PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

aznate27
Nov 16, 2013, 5:48 PM
http://www.swaimaia.com/all/current-projects/salvation-army-hospitality-house/

Should enhance that corner. Site is currently being rented to store materials for construction of Park Avenue Student Complex. Albert Elias presented that the project will begin early next year. Not a skyscraper, but at least denser infill.

I'm really excited about this project! I donate food to the current location on a monthly basis, so this is something that I hold close to my heart. I know what the current building looks like and it's pretty dismal, so I'm glad they found the funding for a new building. Plus it will help enhance the area. Main and Speedway is an untapped market just waiting to be developed. I can almost assure you that with the Tucson House high-rise already in the area, the future could see more tall buildings in the area.

So, on another topic, I drive by the Bellovin Karnas Camarena building downtown all the time, and I'm really disappointed to hear that it will be demolished for the new AC Hotel going up next year:(. I really wish they would find a way to incorporate the building into the hotel's design. It's a nice looking building and seems like a shame to tear it down. What do you guys think??:???:

aznate27
Nov 16, 2013, 5:53 PM
This action should spur and kick off more development. (Link) (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/city-expands-downtown-incentive-district-west/article_5a944132-4d84-11e3-8ced-001a4bcf887a.html)

"The Gadsden Company stands to benefit from the combined district boundaries with its planned Monier apartments near another Gadsden project, the Mercado San Augustin. Gadsden partner Jerry Dixon said hopefully, the 165-unit complex will start building next year."

About time! I was wondering what happened with this.

ppdd
Nov 16, 2013, 7:06 PM
I'm really excited about this project! I donate food to the current location on a monthly basis, so this is something that I hold close to my heart. I know what the current building looks like and it's pretty dismal, so I'm glad they found the funding for a new building. Plus it will help enhance the area. Main and Speedway is an untapped market just waiting to be developed. I can almost assure you that with the Tucson House high-rise already in the area, the future could see more tall buildings in the area.

So, on another topic, I drive by the Bellovin Karnas Camarena building downtown all the time, and I'm really disappointed to hear that it will be demolished for the new AC Hotel going up next year:(. I really wish they would find a way to incorporate the building into the hotel's design. It's a nice looking building and seems like a shame to tear it down. What do you guys think??:???:

That building looks okay mostly because there has been so much junk around it - I have no problem seeing it torn down to make way for a better, more robust development. I was actually glad that they chose to remove it; Tucson tends to overvalue something in place at the expense of a broader goal. This building is not historic, not particularly interesting and not large enough to house make great use of the land. It is a fairly nice little building that was somewhat recently renovated, but integrating it into new construction shouldn't be a priority, in my opinion. I even view it as progress that we would need to tear down something decent in order to develop, rather than vast areas of run-down buildings from which to choose.

farmerk
Nov 17, 2013, 12:13 AM
I can almost assure you that with the Tucson House high-rise already in the area, the future could see more tall buildings in the area.

I sure hope that happens. Getting tired of those 2 floor proposals.

With regards to this Salvation Army Hospitality House (http://www.swaimaia.com/all/current-projects/salvation-army-hospitality-house/) , I wished they turn it into 5 floors with a shorter width from the current 2 floors/width :yuck: . The extra space besides the 5 floor building will allow for more construction for future development. It's just such a waste of space in central Tucson. I can understand building 2 floors at the edge of Tucson but in central Tucson? ... I mean c'mon! :shrug:

Central Tucson needs to pack more buildings in a small area - more density!

Thirsty
Nov 17, 2013, 2:06 AM
Also excited/disappointed. Glad something is happening to the lot, but it seems like a waste on that piece of property. Then again, it is hard enough to get anything dense built, so a property half mile from it's two great attributes might be a few decades too soon.

What is the Tucson House high rise?

InTheBurbs
Nov 17, 2013, 2:09 PM
What is the Tucson House high rise?

It's the older high rise at the south end of Oracle. It's public or elderly housing now, but was originally a hotel (Hilton, I think).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Tucson_House_1501_N._Oracle_Rd._Tucson%2C_Arizona_from_Drachman_St._-_Copy_01.jpg
Image Source:Cactus4u (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Tucson_House_1501_N._Oracle_Rd._Tucson%2C_Arizona_from_Drachman_St._-_Copy_01.jpg)

Thirsty
Nov 17, 2013, 7:18 PM
It's the older high rise at the south end of Oracle. It's public or elderly housing now, but was originally a hotel (Hilton, I think).

Thanks. I never knew its name.

Ritarancher
Nov 17, 2013, 11:31 PM
Speedway and Main isn't really skyscraper worthy. Yea the Tucson House is there but it's sort of an outliar. I can't see urban development happen there.
As for the AC Marriott, it's pretty exciting. I can't see the Bellovin building staying. There's nothing special about it! It's not like the chichago store. It won't be missed too badly.
1 east broadway is coming along nicely. It's not as tall as I'd like but it still is a great addition to Tucson.
The Gadsen development is also exciting!

aznate27
Nov 18, 2013, 4:07 AM
Speedway and Main isn't really skyscraper worthy. Yea the Tucson House is there but it's sort of an outliar. I can't see urban development happen there.
As for the AC Marriott, it's pretty exciting. I can't see the Bellovin building staying. There's nothing special about it! It's not like the chichago store. It won't be missed too badly.
1 east broadway is coming along nicely. It's not as tall as I'd like but it still is a great addition to Tucson.
The Gadsen development is also exciting!

I totally disagree with you. There was already talk of putting a six story building across from Tucson House right before the recession hit a few years back, but the plan fell through due to funding I believe. Main between Drachman and Speedway would be a great area for new apartments, condos and little neighborhood shops. There's actually a set of really cool lofts down one of the side streets. There's a lot of potential in the area, it just needs someone with a vision to get the ball rolling.

southtucsonboy77
Nov 18, 2013, 8:23 PM
Check out some pics on the Forth Worth thread. (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208312)
Some urban landscaping and features that downtown Tucson should incorporate in the future.

southtucsonboy77
Nov 21, 2013, 4:04 PM
Not much downtown Tucson development news lately...but on Inside Tucson Business website they have an article on Oklahoma City and its downtown/city transformation.

I've referenced OKC in the past, and I've taken a tour of their MAPS projects while receiving a certificate degree in Economic Development at the Univ. of Oklahoma. Tucson can definitely learn from the OKC experience.

Here's a link to the article. (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/opinion/columnists/guest_opinion/the-oklahoma-city-revival-miracle/article_373c76f0-4d7f-11e3-9af3-001a4bcf887a.html)

hthomas
Nov 22, 2013, 4:40 PM
The new market/restaurant 105 W. 4th Street (approximate) sits right next to Jim's Market to the west. The owner is currently retrofitting the triplex, which over the years has been restaurants and a barbershop (possibly other uses). The market/restaurant will sell seasonal local/regional items. (If you look it up on google maps it is the red or pinkish building that has a "Plaza" sign out front.)

The owner did not offer a timeline at this point. Said a lot of work has to be done. The owner attended the most recent Dunbar/Spring Neighborhood meeting, where he shared the information.

It's great that all the momentum in downtown is starting to revitalize the economic fabric of the downtown neighborhoods. Dunbar/Spring used to have a number of markets (Jim's Market, Lim Poy etc.) that have been turned into housing.

Patrick S
Nov 22, 2013, 11:51 PM
Urban Land Institute offers big plans for TCC, west side of downtown (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/urban-land-institute-offers-big-plans-for-tcc-west-side/article_05cad9f2-53b2-11e3-b11d-0019bb2963f4.html)

Tear down Hotel Arizona, repurpose La Placita with University of Arizona schools of design, performing arts or architecture, build a downtown recreation center, build an equestrian center similar to West World west of I-10, get more people living downtown and increase downtown attractions are some of the suggestions for the continued revival of downtown made by urban planning experts Friday.

About 100 of downtown’s business owners, residents, politicians and developers gathered Friday morning at the Tucson Convention Center to hear the initial report from the Urban Land Institute about how to develop the Tucson Convention Center and the lands west of it.

The institute is a Washington D.C. land-use think tank that specializes in urban planning. A consortium of the city of Tucson, Pima County, Rio Nuevo, Pima Association of Governments, Visit Tucson, TEP and Holualoa Real Estate paid for the study.

Tucson and the others hired ULI to provide an expert, outsider’s objective review of the west side of downtown’s strengths and weaknesses, with a focus on the TCC as an anchor, and to make suggestions based on proven redevelopment models completed in other cities about how to finish off downtown revitalization.

The ULI experts have been in town since Monday and have spoken to more than 150 people with a dog in the downtown development fight. Their formal report will be published in about a month, according to John Walsh, a Dallas developer who managed the ULI panel.

Highlights of the initial report:

Alan Billingsley, a California developer and researcher, was tasked with evaluating the downtown economy. He said the most immediate improvement to downtown that would payoff sooner than later is increasing multi-family housing downtown – apartments and condos.

He said housing trends are changing among young professionals and they’re increasingly seeking housing in urban areas close to cultural, entertainment and dining amenities rather than a house in the ‘burbs. He suggested downtown add 200 to 300 rental units a year.

However, in the adjacent historic neighborhoods, he said zoning changes should be made to encourage infill single family home construction.

He said there is little demand for new office space and suggested the downtown property owners focus on leasing the existing space and start reusing much of the vacant class B and C space downtown.

Michael Berne, a retail planning consultant, reviewed the prospects for retail development downtown.

He said the immediate planning area and its adjacent communities offer a prospective retail population of only 42,000. What’s more, that population is mostly of modest income, as is the rest of Tucson.

That population is not big enough to support much retail development and suggested, like Billingsley, increasing the number of people living downtown or adjacent to it. He said if Tucson wants a vibrant downtown, it must increase downtown’s population density.

But downtown also draws people in, namely weekday workers. Downtown has a current workforce of about 27,000. Increasing the number of people working downtown will also have an effect on the viability of downtown retail development.

Among his many suggestions were adding more quick and cheap dining options, especially on the west side nearer to the TCC, and adding retail stores downtown and in the west side Mercado that cater to shoppers of modest to middle incomes and continue to add cultural and entertainment amenities to draw in non-downtown resident traffic.

He also thinks the mid-range to high-dollar dining market may be maxed out.
Charlie Johnson, a Chicago-based convention and hospitality industry consultant, said Tucson can make do with the convention center it has if it does a couple of important things, the most important being hiring a private firm to manage it.

He said hundreds of groups come to Tucson to hold meetings, just not at the TCC. Johnson said simple changes to how the TCC is used and promoted could greatly increase its use and economic impact.

Among those changes are cosmetic improvements (some of which are already underway in the arena), adding locker rooms and courts to increase athletics bookings, changing the north side ballrooms into cultural uses, and improving lighting, technology, directions and safety.

He also suggested tearing down Hotel Arizona and using the space as a community and cultural plaza centered around the music hall and theater on the north side, and tearing down La Placita office park on the north and repurposing it for the University of Arizona.

He said either the UA schools of design, architecture or performing arts would be natural fits for downtown and for the TCC.

To the south, he suggested adding a recreation center by the Fire Department headquarters and to the west, adding what he called a junior varsity convention center in the space currently only used for a big-tent gem show every February. Johnson said that parcel could house a smaller center for not only the gem show, but flea markets and other public events.

To the west of I-10, he said the southern portion of the Rio Nuevo land by the erstwhile Origins Park is undevelopable for housing or large buildings because of the old landfill there, which is too expensive to move.

He suggested turning it into a historic western cultural and equestrian center similar to Scottsdale’s West World.

And finally, he said the area on the west side near the Mercado needs a Visitor’s Center, with ample parking that serves as a visitor’s guide to not only downtown, but the Tucson and Southern Arizona region as a whole.
Other panelists offered reports on improving downtown’s traffic flow, its pedestrian and bicycle uses and safety, parking, signage and overall design.

Finally, Jan Minami, a California business consultant, said to make all of this happen, the community needs a downtown planning committee made up of all the downtown-area stakeholders. But most importantly, the local governments with oversight of downtown, namely Rio Nuevo, Tucson and the county, must all avow to abide by the decisions of the committee.

Walsh said dissent is death to efforts like this and it will take everyone and every entity represented on the committee agreeing to work toward the common goal.

Left unsaid in the report was funding for the plan. Walsh, in answer to a question about funding, said it will take both public and private investment, but admitted neither the city or county have money laying around to pay for these public improvements.

Ed. Note: A fuller version of this story will be published in the Nov. 29 ITB issue with reaction to the report from business leaders and politicians.

farmerk
Nov 23, 2013, 1:17 AM
Urban Land Institute offers big plans for TCC, west side of downtown (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/urban-land-institute-offers-big-plans-for-tcc-west-side/article_05cad9f2-53b2-11e3-b11d-0019bb2963f4.html)

Tear down Hotel Arizona, repurpose La Placita with University of Arizona schools of design, performing arts or architecture, build a downtown recreation center, build an equestrian center similar to West World west of I-10, get more people living downtown and increase downtown attractions are some of the suggestions for the continued revival of downtown made by urban planning experts Friday.

He said the most immediate improvement to downtown that would payoff sooner than later is increasing multi-family housing downtown – apartments and condos.

Michael Berne, a retail planning consultant, reviewed the prospects for retail development downtown.

That population is not big enough to support much retail development and suggested, like Billingsley, increasing the number of people living downtown or adjacent to it. He said if Tucson wants a vibrant downtown, it must increase downtown’s population density.

But downtown also draws people in, namely weekday workers. Downtown has a current workforce of about 27,000. Increasing the number of people working downtown will also have an effect on the viability of downtown retail development.

Among his many suggestions were adding more quick and cheap dining options, especially on the west side nearer to the TCC, and adding retail stores downtown and in the west side Mercado that cater to shoppers of modest to middle incomes and continue to add cultural and entertainment amenities to draw in non-downtown resident traffic.

He also thinks the mid-range to high-dollar dining market may be maxed out.
Among those changes are cosmetic improvements (some of which are already underway in the arena), adding locker rooms and courts to increase athletics bookings, changing the north side ballrooms into cultural uses, and improving lighting, technology, directions and safety.

Thanks for posting this. Nothing really new in these suggestions. I like the suggestion of tearing down Arizona Hotel and La Placita. I just wished they add tearing down TCC among other buildings downtown (old and NEW).

Affordable housing and retail downtown ? Wow! Wonder how much they paid these consultants. Let's start with adding a brand name grocery store.

"...He suggested downtown add 200 to 300 rental units a year..." How about more so downtown can finally have a handful of high rises.

Get rid of the Origins Park and replaced it with a free standing tower.

Thirsty
Nov 23, 2013, 5:59 AM
Thanks for posting this. Nothing really new in these suggestions. I like the suggestion of tearing down Arizona Hotel and La Placita. I just wished they add tearing down TCC among other buildings downtown (old and NEW).

Affordable housing and retail downtown ? Wow! Wonder how much they paid these consultants. Let's start with adding a brand name grocery store.

"...He suggested downtown add 200 to 300 rental units a year..." How about more so downtown can finally have a handful of high rises.

Get rid of the Origins Park and replaced it with a free standing tower.

At first these DC people reminded me of a 1st grade pen pale program w/ some east coast school. Lots of questions about cowboys hats, cattle drives and what I named my horse. :rolleyes:

No doubt there is a lack of equestrian resources downtown, but it is downtown after all. Tucson has no shortage of horse properties and facilities, some are near downtown. Apart from a stable along the greenline/Santa Cruz it seems the emphasis ought to be more as an indoor-outdoor events center. After all, there is a reason the racetrack is being turned into soccer fields.

But on second thought, this WestWorld events center may be more about keeping the Gem Show happy than providing equestrian activities. I'm OK with it, Tucson can't afford losing the Gem Show and can't count on TCC to keep it. Plus, if it can bring La Fiesta de los Vaqueros closer to downtown, all the better.

As for the rest of the development suggestions, they all fall under the category of no **** Einstein. Every suggestion (except maybe razing La Placita) has been repeated time and time again here.

Patrick S
Nov 23, 2013, 6:42 AM
At first these DC people reminded me of a 1st grade pen pale programs some east coast school. Lots of questions about cowboys hats, cattle drives and what I named my horse. :rolleyes:

No doubt there is a lack of equestrian resources downtown, but it is downtown after all. Tucson has no shortage of horse properties and facilities, some are near downtown. Apart from a stable along the greenline/Santa Cruz it seems the focus should be more as an indoor-outdoor events center. After all, there is a reason the racetrack is being turned into soccer fields.

This WestWorld events center may be a way to keep the Gem Show happy.

As for the suggestions, they all fall under the category of no **** Einstein. Not one suggestion (except maybe razing La Placita) has been repeated time and time again here.
Do you mean, "Every suggestion has been repeated time and time again here"? From your comments it seems you're trying to say these are all suggestions that have been suggested here before, but that isn't what you're saying.

Thirsty
Nov 23, 2013, 7:46 AM
Do you mean, "Every suggestion has been repeated time and time again here"? From your comments it seems you're trying to say these are all suggestions that have been suggested here before, but that isn't what you're saying.

Ha, yes. I'll edit my... well not a double negative. I don't know what that was.

farmerk
Nov 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
At first these DC people reminded me of a 1st grade pen pale program w/ some east coast school. Lots of questions about cowboys hats, cattle drives and what I named my horse. :rolleyes:

No doubt there is a lack of equestrian resources downtown, but it is downtown after all. Tucson has no shortage of horse properties and facilities, some are near downtown. Apart from a stable along the greenline/Santa Cruz it seems the emphasis ought to be more as an indoor-outdoor events center. After all, there is a reason the racetrack is being turned into soccer fields.

But on second thought, this WestWorld events center may be more about keeping the Gem Show happy than providing equestrian activities. I'm OK with it, Tucson can't afford losing the Gem Show and can't count on TCC to keep it. Plus, if it can bring La Fiesta de los Vaqueros closer to downtown, all the better.

As for the rest of the development suggestions, they all fall under the category of no **** Einstein. Every suggestion (except maybe razing La Placita) has been repeated time and time again here.

Personally, I have no interest in any equestrian events. Not familiar with West World until I googled it today. If that's what it takes to keep the Gem Show, so be it . Anything but that Origins Park - that by itself won't create any significant attraction downtown.

I'd prefer building a nice looking tall free standing tower. Doesn't have to be the tallest tower in the world but tall (and nice looking) enough to attract tourist. The tower will be multipurpose - observation deck, electronic transmissions etc. Also, tall enough for TV antenna's and smart phones to get good signals** Could blend it with the Origins Park and a West World. Maybe, make room for a future Aquarium etc..

I know it's a tough sell in NIMBY Tucson but you'll never know. I can see it now, Neighborhood Associations complaining about the tower invading their privacy and not too mention it would bring in a lot of traffic (foot and car) then turn around complain about not enough good paying jobs and $$$ to fix Tucson streets.

**Btw, there are several antenna's sticking out on top of Tucson's 'high rises'. And there's also, additionally, an electronic transmission tower (cell etc..) approx. in the middle of downtown Tucson (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+Pennington+Street+and+north+sixth+ave,+Tucson,+AZ&ie=UTF-8&ei=fuuRUtj4LYTnqQHauYGAAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg) (do a google street view). Not a nice looking site.

farmerk
Nov 26, 2013, 9:54 AM
Imagine something like this in the Santa Cruz river. Replace those trees with giant saguaros and the ice rink with a nice pavement at the base of the Santa Cruz river. The bridge at the background of this picture could be the Luis Gutierrez Bridge. Add buildings at the side and a tower up front. Christmas holidays, we could cover the saguaros with christmas decorations and maybe even put up a tall christmas tree besides a free standing tower .

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131122105036-winter-cities---ottawa-horizontal-gallery.jpg

southtucsonboy77
Nov 26, 2013, 5:57 PM
Positive news. (Link) (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/new-downtown-mixed-use-tower-nearly-sold-out-pag-ready/article_29926a46-5626-11e3-aca5-001a4bcf887a.html)

nickw252
Nov 26, 2013, 7:42 PM
Positive news. (Link) (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/new-downtown-mixed-use-tower-nearly-sold-out-pag-ready/article_29926a46-5626-11e3-aca5-001a4bcf887a.html)

That's positive news for the building but not a net gain for downtown commercial real estate since the tenants are moving from a different downtown office building.

That being said, it's a great building. The scale is a perfect fit for its surroundings, it has a street presence and is not too far off the street, there doesn't appear to be surface parking, and it's mixed use. Good for Tucson :cheers:

Did anyone notice all the typos and gramatical errors on their website? It looks very unprofessional.

Your urban experience will be enhanced by the street car with a stop right outside our lobby doors (due to be completed in 2014).

- "streetcar" is one word.

And of course, ever home offers a balcony with sweeping views.

- I think they mean "every"

In the heart of downtowns entertainment and business districts.

- "downtown" is possessive not plural, it needs to be "downtown's"

And that's just on the home page.

Patrick S
Nov 26, 2013, 8:44 PM
Imagine something like this in the Santa Cruz river. Replace those trees with giant saguaros and the ice rink with a nice pavement at the base of the Santa Cruz river. The bridge at the background of this picture could be the Luis Gutierrez Bridge. Add buildings at the side and a tower up front. Christmas holidays, we could cover the saguaros with christmas decorations and maybe even put up a tall christmas tree besides a free standing tower .

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131122105036-winter-cities---ottawa-horizontal-gallery.jpg
Oh God no. Please do not pave the Santa Cruz River. We aren't Los Angeles. We don't need every stream, creek, wash, river, gully, etc... covered with concrete.

farmerk
Nov 27, 2013, 12:29 AM

You beat me to it! Hope this paves way to more real high rise development!

farmerk
Nov 27, 2013, 12:33 AM
Oh God no. Please do not pave the Santa Cruz River. We aren't Los Angeles. We don't need every stream, creek, wash, river, gully, etc... covered with concrete.

Jesus freakin louise... HELL NOOOOO!!!!! THINK!

InTheBurbs
Nov 27, 2013, 3:32 AM
You beat me to it! Hope this paves way to more real high rise development!

Yes, and hopefully then Tucson media will stop referring to 4 and 7 story buildings as "towers" :)

Ritarancher
Nov 27, 2013, 5:51 AM
Yes, and hopefully then Tucson media will stop referring to 4 and 7 story buildings as "towers" :)

That's more of a nationwide thing, I read an article about a 4 story tower in Los Angeles I bet people in Dubai and China refer to 500 foot towers as 'stubs'

Ritarancher
Dec 1, 2013, 4:43 AM
There's a 3rd tower crane in the UofA area. It's a little west of Arizona Stadium. Does anybody know the purpose of this crane, what it's building.

Patrick S
Dec 1, 2013, 4:56 PM
There's a 3rd tower crane in the UofA area. It's a little west of Arizona Stadium. Does anybody know the purpose of this crane, what it's building.
I haven't seen it but it may be the Environment & Natural Resources Phase 2 at 1064 E. Lowell St. (just west of the 6th St. garage), which began construction in June.

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/Project/03-8526

Ted Lyons
Dec 1, 2013, 9:55 PM
I haven't seen it but it may be the Environment & Natural Resources Phase 2 at 1064 E. Lowell St. (just west of the 6th St. garage), which began construction in June.

http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/Project/03-8526

That's it.

Anqrew
Dec 2, 2013, 8:39 PM
I found this project on the web a while ago but forgot to post it. its only proposed, posted links to some pdfs about it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/68y69s.png

http://tucson.siretechnologies.com/SIREPub/cache/2/270057C2C32C3925D4533FEC333333737337545425545447/516063512022013013007643.pdf

http://tucson.siretechnologies.com/SIREPub/cache/2/270057C2C32C3925D4533FEC333333737337545425545447/516089412022013013250679.PDF

http://i41.tinypic.com/eg8kz7.jpg
Bramic Design Group
http://i44.tinypic.com/efp15s.png
Bramic Design Group

Ted Lyons
Dec 2, 2013, 8:58 PM
Intriguing, although it seems like they're having quite a few issues with the review process.

Ritarancher
Dec 3, 2013, 2:25 AM
Yea, it's the UofA environment building with the crane
Here's it's webcam
http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/webcam/enr2.aspx
As for the 5 story building, it's pretty good news. It's a great use for a small space. It's definitely going to add an urban street feeling when the AC Marriott gets developed across the street. With that in mind I'm assuming that the AC hotel will be fairly tall as it will occupy a large lot. It's going to be 7 stories on top of a 4 story garage right? These new contributions in the heart of downtown should help spawn more development

farmerk
Dec 3, 2013, 12:45 PM
I found this project on the web a while ago but forgot to post it. its only proposed, posted links to some pdfs about it.

I hope it doesn't get built. It's butt ugly :yuck:

Patrick S
Dec 6, 2013, 6:55 AM
Here's the powerpoint presentation from the Urban Land Institute's plan on what to do with downtown Tucson and the near west-side: http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/files/Tucson_-FINAL.pdf

farmerk
Dec 7, 2013, 8:23 AM
Construction at downtown west seemed to stop. Was there few days ago and there's not one construction worker or even a construction equipment parked at the site unlike last summer. I had the impression last summer that they were building that planned apartment complex at the same spot. They'd better build something (nice and useful) at that end otherwise that streetcar would be a waste of $$$.

aznate27
Dec 7, 2013, 2:57 PM
Construction at downtown west seemed to stop. Was there few days ago and there's not one construction worker or even a construction equipment parked at the site unlike last summer. I had the impression last summer that they were building that planned apartment complex at the same spot. They'd better build something (nice and useful) at that end otherwise that streetcar would be a waste of $$$.

There was a recent article that said they plan to move forward with plans next summer.

I think once we see the street car up and running, there will be a lot more announcements and moving forward on new projects downtown.

aznate27
Dec 7, 2013, 3:17 PM
The Flats at Julian Drew Block Condos in Downtown Now for Sale (http://www.downtowntucson.org/2013/12/the-flats-at-julian-drew-block-condos-in-downtown/)

The Flats at Julian Drew Block Condominiums, at 128 S 5th Avenue, are now listed for individual sale. The property has 53 studio and one bedroom units available, starting in the low $100,000′s and are available for purchase through Tierra Antigua Realty Downtown, at 216 E Congress...

So...this is why the momentum for buying downtown is flat. $100,000 for a studio or 1 bedroom?? I went to the website (http://www.therentalflats.com/) and there is no way I'd pay that much money to live there! :koko: They are giving the option to rent, which is much more realistic. I lived in Los Angeles for years, $100,000 for this kind of place is a dime a dozen out there, but this is Tucson, builders here need to get their heads out of the clouds when it comes to what they call "condos". And that kitchen..is a joke.

Also I checked out The Herbert's website, rental sales in that place are anemic at best, but One East Broadway only has a few units left!

farmerk
Dec 7, 2013, 4:20 PM
The Flats at Julian Drew Block Condos in Downtown Now for Sale (http://www.downtowntucson.org/2013/12/the-flats-at-julian-drew-block-condos-in-downtown/)

The Flats at Julian Drew Block Condominiums, at 128 S 5th Avenue, are now listed for individual sale. The property has 53 studio and one bedroom units available, starting in the low $100,000′s and are available for purchase through Tierra Antigua Realty Downtown, at 216 E Congress...

So...this is why the momentum for buying downtown is flat. $100,000 for a studio or 1 bedroom?? I went to the website (http://www.therentalflats.com/) and there is no way I'd pay that much money to live there! :koko: They are giving the option to rent, which is much more realistic. I lived in Los Angeles for years, $100,000 for this kind of place is a dime a dozen out there, but this is Tucson, builders here need to get their heads out of the clouds when it comes to what they call "condos". And that kitchen..is a joke.

Also I checked out The Herbert's website, rental sales in that place are anemic at best, but One East Broadway only has a few units left!

Thanks for the update about downtown west. Hope it really happens ... this time. I'm losing my patience!

I remember way back around the mid-2000's , Tucson was recognized as the most overpriced real estate in America. Looks like some realtors haven't learned their lesson.

EDIT: Browsing at the Flats at Julian Drew's rental prices (http://www.therentalflats.com/floorplans/#/carriage-two-bed-two-bath) ... I think they're reasonable but $100K minimum for a condo, I agree they're overpriced. The only time I'd pay a $100K condo for that size would be coming from a brand new high rise ... a real one.

Ted Lyons
Dec 7, 2013, 5:49 PM

$100,000, even for a studio, is nonexistent in desirable LA neighborhoods. This may be high for the Tucson market, but I kind of don't think it is. I thought the units were pretty fairly priced although I'd rather spend a little more to get some better finishes.

EDIT - Just to make a direct comparison, here are the Zillow results for downtown LA in the $100,000 to $200,000 price range. You'll note that both properties are not actually in downtown LA.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/100000-200000_price/396-792_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

This is how many you get when you up the maximum to $500,000.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/100000-500000_price/396-1982_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

This is how many in that range have more than one bedroom.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/2-_beds/100000-500000_price/396-1982_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

So, essentially, it takes about $350,000 to get you into the one-bedroom market in downtown LA.

aznate27
Dec 7, 2013, 6:20 PM
$100,000, even for a studio, is nonexistent in desirable LA neighborhoods. This may be high for the Tucson market, but I kind of don't think it is. I thought the units were pretty fairly priced although I'd rather spend a little more to get some better finishes.

EDIT - Just to make a direct comparison, here are the Zillow results for downtown LA in the $100,000 to $200,000 price range. You'll note that both properties are not actually in downtown LA.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/100000-200000_price/396-792_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/100000-500000_price/396-1982_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Downtown-Los-Angeles-CA/268118_rid/2-_beds/100000-500000_price/396-1982_mp/34.076123,-118.212204,34.010266,-118.298206_rect/12_zm/

So, essentially, it takes about $350,000 to get you into the one-bedroom market in downtown LA.

When talking about L.A., I was speaking in general for the city. Downtown L.A. is a hot market right now, nothing gets a nice place there for $100,000. They would probably look at you like you were crazy if you went to a realtor and asked for that, haha.

Leo the Dog
Dec 10, 2013, 5:48 PM

DTLA isn't even the most desired area, meaning $350k is a deal! I would assume that the HOA will be close to $500/month.

Ted Lyons
Dec 10, 2013, 6:51 PM
DTLA isn't even the most desired area, meaning $350k is a deal! I would assume that the HOA will be close to $500/month.

Yeah, I'd say at least that much. HOA fees were unstated in this article, IIRC, so I'm curious what they are here.

farmerk
Dec 14, 2013, 10:12 AM
I like to lit THE fire again.

This plan will NOT work. (http://www.nbcnews.com/id/53827152/ns/local_news-tucson_az/#.UqwuDPRDsgg)

Tucson needs at least more parkways, if not freeways. Crossing 22nd st is like crossing an interstate highway.

ProfessorMole
Dec 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
New money just came in for the McKale Center Renovation. Those pictures are looking pretty good for what is planned.

AZ Wildcats McKale Davis Money (http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30700&ATCLID=209342982)

farmerk
Dec 17, 2013, 12:44 AM
New money just came in for the McKale Center Renovation. Those pictures are looking pretty good for what is planned.

AZ Wildcats McKale Davis Money (http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30700&ATCLID=209342982)

It's at AZ Star (http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/college/wildcats/arizona-announces-million-renovation-of-mckale/article_79f1544e-669c-11e3-b582-0019bb2963f4.html) , also.

southtucsonboy77
Dec 18, 2013, 9:10 PM
ANOTHER developer is racing to beat the Outlet development on Twin Peaks Road. This new proposal would be off of Avra Valley Road. They are proposing a Summer 2014 start (6 months away...).

Link (http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=66784)

AWE Talisman (http://www.awetalisman.com/) is the company. Click on their link and you can see all the other outlet malls they've developed...and the stores they attract.

AustinBear
Dec 21, 2013, 1:16 AM
ANOTHER developer is racing to beat the Outlet development on Twin Peaks Road. This new proposal would be off of Avra Valley Road. They are proposing a Summer 2014 start (6 months away...).

Link (http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=66784)

AWE Talisman (http://www.awetalisman.com/) is the company. Click on their link and you can see all the other outlet malls they've developed...and the stores they attract.

SouthTucsonboy, thank you so much for posting that....that is just all kinds of kick ass with a side of awesome sauce. :D Made my holidays that much cheerier. Wish Austin could have finagled something like that.

Ritarancher
Dec 22, 2013, 3:53 AM
1023 N. Tyndall, the lot directly across from the Level, has been purchased by core campus, the developers of hub. The lot will probably be a 12 story tower, which is the largest allowed in the lot. http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/pay-raises-get-final-go-ahead-from-city-council/article_eb72e9e2-8b21-5f56-b7e1-5084c88a0827.html?mobile_touch=true

Here's another link to the Outlets at Tucson
http://m.azstarnet.com/business/local/pima-county-oks--plus-store-outlet-center-wildlife-corridor/article_cfdd1ddc-a23f-58a4-aab1-b75fbc62f03c.html?mobile_touch=true

As development springs back into full force in the Southeast side, here's a link from 20 years ago about development in the area.http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1994/02/07/223710-southeast-side-set-for-boom/

farmerk
Dec 26, 2013, 2:22 PM
1023 N. Tyndall, the lot directly across from the Level, has been purchased by core campus, the developers of hub. The lot will probably be a 12 story tower, which is the largest allowed in the lot. http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/pay-raises-get-final-go-ahead-from-city-council/article_eb72e9e2-8b21-5f56-b7e1-5084c88a0827.html?mobile_touch=true

I'm hoping that would be a non-student 'tower'. Nice find.

I can't wait to see the rendering of this 'tower' and since it's being built by the developers of the HUB, this will be another tearjerker development for me. ...I"m beginning to shed some tears right at this moment :wah:

btw, the One East Broadway complex is turning out to be a decent looking building.

InTheBurbs
Dec 27, 2013, 10:41 PM
More info on the proposed outlet mall at I-10 and Avra Valley Road...

From Inside Tucson Business

Marana area gets new outlet mall, Pima County gets $90M for wildlife corridor (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/marana-area-gets-new-outlet-mall-pima-county-gets-m/article_ceac20fe-6e62-11e3-abc8-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=storyhttp://)

An outlet mall developer with sights set on the Marana area has promised to set aside $89 million for a wildlife corridor between the Tucson and Tortolita mountains.

Florida-based AWE Talisman, which is expected to purchase 100 acres at the southwest corner of Avra Valley Road and Interstate 10 for the future home of a 100-store outlet mall, agreed to collect a 2 percent “environmental fee” — essentially, a sales tax — to keep the surrounding desert open for animals that use it to travel between the two mountain ranges.

The Pima County Board of Supervisors green-lighted the development agreement Dec. 17.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/insidetucsonbusiness.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/bf/2bfa6d2e-6e63-11e3-8671-001a4bcf887a/52bc825df3f25.image.jpg

Ritarancher
Dec 30, 2013, 9:57 PM
More info on the proposed outlet mall at I-10 and Avra Valley Road...

From Inside Tucson Business

Marana area gets new outlet mall, Pima County gets $90M for wildlife corridor (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/marana-area-gets-new-outlet-mall-pima-county-gets-m/article_ceac20fe-6e62-11e3-abc8-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=storyhttp://)

An outlet mall developer with sights set on the Marana area has promised to set aside $89 million for a wildlife corridor between the Tucson and Tortolita mountains.

Florida-based AWE Talisman, which is expected to purchase 100 acres at the southwest corner of Avra Valley Road and Interstate 10 for the future home of a 100-store outlet mall, agreed to collect a 2 percent “environmental fee” — essentially, a sales tax — to keep the surrounding desert open for animals that use it to travel between the two mountain ranges.

The Pima County Board of Supervisors green-lighted the development agreement Dec. 17.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/insidetucsonbusiness.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/bf/2bfa6d2e-6e63-11e3-8671-001a4bcf887a/52bc825df3f25.image.jpg

I have to say that I am looking forward to this. I'm tired of developers thinking that we need to drive to phoenix to shop

InTheBurbs
Dec 31, 2013, 3:41 PM
KVOA did a story on the proposed outlet malls yesterday..

2 outlet centers planned northwest of Tucson (http://www.kvoa.com/news/2-outlet-centers-planned-northwest-of-tucson/)

Patrick S
Jan 2, 2014, 8:35 PM
Pima County Fairgrounds racetrack could start construction next year, if county OKs (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/pima-county-fairgrounds-racetrack-could-start-construction-next-year-if/article_d38cefba-6e60-11e3-84d1-001a4bcf887a.html)

The first lighted open-wheel race course in the U.S. might begin construction near the Pima County Fairgrounds by late 2014 or early 2015, according to successful Tucson architect and lifelong racing enthusiast Richard “Andy Anderson. The county Board of Supervisors is expected to consider whether to approve the project in January.

The proposed Southern Arizona Raceway would be a class 2 certified track, meaning that it could be used by Indy Cars, NASCAR, sports cars, superbikes and just about anything with wheels other than Formula 1, which was the initial idea floated earlier this year.

Charles Quiroz, operator of the Musselman Honda Circuit, 11800 S. Harrison Road, and Anderson’s SAR project partner, said the strict regulations required for a Formula 1 certification would exponentially increase the cost of construction. Quiroz said the nation’s first Formula 1 track that opened in Austin, Texas, in 2012 cost a whopping $475 million to build and has much higher maintenance costs than the $15 million track Anderson has proposed.

SAR would be a 2.8-mile track with 14 turns and multiple track configurations. Anderson was a principal in the national architecture firm Anderson DeBartolo Pan, which designed the master plan for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, the 1994 World Cup, which was held in stadiums around the country with the final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., and multiple NFL Super Bowls.

After the big firm was sold, Anderson started his own firm in 1997 and had a hand in the redesign and renovation of Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, Calif., and several other tracks around the country.
But before he can start building a track, Pima County has to OK it first, since it will be built on county-owned land.

Tom Moulton, Pima County director of economic development, said a county selection committee is reviewing Anderson’s proposal, the sole bid on the county’s call for proposals. Anderson and Quiroz created Arizona International MotorSports Museum in 2012 to bid on the track. The committee recently sent Anderson a request for more information about the project and its business plan, Moulton said.

The project would be built in three phases over 10 years. The first phase will cost about $15 million to get the track open. Subsequent phases will add on additional facilities and seating and should end up costing $70 million at completion, Anderson said.

Anderson said he hopes the track will be drawing 250,000 visitors a year by the end of the third phase.
“We believe the methodology behind the business plan was well thought out,” Moulton said, adding that the partners spent three years consulting with other track owners and road courses around the country in developing the SAR plan.

Once all of its questions are answered, the selection committee will vote on when to start lease negotiations and if all goes well, Moulton said the bid could go before the Board of Supervisors in January.
County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry said he supports the raceway because it will make use of 400 acres of unused public land and since it’s a private investment, it won’t cost county taxpayers any money.

“That translates to economic development,” Huckelberry said. He added that should the operators fail to make their lease payments, which are expected to be about $140,000 a year, the county would inherit the improvements on the property at no cost.

The track is planned for land just south of the fairgrounds and adjacent to or near four existing race courses:

• Tucson Speedway, a three-quarter mile paved oval typically used for stock car racing.
• Merle’s Southwestern International Raceway, a 1.4-mile drag strip
• Musselman Honda Circuit, a paved circuit used by cars, motorcycles and go-karts.
• MC Motorsports Park, a dirt course with jumps used for motocross racing

The county chose the site because of its proximity to the other tracks and because of its distance from residential areas that might be concerned about noise, Moulton said.

Racing has been up and down the past decade, especially open-wheel racing, leading local critics to question whether the proposed track can attract enough fans to make it viable.

Big-time auto racing, like most industries, has been in decline the past few years, with NASCAR attendance off nearly 25 percent from its 2005 high, and IndyCar has struggled to rebuild the open wheel racing fan base after it formed out of the aftermath of the IRL CART split in the 1990s.

The one-mile oval Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale got its start and its claim to fame as the fastest one-mile oval in the world as an open-wheel course. But after the fall of CART, PIR has become home to two NASCAR Sprint Cup races every year.

Another Phoenix track, the multi-turn Firebird Raceway on the Gila River Indian Reservation near Chandler, closed in April after years of struggling to turn a profit.

The Musselman Honda Circuit regularly draws small crowds of about 200, Quiroz said, but when it hosts international events such as the Rotax Challenge of the Americas, go-kart racing’s premier event held the last weekend of January, the track can draw thousands of spectators.

“We think there’s ample people to support (SAR),” Anderson said.

He said about 1.3 percent of the U.S. population are race fans and SAR expects to draw most of its spectators from within a one-hour flight or two-hour drive radius, which would include Los Angeles and parts of northern Mexico.

“It would be a huge attraction,” Supervisor Ray Carroll said.

The fairgrounds are in Carroll’s district and he said some constituents have asked him about track’s noise potential.

“Sound can be a killer of a race track,” Quiroz said.

In fact, Anderson said most of his projects never come to fruition because of noise, traffic or light issues. But he said he also thinks the fairgrounds and existing tracks are “large and loud enough” that one more track couldn’t hurt.

Besides the track, the partners also plan for the track to have a racing school, host sports car clubs and an historic racing museum. Anderson said they’re also talking to the University of Arizona and technical schools about using the track to test engineering concepts. They’re also talking to auto manufacturers about using the track for testing.

“We feel like we’re going to bring a lot clean and high-tech industry into Tucson,” Quiroz said. “The engineering aspect is huge in what Andy and I are doing. It’s going to lead to a better and healthier environment.”

Patrick S
Jan 2, 2014, 8:47 PM
Realignment of Hughes Access Road (http://tibo.zxq.net/wordpress/?p=1476)

The project to move Hughes Access Rd. south is expected to begin by this summer. County officials are trying to get all the loose ends covered so there is no delay. The movement of the road south about a half mile to allow for many things, most important being allowing plenty of room for Raytheon to expand it’s operations. Tucson international Airport is also planning on building an additional 11,000 ft. runway with the extra space to accommodate the anticipated additional air traffic as the idea of the inland port of Tucson continues. A new 10 mile defense and aerospace corridor will also be made by possible the realignment. Pima County has allotted about $8 million for the project so far. The movement of the road will allow for more commerce to be directly connected to TIA and with the anticipated future plans for the Cities economy, that will be needed.

Ritarancher
Jan 4, 2014, 5:25 AM
Two outlet centers seems big for tucson. Most cities get one outlet center for every million of residents that they have. I think that we're really going to benefit from the close proximity of Mexico

ppdd
Jan 9, 2014, 6:35 PM
Two outlet centers seems big for tucson. Most cities get one outlet center for every million of residents that they have. I think that we're really going to benefit from the close proximity of Mexico

I find this a bit odd - the VF Outlet mall closed, the Foothills mall went away from the outlet concept, the Sierra Vista outlets are all over the place - and all in better economic times. I wonder what makes developers think we can successfully have two of these.

kaneui
Jan 9, 2014, 8:19 PM
As a belated holiday gift to the thread, I have made yet another update to my metro Tucson project list (see link below). Happy 2014!

Ted Lyons
Jan 9, 2014, 8:22 PM
Let's be honest, the VF outlets are an absolute joke. Also, I'm originally from Sierra Vista and I don't know what outlets you're referring to down there. Foothills mall is the only relatively direct comparison and I think it was mired by bad management for years. The fact that it only became an outlet mall after it failed as a real mall elucidates on that.

The economic input per year of the Mexican visitors targeted by these centers is in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not more. I'd be surprised if these places didn't make money as long as they're well managed.

Ted Lyons
Jan 9, 2014, 8:27 PM
The Daily Star ran an article about Potbelly opening three locations in Tucson over the next several months the other day. In searching for renderings of Next, I just stumbled upon this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487961017986173&set=a.281392501976360.66646.278169708965306&type=1&stream_ref=10

That's a good tenant to start out with and, hopefully, is indicative of what the mixed use buildings (Hub and Next) will bring to the neighborhood.

aznate27
Jan 10, 2014, 3:46 AM
As a belated holiday gift to the thread, I have made yet another update to my metro Tucson project list (see link below). Happy 2014!

THANKS!!!:cheers:

Ted Lyons
Jan 10, 2014, 4:55 AM

Don't know how I missed this earlier, but awesome!

farmerk
Jan 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
Kaneui, thanks for posting.

I like these. Tucson is moving forward ... finally! I want more!!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/f42b273d-6e53-4869-a7a2-75f882238eeb_zps023d8641.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/262f79ac-9179-4956-925d-fbeb86de0857_zpsebe9055b.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/625c9c34-b641-4587-821f-5161fed94286_zps29a40889.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/27cd3811-e80e-4cf1-a2ec-77bc565e24e2_zps73e38cde.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/87d16305-1f56-4263-b9a6-20e2a5f413d4_zps01c3ebbf.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/ee73b894-4f94-4523-abcb-5bbd2241dd7e_zps36fb5339.jpg

Thirsty
Jan 11, 2014, 1:58 AM
Kaneui, thanks for posting.

I like these. Tucson is moving forward ... finally! I want more!!

I think you mean upward. ;)

Qwijib0
Jan 13, 2014, 5:24 PM
The Daily Star ran an article about Potbelly opening three locations in Tucson over the next several months the other day. In searching for renderings of Next, I just stumbled upon this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487961017986173&set=a.281392501976360.66646.278169708965306&type=1&stream_ref=10

That's a good tenant to start out with and, hopefully, is indicative of what the mixed use buildings (Hub and Next) will bring to the neighborhood.

I just want LUCKY back :/

ppdd
Jan 13, 2014, 5:50 PM
Let's be honest, the VF outlets are an absolute joke. Also, I'm originally from Sierra Vista and I don't know what outlets you're referring to down there. Foothills mall is the only relatively direct comparison and I think it was mired by bad management for years. The fact that it only became an outlet mall after it failed as a real mall elucidates on that.

The economic input per year of the Mexican visitors targeted by these centers is in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not more. I'd be surprised if these places didn't make money as long as they're well managed.

Whoops, I meant Casa Grande, not Sierra Vista, sorry. The VF mall closed years ago.

aznate27
Jan 15, 2014, 4:18 PM
So I finally went to the Tucson page on Emporis.com (http://www.emporis.com/city/tucson-az-usa) and submitted Level, Hub and Next. The page is finally updated! If you guys create a profile they let you submit updates and changes to the page. If anyone has pics of one of the three buildings above you should submit it :tup:

Patrick S
Jan 16, 2014, 1:22 AM
Well, it's not Triple-A, or even Double or Single-A, heck, it's not even a league with teams affiliated with MLB teams, but it's still something.

Professional baseball could return to Tucson (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/professional-baseball-could-return-to-tucson/article_290083c3-e27e-532a-8ddd-10a9acb94ae5.html)

A minor league out of Texas is swinging for the fences in a bid to bring baseball back to Tucson this year.

The investor group behind an independent baseball league based in Texas has submitted a formal proposal to take over Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium, starting as early as next month.

John Bryant, chief executive officer of Reunion Sports LLC, said in a letter to County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry that a team with the United League Baseball could play as many as 72 games this year if a deal could be worked out.

“We wish to permanently locate an independent, minor-league professional baseball team in Tucson beginning in the 2014 season which would make its home at Kino Sports Complex,” wrote Bryant, shortly after touring the facility with county officials earlier this month.

The proposal offers the county-run stadium district roughly $72,000 for year-round occupancy of the team offices and seasonal use of the stadium.

Reunion Sports Group also wants to take over concessions at the stadium, offering the county 20 percent of the gross concession revenues.

The two-page letter also hints at the possibility of major-league baseball returning to Tucson, offering to pay the stadium district an additional $10,000 for every major-league exhibition game held at Kino Stadium.

It even contains a scaled-back proposal to essentially share the stadium with El Paso Chihuahuas, as the Triple A baseball team still has an existing lease with the county.

The team, formerly known as the Tucson Padres, has the option to play in Tucson for another season if its new stadium built in downtown El Paso isn’t ready for spring training.

The league offers to work around the “home” schedule of the El Paso team, playing as few as 48 games at Kino Stadium.

Bryant, who toured the stadium on Jan. 3, said the stadium is one of the nicest in the country his teams have access to.

He said the teams in the United League Baseball play in similarly sized markets but have access to much smaller stadiums.

Huckelberry said the county staff has reviewed the proposal and is working on a response.

Some possible sticking points could include the concessionaire license and handing over control of the stadium to a single group for the entire year.

The county has found some recent success in marketing the baseball stadium to other groups, mostly notably semi-professional soccer teams.

If the two sides can reach an agreement in principle, Huckelberry said a decision could go before the Pima County Board of Supervisors in a matter of weeks.

Greg Foster, a managing partner of FC Tucson, believes there is plenty of room inside the stadium district for both his semi-professional soccer club and the baseball team.

While not privy to the offer made by Reunion Sports, Foster said he welcomes the idea of the stadium finding a year-round new tenant.

He praised county stadium district officials for their ability to quickly convert the field at Kino Stadium to accommodate the schedules of both soccer and baseball teams.

His only concern, Foster said, was that he hopes the stadium will continue to be available for smaller groups, including local amateur sport teams.

Patrick S
Jan 16, 2014, 1:26 AM
So I finally went to the Tucson page on Emporis.com (http://www.emporis.com/city/tucson-az-usa) and submitted Level, Hub and Next. The page is finally updated! If you guys create a profile they let you submit updates and changes to the page. If anyone has pics of one of the three buildings above you should submit it :tup:

I took a look at the page, and not to quibble, but the little blurb says Tucson is surrounded by 5 mountain ranges, then only lists 4 of them - leaving out the Tucson Mountains to the West. It does say the Tortolitas are to the west, but I always thought they were more to the NorthWest.

aznate27
Jan 16, 2014, 1:48 AM
I took a look at the page, and not to quibble, but the little blurb says Tucson is surrounded by 5 mountain ranges, then only lists 4 of them - leaving out the Tucson Mountains to the West. It does say the Tortolitas are to the west, but I always thought they were more to the NorthWest.

I only updated those three buildings, they weren't even listed, but if you sign in you can send them correct info and stats on the city. The population number is wrong as well, it's over a million for Pima County, not Tucson.

Ritarancher
Jan 16, 2014, 3:44 AM
I stumbled upon a interesting article about a new apartment complex south of the UofA
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/neto-s-tucson-charming-tucson-home-in-danger-of-being/article_21a9df13-bea2-54b2-9f49-840d7a37da76.html

Neto's Tucson: Charming 1897 Tucson home in danger of being razed
In the Rincon Heights neighborhood, at the southeast corner of East 10th Street and North Mountain Avenue, sits an old, lovely home. While it is empty and in need of lots of TLC, the house still radiates yesterday’s charm and character.

The house was built in 1897, six years after the University of Arizona held its first class, and once was the residence of Clara Lee Tanner, a pioneering UA archaeologist and Native American art curator.

It’s the kind of residence that enabled the Rincon Heights neighborhood to gain, last February, designation on the National Register of Historic Places.

The neighborhood designation, however, does not protect the adobe ranch home at 1300 E. 10th St. from being razed. Unless it is bought, for the asking price of $400,000, the property owner is expected to build a large, two-story apartment complex for UA students.

To the neighbors, the planned project will scar Rincon Heights and burden it, but to the property owner, it’s a business decision.

“I understand we need to densify, but we need to do it the right way. That’s a challenge,” said Colby Henley, president of the Rincon Heights Neighborhood Association.

Henley, his neighbors and Ward 6 Councilman Steve Kozachik have had discussions with the property owner, Jarrett Reidhead of Tucson Integrity Realty, about preserving the property but to no avail.

Reidhead, a 35-year-old Marana resident, said he plans to tear down the two-bedroom, three-bath, 1,760-square-foot home and adjoining guest house. He then plans to erect four eight-bedroom residences, two stories high, with a pool in the middle, which will house at least 32 people and — if he wants to, because law allows him — up to 64.

“There is a university there and demand for housing,” said Reidhead, a 2003 UA grad who played on the Mountain View High School varsity basketball team.

And developing housing is his business, added Reidhead, who has a total of seven properties in Rincon Heights. Of the seven, three were remodeled and one was torn down, and of the other three, two will be demolished and the remaining one will be remodeled.

He said residents should pool their resources and buy and preserve coveted properties.

These two forces, neighborhood preservation and development, have long clashed in Tucson, especially around the university area, as well as in some of Tucson’s older downtown barrios.

While the city of Tucson has provided some protection for the pressured neighborhoods, and tax laws give owners of old homes some incentive to preserve their properties, these measures are not enough to retain historic structures and prevent multi-unit complexes from taking their place.

If the property owner meets the regulations and zoning requirements, the owner can bulldoze and build big. The result is the slow erosion of homes and structures, erasing the richness of Tucson’s history and character.

“We become a place that people are no longer interested in visiting because it looks like every other place,” said Gretchen Lueck, a resident in Rincon Heights who has also met with Reidhead.

In the petition for the national designation, the Tucson Historic Preservation Office wrote that Rincon Heights provided homes for families associated with the UA and the railroad.

“Interestingly, the lack of deed restrictions within Rincon Heights created a neighborhood with a high degree of racial, religious and ethnic diversity. Today, the neighborhood exhibits an eclectic mix of architectural styles ranging from American Territorial to mid-century Ranch homes.”

Jonathan Mabry, the city’s preservation officer, said the designation on the National Registry does not put any new regulations on the use of private property. In Tucson there are 34 neighborhoods designated on the registry. Rincon Heights is the most recent.

For six neighborhoods, the city has an “overlay,” which sets stricter regulations to make any significant changes to exteriors of historical structures, said Mabry. Rincon Heights doesn’t have the overlay.

It simply has a great location, just south of the UA and east of downtown, and it has what many people look for in its graceful character. It’s why Reidhead and other developers are looking to build apartments in Rincon Heights and other older areas.

The irony, of course, is that the development of large, out-of-character buildings will destroy the very charm that makes Rincon Heights special.
(Arizona Daily Star)

In my opinion, we need to densify, but not in Rincon Heights. I also see that the home is undesirable, for 400k I'd want a nicer home in the foothills. Looking at streetview on Google Maps, it's not a bad house, but it is across the street from a 2 story apartment complex. The complex across the street isn't the best looking building. Personally, I think that the best thing to do is to add the apartments, otherwise we'd have an unmaintained home rotting away.

Anqrew
Jan 16, 2014, 7:07 PM
In an Interview with Arizona Daily Wildcat, the Mayor said something that caught my attention:

"One of the issues for the community and university relations is the fact that the university does intend to grow its population over the next 10 years. The university is surrounded by these historic neighborhoods, and so when there wasn’t a place for students and they wanted to be close to the university, up came mini-dorms. It was controversial, but the building of the new university overlay district where we’re going to have four towers that will hold UA students has already taken the market out of the mini-dorms. We said, “Look, this is the solution to the mini-dorm problem. We can try and regulate mini-dorms out of existence, [but] the fact of the matter is those kids are going to be in your neighborhood having parties on Saturday night."

So... we have Hub, Next, and Level. I assume a 4th tower will begin construction this year in the spot next to Hub?

Full Article/Interview here: http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2014/01/mayor-rothschild-talks-city-plans-college-experience

Ted Lyons
Jan 16, 2014, 7:36 PM
In an Interview with Arizona Daily Wildcat, the Mayor said something that caught my attention:

"One of the issues for the community and university relations is the fact that the university does intend to grow its population over the next 10 years. The university is surrounded by these historic neighborhoods, and so when there wasn’t a place for students and they wanted to be close to the university, up came mini-dorms. It was controversial, but the building of the new university overlay district where we’re going to have four towers that will hold UA students has already taken the market out of the mini-dorms. We said, “Look, this is the solution to the mini-dorm problem. We can try and regulate mini-dorms out of existence, [but] the fact of the matter is those kids are going to be in your neighborhood having parties on Saturday night."

So... we have Hub, Next, and Level. I assume a 4th tower will begin construction this year in the spot next to Hub?

Full Article/Interview here: http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2014/01/mayor-rothschild-talks-city-plans-college-experience

That would be my assumption given the reports awhile back about the current owners selling that lot. Curious if that's moving along behind the scenes.

ProfessorMole
Jan 16, 2014, 7:42 PM
Came across this in my perusing of the interwebs. They didn't make their goal to build the first parklet in Tucson, but I love the idea and can think of numerous places these could be downtown and along fourth too.

Tucson's First Parklet via Tucson Velo (http://tucsonvelo.com/news/parklet/17781)

Ted Lyons
Jan 16, 2014, 9:37 PM
Came across this in my perusing of the interwebs. They didn't make their goal to build the first parklet in Tucson, but I love the idea and can think of numerous places these could be downtown and along fourth too.

Tucson's First Parklet via Tucson Velo (http://tucsonvelo.com/news/parklet/17781)

I don't know how Indiegogo works but they'll evidently get to keep the funds they did raise, which should cover the city application fees at least.

farmerk
Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 AM

"... we’re going to have four towers that will hold UA students ....."

Mr. Mayor, only 4 (F0uR) Towers ? :haha:

Let's see, more 'Towers' downtown (that's were you build them...look at other downtowns around the planet) vs whiny Neighborhood Associations (ILLEGAL Autocratic Delusional Associations) who are against virtually everything .

Mr. Mayor, FOCUS . The best way for Tucson to get out of it's continuing cycle of decline and poverty is URBANIZED and DENSIFY central Tucson....that includes building mini-dorms or better, 'towers' around these historic neighborhoods (most of them are ugly, btw :yuck: ) .

@Rita Rancher, I'd tear down that butt ugly slum looking 'historic' house and crossed our fingers that it will be replaced by a classic art deco mini-dorm . Those ugly apartments across and around it need to be replaced also!

Thirsty
Jan 18, 2014, 1:51 AM
Mr. Mayor, only 4 (F0uR) Towers ? :haha:

Let's see, more 'Towers' downtown (that's were you build them...look at other downtowns around the planet) vs whiny Neighborhood Associations (ILLEGAL Autocratic Delusional Associations) who are against virtually everything .

Mr. Mayor, FOCUS . The best way for Tucson to get out of it's continuing cycle of decline and poverty is URBANIZED and DENSIFY central Tucson....that includes building mini-dorms or better, 'towers' around these historic neighborhoods (most of them are ugly, btw :yuck: ) .

@Rita Rancher, I'd tear down that butt ugly slum looking 'historic' house and crossed our fingers that it will be replaced by a classic art deco mini-dorm . Those ugly apartments across and around it need to be replaced also!

I think you misunderstand the term "mini-dorm" They aren't small apartment complexes.

Mini-dorms refer to the 2-3 bdrm houses investors buy to gut, throw up some extra walls and/or add on a large cinder-block addition so they can fit a dozen or so students into these lots intended for single-family homes.

Oftentimes landscaping is pulled out so the yard can be used for parking. These Franken-houses are done as cheaply as possible and it shows on the outside too.

That is what the mayor is hoping the new 14-story housing in the overlay district and downtown will put an end to.

farmerk
Jan 18, 2014, 8:05 AM
I think you misunderstand the term "mini-dorm" They aren't small apartment complexes.

Mini-dorms refer to the 2-3 bdrm houses investors buy to gut, throw up some extra walls and/or add on a large cinder-block addition so they can fit a dozen or so students into these lots intended for single-family homes.

Oftentimes landscaping is pulled out so the yard can be used for parking. These Franken-houses are done as cheaply as possible and it shows on the outside too.

That is what the mayor is hoping the new 14-story housing in the overlay district and downtown will put an end to.

I was being sarcastic. I agree with you and the mayor, I'd prefer 'towers' than those cookie cutter mini-dorms. In fact, any cookie cutter strip mall looking development should be banned in Tucson.

Not against mini-dorms , it's the cookie cutter architecture that bothers me. There are some mini-dorms around the U of A that have been around for a long time and they look nice.

As for apartment complexes around the U of A, I can't think of one that I find architecturally attractive. Those need to be replaced also.

Qwijib0
Jan 18, 2014, 3:56 PM
Well, it's not Triple-A, or even Double or Single-A, heck, it's not even a league with teams affiliated with MLB teams, but it's still something.

Professional baseball could return to Tucson (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/professional-baseball-could-return-to-tucson/article_290083c3-e27e-532a-8ddd-10a9acb94ae5.html)

We did a story on this possibility, and the 'league' is still having huge financial difficulties.

https://news.azpm.org/p/news-fp-featured/2014/1/17/29661-new-group-proposes-pro-baseball-in-tucson/

I think that trying to bring baseball back is silly-- nobody is going to sit in 95 degree weather to watch not-major-league teams. The future of Kino is soccer imo.

bthom3000
Jan 22, 2014, 4:15 PM
Looks like Yard House is going in at Park Mall where Z Gallerie used to be.

ProfessorMole
Jan 22, 2014, 6:39 PM
While we're on the baseball talk, here's the live feed for the Chihuahua's new digs in downtown El Paso.

Stadium Live Feed (http://elpaso.click2stream.com/)

EDIT: The Chihuahua's aren't the only baseball team getting the golden treatment in El Paso, either.
Diablo's get deal for Becker Stadium (http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/joplin-council-approves-lease-baseball-stadium-3246.shtml)

Anqrew
Jan 23, 2014, 8:04 PM
Not Huge News... but I'm not surprised that the rent for the spot is going up, I'm sure many people have been eyeing this spot for something to really solidify 5th and Congress. Tavern doesn't really fit into that blocks "demographic" as the owner touches on in the article. Another great restaurant would be great, but I'm also hoping for some sort of Retail to balance the block out, I guess we will see in a year.

Downtown's District Tavern Looking to Relocate in 2015
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/binary/35c3/1390428910-223010_201426549911622_3243284_n.jpg
Photo courtesy of The District Tavern Facebook page.

District Tavern owner Noël Chester tells The Range this afternoon that the downtown tavern will celebrate its 10th anniversary by relocating in 2015 after she learned that her rent would be going up next year.

Chester said that she couldn't justify paying $28 a square foot for an establishment that lacks air conditioning, water pressure and a walk-in freezer. The bar suffered a 30 percent decrease in business since the closing of Fourth Avenue underpass, fencing down East Congress for the streetcar construction that began in 2012.

But she's still profitable and hopes to continue to be successful somewhere in South Tucson, where rents are lower.

"I'm in the black and I'm blessed," Chester said.

Chester has expressed unhappiness with the city and foreseen the day would have to relocate.

Chester says establishments like The District, that cater to a certain demographic downtown, are being "systematically decimated."

The building is owned by Scott Stiteler, who did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2014/01/22/downtowns-district-tavern-looking-to-relocate-in-2015

Anqrew
Jan 23, 2014, 8:10 PM

Haven't heard of the Restaurant but I'm really glad Park Place is getting a new sit down restaurant, its definitely needed and I think will energize the streetscape area of the Mall. It should also be noted that near Park Place on Broadway is another restaurant being constructed called Longhorn Steakhouse. both of these are each of the companies first restaurants for the Tucson region, which speaks well of Tucson I think.

Ted Lyons
Jan 23, 2014, 9:20 PM
Not Huge News... but I'm not surprised that the rent for the spot is going up, I'm sure many people have been eyeing this spot for something to really solidify 5th and Congress. Tavern doesn't really fit into that blocks "demographic" as the owner touches on in the article. Another great restaurant would be great, but I'm also hoping for some sort of Retail to balance the block out, I guess we will see in a year.

I had heard from some pretty direct sources that the rent increase was strategic for the exact reasons you outline.

Ted Lyons
Jan 23, 2014, 9:22 PM

Pretty exciting news for Park Place. I'm kind of surprised Yard House didn't look for a more central location - they have locations in many downtowns, not that I necessarily want that here - but malls are also common for them.

EDIT - On a side note, Yard House is owned by Darden who also own Longhorn Steakhouse, which is going up across the street from Park Place.

southtucsonboy77
Jan 24, 2014, 4:22 PM
If anyone has ventured to the Univ. of Phx Stadium or Glendale Arena for some sports or concerts...the Yardhouse is featured in the Westgate Entertainment Distrct.

Glad to have one here in Tucson.

southtucsonboy77
Jan 24, 2014, 4:25 PM
...and to catch up on a previous post:

I LOVE POTBELLY'S!!! When I visit east, I always reserve one lunch meal at Potbelly's. I was introduced to it in Washington, D.C. I've since eaten there while in NYC and Chicago. My wife loved it. Can't wait.

Anqrew
Jan 28, 2014, 4:35 AM
continuing on the restaurant discussion... When will Pizzeria Bianco finally open? last i heard was february but still don't think theres been an official date?

southtucsonboy77
Jan 28, 2014, 8:11 PM
I think this has been stated before in a different interview, but here's a more recent article (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/23/az-cox-downtowntucson-idUSnPnLAm6dzM+161+PRN20140123).

This paragraph caught my eye:

According to Keith, "The frenetic pace of new business development parallels the commitment by Cox and others that have supported the unprecedented investment along the Modern Streetcar corridor. There is a new emerging workforce in an urban center that is demanding faster data and expanded phone and video services, and Cox made an enormous capital investment to provide that service." He points to five new restaurants and clubs, new retail, a new boutique hotel, a 44-room luxury apartment building and a 300+ multifamily complex opening on the west side planned for early this year as evidence of the renaissance for which Cox Business helped lay the foundation.

andrewsaturn
Jan 30, 2014, 12:07 AM
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/new-plans-in-the-works-for-ua-tech-parks/article_86e51de8-de4e-5d8b-a51c-ce48b3d0539a.html

Project leaders of UA Tech parks are reinventing as well as revising their efforts for building a more successful strategy to lure tech companies to the parks. Leaders will name their project simply as Tech Park Arizona . As we know we have two parks, one called UA Tech Park (which houses companies like raytheon and IBM) and UA biosciences park (which currently only has retail wholesalers Costco and walmart). The UA biosciences park, which will undergo a name change as well, failed to find an anchor biotech company and leaders are hoping to broaden their search for some kind of a tech firm to come to the Site. There is good news for that Site, however, as construction for a housing project will soon begin.

Ted Lyons
Jan 30, 2014, 2:39 AM
continuing on the restaurant discussion... When will Pizzeria Bianco finally open? last i heard was february but still don't think theres been an official date?

Sure you saw this today, but there's definitely been progress.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1622859_10151836989576436_608737715_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151836989576436&set=a.10151296428766436.1073741825.152725586435&type=1&theater

Anqrew
Jan 30, 2014, 5:34 AM
Sure you saw this today, but there's definitely been progress.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151836989576436&set=a.10151296428766436.1073741825.152725586435&type=1&theater

Yes! thank you! i was also on Congress earlier and saw in person, looks nice so far, excited for that space to come to life!

Qwijib0
Jan 30, 2014, 10:41 PM
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/new-plans-in-the-works-for-ua-tech-parks/article_86e51de8-de4e-5d8b-a51c-ce48b3d0539a.html

Project leaders of UA Tech parks are reinventing as well as revising their efforts for building a more successful strategy to lure tech companies to the parks. Leaders will name their project simply as Tech Park Arizona . As we know we have two parks, one called UA Tech Park (which houses companies like raytheon and IBM) and UA biosciences park (which currently only has retail wholesalers Costco and walmart). The UA biosciences park, which will undergo a name change as well, failed to find an anchor biotech company and leaders are hoping to broaden their search for some kind of a tech firm to come to the Site. There is good news for that Site, however, as construction for a housing project will soon begin.

The biotech park pads are sort of a terrible size-- I know of one smallish firm that was looking to move there and start a manufacturing line and there wasn't enough space. If a startup looking for the next expansion can't even fit, what's the incentive for a startup in it's infancy to move there knowing that as soon as they grow they'll have to split campuses or move. It's not close enough to another bio-hub to attract startups to be close to other tech firms either.

aznate27
Feb 2, 2014, 4:27 AM
So driving into downtown from Aviation Highway you can clearly see the new student housing going up in the Iron Horse Neighborhood. It's only four stories, but driving in it has the illusion of looking taller...

Ted Lyons
Feb 4, 2014, 2:13 PM
Add another restaurant to the Next Level building on Park.

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/tucson-to-get-five-pizza-studio-restauranqts/article_c9b2e228-8d2e-11e3-a6bd-0019bb2963f4.html

An upstart California fast-casual pizza chain is booming into the Tucson market with plans to open at least five locations over the next three years.

The Pizza Studio’s maiden Tucson restaurant could open as early as June at 1031 N. Park Ave., in the center of a cluster of University of Arizona student housing complexes. The restaurant will be next door to the former home of a Domino’s pizza shop, near East Speedway.

southtucsonboy77
Feb 5, 2014, 8:52 PM
Pretty neat. I love these throwback facade improvements. I still think the Pioneer could use this...

Article link (http://www.downtowntucson.org/2014/02/city-high-school-unveil-new-facade/).

Patrick S
Feb 7, 2014, 2:49 PM
I don't know if anyone caught either the 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock version of KOLD News last night, but they were talking about the I-10 widening project from Prince to Ruthrauff.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/24656720/i-10prince-construction-nearly-complete-more-construction-waiting-in-the-wings

They talked about the future widening project from Ina to Ruthrauff (to 4 lanes but wide enough to be made into 5 lanes at a future date), but they mentioned something I didn't know was in the works. They mentioned that the interstate would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Ajo Way. I-10 really needs to be widened to the southeast of Tucson. When I get on the interstate at Valencia it is a pain - as it is sometimes all but impossible to merge onto the interstate due to heavy traffic. It's only 2 lanes there and needs to be widened to at least 3 lanes all the way out to at least Houghton, if not further (I would say out to the Vail area). At least they're planning on making it 4 lanes further south.

I do know that the state is currently doing studies to see about the feasibility of widening I-10 from Ina to Tangerine Rd. and about widening it further south (or just utilizing SR-210, Aviation Highway, more - but as convenient as this road may be it is no substitute for a better and expanded I-10), but these studies won't be complete until later this year. All this info can be found on the AZ DOT website: http://www.azdot.gov/projects/south-central

aznate27
Feb 7, 2014, 5:06 PM
I don't know if anyone caught either the 5 o'clock or 6 o'clock version of KOLD News last night, but they were talking about the I-10 widening project from Prince to Ruthrauff.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/24656720/i-10prince-construction-nearly-complete-more-construction-waiting-in-the-wings

They talked about the future widening project from Ina to Ruthrauff (to 4 lanes but wide enough to be made into 5 lanes at a future date), but they mentioned something I didn't know was in the works. They mentioned that the interstate would be widened to 4 lanes all the way to Ajo Way. I-10 really needs to be widened to the southeast of Tucson. When I get on the interstate at Valencia it is a pain - as it is sometimes all but impossible to merge onto the interstate due to heavy traffic. It's only 2 lanes there and needs to be widened to at least 3 lanes all the way out to at least Houghton, if not further (I would say out to the Vail area). At least they're planning on making it 4 lanes further south.

I do know that the state is currently doing studies to see about the feasibility of widening I-10 from Ina to Tangerine Rd. and about widening it further south (or just utilizing SR-210, Aviation Highway, more - but as convenient as this road may be it is no substitute for a better and expanded I-10), but these studies won't be complete until later this year. All this info can be found on the AZ DOT website: http://www.azdot.gov/projects/south-central

They're in the studies phase of the plan to widen I-10 from Kino to Valencia Rd. The plan also includes connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway. If you go on ADOT's website there's more info. The plan also includes a new free flow interchange at I-10 and Alvernon. That's where I'm guessing Tucson's next "stack" will be.

Patrick S
Feb 7, 2014, 5:33 PM
They're in the studies phase of the plan to widen I-10 from Kino to Valencia Rd. The plan also includes connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway. If you go on ADOT's website there's more info. The plan also includes a new free flow interchange at I-10 and Alvernon. That's where I'm guessing Tucson's next "stack" will be.
Yeah, I knew about the study of widening I-10 to Valencia and/or connecting Aviation Hwy to the freeway (purchasing the land for it and planning ahead for it is part of the RTA). I provided a link to the ADOT website and it's all in the plan there titled, "I-10 and SR 210 Feasibility Study", but what the report on KOLD makes it seem is that widening I-10 to 4 lanes south do Ajo Way is already planned for, not still being studied. I was also saying that in my opinion, though connecting Aviation Hwy (SR 210) to I-10 isn't a bad idea, and may be a good idea, but it isn't a substitution for widening I-10 to at least 3 lanes. Doing that all the way to Valencia is a good start, but it needs to be done all the way to at least Houghton, if not Vail. The southeast side is probably the 2nd fastest growing part of the metro area, after the northwest side (Marana, Oro Valley). If you look at maps of the city limits of Tucson there is a huge area extending down Houghton to the southeast of the urban part of the city that is within the city limits. Though it might take a few decades to really get going (the southern part of Houghton, but still north of I-10 is just getting going again) with construction, that will be built on some day in the future. Prepare for it now so we aren't behind the curve yet again.

Patrick S
Feb 8, 2014, 4:04 AM
Just a heads up, but the Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is preparing their Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) that will extend until 2045. You can currently take a survey using the PAG website: http://www.pagnet.org/tabid/1136/Default.aspx. I did it and would encourage everyone on here to do the same.

aznate27
Feb 8, 2014, 6:35 PM
Just a heads up, but the Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is preparing their Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) that will extend until 2045. You can currently take a survey using the PAG website: http://www.pagnet.org/tabid/1136/Default.aspx. I did it and would encourage everyone on here to do the same.

Thanks for posting. Pretty good survey. I especially like that you can see the results at the end. I was surprised to see more women than men had taken the survey so far.