PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Steelcowboy
Apr 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
I doubt we'll ever be like New Jersey..its nice to have some variety of foods here, we haven't tried ALL the restaurants here but the local ones we have been to, are very tasty.

David_99
Apr 28, 2010, 1:35 PM
"Give the Boot the Boot" -Mayor George LeBlanc Times&Transcript

MonctonRad
Apr 28, 2010, 10:07 PM
:previous:

The "full" article from the T&T

Give 'boot' the boot: Mayor
Published Wednesday April 28th, 2010

Parking "enforcer" says drivers need to heed signs in private lots or pay consequences
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Mayor George LeBlanc says the practice of booting cars parked in private lots is giving Downtown Moncton a bad reputation and something has to be done before the busy tourist season begins.

"It's time that we gave the boot the boot," LeBlanc said yesterday.

The mayor said the city's legal department has been tasked with coming up with some kind of bylaw or enforcement policy that will appease the owners of private parking lots but also address the concerns of local folks and visitors who have found their cars immobilized in recent weeks.

LeBlanc said he has received a substantial number of calls and complaints from people who feel they have been victimized by parking lot officers -- people who didn't know they were illegally parked and were not given any warning before their cars were booted and they were told to cough up $85 to have their vehicle freed from the restraining device.

The Times & Transcript has also received a number of letters and e-mails from car owners complaining about booting and what they have described as the disrespectful attitude shown by those responsible for the booting.

"I don't like what I'm hearing but I'm not sure what we can do about it," the mayor said.

LeBlanc said property owners have the right to protect their own interests but need to put themselves in the shoes (or boots) of out-of-town visitors who drive into the downtown looking for a place to park and see a good place, but nothing jumps out to say that you will be booted. He said these parking lots appear to be publicly accessible but are actually owned by private landowners who reserve the spaces on a monthly basis. In recent weeks, the property owners have hired private contractors to patrol and police these lots.

The "booters" do not work for the city and are not associated with the parking patrol officers who keep track of cars parked at meters on city streets.

And although signs are posted warning drivers they are trespassing and could have their car booted, LeBlanc and others say that isn't enough notice.

"I'm not satisfied that there is sufficient warning to people that this is place they shouldn't be parking."

That sentiment is echoed by Daniel St. Louis, a self-employed commercial photographer who has been working in the city for more than 25 years. St. Louis says he went into a parking lot at the corner of Wesley and Queen Streets around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday night. He says he was only there a few seconds when an employee of Parking Solutions Inc., drove into the lot, jumped out of his car and told St. Louis he was on private property and he had to get out. St. Louis says he tried to leave but the man used a car to block his path to the street. The parking lot has four entrances off Wesley Street, none of which are blocked by a chain or gate. The two argued and the parking officer called police, who got St. Louis to sign an agreement that he would not trespass on that property for one year.

St. Louis says the incident lasted more than an hour and he was so upset that he parked in a city-owned lot across the street and flagged down other drivers, warning them not to go into that parking lot, or they would have their cars booted.

The parking lot in question is privately owned and the spaces are rented out on a monthly basis to people who work downtown. St. Louis said it was basically empty on Saturday night and he felt it was okay to park there, and didn't see the sign. Lots like this have been used by people going to downtown bars and restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights. The problem is that if people leave their cars in a private lot overnight, they will be blocking access to someone who shows up for work the next morning expecting to park in a spot they pay a monthly fee for.

So now drivers who use these private lots are subject to booting. The lot at Queen and Wesley has bilingual signs informing people that it is private property, with "24HR" stuck in the middle of them. But there is no fence, chain, gate or other mechanism to block cars from entering. Drivers who have their car booted are supposed to call Parking Solutions but the phone number on the sign is covered with a piece of white duct tape, with another number written in pen that is only visible from a couple of inches away.

"Historically, parking has been free on Saturday nights but now they are making money on the night-time booting," St. Louis said. "This isn't enforcement, it's entrapment."

He said the city needs to have a minimum standard for warning signs that clearly state that these lots are closed to public parking 24 hours a day, visible enough to be seen from a good distance.

Moncton MP Brian Murphy, a former mayor of Moncton, said he has heard complaints that parking officers are using "vulture" tactics of waiting and patrolling parking lots until unsuspecting drivers pull in, then swooping in quickly to boot the cars. He said St. Louis' story about being blocked was also disturbing.

"I'm an MP, I care about the community and I think that if these facts are true, they are hurting the downtown, hurting Moncton's image and while everybody understands private property owners have to police their properties and manage them properly, there are these other issues."

Murphy said the situation could hurt Downtown Moncton's image at a time when local businesses are trying to bring more visitors to the area.

"I can't imagine somebody from Amherst or Charlottetown being aware that if you park anywhere downtown at night when nobody's in a lot that you're going to booted for 85 bucks if you are there for three seconds. That can't be good for our civic image. Maybe it happens everywhere else, fine, but maybe we have to put a sign up at the entrance to the city that says 'If You're Parking Downtown, Don't Stop!' That is hardly good for business and I don't think it's good for the downtown."

He said any kind of intimidation used by the parking officers, not giving people warning before booting them, and a lack of clear signage is making the situation worse.

Dale Dixon, president of Parking Solutions Inc., a company contracted by landowners to patrol and protect privately owned parking lots, gives a different version of the story, saying St. Louis was verbally abusive to the parking officer and intimidating other people nearby.

Dixon says his company has six well-trained parking patrol officers who look after about 50 lots in Moncton, protecting the interests of property owners who are sick of their lots being abused and damaged. Dixon says people need to pay attention and check for signs before using a parking lot, the same way as they would look for speed limit signs on a highway. He says they must also realize that private property rules apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Dixon denies that his officers are "waiting in the bushes" to swoop down on unsuspecting drivers who didn't see the signs and boot their cars. He said the officers are on patrol 24 hours a day and will make regular checks on lots they are contracted to protect. He said people who park in private lots usually do so for several hours and are usually quite apologetic when they find out they have to pay an $85 fine to have their car freed. He said the money collected goes back to the company's general revenue to help pay the bills. He said the parking officers are paid an hourly wage and do not get any kind of commission or financial incentive for booting a car. In fact, he said officers who boot cars are sometimes verbally or physically assaulted by car owners.

"When you abandon your vehicle there, it is abandonment on private property. We need to educate the public and people usually learn their lesson when their car gets disabled. We want to work with Downtown Moncton to help the businesses we protect and get their parking problems straightened out so they can make more money," he said.

Daniel Allain, executive-director of Downtown Moncton Centre-Ville Inc., said the booting controversy has stirred up the debate over availability of parking in the downtown. Allain said he has received a number of phone calls from people, many of them from out-of-town, who described the behaviour of the parking officers as predatory.

"It is a hard issue to deal with. I sympathize with the property owners but also sympathize with the people who come from out of town. We're having meetings this week and will be sending out letters to property owners to strike a balance," he said.

Allain said the worst trouble spots for booting are on Queen Street near the Pump House Brewery, Westmorland and Robinson near the City Grill and the former Co-op store on Regent Street. He believes better signage that clearly states where people can and can't park would be a good start to resolving the issue for everyone.

According to DMCI, there are 8,747 parking spaces in the downtown. That includes various parking lots, street parking, private lots and the Church Street parking garage. Of the 8,747, 1,200 are owned by the city and available to the public, 4,100 are privately owned and publicly accessible, and 3,200 are privately owned and reserved for individuals or companies. The downtown parking garage has 228 spaces over several levels but is rarely filled to capacity. It was built in the 1980s with a design that could be expanded.

Personal opinion: These thugs and hooligans that work for "Parking Solutions" need to be put out of business as soon as possible. I think that there should be absolutely no ambiguity as to whether or not a parking lot in the city core is public or private. This would be most easily accomplished by passing a civic bylaw stating that all private parking lots in the downtown core (not affiliated with a retail establishment) must be gated and fenced. I think that a bylaw like this would be legal and enforceable and if enacted, then I don't think anyone would have the right to complain if their car gets booted on private property.

As an example of how confusing the present situation can currently be, I was at the City Grill last week and parked in the small lot next to the restaurant. The usual signs posted on the lot were still present, stating that the lot was private parking until 5PM but was available to City Grill customers after hours. There however was also a new sign from Parking Solutions warning that the lot was private and threatening the boot. This sign unfortunately was posted directly above the only remaining available space in the lot. I parked there, but I was left guessing as to the intent of the sign. Would cars only be booted during office hours? I assumed that the lot was free for City Grill customers but was the single space I was parking in a "special space" subject to the boot? My car was safe when I left the restaurant but I was a little worried the whole time I was eating.

Crystal clarity regarding the boot is needed. This must be included in any bylaw they enact!!

MonctonRad
Apr 29, 2010, 12:14 AM
Construction to begin on new church
Published Tuesday April 27th, 2010
A3

A sod-turning ceremony will be held Sunday at 4 p.m. to officially begin construction of the new St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on Hildegarde Drive.

Construction of the new church, next to the Hildegarde Fire Station, is expected to be carried out this summer.

The St. Andrew's church has been located at 90 Park St. downtown since 1928. The congregation is growing and members decided it was better to have a new building than to try and expand the old one and upgrade it with wheelchair access. The church purchased land at 77 Hildegarde Drive in north-end Moncton. The Park Street church is still for sale.

MonctonRad
Apr 29, 2010, 12:31 AM
Tidal bore makes waves
Published Wednesday April 28th, 2010
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

Metro Moncton's missing-in-action tidal bore seems to be trying very hard to stage a comeback in the two weeks since the Petitcodiac River causeway gates were opened.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=488600&size=800x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
The tidal bore rolls in earlier this week about 300 metres (328 yards) downstream from the Hall’s Creek bridge in Dieppe.

Yesterday's bore was about two feet, or about two-thirds of a metre, in height, a big improvement from the ripple of water that in recent years marked the sorry state of what was once an international natural phenomenon.

To be sure, this is almost the time of the month when tides are at their strongest, and thus the bore is at its latter-day mightiest.

"But the fact that the gates are open does amplify that a little more," Petitcodiac Riverkeeper Tim Van Hinte contends.

Older residents of the area talk of tidal bores -- that twice-daily wave of water that turns the tide of the Petitcodiac River and fills it to the brim -- that were once many feet in height, at times. In the days after the Petitcodiac causeway was built in 1968, some bores have been barely discernible as the flow of the river was stifled, its depth and breadth vastly reduced, like the dimensions of the river itself.

The gates that hold back the river's waters at the causeway were opened on April 14 as the middle phase of a three-part initiative to replace a section of the causeway with a bridge.

The bore had become so impotent in recent decades that the City of Moncton's tourism efforts began downplaying the bore itself, instead guiding visitors' attention to the reversing of the tide and to how quickly the river fills after the tide turns. Fans of a free-running Petitcodiac hope the time soon comes when the tidal bore can return to a place of prominence on Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe's lists of things to see and do when visiting this area.

Yesterday's bore was more impressive than the norm.

At Château Moncton on east Main Street, a significant wave could be seen approaching from Dieppe. It passed with an audible roar and erosion was evident on the south bank of the river's muddy shore. That erosion is as intended, Van Hinte says.

"That's certainly where they do anticipate change on that side of the river," the riverkeeper says, referring to how the river is pushing out silt that choked much of the life out of it during the four decades that the flow of its once-powerful waters was decimated. The river is already noticeably wider at that point, though not dramatically so.

Chasing the bore upstream, perhaps the best view of all was from the Gunningsville Bridge.

Where on most sections of the river yesterday's bore stayed somewhat docile near the middle of the Petitcodiac, it was still a forceful wave on either side of the river, crashing up the river's banks. But from the bridge, one could watch a clear curl of water of a height that was far more eye-catching than in recent decades coming straight at you, passing directly underneath.

At Riverview's band stand, the section of the bore in the middle of the river again tended to peter out, but the water racing along each shoreline crashed its way upriver until finally becoming rather insignificant as it neared the causeway.

The causeway gates themselves also proved an interesting contrast. When the gates were first opened, the water on each side of the causeway at low tide was at dramatically different grades. In the two weeks since, the water escaping the headpond into the river has scoured the riverbed in the area of the gates, creating a set of rapids at low tide that grows in length daily and gives the impression the bed of the headpond is slowly making its way downward to the lower level of the river.

"Over time, that channel will start to erode away," Van Hinte says.

"It'll probably become a little flatter."

At low tide in the headpond, one can clearly see how the river is finding its natural meandering flow. At high tide, the headpond almost fills again, but with the chocolate waters of the river. The tide has been discernible on some days almost to Salisbury, though the waters are not brown that high up the river.

As well, some veteran river watchers believe the bore now arrives earlier than normal, though that could not be confirmed. To be sure you don't miss it, get there earlier than the scheduled time of the bore's arrival. An extra 10 minutes should ensure that you see the bore.

Don't rely on the city's bore-arrival clock at Bore Park, however. It's broken. Instead, go on the Internet and click on http://tourism.moncton.ca/Assets/Moncton Tourism/Tidal Bore Schedule.pdf

What’s a bore?

It’s a wave, actually, the result of the record high tides of the Bay of Fundy that cause the water in Moncton’s Petitcodiac River to reverse direction and to raise with just one wave coming in from the bay.

In little more than an hour the river can go from a muddy river bottom at low tide to being filled to its banks at some 7.5 metres, or about 25 feet, in depth.

The Tidal Bore can be seen from many points in Metro Moncton, starting from various spots along the Dieppe riverside trail system to the south side of Champlain Street, near Hall’s Creek in Dieppe; in Moncton along the waterfront boardwalk or from Bore Park; or from Riverview’s riverside trail system.

The Gunningsville Bridge between downtown Moncton and Riverview offers excellent vantage points for pedestrians.

My opinion regarding the opening of the causeway gates is beginning to change.

Originally I had reservations about losing the headpond but so far, the effect is not as bad as I had feared. Also, the river downstream is noticeably different than before. To me, the most obvious thing is that the water flow in the river is much more vigorous than before the gates were opened. There is constant motion in the river now. Before, the river below the causeway gates at high tide appeared rather stagnant. I appreciate the contrast.

pierremoncton
Apr 29, 2010, 1:07 PM
I guess that some of us amateur lawyers may have been right:

Fredericton police say immobilizing vehicles, charging fee for release could be considered theft
[...]
Myers said Fredericton police are advising people in that city to call them if they find a boot in their car because it is unlawful, but they can't act on it unless there is a complaint from the owner, and most owners will simply pay the fee. Myers said the police do not have sympathy for drivers who park their cars on private property, but they also do not have sympathy for booting companies who use the boot unlawfully.

Source: http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/article/1033009

MonctonRad
May 1, 2010, 8:58 PM
'The boot' illegal, lawyers say
Published Saturday May 1st, 2010

Veteran Moncton litigators say parking enforcement breaks mischief laws, lacks due process
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

New Brunswick's Department of Public Safety, the Attorney General's office and the J Division RCMP were still huddling in Fredericton yesterday to work out the broader issues surrounding the use of parking boot restraining devices on vehicles, and they are many.

There are questions of property rights of land owners versus rights of vehicle owners. There are questions about the legal authority of private companies to impose and collect fees that are essentially fines. There are questions about the lack of legal due process being afforded to those who are judged to have parked in a spot deemed to be prohibited. There are questions about what is suitable legal notice to give to drivers deemed to have parked on private property. There are even questions about whether demanding immediate payment of an arbitrarily set fee to release a vehicle owner's property constitutes some sort of extortion.

But when you strip the issue down to its most basic component, whether or not it is legal for a private citizen to immobilize another private citizen's vehicle, one of New Brunswick's most senior defence lawyers believes it's pretty cut and dried.

"I think it's illegal," says Moncton's Wendell Maxwell. "You can't interfere with the enjoyment of a person's property."

Maxwell speaks of the law with a remarkable 42 years of experience in the province's courtrooms. In fact, he spoke to a Times & Transcript reporter yesterday just hours after he secured the freedom of a Moncton woman charged with murder last year.

When it comes to the considerably less complex legal matter of parking, Maxwell was able to cite the relevant section of the Criminal Code of Canada in an instant. It is the section on mischief -- Section 430. (1) (b) and (c) -- which seems clear even to a layman.

If among other things, you render someone's property useless or inoperative, or obstruct that person's lawful use, enjoyment or operation of said property, you have committed mischief.

"Booting certainly comes under that legal definition," Maxwell said. "If they put one on my car, they'd have a private prosecution on their hands."

Moncton lawyer Troy Sweet is a veteran of a number of high-profile Moncton court cases. In his legal work as a military reservist, Lieutenant-Colonel Sweet's defence of Nova Scotia soldier Matthew Wilcox in the fatal shooting of his friend Cpl. Kevin Megeney in Afghanistan in 2007 has brought him a national profile,

Like Maxwell, Sweet didn't hesitate to say there was no legal basis for the practice of booting vehicles. He not only agreed with his colleague's interpretation, he threw in a number of other concerns.

"The concern is the immediate enforcement of it," he said, pointing out there is no due process involved.

The fine -- which should perhaps be called a penalty or fee, as "fine" tends to suggest it has some sort of legal backing -- "is an arbitrary amount. Who sets it?" he asked, wondering aloud why it couldn't just as easily be set at $500.

Without the due process of law, "it doesn't makes sense that I (as a land owner or owner's agent) can set the price."

Calling it a "draconian" measure and suggesting holding a $40,000 vehicle over errant parking was a form of overkill, Sweet said, "I sympathize with landowners, but this practice forces people into confrontations."

He said many people in our area probably see boots being used in American cities on the popular reality TV show Parking Wars, and assume it's a legitimate practice. He noted, however, that in those televised uses of the boot, it's usually employed only on chronic parking offenders and under authority of a municipality or state.

Sweet thinks that's ironic, given that Moncton's parking woes are relatively minor.

"Here we start with the boot. There they finish with it."

I think it's time to entrap the booters.......let's plant a car in a downtown lot, get it booted, call the RCMP to see if they will launch mischief charges against the booters, and if not, then launch a civil suit against the blighters! :tup:

mylesmalley
May 1, 2010, 10:41 PM
Only problem is you might run the risk of getting yourself charged with trespassing. But I'm game. Who wants first watch?

MonctonRad
May 1, 2010, 11:49 PM
Only problem is you might run the risk of getting yourself charged with trespassing. But I'm game. Who wants first watch?

Trespassing is only a misdemeanour, it wouldn't give you a criminal record like extortion or theft would..........I think the booters will come out on the losing end of this battle! :tup:

riverviewer
May 2, 2010, 12:38 AM
Question: If the boot is illegal because it denies you the use of your property. Then wouldn't parking a car on top of someone else's property deny them the use of their property too? Two wrongs?

Let's make it three: I say put a chain around the boot. Lock it tight. Boot their boot and charge them when they come to retrieve it!

Sony500
May 2, 2010, 5:14 AM
Seems to me if they are putting a boot on your car, they must be "giving" it to you, I say if you get a boot on your car, call a tow truck and have your car removed from the property, and then take the tire and rim off of your car, and tell them to come and get it. Just a thought, I don't know if this would work or not.

pierremoncton
May 2, 2010, 1:10 PM
The riverfront trail has been closed West of the Gunningsville bridge for a while. They've realigned the trail and have replaced the pedestrian bridge with a slightly longer (and larger) one. They're not done yet, but the result should be really nice. The entire trail is underappreciated -- but not by me!

Congrats/thanks to the city!

MonctonRad
May 2, 2010, 2:01 PM
The riverfront trail has been closed West of the Gunningsville bridge for a while. They've realigned the trail and have replaced the pedestrian bridge with a slightly longer (and larger) one. They're not done yet, but the result should be really nice. The entire trail is underappreciated -- but not by me!

Congrats/thanks to the city!

I am very impressed by the trail system throughout the entire greater Moncton area. I recently sampled the riverfront trail in the southern part of Dieppe (below Melanson Rd.) and it was truly delightful........peaceful and scenic. Walking south, you have nice views of the lower reaches of the Petitcodiac and returning north, a really nice view of the downtown Moncton skyline. Trails like this give you a real appreciation for the Petitcodiac.

The entire riverfront trail system in Dieppe, Moncton and Riverview has to be about 20 km in length. All sections of the riverfront trail have certain merits. Now that the causeway gates are open, the Riverview portion of the trail has become more interesting as the river flow is much more vigourous. There are even rapids (of a sort) which are visible at low tide near the causeway gates.

There are at least 20 more km of trails extending inland within the city of Moncton itself. I particularly enjoy the Humphrey Brook trail. One of the greatest revelations of Humphrey Brook is how it is a wildlife corridor in the heart of the city.

The only trail that I have reservations about is the trail in the northwest of the city extending from Ryan Rd., behind the Evergreen and Kingswood subdivisions out as far as the casino. This is mostly because it follows a power right-of-way (which is not particularly scenic). This however was the only route available in the area because of surrounding sprawl and if you accept this trail for what it is (a pedestraim and cycling connector located away from highway traffic), I think it does it's job pretty well.

We still haven't talked about the many woodland trails in Centennial, Mapleton, Irishtown and St. Anselme parks! Future plans include linking all of greater Moncton's trails together, including the parkland trails I just mentioned. Just think of the recreational possibilities!

Cudos to everyone! :tup:

pierremoncton
May 2, 2010, 4:46 PM
The entire riverfront trail system in Dieppe, Moncton and Riverview has to be about 20 km in length.

Great guess! 19.5 km (http://www.tctrail.ca/tlocator/infotrail/en/infotrail.php?no=04-0007)

Agreed: Moncton and Dieppe have made great progress on trails in the past years. I don't understand seeing them empty, but that means more room for me.

mylesmalley
May 2, 2010, 5:04 PM
Yeah, compared to the trails in Fredericton, Greater Moncton's trails can be woefully underused at times. Centennial Park gets some pretty heavy use in my experience though.

I was over the bridge next to Gunningsville about two weeks ago (didn't realize it was closed until I got to it and I wasn't turning around at that point). It didn't seem any different from the one that was there originally. Are you sure they didn't just move it?

--

As for the car denying the lot owner the right to enjoy their property or whether that just counts as trespassing. That may be entirely true. However that should have no bearing over the legality of one's dispute with the boot company. They're two completely separate issues. Moreover, two wrongs don't make a right.

pierremoncton
May 2, 2010, 7:05 PM
I was over the bridge next to Gunningsville about two weeks ago (didn't realize it was closed until I got to it and I wasn't turning around at that point). It didn't seem any different from the one that was there originally. Are you sure they didn't just move it?

I thought that they'd just moved it at first, but I felt that it was longer and wider. I could be wrong -- I don't know what they would have done with the other one anyway.

MonctonRad
May 2, 2010, 10:09 PM

I agree with Myles, I think it's the same bridge, they just moved it to a new home when they realigned the Johnathon Creek outflow.

mmmatt
May 2, 2010, 10:29 PM
It is the same bridge but extended...the center section is original and the two small sections on either side are new.

Phil_5
May 2, 2010, 11:27 PM
I am almost 100% positive that the bridge crossing the Jonathan creek is partially new. Last year, two sections of that bridge were laying on big pieces of wood in the causeway traffic circle area.

In addition to previous thread, I think that the trail system in Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview is a great success. I regularly bike along the riverfront trail and today was no exception. I was astonished by the number of people biking, walking or simply waiting for the tidal bore.:)

mmmatt
May 3, 2010, 4:04 AM
In addition to previous thread, I think that the trail system in Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview is a great success. I regularly bike along the riverfront trail and today was no exception. I was astonished by the number of people biking, walking or simply waiting for the tidal bore.:)

Yep, I was down there today as well, scoping out possible wedding photo-shoot locations, and I was surprised by the amount of people around, mainly to do with the extraordinary weather, but still :tup:

MonctonRad
May 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
So, I just learned United Airlines is buying Continental lock, stock and barrel. The new company will retain the name United Airlines.

I wonder what this will mean (if anything) for our daily Continental connection to Newark? Thinking positively, perhaps the merger might allow for new daily connections, possibly to Chicago (United's HQ).

If I were Ron Robichaud, this would be an opportunity I would explore. :tup:

Lrdevlop
May 3, 2010, 9:05 PM
The new company will retain the name United Airlines.

Hey Moncton Rad I think your wrong (srry maybe I'm wrong...)

Anyways the new company will be called United Continental...

And I agree for the flight to Chicago.

michael_d40
May 3, 2010, 9:14 PM
Hey Moncton Rad I think your wrong (srry maybe I'm wrong...)

Anyways the new company will be called United Continental...

And I agree for the flight to Chicago.

Actuall MonctonRad is correct. It will be called United Airlines and will hbe the Contintental logo will be used on the tailfin of the plane....

Lrdevlop
May 4, 2010, 6:58 PM
Actuall MonctonRad is correct. It will be called United Airlines and will hbe the Contintental logo will be used on the tailfin of the plane....

Oh well... Thank you for correcting me! :tup:

MonctonRad
May 4, 2010, 9:04 PM
Mayor touts tax cuts, metro centre
Published Tuesday May 4th, 2010

George LeBlanc delivers state of city address
By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

By his own assessment, it was a midterm report card for Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc and his council yesterday as he marked the halfway point of his mayoral term with his second state of the city address.

Mayor LeBlanc delivered the lunchtime address before a joint meeting of the Moncton Rotary Club and the Greater Moncton Chamber of Commerce at the Delta Beauséjour Hotel.

While he was more than prepared to run over the highlights of the past year and to some extent, the first half of their mandate, LeBlanc told his audience, "ultimately we know that you and the people of Moncton will be the ones who will ultimately be signing our report card."

Among the highlights he outlined were policing, fiscal responsibility, downtown development and the work being done on pursuing a downtown sports and entertainment complex.

First of all, LeBlanc was happy to report the council had managed two modest tax rate reductions and is hoping to do the same next year.

"In the last budget we put a heck of a lot of emphasis on long-term sustainability, reserves and infrastructure."

He recalled his second day on the job as mayor in 2008 when the city's chief financial officer briefed him and said the city had a $1.8-million deficit for the year and it was only May. That year, clearing an unusually heavy snowfall put the city behind the eight ball.

The mayor said since then, the council has worked to build rainy-day -- or perhaps more aptly, snowy day -- reserves to keep unexpected events from becoming calamities.

But any good council requires vision to go along with the prudent accounting. Bean-counting shouldn't prevent it from ever dreaming of giant beanstalks.

On downtown development, Mayor LeBlanc said the city needs high-density housing with integrated developments of commercial or retail space.

"If we could get two or three or four of those developments downtown, it could make a very significant difference. We're working on that and I hope to have something on that to tell you in the near future."

To help start the cascade effect, LeBlanc took his argument for a downtown entertainment and sports centre to the business community he was addressing.

"I think we should do it because I believe it will bring prosperity and vibrancy to our downtown. It's not the sole answer, but I believe it's part of the puzzle."

He noted the two reports on the feasibility of such a facility -- one by expert consultants and the other by a committee of leading Monctonians -- both overwhelmingly supported the idea.

"The consultants suggested a 9,000-seat venue. I know a lot of people think we should have 10 or 12. The consultants don't think we should go bigger and say that would be a bad idea. I suppose that's up for discussion," he said, but the bigger question is whether or not to go forward.

He said there was no question.

"If not a new downtown entertainment centre, then what?"

Beyond spurring a downtown in desperate need of a boost, LeBlanc said the city can't continue to rely on the Moncton Coliseum as its main venue.

"Last year, we had the seating capacity reduced by the fire marshal. Imagine. We had to spend a million dollars just to bring it up to fire code. To me, that's just not money well spent.

"That building, I'm afraid, is past its best-before date. We can spruce it up, but going forward into the future, we need something more."

Personal note:

It will be interesting to see what "high density integrated downtown developments" George is talking about.......

MonctonRad
May 4, 2010, 9:12 PM
Moncton plans LJR street honour
Published Tuesday May 4th, 2010

Former premier will be honoured by road in new development
By Nick Moore
Times & Transcript Staff

They're two men who have made lasting contributions to New Brunswick and southeastern New Brunswick. But the City of Moncton says no street or building can bear their names without city council's explicit consent.

In October 2007, city councillors approved a list of more than 200 names which included local war heroes, inventors, and community leaders.

City officials hoped to encourage developers to attach one of those names to a street or building and cement a little local history to an address or landmark.

But two names on that list were said to be off-limits for the picking.

They are: Glen McCluskey, a member of the former Lewisville village council who was instrumental in creating Lewisville Park in 1967; and Louis J. Robichaud, the former premier from 1960-1970 and a member of the Canadian Senate.

Moncton city councillors reserved the names for their own use.

But after more than three years, has the city agreed on where these names should go?

City of Moncton spokesman Paul Thomson said the intent is to name a major roadway in the Moncton Vision Land vicinity after Louis J. Robichaud.

Moncton's Vision Land is a 1,500-acre parcel of land situated between Wheeler Boulevard and the Trans-Canada Highway, sandwiched between Mapleton Road and McLaughlin Road.

A sustainable living community is being developed in that area.

There are no specific details at this time about the new street to be named after LJR, said Thomson, although he said it would be a major roadway.

As for McCluskey's namesake, Thomson said nothing specific had been determined, again mentioning that it would have to be attached to a new roadway or facility of significance.

Naming public streets, buildings and landmarks has once again emerged as a topic of discussion in Moncton, with Premier Shawn Graham saying he doesn't plan to name the new downtown Moncton courthouse after a person, after initially showing some favour to the idea of naming it after Ivan Rand.

The Moncton-born Rand, who developed the famed Rand Formula dealing with closed union shops, is a former justice of the Supreme Court of Canada.

Graham said the government's decision to not name the building after a distinguished local followed the New Brunswick tradition of not naming justice facilities after one person.

The city's name bank itself has been controversial with some city councillors complaining that developers aren't taking it seriously, and instead going their own route to give streets only generic titles.

Personal note:

So, the city is still plugging away at the "vision lands" project.

I agree that a major roadway should be named after LJR. If I could guess, I'd wager that the new Louis-J. Robichaud Boulevard will be the main access road to the new development, namely the road that will connect Mapleton at Frampton Lane to Connaught at U de M (incorporating the Crowley Farm Road).

NBNYer
May 4, 2010, 11:05 PM
City of Moncton spokesman Paul Thomson said the intent is to name a major roadway in the Moncton Vision Land vicinity after Louis J. Robichaud.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if he was that specific because there's some "new" news about this project, or if he just quoted some old plans.:shrug:

drewber
May 5, 2010, 7:12 PM
Just called 310-0001 today and the girl confirmed they are now open. Going to head up tonight or tomorrow night..I will post my opinion after trying it :cheers:

gehrhardt
May 7, 2010, 2:18 PM
Just called 310-0001 today and the girl confirmed they are now open. Going to head up tonight or tomorrow night..I will post my opinion after trying it :cheers:

Hmm, I called yesterday to place an order and the operator kept trying to forward me to the Fredericton store. He said they open here next week. :shrug:

MonctonRad
May 7, 2010, 2:39 PM
Is it just me or is the Times & Transcript being surprisingly harsh on the new Casino NB

Headline from yesterday: Casino Snubs French

Headline from today: Casino Profits means your Losses

Also, one would normally expect the opening of a $90-100M business in the city to be accompanied by a large flashy spread in the paper but in this case, there was nary a peep about the opening............

My opinion of the casino is neutral.........it has it's good point and it's bad points but if NB is to have a casino, I'd rather see it in Moncton where we may be able to get some benefits from the enterprise (400 jobs and $600,000 in property taxes per year). The T&T's current attitude regarding the casino I find to be quite surprising! :shrug:

David_99
May 7, 2010, 4:00 PM
Is it just me or is the Times & Transcript being surprisingly harsh on the new Casino NB

That part is ridiculous. Yes, they should have a bilingual person at any Customer Service roll, but everything else in there is bilingual. I've seen every document printed for that place including menus, game rules, brochures, tent cards, any advertising etc. All Bilingual. One employee can't speak the language and it makes that kind of headline? Come on.

I got attitude from a cashier for not speaking french as a customer at the Shoppers accross from the mall. Did I go crying to the paper? Jeez.

C_Boy
May 7, 2010, 5:06 PM
Traffic up at Greater Moncton Airport
Cathy LeBreton - News Staff May 07, 2010 10:46:55 AM

MONCTON, NB - It was a strong first quarter at the Greater Moncton International Airport.Officials report a 12 per cent increase in passenger traffic in the first quarter of 2010.

Airport President and CEO Rob Robichaud says they're encouraged that cargo recovery has been seen much sooner than anticipated. Cargo volumes were up by more than 24 per cent in March -- an increase of 4 per cent over the same time last year.

Much of the increase on the passenger side is being attributed to a very successful winter charter season.

Officials say the increased Summer services to major Canadian centres and the addition of Porter Airlines also bodes well for the second quarter.

mylesmalley
May 7, 2010, 7:22 PM
Figured I'd post this here first!

Malley Industries Expansion To Be First In Dieppe Industrial Park Extension

DIEPPE, N.B. --- Malley Industries Inc. will be the first company to establish a facility in the newest section of the Dieppe Industrial Park.

The New Brunswick-based manufacturer of specialty vehicles has purchased a 15 acre parcel of land near the intersection of NB Highway 15 and the Trans-Canada Highway, with plans to construct a 90,000 square foot facility adjacent to the Greater Moncton International Airport. Construction is underway, with official opening slated for fall 2010.

“This new facility will enable us to consolidate our existing operations under one roof, and facilitate the growth of our plastics manufacturing as well as other areas of our business,” said Terry Malley, President & CEO.

“While we are known for our ambulances, specialized law enforcement conversions, and vehicle modifications for persons with disabilities, we have a growing demand for both vehicle components and a host of non-automotive products,” he added. “Our new facility will help us to meet those new opportunities.”

“At Malley Industries, our real strength lies in our diversification, and vision for niche market opportunities,” he said. “This new facility is a big undertaking for us, but one that will both strengthen our company, and provide increased employment within New Brunswick in the manufacturing sector for years to come.”

Malley Industries moved to its primary location to Dieppe in 2004. At that time, it was producing approximately 125 vehicle conversions per year. Since then, output has risen to almost 900 vehicle conversions annually.

“We never anticipated that level of growth in such a short period of time,” added Malley. “This new facility will enable us to build on our strengths in the automotive industry and diversify into other sectors. A larger operation will make it possible for us to take on bigger projects that we’ve not been able to accommodate due to lack of capacity.”

“We are excited about the new opportunities this facility will open up and are proud to be expanding in New Brunswick,” he concluded. “We believe this new section of the Dieppe Industrial Park is the ideal location for our continued growth.”

The company plans to sell its 30,000 square foot facility on Ferdinand Blvd. in Dieppe and its property at 212 Halifax St. in Moncton.

I'll post pictures and renderings as soon as I get them :tup:

MonctonRad
May 7, 2010, 9:32 PM
"we have a growing demand for both vehicle components and a host of non-automotive products,”

Gee Myles, sounds like the start of a new Magna empire. You'll have to change your "handle" to MylesStronach!! :D

C_Boy
May 7, 2010, 10:24 PM
Figured I'd post this here first!

Malley Industries Expansion To Be First In Dieppe Industrial Park Extension

I'll post pictures and renderings as soon as I get them :tup:

http://www.iWebPhoto.com/iWebPhoto_free_upload_photo/222599/Album1/Malleys.jpg
Photo credit: News 91.9

I would have thought you had better sources than I had on this particular file :haha:

JHikka
May 7, 2010, 11:12 PM

Headline from today: Casino Profits means your Losses

Generic Saint John answer:

Is the Times & Transcript owned by Irving? Yes.
Is the Casino owned by Irving, or do they have any stake in it at all? No.

--

Seriously though, from what i'm hearing down here, that Casino's going to be costing the city a lot of money, and it will be losing money annually. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :shrug:

MonctonRad
May 8, 2010, 2:38 AM
http://www.iwebphoto.com/iWebPhoto_free_upload_photo/222599/Album1/Malleys.jpg

Thats a nice looking building Myles. How visible will it be from highway 15 or highway 2?

:tup:

mylesmalley
May 8, 2010, 3:42 AM
Mostly 15, but from 2 as well. It's right at the corner.

MonctonRad
May 8, 2010, 12:14 PM
Interesting...........I just read on the Saint John thread about the new Canadian Tire that they are going to be building on the west side there, and the post stated that all new Canadian Tire stores will have a Marks Work Warehouse outlet; either as an adjacent standalone store or as in in-store outlet.

This jives with previous rumours on our thread of a Marks in Findlay Park. We know about a new Canadian Tire store planned for there. I guess the only question left is whether or not it will be a standalone store. :tup:

mylesmalley
May 8, 2010, 1:09 PM
http://www.iWebPhoto.com/iWebPhoto_free_upload_photo/222599/Album1/Malleys.jpg

I would have thought you had better sources than I had on this particular file :haha:

I'm a little spooked you have that picture. I was there as well, I just didn't have a cable to get anything off my phone. Should've introduced yourself!

mylesmalley
May 8, 2010, 2:17 PM
Re: The casino being a drain on the city

Seems to me that the article went at length to show potential costs, but didn't do the same for potential benefits. While the casino itself may not generate a huge amount of property taxes, it's already proven to be stimulating growth in the area. Not to mention the whole tourist area on the hill will benefit from having the extra tourists on site.

Moreover, I think some of their costs are a bit off. When the casino in Halifax opened the city hired quite a few new cops. But my understanding is that they let most of them go because the increase in crime just didnt' come. While it'll certainly take more effort to police it, will it really necessitate that many more officers? I doubt it.

As for public transit. Really? When has council ever considered public transit when approving a project in Moncton.

drewber
May 8, 2010, 5:32 PM
Re: The casino being a drain on the city

Seems to me that the article went at length to show potential costs, but didn't do the same for potential benefits. While the casino itself may not generate a huge amount of property taxes, it's already proven to be stimulating growth in the area. Not to mention the whole tourist area on the hill will benefit from having the extra tourists on site.

Moreover, I think some of their costs are a bit off. When the casino in Halifax opened the city hired quite a few new cops. But my understanding is that they let most of them go because the increase in crime just didnt' come. While it'll certainly take more effort to police it, will it really necessitate that many more officers? I doubt it.

As for public transit. Really? When has council ever considered public transit when approving a project in Moncton.

On the note of public transit codiac transit does have, in theory, a plan for the casino. A bus that will run from the airport all the way up to the casino replacing the existing express system...granted the extra time for the run will require a bus running every 10 minutes or so but I think they still have plans for this to be up and running this summer.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7319/newexpress.jpg

mylesmalley
May 8, 2010, 7:09 PM
where did you find that map? it looks to be very up to date.

MonctonRad
May 8, 2010, 8:35 PM
Slightly abridged from today's T&T

Future continues to look bright for GMIA
Published Saturday May 8th, 2010

First-quarter passenger and air cargo traffic results show growth
By Aloma Jardine
Times & Transcript Staff

The Greater Moncton International Airport is one of the region's success stories and it doesn't look like it's about to lower the bar anytime soon.

The airport's first-quarter results showed both passenger and air cargo traffic up over the same period last year and GMIA president and CEO Rob Robichaud says this may be a banner year for passenger traffic in particular.

"We're tracking toward the 2008 figure that set a record and we may actually establish a new record for 2010 with the addition of Porter Airlines," he says.

Porter will begin offering flights to Ottawa continuing on to Toronto City Centre on June 25.

Passenger traffic for January through March was up 12 per cent over the same period last year.

Robichaud attributes the increase to people getting back to travelling after a year of cutting back on their budgets.

He says the first quarter is traditionally one where the airline industry does not make a lot of money.

"For the first quarter to have numbers like that bodes well for the second quarter," he says.

The airport's air cargo business has also started to rebound after a difficult 2009.

"The worldwide markets for cargo really took a beating in late 2009 and we weren't spared that drop," Robichaud says, adding they were down about 10 per cent during that period, so to see any growth at all is a positive sign.

The air cargo business was up four per cent in the first quarter over the same period in 2009, but March was the real stand out, with business up 24.4 per cent over the same period the year before.

"That was a huge jump for March, it was something we weren't expecting," Robichaud says. "We could see ourselves toward the end of 2009 starting to come out of the bottom of the curve, but it was very miniscule change. That March number really jumped out at us."

Whatever formula the GMIA has found, it seems to be working.

Between 1997 and 2008, air passenger traffic at the airport more than doubled, from 240,000 passengers a year to 573,000 passengers a year. That number dropped a little in 2009 to 515,000 passengers, but Robichaud is expecting it to rebound this year.

"In 1999 we were contributing $78 million to the local economy and were responsible for 500 jobs," he says.

A study done a couple of years ago found the airport was contributing $378 million to the economy and was responsible for creating 1,500 jobs.

"That alone tells you there has been some tremendous impact," Robichaud says.

The fact that the airport has thrived and grown over the past 10 years or so is even more impressive when you consider the obstacles the air industry has faced in that time period.

"If we look at the last 10 years I don't think there has been a year, certainly two years that have gone by without something that man has thrown at us or Mother Nature," Robichaud says. "And if it isn't a man-made disaster, it is regulation and extra security measures.

"It is a tribute to the airlines and air transportation industry that we've been able to hang in there and continue to grow."

Robichaud believes passenger traffic will continue to grow at the airport, though he believes it will hit a plateau at some point because there are only so many people around.

"But let me just speculate," he says. "At 625,000 passengers we have to start looking at expanding the terminal building because by the time we reach 750,000 we have to have the new infrastructure in place."

Moncton is second to Halifax in terms of air cargo by a slim margin, but is far ahead of the third busiest air cargo hub, Saint John.

Robichaud believes it is a sector the airport needs to put more focus on in the years ahead.

"We have somewhat neglected it in the last 10 years, but it is a very important revenue stream for us. It helps with the new infrastructure that will help with both cargo and passenger traffic," he says. "To ignore that is to do so at our peril."

Robichaud says the key will be international cargo.

"International air cargo is so vital to the success of this region," he says. "The first challenge is to change a paradigm that has been in existence for nearly 50 years.

"50 per cent of Canada's seafood exports come out of the Atlantic Canada region, but 80 per cent of those go to other airports, Boston, Toronto, New York, a little bit in Halifax. People are shipping it out of our region because they don't have reliable, scheduled lift into the European market. We are working to change that."

Indeed, Robichaud says they are in early talks to bring in an international carrier, though it remains to be seen if those discussions will come to fruition.

Personal note: The GMIA has pretty consistently seen passenger nunbers between 550-575,000/year for the last several years. With the addition of Porter and with expanding charter service, it wouldn't be a stretch to see passenger loads exceeding 600,000/yr. That's getting pretty close to the threshold where they would consider expansion of the terminal. Also, I think it's a wise move on Dieppe's part to expand their industrial park into lands adjacent to the airport. If direct tarmac access were available, some air related industries might find this quite appealing.:tup:

MonctonRad
May 8, 2010, 8:42 PM
Café Codiac looks for java success
Published Saturday May 8th, 2010
BY JACQUES GALLANT
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

A familiar face for the past eight years at his own espresso stand at the Moncton Farmer's Market, 23-year-old Caley Montague is now branching out to open his very own café on the corner of Mount Royal and St. George Boulevard. But there is something special about Café Codiac: the coffee offered inside is not only divine, but the beans originating from the four corners of the Earth are all roasted and blended on site.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=495132&size=600x0
Café Codiac is now open in the former Alcool NB Liquor store on the corner of St. George Boulevard and Mount Royal Boulevard.

Hot caffeinated beverages are no stranger to Caley; he was raised in the coffee business. He is the son of the proprietors of Down East Coffee, a Notre-Dame-de-Kent-based enterprise renowned for its coffee blends. They also supply the beans at Café Codiac.

"I've been making espresso since I was 10," recounts Caley, visibly proud of the sudden popularity of his new venture, which just opened on Thursday.

Customers will especially enjoy the Down East Coffee products, already exceedingly popular in the Moncton area, with blends also being found at Café Cognito on Main Street and the Farmer's Market. Caley indicates his parents are proud of him.

"They're really excited. They basically said one day that they had got a new building and were looking to expand and asked if wanted to lease it. I took it right away."

A particular point of pride for the owner is the fact that his café appears to be the only independent drive-thru in the city.

"It gives Moncton and the area a spot where people can feel welcome and have a sense of belonging. We haven't even put up the signs yet and already we've had a great response from people," he says.

In Caley's eyes, supporting local businesses is incredibly important.

"It's great to see people moving away from the large coffee chains and coming here," he says. "We do all the roasting and the blending right here, so the coffee's always fresh. And I also want to keep all the money in the community, so all of our baked goods come from local businesses."

C_Boy
May 8, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm a little spooked you have that picture. I was there as well, I just didn't have a cable to get anything off my phone. Should've introduced yourself!

Actually I was not there, I just got the picture off of the News 91.9 Website. Ooops! Now that I think of it, I did not put the credit to that photo. My mistake I will change that now! HAHA :haha:

riverviewer
May 9, 2010, 1:20 PM
A bus that will run from the airport all the way up to the casino replacing the existing express system

An enhancement to the that new route may be a diversion to the new Acadian Bus terminal. That way travellers would have cheap two way connections between the VIA train station, bus and airport.

drewber
May 9, 2010, 4:28 PM
where did you find that map? it looks to be very up to date.
This was posted by Codiac Transit back in November when they were doing there yearly review of services and improvements needed. From what I have read and from what drivers have told me these changes, including the new downtown hub for the buses, should be implemented this summer. Granted it may not be until late July/early August.

An enhancement to the that new route may be a diversion to the new Acadian Bus terminal. That way travellers would have cheap two way connections between the VIA train station, bus and airport.

Good plan...though where are they placing the new acadian terminal? from what i have heard they are looking to bypass main street for the buses as it is just too busy so the hub would be somewhere near king st and the buses would take st.george to get to other areas of town or mountain rd depending on which bus you end up taking. But they would eliminate main st completely. In my opinion main street is too small for the public transit to be going down constantly. Drop people off on either end and let them walk...we are all too lazy now a days anyhow :jester:

mylesmalley
May 9, 2010, 8:40 PM
This was posted by Codiac Transit back in November when they were doing there yearly review of services and improvements needed. From what I have read and from what drivers have told me these changes, including the new downtown hub for the buses, should be implemented this summer. Granted it may not be until late July/early August.

I was referring to the base map itself, although it's good to know they're being proactive about dealing with shifting demand.

homebody
May 9, 2010, 11:54 PM
Just been reading what was said about the airport numbers exceeding all expectations. I wish that that you people up there in Moncton would get your heads out of the sand and realize that by Porter flying into Moncton doesn't mean an increase in passinger numbers. Did you ever stop to realize that they will probably draw from existing airlines that already serve GMIA. You can only draw so many people from other centres in the province, and I think that number has been reached already. Maybe next year you might see Westjet decrease scheduled service becouse people have been drawn away from there service. Lets face it apart from New York You can get to all places in the country from Saint John and Fredericton. The people willing to make the trip up there have reaced its limit. The other people are just not willing to do it

mylesmalley
May 10, 2010, 12:07 AM
Woah. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

While there may well be some redistribution in flights from the other airlines, adding another airline to an airport doesn't mean that the ones already there will suffer because of it. Better service makes an airport more enticing to travellers. It might seem inconsequential, but having a company flying directly into downtown Toronto will probably hurt flights out of the Fredericton and Saint John airports moreso than WestJet and AC in Moncton. Personally, I'd much sooner take the hour and a half drive to Moncton if I were heading downtown on business than flying into Mississauga and commuting/renting a car to get downtown.

Not to mention this Porter flight includes a stop in Ottawa, which is a direct link to a new market which I believe we don't have yet.

MonctonRad
May 10, 2010, 12:56 AM

Relax Myles, if you look at the posts by this guy on the Moncton forum in the past, you can tell he's got a HUGE chip on his shoulder about our fair city. Not one positive comment ever. Don't give him the time of day.

Just check out his "location"...........it says it all in spades!!

mylesmalley
May 10, 2010, 1:00 AM
You're right MonctonRad. I meant that in jest.

But in all fairness, I think it was worth bringing it up. It isn't a zero sum game with passengers and airlines.

MonctonRad
May 10, 2010, 2:31 AM

Yep, Porter is a big win for the airport.

The fact that Porter flies to the Toronto Island airport is a major selling point. Combine that with a free shuttle to the Royal York Hotel, where you can easily catch the subway across the street at Union Station to anywhere in the downtown, and it becomes a very attractive option for people travelling to Toronto from all over NB and PEI.

Compare that to having to land at Pearson, and having a $60 (one way), 30-40 minute taxi ride to downtown and I think we will attract some out of towners to the GMIA.

Air Canada and WestJet will keep their flights to GMIA to service their domestic and international connections. I don't think having Porter will impact too much on their services.

NBNYer
May 10, 2010, 3:56 AM
Nice! Porter is a going to be a great addition.

I remember a heavy-duty advertising campaign from them in Montreal when I lived there. Aside from the convenience of serving the Billy-Bishop Airport in Toronto, they were mostly boasting "high-end" airline services. I've never flown with them so I don't really know what they mean by that...However, their rating on SKytrax is pretty good (4 stars), better than Air Canada.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/PD.htm

I'll try it if only for the Toronto airport convenience, which I think is great:tup: . Also, I thought we already had a direct flight to Ottawa with Air Canada, don't we?

nwalbert
May 10, 2010, 10:45 AM
To me, Porter and the flight to NYC are in the same boat. Very nice to have for the people of Moncton but not going to significantly increase the number of passengers flying in/out of the airport.

I am actually in that boat this week. I have to be in Manhattan for a meeting from 9AM-5PM on Thursday. If I lived in Moncton I could take the Continental flight in the morning and then return that evening. Perfect! From SJ I have to depart Wednesday evening, stay the night in NYC, and fly back after my meetings on Thursday. If I were to drive to Moncton to use the airport I would be staying a night in Moncton on Wednesday before the 6AM flight and Thursday after the ~11:00PM arrival. I would prefer to just fly out of SJ.

Porter has no interest to me as I a) have Super Elite status with AC and b) prefer to have a rental. For some I could see the appeal but I cant imagine anyone traveling to Moncton for it.

On the other hand I could drive to Bangor which is just an extra hour than Moncton and the flight would be $350 instead of $1500. If I was paying myself, that would be appealing to me.

As long as we have three airports and Bangor with aggressive pricing, none of the airports will have enough passengers to get convenient flights and really take a lead over the others. I know you are all going to get angry and tell me Moncton has more passengers. That is great, but form a travelers point of view, other than NYC, it doesn't offer anything that SJ and Fred doesn't. Now Halifax has a nice schedule. :)

StormShadow
May 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
The high end service Porter provides is a meal on every flight, and free espresso/coffee, internet, etc. at Billy Bishop (Porter's hub). You can't beat the convenience of this airport, especially if you live within walking distance:D

The only thing to consider when you book with Porter is that the planes can't land on the island after 10 pm. So if your flight is supposed to arrive at 9:30 pm, and gets delayed- you could be diverted in mid-flight out to Pearson, like what happened to me! LOL

corda
May 10, 2010, 2:31 PM
I'll try it if only for the Toronto airport convenience, which I think is great:tup: . Also, I thought we already had a direct flight to Ottawa with Air Canada, don't we?

For Air Canada it's an on again, off again route (currently back on for 2010.)

MonctonRad
May 10, 2010, 2:42 PM
For Air Canada it's an on again, off again route (currently back on for 2010.)

To be precise, I believe the AC service to Ottawa is seasonal and is not offered in the wintertime.

FireEyedBoy
May 11, 2010, 2:50 PM
The sign is up for a new vietnemese resturant at the former massage parlour building. renovations are underway now. And noticed they are putting up shelving at the new grocery store in the former Church store on St George.

gehrhardt
May 11, 2010, 3:50 PM
Published Tuesday May 11th, 2010
A5
Times & Transcript Staff

The City of Moncton needs your help developing a vision of how Moncton can become more sustainable environmentally, socially, culturally and economically.

A public workshop will be held tomorrow night, Wednesday, May 12, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the city hall lobby.

Moving from the assumption sustainability is “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs,” the purpose of the workshop is to discuss a number of questions with other community members, such as, “What is sustainability? What is Moncton like today? How would a sustainable Moncton be different in the future? What can you do to help Moncton become more sustainable?” The workshop results will be used to help develop a Moncton sustainable vision statement and set of corresponding goals that will be the foundation of the Moncton ICSP.

Please RSVP to Holly Mc- Mackin of Dillon Consulting at (506) 633-5000 or hmcmackin@ dillon.ca. Please indicate whether you would like to participate in French or in English.

This seems right up this forum's alley!

mylesmalley
May 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Anyone make it out? I had to be in Halifax.

MonctonRad
May 13, 2010, 10:42 PM

Too busy I'm afraid.

On an aside, the traffic at Wheeler and Mapleton is just nuts now, they are starting to widen the intersection next to Costco in preparation to connect up to the widened overpass over Wheeler.

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run but I would encourage anyone who has an option to avoid this area like the plague for the time being!

MonctonRad
May 14, 2010, 12:59 AM
'New' Kiwanis Park almost ready for action
Published Thursday May 13th, 2010

Baseball should be underway by first week of June
By Tom Biggs
Times & Transcript Staff

If everything goes according to plan, the new improved Kiwanis Park baseball facility will be ready for play in about three weeks' time.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=498213&size=800x0
It may look like the old ball field, but Kiwanis Park has been completely rebuilt, right down to the dirt underneath it all.

Regarded as the best baseball park east of Montreal prior to $2 million worth of improvements over the past year, Kiwanis Park now stands even taller.

Rod Higgins, Moncton's assistant general manager for recreation, parks and culture, said this week the work at the site has been moving along at a great pace and the park should be ready for baseball by the first week of June.

The huge renovations at Kiwanis got underway late last summer and, because of favourable weather conditions last fall, work crews were able to level and sod the entire outfield before the snow and cold weather took hold.

An early spring with sunny and relatively dry weather has helped the grass take hold and green up.

The result, said Higgins, is a beautiful natural grass outfield with an all-important improved drainage system.

The infield, meanwhile, was rebuilt with artificial turf, similar to the surface at Rocky Stone Memorial Field in Centennial Park.

"The park is coming along really well," Higgins said. "I think everybody will be impressed with it."

Among the many other major improvements made at Kiwanis are new outfield fences, pitching and practice mounds, lights and a newly-constructed building that will house public washrooms, team dressing rooms, a minor baseball office and press box.

Although the seating capacity has been reduced from 4,500 to 2,500, the new metal bleachers have been installed and are expected to be more comfortable for the fans.

Dimensions for the playing field have been altered slightly but basically they remain the same.

Right field has been extended from 315 to 328 feet, left field has been reduced from 350 to 328 feet and centre field will remain at about 370 feet. The alleys are about 340 feet.

Meanwhile, long-time Moncton Minor Baseball president Paul (Tubby) Melanson is equally impressed as the new Kiwanis Park takes shape.

"The playing field is out of this world," Melanson said. "It's beautiful ... when everything is finally completed both the players and fans should really like what they see."

Melanson says once the facility is ready to go, it should take a lot of the pressure off some of the other fields in the area.

Last summer, the senior, junior and midget teams had to play elsewhere (mostly in Riverview) while Kiwanis Park began its transformation.

In anticipation of opening in about three weeks time, Higgins, the contractor (Newco Construction), the architect and some members of Higgins staff will do a walk-about today to look the ballpark over.

Higgins said the tour of the facility will hopefully find out any deficiencies that may exist and then be corrected.

mylesmalley
May 14, 2010, 1:40 AM
Thought I'd post these:

http://www.mylesmalley.ca/uploads/malley3.png

http://www.mylesmalley.ca/uploads/malley1.jpg

Shameless plug, I know :jester:

Construction is already underway. In ten weeks, the full structure will be up. We plan on moving in by the end of October. Total size, 90,000 sq ft.

I'm posting regular updates on our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/malleyindustries) page, in case anyone is interested.

MonctonRad
May 14, 2010, 1:58 AM

If you own that whole parcel of land, it looks like you have lots of room to grow!

Looking good. :tup:

MonctonRad
May 15, 2010, 11:42 PM
Airport ready to rebound
Published Saturday May 15th, 2010

Greater Moncton International Airport President and CEO says future looks bright
By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff

Greater Moncton International Airport president and CEO Rob Robichaud admits 2009 wasn't a banner year for the airport, but he is pleased with how his team dealt with the adverse economic conditions which plagued the entire industry.

"In relative terms, the Greater Moncton International Airport fared as well, if not better, than many airports of similar size, not only in Atlantic Canada, but across Canada and across the world," Robichaud said yesterday at the airport's annual general meeting.

"We were able to mitigate the impact of losing nearly 60,000 customers and, in the end, realize a fairly positive year, in spite of all the economic challenges we faced. In short, it could have been a lot worse."

Robichaud was part of a contingent who addressed staff, politicians, media and observers yesterday afternoon at the airport.

He noted that passenger numbers dropped from about 573,000 in 2008 to just over 515,000 in 2009, a 10.2 per cent decrease. Air cargo volumes also decreased by 10 per cent, from roughly 24,000 tonnes in 2008 to 22,000 tonnes in 2009.

"While I don't want to dwell on history, I would much prefer to move forward, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that 2009 was not a totally doom and gloom year," Robichaud said. He noted that despite the decreases, operations in 2009 saw a net earnings of over $1.7 million, although that number was down from almost $2.5 million the year before.

The president also said that the airport is well positioned for 2010.

"Air cargo studies have identified -- for all the right reasons -- that the GMIA and the Greater Moncton region is the location on which to build Atlantic Canada's air cargo industry, or as we like to say, its Centre of Logistical Excellence," he said, noting that gains in passenger services will also be a top priority going forward.

"For example, a direct flight to Newfoundland remains a very high priority for us, as does more frequent and new routes to the United States."

In the first quarter of 2010, passenger traffic is up more than 12 per cent over 2009.

Robichaud said the airport has budgeted a seven per cent growth for passenger traffic in 2010, which they expect to scale upward, thanks in part to the recent announcement of more flights through Porter Airlines.

The anticipated growth for air cargo in 2010 is two per cent and, "most importantly, we are forecasting a 26 per cent increased net income over 2009," Robichaud said.

Although 2009 saw a net decrease on the Greater Moncton Airport's bottom line when factoring in financing and investing, the organization's finances are in good shape, according to Jack Low, secretary-treasurer of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority.

"While our working capital position as of December 31, 2009 continues to be a negative, we have a significant and positive cash position of $6 million, which includes both operating and air fund," he said.

Low also noted that due to significant repayment of bank loans in 2009, the airport's principal debt payments due in 2010 are $600,000 less than they were in 2009.

"Our community is growing and becoming more colourful, beautiful and full of culture. When our community grows, we learn more about different traditions," he said. "Our airport will never let you down. The workers always have smiles on their faces, the service is unmatchable and the flights unforgettable. With this caring personality, you'll always make the right choice when choosing this airport."

Personal note: For a short time when CanJet was still a scheduled airline, we did have a direct route to St. John's. It was quite popular and profitable. I think Porter could be talked into this.......perhaps a St. John's-Moncton-Toronto route to complement the Moncton-Ottawa-Toronto route. :)

MonctonRad
May 16, 2010, 1:08 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the late evening traffic on Mountain Road beyond Wheeler Blvd. seems noticeably heavier to me since the opening of the casino.

A coincidence.............I think not! :rolleyes:

C_Boy
May 16, 2010, 3:54 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the late evening traffic on Mountain Road beyond Wheeler Blvd. seems noticeably heavier to me since the opening of the casino.

A coincidence.............I think not! :rolleyes:

Yeah it has big time. I live out that way and have to travel that very spot every day. It started to pick up with construction of course but when I went by the opening day at 1:30 (opening at 2:00) it was PACKED and so was the northbound left turning lane and the exit going strait into the Casino. Figuring after a few days and that week end things would calm down well I was wrong. It is still packed from all hours of the day!

I guess I have accepted the fact that the casino is out there but imagine if those people were downtown!!!

MonctonRad
May 16, 2010, 5:07 PM
Yeah it has big time. I live out that way and have to travel that very spot every day. It started to pick up with construction of course but when I went by the opening day at 1:30 (opening at 2:00) it was PACKED and so was the northbound left turning lane and the exit going strait into the Casino. Figuring after a few days and that week end things would calm down well I was wrong. It is still packed from all hours of the day!

Yeah, I thought the novelty would have worn off by now too, but it hasn't........I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing! :shrug:

I guess I have accepted the fact that the casino is out there but imagine if those people were downtown!!!

Yes, I'm resigned to it's present location too but truthfully, I'm not sure that having it downtown would have translated into more restaurant and pub business in any event.........a new downtown arena would have more of an impact in that regard anyway. :banana:

David_99
May 16, 2010, 8:39 PM
I'm not sure that having it downtown would have translated into more restaurant and pub business in any event.........a new downtown arena would have more of an impact in that regard anyway. :banana:

Which means they'll probably build it next to the airport...

mylesmalley
May 16, 2010, 10:02 PM
Or on 100 acres of pasture south of Lower Coverdale :jester:

C_Boy
May 17, 2010, 9:17 PM
Well the lone house on the corner of Gordon and High street (The proposed Robichaud development) caught on fire. Coincidence ? lol. Seeing this reminded me, has anyone heard of that development or the other one on Main st? I want to see renderings!!!

MonctonRad
May 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cats need a bigger rink: Robert Irving
Published Monday May 17th, 2010

Wildcats owner Robert Irving says enthusiastic Metro crowds would fill 10,000-seat venue for sports and other events

BRANDON, Man. - The Moncton Wildcats aren't interested in staging another Memorial Cup at the Moncton Coliseum.

"The city needs a new stadium to host an event such as this in order to meet all the requirements and put on the best possible show for the Canadian Hockey League," said Wildcats owner Robert Irving. "I think 10,000 seats would be the right size and it should be located downtown.

"I think it would revitalize downtown and put life back there. It would be great with people coming to visit the city for big events and spending money in the hotels, restaurants, stores and so forth. I think there would be tremendous benefits for the community with a new downtown stadium."

Irving spoke on this subject while watching his club play at the 2010 Memorial Cup in Brandon, Man.

Moncton lost its opening two games, falling 5-4 to the Calgary Hitmen on Saturday and 4-0 to the Brandon Wheat Kings yesterday.

The Wildcats are backed into a corner and need a win in their final round robin game to stay alive.

They will face the defending Memorial Cup champion Windsor Spitfires tomorrow at 9 p.m. in a game that's broadcast nationally on Rogers Sportsnet.

Moncton hosted the 2006 Memorial Cup and it was a major success with all sellout crowds, lots of community events and street festivals, huge souvenir sales and general hype throughout the region. Oh yeah, we also set a tournament record for beer sales.

There were only two sore spots. The Wildcats lost in the championship game and the Moncton Coliseum with its poor ventilation was sweltering hot in late May.

"It was a great time for the city, a great time for our organization and the fan support was second to none," said Irving.

"We received accolades from a lot of people across Canada in terms of how pleased they were with the way the event was run and how they were treated in Moncton.

"It was tremendous for Moncton's profile. The CHL has 60 teams in Canada and the United States so the exposure of hosting the Memorial Cup is great and something you can't buy. It was great for our region."

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's next turn to host the Memorial Cup is in 2012. The Saint John Sea Dogs, Halifax Mooseheads, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Shawinigan Cataractes have already said they plan to submit a bid.

Moncton is a modern city that's undergone tremendous growth on many fronts in the past 20 years, but the Moncton Coliseum is clearly outdated. The need for a new downtown stadium has gained momentum with support both at the city level and within the community.

"I think if all the parties -- the city, the province and federal government -- can get together on this project there will be the willpower to find a way to make it happen," said Irving. "The Moncton Coliseum is 40 years old.

"I think it's time for a new downtown stadium. If you want to stage top level events whether it's hockey or whatever, you need to have the right facility to do that. We're seeing now that the Moncton Coliseum (with its 6,802 capacity for hockey) isn't able to hold the crowds that we can bring out.

"I think a good example was (in the QMJHL final) against Saint John. Definitely, we could've had over 10,000 fans at those games with a bigger building. The enthusiasm and fan support was second to none."

Moncton will receive nine hours of national television coverage during the round robin at the 2010 Memorial Cup. There could be more depending on how far the Wildcats go in the tournament.

That's great exposure for Moncton and New Brunswick. It also enhances the profile of the Wildcats, the QMJHL's most successful club over the past seven seasons in terms of championship series appearances with three and average points per season with 90.

The Wildcats have won two QMJHL championships and they're now making their second Memorial Cup appearance in five seasons. That's something that should help them in player recruitment.

"I think anybody who gets involved in sports wants to play for a winner and an organization that's committed to winning," said Irving. "We've had the best record in the league over the past seven seasons.

"I also believe that a new stadium would allow us a better environment to attract top players and a better environment for fans to enjoy the game. We would set up the facility such that our dressing room, training room and everything is top rate."

* Neil Hodge is a Times & Transcript sports reporter who covers the Moncton Wildcats.

Personal note: I think it is very true that the chances of Moncton holding another event like the Memoial Cup or the World Men's Curling Championship are virtually nil without a new arena. Let's git 'er done!!

MonctonRad
May 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
Study touts Metro's health sector

Life sciences could be next economic wave in Moncton
By James Foster
Times & Transcript Staff

The health sector can do for Metro Moncton what the customer-contact industry did two decades ago, perhaps even more so, a new report says.

"This is the fastest growing sector in Canada," John Thompson, CEO of Enterprise Greater Moncton, says.

"Our status right now is that we're really well positioned to take advantage of what we have now."

It is not well known that today in Metro Moncton there are more than 7,100 people working in the health and life-sciences sector and related positions. These are generally high-end careers and many of these enterprises attract outside investment to the local economy -- the best kind of economic development.

The sector is growing despite New Brunswick attracting $20 per capita in research and development money annually. The Canadian average is $121 per capita.

The report, prepared for EGM by Jupia Consultants, lays the groundwork for growing the sector to its potential. Now the real work must begin to accomplish exactly that, Thompson says.

Metro Moncton boasts a high concentration of health-sector workers; there are 40 college and university study programs in the sector here now; there's a new medical training school; 200 high-level researchers work here which is the largest concentration in the province; 100 companies are involved in health and life sciences; two hospitals are heavily involved in teaching and research, and that's just scratching the surface.

Metro Moncton is often cited as the lowest-cost business location on the northeastern seaboard of North America with low taxes, good infrastructure and a good workforce.

However, the report shows most of this activity operates in isolation from each other, that there are no co-ordinated efforts to boost the sector for the good of all. There is intense competition from other jurisdictions for research and development dollars.

Access to capital to create new firms in the sector and to grow existing success stories is tough -- it is thought by some that the sector here is just too small to warrant significant investment.

Working together can allay that and allow us to fish for a bigger catch in a larger pond, says Marcel Gervais, owner of DDx Health Strategies Inc. of Moncton, which is a health care-oriented knowledge and information management organization whose clients include seven of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies in the world.

Gervais recalls moving here from Toronto 15 years ago, lured by the excellent and relatively cheap telecommunications infrastructure, only to be surprised at the level of activity already in his sector.

"The thing that really blew me away was the breadth and the depth of experience here in the health-care field," Gervais said at Friday's launch of the report, dubbed Greater Moncton Health and Life Sciences Industry Development Road Map.

Significant growth can only happen when public and private sector organizations get together on a co-ordinated effort, the report states. There is no common development focus at present.

The report recommends that EGM and a new company, created locally and to be unveiled in June known as Tech South East, work co-operatively to develop specific strategies towards growth, so the sector will have a well-tuned, finely-focused blueprint for the future while EGM will continue to focus on promoting the region's low-cost, manpower, infrastructure and other advantages globally.

Personal note: As a health care worker I can vouch for this article. The medical community in this city is large and powerful. I have always been very impressed and proud of the quality of the health care workforce in Moncton. There is not much done in Halfax that isn't done here, and in a couple of areas, the equipment and expertise is better here than in the Nova Scotia capital. With the U de M medical training program and with the Moncton Hospital participating in the UNBSJ program, medical education and research will take off in the city. This will be an important growth sector for the city.

MonctonRad
May 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
Dieppe sets building permit record for April
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

The City of Dieppe's Building Inspection Sector has issued a record total of 109 permits last month. These permits were valued at $9,533,011 with a total of 79 units. The dwelling sector has dominated with 99 permits whose value exceeded over $9 million.

"Last month was quite extraordinary for our municipality," said Mayor Jean LeBlanc. "We are right in the middle of a full expansion and the number of permits issued is a prime example of it. Dieppe is without a doubt a well thought-out choice for those wanting to find a home and do business."

To date, 171 permits were issued with a total of 130 units valued at $15,859,754. At the same time last year, Dieppe had issued 97 permits for 57 units.

mylesmalley
May 18, 2010, 2:03 AM
Good news across the board today! I always knew the health sector was large in the city, but seeing it listed like that really hits it home. 7100 employees directly involved is around 10% of the regional workforce, and that doesn't even include related and support jobs. Nothing to scoff at.

It's very encouraging to hear an Irving coming out in support of a new arena. Big support from big names is going to be critical going forward. It gives the project a ton of credibility, and the potential for financial support makes it seem that much more viable.

As for the Robichaud projects... I havent' heard anything in more than a year. I don't think any work has been done on either property downtown since the Dominion St block was razed. I hope those projects aren't shelved permanently.

Sony500
May 18, 2010, 5:03 PM
Downtown Moncton to get $10M condo
80-unit condominium, commercial development to be built on Main St. just outside of Dieppe

Published Tuesday November 4th, 2008
C2, By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

Moncton's downtown is poised to get just the sort of eastern gateway it has been seeking for years. Moncton's city council divulged last night that an 80-unit, high-rise condominium and commercial development will be built on land at 299 Main Street, between the Staples store and Harper Street.

The news became public after council voted yesterday in private session to sell the city-owned land to developer Valmond Robichaud for $204,000. The decision was inspired by the fact the city will receive $250,000 per year in property tax from the completed development and because the proposed development is in keeping with the city's established development plan for the area.

Robichaud, whose past projects include the Manoir Notre Dame and adjacent Robichaud Apartments complex of seniors housing on Moncton's Murphy Avenue, is expected to spend about $10 million on the downtown project. Expected to be six or seven storeys high, the building will also have an estimated 15,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor.

A community created vision for downtown development in 2006 called for the land in question to be used in just such a way.

"Frankly if we could find a way to have more development of this type in the downtown, we would benefit tremendously," Mayor George LeBlanc said as council publicly ratified the decision.

Under the deal, the developer will have 24 months to complete the project or else the contract of purchase and sale will be nullified. Typical in such contracts however, it would be council's option to extend the development deadline if it saw fit. Council was also told the contract will require the building be completed in substantial conformity with the plans that were presented to council.

This was posted on Nov 4, 2008, I think 24 months is just about up!

MonctonRad
May 18, 2010, 8:43 PM

Yes, it seems like it should be go-time, at least for the development on East Main Street. The two year window to start this development is running out and the building season is under way.........so why is everything so quiet?

I imagine this is one of the developments that Mayor LeBlanc was alluding to last week. Perhaps he knows something that we don't. :rolleyes:

C_Boy
May 19, 2010, 12:36 AM

I wonder where, now correct me if I'm wrong but I believe his handle was Churchill? He was the son of Valmond Robichaud. He kinda disapeared. Where are you, we want info!!!! LOL :banana:

MonctonRad
May 19, 2010, 10:26 PM
Main St. to get facelift
Published Wednesday May 19th, 2010

Brick crosswalks will be replaced as street repaved in time for Atlantic Nationals in July
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT staff

Work will begin this weekend to tear up the decorative brick crosswalks and repave Main Street in a project that should be completed in time to greet hundreds of classic cars when they come to Moncton for the Atlantic Nationals in July.

City engineer Alcide Richard said the project will resurface Main Street from Mechanic Street (near City Hall) to Vaughn Harvey Boulevard. The majority of the work will be done over the next few weekends to minimize the effect of closing Main Street, which handles about 30,000 cars a day.

Richard said the work will begin this weekend. Main Street will be closed off Saturday and Sunday from Mechanic Street to the Subway. The brick crosswalks along Main Street will be removed and the milling machine set in motion to remove 40 millimetres of asphalt.

Work on paving Main Street will continue the week of May 24-28 with partial closures of the street to allow only one lane of traffic.

On the weekend of May 29-30, Main Street will be completely closed off again for paving of Mechanic Street to the Subway between Archibald and Bonaccord Streets.

Vehicle traffic will be diverted around Main Street during the closures, but pedestrian traffic will continue. Richard said city engineering staff and the contractor agreed that working through the weekends will minimize the impact of a full street closure and allow the work to be finished over a shorter period of time. He said Main Street was too narrow to safely allow closure of just one side of the street, so they decided to close it all off for the weekends. The paving schedule is dependant on weather, since it goes best when it is warm and dry. He said having the crews work on weekends does not increase the cost of the contract to the city.

The decorative brick crosswalks, about 12 of them in all, will be torn out and replaced with asphalt covered with a special reflective material at crossings along Main Street. Richard said the brick crosswalks are difficult to repair and expensive to maintain. With so many cars passing over them, the bricks become uneven and dislodged and it takes several days to repair damage. He said asphalt will be more cost-effective and the reflective material will make the crosswalks more visible and safer for pedestrians.

Richard said the repaving on Main Street should be complete in time for a busy summer in Moncton.

The Atlantic Nationals will be held July 8-11 and is expected to draw thousands of show cars and hot rods to Main Street. On that weekend, thousands of people are expected to flood the downtown as Main Street is closed off for the big show and shine and downtown street party.

The IAAF world Junior Championships will be held July 19-20 with athletes, visitors and media from 170 countries coming to Moncton. The Delta Beauséjour Hotel, located on Main Street, will be the nerve centre of the event.

And thousands of people are expected to converge on Moncton again on Sept. 26 as the city hosts a CFL game between the Toronto Argonauts and Edmonton Eskimos.

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 11:43 AM
WestJet to cut flights
Published Thursday May 20th, 2010

Daily Moncton-Hamilton run no longer financially viable
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

WestJet Airlines will cancel its daily flight from Moncton to Hamilton at the end of October because the route is not making enough money, a company spokesman said last night.

"It's a regrettable decision but the route between Hamilton and Moncton was no longer economically viable for us to continue," WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer said in a telephone interview from the company's head office in Calgary. "We've done everything we could but the numbers just aren't there for us to continue."

The cancellation will coincide with the beginning of the fall and winter schedule. Flights through the summer will continue as usual.

He said WestJet will continue to operate its daily flights between Moncton and Toronto.

News of the cancellation was delivered to WestJet employees in Moncton last night.

Palmer said WestJet has about 18 staff members in Moncton. Palmer said cancellation of the Hamilton flight will no doubt result in some staff reductions but the company did not have specific numbers last night.

He said staff members who work in the office would have the opportunity to shift to different jobs, including in-flight crews, or to transfer to other bases in the WestJet chain.

"We always take care of our people. There is no target number to get to right now, so we'll have to see over the weeks and months to come what people decide to do."

WestJet has been operating the Moncton-to-Hamilton run for about 10 years using Boeing 700 and 737-series jets that have a seating capacity of 119 and 136 respectively. Palmer would not divulge how many people actually used the service on a regular basis but agreed it was popular with people travelling to Ontario who wanted to avoid the crowds and congestion of Toronto's Pearson airport. The Hamilton airport is similar in size to Greater Moncton International Airport.

The news of WestJet's cancelling comes just as Toronto-based Porter Airlines prepares to offer flights between Moncton and the Toronto island airport. That service will begin on June 25 with two daily round trips to Toronto and Ottawa during the summer season.

Palmer said there is no real link between the start of a new service by a competitor and the cancellation of the WestJet flight.

I'm sure this does have something to do with Porter......

This was the original WestJet service to Moncton, predating WestJet's expansion into Pearson. Initially, this service was how you made connections within the WestJet system to western Canada. With the WestJet Moncton-Pearson service, this route became a little redundant. I can see why they would cut it.

Still, this means that capacity on the Moncton-GTA routes will be back to square one now, even after the addition of Porter.

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 12:00 PM
Slightly abridged from today's T&T

DFO to stay in Moncton, feds say

Officials agree department needs new home, but say new premises will be in Metro
By Aloma Jardine
Times & Transcript Staff

While it is true the Department of Fisheries and Oceans headquarters in Moncton needs a new home, that new home will be in Moncton, assures federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea and New Brunswick's regional minister, Keith Ashfield.

"With the current facility needing to be replaced in the near future, we are exploring options with PWGSC (Public Works and Government Services Canada) to ensure that we continue to deliver high quality services to the fishers of the Gulf region," Shea says in an e-mailed statement. "There is no discussion of moving the DFO office from Moncton.

"Dominic LeBlanc is once again engaged in nothing more than rumour-mongering and baseless speculation for his short-term political gain, which does nothing to serve the long-term interests of New Brunswick fishers."

LeBlanc, the MP for Beauséjour, told the Times & Transcript Tuesday that he is hearing reports the building review is just the first step toward folding DFO's Gulf region, headquartered in Moncton, into the Maritime region, headquartered in Darmouth, and moving many of the jobs out of the city.

Ashfield, the MP for Frederiction and minister of national revenue, of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and of the Atlantic Gateway, is also adamant that is not the case.

"The DFO office in Moncton will remain in Moncton. DFO will always have a presence in Moncton," he says in an e-mailed statement. "Our government knows that this office is important to the region and it will continue to serve New Brunswickers."

Public Works and Government Services Canada is currently working with DFO on a review of the building, looking at future needs, including space, health and safety, and equipment.

The current building on University Avenue was acquired by the department in 1985. The former school is more than 60 years old. Besides the issues working in an older building brings, there is also a question of space.

About 250 people work in the building, known as the Gulf Fisheries Centre. Besides the loss of good paying jobs in general, both LeBlanc and Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe MP Brian Murphy were upset by reports the city might lose any more federal jobs, an already scarce commodity in the community.

In addition to managing the fishery in the Gulf region, which covers all the waters of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, a significant amount of research is carried out at the Moncton office. It is home to one of only two labs in Canada that studies shellfish health, for example.

The high level of scientific research carried out at the centre makes it part of the hope of developing the health and life sciences industry in the region. Enterprise Greater Moncton recently released a report on the industry's potential, touting it as possibly being Moncton's next big opportunity for growth.

Although DFO's research is focused on animal and not health science, Peters says that is important to help in creating a diverse research industry.

"It helps in establishing a critical mass and showing we have a great cross section (of research)," he says. "It certainly helps from a marketing standpoint... The type of work they do, being high-paying jobs located here in Greater Moncton, is something we want to keep and see develop."

Moncton East MLA Chris Collins says the centre plays an important role not only in the developing science and technology base, but in supporting science programs at local universities like l'Université de Moncton, Mount Allison University, and Crandall University, as well as the new medical school, the Atlantic Cancer Research Institute and others.

Collins says something like the DFO headquarters helps provide the kind of high-level jobs that serve to draw university graduates back to New Brunswick or keep them here in the first place.

It also contributes to creating a critical mass of science technology jobs.

"That is what we are going towards, not towards less technology, but towards more technology," he says. "We have to continue to diversify our economy in Moncton and science and technology is a big part of that."

Collins says he hopes the rumours are, as Shea and Ashfield say, just rumours, and says he would fight any decision to move these jobs out of the community

Yesterday Dominic LeBlanc dropped a bombshell regarding this issue in the T&T, stating that the evil Haligonians were trying to steal government jobs from NB again (just like with Canadian Blood Services).

LeBlanc is trying to make political hay on this point, and appear to be the saviour of high tech bio-research jobs in southeastern NB. He is also trying to protect his fathers legacy (Romeo created the gulf fisheries centre in the first place).

Still, politics aside, where there is smoke there is often fire and it is possible that at least at some level, there was some truth to this rumoured DFO move to Halifax. It's good that the feds have given these reassurances so quickly.

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yet more pizza

N.S. pizza shop opens in Moncton

Alexandra's Pizza opened in Halifax in 1991 and is set to open first location in N.B.
By Eric Lewis
Times & Transcript Staff

A Halifax-area institution is making its first foray into New Brunswick, starting on Main Street in downtown Moncton.

Alexandra’s Pizza, a Halifax-based pizza chain is set to open its doors on Main Street soon. This will be the first Alexandra’s outside of Nova Scotia. Dimitri Neonakis is the owner of the Alexandra’s Pizza chain. Dimitri Neonakis opened the first Alexandra's Pizza on Queen Street in Halifax in 1991. Neonakis has been in the pizza business his whole life and wanted to branch out on his own. He named the business after his daughter and set out to make the best mom and pop pizza place in town.

Nearly 20 years later, the award-winning Alexandra's boasts five locations, according to the company's website, all of which are in Nova Scotia.

The Moncton location at 827 Main St. will be the first outside the province.

"I think Moncton is a great city," Neonakis says. "It's growing fast, and I see a market for (Alexandra's)."

This week, Neonakis was back in Moncton checking out his restaurant as it approaches opening date, likely sometime late next week.

Duct work is being finished and a few appliances are still needed, but the small restaurant is nearly complete.

The project is a few months behind schedule, and operating out of a heritage building has provided a few hurdles, but Neonakis says the extra work will be worth it in the end.

"In Halifax, our place has sort of become a landmark," he says.

While Alexandra's will only offer seating for about 16 people, Neonakis says his business model is based mostly on takeout and delivery.

He says the restaurant will likely employ between 10 and 20 people, depending on demand. The restaurant will open seven days a week at 11 a.m. and will be open later than most pizza places in Moncton. Demand will determine the hours for the Moncton location, but he expects to stay open until 2 a.m. on weeknights and to 4 a.m. or 5 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

While his business expands, Neonakis says quality control and commitment to making the best product is still important.

He doesn't like to use the word "franchise" to describe his business, but that's essentially what it is. Neonakis runs Alexandra's Inc., the parent company, and each individual restaurant is run by their own management team, usually a family.

The difference, Neonakis says, is quality. None of the food served at Alexandra's is pre-packaged. Fresh vegetables and meat are bought every day, he says. Even the gravy on their famous poutines and sauce on their award-winning pizzas are made from scratch daily.

"There's something romantic about a mom and pop restaurant, and we don't want to lose that," he says.

The Moncton operation will be run by David and Debbie Irving. They've been with Alexandra's in Halifax for nine years.

While there are a few details left to hammer out, Neonakis expects Alexandra's Pizza to open soon, likely late next week.

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
'Unique' footwear store open downtown
Published Wednesday May 19th, 2010

Unique European Style Footwear owners have a flair for fashion
BY ALLISON TOOGOOD
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

With its front door wide open and bright colours splashed on its walls, a Moncton boutique is inviting for all who walk by.

Karina and Ingo Flohr operate Unique European Style Footwear on Main Street. "The initial appearance is the most important thing to give to the customer," says Karina Flohr.

The boutique, lined with shelves of shoes and racks of clothes, is not your typical newly-opened business. One can feel the owners' quirky sense of style, with its metallic decorations, and especially the cushioned, high-heeled-shoe-shaped chairs.

Flohr and her husband, Ingo, own and operate Unique European Style Footwear, located at 785 Main St.

The boutique caters to both men and women. It sells footwear, clothing, and accessories. But Flohr says her store's items are not like what's at the mall.

"Our lines are imported and very unique, so our clients can be different from the rest of the crowd."

The boutique carries high quality footwear ranging from pumps to flats to loafers. Their main imports, Fly London, Bos & Co. and Eject, come from Portugal.

Flohr also carries John Fluevog, who's a Vancouver-based designer. Other specialty lines are from England.

They also import clothing from Spain and France, watches and belts from London, and their handbags from all over the U.K.

The Flohrs started a business of the same name in Sydney, Nova Scotia, three years ago. They immigrated there from Germany the year before and haven't looked back.

The move to open a second boutique is economically related.

"We noticed that Moncton is growing in everything," Flohr says, "It has lots of business people and fashionable people and I love, love, love the downtown."

Flohr and her husband trade off in Moncton and Sydney weekly to run both boutiques. They are currently still based in Sydney with their children, but hope to relocate for good.

"We want to be here permanently very soon," Flohr says.

So, a couple of new business openings on Main Street.........I guess Main Street isn't quite dead yet! :)

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 12:31 PM
Housing market strong in Moncton

Moncton had more housing starts than Fredericton and Saint John combined in April
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

Housing development remains strong in Moncton with more housing starts in April than both Fredericton and Saint John combined, according to preliminary figures released by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Moncton had a total of 88 construction starts with 67 multiple units and 21 single family dwellings going up compared to 18 multiple and 22 single units for Fredericton and two multiple and 29 single units for Saint John.

The total housing starts for New Brunswick last month was 167 compared to 162 in April 2009.

"The overall increase observed in April was the result of a 60 per cent increase in single starts in provincial urban centres," said Claude Gautreau, CMHC's senior market analyst for New Brunswick.

In April, 80 single starts were recorded in provincial urban centres compared to 50 units last year. In the year-to-date category, single starts were up 26 per cent to 191 units.

The total number of multiple unit starts last month for the province was 87, down from 112 in April 2009. The total year-to-date, however, showed a three per cent increase to 276 units in 2010 thanks to Moncton's strong push.

In housing stats Canada wide, 79 per cent was the magic number. That's how much housing construction rose over April 2009 figures.

The total for April 2010 for all housing was 14,995 of which 6,774 was for single housing units and 8,221 for multiple units.

The Atlantic region saw 573 new units started last month compared to 419 in April 2009.

I imagine that the reason why there are so many "multiple" starts in Moncton is related to duplex construction in the northwest end of the city. There are literally hundreds of duplexes already built in the area with many more under construction, especially in the new section of Evergreen Park.

Speaking of Evergreen, they are now actively working on the "Johnathon Creek" subdivision, accessed by the extension of Evergreen Drive across Ryan Street. They are also starting work on a new street off of Ryan just to the east of Evergreen.

With subdivision growth, upgrades to Ryan and Horsman, the new roundabout, commercial development on Berry Mills and the MID expansion, This section of the city will be unrecognizable in another 5-10 years.

mylesmalley
May 20, 2010, 6:20 PM
Moncton gets Canadian track and field championships

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/05/20/nb-track-field-championship.html

yet more proof that the money put towards the new stadium will be a good investment.

MonctonRad
May 20, 2010, 7:44 PM

Well, I guess they won't be tearing up the infield to lay down astroturf anytime soon!! :haha:

This is good news but I wonder what holding the 2013 and 2014 Canadian Track & Field Championships will mean for future CFL games down the road.

We have a tentative contract with the CFL for annual games for five years but either party can pull out at any time. If I'm not mistaken, I think the temporary bleachers are to be installed at least partially over the track surface. Things would be OK for this year and for 2011/2012 but there could be conflicts after that.

This will require further clarification.

homebody
May 21, 2010, 12:14 AM
WestJet to cut flights

Daily Moncton-Hamilton run no longer financially viable
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

WestJet Airlines will cancel its daily flight from Moncton to Hamilton at the end of October because the route is not making enough money, a company spokesman said last night.

"It's a regrettable decision but the route between Hamilton and Moncton was no longer economically viable for us to continue," WestJet spokesman Robert Palmer said in a telephone interview from the company's head office in Calgary. "We've done everything we could but the numbers just aren't there for us to continue."

The cancellation will coincide with the beginning of the fall and winter schedule. Flights through the summer will continue as usual.

He said WestJet will continue to operate its daily flights between Moncton and Toronto.

News of the cancellation was delivered to WestJet employees in Moncton last night.

Palmer said WestJet has about 18 staff members in Moncton. Palmer said cancellation of the Hamilton flight will no doubt result in some staff reductions but the company did not have specific numbers last night.

He said staff members who work in the office would have the opportunity to shift to different jobs, including in-flight crews, or to transfer to other bases in the WestJet chain.

"We always take care of our people. There is no target number to get to right now, so we'll have to see over the weeks and months to come what people decide to do."

WestJet has been operating the Moncton-to-Hamilton run for about 10 years using Boeing 700 and 737-series jets that have a seating capacity of 119 and 136 respectively. Palmer would not divulge how many people actually used the service on a regular basis but agreed it was popular with people travelling to Ontario who wanted to avoid the crowds and congestion of Toronto's Pearson airport. The Hamilton airport is similar in size to Greater Moncton International Airport.

The news of WestJet's cancelling comes just as Toronto-based Porter Airlines prepares to offer flights between Moncton and the Toronto island airport. That service will begin on June 25 with two daily round trips to Toronto and Ottawa during the summer season.

Palmer said there is no real link between the start of a new service by a competitor and the cancellation of the WestJet flight.

Hate to say it. But I told you so. Sorry for the bad news.

MonctonRad
May 21, 2010, 2:08 PM
Province eyes land for new Riverview school
Published Friday May 21st, 2010

Wendell Street property must undergo environmental impact assessment before sale
BY JACQUES GALLANT
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

A potential site for the new kindergarten to Grade 8 school in Riverview has been identified.

"If you drive up to the end of Wendell Street, that's where the new school is supposed to be built," indicated District 2 Education Council (DEC) Chair Harry Doyle at the council's monthly meeting Tuesday night. "The land is 30 acres and we're hoping to build two entrances to the new school, one coming from Wendell Street and the other coming from the bridge."

The site is located relatively close to the school it is to replace, Gunningsville Elementary.

Early on, the Town of Riverview had suggested offering a parcel of land to construct the new educational institution, which is expected to also include a recreational component.

In the end, however, the government decided to make the deal itself.

"The project went so fast and the province was so anxious to move ahead that they decided to deal directly with the owner of the property," stated Riverview Councillor-at-Large Don Lenehan, in attendance at Tuesday's meeting.

But he emphasizes that the town is still highly involved in the building process.

"We're basically negotiating with the district to discuss what they and the parents would like to see at the school. It's really a great situation for everyone, because the school and the town will be sharing facilities. Right now we're waiting for parents and principals to come back to us with their wish lists. We'll then be going back to town council with the information we've gathered in the summer and see what will need to be added in our 2011 budget."

The councillor added that the town was immensely pleased with the government's rapid response, as well as with the work of the DEC.

For now, the purchase of the land hasn't been finalized, but Doyle is optimistic.

"The province is conducting an environmental impact study on the property right now before purchasing it, but everything should be fine."

The council chair further indicated that discussions are going exceedingly well with the Town of Riverview.

"There have been talks of building tracks and ball fields, everything that you would normally see attached to a school. A new arena has even been mentioned. But right now our number one priority is to build that school and have it opened for September 2012", he says.

The DEC is hoping that in the next month or so, the Department of Education will have digested the recommendations put forward, hired an architect and begun discussing with all parties involved the design of the building.

The new school will replace Gunningsville and Lower Coverdale schools, as well as relieve some of the pressure on Riverview Middle School. Likely to cost in the area of $24 million, it has been stated in the past that it will be able to accommodate approximately 600 students

MonctonRad
May 21, 2010, 2:22 PM
Hamilton's loss to be Boston's gain?

Loss of WestJet route does not hamper GMIA expansion plans
By Cynthia Vukets
Times & Transcript Staff

The loss of WestJet's daily Hamilton flight is not the end of the world for the Greater Moncton International Airport.

Greater Moncton International Airport general manager Rob Robichaud hopes that WestJet will offer other routes for travellers out of Moncton. The airline will stop its Moncton-to-Hamilton flight this fall. Plus, it may not be too late to get the carrier to change its mind.

"It doesn't take effect until October," airport authority CEO Rob Robichaud says of WestJet's decision to cancel the Moncton-Hamilton route. "We will obviously be approaching WestJet to see if we can turn this around."

He says the cancellation will affect revenue, but that it may end up creating opportunities for other WestJet routes.

"The sky is not falling as a result of this," he says.

The Greater Moncton International Airport Authority (GMIAA) has plans. For St. John's. And Boston. And New York. And Paris. Well, maybe not Paris, but Europe is definitely not beyond the scope of the third-largest airport in Atlantic Canada, says Robichaud.

A new full-body security scanner arriving in several weeks will help the GMIAA approach airlines that don't currently fly here, says Robichaud. Plus, it will allow Moncton's airport to remain competitive in the event the U.S. government decides the full-body scan will be mandatory for all passengers entering the States.

The scanners caused some controversy when first installed in airports in Europe and North America, because they were perceived to violate passenger privacy.

The scanners create a 3D image using radio waves or low-level X-rays. Some passengers claim the resulting "naked" outline is an invasion of privacy, but Canada has cleared the scanners for use.

While there is currently only one flight per day into the United States -- to Newark, New Jersey -- there could soon be more. Porter Airlines will begin flying from Toronto Island June 25. And Moncton is planning to expand its charter service to southern vacation destinations.

Last winter, Air Transat, Sunwing and WestJet operated weekly flights to the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Cuba. The earliest flights began in January.

"That went gangbusters," says Robichaud. "We're hoping we can build on that and get it even earlier (this year)."

Airport commercial development director Johanne Gallant says they are also looking at increasing the number of sunny destinations next year, but so far there are no details from the carriers.

The GMIA still doesn't have 24-hour customs -- something essential to increasing international traffic. But the airport recently bumped up the customs hours to 16 hours per day, seven days a week.

"Of course we would like to have 24 hours," says Gallant. "(But) at this time all the airlines are well served."

By well served, she means no one who flies into Moncton, no matter what time of the day or night, is transferred to another city to clear customs.

There is also a real push towards expanding the airport's cargo services, to "diversify" revenue sources, says Gallant.

"It's not quite as sexy as the passenger side, but it certainly puts bread on the table," said Robichaud.

A runway extension should happen within the next five years, to accommodate larger cargo planes.

"Halifax may be considered the passenger hub, but the Greater Moncton area is in fact the transportation hub and the most ideal location for air cargo," says Robichaud.

As part of the cargo strategy, Moncton will also be creating a "logistical centre for excellence." A fancy name for what Gallant says will be a facility to link each stage of the transportation process.

That means connecting manufacturers and suppliers with shippers, storage and cargo airlines. Gallant says in the not-so-distant future, cargo planes could be arriving in Moncton from Europe and dropping goods onto transport trucks to be hauled to the United States.

So, it's one step backwards and one forwards for the GMIA.

The body scanner will help preserve our international route to NYC. Neither Fredericton or Saint John is slated to get one so that improves our competitiveness for trans-border routes. I still think a flight to Boston (or Chicago) might be possible.

The loss of the WestJet route to Hamilton is only a temporary setback. A second daily flight to Toronto is possible as a replacement. I think this would be more lucrative than the Hamilton run as WestJet is popular as a carrier to the west and a second Toronto flight would improve connections. I still think that the success of a possible St. John's-Moncton-Toronto route is obvious.

Building the logistical station will help attract more cargo business, as will the development of the airport industrial park. Although there are challenges ahead, I think the airport is on the right track.

MonctonRad
May 21, 2010, 2:39 PM
Riverview apartments under construction
Times & Transcript Staff

Riverview residents will notice more activity in the Findlay Park area where a new Sobeys grocery store now sits.

While work to Canadian Tire, expected to sit across from Sobeys on Findlay Boulevard, hasn't started yet, another project has.

On the corner of Whitepine Road and Cleveland Avenue, foundation work is getting underway on what will eventually be two 24-unit condominium-style apartment buildings.

The buildings are being constructed by Precision Plus Builders and apartments will be rented by Sheaco Management. Both companies are owned by Jamie Shea of Riverview.

Shea confirmed yesterday that the buildings will be open sometime early in 2011.

Shea says there is a demand for higher-end apartments in the area, and he plans on delivering just that. The two-bedroom condo-style apartments will be about 1,100 square feet (102 square metres) and will include in-floor heating, an open-concept design, stainless steel appliances, large patios, washer and dryer hookups and more.

He says both buildings will be energy efficient and will feature dark red siding with a dark brown window trim.

Shea is already planning a third similar building in the area that will feature 20 units.

The Findlay Park area is finally taking off. This new condo/apt. development is a vote of confidence in the area. Meanwhile, I am quite sure there will be an NB Liquor outlet built next to the new Sobeys and it will be interesting to see if the new Canadian Tire includes a Marks Work Wearhouse (I think it will). If Wal-Mart builds up there as well (as rumoured), then I think it safe to say that this development will finally have the momentum to carry it into the future.

bam63
May 21, 2010, 7:47 PM
Riverview apartments under construction
Times & Transcript Staff

Riverview residents will notice more activity in the Findlay Park area where a new Sobeys grocery store now sits.

While work to Canadian Tire, expected to sit across from Sobeys on Findlay Boulevard, hasn't started yet, another project has.

On the corner of Whitepine Road and Cleveland Avenue, foundation work is getting underway on what will eventually be two 24-unit condominium-style apartment buildings.

The buildings are being constructed by Precision Plus Builders and apartments will be rented by Sheaco Management. Both companies are owned by Jamie Shea of Riverview.

Shea confirmed yesterday that the buildings will be open sometime early in 2011.

Shea says there is a demand for higher-end apartments in the area, and he plans on delivering just that. The two-bedroom condo-style apartments will be about 1,100 square feet (102 square metres) and will include in-floor heating, an open-concept design, stainless steel appliances, large patios, washer and dryer hookups and more.

He says both buildings will be energy efficient and will feature dark red siding with a dark brown window trim.

Shea is already planning a third similar building in the area that will feature 20 units.

The Findlay Park area is finally taking off. This new condo/apt. development is a vote of confidence in the area. Meanwhile, I am quite sure there will be an NB Liquor outlet built next to the new Sobeys and it will be interesting to see if the new Canadian Tire includes a Marks Work Wearhouse (I think it will). If Wal-Mart builds up there as well (as rumoured), then I think it safe to say that this development will finally have the momentum to carry it into the future.

Yeah they're hard at work on the foundations,ground has also broke at the corner of gunningsville blvd and pine glen,I heard it was an animal hospital.
Even more just noticed a construction trailor has been set up on a huge piece of land across from the new sobeys(canadian tire/marks?)

ErickMontreal
May 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
http://www.bicom.ca/FR/images/logo_clients/laura.jpg

Montréal-based Laura will open up in Champlain Place, the opening is scheduled for August.

http://www.lauracanada.com/share/fr/stores/index.spy

MonctonRad
May 24, 2010, 12:26 AM

Thanks Erick, good to still get your input from time to time.

There are only a few vacancies in the mall. The largest one is by the Sears and encompasses the old English Butler, Athletes World & Source locations. If Laura moves in there, we could be looking at two or three of their co-brands (Laura, Laura Petits, Laura Plus) all opening at the same time.

Do you have any information on this Erick? All three of those storefronts are now being renovated as a single unit........

JasonL-Moncton
May 25, 2010, 1:13 PM
MonctonRad...I think Aeropostale is going in beside Sears...I saw an ad on Kijiji for staff a few days ago.

MonctonRad
May 25, 2010, 2:58 PM
MonctonRad...I think Aeropostale is going in beside Sears...I saw an ad on Kijiji for staff a few days ago.

Well, that space under renovation next to Sears is more than big enough for two stores. maybe both Laura and Aeropostale will be moving in there. :tup:

drewber
May 26, 2010, 2:27 PM
It seems based on the population factor that a Laura's superstore is a good bet for champlain place. I believe these stores encompass all of Laura's brand into one store. Just an educated guess looking at where they have the superstore's located currently.

mylesmalley
May 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
Highway interchange lauded
Published Thursday May 27th, 2010

Work on $10M project in Scoudouc expected to wrap in late fall
A1
By Craig Babstock
Times & Transcript Staff

A new interchange on Route 15 will facilitate expansion of the Scoudouc Industrial Park and also divert truck traffic out of Scoudouc.

2 OF 2

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=506696&size=315x223
A new interchange on Route 15 will facilitate expansion of the Scoudouc Industrial Park and also divert truck traffic out of Scoudouc. Transportation Minister Denis Landry (left) and Justice and Consumer Affairs Minister Bernard LeBlanc donned hard hats and fluorescent safety vests and toured the construction site, while massive dump trucks chugged past and work on the highway overpass continued.
RON WARD/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT

"It will save the life of Route 132 and the people of Scoudouc will be happy not to see as many trucks as they're seeing right now going into their village," said Transportation Minister Denis Landry yesterday morning. "It will be safer and bring more business to the park."

Landry and Justice and Consumer Affairs Minister Bernard LeBlanc donned hard hats and florescent safety vests and toured the construction site, while massive dump trucks chugged past and work on the highway overpass continued. LeBlanc said the new infrastructure will be welcomed by the people in his riding.

"Residents of Scoudouc have been asking for an interchange for a number of years, because all those trucks were going through their region," he said.

The $10-million project will result in some traffic slowdowns as the east and westbound lanes are periodically reduced to a single lane instead of two lanes. Caldwell & Ross Ltd. and Vail Civil Contractors Ltd. are currently doing grading and bridge work at the site and further tenders will be awarded in the coming weeks.

The project is expected to be finished by the end of October or early November. Bernie Leger, president of Scoudouc Industrial Park, was also on site yesterday and said the opening can't come a moment too soon.

"It has been a long time coming," he said. "A group started working on this project 20-25 years ago, lobbying the government."

Leger said the growth at the industrial park will benefit the region.

"We already have about 60 per cent of the phase one development with options on it and deposits and there's also interest in the old section," he said. "It's opening up a lot of land for development, hundreds of acres. All because of this access."

Landry also highlighted other major projects in southeastern New Brunswick that will be completed this year, including the $14-million bridge over the Cocagne River, $8 million worth of renovations to the Richibucto River Bridge in Rexton and the $3-million widening of the Mapleton Road overpass in Moncton. A new bridge between Pointe-du-Chêne and Shediac was also announced earlier this month at a cost of $1.8 million.

The Department of Transportation has budgeted $439.3 million for 2010-11 capital works projects.

Landry said it's a challenge trying to keep everyone happy when it comes to prioritizing road work.

"I have three children and I cannot keep them happy, it's hard for me to keep everybody happy," he said. "We go with the priorities of the department, not exactly the priorities of the MLAs and we look at safety first."

One major project that has already been approved by the government is the twinning of Route 11 between Shediac and Miramichi. Landry said $3 million has already been budgeted for planning and environmental assessment work and the construction of the twinned highway will begin in late 2012 or early 2013.

Recent meetings were held in Ottawa between provincial and federal leaders and Landry had a chance to speak with Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities John Baird about Route 11. He said the conversation went well and Baird had a positive response to their request for funding.

Approximately 40 kilometres of the existing Route 11 will be paved this year, including more than 10 kilometres from McKees Mills to Cocagne.

The 40 kilometres of paving will cost $13.4 million, bringing the total spent on Route 11 paving to more than $70 million under Landry's watch.

The minister drove a stretch of Route 11 in the rain Tuesday night and he said it needs work.

"It's kind of dangerous, the ruts were full of water and if you're not following the speed limit, you're hydroplaning," he said.

MonctonRad
May 27, 2010, 8:59 PM
Peace Centre project clears last hurdle
Published Thursday May 27th, 2010

Planning commission approves variances, work to begin within four weeks
By Yvon Gauvin
Times & Transcript staff

Nothing but clear sailing ahead for final phase of the Moncton Peace Centre, a multi-million renovation and expansion project for downtown Moncton.

The project, which involves renovating Central United Church and manse and the planned construction of a five-storey tall addition passed the final hurdle last night when the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission approved requests for several variances before commencing construction.

A sticking point was the use of non-traditional building material for the outside of the expansion to be connected to the church and manse by a glass atrium. The stone church, located at 150-154 Queen Street in the city's Central Business District Zone, falls under the city's heritage policy which looks to protect heritage buildings including historic churches.

The commission planning staff had recommended acceptance subject to terms and conditions with the rationale that the proposed outside building materials consisting of masonry on the ground floors, the glass atrium and metal sidings for the upper floors was a good fit while interpreting the city policy of using only traditional building materials as not absolute.

Commissioner Michael Sullivan, who sits on the Moncton Heritage Preservation Board, questioned the interpretation and called on Moncton City Council which donated land to the project to clarify the wording in the policy.

Architects 4 spokesman Andrew McGillivary gave a presentation on the project including a depiction of what the finished building will look like. The metal siding is of high quality and complements the existing exterior of the church and manse, he said.

Robert Nuttall, who has been project manager for the Moncton Peace Centre for the past three years, said the groups involved in the centre are apparently in agreement with the plans presented them.

There were no objections raised at a recent meeting with property heritage preservation review board members, he added.

Sullivan left the meeting for the rest of the debate as a result of his involvement with the heritage board.

The extension is phase three of the estimated $13.5-million project to create 44,000 square feet of area for offices and facilities. McGillivary said site work should begin within four weeks and the project hopefully finish by March of next year.

The centre will house the Central United Church, Early Childhood Stimulation Inc., Family Service Moncton Inc., the Multi Cultural Association of the Greater Moncton Area Inc., the United Way of Greater Moncton and Southeastern New Brunswick Region Inc. and olunteer Centre of Southeastern NB Inc. and will allow easier interaction and sharing of resources between the groups. Besides office space is a multi-use theatre space for various events.

Commissioner Boyd Anderson wanted assurances that someone with the project would intervene with construction workers and staff parking along Queen Street outside the church during the day and creating potentially dangerous situations for both pedestrians and passing motorists.

Nuttall promised to look into the matter.

The vote on the motion to approved the variances was passed by a count of 12 for and four against.

This may end up being the most substantial building project in the downtown core this year.............it's a good project but that's still rather sad. :(