PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

southtucsonboy77
Jan 30, 2020, 2:05 AM
A portion of the article...

“...Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.”

I told you. :)

Ted Lyons
Jan 30, 2020, 3:00 AM
A portion of the article...

“...Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.”

I told you. :)

You got a link?

southtucsonboy77
Jan 30, 2020, 3:13 AM
I got it from the Rio Nuevo email update.

chenley333
Jan 30, 2020, 8:49 PM
Update on 75 E. Broadway

From Rio Nuevo email 1/29/20

Work at 75 E. Broadway could soon recommence after the Rio Nuevo Board reached an agreement with the developers of the mixed-use project planned for the site.

Last year, the Board learned that JE Dunn, the original developer/general contractor, wanted to transfer its ownership share to its co-developer Dabdoub Schwabe Properties. Marcel Dabdoub said that an agreement had been reached with a Boston-based lender to provide the funding for such a transfer. The Board unanimously voted to give the group a 60-day extension, beyond the original deadline of Jan. 31, to finalize the deal.

Dabdoub said the potential investors have expressed a desire to increase the size of the development at East Broadway Boulevard and South Sixth Avenue, and that it could reach 19 stories. Plans are for two floors of retail, five to seven parking levels with about 350 parking spaces, five floors of office space and two to four floors for residential.

chenley333
Jan 30, 2020, 8:50 PM
Ha sorry for the duplication - just saw this posted above

somethingfast
Jan 30, 2020, 9:49 PM
Would definitely liked to see a new tallest but a 2nd tallest ain't bad - hope this moves forward !

Ted Lyons
Feb 5, 2020, 4:39 PM
Rio Nuevo has a special meeting today regarding the Nor-Gen fiasco. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

crzyabe
Feb 5, 2020, 8:47 PM
Rio Nuevo has a special meeting today regarding the Nor-Gen fiasco. Will be interesting to see what comes of that.

That project really keeps my interest. It seems like there is so much potential being squandered with empty lots and cheap event tents. I hope the board holds Nor Gen accountable for accepting project and doing nothing with it for 5+ years

southtucsonboy77
Feb 6, 2020, 2:59 AM
KGUN 9 reported on the Special Mtg. Basically the Board agreed to have Nor-Gen present at the next meeting in a couple of weeks to get an update. Rio Nuevo has a lawsuit on standby.

andrewsaturn
Feb 6, 2020, 5:18 AM
That project really keeps my interest. It seems like there is so much potential being squandered with empty lots and cheap event tents. I hope the board holds Nor Gen accountable for accepting project and doing nothing with it for 5+ years

I think they would have to pay Rio Nuevo $2 million for not having something developed by a certain date which happens to be this year, I believe.

Ted Lyons
Feb 6, 2020, 4:29 PM
KGUN 9 reported on the Special Mtg. Basically the Board agreed to have Nor-Gen present at the next meeting in a couple of weeks to get an update. Rio Nuevo has a lawsuit on standby.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/rio-nuevo-tries-to-un-stick-stalled-development

The statement from the Nor-Gen attorney stands out to me:

An attorney for the developer sent a statement saying they will not be commenting right now other than to say they are focused on addressing concerns on both sides and coming up with a solution that benefits all sides and the community.

This language tells me Norville is already taking an adversarial stance. I still think his bid was premised on his ability to use the land for his tent show for a few years and he had no plans to ever develop it.

Azstar
Feb 6, 2020, 10:52 PM
Here's a link to the story: https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/rio-nuevo-tries-to-un-stick-stalled-development

The statement from the Nor-Gen attorney stands out to me:

This language tells me Norville is already taking an adversarial stance. I still think his bid was premised on his ability to use the land for his tent show for a few years and he had no plans to ever develop it.

He was awarded the development rights by the Tucson City Council. At the time, I said his proposal was mostly smoke and mirrors and not realistic or viable and he should not have been granted the rights. The City Council was bamboozled by the fancy presentation and flashy photos, without any insight or knowledge of a legitimate vetting process. This would not have happened if Rio Nuevo had been in control at that time.

crzyabe
Feb 6, 2020, 10:56 PM
He was awarded the development rights by the Tucson City Council. At the time, I said his proposal was mostly smoke and mirrors and not realistic or viable and he should not have been granted the rights. The City Council was bamboozled by the fancy presentation and flashy photos, without any insight or knowledge of a legitimate vetting process.

I thought Nor Gen was awarded through the Rio Nuevo Board. If I remember correctly, a board member quit over the awarding of the project to Nor Gen. Or some other controversy occurred

Azstar
Feb 6, 2020, 11:07 PM
I thought Nor Gen was awarded through the Rio Nuevo Board. If I remember correctly, a board member quit over the awarding of the project to Nor Gen. Or some other controversy occurred

You might be right, since Rio Nuevo was established in 1999. At first, it was administered by the Tucson City Council until they squandered almost $200 million with nothing to show for it. The State forced the City Council out before more money was wasted.

Ted Lyons
Feb 7, 2020, 4:25 PM
You might be right, since Rio Nuevo was established in 1999. At first, it was administered by the Tucson City Council until they squandered almost $200 million with nothing to show for it. The State forced the City Council out before more money was wasted.

It was the current iteration of RN, but with a few holdover board members (critically, Alberto Moore), that awarded the bid to Norville in 2014. My hope is that the current board's prerogative is to let the deal lapse, come to some sort of settlement with Norville regarding the penalty, and move on to another RFP.

Ted Lyons
Feb 12, 2020, 4:17 PM
There's a townhome development at the northeast corner of 17th and Stone in front of the Historical Commission's Plans Review Subcommittee this week. It's nice infill but nothing too exciting. However, it got me thinking about the old gas station at the southwest corner of that same intersection so I looked it up on PRO. Turns out, R+R Develop (the developers behind the Trinity project) submitted a request for preapplication review in August 2019 for a three-floor mixed use project.

https://i.imgur.com/MMnRxzv.png?1

Combined with the above-mentioned townhomes, The Baffert, 18 W 18, and the Pueblo Vida project, there'll be a ton of activity around Five Points.

EDIT - Intersection corrected.

crzyabe
Feb 12, 2020, 4:44 PM
There's a townhome development at the northeast corner of 17th and 6th in front of the Historical Commission's Plans Review Subcommittee this week. It's nice infill but nothing too exciting. However, it got me thinking about the old gas station at the southwest corner of that same intersection so I looked it up on PRO. Turns out, R+R Develop (the developers behind the Trinity project) submitted a request for preapplication review in August 2019 for a three-floor mixed use project.

Combined with the above-mentioned townhomes, The Baffert, 18 W 18, and the Pueblo Vida project, there'll be a ton of activity around Five Points.

Northeast corner of 6th and 17th? Are they tearing down Roy's?

Also in regards to the 5 Points project, dont forget about the Flash project at 6th and 19th

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mfOZ2adP-s8/XkQq-joR99I/AAAAAAAAFyY/gqLFyok33JkBhRxVxVGC4IxFNOCieF7ZwCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-02-12.jpg

azsunsurfer
Feb 12, 2020, 4:54 PM
That's unfortunate if they are going to tear down all those historic homes

Ted Lyons
Feb 12, 2020, 9:08 PM
Northeast corner of 6th and 17th? Are they tearing down Roy's?

Also in regards to the 5 Points project, dont forget about the Flash project at 6th and 19th

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mfOZ2adP-s8/XkQq-joR99I/AAAAAAAAFyY/gqLFyok33JkBhRxVxVGC4IxFNOCieF7ZwCK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-02-12.jpg

Make that Stone & 17th.

Ted Lyons
Feb 12, 2020, 9:35 PM
In other news, UA has a lease agreement for the first building at the Tech Park at The Bridges up for approval at ABOR this week.

https://uaatwork.arizona.edu/sites/default/files/images/Bridges-illustration.jpg

https://uaatwork.arizona.edu/lqp/lease-agreements-tech-parks-maricopa-agricultural-center-abor-agenda

Across the way from this building, more land is being graded for The Marketplace at The Bridges. Permit-wise, the only thing I can find is an application for a Circle K fronting Kino, but there are several other pads in the area being graded.

crzyabe
Feb 12, 2020, 9:48 PM
Make that Stone & 17th.

What's funny is that when you said 17th and 6th and mentioned that Southwest corner, I checked that lot in Pro. It had a Dev package submitted in December for a new two story building as well. Not a lot of details yet

:haha:

Ted Lyons
Feb 12, 2020, 11:01 PM
What's funny is that when you said 17th and 6th and mentioned that Southwest corner, I checked that lot in Pro. It had a Dev package submitted in December for a new two story building as well. Not a lot of details yet

:haha:

Wow. That area's hot right now. I think the real money to be made (and improvement to be made) is south of 18th.

Eapiwo
Feb 27, 2020, 1:28 AM
https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/stalled-downtown-high-rise-reviving

This KGUN 9 story seems to verify the rumors that 75 E Broadway will be 19 stories. No new renderings were available but hopefully they'll be out soon.

Azstar
Feb 27, 2020, 2:52 PM

This KGUN 9 story seems to verify the rumors that 75 E Broadway will be 19 stories. No new renderings were available but hopefully they'll be out soon.

"Board chair Fletcher McCusker says they just need to finalize the way to pay for it."

"We're waiting for a lender commitment so, we have a lender term sheet but it's not a binding commitment."

Hmmm, seems like a pretty big obstacle to overcome. Lenders are not lining up to finance downtown Tucson projects.

Dadedos
Feb 27, 2020, 4:20 PM
Is there any update on the Nor-Gen site?

Ted Lyons
Feb 27, 2020, 5:38 PM
"Board chair Fletcher McCusker says they just need to finalize the way to pay for it."

"We're waiting for a lender commitment so, we have a lender term sheet but it's not a binding commitment."

Hmmm, seems like a pretty big obstacle to overcome. Lenders are not lining up to finance downtown Tucson projects.

A term sheet indicates the agreement has already been negotiated between the parties, not that the party seeking financing has just put out a request for money. So, assuming the lenders don't back out (which could obviously happen), they're just waiting for their attorneys to finalize the contract.

crzyabe
Feb 28, 2020, 7:55 PM
Is there any update on the Nor-Gen site?

I can't find any update on what was discussed regarding the Nor-Gen development. I thought we would finally get some news on a path forward.

somethingfast
Feb 28, 2020, 8:07 PM

Good news but I can't imagine funding coming through w/o a significant chunk pre-leased given the tail of the economic boom we're in. Anyone know if there is a commitment in place?

Patrick S
Feb 29, 2020, 12:13 AM
After a very long wait, the U of A has broken ground on the first building at the Tech Park at the Bridges

University of Arizona Breaks Ground for New Tech Park at The Bridges (https://realestatedaily-news.com/university-of-arizona-breaks-ground-for-new-tech-park-at-the-bridges/)

Ted Lyons
Feb 29, 2020, 4:42 AM
After a very long wait, the U of A has broken ground on the first building at the Tech Park at the Bridges

University of Arizona Breaks Ground for New Tech Park at The Bridges (https://realestatedaily-news.com/university-of-arizona-breaks-ground-for-new-tech-park-at-the-bridges/)

Not mentioned in the RED News article but UA has an agreement with HSL to build a four-floor 100-room Marriott-branded hotel (I'd guess Fairfield or Springhill Suites level) next to the new building. The Daily Star had an article about that today.

kaneui
Mar 7, 2020, 6:51 AM
The recently revised RendezVous website provides some info. on what their new downtown apartment rates will be. With 12 floor plans ranging from 700-1300 s.f. on floors 1-4, their rates are $2.80/s.f. for all units except for the largest one, which is $3.00/s.f. (rather odd, since smaller units are usually more per square foot). The website states there are only 32 units available (out of 104 for the whole building), so either some are already taken on the lower floors, or it's just a marketing ploy to give the sense of limited supply.

I'm guessing they'll gauge the response to this initial offering before putting out prices for the more expensive units on floors 5 and 6. So, $3,900/mo. for 1,300 s.f. - any takers out there? Time will tell...

https://www.rendezvousurbanflats.com/floorplans

Dadedos
Mar 7, 2020, 8:32 PM
Today the crane for Aspire 2 is going up.

Ted Lyons
Mar 9, 2020, 4:26 PM
The recently revised RendezVous website provides some info. on what their new downtown apartment rates will be. With 12 floor plans ranging from 700-1300 s.f. on floors 1-4, their rates are $2.80/s.f. for all units except for the largest one, which is $3.00/s.f. (rather odd, since smaller units are usually more per square foot). The website states there are only 32 units available (out of 104 for the whole building), so either some are already taken on the lower floors, or it's just a marketing ploy to give the sense of limited supply.

I'm guessing they'll gauge the response to this initial offering before putting out prices for the more expensive units on floors 5 and 6. So, $3,900/mo. for 1,300 s.f. - any takers out there? Time will tell...

https://www.rendezvousurbanflats.com/floorplans

A lot of the rates around UA are slightly over $2.00/sf so, while inflated, I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Patrick S
Mar 20, 2020, 12:33 AM
Some news on the Bautista

A riverwalk is planned for Tucson's west side as part of a retail, housing project (https://tucson.com/business/a-riverwalk-is-planned-for-tucson-s-west-side-as/article_7bab4e8a-c762-58d9-acc6-9e729a2c769f.html)

Mark H
Mar 20, 2020, 3:14 AM
First off, thank you to everyone who keeps posting updates on this thread - it’s great stuff and is appreciated. To the extent that I get the jump on info before I see it here - which doesn’t happen too often - I’ll be better about sharing it.

Second, the big old elephant in the room is whether the likely strong recession brought about by COVID-19 throws water on projects like 75 E Broadway or The Bautista. In the long run these two (and others) are great projects, seem to be financially-sound decisions/are good investments, and check the “location, location, location” box. With that said, in the short term, it isn’t clear to me whether these projects and others that have yet to break ground are good to press on or whether we’re looking at a hiatus. Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

crzyabe
Mar 20, 2020, 4:59 PM
First off, thank you to everyone who keeps posting updates on this thread - it’s great stuff and is appreciated. To the extent that I get the jump on info before I see it here - which doesn’t happen too often - I’ll be better about sharing it.

Second, the big old elephant in the room is whether the likely strong recession brought about by COVID-19 throws water on projects like 75 E Broadway or The Bautista. In the long run these two (and others) are great projects, seem to be financially-sound decisions/are good investments, and check the “location, location, location” box. With that said, in the short term, it isn’t clear to me whether these projects and others that have yet to break ground are good to press on or whether we’re looking at a hiatus. Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was thinking about that same thing. I dont have any particular insight, but I have to believe this puts a damper on movement for these projects. I also think this will give Nor-Gen some breathing room on the Arena site

Azstar
Mar 21, 2020, 2:31 PM
I also think this will give Nor-Gen some breathing room on the Arena site

I don't think the Nor-Gen project would have been completed even without the recession.

crzyabe
Mar 22, 2020, 1:35 PM
I don't think the Nor-Gen project would have been completed even without the recession.

Right. They will use this as an excuse to avoid penalties they should be paying

kaneui
Mar 31, 2020, 1:35 AM
On Thursday's Buckmaster Show, Jim Tofel of Tofel Dent Construction noted that funding for all of their hotel projects in the pipeline has been pulled, which doesn't bode well for proposed Tucson hotels, including the Hyatt Regency and One South Church conversions in downtown, as well as the Tech Park at The Bridges hotel.

On another note, tomorrow's Rio Nuevo board meeting has been postponed until April 8 in honor of County Supervisor Richard Elias, who died unexpectedly over the weekend.

Azstar
Apr 8, 2020, 5:42 PM
Since Rio Nuevo is funded primarily (if not completely) by sales tax revenues, which, I'm sure, have pretty much evaporated, what are the chances they will be able to continue with projects like the TCC Music Hall renovation, and other Rio Nuevo funded projects?

crzyabe
Apr 9, 2020, 1:15 AM
Since Rio Nuevo is funded primarily (if not completely) by sales tax revenues, which, I'm sure, have pretty much evaporated, what are the chances they will be able to continue with projects like the TCC Music Hall renovation, and other Rio Nuevo funded projects?

I was able to listen into the first hour of today's Rio Nuevo meeting. They mentioned that their income over the next 4 months will be close to zero. I did not hear any cancellations, but I imagine that mitigation strategies will be needed.

Additionally, I saw Nor-Gen's presentation. They are proposing a 4500ish seat arena on about 25% of the site. Pretty underwhelming. It appears the tent skeleton on Cushing will remain for some time.

kaneui
Apr 9, 2020, 4:43 AM

From the bits and pieces I was able to watch of today's board meeting:

1. In response to your question, Fletcher McCusker reminded everyone that the TCC improvements already have their own financing and are not dependent on TIFF revenues. Phil Swaim noted that the TCC projects will now be accelerated, since most events there have been cancelled for the immediate future.

2. I saw parts of the rather lame proposal from Nor-Gen, but not sure what the board did with it. I would hope they would reject it, hit Norville with the fines he owes as specified in the development agreement, and start the RFP process over again. I think downtown is in a different place now than it was a few years ago, and might attract some nationally-known developers who could propose something iconic and truly urban for this major parcel at downtown's west entrance.

3. The board approved a request from Ross Rulney to transfer his tax credits approved for the Julian Drew Lofts project to the adjacent Access 12 property that he recently acquired from the city. He said the lofts are going to get built (as well as the 7-story apartment building at 127 S. 5th Ave.), but that he wants to focus on the Access 12 property, probably due to a requirement of that purchase to spend $1M in improvements within 30 months.

Ted Lyons
Apr 9, 2020, 4:54 PM
From the bits and pieces I was able to watch of today's board meeting:

1. In response to your question, Fletcher McCusker reminded everyone that the TCC improvements already have their own financing and are not dependent on TIFF revenues. Phil Swaim noted that the TCC projects will now be accelerated, since most events there have been cancelled for the immediate future.

2. I saw parts of the rather lame proposal from Nor-Gen, but not sure what the board did with it. I would hope they would reject it, hit Norville with the fines he owes as specified in the development agreement, and start the RFP process over again. I think downtown is in a different place now than it was a few years ago, and might attract some nationally-known developers who could propose something iconic and truly urban for this major parcel at downtown's west entrance.

3. The board approved a request from Ross Rulney to transfer his tax credits approved for the Julian Drew Lofts project to the adjacent Access 12 property that he recently acquired from the city. He said the lofts are going to get built (as well as the 7-story apartment building at 127 S. 5th Ave.), but that he wants to focus on the Access 12 property, probably due to a requirement of that purchase to spend $1M in improvements within 30 months.

I had figured Rulney wanted to transfer the agreement to Access 12 because the Julian Drew project was proving to be unworkable. I'm almost disappointed to hear he still plans to move ahead with it because a three-floor single-use project on that site is a waste, IMO.

somethingfast
Apr 9, 2020, 7:11 PM
so is it safe to say that the 19-floor 75 Broadway is dead now?

Ted Lyons
Apr 11, 2020, 5:56 PM
So, uh, the Nor-Gen concept, which was supposed to be a mixed use project with a hotel is now . . . an amphitheater with acres of surface parking.

https://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Tucson-Amphitheater-presentation-April-2020.pdf

Azstar
Apr 11, 2020, 9:13 PM
So, uh, the Nor-Gen concept, which was supposed to be a mixed use project with a hotel is now . . . an amphitheater with acres of surface parking.

https://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Tucson-Amphitheater-presentation-April-2020.pdf

What-a-joke.

somethingfast
Apr 12, 2020, 12:39 AM
I kinda like this concept to be honest. I think 7k seats is too small given the Casino Del Sol venue but it looks good and outdoor shows are usually better than indoors. If they don't raze the TCC and just building some new indoors than I say this is a good addition. Should be 10k though. You won't get major acts with 7k seats (Ozzfest, Maiden, whatever crappy "pop star" is flavor of the day, etc.)

Thirsty
Apr 12, 2020, 6:00 PM
I'm no audiophile, but building an outdoor amphitheater next to a busy interstate popular with trucking seems like a bad idea to me. They plan to book more than just Spinal Tap, right? Was there no land available under DM's flight paths?

Ted Lyons
Apr 13, 2020, 12:50 AM
I'm no audiophile, but building an outdoor amphitheater next to a busy interstate popular with trucking seems like a bad idea to me. They plan to book more than just Spinal Tap, right? Was there no land available under DM's flight paths?

Never mind the fact that this amphitheater cannibalizes TCC's business. If the amphitheater's proposed capacity is 7,500 and Tucson Arena's is a little under 9,000, they're going after the same shows. Maintaining TCC's economic viability is one of the core missions of Rio Nuevo so supporting this project would be absolutely nonsensical.

I can't help but think Nor-Gen decided this dumpster fire of a concept was the easiest way to force Rio Nuevo to breach. That would provide Nor-Gen leverage against monetary penalties.

azliam
Apr 13, 2020, 1:37 AM
I cannot believe this concept/proposal is still a question mark. I remember this from years ago and I left Tucson back in 2010. Unreal.

https://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-unveils-million-arena-plan/article_f0126b3c-8ea5-5c15-bc94-9c4fcdbaf595.html

https://www.kold.com/story/8454981/up-on-the-roof-tucson-convention-center-expansion-first-look/

Azstar
Apr 13, 2020, 5:10 PM
I cannot believe this concept/proposal is still a question mark. I remember this from years ago and I left Tucson back in 2010. Unreal.

https://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-unveils-million-arena-plan/article_f0126b3c-8ea5-5c15-bc94-9c4fcdbaf595.html

https://www.kold.com/story/8454981/up-on-the-roof-tucson-convention-center-expansion-first-look/

It looks like this "new" proposal is just a scaled down version of a 2007 proposal that never materialized.

somethingfast
Apr 13, 2020, 8:38 PM
Never mind the fact that this amphitheater cannibalizes TCC's business. If the amphitheater's proposed capacity is 7,500 and Tucson Arena's is a little under 9,000, they're going after the same shows. Maintaining TCC's economic viability is one of the core missions of Rio Nuevo so supporting this project would be absolutely nonsensical.

I can't help but think Nor-Gen decided this dumpster fire of a concept was the easiest way to force Rio Nuevo to breach. That would provide Nor-Gen leverage against monetary penalties.

I'm not suggesting that outdoor *sounds* better (although it can - think Wolftrap and Red Rocks) than indoors but it's usually a better *experience*. And that's what shows are about. Let's be honest, TCC SUCKS. It's horribly 70's in design and frankly doesn't sound that good. Saw plenty of shows their in my life across all genres (Diana Ross, Eagles, AC/DC, Metallica) and I would say it ranks low in terms of acoustics compared to most other venues I've been to (hell, McKale stomps all over it back when they actually did concerts - Whitesnake/Debbie Gibson...yes, I'm old!). Ultimately, in Tucson, isn't ANYTHING literally better than a big dirt lot? Things move at prehistoric pace down there...

andrewsaturn
Apr 14, 2020, 7:29 AM
The enclosed option sounds better just because it's hott during summer. It says 3,500 fixed seats and 3,500 lawn. How does that work for an enclosed amphitheater?

I don't like this idea as well. I know there are better ones somewhere even if it takes another decade lol. The TCC is underwhelming but it is here to stay. I think some research into sound/visual system is in effect this year but I never had an issue with the sound. I personally wish they look into a new video board.

https://www.downtowntucson.org/2020/02/tcc-renovation/

somethingfast
Apr 14, 2020, 1:52 PM
The enclosed option sounds better just because it's hott during summer. It says 3,500 fixed seats and 3,500 lawn. How does that work for an enclosed amphitheater?

I don't like this idea as well. I know there are better ones somewhere even if it takes another decade lol. The TCC is underwhelming but it is here to stay. I think some research into sound/visual system is in effect this year but I never had an issue with the sound. I personally wish they look into a new video board.

https://www.downtowntucson.org/2020/02/tcc-renovation/

Sorry guys I just have to say it - TCC is a piece of crap. It was a piece of crap in 1988 and it's an even bigger piece of crap today. It's Soviet-era value-engineering and architecture from the day it was designed. I absolutely agree that the best solution is build a larger, more-modern replacement. Tear it down. Put up a 12k to 15k arena and it will pay for itself over time with larger touring acts returning to Tucson. No premier acts that typically draw 10k+ crowds wants to play in small dumpy arenas. For crying out loud, TCC has been in discussion as obsolete for 20 years! A fresh coat of paint and new video/audio elements will not fix it. It did not start life as America West Arena which had a good design from day one for the crowd orientation to both games and shows.

andrewsaturn
Apr 14, 2020, 9:56 PM
Sorry guys I just have to say it - TCC is a piece of crap. It was a piece of crap in 1988 and it's an even bigger piece of crap today. It's Soviet-era value-engineering and architecture from the day it was designed. I absolutely agree that the best solution is build a larger, more-modern replacement. Tear it down. Put up a 12k to 15k arena and it will pay for itself over time with larger touring acts returning to Tucson. No premier acts that typically draw 10k+ crowds wants to play in small dumpy arenas. For crying out loud, TCC has been in discussion as obsolete for 20 years! A fresh coat of paint and new video/audio elements will not fix it. It did not start life as America West Arena which had a good design from day one for the crowd orientation to both games and shows.

The discussion to replace it is really like beating a dead horse. I really would like to see a brand new arena built and would vote for it in a heartbeat but I don't see it happening unless a private developer comes and foots the bill or most of it.

It doesn't get big acts but it really does serve its purpose for the current/shows events it has and it does fine for what its worth.

Patrick S
Apr 15, 2020, 6:58 PM
Apartments, hotels slated for 're-imagined' former Oro Valley Marketplace (https://tucson.com/news/local/apartments-hotels-slated-for-re-imagined-former-oro-valley-marketplace/article_b25206c7-c931-59de-8fff-e21895785d74.html)

andrewsaturn
Apr 18, 2020, 8:39 AM
I think this was posted before but don't remember! This article on March 27 says Bookman's is moving into former Chicago Music store according to Pat Darcy the retail division head of Tucson Realty.

http://tucsonrealty.com/tucson-retail-market-forecast-by-pat-darcy/

Patrick S
Apr 19, 2020, 4:19 PM
Real Estate Daily News has an article about how they see COVID-19 affecting the health of the residential real estate market and home building in the Tucson market: https://realestatedaily-news.com/tucsons-land-and-housing-2020-and-beyond-part-2-of-5-part-series-with-will-white-of-lao-tucson/

Patrick S
Apr 19, 2020, 4:21 PM
I think this was posted before but don't remember! This article on March 27 says Bookman's is moving into former Chicago Music store according to Pat Darcy the retail division head of Tucson Realty.

http://tucsonrealty.com/tucson-retail-market-forecast-by-pat-darcy/
This article also makes it seem like 75 E. Broadway is still a go.

crzyabe
Apr 27, 2020, 5:59 PM
This article also makes it seem like 75 E. Broadway is still a go.

75 E Broadway is on Rio Nuevo's agenda tomorrow. Hopefully we get an update

andrewsaturn
Apr 29, 2020, 10:36 PM
There is a crane at the Benedictine monastery on Country club now.

Dadedos
Apr 30, 2020, 12:43 AM
Any update on 75 E. Broadway?

Ted Lyons
Apr 30, 2020, 3:26 AM
There is a crane at the Benedictine monastery on Country club now.

And earth being moved at the UA tech park on Kino.

andrewsaturn
May 1, 2020, 1:04 AM
Any update on 75 E. Broadway?

Good news. Still moving forward! Even better news, it is up to twenty two stories. Bautista project west of I10 is still in the works as well. It is expected to break ground. Both these projects are combined at $177 million. You can listen to it here:

https://www.buckmastershow.com/2020/04/29/buckmaster-show-4-29-2020-the-downtown-tucson-economic-recovery-plan/

Ted Lyons
May 1, 2020, 3:41 AM
Good news. Still moving forward! Even better news, it is up to twenty two stories. Bautista project west of I10 is still in the works as well. It is expected to break ground. Both these projects are combined at $177 million. You can listen to it here:

https://www.buckmastershow.com/2020/04/29/buckmaster-show-4-29-2020-the-downtown-tucson-economic-recovery-plan/

That was good to hear. Curious what aspect of RN's investment in Sunshine Mile is on hold. The bungalow project is still active, so maybe the Welcome/Broadway Volvo project?

somethingfast
May 1, 2020, 7:03 PM

Any idea if this would be a new tallest?

Patrick S
May 1, 2020, 10:06 PM
Drove by Houghton and Old Spanish Trail a couple days ago. The land is cleared and there is earth moving equipment, a water tank, and a construction trailer. My guess is the work on the new Northwest Medical Center Hospital has started.

andrewsaturn
May 2, 2020, 12:54 AM
Any idea if this would be a new tallest?

No idea :shrug: Did some searches and couldn't find anything. Don't think they have anything official yet unfortunately.

somethingfast
May 2, 2020, 7:56 PM
it would be a tremendous shame if Tucson couldn't pull out a new tallest if this goes through. Phoenix can't get it's act together and Tucson could lord over a new tallest haha

andrewsaturn
May 6, 2020, 1:23 AM
The third and final phase of the new downtown links project is set to begin this summer. The new roadway will provide an alternative route from and to I-10 from Broadway and Aviation highway just east of downtown Tucson.

A recent update provided yet another set of modifications to the project in order for the project to be cost effective. Despite the modifications, the project will provide main features such as the Deck Plaza with a park, Sixth street underpass at Union Pacific Railroad, Bridge over Sixth Ave, public art etc. Some of the changes are listed in the pdf.

http://www.downtownlinks.info/wp-content/uploads/Dunbar-Spring-2020-Stakeholder-Presentation.pdf

The project is expected to take 24-30 months.
https://i.imgur.com/j6Pe54e.png
https://i.imgur.com/dyc0lNK.png

New Design for the Broadway intersection is ELIMINATED. Will remain the same.
https://i.imgur.com/wEJVNmK.png
https://i.imgur.com/SHFODiQ.png

Crustacious
May 6, 2020, 5:32 PM
Does anyone have any news on the new Monier apartments being constructed west of I-10? I am really interested in the place and the only news I can find on it is that it is expected to be completed in mid 2020.

Ted Lyons
May 6, 2020, 6:51 PM
Does anyone have any news on the new Monier apartments being constructed west of I-10? I am really interested in the place and the only news I can find on it is that it is expected to be completed in mid 2020.

I don't think there are any online updates but they're pretty far along.

Ted Lyons
May 13, 2020, 1:29 AM
Crane is in at HUB 4. We were only a few weeks separated from having three cranes in three blocks.

Unrelated, I was driving around and noticed the Starbucks at Campbell and Broadway is completely closed. Like, the sign was removed from the building. I'm sure the virus and road construction made things tough but that location will become much more profitable in just a few months. Similarly, the Walgreens at 1st and Grant is permanently closed. That's doubly disappointing because the construction of that location resulted in the closure of the Oracle and Grant location, which is still vacant.

travreese
May 13, 2020, 5:24 PM
The single most important part of the Downtown Links Project, TO ME, is to establish a quiet zone. It seems like that part of the project is still working. That's great news as it creates more developable land if you don't have the train horn blaring. Before I get backlash over this, I too like the distant sound of a train. In close proximity? Not so much.

combusean
May 13, 2020, 10:58 PM
Crane is in a HUB 4. We were only a few weeks separated from having three cranes in three blocks.

Unrelated, I was driving around and noticed the Starbucks at Campbell and Broadway is completely closed. Like, the sign was removed from the building. I'm sure the virus and road construction made things tough but that location will become much more profitable in just a few months. Similarly, the Walgreens at 1st and Grant is permanently closed. That's doubly disappointing because the construction of that location resulted in the closure of the Oracle and Grant location, which is still vacant.

Losing a Walgreens is a sure sign of trouble. These businesses really keep neighborhoods alive that depend on them vice-versa.

Ted Lyons
May 13, 2020, 11:34 PM
The single most important part of the Downtown Links Project, TO ME, is to establish a quiet zone. It seems like that part of the project is still working. That's great news as it creates more developable land if you don't have the train horn blaring. Before I get backlash over this, I too like the distant sound of a train. In close proximity? Not so much.

Absolutely deafening if you're in Borderlands or at the corner of 6th and 7th.

andrewsaturn
May 14, 2020, 1:58 AM
Crane is in at HUB 4. We were only a few weeks separated from having three cranes in three blocks.

Saw a 2019 article about Walgreens closing 200 underperforming stores. It says that they were undertaking transformational cost management program. They also closed the one on 22nd and Craycroft this year as well. However, it rapidly turned into a Dollar Tree within 2 months lol.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/06/walgreens-store-closings-drugstore-chain-plans-close-200-stores/1937722001/

Ted Lyons
May 14, 2020, 4:52 PM
Saw a 2019 article about Walgreens closing 200 underperforming stores. It says that they were undertaking transformational cost management program. They also closed the one on 22nd and Craycroft this year as well. However, it rapidly turned into a Dollar Tree within 2 months lol.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/08/06/walgreens-store-closings-drugstore-chain-plans-close-200-stores/1937722001/

Well, this would make me feel a little better. Still not happy about the company abandoning two locations on a two-mile stretch of road within a few years.

kmiller5
May 15, 2020, 12:06 AM
NY Times among others are reporting a Taiwanese company will be building a $12 billion chip plant in AZ. 1500 jobs. Any chance it's in Tucson? Probably Goodyear or some other terrible west valley spot but I can hope.

Ted Lyons
May 15, 2020, 1:34 AM
NY Times among others are reporting a Taiwanese company will be building a $12 billion chip plant in AZ. 1500 jobs. Any chance it's in Tucson? Probably Goodyear or some other terrible west valley spot but I can hope.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was on the southern end of 303 in Goodyear. The industrial development there is crazy right now.

Patrick S
May 15, 2020, 9:18 PM
According to KGUN "The factory will be in Phoenix. Locations are being evaluated currently."

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/taiwan-semiconductor-manufacturing-co-chooses-arizona-for-new-factory

Azstar
May 16, 2020, 9:32 PM
[QUOTE]According to KGUN "The factory will be in Phoenix. Locations are being evaluated currently."[/UNQUOTE]

Of course it will be.

crzyabe
May 18, 2020, 6:31 PM
The renovation and construction on the Flash TV development (6th Ave, south of 5 Points) is well underway. 50ish apartments in total with some street level retail.

Ted Lyons
May 19, 2020, 4:21 PM
Farhang & Medcoff is looking to renovate 100 S. Church, the old Visit Tucson building on the corner of Church and Broadway. Being a La Placita remnant, there's only so much they can do with it architecturally but it looks like a good project that'll get rid of an eyesore.

https://i.imgur.com/vMT4oBs.png?1

Ted Lyons
May 20, 2020, 1:24 AM
So, UA halted most construction projects but, as far as I know, existing contracts could be fulfilled. Thus, we have renderings for the Applied Research Building and, wait for this one, the Grand Challenges Building.

https://www.pdc.arizona.edu/project/Image/18-9386.jpg

https://pdc.arizona.edu/project/Image/18-9384.jpg

This looks amazing.

EDIT: Found a video for the Grand Challenges building.

https://youtu.be/v70brKPUrI0

Would prefer more variation in the overall massing (just looks like a box from afar) but still impressive up close.

kaneui
May 21, 2020, 8:47 PM
So, UA halted most construction projects but, as far as I know, existing contracts could be fulfilled. Thus, we have renderings for the Applied Research Building and, wait for this one, the Grand Challenges Building.

EDIT: Found a video for the Grand Challenges building.

https://youtu.be/v70brKPUrI0

Would prefer more variation in the overall massing (just looks like a box from afar) but still impressive up close.

Although we now have some renderings, UA has removed construction schedule timelines for their three projects scheduled to break ground this year (although I have left them in my Google map listings), underscoring the financial uncertainty the university is facing for the immediate future.

On another note, my Google map for Tucson Development Projects has just surpassed 30k views in a little over a year, so it looks like there's plenty of interest in tracking development news, even as we head into what looks like a slowdown in local development.

crzyabe
May 22, 2020, 5:23 PM
On another note, my Google map for Tucson Development Projects has just surpassed 30k views in a little over a year, so it looks like there's plenty of interest in tracking development news, even as we head into what looks like a slowdown in local development.

29k of those are me :)

andrewsaturn
May 23, 2020, 4:57 AM
Was surprised to see the corner of Broadway and Rosemont razed already. I know there was talks awhile back about a market going in there. Here is the link:

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/08/02/broadway-rosemont-development-back-but-with-major-changes/

https://i.imgur.com/sgklSP9.jpg?1

Patrick S
May 23, 2020, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=andrewsaturn;8930377]Was surprised to see the corner of Broadway and Rosemont razed already. I know there was talks awhile back about a market going in there. Here is the link:

http://tiboaz.biz/2018/08/02/broadway-rosemont-development-back-but-with-major-changes/

The link you provide notes that the market has been changed to a micro-hospital which is what I last remember hearing about.

Ted Lyons
May 27, 2020, 6:23 PM
Watched most of the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. As we know, 75 E Broadway is moving forward. Based on my calculations, it should be 19 or 20 floors. Marcel Dabdoub reported that they've secured 80% of their financing and the other 20% should be secured this week with paperwork finalized over the next month.

The Bautista is also moving forward and Rio Nuevo financed their portion this month.

Finally, although not on the agenda, it was reported that 1 S Church is moving forward as well and they'll be in front of City Council, I believe requesting GPLET abatement, on June 9th.

There was some other business but these were the bigger projects that came up.

kmiller5
May 27, 2020, 7:28 PM
Watched most of the Rio Nuevo meeting yesterday. As we know, 75 E Broadway is moving forward. Based on my calculations, it should be 19 or 20 floors. Marcel Dabdoub reported that they've secured 80% of their financing and the other 20% should be secured this week with paperwork finalized over the next month.

The Bautista is also moving forward and Rio Nuevo financed their portion this month.

Finally, although not on the agenda, it was reported that 1 S Church is moving forward as well and they'll be in front of City Council, I believe requesting GPLET abatement, on June 9th.

That's great news! Was there an update on construction timelines for the Bautista or 75 E. Broadway? The last I had heard was this summer for the Bautista but I can't find any project documents on PRO.

Ted Lyons
May 27, 2020, 7:50 PM
That's great news! Was there an update on construction timelines for the Bautista or 75 E. Broadway? The last I had heard was this summer for the Bautista but I can't find any project documents on PRO.

Not really much discussion of Bautista other than the statement that it was financed. For 75 E Broadway, the only schedule info mentioned was related to the fact that all the existing agreements will have to be revised. No hard timelines, though.

crzyabe
May 27, 2020, 10:54 PM
I heard a rumor that Raytheon is looking for a downtown Tucson presence in the next few years. Could mean 100s of people. I wonder if it is enough to fill the commercial portion of 75 E Broadway? Another option could be 101 Linda over in the Mercado. Months ago, the developer claimed they had a tenant closing to signing for that building.

andrewsaturn
May 28, 2020, 5:11 AM
It appears Reid Park is starting its phase one of a 10 year master renovation plan that includes expanding its footprint into a portion of the park area. It is bittersweet to see this move forward as the park will lose one of its two ponds.
https://reidparkzoo.org/future/

https://i.imgur.com/hCbkwQA.png
https://i.imgur.com/6WikrGy.png

The first phase will have an "Asia" themed area expected to be completed in 2022.

https://i.imgur.com/Mkvf856.png

andrewsaturn
May 28, 2020, 5:12 AM

Thanks for the info!

Dadedos
May 28, 2020, 6:00 PM
Was there ever any update of the Speedway-Campbell Gateway project? Or was that shelved?

andrewsaturn
Jun 1, 2020, 6:53 PM
Was there ever any update of the Speedway-Campbell Gateway project? Or was that shelved?

Couldnt find any updates online but the rezoning was approved back in 2018 to construct the 20 story building.

https://www.kold.com/story/38463667/20-story-development-gets-rezoning-approval-near-ua/

Patrick S
Jun 2, 2020, 10:00 PM
Luxury Casitas Proposed for Tucson (http://azbex.com/luxury-casitas-proposed-for-tucson/)

Proposal on Catalina Hwy just north of Tanque Verde.

andrewsaturn
Jun 9, 2020, 11:08 PM
The Graduate Hotel Tucson is almost completed. Their website says they are accepting reservations for Oct 24th and beyond.

https://www.graduatehotels.com/tucson/hotel-gallery/hotel/

combusean
Jun 10, 2020, 1:27 AM
I haven't gone through the Speedway/Campbell project as much as I'd like (264 page PUD in four parts is a bit much) but what's actually programmed for the tower portion? Those floorplates look skinny for office. Surprised they didn't do Class A apartments or something in the project as well for its proximity to TMC.