PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

farmerk
Apr 24, 2018, 8:48 AM
Update on The Trinity project

Full Story from the Arizona Daily Star here (http://tucson.com/business/third-major-apartment-project-on-tucson-s-fourth-avenue-goes/article_d198dbc9-860a-56ef-b8ff-565b2035c924.html#tracking-source=home-top-story)

I like this project a lot and appreciate what the developers did in regards to working with the neighborhood to get majority support and the proper scale.

HOWEVER, this quote is alarming: “We had 19 neighborhood meetings,” Dorman said. “We’re very sensitive and have developed the plan all along with them.” This is what gives the City of Tucson the label and reputation of being non-business and difficult to work with. To expect developers to go through that many neighborhood meetings is insane. Very honorable for this development group to go through that, but 19 is ridiculous. Ten (10) would had given me heartburn, but sheesh, 19.

This one has about 20 meetings, http://tucson.com/news/local/grocery-store-planned-for-broadway-and-rosemont/article_78280bcb-70dd-55a5-80af-efa4e2051030.html .

One of the complaints is the usual 'height' issue.

farmerk
Apr 29, 2018, 3:32 AM
New apartment projects around Tucson aren't keeping up with demand (http://tucson.com/business/new-apartment-projects-around-tucson-aren-t-keeping-up-with/article_dfb35a35-9034-5a53-a4eb-c2a6ffbb8d8c.html)

...Currently, the Tucson metro has a 94 percent occupancy rate, which is four percent above what the city has ever seen...

Meanwhile, a great number of new job announcements will be filled by employees transferring to Tucson — a workforce that is likely to rent before deciding if and where to buy a home....

Finding land to build multistory complexes is tough because there is often pushback from residents about height.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 30, 2018, 3:51 PM
Now that the grading and foundation has been set, The Mark has been rising at a pretty good rate.

Construction Cam (https://ueb.net/webcam31.html)

Ted Lyons
Apr 30, 2018, 4:04 PM
Speaking of student housing, workers are on site at HUB 3.

crzyabe
May 3, 2018, 4:08 PM
So here are a few rumors I have heard that are completely unsubstantiated and probably have no basis in truth - but fun none the less :)

- Texas Instruments has inquired about the lot to the west of the Caterpillar building (the landfill remediation lot) for a new location for their Tucson offices

- Plans are being developed for one 6 story and one 11 story building on the large lot(s) south of Sentinel Plaza, on the northeast corner of Cushing and Linda Ave.

- An announcement on the rumored Amazon Distribution Center is expected soon

Ted Lyons
May 3, 2018, 6:23 PM
So here are a few rumors I have heard that are completely unsubstantiated and probably have no basis in truth - but fun none the less :)

- Texas Instruments has inquired about the lot to the west of the Caterpillar building (the landfill remediation lot) for a new location for their Tucson offices

- Plans are being developed for one 6 story and one 11 story building on the large lot(s) south of Sentinel Plaza, on the northeast corner of Cushing and Linda Ave.

Does anyone know how many people TI has in Tucson still? Used to be a ton, but most were transferred several years ago.

On a different note, the webcam for the UA indoor practice facility is live and TIBO has an update of the mixed use project at Speedway and Camino Miramonte.

sheep unite
May 6, 2018, 1:28 AM
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/05/01/tucson-water-files-for-permit-to-recharge-water-through-downtown/
Tucson Water Files For Permit To Recharge Water Through Downtownby TIBO 1/05/2018 | 9:59 10 Posted in Downtown, Green, Infrastructure, Park, Rio Nuevo, Tourism, West side

It looks like Downtown Tucson may be getting closer to having a living Santa Cruz River running through its west side. Tucson Water recently filed for a permit with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality to discharge treated effluent into the Santa Cruz River at Silverlake Road, just southwest of downtown. A portion of the permit description reads: “The Santa Cruz River Heritage Project is an important planned reclaimed water recharge facility near downtown Tucson that will allow Tucson Water to develop additional recharge capacity for the long-term storage of reclaimed water for future use while enhancing the downtown area with a perennial water feature.”

Pretty sweet. I can’t wait!

somethingfast
May 6, 2018, 2:01 AM
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/05/01/tucson-water-files-for-permit-to-recharge-water-through-downtown/
Tucson Water Files For Permit To Recharge Water Through Downtownby TIBO 1/05/2018 | 9:59 10 Posted in Downtown, Green, Infrastructure, Park, Rio Nuevo, Tourism, West side

It looks like Downtown Tucson may be getting closer to having a living Santa Cruz River running through its west side. Tucson Water recently filed for a permit with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality to discharge treated effluent into the Santa Cruz River at Silverlake Road, just southwest of downtown. A portion of the permit description reads: “The Santa Cruz River Heritage Project is an important planned reclaimed water recharge facility near downtown Tucson that will allow Tucson Water to develop additional recharge capacity for the long-term storage of reclaimed water for future use while enhancing the downtown area with a perennial water feature.”

This would be fantastic and absolute no-brainer !

farmerk
May 6, 2018, 5:45 PM

Looking forward what will be built around this piece of Santa Cruz.

I'm hoping for several 30+ floor buildings.

Tucson, it's long overdue!

crzyabe
May 10, 2018, 6:44 PM
Has anyone heard an update on the Arena Site (NorGen Bid)? Their original timeline had construction starting in 2016 (that was never gonna happen). According to their agreement, they need to spend $10 million on the site by 2020. We are reaching the middle of 2018 and there have been no updates that I know of. With all the other projects moving along, they would have a hard time using the economic climate as an excuse.

Ted Lyons
May 11, 2018, 4:41 PM
Has anyone heard an update on the Arena Site (NorGen Bid)? Their original timeline had construction starting in 2016 (that was never gonna happen). According to their agreement, they need to spend $10 million on the site by 2020. We are reaching the middle of 2018 and there have been no updates that I know of. With all the other projects moving along, they would have a hard time using the economic climate as an excuse.

Think Rio Nuevo got an update during an executive session a few months back. Selecting Nor-Gen was a mistake from day one, so wouldn't be surprised if this falls apart.

Azstar
May 11, 2018, 5:08 PM
Think Rio Nuevo got an update during an executive session a few months back. Selecting Nor-Gen was a mistake from day one, so wouldn't be surprised if this falls apart.

Norville is a local developer. IMO, there is no way any local developer is going to be able to raise $100M + for development on its own. Projects this size require participation from out of town/state developers who can raise the financing required.

kaneui
May 11, 2018, 8:04 PM

In addition to the exec. session discussions, the online Rio Nuevo finances show a payment of $855k from Rio Nuevo to NorGen on April 10 for "Land." So did RN buy back a piece of the Arena site? Still no public announcements as to what's going on with this project.

Ted Lyons
May 11, 2018, 8:36 PM
In addition to the exec. session discussions, the online Rio Nuevo finances show a payment of $855k from Rio Nuevo to NorGen on April 10 for "Land." So did RN buy back a piece of the Arena site? Still no public announcements as to what's going on with this project.

Hmm. Interesting.

kmiller5
May 12, 2018, 12:28 AM

I'm fairly certain the 855k was paid to cover the drainage improvements that have taken place on that property over the last several months. I remember reading that part of the development agreement was RN would pay for that portion of it.

InTheBurbs
May 12, 2018, 6:06 PM
Leasing brochure for 75 E Broadway is available from CRBE: http://properties.cbre.us/75-broadway/assets/75-broadway_extended-bro_v2.pdf

Building highlights they are promoting:
* 10th floor offices with outdoor terrace
* 20th floor penthouse with terrace - for offices or for restaurant with outdoor seating
* covered outdoor retail "alley" on ground floor

Also has a few new renders.

andrewsaturn
May 12, 2018, 6:44 PM
Leasing brochure for 75 E Broadway is available from CRBE: http://properties.cbre.us/75-broadway/assets/75-broadway_extended-bro_v2.pdf

* 20th floor penthouse with terrace - for offices or for restaurant with outdoor seating

Very Cool! Thanks for posting.

farmerk
May 13, 2018, 7:28 PM
Norville is a local developer. IMO, there is no way any local developer is going to be able to raise $100M + for development on its own. Projects this size require participation from out of town/state developers who can raise the financing required.

Peach Property is another one.

I guess we'll have to wait another painstaking 10 years to see at least a two floor 'high rise' with these developers. 10 years of loss potential revenues. ;)

somethingfast
May 15, 2018, 10:41 PM

Is this for sure a go? Or still proposed? If the former, this is HUGE for Tucson! Awesome! :cheers:

crzyabe
May 16, 2018, 3:17 PM
Is this for sure a go? Or still proposed? If the former, this is HUGE for Tucson! Awesome! :cheers:

My understanding is that they are gauging interest for the next 3-4 months. They are supposed to return with updated specs at end of summer. The building could be anywhere between 12-20 stories.

If they come back at 20, that is great news as it shows demand in Tucson.

Ted Lyons
May 16, 2018, 6:41 PM

One down. Hope the others are right, too.

http://tucson.com/business/amazon-to-open-giant-warehouse-in-tucson-plans-to-hire/article_21263035-1859-5a2f-827e-8ace5e6ec6a2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

southtucsonboy77
May 16, 2018, 6:53 PM
One down. Hope the others are right, too.

http://tucson.com/business/amazon-to-open-giant-warehouse-in-tucson-plans-to-hire/article_21263035-1859-5a2f-827e-8ace5e6ec6a2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

I'm glad its signed, sealed, and out in the open. I was giddy about this one for awhile.

somethingfast
May 17, 2018, 3:12 AM
My understanding is that they are gauging interest for the next 3-4 months. They are supposed to return with updated specs at end of summer. The building could be anywhere between 12-20 stories.

If they come back at 20, that is great news as it shows demand in Tucson.

Thanks for the add'l detail on this, man. Obviously hope it's 20 but not sure that would make it taller than old Unisource...possible I suppose but would be close. Seems silly to go tall and not top the tallest with just another 2-3 stories but that's how we roll in Zona I guess lol :shrug:

crzyabe
May 17, 2018, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the add'l detail on this, man. Obviously hope it's 20 but not sure that would make it taller than old Unisource...possible I suppose but would be close. Seems silly to go tall and not top the tallest with just another 2-3 stories but that's how we roll in Zona I guess lol :shrug:

If I remember correctly, this building is capped at 200'. 1 South Church is 235' or close to that. This one will not become the tallest. It would be nice to see a new "Tallest Building in Tucson", but I will take anybody who sees the demand for 10+ floors.

I guess it should be said that 5 of the floors will be devoted to parking, so it is not technically 20 stories of office/retail

Patrick S
May 17, 2018, 9:51 PM
If I remember correctly, this building is capped at 200'. 1 South Church is 235' or close to that. This one will not become the tallest. It would be nice to see a new "Tallest Building in Tucson", but I will take anybody who sees the demand for 10+ floors.

I guess it should be said that 5 of the floors will be devoted to parking, so it is not technically 20 stories of office/retail
One South Church is 330 feet I believe. I think this proposal tops at 300.

crzyabe
May 17, 2018, 10:38 PM
One South Church is 330 feet I believe. I think this proposal tops at 300.

My bad, you're right. 300 and 330

combusean
May 17, 2018, 11:33 PM
300' is much closer to what this thing is and what people are reporting. Span to span heights are about 13' on a modern highrise, some of them are going higher still. Garage heights are smaller, but note how big the first floor is, the developer is saying 50'. Also looks like there's excess height on the top floor.

somethingfast
May 18, 2018, 2:53 PM
300' is much closer to what this thing is and what people are reporting. Span to span heights are about 13' on a modern highrise, some of them are going higher still. Garage heights are smaller, but note how big the first floor is, the developer is saying 50'. Also looks like there's excess height on the top floor.

You all beat me to punch - yes, Emporis has former Unisource/Wells/Norwest/Union Bank (I'm old!) height at 330' so I'd say this building has to be at least 300' with larger floorplate to floorplate gaps than what was common in 80's. Let's hope at least 300' as that would really help the skyline.

Patrick S
May 20, 2018, 3:36 PM
Not sure if anybody caught these little lines in either of these news stories, but it appears there are 2 more announcements coming by the end of July about new employers in town.

Caterpillar celebrates a milestone in Tucson (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/38227733/caterpillar-celebrates-a-milestone-in-tucson)
"Sun Corridor says there will be two more announcements about companies moving to Tucson within the next 60 days."

Amazon bringing more than 1,500 jobs to Tucson (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/38205854/sun-corridor-announcing-deal-to-bring-1500-jobs-to-tucson)
"Snell [CEO of Sun Corridor] says he also anticipates two more announcements in the next 60 days. "

Ted Lyons
May 20, 2018, 3:42 PM
Not sure if anybody caught these little lines in either of these news stories, but it appears there are 2 more announcements coming by the end of July about new employers in town.

Caterpillar celebrates a milestone in Tucson (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/38227733/caterpillar-celebrates-a-milestone-in-tucson)
"Sun Corridor says there will be two more announcements about companies moving to Tucson within the next 60 days."

Amazon bringing more than 1,500 jobs to Tucson (http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/38205854/sun-corridor-announcing-deal-to-bring-1500-jobs-to-tucson)
"Snell [CEO of Sun Corridor] says he also anticipates two more announcements in the next 60 days. "

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that.

crzyabe
May 22, 2018, 10:22 PM
Nice article about Tucson's food scene in Food and Wine magazine

Where to Eat and Drink in Tucson, Arizona (https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/tucson-arizona-restaurants-bars)

southtucsonboy77
May 23, 2018, 3:27 PM
Recent real estate transactions across Pima County (https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/recent-real-estate-transactions-across-pima-county/article_6378bf4a-52fb-11e8-8e64-2b2e53a575ed.html)

This kinda went under the radar. I wish there was more detail to this brief sub-article from May 11th, but it does sound like things are starting to move:

Tucson Industrial Development Authority is selling a downtown parking lot to promote development.

The Tucson Industrial Development Authority, which issues revenue bonds and provides financing for qualified projects and helps single-family homebuyers obtain down payment assistance and mortgage tax credits, is selling a well-known parking lot to advance downtown Tucson’s revitalization.

TIDA is selling Block 175, the 2-acre parking lot bounded by Church and Court avenues and Franklin and Council streets, and across Court from El Charro Café. TIDA acquired Block 175 in 1985 in partnership with the Downtown Development Corporation with the goal of selling it to developers to promote downtown development. TIDA became the sole owner of the property in 2008.

Ted Lyons
May 23, 2018, 4:35 PM
Recent real estate transactions across Pima County (https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/construction_real_estate/recent-real-estate-transactions-across-pima-county/article_6378bf4a-52fb-11e8-8e64-2b2e53a575ed.html)

This kinda went under the radar. I wish there was more detail to this brief sub-article from May 11th, but it does sound like things are starting to move:

Tucson Industrial Development Authority is selling a downtown parking lot to promote development.

The Tucson Industrial Development Authority, which issues revenue bonds and provides financing for qualified projects and helps single-family homebuyers obtain down payment assistance and mortgage tax credits, is selling a well-known parking lot to advance downtown Tucson’s revitalization.

TIDA is selling Block 175, the 2-acre parking lot bounded by Church and Court avenues and Franklin and Council streets, and across Court from El Charro Café. TIDA acquired Block 175 in 1985 in partnership with the Downtown Development Corporation with the goal of selling it to developers to promote downtown development. TIDA became the sole owner of the property in 2008.

kaneui mentioned this somewhere. I'm guessing Gadsden either didn't have the necessary financing or all the parties got sick of trying to come up with something that would satisfy all the neighbors. A fully private development probably won't have the same concerns about appeasing picky neighbors.

southtucsonboy77
May 24, 2018, 3:27 PM
Rio Nuevo Board advances El Presidio renovation, TCC improvements for arena football team (https://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/rio-nuevo-board-advances-el-presidio-renovation-tcc-improvements-for/article_90338ab0-5ec2-11e8-9a8f-2bc531e8a0ed.html)

I've been impressed with the Rio Nuevo Board the last several years, although I'm curious as to what is gonna happen with the Arena Site...and now this arena football idea.

The article states: Arena Football League. If true, the AFL is the highest tier of arena football, however there are only 4 teams...all 4 in the east coast. The Arizona Rattlers recently left this league for the 2nd tier Indoor Football League. This league has 6 teams. Since 2010, there have been approximately 29 teams that folded, including the Tucson Thunder Kats, and 6 failed expansion teams that never played a game.

Finally, there is the Champions Indoor Football league. It appears to be a 3rd tier league with 11 teams, including the Duke City Gladiators based in Albuquerque. For me personally, my opinion, especially with the history of arena football in Tucson and around the country...this is a waste of $$$ and time and effort. Minor league hockey has done alright...the Roadrunners have been a winning team. The true test for fans and the community is when the team is not winning. Its outside of the Rio Nuevo realm, but soccer is the regional and global sport and the way to go.

InTheBurbs
May 25, 2018, 5:17 PM
Both UA Tech Parks in Tucson move ahead with hotel, office and residential plans (http://tucson.com/business/both-ua-tech-parks-in-tucson-move-ahead-with-hotel/article_e70c6e1d-a301-5e89-86e0-bb4cb8d10f54.html#tracking-source=home-top-story)

From David Wichner in today's AZ Daily Star:

Office buildings will finally start going up at the UA Tech Park at the Bridges on Tucson’s south side, and planning is underway for a mixed-use “urban village” development for the Tech Park on Rita Road, according to plans unveiled by the University of Arizona Thursday.

Tech Parks Arizona announced Thursday that it has picked The Boyer Co., a Salt Lake City company, as a development partner to design and develop a new “Technology Precinct” at The Bridges, at South Kino Parkway and East 36th Street.

The first development in the Technology Precinct is expected to be the Innovation and Technology Complex, initially anchored by a four-story office building that will house the UA’s technology-commercialization operation, Tech Launch Arizona, as soon as early next year.

Tech Parks Arizona also selected Tucson-based Bourn Cos. as master developer of The Village, a 175-acre proposed development at the Tech Park on Rita Road including commercial, residential and hotel components.
The Village is still in the early planning stages and Bourn still must bring in other developers and investors, Bourn said.

“We’re not looking at the next five years; we’re looking at the next 25 or 30 years,” he said. “All great cities have dense nodes of activity that bring energy and excitement, and we really believe that for the southeastern part of Tucson, this can become that node, if not become the No. 1 node for research and development.”

The new plans for The Bridges are further along, as UA officials floated the idea of an initial tech building anchored by Tech Launch Arizona more than two years ago.

Long-term plans for the Technology Precinct at The Bridges include four to five office buildings, a full-service hotel and conference center, a parking structure and 400,000 square feet of additional office and lab space.

The first structure planned is a four-story, 120,000-square foot office building dedicated to education and housing Tech Launch Arizona, which currently resides in the aging Tucson Electric Power Co. building on St. Mary’s Road near Interstate 10.

A second, adjacent lab and office building is planned with six floors and 180,000 square feet, said Bradley Leathley, a principal in the project’s architectural firm, Flad Architects.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/5f/85f80c62-dca2-5ca2-812b-1947ff085a2a/5b073088ca9a3.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C645

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/ae/bae293a4-a3d8-5a70-8970-7548d6912a78/5b0730f79712a.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C720

Both renders from Tech Parks Arizona

Ted Lyons
Jun 1, 2018, 6:18 PM

Messing around on PRO, I see that these two lots are now owned by Riverside Development Group LLC. Up to December 2017, they were owned by Mission District Partners. The two members of Riverside Development Group are Aerie Development LLC (owners of 1 South Church) and Mission District Partners. The Weinsteins transferring partial ownership of the properties probably indicates there are some sort of development plans out there.

crzyabe
Jun 5, 2018, 3:42 PM
In passing conversation a friend mentioned that they are looking for a new location for the Moxy hotel. Apparently, the lot on 5th can not support the structure they had planned to build.

Has anyone heard something similar? I wonder if they will go back to the Ronstadt project

Ted Lyons
Jun 5, 2018, 4:16 PM
In passing conversation a friend mentioned that they are looking for a new location for the Moxy hotel. Apparently, the lot on 5th can not support the structure they had planned to build.

Has anyone heard something similar? I wonder if they will go back to the Ronstadt project

Well, that would be a massive engineering failure. IIRC, that garage was always meant to be topped with a similar sized structure.

Patrick S
Jun 5, 2018, 11:48 PM
Plans revised for apartment project next to iconic Tucson monastery (http://tucson.com/business/plans-revised-for-apartment-project-next-to-iconic-tucson-monastery/article_4b433f69-3a0c-58ae-beb0-a99f2b87a4ee.html)
The developer of the Benedictine Monastery site has agreed to lower the height of the tallest proposed apartment buildings by 19 feet, protect the structure as a historic landmark and preserve a beloved avocado tree on the grounds.

But the gesture may not be enough for some who want the entire site — orchards, walking paths and quiet spaces — spared from development after the Tucson City Council’s intervention last month to begin the process of historic designation for the monastery.

The 6-acre site, at 800 N. Country Club Road, was bought by local developer Ross Rulney last year after the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration sold it to relocate to Missouri.

In a letter to the mayor and council, delivered Friday, architect Corky Poster said the new proposal would provide 222 units — the number currently allowed — prohibit student housing and protect the monastery from demolition.

Rulney needs the city to rezone the site from its current allowable use of group dwelling, which includes student housing, and office space to multifamily housing and retail.

“It will cost the city nothing and produce property and sales tax,” Poster wrote. “Or the Mayor and Council can reject the new proposal, leaving Ross to build under current zoning, likely student housing.”

In that scenario, the architectural firm Poster Frost Mirto would bow out of the project because it specializes in historic preservation, not student housing.

“Let’s stop the expensive gamesmanship and work together … to develop a project that we all can enjoy and be proud of,” Poster wrote.

DESIGN DISPUTE
The original plan featured two buildings north and south of the monastery with a height of 85 feet and a third building on the east with a height of 55 feet. The revised plan proposes two 66-foot-buildings north and south and a 45-foot building on the east.

A sticking point for the city councilman who represents the area neighborhoods is that the buildings not be taller than the monastery.

Rulney and Poster say the building will be 22 and 33 feet lower than the monastery height, but Councilman Steve Kozachik said the measure of “height” should not include the cupola.

“We just fundamentally disagree with the idea of what they’re proposing,” Kozachik said. “I told Corky he should not count on me leading a parade down Country Club with pompoms in support of it.”

Shorter buildings would be “a conversation starter” Kozachik said, but declined to say what height he would accept.

“I’m not designing the building for them,” he said. “Design guidelines are no taller than the existing building — the building mass.”

Kozachik, who initiated proceeding with historic designation of the monastery, said the designation would apply to the whole site.

“There’s room to use the site as a negotiating piece,” he said. “He may not be able to develop what he wants to develop, but he can develop something.”

Beyond immediate neighbors, Kozachik said he has gotten feedback from people all over the city to protect the monastery.

“The ball is in their court and we’re moving forward with the historic listing process,” he said. “While that’s going on, they’re perfectly free to come in and talk about what can be built.”

A group of residents from the Miramonte and Sam Hughes neighborhoods did not embrace the latest proposal.

The “vote by the mayor and council was a game changer in reorienting this discussion toward solutions that respect the historic building and the neighborhoods,” Neighbors for Reasonable Monastery Development said in a statement sent to the Star.

“We urge the development team to recognize this new environment and explore real alternatives beyond the six- or seven-story apartment towers we have seen thus far.”

RETURN ON INVESTMENT
Rulney and Poster say they believe there is broad support for market-rate rentals on the property.

“It provides a currently nonexistent housing choice for middle-income millennials and empty-nesters that want to live near all the amenities Sam Hughes and Miramonte residents enjoy,” Poster said.

Rulney said the concession of two stories was a nod to the feedback from neighbors, as was his promise to preserve the large avocado tree in the courtyard. He said he has no intention of selling the site.

“I will develop the property, preserve the monastery and protect my rights of ownership,” he said.

More units — and subsequent height — are the only way to get a return on investment, Poster said. The current height limit is 40 feet.

“In order to keep per-square-foot costs of quality construction at a level that can be repaid by the top end of that rental market, we need the economies of scale, i.e. more units,” he said. “Without that, only higher rents will solve our problem. And those higher rents are only available from student housing.”

If the rezoning isn’t approved, Rulney will proceed with development of student housing, as is currently allowed.

“The sisters marketed and sold the property based on highest and best use, and student housing is just that,” he said. If that’s the case, the only rezoning needed would be for the monastery to be developed for retail, hospitality, boutique or wellness.

“Today’s zoning allows student group dwelling and office,” Rulney said, “which dictates that the existing building will only be visited by those who lease space and without public access.”

“There’s room to use the site as a negotiating piece. He may not be able to develop what he wants to develop, but he can develop something.” Steve Kozachik, Tucson city councilman

T'Town
Jun 7, 2018, 11:04 PM
_

farmerk
Jun 17, 2018, 6:13 AM
T'Town, we'll see if that whiny NIMBY, Steve K., will vote for this project.

As for Benedictine Monastery Project, I'd keep the original design.

20-story tower, 20 years in the making, may grace prominent Tucson intersection (https://tucson.com/business/story-tower-years-in-the-making-may-grace-prominent-tucson/article_fe17ec04-60ce-535e-8848-3d5152ef8890.html)

On Tuesday, the Tucson City Council is to vote on a plan to build the 20-story tower on the northwest corner of Campbell Avenue and Speedway that will feature residential, office, retail and open space with an emphasis on public transit.....

...A local firm, Rick Joy Architects, is designing the building with louvers to create a porous look, versus a giant concrete appearance, said architect Matt Luck.

“You won’t be constantly walking around the perimeter,” he said. “You’ll be able to weave in and out and cut through the property.”

The colors and design are intended to reflect desert tones, Luck said.

“We want the building to have a sense of place,” he said. “Yes, it’s a large project, but very specific to Tucson.”...

...If the council approves the Speedway-Campbell plan on Tuesday, the building could be completed by 2022.

Shenkarow estimates the project’s budget at about $300 million...

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/64/46453c7e-acae-56a8-af31-3d99f505b028/5b1efb2209db0.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C599

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/e4/2e49d808-7ade-5630-b970-448f007fe582/5b1efb2133c8f.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C666

Patrick S
Jun 18, 2018, 3:05 AM
T'Town, we'll see if that whiny NIMBY, Steve K., will vote for this project.

As for Benedictine Monastery Project, I'd keep the original design.
Why wouldn’t he? This project makes sense and isn’t surrounding a beautiful historic property. Just because someone doesn’t agree with one poorly advised project doesn’t mean they’re a NIMBY.

farmerk
Jun 18, 2018, 7:55 AM
Why wouldn’t he? This project makes sense and isn’t surrounding a beautiful historic property. Just because someone doesn’t agree with one poorly advised project doesn’t mean they’re a NIMBY.

Steve K. has a NIMBY track record.

It's NOT a poorly advised project. To you it is.

I'm sorry I offended your hero. Take it easy.

cdsuofa
Jun 18, 2018, 12:45 PM
The zoning examiner has recommended approvals for both projects (as I believe the Baffert rezoning is on the agenda as well). So that's good news. This NIMBY stuff is getting ridiculous. We don't want U of A eating up our neighborhoods but we also don't want tall buildings in and around the University. We dont want to see our desert razed for housing developments, but we dont want medium and high density infill projects. We want clean air and less cars but we don't support the projects that make that type of lifestyle possible. Could go all day with these types of examples. It's getting ridiculous.

InTheBurbs
Jun 19, 2018, 1:38 PM
Fire at Broadway and Euclid

Is this the Mark site? They mention that the first damaged construction cranes.

https://tucson.com/news/local/overnight-fire-engulfs-tucson-construction-site-south-of-ua-campus/article_213c5292-73bf-11e8-aeed-9b968ca414b5.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/d6/3d65e87a-73bf-11e8-9af1-6378231e1d25/5b28fc4b30f3e.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C900
Image: Tucson Fire Dept.

InTheBurbs
Jun 19, 2018, 1:40 PM
From the Mark's Webcam:

https://ueb.net/webcam31.html

azliam
Jun 19, 2018, 1:59 PM
From the Mark's Webcam:

https://ueb.net/webcam31.html

That blows. I saw on the news here in PHX this morning and thought I'd pull up the webcam. Didn't expect to see that.

Ted Lyons
Jun 19, 2018, 4:33 PM
The wooden structure appears to be completely leveled. https://twitter.com/gloriaeknott/status/1009109885999460354

If significant demo of the concrete structure is required (doesn't look like it, but who knows), I'm doubting this project gets finished.

OldPueblo$
Jun 19, 2018, 4:56 PM
Sure seems like arson no? For a fire of that magnitude to occur at this stage in construction seems odd.

azliam
Jun 19, 2018, 5:05 PM
The wooden structure appears to be completely leveled. https://twitter.com/gloriaeknott/status/1009109885999460354

If significant demo of the concrete structure is required (doesn't look like it, but who knows), I'm doubting this project gets finished.

Follow up tweet:
https://twitter.com/gloriaeknott/status/1009115781265649664

Azstar
Jun 19, 2018, 6:11 PM
Sure seems like arson no? For a fire of that magnitude to occur at this stage in construction seems odd.

I would not be shocked if this fire were started by NIMBY's. There's a substantial number of "keep Tucson shitty" contingent who object to any development, of any sort, anywhere. About a year ago there were dozens of people protesting the widening/upgrading of Broadway in exactly that area.

somethingfast
Jun 19, 2018, 6:37 PM
I would not be shocked if this fire were started by NIMBY's. There's a substantial number of "keep Tucson shitty" contingent who object to any development, of any sort, anywhere. About a year ago there were dozens of people protesting the widening/upgrading of Broadway in exactly that area.

Not saying that isn't what happened but, holy crap, that is a major crime to commit for the sake of "preservation". Tucson has a lot of nutjobs that way but I really hope this is just an accident and not arson...by anyone. To go that far in a "cause" or to collect insurance is just psychotically dangerous.

InTheBurbs
Jun 19, 2018, 7:27 PM
Looks like UEB took down the webcam. Likely some clues as to the cause. When I saw it this morning it was stopped at a point that showed the fire already underway in or next to what looked like the construction office or a storage building. Only saw it for a second and didn't get a chance to take a screen grab or go back in time.

cdsuofa
Jun 19, 2018, 9:37 PM
This screams arson in my opinion. Check out the aftermath... the heat must have been so intense.
http://tiboaz.biz/2018/06/19/images-aftermath-of-the-mark-at-tucson-student-housing-developments-fire/

chenley333
Jun 19, 2018, 9:45 PM

Lot's going on in this post.

I'm not sure it's helpful to use blanket labels for people who have different views from you on development projects as NIMBY. True, there are some who don't want any new development, but the vast majority of people both for and against projects have varied and nuanced reasons.

So I'm in the neighborhood along the east side of Park Ave (Rincon Heights) and we and the Pie Allen n'hood met multiple times with the developer of The Mark. We were prepared to support an even larger project (700+ beds, 10 floors, plus ground-level retail) but the developer couldn't wait an extra year to start generating revenue, so that scaled it down, removed the retail, and began construction. So if we're using labels, here's an example where the neighborhoods were actually YIMBYs.

As for the Broadway protesters - that's me too. Totally unrelated to The Mark project. We just don't see it as "widen = upgrading". We agree that Broadway is in need of lots of work, but we feel there's a way to do it without demolishing 2 miles of local businesses and historic properties. If it has to be widened, we were hoping for dedicated transit/streetcar/BRT, not just another car lane. What other metro area of 1 million do you expect to be able to drive right into downtown on a 6-lane road?

See, nuance. Not against it, just have a different definition of "upgrading".

chenley333
Jun 19, 2018, 10:06 PM

I'm not sure it's helpful to use blanket labels for people who have different views from you on development projects as NIMBY. True, there are some who don't want any new development, but the vast majority of people both for and against projects have varied and nuanced reasons.

So I'm in the neighborhood along the east side of Park Ave (Rincon Heights) and we and the Pie Allen n'hood met multiple times with the developer of The Mark. We were prepared to support an even larger project (700+ beds, 10 floors, plus ground-level retail) but the developer couldn't wait an extra year to start generating revenue, so that scaled it down, removed the retail, and began construction. So if we're using labels, here's an example where the neighborhoods were actually YIMBYs.

As for the Broadway protesters - that's me too. Totally unrelated to The Mark project. We just don't see it as "widen = upgrading". We agree that Broadway is in need of lots of work, but we feel there's a way to do it without demolishing 2 miles of local businesses and historic properties. If it has to be widened, we were hoping for dedicated transit/streetcar/BRT, not just another car lane. What other metro area of 1 million do you expect to be able to drive right into downtown on a 6-lane road?

In re-reading this, I didn't mean for it to sound so snarky. So nothing personal against AZStar. I'll try not to be so sensitive :worship:

Ted Lyons
Jun 19, 2018, 10:49 PM

I live along the "Sunshine Mile" as well and I think almost everyone here is onboard with rail or BRT along Broadway, so I'm legitimately curious how you think the project could have proceeded with that infrastructure without widening to three lanes each way. My personal view of the project is that it's not ideal because it doesn't include BRT or rail but that the current scope at least allows for that in the future without taking additional property at a later date. A narrower project now would have likely required an additional 30 years to expand a second time, which is a losing argument for me.

chenley333
Jun 19, 2018, 11:04 PM
I live along the "Sunshine Mile" as well and I think almost everyone here is onboard with rail or BRT along Broadway, so I'm legitimately curious how you think the project could have proceeded with that infrastructure without widening to three lanes each way. My personal view of the project is that it's not ideal because it doesn't include BRT or rail but that the current scope at least allows for that in the future without taking additional property at a later date. A narrower project now would have likely required an additional 30 years to expand a second time., which is a losing argument for me.

Agree, you could run a streetcar in mixed traffic with the current 4-lane configuration, but that's not ideal. I was on the Citizen's Task Force and we were really close to having the additional lane be dedicated to transit, but the City wouldn't go for it. We also pushed them to complete their detailed High Capacity Transit Study for Broadway, and they promised to do that. But now, almost 3 years later, that study has been shelved. So it felt like they were dangling the transit carrot just to get an additional auto lane. I would have liked to have seen them commit to funding/building Broadway as a transit-priority road, and until/unless they could do that, leave it as is.

I know that would leave the businesses who have been waiting for 25+ years in limbo even longer. It was a messy project - been on the books way too long, based on faulty traffic projections (current traffic less than 20 years ago), and businesses left to hang.

I'm still conflicted on this project. In the end, I begrudgingly supported the 6-lane configuration that's now moving forward with the hope for future BRT/rail etc. Some days I regret that. I hope we don't have to wait 30 years to see good redevelopment and good transit.

Ted Lyons
Jun 20, 2018, 2:04 AM
Agree, you could run a streetcar in mixed traffic with the current 4-lane configuration, but that's not ideal. I was on the Citizen's Task Force and we were really close to having the additional lane be dedicated to transit, but the City wouldn't go for it. We also pushed them to complete their detailed High Capacity Transit Study for Broadway, and they promised to do that. But now, almost 3 years later, that study has been shelved. So it felt like they were dangling the transit carrot just to get an additional auto lane. I would have liked to have seen them commit to funding/building Broadway as a transit-priority road, and until/unless they could do that, leave it as is.

I know that would leave the businesses who have been waiting for 25+ years in limbo even longer. It was a messy project - been on the books way too long, based on faulty traffic projections (current traffic less than 20 years ago), and businesses left to hang.

I'm still conflicted on this project. In the end, I begrudgingly supported the 6-lane configuration that's now moving forward with the hope for future BRT/rail etc. Some days I regret that. I hope we don't have to wait 30 years to see good redevelopment and good transit.

Thanks for the response and I'm glad someone with your investment and knowledge served on the task force. In sum, your points pretty much mirror my views. One sort of dormant issue that doesn't get mentioned is that, if the reduced traffic figures are accurate and if traffic doesn't increase massively with the added lanes, we have a built in selling point (the unnecessary third lane) for transit infrastructure down the road.

On the property front, I think I have less of an attachment to many of the structures proposed for demolition than some. Steve Kozachik made a valid point awhile back about limiting battles to properties that deserve to be saved. I think Rio Nuevo won such a battle with the "bungalow block." Conversely, I don't think the Madaras Gallery building or Water Ways (both of which, if I'm not mistaken, Kozachik supported preserving) met that standard.

crzyabe
Jun 20, 2018, 3:38 PM
Looks like the 20 story tower at Campbell and Speedway was approved and can move forward

20-story tower slated to get underway at prominent Tucson intersection (https://tucson.com/news/local/story-tower-slated-to-get-underway-at-prominent-tucson-intersection/article_3d480ab4-6f9e-594f-902d-099082074a6e.html)

somethingfast
Jun 20, 2018, 3:56 PM
Win ! Yes, this and the 20+ building downtown will really change the skyline quite a bit! Things are happening Tucson

T'Town
Jun 20, 2018, 6:06 PM
Win ! Yes, this and the 20+ building downtown will really change the skyline quite a bit! Things are happening Tucson

Glad to see this development approved! It will be interesting to see how much our skyline will change in the next 3-7 years. Can't wait to see some updated renderings in the near future.

Thirsty
Jun 21, 2018, 1:38 AM

A timber structure all framed out but still bare will burn intensely. Like arranging your kindling with enough room for air to get between the sticks.

This video of a timber apartment block still under construction in Gilbert two years ago was a five alarm fire, made national news.
https://www.nbcnews.com/video/massive-fire-burns-at-construction-site-672522819622

combusean
Jun 21, 2018, 2:24 AM
^ No fire suppression either.

These things are huge hazards when they're under construction and between construction accidents and arson burn all the time. The insurance premiums are big and contribute to the high construction costs and rents.

OldPueblo$
Jun 21, 2018, 3:35 PM
Great point on the fire suppression. I thought of that as well. My bad as to the intensity as I didn't realize it was framed out to the extent it was. They were much further along than I thought. Really a shame.

farmerk
Jun 27, 2018, 12:52 AM
Chuck Josephson: Neighborhoods should not be geographical (https://tucson.com/opinion/local/chuck-josephson-neighborhoods-should-not-be-geographical/article_f642280a-9eb9-5251-93ed-b39c7e3b3cde.html)

Thus do neighborhoods, often just a few activists, assume a controlling role in city leadership.

The widening of Broadway was attacked by some neighborhood activists who, using their own view of what the cityscape should be and disregarding the experts who look at the entire city’s needs, forced changes to protect a single building, one whose architecture is nice but unremarkable. They won.

Yet, because of the power of neighborhoods, neither city fathers or even property owners dare fight the voices of a few powerful neighborhood leaders.....

Neighborhood political activists (NIMBY...I mean YIMBY :haha:), your influence is waning in Tucson.

crzyabe
Jun 27, 2018, 8:52 PM
The Downtown Tucson Development Summer Update report is out:

Downtown Tucson Development Update Summer 2018 (http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Downtown-Development-Report-Summer-2018-1.pdf)

Couple interesting things:

There is no mention of the Norville/Arena Site project
The Rendezvous Urban Flats now have an unknown start date
The Ronstadt project is still awaiting FTA approval

What does it take to get things moving on that TCC Arena site?

cdsuofa
Jun 27, 2018, 9:35 PM
The Downtown Tucson Development Summer Update report is out:

Downtown Tucson Development Update Summer 2018 (http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Downtown-Development-Report-Summer-2018-1.pdf)

Couple interesting things:

There is no mention of the Norville/Arena Site project
The Rendezvous Urban Flats now have an unknown start date
The Ronstadt project is still awaiting FTA approval

What does it take to get things moving on that TCC Arena site?
A new developer lol. He doesn't have the resources to handle a large scale, $100+ million project.

Phxguy
Jun 28, 2018, 5:28 PM
https://tucson.com/news/retrotucson/how-much-has-tucson-changed-check-out-these-then-and/collection_b9232f2a-7998-11e8-9922-d3fd0cfcc5c3.html#20

Neat article!

crzyabe
Jun 29, 2018, 5:31 PM
Streetcar 4 year anniversary: How successful has it been? (http://www.kvoa.com/story/38484922/streetcar-approaches-4-year-anniversary-but-how-successful-have-they-been-in-4-years)

The gist of the article: Ridership has leveled off, but the streetcar mostly pays for itself.

There is an interesting tidbit in the final paragraph:

"The city is looking into route options to spread the streetcar farther than downtown and they plan to host public engagement meetings in the next 12 months."

Ted Lyons
Jul 1, 2018, 9:30 PM
Saw some crane components being delivered to The Mark this morning. Not sure if they were being parked there temporarily for use at another project, which I've seen before there, but hoping it's a replacement for the destroyed crane.

InTheBurbs
Jul 1, 2018, 10:31 PM
In addition to the new Southwest flight to San Jose and the additional flight to Vegas, it looks like SWA are adding a weekly flight on Sundays to Dallas Love Field.

According to the Dallas Morning News (https://www.dallasnews.com/business/southwest-airlines/2018/06/28/southwest-airlines-adding-15-daily-flights-already-crowded-love-field):

The expanded schedule will bring nonstop flights to seven new cities beginning Jan. 7, 2019. That includes new markets like Louisville and Tucson, plus a return of daily nonstop service to several cities, including Minneapolis; Milwaukee; Fort Myers, Fla.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and Charleston, S.C.

InTheBurbs
Jul 9, 2018, 3:12 AM
According to TIBO (http://tiboaz.biz/), at their last meeting Rio Nuevo approved the leases for 75 E Broadway, where RN will lease the land from Pima County and sublease it to the developer, JE Dunn. They are expecting to start construction late this year.

http://tiboaz.biz/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/75-e-broadway25.jpg
Image: CBRE

michael85225
Jul 9, 2018, 6:47 AM
Nice, this will be good for downtown Tuscon. Pretty soon we are going to have 3 cities in Arizona that are simultaneously constructing high rises. Tempe, Tuscon and Phoenix.

crzyabe
Jul 9, 2018, 4:05 PM
According to TIBO (http://tiboaz.biz/), at their last meeting Rio Nuevo approved the leases for 75 E Broadway, where RN will lease the land from Pima County and sublease it to the developer, JE Dunn. They are expecting to start construction late this year.

If I am not mistaken, JE Dunn still needs to finish their financial analysis which I believe is supposed to wrap up by the end of this month. The building's final sqft, height and amenities will be proposed at that time. I am hoping they see enough demand to hit the 20 stories proposed.

Ted Lyons
Jul 9, 2018, 8:14 PM
The new crane for The Mark is being constructed today. Also, their webcam is back. https://app.oxblue.com/open/landmarkproperties/dashboard

crzyabe
Jul 9, 2018, 8:37 PM
The new crane for The Mark is being constructed today. Also, their webcam is back. https://app.oxblue.com/open/landmarkproperties/dashboard

Shew! I was worried that was going to turn into an abandoned, burnt out eye sore for years

Ted Lyons
Jul 9, 2018, 9:32 PM
Shew! I was worried that was going to turn into an abandoned, burnt out eye sore for years

Same. Here. It's a credit to them that they got it back on track this fast.

somethingfast
Jul 10, 2018, 2:14 AM
So what are the chances this tower is actually going to get built? Better than average now? This is pretty huge for Tucson if it happens and it's anywhere close to that size...very cool...been waiting a long time for a new tall in Ol' Pubelo...

ComplotDesigner
Jul 10, 2018, 4:32 PM

Yup, this is from earlier today.

https://i.imgur.com/I2mJbvK.jpg

Patrick S
Jul 16, 2018, 12:09 AM
Foothills Mall Redevelopment Moving Forward (http://azbex.com/foothills-mall-redevelopment-moving-forward/)

Originally developed in 1981, the 22-parcel, 68-acre Foothills Mall in unincorporated Pima County will undergo a massive renovation and restoration as a multi-modal live/work/play destination under an ambitious master plan submitted to the county’s Development Services Department last month by owners FHM Partners, LLC.

According to the proposal’s introduction, “Across the country, urban and suburban shopping malls are evolving to create new environments. Consumer interaction with bricks and mortar stores is changing with the increase in online sales activity over the last 5-10 years. This change in behavior and move away from outdated mall concepts provides an incredible opportunity to redevelop and reposition the FHM property to provide a unique, exciting, regional destination and living environment with existing infrastructure to support the multi-dimensional development.”

FHM Partners purchased the site, located at the NWC of Ina Road and La Cholla Boulevard, in Dec., 2016, and has spent the intervening time studying retail and mixed-use properties around the country to develop its plan. Among the planned uses are entertainment, housing, office, retail and hospitality. The current 620KSF building space will undergo a complete redesign and modification. Portions will be demolished to provide enhanced connectivity between all the proposed uses.

To promote pedestrian/cycling activity, partially shaded walkways will be provided and included in the overall circulation plan. Pedestrian connections to the multifamily components are intended, as are linkages to the Pima County trail system.

The plan states in order to realize the consolidated, integrated mixed-use vision the owners have in mind, “an increase in density and intensity of development will be required. Moderately intense uses are already established on the Property and surround it on all sides: multi-family residential to the west, office and commercial uses to the north, and major arterial roadways with office and commercial uses to the south and east. To attain the vision, this Specific Plan permits residential, office and hospitality uses to be 120 feet or up to 10 stories.”

As part of the 15-20-year implementation, the developers will review utility and related needs such as water, sewer and signage on an ongoing, as needed basis. Phasing over the plan’s lifecycle has not yet been established but will be implemented based on market need and demand. Individual development plans will be created and submitted for each component, according to the proposal.

The county Planning & Zoning Department will consider the plan at its Aug. 8 meeting.

InTheBurbs
Jul 17, 2018, 7:30 PM
German-style beer hall coming to downtown Tucson (https://tucson.com/business/german-style-beer-hall-coming-to-downtown-tucson/article_7a2cd4b1-3f16-558e-b593-ccdfb1ff1d44.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1)

Ted Lyons
Jul 25, 2018, 5:41 PM
Not sure where they found the renderings, but TIBO has an exciting update on the Main Gate Square hotel (and now apartments). Hotel will now be under the Graduate flag rather than Residence Inn.

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/07/25/large-mixed-use-hotel-apartment-development-proposed-for-main-gate-square/

crzyabe
Jul 25, 2018, 7:28 PM
Not sure where they found the renderings, but TIBO has an exciting update on the Main Gate Square hotel (and now apartments). Hotel will now be under the Graduate flag rather than Residence Inn.

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/07/25/large-mixed-use-hotel-apartment-development-proposed-for-main-gate-square/

I like the change in concept and the plans. I hope this version has momentum and moves forward

Azstar
Jul 27, 2018, 4:46 PM
It seems that more businesses are closing than opening downtown. Even Stevens has closed. Hydra closed. Proper closed. Brueggers closed. Nestles Toll House Cookies closed. Barrio Sandwiches closed. Supercuts closed. MiAn closed for lunch now. Downtown Kitchen closed for lunch. The vegetarian place next to Urban Fresh closed. Planet Smoothie closed. Feds by Threads closed.

crzyabe
Jul 27, 2018, 5:14 PM
It seems that more businesses are closing than opening downtown. Even Stevens has closed. Hydra closed. Proper closed. Brueggers closed. Nestles Toll House Cookies closed. Barrio Sandwiches closed. Supercuts closed. MiAn closed for lunch now. Downtown Kitchen closed for lunch. The vegetarian place next to Urban Fresh closed. Planet Smoothie closed. Feds by Threads closed.

Couple things: I thought Even Stevens was sub-par, there are way better sandwiches downtown. Nestle Toll never really took off and with Insomnia Cookies a few blocks away, no need for Nestle. MiAn is open for lunch, just a limited menu that focuses on Poke and Stir fry. Barrio Sandwiches' location was a major factor. Foot traffic down Scott at lunch during the day is non-existent.

I don't know if this is out of the ordinary. You throw a lot of businesses at the area and the better ones survive. Here are the stats for businesses opening and closing downtown:

Downtown Business Trends (https://www.downtowntucson.org/2017/10/downtown-business-trend-report/)

Ted Lyons
Jul 27, 2018, 5:17 PM

I mean, you're going back over a few years with these, so I don't think this represents a real trend. Also, some of your examples aren't exactly accurate. Downtown Kitchen, if it was ever open for lunch, hasn't been open for lunch for years. At MiAn's price point, it's not surprising they've limited their hours to dinner either. Barrio Sandwiches was a pop-up from day one. I've heard they're looking for a longer term location, though. Even Stevens's closure is evidently temporary while new management takes over, but we'll see on that.

In any case, businesses come and go everywhere. Sometimes, that's reflective of a downward trend for an entire neighborhood but, more often, it's reflective of problematic business plans (e.g., budget hair salons and niche clothing stores in some of the most expensive retail spaces in the city, a chain bakery in a neighborhood that's generally averse to chains and already has numerous bakery/dessert options).

Qwijib0
Jul 27, 2018, 11:01 PM
I like the change in concept and the plans. I hope this version has momentum and moves forward

That property is cursed to be a disintegrating parking lot for years.

kmiller5
Jul 28, 2018, 3:16 PM

Daily Star article says they are trying to break ground by late 2018. Would be huge if they did.

Also, I can’t remember the source but I recently saw an article celebrating the sunlinks 4 year anniversary and the communications guy for sunlink envisioned an expanded route within 4 years. East and the airport were two mentioned routes.

InTheBurbs
Jul 28, 2018, 10:15 PM

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/tucson.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/08/f08b86e4-2661-5cd1-b8c1-dc5df76e0ac9/5b5b791284527.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C668
Render: Antunovich Associates (via Arizona Daily Star)

I like this better than the original Residence Inn idea. However, it would have been nice if instead of the Flinn something like THIS had gone next to the TCC. Hotel and apartments and retail would have been a much better fit for that area, and a big selling point for the TCC in attracting conventions and drawing people to shows, etc.

Ted Lyons
Jul 30, 2018, 7:15 PM
Per Real Estate Daily News, Serial Grillers will be one of the restaurants at City Park. My guess is they'll be one of the two anchors.

InTheBurbs
Jul 31, 2018, 11:00 PM
GEICO Regional Headquarters

The Bourn Companies has some renders of the new GEICO office and pictures of the site out on their Facebook page.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37855351_806740909530439_1439804274639896576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6a19d30838b8f99ad900e7a6e69dae59&oe=5BD33ABE

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37804972_806741482863715_3497472550093455360_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=da830fb8a16a38b6150c8e5561478de1&oe=5C06D072

somethingfast
Aug 1, 2018, 1:20 AM
Nice looking and glad Tucson is achieving some economic success - hopefully will continue even faster as the reactionary old farts move on to the great NIMBY in the sky...

Ted Lyons
Aug 1, 2018, 5:53 PM
An item regarding the sale of the Broadway Volvo property is on next Tuesday's City Council agenda, so looks like there's a developer on board with the prospective PAD.

Almost Now
Aug 1, 2018, 9:20 PM

Also - Bruegger's had a fire. They will re-open once repairs and code upgrades occur.

kmiller5
Aug 2, 2018, 12:44 AM
Haven’t seen this rendering here. The water feature looks great. Considering the development team, I’m actually a little optimistic that this project will happen.

I am a little bummed the new project at Williams Center (sounds like Texas Instruments) didn’t happen next to the new CAT building. I had heard rumors they were looking at the lot next door.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/ward6/pics/university-hotel.png

twig
Aug 2, 2018, 3:12 PM
Someone please help me out and fill in the blanks with references to the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

crzyabe
Aug 2, 2018, 5:09 PM
Haven’t seen this rendering here. The water feature looks great. Considering the development team, I’m actually a little optimistic that this project will happen.

I am a little bummed the new project at Williams Center (sounds like Texas Instruments) didn’t happen next to the new CAT building. I had heard rumors they were looking at the lot next door.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/ward6/pics/university-hotel.png

Yep. I don't think there is any confusion about the fact that "Project Treasure" is Texas Instruments. I don't see how it could be anyone else. This would kill the rumors of their move to the west side. From the leaked details, it does not seem like that big of a deal. I wonder why all the secrecy.

It is good that the Williams Centre empty lot is finally getting some development. That thing has been empty for decades

Patrick S
Aug 2, 2018, 10:58 PM
Yep. I don't think there is any confusion about the fact that "Project Treasure" is Texas Instruments. I don't see how it could be anyone else. This would kill the rumors of their move to the west side. From the leaked details, it does not seem like that big of a deal. I wonder why all the secrecy.

It is good that the Williams Centre empty lot is finally getting some development. That thing has been empty for decades
I agree, it's not a huge deal. The construction will be nice - money going to the city and to local construction workers, as well as having the final piece of land at the William Center finished - but 35 or so jobs over the next 5 years? Even at the average salary being quoted that's only about an extra million dollars in wages a year added to the local economy. It's better than nothing but really it's nothing to write home about.

somethingfast
Aug 3, 2018, 2:14 AM

Is there a rendering? Your attachment is for Main Gate, right? What are they building at Williams Center?