PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

farmerk
Apr 3, 2013, 2:32 PM
Happy 201st page!! Heee!!! HAAAA!!! :machinegun: :twoguns: :raygun:

My opinion about the 4th Ave. shopping district is keep it as it is - electic except just clean and fix the place up. It's looking better now that the 4th ave. st has a brand new road thanks to the streetcar.

As for adding brand name stores/restaurants downtown and along west university, I'm all for it. The more variety the better. There are times when I want to take time eating in a restaurant so I go to the local restaurants. However, there are times when I want my meal cheap and quick - Subway. Groceries? Bring in Trader Joe's , Sprouts, Urban Target. If there's a local grocery store that Tucsonans actually go to ... go for it.

There are neighborhoods in Tucson that aren't worth designating a historical neighborhood. One of them is West Univerisity. Just because you have a handful of historical looking houses in a neighborhood doesn't make the rest of the neighborhood historical. West University has ugly old apts. And, I could guess, most of the people living there are students. My view, that the reason why owners of those rundown historical houses are so against new developments at or around West University is that they don't want to loose their customers, students, to those nice 21st century buildings. So I'm all for tearing down most of the West University 'historical' houses in place of 5+ story Paris-like buildings. Keep Linda Ronstadt's house for tourism purposes.

Sam Hughes Neighborhood, Armory Park and those nice barrios with tall adobe houses - KEEP IT. The neighborhood south of the UofA (6th ave/Broadway/Euclid/Campbell) - tear most of it down and turn it into a 'Paris'. In fact, I have a long list of neighborhoods I want tear down - one them is Rita Ranch ... sorry RRancher, might want to change your username to Sam Hughes.

There aren't too many cities in the U.S of A that's Paris-like. San Francisco is the only Paris-like city that I know. So if we transform Tucson into a southwest themed Paris (makes it unique), Tucson would flourish from a run-down city that looks like it's been used as a testing site for the A-bomb (or maybe the H-bomb) to a top tier city in the world! Please don't do this -> :uhh:

bleunick
Apr 3, 2013, 4:15 PM
A crucial part of planning for the future in any city is preserving your assets. West University IS an asset. Those homes represent a unique period of growth and architectural style in Tucson's history, and to demo them to slap a 4 story apartment complex in their place is absurd.

I agree with you Farmerk about the "ugly old apts" however those are not contributing structures in the historic district, and should be viewed as an example as to what happens when you knock down old homes and try to build something modern in its place. Whose to say yours and RitaRanchers similar idea wont end with the same result 20-30 years down the road? Im not sure where the "rundown" homes are in west university either... I would personally love to own a 1920s bungalow with a REAL yard and a REAL living space.

Im all for density and adding population to the area, its just unfortunate that WU is located where it is. There is plenty of prime empty lots surrounding 4th ave (especially to the west) that would be perfect for high density 10+ story residential. I can tell you that this is where a lot of developers are focusing their attention at the moment, due to the incentives in place because of the Downtown Gateway Redevelopment Area.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 3, 2013, 5:55 PM
A crucial part of planning for the future in any city is preserving your assets. West University IS an asset. Those homes represent a unique period of growth and architectural style in Tucson's history, and to demo them to slap a 4 story apartment complex in their place is absurd.

I agree with you Farmerk about the "ugly old apts" however those are not contributing structures in the historic district, and should be viewed as an example as to what happens when you knock down old homes and try to build something modern in its place. Whose to say yours and RitaRanchers similar idea wont end with the same result 20-30 years down the road? Im not sure where the "rundown" homes are in west university either... I would personally love to own a 1920s bungalow with a REAL yard and a REAL living space.

Im all for density and adding population to the area, its just unfortunate that WU is located where it is. There is plenty of prime empty lots surrounding 4th ave (especially to the west) that would be perfect for high density 10+ story residential. I can tell you that this is where a lot of developers are focusing their attention at the moment, due to the incentives in place because of the Downtown Gateway Redevelopment Area.

I had this discussion with a fellow planner last year...what makes something, some place "historical"? My argument was that just because something is old, ,or given a title, it does not make it "historical" in the sense of significance, architecture, or value. If we use the "old" criteria, then the Mission Manor area off of Valencia and 12th Ave would be a historical neighborhood. Shoot, the whole City of South Tucson would be historical.

Decades ago, the City of Tucson really put a push on creating Neighborhood Associations and "historical" neighborhood designations to protect areas from what had happen to the Barrio when New Urbanism was the trend and the glorious and precious TCC came to be. But now, in my opinion, they really need to go back and evaluate if certain neighborhoods are maintaining the integrity of the "historical" designation. West University, as it is today, is probably toeing that line...and is trending towards not being truly "historical" if some official really put that area to the test. I feel there is enough there to keep it "historical"...and they need to get their act together and clean it up. Overall, though, in my opinion, more damage has been done with the post-policies of neighborhood associations and historical designations in the sense of economic development. Protect neighborhoods, but be reasonable.

Ted Lyons
Apr 3, 2013, 6:39 PM

Exactly. Unfortunately, you're talking to someone (Ritarancher) who advocated for building big box stores downtown. His ideas of urbanism often conflict with each other and more accurately reflect suburban growth.

Im not sure where the "rundown" homes are in west university either... I would personally love to own a 1920s bungalow with a REAL yard and a REAL living space.

I think the "rundown" comment stems from having driven down 6th Street once or twice. Criticizing the upkeep of one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city is patently ridiculous. There are some yards with weeds in Sam Hughes, too, but that doesn't detract from the neighborhood as a whole.

farmerk
Apr 3, 2013, 6:41 PM
southtucsonboy77, I agree with every point you made.

bleunick, I should've been more specific about my proposal with regards to destroying West University. I would love to Search, Destroy and Replace about 60-70 percent of West University because the owners of those 'historic' houses and apts haven't kept up with their property. Why listen to a drug dealer who preaches drugs are bad for you? Besides, the city should've learned by now that in order for Tucson to progress from 3rd world status, it needs to plan what's good for the city instead of listening to a handful of Neighborhood Associations or as I call it, Delusional Autocratic and Dangerous Associations (DADA). Of course, there are still a lot of places around Tucson to build those tall buildings and you just can't force an owner of a house to move out. The point I'm trying to make here with West University, we'll listen to you if you fix your neighborhood. If someone would proposed building a 10+ floor building in the middle of Sam Hughes, I'd be against it. The buildings/houses that were replaced by the Hub,Park Ave etc... are worth replacing ... they looked rundown.

There are nice houses and buildings at West University such Linda's house or even that former Baptist Church (Roman/Greek Classic design) across her house. There's the Historic Y building (http://thehistoricy.com/). Those folks (who own the rundown houses/apts) need to fixed their place ... it might even devalue the whole neighborhood.

I think the city has a program (tax incentives?) to help those 'historic' neighborhoods fix their houses.

I'd like to make a comment about the current adobe neighborhoods. They are a tourist attraction. Whenever I walked in those neighborhoods, you'd see people talking photos. It also feels like you are walking in a living museum and yes, feels urban because the houses are close to the streets with small sidewalks plus they're about 12+ feet taller.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 3, 2013, 6:53 PM
An example of "Neighborhood Associations Gone Bad" is the proposed 5-story development on the southwest corner of Speedway/Stone, across the street from PCC. Do any of you remember that? The NA in that area shot down the initial proposal, the developers tried to compromise on their concerns, but then the end result was that the NA could not live adjacent to a 5-story "skyscraper" that would...drum roll...bring too much traffic to the neighborhood and block mountain views. So what has been sitting there now for nearly the last 10 years? A vacant lot with weeds and glistening shattered bottle glass. That's a lovely view alright. Property values are probably still low and there has been ZERO, ZIP econ development there ever since.

ProfessorMole
Apr 3, 2013, 7:51 PM
In some actual development news, two crews are working today to finish the electrical for the new light at second and park and installing a new light at University and Park. The Tyndall Ave stop has it's shade up, but half the platform hasn't been poured. Level is continuing to finish with about 5 full floors that have windows and about three that have the sliding glass doors for the balconies. Hub worksite picked up even more today than it was yesterday. About 3 times more people around the site.

Side note, The post office that was in Main Gate Square closed on April 1st. There is a liquor license in the window of the old La Salsa and the Fat Greek that was down for remodeling for water damage has a liquor license back up too.

Ted Lyons
Apr 3, 2013, 8:41 PM
In some actual development news, two crews are working today to finish the electrical for the new light at second and park and installing a new light at University and Park. The Tyndall Ave stop has it's shade up, but half the platform hasn't been poured. Level is continuing to finish with about 5 full floors that have windows and about three that have the sliding glass doors for the balconies. Hub worksite picked up even more today than it was yesterday. About 3 times more people around the site.

Side note, The post office that was in Main Gate Square closed on April 1st. There is a liquor license in the window of the old La Salsa and the Fat Greek that was down for remodeling for water damage has a liquor license back up too.

Nice post.

I didn't know University and Park was getting a light. That's actually great news as is the light at University and 4th. Both of those intersections were horrible for people screwing up the 4-way stop cycle.

I looked up the liquor license register and guess what's going in the La Salsa location. Wait for it . . . a CVS. This seems like something that would be better suited for the ground floor of one of the new apartment buildings.

EDIT - As I kind of expected, based on the fact that the post office was closing as well, CVS is taking over the entire building. So, that means no more Johnny Rockets either.

http://www.tucsonaz.gov/SIREPub/cache/2/4613247C2C20CE43925100C33333337373374554544557/511923704032013014915884.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/T7Od1aIl.png

Patrick S
Apr 3, 2013, 11:46 PM

Thank you Prof. for getting us back onto topic. Seriously people - it's bad enough we were fighting with the Phoenix folks, but then we started arguing amongst ourselves. I'm sure each and every one of us has a different idea or approach we think should be taken to redevelop Tucson, but we need to not snipe at each other. We're all on the same side here and want the same thing at the end of the day - a better Tucson.

I was going to say that I was surprised the Post Office was closing down there at the Main Gate Square. With all the new housing opening up right by there you would think a Post Office would be busier than ever at that spot. But, we quickly found out that a CVS is opening there (BTW - good find Ted Lyons). This is unfortunate, but I'm sure it will be pretty busy too. I agree with Ted that this would be good for the ground floor of one of the housing buildings. Maybe they'll move the Post Offices to one of them. I don't live by there so I don't know where a closer Post Office is, but I do know there is one in the Student Union.

farmerk
Apr 4, 2013, 12:10 AM
Prof Mole and Ted, thanks for that update. I'm glad there's a CVS at that area. I remember there was a local pharmacy/convenience store at the corner of Park and University Blvd few years back. As for the Post Office shutting down, I'm not surprised. The USPS has been shutting down branches all over the country. They even shutdown the main processing center for Tucson at Cherrybell-Stravenue. There's also a PO at Speedway close to Aloft and 6th ave/Broadway downtown.

I hope for a CVS or some other pharmacy/small grocer downtown. I miss the former Walgreens downtown location.

Well, Patrick, I agree ... we just need to reset and continue. There was a 'bitched slap' moment. We just need to get together and destroy all of Tucson's neighborhood associations (DADA) - just kidding.

EDIT: @bluenick, let me just say, I like your avatar - that would make a good official hat for Tucson.

Ted Lyons
Apr 4, 2013, 3:48 AM
This is unfortunate, but I'm sure it will be pretty busy too. I agree with Ted that this would be good for the ground floor of one of the housing buildings. Maybe they'll move the Post Offices to one of them. I don't live by there so I don't know where a closer Post Office is, but I do know there is one in the Student Union.

In terms of the post office closing, it's not a huge loss. There's the location in the Student Union, the Sun Station on Speedway between Campbell and Tucson, and various private shipping places all around campus, including University Postal, Letter Box, the FedEx Office at Speedway and Tucson, and the UPS Store at Campbell and Broadway.

My initial concern was that the CVS would be a waste of valuable street frontage but I'm kind of rethinking that. I still believe a location in one of the new buildings would be ideal but all walkable urban environments need stores like CVS. I've brought up the need for a CVS/Walgreens downtown with people on multiple occasions as there is no store in the area that sells staple goods and, to an extent, the same is true of the university area.

There are grocery stores somewhat nearby, but not close enough to visit without a vehicle. So, what this provides is the general ability to live in one of the new apartment buildings and buy most of what you need on a daily basis without driving anywhere. That's a big plus for the neighborhood and I don't want to criticize a first mover for taking advantage of that.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 4, 2013, 3:35 PM
Prof Mole and Ted, thanks for that update. I'm glad there's a CVS at that area. I remember there was a local pharmacy/convenience store at the corner of Park and University Blvd few years back. As for the Post Office shutting down, I'm not surprised. The USPS has been shutting down branches all over the country. They even shutdown the main processing center for Tucson at Cherrybell-Stravenue. There's also a PO at Speedway close to Aloft and 6th ave/Broadway downtown.

I hope for a CVS or some other pharmacy/small grocer downtown. I miss the former Walgreens downtown location.

Well, Patrick, I agree ... we just need to reset and continue. There was a 'bitched slap' moment. We just need to get together and destroy all of Tucson's neighborhood associations (DADA) - just kidding.

EDIT: @bluenick, let me just say, I like your avatar - that would make a good official hat for Tucson.

No big worries, I think we all like to vent a bit of frustration on past failed developments/policies, Phx, etc in between someone bringing forth development news. I wish I could share more news, but for the jurisdiction I currently work for, I would be risking my job. With that said, some of you AMAZE me on how quick you do deliver news.

I feel guilty now because I always ate at Johnny Rockets when it first came out. I've neglected that place for a few years now...and now there's a CVS. I'm not against the CVS, but I'm actually conflicted about whether that's the best use for that corner.

ppdd
Apr 4, 2013, 4:00 PM
I guess the CVS makes sense, and I've lamented the closing of the Walgreens downtown; however, I'd much rather have the restored Place building and the U of A presence than the Walgreens, so I guess it worked our for that particular property.

I'm still annoyed that the local and somewhat interesting complex at Broadway and Wilmot (El Charro, etc...) has been cleared our for demolition and construction of another CVS. I'm tired of a chain drugstore on every corner in the city.

farmerk
Apr 4, 2013, 4:07 PM
No big worries, I think we all like to vent a bit of frustration on past failed developments/policies, Phx, etc in between someone bringing forth development news. I wish I could share more news, but for the jurisdiction I currently work for, I would be risking my job. With that said, some of you AMAZE me on how quick you do deliver news.

I feel guilty now because I always ate at Johnny Rockets when it first came out. I've neglected that place for a few years now...and now there's a CVS. I'm not against the CVS, but I'm actually conflicted about whether that's the best use for that corner.

I'm in the same boat as you. Don't want to give too much info about myself and what I know otherwise I'd lose $$$.

I've been to Johnny R. once at that corner and not sure I'd miss it since there's a lot of 'Johnny Rockets' in the Old Pueblo. I wouldn't mind CVS at that corner although I wished it where located in those new mid-rise developments. Maybe someday, someone is going to convert that area to another 10+ floor building...I wouldn't be surprised.

My take with Tucson development, as soon as one of those 10+ floor buildings gets done and they get filled with stores/retails needed for daily amenities like CVS/Trade Joe's, the rest of Tucson will follow ... a domino effect. The more of those mixed used buildings get built, the more companies will set up shop in Tucson. I'm optimistic, this time.

farmerk
Apr 4, 2013, 4:12 PM
I guess the CVS makes sense, and I've lamented the closing of the Walgreens downtown; however, I'd much rather have the restored Place building and the U of A presence than the Walgreens, so I guess it worked our for that particular property.

I'm still annoyed that the local and somewhat interesting complex at Broadway and Wilmot (El Charro, etc...) has been cleared our for demolition and construction of another CVS. I'm tired of a chain drugstore on every corner in the city.

I understand your frustration. What bothers me most about CVS is their standard design of their cookie cutter building. RRancher posted a photo of a McDonald's in a Paris building a few pages back ... that setup is ok with me. I wished CVS would do the same.

Schaeffa
Apr 4, 2013, 4:44 PM
Nice post.

I didn't know University and Park was getting a light. That's actually great news as is the light at University and 4th. Both of those intersections were horrible for people screwing up the 4-way stop cycle.

I looked up the liquor license register and guess what's going in the La Salsa location. Wait for it . . . a CVS. This seems like something that would be better suited for the ground floor of one of the new apartment buildings.

EDIT - As I kind of expected, based on the fact that the post office was closing as well, CVS is taking over the entire building. So, that means no more Johnny Rockets either.

http://www.tucsonaz.gov/SIREPub/cache/2/4613247C2C20CE43925100C33333337373374554544557/511923704032013014915884.pdf

Looking at the document you linked to, it looks like they're putting in a traffic light at Tyndall Ave. and University Blvd., too. With lights at Park and 2nd, Park and University, Tyndall and University, and Euclid and University, it seems like there'll be an awful lot of signals for the streetcar to hit as it makes its way through Main Gate. Hope it doesn't catch all of them red each time (like I undoubtedly will. =P )

http://i47.tinypic.com/35cfl2o.png

southtucsonboy77
Apr 4, 2013, 5:21 PM
Not sure if this was discussed here last month, but this would be huge for Downtown...

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/21430944/pcc-exploring-downtown-move

Pima Community College is looking into new facilities in the center of downtown.

The PCC Governing Board has unanimously voted to look for potential locations. PCC has six campuses, including one just north of downtown on Stone Avenue.

Board Chair Dr. Brenda B. Even says the customized workforce education programs at the Community Campus are at maximum capacity. She also says Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild's Education Task Force as well as the Workforce Investment Board have requested that the college offer more workforce education opportunities.

farmerk
Apr 4, 2013, 10:08 PM
Not sure if this was discussed here last month, but this would be huge for Downtown...

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/21430944/pcc-exploring-downtown-move

Pima Community College is looking into new facilities in the center of downtown.

The PCC Governing Board has unanimously voted to look for potential locations. PCC has six campuses, including one just north of downtown on Stone Avenue.

Board Chair Dr. Brenda B. Even says the customized workforce education programs at the Community Campus are at maximum capacity. She also says Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild's Education Task Force as well as the Workforce Investment Board have requested that the college offer more workforce education opportunities.

If PCC and Grand Canyon University moves in downtown, it's safe to say we'll see more 10+ floor or even 20+ floor apts/condos in the near horizon. Another good use for the streetcar if you take classes at both UofA and PCC. Ah yes, good times here we come.

EDIT: I can understand all the traffic stops and slow speed the streetcar will experience since it will be in a dense route. A 50 mph streetcar would scare me walking across 4th ave. :bloodbath:

Anqrew
Apr 4, 2013, 11:59 PM
Looking at the document you linked to, it looks like they're putting in a traffic light at Tyndall Ave. and University Blvd., too. With lights at Park and 2nd, Park and University, Tyndall and University, and Euclid and University, it seems like there'll be an awful lot of signals for the streetcar to hit as it makes its way through Main Gate. Hope it doesn't catch all of them red each time (like I undoubtedly will. =P )

http://i47.tinypic.com/35cfl2o.png

im pretty sure lights will be programmed to always be green for the street cars. at least id think so. These intersections get too much traffic to have stop signs anymore IMO. whenever im at any of these spots its impossible to get through because the pedestrians just waltz right into the crosswalk and it never ends and the cars never get to go through. and dont get me started on the bikes running the stop signs... :hell::hell::hell:

Ted Lyons
Apr 5, 2013, 4:13 AM
im pretty sure lights will be programmed to always be green for the street cars. at least id think so. These intersections get too much traffic to have stop signs anymore IMO. whenever im at any of these spots its impossible to get through because the pedestrians just waltz right into the crosswalk and it never ends and the cars never get to go through. and dont get me started on the bikes running the stop signs... :hell::hell::hell:

Exactly. The difference between street cars and light rail is not the light patterns but, rather, the presence of traffic. In an ideal environment, a street car would never hit a red light. In the real world, that's not possible given traffic speed. However, the lights will almost definitely be programmed to accomodate a regularized timing schedule.

Schaeffa
Apr 5, 2013, 4:15 PM
Exactly. The difference between street cars and light rail is not the light patterns but, rather, the presence of traffic. In an ideal environment, a street car would never hit a red light. In the real world, that's not possible given traffic speed. However, the lights will almost definitely be programmed to accomodate a regularized timing schedule.

I'm sort of trying to figure out how they're going to be programmed, though. There's a streetcar stop just to the west of Tyndall, so I would assume the light would turn red right as the streetcar is going through the intersection. Then the light's green for the cars on Tyndall trying to make a left, but they don't have anywhere to go because the streetcar's there. Seems like the cars on Tyndall would have to wait for a traffic light cycle without a streetcar present in order to get to make a left turn.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 5, 2013, 4:39 PM
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/talks-start-over-future-of-ronstadt-transit-center-possible-commercial/article_da9c3190-9d54-11e2-a35d-0019bb2963f4.html

With construction activity in downtown occurring at a pace not seen in decades, Tucson city officials have begun to look at the Ronstadt Transit Center as the site of a possible mixed-use development.

“I’m encouraged by the fact that divergent groups in the community agree to not maintain the status quo for another 10 or 20 years,” said Councilwoman Karen Uhlich.

Uhlich requested the city begin a process of involving community members in discussions about the future of the transit center built in the early 1990s to serve as a hub for Sun Tran bus service. Recently, some downtown businesses have raised questions about the need for so many buses to converge downtown....

southtucsonboy77
Apr 5, 2013, 4:47 PM
I'm sort of trying to figure out how they're going to be programmed, though. There's a streetcar stop just to the west of Tyndall, so I would assume the light would turn red right as the streetcar is going through the intersection. Then the light's green for the cars on Tyndall trying to make a left, but they don't have anywhere to go because the streetcar's there. Seems like the cars on Tyndall would have to wait for a traffic light cycle without a streetcar present in order to get to make a left turn.

To add to what Mr. Lyons has stated, rule of thumb:

Streetcar traverses on normal travel lanes as vehicles, same interactions with driving, riding, and/or walking public; typically no dedicated lights or travel lanes, although the trend now, as is the case with express buses in larger metro areas, jurisdictions are working on giving streetcars and buses green light indicators at certain strategic locations, not all lights though.

Light Rail traverses on a dedicated lane and traffic lights are programmed; trains have the right-of-way, vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians are told to STOP till rails are clear.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 5, 2013, 5:01 PM
Interesting non-downtown development news...

In what would be a first in Southern Arizona, a Texas-based company is looking to build a windfarm of 21 to 28 turbine generators standing up to 487 feet tall with blade diameters of 191½-feet, all of which would be capable of producing 51 megawatts of electricity that would be sold to Tucson Electric Power. The site is on desert land about 21 miles west of Willcox...

ProfessorMole
Apr 5, 2013, 6:45 PM

When they were putting the rail in, they completely rebuilt the curb on all four corners of that intersection with no layout, holes, or pre-digs, for extra poles for a light. I have a feeling that the Tyndall/University light might be down the timeline somewhere because the rail line poles at that intersection are set back too far to have lights.

farmerk
Apr 5, 2013, 7:14 PM
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/talks-start-over-future-of-ronstadt-transit-center-possible-commercial/article_da9c3190-9d54-11e2-a35d-0019bb2963f4.html

With construction activity in downtown occurring at a pace not seen in decades, Tucson city officials have begun to look at the Ronstadt Transit Center as the site of a possible mixed-use development.

“I’m encouraged by the fact that divergent groups in the community agree to not maintain the status quo for another 10 or 20 years,” said Councilwoman Karen Uhlich.

Uhlich requested the city begin a process of involving community members in discussions about the future of the transit center built in the early 1990s to serve as a hub for Sun Tran bus service. Recently, some downtown businesses have raised questions about the need for so many buses to converge downtown....

If PCC and Grand Canyon U moves in downtown, that area by Ronstadt better have a 20+ floor building. As you know, downtown may have some empty spaces available but at the same time, it isn't that big. Takes about 10 minutes walking from one end to the other (east-west). Can't wait to see the rendering of that development.

Anqrew
Apr 5, 2013, 10:56 PM
The Ronstadt and the parking lot to the north and the railroad property north of that ALL have so much potential. The right development on these properties could be the centerpiece of downtown development! Its also a chance to make something thats a real standout, something with character. Retail, Public Space, plenty of pedestrian area, Residential, Good spot for highrise. I really hope they do something right here, because it could be something great. But.. i wont get my hopes up lol.

Im imagining something like a smaller scale City Creek Center in Salt Lake City

http://www.prevueonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/city-creek-center-1-e1334164988466.jpg
http://www.auroralight.com/images/CityCreekCenter.png

Ritarancher
Apr 7, 2013, 6:51 AM
I've been doing some research about City Target and other retailers moving into the city. What I learned was that Tucson is not a contender for a City Target. City Targets are typically over just half the size of a regular store (55k sqft) and they have been know to build their own buildings for the store. The market in Tucson for a city target is a lot smaller than needed. City Target has been successful and has 2 locations in SF, 2 in LA, 1 in Seattle, Portland and Chicago with more elsewhere. A better contender for downtown Tucson is Office Depot. Office Depot has built many stores within cities. These stores range from 5,000-17,000 square feet. Imagine owing an office supply store just minutes away from a university with 40k students. From what I've seen Walmart has tried to accomplish similar city goals in the Chicago but ultimately failed. They did not try to make their store seem special or different from the rest. (IMO the insides of new walmarts seem cheap and lazy. The ceilings are filled with thousands of the wires and utility lines and the ground is just cement.) From my understanding Kohls has also moved into the city. I do not know where or much about it but Tucson would also seem unlikely for that. We might be able to open a Kohls in the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges.

EDIT: Expect to see a Walgreens competing with CVS in the near future at Main Gate Square. Many jobs only allow one pharmacy in their health insurance plans and a Walgreens is still needed. Plus Tucson has been Walgreen's Territory for years, considering that they have over 45+ stores in the metro area. Walgreens is going to defend their territory.

I lost the list but Yahoo named Tucson the ninth best urban place to retire.

EDIT: I found the list http://finance.yahoo.com/news/these-are-the-best-urban-cities-to-retire-165606496.html

http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/11/2394645/office-depot-other-retailers-pushing.html

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/07/26/business/Citystores.html

aznate27
Apr 7, 2013, 2:24 PM
I've been doing some research about City Target and other retailers moving into the city. What I learned was that Tucson is not a contender for a City Target. City Targets are typically over just half the size of a regular store (55k sqft) and they have been know to build their own buildings for the store. The market in Tucson for a city target is a lot smaller than needed. City Target has been successful and has 2 locations in SF, 2 in LA, 1 in Seattle, Portland and Chicago with more elsewhere. A better contender for downtown Tucson is Office Depot. Office Depot has built many stores within cities. These stores range from 5,000-17,000 square feet. Imagine owing an office supply store just minutes away from a university with 40k students. From what I've seen Walmart has tried to accomplish similar city goals in the Chicago but ultimately failed. They did not try to make their store seem special or different from the rest. (IMO the insides of new walmarts seem cheap and lazy. The ceilings are filled with thousands of the wires and utility lines and the ground is just cement.) From my understanding Kohls has also moved into the city. I do not know where or much about it but Tucson would also seem unlikely for that. We might be able to open a Kohls in the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges.

EDIT: Expect to see a Walgreens competing with CVS in the near future at Main Gate Square. Many jobs only allow one pharmacy in their health insurance plans and a Walgreens is still needed. Plus Tucson has been Walgreen's Territory for years, considering that they have over 45+ stores in the metro area. Walgreens is going to defend their territory.

EDIT: I found the list http://finance.yahoo.com/news/these-are-the-best-urban-cities-to-retire-165606496.html

http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/11/2394645/office-depot-other-retailers-pushing.html

Office Max is on Broadway and Euclid, it's been there for a long time now. So no need for another store of it's kind downtown in my opinion.

oldpueblo
Apr 7, 2013, 6:37 PM
Looking at the streaming video of the Level student housing, it looks like the Hub crane is up and ready to go! From what I can tell, it looks like UEB is the contractor for the Hub, so hopefully the video stays up for the duration of the Hub construction. http://www.uebbuilders.com/webcams/tyndall2.html

I seriously can't believe that these building are actually going vertical! I was up north and looking down at Tucson, one can see how Level stands out, and with Hub and Park Ave., it's going to look really nice.

By the way, the Aloft looks amazing at night! That's also a beautiful addition to the University area.

andrewsaturn
Apr 8, 2013, 5:07 AM

I was just in Seattle and had walked by their city Target. I didn't go inside but it was pretty cool seeing it there. Downtown Seattle is vibrant and has a lot of activity and so i was not surprised seeing it there. Downtown Tucson is slowly changing so it will probably be a while before we see a clothing store or pharmacy drug store again. I am hoping though that talks of building a strip mall along I-10 is still in consideration though (there was an article about that, I think it is part of the Greenline project?...). It would be really good if those plans come into fruition considering the streetcar and potentially the thousands of students who would use it to get to the mall and back. That would be awesome.

Also, inside tucson business just came out with an article about city leaders discussing developing Ronstadt again. I know many people on here is hoping the site gets developed but as we know, it will not come without opposition from people who want to keep it just the way it is.

Ritarancher
Apr 8, 2013, 6:16 AM
I've got some old news from the suburbs.
Yet another major shopping center is planned for southeast Tucson.
The Valencia Crossings is a 850sqft powerhouse planned on the northeast corner of Valencia and Kolb. Most articles about the center are from late last year. The city council has approved of this annexation 7-0. This center is expected to get a movie theater. This is the only theater in the area. I am excited!! Hopefully it's a Harkins. If it was a century I'd be poor very fast.

http://www.woodmont.com/collateral/AF427B73-2EA7-4763-B2E7-CB4767CB5095.pdf

BTW what's going on at Craycroft and I-10?

omarainza
Apr 8, 2013, 10:18 AM
the Ronstadt getting something built over it would be cool because I can see dt from my house behind the Valencia library so a new highrise would make a wonderful addition from my POV :)

aznate27
Apr 8, 2013, 5:13 PM
The Valencia Crossings is a 850sqft powerhouse planned on the northeast corner of Valencia and Kolb. Most articles about the center are from late last year. The city council has approved of this annexation 7-0. This center is expected to get a movie theater. This is the only theater in the area. I am excited!! Hopefully it's a Harkins. If it was a century I'd be poor very fast.

This seems like it would be a LONG way off. I would imagine they would have to do the Valencia re-alignment first before anything got built here. I know the widening of Valencia from Kolb to I-10 is still a couple years away at least, so I wouldn't get too excited for at least a few years from now.

Personally, I think that as the plans are now for Valencia, it's just another missed opportunity. They should be thinking of future congestion and put an elevated (or depressed) expressway over Valencia, over Wilmot (or grade-separated) that connects with I-10 with a new interchange. I'm just say'n...

aznate27
Apr 8, 2013, 5:19 PM
I was just in Seattle and had walked by their city Target. I didn't go inside but it was pretty cool seeing it there. Downtown Seattle is vibrant and has a lot of activity and so i was not surprised seeing it there. Downtown Tucson is slowly changing so it will probably be a while before we see a clothing store or pharmacy drug store again. I am hoping though that talks of building a strip mall along I-10 is still in consideration though (there was an article about that, I think it is part of the Greenline project?...). It would be really good if those plans come into fruition considering the streetcar and potentially the thousands of students who would use it to get to the mall and back. That would be awesome.

Also, inside tucson business just came out with an article about city leaders discussing developing Ronstadt again. I know many people on here is hoping the site gets developed but as we know, it will not come without opposition from people who want to keep it just the way it is.

Two new clothing stores actually just opened on Broadway between Stone and Herbert Ave. One was invested by a former U of A basketball player. I was thinking of stopping in, the clothes in the window looked pretty cool.

ComplotDesigner
Apr 8, 2013, 6:10 PM
Weekend updates from Level and The Hub's crane.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7752/img2338md.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4594/img2353s.jpg

Anqrew
Apr 8, 2013, 7:23 PM

this looks like a good spot for something.

I just wish Tucson had some more indoor shopping centers.. all we have is Park Place, Tucson Mall and Foothills Mall. Im getting tired of all these oversized shopping centers like Oro Valley Marketplace, Tucson Spectrum, etc. We used to have El Con, and I'm not sure if La Encantada counts since it outdoors...

Ted Lyons
Apr 8, 2013, 9:48 PM
this looks like a good spot for something.

I just wish Tucson had some more indoor shopping centers.. all we have is Park Place, Tucson Mall and Foothills Mall. Im getting tired of all these oversized shopping centers like Oro Valley Marketplace, Tucson Spectrum, etc. We used to have El Con, and I'm not sure if La Encantada counts since it outdoors...

I think the era of malls like Tucson, Park, and Foothills is over. Newer mall construction, (for the better, IMO), seems to emphasize a less enclosed model. Strip centers like Spectrum and The Bridges aren't ideal but I think the most realistic step-up we could hope for is something like Santan Village or the north part of Tempe Marketplace.

oldpueblo
Apr 8, 2013, 11:58 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the Craycroft and I-10 parcel was bought by one of the major truck-stop companies. I think it was Pilot. It would seem odd, though, considering the old staple TTT is located there as well. Although, having the Pilot first from the west offramp would be beneficial.

Anqrew
Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 AM
I think the era of malls like Tucson, Park, and Foothills is over. Newer mall construction, (for the better, IMO), seems to emphasize a less enclosed model. Strip centers like Spectrum and The Bridges aren't ideal but I think the most realistic step-up we could hope for is something like Santan Village or the north part of Tempe Marketplace.

Never heard of those so i looked up San Tan Village and it looks great. Love how the streets go through to make it seem like urban streets, also looks like the layout allows for a lot of room for future expansion if the owner desires, since all the 'blocks' are interconnected. Wish Tucson did have something like that. I think Marana Spectrum and Shops at Tangerine were supposed to be similar to that but those both got nixed.

I dont like these shopping centers that are just stores lined up long eachother with seas of parking lots in between.

I like outdoor Malls as long as their is dedicated areas for pedestrian traffic. One of my favorite malls I've been to was called Fashion Valley in San Diego and it was outdoor too, similar to La Encantada.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM
The Ronstadt and the parking lot to the north and the railroad property north of that ALL have so much potential. The right development on these properties could be the centerpiece of downtown development! Its also a chance to make something thats a real standout, something with character. Retail, Public Space, plenty of pedestrian area, Residential, Good spot for highrise. I really hope they do something right here, because it could be something great. But.. i wont get my hopes up lol.

Im imagining something like a smaller scale City Creek Center in Salt Lake City

http://www.prevueonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/city-creek-center-1-e1334164988466.jpg
http://www.auroralight.com/images/CityCreekCenter.png

Sadly Anqrew, I think La Placita is (was?) suppose to be Tucson's version of a City Creek Center. In concept, La Placita is a good thing...however, it just hasn't worked out. It wouldn't bother me if a developer bought the land and started over. The accessiblity from building to building is just terrible.

ppdd
Apr 9, 2013, 5:39 PM
Sadly Anqrew, I think La Placita is (was?) suppose to be Tucson's version of a City Creek Center. In concept, La Placita is a good thing...however, it just hasn't worked out. It wouldn't bother me if a developer bought the land and started over. The accessiblity from building to building is just terrible.

I don't think La Placita is salvageable. You're right, the building access is terrible, the buildings themselves are awful, and the interiors are low and tight. The color has made it a bit of a landmark, but the dated design and labyrinthine layout is a killer. It also doesn't really flow into the surrounding areas - it's more of a fortress.

Anqrew
Apr 9, 2013, 7:14 PM
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2013/04/junction-at-iron-horse-student-housing-iron-horse-neighborhood-association

The Junction at Iron Horse focuses on working with neighbors

The developers of an off-campus student housing complex have agreed to numerous changes based on urging by the Iron Horse Neighborhood Association.

The Junction at Iron Horse, a student housing complex, will now offer 232 beds instead of 297.

The complex will be four stories tall, not five, and it will not include balconies on several-street-facing sides of the complex. Developers will also construct a basketball court that will be constructed in Iron Horse Park and refurbish Empire Market and Empire Laundry.

Construction is estimated to begin this summer, Lazarus Silvyn said. The developers are still waiting to receive the building permits from the city.

southtucsonboy77
Apr 9, 2013, 9:43 PM
Check out this re-use of an old baseball stadium in Indianapolis.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/gov-indianapolis-building-first-ballpark-apartments.html

ComplotDesigner
Apr 10, 2013, 12:56 AM
Talks Start over Future of Ronstadt Transit Center, Possible Commercial Development

Full article: http://azbex.com/talks-start-over-future-of-ronstadt-transit-center-possible-commercial-development/#

Ted Lyons
Apr 10, 2013, 4:43 AM
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/2013/04/junction-at-iron-horse-student-housing-iron-horse-neighborhood-association

The Junction at Iron Horse focuses on working with neighbors

The developers of an off-campus student housing complex have agreed to numerous changes based on urging by the Iron Horse Neighborhood Association.

The Junction at Iron Horse, a student housing complex, will now offer 232 beds instead of 297.

The complex will be four stories tall, not five, and it will not include balconies on several-street-facing sides of the complex. Developers will also construct a basketball court that will be constructed in Iron Horse Park and refurbish Empire Market and Empire Laundry.

Construction is estimated to begin this summer, Lazarus Silvyn said. The developers are still waiting to receive the building permits from the city.

Good news. Four floors is fine in that neighborhood. The infill is what's important. I think the Empire Market renovation was part of the previous agreement but, as I've thought all along, fixing the exterior won't make that a valuable business unless other changes are made as well.

Ted Lyons
Apr 11, 2013, 1:43 AM
Page 16 of the current Zocalo (http://issuu.com/zocalomagazine/docs/april_2013?mode=window) has an article about the "Centers and Street Corners" art exhibition that will be showing in the space next to Sparkroot over the next few weeks.

The interesting part is the blurb from Scott Stiteler about eight businesses opening at the corner of 5th and Congress this spring. Of course, we know about Proper, Diablo Burger, Good Oak, and the co-work space on the second floor of the Rialto Block. New info pertains to a butcher opening somewhere at that corner as well as three other businesses by my count.

He may be counting Saint House, which technically isn't at that corner and isn't opening this spring, but that still leaves two mysteries.

Anqrew
Apr 11, 2013, 4:55 AM
Page 16 of the current Zocalo (http://issuu.com/zocalomagazine/docs/april_2013?mode=window) has an article about the "Centers and Street Corners" art exhibition that will be showing in the space next to Sparkroot over the next few weeks.

The interesting part is the blurb from Scott Stiteler about eight businesses opening at the corner of 5th and Congress this spring. Of course, we know about Proper, Diablo Burger, Good Oak, and the co-work space on the second floor of the Rialto Block. New info pertains to a butcher opening somewhere at that corner as well as three other businesses by my count.

He may be counting Saint House, which technically isn't at that corner and isn't opening this spring, but that still leaves two mysteries.

probably one of them is the spot between Hub and Playground... also the front corner of Sainthouse has a spot for retail so maybe that counts...

southtucsonboy77
Apr 11, 2013, 10:14 PM
It's exciting to not only watch the continuing progress of Level on the UEB Web Cam, but watching the rebar for the Hub rise out of the ground.

DSGNR7
Apr 12, 2013, 3:25 AM

The chef/owner of Proper would be opening the Butcher's shop, which is planned to go in between Proper and Diablo Burger, but I don't believe a lease has been signed yet. The co-working space, known as Connect, will also occupy the first floor tenant space directly south of Proper (in addition to the entire second floor).

One of the two "mysteries" is going to be going public VERY soon, and it does involve the tenant space between Playground and HUB as Anqrew mentioned. I can not disclose the name, but I can say that it will be a restaurant, and that it is an INCREDIBLE get for Tucson. This tenant will really cement 5th ave. and Congress as one of the premiere restaurant districts in Arizona if not the southwest. As far as I know, the lease documents are just finishing up and we should be seeing a public announcement in the next week or so.

Ted Lyons
Apr 12, 2013, 3:44 AM
The chef/owner of Proper would be opening the Butcher's shop, which is planned to go in between Proper and Diablo Burger, but I don't believe a lease has been signed yet. The co-working space, known as Connect, will also occupy the first floor tenant space directly south of Proper (in addition to the entire second floor).

One of the two "mysteries" is going to be going public VERY soon, and it does involve the tenant space between Playground and HUB as Anqrew mentioned. I can not disclose the name, but I can say that it will be a restaurant, and that it is an INCREDIBLE get for Tucson. This tenant will really cement 5th ave. and Congress as one of the premiere restaurant districts in Arizona if not the southwest. As far as I know, the lease documents are just finishing up and we should be seeing a public announcement in the next week or so.

Wow. Great first post and welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see what the announcement is.

To add to the awesomeness of this area, World of Beer just signed a lease in The Cadence and plans to open in November.

http://www.franchising.com/news/20130411_world_of_beer_coming_soon_to_the_cadence_in_downto.html

It's a chain, yeah, but their commitment to craft beer is second to none among the craft beer chain concepts. I would prefer this over Yard House or Flying Saucer (which doesn't exist on the West Coast anyway) every day of the week.

On the beer front, Tap & Bottle finally got their building permit and are currently building out their space at 403 N. 6th. I feel comfortable saying that these are very different concepts and neither should suffer due to the other.

Anqrew
Apr 12, 2013, 4:40 AM

I must be psychic, ;). But yeah that spot between Hub and PG is pretty coveted so it must be something great! Cant wait to find out, are you involved in Downtown Development, how'd you know this information?

Patrick S
Apr 12, 2013, 5:32 AM
So, some information about possible businesses moving into the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. This document (dated February 19, 2013) (http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZPM04037-91260PAD.pdf) shows the plans for 3 new buildings to be built there. One is labeled 'SHOPS H', and has a Mattress Firm and a Great Clips, which will take up a little over 5,000 square feet, with room for more businesses with a total of a little over 4,000 square feet. This building is pretty close to the Costco. Another building is 'SHOPS B3', but they don't show any businesses for it yet. This building is right by the Walmart. The final building, 'SHOPS A2' is just east of the new McDonald's. This building has a Sprint store and a Sports Clips taking up a combined 4,200 square feet, with another 2,400 square feet of space available. Now, these all say they are subject to change, but this is great news. New buildings finally being built out there and new businesses too. Lets hope they start building the hotel, Bio-Science labs and offices, and houses out there sometime soon too.

This site (McGraw Hill Construction) (http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/Regional-Shopping-Mall_stcVVproductId152256981VVviewprod.htm) says that "Tucson Marketplace PH3 (3 Shops) @ the Bridges (NEGOTIATED)" was bid upon or signed, I'm not sure. It says the Bid Ends on 2/22/13, that it's new retail, it's 20,000 square feet, 3 buildings (like I described above) and the project was added on 2/20/13.

Ted Lyons
Apr 12, 2013, 5:43 AM
So, some information about possible businesses moving into the Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges. This document (dated February 19, 2013) (http://www.landadvisors.com/pdf/AZPM04037-91260PAD.pdf) shows the plans for 3 new buildings to be built there. One is labeled 'SHOPS H', and has a Mattress Firm and a Great Clips, which will take up a little over 5,000 square feet, with room for more businesses with a total of a little over 4,000 square feet. This building is pretty close to the Costco. Another building is 'SHOPS B3', but they don't show any businesses for it yet. This building is right by the Walmart. The final building, 'SHOPS A2' is just east of the new McDonald's. This building has a Sprint store and a Sports Clips taking up a combined 4,200 square feet, with another 2,400 square feet of space available. Now, these all say they are subject to change, but this is great news. New buildings finally being built out there and new businesses too. Lets hope they start building the hotel, Bio-Science labs and offices, and houses out there sometime soon too.

This site (McGraw Hill Construction) (http://dodgeprojects.construction.com/Regional-Shopping-Mall_stcVVproductId152256981VVviewprod.htm) says that "Tucson Marketplace PH3 (3 Shops) @ the Bridges (NEGOTIATED)" was bid upon or signed, I'm not sure. It says the Bid Ends on 2/22/13, that it's new retail, it's 20,000 square feet, 3 buildings (like I described above) and the project was added on 2/20/13.

The Shops H building is under construction. I posted about it a while back but we didn't know what was going in it, so this is a good update. I'd bet that Great Clips and Sports Clips are under the same ownership so that's why they're both in the same development. This is good news.

Patrick S
Apr 12, 2013, 6:13 AM
The Shops H building is under construction. I posted about it a while back but we didn't know what was going in it, so this is a good update. I'd bet that Great Clips and Sports Clips are under the same ownership so that's why they're both in the same development. This is good news.
Yeah, I remember you mentioning that. The city's website has the new McDonald's listed (1059 Tucson Marketplace) dated 1/17/13. It also has Shops A2 listed (1065 Tucson Marketplace), dated 12/21/12. (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command?mode=parcel&firstTime=true&parcel_no=132130710&command=InitialProcess&SearchButton=Search) Nothing about the other 2 buildings I mentioned previously, but as I stated a few pages ago, some of the different sections have the same info as some of the other sections (like the sections over by Costco - near Kino - have addresses listed as Park, which obviously isn't right).

The city's website also has plans for 3300 S. Park (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/PRO/Command?command=InitialProcess&mode=All+Permits+for+this+Address&calledFromJsp=AddressDisplay&street_no=3300&street_direction=S&street_name=PARK+AV&SearchButton=3300%A0S%A0PARK%A0AV%A0%A085713) (which is part of the Bridges, to the west of Park), dated 9/01/11 and labeled subdivision. If you click on that, then on the top one on the next page ("2nd Submittal Comment Response 2012-09-06.pdf") (http://www.tucsonaz.gov/SIREPub/cache/2/4640790C2C20CE43925100C33333337373374554544557/471773504112013110206793.pdf) you see immediately that this letter is dated 9/5/12 and that it says that the letter to the city was submitted 9/1/11 and that the delay (of a year) was because "the project was placed on hold for a certain period of time but has SINCE BEEN REACTIVATED." The 2nd half of the documents show maps of what is proposed (84 residential units on 18 acres). So, we may be seeing some new housing going into that area soon. This would probably make it more appealing to future businesses, which would make it more appealing to more housing and so on.

Patrick S
Apr 13, 2013, 1:19 AM
City looks to change westside development deal, postpone streetcar payments (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/city-looks-to-change-westside-development-deal-postpone-streetcar-payments/article_c6a9feca-a2e4-11e2-ac16-001a4bcf887a.html)
Patrick McNamara

A 2008 deal that gave a contractor exclusive rights to develop city-owned property west of downtown appears ready to be changed, allowing for slower development and to delay its share of payment for the modern streetcar development.
With opposition only from City Councilman Steve Kozachik, the council told the city manager and attorney Tuesday (April 9) to write amendments to the deal that would allow Gadsden Company to alter the development schedule for the 14-acre plot on Congress Street west of Interstate 10.
“From a city management standpoint, I think it’s a bad decision,” Kozachik said.
The amendments would allow the company to develop only a portion of the next phase of the property, which was divided into phased development blocks when the city and Gadsden finalized the deal in 2008.
Gadsden wants to build on only one block of the upcoming second phase of the development and have the remaining blocks collapsed into the final two phases.
The proposed second phase would include building a multi-level, multi-use building that includes underground parking, ground-level retail and affordable housing in upper levels.
Gadsden has been working with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to receive funding for the project.
According to the agreement, Gadsden was supposed to purchase the second phase blocks from the city two years after the closing of the first phase. That date is May 13.
In addition, the company wants to postpone payments to the city, required under terms of the deal, to fund a portion of the western end of the Sun Link modern streetcar project.
The original deal stipulates that Gadsden would pay $3.2 million toward construction of streetcar infrastructure prior to the May 13 date. Gadsden wants the city to allow it to pay instead by April 2014.
Kozachik also questioned that change, suggesting it could create problems with the federal funding that was acquired to build the streetcar. The Gadsden contribution was included as part of the application for the U.S. Department of Transportation grant.
Councilwoman Regina Romero has been a champion of the Gadsden project and defended the changes.
“The city has been sitting on this land since the 80s,” Romero said. The 14-acre parcel was part of a 68-acre section that the city bought in the 1980s with help from a federal Community Development Block Grant.
Romero said the agreement to build on the property was important because it came at time when few developers were interested in west side developments.
Gadsden and its affiliates have already built housing and retail on properties adjacent to the land subject to the development deal.
As part of the proposed amendments, Gadsden would agree to post an additional $500,000 in performance bonds, bringing the total amount to $1 million. The bonds would secure that Gadsden meet its obligations and the city would keep the money if the obligations under the development agreement were not met.
The company also would agree to complete Linda Avenue, which runs into the property, at a cost of nearly $500,000.
Gadsden also would agree to waive the city’s obligation under the original agreement to make improvements to land south of the parcels where the so-called “hole-in-the-ground” property lies.
The city was to bring that property up to construction grade to make fit for development after environmental remediation occurred.
“I hope we never negotiate another development deal like this again,” Kozachik said.
A senior housing apartment stands on completed first phase of the development. When fully built, the 14-acre property is expected to have a mix of residential and retail developments.
The council is expected to vote on a finalized package of amendments on May 7.

Patrick S
Apr 13, 2013, 8:05 AM
It looks like Walmart is eyeing a March, 2014 opening for their new location at Houghton Town Center (http://azbex.com/walmart-first-to-come-out-of-the-ground-at-tucsons-houghton-town-center/#) (south side of Old Vail Rd./west side of Houghton Rd.). This will be the first part of phase 1 (about 45 acres all together). I've seen reports of the developers still in talks with Home Depot for a store there, possibly anchoring Phase 2. It also appears a Panda Express will be built there soon. (http://www.americasjobexchange.com/job-detail/Panda-Express-Service-Kitchen-Team-HOUGHTON-TOWN-CENTER-PX-Pre-Open-Tucson-AZ-561823075)

Ritarancher
Apr 14, 2013, 12:54 AM
I drove on speedway and turned on Campbell and I saw two tower cranes. I'm guessing that park ave has its crane now.

farmerk
Apr 14, 2013, 5:44 PM
City looks to change westside development deal, postpone streetcar payments (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/city-looks-to-change-westside-development-deal-postpone-streetcar-payments/article_c6a9feca-a2e4-11e2-ac16-001a4bcf887a.html)
Patrick McNamara

A 2008 deal that gave a contractor exclusive rights to develop city-owned property west of downtown appears ready to be changed, allowing for slower development and to delay its share of payment for the modern streetcar development.

I've given up trying to understand the constant drama with Gadsden's west side developments. Regardless the drama, as long as no one builds anything ugly is fine with me....it's better to look good than to feel good. Anyway, I was at downtown west today, there's street car constructions and even some earth movers starting to work on the housing developments (?) at downtown west.

Patrick S
Apr 14, 2013, 6:57 PM
I drove on speedway and turned on Campbell and I saw two tower cranes. I'm guessing that park ave has its crane now.
I was up on campus today and drove by both properties. Yes, both the Hub and Park Ave. do have cranes up now. It's gonna be cool watching both go up at the same time - and really cool to see that area when they're all finished.

DSGNR7
Apr 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
I must be psychic, ;). But yeah that spot between Hub and PG is pretty coveted so it must be something great! Cant wait to find out, are you involved in Downtown Development, how'd you know this information?

I work for FORSarchitecture+interiors. We have been very fortunate to work closely with Scott Stiteler and his team to help transform the corner of 5th + Congress.

I was told Friday that the announcement of this new tenant between HUB + Playground should be going public tomorrow, Monday the 15th. But hell, why don't I give you guys a little heads up...

The newest addition to the downtown Tucson restaurant district will be Phoenix's Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco. For those who haven't heard of Pizzeria Bianco, a quick google search lists it as one of the top pizzeria's in the United States. Although Chris Bianco has three other restaurant concepts in Phoenix, Pane Bianco, Bar Bianco and Italian Restaurant, his original Pizzeria Bianco is one of the most sought after restaurants and developers from around the country have been hotly pursuing this brand. Ultimately though, Chris' love for Tucson and the amazing progress downtown is why Tucson is getting the 2nd Pizzeria Bianco!!! Hope you are all excited as we are.

Anqrew
Apr 15, 2013, 1:45 AM
I work for FORSarchitecture+interiors. We have been very fortunate to work closely with Scott Stiteler and his team to help transform the corner of 5th + Congress.

I was told Friday that the announcement of this new tenant between HUB + Playground should be going public tomorrow, Monday the 15th. But hell, why don't I give you guys a little heads up...

The newest addition to the downtown Tucson restaurant district will be Phoenix's Chris Bianco of Pizzeria Bianco. For those who haven't heard of Pizzeria Bianco, a quick google search lists it as one of the top pizzeria's in the United States. Although Chris Bianco has three other restaurant concepts in Phoenix, Pane Bianco, Bar Bianco and Italian Restaurant, his original Pizzeria Bianco is one of the most sought after restaurants and developers from around the country have been hotly pursuing this brand. Ultimately though, Chris' love for Tucson and the amazing progress downtown is why Tucson is getting the 2nd Pizzeria Bianco!!! Hope you are all excited as we are.

Ah, i was fairly certain you worked for FORS as you knew so much.. But wow! So glad you could share this information with us early! i know i was really anxious to find out what it was! You guys at FORS are awesome! While I have personally not heard of this restaurant, I'm very excited, i looked it up online and it looks and sounds like an amazing place for Tucson to have. It even has its own wikipedia page! so it must be very prominent.

I also find it very exciting that so many people outside Tucson are looking to invest, we now have Flagstaff and Phoenix branching to downtown Tucson, which to me is great news to know that people from out of the city look so highly on downtown now.

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 3:23 AM
i work for forsarchitecture+interiors. We have been very fortunate to work closely with scott stiteler and his team to help transform the corner of 5th + congress.

I was told friday that the announcement of this new tenant between hub + playground should be going public tomorrow, monday the 15th. But hell, why don't i give you guys a little heads up...

The newest addition to the downtown tucson restaurant district will be phoenix's chris bianco of pizzeria bianco. For those who haven't heard of pizzeria bianco, a quick google search lists it as one of the top pizzeria's in the united states. Although chris bianco has three other restaurant concepts in phoenix, pane bianco, bar bianco and italian restaurant, his original pizzeria bianco is one of the most sought after restaurants and developers from around the country have been hotly pursuing this brand. Ultimately though, chris' love for tucson and the amazing progress downtown is why tucson is getting the 2nd pizzeria bianco!!! Hope you are all excited as we are.

holy @@$)*(@%(*@$!!!

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 3:28 AM
Ah, i was fairly certain you worked for FORS as you knew so much.. But wow! So glad you could share this information with us early! i know i was really anxious to find out what it was! You guys at FORS are awesome! While I have personally not heard of this restaurant, I'm very excited, i looked it up online and it looks and sounds like an amazing place for Tucson to have. It even has its own wikipedia page! so it must be very prominent.

It's amazing. It's literally the most famous pizza place in the country. The Phoenix location actually feels a bit Tucson-like. I'd be a bit concerned about the number of pizza places downtown but I think they all offer something different.

ComplotDesigner
Apr 15, 2013, 6:43 PM

You're right, here is a screen shot from UEB streaming camera:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7505/universityprojects002.jpg

http://www.uebbuilders.com/webcams/tyndall2.html

And not a high-rise, but here are some images of Walmart at El Con (04-14-13)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1820/img2390em.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7031/img2391v.jpg

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 6:46 PM
You're right, here is a screen shot from UEB streaming camera:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/7505/universityprojects002.jpg

http://www.uebbuilders.com/webcams/tyndall2.html

And not a high-rise, but here are some images of Walmart at El Con (04-14-13)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1820/img2390em.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7031/img2391v.jpg

Man, Wal-Mart can put up a building fast as hell.

ComplotDesigner
Apr 15, 2013, 6:51 PM
I think they're opening this coming fall!

nickw252
Apr 15, 2013, 7:17 PM
Seriously, posting about Walmart?

The two tower cranes are great to see though.

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 7:24 PM
Development is development. There are almost countless examples of more off-topic discussion in this thread.

nickw252
Apr 15, 2013, 9:45 PM
Development is development. There are almost countless examples of more off-topic discussion in this thread.

I wasn't questioning whether it was development news or suggesting it was off topic...

phxSUNSfan
Apr 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
I wasn't questioning whether it was development news or suggesting it was off topic...

I agree...you were questioning the importance of a Walmart in a "Skyscraper forum" discussion.

My question is: how close is this this big box to downtown or the university? You don't want these things close to urban cores. Their parking lots alone kill street life. Although I am not familiar with Tucson, I don't think this Walmart is that close to downtown but if it is within a few miles...probably still not the best thing.

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 11:24 PM
I agree...you were questioning the importance of a Walmart in a "Skyscraper forum" discussion.

If this is the real justification, why do we talk about any single-floor development? Where do we draw the line? If this thread were dedicated to strict discussion of skyscrapers in Tucson, it would be about two pages long.

My question is: how close is this this big box to downtown or the university? You don't want these things close to urban cores. Their parking lots alone kill street life. Although I am not familiar with Tucson, I don't think this Walmart is that close to downtown but if it is within a few miles...probably still not the best thing.

3 miles. Tucson has a big box ordinance, so that term technically isn't applicable here anyway. Regardless, it's at a shopping center that already has a Target, a Home Depot, a Ross, a Burlington Coat Factory, a JC Penney, and a 20-screen movie theater. It's not setting any sort of precedent even if it's not the most desirable retailer.

phxSUNSfan
Apr 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
If this is the real justification, why do we talk about any single-floor development? Where do we draw the line? If this thread were dedicated to strict discussion of skyscrapers in Tucson, it would be about two pages long.

It isn't about how tall a project is, but generally what a project adds to the urban character of a city. That is the general discussion of threads for any city on this forum. Walmart, by its very nature, is the antithesis of urban form.

3 miles. Tucson has a big box ordinance, so that term technically isn't applicable here anyway. Regardless, it's at a shopping center that already has a Target, a Home Depot, a Ross, a Burlington Coat Factory, a JC Penney, and a 20-screen movie theater. It's not setting any sort of precedent even if it's not the most desirable retailer.

Yeah, given that description of the area this Walmart is going in, it doesn't look like it will hurt.

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
It isn't about how tall a project is, but generally what a project adds to the urban character of a city. That is the general discussion of threads for any city on this forum. Walmart, by its very nature, is the antithesis of urban form.

And still, there is much discussion here that doesn't fit within those parameters. Every discussion of The Bridges we've had would be outlawed under those guidelines and the same can be said of most threads here.

phxSUNSfan
Apr 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
And still, there is much discussion here that doesn't fit within those parameters. Every discussion of The Bridges we've had would be outlawed under those guidelines and the same can be said of most threads here.

Of course no discussion is "outlawed" and there are no "guidelines" for what can be discussed in terms of what is being developed...it is just rare for Walmart to receive this kind of attention on this forum unless it was in a negative context.

ProfessorMole
Apr 16, 2013, 12:02 AM
anyways......

There were two crews starting to take the lit signs down for Johnny Rockets and the other stores today where the CVS will be going on Main Gate. East side of Level has all the scaffolding taken down and looks done except for balcony railing. West side is picking up on the brick laying for the center portion that runs all the way to the roof.

Anqrew
Apr 16, 2013, 12:23 AM
I don't think it's too bizarre to discuss a Walmart being built, like said development is development. For me personally, I am very curious and I like to follow the developments at El Con mall (where the Walmart is) because it has gone under extensive renovations and still is, add on top of that the debate this Walmart has brought between the city the mall and the neighborhood, this Walmart has received a good amount of press. So while in another city this might be viewed as mundane, it's a big deal in Tucson.

Ted Lyons
Apr 16, 2013, 3:38 AM
anyways......

There were two crews starting to take the lit signs down for Johnny Rockets and the other stores today where the CVS will be going on Main Gate. East side of Level has all the scaffolding taken down and looks done except for balcony railing. West side is picking up on the brick laying for the center portion that runs all the way to the roof.

Yeah. Drove down Park today and was surprised to see all that scaffolding gone. I was driving so I didn't look too closely, but it looks like the finishes around the windows have to be installed still as well.

Ted Lyons
Apr 16, 2013, 3:46 AM
I don't think it's too bizarre to discuss a Walmart being built, like said development is development. For me personally, I am very curious and I like to follow the developments at El Con mall (where the Walmart is) because it has gone under extensive renovations and still is, add on top of that the debate this Walmart has brought between the city the mall and the neighborhood, this Walmart has received a good amount of press. So while in another city this might be viewed as mundane, it's a big deal in Tucson.

To reframe what phxSUNSfan brought up earlier about not wanting big chain stores too close to downtown, El Con serves the purpose of giving those stores an option near downtown that doesn't actually impact the area itself.

In that regard, it's a pretty valuable asset as there are a lot of cities bigger than Tucson that don't have shopping centers near their cores that are accessible by people who live in those cores. For example, having lived in Seattle, before the City Target opened recently, the closest Target to downtown was at a mall almost 8 miles from downtown. Similarly, the closest Wal-Mart was in Renton, which was over 12 miles away. There were a lot of stores that someone with a decent income could frequent to replace those options but not as many places targeting the low- to mid-income demographic.

Ted Lyons
Apr 16, 2013, 8:11 PM
What we already knew thanks to DSGNR7.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2013/04/16/the-rumors-are-true-pizzeria-bianco-is-opening-in-downtown-tucson

The Rumors Are True: Pizzeria Bianco Is Opening In Downtown Tucson

POSTED BY JIM NINTZEL ON TUE, APR 16, 2013 AT 12:31 PM

Chris Bianco could have opened his second pizzeria anywhere in the world.

He picked downtown Tucson.

“Tucson has been one of my favorite places, for a lot of different reasons,” Bianco said. “I have good friends in Patagonia and in Sonoita and the wineries there. Tucson has always been a good stop on the way for music and inspiration and architecture and the barrio

Bianco hopes to be up and running near Congress Street and Fifth Avenue (between comfort-food Hub and the nightclub Playground) sometime in November.

Bianco has running Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix for nearly two decades and was a step ahead of downtown revitalization there, opening in Heritage Square in 1996. His menu is small—just a half-dozen pizzas, a trio of salads and handful of small plates and side dishes—but the praise has been large. Bianco is the only pizza chef to have won a James Beard award. GQ has credited Bianco with launching the artisan pizza movement. Bon Appetit declared the pie to be the best in the nation. (It’s also considered the best in the world by Tucson Weekly editor Dan Gibson, who will explain his reasoning in this week's print edition.)

Bianco has been praised for his care in combining fresh, quality ingredients from his own garden and local suppliers for everything from the dough to the toppings.

“You learn to take your own sense of what makes something good,” Bianco says. “It’s about celebrating your backyard. … When we get to Tucson, I think there will be an even bigger opportunity to do it.”

While he’s not yet ready to reveal all the relationships he’s building with local suppliers here, Bianco says “my back door has always been open to farmers and people to bring what they’ve got to show up. You show up with some local peaches and I guarantee you, I’ll find a way to put them in a salad.”

Bianco, who oversaw all the pizzas that went into his oven until a few years ago (when complications from a chronic asthma condition forced his to step away from the dusty dough), has been offered opportunities to open a second pizzeria from big shots around the globe.

But it was seeing the developing restaurant scene in downtown Tucson that convinced him to expand here.

“I walked into the space and I saw the red brick and the good neighbors,” Bianco said. "I'm just so excited."

The new Pizzeria Bianco is a huge win for downtown Tucson, which has been steadily developing a reputation as a restaurant destination in recent years as new eateries such as Hub, 47 Scott, Maynards Market and Kitchen, Sparkroot and Reilly Craft Pizza and Drink have opened downtown. Janos Wilder, who was doing Sonoran locavore dishes long before locavore was cool, returned to downtown from the Catalina Foothills to open DOWNTOWN Kitchen + Cocktails in 2010. Two famed Flagstaff eateries, Brix and Diablo Burger, both are planning on opening new spots in the Rialto building next month.

Scott Stiteler, who will be Bianco’s landlord, says that he sought a focus on unique eateries in the downtown properties that he owns.

“My objective was to create an intersection that people all over Tucson and hopefully from places farther away feel the need to go and check out,” says Stiteler, who is also the landlord for Playground, Hub, Sparkroot and other eateries along Congress Street. “If you’re going to have a place to explore, you need a dozen or more interesting, unique businesses in your buildings.”

Stiteler’s vision for creating a dining destination in downtown played a big role in Bianco’s decision to open on Congress Street.

“To do something that is bringing together people with good intentions—that’s my kind of party,” says Bianco. “I think when things feel like home, you find a way to stay in the neighborhood and work in the community.”

Anqrew
Apr 18, 2013, 8:07 PM
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/life-size-nude-dancers-in-bronze-finally-adorn-th-ave/article_005db164-f7f3-50c3-a5ce-eadc3a0fc39d.html

The Bronze statues were finally installed on 4th Ave. Besides the great statues, i just wanted to share what an awesome photo this is! wonderful angle of downtown!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/b1/6b16fa54-c5c4-5771-84cb-8b15c431ba62/516f4fec91f8b.preview-620.jpg
Credit: MIKE CHRISTY / ARIZONA DAILY STAR

aznate27
Apr 19, 2013, 1:41 AM
World of Beer to take lower level of downtown student housing (http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/dining/world-of-beer-to-take-lower-level-of-downtown-student/article_858bc833-43d6-502d-90b6-0215ff58613e.html)

The Cadence complex will have six stories holding 465 bedrooms

Residents of The Cadence student housing complex downtown won't have to go far for a cold brew.

In fact, they may be fighting for a seat at the bar when World of Beer, the behemoth purveyor of all things brewski, opens on the ground floor of the development in November.

The 3,000-square-foot bar, which also will sell packaged beer to go, will move into the main building of the 465-bedroom six-story complex at 350 E. Congress St., said developer Jim Campbell. Campbell is developing the retail end of the project, which is being built by Alabama-based Capstone Development Partners.... (click link above for full article)

Not sure how I feel about a beer store going in right below a student housing complex, hopefully it doesn't envoke all the carnaige one would image.

Patrick S
Apr 19, 2013, 1:55 AM
World of Beer to take lower level of downtown student housing (http://azstarnet.com/entertainment/dining/world-of-beer-to-take-lower-level-of-downtown-student/article_858bc833-43d6-502d-90b6-0215ff58613e.html)

The Cadence complex will have six stories holding 465 bedrooms

Residents of The Cadence student housing complex downtown won't have to go far for a cold brew.

In fact, they may be fighting for a seat at the bar when World of Beer, the behemoth purveyor of all things brewski, opens on the ground floor of the development in November.

The 3,000-square-foot bar, which also will sell packaged beer to go, will move into the main building of the 465-bedroom six-story complex at 350 E. Congress St., said developer Jim Campbell. Campbell is developing the retail end of the project, which is being built by Alabama-based Capstone Development Partners.... (click link above for full article)

Not sure how I feel about a beer store going in right below a student housing complex, hopefully it doesn't envoke all the carnaige one would image.
As long as they do their job by carding and not serving anyone under 21 this shouldn't be a big deal. Better to have them drunk and riding elevators then drunk and driving.

Anqrew
Apr 19, 2013, 2:10 AM
It wont be a problem, right now theres a Circle K on 6th right across from countless dorm rooms, as well as plenty of other liquor and convenience stores across the street from campus. So if the beer wasn't downstairs they'd be getting it somewhere else regardless. so i think its actually better that its in close proximity.

Ted Lyons
Apr 19, 2013, 2:47 AM
The pricing and selection at World of Beers generally aren't for underage binge drinkers. Also, the complex is allegedly geared toward grad students anyway.

Ted Lyons
Apr 19, 2013, 2:50 AM
The critical passage in that article is that three other dining-related businesses are already on-board and contracts just have to be finalized.

Patrick S
Apr 19, 2013, 4:09 AM
The critical passage in that article is that three other dining-related businesses are already on-board and contracts just have to be finalized.
That's cool. I don't know how I missed that when I read the article the first time.

Anqrew
Apr 19, 2013, 6:13 AM
That's cool. I don't know how I missed that when I read the article the first time.

Yeah its pretty exciting! so much dining, lets hope they squeeze in some retail... The east end of downtown is going to be so amazing in a year! i wonder when the Unisource buildings bottom floors will become something...? they've been sitting empty for a while..

farmerk
Apr 19, 2013, 6:12 PM
http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/life-size-nude-dancers-in-bronze-finally-adorn-th-ave/article_005db164-f7f3-50c3-a5ce-eadc3a0fc39d.html

The Bronze statues were finally installed on 4th Ave. Besides the great statues, i just wanted to share what an awesome photo this is! wonderful angle of downtown!

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/b1/6b16fa54-c5c4-5771-84cb-8b15c431ba62/516f4fec91f8b.preview-620.jpg
Credit: MIKE CHRISTY / ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Thanks for posting this. Glad they got these sculptures up. My only issue with these sculptures, I wished they weren't that thin. I prefer the shape of Kim K. or Sophia Vergara.:shrug:

Patrick S
Apr 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Port of Tucson is ready to set to sea (http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/port-of-tucson-is-ready-to-set-to-sea/article_997e69e8-a85e-11e2-9700-001a4bcf887a.html)
By Patrick McNamara

With a multi-million dollar investment in infrastructure complete, the Port of Tucson is setting out to sea on a new era.
The multi-modal shipping facility on the southeast side will start receiving and shipping international containers by the end of this month.
“This is a true inland port,” said Alan Levin, who along with his family owns the Port of Tucson, on the north side of Interstate 10 at Kolb Road.
The Port of Tucson expansion includes the addition of miles of track to facilitate the loading and unloading of trains pulling more than 100 freight cars.
“We’ve got 10 miles of track here,” Levin said.
Levin and son Mike said the advent of international shipping at the facility would not only benefit their company and the tenant companies at Port of Tucson warehouses, but would create more opportunities for the regional economy.
“What we have here is really a regional asset,” Mike Levin said.
With international shipping, containers can be unloaded at the port in Long Beach, Calif., put directly on train cars and unloaded for warehousing and distribution at the Port of Tucson.
“None of these containers will ever be on asphalt,” Alan Levin said, meaning that the goods being transported won’t have to move by truck before getting to Port of Tucson.
Because the Port of Tucson can now receive and ship international containers, the importance for the facility and the region as a logistics hub will grow, the Levins said.
“We have a vision for filling this up with companies that work in logistics,” Mike Levin said.
An additional way that the Levins hope to facilitate more international freightage business for their Port of Tucson and the region involves working with the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Port of Tucson is part of an active the Foreign Trade Zone that facilitates the export of produce grown in Mexico and other exports that get transported though the ports of entry in Nogales.
The Levins want the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) to agree to allow heavier containers on highways when en route to a shipping facility such as the Port of Tucson.
Ship-bound containers can carry a heavier payload than domestic containers, said Stefan Baumann, director of business development for Port of Tucson.
“The potential is huge,” Baumann said.
An area that could benefit from that is the fresh produce industry in Nogales.
“We support the concept,” said Lance Jungmeyer, president of Nogales-based Fresh Produce Association of the Americas.
Jungmeyer said Mexican-grown kabocha squash are a popular grocery item in Japan. If an international-sized container of the squash was packed in Mexico it could feasibly be shipped for less cost through the Port of Tucson if the weight exception was implemented.
“Any effort that can reduce the cost would be significantly beneficial to the produce industry,” he said.
Under current conditions, produce might be packed in one size container in Mexico, repacked into another size to be trucked to a rail hub where it would be stacked on a railcar then repacked into another size container after reaching the shipyard in Long Beach.
All of that handling costs time and money.
“That’s one of the benefits I see,” Jungmeyer said, adding that distributors of other produce items also could gain from a streamlined distribution process.
Tucson Regional Economic Opportunities (TREO) is also on board.
“It means that there’s more capacity and connectivity so that more goods can move through the region,” said Laura Shaw, senior vice president of marketing and communications for TREO.
She said said TREO plans to work with the Port of Tucson on the proposal and facilitate talks with ADOT.
The Port of Tucson consists of 264 acres with more than 2 million square feet of warehouse and industrial space.
Currently, there are 13 tenants at the property.
In addition to the developed areas, the Levins own acreage north and east of the Port of Tucson. Those properties could be developed for more logistics-related companies, warehousing, industrial or manufacturing.
“It could be used for a variety of things,” Mike Levin said.
Alan Levin started purchasing property around the current Port in the 1990s. The Port of Tucson began operations in 2004.

aznate27
Apr 22, 2013, 6:55 PM
Don't let the title bring you down...there was a bit of good news in the article...

Tucson growth rated in bottom 10 (http://azstarnet.com/business/local/tucson-growth-rated-in-bottom/article_2e646843-f6a4-54d0-9279-b137da37c0c0.html)

County, city are aware of problem, working to recruit new businesses

Tucson is not a slick, corporate city.

A new MarketWatch report, "Top Cities for Business Growth 2012," plants Tucson in the bottom 10. While it's not surprising, it should be seen as a sign to shake up the city's image, leaders say.

"The county and city are aware of it and working on it," said Mike Holmes, executive director of Imagine Greater Tucson, noting that government officials are working to streamline regulations and create incentive packages for recruiting new businesses.

Our biggest problem, Holmes said, is the inability to retain young professionals graduating from the University of Arizona.

"The environment we've built is not friendly to the young professional generation," he said. "The 20-year-olds and 30-year-olds spent a good chunk of time strapped to the back seat of a minivan. They don't like to drive" and want to ability to walk, bicycle or have modern public transportation.

The city is not yet equipped to accommodate an urban lifestyle and living here requires a car to get around, Holmes said.

"We're going to have to live with the sprawl that we have, but a little bit of vertical development along our major thoroughfares would be a good start," he said. "That doesn't mean high-rises everywhere, but it does mean taking up those empty lots."

Click on link for full article....

Ted Lyons
Apr 22, 2013, 7:28 PM
IGT gets it. A lot of these organizations that are trying to improve Tucson are headed by people who exist in the same realm as Fletcher McCusker and Scott Stiteler and they realize that, for their businesses to grow, they need the city to grow and become more of a destination for prospective employees as well as consumers.

cdsuofa
Apr 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
I was reading that article above about the Port of Tucson and I also read this article http://tibo.zxq.net/wordpress/?p=613 and the economic impact could be huge if Tucson plays its cards right with this.

Ted Lyons
Apr 23, 2013, 1:56 AM
I was reading that article above about the Port of Tucson and I also read this article http://tibo.zxq.net/wordpress/?p=613 and the economic impact could be huge if Tucson plays its cards right with this.

That's a good summary of what's at stake. Related to this is the proposed rail yard at Picacho Peak which, although not in Tucson proper, would benefit the city greatly. As much as I advocate for environmentalism, if the major holdups to that project are that it's visually unappealing and loud, people need to get real. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but, if there are no demonstrable environmental impacts to the area beyond the destruction of the land needed to build the yard, it sounds like a winning idea.

nickw252
Apr 23, 2013, 3:30 AM
That's a good summary of what's at stake. Related to this is the proposed rail yard at Picacho Peak which, although not in Tucson proper, would benefit the city greatly. As much as I advocate for environmentalism, if the major holdups to that project are that it's visually unappealing and loud, people need to get real. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but, if there are no demonstrable environmental impacts to the area beyond the destruction of the land needed to build the yard, it sounds like a winning idea.

I'm an environmentalist also and am never in favor of destroying nature, but in this case I'm looking at the big picture. This big rail yard may be able to take thousands of semis off the road. Not only is rail transportation more energy efficient but it also uses less land (fewer highways, roads and other infrastructure that is already overused and underfunded as the federal gas tax hasn't gone up in 20 years, since 1993).

Building more rail infrastructure is a big win for both central and southern Arizona businesses and environmentalists.

Ted Lyons
Apr 23, 2013, 3:39 AM
I'm an environmentalist also and am never in favor of destroying nature, but in this case I'm looking at the big picture. This big rail yard may be able to take thousands of semi's off the road. Not only is rail transportation more energy efficient but it also uses less land (fewer highways, roads and other infrastructure that is already overused and underfunded as the federal gas tax hasn't gone up in 20 years, since 1993).

Building more rail infrastructure is a big win for both central and southern Arizona businesses and environmentalists.

Great point and we haven't gotten into the public safety issues which also favor rail. I think most of us on here are in support of more rail infrastructure.

cdsuofa
Apr 23, 2013, 4:29 AM
Great point and we haven't gotten into the public safety issues which also favor rail. I think most of us on here are in support of more rail infrastructure.
Definitely, most of us on here are in favor of progress as well but thats always been the big problem with Tucson there are a lot of people that want this town to stay the way it was 10 years ago (retirees & snowbirds). I hope some form of a large rail distribution point takes hold here or near Tucson because with that comes so many other economic opportunities.

Ted Lyons
Apr 23, 2013, 5:17 AM
Definitely, most of us on here are in favor of progress as well but thats always been the big problem with Tucson there are a lot of people that want this town to stay the way it was 10 years ago (retirees & snowbirds). I hope some form of a large rail distribution point takes hold here or near Tucson because with that comes so many other economic opportunities.

The plus for those of us who support the project is that Pinal County's leaders will pretty much do anything to increase revenues and there's not much people here can do about it.

nickw252
Apr 24, 2013, 4:28 AM
Beal | Derkenne Construction began work on the third student housing project within the past 18 months, this one in Tucson.

The project is called Park Avenue. With the work progressing on schedule and the crane foundation in place, the site is getting ready for the rebar installation.

Park Avenue will include 13 stories above and two stories below ground in total, 12 of them to be home to 163 apartments featuring high-end student housing with amenities including a full service deck on the 10th floor with exterior pool and spa.

The first floor will encompass 9,000 SF of retail area to facilitate the day-to-day student needs.

Park Avenue’s entire building will total 249,903 SF of student housing, close to the University of Arizona.

“Beal | Derkenne Construction is looking forward to work closely with the architect (Shepley Bulfinch) and Campus Acquisitions (the client), to ensure that every single aspect of the project is executed with utmost work approach BDC is known for,” said Michael Derkenne, owner and co-founder of Des Moines-based Beal | Derkenne Construction upon project start.

The day-to-day work will be overseen by Senior Project Manager Dave Linneen, with an anticipated project delivery date of July 2014.

http://azremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/rsz_se_corner_of_job.jpg

AZRE (http://azremagazine.com/economic-development/beal-derkenne-3rd-student-housing-project-18-months)

nickw252
Apr 24, 2013, 4:53 AM
Deleted