PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

garygeo
Aug 2, 2011, 9:54 PM
What do people think about the Loop (http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/parks/urban_loop/Urban_Loop_Presentation.pdf)? I remember a recreational path in San Jose, CA like this and I loved it.

I am not sure about the stretch along I-10.

http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/parks/urban_loop/the_loop_map_070611.jpg

Anqrew
Aug 3, 2011, 12:16 AM
Check out the new Wikipedia main image i put together through the wikipedia commons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson,_Arizona

And i think the loop is a great idea! who needs freeways! we'll have a bikeway system.

andrewsaturn
Aug 3, 2011, 12:45 AM
Uhhh, I dunno...meet people who actually want to see Tucson grow.

Totally, I would be up to meet. :)

andrewsaturn
Aug 3, 2011, 12:48 AM
Coming Soon to Downtown: Reilly Craft Pizza and Drink :banana:
Posted by Adam Borowitz on Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM

We just got off the phone with Tyler Fenton, the owner of the new Reilly Craft Pizza and Drink that’s going in at the old Reilly Funeral Home at 102 E. Pennington St.

Fenton, who was on his way out of town and didn’t have much time to talk, says the restaurant will be centered around artisan pizzas, but will also serve fresh-baked sandwiches and homemade pasta. It will also have a bar and lounge component.

Fenton says the interior design is being handled by the same firm that designed HUB Restaurant and Creamery and Downtown Kitchen + Cocktails. He also said there will be an emphasis on maintaining the historic feel of the building, which was built in 1908.

An opening date has not been set. We’ll have more after we meet with Fenton when he gets back into town.

andrewsaturn
Aug 3, 2011, 12:58 AM
Check out the new Wikipedia main image i put together through the wikipedia commons.

And i think the loop is a great idea! who needs freeways! we'll have a bikeway system.

Looks great! Even though I liked the previous one with the snow covered Catalina Mountains, it didn't make sense for a city that only gets snow for a couple of days out of the year. The new one is what Tucson really is about, a desert oasis with great weather most of the time year round.

andrewsaturn
Aug 3, 2011, 1:12 AM
Here is a link to Kold News webpage that shows some additional photos of the artwork that's being put up on the Plaza Centro garage. The photos were taken by Teya Vitu, the journalist that writes all the stories on Downtown Tucson Partnership website. There's also a small picture of him too just in case people were wondering what he looked like because I thought he was a woman journalist!

http://downtowntucson.kold.com/news/arts-culture/art-work-going-plaza-centro-garage/55510

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_medium.jpg

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_closeup.jpg

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_walker.jpg

Teacher_AZ_84
Aug 3, 2011, 2:32 AM

Great job! I like how Tucson wants to be bike friendly, but damn driving here is frustrating. Did you here about the road rage murder that happened yesterday? We cannot pretend that we are a small town. There needs to be an E-W road corridor without lights.

Teacher_AZ_84
Aug 3, 2011, 2:34 AM
Totally, I would be up to meet. :)

Any other Tucson forumers interested before I suggest times location etc?

Anqrew
Aug 3, 2011, 2:51 AM
Great job! I like how Tucson wants to be bike friendly, but damn driving here is frustrating. Did you here about the road rage murder that happened yesterday? We cannot pretend that we are a small town. There needs to be an E-W road corridor without lights.

agreed, i was so disappointed when the Grant Road plan had no grade separated intersections at all, even just one, i remember seeing a rendering of one from Grant/Campbell but i guess that got cancelled. it couldve been a great solution to the freeway problem, a quick way to get East/West without the effects of a giant freeway.

Ritarancher
Aug 3, 2011, 3:43 AM
I've heard of the trail and i think that the new kolb to rita section is open
here are some more links...hope this project is done before 2015.

http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/parks/urban_loop/index.htm
pima county website

http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/parks/urban_loop/urbanloopmap.htm
map. The city of Tucson website, the pima county website and there is one more website that provides accurate info about the trail.
If your too lazy to look at the links this is what the city/county hopes for the trail to do. Be a tourist attraction for bikers,raise home values, bring local money, burn less fossil fuels, help people exercise,provide clean air and over all give tucson the bike city name. I also heard that horses will be allowed on some parts of the trail. i dont know if it's true.

Ritarancher
Aug 3, 2011, 3:53 AM

driving here is bad. most cities even 200,000 people smaller than the tucson metro area (around 800,000 people) have massive amounts of freeways. Tucson unfortunately didn't plan for the future. I think that in the past, city leaders should have made kolb and grant a freeway. i also think that aviation highway should be avation freeway stretching from alvernon and i-10 to the speedway side of i-10. YES i know that the avation hwy is being extended to i-10 but the speed limit will be like 35mph. To prevent the mistake of not planning ahead the city leaders in the next 15 years should design a round freeway around tucson and the Catalinas and the Rincons and through corona de tucson, and sahuarita. and i also feel that in the next 15 years that a freeway (i-119 or i-110) should streatch from wilmot and i-10 to somewhere in sahuarita.

Ritarancher
Aug 3, 2011, 3:54 AM

Nice job, i think it makes tucson look more city-like

Ritarancher
Aug 3, 2011, 3:56 AM
Here is a link to Kold News webpage that shows some additional photos of the artwork that's being put up on the Plaza Centro garage. The photos were taken by Teya Vitu, the journalist that writes all the stories on Downtown Tucson Partnership website. There's also a small picture of him too just in case people were wondering what he looked like because I thought he was a woman journalist!

http://downtowntucson.kold.com/news/arts-culture/art-work-going-plaza-centro-garage/55510

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_medium.jpg

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_closeup.jpg

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/garage_art_walker.jpg

I like the art, in fact i like the whole design of the garage. simple changes like this will make our downtown look more modern with Tucson's mexican/american culture. I also hear that the building will have a vine on it.

I think tomorrow is Tucson's birthday, it's gonna be like 2 or 300 years old (i have to look at my trash can again it has the date it was founded)

phxSUNSfan
Aug 3, 2011, 4:19 AM
I like the art, in fact i like the whole design of the garage. simple changes like this will make our downtown look more modern with Tucson's mexican/american culture. I also hear that the building will have a vine on it.

I think tomorrow is Tucson's birthday, it's gonna be like 2 or 300 years old (i have to look at my trash can again it has the date it was founded)

Tucson settlement and mission building began in 1700. It was not a city or town then, but it began the process with the Spanish and Misión San Xavier del Bac.

andrewsaturn
Aug 4, 2011, 2:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9auIeskPyY

andrewsaturn
Aug 5, 2011, 4:58 AM
New UniSource HQ will be done by November
August 04, 2011 (3:12 pm) | Permanent Link

By Teya Vitu

The new UniSource Energy/Tucson Electric Power headquarters structure goes to prove that Downtown indeed can move very quickly to transform a city block.

Two years ago, the shuttered Santa Rita Hotel still stood on Broadway between Scott and Sixth avenues. Last fall, UniSource had a big hole on the site, and by February a nine-story structure stood there, already sheathed in glass.

UniSource promised a finished headquarters for 11/11/11 and so far the promises will hold true. Looks like TEP folks will claim new offices in early November already.

“We look to move the first employees in November,” company spokesman Joe Salkowski said. “We’re going to beat that date in terms of occupancy.”

UniSource has backed away from the 11/11/11 chant because that weekend has been designated for the large Arizona Centennial Best Fest slated for Nov. 11-13 filling much of Downtown west of Stone Avenue.

“If we do have a ribbon cutting, it won’t be on that date, simply to avoid a conflict,” Salkowski said.

Erecting the 180-foot structure has been a best case scenario so far.

“It’s really been a smooth process,” he said. “The Ryan Companies have been working very well. We haven’t had any complications.”

The new UniSource HQ gives Downtown its tallest new building since 1986 - when the current UniSource Energy Tower was built. Naming rights are available for Tucson’s tallest building once the power company moves out.

UniSource/TEP will move its 85 Downtown employees to the new HQ as well as about 340 employees from its Irvington Campus to give TEP at least 425 employees Downtown.

“It will be a significant influx of TEP employees,” Salkowski said.

These will include people from the service center, the operations headquarters and the training center.

The HQ will also have a 500-space garage to contain all its employees’ vehicles.

The big question remains street-level retail. That could redefine Broadway more than anything else. To this day, Broadway remains exceptionally bleak in terms of shopping for Downtown’s largest street.

UniSource had pledged street-level retail from the outset. The company initially offered 8,700 square feet along Broadway. But that was extended down Sixth Avenue to bookend retail across from DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails and Etherton Gallery.

But nothing has been decided for the 11,000 square feet of commercial space.

“We have not determined an occupant,” Salkowski said. “The retail space won’t be occupied when the employees move in. We’re in discussions about the space. We haven’t settled on anything. It could be one or two tenants or as many as four. Beyond that, there aren’t any final decisions.”

Right now, everybody is jockeying for space in the 170,000-square-foot structure.

“We are programming the space, who from each department will sit where,” Salkowski said.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3401

andrewsaturn
Aug 9, 2011, 7:19 AM
Reilly Craft Pizza set to go across from Poca Cosa
August 08, 2011 (9:41 am) | Permanent Link

By Teya Vitu

Tyler Fenton literally had to wait to grow up to move ahead with Reilly Craft Pizza & Drink, slated for the long-closed and long-empty Reilly Funeral Home building at 101 E. Pennington Street.

Ever since his father, Steve Fenton, bought the building at auction in 2007, Tyler had firm visions of an artisan pizza establishment in that 1908 (maybe 1906) structure with exposed brick interior walls, original wood flooring and 14-foot ceilings.

Only problem? He was only 17 back then.

“I was too young to do something at the time,” Tyler Fenton said. “Now the timing is perfect. I wanted to do it since I learned about the building.”

Now Fenton is 21 - just old enough for the “& Drink” in the establishment name - and, lo and behold, Downtown has undergone quite the renaissance in just the years he reached his majority.

Concurrently, Steve “didn’t find the right mix” in the past four years even though he showed the Reilly building to multiple restaurateurs, all with Tyler waiting and hoping on the sidelines.

“I kept my fingers crossed that they would be come and gone,” Tyler acknowledged. “It’s really a sheer coincidence that (his father is) the landlord. It’s the last great space Downtown.”

Like father, like son, Tyler Fenton follows Steve Fenton’s interview style of keeping his cards close to his chest. The City Council has a Sept. 13 liquor license public hearing scheduled for Reilly Craft Pizza & Drink, but Tyler’s not talking opening date or even when construction work or façade improvement work will become evident.

“Hopefully, in the near, near, near future some action is starting there,” Fenton said. “I’m not sure (about what color the building will be painted). We’ve been so focused on the inside. We’re not setting a date yet. I don’t want to jinx it.”

Fenton is more forthcoming when talking about the pizza and interior design.

“We put ‘Craft’ in our name because we wanted to differentiate ourselves,” Fenton said. “We are not a slice kind of place. Our pizza is made with dough that goes into artisan bread. We have very high-quality ingredients. I wanted to do it in a better way than most people know.”

Fenton bypasses the New York vs. Chicago pizza debate, looking more to the northwest.

“Our pizza probably is most similar to a place in Seattle called Serious Pie,” he said, adding that San Francisco influences could be in play and maybe a touch of New York.

Fenton is shooting for upscale casual within a contemporary modern space built around the original brick walls and wood flooring.

“If you went in, you wouldn’t necessarily think you were going into a pizzeria,” Fenton said. “The building is phenomenal inside. To take away any of that character is a sin.”

Fenton is keeping the Reilly name of the former Reilly Funeral Home, which apparently filled the building from the beginning until shutting down in 1990 - “the year I was born,” Fenton noted. He’s well aware but in no way distracted by the jibber-jabber about putting a restaurant into a former funeral home.

“If you went in there not knowing what it was, you would have no idea it was a funeral home,” he said.

Fenton recruited the go-to design team these days for Downtown restaurants. Miguel Fuentevilla and Sonya Sotinsky, the principles in Tucson’s FORS Architecture+Interiors, will give their interior touches to Reilly Pizza as they have applied their “storytelling” to the interiors of DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Drink, HUB Restaurant and Ice Creamery and Borderlands Brewery. They are now designing a new bar slated for Congress and Fifth Avenue, and a restaurant going into 50 E. Broadway between Providence Service Corp. and the recently revived 44 E. Broadway, now home to the Sonoran Institute.

“We try to take every restaurant and build a unique story around their location,” said Fuentevilla, both an architect and an interior designer, as is his wife, Sotinsky. “It’s all about storytelling. We are working with this really, really, really distinct building. We will have a design that is a mix of keeping the historic nature and bringing in a new layer.”

Tyler is the owner/chef of Reilly Pizza, his brother Zach is handling the finances, and his father Steve is the landlord, as he is of the Solar Culture and Arches warehouses and The Academy Lofts.

The Reilly Funeral Home building came into Steve Fenton’s life in July 2007 in an extraordinary confirmation hearing at an estate sale after 11 years of no action from family members.

The day started with a $220,000 offer from developer Warren Michaels. Nearly always that ends the hearing.

The Reilly “auction” ended up drawing the second largest field of bidders that Emery Barker, who represented the Reilly estate, had seen in his 40 years as an attorney. Twelve registered bidders showed up and bids of $450,000 and $465,000 led up to Steve Fenton’s winning bid of $470,000.

Steve Fenton that day said nothing about his plans, and in the years since has said little more than “restaurant” and not finding the right tenant. When asked about leaving the building in the family, he said, “talk to Tyler about that.”

Tyler Fenton is happening upon a very curious maturing of a dense concentration of restaurants at an off-kilter intersection of two tiny streets, Pennington Street and Scott Avenue.

Reilly Pizza may just give the critical mass to create Downtown’s, may even all of Tucson’s, most tightly packed set of dining popular options with Café Poca Cosa, 47 Scott, Alejandro’s, Café 54, and perhaps the finishing touch with whatever fills the recently vacated Dizzy G’s.

It could just be worth a name of some sort, maybe even a lighted display, maybe something over the intersection. It’s a dining haven with a built-in garage: The Pennington Street Garage.

“We’re building our own culinary center,” Tyler Fenton said. “I actually love being off Congress. I think the garage is a major selling point for our culinary center.”

andrewsaturn
Aug 9, 2011, 6:33 PM
New UA Halls Prep for Community Building, New Traditions
by La Monica Everett-Haynes

Welcoming more than 1,000 new students this month, the UA's two new residence halls will keep a keen focus on community-building, academic performance and sustainability.

Areas throughout Árbol de la Vida and Likins Hall have the feel of air – wide, open spaces, tall ceilings, sizable courtyards and expansive views of the University of Arizona and Tucson region.

Yet the architectural aesthetics and philosophy embedded in the halls – the newest on campus – are strongly grounded in promoting collaboration and strong bonds.

With the two community directors and their resident assistants preparing to welcome more than 1,000 students in less than three weeks, the emphasis now is on academic support, community building and sustainability.

"We know that students want to get involved and have pride for this building," said Rosanna Curti, the Residence Life community director for Likins Hall. Likins Hall, named in honor of UA President Emeritus Peter Likins, will house 369 students.

"It's about making this a place where you live; making it your home," Curti said, "not just a place where you just live."

That emphasis is embodied in the artful design elements, smart sustainability and orientation of each hall.

At both halls – which will be dedicated next month – community living and collaborative learning spaces include several rooms for meeting, studying, socializing, exercising and hosting events.

Each pair of student rooms is set back slightly to create a "porch-like" effect and the feeling of having a close neighbor.

At Árbol de la Vida, which means "Tree of Life" in Spanish, a spectacular two-story study bridge features etched glass panels while several large windows provide natural light throughout the buildings.

At the main entrance, etched glass panels depict several beautiful flowing trees comprised of poetry. On the southwest corner, a two-story perforated copper screen radiates with an image of a slot canyon.

"Our residents will enjoy a comfortable yet clearly 21st century environment," said Christopher Anderson, senior community director for Árbol de la Vida, which will house 719 UA Honors College students.

"It was really designed with the students in mind and with figuring out how we can take design and programming to help students to be more successful," Anderson added.

Glass-enclosed great rooms and other spaces contain grand pianos while study rooms interspersed on corridors with student rooms facilitate academic success. Other lounges and gathering locations encourage students to socialize.

Also, sustainable features are abound: south-facing awnings, large windows fit for ventilation, roof-mounted solar panels, "smart" thermostats and "green" outlets are among them. Also, nearly 80 percent of the building materials came from recycled materials.

"There is a major focus on sustainability at all our halls," Curti said, "but these two new halls were specifically designed with sustainability in mind."

And included in both halls are a range of collaborative learning tools meant to stimulate learning and teamwork.

What remains will come with time – intentional programming and practices around sustainability, academic and social issues of importance and interest to students living in the respective halls.

"Students want to have a say in what is happening, and they want to be part of something," Curti said, adding that students will be asked to help plan and coordinate events.

For example, instead of purchasing materials for cookouts, student residents will be asked to bring their own plates and utensils. Another idea is to host a clothing drive allowing students to swap or repurpose items they had planned to toss out.

"We want them to be validated. This is not like a hotel with all sorts of amenities," Curti said. "This is your college experience, and it is your home now. That is why this is so important."

Such an effort is in direct contrast to the misperception that residence halls served the mere purpose of housing students.

Incidentally, new Árbol de la Vida residence have initiated a Facebook page and have planned the hall's first student-driven event – a s'mores party to be held this month.

"It's the first Friday – at night – after classes start. It's entirely student-initiated and student-driven," Anderson said, adding that more than 150 students have already registered to attend. "To me, that's awesome and exciting."

He takes it as a strong sign of the community building to come.

Anderson also said he and his resident assistants intend to host two to three events each week.

The group also plans to launch "Wildcat Challenge." The program will encourage students to challenge themselves to participate in activities meant to enhance their academic performance – whether it be visiting a faculty member's office hours, putting all of their assignments in their calendar or meeting periodically with an adviser.

"That helps to develop a global perspective about what college means," Anderson said. "Instead of just thinking about what happens this week or over the weekend, you begin to think about what college means over years."

http://uanews.org/node/39414

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/6147_12e46ddec29b22e.lg_horiz.jpg
The UA's newest residence halls, Árbol de la Vida and Likins Hall, are situated half a mile from one another on East Sixth Street. Both are placing a heavy emphasis on academic success, community building, collaborative learning and sustainable living. (Photo by Patrick McArdle/UANews)

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/6194_5bfd361cbbd3f96.lg_horiz.jpg
Both halls have expansive views of campus and the Tucson region. Also, both are landscaped with native vegetation. Meeting spaces and study rooms are decorated with vibrant colors and, at times, works of art, much of it produced by local artists. (Photo by Patrick McArdle/UANews)

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/4429scr_0f03adb0485e1c6.lg_vert.jpg
"The variety of colors, textures and materials provide a more residential scale building, as well as maintainability and durability to serve student residents for many years to come,"said Melissa Dryden, senior program coordinator for UA's Planning, Design and Construction. (Photo by Patrick McArdle/UANews)

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/4504scr_e7f736cc5efd3e9.lg_vert.jpg
Likins Hall is comprised of five interconnected halls that ascend four to six stories. The bold, urban architecture anchors the southwest corner of campus. Walkways and bridges connect the halls at different levels while on the inside, wide meandering corridors feature student rooms, study rooms and culminate at comfortable gathering places. (Photo by Patrick McArdle/UANews)

http://uanews.org/system/files/images/6184_ab5199f6e4f8ea7.lg_horiz.jpg
"In addition to colored stucco, traditional UA brick features prominently as a building material, which responds to the campus and adjacent residence halls. Metal panels of different colors and textures have also been incorporated, as well as board formed concrete," said Melissa Dryden, senior program coordinator for UA's Planning, Design and Construction. (Photo by Patrick McArdle/UANews)

andrewsaturn
Aug 9, 2011, 6:37 PM
Restaurant coming to Mercado San Agustin in fall
August 09, 2011 (10:20 am) | Permanent Link

By Teya Vitu

Pick a season at Mercado San Agustin and there’s something new.

It started last winter with the very long awaited opening of the Market Hall.

This summer saw the Santa Cruz River Farmer’s Market move into the Mercado’s courtyard.

Some time this fall the big restaurant fronting Congress Street is finally expected to open. It doesn’t have a name yet but Glen Stosius, a partner in the Mercado’s new Restaurant Group, is hinting a Mediterranean theme (Café Argentino is out of the picture).

An adjoining mezzanine bar, also unnamed at this point, should follow in winter. And a corner market at, you guessed it, the northeast corner, and also, you guessed it, without a name yet, should be ready for shoppers in spring 2012 (Time Market’s Peter Wilke is out of the picture now, too).

“This northern part will be a real anchor for the Mercado,” said Stosius, also the Mercado’s director of operations since the end of June.

The Mercado San Agustin has been evolving in fits and starts over the past three years. There have been three holiday bazaars on property during various stages of construction, the courtyard has been open for events since mid-2009, and the Market Hall opened last December, two years later than originally expected. But the Market only occupies the southwest quadrant, leaving the Mercado as a whole still a work in progress.

“It’s the last turn, if you will, into the home stretch to anchor the west end of Congress Street,” Stosius said.

The Mercado San Agustin will have something open from 7 a.m. to midnight.

First up will be the restaurant some time in fall.

“It’s a simple Mediterranean grill, if you will,” Stosius said. “It’s just a regional restaurant, very seafood focused. We have this beautiful grill we’ll be utilizing. We will have whole fishes.”

The beautiful grill Stosius is talking about is a custom built wood-burning parilla.

The restaurant will seat about 148 and there will be courtyard seating. It will have wooden tables, abundant booths and restaurant bar seating.

The restaurant will have an opening into the mezzanine bar, which, as the name indicates, will have an upper level overlooking the lower level. The ambience will be dark wood, leather, a “more kind of men’s clubby” feel. Food from the restaurant and corner market will be available at the mezzanine bar.

The other side of the mezzanine bar will open upon the corner market.

“It’s a lot more of a traditional market with newer elements,” Stosius said. “We’ll have beer, wine, essential dry goods, as much local produce as we can, grab & go sandwiches and specialty coffee. We’ll have a wood-burning pizza oven and seven-day breakfast, as well. It’s going to be a neighborhood-oriented market. It’s mainly prepared food items.”

The corner will also feature food produced at the Mercado’s commercial kitchen, including items from Market Hall tenants.

“That’s what will make us different from any other markets,” he said.

The Mercado San Agustin is the dream of Adam Weinstein and Kira Dixon-Weinstein and an extension of the adjoining Mercado District of Menlo Park, the brainchild of her brother, Justin Dixon, all of it falling under their father, Jerry Dixon.

Stosius is very new to the team, just in the past couple months. He spent the past eight years as general manager at Ra Sushi, which he opened at La Encantada when the upsale shopping center opened. He has also run restaurants in New York, Miami and Los Angeles.

Mutual friends brought the Weinsteins and Stosius together.

“We started talking,” Stosius said. “It just started to evolve. I just like their business philosophy. They have an amazing sense of pride in materials and their efforts for the community, We have the same aesthetics. Their philosophy is sustainability.”

Stosius is taking the reins as the Mercado San Agustin evolves from it simple daytime hours now.

“It’s an overall experience, morning turns to noon, turns to evening,” he said. “We are trying to play on all the variable of the day. You can shop, you can eat, you can drink.”

In fall, in winter and in spring.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/news/?p=3415

Thirsty
Aug 10, 2011, 4:05 AM
The architecture, while much improved, is reminiscent of the "prison with bricks" college architecture of the 70-90's.

No amount of "communicative spaces" will counter the university's academic problems.

Thirsty
Aug 11, 2011, 1:22 AM
Didn't mean to be negative about the university. Its a great place to go to school, but it is not without serious issues in undergrad education. Architecture should be somewhere between item Q and item Z on a list of ways to correct the problem.

Sorry, back on topic:

Other than the two dorms and the Architecture classes, what is the word on UA's future plans in downtown?

Ritarancher
Aug 11, 2011, 3:29 AM
Didn't mean to be negative about the university. Its a great place to go to school, but it is not without serious issues in undergrad education. Architecture should be somewhere between item Q and item Z on a list of ways to correct the problem.

Sorry, back on topic:

Other than the two dorms and the Architecture classes, what is the word on UA's future plans in downtown?

I heard that the u of a wants to put an nfl stadium in downtown? idk heres a question and answers link for the director of the U of A
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/sports/q-a-greg-byrne-1.2540775

Anqrew
Aug 13, 2011, 6:02 AM
From the owners of HUB's facebook (Kadence Restaurant Group)

"Our new club, PLAYGROUND will open in late 2011! Stay tuned for all the details!

It will be a club, bar, lounge, roof deck, and cinema garden kinda of spot."

sounds cool, not sure where it will be but im guessing next door to HUB.

azliam
Aug 15, 2011, 7:26 AM
I heard that the u of a wants to put an nfl stadium in downtown? idk heres a question and answers link for the director of the U of A
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/sports/q-a-greg-byrne-1.2540775

I'm sure you didn't mean NFL...

andrewsaturn
Aug 22, 2011, 9:41 PM
HUB Restaurant owner now has eye on Playground nightclub

Submitted by Teya Vitu, Downtown Tucson Partnership writer
Monday, August 22nd, 2011, 12:07pm

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/kade_inside1.jpg

Kade Mislinski’s mind races a mile a minute, always updating his visions for HUB Restaurant & Ice Creamery, updating his board inscribed with future business concepts, and evolving his latest proposed update to the Downtown landscape.

Interviewing Mislinksi doesn’t really have to involve questions. He routinely launches into a spoken stream of thought, on this occasion, about his planned nightclub for the corner of Congress and Fifth Avenue. The other thing you quickly learn about Mislinski is he’s a sucker for a touch of whimsy.

Take, for example, the nightclub taking shape in his mind. He’s calling it Playground.

“There’s a brand of fun that Downtown is going to achieve,” he said. “It’s in the name. Play with your friends at the Playground. We learned to be adults on the playground. It’s your first kiss, your first black eye. There’s a lot of human development on the playground.”

Expect to find swings as wall décor, tetherball poles out back, a kissing tunnel on the back patio, and the whimsical Mislinski is tempted to have hopscotch squares on the way to the restroom.

“Recess will be happy hour from 4 to 8,” he said.

Playground may be ready for recess toward the end of the year.

Playground is slated for part of the space where there were initial talks two years back for an An Congress sports bar, but that never got beyond initial talks and K.C. An ended up at Casino Del Sol.

Six weeks back, toward the end of June, building owner Scott Stiteler stopped by HUB, where he’s also landlord, on his monthly visit to Tucson from his San Francisco base.

“He just came in one day and asked ‘what would you do in there?’” Mislinski recalled. “Obviously, I have 10 concepts in my head. There’s a dumpling bar I want to do. There’s a Mediterranean place I want to do. They are on my board. I said ‘hey, I want to do a nightclub.’ I started to work with Miguel again.”

That would be Miguel Fuentevilla and Sonya Sotinsky, the husband-and-wife team behind FORS Architecture+Interiors. They designed the interiors for Mislinski’s HUB, were signed on for the aborted An Congress, applied their design storytelling to Janos Wilder’s DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Drink, and are right now busy with Reilly Craft Pizza & Drink, Borderlands Brewery and a restaurant going into 50 E. Broadway between Providence Service Corp. and the recently revived 44 E. Broadway, now home to the Sonoran Institute.

Mislinski envisions four bar settings for Playground, 278 E. Congress.

The Corner Bar will be downstairs. Two notable features will be video pixilated wall that “can be two, four, 12 or 24 TVs,” and the bar can be opened fully to the sidewalk.

“I’m thinking of having indoor ivy,” he said. “Everything I do is urban modern.”

Out back, he will have a Cinema Garden with movies projected on a wall. Depending on the mood, the projections may just be silent visual relief, or you could watch a movie or a University of Arizona basketball game or a soccer match.

A third bar will go on the roof. It’s the same space that served as “The Cotton Club” for “The Great Prohibition Exposition, a Bootlegger Off Broadway” put on by the Centurions.

“I want to put trees up here and have a park feel,” Mislinski said.

Keep in mind, Playground is still in the planning stages. Inside, it’s literally a sand box, stripped down to the earth floor, and bare beams and brick walls. That means ideas are still evolving in Mislinski’s mind. He hasn’t named his rooftop bar yet.

“It’s just the roof deck right now. Treehouse is where it’s heading,” he said.

There’s a fourth bar, on an upper lever, but Mislinski is keeping his thoughts under wraps for this area.

“Playgrounds are a state of mind,” he said. “It’s about having fun. It was my first breakup, my first kiss, my first chase. There’s something that happens on the playground. I want to recreate that.

“Some say it’s too juvenile. That’s the whole (bleeping) point. There’s no bullying allowed in our place. There’s going to be rules, fun rules. I’m going for the 25-to-45-year-old women. I want to have a place where single women feel comfortable.”

Mislinski opened HUB on Feb. 12. At that time, he had no eyes on the four gutted storefronts to his east. Even two months ago, his mind was not on the playground, so to speak.

“This whole thing is about six weeks old,” Mislinski said. The Playground name is maybe a couple weeks old.

HUB Restaurant & Ice Creamery is Mislinski’s vision of beer + cow + ice cream. Mislinski knows his way around the restaurant world, having worked in the Sam Fox restaurant empire from 2000 to 2009 and he put in a year and a half as general manager at Time Market before striking out on his own.

That should give some context when Mislinski insists HUB leans toward diner + beer + ice cream,

“People think I’m a high-end restaurant. I’m not high-end,” he insisted. “People tell me I can’t do beer and ice cream. (Other) people are thanking us for having the balls to do something like this. If I have haters already, that validates it for me.”

Even Mislinski is surprised at how well the ice cream is going over. He makes his own ice cream, about 60 flavors, and 24 flavors are available on any given day.

“The ice cream was going to be a loss leader,” he said. “ If anything, it has the biggest word of mouth. We beat our best day by 80 percent just on ice cream at the last 2nd Saturdays.”

Mislinski said the first few months at HUB were a bit skittish, but the place has been packed during July and August, and he has already beat his projections for the year.

HUB keeps him busy enough, but Mislinski’s entrepreneurial mind hums 24/7. Available space next door could not be ignored, especially if the owner opens the discussion.

“If I don’t take this opportunity….”

http://media.dtsph.com/sites/kold.com/files/imagecache/story615/kade_rooftop1.jpg

http://downtowntucson.kold.com/news/business/58095-hub-restaurant-owner-now-has-eye-playground-nightclub

Mattic505
Aug 23, 2011, 7:35 PM
From www.KVOA.com

http://www.kvoa.com/images/thumbnails/33300278657C9D64CA66BC546BF1D23E_292_292.jpg

TUCSON - This Thursday, you can get a sneak peek of some of the public art that will be featured at stops and facilities for the Modern Streetcar Project.

The Tucson Pima Arts Council and the Modern Streetcar Project is inviting the public to an open house from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on August 25 at The Riverpark Inn, 350 S. Freeway, according to a release from the City of Tucson.

Attendees will get to meet the 14 artists producing art for the project, view public art for the stops and facilities, learn more about the public art process and understand the art in proper context along the streetcar route.

The Tucson Modern Streetcar will be a 3.9 mile fixed-rail transit system connection the Arizona Health Sciences Center, the University of Arizona, Main Gate Square, 4th Avenue, Downtown Tucson and the Mercado District development area, according to project leaders.

For more information on the Modern Streetcar Project, visit:

www.tucsonstreetcar.com or call (520) 624-5656.

Mattic505
Aug 23, 2011, 7:47 PM
http://www.kvoa.com/news/launch-the-loop-on-oct-22nd/

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 9:23 AM

TUCSON - The pedestrian and bike paths through the Santa Cruz and Rillito river parks will be connected on Saturday, Oct. 22nd.

The 23-mile path from West Silverlake Road to North Craycroft Road is the longest completed, continuous segment of "The Loop", which is 55 miles of car-free paths being developed around Tucson (with links to Marana and Oro Valley) for Pima County residents and visitors to enjoy on foot, bikes, skates, and horses.

Walk, ride, run or skate to the dedication site on West Sunset Road, west of Interstate 10, for a ceremony and celebration beginning at 10 a.m. on Oct. 22nd.

To get free T-shirts, water bottles, backpacks and safety gear while supplies last, you need to register between 7:30 and 9:30 a.m. at one of the locations listed below before heading to the dedication site:

· Flowing Wells District Park-5510 N. Shannon Road
· Christopher Columbus Park-4600 N. Silverbell Road
· Wheeler Taft Abbett Sr. Library-7800 N. Schisler Drive in Marana

The Northwest YWCA at 7770 N. Shannon Road is planning a pre-launch- "The Loop" bike safety rodeo on Oct. 8th.

Check:
www.pima.gov for updates.

Event partners include Pima County, the City of Tucson, the Town of Marana, the Town of Oro Valley and the Northwest YMCA.
:tup:

kaneui
Sep 2, 2011, 2:07 AM
After countless delays, it appears that the modern streetcar is finally on a firm construction schedule, headed for an October, 2013 opening. Designed around the theme of "Flow," eight of the 17 stops along the 3.9-mile route will be unique signature stops designed by various local artists, while the remaining nine stops will feature scrolling LED poetry provided by the UofA. Construction of the actual line will begin before year-end and be completed by March, 2013.

For the latest updates and details on the artwork: http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/PublicArt.htm

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/streetcarprototypestop.jpg
Prototype streetcar stop
http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/documents/StopDesignandSchedule.pdf

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/streetcarstoprender-SWinkle.jpg
Conceptual model of University Blvd. and 3rd Ave. streetcar stop, provided by Susan Wink
http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/PublicArt.htm

azliam
Sep 2, 2011, 2:23 AM
After countless delays, it appears that the modern streetcar is finally on a firm construction schedule, headed for an October, 2013 opening. Designed around the theme of "Flow," eight of the 17 stops along the 3.9-mile route will be unique signature stops designed by various local artists, while the remaining nine stops will feature scrolling LED poetry provided by the UofA. Construction of the actual line will begin before year-end and be completed by March, 2013.

For the latest updates and details on the artwork: http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/PublicArt.htm

Prototype streetcar stop

Conceptual model of University Blvd. and 3rd Ave. streetcar stop, provided by Susan Wink

Scrolling LED poetry provided by the UofA? While it sounds unique, it also sounds rather stupid (IMO). How about news or current events happening around the world?

Butta
Sep 3, 2011, 10:55 PM

Prototype streetcar stop

That first rendering of the stop looks very functional, while the second rendering looks cool, it's pretty useless considering the sweltering heat in the desert, NO SHADE!

Ritarancher
Sep 4, 2011, 5:15 PM
That first rendering of the stop looks very functional, while the second rendering looks cool, it's pretty useless considering the sweltering heat in the desert, NO SHADE!

Butta :previous: yea i agree with you about the second one you have to put a vine on it or something. But not a kudzu plant those are bad

:previous: azliam: I agree with the poetry. Headlines and the current temperature are better.

Teacher_AZ_84
Sep 4, 2011, 8:33 PM
That second rendering of the train station is butt ugly and not conducive to AZ climate. When will these people learn?!?!

Leo the Dog
Sep 5, 2011, 3:09 PM
The Tucson Streetcar, while short, looks like its gonna hit the major areas in Central Tucson. I bet the rider-ship numbers are going to exceed the predictions.

andrewsaturn
Sep 5, 2011, 8:36 PM
http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/PlazaCentro-Interior-DMD.jpg

There is an open and free dedication on Thursday Sept. 8 2011 at 8:30am on the third floor, if anyone is interested on going.

"The second phase of the project will include 20,000 square feet of retail, 8,000 square feet of office space and three stories of residential development on top of the parking structure. It is scheduled to be complete in 2013."

Also just in time for the streetcar to run in the fall of 2013.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_6ba1bbae-68bb-509b-a55e-5f401b30b780.html

AJphx
Sep 6, 2011, 4:55 AM
That second rendering of the train station is butt ugly and not conducive to AZ climate. When will these people learn?!?!
I think the steampunk-esque gears and clocks are really amazing looking. But certainly it doesn't provide adequate shade. If they could design it with the gears and adequate roof coverage I think it would be very nice.

AJphx
Sep 6, 2011, 5:48 AM
Also, I was wondering if the University of Arizona is currently building an solar power panels on buildings on its campus? ASU has put panels on the roofs of quite a number of its parking garages and buildings alread. I would think the UofA would want to do the same, but I can't find anything about it if they are by searchin.

Anqrew
Sep 6, 2011, 7:29 PM
Also, I was wondering if the University of Arizona is currently building an solar power panels on buildings on its campus? ASU has put panels on the roofs of quite a number of its parking garages and buildings alread. I would think the UofA would want to do the same, but I can't find anything about it if they are by searchin.

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/Sustainability/2ndStreetGarage/

Mattic505
Sep 9, 2011, 4:51 PM
By Glenn McCreedy

The University of Arizona will celebrate the opening of UA Downtown in the historic Roy Place Building, located at the northwest corner of Stone Avenue and Pennington Street in Tucson. The Open House will be on Saturday, Sept. 10, from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Place Building. The event will include music, hors d’oeuvres and exhibits. UA faculty, staff and students will be on hand to demonstrate their work and talk about current and upcoming UA Downtown programs, events and activities.

Wilbur T. and Wilma T. Wildcat will bring the UA spirit to the event. And the Steel Drum Band will play across the street on Jácome Plaza.

The Open House coincides with September’s 2nd Saturdays Downtown, Tucson’s monthly arts and entertainment event series. Students from the UA College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (CALA) along with artist and instructor Bill Mackey of Worker, Inc., will present “Food, Paper, and Alcohol: an Exhibit on Downtown Tucson.” The interactive exhibit takes the initial step of looking at downtown Tucson and its relation to the local area, region, nation and globe through the lens of a few select raw materials of the urban fabric – food, paper and alcohol.

“The exhibit is about our community and a call for us to refer to our daily practice as a complicated set of relationships between sites, economies, legislation, politics, and cultural processes,” said Mackey. Initial CALA academic programs at UA Downtown will include an interdisciplinary Urban Design Studio (Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Planning)and the Drachman Institute, CALA’s outreach arm. Other programs, like Sustainable Real Estate Development and the interdisciplinary Sustainable City Project, will follow.

The UA College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) plans to operate several programs downtown as well, including the Master of Public Administration from the School of Government and Public Policy and the Master’s in Development Practice in the School of Geography and Development, which will bring students from around the world. The Master of Geographic Information Systems Technology (GIST) will be connected to UA Downtown through outreach research projects.

SBS Dean John Paul Jones III said there also are plans to move the college’s internship programs downtown. “We hope students and employers will both begin to use the downtown space as a place to meet and match up with one another,” said Jones. “Certainly we want our interns to be a part of the professional life of downtown Tucson.” The UA Downtown building itself will feature linkages and access to the University Libraries and a new retail store operated by the UA BookStores.

The UA, in collaboration with Pima County, plans to develop the Roy Place Building – home to a former Walgreens and Montgomery Ward – as a center for research, outreach and teaching.

UA Downtown will be an urban laboratory for advanced research in sustainable urban design, planning and policy. Roy Place will serve as UA Downtown’s home under a five-year lease from Pima County, with options for an additional five-year period. The UA and Pima County will collaborate on the operation and maintenance of this historic building to assure that it is well maintained and preserved.

The UA College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture initiated and largely drove the process of exploring ways to establish the University’s presence in Downtown Tucson and was key in forming the partnership between the UA and Pima County. That process resulted in the agreement for the use of Roy Place and the UA’s planned programs and activities downtown. “We’re creating a ‘communiversity’ in downtown Tucson to assist in urban revitalization via academic programs, faculty, staff and students,” CALA Dean Jan Cervelli said. “In partnership with county, city and other public and non-governmental agencies, the University of Arizona will serve as an incubator for talent, as a leader for addressing environmental and social needs and as a catalyst for a vibrant economy and culture in Downtown Tucson and the southern Arizona region.”

UA Downtown will serve as an interface between college and community, a “nerve center” where UA faculty members and students can connect with city officials and staff, community leaders and project developers for dialogue, vision, analysis and development of sustainable scenarios for the future. UA Downtown also will serve as a forum where academic, civic, cultural and business leaders will meet to discuss and debate multiple sustainability scenarios for the future of Tucson and Southern Arizona.

UA Downtown will partner with the county and city on the development of solutions to important urban design and land-use issues facing the Southern Arizona region. UA Downtown also will sponsor a series of exhibits, lectures and discussion sessions on issues related to sustainable urban development. UA Downtown is dedicated to furthering the broad-based inquiry into the complex environmental challenges of 21st century urbanism and devising progressive solutions to these challenges.

The Roy Place Building is named after one of Tucson’s most influential architects of the early 20th century. Built in 1929 as a Montgomery Ward department store, the building also housed Place’s architectural office where he designed several Tucson landmarks, including the iconic Pima County Courthouse. From 1919 to 1940 Place also designed more than 20 campus buildings – many on the National Register of Historic Places – including the Arizona State Museum, Centennial Hall and Steward Observatory. Said R. Brooks Jeffery, director of the UA Drachman Institute: “It is appropriate then that the building in which the University of Arizona will focus its downtown community outreach efforts was designed by and will be named for the campus’s most significant architect.”

Original article at the new and improved www.downtowntucson.org
http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/09/ua-celebrates-its-downtown-arrival-with-an-open-house/

kaneui
Sep 10, 2011, 9:25 AM
The recently opened Centro garage (a.k.a. Plaza Centro) is certainly a creative attempt to incorporate artistic elements into a parking structure within a mixed-use project. The metal mesh screens surrounding the art panels will eventually be covered in flowering vines from planters on the third floor (specifically, Yellow Orchid Vines and Tangerine Trumpet Creepers), creating the effect of the panels floating like medallions in a wall of green.

The ground floor will house 20k s.f. of retail and 8k s.f. of offices, with three additional floors of student housing to be built on top of the garage and scheduled for completion in late 2013, just as the modern streetcar begins service.

(NOTE: The latest maps of the modern streetcar show a new stop added in front of the Centro garage/mixed-use building, also serving the new 11-story student housing tower going in across the street next to the Rialto Theatre.)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentroRender4-1.jpg
render of completed Plaza Centro project (southwest corner)
(render: courtesy of Jim Campbell; http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/college/article_415ee9fe-883f-5bfd-931d-d470477274dd.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentrogarage9-1-11.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentroArt-Installation1.jpg
current view of Centro Garage (northwest corner); art panels surrounded by mesh screens to support climbing vines
(photos: City of Tucson, AIArchitects; http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=6639FB61-F36F-66D5-94CA8433F2B11010, http://aiarchitects.blogspot.com/)

sunbeach
Sep 10, 2011, 5:32 PM
Does anyone know what retail stores will be housed in Plaza Centro and the new TEP building? And any updates in the area around I-10 downtown development currently housing the Greyhound Bus terminal ? Are there any renderings of that development?

andrewsaturn
Sep 10, 2011, 7:01 PM
http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/Images/09-8902.jpg

from: http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/Project.aspx?Project=09-8902

I think this is the first time I'm seeing the renderings of the Arizona stadium project and I'm a little disappointed. I think they should of made the enclosure more higher, maybe as high as the section above the student section, but then again that would of been more money. What do you guys think?

andrewsaturn
Sep 10, 2011, 7:08 PM
The recently opened Centro garage (a.k.a. Plaza Centro) is certainly a creative attempt to incorporate artistic elements into a parking structure within a mixed-use project. The metal mesh screens surrounding the art panels will eventually be covered in flowering vines from planters on the third floor (specifically, Yellow Orchid Vines and Tangerine Trumpet Creepers), creating the effect of the panels floating like medallions in a wall of green.

The ground floor will house 20k s.f. of retail and 8k s.f. of offices, with three additional floors of student housing to be built on top of the garage and scheduled for completion in late 2013, just as the modern streetcar begins service.

(NOTE: The latest maps of the modern streetcar show a new stop added in front of the Centro garage/mixed-use building, also serving the new 11-story student housing tower going in across the street next to the Rialto Theatre.)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentroRender4-1.jpg
render of completed Plaza Centro project (southwest corner)
(render: courtesy of Jim Campbell; http://azstarnet.com/news/local/education/college/article_415ee9fe-883f-5bfd-931d-d470477274dd.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentrogarage9-1-11.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PlazaCentroArt-Installation1.jpg
current view of Centro Garage (northwest corner); art panels surrounded by mesh screens to support climbing vines
(photos: City of Tucson, AIArchitects; http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=6639FB61-F36F-66D5-94CA8433F2B11010, http://aiarchitects.blogspot.com/)

They already started to dig up that parking lot east of the Rialto but I think they won't start building until January 2012. Also, part of the project of the student housing is a proposed grocery store and it was said that it was going to be like a trader's joe. I wonder where they are going to put that? Ground level and then on top the student housing? Personally, I think they should put the store where they currently have those exhibits like that king tut one.

Thirsty
Sep 12, 2011, 3:43 AM
http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/Images/09-8902.jpg

from: http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/projects/Project.aspx?Project=09-8902

I think this is the first time I'm seeing the renderings of the Arizona stadium project and I'm a little disappointed. I think they should of made the enclosure more higher, maybe as high as the section above the student section, but then again that would of been more money. What do you guys think?

The height matches the south end zone. I think there was a desire to preserve the mountain views from the west side stands.

Thirsty
Sep 12, 2011, 10:56 PM
Scrolling LED poetry provided by the UofA? While it sounds unique, it also sounds rather stupid (IMO). How about news or current events happening around the world?

Brilliant!

I kept mum about the poetry thing because I'm clearly not the target audience, and I know the city/university have been trying to position themselves as the place to come for poetry.

I'm sure TDOT could get an nice annual check from CNN to run their news ticker. It would drive a lot of smart-phone web traffic to their web page. When I'm waiting on the train in Phoenix, I'm just killing time and would absolutely take advantage of a news ticker.

Thirsty
Sep 12, 2011, 11:31 PM

I definitely see how you are underwhelmed. After all it is basically a concrete version of what sits there now.

Its important to remember that this expansion isn't about seating, it is about the building. Moving football operations out the McKale, upgrading the circa 1930 locker rooms, etc.

Almost every school with an open end zone has built a similar facility over the past decade, and they all make you slap your forehead when you see them.
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/NY/NYHIQFQQYWYHOVU.20110419195510.jpg

The Arizona North end zone project does something very rare... it blends into the stadium. You wouldn't know it wasn't always there and that's why I like it.

Thirsty
Sep 12, 2011, 11:49 PM
Also, part of the project of the student housing is a proposed grocery store
Outstanding!

and it was said that it was going to be like a trader's joe.
Too bad our Arizona chain (Basha's) isn't in position to expand.

But a Trader Joe's isn't bad. 'Two Buck Chuck' and college girls in one location sounds promising! :D

I think they should put the store where they currently have those exhibits like that king tut one.

Did Tucson shoot the moon with those exhibits, or are more on the way? Aside from the Harry Potter exhibit, I can't think of any big draw exhibitions that are left to get.

kaneui
Sep 13, 2011, 3:49 AM
Did Tucson shoot the moon with those exhibits, or are more on the way? Aside from the Harry Potter exhibit, I can't think of any big draw exhibitions that are left to get.

The next Rialto Building exhibitions will be put on by the UA College of Science, apparently a long-term series beginning with an exhibition on the planetary sciences:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/08/23/science-moves-downtown

Also, that space was built out specifically for exhibitions, and will undoubtedly remain as such for awhile--their own website refers to it as Rialto Art and Antiquities (RAA):

http://www.raadtucson.com/index.html

kaneui
Sep 13, 2011, 4:50 AM

In addition to the benefits previously mentioned, the North end zone redo will complete the bowl seating configuration, connect the east and west grandstands, and provide an additional revenue stream with the added premium suites (the remodel will add approx. 5,000 more seats).

Yes, it might have been more ambitious, but considering the significant funding cuts from the state, UofA is lucky to have this project moving forward (although I believe a substantial portion of the $72M cost is being funded by private donations). Once the current football season is over, the demo will begin, with the new structural shell completed by next fall, leaving another year to finish the project by August, 2013.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/AZStadium-current.jpg
current north end view

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/AZStadium-Northendredo.jpg
render of remodeled north end
(photo, render: UofA; http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/files/projects/09-8902/CPAC%20Summary%20April%202011.pdf)

Ritarancher
Sep 14, 2011, 1:17 AM
I'm liking all of the new U of A stadium renderings :tup:.
Once Again I Must Say...
The City of Tucson has a real bad traffic problem, streets are becoming more and more congested with cars.
Roads that need expanding a lane or two
Houghton: All, city page- http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/projects/houghton-road
Wilmot- South of interstate 10-
Interstate 10- Kino to Houghton, always is congested at midnight, cant imagine rush hour!!
Broadway- All-
Campbell- South of I-10
Valencia- Houghton to I-19, Yup that is a long stretch of road
I-19--- Interstate 10 to somewhere in Green Valley
Kolb- All of parts of the road south of Camino Seco

Roads to be created
interstate 119- 3 lane city freeway from Rita Road and i-10 to i-19, just north of pima mine road(mapped it out and no houses or pecan trees will have to be destroyed). this road can help drivers from east tucson,sahuarita, green valley and mexico get across faster in the future city.

Pantano road- What needs to be made: Freeway interchange from i-10 ,which is about a mile from the kolb and rita road interchanges, (hopefully but not likely, freeway interchange with I-119) south to sahuarita road. 3 lanes on each side to prevent any extra expenses*

Kolb road- again a 3 lane to Sahuarita road south of i-10*

Rita Road: South of i-10 again,3 lane to sahuarita road.*

New roads also need to be created in the future, south of i-10, to help support the city grid plan. all should be a 3 lane to start
I understand that the city needs some $$ (and time)to build roads but it will be well spent!
* Kolb, Rita and Pantano roads would have an interstate 119 interchange

sunbeach
Sep 15, 2011, 12:49 PM
Rita Rancher, all those projects you are hoping to build won't happen until some massive infrastructure bill gets passed the U.S. Congress. We'll gonna have to wait for the Teapublicans to get kicked out from Congress and Obama's re-election (he will get re-elected). Don't count on the state of AZ to foot the bill they're too busy destroying this state.

AJphx
Sep 15, 2011, 3:06 PM
http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/Sustainability/2ndStreetGarage/
ah thank you. I didn't look under the sustainability section. Well hopefully UA soon can put solar panels on all of the parking garages. It just seems like the perfect place to put solar.

djtucson
Sep 16, 2011, 6:48 PM
The RTA plan includes:
Houghton - I-10 to Tanque Verde Road
Wilmot - Sahuarita Rd North (about 6 miles to connect to existing road)
Broadway - Euclid to Country Club and Camino Seco to Houghton on the East side
Valencia - Ajo Highway to Old Spanish Trail. (even longer than what you were hoping for)

of course a lot of this construction is spread over the 15 years left of the plan. Note that all 11 projects promised in the first five years have been initiated (and many completed.) In all there are over 420 RTA projects large and small done since the plan was passed in May of 2006.

Look for a ton of construction to be starting up soon. The RTA is putting the $150 million in bond funds they just raised right to work!

For more info: RTAMobility.com

Thirsty
Sep 17, 2011, 12:40 AM
Is it me, or has downtown development news slowed down significantly since early summer?

andrewsaturn
Sep 19, 2011, 7:36 AM
Is it me, or has downtown development news slowed down significantly since early summer?

Yes, I think it's at the point where most of the major projects downtown are already under construction or still in planning. TEP building is almost done, plaza centro phase 2 is beginning, and some ones that are still in planning are Ronstadt Transit Center and modern streetcar (which is actually at 100'/. design completion http://dot.tucsonaz.gov/projects/project.cfm?cip=6638D2BE-FBF1-E5C6-A82F29CBF9A9D531 ) but we won't see major construction along major streets until early next year (I think) because they're still working on the cushing street bridge that had begun a couple of months ago. I think the newest news was the new club called Playground on congress and streetscape transformation on Toole ave beginning on Oct. 22. http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/09/get-set-for-a-tree-makeover-on-toole-avenue/ Other than that, downtown news is pretty slow.

Mattic505
Sep 19, 2011, 11:36 PM
From DowntownTucson.org
http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/09/get-set-for-a-tree-makeover-on-toole-avenue/
Author: Unknown

Quick, head on over to Toole Avenue where the warehouses are, park your car, and walk the two blocks from Stone to Sixth Avenue.

Do it in the next month or so, do it with a camera or video camera to capture for eternal memory the bleak, even forbidding, streetscape that runs alongside the century-old warehouses.

This is the “before” visage, one that will be quickly forgotten after an ambitious one-day streetscape transformation slated for Oct. 22 in a hands-on public tree planting event starting at 8 a.m.

Community members will help plant the trees and then the partying starts and continues throughout the day and evening. It’s not just partying, but also a prime chance for the Warehouse Arts Management Organization to strongly promote the 25-year-old Warehouse Arts District, which still remains a mystery to many people.

“We have to tell our stories really well,” said Michael Keith, executive director of the Downtown Tucson Partnership.

Some of the warehouses – now all privately owned after 25 years of state ownership – have been dressed up colorfully. But walking the sidewalk is quite the gauntlet with changes in surface and levels, barely a trace of shade unless you’re under The Arches, and eerily dark at night.

That will all change on Oct. 22.

Like the Berlin Wall went up in a single day in August 1961, this two-block stretch of Toole Ave. is destined to be transformed into a pedestrian Art Walk on one day in October 2011.... :cheers: more at http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/09/get-set-for-a-tree-makeover-on-toole-avenue/

ComplotDesigner
Sep 26, 2011, 9:21 PM
Plaza Centro

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3200/img0179e.jpg

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9058/img0180xp.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2892/img0181aj.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4765/img0182tx.jpg

Between Plaza Centro & the Rialto Theatre

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/862/img0183ob.jpg

TEP Building

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/5830/img0184e.jpg

Ritarancher
Sep 27, 2011, 6:54 PM
Does anybody know what happened to Houghton Town Center? I've seriously been waiting YEARS for the center to come. I saw on the news a few years ago that The Home Depot was coming so WHERE IS IT! I saw that a walmart was coming, i'd prefer target but anyway WHERE IS IT! I saw that a eegees was coming,(mmmm eegees...) so WHERE IS IT!! gah the city can get me really mad sometimes. Diamond Ventures owns the land here is the link they give people. http://www.cbre.com/rrcc
This is a picture the link gives

http://www.cbre.com/NR/rdonlyres/50C92465-A7F0-46C2-AC42-A46697007B4D/605276/Aerialfeb09.pdf

More pictures i found
http://www.michaelkrotchie.com/pics/houghton_town_center.jpg

Diamond Ventures: http://www.diamondventures.com/commercial/properties/architectural.html

Ritarancher
Sep 27, 2011, 7:09 PM
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40712081
The worlds most amazing bridges.
Tucson could be on this list if city council could get along and approve rainbow bridge

Thirsty
Sep 28, 2011, 2:23 AM
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-40712081
The worlds most amazing bridges.
Tucson could be on this list if city council could get along and approve rainbow bridge

HaHaHa! Top 5 bridges worldwide? On par with the Millau Viaduct!?!? :haha:

The Rainbow Bridge would be iconic for sure, but we're looking at top 5 man-made arches in America, not bridges worldwide.

Lets be honest, while it will long be associated with Tucson in every skyline or flyover shot of the city; it will do about as much to "put Tucson on the map" as the Sunsphere did for Knoxville.

andrewsaturn
Sep 28, 2011, 7:41 AM
UA hopes to help bring people to downtown. A link to Arizona Public Media site below:

http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2011/9/27/1830-ua-hopes-to-humanize-downtown-tucson/

http://media.azpm.org/master/image/2011/9/27/spot/092711_Urban_Planning_617_347.jpg

andrewsaturn
Sep 28, 2011, 7:57 AM
I am not familiar with Miracle Mile and only been in that area once when I went bowling with some friends a few years ago but it definitely had a sketchy feeling. However, it is about to go under some changes and a bunch of art studios and a cafe/bar is being developed. Here is a link to KVOA.com to watch the video.

http://www.kvoa.com/videos/new-hope-for-miracle-mile/

sunbeach
Sep 28, 2011, 1:27 PM
HaHaHa! Top 5 bridges worldwide? On par with the Millau Viaduct!?!? :haha:

The Rainbow Bridge would be iconic for sure, but we're looking at top 5 man-made arches in America, not bridges worldwide.

Lets be honest, while it will long be associated with Tucson in every skyline or flyover shot of the city; it will do about as much to "put Tucson on the map" as the Sunsphere did for Knoxville.

So what's wrong with aiming for one of the top 5 in the world? Why stop aiming for just America? I'd bet you'd say the same thing with the Hoover Dam.

You sound like one of those long time resident of Tucson - keep Tucson small and ugly. :haha:

Thirsty
Sep 28, 2011, 11:19 PM
So what's wrong with aiming for one of the top 5 in the world? Why stop aiming for just America? I'd bet you'd say the same thing with the Hoover Dam.

You sound like one of those long time resident of Tucson - keep Tucson small and ugly. :haha:

Who said I'm against building the rainbow bridge?

I just think it's laughable that some die-hards think this will be a monumental game-changer for the city, and its perception around the world.

You think the city is ugly?

azliam
Sep 29, 2011, 12:10 AM

I just think it's laughable that some die-hards think this will be a monumental game-changer for the city, and its perception around the world.

Having lived in the city from 1992-2010, I think the city is both beautiful and ugly. Anything that moves the city towards progressing is good.

Ritarancher
Sep 29, 2011, 3:15 AM

I'm not saying that millions of people will visit the bridge from out of town but it will support downtown development leading to other office highrises causing people to go on business trips to downtown meaning that we need hotels and stores witch will over all help out the local economy and adding visitors (not too many tourist visiting the city)

Ritarancher
Sep 29, 2011, 5:06 PM
I am not familiar with Miracle Mile and only been in that area once when I went bowling with some friends a few years ago but it definitely had a sketchy feeling. However, it is about to go under some changes and a bunch of art studios and a cafe/bar is being developed. Here is a link to KVOA.com to watch the video.

http://www.kvoa.com/videos/new-hope-for-miracle-mile/

70% of this city needs a facelift hahaha but Miracle Mile was a good start, it was getting very ghetto

Thirsty
Oct 1, 2011, 1:03 AM
I like the momentum on Miracle Mile. That era doesn't typically interest me, but that strip is a gem worth saving. It could be one of those must-see Americana roadside attractions.

I've always had mixed feelings about revitalization spread out over the whole city. On one hand it provides a wider scope of improvements. Still I always feel that it makes it harder for any one part of town to reach that critical mass. Particularly when multiple areas are wooing the same niche, be it artist, restaurants, entertainment, shopping ect.

Although, it looks like downtown might reach that mass once the dorms go in.

Still, what brings the most benefit? Many points of interest, or a single hot spot? Are there any urban planners here who could educate me?

Thirsty
Oct 1, 2011, 1:14 AM
70% of this city needs a facelift hahaha but Miracle Mile was a good start, it was getting very ghetto

The main E/W streets are so identically ugly, I cannot ever remember if a business is on Grant, Speedway, Broadway, or 22nd. It's all a blur.

Money aside, it would be great to turn one of them into a freeway. Not so much for transportation, but to consolidate the strip malls. (OK, primarily for transportation)

Imagine Grant Highway or Fort Lowell Expressway connecting to Tanque Verde and then turning south onto the Houghton Freeway to form a big loop around the city with I-10. :worship:

Thirsty
Oct 1, 2011, 1:39 AM
because Tucson cannot get corporations to commit anything more than small regional offices to the city, downtown is stuck with the limited growth of government jobs and the emerging downtown service industry.

Most high paying private sector jobs are located on the far flung edges of the city/county.

The city must have tried to make this push before, so I assume it was shot down, but can anyone explain why the city can't get Raytheon and the UofA to move positions that aren't on-site essential to downtown? Accounting, Sales & Marketing ect. And for UofA, I know for a fact that there are many many support staff who are critical to the University's daily and long term functions, but rarely have a need to interact face to face with faculty/students.

I know the economics favor keeping employees where they are, but UofA and Raytheon in particular are two large employers who have a strong interest in attracting youth (and we all know that is done with vibrant city cores) And if that didn't sell it, how about freeing up space. A lack of room to expand has been a very public concern for both.

combusean
Oct 1, 2011, 5:51 AM
Raytheon is a missile manufacturing company with headquarters in a generic, nondescript box in the most vapid of corporate towns (Cambridge, MA). There aren't any functions of that company's presence in Tucson that would work downtown.

The UA is probably loathe to move employees downtown because they already own their space on campus and moves are extraordinarily expensive.

The other part of it is that they've probably never considered it because downtown employment is a niche concern and few people advocate for it.

Still another aspect of it is that there's nothing bigger than 50,000 square feet for lease in Downtown Tucson. 50,000 sqft isn't much--Freeport McMoran leased 185,000 square feet in its namesake tower in Downtown Phoenix in a spec office building. So it stands to reason that if Tucson were to land a major headquarters, one of the ways it could happen is that their office market would have to be strong enough for a developer to build a big enough tower to house such a headquarters first.

Or... I bet when Unisource vacates their tower and all that space comes on the market you guys will see a major lease transaction and the building will be renamed for a new anchor tenant.

Ritarancher
Oct 1, 2011, 6:09 AM
The main E/W streets are so identically ugly, I cannot ever remember if a business is on Grant, Speedway, Broadway, or 22nd. It's all a blur.

Money aside, it would be great to turn one of them into a freeway. Not so much for transportation, but to consolidate the strip malls. (OK, primarily for transportation)

Imagine Grant Highway or Fort Lowell Expressway connecting to Tanque Verde and then turning south onto the Houghton Freeway to form a big loop around the city with I-10. :worship:

It would have been nice if city planners 50 years ago said to them selves- Hey lets make Grant Road and Kolb Road become a freeway, interstate 110 or somethin- but NO the citizens living at that time hated that idea and so did city planners! Kino was actually supposed to become a freeway but the people also rejected that idea in seconds. Now it is our job for our generation to plan for the future (IT WILL COME) and decide on new freeways and a good place to start is to build a freeway from rita road and interstate 10 to somewhere north of pima mine road (interstate 19). Another good place is to build a tucson boycott freeway that takes truck drivers around the rincons, to help lighten traffic.

Anqrew
Oct 1, 2011, 8:26 PM
It would have been nice if city planners 50 years ago said to them selves- Hey lets make Grant Road and Kolb Road become a freeway, interstate 110 or somethin- but NO the citizens living at that time hated that idea and so did city planners! Kino was actually supposed to become a freeway but the people also rejected that idea in seconds. Now it is our job for our generation to plan for the future (IT WILL COME) and decide on new freeways and a good place to start is to build a freeway from rita road and interstate 10 to somewhere north of pima mine road (interstate 19). Another good place is to build a tucson boycott freeway that takes truck drivers around the rincons, to help lighten traffic.

Grant/Kolb actually is designated as a freeway route in most regional plans.

see here: http://www.arizonaroads.com/pics/urban1997tucson.gif

kaneui
Oct 1, 2011, 8:45 PM
because Tucson cannot get corporations to commit anything more than small regional offices to the city, downtown is stuck with the limited growth of government jobs and the emerging downtown service industry.

Most high paying private sector jobs are located on the far flung edges of the city/county.

The city must have tried to make this push before, so I assume it was shot down, but can anyone explain why the city can't get Raytheon and the UofA to move positions that aren't on-site essential to downtown? Accounting, Sales & Marketing ect. And for UofA, I know for a fact that there are many many support staff who are critical to the University's daily and long term functions, but rarely have a need to interact face to face with faculty/students.

I know the economics favor keeping employees where they are, but UofA and Raytheon in particular are two large employers who have a strong interest in attracting youth (and we all know that is done with vibrant city cores) And if that didn't sell it, how about freeing up space. A lack of room to expand has been a very public concern for both.

The UofA's College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture just recently moved into the restored Roy Place Building downtown, and the university has indicated that this is only the first step in having a larger downtown presence. I would expect the UofA to lease even more space downtown once the streetcar and student housing projects are completed.

Also, the majority of the 425 employees that will fill UniSource's new 170k s.f. headquarters will be relocated from their outlying suburban offices, as they will be vacating only 35k s.f. in the current UniSource Tower. However, building naming rights and penthouse offices should be able to attract a prominent tenant for that space.

For a video of a flag-raising event atop the new UniSource Building on 9/11/11: http://www.tep.com/company/news/UNSbuilding/index.asp

sunbeach
Oct 1, 2011, 10:33 PM

ok, I misunderstood you. You're not against the Rainbow Bridge. My apologies.;)

I don't think the Rainbow Bridge is laughable. It's a monumental game changer for Tucson because it's one of the few nice looking man-made structures in Tucson that will dominate the skyline - the magnitude of this structure will be an appropriate shade or distraction to the other UGLY downtown high rise...there you go, I've said it.

And yes, I REALLY THINK TUCSON IS UGLIER if it weren't for the surrounding Saguaro Nat'l Park and mountains . Yes, I'd say about 90 percent of the man-made structures in Tucson ARE DAMN UGLY!!!! Let's start by getting rid of those ranch houses and the bland looking buildings around Tucson.

sunbeach
Oct 1, 2011, 11:00 PM

I'm glad everyone is bringing this Tucson freeway topic up front. I remember turning Grant rd. to a freeway was voted down early 2000's . I'm hoping some kind of eminent domain from the state, city or county would force the construction of a crosstown freeway in Tucson in the near future, I mean c'mon, one of these days all traffic would freeze during rush hour.

Yeah, Kolb-Tanque Verde-Grant-1st Ave/Euclid-Kino-Aviation would make a good freeway. It cuts through UofA, Airport, Davis-Monthan, UofA Tech Park, Raytheon, TMC, Tucson Mall and Downtown .

...let me add, imagine a Los Angeles with no freeways? That's where Tucson is headed.

Ritarancher
Oct 2, 2011, 4:20 AM
I'm glad everyone is bringing this Tucson freeway topic up front. I remember turning Grant rd. to a freeway was voted down early 2000's . I'm hoping some kind of eminent domain from the state, city or county would force the construction of a crosstown freeway in Tucson in the near future, I mean c'mon, one of these days all traffic would freeze during rush hour.

Yeah, Kolb-Tanque Verde-Grant-1st Ave/Euclid-Kino-Aviation would make a good freeway. It cuts through UofA, Airport, Davis-Monthan, UofA Tech Park, Raytheon, TMC, Tucson Mall and Downtown .

...let me add, imagine a Los Angeles with no freeways? That's where Tucson is headed.

Kolb/Grant freeway would cost BILLIONS, to build this freeway we need to buy many homes,stores ect. and demolish them. Then we would have MASSIVE traffic problems for 5 years while the freeway is being built.A frontage road would have to be built to allow access to the homes and businesses facing the road. I think the easiest way to make this a freeway is to have like a lifted freeway (i don't really know what it's called but it is like the freeway in downtown). Kolb road between Valencia and Irvington is practically a freeway so that part will be easy to freeway-ize. This freeway would need to be (at least) 3 lanes and have a bike/multipurpose route somewhere safe and close to the freeway. I would also like stack interchanges with i-10. Awwww that would be nice.

Thirsty
Oct 4, 2011, 10:28 PM
Let's start by getting rid of those ranch houses and the bland looking buildings around Tucson.

Ha. I have to agree with that. I wish we could take a mulligan on everything east of Country Club.

Thirsty
Oct 4, 2011, 10:48 PM
Raytheon is a missile manufacturing company with headquarters in a generic, nondescript box in the most vapid of corporate towns (Cambridge, MA). There aren't any functions of that company's presence in Tucson that would work downtown.

The UA is probably loathe to move employees downtown because they already own their space on campus and moves are extraordinarily expensive.

The other part of it is that they've probably never considered it because downtown employment is a niche concern and few people advocate for it.

Still another aspect of it is that there's nothing bigger than 50,000 square feet for lease in Downtown Tucson. 50,000 sqft isn't much--Freeport McMoran leased 185,000 square feet in its namesake tower in Downtown Phoenix in a spec office building. So it stands to reason that if Tucson were to land a major headquarters, one of the ways it could happen is that their office market would have to be strong enough for a developer to build a big enough tower to house such a headquarters first.

Or... I bet when Unisource vacates their tower and all that space comes on the market you guys will see a major lease transaction and the building will be renamed for a new anchor tenant.

I didn't realize Raytheon was just an outpost of engineers and manufacturing. I thought there were more varied jobs down there.

I still think UA is so strapped for space that it makes sense. Scores of houses in the area have been purchased by the University and converted into offices. Regardless of their desires to keep all employees on campus, that hasn't been a reality since at least 2000.

Thirsty
Oct 4, 2011, 11:07 PM

That is exactly why they weren't built. Both Tucson and Phoenix looked at LA as an example of what not to do. I think Phoenix finally gave in around '85 or so.

An E/W freeway might significantly help grow the downtown area too.

Kolb/Grant freeway would cost BILLIONS, to build this freeway we need to buy many homes,stores ect. and demolish them. Then we would have MASSIVE traffic problems for 5 years while the freeway is being built.A frontage road would have to be built to allow access to the homes and businesses facing the road. I think the easiest way to make this a freeway is to have like a lifted freeway (i don't really know what it's called but it is like the freeway in downtown). Kolb road between Valencia and Irvington is practically a freeway so that part will be easy to freeway-ize. This freeway would need to be (at least) 3 lanes and have a bike/multipurpose route somewhere safe and close to the freeway. I would also like stack interchanges with i-10. Awwww that would be nice.

I don't see how building a raised freeway would have any smaller of a footprint. It seems all the same costs and traffic during construction would still apply. Personally, from a noise pollution and visual preference, I'm in favor of a sunken freeway.

combusean
Oct 5, 2011, 7:22 AM
^ You could conceivably find the right of way between I-10 and Escalante for such a beast, but you may as well write the concept off entirely for anything past that.

Just look at how I-10 or the 202 was constructed through Phoenix. ADOT bought out and cleared a gash a football field wide for the freeway ROW and left the surrounding neighborhoods to rot for years while they built it. LA freeways were built using standards that are now obsolete--if this proposed tucson freeway saved on ROW by using cloverleaf exits at 25 MPH, it would negate the purpose of building it.

I estimate the acquisition and construction costs would be somewhere near two billion dollars a mile, and Tucson/Pima County/PAG just does not have the tax base for it given there would be no help from the Feds and very little help from the State.

You wouldn't even have a frontage road as the freeway would basically touch the adjoining suburban housing development. Every single commercial business along the way would be completely destroyed for miles, decimating the very tax base needed to build it.

A transit network built for half the cost of a crosstown freeway would likely rival any midsized city's in the country and not destroy the very city it purports to connect. Would love to see that kind of thinking instead here.

aznate27
Oct 5, 2011, 6:40 PM
Haven't been on here in a while so forgive me if this was already posted, but I had no idea Plaza Centro downtown was going to be two 11 story towers??? Where the hell are they going to build that on that small corner space???

http://azbigmedia.com/azre/new-market-july-august-2011

I really like how the east side of downtown looks now. Having two 11 story towers would be pretty cool!:tup:

Ted Lyons
Oct 5, 2011, 7:30 PM
Haven't been on here in a while so forgive me if this was already posted, but I had no idea Plaza Centro downtown was going to be two 11 story towers??? Where the hell are they going to build that on that small corner space???

http://azbigmedia.com/azre/new-market-july-august-2011

I really like how the east side of downtown looks now. Having two 11 story towers would be pretty cool!:tup:

Mentally, it seems like a tight fit, but that lot is pretty big.

http://g.co/maps/xqabe

I'm pretty sure the "other site" with 3 stories of residential is referring to the Plaza Centro garage project.

aznate27
Oct 5, 2011, 8:44 PM
Mentally, it seems like a tight fit, but that lot is pretty big.

http://g.co/maps/xqabe

I'm pretty sure the "other site" with 3 stories of residential is referring to the Plaza Centro garage project.

Wow, ok, now I can see it.:D Thanks for the link!

Thirsty
Oct 7, 2011, 3:30 AM
You wouldn't even have a frontage road as the freeway would basically touch the adjoining suburban housing development. Every single commercial business along the way would be completely destroyed for miles, decimating the very tax base needed to build it.

A transit network built for half the cost of a crosstown freeway would likely rival any midsized city's in the country and not destroy the very city it purports to connect. Would love to see that kind of thinking instead here.

You start to hit a point I've been saying for years (even if I have been thinking of how to squeeze a freeway in just for fun)

The central-east side (Golf Links<->Tanque Verde) is nearly fully developed, so how many more cars could there be? If the city/county can keep up with growth on the SE side, and alleviate some congestion in the NE then how do we justify a full-scale freeway down Grant?

One idea is to build an Aviation-like "expressway" down Prince or Fort Lowell connecting to the Tanque Verde quasi-highway. There isn't much going on along those roads, so that makes it cheaper and takes care of everyone NE of the Kolb/Wilmot intersection.

While I'm excited that the state is planning to connect both ends of Aviation HW to I-10, it doesn't address the fact that anyone in the SE needs to drive all the way south to I-10 to get into the city, or else add to the the congestion on the Boulevards. It might not be popular, but E. Golf Links from Craycroft to Houghton should be sacrificed for the eastward expansion of the expressway.

Patrick S
Oct 10, 2011, 8:22 PM
^ You could conceivably find the right of way between I-10 and Escalante for such a beast, but you may as well write the concept off entirely for anything past that.

Just look at how I-10 or the 202 was constructed through Phoenix. ADOT bought out and cleared a gash a football field wide for the freeway ROW and left the surrounding neighborhoods to rot for years while they built it. LA freeways were built using standards that are now obsolete--if this proposed tucson freeway saved on ROW by using cloverleaf exits at 25 MPH, it would negate the purpose of building it.

I estimate the acquisition and construction costs would be somewhere near two billion dollars a mile, and Tucson/Pima County/PAG just does not have the tax base for it given there would be no help from the Feds and very little help from the State.

I've seen statistics on the estimated costs of building a cross-town expressway in Tucson, and they say it would cost $100 Million a mile. While this is a large sum, and way beyond the means of Tucson, even in boom times, this figure is way less than your estimate of $2 Billion. I've read this tread for a while now and I love the free flow of ideas on here, but we need to try to stick to facts and not just estimates off the top of our heads. That said, I agree with the rest of your statement. The scar left in Tucson - the physical scar that is, of putting something that wide in an already built city - would be unthinkable for the city to allow to happen, let alone for the NIMBYs to allow. Unfortunately it was the NIMBYs who didn't plan ahead and foresee all the traffic problems we would face now and in the future. They were thinking of the movie 'Field of Dreams', just in reverse, "IF we don't build it, THEY won't come." Well they got the first half right, but they (and I - since I've only moved here from Illinois almost 3 years ago) did come.

Ted Lyons
Oct 11, 2011, 5:05 AM
Tucson Weekly's food blog had some interesting rumors last week:

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2011/10/06/mmmmm-juicy-food-news-rumors

Rumors in the world of food writing are about as reliable as lunaception, but it’s fun to talk about them from time to time anyway.

The most recent rumor is that there is talk of bringing a location of Sam Fox’s restaurant True Food Kitchen to Tucson. I would like it if that would happen. While you’re at it, bring us a location of Culinary Dropout, too.

The other rumor is that another brewery is opening downtown. This is the sort of rumor with clout, being that it comes from a reliable rumor-spreader who happens to own a couple of downtown businesses. But I can’t talk about it yet, because, yes, it’s still a rumor.

There’s also a rumor that a new café is opening inside St. Phillip’s Plaza. We’re not sure about the name yet, but it’s locally owned and supposed to be quite nice.

And lastly, we heard yesterday that the new Brushfire BBQ location on the east side could open as early as next Monday. “That’s a best-case scenario, though,” said the person we talked to. So, yeah, that’s sort of rumorish, too.

True Food is a good place that targets the Tucson food scene better than the Scottsdale food scene, at least IMO. I'd love to see Fox invest in downtown, but I see this as a more likely project for North Campbell or La Encantada.

The rumored brewery is more exciting. The thing about drinking establishments is that they rely on a more local patronage than other businesses. So, as with Borderlands, this seems to evidence an investment in future housing additions downtown.

kaneui
Oct 12, 2011, 3:24 AM
There will soon be two farmer's markets anchoring the east and west ends of downtown: on October 15, the east-end farmer's market will debut on the patio at Maynard's--to be held each Saturday from 9-1--joining the market at Mercado San Agustin on Thursdays from 3-6:

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/10/new-farmers-market-coming-to-maynards-market/

kaneui
Oct 22, 2011, 5:58 AM
Downtown's restored and historic Rialto Building has now evolved into a science center, with an upcoming series of exhibitions from the UofA College of Science under a new non-profit, Science Downtown:

Mars and Beyond gives deep peek into UA space program
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
October 21, 2011

Space science has abounded at the University of Arizona since the earliest days of the Space Age at the very start of the 1960s. Now the public can see UA’s full space story at a new “Mars and Beyond: The Search for Life on Other Planets” exhibition that opens Oct. 22 at the Rialto Exhibition Center, 300 E. Congress. “Mars and Beyond” follows King Tut, Titanic and Bodies at the Rialto Exhibition Center, which accidentally has become a full-time science center for co-owner Don Martin.

News accounts of UA’s deep involvement in the Phoenix Mars Lander and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Mars have seeped into local community throughout the 2000s. But, as the exhibition name indicates, Mars may be a UA trump card, but the university’s Lunar & Planetary Laboratory has had deep involvement across the solar system for 50 years.

For the full article: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/10/mars-and-beyond-gives-deep-peek-into-ua-space-program/

http://www.sciencedowntown.org/index.html

kaneui
Oct 25, 2011, 12:44 AM
In a one-day, $115k makeover project to spruce up Toole Ave. in the Warehouse Arts District, over 150 volunteers helped plant 30 trees and other landscaping, as well as install decorative art panels and paint wall murals:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/TooleStmakeover-RMiranda.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/TooleAve-tiledplanters.jpg
City Manager Richard Miranda showed up to help plant a tree (L); concrete tree culverts decorated with artistic tile crafted by Susan Gamble at Santa Theresa Tile Works (R).
(photos - Downtown Tucsonan: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Downtown-Tucsonan/283507751922?sk=photos)

Trees, shrubs and art have sprouted on Toole Avenue
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
October 24, 2011

One day in October 2011. 150-some volunteers from Downtown’s dedicated enthusiasts and the arts corps. Thirty young mesquite trees, far too immature to cast any shade. 130 sundry other plants. Artistic creations spun on the spot along the two-block stretch of Toole Avenue from Sixth Avenue to Stone Avenue.

This day, Oct. 22, 2011, will be remembered as the one where a desperately bleak Toole Avenue got a one-day flash mob transformation that sets the stage for the Warehouse Art District for decades. “This is as collaborative as it’s ever going to be,” Downtown Tucson Partnership CEO Michael Keith said with a particularly broad smile. This streetscape extreme makeover for Toole essentially lays the foundation for the art walk spelled out in the 2004 Tucson Historic Warehouse Arts District Master Plan.

For the full article: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2011/10/trees-shrubs-and-art-have-sprouted-on-toole-avenue/

Thirsty
Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
Mars and Beyond gives deep peek into UA space program

Maybe I missed something in the article, but I'm not clear on if this UA Space exhibit is the next in a line of temporary shows, or a permanent museum.

As I'm typing this I realize that the University has a number of museums, but none dedicated to what likely brings the school the most recognition, space exploration.

bleunick
Oct 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
I think I remember reading somewhere that the museum was a "long term" tenant. whatever that means...

What are other people's thoughts on the UofA's presence in downtown? Im not sure how I feel about how much the university is kind of taking over the east end. I know the new student housing is going to be a huge boost for the businesses down there during school, but what about during the winter or summer? Those are pretty prime lots that they bought up that could have been used for something more beneficial for the entire downtown community, not just for students during select months. I just dont want to see all of downtown slowly turn into a second campus.

andrewsaturn
Oct 26, 2011, 1:30 AM
Stretch of Tucson Blvd getting a facelift

Posted: Oct 25, 2011 5:19 PM

TUCSON - A change in the works for what is often many visitor's first impression of our city. A stretch of Tucson Boulevard that begins at the airport and ends at Valencia will soon be getting a facelift and should one day look like a desert oasis.

Some consider the stretch of road an eyesore. It's what people see when they arrive at the airport and it what they see when they leave.

Richard Underwood is a member of the Metro Chamber of Commerce and also owns AAA landscaping. He says, "Its hard to sell ugly, I love our city but man, we got to clean up."

He wants not just clean up the trash, but also to clear the dead tree limbs and replant new trees in the median. He also says, "You get one chance of making a first impression. People will drive out of the airport and see this lush Sonoran landscaping and then they will look at the Catalinas."

Fast Park, located on Tucson Blvd since 2008, is all about beautifying the boulevard. Mike Kotch says, "I think we all will feel better about coming to Tucson and feeling safe and secure and that they're being taken care of."

Bill Holmes is with the Metro Chamber of Commerce. He says their slogan of growing businesses and building communities is what the project is all about.

The price tag? $330,000.00.

"It's a very expensive project but one that we fully believe that with the seed money that we are looking at from our board and our members that the community at large will step up," Holmes says.

For more information on the project visit:

www.tucsonchamber.org

http://www.kvoa.com/news/stretch-of-tucson-blvd-getting-a-facelift/

I'm glad to see some initiative being taken in beautifying that part since I am always grossed out when I fly in from out of town. If they need volunteers then I am willing to sign up!

andrewsaturn
Oct 26, 2011, 1:52 AM
I think I remember reading somewhere that the museum was a "long term" tenant. whatever that means...

What are other people's thoughts on the UofA's presence in downtown? Im not sure how I feel about how much the university is kind of taking over the east end. I know the new student housing is going to be a huge boost for the businesses down there during school, but what about during the winter or summer? Those are pretty prime lots that they bought up that could have been used for something more beneficial for the entire downtown community, not just for students during select months. I just dont want to see all of downtown slowly turn into a second campus.

I see your perspective but I don't see Tucson becoming much more than what it already is which is just a big college town. The students who will fill those apartments will be gone during those summer and winter months but I feel that it is the same case for the large part of the university area. Lots of rented houses become idle and also the businesses on university blvd. However, that area east of rialto theatre could have had a better tenant/plan but as far as I know, the only ones interested were the university and peach properties. Perhaps in the future, if it somehow doesn't work out for student housing it can be turned into apartments for the public and the block A will be taken down.

sunbeach
Oct 26, 2011, 2:03 AM
Man, I love the desert but sometimes you want to be around lots of trees. Mt Lemon is quite far away. I wished they plant more of them trees downtown. Turn downtown into a mini-forest or tree oasis or a cool down oasis since trees make things cooler.

kaneui
Oct 26, 2011, 6:11 AM

Although city planners originally envisioned a more upscale crowd, the much-delayed luxury condo projects never got out of the ground (e.g, The Post and El Presidio). And with commercial lending tight during the economic downturn, student housing is what banks are financing. Obviously, downtown will really turn the corner when we see more market-rate units; and the modern streetcar coupled with the new UofA housing (and even the low-income housing at Depot Plaza and the New Armory) should create some synergy to bring more affluent residents downtown, as well as additional retail.

I'm guessing the next market-rate project will be the 5-story apartment building that will complete Depot Plaza; then maybe at La Placita, with plans to convert the upper floors to residences. Hopefully, some of that demand will come from the new UofA staffers downtown and the 300+ additional employees that will relocate to the new UniSource Building next month--surely some of them will prefer to live nearby, or at least within walking distance of the new streetcar.

Thirsty
Oct 26, 2011, 7:04 AM

I have a few thoughts here:

We've tried it without the University, and nothing has happened in the past 27 years. There has been next to zero demand for additional commercial or residential space since the last Unisorce tower was built.
Bringing thousands of walking, talking disposable-incomes downtown is good for business.
The plans call for ground level retail, so the space can serve the whole community.
Students will create demand for the basic amenities that seem to cool the enthusiasm for residential development. (groceries, drug store, quick inexpensive dining)
Student exodus is exaggerated. Most are still in town, they just aren't flocking to campus en masse every day, they're fanning out and driving to work.
The 18-30 crowd has been the anchor for East end establishments anyhow.

Most importantly to me, this is the best shot to break the cycle of "downtown struggles; because there is little business, because there are few consumers, because there are few residents, because downtown struggles."

As for summertime concerns, it is a down time all over the city, and it isn't just students, but snowbirds too. The city has always managed, and the student driven commercial areas (which do take a hit) are very stable.

Plus we still don't know the lease structure. These towers aren't dorms, they are university recommended living quarters. Peach Properties may just end up demanding a 12-month lease.

sunbeach
Oct 26, 2011, 4:11 PM
I have a few thoughts here:

We've tried it without the University, and nothing has happened in the past 27 years. There has been next to zero demand for additional commercial or residential space since the last Unisorce tower was built.
Bringing thousands of walking, talking disposable-incomes downtown is good for business.
The plans call for ground level retail, so the space can serve the whole community.
Students will create demand for the basic amenities that seem to cool the enthusiasm for residential development. (groceries, drug store, quick inexpensive dining)
Student exodus is exaggerated. Most are still in town, they just aren't flocking to campus en masse every day, they're fanning out and driving to work.
The 18-30 crowd has been the anchor for East end establishments anyhow.

Most importantly to me, this is the best shot to break the cycle of "downtown struggles; because there is little business, because there are few consumers, because there are few residents, because downtown struggles."

As for summertime concerns, it is a down time all over the city, and it isn't just students, but snowbirds too. The city has always managed, and the student driven commercial areas (which do take a hit) are very stable.

Plus we still don't know the lease structure. These towers aren't dorms, they are university recommended living quarters. Peach Properties may just end up demanding a 12-month lease.

Well, my friend, I definitely agree with you on the grocery, drug store, inexpensive chow etc.. downtown. I just couldn't figure out why downtown can't have a walmart, bashas, whole foods store, walgreens, cvs etc.

Just had some chow at Janos downtown kitchen and it was fabulous! But spending 20-30 bucks a meal each day is just unrealistic for me. Love the Subway and I wished for more cheap grub downtown 24/7.

Ted Lyons
Oct 26, 2011, 7:20 PM
Has this been posted?

http://peachprops.com/development/local/

In the summer of 2011, Peach acquired the site of the first Safeway grocery store in Downtown Tucson. Featuring a soaring bow truss ceiling, these buildings also have onsite parking, and they will be developed for new retail and restaurant use. We daydream of a grocery store Downtown, and this could be a great location, just north of Armory Park, and near new housing developments. Located one block directly south of the Rialto Theater, the redevelopment of East Broadway continues.

http://i.imgur.com/hJCSO.jpg

Notice the Thunder Canyon Brewing signage. I'm guessing this is what the previous article I linked was alluding to.

sunbeach
Oct 26, 2011, 9:10 PM
:previous: thanks for the info. hope that really leads to a real commercial grade grocer. pretty much everyone i talked to want a fry's , albertsons or safeway downtown. i know downtown has small grocers but you can't beat the cheap prices of them corporate grocers.

now if we can just have a walgreens or cvs with lots of trees all over :D

Anqrew
Oct 26, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hmm which building is the 'safeway' building? the run down one right next to the rialto on 5th/broadway?

also this is on their website for tre i10 frontage.
http://peachprops.com/images/greenlinesitemap.jpg