PDA

View Full Version : The Official Moncton, NB Project Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135

Dmajackson
Feb 1, 2009, 9:15 PM
Ahh thanks, no need to be sorry, just curious is all, that's usually the way it goes. :)

Just to be a little more accurate its in Dartouth Crossing not one of the malls.

I've been to Champlain multiple times before and I've always wondered how many stores there are in the place? Whatever it is it's a massive mall. :)

mylesmalley
Feb 1, 2009, 11:56 PM
Champlain Place boasts (from their website).

"With over 160 stores and services there are thousands of gift ideas under one roof!!"

The fact that they used double punctuation makes me hate that mall even more. Multiple! exclamation! marks! don't! make! what! you! say! more! exciting!!

Dmajackson
Feb 2, 2009, 12:51 AM
Champlain Place boasts (from their website).

"With over 160 stores and services there are thousands of gift ideas under one roof!!"

The fact that they used double punctuation makes me hate that mall even more. Multiple! exclamation! marks! don't! make! what! you! say! more! exciting!!

Thanks "myles". :)

LOL :haha: Clearly using more exclamation marks makes what you say more angry. ;)

The only complaint I have about the mall is there is absolutely no cell serivce in that place. When I last there I was happy when my phone died because my phone resends me the last text message everytime I go out of service area. You'd think you'd get phone service in the downtown of a city.

mylesmalley
Feb 2, 2009, 2:06 AM
I've wondered that myself. It most likely has something to do with the construction of the building. Maybe a metal roof is a poor conductor of cellular signals?

mmmatt
Feb 2, 2009, 3:24 AM
I've wondered that myself. It most likely has something to do with the construction of the building. Maybe a metal roof is a poor conductor of cellular signals?

Thats exactly it. Too much interference, there are at least 5 cell towers within 2 km of the mall and I always have perfect signal anywhere in metro moncton, but as soon as you go into the mall of wal-mart etc its down to 1 or 2 bars.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 2, 2009, 1:36 PM
I thought La Vie en Rose was going on Mapleton??

FireEyedBoy
Feb 2, 2009, 4:36 PM
Work has started at the site for the new Justice center, they are surveying and driving stakes in the ground now. I work at the Rogers call center accross the street, once the construction starts I will try to remember to take pics and post them here.

ErickMontreal
Feb 2, 2009, 6:58 PM
I thought La Vie en Rose was going on Mapleton??

From what I have heard, they was supposed to open up a factory outlet store in Mapleton Power center like the one in Dartmouth Crossing.

At the end, maybe Moncton will get both.

MonctonRad
Feb 2, 2009, 10:07 PM
From what I have heard, they was supposed to open up a factory outlet store in Mapleton Power center like the one in Dartmouth Crossing.

At the end, maybe Moncton will get both.

Well, we have a Danier Leather store at Champlain and a Danier Leather Factory Outlet at Trinity so I guess that it is possible.....

C_Boy
Feb 3, 2009, 8:41 PM
Greater Moncton Airport has record year
February 03, 2009 - 12:02 pm
By: Rebecca Davis - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - Amid a continued downturn in worldwide air travel, the Greater Moncton International Airport bucked the trend, by serving a record number of passengers in 2008.

Data shows that 573,688 people chose the Moncton airport in 2008, which is a 10.6 percent increase over 2007.

Airport president and ceo Rob Robichaud says airport officials are thrilled to have had another great year.

"We're very pleased - we were projecting an increase of between 6 and 8 (percent). But a number of factors come into play beyond our expectations and we got into the double digits."

Robichaud attributes the airport's success to its location and this region's dependency on air travel for business

Dmajackson
Feb 3, 2009, 9:41 PM
Hey I got a question. Whats the concert line-up looking like for Magnetic Hill this summer? :shrug:

I really want to know if there is anything worthwhile taking a weekend off to head up to see.

mylesmalley
Feb 3, 2009, 9:48 PM
I don't think they've announced if/what the big act/acts could/will be.
Sorry lol.
Answer your question? :jester:

kirjtc2
Feb 3, 2009, 9:48 PM
Hey I got a question. Whats the concert line-up looking like for Magnetic Hill this summer? :shrug:

I really want to know if there is anything worthwhile taking a weekend off to head up to see.

No announcement yet....AC/DC is rumoured to be the headlining act for NB Day weekend but it's not official.

I think last year we got an announcement around the end of March.

MonctonRad
Feb 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
60-day countdown
Published Tuesday February 3rd, 2009

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=242216&size=0x400
The organizing committee for the 2009 Ford World Men’s Curling Championship, in partnership with United Way, Downtown Moncton Development, and the City of Moncton, is holding 60 Sweeps To The World’s today. This represents the 60-day countdown to the World Championships here in Moncton. For this event, a curling rink was built outside Moncton City Hall where one of the local curling leagues, the Ben Lavigne Curling League, will play its regular league games on the ice surface, from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m today. Here, Doug Mersereau and Al Forsythe flood the surface.

mylesmalley
Feb 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
Great photo

Dmajackson
Feb 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
No announcement yet....AC/DC is rumoured to be the headlining act for NB Day weekend but it's not official.

I think last year we got an announcement around the end of March.

Ah okay thanks. :)

I thought you guys might have some announced since Halifax just had KISS oficially announced today.

I guess I'll have to keep on reading this thread for awhile yet to see if anything good comes to town. :P

mylesmalley
Feb 3, 2009, 11:30 PM
We'll keep you informed.

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
The rumour is that there may be two concerts on the hill this year. :)

Marchabsfan
Feb 4, 2009, 12:57 AM
hey, I'm a chef at the delta beausejour and I was at the press conference for the eagles concert and it was a really really nice setup. Hopefully I will get the info earlier then everyone else. We prep the food for these things 1 or 2 days in advance.

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2009, 1:03 AM
hey, I'm a chef at the delta beausejour and I was at the press conference for the eagles concert and it was a really really nice setup. Hopefully I will get the info earlier then everyone else. We prep the food for these things 1 or 2 days in advance.

Welcome to the forum Marchabsfan, we are always eager to have people on the inside who can provide us with all the juicy rumours.

It's amazing how many people are now on the Moncton forum. :)

mylesmalley
Feb 4, 2009, 1:08 AM
Quite a diverse one at that, MonctonRad.
So we've got a chef, at least a couple students, a physician, property developer... all able to provide their unique perspective and expertise on the topics of the day.

Welcome, MarcHabsFan!

David_99
Feb 4, 2009, 2:29 PM
Quite a diverse one at that, MonctonRad.
So we've got a chef, at least a couple students, a physician, property developer... all able to provide their unique perspective and expertise on the topics of the day.

Welcome, MarcHabsFan!

Some small news from the Graphics field.

I just saw the Papa John menus and heard they were printing today. With similar prices and the location, it will definitely rival Vito's. I see the building is coming along as well!

mylesmalley
Feb 4, 2009, 5:57 PM
Sorry, David99. I forgot you were a graphic artist.

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2009, 6:16 PM
There has to be at least a dozen other occasional posters to the Moncton thread that we don't know the occupations of.

Maybe this would make a good poll for the Maritime section.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 4, 2009, 6:55 PM
Papa John's is going right across from "Silver Rose" flower shop on Mountain Road, right beside the bike shop in the old Needs convenience store...sigh, and two blocks from my house (this trying to eat better is going right down the toilet).

Jason

I'm a Forecaster for a large Call Center company.

Jerry556
Feb 4, 2009, 8:23 PM
i am in the construstion industry

mylesmalley
Feb 4, 2009, 8:54 PM
very diverse lot...
students, construction/development, medicine, services, arts...

BlackYear
Feb 4, 2009, 9:35 PM
I'm currently a Banker/Technology Support Analyst.

I also have Residential Drafting experience, knowledgeable in construction/electrical/plumbing, amateur photographer and avid motorcyclist among other interest. :)

MonctonRad
Feb 4, 2009, 9:53 PM
January building permits best since 2005
Published Wednesday February 4th, 2009
Times & Transcript Staff

Moncton's construction season is off to a solid start, posting its best January building permit figures since 2005, according to figures released by the City of Moncton yesterday. The $2.6 million worth of construction is fourth highest January figure of the past decade.

As might be expected in the most frozen month of the year, the bulk of activity was not home construction, but rather industrial and institutional construction.

Interior renovations were also a significant part of the activity in this weather. The biggest project by far was a $1.2 million renovation at the Georges-L.-Dumont Hospital, while repairs to the fire-damaged Night Magic nightclub also accounted for a large permit, worth $200,000.

The Molson Brewery also took out a $75,000 permit to build a 460 square metre (1,500 sq. foot) addition.

Personal note - This article doesn't signify very much - I mean, we're only talking about $2.6M in permits which is only a drop in the bucket when it comes to the overall permits issued in any one year but at least the headline looks good. :)

bam63
Feb 4, 2009, 10:12 PM
Curtainwall industry

riverviewer
Feb 4, 2009, 10:57 PM
Call Center Director

mmmatt
Feb 5, 2009, 2:29 AM
Great news about permits so far, I anticipate this year will be an awesome construction season, in spite of global forcasts. :)

Along the lines of occupations I work part time at a call center and I'm a full time Civil Engineering Technology student at NBCC. :tup:

gehrhardt
Feb 5, 2009, 12:41 PM
Software development for me.

C_Boy
Feb 5, 2009, 7:18 PM
I'm an ambulance dispatcher

MonctonRad
Feb 5, 2009, 10:14 PM
The new St. Hubert's restaurant in the power centre district will finally be opening early next week. It will include a bar area and a drive thru, neither of which was present in the original location.

BlackYear
Feb 5, 2009, 10:53 PM
The new St. Hubert's restaurant in the power centre district will finally be opening early next week. It will include a bar area and a drive thru, neither of which was present in the original location.

The building looks fantastic. I'll try and remind myself to charge up my D50 and perhaps take a few photos this weekend.

riverviewer
Feb 6, 2009, 12:02 AM
Here's a render of the new condos, designed by Architect2000, being built in the "Mountain Woods " development. These will back onto the Magnetic Hill golf course fairways.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/The20Fairways20Rendering.jpg

Here is a map of the subdivision from the Hart Realty website. See "Gorge Road subdividion" on Myles's Map.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/mapofmountain.jpg

mmmatt
Feb 6, 2009, 12:08 AM
^ Wow! thats a fairly sizable development, thanks for the renders. :)

I'd like to see stuff like that going up on the "vision lands" within the next 10 years, need to get that blank spot filled in haha.

The building looks fantastic. I'll try and remind myself to charge up my D50 and perhaps take a few photos this weekend.

You have a D50?!

Holy smokes man, you need to take some pics and make a nice photo thread! :cheers:

BlackYear
Feb 6, 2009, 12:33 AM
You have a D50?!

Holy smokes man, you need to take some pics and make a nice photo thread! :cheers:

Nikon D50 with Tamron Di-II AF18-250mm lens.

Here's a few of my pics from the Moncton Air Show in 2007.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/2007%20Air%20Show/25.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/2007%20Air%20Show/08.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/2007%20Air%20Show/02.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/2007%20Air%20Show/19.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/2007%20Air%20Show/07.jpg

mylesmalley
Feb 6, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the update, Riverviewer!
Great shots, Budyser! I'm really hoping the air show comes back to town in the next year or two.

MonctonRad
Feb 6, 2009, 1:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Riverviewer!
Great shots, Budyser! I'm really hoping the air show comes back to town in the next year or two.

Yes, the riverfront makes a great venue for an event like this. This event definitely deserves to be restaged in the near future.

The Nova Scotia International Airshow is basically moribund now that Shearwater has been closed. The Halifax Stanfield International Airport makes a poor venue for this event. It is too far from downtown and is too busy as a working airport to easily host this event.

While Moncton suffers the same limitations as Halifax (the GMIA is too busy to serve as a venue for static displays), a limited airshow consisting mostly of aerial displays is very feasable.

MonctonRad
Feb 6, 2009, 2:07 AM
It's great to see all the housing developments going up around the metro area golf courses. We haven't discussed this very much in this thread but the regions golfing facilities are a tremendous resource for greater Moncton. We have nine golf courses in the CMA. This has to be more that any other city in the Atlantic Canada.

The Magnetic Hill, Royal Oaks and Fox Creek golf courses all have integrated courseside housing developments, including both single family houses and condos in the mix. The Moncton Golf Club also has a large condo development under construction right now and I believe that a subdivision here is also planned when the back holes are reconfigured.

I can't think of anywhere else in the region where there are so many options available for courseside living.

Dmajackson
Feb 6, 2009, 2:13 AM
The Nova Scotia International Airshow is basically moribund now that Shearwater has been closed. The Halifax Stanfield International Airport makes a poor venue for this event. It is too far from downtown and is too busy as a working airport to easily host this event.

The Nova Scotia airshow has actually given up on Halifax altogether. They are moving the show to Yarmouth this year. :(

mmmatt
Feb 6, 2009, 4:01 AM
since Budyser added his great airshow shots to the last page, I figured I'd add a picture of mine for a change for this installment of:

Colour for the page

one of mine from last summer:

Partial Skyline at dusk
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/3240854870_b396c27d65_b.jpg

mmmatt
Feb 6, 2009, 4:56 AM
Holy smokes...I dont know if its an error or something but there are currently 110 guests on the Atlantic forums...and only 12 people are looking at the Hali section...so that means over 100 guests looking at the rest...if any of you guests read this and want to join up and discuss stuff please do so...we would love to have you on board (literally haha)! :D

(maybe I just need to get to bed) :P

mylesmalley
Feb 6, 2009, 5:46 AM
sorry man, down to 16 guests now.

riverviewer
Feb 6, 2009, 10:38 AM
It's great to see all the housing developments going up around the metro area golf courses. We haven't discussed this very much in this thread but the regions golfing facilities are a tremendous resource for greater Moncton. We have nine golf courses in the CMA. This has to be more that any other city in the Atlantic Canada.

The Magnetic Hill, Royal Oaks and Fox Creek golf courses all have integrated courseside housing developments, including both single family houses and condos in the mix. The Moncton Golf Club also has a large condo development under construction right now and I believe that a subdivision here is also planned when the back holes are reconfigured.

I can't think of anywhere else in the region where there are so many options available for courseside living.

Here is the render of the Moncton Golf Club subdivision on the back holes.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/golf200-1.jpg

With the change in configuation, they made room for 200 building lots.

benvui
Feb 6, 2009, 2:02 PM
Hey, to add the the occupation list, I'm a business analyst for a software company.

mmmatt
Feb 6, 2009, 2:30 PM
Ling's lands in Hub City

Ontario-based Chinese food producer chose Moncton as best location for expansion

By Cole Hobson
Times & Transcript Staff
Published Friday February 6th, 2009

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=244364&size=500x0
Raymond Ling shows some of the products his company, Ling's Foods Ltd., distributes from his Moncton warehouse.

Raymond Ling searched long and hard for a new Atlantic Canadian city in which to expand his business and in the end, he settled on Moncton

"We've been scouting around for the last two years, looking for a suitable location and a suitable city. We examined Saint John, we examined Fredericton, we examined Halifax, we decided on Moncton," said Ling, the president of Ling's Foods Ltd. "Moncton is geographically the hub of Atlantic Canada, you're only two and a half hours from Halifax, close to all the major cities. From a distribution point of view, this is a logistical central location.

"Also, we like the city of Moncton because of its diversity and that it's multilingual."

Ling's Foods Ltd. offers a wide selection of authentic South East Asian cuisine for distribution and wholesale to locations around Canada and the United States. The company also has more than a dozen Bento Box, Thai Bowl and Beijing Express restaurant franchises around Ontario.

The group is based in the Greater Toronto Area and recently expanded operations to Moncton, where its storage facility will carry frozen food and dinner entrees, dry, packaged and canned goods as well as chilled products and perishables.

The company is also the sole distributor for Ontario-based Mannarich Food Inc., which has been in operation since 1976.

Ling says the goal is to make his company the "hub" for the Maritimes for ethnic food and grocery distribution. He says he is in discussions to have his products sold in Loblaws, Sobeys and Co-op grocery stores around the region in upcoming weeks.

Ling, who is a native of Hong Kong but has lived in Toronto since 1970, says the Moncton expansion began in August when they began planning and looking for a suitable location.

In the fall, Ling settled on Moncton and began ordering products for storage in the company's 500-cubic-foot freezer. The first shipments arrived in early January and it's now full steam ahead.

The company will do more than just store food in Moncton, too.

"We're fairly diverse in our operation. We are also looking at a couple of sites in downtown Moncton to open up our restaurants." Ling explained, noting they are interested in partnering with people in Metro Moncton to help operations expand.

"We've been talking to a few people through immigration consultations, they bring in new immigrants looking to buy a business or start a business, but they nothing about the local people or local area. That's where we come in."

Ling also says in the longer-term he'd love to expand operations even further in Hub City.

"We would like to establish footing in Atlantic Canada, eventually we hope to do the manufacturing here instead of shipping from Ontario," he said. "We would want to eventually establish a manufacturing plant here. Shipping product from Ontario is very expensive and I think we could combine the advantages of the area and do away with the freight and have lower operating costs and lower overhead. We could make a big impact."

JimiThing
Feb 6, 2009, 8:00 PM
Hey, to add the the occupation list, I'm a business analyst for a software company.

I'm Currently working for a Property Development company in Moncton ;)

BlackYear
Feb 6, 2009, 11:12 PM
Here's a couple of photos I took of the aftermath from the Carrie Underwood concert at the Coliseum a few months ago.

The observation here is the low hanging ceiling at the Coliseum. Clearly when you look at the modern audio and visual equipment of today's concert productions, the Coliseum must be a huge headache for stage managers, riggers and set designers.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Carrie%20Underwood/DSCN0083.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Carrie%20Underwood/DSCN0081.jpg

MonctonRad
Feb 6, 2009, 11:37 PM
:previous:

Informative pictures Budyser. There is no question that the coliseum has had it's day as a performance venue. The time to build a new arena complex (note that I refrained from calling it a Metro centre) is now.

- We need more seating capacity.
- We need corporate boxes.
- We need a facility with a higher roof.
- We need better concession areas.
- We need an improved sound system.
- We need more capacity for the many events that the city is hosting (note that the Wildcats will likely end up playing more than half their playoff games at the J. Louis Levesque Arena because of scheduling conflicts).

The coliseum will continue to see good use because of it's relationship with the Agrena for conventions and trade shows. It will also serve as a back-up facility for the new arena. There is always a demand for ice surfaces in our city.

It will not be a waste to have both the coliseum and a new arena.

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 12:05 AM
:previous:

Informative pictures Budyser. There is no question that the coliseum has had it's day as a performance venue. The time to build a new arena complex (note that I refrained from calling it a Metro centre) is now.

- We need more seating capacity.
- We need corporate boxes.
- We need a facility with a higher roof.
- We need better concession areas.
- We need an improved sound system.
- We need more capacity for the many events that the city is hosting (note that the Wildcats will likely end up playing more than half their playoff games at the J. Louis Levesque Arena because of scheduling conflicts).

The coliseum will continue to see good use because of it's relationship with the Agrena for conventions and trade shows. It will also serve as a back-up facility for the new arena. There is always a demand for ice surfaces in our city.

It will not be a waste to have both the coliseum and a new arena.

I agree 100% with you on those points, Ill add:

- We need the arena to be downtown
- We need transit links
- We need close proximity to hotels, resturants and shopping for spin-off revenue
- We need a structure to be proud of, not some big box monstrosity

Heres and article from todays T&T from the viewpoint of one of the main event promoters in Eastern Canada, he also thinks the time is now.

Moncton needs a metro centre: promoter

Booking agent says downtown 15,000-seat venue would help draw bigger sports, entertainment events to Metro

BY ALAN COCHRANE
Published Friday February 6th, 2009

A new 15,000-seat downtown arena would help Moncton draw bigger entertainment and sports events, along with millions of dollars in economic spinoffs, the president of a major booking agency said yesterday.

"Moncton definitely needs a new venue. The one you have is not adequate for the acts we would like to bring there," Jacques Aubé, president of the Montreal-based Gillett Entertainment Group said yesterday. "Right now there are certain shows that we aren't able to bring to Moncton because the ceiling is too low, the clock is in the way and it doesn't have enough seats."

The Moncton Coliseum, which was built in the 1970s, has a low-sloping ceiling. It seats about 4,500 for hockey games and more than 7,000 for concerts, depending on the configuration. The adjacent agrena complex includes large spaces for trade shows, conventions and special events.

"The Elton John show was fantastic and proved Moncton can really pack 'em in," said Aube, who was in Moncton last fall. While in Moncton, he visited the Coliseum, the Magnetic Hill concert site and other venues used for hosting concerts and events.

The Elton John show, which was promoted and organized by GEG, broke three records for the Coliseum, including an attendance record of 8,704 people and gross sales of well over $1 million. But in today's concert business, promoters are looking for bigger venues that can generate more gross income to help cover the rising overhead costs of manpower, fuel, electricity and other factors. Gillett also presented concerts by Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, Simple Plan, Lenny Kravitz and the Australian Pink Floyd band in Moncton.

"You have great fans in Moncton, they are very culturally inclined and enjoy all kinds of shows," Aube said, adding Moncton's demographics and bilingual nature make it ideal for promoters to plan shows.

Aubé wouldn't say which bands he couldn't fit in to the Coliseum, but his company presents many shows at the Montreal Bell Centre, which holds about 15,000. Some of those acts include Celine Dion, Fleetwood Mac, the Disney Ice Show and a monster truck event.

Aubé said a downtown multi-use facility that could seat 12,000 to 15,000 would be a good investment for Metro Moncton. The idea has already been endorsed by the city, the provincial government and local representatives of the federal government. Premier Shawn Graham has said he wants to help make Moncton the entertainment centre of Atlantic Canada and pledged his support for a metro centre.

Officials have said the arena would not replace the Coliseum, but complement it. The centre could be used to stage sporting events, concerts and other entertainment that would likely draw audiences from all over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, creating economic spinoffs for hotels, restaurants, gas stations, retailers and many other businesses.

The City of Moncton has already hired a consultant to look at what kind of facility would be best. Although no exact location for the building has been specified, three downtown areas have been identified as possibilities.

He said a larger building in Moncton would help promoters line up mini-tours of Atlantic Canada that would also include stops in Halifax and Saint John. A larger building would mean promoters could promise acts more money, which is important when considering the cost of touring. Large bands usually travel with several tractor-trailers worth of gear, along with buses for the band and crews. This is expensive, especially if they have to travel all the way from Boston or Montreal to a small market like Atlantic Canada. Having bigger arenas to fill means there is more money to make it worthwhile for the touring companies.

Aubé said it would be important for the city to make sure a new arena has the flexibility to handle a variety of entertainment and sporting events. Big bands and circus performers need high ceilings. They also need good access to dressing rooms, merchandising kiosks, food service, rigging towers, Internet and phone lines, staging and loading doors that allow a quick roll in and roll out of equipment. Touring groups want to be able to set up quickly and tear down immediately after the show, put the gear in the trucks and hit the road for the next gig.

Aubé even offered the experience of his production experts to help plan the building.

"I think that would be a win-win situation."

- A few points of mine regarding that article:

- The T&T needs to research things i.e. seating capacitys of arenas. The Coliseum seats 6,500 for hockey not 4,500, and the Bell Center has a 22,000 capicity.
- The T&T needs to stop using the "Metro Center" moniker
- The T&T needs to realize that 15,000 seats is WAY too massive for a market like Moncton, and we will most likely see one in the 10-12,000 range.

BlackYear
Feb 7, 2009, 12:17 AM
mmmat, did you call me Jimi in the T&T comment section? Hahaha, that's ok.

Here are my comments on the article posted in the T&T comments section:

"T&T and Alan Cochrane, please research your facts before publishing. And please stop referring the proposed new Moncton arena complex as "Metro Center". It hasn't been built or officially named yet. A "Metro Center" already exist, it's located in Halifax. Be a little more creative. Here, let me help. "The Moncton Codiac Complex".

Anyway, the Moncton Coliseum has 6500 uncomfortable cramped plastic seats. The Montreal Bell Center has 22000 comfortable bigger seats with plenty of leg room.

A new 12000 seat arena strategically located downtown (Highfield Square) would cost around 70 million with a yearly operational cost of 2.75 million.

Economic spin-offs are well worth the cost.

A well built, well designed, well managed facility with modern equipment with smart people at the helm, equals success. I live downtown and nothing would please me more than to see this come to life."

MonctonRad
Feb 7, 2009, 12:22 AM
The unemployment stats for January have come out. I think there is interesting news here for New Brunswick.

In December, NB was the only province in the country to have a decrease in the unemployment rate.
In January, the unemployment rate in NB did go up, but only by a paltry 0.1%. Only Saskatchewan did better.

The rates and percent change in January for each province are as follows:

SK_____4.1%_____decrease 0.1%
AB_____4.4%_____increase 0.2%
MB_____4.6%_____increase 0.3%
BC_____6.2%_____increase 0.9%
QC_____7.7%_____increase 0.4%
ON_____8.0%_____increase 0.8%
NB_____8.7%_____increase 0.1%
NS_____8.8%_____increase 0.6%
PE____11.9%_____increase 0.2%
NL____14.3%_____increase 0.6%

So far, it would appear that NB is escaping the recession. This is not to say that it won't have an effect here, but we might end up doing better than some other parts of our country.

MonctonRad
Feb 7, 2009, 12:31 AM
- A few points of mine regarding that article:

- The T&T needs to research things i.e. seating capacitys of arenas. The Coliseum seats 6,500 for hockey not 4,500, and the Bell Center has a 22,000 capicity.
- The T&T needs to stop using the "Metro Center" moniker
- The T&T needs to realize that 15,000 seats is WAY too massive for a market like Moncton, and we will most likely see one in the 10-12,000 range.

I think the T&T is getting worse! I saw this article in the paper today as well, and it was so poorly written that I decided that it would be too embarrassing to post it in this thread. I mean, Jesus Christ, does anyone at that paper think to check their facts before publishing an article! Where were the editors here! Poorly written and researched copy like this belongs in a high school newspaper, not in the highest circulation publication in the province!!!

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 1:32 AM
mmmat, did you call me Jimi in the T&T comment section? Hahaha, that's ok.

haha I noticed that after posting, an "l" got slipped in there by accident, cant edit those comments after posting unfortunately...glad to hear you are a voice of reason on those comment boards, there is a small group of frequent commenters on that site and they are mainly nay-sayers, thats what prompted me to make an account and contradict them. :P

Its just sad that the vast majority of people in Moncton support the new arena but most of the people who muster the effort to make an account are the people who are dead-set against it...its always the extreemes that are the loudest I guess haha.

BlackYear
Feb 7, 2009, 1:54 AM
Since I'm bored here at work on a Friday evening, I figured I'd search the remaining web sites yet visited on the internet and look for a hockey arena with 12000 seats.

So here's a good perspective view of the North Charleston Coliseum which has 12000 seats. I'll spare the outside view because it looks like a giant pink bubble gum. Although, it does look very modern.

This would fit nicely for Moncton.

http://www.tridenttech.edu/coliseum_overview.jpg

http://media.charleston.net/images/sports/teams/seatchart_nchascol.gif

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 1:59 AM
The unemployment stats for January have come out. I think there is interesting news here for New Brunswick.

In December, NB was the only province in the country to have a decrease in the unemployment rate.
In January, the unemployment rate in NB did go up, but only by a paltry 0.1%. Only Saskatchewan did better.

The rates and percent change in January for each province are as follows:

SK_____4.1%_____decrease 0.1%
AB_____4.4%_____increase 0.2%
MB_____4.6%_____increase 0.3%
BC_____6.2%_____increase 0.9%
QC_____7.7%_____increase 0.4%
ON_____8.0%_____increase 0.8%
NB_____8.7%_____increase 0.1%
NS_____8.8%_____increase 0.6%
PE____11.9%_____increase 0.2%
NL____14.3%_____increase 0.6%

So far, it would appear that NB is escaping the recession. This is not to say that it won't have an effect here, but we might end up doing better than some other parts of our country.

Very true, NB seems to be holding the line well recently

however for the year perspective we did increase by 0.8% from 7.9%-8.7%

In fact there was only one region in NB whos unemployment rate went down during 2008, the Moncton-Richibucto area went down by 0.4% to rest at 6.4%

The region with the lowest unemployment rate in NB is Saint John-St. Stephen @ 6.3%

The Fredericton-Oromocto is the same as Moncton @ 6.4%

Here is the breakdown

Year___Population___Labour Force___Unemploy Rate

New Brunswick

2008___ 615.3___ 390.0___ 7.9
2009___ 619.7___ 394.0___ 8.7

Campbellton-Miramichi

2008___ 135.8___ 76.8___ 14.2
2009___ 135.5___ 73.1___17.0

Moncton-Richibucto

2008___ 164.2___ 107.8___ 6.8
2009___ 166.7___ 112.6___ 6.4

Saint John-St. Stephen

2008___ 142.4___ 95.1___ 5.3
2009___ 143.4___ 94.4___ 6.3

Fredericton-Oromocto

2008___ 104.7___ 68.8___ 5.1
2009___ 105.9___ 70.4___ 6.4

Edmundston-Woodstock

2008___ 68.2___ 41.5___ 9.6
2009___ 68.2___ 43.5___ 10.1

from here: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/71-001-x/2009001/t021-eng.htm

mylesmalley
Feb 7, 2009, 7:32 AM
When has the T&T ever made an effort to do proper editing? There are times when I really wonder if they subscribe to the 'if you repeat something again and again, eventually it'll come true' mantra.

Also, it's interesting that in the Moncton-Richibucto Region, the population increased by about 2500 in a year, but the labour force grew by just under 5000 with a drop in unemployment. I guess you could take from it is that, not only has the number of people working increased, the job creation growth rate is outpacing it.

StormShadow
Feb 7, 2009, 4:50 PM
Hello everyone, my first post. I have been visiting this thread since it began and now that talk on a new downtown arena is heating up I think I will post my pov. First off, a little background about myself…I was born and raised in Moncton, but since the early 90’s I have resided in Halifax, Calgary and now Toronto. I am back at school, architecture school as a matter of fact, so if anyone has any technical questions, I will do my best to answer them.

My interest in an arena project for Moncton began when I was a kid delivering the T&T and buying Moncton Hawks season tickets with my paper route money. I attended NHL games in LA and Calgary during my March breaks and I would come home imagining a large arena in downtown Moncton like the Saddledome or the Great Western Forum. How cool would that be? My vision was a 16,000 seat arena built in the middle of a massive parking lot on the Highfield Square site in the year 2020. I would sketch various seating configurations to a scale. My friends would come over to play Nintendo and they would think I was nuts.

Fast forward 2008…I can’t believe how much Moncton has grown since I’ve been gone and how close this arena project is to actually becoming a reality. All of my relatives are still live in Moncton. They will never leave, so I will always have a connection to Moncton. There is no other place I would rather be in hot July or August, lobster season! I really appreciate this thread, it is encouraging to see how much growth there is. I have always thought of Moncton as one with a lot for a city of its relative small size.

I have had a few ideas or concepts for the downtown arena. I’ve kept quiet hoping that someday I could bring these designs to the city or province for commission, but Moncton is just moving way too fast- they won’t wait for 2020!

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 5:30 PM
Hello everyone, my first post. I have been visiting this thread since it began and now that talk on a new downtown arena is heating up I think I will post my pov. First off, a little background about myself…I was born and raised in Moncton, but since the early 90’s I have resided in Halifax, Calgary and now Toronto. I am back at school, architecture school as a matter of fact, so if anyone has any technical questions, I will do my best to answer them.

My interest in an arena project for Moncton began when I was a kid delivering the T&T and buying Moncton Hawks season tickets with my paper route money. I attended NHL games in LA and Calgary during my March breaks and I would come home imagining a large arena in downtown Moncton like the Saddledome or the Great Western Forum. How cool would that be? My vision was a 16,000 seat arena built in the middle of a massive parking lot on the Highfield Square site in the year 2020. I would sketch various seating configurations to a scale. My friends would come over to play Nintendo and they would think I was nuts.

Fast forward 2008…I can’t believe how much Moncton has grown since I’ve been gone and how close this arena project is to actually becoming a reality. All of my relatives are still live in Moncton. They will never leave, so I will always have a connection to Moncton. There is no other place I would rather be in hot July or August, lobster season! I really appreciate this thread, it is encouraging to see how much growth there is. I have always thought of Moncton as one with a lot for a city of its relative small size.

I have had a few ideas or concepts for the downtown arena. I’ve kept quiet hoping that someday I could bring these designs to the city or province for commission, but Moncton is just moving way too fast- they won’t wait for 2020!

Welcome to the forum StormShadow! :D

Great backround story, and Im glad to hear that you still keep strong ties with Moncton even after moving off.

Funny that you had the idea of a grand downtown arena even back then, I doubt there are many people who shared your vision at that point, but look at us now! Personally Im hoping things will move quickly on this project, and if so we might see a ground breaking as soon as late 2011, however thats an very optomistic idea. Heres hoping though! :)

Glad to hear you are in the architecture field, Im sure your knowledge will help us with many discussions!

MonctonRad
Feb 7, 2009, 5:47 PM
Since I'm bored here at work on a Friday evening, I figured I'd search the remaining web sites yet visited on the internet and look for a hockey arena with 12000 seats.

So here's a good perspective view of the North Charleston Coliseum which has 12000 seats. I'll spare the outside view because it looks like a giant pink bubble gum. Although, it does look very modern.

This would fit nicely for Moncton.

http://www.tridenttech.edu/coliseum_overview.jpg

http://media.charleston.net/images/sports/teams/seatchart_nchascol.gif

I agree Budyser, this would be an ideal size and configuration for a downtown Moncton arena. We just need to add in some corporate boxes there. Maybe you should forward this plan to the Mayor..... Actually, maybe we should e-mail the Mayor and give him the web address of this forum so that he can be kept apprised of our discussions here. :D

BTW, welcome to the forums StormShadow. Your input will be most appreciated. I realize that you have lived across Canada, but do you ever envisage yourself moving back to the Maritimes (and to Moncton specifically) when you have finished your architectural studies?

mylesmalley
Feb 7, 2009, 6:31 PM
Welcome, StormShadow! I had kind of a similar experience. I started lurking around by post 100, but didn't join for a long time. Glad I did though!

I'm not going to bother posting the articles in the Transcript today about the new 'metro centre'. They don't say anything that hasn't been printed 20 times before. The only surprise today was the number of ignorant or just plain stupid comments posted by anti-Acadian or anti-development people.

I'm really opposed to anonymous comment boards like the T&T. People sign up under a pseudonym and post whatever crazy or inflammatory thing that pops into their heads. At least on forums like SPP, you can comment directly to them, see past posts, and have open discussions on issues. Some days, those comment boards under articles are just as bad as those on YouTube videos: a third of them are racist, a third make absolutely no sense, and another third are advertising or propaganda. Anyway, that's my rant.

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 6:42 PM
I'm not going to bother posting the articles in the Transcript today about the new 'metro centre'. They don't say anything that hasn't been printed 20 times before. The only surprise today was the number of ignorant or just plain stupid comments posted by anti-Acadian or anti-development people.

I'm really opposed to anonymous comment boards like the T&T. People sign up under a pseudonym and post whatever crazy or inflammatory thing that pops into their heads. At least on forums like SPP, you can comment directly to them, see past posts, and have open discussions on issues. Some days, those comment boards under articles are just as bad as those on YouTube videos: a third of them are racist, a third make absolutely no sense, and another third are advertising or propaganda. Anyway, that's my rant.

Yeah I didnt bother to post the article about the Metro Center today as its just the same old same old...our MP supports it and wants the city to hurry up and get something ready to bring to Ottawa to ask for funding. Thats the whole article summed up in one sentence for ya haha.

I agree 100% about that comment board, its outright ridiculous the BS that gets posted there on a regular basis, I made an account so I could attempt to be a voice of reason on there, but its hard.

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 8:01 PM
Casino Update (From the Casino NB website)

Pics taken Jan 13, 2009

http://www.casinonb.ca/index_files/image483.jpg

http://www.casinonb.ca/index_files/image476.jpg

They also posted a new larger render.
http://www.casinonb.ca/index_files/image464.jpg

Dmajackson
Feb 7, 2009, 8:07 PM
Nice Casino Moncton :)

Whats up with the random lighthouse though?

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 8:18 PM

Something to do with tourists loving them and thinking thats all we have thats interesting in the maritimes? Looks kinda dumb when its at least 3km from a body of water though. And I find it gives the whole design a tacky feel, I actually like the Hotel and the center pavillion part, the casino section is just wonky looking though.

MonctonRad
Feb 7, 2009, 8:49 PM
Yeah I didnt bother to post the article about the Metro Center today as its just the same old same old...our MP supports it and wants the city to hurry up and get something ready to bring to Ottawa to ask for funding. Thats the whole article summed up in one sentence for ya haha.

I agree 100% about that comment board, its outright ridiculous the BS that gets posted there on a regular basis, I made an account so I could attempt to be a voice of reason on there, but its hard.

Yeah, the only thing the T&T is accomplishing by having at least one new article re: the arena every day is to keep the pressure on the politicians. It's all the same old same old though.

Lying Brian may want the city to hurry up so that he can prostrate himself in front of the federal trough but I can't see how the city can approach the feds until after they recieve the study they commissioned and then debate it first. The study won't be in until the end of April (and that's rushing it), so I can't see them having a proposal for Ottawa until at least late May or June.

The timing here unfortunately is a little off. I hope this doesn't imperil this project. :dunno:

mmmatt
Feb 7, 2009, 8:55 PM
The timing here unfortunately is a little off. I hope this doesn't imperil this project. :dunno:

I doubt it...the way things are looking the feds will be pushing $$$ into infrastructure for some time to come in a big way...Im sure the city can make a good case for it. What with the city and province already on board and the MANY good reasons for this project to go through, I cant see it being a problem.

mylesmalley
Feb 7, 2009, 9:15 PM

Because we maritimers are all about the ocean stuff, right? right?

As Matt said, it's tacky. Doesn't Casino NS have the same theme?

MonctonRad
Feb 7, 2009, 10:25 PM

Since it is Casino NB and not Casino Moncton, I have decided that I can live with the lighthouse theme but I don't think they should put the darn thing on top of the entrance to the casino. It would look better somewhere else.....at ground level.

Also, that isn't even a traditional Maritime style lighthouse.....ie, a tapering rectangular white painted wooden shingled structure with a red top. The style of lighthouse that they have chosen just looks tacky IMHO.

riverviewer
Feb 7, 2009, 11:16 PM
I had heard about the "lighthouse" theme. But that doesn't look like a lighthouse at all. Looks more like the Capitol Building with a shrunken head dome.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/captilobuilding.jpg

Another tacky lighthouse can be found on the river front trail in Riverview. It contains the restrooms.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/kylosaurus/lighthouse_can.jpg

Haliguy
Feb 8, 2009, 12:27 AM

Not really...actually in the inside when the new owners took it over they gave it a Carribean type theme which I find a bit tacky

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j260/a_gallant/casinoNoTanks.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with the lighthouse theme as I guess it represents Atlantic Canada but I also can see why you guys might find it bit tacky.

Jerry556
Feb 8, 2009, 1:22 AM
i dont know, not liking the lighthouse theme very much, especially the way they did it, plus especially where they building it.

riverviewer
Feb 8, 2009, 6:07 PM
Hmmm, that picture of Halifax's Casino looks more like a lighthouse to me. Setting the Lantern Room in a separate section helps with the imagery.

But, then again, maybe I am just being ethnocentric. Perhaps a lantern room can be placed on any structure and still classify as a lighthouse.

Haliguy
Feb 9, 2009, 1:51 AM
Hmmm, that picture of Halifax's Casino looks more like a lighthouse to me. Setting the Lantern Room in a separate section helps with the imagery.

But, then again, maybe I am just being ethnocentric. Perhaps a lantern room can be placed on any structure and still classify as a lighthouse.

True I guess when I look at closer it does. Never really thought of it looking like a light house. I think the difference is that the Halifax casino emulates a light house whereas the one in Moncton imitates a lighthouse.

BlackYear
Feb 9, 2009, 3:31 AM
Here's the new St-Hubert with the advertised grand opening set for February 10th. One of the nicest restaurants in town, IMO. Since I was in the area, I decided to take a pic of Montana's which is next door. Third photo is the new mini mall strip on Mt-Road.

Sorry for the slight blurriness. I didn't bother with the tripod.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/sthubert.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/montana.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j303/blacquiere/Moncton/mtroad.jpg

mmmatt
Feb 9, 2009, 4:22 AM
^ Wow! :)

nice pics, thanks for the update.

I agree St Hubert was very well done, 100% better than the old one.

MonctonRad
Feb 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
Here's the new St-Hubert with the advertised grand opening set for February 10th. One of the nicest restaurants in town, IMO.

I think I would qualify that statement a bit. There are a number of fine restaurants in Moncton. I agree with you that the new St. Hubert's is perhaps one of the most architecturally interesting restaurants in town. :)

BlackYear
Feb 9, 2009, 9:22 PM
I think I would qualify that statement a bit. There are a number of fine restaurants in Moncton. I agree with you that the new St. Hubert's is perhaps one of the most architecturally interesting restaurants in town. :)

Yes, you are correct. One of the nicest architecturally designed eateries in Moncton. I like chicken like the next guy, but it's definitely not the finest menu in town! :tomato:

MonctonRad
Feb 9, 2009, 11:16 PM
Harrisville rezoning sought
Published Monday February 9th, 2009

Moncton council has refered matter to planing commission

Moncton city council looked at an application to rezone a piece of land at the northwest corner of Shediac Road and Harrisville Boulevard at its meeting last Monday night.

The plan is to rezone the land, also bounded by Weston Street, to a suburban commercial designation from its current R2 residential zoning.

The change is sought to accommodate the construction of a small suburban strip mall.

Council has referred the matter to the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission for its recommendations and scheduled a public presentation of the proponent's plans for March 2.

As well a public hearing into the matter will come the night council is likely (though not certain) to make its decision on the parcel, at its regular public meeting of April 6.

Personal note: This is a small matter but it is still one more step towards Harrisville/Dieppe Blvds becoming the main commercial corridor for Moncton East and Uptown Dieppe.

We have Fox Creek Golf Course, the new Dieppe Co-op, the Dieppe Aquatic Centre, The Irving HQ, The Super 8 and Holiday Inn Express hotels, the new proposed Sobey's at Harrisville & Rt. 15 and the direct connection through to the TCH and the Caledonia Industrial Park.

I see that there are now large "for sale" signs lining Harrisville between Rt. 15 and the Shediac Rd. This has occurred since they upgraded the water mains out there this summer. Perhaps this is an indication of more things happening in the future. :)

C_Boy
Feb 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thats exactly it. Too much interference, there are at least 5 cell towers within 2 km of the mall and I always have perfect signal anywhere in metro moncton, but as soon as you go into the mall of wal-mart etc its down to 1 or 2 bars.

Good news for Aliant users on this note... One of my friends was at Sounds Fantastic the other day and while he was there questioned the reception at the mall. As well all know the new renovations (ceiling)really decreased the all ready poor signal. Apparently Bell Aliant is now putting 4 antennas in the mall at different locations so we can get signal all over. Places like Walmart area, American Eagle, Sports Check, and Sobey's I think. :)

stephan.richard
Feb 10, 2009, 2:13 AM
Does anybody know that will be going in the old Fairweather, Disney store location in the champlain place it looks like that has been boarded up forever and also what will be going in the old Stitches location also and will Fairrweathers be moving accross the hall to mak eway for H&M? I am just curious on this..

MonctonRad
Feb 10, 2009, 3:21 AM
Does anybody know that will be going in the old Fairweather, Disney store location in the champlain place it looks like that has been boarded up forever and also what will be going in the old Stitches location also and will Fairrweathers be moving accross the hall to mak eway for H&M? I am just curious on this..

H&M is going in the old Fairweather/Disney location. Fairweather meanwhile will be decamping across the hall to the old Tabi location.

La Vie en Rose & Aqua is moving into the location previously occupied by R&W (which is now located in the old Pseudio location).

Also, Coles is moving out of Champlain and Le Blue Jean is already gone.

And the old Champlain Place two-step continues. There are several other stores closed for renovations and I'm sure that there will be even more shuffling about in the next several months as other tenants spruce up their surroundings to match the overall mall renovations.

The wild card in all this of course is the recession. While the Moncton franchises of these national chains have faired reasonably well, this does not count for much if the rest of the nation is crashing and burning. I expect to see more mall vacancies before the year is out.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 10, 2009, 1:33 PM
I'm really amazed that Coles is leaving the mall...I asked the manager the other day if they were moving somewhere else...and she had no idea.

I'm still surprised they haven't managed to 'connect' Champlain Mall and Crystal Palace/Chapters either via underground tunnel or directly....that'd be amazing.

JL

mmmatt
Feb 10, 2009, 1:49 PM
I'm really amazed that Coles is leaving the mall...I asked the manager the other day if they were moving somewhere else...and she had no idea.

I'm still surprised they haven't managed to 'connect' Champlain Mall and Crystal Palace/Chapters either via underground tunnel or directly....that'd be amazing.

JL

Yeah I was surprised about Coles as well...they seem to do well and always have people in there...I think this is just a cost trimming measure by Indigo, due to the recession etc. Perhaps they will come back in a couple years.

And its funny you mention a pedway to Crystal Palace as I was just talking about that with my g/f yesterday when we were at the mall. It makes a lot of sense, I mean think about coming with your family, staying at the Ramada and kids playing at the park...then coming over to shop without having to go outside...especially when we have weather like recently, it would work well. Both buildings and the lot between them are owned by the same company, so why not? They could even put an elevated pedway over the roads to keep traffic flowing around the mall etc.

acrew79
Feb 10, 2009, 3:03 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just a note on the topic. Maybe a couple reasons why they are reluctant to link the two.

I know a couple yrs ago ( 1999) when JC PEnny was rumoured to come to the mall.. they wanted to link the two. but that plan fell through.

a pedway/ tunnel may not work simply because the mall is sinking and the ground is not stable enough.

MonctonRad
Feb 10, 2009, 3:32 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just a note on the topic. Maybe a couple reasons why they are reluctant to link the two.

I know a couple yrs ago ( 1999) when JC PEnny was rumoured to come to the mall.. they wanted to link the two. but that plan fell through.

a pedway/ tunnel may not work simply because the mall is sinking and the ground is not stable enough.

Regarding the mall, I am not aware of the mall "sinking". There is no question however that the marshy ground the mall is built on is somewhat unstable (just look at the frost heaves in the parking lot each winter). The mall however must be structurally stable - why else would Cadillac Fairview spend $14M just this last year on mall renovations?

If the land is stable enough for Champlain Place and for Crystal Palace, then it would be stable enough for a pedway. If it has not been built yet, it is only because of cost considerations and/or worries over obstructing traffic flow in the parking lot.

JimiThing
Feb 10, 2009, 5:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have heard something similar in the past. Although different to your statement, I have heard that it is not the mall that is sinking it's the ground bellow and the parking around it. Since the mall is built on a pile foundation the chances of it sinking are pretty much nil.

JasonL-Moncton
Feb 10, 2009, 6:16 PM
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the 'old section' (Sears to Walmart-original section) of the mall has been sinking ever so slightly (fractions of an inch) since the 70's due to it being built on swamp...another reason why the mall expanded 'out' and not 'up', but when they added the new areas they put piles on the bedrock to support the mall.

Now if they did build some sort of structure to connect the two, it would be connected to the new end anyway because that is the closest area to CP.

Jason

mylesmalley
Feb 10, 2009, 7:30 PM
I can't see them building a tunnel between the two unless something gets built in between. That'd be quite a distance to cover, even for a tunnel, and I suspect you'd have security issues. That said, if a new big-box store or a general expansion to the mall was added, a passageway could be a possible option. I doubt we'll see much change to the size of the mall now though. Parking there is almost always an issue and adding a new section would probably necessitate the need for a parking structure of some sort...which would cost a fortune considering the marshy soil underneath.

I think the biggest force against that is just the current style in store construction. A lot of big box retailers -especially- WalMart, prefer standalone stores, or at most strip mall/power centres. It gives them a certain degree of gravitas as they dominate their lot and full control over parking. But most importantly, being outside of malls usually means lower rent. I know that the Walmart in Fredericton wanted to move out of Regent Mall to save on rent. The mall had to build a giant hallway thing to connect the store to the rest of the mall to appease them.

So, while I hate malls in general, and especially hate power centres, I don't see trend changing back into indoor malls anytime soon.

MonctonRad
Feb 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
Metro's menu expands
Published Tuesday February 10th, 2009

New and expanded St. Hubert latest restaurant to cash in on Metro's growing economy
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

Today's opening of the new St-Hubert rôtisserie on Carson Drive is the latest in a series of revamped dining establishments in Metro Moncton and another indication that the local economy is doing well.

http://harvest.canadaeast.com/image.php?id=245690&size=500x0
GREG AGNEW/TIMES & TRANSCRIPT
The new St. Hubert restaurant in Moncton opens today. The popular spot features new contemporary styling. An urban designed Resto Bar, seen here, features live music. "It shows that our economy is growing and, with it, our quality of life; they go together," says Ben Champoux, economic development officer for the City of Moncton.

The new St-Hubert opens its doors to the public at 11 a.m. today in a new and much larger location than the old place on Mountain Road. Company officials from the franchise head office in Montreal were in Moncton last night to snip the ribbon on the new restaurant.

It features a bar, main dining room, children's room and conference room that together offer seating for more than 300 people. It also has separate pickup area for take-out orders and, for the first time, a drive-thru window. Owners say the bigger and improved restaurant will see the staff go from 60 to 125. The new restaurant has a contemporary decor, dark woods contrasting with white brick and plaster, along with African-style decorations and lighting. The bar has a music theme and includes a small dance floor, with room for live entertainment.

Over the last six months, several new restaurants have opened in Moncton, including Portofino's Italian eatery on Weldon Street, the Keg Steakhouse and Bar on Main Street, the City Grill on Westmorland Street, Japanese Pink Sushi on Main Street, Diesel Pizza in Riverview and a new Quizno's Sub on Elmwood Drive. Construction of a new Papa John's Pizza at 939 Mountain Road, in a former Need's Convenience Store location, is nearing completion and should open soon.

Several chain restaurants have also seen additions and renovations over the last six months, including the Boston Pizza on Mountain Road.

Overall, Metro Moncton has hundreds of dining spots for burgers, fish & chips, steaks, subs, pizza, donairs and fine dining.

Champoux says the number of restaurants represents Moncton's taste for different foods and also different cultures. It also points to the amount of disposable income among the growing population. And since many of the dining places are franchises which do their homework before opening, it stands as more proof that restaurants do well here.

"If they couldn't make it work, they wouldn't come here."

Champoux and others say the restaurant business goes hand-in-hand with retail and the fact that so many people come to Metro Moncton from all over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for business and shopping trips. Concerts, hockey games, sports tournaments and other events also draw people from out of town.

ErickMontreal
Feb 10, 2009, 10:28 PM
Mega Wraps located on Main street has closed his doors.

Seriously, the retail aspect along Main street is a total failure.

MonctonRad
Feb 10, 2009, 10:44 PM

They are opening a new location on Mountain Road adjacent to NBCC. This must be a direct transfer of that particular site.

BlackYear
Feb 10, 2009, 10:48 PM

Just like Quizno's, looks like it just to difficult to try and sell enough lunch time products between 8am and 5pm. Main street during the winter months can be a killer for some businesses.

What ever happen to the dome project for Main street.

bam63
Feb 10, 2009, 11:31 PM
These types of eateries will never survive downtown without a major draw like a new arena " Highfield Center"

mylesmalley
Feb 11, 2009, 12:10 AM
Highfield Place
Westmorland Centre
Codiac Centre
Place-Acadie

....anything but Metro Centre

David_99
Feb 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
Just like Quizno's, looks like it just to difficult to try and sell enough lunch time products between 8am and 5pm. Main street during the winter months can be a killer for some businesses.

Moncton weather defintely affects this type of business. We aren't Vancouver where people are literally able to walk everywhere almost every day. The only thing to stop people there is rain, but they counteract this by adding plexiglass sheets all along Robson St to protect people form the weather.

http://www.ourbc.com/discover_bc/coffee_shops/starbucks/vancouver/robson_thurlow_01_640.jpg

Obviously this wouldn't work here. Instead I always wondered why more shops along Main didn't have temporary parking in back (along Queen) and a back enterance. This would give the option during winter to park behind the shop/eatery and enter from the back, not having to weather the storm while parking in the Aliant lot and walking half way up Main.

This way, Mega Wraps or Candy Chameleon or wherever could become a "destination" instead of them having to rely on the walk-by traffic. Not much walking going on when it's -40!

bam63
Feb 11, 2009, 1:03 AM
Places like the Keg,Pumphouse are swamped all week because they are destination points.No one makes a point to drive downtown,find a place to park and then walk three blocks to get a footlong at subway,its alot easier on mountain road.Just think about thousands of people spilling out onto downtown streets three or four times a week!!!???