed for the Junction. Seems to me that the time frame would match up favourably.

MonctonRad
Oct 16, 2023, 3:11 PM
Moncton buses increasingly packed with riders as city's population surges
Peak hours now standing-room-only on many popular routes
Alexandre Silberman · CBC News · Posted: Oct 16, 2023 7:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-codiac-transpo-buses-busy-population-growth-1.6992538

Packed bus rides are getting increasingly common as New Brunswick's largest city sees unprecedented population growth. At peak travel hours, buses with 38 seats are crammed with upwards of 75 passengers on their way to work or school.

"We have some bus stops that have been in place for 20 years, and they were pretty quiet, and now we could have 15 to 16 people boarding at a bus stop that was never utilized before," she said. "The change that's happened is one or two apartment buildings have popped up on that corner."

The transit service recorded 1.28-million passenger boardings this year, Allain said, according to farebox data from the end of August. That's up 50 per cent compared to the same time in 2022.

Allain said she attributes that growth to Moncton's population boom, including an influx of newcomers to Canada and people leaving urban centres in other provinces. There's also increased enrollment at some of the city's universities and colleges.

"Many people moving here are moving from really large cities and they're very accustomed to using public transit. So it's a natural source of transportation for them to search out when they get here," she said in an interview at the bus garage.

adding more direct routes is not likely to happen in the short term.

Allain said having longer more direct routes would mean reduced frequency, based on the current number of buses and drivers available.

"We don't want passengers waiting 90 minutes for the next bus, so that's why the design is what it is today," she said.

"We could use at least five growth buses, plus we need replacement buses just to maintain the current service level."

Codiac Transpo is planning to seek funding for new buses as part of its operating budget for next year. But with supply-chain delays, Allain said it takes about a year after ordering a bus for it to arrive in Moncton.

"We also want to address the emissions that's coming out of our tailpipe, so we're looking at zero-emission buses, battery-electric, for example. So these will be big investments that Moncton's looking at for the future," she said.

OliverD
Oct 16, 2023, 5:43 PM
Meanwhile, Higgs straight up rejected federal transit funding. :rolleyes:

SevenSquared
Oct 16, 2023, 6:03 PM
What a disappointing read that article was. Doesn't sound like improvements to urban routes are coming anytime soon.

Codiac Transpo has so many routes going to deep suburban areas, some of which you rarely ever see more than 1 or 2 people on the bus at any given time.

Unlike bigger cities, people here often tend to move to the far suburbs purely as a lifestyle choice rather than an economic necessity/last resort. There isn't much (if any) cost premium attached to living near the core. So why are we not cutting back on routes no one uses, and improving frequency to the ones people clearly do use, especially areas where apartment buildings are popping up like crazy?

Until transit funding gets to a sensible first-world level, and resources can be allocated to improved service to both urban and suburban/rural areas, should we not be prioritizing areas where people have a clear willingness to use transit?

adamuptownsj
Oct 16, 2023, 6:23 PM
Perhaps Moncton wouldn't have year-long procurement cycles if they simply bought some diesel buses.

And I can only assume the strings attached to 'federal transit funding' were worse than the strings attached to infrastructure funding (IIRC, the infra funding issue was it 'must be used for new projects' instead of rehabilitation), before Higgs won that particular staring contest with the feds.

OliverD
Oct 16, 2023, 6:56 PM
Perhaps Moncton wouldn't have year-long procurement cycles if they simply bought some diesel buses.

And I can only assume the strings attached to 'federal transit funding' were worse than the strings attached to infrastructure funding (IIRC, the infra funding issue was it 'must be used for new projects' instead of rehabilitation), before Higgs won that particular staring contest with the feds.

I don't believe that was the case, this was simply to compensate transit operators for COVID-19 related losses. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-brunswick-federal-funding-transit-1.5788655

MonctonRad
Oct 17, 2023, 12:25 PM
Moncton to explore potential sites for new aquatics centre
Consultant's report finds growing city will need new indoor pool within 10 years
Shane Magee · CBC · Posted: Oct 17, 2023 8:27 AM ADT | Last Updated: 10 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-aquatics-pool-indoor-recreation-1.6997865

Moncton council took an initial step Monday toward building an indoor pool over the coming years, voting for city staff to explore potential locations and partnership models for an aquatics centre.

The Toronto firm used population, the number of existing pools in the region, as well as their use, to determine Moncton will need an aquatics centre within 10 years.

If the city's growth continues the need rises to two aquatics centres by 2046, Hack said. :eek:

The consultant's report says the city should try to partner with U de M as it considers replacing its pool in the coming years.

Not unexpected, but also not ideal. Placing the pool on the university campus does limit public access to an extent, and, whenever the city partners with UdeM, there is a well established tendency on the university's part to consider the infrastructure as "university property" once built. This has certainly been the case with the track and field stadium which is no longer even called the "Stade Moncton Stadium." The university sold the naming rights to Blue Cross, keeping the revenue, and the name of the stadium is now unilingual French. I would prefer a standalone aquatic centre elsewhere in the city.

The report also suggests the city needs another outdoor pool in the northwest. It has two municipally owned outdoor pools that open in the summer. One is in Centennial Park and the other is in the east end near downtown.

The report says the proposed pool should be larger than the east end pool, but smaller than the one in Centennial Park.

An indoor aquatic centre has long been a goal of residents of the northwest end. There was a campaign to have one included in (what became) the Moncton North YMCA, but, the city cheaped out and all we got was an indoor splash pad.

The report recommended the city consider an indoor pool as part of a regional recreation centre with other features like a walking track, field house, and community rooms.

Otherwise, it suggested an addition to an existing recreational facility like the Coliseum.

Based on expected growth and feedback from public input, the report suggested the city's north end for new aquatics facilities.

This is a little confusing since the report recommended partnering with UdeM. Are they talking about the hypothetical second indoor aquatics centre by 2046???

The report says whether as a standalone pool or as part of a broader complex, it should include up to three tanks: a 25-metre pool with six to 10 lanes with diving boards, a leisure pool that could include splash features, and a warmer therapeutic pool.

The report suggests a regional recreation centre could be in the range of 65,000 to 100,000 square feet.

It places the potential cost for facilities of that scale between $20 million to $62 million, based on estimates from other proposed facilities in Canada.

Seems reasonable. This will be a significant complex.

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2023, 1:54 PM
N.B. cities weigh bid to host 2029 Canada Summer Games
New Brunswick government has asked province's three largest cities to consider hosting
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Oct 18, 2023 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-canada-summer-games-bid-1.6998692

Saint John & Moncton are the cities most seriously considering a bid. SJ has already hosted the Canada Games. Moncton could use this event as leverage to get funding for a new aquatics centre. Could the stars be aligning???

A large Canada Games type aquatic centre could go downtown (close to hotels and amenities). Hmmmmm

NBNYer
Oct 18, 2023, 3:14 PM
A large Canada Games type aquatic centre could go downtown (close to hotels and amenities). Hmmmmm

The parking lot at the corner of Foundry and Albert would be a great location. It could be connected to the Avenir Centre plaza via a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks.

adamuptownsj
Oct 18, 2023, 3:18 PM
I'm surprised there's been almost no discussion of what to do with the current RCMP building, or the lots behind it off of Steadman South. Big site, good proximity to hotels and restaurants.

The parking lot at the corner of Foundry and Albert would be a great location. It could be connected to the Avenir Centre plaza via a pedestrian bridge or tunnel across the tracks.

I always thought this would be the ideal place for a parking garage of some stature.

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2023, 3:26 PM
I'm surprised there's been almost no discussion of what to do with the current RCMP building, or the lots behind it off of Steadman South. Big site, good proximity to hotels and restaurants

A contact of mine has told me there might be a low rise luxury apartment building here. I have heard no other feedback, and there are no renderings anywhere around.

A nice apartment building could fit in here quite nicely, but, I think this corner deserves some height (at least 10 storeys).

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2023, 3:43 PM

Good thought. You could even site it immediately adjacent to the Avenir Centre where the old telegraph building is (and adjacent Crombie lands).

Another possibility could be south of Main Street, to help sop up the oceans of surface parking down there.

There is no question however that a competition grade 50m aquatics facility with diving towers and a diving pool belongs downtown, and, not in the northwest end or on the UdeM campus. It would be a signature facility for the city, similar to the Avenir Centre. :yes:

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 18, 2023, 3:43 PM
A contact of mine has told me there might be a low rise luxury apartment building here. I have heard no other feedback, and there are no renderings anywhere around.

A nice apartment building could fit in here quite nicely, but, I think this corner deserves some height (at least 10 storeys).

Does the RCMP do anything with tomatoes? :haha:
In all seriousness, this location does deserve to have some height. I’d also like to see Main Street widened and some on street parking added along this section, at least up to the Rodd hotel. This may help the road feel more like a street and less like a stroad.

darkharbour
Oct 18, 2023, 3:52 PM
I'd be surprised if it isn't on the UdeM campus, the city is going to need their funding support to bankroll the $100 million or so that the project will likely cost.

jonny golden
Oct 18, 2023, 3:55 PM

The first thing I thought about when I read MonctonRad'spost was that large sea of asphalt on Foundry/Albert. There would have to be some major engineering work done to deal with the parking ramifications - both for the current users and potential new users.

So I can't see this lot being the location of a new aquatic center, but I really hope it gets redeveloped at some point. A large surface parking lot in this prime downtown location is highly unsuitable.

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 18, 2023, 4:07 PM
The first thing I thought about when I read MonctonRad'spost was that large sea of asphalt on Foundry/Albert. There would have to be some major engineering work done to deal with the parking ramifications - both for the current users and potential new users.

So I can't see this lot being the location of a new aquatic center, but I really hope it gets redeveloped at some point. A large surface parking lot in this prime downtown location is highly unsuitable.

It might not be the best ideal or site, but I thought that the Hal Betts sports plex could always be moved to the Emmerson Business and Technology Park next to the CN Sportsplex so that they make one big sports area, except for the corner of Millennium and Vaughn Harvey for another of those buildings. If not for this development for another large one then, right in front of the river.

I agree it should be downtown and not in the northwest and I don't support the general ideal of giving it to UdeM as they already have the CEPS that they can renovate and repair for their own use, amongst other reasons......

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2023, 8:46 PM
I'd be surprised if it isn't on the UdeM campus, the city is going to need their funding support to bankroll the $100 million or so that the project will likely cost.

I imagine you are correct. A proper 50m competition pool and diving facility with spectator seating likely would be a $100M project (almost Avenir Centre in cost and scope).

I remain convinced however that it should not go to UdeM. It should be downtown immediately adjacent or close to the Avenir Centre. This would give Moncton a powerful one-two punch in terms of being able to attract major sporting events to the core. You might even be able to justify another couple of hotels and a few more restaurants in the neighbourhood as a result.

You wouldn't get that synergy by putting it on a semi suburban university campus with no nearby amenities........ :yes:

jonny golden
Oct 18, 2023, 10:48 PM
I imagine you are correct. A proper 50m competition pool and diving facility with spectator seating likely would be a $100M project (almost Avenir Centre in cost and scope).

I remain convinced however that it should not go to UdeM. It should be downtown immediately adjacent or close to the Avenir Centre. This would give Moncton a powerful one-two punch in terms of being able to attract major sporting events to the core. You might even be able to justify another couple of hotels and a few more restaurants in the neighbourhood as a result.

You wouldn't get that synergy by putting it on a semi suburban university campus with no nearby amenities........ :yes:

What about by the four-plex rink? There's the dome and all the fields as well, so it would add to the sports focus of the area. And it's not that far from the Avenir center. There is a big chunk of undeveloped land right there.

But honestly, I would prefer it to be by the Avenir center. If that land just west would be large enough, it would be an ideal location. And it would drastically enhance the area, and likely spur more development.

jonny golden
Oct 19, 2023, 1:19 PM
Here's a recent posting on Marshall Land Systems website regarding their recently opened facility in Moncton. Several more high paying jobs added to the Moncton economy.

"This facility will help to create new employment opportunities for Moncton residents and support economic growth across the province."—Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor speaking at the grand opening for our new production facility in Moncton New Brunswick, Canada.

link: https://marshall-landsystems.com/insights-news/marshall-land-systems-up-and-running-at-new-canadian-facility

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2023, 1:31 PM

More than several jobs. I'm pretty sure they will have about 150 employees. Marshall is a defence contractor. These are well paying jobs.

jonny golden
Oct 19, 2023, 1:55 PM

More than several jobs. I'm pretty sure they will have about 150 employees. Marshall is a defence contractor. These are well paying jobs.

Here's the announcement from March of last year. At that time they said there would be 65 jobs paying $50,000. But that was a year and a half ago. I hope you're right and this enterprise expands their work force. It's a quality addition to the Moncton business community!

https://onbcanada.ca/press-releases/marshall-canada-expanding-new-brunswick/

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2023, 4:07 PM
Here's the announcement from March of last year. At that time they said there would be 65 jobs paying $50,000. But that was a year and a half ago. I hope you're right and this enterprise expands their work force. It's a quality addition to the Moncton business community!

https://onbcanada.ca/press-releases/marshall-canada-expanding-new-brunswick/

I can't find the link right now, but I'm positive either Dawn Arnold or Greg Turner on Facebook, when they went to the grand opening, posted afterward that there would be somewhere over 100 jobs at the new plant. Maybe they were wrong and deleted the post. I don't know. :shrug:

In any event, I am always pleased to see an actual manufacturing plant coming to the city. Lots of value added productivity at a facility like this. Better than trucking and warehousing IMHO.

jonny golden
Oct 19, 2023, 7:08 PM
I can't find the link right now, but I'm positive either Dawn Arnold or Greg Turner on Facebook, when they went to the grand opening, posted afterward that there would be somewhere over 100 jobs at the new plant. Maybe they were wrong and deleted the post. I don't know. :shrug:

In any event, I am always pleased to see an actual manufacturing plant coming to the city. Lots of value added productivity at a facility like this. Better than trucking and warehousing IMHO.

100 % MonctonRad. The thing about manufacturing is that Marshall might be able to secure other contracts that could be fulfilled by the Moncton location. Hopefully at some point, they'll expand their Moncton operations. Even as is, this quote from the story shows that the economic impact will be significant.

quote: Based on its hiring plans, the company will spend up to $16.25 million in new salaries and benefits in the province over the next five years, meaning up to $6.5 million in direct provincial income tax revenue. The GDP impact of this investment is estimated at more than $22 million.

OliverD
Oct 19, 2023, 7:17 PM
quote: Based on its hiring plans, the company will spend up to $16.25 million in new salaries and benefits in the province over the next five years, meaning up to $6.5 million in direct provincial income tax revenue. The GDP impact of this investment is estimated at more than $22 million.

This math makes no sense to me.

jonny golden
Oct 21, 2023, 2:35 PM
There was an interesting story in this mornings newspaper suggesting that the old Moncton High school should be used to help alleviate the serious overcrowding problems in the district.

The article stated that the school has been brought up to code with the asbestos abatement done, as well as updated mechanical systems, sprinkler system, and a new roof.

It further states that schools are being overloaded with portable classrooms, with more on back order that could take months to be delivered. Not a good situation for students and teachers. The story states that it has a negative effect on the quality of education.

It's an interesting idea, but I just don't think the government would go there.

MonctonRad
Oct 21, 2023, 2:55 PM

I agree.

Recommissioning the old MHS for reuse as a downtown high school, especially with increasing core population, just makes too much sense. The government will never do it.

The main reason why this would be beyond the pale for the NB government (Department of Education specifically) is because it would be tantamount to admitting that the government had actually made a mistake in relocating MHS out to the wilderness by the Kent County line.

Do you think the government would ever admit this??? :rolleyes:

josh_cat_eyes
Oct 21, 2023, 3:19 PM

I agree.

Recommissioning the old MHS for reuse as a downtown high school, especially with increasing core population, just makes too much sense. The government will never do it.

The main reason why this would be beyond the pale for the NB government (Department of Education specifically) is because it would be tantamount to admitting that the government had actually made a mistake in relocating MHS out to the wilderness by the Kent County line.

Can we be hopeful with an election imminent? Which government built the school out there? Would a new government make an election promise to reopen the school?

MonctonRad
Oct 21, 2023, 4:04 PM
Can we be hopeful with an election imminent? Which government built the school out there? Would a new government make an election promise to reopen the school?

I could see it becoming an election issue if interested parties decided to bring it up for debate.

riverviewer
Oct 22, 2023, 12:42 PM

I agree.

No, but they could spin it as they needed two schools, one for out-of town busses, and one for in city growth. They could spin it that Moncton High was temporarily relocated into the new facility while the old building was refitted. and they could make a show of the grand return of the Purple Knights to their ancestral home.

habs33
Oct 23, 2023, 6:37 PM
Here's video of the new Marshall Land Systems facility from Opportunités NB
https://fb.watch/nStG-KgE-Y/

habs33
Oct 24, 2023, 12:54 PM
Moncton eyes allowing 4-unit housing across city to access federal funds (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-council-housing-funding-vote-1.7005522)
Moncton is reviewing its zoning rules in order to access millions in federal housing funding, a move that could allow four-unit buildings in any residential area.

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 24, 2023, 1:35 PM
It would be nice to have more row housing rather than fourplexes IMO. I know that this is a time of need for more housing and we can't be too picky, not that I have anything against fourplexes, just don't know how a fourplex might look in a SFH neighborhood. You see them in older neighborhoods and they don't look too much out of place mixed in with single and two unit homes. I wonder if they will be allowed on any lot or just in certain areas?

Also if the provincial government wants apartment buildings to keep up with demand, maybe they just lower the taxes on them and more would be built.

Franco401
Oct 24, 2023, 2:52 PM
Also if the provincial government wants apartment buildings to keep up with demand, maybe they just lower the taxes on them and more would be built.

The landlords will just pocket the money. This should be obvious.

MonctonRad
Oct 24, 2023, 3:11 PM
The landlords will just pocket the money. This should be obvious.

Oh, ye of little faith............

By the same token, double taxation acts as a natural retardant to new apartment construction wouldn't you think???

riverviewer
Oct 24, 2023, 4:15 PM
Oh, ye of little faith............

By the same token, double taxation acts as a natural retardant to new apartment construction wouldn't you think???

It only looks double because primary residences are halved. Perhaps we can halve apartment units that are used as primary residences by tenants.

jonny golden
Oct 30, 2023, 9:25 PM
A Montreal company https://www.leyad.ca/ has purchased Wheeler Park Power Center. They're a $100 million company, who are also residential apartment owners.

Quotes from Henry Zavriyev, their owner:

“While there are currently no plans for residential projects on the site, we’re not closing any doors and remain receptive to diverse opportunities.”

“We’re elated about this investment and are on the lookout for further ventures in the region.”

Story from 91.9:

https://www.919thebend.ca/2023/10/30/wheeler-park-power-centre-acquired-by-montreal-based-company/

Riberview
Oct 30, 2023, 11:58 PM
A Montreal company https://www.leyad.ca/ has purchased Wheeler Park Power Center. They're a $100 million company, who are also residential apartment owners.

the $100million number is what they've spent on recent acquisitions.

Interesting note, Henry Zavriyev is 29 years old.

https://inspirationsnews.com/inspirations/articles/henry-zavriyev-a-young-entrepreneur-with-a-big-heart

new kid in town
Nov 1, 2023, 2:18 PM
I wonder how feasible it is to build up a mixed-use or purely residential tower here (in the old Costco building). I think even 12-15 stories would have a fantastic view since it sits atop most of Moncton in terms of elevation. And it could easily be a landmark in the area. A lot of shops are close by so it is very convenient, and there are already lots of traffic control, plus access to the highway.

I'm getting way ahead of myself here but imagine Wheler park being another focal point of highrises aside from downtown. :fireworks:

Nashe
Nov 1, 2023, 2:52 PM
I wonder how feasible it is to build up a mixed-use or purely residential tower here (in the old Costco building). I think even 12-15 stories would have a fantastic view since it sits atop most of Moncton in terms of elevation. And it could easily be a landmark in the area. A lot of shops are close by so it is very convenient, and there are already lots of traffic control, plus access to the highway.

I'm getting way ahead of myself here but imagine Wheler park being another focal point of highrises aside from downtown. :fireworks:
That's what I'm sayin' :D

jonny golden
Nov 1, 2023, 3:48 PM

The old Costco building was acquired by U-haul in April. It's their largest facility in Moncton and includes 800 storage lockers.

However, there is a massive parking lot that was appropriate for Costco, but is way too big for U-Haul. A nicely designed residential project would be a good add for Wheeler Park. I can't see the existing businesses objecting to more customers on site.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything like this happening any time soon.

josh_cat_eyes
Nov 1, 2023, 7:42 PM
The old Costco building was acquired by U-haul in April. It's their largest facility in Moncton and includes 800 storage lockers.

However, there is a massive parking lot that was appropriate for Costco, but is way too big for U-Haul. A nicely designed residential project would be a good add for Wheeler Park. I can't see the existing businesses objecting to more customers on site.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything like this happening any time soon.

I imagine they’ll eventually fill the parking lot with storage units like they did with the old Canadian Tire building.

new kid in town
Nov 4, 2023, 12:52 AM

I just saw your comment on the Moncton Downtown thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had wild thoughts about that lol.

Oh I didn't know about the U-haul acquisition :runaway:

habs33
Nov 15, 2023, 6:35 PM
New nursing home coming to Moncton
https://www.919thebend.ca/2023/11/15/new-nursing-home-coming-to-moncton/
A new 60-bed nursing home is coming to Moncton, the province announced Wednesday.

The new nursing home, set to open in the fall of 2025, will be built by for-profit corporation Shannex.

Officials said the new home will be connected to Shannex’s Ocean Hall and Gordon Hall, which opened earlier this year.

MonctonRad
Nov 15, 2023, 6:47 PM

That's their new complex up in the Pinehurst subdivision.

MonctonRad
Nov 16, 2023, 6:35 PM
Grants, roads and 'red tape' cuts part of Moncton's plan with $15M federal housing funds
City says money should result in almost 500 more housing units over 3 years

Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 16, 2023 2:18 PM AST | Last Updated: 9 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-housing-funding-plans-1.7030150

The money will be used for various grant programs for home builders, to help cover the cost of building new roads to open areas for development, and to ease the development approval process.

The city applied for the funding through the housing accelerator fund. The $4-billion program introduced in last year's federal budget runs until 2026-27 and is intended to speed housing construction across the country.

He said one grant program would provide $20,000 "per door" for up to 15 units, to a total of $300,000.

"So we think in the downtown this will accelerate up to 10 high-density projects that are currently stalled," Budd said.

The funding will also help cover the city's cost to build new roads. One area would be a street from Mountain Road near the New Brunswick Community College west into an 85-acre area where Shannex is building new nursing homes that Budd said is now "landlocked."

Another area would be a new road from Harrisville Boulevard into a neighbourhood around École Champlain.

"We think there's six or seven projects waiting for this infrastructure and it should take off," Budd said.

I wonder what "10 high density projects in the downtown" are currently stalled???

Monctoncore
Nov 16, 2023, 7:14 PM
That is interesting news. I think off the top of my head, Galco building on Robinson, St.Bernard Square, but the rest are a mystery. I don’t think those 10 would include the Ashford development or the icon development building. I hope we will start seeing some good news with this.

MonctonRad
Nov 16, 2023, 7:22 PM

There may be some medium sized "as of right" projects out there that we don't know anything about. If no variances are required, then they would not have to present anything to PAC for approval. It will be interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork.........

Conorth
Nov 17, 2023, 1:15 AM
Wonder if we can expect something similar for Dieppe and Riverview soon. Riverview had a Housing Needs survey a few months back - may or may not be related to the funding.

lirette
Nov 17, 2023, 1:27 PM
Nice to see this news.

If this is what it takes to get these projects moving than by all means, have the federal government work with cities. I really don't see how it is good politically or constructively for the province to try and get in the way and make a battle out of this. Housing is the #1 issue for many people in this country right now and this shouldn't be another partisan culture war.

In a perfect world all 3 levels of government would be working together on this but that just doesn't seem possible given Higgs choice to try and tie Holt directly with the federal liberals.

Very interested to see what 10 projects will get moved along due to this.

ChampduLarge
Nov 17, 2023, 8:22 PM
I would be very excited to see even half of ten projects get underway, I feel like 2023 has been a lot of holding our breath and waiting for the big one to be announced, but we've really only had one big proposal (the 30 story) come forward. I like Moncton the way it is, but downtown can definitely use some densification.

Conorth
Nov 19, 2023, 6:37 PM
The agenda for tomorrow’s council meeting is out. The item below is under planning matters:

Introduction: Municipal Plan and Zoning By-Law Amendments – Changing Residential Uses from Conditional to Permitted

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/councilmeetings/2023/Agenda/2023-11-20%20Agenda-Ordre%20du%20jour.pdf

I think it’s interesting because under the current zoning bylaws, all multiple units dwellings are conditional and have to go before PAC even if they’re not requesting for a variance. The only exception is for developments in the MU zone, which is not a very common zone anyway.

Townhouses are also conditional and needs PAC approval in all the residential zones, even in an R3. Always found that odd for Moncton. Understand the need to enforce some design standards and make sure they’re well integrated into the neighbourbood, but these are smaller scale developments that shouldn’t require that level of scrutiny and public hearings.

MonctonRad
Nov 19, 2023, 8:03 PM

I'm sure these changes were necessary to qualify for the $15M federal housing plan.

Conorth
Nov 22, 2023, 2:59 AM
Here’s a good summary of the discussion about the proposed changes to the zoning bylaws at the council meeting on Monday.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7034674

It seems to me that even some of the council members don’t fully understand the concept of conditional uses from their questions/comments.

MonctonRad
Nov 28, 2023, 12:36 PM
Moncton weighs how to slow traffic without a lower speed limit
City to test several measures on two streets next year
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 27, 2023 8:03 PM AST | Last Updated: November 27
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-traffic-calming-report-speed-1.7041015

Moncton's 2024 budget has $200,000 to test traffic calming measures on two streets.

On Purdy Avenue in the city's central area, proposed steps include a sign showing the driver's speed, raising the level of the intersection with Lorne Street, a painted centre line that visually narrows the lane and on-street parking separated from traffic by "vertical delineators."

On Pleasant Street in the east end, the steps planned include speed cushions or speed bumps, signs showing the driver's speed, on-street bike lanes and elevated crosswalks.

The plan is reasonable, but, I hate the idea of the "delineators." I find them ugly and annoying. You also cannot deploy them widely because they have to be installed and removed every year to allow for snow clearing. This is costly and labour intensive. The city could only use them on a few selected streets.

drewber
Nov 29, 2023, 1:11 AM
Moncton weighs how to slow traffic without a lower speed limit
City to test several measures on two streets next year
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Nov 27, 2023 8:03 PM AST | Last Updated: November 27
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/moncton-traffic-calming-report-speed-1.7041015

The plan is reasonable, but, I hate the idea of the "delineators." I find them ugly and annoying. You also cannot deploy them widely because they have to be installed and removed every year to allow for snow clearing. This is costly and labour intensive. The city could only use them on a few selected streets.

Aren't deliniators what they have on Killam now basically?

MonctonRad
Nov 29, 2023, 1:16 AM
Aren't deliniators what they have on Killam now basically?

Yes. I still find them ugly, intrusive and a nuisance. I'm also not sure how necessary they are. The bike lanes are already well marked and painted.

MonctonRad
Nov 29, 2023, 1:20 AM
I see that the Higgs government is going to spend over $100M towards construction of four new schools (including in Moncton, Dieppe and Salisbury) and major upgrades to two additional schools (including Ecole St. Henri in Moncton)

They did not specify the new school construction in Moncton, nor did they elaborate on the new Dieppe school. It will be interesting to see if the Dieppe school will be the new combined anglophone middle/high school that the Anglophone East School Board has been lobbying for.

BeeTeeOH
Nov 29, 2023, 5:51 PM
Yes. I still find them ugly, intrusive and a nuisance. I'm also not sure how necessary they are. The bike lanes are already well marked and painted.

It depends on the type of road - but in any situation with either high speeds, or storefronts, the physical barrier is necessary to keep things from mixing. Any bike lane in downtown Toronto with no bollards is inevitably filled with a delivery van.