PDA

View Full Version : SAN FRANCISCO | Projects: Under Construction, Approved, and Proposed

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

CyberEric
Apr 1, 2012, 1:54 AM
Is that area called the Deco Ghetto?

tech12
Apr 1, 2012, 2:19 AM
Is that area called the Deco Ghetto?

Some people call it that. Personally, I never call it that, and haven't met many people who do. I would say the "Deco Ghetto" is a sub neighborhood of SOMA, and SOMA is what I call it.

Since I barely ever hear that name in person, to me it's kind of in the same category as "NOPA" (North of The Panhandle). Meaning, a neighborhood that has relatively recently been given a new name by some people, but the new name is not too well known, and is not universally used.

jbm
Apr 1, 2012, 3:01 AM
i too have heard deco ghetto, due to the art deco furniture stores on market between van ness and gough.

i've also heard that historically it was referred to as "the hub" because so many neighborhoods feed into it (soma, mission, hayes valley, lower haight, civic center, upper market)

i think the city is alternately pushing west soma, and mccoppin hub.

Apr 1, 2012, 3:07 AM
i too have heard deco ghetto, due to the art deco furniture stores on market between van ness and gough.

i've also heard that historically it was referred to as "the hub" because so many neighborhoods feed into it (soma, mission, hayes valley, lower haight, civic center, upper market)

i think the city is alternately pushing west soma, and mccoppin hub.

"The Hub" - I like it!

NOPA
Apr 1, 2012, 7:04 AM
I think NOPA is more of an established name, even though it is not literally just north of the panhandle because it also includes parts of Divisidero imo. I have never heard of deco ghetto, btw.

tech12
Apr 1, 2012, 7:26 AM
I think NOPA is more of an established name, even though it is not literally just north of the panhandle because it also includes parts of Divisidero imo. I have never heard of deco ghetto, btw.

Nope (or should i say nope-a? ...aheh heh heh). It's "the Panhandle", or "Western Addition". Or "north of the panhandle" if you really need to be specific. To others, it's part of "Uptown Fillmore". It's "NOPA" for transplants only ;)

I actually agree though, NOPA seems to be a more established name than Deco Ghetto.

mt_climber13
Apr 1, 2012, 6:54 PM
Some people call it that. Personally, I never call it that, and haven't met many people who do. I would say the "Deco Ghetto" is a sub neighborhood of SOMA, and SOMA is what I call it.

Since I barely ever hear that name in person, to me it's kind of in the same category as "NOPA" (North of The Panhandle). Meaning, a neighborhood that has relatively recently been given a new name by some people, but the new name is not too well known, and is not universally used.

The Deco Ghetto is not part of Soma, it is the area of Market between Van Ness and Octavia where many run down antique/ art deco furniture stores exist. I've heard it called Shopping Cart Flats, too (actually I just made that up, but I like it!)

NOPA is just criminal. I refuse to call it that, just like Many natives refuse to call South of Market SOMA.

spyguy
Apr 1, 2012, 7:21 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but UNIQLO is taking over the DSW space on Powell.

Apr 1, 2012, 7:54 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but UNIQLO is taking over the DSW space on Powell.

Yeah? There has been so much speculation as to where they were going to open. I remember hearing they were interested in the old Virgin Megastore which is now the new XXI store. Where is DSW headed...if anywhere?

Apr 1, 2012, 8:01 PM
Never mind. I found it:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/03/29/dsw-moves-san-francisco-store-to-union.html

tech12
Apr 1, 2012, 8:38 PM
The Deco Ghetto is not part of Soma

Well, it IS South of Market, it's next to the rest of SOMA, it's not the Mission, it's not Civic Center, it's not Hayes Valley, and it's not the Castro...and I hardly ever hear people call it any specific name other than SOMA. So calling it "SOMA"/South of Market makes perfect sense if you ask me.

NOPA is just criminal. I refuse to call it that, just like Many natives refuse to call South of Market SOMA.

I agree "NOPA" hurts my ears. Also, I'm a native and I sometimes say "SOMA". Because it's easier than saying "South of Market". I mostly use it as an abbreviation while typing though.

mt_climber13
Apr 1, 2012, 9:00 PM
Well, it IS South of Market, it's next to the rest of SOMA, it's not the Mission, it's not Civic Center, it's not Hayes Valley, and it's not the Castro...and I hardly ever hear people call it any specific name other than SOMA. So calling it "SOMA"/South of Market makes perfect sense if you ask me.

How can it be south of market? It IS Market. You may be confusing terminology with lower/ upper market.

fflint
Apr 2, 2012, 8:01 AM
I heard it called the Deco Ghetto 15, 20 years ago, back when there were many antique stores on both sides of Market just west of Van Ness, but most of those stores have closed and the name doesn't properly describe the area anymore.

Honestly, if I were talking to another San Franciscan I'd just say 'Market just west of Van Ness.' None of the areas on Market Street between Van Ness and, say, Dolores really have an official name that has stuck, probably because they haven't traditionally been residential.

The area is something of a commercial dead zone--many properties are shuttered and can't keep tenants--but it isn't static, with a new-ish booskstore and bike shop on the north side of Market around Franklin.

tech12
Apr 2, 2012, 3:31 PM
How can it be south of market? It IS Market. You may be confusing terminology with lower/ upper market.

No, market is the northern edge of the Deco Ghetto. I obviously don't call that part south of market. I call it part of Mid Market, or the edge of Hayes Valley (its basically both, like how the more eastern part of mid market is also part of civic center and then the tenderloin). And the part of the deco ghetto to the south of market, I call SOMA. Lol gotta love arguments over neighborhood definitions and names. There are always those certain areas that not everyone can agree on completely.

CyberEric
Apr 2, 2012, 6:15 PM
I think that's one of the most disputed areas of the city, that and NOPA, in terms of neighborhood names. I usually say Hayes Valley, if it's North of Market, Western SOMA if it's south, or Deco Ghetto sometimes.
I definitely say SOMA, because it's easy. I usually say Western Addition for NOPA but sometimes I will say both if I am trying to describe that sub neighborhood of the Western Addition. I have also heard it called the Divisdero Corridor.

As for The Hub, wouldn't The Intersection be better? I dunno. :)

Gordo
Apr 2, 2012, 6:30 PM
NOPA is just a name created by realtors that has managed to catch on. I've never heard anyone actually say "Deco Ghetto", but I've seen it mentioned on forums and even some older maps.

minesweeper
Apr 2, 2012, 7:31 PM
Bridge, Community Housing break ground on Transbay affordable project (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2012/04/affordable-transbay-housing-project.html)
San Francisco Business Times by J.K. Dineen, Reporter
Date: Monday, April 2, 2012, 10:38am PDT

Community Housing Partnership and Bridge Housing are breaking ground today on the Rene Cazenave Apartments today at 25 Essex St., a $42.7 million affordable housing project in San Francisco's Transbay Redevelopment Area.

The eight-story building will provide 120 supportive housing apartments: 12 one-bedrooms and 108 studios. All residents will be extremely low income, formerly homeless individuals referred by the San Francisco Department of Public Health's Direct Access to Housing program.

CyberEric
Apr 3, 2012, 6:48 PM
NOPA is just a name created by realtors that has managed to catch on. I've never heard anyone actually say "Deco Ghetto", but I've seen it mentioned on forums and even some older maps.

Someone told me that the restuarant NOPA helped coin the term, but I find that hard to believe.

That Community housing building looks good, glad they are doing that.

jbm
Apr 4, 2012, 1:51 AM
I happen to prefer "the hub" a la the hub and spokes of a wheel. In my mind, SOMA ends at S. Van Ness and the mission starts at duboce. so the neighborhood is the triangle between market, s. van ness and duboce.

the commercial dead zone is really the north side of market between 10th and 12th. west of 12th there are not too many empty store fronts. besides that new bike shop, there's also the pastry cupboard and the old McCarney's furniture store is scheduled for demolition soon (deadline to appeal permits is this week) with condos scheduled to go in. I've also heard that the parking lot on the north side of page, right where it hits franklin is also supposedly turning into condos.

viewguysf
Apr 5, 2012, 9:08 PM
Does anyone have an update regarding 350 Bush and 500 Kearny, a former project with two completely separate buildings that were to be constructed simultaneously? 350 Bush would preserve large parts of the historic Mining Exchange building and 500 Kearny would expand St. Mary's Square park on its roof, both worthy objectives in addition to filling two long time ragged holes in the north Financial District.

Apr 5, 2012, 9:17 PM
A new fire station (the replacement for the one that will eventually be demolished to make way for the SFMOMA expansion) is now under construction on Folsom.

Also, the parking lot across the street has been fenced off to make way for the 900 Folsom project.

http://www.livesoma.com/2012/04/05/folsom-street-development-2012/

CyberEric
Apr 5, 2012, 9:35 PM
Does anyone have an update regarding 350 Bush and 500 Kearny, a former project with two completely separate buildings that were to be constructed simultaneously? 350 Bush would preserve large parts of the historic Mining Exchange building and 500 Kearny would expand St. Mary's Square park on its roof, both worthy objectives in addition to filling two long time ragged holes in the north Financial District.

No update here but where did you hear about this? Sounds very interesting.

viewguysf
Apr 5, 2012, 11:56 PM

It is one of the projects in the beginning of this thread and almost came to be until the bottom fell out. Shorenstein owed the property behind their Russ Building, but sold it to another developer.

Apr 5, 2012, 11:58 PM

Nothing new but just to refresh:

http://www.hellermanus.com/350_Bush_Street.html

viewguysf
Apr 6, 2012, 12:00 AM
A new fire station (the replacement for the one that will eventually be demolished to make way for the SFMOMA expansion) is now under construction on Folsom.

Also, the parking lot across the street has been fenced off to make way for the 900 Folsom project.

http://www.livesoma.com/2012/04/05/folsom-street-development-2012/

Nice find--thanks!

peanut gallery
Apr 6, 2012, 3:50 PM
350 is another building that I hope might get off the ground with the high demand for office space right now. But I haven't read anything about it so far. And I had totally forgotten about the Kearny project. Do you recall where it was in the approval process? Is it fully entitled?

Apr 6, 2012, 4:36 PM
2121 Third is breaking ground soon:

With the $80.4 million, 196-unit Potrero Launch set to open up this summer at 2235 Third St., another developer is about to start demolition to clear a site for a 105-apartment rental project a block away at 2121 Third St. Costa Mesa-based Mission Piers Development LLC is the developer.
The six-story building, designed by Sternberg Benjamin Architects, will cost $29.4 million to construct, according to the city permits. The developers bought the property for $6.9 million, according to the Old Republic Title Co.
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2012/04/06/dogpatch-laps-up-real-estate-investment.html

http://www.socketsite.com/2121%203rd%20Street%20Rendering.jpg
Source and more info: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/09/six_stories_and_106_rental_units_at_2121_third_street_a.html

viewguysf
Apr 6, 2012, 6:27 PM
For those of you who have yet to make it over to SocketSite, here is a rendering of 350 Mission:

http://www.socketsite.com/350%20Mission%20Rendering.jpg

I agree with you peanut--this one really needs to happen too.

viewguysf
Apr 6, 2012, 6:31 PM
Since we're in such a state of flux (to put it as kindly as possible) I thought I'd do a quick status update of some of the bigger current and planned projects here in the rundown thread. Please add/correct/edit as needed.

Transbay Tower - Hines deal approved; awaiting final approval of height zoning changes; I'm just hoping Hines doesn't back out with this economy.

301 Mission - tower and midrise exteriors basically complete; interiors and grounds under construction

One Rincon Hill phase 1 - tower complete; townhomes and landscaping approaching completion

One Rincon Hill phase 2 - on hold

555 Mission - complete; finishing plaza and interior

535 Mission - on hold; excavation complete; piles driven

350 Mission - expected to start in 2009; I'm dubious

The Californian (375 Fremont) - Fifield is trying to sell their development entitlements; basically dead for now

45 Lansing - hard to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if it officially goes on hold in the near future

Infinity - tower 1 and townhomes complete; tower 2 exterior complete; courtyard nearing completion

631 Folsom - facade largely complete, interior, ground level and landscaping in progress

340-350 Fremont - Peebles is trying to sell their development entitlements; basically dead for now

10th and Market - checked today and the site hasn't been touched; last we heard it was supposed to start in the Fall; has anyone heard anything new?

350 Bush - was supposed to be delivered in 2009; entitled through 2010; nothing is happening onsite; I think it's on hold/dead, but no official statement to that effect

One Hawthorne - under construction; pouring underground levels; rebar up to about street level

Trinity - under construction; I checked today and they're working on level 12

Here's your own update from October 24, 2008 peanut; check out 350 Bush above. The 500 Kearney companion isn't mentioned much in this thread.

minesweeper
Apr 6, 2012, 7:31 PM
2121 Third is breaking ground soon:

This is a really nice infill project. Getting rid of that fueling facility should help the adjacent buildings' property values.

Apr 6, 2012, 7:34 PM
A couple more pieces of good news:

First about Foundry Square III:

Tishman Speyer says it will start construction in July on a 286,000 square foot building in San Francisco's hot South of Market, the first speculative ground-up office development to start in the city since 2007.

And 222 Second:

In addition, Palmer said that the company plans to break ground early next year on an even bigger San Francisco bet -- a 27-story, 450,000 square foot tower at 222 Second St. The 222 Second St. building will be completed in the fall of 2014, Palmer said.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2012/04/tishman-speyer-to-start-foundry-square.html

viewguysf
Apr 6, 2012, 11:49 PM
I think it will be gratifying to see Foundry Square completed in its entirety with the addition of the last building; all four corners of First and Howard will finally have the architects' great comprehensive design scheme as originally envisioned. This is one of the smaller projects that I've most wanted to see built (along with 350 & 535 Mission and 350 Bush/500 Kearney). 222 Second will also be a nice addition, but IMO, it lacks the cool design features and contributions of the above projects.

http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/bts/archives/offices/03_Foundry/overview.asp

fflint
Apr 7, 2012, 1:36 AM
The rendering of 350 Mission is fantastic--I hope the building looks that good!

minesweeper
Apr 8, 2012, 4:39 AM
Tishman Plans San Francisco Offices as Tech Demand Surges (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-07/tishman-plans-san-francisco-offices-as-tech-firm-demand-surges.html)
By Dan Levy - Apr 6, 2012 9:01 PM PT

Tishman Speyer Properties LP plans to build a San Francisco office building without having a signed tenant, the city’s first speculative project since 2006, as demand for space surges amid growth at technology companies.

Tishman bought a parcel known as Foundry Square III in the South of Market district and will “move ahead immediately” with development, Jerry Speyer and Rob Speyer, co-chief executive officers of the New York-based firm, said in a statement. Tishman paid $37 million in cash for the land and $4 million for architectural drawings, and won’t need a loan to finance construction, said a person familiar with the plans who asked not to be named because the terms of the deal are private.

“Office-space demand and rent growth have been extremely strong in San Francisco,” the Speyers said in the statement to Bloomberg News. “In a very supply-constrained market, this creates an extraordinary opportunity for a developer with a prime site and the ability to build without delay.”

The story also reiterates that 222 Second St. may be ready for construction in Q1 2013.

minesweeper
Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 PM
Two permits were issued on March 20 (http://dbiweb.sfgov.org/dbipts/default.aspx?page=AddressQuery) for 1600 Market. One is to demolish the existing building, and the other is to erect a new 24-unit apartment building. Of course, just having the permits doesn't mean construction is imminent, but at least there appears to be some life for this site.

According to this PDF (http://sf-planning.org/ftp/files/notice/2007.0966V.pdf), the plan is to construct 24 BMR units with 3770 sq. feet of ground floor retail:

http://i.imgur.com/i0xN0.png

http://i.imgur.com/wlxB3.png

Here's a story from several years ago (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2009/04/1600_market_entitled_envisioned_and_for_sale_but_not_pe.html) with an old rendering (for a taller building).

fflint
Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
Good--1600 Market has been empty most of the last several years--it was a failed restaurant, sat empty, then it was a failed furniture store, then sat empty, and at some point I'm pretty sure it was a restaurant yet again which, of course, failed. Tear it down and build it up!

mt_climber13
Apr 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
I agree with you peanut--this one really needs to happen too.

This rendering is horribly out of proportion- look how fat50 Fremont looks!

jbm
Apr 11, 2012, 1:55 AM
I just have a hunch that 1600 market will start sooner rather than later. The first on-site posting of the permit applications was last september, when it was still an Ed Lee campaign office. No news, and then the permits you referenced were posted in the windows (deadline to appeal was last friday). No clue if any appeals were filed, however. I live really close to the site, so I keep an eye out for any signs of pending demolition.

Also, per the folks at the pastry cupboard next door, the parking lot on page, just behind 1600 market, is similarly scheduled to be turned into condos. No info re: timeline on that project however.

minesweeper
Apr 11, 2012, 2:30 AM
Also, per the folks at the pastry cupboard next door, the parking lot on page, just behind 1600 market, is similarly scheduled to be turned into condos. No info re: timeline on that project however.

Yeah, SocketSite has a rendering of One Franklin (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2010/06/one_1_franklin_rendered_as_proposed.html) from 2010. It looks like that one's in limbo though.

jbm
Apr 11, 2012, 4:43 AM
i hope that gets built. the area is really close to extending hayes valley all the way down to market st, which would be a boon for the market/van ness area.

i've noticed that in the last couple weeks zipcar (which has cars in that 1 franklin lot, as well as the market x 12th lot) has parked 5-6 cars in a hidden lot off of colton x colusa. I've seen no evidence that those cars are available for rental though. my hope is that they are just planning ahead for losing the spots in either of the 2 lots that they currently occupy in the neighborhood.

viewguysf
Apr 11, 2012, 5:14 AM
Good--1600 Market has been empty most of the last several years--it was a failed restaurant, sat empty, then it was a failed furniture store, then sat empty, and at some point I'm pretty sure it was a restaurant yet again which, of course, failed. Tear it down and build it up!

I totally agree, the building has been a mess for a long time, even when something was in it like the awful all you can eat Chinese buffet. The sad part though is that instead of getting the cool Saitowitz building, it looks like we'll end up with another mediocre, mostly boring structure like so many others in San Francisco. Anything will be an improvement, but why do we so seldom get anything dynamic and interesting here?

sbarn
Apr 12, 2012, 4:41 PM
It doesn't look like anyone has reported that according to CURBED (http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/03/28/viewblocking_confirmed_new_rincon_hill_tower_to_start_construction_in_july.php) the second Rincon Hill tower is set to rise this summer! :cheers:

fflint
Apr 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
^There was some mention of it recently. One Rincon sure changed the skyline, the lone skyscraper on a hill--I suspect the second tower will make it seem less....naked.

Jerry of San Fran
Apr 13, 2012, 2:19 AM
A view from my balcony of changes happening now, some coming soon, and some maybe never. The view is Market St. from 8th St. to 10th St., and from Market St. to Howard St. (I've lived at 1390 Market St. for 40 years and I have always known the are from South Van Ness to the bay as South of Market Street. If one really wants to go back in time, it used to be called South of the Slot!)

Click on image for a more detailed view.

1 - Trinity Place, 2nd building, 8th & Mission, (see yellow crane)
2 - 55 9th Street - 17 stories of apartments (coming this year?)
3 - Market Square - 1300 block of Market St. - renovation from the basement to the roof - Twitter to be the anchor tenant
4 - Crescent Heights - 10th & Market Sts. - 4 levels up to 35 stories
5 - 10th & Mission Sts., north side - low income (I'm too rich and not poor enough for this one - where is the housing for my income level?)
6 - 1415 Mission St. - 14 stories of residential (approved, but when coming?)
7 - Former St. Joseph Catholic Church - repurposed as open office space (could be quite interesting) - probably starts this summer

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5321/7072201199_cf2c8c0e19_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7072201199/)
View from Archstone Fox Plaza - April 2012 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7072201199/)

Apr 13, 2012, 5:23 AM
Wow, what a great picture and breakdown of projects in the area. Exciting times. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2012, 5:30 PM
1988 Market is alive and might break ground in a month thanks to some former NBA legends...

Condos struck by Magic Hoops legend, Brian Spiers won’t play the rental game

Developer Brian Spiers is teaming up with basketball legend Magic Johnson’s Canyon Johnson Urban Funds on a 115-unit housing project on Upper Market Street that will likely be under construction this spring.
The San Francisco project at 1998 Market St., the site of a defunct gas station, is being designed by Arquitectonica and is one of the few Bay Area developments being built as condominiums, rather than rental units. The hard construction costs will be $35.5 million. Spiers bought the site in 2006 for about $10 million. Canyon Johnson and Spiers are finalizing a construction loan with Wells Fargo.
“We have paid for and pulled our site permit, demolition permit, and filed our foundation plan,” said Spiers. “We believe construction will start within 30 days.”
Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2012/04/13/condos-struck-by-magic.html?page=all

http://www.socketsite.com/1960-1998%20Market%20Revised%20Design%20-%20Corner.jpg
Source: www.socketsite.com

mt_climber13
Apr 13, 2012, 5:43 PM
1988 Market is alive and might break ground in a month thanks to some former NBA legends...

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2012/04/13/condos-struck-by-magic.html?page=all

http://www.socketsite.com/1960-1998%20Market%20Revised%20Design%20-%20Corner.jpg

Does anyone want to estimate what the land value is of the entire city of SF? It's amazing that this relatively small parcel, one of tens of thousands, is worth $10 million!

Apr 13, 2012, 5:54 PM
A few other highlights from the article about other projects in the immediate area:

1600 Market:

In addition to 1998 Market St., Spiers and Canyon Johnson are going forward with 1600 Market St., a 24-unit project, which will satisfy the affordable housing requirement for the 1998 Market project. Under the city’s affordable housing ordinance, 15 percent of a project’s units must be affordable to low- to moderate-income households, a requirement that rises to 20 percent if a developer chooses to build the affordable portion off-site. Both parcels of land were transferred into a joint venture with Spiers and Canyon Johnson. Cahill is the general contractor on both projects. Forum Design is the architect on the affordable development.
Source: www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco

2001 Market:

The project is across the street from Prado Group’s 80-unit rental project, which will include a Whole Foods market on the ground floor and soon begin construction.

minesweeper
Apr 13, 2012, 6:15 PM
It's great to see all this activity in the area, along with 1844 Market (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/05/1844_market_street_lets_get_ready_to_rumble_build.html), which restarted last year. I'm surprised the Arquitectonica design survived the approval process. And I didn't realize that's how 1600 Market was being funded.

Does anyone want to estimate what the land value is of the entire city of SF? It's amazing that this relatively small parcel, one of tens of thousands, is worth $10 million!

As of July 2011, San Francisco's property roll value was $163 billion (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/07/san_francisco_property_tax_roll_up_13_percent_yearovery.html).

Jerry of San Fran
Apr 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
I was by 1844 Market Street today and was happy to see a lot of actiivity on this long stalled project. No more swampy lake at the bottom of a deep hole! Almost too much to keep up with! I hope the construction crane (out of view on the left) didn't rust after so many years being idle. Was gold found at the bottom of the hole?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5080/7077995949_2c795fcba9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7077995949/)

viewguysf
Apr 15, 2012, 12:00 AM
I was by 1844 Market Street today and was happy to see a lot of actiivity on this long stalled project. No more swampy lake at the bottom of a deep hole! Almost too much to keep up with! I hope the construction crane (out of view on the left) didn't rust after so many years being idle. Was gold found at the bottom of the hole?

Yes Jerry, it's really good to see this site get going after being idle for so long. I can't believe from a safety standpoint that the City let the crane stand there for so long; Chicago, for one, would not allow that.

Even more exciting though is the fact that there will be five of these projects occurring simultaneously on upper Market, from 1600 Market up to the intersection of Market, Noe and 16th! There is going to be so much additional life and activity added to that stretch of Market Street, particularly from Dolores to Gough.

fflint
Apr 15, 2012, 12:29 AM
All these new projects, simultanously under construction, are really going to transform Upper Market Street, that's for sure.

flight_from_kamakura
Apr 15, 2012, 1:29 AM
cue 'flight of the valkyries'. just got back from the vinter's market at ft mason to the surprise news of the resuscitation of two of my three favorite market street projects (guerrero whole foods, where art thou?). i'm almost manically happy.

viewguysf
Apr 15, 2012, 4:12 AM
All these new projects, simultanously under construction, are really going to transform Upper Market Street, that's for sure.

It's amazing, especially considering that it doesn't include any of the direct Octavia Boulevard projects yet!

viewguysf
Apr 15, 2012, 4:18 AM
I looked around the City with binoculars from my windows today (and wish I had a camera lens that could equal them) to see how many cranes I could find. I counted 14 plus a pile driver and other miscellaneous items in Mission Bay--amazing--it will only improve with Foundry Square III, ORH 2 and others!! It's also cool to see two hospitals being built, SF General and UCSF Mission Bay. We have definitely come alive again!

mt_climber13
Apr 16, 2012, 1:53 AM
Zomg!!! 👯💅👙💩

rriojas71
Apr 16, 2012, 4:51 PM
^There was some mention of it recently. One Rincon sure changed the skyline, the lone skyscraper on a hill--I suspect the second tower will make it seem less....naked.

I drove by Rincon Hill yesterday afternoon and they are already starting on the base for the 2nd tower... I wanted to take pictures to post them, but my friend that was driving wanted to hurry up and get to Water Bar for happy hour oysters.

CyberEric
Apr 16, 2012, 5:25 PM
I can't keep up! This is crazy, can anyone put together a list of all the projects? And do they have threads?

I didn't think Rincon Hill 2 was underway yet, there was that other project there that started a few months back, is that what you saw?

Apr 16, 2012, 5:45 PM
I drove by Rincon Hill yesterday afternoon and they are already starting on the base for the 2nd tower... I wanted to take pictures to post them, but my friend that was driving wanted to hurry up and get to Water Bar for happy hour oysters.

Are you sure it wasn't 333 Harrison?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6873904588_ef9bd2234b_b.jpg
Photo by me.

If not, I'm stoked!!

rriojas71
Apr 16, 2012, 8:56 PM
Are you sure it wasn't 333 Harrison?

Photo by me.

If not, I'm stoked!!

Yeah I think this is what I saw. Sorry guys. :(

We drove by pretty quickly so I assumed this was the 2nd tower because it was so close to ORH and I read that they were going to proceed with construction this year.

Apr 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
I can't keep up! This is crazy, can anyone put together a list of all the projects? And do they have threads?

I didn't think Rincon Hill 2 was underway yet, there was that other project there that started a few months back, is that what you saw?

Here ya go...

These are all (most?) of the projects that I know are under construction or are prepping for construction. There are at least 2-3 other projects that claimed to be breaking ground this month as well. Anyhow, I hope this helps...

*I need to give some credit to Cal_Escapee over at SSC for helping locate many of these projects.

-------------------------Under Construction/Site Prep-------------------------

Transbay Terminal

http://www.pwpla.com/sites/pwp/images/2148/pTransbayTerminal_60004_daynight.jpg
Source: www.pwpla.com

http://www.pwpla.com/sites/pwp/images/2160/TTC-Street-Natoma.jpg
Source: www.pwpla.com

One Rincon Hill (Phase II)

http://www.socketsite.com/One%20Rincon%20Hill%20Two%20Towers.jpg

10th and Market Residences

http://www.socketsite.com/1401%20Market%202011.jpg

http://crescentheights.mobi/images/properties/10th_and_market1.jpg
Source: www.crescentheights.com

55 Ninth

http://medialibrary.propertysolutions.com/websites_media/avaat559thapartments.com/cached_thumbs/480x640/4ffd5ffd496b7132.jpg
Source: http://www.avaat559thapartments.com/

CCSF Chinatown Campus

http://theguardsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ChinatownCityCollegeCampus_Online_Article.jpg
Source: www.http://theguardsman.com/

Trinity Place - Phase 2

http://arquitectonica.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files_mf/12948679154.00.338.19.1PIL.jpg
Source: www.arquitectonica.com

680 Folsom (rehab)

http://www.socketsite.com/680%20Folsom%20Rendering%202012.jpg

Foundry 3

http://portfolio.hdsf.com/portfolio/foundry/img/img_design.jpg
Source: http://portfolio.hdsf.com/portfolio/foundry/

http://www.kwanhenmi.com/Images/projects/1800vn/1800vn02.jpg
www.kwanhenmi.com

Madrone - Mission Bay

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7114/7560134748_0c18cdd47f_b.jpg
Source: by timbad (http://www.flickr.com/photos/94342695@N00/), at Flickr.com

SFPUC Headquarters at 525 Golden Gate

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/sf_utility_03.jpg
Source: http://www.archpaper.com/

1285 Sutter

http://www.howardswright.com/wp-content/uploads/1285-Sutter-Street2.jpg
Source: www.howardswright.com

2001 Market St.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2010/12/2001%20Market%20Whole%20Foods.jpg?v=1

1998 Market St.

http://www.socketsite.com/1960-1998%20Market%20Revised%20Design%20-%20Corner%20close.jpg

333 Harrison

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/perspective_from_harrison_street.slideshow_main.jpg
Source: www.dbarchitect.com

Photo by me on 3/26/12

900 Folsom/260 Fifth

http://sf.agicapital.com/images/img_900folsom2.jpg
Source: http://sf.agicapital.com/

http://www.urbika.com/imgs/projects/large/1999_900-folsom.jpg
Source: www.ubrika.com

750 Second

http://750second.com/img/04.jpg
Source: www.750second.com

121 Golden Gate

http://www.socketsite.com/121%20Golden%20Gate%20Rendering.jpg

2299 Market

http://www.socketsite.com/2299%20Market%20Facade.jpg

701 Golden Gate

http://www.chinatowncdc.org/images/stories/OurHousing/OurPortFolio/Residential/Mary_Helen_Roger/MHRSC.jpg
Source: www.chinatowncdc.org

1880 Mission

http://www.socketsite.com/1880%20Mission%202011.jpg

SF Jazz Performance Center

http://static.worldarchitecturenews.com/news_images/14005_1_SFJAZZ1.jpg
Source: static.worldarchitecturenews.com

1844 Market

http://www.socketsite.com/1844%20Market%20Design.jpg

530 Folsom

http://www.socketsite.com/530%20Folsom%20Rendering.jpg

SF General Hospital

http://www.socketsite.com/SF%20General%20Hospital%20Rendering.jpg
www.socketsite.com

333 Fremont

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2009_10_fremont.jpg
Source: sf.curbed.com

Mission Bay Block 5

http://www.socketsite.com/1180%20Fourth%20Street%20Rendering.jpg

Mission Bay Blocks 11

http://server.mediataskforce.com/clients/sold10041/uploads/1_b_10_A1.10_Mission_04.4.jpg

http://server.mediataskforce.com/clients/sold10041/uploads/1_b_10_A1.10_Mission_02.2.jpg

http://server.mediataskforce.com/clients/sold10041/uploads/1_b_10_A1.10_Mission_03.3.jpg

http://server.mediataskforce.com/clients/sold10041/uploads/1_b_10_A1.10_Mission_01.1.jpg
Source: http://www.mve-architects.com/

Mission Bay Block 3

http://www.steinberg.us.com/sites/default/files/10153_000_N6_web.jpg
Source: www.steinberg.us.com

Mission Bay Block 2

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306790_238885749488240_221506174559531_743969_6504763_n.jpg
Source: Source:http://www.facebook.com/ankrommoisan

Mission Bay New Public Safety Building

http://www.socketsite.com/SF%20PSB%20Rendering%20East.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/sf%20PSB%20Detail.jpg

UCSF Hospital at Mission Bay

http://www.ucsf.edu/media/images/imagedb/090903a.jpg
Source: www.ucsf.edu

USF Center for Science and Education

http://www.intersticearchitects.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/USF_CSI_Plaza.jpg
Source: www.intersticearchitects.com

178 Townsend

http://www.interfaceengineering.com/portfolio/files/2009/03/townsend-1.jpg
Source: www.interfaceengineering.com

Divisadero and Ellis

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8495/divisaderoandellisrende.jpg

2235 Third Street

http://www.2235thirdstreetsf.com/images/hero/home01.jpg
Source: www.2235thirdstreetsf.com

2121 Third Street

http://www.socketsite.com/2121%203rd%20Street%20Rendering.jpg

19th and Valencia

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MrZL_kos74Y/T86CM1lREkI/AAAAAAAAAqs/1cnMvTob55M/s1600/AlainPinel+Realtor.aspx.jpg
Source: http://urbanlifesigns.blogspot.com/

200 Dolores

http://www.socketsite.com/200%20Dolores%20Proposed.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/200%20Dolores%20-%2015th%20Street%20Elevation.gif

Central and McAllister

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/4-4-12dev.jpg

435 Duboce

http://www.socketsite.com/435%20duboce%20after.jpg

Polk and Pacific

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/6034/6384155271_7e38bdccf7_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery/6038/6384155643_f4e83441ac_o.jpg

299 Valencia

http://www.sfcitycondos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/299-Valencia-Render.jpg
Source: www.sfcitycondos.com

http://www.socketsite.com/299%20Valencia%204-3-12.jpg

1266 9th Ave

http://www.socketsite.com/1266%209th%20Street%20Rendering%20with%20trees.jpg

411 Valencia

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2012_02_06_411valencia1.jpg

http://vanguardsf.com/images/developmentphotos/411Valencia_dev.jpg
Source: www.vanguardsf.com

Fillmore Park

http://www.cahill-sf.com/images/upload/807_FILLMORE-STREET_W1.jpg
Source: www.cahill-sf.com

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/20614_fillmore_park_copper_bay_.slideshow_main.jpg
Source: www.dbarchitect.com

6600 Third Street

http://www.cahill-sf.com/images/upload/850_1075-LE-CONTE-APARTMENTS_W1.jpg
Source: www.cahill-sf.com

474 Natoma

http://sf.curbed.com/uploads/2009_11_natoma.jpg
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/11/16/rendering_reveal_orange_sherbet_homes_on_natoma.php

minesweeper
Apr 17, 2012, 1:09 AM
Holy smokes, I didn't realize so many projects were already underway. And, there are probably a dozen more that will break ground this summer. Thanks for putting them all in one post.

If you want to include rehabs, Wilson Meany Sullivan is spending over $50 million on 140 New Montgomery (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204520204577249961903936938.html) and Shorenstein is spending $80 million renovating 1355 Market St (http://shorenstein.com/about/press/press-article?article_id=6032) (the new Twitter building).

mt_climber13
Apr 17, 2012, 1:38 AM
That is a nice little rundown. There is also a crane on the USF campus, I can't find any information on the (extremely uncommitted) search I just did.

WildCowboy
Apr 17, 2012, 3:17 AM
Here is the USF science building project:

http://www.usfca.edu/csi/

mt_climber13
Apr 17, 2012, 5:17 AM
Here is the USF science building project:

http://www.usfca.edu/csi/

Cool- that campus has transformed dramatically over the past 10 years

viewguysf
Apr 17, 2012, 5:58 AM
Here ya go...

These are all (most?) of the projects that I know are under construction or are prepping for construction. There are at least 2-3 other projects that claimed to be breaking ground this month as well. Anyhow, I hope this helps...

What about the biggest site prep of all--the Transbay Terminal?

Apr 17, 2012, 4:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I updated the list.

viewguysf
Apr 17, 2012, 4:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I updated the list.

BTW, I forgot to thank you for compiling this list in the first place--it was much appreciated 1977!

Apr 17, 2012, 5:01 PM
BTW, I forgot to thank you for compiling this list in the first place--it was much appreciated 1977!

No problem! Hopefully, we can add 3-4 more projects in the next month or 2.

CyberEric
Apr 17, 2012, 7:00 PM
Thank you so much, that's wonderful!
What about the high rise on Second Street?

flight_from_kamakura
Apr 17, 2012, 7:07 PM
tishman's going ahead - on spec - with the last foundry building too. also, there's a 5 story infill project going up on pine between larking and polk, as well as that 6 story residential/retail base going in on polk at pacific - those last two u/c. the big project next to the center on market near octavia is going up again, though that may just be to get it to grade and cap it. there's also some senior housing going up on franklin near turk. hmm, a couple other things too, but have to dash. thanks for the list.

fflint
Apr 17, 2012, 7:31 PM
200 Dolores has been under construction for several months. The complex includes a renovated Edwardian parsonage on Dolores Street plus a new building along 15th Street, totaling 23,243 square feet, 13 condo units and a 13-car underground garage:

http://www.socketsite.com/200%20Dolores%20Proposed.jpg

http://www.socketsite.com/200%20Dolores%20-%2015th%20Street%20Elevation.gif

Jerry of San Fran
Apr 18, 2012, 1:56 AM
The wind turbines were spinning furiously Sunday, April 15 when I walked by. All but one of them was turning. The corner of Golden Gate and Polk is a very windy spot most days. Today workers were building a gray stone wall
on the sidewalk - I think it will be a planter.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7184/7089124845_9c0db84718_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/antinous/7089124845/)
[

NOPA
Apr 18, 2012, 2:03 AM
Sadly I doubt these projects will put a dent in the ever-rising rent. Did you guys also mention the McAlister/Central project? I'll try to get a photo up.

minesweeper
Apr 18, 2012, 6:40 AM
Did you guys also mention the McAlister/Central project? I'll try to get a photo up.

Curbed has a photo (http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/04/04/construction_watch_at_central_and_mcallister.php) of the Central & McAllister project.

Another small project is 435 Duboce (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2011/05/the_designs_to_breath_new_life_into_435_duboce.html), which has been on-and-off for the past year. Construction definitely started last year, and I've seen workers there occasionally, but more often than not the site has been quiet. And it still has a ways to go.

Apr 18, 2012, 3:41 PM
I added the Central & McAllister project, 435 Duboce, and Polk and Pacific (not sure how current those renderings are).

Jerry of San Fran-

Thanks for the turbine picture.

CyberEric-

What about the high rise on Second Street?

222 Second? If so, I only included projects that are under construction or have begun site prep. There are a lot of projects (Foundry III, One Rincon II, 45 Lansing, etc.) that are supposed to break ground this spring/summer. I guess I can add them once construction commences.

CyberEric
Apr 18, 2012, 5:27 PM
Ah I see, cool. Thanks.

I really like the PUC building from the North side, that curve is nice. From the South, it's not as inspired unfortunately.

Apr 18, 2012, 6:10 PM
Speaking of 222 Second...

Nothing we didn't really know, but here is a another little blurb about it, 680 Folsom, and Foundry III:

J.P. Morgan: Better Early Than Late for Spec Development

Submitted April 17, 2012, 9:57 PM

Jon Peterson

New York City-based J.P. Morgan Asset Management, the money source behind Tishman Speyer Properties’ grand office plans for San Francisco, has its fingers crossed that by being in on the first two speculative office developments in downtown since 2007, it will be ahead of the curve.

“With speculative development, we would prefer to be a little early rather than late. Capital will inevitably return to this segment of the market. Our goal is to be delivering when other projects are just getting started,” said Kevin Faxon, head of the Real Estate Americas investment business of the asset management group.

The real estate investment manager is the investment partner to New York City-based Tishman Speyer on a 286,000 square-foot project at Howard and First streets and a 452,000 square-foot project planned for 222 Second St.

The Howard and First building is to be started with not a single tenant in hand. The total development cost, expected to reach as much as $185 million, will be 100 percent funded with equity. The majority of this capital is to come from the bank on behalf of institutional clients. The manager would not comment if it were from a separate account or commingled fund source, or the amount it is investing in either project.

“We see strong demand from technology and Internet-related tenants. Traditional tenants in the FIRE (finance, insurance and real estate) industries have not been nearly as active,” Faxon said.

The Howard and First development is likely to be completed by the end of next year, while the 222 Second St. project is slated to be ready for tenants by the end of 2014.
Source and article: http://theregistrysf.com/RTRE_jp_morgan_tishman_speyer_tmg_partners_san_francisco.html

peanut gallery
Apr 18, 2012, 11:50 PM
Here's your own update from October 24, 2008 peanut; check out 350 Bush above. The 500 Kearney companion isn't mentioned much in this thread.

Holy moly, that was a long time ago! I remember how dark those days seemed (in terms of development). It's nice to be feeling optimistic again! The question I now have on 350 Bush is if they've extended their entitlements or not. I seem to recall reading that they did at some point but can't say for sure. I might be mixing up projects.

1977 - thanks a ton for putting that together! And thank BT for me too. I've been thinking of doing something similar for just the highrise proposals and projects, but nothing nearly that comprehensive. That took a lot of work and it's much appreciated.

peanut gallery
Apr 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
A bit of news on the Metreon from SF Gate (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/18/BUV91O4H4U.DTL&tsp=1). The good news is that Westfield has committed to finishing the rehab and Target seems unconcerned. I don't know enough about either one to know if Starwood is better or worse than Westfield as an owner, but time will tell.

Westfield sells San Francisco's Metreon
Andrew S. Ross
Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Despite spending $30 million on a makeover, the owner of San Francisco's Metreon figures it's ultimately not worth keeping.

The retail, restaurant and entertainment complex next to Yerba Buena Center is one of eight "non-core" U.S. shopping centers the Westfield Group has agreed to sell in a $1.15 billion deal, to Starwood Capital Group, a Connecticut private equity firm. The Westfield Solano Mall in Fairfield is part of the deal.

However, the Metreon will not be cast off like an orphan. A Westfield spokeswoman said the Australian company will be responsible for completing the renovations, including the centerpiece "city Target" store, which is scheduled to open in October.

"To the best of our knowledge this transaction will not have any impact on our plans for this store," said Mya Walters, a Target spokeswoman.

peanut gallery
Apr 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
Check out this turd proposed for Chinatown:
http://www.socketsite.com/835%20Jackson%20Proposed.jpg

And to rub salt in the wound, here's what it would replace:
http://www.socketsite.com/835%20Jackson.jpg

Both sourced from Socketsite (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/04/chinese_hospital_plans_and_another_opportunity_for_the.html).

With all the really nice hospitals getting built all over the Bay Area, it's very disappointing that they are not even trying to make this thing attractive in some small way.

Apr 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
:previous: Wow, this is one of those rare moments where I'm hoping for NIMBYs.

Apr 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
Here's couple more renderings:

http://www.mazzetti.com/images/uploads/Chinese_website2.jpg
Source: www.mazzetti.com

http://www.mazzetti.com/images/uploads/Chinese_Website1.jpg

fflint
Apr 19, 2012, 12:49 AM
I'd sure hate to see the old Chinese Hospital building destroyed--can't they at least save the elegant old facade and detailing? Give them a height variance perhaps to make it more feasible?

fflint
Apr 19, 2012, 1:04 AM
I just remembered--the 36-unit condo development called 299 Valencia is in the final stages of construction at Valencia and 14th Streets.

source (http://www.sfcitycondos.com/299-valencia/)

I snapped this crappy shot of the site from Valencia St. with my phone a couple weeks ago:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/7092075071_808db13267_z.jpg

Apr 19, 2012, 1:46 AM
I just remembered--the 36-unit condo development called 299 Valencia is in the final stages of construction at Valencia and 14th Streets.

source (http://www.sfcitycondos.com/299-valencia/)

I snapped this crappy shot of the site from Valencia St. with my phone a couple weeks ago:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/7092075071_808db13267_z.jpg

Added. Thanks.

minesweeper
Apr 19, 2012, 1:54 AM
A couple more projects under construction:

1266 9th Avenue (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/04/approved_for_development_in_2008_now_proposing_a_la_bou.html)
411 Valencia (http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/06/what_is_this_and_why_is_there_no_building_permit.php)
2829 California (http://www.paragon-re.com/ParagonListingDetail.aspx?ID=4011) (this one might be completed)
1345 Turk Street (http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/details.php?segment=Housing&sub_segment=Affordable+Housing&project_no=807) (affordable housing, might be completed, ribbon cutting next month (http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e5rn76uq859eae0d&llr=khco66dab))
6600 Third Street & Le Conte (http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/details.php?segment=Housing&sub_segment=Affordable+Housing&project_no=850) (affordable housing)

Apr 19, 2012, 1:57 AM
I'd sure hate to see the old Chinese Hospital building destroyed--can't they at least save the elegant old facade and detailing? Give them a height variance perhaps to make it more feasible?

Similar to this older rendering?

http://www.des-ae.com/uploads/projects/add_67-1151003445.jpg
Source: www.des-ae.com

peanut gallery
Apr 19, 2012, 3:26 AM
^ That's not a brilliant design either (not bad, but not great either) but at least there was an effort to make it interesting. I like fflint's idea. At least keep the existing front 30' or so of the building (to maintain the wraparound) and bolt on a modern hospital behind. I'm sure that's not cheap but it's an elegant and fitting facade for the street, which will be a shame to lose.

I think 299 Valencia came out pretty good. I just wish they had kept that flat cover (awning?) at the corner. It helped break-up that tall pole and give the corner a bit more presence. But from the photos I've seen (haven't in person yet) it looks pretty nice.

jbm
Apr 19, 2012, 3:38 AM
I have walked by 299 valencia a couple times. i happen to think that it looks better in person than in photos.

also, if you do walk by, its worth going another couple blocks and checking out 1880 mission. some decent progress has been made on that project.

Apr 19, 2012, 5:16 AM
A couple more projects under construction:

1266 9th Avenue (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2012/04/approved_for_development_in_2008_now_proposing_a_la_bou.html)
411 Valencia (http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2012/02/06/what_is_this_and_why_is_there_no_building_permit.php)
2829 California (http://www.paragon-re.com/ParagonListingDetail.aspx?ID=4011) (this one might be completed)
1345 Turk Street (http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/details.php?segment=Housing&sub_segment=Affordable+Housing&project_no=807) (affordable housing, might be completed, ribbon cutting next month (http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e5rn76uq859eae0d&llr=khco66dab))
6600 Third Street & Le Conte (http://www.cahill-sf.com/experience/details.php?segment=Housing&sub_segment=Affordable+Housing&project_no=850) (affordable housing)

Thanks! Added.

minesweeper
Apr 20, 2012, 2:32 AM
Yet another condo project that seems to have slipped under the radar: "Millwheel" in Dogpatch.

Millwheel South (1301 Indiana) is just wrapping up (32 units) and Millwheel North (1275 Indiana) is supposed to be completed in 2013 (39 units).

http://www.sfcitycondos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/MillWheelSouthNewhomes.jpg

mt_climber13
Apr 20, 2012, 5:52 AM
Here's couple more renderings:

http://www.mazzetti.com/images/uploads/Chinese_website2.jpg

http://www.mazzetti.com/images/uploads/Chinese_Website1.jpg

It looks likes anything in Mission Bay, and you guys seem to like that area, so I don't understand what the complaining is about.

tech12
Apr 20, 2012, 2:29 PM
It looks likes anything in Mission Bay, and you guys seem to like that area, so I don't understand what the complaining is about.

The complaining is about the building it would replace.

mt_climber13
Apr 20, 2012, 5:04 PM
The complaining is about the building it would replace.

So building soulless corporate junk is ok if its new construction? Got it.

Apr 20, 2012, 5:11 PM

I'm not sure where you got the idea everyone here is ecstatic about Mission Bay. ???

mt_climber13
Apr 20, 2012, 5:32 PM
I'm not sure where you got the idea everyone here is ecstatic about Mission Bay. ???

I don't remember ever reading about any of the proposed MB projects being referred to as a "turd," but I could be wrong. And from gleaning the MB thread the general attitude seems to be pretty receptive.

Looking at the rundown post is kind of painful- notice how just about every project has the exact same look. Is one architecture firm working in this city or what?

CyberEric
Apr 20, 2012, 5:36 PM
I detest that new hospital, that will be a sad sad day if that gets built in place of what is there now.
And Mission Bay is mostly bad, I am certainly not a big fan.

And I agree, a lot of the proposals are not good, then again, I don't see a ton of good new stock anywhere.

peanut gallery
Apr 20, 2012, 5:53 PM
I think we've all been plenty critical of MB both at the individual building level and overall. That said, this would be one of the worst buildings even in MB.

That's not at all what he said. It's crap anywhere. But it's made even worse when replacing something that's not crap.

Apr 20, 2012, 5:55 PM
I don't remember ever reading about any of the proposed MB projects being referred to as a "turd," but I could be wrong. And from gleaning the MB thread the general attitude seems to be pretty receptive.

Looking at the rundown post is kind of painful- notice how just about every project has the exact same look. Is one architecture firm working in this city or what?

In my opinion, most of what has been built in Mission Bay is 'turd'-like - especially north of the channel. And UCSF, which is a HUGE chunk of MB, is extremely sterile and much too beige.

That being said, I think there are a few promising projects under construction - Mission Bay Block 2, the new Public Safety to name a few. I think some of the excitement is derived from the hope that Mission Bay will someday become a worthy neighborhood amongst an already wonderful city.