PDA

View Full Version : SAN FRANCISCO | Projects: Under Construction, Approved, and Proposed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

CyberEric
Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 AM
While I welcome most of these buildings (I think 100 Van Ness is bland), I do think that it's important that SF retains its character as beautiful but gritty, earthy, bohemian, edgy while still promoting dense growth. I have no idea how or if these glass buildings will change that.

I just moved away from SF (to London for 6 months, I will be back) and I can tell you what I miss most about SF is its density, its strong character, its gay community, its anything-goes attitude, its musical community, its food, its "we do things differently here" feel.)
How these new buildings built of glass may or may not affect that, I'm not sure, but I do hope the city does not become generic. One person might argue that glass buildings will make it just like every other city. Others might argue the architectural change equals keeping the city fresh. Either view has merit. One thing I am noticing in London as it becomes more and more of a bankers town, the more glass buildings are going up, and the more the city is losing its interesting people and character. I do not wish the same for SF.

Sorry if this sounds a little "conservative," I just think it's worth mentioning.

ElDuderino
Aug 6, 2012, 9:54 PM
While I welcome most of these buildings (I think 100 Van Ness is bland)

100 Van Ness is a reclad. There is not much else they could do with the existing box body, and it's certainly worlds better than the current look.

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 6, 2012, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=CyberEric;5789517]

To add to the dialogue, & not meant to be disagreeable, I do believe buildings can change the visual mood of a city, but are not responsible for the change in it's culture. The culture, I believe, is what changes the physical character of a city. I've lived in San Francisco since 1969 & have seen a great change in it's culture due to immigration & to expensive property values. For these 2 reasons the city has changed dramatically.

I was in London in May 2012 on a English pipe organ tour. We had 2 young men guiding us, organists, and they were apalled by the highrise boom in London, particulary the Shard (which I loved). I can well understand their horror seeing their old city getting a new skyline, & respect their point of view. I do not have the attachment they have to London so I am more open to the changes taking place there.

As to my neighborhood (Civic Center/South of Market), I've lived in the Fox Plaza for 41 years & am very open to the great changes going on outside of my window as the area has been something of a desert at night (except for the bums). The type of highrise development is what makes a neighborhood, & the apartment boom in my area will give us a nice mix.

The point I am making is that one has to look at a highrise for what is it & what it does. Sim City is a game, and a real highrise is what makes a real neighborhood.

hruski
Aug 7, 2012, 1:00 AM
[QUOTE=CyberEric;5789517]

To add to the dialogue, & not meant to be disagreeable, I do believe buildings can change the visual mood of a city, but are not responsible for the change in it's culture. The culture, I believe, is what changes the physical character of a city. I've lived in San Francisco since 1969 & have seen a great change in it's culture due to immigration & to expensive property values. For these 2 reasons the city has changed dramatically.

I was in London in May 2012 on a English pipe organ tour. We had 2 young men guiding us, organists, and they were apalled by the highrise boom in London, particulary the Shard (which I loved). I can well understand their horror seeing their old city getting a new skyline, & respect their point of view. I do not have the attachment they have to London so I am more open to the changes taking place there.

As to my neighborhood (Civic Center/South of Market), I've lived in the Fox Plaza for 41 years & am very open to the great changes going on outside of my window as the area has been something of a desert at night (except for the bums). The type of highrise development is what makes a neighborhood, & the apartment boom in my area will give us a nice mix.

The point I am making is that one has to look at a highrise for what is it & what it does. Sim City is a game, and a real highrise is what makes a real neighborhood.

A highrise does not make a real neighborhood. Soma, the Financial District, Rincon Hill, and Civic Center are sterile neighborhoods without character, lasting charm, or a distinct "feel." The greatest neighborhoods in North Beach, the Mission, the Haight, the Castro, and so on, don't have any highrises.

I'm pro-development, but only because I recognize that more density leads to more housing supply and more jobs in The City, and because I simply love tall buildings as a "tourist in my own city." But as far as creating great neighborhoods, highrises are not the solution, even if they are far better than empty warehouses and pawn shops.

sofresh808
Aug 7, 2012, 7:46 AM
A highrise does not make a real neighborhood. Soma, the Financial District, Rincon Hill, and Civic Center are sterile neighborhoods without character, lasting charm, or a distinct "feel." The greatest neighborhoods in North Beach, the Mission, the Haight, the Castro, and so on, don't have any highrises.

I'm pro-development, but only because I recognize that more density leads to more housing supply and more jobs in The City, and because I simply love tall buildings as a "tourist in my own city." But as far as creating great neighborhoods, highrises are not the solution, even if they are far better than empty warehouses and pawn shops.

Nob Hill and Russian Hill have highrises, character and are pretty desirable. The Fidi and Civic Center are still mostly 9-5 employment centers, so not really fair comparisons to the Haight or North Beach. Highrise superblocks do generally suck, but a mixture of highrises and low rises can create as vibrant a neighborhood as those you have mentioned.

CyberEric
Aug 7, 2012, 9:50 AM
I appreciate the dialogue guys, I think it's important to talk about our cities and to get perspective on them. Moving away from SF has allowed me to think about what I like about it, and what I hope it can retain as it grows and changes.

ozone
Aug 7, 2012, 3:14 PM
High-rises are not the only logical response to limited space, housing demand, and a desire for dense living. People claim that we need build higher because of land costs and to achieve higher densities. But that's really not true. High-rises may produce a slightly higher density but then you have to leave space between them to insure sunlight.

Paris is basically a city made up of 6-story apartment blocks- a very dense population. If the city were to adopt the Parisian model and encourage a lot more mid-rise infill it could produce roughly the same units per acre as a bunch high-rises would. And since the cost to build a six-story, mid-rise building is lower than a high-rise, in theory, that would make them more affordable. There is a surprising amount of space left in the city to do this. Even the ubiquitous 3-story storefront buildings could add 3-4 floors.

I am not against high-rises at all. I just want to be honest about it and say that I want to see them built because I appreciate their form and I understand that there's enough people who desire to live in them to make them worthwhile and not because I think they are the real answer to our housing problem.

Aug 7, 2012, 4:01 PM
Here's an update about 8 Octavia. It'd be great to get this one rolling as it is one of the 'gateways' to the city.

Having been waylaid by the market for a few years, the proposed Stanley Saitowitz | Natoma Architects designed building which rises between five and eight stories and yields 49 condos over 2,085 square feet of ground floor retail and 25 parking spaces is headed before the Planning Commission this week seeking their blessing to be built.
According to a plugged-in source, the developers plan to start building this fall if approved.

Source and more info: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/08/8_octavia_back_in_the_pluggedin_publics_eye_and_ready_t.html#comments

http://www.socketsite.com/8%20Octavia%20Rendering%20Corner.jpg
Source: www.socketsite.com

http://www.socketsite.com/8%20Octavia%20Rendering.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/8%20Octavia%20Rendering%20Market.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/8%20Octavia%20Rendering%20Side.jpg

colemonkee
Aug 7, 2012, 4:26 PM
^ Now that is quite nice. Responds well to the difference in grade, and I love the idea of a little cafe or coffee shop or wine bar nestled into the bottom corner. The glass fins remind me a bit of the 25 story or so commercial highrise built in SF's financial district a few years ago (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

ozone
Aug 7, 2012, 5:57 PM
^ Now that is quite nice. Responds well to the difference in grade, and I love the idea of a little cafe or coffee shop or wine bar nestled into the bottom corner. The glass fins remind me a bit of the 25 story or so commercial highrise built in SF's financial district a few years ago (the name of which escapes me at the moment).

I'm usually a fan of modern architecture but for some reason I'm not loving this.
I seems a little too 1960's to me.

easy as pie
Aug 7, 2012, 7:22 PM
yeah, i don't see this one approved without a better treatment of the market street side. unpainted concrete walls don't tend to be approved on show streets.

fflint
Aug 7, 2012, 8:26 PM
Isn't the Saitowitz design for 8 Octavia a contest-winner?

rriojas71
Aug 7, 2012, 9:06 PM
I'm usually a fan of modern architecture but for some reason I'm not loving this.
I seems a little too 1960's to me.

I totally agree with you on this Ozone. It looks like the fins were put there to try to distract people from the fact that it looks like a Soviet block residential tower from the 60's.
I am very familiar with this intersection and I think it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. It's just to blocky and bulky looking for my tastes.

Aug 7, 2012, 10:24 PM
Isn't the Saitowitz design for 8 Octavia a contest-winner?

Yes.

Aug 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
Nice improvement, imo. This should really bring life to a former dead block.

Apparently, getting everyone in the same building encourages collaboration. That's the theory behind the Metropolitan Transportation Commission's decision to co-habit with other agencies at 390 Main Street, the WWII-era tank factory that later became a USPS distribution center. With a choice location amidst new condo construction and the Transbay Terminal, the hulking grey mass may suddenly become the belle of the ball. Despite ongoing opposition from the East Bay politicians, the MTC is going ahead with plans to give the building a new look and a new life.

PDF - http://mtc.ca.gov/meetings/special/baha_baamqd_abag_2012-07-11/390_Main_presentation_7-11-12.pdf

and more at sfcurbed (http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/08/07/transforming_everyones_favorite_tank_factory_into_regional_hq_for_acronyms.php).

easy as pie
Aug 8, 2012, 12:09 AM
I totally agree with you on this Ozone. It looks like the fins were put there to try to distract people from the fact that it looks like a Soviet block residential tower from the 60's.
I am very familiar with this intersection and I think it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. It's just to blocky and bulky looking for my tastes.

right - a lot will depend on the lighting and fenestration (colors and tones, specifically). i'd be far more enthusiastic about this one if it wrapped around market street and gave us more functional retail instead of that small plaza (lobby entrance?). it's a tough spot, but that corner should be impeccable, and it's very peccable as currently designed. also, an extra story or two on market street would really do some good, not sure what the developer would be willing to give in exchange, but i'm sure we could extract a number of improvements for something that would improve the street presence immeasurably.

NoTroubleMikeG
Aug 8, 2012, 4:42 PM
This all looks really good for the city, I love most of these towers, and none of them are appalling by any stretch, at least in my opinion. Do you guys know what happened to the Treasure Island towers that were being discussed a while back? I think the main tower of the complex was called the Sun Tower, though I'm not sure.

rriojas71
Aug 8, 2012, 9:05 PM
right - a lot will depend on the lighting and fenestration (colors and tones, specifically). i'd be far more enthusiastic about this one if it wrapped around market street and gave us more functional retail instead of that small plaza (lobby entrance?). it's a tough spot, but that corner should be impeccable, and it's very peccable as currently designed. also, an extra story or two on market street would really do some good, not sure what the developer would be willing to give in exchange, but i'm sure we could extract a number of improvements for something that would improve the street presence immeasurably.

Good call Easy... I thought the same thing about a taller portion of the building that would face Market St. as well. I think the lighting will help the area at night, but it's the daytime aesthetics that has me worried. The renderings give me the impression that it's going to look cheap.
I am excited that something is going to be built there, but that intersection needs something more visually appealing IMHO. Like you said that corner should be impeccable. I view it as the dividing line between Central and Upper Market and it needs something that marries the transition. Good retail would help as well as a design that is less intimidating.

peanut gallery
Aug 8, 2012, 11:36 PM

Not to speak for Jerry here, but I read his comment not to mean you must have highrises to make a real neighborhood, but rather within the context of discussing highrises, a well designed one is a welcome addition as it brings a lot more people to a neighborhood that has been devoid of them after work times.

peanut gallery
Aug 8, 2012, 11:43 PM
Regarding 8 Octavia:

Responds well to the difference in grade

Really? I think it does the opposite by keeping a flat roofline despite the change in street grade.

yeah, i don't see this one approved without a better treatment of the market street side. unpainted concrete walls don't tend to be approved on show streets.

Me too. My first reaction was that it seems to turn its back on Market. I mostly like the Octavia side though.

I'm with you on all this as well. However, I think this will fly through approvals with very little change.

peanut gallery
Aug 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts, but there are so many different topics to discuss!

Regarding the MTC building that 1977 posted: I was reading about that yesterday and though it won't look all that different from the outside, their plans for the interior will make this a really nice work space. And there is the bonus of some additional retail along Beale and what could be a nice pedestrian path mid-block. It looks like the Harrison frontage will remain a large, imposing wall however.

On another topic, I was near Pier 27 yesterday and the America's Cup/Cruise terminal building is coming along. It looked to me like the steel framing is all in place and possibly the roof too. Shouldn't take long to add the glass walls and get the interior started. Much work to do where the fire was, however.

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 10, 2012, 6:28 AM
I see at Socket Site, (http://www.socketsite.com/, August 9, 2012) that the low income housing building proposed for 1400 Mission Street have been redesigned. New plans now show a 15 story tower on 10th Street & a 10 story on Mission Street. Currently the site is being used by Crescent Heights to build at Market & 10th Streets for the construction of the market rate highrises. When completed the west block of 10th Street will be fully developed with high rise buildings by 2015 between Market St. & Mission St. The drawings are sketchy, but I do not expect too much desing for a low income building. I will not see much of it from my window due to the Crescent Heights development.

timbad
Aug 13, 2012, 3:43 AM
quick shot from Foundry Square 3 from Saturday evening, looking east along Howard with other Foundries in the background:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8447/7770808944_798154e905_b.jpg

... and a crane is going up at the 333 Fremont site (which I think would make it about the 26th in the City right now? ;) ); looking south along Fremont

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7770849340_58cd41280f_b.jpg

a better look at the happenings in the deep hole:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8440/7771186800_29ee096a38_b.jpg

as seen in the previous photos, 333 Harrison progresses:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8444/7771099626_aceac73e73_b.jpg

lz131313
Aug 13, 2012, 3:51 AM
i am freaking tired of low rises such as foundry square ! why cant they go highrise? i mean its in the middle of SOMA ? ive always disliked the foundry projects they look like they belong in santa clara/silicon valley...

ozone
Aug 13, 2012, 6:42 AM
i am freaking tired of low rises such as foundry square ! why cant they go highrise? i mean its in the middle of SOMA ? ive always disliked the foundry projects they look like they belong in santa clara/silicon valley...

In reality low-rises among high-rises create visual drama that you wouldn't have if every freak'n building were a high-rise.

peanut gallery
Aug 13, 2012, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the updates, timbad. Lots of progress on all of those since I've been by them.

John King takes a look at some of the early concepts that may drive the Market St. redesign project, from the SF Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/article/Market-Street-proposals-focus-on-flow-3783302.php):

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/51/14/3314455/5/628x471.jpg

Market Street proposals focus on flow
S.F. Urban planning Innovative plans alter bike paths, streetcar stops
John King
Monday, August 13, 2012

In the most recent batch of design concepts for Market Street, planners say they want "a simplicity of place and movement" to define San Francisco's main drag.

One would add bike lanes like no bike lanes found in this country, separated paths forming a buffer between pedestrians and motor vehicles. The other would reduce the number of historic streetcar stops as part of an effort to improve the movement of transit on a street where 17 Muni lines meet.

The Department of Public Works has earmarked $42 million to repave the blocks between Van Ness and Steuart streets in 2016. That commitment serves as a prod to rethink elements of the brick-lined promenade, which was redesigned in the 1960s but never became the ceremonial joy that boosters predicted.

The planning concept is that the two central lanes of Market, one in each direction, would be reserved for streetcars and express buses. The distance between these stops would be no longer than what's now on lines along the Embarcadero, but the vehicles would be able to move more smoothly and swiftly. The outer lanes, meanwhile, would continue to serve bus lines that stop more often.

The idea would be to pull back sidewalks 8 feet to introduce "cycle tracks" - a paved path higher than the street but lower than the sidewalk. It's a separated band that hasn't been seen in the United States but is found in some European cities, and the feel would be much more inviting than the green striped bike lanes now found on some blocks.

peanut gallery
Aug 13, 2012, 7:36 PM
The old Hibernia Bank at Jones and McAllister may be getting closer to a new life. Today, SocketSite gives us the scoop (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/08/historic_hibernia_bank_building_then_now_and_as_propose.html):

http://www.socketsite.com/Hibernia%20Bank%202012.jpg

Historic Hibernia Bank Building: Then, Now And As Newly Proposed
August 13, 2012
SocketSite

The vacant building was purchased for $3.9 million in 2008. And while the owners have "no tenant or particular use for the property" in mind, they now have a plan to renovate:

Proposed exterior work includes two new stair penthouses, replacement of the existing elevator penthouse, enlargement of three existing window openings for new exit doors at north and west elevations, removal of portion of the existing wrought iron gate at west elevation, and rehabilitation of existing windows, steel roll-up security grilles, and granite.

At the interior, new shear walls and an elevator will be installed, a fire suppression system will be installed, portions of the existing teller counter will be removed and stored on site, and character-defining features and materials such as the extensive decorative marble, plaster, and stained glass will be protected in place and cleaned and repaired only as necessary.

It would be nice if there was a specific proposed use, but at least they are taking care of it and perhaps they have something in the works but just aren't ready to go public with it.

easy as pie
Aug 13, 2012, 8:10 PM
one of the best parts of the better market street proposals is this one:

The report suggests raising the sunken spaces at Hallidie Plaza to "create a large new civic space for San Francisco."

i've been carping about that for years! this would be such a huge benefit to the entire area.

peanut gallery
Aug 13, 2012, 8:54 PM
^Definitely! That's such a mess today. I'm also interested in this concept:

Market Street's sidewalk area would be divided into a 14-foot-wide "pedestrian throughway" along the buildings and a "streetlife zone" between 5 and 14 feet wide. The latter would include seating, street trees, bus shelters and a distinct paving system.

Walking along Market I've often noticed that somewhere around 10' or so of the sidewalk is underutilized space because it's filled with trees, poles, signage, etc so it's really difficult to walk through, yet there's not much else you can currently do in that area. It would be nice if that were designed from the beginning to be a space to stop and/or sit or go at a slower pace anyway and keep the rest of it for people on the move. I can envision a much more pleasant streetscape near the curb under that scenario, especially with a calmer roadway.

sahran
Aug 14, 2012, 4:30 PM
Just wondering, any news on either 222 Second Street, 45 Lansing or 201 Folsom? I believe that possibly all three were to break ground before the end of the year. Thanks!

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
I walked across the street from 55 Ninth St. & got this unique picture (as the view will be gone forever in a few months). The hole in the ground is now about 1 story deep - the mound of dirt hides the hole in the picture. Today there are 2 machines digging dirt furiously.

As the site is about where the bay shore used to be, I wonder if any historical treasures will be unearthed?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/7784490216_f5bd93fb64_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7784490216/)

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 14, 2012, 11:15 PM
A view today, August 14th, from 9th Street & Jessie looking west. at the Crescent Heights North development. On the right is the former Mart II building, now Market Square. On the left side of Jessie Street is low income and senior housing. With construction on 9th & 10th Streets there is a lot of noise during the day & sometimes at night when I open my balcony door.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8296/7784567500_6deeeff7ce_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7784567500/)

minesweeper
Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
Just wondering, any news on either 222 Second Street, 45 Lansing or 201 Folsom? I believe that possibly all three were to break ground before the end of the year. Thanks!

I have no inside info, but checking SF Planning's property database (http://www.sf-planning.org/index.aspx?page=2702), here's a status update:

No news on 222 Second St. It's looking more likely to begin in Q1 of 2013.
45 Lansing is deep in the process of getting the construction permit approved. It's been winding its way through Planning since it was revived late last year. I would guess that it'll get approved in the next month or two, but it's been moving very slowly for some reason.
201 Folsom just filed for its construction permit in July, so it's got further to go before construction can begin. They have a September deadline coming up, so it's not clear if they'll seek another extension, or if they'll get some sort of fast-track approval.

jbm
Aug 15, 2012, 3:21 AM
on the topic of crescent heights, it looks like in the last few days they finally got above ground with at least part of the middle building, which I believe will be the tallest.

lz131313
Aug 15, 2012, 4:58 AM
one of the best parts of the better market street proposals is this one:

The report suggests raising the sunken spaces at Hallidie Plaza to "create a large new civic space for San Francisco."

i've been carping about that for years! this would be such a huge benefit to the entire area.

YES!! i i think they should raise the lower BART entrance area and put in stadium seating and a large screen/tron to broadcast sporting events and other special telecast it would be like a mini times square ! there should be more electronic signage something vibrant ! but i can only dream lol im 16 btw and i love buildings and architecture! :)

peanut gallery
Aug 15, 2012, 4:45 PM
Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding.

Steel for two of the three new floors has risen:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7786588622_d069fb5fd5_b.jpg

You can see some of the outward expansion here on the western side of the building:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7786585720_617ca160a8_b.jpg

easy as pie
Aug 15, 2012, 6:50 PM
YES!! i i think they should raise the lower BART entrance area and put in stadium seating and a large screen/tron to broadcast sporting events and other special telecast it would be like a mini times square ! there should be more electronic signage something vibrant ! but i can only dream lol im 16 btw and i love buildings and architecture! :)

yeah, since the plaza is hollowed out alread, one imagines that the grade-level covering will be more of a platform, with continued retail uses underground, could get kind of interesting, depending on how much money they feel is available.

ElDuderino
Aug 15, 2012, 8:54 PM
Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding.

Steel for two of the three new floors has risen...

Wow..I didn't realize they were adding on any floors :tup:

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 16, 2012, 6:24 AM
JBM - the middle structure will be the lowest for the Crescent Heights development, unless the plans have changed. You can view a picture of it here: http://sf.curbed.com/tags/crescent-heights

timbad
Aug 16, 2012, 6:36 AM
Here's a quick update on 680 Folsom expansion and re-cladding. ...

thanks pg - one of the nicest things about this project for me is that that corner of Third and Folsom will get opened up, maybe with a little plaza of some sort. it is so cramped now, especially with a Muni stop there. some breathing room would be welcome.

that together with the still-forming Moscone expansion plans for the garage next door have the potential for making that block (along Third) much more pleasant to walk along. :tup:

Mojeda101
Aug 16, 2012, 7:19 AM
I'm proud of San Francisco. Really wish LA had the amount of work.

Aug 16, 2012, 7:11 PM
The new SF JAZZ building (http://www.earthcam.com/clients/common/enlarge_image_public.php?type=still&path=http://archives.earthcam.com/archives5/ecnetwork/us/ca/sanfrancisco/jazzmp//2012/08/16/1100.jpg&name=SF%20Jazz&width=800&height=600&img_width=2592&img_height=1944) is coming along nicely.

Also, the SF Business Times has a write up and interior shots (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2012/08/sfjazz-center-construction-jamming-along.html) as well.

easy as pie
Aug 16, 2012, 9:23 PM
yeah, i walked by last night, definitely coming along nicely, definitely looks to be delivered on time, though i guess with highly technical acoustic design, there's always the chance of a delay.

Aug 18, 2012, 1:21 AM
55 Laguna was approved by the Planning Commission last night:

http://sf.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/overview.jpg
Source: sf.streetsblog.org
The SF Planning Commission unanimously approved a major housing development at 55 Laguna Street yesterday, despite an excessive amount of car parking that livable streets advocates say violates local parking maximums.

The development would include two housing projects: one with 330 apartments, and another with 110 affordable housing units (with no parking) reserved for LGBT seniors. They would share a block at Laguna and Waller with existing buildings owned by the University of California, filling in what is currently mostly a parking lot, used primarily for the UC Dental School. All told, 310 underground parking spaces would be built on the site.
Source & article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/08/17/despite-skewed-parking-math-planning-commission-approves-55-laguna/#more-287380

hruski
Aug 18, 2012, 1:47 AM
55 Laguna was approved by the Planning Commission last night:

http://sf.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/overview.jpg
Source: sf.streetsblog.org

Source & article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/08/17/despite-skewed-parking-math-planning-commission-approves-55-laguna/#more-287380

Can someone summarize why it's legal to reserve affordable housing for LGBT seniors?

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 18, 2012, 3:38 AM
I got a notice from the San Francisco Planning Department today concerning the proposed development at 101 Polk Street (bounded by Hayes and Lech Walesa Streets). The letter received today is a Notice of Project Receiving Environmental Review. The building will be 13 stories, 120 feet tall, residential with about 163 units, above subgrade parking for 62 vehicles and 57 bicycles. The lot is currently used for parking.

Across the street is another parking lot slated for housing. Development in the neighborhood is at a feverish pace!

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 18, 2012, 8:40 AM
1977 - thanks for the update & drawing. I was not aware of the activity on this project this week. I'm glad to see that property which has been empty for so many years moving toward development. And it looks nice.

coyotetrickster
Aug 18, 2012, 5:47 PM
Can someone summarize why it's legal to reserve affordable housing for LGBT seniors?

Because it's part of city housing policy to create affordable housing for all minorities. And, it's like any other affinity housing, which is legal. You have retirement homes for catholics, jews, etc.

Aug 19, 2012, 12:42 AM
I posted this over at the Transbay Tower thread, but felt like it should be here as well. Anyone know what this means exactly? Delays? Cancelation? Hopefully, it's just a small bump in the road. I know SF has one of the strongest office markets in the US, so it seems as if the demand is there, and that Hines would still want to move forward asap. Either way, it's kind of a bummer.

MetLife No Longer Involved In San Francisco’s Transbay Project

MetLife Inc. (MET), the U.S. insurer with a $60 billion real estate portfolio, is no longer a partner in the Transbay Tower development in San Francisco, which would be the city’s tallest office building should it be constructed.[/B]
“MetLife is not involved in the project,” Christopher Breslin, a spokesman for the New York-based company, wrote today in an e-mail. MetLife was still a partner as of mid-June, according to San Francisco Business Times.
The 1,101-foot (336-meter) building in San Francisco’s South of Market area is being developed by Hines, which won a 2007 competition to design and construct the tower with MetLife as its financial partner. The Houston-based developer and MetLife negotiated a term sheet to buy land at First and Mission streets, Hines said in 2008.
Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-16/metlife-no-longer-involved-in-san-francisco-s-transbay-project.html

More info at Socketsite (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/08/san_franciscos_transbay_tower_partner_has_pulled_out.html).

jbm
Aug 19, 2012, 3:55 AM
It looks like the demolition of 1600 Market might begin soon. A couple of days ago, I noticed that the notice of permit issuance from march/april was back in the window, and then today parking spots right in front of the building are blocked off and the signage says its for the next month, 24 hrs a day. On a glance, the permit # on the signage looks like its for the demolition permit per the city's website.

timbad
Aug 19, 2012, 6:04 PM
thanks everyone for all the info and images - so exciting how much stuff is going on these days!

a couple shots from two of the upper Market St projects...

this is the Whole Foods one at 2001 Market (http://2001marketsf.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/plans/West_Elevation_Facade_from_west_on_Market.pdf) (pdf) on the corner of Dolores, from the Market side:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7267/7813540694_30bd433e1a_b.jpg

and looking back from the south with the Mint in the background:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7813526068_f66aa92b04_b.jpg

sort of kitty-corner from that project is 1960 Market (http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2009_09_mblarge.jpg) at Buchanan, the site of a former gas station. looking east:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7813518716_dc3dc3cd9c_b.jpg

coyotetrickster
Aug 19, 2012, 6:08 PM
I posted this over at the Transbay Tower thread, but felt like it should be here as well. Anyone know what this means exactly? Delays? Cancelation? Hopefully, it's just a small bump in the road. I know SF has one of the strongest office markets in the US, so it seems as if the demand is there, and that Hines would still want to move forward asap. Either way, it's kind of a bummer.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-16/metlife-no-longer-involved-in-san-francisco-s-transbay-project.html

More info at Socketsite (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/08/san_franciscos_transbay_tower_partner_has_pulled_out.html).

MetLife not in the deal as the financial partner may slow this project, but only marginally. Construction financing is usually paid off with longer term ( 5 or 10 Year) mortgage financing.

Aug 19, 2012, 8:20 PM
MetLife not in the deal as the financial partner may slow this project, but only marginally. Construction financing is usually paid off with longer term ( 5 or 10 Year) mortgage financing.

Thanks!

Also, great shots timbad! Upper Market is going to look great in about 2-3 years.

CyberEric
Aug 19, 2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks Timbad, great shots. I think the project at Market and Buchanan is going to be a really nice improvement, especially since it was a gas station there before.

jbm
Aug 20, 2012, 2:57 AM
1844 market (or whatever the exact address is) is even further along than either of those other two upper market projects. i tried to take a picture yesterday on the way back from safeway, but i had a major phone fail.

rriojas71
Aug 20, 2012, 3:31 PM

The same reason it's legal that they cannot get married.

hruski
Aug 20, 2012, 6:38 PM
The same reason it's legal that they cannot get married.

1. I wanted more information about the law. My question was answered. You've added nothing but sarcasm.

2. Your point isn't well made. The reason why they are eligible for affordable housing is not the same reason they can't get married.

ozone
Aug 20, 2012, 8:56 PM
1. I wanted more information about the law. My question was answered. You've added nothing but sarcasm.

2. Your point isn't well made. The reason why they are eligible for affordable housing is not the same reason they can't get married.

Not to get into a debate over this issue but my understanding is that many older LGBT people are still routinely discriminated against in senior housing and assisted care facilities. It's not well publicized because we theoretically live in more tolerant times, however, many older people are still holding on to their prejudices. Maintaining a positive social life is important to the health of all seniors.

ozone
Aug 20, 2012, 9:01 PM
This upper market mid-rise infills are nearly as exciting to me as any supertall. BTW has anyone posted news about the Octavia project? Wasn’t up for approval last week?

jbm
Aug 21, 2012, 1:24 AM
This upper market mid-rise infills are nearly as exciting to me as any supertall. BTW has anyone posted news about the Octavia project? Wasn’t up for approval last week?

I believe it was postponed until early sept. i think i read there were a few minor items of non-compliance. also, apparently there was some community turnout in opposition.

peanut gallery
Aug 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
I got a notice from the San Francisco Planning Department today concerning the proposed development at 101 Polk Street (bounded by Hayes and Lech Walesa Streets). The letter received today is a Notice of Project Receiving Environmental Review. The building will be 13 stories, 120 feet tall, residential with about 163 units, above subgrade parking for 62 vehicles and 57 bicycles. The lot is currently used for parking.

Across the street is another parking lot slated for housing. Development in the neighborhood is at a feverish pace!

Nice! I hope one of our crack staff of investigators can find a rendering soon.

philiprsf
Aug 22, 2012, 9:39 PM
Walking up upper Market today. Wondering if anyone knows if anything is proposed for the vacant lot at Market and Sanchez (on the north side of Market). It's been empty for some time.

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
Nice! I hope one of our crack staff of investigators can find a rendering soon.

I do have a artist rendering of what 101 Polk might look like, but I cannot find where I got the photo & don't want to post without credit. I got the image from a site about the recladding of 100 Van Ness Avenue & 101 Polk is included incidentally. Maybe someone can ferret it out.

viewguysf
Aug 23, 2012, 4:01 AM
Walking up upper Market today. Wondering if anyone knows if anything is proposed for the vacant lot at Market and Sanchez (on the north side of Market). It's been empty for some time.

I've been wondering the same thing--a fairly new Shell station was there one day, closed the next and was quickly demolished some years ago. The lot has sat vacant ever since.

peanut gallery
Aug 23, 2012, 5:16 PM
Speaking of former gas stations, I noticed the 76 station at 4th and Folsom is fenced off in preparation for Central Subway construction. That will be the location of the Moscone station.

peanut gallery
Aug 23, 2012, 5:58 PM
I do have a artist rendering of what 101 Polk might look like, but I cannot find where I got the photo & don't want to post without credit. I got the image from a site about the recladding of 100 Van Ness Avenue & 101 Polk is included incidentally. Maybe someone can ferret it out.

I did a little looking around and couldn't find a rendering. But I did see notes on the Planning website that give some indication of their plans:

For one, it will have a courtyard, but Planning wants it to be larger and perhaps be viewable from the street.
They also mention that the current proposal calls for NO commercial space at street level. The developer will need to include commercial space, or provide direct access to residential units at the sidewalk, or get an exemption. Planning seems to be pushing for at least some commercial space, which would be good.
Regarding massing, Planning wants better articulation than what has been proposed, calling it "relatively undifferentiated."

It sounds like they have some work to do and whatever they've come up with will need to change anyway. I look forward to seeing it eventually.

CyberEric
Aug 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
Speaking of former gas stations, I noticed the 76 station at 4th and Folsom is fenced off in preparation for Central Subway construction. That will be the location of the Moscone station.

That's great, a gas station gets turned into a train station. I love it. Of all these SF projects, I think the central subway is the project I'm most excited about.

hruski
Aug 24, 2012, 5:36 PM
That's great, a gas station gets turned into a train station. I love it. Of all these SF projects, I think the central subway is the project I'm most excited about.

+1. Not only is this a good short-term project, but it gets SF one step closer to having a legitimate light rail system connecting the entire city. As density in SOMA and elsewhere picks up (which is inevitable over the next few decades) busses will not be a sustainable form of public transit. We have to move this stuff underground eventually, and it's great to see it happening one project at a time.

peanut gallery
Aug 24, 2012, 8:44 PM
Back in May, I posted information on the city's expansion plans for Moscone (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5690383&postcount=3574). It looks like SOM has been selected to design the expansion. From the SF Business Times (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/morning_call/2012/06/som-and-cavagnero-tapped-for-moscone.html):

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Today, we know the approach they've decided to take. Again, from the SF Business Journal (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2012/08/24/550m-moscone-project-takes-shape.html):

San Francisco will look underground to expand Moscone Center, settling on a plan to dig out a 500,000-square-foot addition under adjacent Howard Street.

Just a month after architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill and Mark Cavagnero Associates were tapped to design a $550 million expansion, the project team has chosen its preferred option, according to San Francisco Travel Association President Joe D’Alessandro.

“We can get 500,000 square feet of contiguous space underground by doing that. Currently, we have a bunch of stuff down there — dirt and kitchens and meeting rooms. We would have to get rid of all that stuff ...

From this, I would infer that any plans to redevelop the garage across 3rd is on the back burner for now. I also read this to mean that they'll combine the north and south halls into one big exhibit space as I know that was one of their original goals. But I'm not sure about either one of those.

Aug 25, 2012, 2:58 AM
Also from the SF Business Times...

Condos are beginning to break ground now.

Two San Francisco condo projects break ground

The rush to be on the leading edge of San Francisco’s next wave of condo projects has started, as digging has begun on two long-awaited developments.
On Aug. 3, Oyster Development Corp. and Tricon Capital Group closed a $41 million construction loan to build 98 units at 1800 Van Ness, a $60 million project that has been named Marlow. The construction loan is being provided by National Real Estate Advisors, which invests money for the National Electrical Benefit Fund and other investors.
Not wasting any time, Oyster Development and its contractor Build Group started work on Aug. 6.
“We have had it on our calender for Aug. 6 for a while, and we hit our timing,” said Dean Givas, president of Oyster Development.
Meanwhile at 1998 Market St., developer Brian Spiers and Canyon Johnson Urban Funds have started demolition to clear the way for a 115-unit project designed by Arquitectonica. That project will cost $35.5 million in hard construction costs. Spiers bought the site in 2006 for about $10 million.
Wells Fargo is providing the construction loan on 1998 Market St. John Manning and Alex Witt of Jones Lang LaSalle arranged the loan on the 1800 Van Ness project, which is being designed by Kwan Henmi.

Marlow (1800 Van Ness):
http://www.polarisgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/1800VanNess-645x370.jpg
Source: http://www.polarisgroup.com/

and not that we need it, but...

1998 Market St.
http://www.polarisgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/1998-Market-Rendering-NEW-645x370.jpg
Source: http://www.polarisgroup.com/

Aug 25, 2012, 6:35 PM
New renderings of Marlow (1800 Van Ness):

http://www.kwanhenmi.com/Images/projects/1800vn/1800vn01.jpg
www.kwanhenmi.com

http://www.kwanhenmi.com/Images/projects/1800vn/1800vn02.jpg
www.kwanhenmi.com

colemonkee
Aug 25, 2012, 8:14 PM
I really like 1800 Van Ness. I'd much rather have this than 95% of the schlock we're getting in LA.

philiprsf
Aug 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
This corner, just north of the Anchor Steam parking lot, seems ready for new construction (the old buildings on part of the site have been demolished). Anyone know what's planned for that site?

Aug 26, 2012, 1:16 AM
This corner, just north of the Anchor Steam parking lot, seems ready for new construction (the old buildings on part of the site have been demolished). Anyone know what's planned for that site?

I'm guessing it's this...

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2010/03/1717_17th_street_eastern_neighborhoods_plan_in_action_a.html

Phase I (De Haro Street): Phase I would include demolition of the two existing wood‐frame buildings fronting 17th Street and the partial demolition of the concrete and aluminum building on site. Phase I would construct a new 48‐ft tall, 51,664 gross square foot (gsf), mixed‐use building containing 20 dwelling units with a unit mix as follows: ten two‐bedroom units and ten one‐bedroom units (21,345 gsf in total). The ground floor would also contain 7,500 sf of PDR/commercial/retail space, and 11,091 gsf of common area. The below‐grade basement level would contain parking for 29 off‐street parking spaces and 11 secured Class I bicycle spaces.

http://www.socketsite.com/1717%2017th%20Street%20Elevation.jpg

Aug 26, 2012, 4:13 PM
Snohetta will design the new Warriors arena! I have high hopes for this one.

The Golden State Warriors have selected the fast-rising firm Snøhetta as design architect for the arena that the team seeks to open in 2017 on Piers 30-32, just south of the Bay Bridge. And, according to Snøhetta co-founder Craig Dykers, the two immense projects have more in common than meets the eye.
"There's an interesting set of connections between these two worlds of culture that hasn't been fully explored," Dykers said last week. "They share a similar need to attract people in such a way that they feel comfortable in various settings, from large groups to individuals."
Snøhetta will be paired with the San Francisco office of AECOM, an international firm with broad experience designing sports facilities. The firms were chosen independently and have yet to begin work on the arena project, which also includes 2.3 acres on the inland side of the Embarcadero. Dykers said he hopes an initial design will be ready for release within the next two months or so.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/article/Linking-2-worlds-of-culture-art-sports-3815659.php#ixzz24fYteGEH

peanut gallery
Aug 26, 2012, 4:54 PM
I like both of those projects. In fact, they are probably my two favorites of all the mid-rise infill condos going up right now. Very happy to see them both moving forward.

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 26, 2012, 7:32 PM
I was by yesterday & took this photo. Extra care is being exercised due to the serpentine rock at this site as serpentine has asbestos in it, the reason for the large spray of water on the site.

The U. S. Mint can be seen up the hill which is also on serpentine rock.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8432/7866366578_fe3d1b1eba_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7866366578/)

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 26, 2012, 7:37 PM
I am amazed at how fast this building is rising. After seeing this corner for 42 years it is strange to see a highrise on the corner. I can say I saw movies on the site when it was a theater!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7866356396_500e300774_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7866356396/)

easy as pie
Aug 27, 2012, 1:42 AM
New renderings of Marlow (1800 Van Ness):

http://www.kwanhenmi.com/Images/projects/1800vn/1800vn01.jpg
www.kwanhenmi.com

http://www.kwanhenmi.com/Images/projects/1800vn/1800vn02.jpg
www.kwanhenmi.com

funny how piddly the rendering makes the surrounding low-rise seem. more retail to van ness, good height and massing, an excellent addition to the hood (mine own).

there are a lot of under the radar projects going up in the vicinity. think i'll finish off what i'm doing here and go take a photo walk so as to enlighten you all.

Aug 27, 2012, 1:55 AM
think i'll finish off what i'm doing here and go take a photo walk so as to enlighten you all.

Please do!

easy as pie
Aug 27, 2012, 5:38 AM
so i took a stroll and had a burger at polker burger (pretty good, for those who haven't tried it), and grabbed a few shots along the way. i think i've either seen or posted renders for all of these buildings, but i can't find them now, i think maybe it was under my old user name. anyway, i might update this post with those tomorrow if i have a few minutes to dig around, in the meantime, some lower nob/polk gulch construction updates:

sutter street infill, i think the address is 995 (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hyde+and+sutter+sf&ll=37.788234,-122.416803&spn=0.005079,0.013078&sll=37.788231,-122.416817&layer=c&cbp=13,153.31,,0,-10.14&cbll=37.788258,-122.41659&gl=us&hnear=Hyde+St+%26+Sutter+St,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=17&panoid=skLic6WlUwqQpkEq9K_NIg) (at hyde st):

on the sutter street frontage, looking nicely integrated, with another floor to go. no commercial at grade on this one:
http://i.imgur.com/Fd37t.jpg?1
here's a view of the back from the hyde street side, with the parking egress
http://i.imgur.com/iEzb4.jpg?1

down the block, on a long time parking lot, some sutter street infill (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hyde+and+sutter+sf&ll=37.788098,-122.417779&spn=0.005079,0.013078&sll=37.788231,-122.416817&layer=c&cbp=13,343.94,,0,-2.83&cbll=37.788073,-122.417972&gl=us&hnear=Hyde+St+%26+Sutter+St,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=17&panoid=cgxW75e9x6drrG9kPqjkCQ) steel and concrete (at larkin). some rebar is poking up, and though i didn't snap a photo, it's nearly built out to grade. i can't find the rendering, but it'll go pretty high, i think 7 stories, and this one will have retail at the ground level:
http://i.imgur.com/kKN89.jpg?1

everyone's favorite van ness former cinema site, from the sutter street approach, not a great photo but it captures the context and scale of the project:
http://i.imgur.com/ylQZU.jpg?1

pine street infill (again, i know i've posted extensively on this one, but i can't find it), between polk and larkin (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hyde+and+sutter+sf&ll=37.789788,-122.419609&spn=0.005113,0.013078&sll=37.788231,-122.416817&layer=c&cbp=13,220.37,,0,-4.58&cbll=37.789788,-122.419609&gl=us&hnear=Hyde+St+%26+Sutter+St,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=17&panoid=8sNhkVIY0dLH26YYr58BbQ) the retail wall is extended all the way down to the school, pleasing me immensely, in spite of my horror at the design:
http://i.imgur.com/xwceP.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/SY7Qx.jpg?1

polk and pacific (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hyde+and+sutter+sf&ll=37.795054,-122.421541&spn=0.005112,0.013078&sll=37.788231,-122.416817&layer=c&cbp=13,136.97,,0,-1.11&cbll=37.795054,-122.421541&gl=us&hnear=Hyde+St+%26+Sutter+St,+San+Francisco,+California&t=h&z=17&panoid=HMGoPYXbsmf5-AQ41tbgyQ), doing a great job of extending the retail wall to enliven a previously dead corner:
http://i.imgur.com/gT42w.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/fGlJG.jpg?1

jddar
Aug 27, 2012, 1:59 PM
I love all these 'Paris Scale' infill developments popping up throughout San Francisco. I think it's a perfect template for further development in The City.

Although it's a far fetched notion and quite unlikely to ever happen, I can imagine 6-8 floor mixed-use developments bordering the entirety of Golden Gate Park.

peanut gallery
Aug 27, 2012, 4:29 PM
Thanks for all those updates, easy as pie (can I call you pie? :) ). There is an amazing amount of this scale of construction going on that isn't quite big enough to get attention outside its neighborhood unless you happen to stumble upon it. Do you mind if I ask what your old screen name was? Just curious. Thanks again!

CyberEric
Aug 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
Wow, thanks for all the shots. I had no idea about a lot of these projects. My friend teaches at music to kids at Bird, I was surprised to see that new building going up next to it.

edwards
Aug 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/article/Plaza-could-suffer-if-tower-climbs-high-3819737.phpThere's one thing wrong with the handsome residential tower proposed at 706 Mission St. in San Francisco - the location.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/70/00/3375119/3/628x471.jpg

tech12
Aug 28, 2012, 11:34 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/place/article/Plaza-could-suffer-if-tower-climbs-high-3819737.php

There's one thing wrong with the handsome residential tower proposed at 706 Mission St. in San Francisco - the location.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/14/70/00/3375119/3/628x471.jpg

The location is great. John King just has his head up his ass half the time.

Aug 29, 2012, 2:46 AM

Agreed. Also, Socketsite rendered the tower at about 25 stories (the height JK recommended).

http://www.socketsite.com/706%20Mission%20Rendered%20at%2025%20Stories.jpg

It looks absolutely ridiculous. It needs to, regardless of design, at least obstruct that blob of concrete to the north.

utgf
Aug 29, 2012, 5:07 AM
I don't think there has been one development in SF that John King does not think would be better if it was shorter. I wished we were as lucky as other city newspapers that no longer have architecture critics spewing nonsense every other week. Next time they need to do some cost cutting, I see a perfect place to start.

tech12
Aug 29, 2012, 5:13 AM
^yeah, having "his head up his ass half the time" is probably an understatement.

Agreed. Also, Socketsite rendered the tower at about 25 stories (the height JK recommended).

http://www.socketsite.com/706%20Mission%20Rendered%20at%2025%20Stories.jpg

It looks absolutely ridiculous. It needs to, regardless of design, at least obstruct that blob of concrete to the north.

I'd take a 25 story tower over nothing, but yeah that would be ridiculous. The fact that John King thinks a 550' tower in the heart of downtown SF would be "overwhelming", especially when there are multiple 400'+ towers surrounding the site (including the nearly 500' St. Regis tower on the opposite corner), is just mind-boggling. He's either blind, or has horrible taste...then again, he is the guy who was praising the architecture on a suburban big box store several years back, if I remember right, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Hopefully the naysayers don't gain any traction on blocking this one.

peanut gallery
Aug 29, 2012, 6:15 AM
I'll never understand King's fascination with making everything shorter. Here are some other projects he'd probably like to chop down.

333 Fremont:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7885432510_a00041521b_b.jpg

Here's the hole for 333 Fremont. I'm pretty sure King wrote that this hole should have been twice as deep so less of the building would have to rise above ground level:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8452/7885444620_688f6a3bf6_b.jpg

Here's the latest on the Rene Cazenave Apartments at Folsom and Essex. Just imagine the shadows this thing will cast! Should have been left at 1 story:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/7885448056_74c58800bf_b.jpg

680 Folsom's floor expansion is well underway:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/7885428424_56f408096e_b.jpg

But the jerks are ruining our city by adding three floors:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7885425740_3759907ef4_b.jpg

I also posted construction updates to ORH2 (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5813881&postcount=55) and Foundry Square III (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=5813885&postcount=14).

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 29, 2012, 7:38 AM
I walked by 1600 Market Street today & yes JBM, the project is about to start. Obviously Cahill Construction is going to build the 9 story residential building. Amazing amount of building happening on Market Street between 10th Street & Noe Street. The colorful grafitte appeared a short time ago. The current building has to be one of the most unattractive buildings on Market Street & couple of months after it is torn down people will be wondering what was there before.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/7885783000_32551153dc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7885783000/)

timbad
Aug 29, 2012, 7:40 AM
uh-oh, pg's on the prowl again, better post something quick before he gets there first! :D

a few updates from along the Embarcadero... first, the concrete piles for Brannan St Wharf (http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=262) are popping up (future Warriors Arena in the background) - looking north:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7878339784_951ca355cc_b.jpg

and the Exploratorium at Pier 15 is coming along (kinda hard to get good shots of this). from across the Embarcadero:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8442/7878329070_f108687d30_b.jpg

closer:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8423/7878336328_942921863f_b.jpg

a better view of the section of the pier they opened up between piers 15 and 17:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8283/7878332934_34811b5d87_b.jpg

and, looking south (from the side):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8299/7878325906_1596b7d9c9_b.jpg

further along, at Pier 27 is what will be the main event area for the America's Cup, then the new cruise ship terminal (http://www.sfport.com/index.aspx?page=282):

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7878362452_3bfe6fd700_b.jpg

across the Embarcadero up there is a leafy patch at one extreme of Levi's Plaza:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8442/7878392986_f93f461764_b.jpg

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 29, 2012, 7:58 AM
Nice pics timbad - I have not been on the waterfront lately - a lot has happened of late. I'm so glad to see a cruise terminal being built. I went through the old one for a cruise & it was an embarrasment.

timbad
Aug 29, 2012, 8:03 AM
and a couple shots of what might be my favorite under-construction building at the moment, the one behind Momo's on Second St. they've done a great job keeping it varied and contextual - interesting to look at but not jarring in its surroundings.

from the north:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7878344070_1c1e588e85_b.jpg

from slightly south:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7878320674_ebc40f9870_b.jpg

closer:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8431/7878355908_2faa686318_b.jpg

and head-on, street level:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7878349434_f8d93d5e4b_b.jpg

Jerry of San Fran
Aug 29, 2012, 8:17 AM
I found this architectual drawing at the San Francisco Planning Department's web site ( http://sf-planning.org/ftp/files/notice/2007.0966V.pdf ). If this is the structure that will be built it is 6 stories and not 9 stories like the rendering shown about a year earlier, and not as nice as the propsed glass structure.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7885919590_3a997023f5_n.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7885919590/)

CyberEric
Aug 29, 2012, 9:36 AM
I walked by 1600 Market Street today & yes JBM, the project is about to start. Obviously Cahill Construction is going to build the 9 story residential building. Amazing amount of building happening on Market Street between 10th Street & Noe Street. The colorful grafitte appeared a short time ago. The current building has to be one of the most unattractive buildings on Market Street & couple of months after it is torn down people will be wondering what was there before.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8032/7885783000_32551153dc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7885783000/)

I saw the new renderings of 1600 Market, it looks so bland now. What a shame.
Love that graffiti!

Timbad, are you joking about the new Warriors arena? I'm out of the country for a few months, did I miss something?

WildCowboy
Aug 29, 2012, 1:18 PM
Timbad, are you joking about the new Warriors arena? I'm out of the country for a few months, did I miss something?

Long way to go still, but yes, the Warriors are trying to build an arena on Piers 30-32 by 2017:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199507

peanut gallery
Aug 29, 2012, 3:11 PM
uh-oh, pg's on the prowl again, better post something quick before he gets there first! :D

Ha Ha! We're actually coordinated this week. Looks like we covered totally different projects for once!

Thanks for all the waterfront updates. I haven't thought to check any of those out in awhile. And I'm with you on the Second St condos. They look great in context: original and interesting, yet a good fit with their surroundings.

CyberEric
Aug 29, 2012, 4:38 PM
Long way to go still, but yes, the Warriors are trying to build an arena on Piers 30-32 by 2017:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=199507

Thanks! Interesting. Seems like a long shot to me, but who knows, these guys have a lot of money to throw around.

timbad
Aug 30, 2012, 4:50 AM
Ha Ha! We're actually coordinated this week. Looks like we covered totally different projects for once!

yeah, we did good, haha! here is a random stray I left out of the earlier sets: the project on Ninth next to the Twitterquarters (seen on the left). looking north toward Market:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8429/7878380120_65fe577682_b.jpg