PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

mmmatt
Aug 15, 2011, 5:45 AM
:previous:

Nice bit of detective work mmmatt, yet more evidence that the truth is out there......you just have to know how to mine the data on the WWW. :haha:

It seems to be a trend that these large distribution warehouses are either leased through a surrogate or are otherwise incognito. There is a very large refrigerated distribution facility that was built in the new section of Caledonia last year that has no signage out front. It does belong to Loblaw's, but there is no way that you would ever know this.

I wonder why this is?

Well I know a couple of them in that area handle vast quantities of drugs (legal) who don't want passers-by to know what lay inside ;)

mmmatt
Aug 15, 2011, 6:12 AM
LATE NIGHT STATS

I calculated the Building Permit values as an average over the last 4 years (2007-2010) for the 3 maritime CMAs and I threw in PEI as a bonus (similar population to Moncton...however mostly rural, so not a perfect comparison).

I then compared those average permit values to the median population estimate (July 2008) to arrive at a "dollars per person" count.

This gives us a little glimpse at how well we have been doing in general over the last few years, construction wise.

City----'07-'10 Average (M$)----"per person"

Moncton------285.3-------------2151.1
Saint John----253.9-------------2010.9
Halifax--------691.6-------------1760.6
PEI-----------202.5-------------1451.1

Now for a more current snapshot here are the latest available numbers (Jan 2011 - June 2011) compared to my estimate of current population (based on 2010 estimate data)

City--------2011 Value (M$)----"per person"

Moncton------185.5-------------1334.5
Halifax--------359.2-------------884.7
PEI-----------102.6-------------717.5
Saint John-----64.7--------------503.5

Looks like its a great year so far, lets hope we keep up the pace! :)

(All data from StatsCan of course)

mylesmalley
Aug 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
There are all kinds of reasons why a company would try to keep incognito. As mmmatt points out, they could be handling controlled goods like drugs, or things with high value which the public doesn't' really have any business knowing about. I've been told a few times the provincial government has a warehouse somewhere in Caledonia where they keep emergency supplies in case of disasters or pandemics. They could be involved in work that involves a certain degree of security, like defence contracts. Or in the case of Loblaws, where they're an entirely retail operation, at best they'd get no benefit from a big logo on the side of the building, and at worst they might confuse people wandering around the industrial park.

I've always found that funny about Caledonia though. The city's other industrial parks are all pretty run-of-the-mill. But Caledonia seems to have a knack for attracting massive buildings with secret purposes.

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner working on a tinfoil hat :cheers:

mmmatt
Aug 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
I've been told a few times the provincial government has a warehouse somewhere in Caledonia where they keep emergency supplies in case of disasters or pandemics.

That is also true, and I could tell you which building...but then I would need to carry out the dirty business of dispatching you, and nobody wants to see me do that...:haha:

Sunnybrae
Aug 15, 2011, 4:11 PM
I don't work at/for Loblaw's but what I had been told was the reason for the relocation of refridgeration was union busting. Refridgeration wanted to unionize and dry goods didn't. There was a vote and the union was narrowly defeated. To protect itself, Loblaw's closed refridgeration and moved it to another building run by another company. At least that is what I was told from a contractor working there but who know's, could be B/S.

MonctonRad
Aug 17, 2011, 4:10 PM
Abridged from today's T&T
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1432571

Moncton High repair work is on schedule
Published Wednesday August 17th, 2011
BY BRENT MAZEROLLE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

It's still the same old Moncton High, but it's looking pretty spiffy in the places that needed it.

A $2.2-million repair of the 76-year-old school is almost done and Supply and Service Minister Claude Williams said yesterday the work is on schedule to have students and staff back in the school on Sept. 6.

Williams and (Education Minister) Carr ordered the restoration and re-opening of the school in February. Moncton High will be used for the next two years until a replacement is built off Elmwood Drive in the Royal Oaks subdivision.

The old school will then be renovated and re-tasked to other uses by a private developer.

The renovation done by the Department of Supply and Services and its contractors appears to balance the need to fix problems with the need to save money, given that the repairs are meant to be temporary.

The fact is that $2.2 million really isn't a lot of money to spend on a building that big and old, so the work has tended to focus on what matters most - the quality of the air in the school.

The ventilation unit in the (arts) room is just one of 42 now installed in the building, bringing better air to every classroom and a couple of administrative areas.

Water-damaged ceiling tiles have been replaced throughout the building, but before that happened, workers investigated and repaired the causes of the water damage and tightened up the whole envelope of the building.

Despite the heavy rains the city has suffered this summer, no leaks have been seen since that work was completed. Speaking of the rains, the school now boasts eavestroughing around its entire perimeter and new drainage tile hidden beneath the grounds.

Enough work has been done that the school district has now taken over the top two floors of the school.

Work still remains to be done in the basement, but one of the biggest tasks, the inspection and repair of 108 steel columns wherever corrosion was found at their bases, has been completed. As well, new steel bracing has been installed in a few places in the school's cafeteria to bring support work up to modern codes.

The school's auditorium also has had some structural steel added to brace part of the wall at the southern face of the school, where Mountain Road passes over the railroad tracks.

A horizontal spar is visible, but two uprights have been embedded inside the walls and camouflaged in a way that blends with the rest of the brick pattern on that wall.

Thanking Williams and Carr for their efforts in addressing Moncton High's problems, Branscombe said, "it's been a collaborative effort the past few months on behalf of volunteers and staff from so many departments. And the hard work ... is going to make it possible for everyone to have a safe learning and working environment for September."

Talking about how the third floor of the school especially has gotten water-tight, cleaner and brighter, parent Anne-Marie Ford, previously a vocal critic of the school's disrepair, was enthusiastic.

"The kids are going to be very excited. It's going to be very positive for the students when they come back in here. It's really great."

Personal note - If the repairs to MHS have been so successful, one wonders if they shouldn't take their time about any decision to build a replacement facility. Rather than rushing towards a replacement at Royal Oaks in 2 years, perhaps they should fuly weigh all options including further renovations at MHS or building a new high school in the downtown core rather than on the northern periphery. :yes:

mmmatt
Aug 17, 2011, 7:13 PM
St George Blvd

The only area in the city that I felt was affected negatively by the recession (other than Mapleton Power Center), is the section of St George between Vaughn Harvey and Wheeler.

We had two large warehouses vacated by GM and Chrysler...NB Liquor moved downtown...Centennial Shakers closed...Ritchie's Carpet moved out...

However in the time since then...

- Former Chrysler Warehouse became the new showroom for local company Allsco Windows...the largest such showroom in Atlantic Canada.

- Former GM warehouse has been renovated into smaller leasable spaces...I was there yesterday and it is currently nearly full...an office for VINVOX telematics applications (their Canadian HQ apparently)...a warehouse for Loundsbury...and a large warehouse for Konica Minolta

- The former Centennial shakers was purchased and Ive been told the owner wants to build apartments/condos on the lot up against the lake

- The former Liquor store is now the home of Down East Coffee which I have heard is quite good ( I dont drink the stuff)

- The former Ritchies has been fully leased (Carey My Keys and ProCraft Industrial)

- The Westlyan Church added a massive new sanctuary which was well designed inside and out...they did some beautiful landscaping as well (stream running etc)

- Loundsbury Truck is just putting the finishing touches on a much needed exterior renovation.

- The city added some beautiful landscaping (gazebo, bike racks, brick paths etc) at the corner of 6th st and St George...to connect downtown to the centennial trail system.

So all in all I would say this area has pulled a nearly complete 180 from its low point a few years ago! :)

MonctonRad
Aug 17, 2011, 7:33 PM

Good update mmmatt, in particular I was wondering what was going on at the old GM warehouse, that's a huge building.

In other news, I see that there are now construction trailers on site at the Bella Casa condos at the Moncton G&C Club in Riverview. I assume this means that phase two of this development is now imminent. :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 18, 2011, 6:05 PM
In other news, I see that there are now construction trailers on site at the Bella Casa condos at the Moncton G&C Club in Riverview. I assume this means that phase two of this development is now imminent. :tup:

On the sign out front it says that Phase II is 30% sold...

Whatever is going on by the onramp to Wheeler from Mountain Rd. is going full steam ahead (someone said a 'retention pond' to protect from flooding), they've created a road for trucks through the trees from Ryan to get to it, and cleared a 'lot' of trees from the area...feel a bit bad for the homeowners along there that have lost their 'green buffer' in their back yards from the noise of Wheeler.

Question: Were they not supposed to do the work of the 'resurfacing' of the Causeway "at night"??? Doing this during the day and effectively handycapping one route to Riverview during rush hours is just dumb...

JL

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2011, 6:32 PM
I know there are many constraining factors when it comes to supply of materials and parts, labour etc with doing nighttime construction, but I think we're getting to the point where certain areas are going to require it, and that the 9to5 (or 7 to 7) workday just isn't going to cut it.

And it isn't just a matter of traffic. I fully appreciate that we don't have the 401 running through town. That said, situations like the reconstruction of Paul Street, Mapleton Road, Lewisville Road, Acadie Avenue, and soon the widening of Champlain Street taking months is getting a bit out of hand. Ripping up a major roadway and rebuilding it one lane at a time while it still being used at full capacity is unsafe for workers and motorists, and just completely impractical. And to be fair, traffic certainly can be a consideration. I know Paul St and Acadie both needed reconstruction, but to tear up or block off two of the busiest roads in the city for months at a time, at the same time....really?

I wonder how much faster work could be done if crews continued through the night and roads were closed in off-peak hours. Especially entirely commercial areas like Paul St, where the only stores open past 10 are McDonalds and Sports Rock. It can't be any less efficient, can it?

Anyway, end of rant.

Well actually, one other thing. The construction time of Aviation Avenue is approaching the one year mark, with no signs of finishing.

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 18, 2011, 7:23 PM
I know Paul St and Acadie both needed reconstruction, but to tear up or block off two of the busiest roads in the city for months at a time, at the same time....really?

That reminds me of another thing about the Causeway being done during the day...the other route to get to Riverview...Vaughn Harvey, is being worked on AT THE SAME TIME. That is just poor planning on someone's part, looking at a map of the city, they should be able to tell, if we tear up this road, where are people going to go to get to the same places the first road take them...it's not rocket science.

As far as working at night, it is LONG overdue in this area...they've been doing it in other provinces (Ontario for example) for decades, it does speed efficiency because there are less cars on the road, less detouring and traffic management, and a LOT fewer disgruntled drivers!

I heard it on the radio that they would be doing the work on the Causeway at night...then they were there the other morning at 9am, setting up to strip it.

Also...why do they 'strip' the ashpalt and then let it sit there grooved for a month before they pave it...can't they do both at the same time? Rip it up and put it down...

...end of rant...

JL

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2011, 7:31 PM
I've been told that that has to do with specialized crews that move around. The stripping crew moves from job to job, followed by a different paving crew. If one gets done before another, then there's a gap.

Might be way off though.

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 18, 2011, 7:43 PM
I've been told that that has to do with specialized crews that move around. The stripping crew moves from job to job, followed by a different paving crew. If one gets done before another, then there's a gap.

Might be way off though.

I agree that is the case (worked on a construction crew one summer driving equipment)...and for residential areas and parking lots that's not a big issue. But, for major arteries, it's ridiculous that you can't have your 'specialized crews' coordinated to work back to back.

JL

mylesmalley
Aug 18, 2011, 8:13 PM
I gave you a reason. I never said it was a good one :haha: :tup:

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 18, 2011, 8:18 PM
I gave you a reason. I never said it was a good one :haha: :tup:

LOL!! :tup:

MonctonRad
Aug 19, 2011, 6:40 PM
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1433191

Metro gripped by baby boom
Published Friday August 19th, 2011

The Moncton Hospital has seen birth rate increase in recent months
By Alyssa Mosher
Times & Transcript Staff

This year, the number of births has been slowly increasing since March when there were 99 births at The Moncton Hospital. In July there were 125 and as of Tuesday, there had already been 62 births in August, compared to 106 for the entire month last year.

According to LeBlanc, The Moncton Hospital has seen a 13.6 per cent increase in the number of births over the past five years.

She said an increase like this is often due to population growth, specifically with younger couples moving to Metro Moncton. With affordable housing and a sense of community, the Metro Moncton area is starting to become more and more appealing to those new families.

According to New Brunswick's annual vital statistics reports, the number of births in the province has gradually increased for the past five years, jumping from roughly 6,800 in 2005 to about 7,300 in 2009.

Birth rates in specific hospitals across the province haven't been as easily determinable, though, as LeBlanc points out with The Moncton Hospital.

But she does say, however, that July and August's birth rates at The Moncton Hospital are higher than usual this year.

She said it is typical to have months with more than 100 births, a trend since April at The Moncton Hospital, but the 125 births in July is considered "high" and LeBlanc expects August's numbers to be similar.

LeBlanc said this won't be a problem for the hospital, which recently increased its nursing numbers in order to meet the demand for deliveries.

"We feel that we can handle what is coming at our hospital and if it was more we could still handle it," LeBlanc said.

"We're quite proud of labour and delivery and our maternity and neonatal unit, actually. We have great staff and we're proud to be able to provide a service in our community."

Personal note - Interesting article....I think there are several factors in play. Certainly Moncton is attractive for young families looking for a fresh start and this would certainly boost the number of deliveries at local hospitals. Demographics may also be a factor as the second echo of the baby boom is likely in the reproductive age group at present. Finally, I do get the impression that the actual birth rate may be inching upwards. This is all good news for the economy.

TMH has about 1,200 deliveries per year. I think the GDH has about 800. As such, there are about 2,000 babies born at metro hospitals every year. Assuming an average lifespan of about 77 years, this birth rate is enough to sustain a stable population of 154,000 (not counting immigration/emigration). Since Moncton is a net beneficiary of migration, I think this points towards further growth for the city. :tup:

MonctonRad
Aug 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/newstoday/article/1433516

Mount A moves on plans for arts centre
Published Saturday August 20th, 2011

University gets go-ahead to demolish Memorial Library
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

SACKVILLE - Mount Allison University announced yesterday it would go ahead with its plan to construct a new Fine and Performing Arts Centre on the site of the campus's former Memorial Library.

The project had been put on hold since May, pending a determination of its eligibility to be designated a Provincial Heritage Place.

Trevor Holder, the minister of Wellness, Culture and Sport, has now told the university the library did not meet the standards.

"We are pleased by the government's decision," university president and vice-chancellor Dr. Robert Campbell said. "One of our over-arching priorities is to provide dynamic teaching, research, and creative spaces in a financially sustainable way and this announcement allows us to move forward in this way."

The $30-million centre has been designed to create an attention-getting presence at the north-west edge of campus.

While the project saw criticism from some, who wanted the Memorial Library preserved, it has the support of the Town of Sackville.

The plans, developed by Toronto firm Zeidler Partnership Architects, call for 50,000 square feet of new construction with specialized facilities for teaching, performance, and creative pursuits. Architectural renderings for the centre show an "echo" of the former Memorial Library, the university said in a release.

The entrance to the building will be preserved during demolition and incorporated into an amphitheatre to be located at the heart of the quadrangle formed by Centennial Hall, the Flemington building, the Bennett Building, and the new centre.

"We have spent $100 million over the last 15 years on the maintenance and renewal of our facilities and, as a result, today we enjoy one of the most beautiful campuses in Canada."

The architectural plans will now be finalized and the project presented to the Board of Regents for financial approval. It is anticipated that construction on the centre will begin in 2012 with an opening date set tentatively for 2014.

Lrdevlop
Aug 21, 2011, 1:43 AM

It's sad to see the "old" architecture go but they say the new facility is designed by Zeidler, so it should be a pretty cool building :tup:

mmmatt
Aug 21, 2011, 2:55 PM
Just checked Cadillac Fairview leasing floor plan and the former La Senza Express will be a "Jack & Jones" men's jeans store. Looked them up and they are an international brand. They currently have no stores east of Quebec! So that's a nice touch :)

MonctonRad
Aug 21, 2011, 3:16 PM

Interesting mmmatt, I kinda thought that spot was too small for the rumoured Victoria's Secret in any event.

Perhaps Victoria's Secret will move into the former Carleton Cardshop location. It's the only vacant storefront in the mall. Being a conspiracy-theorist, I have found the sudden abandonment of this storefront six months ago and the subsequent lack of development intriguing.....

My theory is that Cadillac Fairview chose not to renew the store's lease for the upcoming year because they had a hot new tenant (like Victoria's Secret) all lined up. To retaliate, Carleton decided to decamp the mall before lease expiry just to embarrass the mall with an ugly empty storefront which they couldn't do anything about until the legal expiration of the lease.

It's the only explanation as far as I'm concerned. :yes:

---------------------------------------------------------------

To expound on Jack & Jones -

The website is http://www.jackjones.com/

It appears that this is a European chain (like H&M). This will be their first Canadian store outside Ontario and Quebec.

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 21, 2011, 4:17 PM
Nice to see a 'mens' store move into the mall for a change... :P

Don't you find that the new La Senza store looks a LOT like a Victoria Secret store already? It's almost identical to the colors and styling of the VS store in Bangor.

JL

MonctonRad
Aug 21, 2011, 4:34 PM
Nice to see a 'mens' store move into the mall for a change... :P

Don't you find that the new La Senza store looks a LOT like a Victoria Secret store already? It's almost identical to the colors and styling of the VS store in Bangor.

JL

Interesting.......

I haven't been to Bangor Mall in a while but you are likely correct. La Senza was bought out and is now a subsidiary of VS.

To my understanding, VS plans to operate La Senza as a separate unit, but still open stores under their own banner in Canada anyway - much the same as Best Buy and Future Shop. I was under the impression that VS still plans to open their own store at the mall anyway, but perhaps I'm wrong. It does occasionally happen. :haha:

JHikka
Aug 21, 2011, 4:36 PM
To my understanding, VS plans to operate La Senza as a separate unit, but still open stores under their own banner in Canada anyway - much the same as Best Buy and Future Shop. I was under the impression that VS still plans to open their own store at the mall anyway, but perhaps I'm wrong. It does occasionally happen. :haha:

I was under the impression that VS were to be opening their own stores throughout the Maritimes. If LS is a subsidiary, though, that changes things a bit.

Not that it's a big deal to me or anything. :haha:

Dmajackson
Aug 22, 2011, 6:25 PM
I was in Moncton twice over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised to see some strong growth in the area. The amount of sprawl for the small city is worrisome but it would be hard to control with the relatively easy geography and efficient road system.

I was pleased to see a construction crane on Champlain in Dieppe though and the new casino looks great. It makes the suburban area around it appear denser and marks the ever-so-important Mountain Road district clearly.

One thing I'm wondering is about Wheeler Boulevard. Does the city have plans to upgrade the Lewisville intersection or will it remain a death-trap on another wise safe road?

Keep up the good work! Hopefully the continued strong growth in our cities will trigger some improvements in the area between us! I'd love to see Amherst and Truro grow into cities. :)

:cheers:

DJ

JHikka
Aug 22, 2011, 7:10 PM
I'd love to see Amherst and Truro grow into cities. :)

Couldn't agree more. The smaller centres in between the larger ones are just as crucial in terms of growth and development. I'm excited for Amherst & Truro as I am for Moncton & Halifax. I'm hoping Moncton can continue its' upward growth and continue to provide more to NB and the Maritimes as a whole.

Along with the Truro & Amherst hope, i'm looking forward to the same sort of upward progression in Sussex as well.

mylesmalley
Aug 22, 2011, 7:27 PM
I was in Moncton twice over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised to see some strong growth in the area. The amount of sprawl for the small city is worrisome but it would be hard to control with the relatively easy geography and efficient road system.

I was pleased to see a construction crane on Champlain in Dieppe though and the new casino looks great. It makes the suburban area around it appear denser and marks the ever-so-important Mountain Road district clearly.

One thing I'm wondering is about Wheeler Boulevard. Does the city have plans to upgrade the Lewisville intersection or will it remain a death-trap on another wise safe road?

Keep up the good work! Hopefully the continued strong growth in our cities will trigger some improvements in the area between us! I'd love to see Amherst and Truro grow into cities. :)

:cheers:

DJ

Two problems with that intersection. Well, three actually.

First, the reason that intersection is there is because of the CN mainline which runs over it. Any realignment would require replacing those tracks, and that would be an engineering and planning nightmare.

Second, The whole shebang is adjacent to a wetland. It'd be very complicated and environmentally probably quite difficult to replace it without causing too much damage.

Third, the province is quite thoroughly broke. We don't even have a full interchange into the airport. A city street like that won't get any attention for a while. That said, Saint John got their 1 Mile House project, so who knows. The traffic there is getting excessive though. And it completely defeats the purpose of having a divided highway when you have to wait through at least one traffic light from 7am to 7pm.

JHikka
Aug 22, 2011, 7:47 PM
That said, Irving Oil got their 1 Mile House project, so who knows.

Fixed that for ya :tup:

MonctonRad
Aug 22, 2011, 7:51 PM
Couldn't agree more. The smaller centres in between the larger ones are just as crucial in terms of growth and development. I'm excited for Amherst & Truro as I am for Moncton & Halifax. I'm hoping Moncton can continue its' upward growth and continue to provide more to NB and the Maritimes as a whole.

Along with the Truro & Amherst hope, i'm looking forward to the same sort of upward progression in Sussex as well.

Sussex appears to be on a roll with potash and natural gas so I don't think you have to worry there. :)

I agree with everything you have said. The economic future of the Maritimes rests on the growth corridor extending from Halifax to Truro, Amherst, Sackville, Moncton, Sussex, Saint John and on to the US border at Saint Stephen.

This is where future growth will (and should) occur. It's the same as with growth corridors anywhere else in the world. You have to build on your economic (and geographic) strengths.....

That's why we should all be rejoicing in each others successes, rather than bickering over who got what......

You build prosperity through strength as a whole. No one city can do it all. :tup:

David1gray
Aug 22, 2011, 8:16 PM
We may not necessarily be part of the corridor, but Northeastern NS also could be in for some growth as well. With the potential for 2 container ports will hopefully come upgrades to our highways and railway. Antigonish, and New Glasgow are both already growing quite well from what I see around lately. If NS gets the shipbuilding contract I would expect to see some more steady growth for years to come.

like MonctonRad just said:

That's why we should all be rejoicing in each others successes, rather than bickering over who got what......

You build prosperity through strength as a whole. No one city can do it all.

MonctonRad
Aug 23, 2011, 12:01 AM
This is the state of current construction of the new Moncton North Swiss Chalet near the corner of Mountain Road and Evergreen Drive:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/84f80430.jpg

And right next door (between the Swiss Chalet and Barnaby's furniture store), is this sign advertising leasing opportunities in a yet-to-be-constructed retail plaza.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20Construction%202011/bb1e6150.jpg

if this plaza gets built, then the whole north side of Mountain Road between Gorge Road and Meadowdale Drive will be developed.

mylesmalley
Aug 23, 2011, 12:12 AM
That's got to be what, the tenth strip mall along Mountain between Trinity and Gorge?

mmmatt
Aug 23, 2011, 11:30 PM
Couple updates:

The new bank on east main st now has some steel up and I have to say I am happy about this development. I was skeptical at first but this building has a small setback (much smaller than surrounding buildings)...takes up most of its lot space...and it will provide a nice entrance to the downtown area after the creek bridge. All in all I am pleasantly surprised so far...heres hoping the exterior building features are up to par.

On an unrelated (but nearby) note I finally took the time to figure out the new GLA of the mall...I did this by finding the last posted info by Cadillac Fairview in 2008 of 816,000 sq ft. Then I found the floor space of the former Future Shop by digging through Wiki history (I know the number is true because all others match the current floor plan). Then I subtracted the FS space from the combined space of Linen Chest and Urban Planet...This left me with a difference of 4,908 sq ft...THUS making the new GLA of the mall 820,908 sq ft

I updated Wiki and Im proud to say that it has passed Upper Canada Mall in
Newmarket, Ontario to become the 42nd largest mall in Canada!! woohoo! :tup:

MonctonRad
Aug 24, 2011, 12:58 AM

Only #42? :(

EDIT - I just checked the list. We may be #42, but Champlain is still the largest mall in Atlantic Canada. MicMac Mall in Halifax is the second largest but is #65 on the list. :)

mmmatt
Aug 24, 2011, 10:55 AM

Only #42? :(

EDIT - I just checked the list. We may be #42, but Champlain is still the largest mall in Atlantic Canada. MicMac Mall in Halifax is the second largest but is #65 on the list. :)

42 may sound low but just think...the Toronto area alone has around 10 or more that are larger...Calgary and Edmonton have a few Vancouver has a few and so on.

Once you factor out all the huge cities we would probably be quite high on the list.

MonctonRad
Aug 24, 2011, 1:05 PM
There is a notice in the T&T today for an amendment to a zoning bylaw allowing for construction of a seven storey 52 unit residential building with ground floor retail and underground parking at 100/108 Archibald Street.

This is on the west side of Archibald, on the block just south of St. George St.

This is for Killam Properties and given the fact that this building is to be seven stories, I presume this means steel and concrete construction...

:banana::banana::banana:

mylesmalley
Aug 24, 2011, 1:46 PM
This is outstanding news, but I wonder where exactly it's going. I looked at getting an apartment in their building right next to that address and there was no indication that it was going to be demolished and replaced. It's a relatively new building at any rate. That building's parking is along Archibald as well, without underground. I can't see them building in the parking lot because it would require building a doubly-large underground garage. Further down that block are a few houses and businesses, so it might go there. But the most likely spot would seem to be right up at the corner of St George and Archibald.

It has been a long time coming, but maybe, just maybe, downtown Moncton is actually starting to build up! There's been a steady flow of infill housing projects in the Gordon St/St George St areas. And there aren't a whole lot of vacant lots left north of Main. We might not have our Rocca condos yet, but things are picking up!

David_99
Aug 24, 2011, 3:55 PM
42 may sound low but just think...the Toronto area alone has around 10 or more that are larger...Calgary and Edmonton have a few Vancouver has a few and so on.

Once you factor out all the huge cities we would probably be quite high on the list.

42's also pretty good considering it's only one floor. I'm sure most of the malls on that list are multi-storied. Under the streets of Vancouver is a 2-3 story mall that connects to several other large malls above ground. I remember ending up in a department store looking for PJs for my wife. It wasn't until the 6th floor of that one store that I found them and I don't even remember the name of the place.

David_99
Aug 24, 2011, 4:08 PM
But the most likely spot would seem to be right up at the corner of St George and Archibald.

It has to be. I could see them demolishing the white apartment and taking over the parking lot. Like you said, the whole area is already surrounded by "newer" apartments.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9096/archibald.jpg

JasonL-Moncton
Aug 24, 2011, 5:05 PM
I heard on the weekend that Notre Dame Pizza is opening a shop on West Main...no other details yet. :)

JL

mmmatt
Aug 24, 2011, 11:05 PM
WOW!! this building is great news...I hope that it is built on the lot that David suggests...as a 7 level building would add SIGNIFICANT street presence and density to St George. Which is really on the up and up lately.

This only makes me all the more annoyed that the city has yet to remove the hideous power lines from this street...I see this as one of the biggest blights in the downtown area...its really hard to appreciate the beauty of the area (cathedral, old fire station etc) with gross old wood power poles leaning this way and that with wires strewn about like cobwebs...maybe its just the photographer in me but it bothers me a lot!

In any event this area of archibald st is quite built up at this point and this will serve to add another layer to an already great cake!

Hopefully we see some renders soon! :D

MonctonRad
Aug 25, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm sure the new building will be built on the parking lot that David indicated. It will however not include the white building on the corner of Archibald and St. George. The notice in the paper included a small map showing that the building lot does not front on St. George.

I agree with Myles, I think that downtown Moncton (especially between Main and St. George) is turning the corner. The central and western portions of this section of downtown are starting to densify. The lands south of Main remain problematic but I foresee good things once the Events Centre is announced....

JHikka
Aug 25, 2011, 12:39 AM
I agree with Myles, I think that downtown Moncton (especially between Main and St. George) is turning the corner. The central and western portions of this section of downtown are starting to densify. The lands south of Main remain problematic but I foresee good things once the Events Centre is announced....

Agreed. I think the priority right now (given my less-than-impressive knowledge of Moncton) would be to densify the area surrounded by Vaughan Harvey, Main & Mountain, and do as much with that as possible, before moving on. I was on St. George recently and it does seem a lot denser, as does that area of Moncton as a whole. The surface area parking is an obvious problem mentioned here multiple times, but that's a progressive fix that will (should) occur over time.

I'm still under the feeling that if the Events Centre/Arena is not built at Highfield it will be a massive letdown.

pierremoncton
Aug 25, 2011, 3:30 PM
Regarding the Archibald/St George building: This is where there had been protests to save two oak trees that the developer wanted to cut down. They might have decided to move the building south a bit to prevent further protests, because those trees are at 112-118 (from what I can tell from GeoNB maps), not 100-108.

Article: http://www.news919.com/news/local/article/123098--citizens-help-save-downtown-trees

MonctonRad, you'd actually reported on it! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5039468&postcount=7747

pierremoncton
Aug 25, 2011, 3:51 PM
I tried to dig up some more info on the Archibald building, and this is all I found:

Published by the T&T on Aug 24 (I don't think it was posted here):

A proposed seven-storey, 52-unit residential/retail project on Moncton's Archibald Street, complete with underground parking, will be on the agenda of the August meeting of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission taking place today at Moncton City Hall at 5:30 p.m.

The commission is being asked by the city for its views on an application on behalf of Killam Property Inc. to rezone 108 Archibald and part of 100 Archibald St. from Urban Residential to Secondary Business District to allow construction of the building.

The city has scheduled a public hearing for Sept. 19 to hear any objections to the proposal.
Source: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/rss/article/1434253

Also, the architect is GENIVAR according to the GMPDC minutes (http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/768.pdf), but there's nothing on their website in reference to this property.

Phil_5
Aug 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
Here is an interesting find. While going to work this evening I passed by this sign. It appears to be a rendering of what will be NEW condos near the Irving in Dieppe. Actually it is the location of the old primrose trailer-park that was removed not too long ago.

This is the Irving on the corner of Acadie and Chartersville

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6081002386_b2f245bc00.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6081002386/)
Condos in Dieppe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6081002386/) by Phil_5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/phil_5/), on Flickr

:)

mylesmalley
Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm assuming you mean the Irving by the old airport terminal?

EDIT - Forgot about the one on Acadie Ave.

Lrdevlop
Aug 25, 2011, 10:48 PM
I just read in the french newspaper "L'Étoile" that a new african/cajun restaurant should open just beside Red Satay on St George... The only problem is they're having a hard time with getting their renovation permit... :slob:

BlackYear
Aug 26, 2011, 12:40 AM
A proposed seven-storey, 52-unit residential/retail project on Moncton's Archibald Street, complete with underground parking, will be on the agenda of the August meeting of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission taking place today at Moncton City Hall at 5:30 p.m.

The commission is being asked by the city for its views on an application on behalf of Killam Property Inc. to rezone 108 Archibald and part of 100 Archibald St. from Urban Residential to Secondary Business District to allow construction of the building.

The city has scheduled a public hearing for Sept. 19 to hear any objections to the proposal.

That's huge! The Commerce House building at the corner is only 5 stories. The surrounding apartments are only 4 stories, and the corner brick building where a coffee shop, clothing store and former Crazy Mango, is currently going through some major internal renovations on the top floors including former Mango.

Killiam Property Inc also built the newly 5 story building at the corner of Mt-Rd & High street. I don't think there's one piece of wood in that building. All steel, mortar, aluminum building.
http://www.killamproperties.com/apartments-view/?do-load=1&building.id=2235

If that project gets the ok, that's going to be huge for the downtown area, especially St-George street.

:banana:

pierremoncton
Aug 26, 2011, 12:47 AM
The surrounding apartments are only 4 stories, and the corner brick building where a coffee shop, clothing store and former Crazy Mango, is currently going through some major internal renovations on the top floors including former Mango.

The top floors are being converted into condos. MLS has had 6 condo units listed at that address for a while (probably around a year now) with a completion date of "Spring 2011".

Lrdevlop
Aug 26, 2011, 12:39 PM
Article from today's T&T

Mapleton retail projects proceed
Published Friday August 26th, 2011

Planning commission approves land changes for Mapleton Fashion Centre
A1
BY ALLISON TOOGOOD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Final plans for the Mapleton Fashion Centre retail development are becoming clearer as the Greater Moncton District Planning Commission heard and recommended a few new changes this week.

Final plans for the Mapleton Fashion Centre, currently under construction, are becoming clearer as the Greater Moncton District Planning Commission heard and recommended a few new changes this week.
The commission first heard the plans to make Creek Street a public roadway and future entrance to the Vision Lands subdivision in Hall's Creek. This change also included a land exchange so that an adjustment could be made for a future bike trail through the subdivision, already a part of the City of Moncton's active transportation plan.

Bill Budd, executive director of the commission, said that the pathway for Creek Street, off Mapleton Road, is already visible.

"When you drive down Mapleton, you'll notice a right-in and a right-out," said Budd. "The public street will be really good once the Hall's Creek area begins to build up."

Budd anticipates that upon the approval of city council, the construction should begin next spring.

The second change is a rezoning of the fourth and final parcel of Mapleton Centre land, which is currently designated as R2 (two-unit dwelling). The first three parcels were rezoned to suburban commercial earlier this summer to accommodate the first phase of the commercial development.

Budd said that there's great interest in the centre and another major retailer, which the city cannot yet officially announce, wishes to establish itself on the fourth parcel, the far eastern side of the site.

"They want that specific space to build an outlet store," he said. "It's already gone through a review and it's our understanding that these plans should proceed within the next three months."

A public hearing on both matters is scheduled for Sept. 6 at the next regular city council meeting. The developer, Patrick Gillespie, will be present to hear any questions or concerns. Budd said council should be on board with the changes, as they have been with this project in the past.

"They're eager to get started."

MonctonRad
Aug 26, 2011, 10:14 PM
The commission heard the plans to make Creek Street a public roadway and future entrance to the Vision Lands subdivision in Hall's Creek. This change also included a land exchange so that an adjustment could be made for a future bike trail through the subdivision, already a part of the City of Moncton's active transportation plan.

Bill Budd, executive director of the commission, said that the pathway for Creek Street, off Mapleton Road, is already visible.

"When you drive down Mapleton, you'll notice a right-in and a right-out," said Budd. "The public street will be really good once the Hall's Creek area begins to build up."

Budd anticipates that upon the approval of city council, the construction should begin next spring.

I presume Creek Street is the continuation of Frampton Lane on the east side of Mapleton Road. The development of Creek Street next year will be the single most important step the city will make for the future viability of the whole "vision lands" property...... :tup:

The second change is a rezoning of the fourth and final parcel of Mapleton Centre land, which is currently designated as R2 (two-unit dwelling). The first three parcels were rezoned to suburban commercial earlier this summer to accommodate the first phase of the commercial development.

Budd said that there's great interest in the centre and another major retailer, which the city cannot yet officially announce, wishes to establish itself on the fourth parcel, the far eastern side of the site.

"They want that specific space to build an outlet store," he said. "It's already gone through a review and it's our understanding that these plans should proceed within the next three months."

A public hearing on both matters is scheduled for Sept. 6 at the next regular city council meeting. The developer, Patrick Gillespie, will be present to hear any questions or concerns. Budd said council should be on board with the changes, as they have been with this project in the past.

"They're eager to get started."

It's interesting that this "mystery retailer" with the outlet store wants to be established on the far east of the Mapleton Power Centre property. It's the furthest away from the entrance to the development. The only reason why they would want to do this that I can think of is that it would have the greatest visibility from Wheeler Boulevard.

I wonder who this is? :cool:

mmmatt
Aug 27, 2011, 12:17 AM
Killiam Property Inc also built the newly 5 story building at the corner of Mt-Rd & High street.

*6 story* :P And thats good news I didnt know that Killam was responsible for that building...probably one of the best built in that area in a while... :)

Here is an interesting find. While going to work this evening I passed by this sign. It appears to be a rendering of what will be NEW condos near the Irving in Dieppe. Actually it is the location of the old primrose trailer-park that was removed not too long ago.

This is the Irving on the corner of Acadie and Chartersville

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6081002386_b2f245bc00.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6081002386/)
Condos in Dieppe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_5/6081002386/) by Phil_5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/phil_5/), on Flickr

:)

Great find! this is great news...we need to get the area more used to the idea of Condos...currently we don't have many but this new one, plus Royal Oaks Condos, Bella Casa, and the possible new East Main Condos will surely start us off in the right direction...

porchmouse
Aug 28, 2011, 3:23 AM
I'm not sure if this has been noted or not. I was down on Main Street mid-Friday afternoon and was disappointed to find Candy Chameleon closed. When I looked closer, it looked as though the location was now empty. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it's a shame that another local business has become a victim of Main Street.

Lrdevlop
Aug 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure if this has been noted or not. I was down on Main Street mid-Friday afternoon and was disappointed to find Candy Chameleon closed. When I looked closer, it looked as though the location was now empty. Can anyone confirm this? If so, it's a shame that another local business has become a victim of Main Street.

I really hope they did not close!!! But I know they're closed after 5pm on weekdays and closed on Sunday but as of friday... no idea.

MonctonRad
Aug 29, 2011, 3:24 PM
Dalhousie Medicine N.B. unveils Moncton location
Published Monday August 29th, 2011

New site, with video conference equipment, will help recruit and retain doctors
by jacques gallant
Times & Transcript Staff

Beginning in the fall of 2012, The Moncton Hospital will begin welcoming students at its new Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick clinical site, which was unveiled to the public on Friday.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=703014&size=400x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
Jeffrey Wagner from Moncton is in his second year of medical school and will benefit from the new program. He sits here in the state-of-the-art teleconferencing room.

The addition of Moncton, Fredrericton, and Miramichi to DMNB's Distributed Education Program, which already includes Saint John, was widely praised yesterday as a way to help future New Brunswick physicians understand the environment they may one day be working in.

"We are pleased to provide New Brunswickers with the opportunity to undertake their medical studies and participate in internships in their home province," said Health Minister Madeleine Dube at Friday's opening. "This will ensure our future doctors will have a deep understanding of the specific needs of our communities."

DMNB is a partnership between Dalhousie's Faculty of Medicine, the University of New Brunswick, Horizon Health Network, and the Government of New Brunswick, allowing New Brunswickers to attend medical school in their own province, similarly to the partnership between Université de Moncton, Université de Sherbrooke, and the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre.

The Moncton Hospital's DMNB program will be under the direction of neonatologist and pediatrician Dr. Marc Blayney, who has spent many years in the field of medical education, including as a clerkship director at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario. Blayney will be responsible for implementing the curriculum and ensuring that the proper resources are in place.

Blayney was congratulated on his new position by Horizon Health Network's president and CEO Donald J. Peters, who said that the new DMNB will further enhance The Moncton Hospital's Northumberland Centre for Medical Education and Research, noting that "through this enhancement, our patients will continue to receive the best possible care as well as help us retain and recruit physicians to our province."

The new site, located within The Moncton Hospital, includes four rooms that will be used by medical learners at The Moncton Hospital. Two of the rooms are equipped with state-of-the-art high definition video conference technology. The equipment will allow students to interact with their classmates in facilities throughout the Maritimes.

"The opening of these Moncton facilities is another step forward in ensuring DMNB is truly a provincially distributed program," said Dr. John Steeves, associate dean of DMNB. "Well designed clinical teaching sites are critical elements in providing educational opportunities for our medical students and practicing physicians. These facilities will help recruit and retain doctors to the DMNB program and to the province."

DMNB admits 30 students to its program each year. Students attend classes for their first two years in Saint John, and in their final two years, they have the option of completing clerkships in either Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, or Miramichi.

personal note - the Moncton Hospital already offers two year family practice residencies in the Northumberland Family Medicine Program affiliated with Dalhousie University. We also get visiting specialty residents fairly frequently too. With the addition of third and fourth year clinical clerks to the mix, there should be a total of over 30 medical students and residents based at the Moncton Hospital at any one time.

This is a large step forwards in the history of the Moncton Hospital as a teaching hospital. :tup:

mmmatt
Aug 30, 2011, 1:39 AM
^ Nice!

We are building up quite the medical education hub here...

- UNB (Dalhousie) @ Moncton Hospital - Physician
- UdeM (UofSherbrooke) @ George Dumont - Physician
- UNB @ Moncton Hospital - Registered Nurse, X-Ray Technologist
- NBCC Moncton - Liscenced Practical Nurse, Personal Support Worker, Ward Clerk
- Atlantic Paramedic Academy - Paremedic
- Oulton College - Dental Assistant, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Assistant, Medical Office Administrators, Pharmacy Technician, Veterinary Technician
- Eastern College - Personal Support Worker

NBCC Dieppe has a few as well but I cant translate haha

MonctonRad
Aug 30, 2011, 3:27 AM

All very true, but to clarify a bit:

- you can't do your full MD degree in Moncton with the Dalhousie NB program; you still have to do your first two years at UNBSJ. You could concievably spend the next four years at TMH however (last two years of med school and your two year family practice residency).

- the francophone system is more evolved. You can get your full MD degree at U de M via the Sherbrooke program.

- you mentioned the UNB programs in nursing and medical x-ray technology at the UNB(Moncton) campus at TMH. You neglected however to mention that there are also nursing and x-ray technology programs at U de M as well.

But yes, the healthcare education options in greater Moncton are becoming quite comprehensive. I hold out great hopes that there will eventually be more specialty medical residents coming to Moncton as well. I can speak from experience that we have high quality medical care facilities in Moncton, and short of cardiothoracic surgery, that we are just about as comprehensive as Halifax.

MonctonRad
Aug 30, 2011, 2:45 PM
As previously rumoured in this forum:

Champlain Place to refurbish parking lot
Published Tuesday August 30th, 2011
Times & Transcript staff
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1435797

The Champlain Place shopping centre is about to launch a multi-million-dollar paving project to refurbish 80 per cent of the mall's parking lot by the end of October.

Champlain Place and Crystal Palace Complex general manager Brian MacMullin said the work will have to be done in phases, closing off sections of the huge parking area as they are resurfaced.

The mall administration will advise what sections of the parking lot are being worked on.

It's a $3-million project which should get underway today, he said yesterday. The parking lot has about 3,000 parking spaces with the work to include repainting lines for spaces. There was no word if the configuration of the parking lot will be changed or remain the same.

The project is in response to customer surveys that listed the parking lot as a major issue, he said.

It's an extensive project that will make for much smoother driving for customers to the mall, the province's largest retail centre. It will fit in nicely with mall renovations conducted in 2008 and with the completion of the widening of Paul Street and the new entrance to the mall, he said.

The first section scheduled for reconstruction is an area west facing Wheeler Boulevard traffic circle.

The mall, owned by Cadillac Fairview Corporation, was opened in 1974 and has more than 150 stores and services.

personal note - If they are going to repave 80% of the parking lot, why not just go ahead and repave the whole friggin' thing!! :koko:

emad
Aug 30, 2011, 4:02 PM
As previously rumoured in this forum:

Champlain Place to refurbish parking lot
Published Tuesday August 30th, 2011
Times & Transcript staff
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1435797

The Champlain Place shopping centre is about to launch a multi-million-dollar paving project to refurbish 80 per cent of the mall's parking lot by the end of October.

Champlain Place and Crystal Palace Complex general manager Brian MacMullin said the work will have to be done in phases, closing off sections of the huge parking area as they are resurfaced.

The mall administration will advise what sections of the parking lot are being worked on.

It's a $3-million project which should get underway today, he said yesterday. The parking lot has about 3,000 parking spaces with the work to include repainting lines for spaces. There was no word if the configuration of the parking lot will be changed or remain the same.

The project is in response to customer surveys that listed the parking lot as a major issue, he said.

It's an extensive project that will make for much smoother driving for customers to the mall, the province's largest retail centre. It will fit in nicely with mall renovations conducted in 2008 and with the completion of the widening of Paul Street and the new entrance to the mall, he said.

The first section scheduled for reconstruction is an area west facing Wheeler Boulevard traffic circle.

The mall, owned by Cadillac Fairview Corporation, was opened in 1974 and has more than 150 stores and services.

personal note - If they are going to repave 80% of the parking lot, why not just go ahead and repave the whole friggin' thing!! :koko:

To save $750k maybe!?:shrug:

Taeolas
Aug 30, 2011, 4:26 PM
Maybe the 20% not being done is 20% that's being eaten up by the expansion/ Crystal Palace link?

More likely it was a section that was done sometime recently (for various definitions of 'recently') and they don't feel it needs to be redone at this time... even though it'll probably look like crap compared to the redone sections once everything is done.

mylesmalley
Aug 30, 2011, 6:12 PM
The part they're starting with, as per the article, is the area closest to the traffic circle anyway. If memory serves, the area around Sears isn't too bad.

mmmatt
Aug 30, 2011, 8:51 PM
Maybe the 20% not being done is 20% that's being eaten up by the expansion/ Crystal Palace link?

What I wouldn't give for that!! Hopefully someday!

My perfect vision of the complex would be the two buildings connected by a new mall expansion. And a connected parking garage as well...Another restaurant would be great as well...Jack Astors or something would be perfect...

Plus Crystal Palace could expand to include a state of the art indoor go-kart track (I still have people ask about MX Karting, which sadly was a great concept that fell down due to mis-management)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/17/article-1287433-0A138F1C000005DC-324_634x344.jpg
source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287433/Weston-super-pier-open-July-multimillion-pound-makeover.html)

A couple more "signature" rides like the "swings" and roller coaster to attract a slightly older demographic (14 and up)...maybe something like the Freak Out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_Out_%28ride%29) ride they have at the lobster festival now.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2809486496_219fe65617.jpg
source (http://www.flickr.com/photos/21684795@N05/2809486496/)

mmmatt
Aug 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
Valmond Robichauld apartments on Gordon (from T&T):

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=702895&size=800x0
source (http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com/transcript/article/1435284)

pierremoncton
Sep 1, 2011, 1:50 AM
Here's a list of the most significant ongoing low/mid-rise projects around Moncton that I'm aware of. Anything else to add?

Community Peace Centre (Church St) - 4 storeys - under construction (topped out)
Robichaud apartments (Dominion St @ Gordon St) - (2) 4 storeys - under construction
Killam apartments (Archibald St @ St George St) - 7 storeys - proposed (approval pending)
Downtown offices (Assomption Blvd @ Vaughan Harvey Blvd) - 6 storeys - proposed (approved?)
Dieppe apartments (Gauvin Rd) - 6 storeys - under construction
East Main St condos - 6-12 storeys - proposed (6-7 storeys based on original T&T article from 2008; up to 12 storeys based on renders from A2000)
Mountain Rd-Robinson St apartments - 4 storeys - proposed (approved?)
Capitol Theatre mixed-use building - 6-7 storeys - proposed

MonctonRad
Sep 1, 2011, 3:15 AM

- Bella Casa condos phase 2 is u/c in Riverview
- there is a fairly large 4 story apt. building u/c behind Pizza Delight across from the NBCC on Mountain Road
- the medical/dental building (3 floors) on Mapleton is still u/c
- new residence at Crandall University (4 floors)
- oodles of strip mall and retail construction on Mountain beyond Wheeler
- ditto for Dieppe Blvd
- the Mapleton Power Centre will get back on track next year
- new CIBC on East Main next to Halls Creek
- new physical plant, medical education building and outpatient clinics at the GDH
- several new large buildings in the Caledonia and MID West industrial parks.
- new francophone K-8 school in Moncton West and new anglophone K-8 school in Gunnibgsville area of Riverview (both in planning stages)
- replacement for Moncton High School in the Royal Oaks area (also in planning phase).

There are others, but my arm is getting sore from typing.....

Anyone else want to take up the baton? :D

Lrdevlop
Sep 1, 2011, 11:11 AM
From today's T&T

Metro centre funding process continues
Published Thursday September 1st, 2011

Federal ACOA minister hopes Moncton lands key downtown multi-purpose facility
A1
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

The federal minister of state for ACOA doesn't have a budget for building arenas.

Bernard Valcourt, minister of state for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, speaks yesterday during an appearance in Moncton.
But Bernard Valcourt said Moncton's wish for a downtown events centre is different in that it is looking for a partnership from a different government program other than ACOA, and is based on creating the types of "social infrastructure" that leads to creating wealth in a community, including jobs and economic development.

Valcourt, the MP for Madawaska-Restigouche, was in Moncton for an event yesterday when he was asked about help to fund key recreational infrastructure, such as in Richibucto which lost its arena in a devastating 2009 fire.

"I have no specific program for building arenas," Valcourt said.

"Unfortunately, in a time of fiscal restraint, I strongly doubt that ACOA can be a partner in that project in that community. Not because we don't want to, but because the budgetary limits are real."

ACOA's mandate is to create jobs, foster innovation and partner in programs that lead to creating wealth in communities. But these days, the agency operates in a climate of tight money as the federal government aims to come good on promises to slay the deficit and return to black ink on their annual ledger sheets, Valcourt said.

"If we want to eliminate the deficit and to create an economic climate that creates jobs, we can't be spending right and left."

The Town of Sussex received ACOA money to help it spruce up the 8th Hussars Sports Centre last year, though that came through the now dead federal economic action plan, in which ACOA helped disburse some of the funding that was designed to spur economic activity during the past recession.

That town also received federal money to help build a new civic centre, including an indoor swimming pool, walking track and gym, though Valcourt didn't think that was a direct ACOA investment either.

Moncton's application for a federal partnership to build a new downtown events centre, costing more than $80 million, was also not a direct application for ACOA money, Valcourt pointed out.

"It's different. There is another program at the federal level, which is not ACOA, where they've made application, and I don't know what the status of that is right now," the minister said.

P3 Canada is a federal Crown corporation established to fund infrastructure projects through public-private partnerships at arm's length from the political process. If Moncton turns out to be a successful bidder, the city could receive up to $25 million toward the construction of a multi-use facility, including a new arena, that has been years in the dreaming.

The matter of investing federal funds in community facilities like arenas can be politically touchy. The federal government turned down opportunities to invest directly into NHL rinks in Quebec City and Edmonton, receiving some brickbats for their refusal to participate but mostly kudos from taxpayers who feared an onslaught of applications for new rinks across Canada.

However, the P3 program is a step away from the politics that can sometimes roil the waters of what is a good federal investment and what isn't.

As well, ACOA itself can at times invest in such "social infrastructure" projects where it can be shown to create jobs, improve municipal infrastructure, boost economic develop and provide other, similar benefits to the economy, to businesses and to the workers they employ.

But the agency doesn't have a program that specifically helps communities build hockey rinks, Valcourt said.

As for Moncton's P3 application, the minister couldn't say how that file is progressing, though he did receive indications during his visit to Moncton that it is moving along in a good direction.

"I talked to the mayor and to a representative of city council and they seem to be quite optimistic that the file is going well, so let's all hope it is successful."

mylesmalley
Sep 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
Valmond Robichauld apartments on Gordon (from T&T):

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=702895&size=800x0
source (http://nbbusinessjournal.canadaeast.com/transcript/article/1435284)

Seems like an awful lot of rebar for a 4-story apartment building (assuming the main structure will be made of wood), doesn't it?

churchill25
Sep 1, 2011, 11:20 PM
Seems like an awful lot of rebar for a 4-story apartment building (assuming the main structure will be made of wood), doesn't it?

I was thinking the same thing... :shrug:

brod3211
Sep 1, 2011, 11:27 PM
The last I heard it was going to be 6-7 stories, that was 2 weeks ago from a friend of valmonds , but they said possibly 5-6 .

MonctonRad
Sep 1, 2011, 11:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing... :shrug:

Churchill, aren't you Valmond's son?

Methinks this building will be more substantial than mere wood construction...

:banana::banana::banana:

Welcome back to the forum BTW. :)

mmmatt
Sep 2, 2011, 2:36 AM
I really hope its more signifigant than 4 floor wood, that spot would look great with a nice 6 floor concrete building...then you would have a really nice block with the new Ashford corner building (4 floor concrete), the Hawk building (5 floor concrete) and this...

Heres hoping! :D

Also Churchill, glad to see you are still lurking here, dont mean to push but do you have any idea if your dad is still considering the A2000 renders? Or is he on to something new?

You dont have to say if its confidential or whatever, we will find out eventually anyway...just impatient is all haha

mmmatt
Sep 2, 2011, 2:52 AM
I will add to construction list

- Dieppe operations center (near Dieppe Blvd) U/C
- Empire Theaters expansion U/C
- new office/retail strip on Champlain (about 1k past downtown dieppe) U/C
- New CO-OP feed mill on Halifax st U/C
- A few condos in a much NIMBYd proposal off Harrisville
- New Sobeys and Lawtons on Elmwood (RIP Fille de Jesus) U/C
- Expansion of science building @ UdeM (beautiful glass) U/C

Oh and I was in Caledonia today and someone is clearing land on the block between Harrisville, Commerce and Venture (between the Shell and Peterbuilt)...That block is all owned by one company and they have already built one industrial strip there which is now full (Eaton Electric, Western Logistics and Molson all have a slot)...They have had a site plan sign up for a long time and shows several smaller leasable buildings so I assume that's what is coming!

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 2, 2011, 1:19 PM
and to add to the construction list...sort of, because it's not a building...

Whatever they are doing beside the onramp by Wheeler/Mountain.

JL

Hogie75
Sep 3, 2011, 5:27 PM
I believe on the on Ramp between Wheeler and Hildegard will be the Hildegard stormwater detention ponds project. A project to help with flooding in the area.

Hogie75
Sep 3, 2011, 7:24 PM
I would like to see the city do something simular to the picture below.

This would have many benefits including an alternate route to the Moncton hospital from Wheeler Blvd and eventually Macbeath would extend north to the TCH and help with traffic flow on Connaught ave. This would also open up the "vision Lands (http://www.moncton.ca/Government/Media_Room/News_Releases/Moncton_s_Vision_Lands_to_undergo_residential_transformation.htm)" project. Yes this would involve purchasing approximately 8-10 houses/land on Carney and Anne St, however I think that this would be a great benefit to the community.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5489/proposalz.jpg[/IMG]

MonctonRad
Sep 3, 2011, 8:16 PM
Greetings Hogie75 and welcome to the forums. :)

I have also wondered about extending MacBeath north of Wheeler, perhaps even to the TCH. It would seem to be natural and would give direct access to the Vision Lands from the downtown area of the city.

This would be a huge project however, with the NIMBY's fighting every step of the way.

- There would be a lot of expropriation of property involved (never popular).
- Since it could potentially be a straight shot from the TCH to Vaughan Harvey, it would instantly become one of the preferred routes into the downtown core. Traffic on MacBeath would increase by orders of magnitude.
- There would be instant chaos at the crosswalks in front of TMH, connecting to the parking lots across the street. A definitive solution would have to be created immediately, probably a parking garage with an overhead pedway to the hospital.

I'm not saying that this isn't a good idea. There would just be a number of consequences that would have to be anticipated and would be very expensive to rectify. This project would end up costing tens of millions of dollars easily.

NBNYer
Sep 3, 2011, 8:35 PM
A definitive solution would have to be created immediately, probably a parking garage with an overhead pedway to the hospital.

Isn't there something along that line currently in the works? ...or at least the parking garage part.

MonctonRad
Sep 3, 2011, 8:38 PM
Isn't there something along that line currently in the works? ...or at least the parking garage part.

Not across the street but my lips are sealed. :rolleyes:

theshark
Sep 3, 2011, 9:08 PM
:previous: Now thats just teasing!!!!!

NBNYer
Sep 3, 2011, 9:22 PM
Well, last time I was in town, I heard from a friend who works at TMH that a new medical offices building at or adjacent to the hospital might be in the planing stages. Maybe that's what MonctonRad is referring to, although based his last comment, sounds more like a parking garage. Potentially 2 projects on the way in that area. :tup:

MonctonRad
Sep 3, 2011, 11:30 PM
Well, last time I was in town, I heard from a friend who works at TMH that a new medical offices building at or adjacent to the hospital might be in the planing stages. Maybe that's what MonctonRad is referring to, although based his last comment, sounds more like a parking garage. Potentially 2 projects on the way in that area. :tup:

Could be that the two might be related..... :D

mylesmalley
Sep 5, 2011, 4:41 PM
Trying to get a feel for the scale of this potential apartment building from Killam on Archibald. What it really comes down to is the number of bedrooms per unit.

This one in fredericton is topped out already, and has 44 units
http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=546397&size=500x0

Even if Killam decides to go with a smaller unit size, the fact that they're including more units overall, plus the fact that they're losing a full floor to street-level retail, and we're going to be looking at a fairly large structure. Not to mention the lots being rezoned are relatively narrow, which would further lengthen the place.

I'm really curious what they plan to do about parking though. That building is going to eat up a good chunk of the spaces used by their existing 64-ish unit building on the same site, and they're going to be adding demand for another 40 or 50 spaces. Almost makes me think they might need to replace the whole surface lot with a two story garage.

MonctonRad
Sep 5, 2011, 4:45 PM
Moncton protesters aim to save stately trees
Published Monday September 5th, 2011
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1437347

About 50 people stopped crew from cutting down old oaks by Castle Manor on Mountain Road

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=704313&size=400x0

I wonder what's up with this?

I'm not a huge fan of civic bylaws limiting the rights of homeowners when it comes to landscaping, but there has to be some basic rules and when we are talking about century old mature trees, these would take generations to replace!! These trees should be protected. :hell:

I wonder what the rationale of the landowner is?

MonctonRad
Sep 5, 2011, 5:05 PM
Myles, I know you meant the Killam property on Archibald Street. :haha:

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=546397&size=500x0

I think you are right about the general size and proportions of this building. Regarding the parking; the spot that David99 seems to think that it will be built on, although currently a parking lot, I don't think is the parking lot for the existing Killam apartment building on the street behind.

Still, it will be a tight squeeze getting enough spaces for this building. I wonder if it will be a two level underground garage?

mylesmalley
Sep 5, 2011, 5:41 PM
:previous: Fixed Haha. That's what you get for thinking faster than you type.

MonctonRad
Sep 6, 2011, 1:02 AM
Colour for the page

Perspectives of Downtown Moncton from City Hall Plaza

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/A8B509E0-orig.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/28A93F2B-orig.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/FBFF3F10-orig.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/5BC592BE-orig.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/DC107026-orig.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z411/MonctonRad/Snapbucket/Moncton%20City%20Hall%20Plaza/3CA50F26-orig.jpg

All pictures taken by me this evening and hosted on Photobucket.

mylesmalley
Sep 6, 2011, 1:28 AM
Great shots! Too bad the streets are deserted though.

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 6, 2011, 5:51 PM
Moncton protesters aim to save stately trees
Published Monday September 5th, 2011
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1437347

About 50 people stopped crew from cutting down old oaks by Castle Manor on Mountain Road

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=704313&size=400x0

I wonder what's up with this?

I'm not a huge fan of civic bylaws limiting the rights of homeowners when it comes to landscaping, but there has to be some basic rules and when we are talking about century old mature trees, these would take generations to replace!! These trees should be protected. :hell:

I wonder what the rationale of the landowner is?

This really get's my blood boiling...to cut down a hundred year old 'healthy' tree. :yuck: This is a heritage property and with that designation I believe the owner has to follow certain rules even when it comes to the land (not sure though). We've seen too many occurences of this, right here on our own board we can provide a plethora of examples, of how the almighty buck has destroyed beautiful and cultural nature and infrastructure. Part of what makes this property special is the land/trees around it...shame on you Stephen Gallant (property owner)

JL

...and shame on the guy manning the chain saw. :shrug::twoguns:

haligonia
Sep 6, 2011, 9:49 PM
Great shots! Too bad the streets are deserted though.

That's what I was thinking... I don't think I've ever seen Moncton that dead looking. Usually the downtown is fairly lively and busy.

pierremoncton
Sep 6, 2011, 11:02 PM
This is a heritage property and with that designation I believe the owner has to follow certain rules even when it comes to the land (not sure though).

I think you're right:

Section 3 of the by-law (http://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Residents+English/By-Laws/Z-1102+-+Heritage+By-law.pdf):

Application for Certificate

3. (1) An application for a Certificate of Appropriateness shall
be made in writing by the owner to the Preservation Review
Board and shall include:

(a) in the case of an existing building or structure,
working drawings and specifications which describe in
detail any proposed development or alterations to such
building or structure, and/or a site plan and specifications
which describe in detail any proposed changes to the
existing open spaces, yards, driveways, landscaping and
other details; or

--

But what's the penalty? I don't see anything in the text pertaining to that, so maybe: (a) nothing; or (b) the equivalent of nothing.

City council seems to have forgotten that there was talk of a by-law after the Archibald/St George trees (the location of the proposed Killam apartments) were about to be cut down. Here's hoping that they don't drag their feet again.

MonctonRad
Sep 6, 2011, 11:50 PM
That's what I was thinking... I don't think I've ever seen Moncton that dead looking. Usually the downtown is fairly lively and busy.

It was fairly late in the evening on Labour Day Monday. I was also more interested in capturing the look of the architecture rather than the liveliness of the streetscape.

I shall return again on a busier evening to show that the downtown is not quite dead (yet). :D

theshark
Sep 7, 2011, 12:12 AM
none the less, it all points to, the need of more people living downtown!! And frankly, more green on the ground of the city hall... not too much so it still functions as a little venue but just enough that it woul give it a little caracter.

haligonia
Sep 7, 2011, 12:40 AM
It was fairly late in the evening on Labour Day Monday. I was also more interested in capturing the look of the architecture rather than the liveliness of the streetscape.

I shall return again on a busier evening to show that the downtown is not quite dead (yet). :D
That would explain it.

I have been to Moncton several times over the past few years (friends live there) and Main Street is always buzzing.

Now if you could only deal with those parking lots... ;)

MonctonRad
Sep 7, 2011, 8:44 PM
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/1437888

Metro company hopes for military contract
Published Wednesday September 7th, 2011

New contract could provide 120 jobs at Dieppe's Malley Industries, open up new opportunities
by alan cochrane
Times & transcript staff

Many New Brunswick businesses could get a piece of the action if the federal government approves a contract to build the Timberwolf, a new tactical armoured patrol vehicle.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=704632&size=400x0
Malley Industries in Dieppe hopes to win a contract to produce the Timberwolf armoured vehicle for the Canadian Forces.

"We're very excited about this because we stand to not only be putting the puzzle together, but to be sourcing all the parts of that puzzle," says Thomas Nesbitt, manager of Corporate Development for Malley Industries in Dieppe.

Malley Industries has signed a memorandum of understanding with Force Protection Industries of South Carolina to provide final assembly of the Timberwolf. Force Protection is hoping to win the contract with the federal government to build the vehicles.

If the deal goes through, it could mean about 120 jobs at the Malley Industries plant near the Greater Moncton International Airport. It would also mean that Malley would be sourcing the hundreds of parts and components needed to build the vehicle. Nesbitt says the company would look to New Brunswick companies first to source steel components, wheels and tires, electronics, paint and everything else needed to build the vehicle.

"This means sustainable growth, development and world-class competitiveness in military vehicle assembly for New Brunswick and the Atlantic provinces," Malley said "It has been estimated that an additional 300 jobs would be created in the Atlantic Region if the Timberwolf is Canada's choice for this important contract award."

Malley joins a team of leading Canadian and U.S. companies to manufacture the Timberwolf, which is described as the safest, most reliable and technically-advanced of the Canadian Forces' tactical armoured patrol vehicle fleet. Canadian soldiers have been using the Timberwolf's predecessor, the Cougar, in some of the most hostile environments in Afghanistan where it has proven itself. The Timberwolf Team is confident that this factor will be a key element in the federal government's decision-making process for up to 600 new vehicles to be purchased in the very near future.

Good stuff Myles, we'll let Halifax handle the shipbuilding contract as long as we get to build vehicles for the army.

What's next on the agenda? Tanks? :D

mylesmalley
Sep 7, 2011, 9:17 PM
While we're obviously hoping to get it, the benefits will clearly extend well beyond us.

I think it bears repeating just how much of an economic driver manufacturing like this is. it takes people and equipment to assemble, people and vehicles to move stuff around, people, equipment, and raw materials for sub-components, people for testing, engineering, quality assurance, finishing, and maintenance. And that's just production. Then there's logistics, accounting, human resources, procurement, and all the other supporting fields.

As great as call centre jobs are, making stuff is where it's at!

EDIT: And no, no tanks :cheers:.

JHikka
Sep 7, 2011, 9:50 PM
...people for testing...

I'm...uh....i'm available. :coolugh:

Good luck with landing the contract!

mylesmalley
Sep 7, 2011, 9:57 PM
We probably wouldn't even need to hire people for that one :haha:

JasonL-Moncton
Sep 8, 2011, 2:10 PM
We probably wouldn't even need to hire people for that one :haha:

Just send a couple out "Albert County" way and you'll have all your testing done for you :P :notacrook:

gm_scott
Sep 8, 2011, 11:26 PM
Shoot, you'll need to expand Malley Industries again!

Dmajackson
Sep 9, 2011, 1:51 AM

Just admit it, Monctonians are now going to Halifax for long weekends. :P

JK BTW.

Imagine the cross-traffic if a fast-train were to be established between Halifax and Moncton with major stops in both downtowns. :tup: