PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86

Anqrew
Jan 30, 2011, 5:14 AM
Expanding Houghton Road might be better than building the Rainbow Bridge...

Houghton is being expanded. in various segments from 2009-2019.
http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/project/houghton-road

Locofresh55
Jan 30, 2011, 6:39 AM
I have this same outrage towards these 'crabby unpleasant' :whip: people.

I have my own theories why they are who they are :
1. They just enjoy complaining and ranting
2. They fear change
3. They fear taking risks or investing for the future
4. They refused to realized Tucson is a major metropolitan city ( US City Ranking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population)) . We're right besides Vegas, Atlanta and Portland - forward looking cities.

I'm looking forward to the day when Tucson extends that light rail and builds that cross-town freeway on Grant Rd - A sign that the NIMBY's have finally lost! ... let me add an air-tram to Mt. Lemon ( Portland has one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Aerial_Tram) ) and yes, our very own tower .

People do NEED to accept the fact that Tucson isn't the small town "pueblo" they want it to be. And yes, Downtown has regained some momentum and we can still add to it. Convention Center hotel might be lost, but damn I would love to see something done to the Hotel Arizona and perhaps an embassy suites downtown like Humberto Lopez suggested wouldn't be such a bad idea...but if they can privat finance it....better. In the 5 years I've lived in Tucson, downtown has gotten some life for sure.

acatalanb
Jan 30, 2011, 1:28 PM
Let's face it folks, our beloved America needs a massive infrastructure overhaul. My residential neighborhood downtown (Armory Park) needs to replace ALL of it's roads. I'm in favor of renovation but I wished the streetlights at Armory Park be replaced with more modern ones.

Btw, Armory Park isn't what used to be. It's clean, most of the houses here have been refurbished (and still are) and crime have been significantly reduced. I see people walk or bike to the local 17th St. Market even at night. I've been tempted to take photos and post the pictures of this neighborhood but I fear getting sued or arrested by TPD. The historic houses here are superior than the KB Homes that are being built today.

acatalanb
Jan 30, 2011, 1:47 PM
Expanding Houghton Road might be better than building the Rainbow Bridge...

C'mon man, the Rainbow Bridge needs to be built. Imagine driving from the east side to downtown and you see this huge white bridge getting bigger. I can see myself eating a breakfast burro on a Sunday morning staring at this bridge.

Heck, I can see myself eating a burro during Tucson's summer rustic reddish orange sunset and sunrise on top of a Tower staring at the Saguaro Nat'l Park. In fact, way back, I remember working in one of the buildings by broadway/rosemont after a rainy day, I got a good view of the Catalina mountains with houses below slightly covered with morning mist. Tucson has some nice unique views.

The Rainbow Bridge, Tower and an Air Tram can repay it's debt with fees. They're tourist attractions which translates to $$$ to the local business - somehow the NIMBY's in this town can't seem to connect the dots...either have an empty dusty lot and rundown buildings filled with crime or create $$$ with the Bridge,Tower and Air Tram and beautify the area.

acatalanb
Jan 30, 2011, 2:21 PM
People do NEED to accept the fact that Tucson isn't the small town "pueblo" they want it to be. And yes, Downtown has regained some momentum and we can still add to it. Convention Center hotel might be lost, but damn I would love to see something done to the Hotel Arizona and perhaps an embassy suites downtown like Humberto Lopez suggested wouldn't be such a bad idea...but if they can privat finance it....better. In the 5 years I've lived in Tucson, downtown has gotten some life for sure.

I won't complain to Humberto if he pays his own and rebuilds Hotel AZ into something like this (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15536) or this (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=809) They don't have to be that tall either ....

andrewsaturn
Jan 31, 2011, 8:05 AM
C'mon man, the Rainbow Bridge needs to be built. Imagine driving from the east side to downtown and you see this huge white bridge getting bigger. I can see myself eating a breakfast burro on a Sunday morning staring at this bridge.

Heck, I can see myself eating a burro during Tucson's summer rustic reddish orange sunset and sunrise on top of a Tower staring at the Saguaro Nat'l Park. In fact, way back, I remember working in one of the buildings by broadway/rosemont after a rainy day, I got a good view of the Catalina mountains with houses below slightly covered with morning mist. Tucson has some nice unique views.

The Rainbow Bridge, Tower and an Air Tram can repay it's debt with fees. They're tourist attractions which translates to $$$ to the local business - somehow the NIMBY's in this town can't seem to connect the dots...either have an empty dusty lot and rundown buildings filled with crime or create $$$ with the Bridge,Tower and Air Tram and beautify the area.

I totally agree about the Rainbow bridge. Tucson NEEDS a MAJOR attraction. A good friend of mine said that the only thing that has Tucson going is the U of A! Its kind of true without the university, Tucson would be just a cactus town... Tucson is a major metropolitan with so much potential. I love Tucson and want it to be a city that people want to stay in. :yes:

acatalanb
Jan 31, 2011, 3:24 PM
I'm sure an Air Tram will be a home run in terms of $$$ to our METROPOLITAN city, Tucson. As everyone knows, it gets freakin hot during the summer, I'm tempted to go to the mountains to cool off but it's just so damn far. I'm willing to pay the same fee as a bus ride to go to the mountain for an hour or two and go back to the 32nd largest city in the largest country of the western hemisphere!!

I'm going to email the mayor and some city council members in support for an Air Tram ... I'll include a link to Portland's Air Tram. Help yourself if you want to do the same.

phoenixwillrise
Jan 31, 2011, 3:49 PM
I'm sure an Air Tram will be a home run in terms of $$$ to our METROPOLITAN city, Tucson. As everyone knows, it gets freakin hot during the summer, I'm tempted to go to the mountains to cool off but it's just so damn far. I'm willing to pay the same fee as a bus ride to go to the mountain for an hour or two and go back to the 32nd largest city in the largest country of the western hemisphere!!

I'm going to email the mayor and some city council members in support for an Air Tram ... I'll include a link to Portland's Air Tram. Help yourself if you want to do the same.

Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA
campus.

Anqrew
Feb 1, 2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA campus.

What does El Paso have to do with anything being discussed here? or were you just sharing a random fun fact? lol

acatalanb
Feb 1, 2011, 3:19 AM
Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA
campus.

Well, hello Debbie Downer. :(

Anqrew
Feb 2, 2011, 9:48 PM
Plaza Centro is actually looking very nice and urban as you enter downtown, i'll have to try to get a photo of the construction from that angle. :tup:

Plaza Centro garage work greets drivers into Downtown

By Teya Vitu

As you emerge from the Broadway underpass, concrete columns stick out of the ground and a rounded, wooden shell gives the first sense of the Plaza Centro Garage at the very east edge of Downtown.

The rounded south end is the curved ramp for what will be a 370-space garage scheduled to open at the end of August.

What the construction site is not telling you yet is that the Plaza Centro Garage brings with it Downtown’s first truly urban setting.

The Pennington Street Garage from 2005 was Parkwise’s first foray into adding urban touches into a garage. Café Poca Cosa sits on the garage’s street level as do the Parkwise and Downtown Tucson Partnership offices.

The Plaza Centro Garage, 345 E. Congress St., takes that hint of urbanity to the next level.

The tiny 1.93-acre site is wedged between Congress Street, the Fourth Avenue underpass and the railroad tracks and will offer 20,000 square feet of street-level retail, 8,000 square feet of townhouse or office space and 50,000 square feet for an estimated 50 residential units. And, oh yes, the 370-space parking garage on four above-ground levels.

“We are creating a true urban environment,” said Teresa Vasquez, downtown planner for the Downtown Tucson Partnership.

The retail and office/townhouse space will wrap around the western and northern faces to largely mask the garage in back. The 50 residential units would go atop the garage, said Chris Leighton, parking program coordinator for the city’s Parkwise, which operates the parking meters and the Pennington, Depot Plaza, Library and City/State garages.

Parkwise is in partnership with Jim Campbell of Oasis Tucson, who would build the residential and office space.

Plaza Centro has been Campbell’s brainchild for more than five years and would also include mixed-use development on the city parking lot (former Greyhound station) between the Rialto Theatre and Plaza Centro Garage. That lot will close once the garage opens, Leighton said.

Construction so far has focused more on each end rather than the middle. By early February, work had reached the third of the four levels.

“It’s getting to a point where people may start getting a sense of what it will look like,” Leighton said.

D.L. Withers Construction is building the garage. D.L. Withers moved its offices Downtown a year ago to 147 N. Stone Ave., and was the title sponsor for the Downtown Parade of Lights in December.

Construction started in October on the $6.5 million Plaza Centro Garage, at the same time Parkwise opened the 286-space underground Depot Plaza Garage next to the new Martin Luther King Jr. Apartments and the One North Fifth Apartments.

Drivers really haven’t found the Depot Plaza Garage yet because the plaza atop it remains a fenced-off but unworked construction site. Access is on Fifth Avenue just behind One North Fifth and across from the west end of Hotel Congress.

“It’s very low usage right now,” Leighton acknowledged. “It’s a very convenient location for the east end of Downtown.”

Half the garage is set aside for monthly rentals from One North fifth and MLK tenants, and half are available to the public at the same rates that apply at the other Parkwise garages: a free first hour and $2 for 2 hours.

But the Depot Plaza Garage is the only Parkwise-operated garage where you can pay by credit card at the gate if you forget to pay before you get back to your car.

The city leases the Depot Plaza Garage from the Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District, which owns the garage, and Parkwise operates it.

Anqrew
Feb 3, 2011, 12:15 AM
A possible new 11 floor tower might be coming, which for Tucson is quite significant haha :D

Student housing could fill Downtown’s eastern end
By Teya Vitu

A pair of proposals for University of Arizona student housing could redefine the eastern end of Downtown, now dominated by Hotel Congress and the Rialto Theatre and Rialto Block.

Oasis Tucson’s Jim Campbell and Peach Properties’ Ron Schwabe could both be selected by UA to build student housing towers to the east and south of the Rialto Theatre. They were among five submittals to a UA request for proposals for 300 to 1,200 housing units along the proposed streetcar route or near the university.

More than one proposal could be picked, but any announcement could be delayed for a couple months as the university’s budgeting process must be completed to determine if this project will move ahead, project manager J.T. Fey said.

Campbell, in partnership with Capstone Development, wants to build an 11-story tower with 550-600 beds for students on the city parking lot next to the Rialto Theatre (the former Greyhound terminal site). That proposal also calls for another 150 student beds in a three-story structure atop the Plaza Centro Garage now under construction.

“We’re waiting on the University of Arizona,” Campbell said. “We put a lot of our eggs in the student housing. If the UA deal falls apart, we can potential put 72 apartments in three stories on top of the Plaza Centro Garage.”

Schwabe has a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Fifth Avenue, where he proposes three stories of student housing above a four-story parking garage. There would be 148 units with 360 beds, Schwabe said.

acatalanb
Feb 3, 2011, 1:43 AM
It's nice to see a lot of students downtown. It guarantees that downtown housing will be at full capacity. Now if downtown could build at least one grocery store and a mini target or walmart ....:yes:

Locofresh55
Feb 3, 2011, 9:45 AM
A possible new 11 floor tower might be coming, which for Tucson is quite significant haha :D

Student housing could fill Downtown’s eastern end
By Teya Vitu

A pair of proposals for University of Arizona student housing could redefine the eastern end of Downtown, now dominated by Hotel Congress and the Rialto Theatre and Rialto Block.

Oasis Tucson’s Jim Campbell and Peach Properties’ Ron Schwabe could both be selected by UA to build student housing towers to the east and south of the Rialto Theatre. They were among five submittals to a UA request for proposals for 300 to 1,200 housing units along the proposed streetcar route or near the university.

More than one proposal could be picked, but any announcement could be delayed for a couple months as the university’s budgeting process must be completed to determine if this project will move ahead, project manager J.T. Fey said.

Campbell, in partnership with Capstone Development, wants to build an 11-story tower with 550-600 beds for students on the city parking lot next to the Rialto Theatre (the former Greyhound terminal site). That proposal also calls for another 150 student beds in a three-story structure atop the Plaza Centro Garage now under construction.

“We’re waiting on the University of Arizona,” Campbell said. “We put a lot of our eggs in the student housing. If the UA deal falls apart, we can potential put 72 apartments in three stories on top of the Plaza Centro Garage.”

Schwabe has a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Fifth Avenue, where he proposes three stories of student housing above a four-story parking garage. There would be 148 units with 360 beds, Schwabe said.

11 stories is a big deal for Tucson...and picture this....a decent size tower facing most of Tucson.....At DM we have a decent view of downtown so that tower will be a nice addition. The proximity to the HOCO/Rialto Block will be nice for the students to unwind.

acatalanb
Feb 3, 2011, 2:34 PM
11 stories is a big deal for Tucson...and picture this....a decent size tower facing most of Tucson.....At DM we have a decent view of downtown so that tower will be a nice addition. The proximity to the HOCO/Rialto Block will be nice for the students to unwind.

Glad for your support for a tower downtown. We really need a tower not just for tourism but also the need for 'enhancing or upgrading' our access to electronic communications - city wide internet wifi, digital tv reception, cell phone etc...

Downtown has an ugly looking communications tower. Might as well have something nice looking and taller. I'd support building such towers at least in the first 50 largest cities in America....including El Paso, Tx :yes:

Anqrew
Feb 4, 2011, 8:30 AM
Heres a video about Hub Restaurant which is opening this month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3GPz45qeY

Anqrew
Feb 4, 2011, 10:36 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/9asnjb.jpg

New TEP tower construction will top out this month

By Teya Vitu

February marks the month that construction of the new UniSource Energy/Tucson Electric Power headquarters will reach its highest point, nine stories.

From there it will be a race to outfit the concrete skeleton for human habitation by the targeted Nov. 11 opening date, or 11/11/11, as TEP people are saying. The site is on Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.

“I think we may even be ahead of schedule,” said Steve Lynn, TEP’s vice president and chief customer officer.

TEP is moving with lightning speed to build its new headquarters, which will increase the power company’s Downtown presence from 85 employees to about 435. TEP’s prowess stands in complete contrast to Rio Nuevo and the first decade of the 21st century Downtown.

TEP bought the vacant Santa Rita Hotel from Humberto S. Lopez in July 2009, demolished it between September and November 2009, started excavating a hole in April 2010, with the building rising to street level by late summer 2010.

“When you get he private sector involved, you get a very efficient process because time is money,” Lynn said.

Lynn said TEP collaborated very closely with city officials to talk through the building plans at the earliest stages.

Phoenix-based construction firm Ryan Companies has already started some interior framing.

The structure will also have 12,300-square-feet of street-level retail. No tenants have been announced.

“We hope to have retail close to ready to go when we open,” Lynn said.

Teacher_AZ_84
Feb 4, 2011, 10:45 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/9asnjb.jpg

New TEP tower construction will top out this month

By Teya Vitu

February marks the month that construction of the new UniSource Energy/Tucson Electric Power headquarters will reach its highest point, nine stories.

From there it will be a race to outfit the concrete skeleton for human habitation by the targeted Nov. 11 opening date, or 11/11/11, as TEP people are saying. The site is on Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.

“I think we may even be ahead of schedule,” said Steve Lynn, TEP’s vice president and chief customer officer.

TEP is moving with lightning speed to build its new headquarters, which will increase the power company’s Downtown presence from 85 employees to about 435. TEP’s prowess stands in complete contrast to Rio Nuevo and the first decade of the 21st century Downtown.

TEP bought the vacant Santa Rita Hotel from Humberto S. Lopez in July 2009, demolished it between September and November 2009, started excavating a hole in April 2010, with the building rising to street level by late summer 2010.

“When you get he private sector involved, you get a very efficient process because time is money,” Lynn said.

Lynn said TEP collaborated very closely with city officials to talk through the building plans at the earliest stages.

Phoenix-based construction firm Ryan Companies has already started some interior framing.

The structure will also have 12,300-square-feet of street-level retail. No tenants have been announced.

“We hope to have retail close to ready to go when we open,” Lynn said.

It's lookin' good!

acatalanb
Feb 5, 2011, 2:13 AM
If there is one businessman that would benefit most from the new downtown TEP headquarters it's Janos (of Kitchen + Cocktails restaurant). Almost everyday I see Kitchen + Cocktails filled almost to full capacity. I just passed by awhile ago and the restaurant looks like it's about to burst from it's seams. He needs to expand his restaurant.

dintares
Feb 5, 2011, 5:16 PM
I've been gone from Tucson for a year and a half now, would love to see some pics of newer businesses, remodels, and construction!

Anqrew
Feb 6, 2011, 4:57 AM
TEP building progress from street.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2ecjhcp.jpg
http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=5ADA8BE9-0049-903E-AD031811909A46CF

Anqrew
Feb 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
Interesting that both the TEP Building and Casino Hotel Topped out the same week and both have an estimated completion date of 11/11/11.
http://images.townnews.com/azbiz.com/content/articles/2011/02/05/news/doc4d4b025e577f0581246961.jpg
Casino Del Sol hotel to hold topping ceremony
The Casino Del Sol Hotel and Conference Center, under construction at 5655 W. Valencia Road, will host a topping off ceremony at 2 p.m. Wednesday (Feb. 9) in which a dome will be installed.

The dome, which is 26 feet in diameter, 26 feet tall and weighing 11,000 pounds, is built out of perforated copper and features color-changing LED lighting inside. The perforations allow the light to be visible at night but have the look of copper during the day. The design is kept with the style and flair of the already existing casino.

“We are more than excited about the progress of the hotel; and the dome placement signifies much of the outside work has been completed and is on target for our grand opening on 11/11/11,” said Wendell Long, CEO of Sol Casinos. “Once the dome is placed on the top of the hotel, we will continue to work on the inside of the structure. It is going to be an eye-pleasing hotel and a pleasant experience for our guests. It will be simply spectacular.”

http://www.azbiz.com/articles/2011/02/05/news/doc4d4b025e577f0581246961.txt

acatalanb
Feb 6, 2011, 3:45 PM
Sometimes the renderings or photos don't always do justice with reality. I hope the Casino del Sol looks better in reality. I'm embarrassed it's built in Tucson. However, the TEP building looks like it's turning out to be a nice looking building. I wasn't impress with the renderings (looks average).

I'll try to post some downtown construction and housing photos in a few days as soon as it warms up a bit. The last few days was the coldest I can remember!

I've always wanted to be proficient with altering photos (i'm a software engineer by profession) so I'll post some altered photos of downtown Tucson such as what would downtown Tucson look like coming from the east end if Valencia's City of Arts and Sciences (http://blog.brillianttrips.com/2010/07/the-city-of-arts-and-sciences-in-valencia-spain/) were built on the west end of the TCC. Or what would the Eiffel Tower looked like if you where approaching it from I-10 west.

acatalanb
Feb 6, 2011, 4:15 PM
Btw folks, the steaks and porks sold at the 17th Street Market (http://www.seventeenthstreetmarket.com/17th_Street_Market/Welcome_to_17th_Street_Market.html) are of the highest quality to me (you're talking to someone spoiled by commercial grocery meats). I bought 3 - 1 inch cut pork for about $5 .... they're so tender, sometimes they fall apart as you cut them. That market needs to advertise more aggressively ... of course, it would also help if they sell cheaper breads ( cost twice from safeway ) .... another reason why we need a garden variety of stores downtown. Maybe, downtown could use a traditional french bakery . Let me add a high quality coin operated laundromat since there's gonna be residences built downtown.

Anqrew
Feb 7, 2011, 7:20 AM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/75/355/b75355bc-327e-11e0-b6ed-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d4f8910e5df8.image.jpg

Six-mile urban greenway planned
Doug Kreutz

A planned urban trail for walkers and cyclists will trace a route where trains once chugged.
The six-mile El Paso and Southwestern Greenway is designed as a car-free corridor - following the line of an abandoned railway from north of downtown Tucson through South Tucson to the Kino Sports Complex.
One short segment of the route has been completed, and funding is in place for the next phase of the $10 million, multi-year project.
"The downtown area lacks low-stress ways to get around by bike or foot. This corridor will be an alternative to traveling on the main streets," said Tom Thivener, project manager with the Tucson Department of Transportation.
"The greenway also provides an important historic connection," Thivener said, noting that the route passes a onetime depot, a railroad roundhouse and a century-old railroad bridge.
"It will connect neighborhoods such as Dunbar Spring, Barrio Anita, El Presidio, Barrio Viejo, Barrio Santa Rosa and the city of South Tucson."
RAILWAY TO GREENWAY
The planned route of the greenway trail:
• Begins at West University Boulevard and North Main Avenue, at the western end of the University Bikeway.
• Runs south and passes along the western edge of downtown parallel to Interstate 10.
• Continues south past St. Mary's Road, Congress Street and 22nd Street.
• Enters South Tucson near West 29th Street and angles southeast along the old railroad corridor.
• Proceeds past Tucson Greyhound Park and exits South Tucson.
• Continues generally east, crosses South Park Avenue, and then runs southeast to cross South Kino Parkway and ends at the Kino Sports Complex.
WORK IN PROGRESS
After preliminary planning work, one short segment of the greenway - extending from Cushing Street to Simpson Street - was completed in 2009.
Planning, funded by the Regional Transportation Authority, is continuing.
"The next piece will be from Simpson Street to 22nd Street," Thivener said. "That will cost about $600,000. We have a federal grant for $500,000, and RTA funds are secured to pay an additional $100,000. It's going through the environmental clearance and design process."
Construction of the three-quarter-mile segment is expected to begin in about two years. Thivener said the overall construction time frame is indefinite because it depends on how quickly additional federal funding becomes available.
He said the route is being designed with street overpasses where necessary and with connections to other pedestrian and cycling paths.
One example: "There will be a connection to 18th Street," Thivener said. "It's a great bike route that connects to the Santa Cruz River Trail."
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/1/27/b65/127b6506-327f-11e0-8851-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d4f89aa2b647.image.jpg

Anqrew
Feb 7, 2011, 7:31 AM
Kimberly Craft interviews Gary Hayes, Executive Director of the Regional Transportation Authority.
http://media.azpm.org/master/image/2011/2/4/spot/020411_Hayes_617_347.jpg
RTA Moves the Region Forward
Kimberly Craft
Gary Hayes, executive director of the Regional Transportation Authority, explains the progress made in the first five years after voters agreed to tax themselves in 2006. He talks about what's coming in the next five years, including the modern streetcar, enhanced transit and better regional connectivity. He also speculates on how the RTA can negotiate with the city to establish governance for the transit system.

Video of Interview here:
http://azpm.org/news/story/2011/2/4/1830-rta-moves-the-region-forward/

Anqrew
Feb 7, 2011, 7:45 AM
http://media.azpm.org/master/image/2011/2/4/2col-ff/backhoe.jpg

The Roads that Taxpayers Built
Tony Paniagua

Regional Transportation Authority construction projects underway right now in Tucson and other parts of Pima County may not have been possible were it not for a decision voters made four years ago.
In 2006, residents in Pima County approved a half-cent sales tax increase that is slated to raise $2.1 billion over 20 years to help fund many transportation projects.

See Video of Projects here:
http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2011/2/4/1830-the-roads-that-taxpayers-built/

acatalanb
Feb 7, 2011, 3:07 PM
The Regional Transportation Authority is the best thing that happened to Tucson in the last few years.

The El Paso and SW Greenway is a great idea. I just wished the city would show some 'renderings' of what the greenway would looked like .

Locofresh55
Feb 8, 2011, 2:35 AM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/75/355/b75355bc-327e-11e0-b6ed-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d4f8910e5df8.image.jpg

Doug Kreutz

A planned urban trail for walkers and cyclists will trace a route where trains once chugged.
The six-mile El Paso and Southwestern Greenway is designed as a car-free corridor - following the line of an abandoned railway from north of downtown Tucson through South Tucson to the Kino Sports Complex.
One short segment of the route has been completed, and funding is in place for the next phase of the $10 million, multi-year project.
"The downtown area lacks low-stress ways to get around by bike or foot. This corridor will be an alternative to traveling on the main streets," said Tom Thivener, project manager with the Tucson Department of Transportation.
"The greenway also provides an important historic connection," Thivener said, noting that the route passes a onetime depot, a railroad roundhouse and a century-old railroad bridge.
"It will connect neighborhoods such as Dunbar Spring, Barrio Anita, El Presidio, Barrio Viejo, Barrio Santa Rosa and the city of South Tucson."
RAILWAY TO GREENWAY
• Begins at West University Boulevard and North Main Avenue, at the western end of the University Bikeway.
• Runs south and passes along the western edge of downtown parallel to Interstate 10.
• Enters South Tucson near West 29th Street and angles southeast along the old railroad corridor.
• Continues generally east, crosses South Park Avenue, and then runs southeast to cross South Kino Parkway and ends at the Kino Sports Complex.
WORK IN PROGRESS
After preliminary planning work, one short segment of the greenway - extending from Cushing Street to Simpson Street - was completed in 2009.
"The next piece will be from Simpson Street to 22nd Street," Thivener said. "That will cost about $600,000. We have a federal grant for $500,000, and RTA funds are secured to pay an additional $100,000. It's going through the environmental clearance and design process."
Construction of the three-quarter-mile segment is expected to begin in about two years. Thivener said the overall construction time frame is indefinite because it depends on how quickly additional federal funding becomes available.
He said the route is being designed with street overpasses where necessary and with connections to other pedestrian and cycling paths.
One example: "There will be a connection to 18th Street," Thivener said. "It's a great bike route that connects to the Santa Cruz River Trail."
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/1/27/b65/127b6506-327f-11e0-8851-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d4f89aa2b647.image.jpg

Wow....this is going right through South Tucson?? I hope they are going to put an overpass or something when that corridor hits 6th Avenue b/c that street is fairly busy with traffic and not just cars if you know what I mean. I like the idea and I hope there are some "shade stations" for the corridor as well. I also would like to see renderings of sorts, especially if they have the "shade stations".

Anqrew
Feb 8, 2011, 7:47 AM
I went to a concert tonight at Hotel Congress, anyway i took some pictures along Congress St. and they're really nice. i'll upload them here tomorrow, i'll probably post a thread in the city photos forum too.

atbg8654
Feb 8, 2011, 7:48 AM
Good stuff guys

acatalanb
Feb 8, 2011, 1:57 PM
Yeah, shades in the greenway would help a lot. Better, if the greenway will be completely covered with shades. And hopefully, the shades would be architecturally appealing not just a long slab of plywood.

I keep mentioning stuff about some kind of biosphere architecture, here's another example of a 'biosphere mall' in cleveland (http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/worlds-most-visionary-cities/5) .

Tucson would make a good location for several biosphere projects since it's sunny all the time and that our own Biosphere 2 at Oracle made such structures 'fashionable' . In fact, our future 'greenway park' would make a nice long biosphere greenway but then of course, that would cost more $$$.

Tucson should also have a lot of these 'solar buildings' too since we pride ourselves as a solar city, here's one from China (http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/worlds-most-visionary-cities/7) .

acatalanb
Feb 8, 2011, 4:05 PM
I hoped this greenway will be extended passing the Saguaro Nat'l Park ( elevated walkway) all the way to Mt. Lemon (In addition to the Air Tram )... in the future. This would reduce vehicle congestion in our parks and Mt. Lemon.

I'm always for reduce carbon emissions...why not build more of these walkways? I've read someplace about building 'pod' vehicles for transportation - useful if you don't want to bring a boatload of stuff in a bus.

Anqrew
Feb 9, 2011, 1:05 AM
Hey guys i posted my Photo thread here at this link. Here's some samples:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5429612752_3b6b0c0530_m.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5429616764_c5f2ceca4b_m.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/5429590356_12b0830108_m.jpg

Check it out! :D
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188659

acatalanb
Feb 9, 2011, 2:00 AM
Thanks for setting up a Tucson photo thread !

Teacher_AZ_84
Feb 9, 2011, 2:22 AM
Great pictures Anqrew and getting Tucson out there. I really need to try more restaurants dt. Anybody like Monkey Burger?

Anqrew
Feb 9, 2011, 2:44 AM
Great pictures Anqrew and getting Tucson out there. I really need to try more restaurants dt. Anybody like Monkey Burger?

HUB is opening on saturday! they put up their new sign the day after I took the photos. ironic.
from their facebook page:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs076.snc6/168631_178791395496859_150135338362465_413420_7553328_n.jpg
http://www.hubdowntown.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HUB-Restaurant-Creamery/150135338362465

andrewsaturn
Feb 9, 2011, 6:43 AM
HUB is opening on saturday! they put up their new sign the day after I took the photos. ironic.
from their facebook page:
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs076.snc6/168631_178791395496859_150135338362465_413420_7553328_n.jpg
http://www.hubdowntown.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HUB-Restaurant-Creamery/150135338362465

I want to try this place and I noticed that they didn't have a menu set up online, does anyone know what kinds of food they will have? :rolleyes:

Anqrew
Feb 9, 2011, 6:57 AM
I want to try this place and I noticed that they didn't have a menu set up online, does anyone know what kinds of food they will have? :rolleyes:

Their still developing it i think but a general overview:

ICE CREAM -- Enjoy over 12 of our 30 truly unique and delicious ice cream flavors such as Honey Basil, Oatmeals n’ cream, and who could forget Bourbon Syrup?

MEAT --- Take a tour of the American classic menu, inspired by real life experiences gathered from around the country. Slow-cooked pork tenderloin wrapped in pork belly, rotisserie chicken, pastrami brined in house ... the list goes on and on.

BEER --- Twenty-four beers on tap and dozens of wines by the glass. A happy hour from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., daily, will feature $5 glasses of wine.

acatalanb
Feb 9, 2011, 3:17 PM
Their still developing it i think but a general overview:

ICE CREAM -- Enjoy over 12 of our 30 truly unique and delicious ice cream flavors such as Honey Basil, Oatmeals n’ cream, and who could forget Bourbon Syrup?

MEAT --- Take a tour of the American classic menu, inspired by real life experiences gathered from around the country. Slow-cooked pork tenderloin wrapped in pork belly, rotisserie chicken, pastrami brined in house ... the list goes on and on.

BEER --- Twenty-four beers on tap and dozens of wines by the glass. A happy hour from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., daily, will feature $5 glasses of wine.

Damn! Any meat that's slow cooked and brined is a GO for me. Can't wait to try it out! :cheers:

acatalanb
Feb 10, 2011, 4:53 AM
Looks like a Walmart will be built at the former location of Macy's (west end of El Con). My opinion, I love it. Of course, the NIMBY's had their stupid reasons not to build it such as being a crime magnet.

I would love to see a Walmart and/or a Target store built downtown.

acatalanb
Feb 10, 2011, 3:42 PM
This is a nice template for an overpass at the rail tracks downtown - Newport Station, Wales, UK (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.projectview&upload_id=15842) . Here's some more photos of this station (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.showprojectbigimages&img=4&pro_id=15842) . The Diamond Back snake bridge over Broadway Rd. is nice but I think Tucson needs to have more modern looking structures ... stop building 19th century structures and start building 21st century bold architecturally unique modern looking structures .

Anqrew
Feb 10, 2011, 11:47 PM
Fifth and Congress, that’s Scott Stiteler’s domain
By Teya Vitu

Scott Stiteler made waves in late 2008 with an ambitious master plan to reshape a broad swath of Downtown stretching from Sixth Street to Armory Park.

That grand plan these days boils down to the intersection of Congress Street and Fifth Avenue.

“I underestimated the revitalization effort by a factor of five,” Stiteler recently admitted within the empty shell where An Congress was supposed to go until restaurateur Kwang C. An decided to expand to Casino Del Sol. “You have to be tenacious and you have to care or you won’t last.”

Stiteler controls three quarters of the intersection, which includes 65,000 square feet of commercial space on three blocks.

He owns the One North Fifth Apartments and the attached street-level retail strip; the historic retail storefronts across from One North Fifth from 262 to 278 E. Congress Street; and he is in a 50-50 partnership with Don Martin for the Rialto Block.

The news right now in Stitelerville is the opening of HUB Restaurant & Ice Creamery. It’s the latest signing for Stiteler that in the past year or two have brought Xoom Juice, Yoga Oasis, Cricket, and the Bodies and Titanic exhibitions to the eastern end of Downtown.

Stiteler carefully selects his tenants.

“I’m an unrelenting perfectionist,” he said. “I’m a steward of a huge opportunity. I want to make sure to deliver something that will be special. The ultimate challenge is to be part of the revitalizing a Downtown because you’re dealing with so many passionate people.”

Stiteler has space available in all three buildings. One North Fifth still has 1,400 square feet open; the An Congress area has 6,000 square feet that could be split into two or three spaces; and nothing is slated to follow Titantic in the Rialto Building.

Stiteler said he has a dozen businesses looking at all three buildings.

Stiteler also has a claim to a pad in the city’s Depot Plaza project to build a three- or four-story housing complex behind his One North Fifth and opposite the city’s Martin Luther King Jr. Apartments. He does not know when that will be built.

“There’s a lot that has to happen with the city,” he said. This includes the city and Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District resolving the intergovernmental agreement between them.

The fact that Stiteler is saying anything at all stands in stark contrast to all the time the San Francisco resident has spent in Tucson since 1994, involved in some 25 development bringing some 1,000 homes to the Northwest and central Tucson. Among them are Rancho Vistoso, Honeybee Ridge and Sky Ranch.

He very quietly made his first investment Downtown in 1999 when he got 75 percent ownership in the Corbett Building on Sixth Avenue just north of the railroad tracks.

“I thought it probably makes sense to buy property Downtown and look back and say it was a good idea,” Stitler said.

Stiteler didn’t became an active player Downtown until 2005, but he remained entirely undercover as he let Williams & Dame be the public face for One North Fifth.

“My whole career I’ve liked to be off the radar screen. You can get a lot more done,” Stiteler said.

But when he realized Williams & Dame and An had their attentions elsewhere as well, Stiteler shelved his cherished public silence.

“I believe if you’ve going to be successful downtown, you have to have singular focus,” Stiteler said. “They did not have a singular focus. If I don’t get in there and take charge, I will let the community down and let myself down. I’m having fun now.”

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3075

Ritarancher
Feb 11, 2011, 9:38 PM

Doug Kreutz

RAILWAY TO GREENWAY
WORK IN PROGRESS

I think that this is a big waste of money. Really 10 million dollars?!?!?! That money should be used to help expand Houghton Road. Houghton will take until 2019. Traffic is a problem now but in 2019 it will be even worse. An extra 10 million will defiantly help Houghton be finish faster. Besides hasn't the city spent enough on bike routs already?
Whatever -.-

acatalanb
Feb 12, 2011, 2:21 PM
man, looks like someone 'snap'. i'm glad we're at an electronic forum...

these are the type of high rises (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.showprojectbigimages&img=2&pro_id=15850) that need to be built in Tucson. If you look closely, there's that famous 'golden arch' . Every now and then, when I navigate downtown, I'd like to buy a cheap $1-$3 burger ( Wendy's has the best basic burgers around ).

Anqrew
Feb 15, 2011, 7:20 AM
Apply now for new round of facade improvements

With the paint barely dry on the Beowulf Alley Theatre’s façade renovation, applications are now available for a second round of Downtown historic façade improvements.

This new round will have maximum grants of $5,000 that must be matched by the property owners/tenants. This round is funded entirely with private sector money, amounting to $25,000.

“That will allow us to do up to five minor renovations,” said Teresa Vasquez, the façade improvement program manager for the Downtown Tucson Partnership, which administers the program.

Vasquez suggests painting and awning projects for this phase.

“You can achieve an awful lot to improve the historic character and the overall ambience of Downtown with a little paint,” Vasquez said.

Applications must be submitted by 3 p.m. March 18. A selection committee will pick participants by April 8, and these paint-and-awning projects must be completed within six months after that.

Buildings that will be considered must be within a defined Downtown area and should have retained major elements of the original façade and be listed on or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. Applicants must supply a letter of conditional financing or proof they are able financially to complete the project.

This second phase is drastically scaled down from the first phase, where $530,000 in city funding was available and the four projects received from $30,000 to $125,000 for much more substantial façade improvements.

No city funding is in play this time, and Vasquez welcomes any private sector donations to build the façade improvement fund to allow for more and larger scale projects, such as Beowulf, The Screening Room, the Rialto Block and The Scott at 64 E. Broadway.

These four first-phase façade improvements played a far greater role than simply prettifying four early 20th century structures. They were at the core of a veritable Downtown renaissance.

Each façade improvement led to unexpected success.

“There was a domino effect,” Vasquez said.

The 64 E. Broadway façade work directly led to Providence Service Corp. moving its corporate headquarters into the building, and CEO Fletcher McCusker subsequently buying 44 E. Broadway and talking the Sonoran Institute to move into that building.

McCusker was also behind launching 2nd Saturdays and convincing Buffalo Exchange to open a Downtown store.

The Rialto Building façade improvement led to prominent Bodies and Titanic exhibitions.

The Screening Room and Beowulf Alley each redid their facades and added marquees. Since The Screening Room marquee was turned on in fall 2009, the theater has become a favored Club Crawl venue, many events and parties seek to use the theater, and The Screening Room’s own attendance has grown 30 percent.

Beowulf Alley just got its marquee a month or so ago, but had already been building its offering to a half-dozen different series beyond its Main Stage plays.

Applications can be picked up at the Downtown Tucson Partnership office, 110 E. Pennington St., Suite 150, which are also the Parkwise offices.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3082

Anqrew
Feb 16, 2011, 2:11 AM
UA, city, Rio Nuevo renewing arena talk
COULD BE PART OF ATHLETIC COMPLEX WEST OF I-10; FUNDING IS UNCLEAR
Rob O'Dell

The city has resurrected the possibility of a new downtown arena - killed in 2008 because of its high cost - at the request of the University of Arizona, which may be interested in a larger basketball venue.
Mike Hein, then-city manager, tried to sell the UA on a joint arena four years ago, but multiple efforts were rebuffed by then-athletic director Jim Livengood and basketball coach Lute Olson.
With a new athletic director and head basketball coach, the UA is pushing the idea of a new downtown arena, possibly with seating up to 18,000. The likely location is property west of the Tucson Convention Center that the city put up for sale after the previous arena plan was dropped.
One other major change since then: Since scrapping the proposed $196 million, 12,000-seat arena because it was too expensive, Rio Nuevo ran out of money after spending $230 million mostly for planning.
And it's not just a new arena the UA has talked with city and Rio Nuevo officials about. Discussions have also included a potential baseball, softball and general athletic complex west of Interstate 10, near downtown. That could include everything from an indoor driving range to a domed, multiuse facility.
There's even been talk of a new football stadium, although those talks are on a slow track because of probable opposition from west-side neighbors and the UA's current $85 million in upgrades being done at Arizona Stadium.
The talks date to at least mid-December, when a meeting was held at McKale Center between Greg Byrne, UA athletic director, and other top Athletic Department officials and City Manager Mike Letcher, City Attorney Mike Rankin, Rio Nuevo Board Chairwoman Jodi Bain and Rio Nuevo board member Alberto Moore.
On Thursday, Byrne met with a dozen members of the business community to try to gauge their interest and get their backing for a plan to bring the University of Arizona downtown.
"We've got a number of different facility issues we need to address," Byrne said. "All we've done so far is talk to different people in the community."
Byrne cited numerous facility issues at Arizona Stadium, McKale Center, Kendall/Sancet baseball stadium and Hillenbrand Stadium for softball, mainly related to concessions and restrooms. There's also an interest in potentially putting skyboxes or club seats into wherever the basketball team will play - whether that be a renovated McKale, a downtown arena or elsewhere, Byrne said.
There's been no real talk about how the new arena and athletic complex would be funded, although several people said it could be through a partnership of the UA, Rio Nuevo, the city of Tucson and potentially the Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority.
The previous arena proposal died in 2008 because its estimated cost ballooned from the original $130 million to $200 million. City officials limited the arena size they were considering after experts told them the second concourse required to accommodate 18,000 seats would boost the cost to as much as $350 million.
Byrne said a new arena would help the UA compete with schools like Pac-10 opponent Oregon, which just opened a $247 million, 12,541-seat arena. With 14,545 seats, McKale Center, which opened in 1973, is the 37th-largest college basketball facility in the country.
Byrne: facilities dated
Many of the University of Arizona's facilities are dated and need improvement at a time when its competitors in the Pac-10 are upgrading facilities or building new ones, Byrne said.
The upgrade of Arizona Stadium's north side won't correct pricey concession and restroom issues on the east and west sides, he said.
McKale has several fan-amenity issues, most notably the "restrooms are not conducive to handling 14,000 people in an efficient manner," he said. He also wants to see if club seats and skyboxes could be added to McKale or at a potential new facility.
"We like McKale, we do," Byrne said. "Where we'll be long term, we have to look at what our options are."
Byrne declined to address issues such as how the UA will sell out 18,000 seats - it doesn't sell out McKale now - or taking the college's games off-campus, because, he said, the talks are in such early stages they haven't been thought about yet.
How to pay?
The project could only be paid for by a partnership of the UA, Rio Nuevo, the city and potentially the Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority, said Bain, chairwoman of the Rio Nuevo Board.
Rio Nuevo could pledge the future tax-increment financing generated from the sports complex to pay off construction bonds, she said. Funding through a stadium or community-facilities district was also discussed at the December meeting, several people said. The UA Athletic Department could also solicit gifts and donations, they said.
No clear funding source exists, however. Rio Nuevo is out of money, and most of its known future tax revenues are already committed. The city has a perpetual budget crisis. The UA is facing yet another round of budget cuts. The Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority has been in the middle of the talks, but its only current funding is $60,000 from ticket surcharges from the Tucson Padres minor-league team.
Sports and Tourism Authority Chairman Tom Tracy declined to comment on the talks.
Moore, from the Rio Nuevo Board, said the price and financing don't matter right now. He said finding the right plan and the people to lead is key, and if that happens the money will take care of itself.
"I think the community will really jump behind this," Moore said.
Early Support
Even without the money issues, there are challenges. For example, Moore said he would be "scared to death" if the city were involved with the project because administrators and the City Council are incompetent - underlining the ongoing bad blood between the Rio Nuevo Board and the city, one of a number of potential stumbling blocks.
The plan would also have to overcome community skepticism from the past failures of the city, Rio Nuevo and the UA in downtown redevelopment.
It was that history that prompted state Rep. Bruce Wheeler, D-Tucson, to say that, while the arena concept makes sense in theory, he is dubious about how it would be paid for and who would be in charge of building it.
"If it's a Rio Nuevo scheme, it's dead on arrival. They have no credibility. We've already been burned for $230 million with nothing to show for it," he said.
The plans are in the early stages, but they are worth exploring, said Councilman Paul Cunningham, as long as "we don't have to put the taxpayers at risk."
Councilman Steve Kozachik said because of the history of downtown, the project has "got to be private-sector driven." Because Kozachik works for the UA Athletic Department, he said, he will recuse himself from any vote on the project.
Moore also backed the private sector leading the project. "It has to be developed by those people in the industry. ... The city doesn't know how to build a football stadium, a baseball stadium," he said.
Bain said she would be happy to take the issue before the Rio Nuevo Board, because the project has the potential to be the catalyst Rio Nuevo has been seeking.
"It has the potential to change the landscape of downtown in a positive light," Bain said. "This has the potential to do this for all of us."

ComplotDesigner
Feb 16, 2011, 4:49 AM
Hi guys, I've been following Tucson's thread recently and finally decided to register and contribute to it. Last saturday (02.12.2011) while I was waiting for a bus at RTC, I took some pics. So here we have the well known TEP/UniSource Tower from different corners. :)

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1580/dscn0032y.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1601/dscn0033kf.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4807/dscn0034m.jpg

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8563/dscn0035w.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3261/dscn0036c.jpg

Anqrew
Feb 16, 2011, 5:45 AM
:previous: very nice! i love the 2nd one! :tup:

acatalanb
Feb 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
ComplotDesigner, your photos of the TEP building is the best to date! I hope more 'nice' photos of Tucson would come up in the Tucson threads....hoping some rich investor(s) would want to invest or open business in Tucson.

ComplotDesigner
Feb 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you guys, now here are some I took that same saturday from Plaza Centro.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6981/dscn0037k.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/605/dscn0038i.jpg

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/7108/dscn0040b.jpg

Teacher_AZ_84
Feb 17, 2011, 2:50 AM
Thanks for the pictures. The building is looking good!

Mattic505
Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 PM
it's hilarious reading all the outraged people's comments claiming how downtown is dead and that the streetcar is an awful idea, clearly they have not been downtown in years. Can't wait for the day they actually visit downtown and realize how wrong they have been. I swear... only the crabbiest unpleasant people comment on News articles.

I couldn't agree more! You would think people would have something more constructive to do with their time... how about you guys crawl out of your cave and come see whats happened in the last two years! Probably couldn't find their way out of their caves anyway! .... hahaha:haha:

Ted Lyons
Feb 18, 2011, 5:54 AM
Hey all, I'm a longtime follower of this thread and I haven't seen this mentioned here so . . .

http://borderlandsbrewing.com/images/Borderlands_Brewing.png

Borderlands Brewing is a new brewery slated to open at 119 E. Toole this year.

http://borderlandsbrewing.com/
http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3096
http://www.facebook.com/borderlandsbrewing

The renovation pictures on their Facebook page are pretty impressive. It looks like it'll be a nice setup.

acatalanb
Feb 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
Finally, a microbrew downtown! Thanks for letting us know. :cheers:

acatalanb
Feb 18, 2011, 1:11 PM
Maybe Fox should consider playing mainstream films instead of films you can rent at Netflix. Or how about partnering with Tucson's own homegrown successful theater, Loft Cinema (http://www.loftcinema.com/). If your old business plan doesn't work (for years), how about trying something else. :shrug:

Fox can't repay loan, Rio Nuevo Board told

Rob O'Dell Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 12:00 am

The Fox Theatre downtown lost $400,000 to $500,000 last year and won't be able to make its $1.5 million loan payment to Rio Nuevo this year, its foundation leaders revealed Thursday.

Fox Theatre Foundation President Michael Harkins and Executive Director Craig Sumberg gave the bleak financial news during a presentation to the Rio Nuevo Board. The board owns the theater, and the first payment of $1.5 million on a $7.4 million board loan to the foundation is due in September.

The pair didn't bring detailed financial numbers to the meeting, but Sumberg said the $400,000 and $500,000 loss last year was bigger than in 2009 when the Fox was run by the city, which took control of the downtown theater to keep it from going out of business.

Sumberg said this year's losses are smaller than they were in 2007 and 2008 when the Fox Tucson Theatre Foundation and its for-profit event company lost a combined $884,000 in 2007 and another $551,000 in 2008, according to profit-and-loss statements for both entities.

When asked if the Fox Theatre could make its September loan payment, Sumberg said he wasn't prepared to talk about the issue Thursday. However, he said that because the theater is operating at a loss, there is no money to pay back the loan.

Rio Nuevo loaned the foundation $5.6 million in 2005 to finish renovations to the theater after fundraising efforts fell flat.

The $7.4 million the foundation owes includes interest, said Rio Nuevo lawyer Bob Gugino.

Rio Nuevo also gave $3.5 million as a grant to help repair and refurbish the theater. Additional Rio Nuevo and city expenditures for the theater have pushed the taxpayers' costs to nearly $11.5 million.

During their presentation, Harkins and Sumberg gave conflicting assessments of the theater's outlook. They said the Fox Theatre had revived itself, with phrases like the "momentum is with the foundation," and the "buzz is back." They also said, "We desperately need the community's help to keep the lights on and the doors open."

Strategic mistakes were made by the previous group that ran the Fox, Harkins said, but he blamed much of the theater's situation on the economic recession, the downtown projects that failed to materialize and the "debilitating negative presses" that "destroyed the Fox's brand."

The theater's programs and fundraising have improved in the past six months, said Sumberg, who has been development director with the Fox since October 2009 and has been executive director mid-2010. The fundraising effort is not back to where it was several years ago when "the Fox's brand was not yet tainted," he said.

Board member Alberto Moore questioned the absence of financial data from the foundation for the presentation and asked why it didn't think about shutting down the theater.

Other board members said they weren't ready to have the Fox close down. Board member Mark Irvin called the Fox an "incredible asset to downtown, adding, "I'd hate to see you guys not be here."

The Rio Nuevo Board decided to have two members - Irvin and Carlotta Flores - meet with the Fox to figure out a way to move forward.

The board decided against assigning a subcommittee to meet with the Fox foundation, in part because it would have been subject to public-records law.

Contact reporter Rob O'Dell at 573-4346 or rodell@azstarnet.com

davidmperre@gmail.co
Feb 21, 2011, 9:11 PM
[QUOTE=ComplotDesigner;5166671]Hi guys, I've been following Tucson's thread recently and finally decided to register and contribute to it. Last saturday (02.12.2011) while I was waiting for a bus at RTC, I took some pics. So here we have the well known TEP/UniSource Tower from different corners. :)

[QUOTE]

What will the building look like when its done?

ComplotDesigner
Feb 22, 2011, 8:34 AM
:previous:

Like this.

http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/pictures/85.jpg

acatalanb
Feb 24, 2011, 2:28 PM
I recently saw the 50's movie, A Kiss Before Dying (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/A-Kiss-Before-Dying/60030302?strackid=1eb8675c4707aebb_0_srl&strkid=1022246126_0_0&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&trkid=222336) from Netflix. It has scenes of Tucson including one on top of the current Chase building downtown. The Chase building clips includes shots of downtown from the top of the Chase building where you can spot the old Santa Rita Hotel and the County Courthouse ( another scene from the front of the west end of UA, back of the County Courthouse and the front of the Tucson Children's Museum ).

Damn! There's even a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2NDA8J34g) ( trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KPPnO8aK74&feature=related) ).

Ritarancher
Feb 25, 2011, 2:33 AM
Home / News / Local / Government And Politics
Idea of Pima secession from state is real, organizers say
Could Baja Arizona be 51st state in US?

* Story
* (530) Comments

Rhonda Bodfield and Andrea Kelly Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:00 am | Comments

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Poll
Do you think Pima County and other like-minded counties of Southern Arizona should form a separate state?
Loading…

Yes, Southern Arizona should secede from the rest of the state.
No, the state should stay united.

Pima County the 51st state?

A political committee made up of attorneys, including the former chairman of the Pima County Democratic Party, has been formed to try to get Southern Arizona to secede from the rest of the state.

Start Our State, which is asking other like-minded counties to join the effort, hopes to put the question before Pima County voters in 2012.

The concept of a Southern Arizona state - Baja Arizona - has been around for ages as a way to differentiate the region from its more conservative brethren to the north. The notion of secession has been bandied about, but there was never a serious effort in that direction - until now.

Overcoming that historical inertia, and the initial reaction from political observers, highlights the problem the group will face.

Pima County Supervisor Richard Elías teased that given his generational roots in Tucson, his family could serve as a namesake for the new state.

And Pima County Republican Chairman Brian Miller joked that his position would make him the leader of the new state's GOP. "I'm all for a promotion," he quipped.

But Paul Eckerstrom, co-chair of Save Our State, said it's not a ploy and not merely a political statement. He said the state Legislature has gone too far to the right.

In particular, a round of legislative measures challenging federal supremacy "really does border on them saying they don't want to be part of the Union any longer," he said.

"Well, I want to be part of the United States," Eckerstrom said. At a minimum, he said, the drive will send a message that Pima County doesn't want to go along with the priorities being outlined in Phoenix.

"It's no longer a laughing matter to me," Eckerstrom said, adding that his kids' futures are at stake. "I'm tired of hoping and praying that rationality will come to Phoenix."

The group's treasurer, Libertarian and public defender David Euchner, comes from a different political mind-set.

Euchner said Republicans were swept into office nationwide on a promise of helping to fix the economic and spending problems. "Meanwhile, every bill we've heard about here is either anti-abortion laws or anti-Mexican laws. These are not laws that are geared toward solving the real problems that we have."

Organizers concede that there are daunting hurdles. They must first get on the ballot, then get approval from the Legislature or from state voters to allow the exodus. A new state constitution would have to be approved, plus they'd have to get the OK from Congress and the president.

The committee hit its first hurdle hours after announcing the effort. It wanted the Pima County Board of Supervisors to put the issue on the ballot, but Chris Straub, chief civil deputy attorney in the County Attorney's Office, torpedoed that idea, saying the board doesn't have the authority. Straub also said citizens don't have the right to do something by initiative that the board can't do.

Eckerstrom said that doesn't matter. His group is prepared to circulate petitions statewide if need be.

"Our attitude is whatever it takes, we are going to follow that process," Eckerstrom said.

But is such a state viable?

Pima County has more than 1 million residents. That's comparable to the size of Rhode Island, and the county actually has a bigger population than seven other states, including Montana, Vermont, the Dakotas and Wyoming, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2009 estimates.

At 9,186 square miles, the county is also bigger than seven states, including Rhode Island, Connecticut and Delaware, according to the World Almanac.

And it has been done before, although the circumstances were far different.

Maine, once a province of Massachusetts, petitioned for statehood. It took a long time, and the Missouri Compromise, to get it done in 1820.

And West Virginia broke away from Virginia after Virginia seceded from the Union. It was granted statehood in 1863.

Republican Supervisor Ray Carroll said the move doesn't make a lot of sense, and he chalked it up to political opportunism.

"The better solution would be to find candidates that better represent them to win campaigns and win seats, and take government in the direction they want to take it," Carroll said.

But Elías, a Democrat, said it's been clear that sections of Southern Arizona identify themselves with "a very different set of politics than our friends to the north. And as those sides become more polarized, those differences become more pronounced, and people's frustration level grows. That's what we're talking about here."

For this idea to go anywhere, the community needs to discuss the financial impacts, Elías said. That means looking at what services the people here would expect from the new state government, "and what impact it would have on the local economy," he said.

Peter Hormel, a Democrat and the other co-chair of the effort, said the group has gotten a positive response since it put the concept up on Facebook, but he knows there are skeptics.

"It isn't a new idea, but it's gotten so bad in Phoenix that at some point, you're obligated to do something about it," he said. "All we can do is put it on the ballot and see what happens."

Contact reporter Rhonda Bodfield at rbodfield@azstarnet.com and 573-4243. Contact reporter Andrea Kelly at akelly@azstarnet.com or 807-7790.

Copyright 2011 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Ritarancher
Feb 25, 2011, 2:36 AM
Home / News / Local / Government And Politics
Idea of Pima secession from state is real, organizers say

* Story
* (530) Comments

Rhonda Bodfield and Andrea Kelly Arizona Daily Star Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:00 am | Comments

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Poll
Do you think Pima County and other like-minded counties of Southern Arizona should form a separate state?
Loading…

Yes, Southern Arizona should secede from the rest of the state.
No, the state should stay united.

Pima County the 51st state?

A political committee made up of attorneys, including the former chairman of the Pima County Democratic Party, has been formed to try to get Southern Arizona to secede from the rest of the state.

Start Our State, which is asking other like-minded counties to join the effort, hopes to put the question before Pima County voters in 2012.

The concept of a Southern Arizona state - Baja Arizona - has been around for ages as a way to differentiate the region from its more conservative brethren to the north. The notion of secession has been bandied about, but there was never a serious effort in that direction - until now.

Overcoming that historical inertia, and the initial reaction from political observers, highlights the problem the group will face.

Pima County Supervisor Richard Elías teased that given his generational roots in Tucson, his family could serve as a namesake for the new state.

And Pima County Republican Chairman Brian Miller joked that his position would make him the leader of the new state's GOP. "I'm all for a promotion," he quipped.

But Paul Eckerstrom, co-chair of Save Our State, said it's not a ploy and not merely a political statement. He said the state Legislature has gone too far to the right.

In particular, a round of legislative measures challenging federal supremacy "really does border on them saying they don't want to be part of the Union any longer," he said.

"Well, I want to be part of the United States," Eckerstrom said. At a minimum, he said, the drive will send a message that Pima County doesn't want to go along with the priorities being outlined in Phoenix.

"It's no longer a laughing matter to me," Eckerstrom said, adding that his kids' futures are at stake. "I'm tired of hoping and praying that rationality will come to Phoenix."

The group's treasurer, Libertarian and public defender David Euchner, comes from a different political mind-set.

Euchner said Republicans were swept into office nationwide on a promise of helping to fix the economic and spending problems. "Meanwhile, every bill we've heard about here is either anti-abortion laws or anti-Mexican laws. These are not laws that are geared toward solving the real problems that we have."

Organizers concede that there are daunting hurdles. They must first get on the ballot, then get approval from the Legislature or from state voters to allow the exodus. A new state constitution would have to be approved, plus they'd have to get the OK from Congress and the president.

The committee hit its first hurdle hours after announcing the effort. It wanted the Pima County Board of Supervisors to put the issue on the ballot, but Chris Straub, chief civil deputy attorney in the County Attorney's Office, torpedoed that idea, saying the board doesn't have the authority. Straub also said citizens don't have the right to do something by initiative that the board can't do.

Eckerstrom said that doesn't matter. His group is prepared to circulate petitions statewide if need be.

"Our attitude is whatever it takes, we are going to follow that process," Eckerstrom said.

But is such a state viable?

Pima County has more than 1 million residents. That's comparable to the size of Rhode Island, and the county actually has a bigger population than seven other states, including Montana, Vermont, the Dakotas and Wyoming, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2009 estimates.

At 9,186 square miles, the county is also bigger than seven states, including Rhode Island, Connecticut and Delaware, according to the World Almanac.

And it has been done before, although the circumstances were far different.

Maine, once a province of Massachusetts, petitioned for statehood. It took a long time, and the Missouri Compromise, to get it done in 1820.

And West Virginia broke away from Virginia after Virginia seceded from the Union. It was granted statehood in 1863.

Republican Supervisor Ray Carroll said the move doesn't make a lot of sense, and he chalked it up to political opportunism.

"The better solution would be to find candidates that better represent them to win campaigns and win seats, and take government in the direction they want to take it," Carroll said.

But Elías, a Democrat, said it's been clear that sections of Southern Arizona identify themselves with "a very different set of politics than our friends to the north. And as those sides become more polarized, those differences become more pronounced, and people's frustration level grows. That's what we're talking about here."

For this idea to go anywhere, the community needs to discuss the financial impacts, Elías said. That means looking at what services the people here would expect from the new state government, "and what impact it would have on the local economy," he said.

Peter Hormel, a Democrat and the other co-chair of the effort, said the group has gotten a positive response since it put the concept up on Facebook, but he knows there are skeptics.

"It isn't a new idea, but it's gotten so bad in Phoenix that at some point, you're obligated to do something about it," he said. "All we can do is put it on the ballot and see what happens."

Contact reporter Rhonda Bodfield at rbodfield@azstarnet.com and 573-4243. Contact reporter Andrea Kelly at akelly@azstarnet.com or 807-7790.

Copyright 2011 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I love this idea. Every1 north of the Gila River is a Racist. LEt's let Jan brewer ruin Phoenix but living in Tucson Baja Arizona will be awesome! :banana:

acatalanb
Feb 25, 2011, 1:50 PM
I heard proposals about splitting the states from Cali (N. vs South) and maybe Texas over the years. I may support splitting Arizona with a state of Tucson (Republic of Tucson) in southern AZ if Phoenix continues sucking most of gov't funding leaving the rest of AZ almost none. This goes back to the main reason J. Napolitano won the governors seat the first time...she got a lot of votes outside maricopa county....in return for the graciousness, she gave Tucson an expanded I-10 freeway.

Anqrew
Feb 25, 2011, 7:07 PM
I think this plan has positives and negatives... so not sure if i think its a good idea yet, i'm leaning towards yes, mostly because it will greatly increase streetcar usefulness and make the area active.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/6/26/111/6261112e-40a8-11e0-ade4-001cc4c03286-revisions/4d674bedef8ca.image.jpg

UA group looks into arena site downtown
PANEL ON UPGRADING ATHLETIC VENUES EXPLORING VARIOUS IDEAS; THAT'S ONE
Rob O'Dell February 25, 2011

The University of Arizona athletic department has formed a working group to study future facility needs, including a potential new downtown arena.
The group - formally titled the Athletics Facility Planning Committee - includes businesspeople and individuals involved with UA athletics. There is no representative from the city of Tucson or the Rio Nuevo redevelopment district. It met for the first time Wednesday.
The Arizona Daily Star reported earlier this month that UA officials had met with city and Rio Nuevo officials and resurrected the possibility of a new downtown arena near the Tucson Convention Center, as well as a possible baseball, softball and general athletic complex west of Interstate 10, near downtown, and even, potentially, a new football stadium.
UA athletic director Greg Byrne said that although the UA met with Tucson city leaders and members of the Rio Nuevo board, "we have not formed a partnership with the city or Rio Nuevo on any future facilities and do not have any plans to do so at this point."
"There are no current plans to build a new arena downtown," Byrne said. "However, we believe that we are an important part of our community and we want Tucson and the surrounding communities to be as strong as possible. If there are ways for us to help the community and our program at the same time, then we need to at least explore different ideas."
He said this group will set the direction of what the UA does with its facilities in the future.
Byrne has cited numerous facility issues at Arizona Stadium, McKale Center, Kindall/Sancet Stadium for baseball and Hillenbrand Stadium for softball, mainly related to concessions and restrooms. There's also an interest in potentially putting skyboxes or club seats into wherever the basketball team will play - whether that be a renovated McKale, a downtown arena or elsewhere.
He said a new arena would help the UA compete with Pac-10 rivals that have new or upgraded facilities. With 14,545 seats, McKale Center, is the 37th-largest college basketball facility in the country, but is seen as dated by some, at 38 years old.
The previous downtown arena proposal died in 2008 because its estimated cost ballooned from the original $130 million to $200 million, and estimates for a 18,000 seat arena ran as much as $350 million.
Byrne said the committee will take "a long-term look" at UA facilities with the goal of positioning them in the top third of what will become the Pacific 12 Conference.
Jodi Bain, chairwoman of the Rio Nuevo Board, said she hoped Rio Nuevo and the city would have an involvement in the committee, given that they could be involved in a future arena deal. She said she would have preferred all those with an interest could be involved and the process would be open. "Otherwise it all happens behind closed doors."
The initial members of the committee include:
• Jim Click, owner of the Jim Click Automotive Team.
• Fred J. DuVal, president of DuVal and Associates and a member of the Arizona Board of Regents.
• Meredith Hay, executive vice president and provost of the UA.
• Larry Hecker, attorney and chairman of Tucson Economic Opportunities Inc.
• Michael Kasser, CEO and founder of Holualoa Cos.
• Steve Kerr, broadcaster and former UA basketball player.
• Kenny Lofton, retired major-league baseball player and former UA basketball and baseball player.
• Fletcher McCusker, chairman and CEO of Providence Service Corp.
• Rick Myers, chief operating officer of Critical Path Institute and a member of the Board of Regents.
• John Perrin, UA senior associate director of athletics for finance.
• Robert Smith, architect and director of Facilities, Design and Construction at the UA.
• Joel D. Valdez, retired UA senior vice president for business affairs.
• Marshall Vest, director of the Economic and Business Research Center in the UA's Eller College of Management.

azliam
Feb 25, 2011, 7:37 PM
I love this idea. Every1 north of the Gila River is a Racist. LEt's let Jan brewer ruin Phoenix but living in Tucson Baja Arizona will be awesome! :banana:

I think it is a most ridiculous idea. Having lived in Tucson from late '92 up until one year ago, I always wished for success for the city. I understand that the downtown is beginning to shape up a little bit now, but if the city cannot even support/build a new hotel downtown after years and years of back and forth, what makes it think it can support being the center of its own mini-state??

acatalanb
Feb 26, 2011, 2:17 AM
If the arena actually goes through, I hope it gets built on the west side and that it looks fabulous. The former proposed 'turtle' arena reminds me of the ol' valley national bank (http://www.tempe.gov/museum/tempe_history/properties/hps440.htm) in Tempe during the 80's (corner of apache blvd/rural rd) :yuck:

I'm crossing my fingers a high end mall or a mixed used development gets built on the current greyhound depot by I-10. And looks like the restaurants downtown gets lively at least on friday nights.

Butta
Feb 26, 2011, 9:55 AM
http://www.thezmag.com/imgs/hed/art589widea.jpg

Thai Dining Downtown
By Teya Vitu, for the Downtown Tucson Partnership

Vila Thai will move into the former Chileverde space at 20 N. Stone Ave. some time in April.

Don't think this is just a simple move from Vila Thai's hidden upstairs nook at Main Gate Square.

Vila Destanii Jarrell will instill quite an upgrade for this Downtown move that will bring an urban-style name change to V Fine Thai Dining. The Main Gate location will be converted to counter service and renamed Vila Express.

"We will do a lot of traditional Thai dishes we can't do now," Jarrell said. "I am what you call a cosmopolitan Thai."

Even at Main Gate, without a grill or the facilities to make sticky rice, Vila Thai earned accolades, such as being the Arizona delegate for the Blue Elephant Cooking School in Bangkok.

Jarrell said traveling Thais and even Indonesians have marveled at the Vila Thai cuisine.

"This year I had a group of Indonesians," she said. "They said 'make us Thai food.' They ate and they cried and cried. I had attorneys from Los Angeles and New York and they said 'I can't believe we can find this kind of food in Tucson.'"

V Fine Thai will give Downtown sticky rice, grilled items and a wide variety of Thai specialties.

"Our food is deconstructed Thai cuisine," Jarrell said.

Because Thailand lies along the sea and Arizona is landlocked, Jarrell and her chef husband, Redman Jarrell, have reinterpreted Thai cuisine to create dishes that reflect Thai tradition but also include local ingredients.

The menu has Downtown resident Michael Laatsch salivating. He's the one who signed the deal to put V Fine Thai into the U.S. Bank building with the tilted blue walls.

"We had multiple tenants vying for this space," said Laatsch, acquisition and asset manager for Holualoa Companies, which bought in 2004 and also owns the Pioneer Building. "I was actually selfish with this space. I wanted a tenant I want to walk to with my fiancée."

Vila Jarrell was born in Thailand and moved to Seattle when she was nine. She lived in Seattle for 26 years before moving to Tucson in 2006 and opening Vila Thai, which is tucked away with no signage but Asian visitors to the Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Showcase still manage to find it.

"We've grown as a company," Jarrell said. "Our cooking capacity is maxed out. It breaks my heart every time I have to turn away customers."

Downtown will triple the size of V Fine Dining and have it steps away from Tucson's three tallest buildings and not many more steps from a host of theaters.

"Downtown is a different kind of crowd. All the foodies and all the government workers love to come Downtown," she said.

V Fine Dining will have entrances from Stone and Congress Street. Like chileverde before it, the setting with the entirely downplayed fa'ade bespeaks ultra urban like only Café Poca Cosa matches with its parking garage setting.

"Poca Cosa has always been my inspiration," Jarrell said. "We've looked and looked for a long time. We've contemplated Scottsdale and Phoenix. We needed a more upscale, cosmopolitan space. I think we found the right partnership.

"The feel is right. I'm superstitious in that way. It has to feel right."

http://www.thezmag.com/article-589-thai-dining-downtown.html

acatalanb
Feb 26, 2011, 2:00 PM
Looks like Rice House has competition downtown. And I confess that Rice House happens to be the best Chinese/Thai Restaurant I've ever been ... to date (the cooks are imports from China/Thai). Their $10 curries is enough for 2-3 meals (bargain) and have to admit, I'm addicted to them. However, I would love to see a Cajun, Jamaican and French 'low end' restaurant downtown and of course, a Wendy's (Zagat crowned best fast food burger) and McDonald's (for the cheap breakfast meals).

Anqrew
Feb 27, 2011, 7:28 AM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/98/524/598524b2-6139-53a0-b77a-6f682a96d417-revisions/4d69dc6d19a2c.image.jpg
Apparently a 5 story UA Student housing complex called "The District" is being built on that dirt lot on 6th st and 5th ave by the same developers of the La Aldea Student Housing on Euclid. I hadn't heard about it until just now when i read this article:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/college/article_72f39c1a-cc38-500d-919d-2ae9af151192.html

I looked into it, heres some info:

The District, as the project is called, will offer furnished apartments and provide students with a pool, coffee bar and parking garage.

developer, Valeo, planning to build a 500-bedroom dorm-style complex on the site

It is half a mile from campus and smack in the middle of the commercial district of North Fourth Avenue, with many entertainment options aimed at students.

The five-story building will step down to three stories where it is closest to homes.

It is on a major street with access to the proposed modern streetcar line.

Did some searching and then found this article i never saw which ran in November:
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/college/article_d7e8df43-e893-5d28-9d06-d7aa9ab5e46a.html

Locofresh55
Feb 27, 2011, 3:44 PM
I remember they had a previous proposal for that site, I think it was called the lofts at Sixth and sixth or something like that. But this new proposal might be something cool.....I would like to see something built there b/c it is a complete eye sore to have a big ol crater facing a busy street like that. Hopefully we could get some renders for "The District" if the city approves it.

acatalanb
Feb 27, 2011, 4:52 PM
Glad more student housing is being built. Although it's highly unlikely at the moment, Arizona really needs to add 2 or more major universities. A 100K+ UA student population is just ridiculous.

Wishlist downtown: mini-Walmart, mini-Target, Fry's/Trader Joe's/Safeway, more fast food restaurant, coin-op laundromat .... put all in a nice looking 5-10 story building instead of the boxy cookie cutter high rise. Maybe another pink Spanish Revival structure?

hopefully the owner of this parking lot at coach dr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5179/5482552688_9ebc6ef80d.jpg

and/or the old proposed bourne condo
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5058/5481939599_76b858a3a8.jpg

or even Humberto's downtown hotel would consider this. Downtown Tucson is pretty much filled with too much 'nostalgia' . Maybe more places that Tucsonan's go to on a daily basis to create a balance of lifestyle downtown. I mean, there was a hardware store (Ronstadt's), Montgomery Wards etc... before. With these 'practical' amenities in place, there's a high probability that more outside investors might invest in building mixed used developments etc.. It's also within the path of the light rail.

We don't want to have a downtown only the rich people can enjoy.

acatalanb
Feb 27, 2011, 5:04 PM
Locofresh55, I like that photo (avatar).

I make pretty good income when I have a job and I still go to Walmart, Target and 95 percent of the time to fast food restaurants plus I take the bus when I have to (like work). Light rail? I'd ride it. I'm all for public transportation.

Here's another wishlist: Integrate all of the county/city gov't buildings into one NICE FABULOUS LOOKING high rise making way for the old county/city gov't buildings for private development (saved the pink Pima County Courthouse, of course). The AZ Superior Court, Pima County Legal Services (Tucson's largest 8-track stereo speaker) and City Hall are just as bad as an empty hole on the ground :slob: I wouldn't mind if they where built with a pink Spanish Revival Architecture or even the usual Roman/Greek Neo-Classical gov't building (like the U.S. Capitol). Also, the Joel Valdez Public Library (another piece of trash architecture downtown, :slob: ) needs to be moved to make way for an open space park. And that other piece of trash ,Bank of America building, in front of the Joel Valdez 'Kitchen architecture' Public Library could be a good candidate for an open concert hall (hollywood bowl with a tower on top of it) facing that newly expanded open spaced park (Jacome Plaza Park) ... so we can put a taller christmas tree with several cactus covered with christmas lights during christmas season.

acatalanb
Mar 1, 2011, 11:33 PM
Light rail construction has begun

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5092/5489814285_40ecd18c9a_b.jpg

andrewsaturn
Mar 2, 2011, 3:15 AM
Here's a link to a video that talks about the changing atmosphere in downtown Tucson and out of town visitors who usually visit other attractions and leave, but now were seeing visitors who actually want to go downtown and know about the history of urban Tucson. :P

http://azpm.org/news/story/2011/3/1/1830-downtowns-evolving-development/

ComplotDesigner
Mar 2, 2011, 3:39 AM
View from A mountain (today's afternoon)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188824_1930165818739_1380050405_32310530_3068707_n.jpg

Anqrew
Mar 2, 2011, 3:39 AM
:previous:
wow! so the streetcar officially begins :D :notacrook:

and great video from azpm! loved hearing what the tourists looked for, they also posted a video about a new park downtown :)

acatalanb
Mar 2, 2011, 8:39 AM
ComplotDesigner, looks like you're becoming one of this thread's photographers and a daring one too.

In case anyone missed it, here's Tucson's photo thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188659)

Help yourself in posting photos of Tucson. I'll try to keep it on top when it gets out of radar. When someone post in the photo thread, it goes on top of the list (currently we have about 1,600 views). One or two photos would help ;)

Here's another of my favorite architecture website, WorldArchitectureNews (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.shownewsinpictures&page=1) . The city council and mayor had this link ( hoping downtown Tucson would stop building crappy architecture ). .... I wished they rebuild the Pioneer Hotel from scratch restoring the 1920's design ... maybe include wider sidewalks :blink:

Gosh, I wished I had a helicopter so I can take photos of Tucson's very own 'Sky Island Parkway' - Catalina Hwy to Mt. Lemon and Saguaro Nat'l Park.

acatalanb
Mar 2, 2011, 3:37 PM
Here's a link to a video that talks about the changing atmosphere in downtown Tucson and out of town visitors who usually visit other attractions and leave, but now were seeing visitors who actually want to go downtown and know about the history of urban Tucson. :P

Thanks for linking that clip. Beowolf Alley's, Beth Dell, hit the right words from that clip - 'choices' and 'cleanliness' . There are things that I could get at the 17th Market and some at a Trader's Joe or Safeway. Target, Kohl's or Walmart downtown (http://www.onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jeffsherman/bigretaildowntown.html)? Why not! Target might land in downtown Portland (http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/09/target_has_a_bullseye_on_downt.html).

Here's an article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/globe-to/the-little-big-box-stores-that-could/article1913912/page1/) regarding box stores in Toronto . March 2, 2011 NPR Arcticle about Big Box Retailers downtown (http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/132231472/big-box-retailers-move-to-smaller-stores-in-cities)

Tucson needs to change it's attitude towards business. It needs to be more pro-business. I had it with all the excuses by NIMBY's in this 'town'. They had their way the last 40 years...Now, it's our turn the next 40 OR SO years. I don't want to move...

Takes forever to build a Rainbow Bridge, Arena or a convention center (if it ever gets built) but it shouldn't take years to build a Trader Joe's or Walmart downtown.

Btw, the Centennial Park (http://azpm.org/news/story/2011/3/1/1830-arizona-centennial-honors-pioneers/) idea is a great idea.

HooverDam
Mar 2, 2011, 5:54 PM
If the arena actually goes through, I hope it gets built on the west side and that it looks fabulous. The former proposed 'turtle' arena reminds me of the ol' valley national bank (http://www.tempe.gov/museum/tempe_history/properties/hps440.htm) in Tempe during the 80's (corner of apache blvd/rural rd) :yuck:

Are you just making a face b/c its Tempe? B/c that Bank was gorgeous as were the renderings for that turtle shell arena.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot in Tucson but is there any concern about building a basketball arena off campus? Seems like a risky idea, the streetcar would help though. I'm pretty sure McKale is the largest Pac 10/12 arena, seems like a tough sell to tell taxpayers they need something entirely new.

acatalanb
Mar 2, 2011, 6:46 PM
Are you just making a face b/c its Tempe? B/c that Bank was gorgeous as were the renderings for that turtle shell arena.

I don't know a whole heck of a lot in Tucson but is there any concern about building a basketball arena off campus? Seems like a risky idea, the streetcar would help though. I'm pretty sure McKale is the largest Pac 10/12 arena, seems like a tough sell to tell taxpayers they need something entirely new.

No, I'm not making a face b/c it's Tempe. I used to live in Tempe and I happen to like what's been done at downtown Tempe. Let's just agree to disagree, you like that bank (and the turtle shell arena), I don't.

I don't know what the concern is about building a basketball arena downtown. In fact, there's a lot of 'concern' about building all kinds of sports venues (football, soccer, baseball stadiums etc..) in downtown Tucson over the last 10 years and NONE has come to fruition. And there's been a lot of talk of building grand scale attractions such as a rainbow bridge (see page #1 on this thread) , planetarium etc.. and NOTHING came out except for $230 million spent with NOTHING much to show. The people running downtown Tucson renovation are bent to renovating Tucson as a tourist destination instead of something more practical like housing, restaurants ( like Tempe ).

Personally, I'd rather see more day-to-day needs such restaurants, stores, groceries, affordable housing, movie theaters etc... within downtown proper instead of the big ticket items. I like the light rail. I wished there's a bullet train to Vegas and San Diego or even Baja California. Thanks for asking.

Anqrew
Mar 2, 2011, 8:31 PM

The off-campus aspect is my main concern, i worry it will ruin the whole atmosphere you'd have were it on campus, but since there will be a streetcar going straight to it, it would be beneficial. and btw i dont think it's taxpayer money IF they do build it, im guessing the university is going to be paying for it.

HooverDam
Mar 2, 2011, 8:34 PM
and btw i dont think it's taxpayer money IF they do build it, im guessing the university is going to be paying for it.

Which would still be taxpayer money, just from the state not the City of Tucson, right? Or would the athletic department likely be able to pay for it entirely through boosters?

I generally think off campus stadia aren't the best idea for colleges. The Rose Bowl is neat and historic and all but it really suffers from being off UCLAs campus, there's just something nice about being able to tailgate/hang out at ones alma matter and then walk to a game.

acatalanb
Mar 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Which would still be taxpayer money, just from the state not the City of Tucson, right? Or would the athletic department likely be able to pay for it entirely through boosters?

I generally think off campus stadia aren't the best idea for colleges. The Rose Bowl is neat and historic and all but it really suffers from being off UCLAs campus, there's just something nice about being able to tailgate/hang out at ones alma matter and then walk to a game.

HooverDam, what if it the $$$ comes from the state to fund an arena here in Tucson, would you support it? Would it bother you?

HooverDam
Mar 3, 2011, 4:33 AM
HooverDam, what if it the $$$ comes from the state to fund an arena here in Tucson, would you support it? Would it bother you?

I wouldn't care as long as ASU got equal monies for athletic complexes.

E: VV I didn't realize the state chipped in for the Convention Center, so I guess helping for Tucson's arena would be "fair" but sadly for Tucson the fair has left town for a while...the state is broke.

combusean
Mar 3, 2011, 6:53 AM
The State shared the costs for the expansion of the Convention Center with the City of Phoenix, so there's no inherent reason beyond this state's fucked deficit that it shouldn't happen with Tucson's arena.

The state's deficit and its beyond-obnoxious "starve the beast" philosophy of tax cuts, you can forget about their help any time soon. I would be opposed to State involvement with the arena when *everyone else* is getting shafted.

acatalanb
Mar 3, 2011, 1:19 PM
I wouldn't care as long as ASU got equal monies for athletic complexes.

E: VV I didn't realize the state chipped in for the Convention Center, so I guess helping for Tucson's arena would be "fair" but sadly for Tucson the fair has left town for a while...the state is broke.

Fair enough. Yes, everyone is broke. But hopefully, when things pick up ( and it will pick up ), we ( Americans ) need to make every effort to rebuild and update our infrastructure. Thank you.

acatalanb
Mar 3, 2011, 1:22 PM
The State shared the costs for the expansion of the Convention Center with the City of Phoenix, so there's no inherent reason beyond this state's fucked deficit that it shouldn't happen with Tucson's arena.

The state's deficit and its beyond-obnoxious "starve the beast" philosophy of tax cuts, you can forget about their help any time soon. I would be opposed to State involvement with the arena when *everyone else* is getting shafted.

You just summarized our state's financial philosophy - starve the beast and F**K*D DEFICIT. Listen folks, I'd like to see a bullet train running down between Tucson and Phoenix (and Sedona, Flagstaff) ... it ain't gonna happen at least the next few years. Thanks Phoenicians! ...from a former Phoenician

Anqrew
Mar 3, 2011, 8:39 PM
I've just heard that The King Tut exhibit is going to be occupying the space previously used by the Titanic and Bodies exhibits in the Rialto Building. I already saw The King Tut exhibit in San Francisco but i'm excited at all the great exhibits Tucson is getting, i'll probably go to it again. :D

Ritarancher
Mar 4, 2011, 3:17 AM
View from A mountain (today's afternoon)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188824_1930165818739_1380050405_32310530_3068707_n.jpg

Put this on Wikipedia they need a new picture of Tucson

Teacher_AZ_84
Mar 4, 2011, 3:25 AM
I've just heard that The King Tut exhibit is going to be occupying the space previously used by the Titanic and Bodies exhibits in the Rialto Building. I already saw The King Tut exhibit in San Francisco but i'm excited at all the great exhibits Tucson is getting, i'll probably go to it again. :D

I'll be one of the first ones there! I was a Classical minor at the U and took many courses in Egyptology. My last class was about reading and writing ancient Egypt hieroglyphs. This exhibit will be the closest to Egypt I can get to for awhile...

HooverDam
Mar 4, 2011, 4:37 AM
Put this on Wikipedia they need a new picture of Tucson

You guys should make a collage of major local landmarks like I did for the Phoenix page:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Phoenixcollage.jpg

All the cool cities have them :cool:, see?

Boston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_ma)
NYC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_york_city)
LA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_angeles)
Portland, Ore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon)
San Diego (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_diego)

et cetera

I'm not sure what all would be key to incorporate into a Tucson one. A skyline shot of course, a shot of "A" mountain, something signifying UofA (maybe their Old Main), maybe the Fox theater...whatever.

Anqrew
Mar 4, 2011, 5:11 AM
You guys should make a collage of major local landmarks like I did for the Phoenix page:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Phoenixcollage.jpg

All the cool cities have them :cool:, see?

Boston (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston,_ma)
NYC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_york_city)
LA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_angeles)
Portland, Ore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon)
San Diego (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_diego)

et cetera

I'm not sure what all would be key to incorporate into a Tucson one. A skyline shot of course, a shot of "A" mountain, something signifying UofA (maybe their Old Main), maybe the Fox theater...whatever.

I've actually been planning on doing this, it just takes a while to acquire all the pictures with all the appropriate copyrights et cetera. and theres no need to be so patronizing about it, saying things like "all the cool cities" and "whatever", it seems sort of rude to me. (but no matter, i dont really care just wanted to point it out that it comes off slightly rude like that when you read it) and I'd probably include Skyline, Pima County Courthouse, San Xavier, Biosphere 2, Sahuaro National Park, Summerhaven, McKale Center maybe, Agua Caliente Park maybe...

HooverDam
Mar 4, 2011, 7:31 AM
theres no need to be so patronizing about it, saying things like "all the cool cities" and "whatever", it seems sort of rude to me. (but no matter, i dont really care just wanted to point it out that it comes off slightly rude like that when you read it)

I wasn't trying to be patronizing at all, quite sorry. I was being dumb and silly. I never realistically would use a phrase like "all the cool cities," I meant it in a silly way like "hey all the cool kids are doing it", like a bad line from an 80s after school special.

And my use of "whatever" was meant to be interchangeable with et cetera. I don't know Tucson like I know Phoenix, Central AZ and Northern AZ. So I was saying Tucsonians would have to make the decision on whatever images they felt were important and defined their city.

I chose the Biltmore Hotel, Camelback Mountain, the skyline of Phx, a saguaro, St Mary's Basillica and the Tovrea Castle for PHX. I probably should've tried to work in a Haver House though. I'd recommend you include things that are only within the Tucson City limits. There's lots of neat stuff near Phoenix or in its 'burbs, but its not really appropriate for that sort of use.

Anqrew
Mar 4, 2011, 9:26 AM
I wasn't trying to be patronizing at all, quite sorry. I was being dumb and silly. I never realistically would use a phrase like "all the cool cities," I meant it in a silly way like "hey all the cool kids are doing it", like a bad line from an 80s after school special.

And my use of "whatever" was meant to be interchangeable with et cetera. I don't know Tucson like I know Phoenix, Central AZ and Northern AZ. So I was saying Tucsonians would have to make the decision on whatever images they felt were important and defined their city.

I chose the Biltmore Hotel, Camelback Mountain, the skyline of Phx, a saguaro, St Mary's Basillica and the Tovrea Castle for PHX. I probably should've tried to work in a Haver House though. I'd recommend you include things that are only within the Tucson City limits. There's lots of neat stuff near Phoenix or in its 'burbs, but its not really appropriate for that sort of use.

well, when you put it in that context it isn't so bad, so no hard feelings, just figured you were trying to make some joke about Tucson. and i guess it makes sense for photos of things in city limits, rather than general area.

acatalanb
Mar 4, 2011, 2:57 PM
Grady Gammage Center (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grady_Gammage_Memorial_Auditorium) , Biltmore Hote (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=115302&page=7)l and the new entrance to ASU's Hayden Library (http://www.asu.edu/tour/tempe/lib.html) are gems of Metro Phoenix's architecture ( been to all of them ).

If Tucson where to rebuild (and move) the Joel Valdez Library (http://jpgmag.com/photos/1338880)downtown, I'd like it to be based on the Pueblo Deco Architecture ( much like the Biltmore Architecture ). What can I say? I happen to like Art Deco Design (http://www.decopix.com/) .

I'm surprised about the success of that museum by the Rialto (a Tucson architecture gem ). Everytime I pass by that museum , there's always people waiting to get in. Another surprise is the Tucson Children's Museum ( I see kids with parents getting in that museum all the time ). Anyway, Pima Air Museum, my favorite museum, I'm hoping they would expand further ... can't get enough of that museum.

acatalanb
Mar 4, 2011, 3:08 PM
Speaking of Art Deco, that would also be a perfect building architecture for a mix used building complex containing a grocery store chain and one or two big box retail store in the first few floors ( with apartments on the top floors ) here in downtown Tucson .

Downtown Tucson is growing but not fast enough. I know there are small stores around downtown but they are not creating enough foot traffic to visit downtown. I emailed about this to city hall (again).

Btw, I uploaded more photos at the Tucson photo thread (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188659)

davidmperre@gmail.co
Mar 8, 2011, 1:47 AM
Sooo..about the bridge. any news on that?? Is it cancelled? On hold?
ehh? I think that Dowtown Tucson will look AWESOME with a short busy skyline with some modern cool looking glass buildings, and along with that bridge, that would be pretty dang cool.

acatalanb
Mar 8, 2011, 4:38 AM
Sooo..about the bridge. any news on that?? Is it cancelled? On hold?
ehh? I think that Dowtown Tucson will look AWESOME with a short busy skyline with some modern cool looking glass buildings, and along with that bridge, that would be pretty dang cool.

The bridge is a huge question mark. It might come back considering all the $$$ spent on the consultants, blueprints, architect(s) etc... The current mayor ( who won't run for re-election) says it will be built.

You're right. Tucson skyline would look nice if it has more modern looking buildings. I'm hoping that light rail would be the 'gravitational attraction' for future high rise development.

I've read there's solar technology with panels that look like glass windows. Hopefully, whoever builds a glass high rise downtown would implement that technology.

I've been here in Tucson since 1990 and moved to downtown since May '10, I think downtown is the place to live in Tucson. Things that I need are within walkable distance but I'm hoping for more stores (like Walmart), retail, commercial imax movie theater etc... and that the transit center/train depot doesn't get moved to another place.

combusean
Mar 8, 2011, 3:49 PM
The bridge is a huge question mark. It might come back considering all the $$$ spent on the consultants, blueprints, architect(s) etc... The current mayor ( who won't run for re-election) says it will be built.

Wait, what? The bridge? You're not talking about Rainbow Bridge are you?

acatalanb
Mar 8, 2011, 4:48 PM
Wait, what? The bridge? You're not talking about Rainbow Bridge are you?

Yes, that Rainbow Bridge. Btw, Are you against that Rainbow Bridge?

combusean
Mar 8, 2011, 5:12 PM
No, I'm beyond for that bridge. I think it'd be one of the most awesomely profound monuments in America if it were built.

I just haven't heard anything since it was dead in the water a couple years ago. Has something changed that I completely missed since then?