PDA

View Full Version : Tucson Development Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85

Ted Lyons
Apr 15, 2012, 5:35 AM
The local soccer promoters should convince the county to convert Kino Stadium to a permanent soccer facility, as well as the adjacent practice diamonds.

Step one: https://www.facebook.com/events/202663529849350/

Via Greg Foster.
"We think we will be on the Pima County Board of Supervisors agenda Tuesday, April 17 (although no formal announcement has been made). We are proposing a partnership between FC Tucson, Pima County and Kino Sports Complex to convert 5 training fields at the North Complex at Kino Sports Complex from baseball to soccer. The remaining 7 training fields south of Ajo and the Kino Veteran's Memorial Stadium would remain baseball fields. We will wrap the lighted field at the North Complex with bleachers seating 2000 fans. This will serve as FC Tucson's home field.

This would support 10 MLS teams for preseason in 2013. We will also expand MLS preseason here to include the Desert Diamond Cup and Desert Diamond Friendlies (which will have low ticket prices and probably be played at the FC Tucson home field).

We will also host youth games and FC Tucson branded camps and clinics.

Without the fields, we may struggle to host MLS preseason here in the future. We would love to have your support at the Board meeting April 17! "

FC Tucson is requesting as much public support as possible at the meeting. I'm working that day, otherwise I'd go myself.

Patrick S
Apr 15, 2012, 8:44 AM
I doubt that Cunningham's arena proposal will find any traction right now--the city is in no mood to add on more debt (i.e., bonds) to pay for it, and there is no anchor tenant to make it economically viable. As Steve Kozachik said in a recent news interview, a new arena will cost at least $200M (and that's for a smaller version without a second tier that seats a maximum of 15,000).

The Rio Nuevo board needs to get focused on expanding and updating the TCC (which is their primary responsibility as mandated by the state). If that happens, we'll probably see several new hotel proposals move forward, including one for the Thrifty block, which should then spur further interest in development around the convention center. (And let's not even think about cutting a deal with Bert Lopez to rehab his junky Hotel Arizona.) At that point, a private entity might step up to build a new arena, although they would undoubtedly want lots of concessions and help from the city to make it work (just like Garfield-Traub did with the failed Sheraton proposal).

As far as professional sports, I agree that Tucson's best hope is probably with an MLS team. The local soccer promoters should convince the county to convert Kino Stadium to a permanent soccer facility, as well as the adjacent practice diamonds. Any potential Japanese or MLB spring training games could be played at Hi Corbett and negotiated through the UofA, who is now the main tenant.

I agree, the new arena is a long-shot, but I thought it was worth noting. I also saw Kozachik's interview on TV, and he is far from thrilled about building a new arena. I also agree with you about Lopez. The whole thing with him is just shady. I disagree with you, though, about Kino Stadium being retrofitted for an MLS team, for a few reasons. (1) I've heard grumblings, and I want to say these were only rumors and speculations, that the Phoenix market, as far as MLB Spring Training is over-extended right now. Most teams, especially those in the far out suburbs (and those not named the AZ Diamondbacks and the Chicago Scrubs - sorry, I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan) are not drawing as well as the teams would like (and I was at a Cubs/D-Backs game in Mesa in March and I was surprised it wasn't sold out, though there was a nice crowd). I hear there are a couple of teams whose leases run out with their cities or ball-parks in a couple of years, and I've heard some of them might be interested in at least exploring the option of moving down here where there is no (or little, if a couple teams come) competition. In that case, if 2 come down, or especially if 3 do, they would need 2 stadiums (Kino as well as Hi-Corbitt). (2) I've been to both stadiums and Kino is much nicer, and Hi-Corbitt is out-dated. I remember Marana was interested in building a sports complex that could be used to house MLB Spring-Training, but that was a couple years ago, and I haven't heard anything about that in a while. (3) The main reason that Kino has had such a problem drawing people is that they didn't build it downtown. They built it out on the south side of the city, right off I-10 (with an exit leading to a degrading 2-lane road - they could have at least built the 1-mile or so road from I-10 to the stadium into a 4-lane road). If the stadium had been built downtown, or at least somewhere more centralized, we might never have lost the D-Backs AAA team, or our Spring-Training. (4) Kino Stadium has a team right now, the Tucson Padres (though, partly for the reason stated directly above, they are not drawing that well - though part of the reason may also be that no one knows if the team will be a permanent fixture here, since they were originally supposed to be here for 2 years, through this year, before moving to the San Diego area, though the ballpark they were supposed to build for them has been abandoned - rumors are the team is for sale, and no one from Tucson has shown any interest in buying the team to keep them here).

Now, I know that it seems silly that I'm saying Kino Stadium was built in the wrong place for it to be a success, and I'm also saying we should keep it for baseball so that we can lure teams here (or keep the Padres), but I think that if we were to get an MLS team we should build a stadium downtown (if we could find the room). It would help bring people to downtown, be located right by I-10, close to the U of A (the other major sports draw in town), and close to the streetcar. Kino Stadium, despite its drawbacks of location, is a nice stadium. I think baseball can still be, at least somewhat, successful there (and I think that in the future, as the city builds more east, south, and south-east - remember the city has some 50 + square miles of annexed land that's all but vacant, most of it southeast of I-10 - Kino will actually become somewhat more desirable a location and easier to access for more people), but if we are going to invest in an MLS team, with a true desire of keeping this team, I think we'd need a stadium build downtown.

Patrick S
Apr 15, 2012, 8:47 AM
Step one: https://www.facebook.com/events/202663529849350/

FC Tucson is requesting as much public support as possible at the meeting. I'm working that day, otherwise I'd go myself.

I'm a little more in line with this way of thinking. I could get behind this proposal of converting some of the practice fields to soccer.

phxSUNSfan
Apr 15, 2012, 9:05 PM
(1) I've heard grumblings, and I want to say these were only rumors and speculations, that the Phoenix market, as far as MLB Spring Training is over-extended right now. Most teams, especially those in the far out suburbs (and those not named the AZ Diamondbacks and the Chicago Scrubs - sorry, I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan) are not drawing as well as the teams would like...

What you wrote is untrue as this year was ANOTHER record-breaking year for attendance and revenue for the Cactus League. Not sure where you are hearing these rumors, but they are inaccurate. Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2012/04/03/20120403cactus-league-attendance-rises-boosting-valley-tourism.html

2011 was a record-breaking year and 2012 broke those attendance records. Of course teams would like to sell-out every game but it is very unlikely that every single team will ever sellout every single game.

EDIT: note that in the article, it explains that tourism in Arizona is helped by an increase in Cactus League attendance. I'm sure Tucson and N. Arizona (Grand Canyon, Flag, Sedona, etc.) also benefit from those traveling to Phoenix to see their teams.

Ted Lyons
Apr 16, 2012, 4:12 AM
Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.

MLS in Phoenix hasn't seriously been discussed in three or four years. For better or worse, the interest doesn't seem to be there right now.

Soccer is a hot topic in tucson right now due to the success of DDC but it's a long shot MLS would ever consider Tucson, or Phoenix at this point, as a viable market for a team.

First, the buy-in for a team right now is $50 million plus (potentially $100 million if the league extends the price of the next NY team to future expansion as well).

Second, every future team is expected to have a sustainable stadium situation in place. Unless the Bidwills decided to squeeze some more money out of their tight @sses in the near future to subsidize rental costs for a team, no current facility in Arizona would fit this criteria.

This means a team would be looking at $50 to $100 million in sunk costs plus stadium construction/renovation costs. I just don't see any investment groups willing to put up that kind of money in Arizona right now.

Patrick S
Apr 16, 2012, 8:34 AM
What you wrote is untrue as this year was ANOTHER record-breaking year for attendance and revenue for the Cactus League. Not sure where you are hearing these rumors, but they are inaccurate. Also, an MLS team has been talked about in Phoenix for a while now. Exactly when this club, named Phoenix Rising, would be established is still unknown and the effort to bring a team to Phoenix is rather weak as of now.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/2012/04/03/20120403cactus-league-attendance-rises-boosting-valley-tourism.html

2011 was a record-breaking year and 2012 broke those attendance records. Of course teams would like to sell-out every game but it is very unlikely that every single team will ever sellout every single game.

EDIT: note that in the article, it explains that tourism in Arizona is helped by an increase in Cactus League attendance. I'm sure Tucson and N. Arizona (Grand Canyon, Flag, Sedona, etc.) also benefit from those traveling to Phoenix to see their teams.

You are right, as the article points out, the Cactus League did hit a new attendance record of 1.68 million fans (+ 5.6% from the 2011 record-breaking year), with one game left to play as of the writing of the article on 4/3/12. But, when you delve a little deeper into the statistics the article provided (teams average attendance and the increase - or decrease) from last year's attendance, you see that, as I said in my post, some teams are doing well, others, not so much. I've crunched some numbers, and shown the average % of capacity for teams, the average over/under of attendance for teams from the average Cactus League (CL) game, and the percentage under average attendance for those who did not draw as much as the average CL game (8 of the 15 teams did not average as much as the CL game average).

Some notes: The Angles increased average attendance from last year by 47%, no doubt bumped by the addition of Albert Pujols - The Brewers average 78.23% capacity, but in a stadium that seats only 94.34% of the average CL game attendance - The Reds were worst in capacity average (37.50%) and in average attendance compared to average CL game attendance (-47.88%) - The Indians, despite drawing 25% more fans than last year (2nd highest jump), were 3rd worst in capacity average (47.44%) and 2nd worst in average attendance compared to average CL game attendance (-36.97%) - according to the article: "The six East Valley teams -- the Diamondbacks, Angels, Cubs, Rockies, San Francisco Giants, and Athletics -- accounted for about 52 percent of 15-team league attendance." - meaning that 40% (6/15) of the teams accounted for 52% of the average attendance, and all 5 of the top drawing teams (and 5 of the 7 teams to draw over 70% capacity) were in the West Valley.

Also of note: according to the article - "League average was 7,420, in 227 games up 8.3 percent from a year ago." (even though the article also reported that attendance increased 5.6%, yet average game attendance increased 8.3%)

- D'Backs - 11,677 (+ 4.6%) - Salt River Fields (Talking Stick, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Scottsdale) - Capacity 11,000 - Over 100% capacity - 4,257 over average CL game attendance
- Giants - 10,520 (+4.8%) - Scottsdale Stadium (Scottsdale) - Capacity 12,000 - 87.67% capacity - 3,100 over average CL game attendance
- Rockies - 10,468 (-1.23%) - Salt River Fields (Talking Stick, Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community, Scottsdale) - Capacity 11,000 - 95.16% capacity - 3,048 over average CL game attendance
- Cubs - 9,580 (+1.45%) - HoHoKam Stadium (Mesa) - Capacity 12,623 - 75.89% capacity - 2,160 over average CL game attendance
- Angles - 8,675 (+47%) - Temp Diablo Stadium (Tempe) - Capacity 9,558 - 90.76% capacity - 1,255 over average CL game attendance
- Dodgers - 8,118 (+10.2%) - Camelback Ranch (Glendale) - Capacity 10,000 - 81.18% capacity - 698 over average CL game attendance
- Rangers - 7,460 (+8.1%) - Surprise Stadium (Surprise) - Capacity 10,714 - 69.63% capacity - 40 over average CL game attendance
- Mariners - 7,334 (+4.5%) - Peoria Sports Complex (Peoria) - Capacity 12,882 - 56.93% capacity - 86 under average CL game attendance (-1.16%)
- White Sox - 6,137 (+0.33%) - Camelback Ranch (Glendale) - Capacity 10,000 - 61.37% capacity - 1,283 under average CL game attendance (-17.29%)
- A's - 5,798 (+ 15.7%) - Phoenix Municipal Stadium (Phoenix) - Capacity 8,775 - 66.07% capacity - 1,622 under average CL game attendance (-21.86%)
- Padres - 5,486 (+8.4%) - Peoria Sports Complex (Peoria) - Capacity 12,882 - 42.59% capacity - 1,934 under average CL game attendance (-26.06%)
- Brewers - 5,476 (+17.8%) - Maryvale Baseball Park (Phoenix) - Capacity 7,000 - 78.23% capacity (94.34% stadium capacity of average CL game attendance) - 1,944 under average CL game attendance (-26.20%)
- Royals - 5,083 (+4.6%) - Surprise Stadium (Surprise) - Capacity 10,714 - 47.44% capacity - 2,337 under average CL game attendance (-31.50%)
- Indians - 4,677 (+25%) - Goodyear Ballpark (Goodyear) - Capacity 10,311 - 45.36% capacity - 2,743 under average CL game attendance (-36.97%)
- Reds - 3,867 (+2%) - Goodyear Ballpark (Goodyear) - Capacity 10,311 - 37.50% capacity - 3,553 under average CL game attendance (-47.88%)

As for my statement I made about the speculation, I'm not sure where I heard it, or when (I know it was over a year ago though), and as I said, I don't know if anything will come of it for Tucson, but, as healthy as the overall attendance was for the Cactus League, these statistics show that it was not as healthy for all teams, which was my original contention.

PHX31
Apr 16, 2012, 4:59 PM
/\ Care to do the same analysis for the Grapefruit League?

The problem with teams like the Brewers is their crappy stadium in Maryvale that a casual fan wouldn't want to go to. Also, the far west valley teams are in a semi-poor location to draw in casual fans.

The Cactus League failed in Tucson for several reasons, you could say part of it was the stadium was in a poor location, and if they built a brand-spanking new stadium in a good location in Tucson, they might pull in more fans. However, and this is HUGE, unless you bring 4-8 teams down there, Tucson isn't a viable location for spring training anymore. The constant travel daily between Phoenix and Tucson for the Rockies and D'backs in Tucson was a huge strain and a big reason they came back up to Phoenix. Putting 1 or 2 teams in a new stadium down there might sound like a good idea and they could possibly draw decent attendance numbers... but I don't think any team will be willing to be separated from the action up in Phoenix and constantly have to travel each day for 2 hours up the I-10 to get to their games.

Patrick S
Apr 16, 2012, 8:39 PM
/\ Care to do the same analysis for the Grapefruit League?

The problem with teams like the Brewers is their crappy stadium in Maryvale that a casual fan wouldn't want to go to. Also, the far west valley teams are in a semi-poor location to draw in casual fans.

The Cactus League failed in Tucson for several reasons, you could say part of it was the stadium was in a poor location, and if they built a brand-spanking new stadium in a good location in Tucson, they might pull in more fans. However, and this is HUGE, unless you bring 4-8 teams down there, Tucson isn't a viable location for spring training anymore. The constant travel daily between Phoenix and Tucson for the Rockies and D'backs in Tucson was a huge strain and a big reason they came back up to Phoenix. Putting 1 or 2 teams in a new stadium down there might sound like a good idea and they could possibly draw decent attendance numbers... but I don't think any team will be willing to be separated from the action up in Phoenix and constantly have to travel each day for 2 hours up the I-10 to get to their games.
You're partly making the point I was making. Older, 'crappy' stadiums, and one's built out in the far-west suburbs (ex-burbs really) of Phoenix, are bringing down the average attendance of some of these clubs (as is, possibly, the over-saturation of the market. That's really the point I was trying to make. Obviously, it is a drive to get down here, and it doesn't help that they're always seeming to be doing work on I-10, but hopefully it will get to at least 3 lanes the whole way before we all die. If we hadn't been hit by the housing crisis and Pinal County had continued to grow at the rate it was, I would think that putting a team or two there, and 2-3 down here would be a good idea. But, I think Tucson could support 2-3 teams down here. Teams would be able to play a couple games amongst themselves, and teams from Phoenix would be able to come down for a couple games/days at a time, just as our teams could head up there for a couple days at a time.

As for the Grapefruit League, I don't have their statistics (the only reason I had the stats for the Cactus League is because of the link to the article that provided them in phxSUNSfan's post). But, you have to remember with the Grapefruit League, not all the teams are in one metro area (say Miami, Orlando, or Tampa/St. Pete). They are spread out over a relatively wide area (I say relatively wide because Florida itself is a pretty narrow state, though there are teams in the middle (the Orlando area) and up and down the Atlantic and Gulf coasts.

And again, let me stress, I haven't heard that this is going to happen. I simply heard (or read - I can't even remember where I heard or read this), that there were teams unhappy with their arrangements up in Phoenix, because of a combination of any of these: their locations, their stadiums and their lack of drawing power. These weren't even rumors put out by teams, it was more of people thinking out loud (or in print), suggesting that there might be an opportunity for Tucson to get spring-training back in a couple of years.

PHX31
Apr 16, 2012, 9:11 PM
Teams will never be happy until they have a brand new stadium, so they'll all likely be bitching and moaning.

Where/whoever you read/heard about Tucson being viable (or a possible opportunity)... I can almost guarantee you it isn't unless 4 or more teams relocate there. Two teams (Rockies and Diamondbacks - which should be one of the top draws in the Cactus League no matter where they are) already tried and failed for the reasons we've talked about, you'll need at least 4.

Thirsty
Apr 18, 2012, 1:01 AM
MLS in Phoenix hasn't seriously been discussed in three or four years. For better or worse, the interest doesn't seem to be there right now.

Soccer is a hot topic in tucson right now due to the success of DDC but it's a long shot MLS would ever consider Tucson, or Phoenix at this point, as a viable market for a team.

First, the buy-in for a team right now is $50 million plus (potentially $100 million if the league extends the price of the next NY team to future expansion as well).

Second, every future team is expected to have a sustainable stadium situation in place. Unless the Bidwills decided to squeeze some more money out of their tight @sses in the near future to subsidize rental costs for a team, no current facility in Arizona would fit this criteria.

This means a team would be looking at $50 to $100 million in sunk costs plus stadium construction/renovation costs. I just don't see any investment groups willing to put up that kind of money in Arizona right now.

This goes hand in hand with the money, but what is needed most of all is corporate sponsorship, which Tucson has none. See how the San Francisco Giants became fiercely territorial and eventually scuttled the Oakland A's proposed stadium that would place the A's closer to Silicon Valley.

If I'm not mistaken; Tucson, with the exception of Green Bay, WI, would have the smallest metropolitan population of any pro sports city. The current micro-market cities are home to big business (like New Orleans or Memphis) and they've still got about an additional quarter million residents more than Tucson.

Still a good goal to work toward. It would be a better option than Phoenix because the MLS won't play indoors. At least in Tucson the temp drops when the sun goes down.

phxSUNSfan
Apr 18, 2012, 1:50 AM
This goes hand in hand with the money, but what is needed most of all is corporate sponsorship, which Tucson has none. See how the San Francisco Giants became fiercely territorial and eventually scuttled the Oakland A's proposed stadium that would place the A's closer to Silicon Valley.

If I'm not mistaken; Tucson, with the exception of Green Bay, WI, would have the smallest metropolitan population of any pro sports city. The current micro-market cities are home to big business (like New Orleans or Memphis) and they've still got about an additional quarter million residents more than Tucson.

Still a good goal to work toward. It would be a better option than Phoenix because the MLS won't play indoors. At least in Tucson the temp drops when the sun goes down.

I don't think the MLS is opposed to indoor play. Phoenix hosts a few MLS games every year at Chase Field (like the Reto Del Sol). Of course the surface is natural grass and the roof opens so that may have something to do with it. They've also played at the UofP Stadium before but again, that is like playing outdoors.

The MLS season is long (March-Dec) with each team playing 34 games. Only a few home games would be played in July and August; therefore, if Tucson or Phoenix were to get a team, heat wouldn't be an issue. They play outdoors in Houston and the humidity and heat get nasty.

With the Cactus League, some teams are "under-performing" yet they are all (except Colorado) continually increasing attendance. So it isn't an issue with stadium location or market saturation. Stadium locations in Phoenix aren't the problem so much as the economy in my opinion. Especially when it concerns teams with lower attendance, like the Reds since the Ohio economy is amongst the weakest. If the Cactus League expands, I could see Tucson getting back into the mix if a stadium is upgraded and if Tuscon/Pima County sponsor more teams...a long shot no less.

andrewsaturn
Apr 18, 2012, 8:44 AM
Here is a video of the streetcar celebration that took place on April 12, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhw7ssZVr0&feature=relmfu

@.32 the guy on the far left shoveled his sand outside the sandbox lol! I thought that was funny...:P

Here's another 3D animation of the extended version of the streetcar. It shows it going through UMC, under speedway, and through 2nd street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TDDD6KDGP0&feature=related

andrewsaturn
Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 AM
I also was thinking if a new stadium was going to be built for MLS, it should be near downtown particularly west of the 1-10 where there is some vacant land.

http://www.peteykins.com/sparklepics5/DowntownTucson.jpg

I think the stadium would have looked great in that vacant land but the mission gardens and old folk's home being built, it probably wouldn't work...

acatalanb
Apr 18, 2012, 1:32 PM
City OKs business district offering property-tax breaks

A new central business district, allowing some businesses to have their property taxes abated as soon as next year, was approved unanimously by the City Council on Tuesday.

The council's action, which creates both a redevelopment area and a central business district, covers much of downtown and the west side. The district includes several fingers that extend from downtown along roads such as North Stone Avenue, North Oracle Road, the Interstate 10 frontage road both north and south of downtown and the west side of Aviation Parkway south to East 22nd Street.

Many residential areas near downtown were removed from the central business district, as was the site for Tucson Origins Heritage Park on the west side.

The council approved the district with almost no discussion.

Properties within the district that fit specific criteria could see their property taxes waived for up to eight years. Not every property will be able to sign up, however.

Only properties that would be designated as a significant redevelopment project would be considered. The property-tax abatements could not occur for one year from Tuesday's vote.

To qualify, the city would have to take ownership of the property and then lease it back to the owner, who would make improvements on it.
An independent third-party analysis must show, except in the case of residential rental housing, that the state, county and city will get more out of it than the developer will. The improvement has to result in a 100 percent increase in the property value.

One of the first projects likely to be considered is the Hotel Arizona on Broadway, owned by Humberto Lopez, who is negotiating a deal with the city to have the site-specific taxes given to him to pay off renovation debt for improving the hotel.

Any historic buildings would have to be improved in a way that maintains the historic status. In addition, eminent domain is "not anticipated as a primary objective" and is not expected to be used as part of the redevelopment area, city officials said. To use eminent domain, the city would have to prove that every individual property is blighted in order to take the property.

Contact reporter Rob O'Dell at rodell@azstarnet.com or 807-8465.

Copyright 2012 Arizona Daily Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

original article here (http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/city-oks-business-district-offering-property-tax-breaks/article_5f96ef39-983f-521a-8581-24f3f9d8d780.html)

Repost some links provided by posters here :
World Architecture News (http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/index.php?fuseaction=wanappln.shownewsinpictures&page=1)
Urbika (http://www.urbika.com/)
Populous (http://populous.com/)
Nussli - better put up that temporary Women's Beach Volleyball stadium while waiting to build a permanent one ... just to keep the ball rolling (http://www.nussli.us/) ;)

Hugh Hefner, how about building a 20(+) storey Playboy mixed used complex right by Miracle Mile ... with a strip club on the top floor and a casino at the bottom. I'd move ... in a heart beat till my dying day.

Skyscraperites, we have won half the battle!!! :notacrook:

... the other half? Crosstown Freeway

kaneui
Apr 18, 2012, 6:39 PM
The county's decision to convert the five baseball diamonds north of Ajo Way at the Kino Sports Complex to soccer fields signals Tucson's commitment to the growth of MLS spring training and the Desert Diamond Cup event, as well as providing a permanent home for the FC Tucson team:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/Field5conversion-KinoSportsComplex.jpg
Conversion of Field 5 to a permanent soccer facility is already underway.
(photo: FC Tucson)

Soccer fields taking shape at Kino
Pima County Board of Supervisors OK switch from baseball

by Becky Pallack
Arizona Daily Star
April 18, 2012

Game on. The Pima County Board of Supervisors gave the go-ahead Tuesday for permanent and semi-permanent soccer fields at the Kino Sports Complex. A one-year agreement between the county and the FC Tucson soccer team is being finalized. The agreement will help FC Tucson bring big events, including Major League Soccer spring training, to Tucson. "This is an important step in bringing some professional sports back into our community," said supervisor Richard Elías, who wore his scarf from the FC Tucson supporters group, the Cactus Pricks.

Work to convert the fields has already begun. Here's what needs to be done:

• A backhoe is digging six inches deep to remove the clay infield on Field 5, which will become the home field for the semi-pro team.

• Next, the first base foul-line fence will be moved back about 10 feet to allow for a rectangle-shaped field instead of a diamond, said Chris Bartos, director of the Pima County Stadium District.

• In about three weeks, giant rolls of sod will be laid out over a sand base.

• Later, bleacher seating for up to 2,000 fans and concession stands will be installed close to the west edge of the field. "You're going to be a lot closer to the action," Bartos said.

• After that, when time and money allow, will come the scoreboard, press box, an autograph area, and other features, Bartos said.

• Later this year, four more fields north of Ajo Way will be converted to soccer fields. They'll stay that way as long as soccer is growing and successful, said Pima County administrator Chuck Huckelberry.

New fields boost chances for big events
Officials hope having five high-quality fields and a soccer stadium will help Tucson land big events.

• Major League Soccer: FC Tucson plans to draw 10 teams for spring training next year and plans to bid on hosting the MLS Combine.

• Semi-pro soccer: FC Tucson's home field will be Field 5 at Kino, and other Premier Development League teams will play here.

• Youth events: "We constantly hear from folks in Phoenix and elsewhere: 'We don't want to go to Tucson and play on dirt and rocks,'" said Ted Schmidt, president of the Tucson Soccer Academy.

• Soccer tourism: Businessman Bruce Washburn said events like the Desert Diamond Cup and regional youth tournaments mean sales for hotels and restaurants.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/soccer-fields-taking-shape-at-kino/article_8fc9e9f3-c268-52af-ac8b-031ce96bd4c3.html

http://fctucson.com/team/

Ritarancher
Apr 19, 2012, 12:13 AM

Tucson may be one of the smallest but we have about 1,000,000 people alone and 2 hours away we have 4.5 million in Phoenix and within four hours south we have Hermosillo and Nogales (Mexico) totaling to about 1,000,000 so I think we have the audience. Tucson area will get about half a million people in 2020 so I think we are a better option than New Orleans and Memphis audience wise. Honestly i think that Tucson and Phoenix will all be one city soon. We need a major league team.

Ritarancher
Apr 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
I also was thinking if a new stadium was going to be built for MLS, it should be near downtown particularly west of the 1-10 where there is some vacant land.

http://www.peteykins.com/sparklepics5/DowntownTucson.jpg

I think the stadium would have looked great in that vacant land but the mission gardens and old folk's home being built, it probably wouldn't work...

I don't think we need the mission gardens. I wouldn't mind there being a mls arena there. It would be really nice if the arena can come with the rainbow bridge......

BrandonJXN
Apr 19, 2012, 12:27 AM
Enough with the Rainbow Bridge already. Downtown Tucson needs more than a bridge to nowhere. Wouldn't you rather see a more developed Tucson or a bridge that will most likely be comparable to the Rattlesnake Bridge on Broadway.

Ritarancher
Apr 19, 2012, 1:02 AM
Enough with the Rainbow Bridge already. Downtown Tucson needs more than a bridge to nowhere. Wouldn't you rather see a more developed Tucson or a bridge that will most likely be comparable to the Rattlesnake Bridge on Broadway.

This bridge will be compared to the Space Needle, Gateway arch and other landmarks.

Anqrew
Apr 19, 2012, 5:14 AM
This bridge will be compared to the Space Needle, Gateway arch and other landmarks.

:haha::haha::tup:

Ted Lyons
Apr 19, 2012, 5:26 AM
I don't think the MLS is opposed to indoor play.

Obviously not. Vancouver plays indoors. Again, though, where is that going to happen in Phoenix that is a sustainable situation for an MLS team?

Phoenix hosts a few MLS games every year at Chase Field (like the Reto Del Sol). Of course the surface is natural grass and the roof opens so that may have something to do with it. They've also played at the UofP Stadium before but again, that is like playing outdoors.

These events have all been preseason matches that aren't governed by the league's demands for profitable stadium setups.

The MLS season is long (March-Dec) with each team playing 34 games. Only a few home games would be played in July and August

The regular season actually is only from March through October. Regardless, July and August aren't the only hot months in Arizona.

Patrick S
Apr 19, 2012, 5:37 AM

Yeah, I never understood why the Giants stopped the A's from moving farther away (though, not by much). My guess is it had to do with the fact that San Jose is one of the richest cities in the country. Now they have a choice of the Giants or the A's, so the Giants would get most (I assume) of the business over Oakland, but if the A's went to San Jose, there would be less people coming to San Francisco when they could just stay in San Jose.

phxSUNSfan
Apr 19, 2012, 5:54 AM
[1]Obviously not. Vancouver plays indoors. Again, though, where is that going to happen in Phoenix that is a sustainable situation for an MLS team?

[2]These events have all been preseason matches that aren't governed by the league's demands for profitable stadium setups.

[3]The regular season actually is only from March through October. Regardless, July and August aren't the only hot months in Arizona.

1)No one is actually talking about this seriously? At least I am not and these are all just "what if's" from my point of view. IF the corporate sponsorship was there a deal could be worked out with the Cardinals like the Sounders and Seahawks have done for years. OR, since we are speculating, the now unused Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Papago Park (which cools off faster than the surrounding city since it is just acres of parkland) could be converted into an MLS sized stadium with bonds from Phoenix and the County...perhaps even co-sponsored by Tempe.

Some vacant land near Tempe Town Lake would also be a nice and cooler spot for a small MLS stadium. Most stadiums in the MLS are between 10,000-20,000 and would be easy for a market the size of Phoenix to fill. That would be especially true if built along the light rail corridor. It would be within the "Discovery Triangle" of Phoenix and Tempe and an investment in a stadium could possibly qualify for federal, state, and local funds making it easier to attract corporate sponsorships from Phoenix headquartered corporations. But again this is just wild speculation and talk on THIS thread (and why it is not a topic in one of the Phoenix threads).

2)True, those are preseason matches but they are MLS friendlies, nonetheless. Those matches show there is demand for soccer in Phoenix...Arizona for that matter.

3)Right, March-October, December is post-season matches...and you are right that there are other "hot" months in AZ besides July and August, however those are the months when nighttime temperatures in Phoenix remain uncomfortable. Between May and June, and starting again in September, the evenings cool off nicely.

Beyond the wild speculation of a Rainbow Bridge, MLS team, and Phoenix and Tucson growing into one big burb (which would be terrible, and thankfully unlikely) I think money would be spent more wisely on commuter trains between Phoenix and Tucson. If the U.S. ever invests in high speed rail, an L.A. to Phoenix to Tucson line would make huge economic sense. L.A. to Phoenix is one of the busiest routes for air traffic. Throw in Tucson and it would make an even nicer case for high speed rail investment.

bleunick
Apr 19, 2012, 4:15 PM

No it wont.

Ted Lyons
Apr 19, 2012, 7:35 PM
First, I don't understand how every time you post here we end up talking about Phoenix rather than Tucson, but . . .

1)No one is actually talking about this seriously?

Yeah, no stakeholders are talking about this seriously. I don't think MLS has ever specified that Phoenix is a target market.

IF the corporate sponsorship was there a deal could be worked out with the Cardinals like the Sounders and Seahawks have done for years.

These two situations are apples and oranges. First, Century Link was built with the promise of bringing MLS to Seattle. It took years, but it happened and Vulcan Sports, which owns the stadium and has ownership interests in both tenants, gives the Sounders equal footing with the Seahawks. The Bidwills, who are notorious cheapskates, are pretty much the only investors who could step into a similar role in Phoenix.

Some vacant land near Tempe Town Lake would also be a nice and cooler spot for a small MLS stadium. Most stadiums in the MLS are between 10,000-20,000 and would be easy for a market the size of Phoenix to fill.

Aside from San Jose, ~18,000 is about the minimum for new MLS stadiums.

2)True, those are preseason matches but they are MLS friendlies, nonetheless. Those matches show there is demand for soccer in Phoenix...Arizona for that matter.

New York has only played Mexican teams in Phoenix and there's no argument that there's a demand for the FMF in Phoenix. The question is what would attendance have been if New York had been playing New England?

Beyond the wild speculation of a Rainbow Bridge, MLS team, and Phoenix and Tucson growing into one big burb (which would be terrible, and thankfully unlikely) I think money would be spent more wisely on commuter trains between Phoenix and Tucson.

Aside from you and the two trolls who frequent this thread, no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is talking about the Rainbow Bridge, so you don't have to worry about money being wasted on that.

kaneui
Apr 21, 2012, 3:49 AM
If all goes well with the ongoing widening of I-10 that will route Prince Rd. over the freeway and the railroad, ADOT will do similar reconfigurations for the Ruthrauff Rd. and Ina Rd. interchanges further north:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/PrinceRdI-10interchangeconstr.jpg
A new intersection is being added at Prince Road and Business Center Drive in foreground.
(photo: Pulice Construction)

Tucson Juggles Traffic, Utilities and History to Flip Interchange Grade
By Scott Blair
Southwest Construction
03/27/2012

A major interchange is undergoing a role reversal in Arizona's second-largest metropolitan area. Designed to solve traffic headaches and a dire safety problem, the Interstate-10, Prince to Ruthrauff roads project in Tucson is "flipping" the grade of Prince Road so that it will pass over, instead of under, I-10. The revamp is part of a $76.4-million effort to widen I-10 along a two-mile stretch to eight lanes from six. Crews have to contend with six lanes of traffic at all times, a major railroad route and multiple utilities—all while keeping an eye out for potential archaeological finds.

Utilitarian
Since last fall, nearly all of the project's first 180 days have been devoted to relocating 15 separate utility lines that criss-cross the construction zone. Utilities include high-pressure petroleum and gas lines, sewer and water lines, electric power and telecommunications. "It was basically an underground utility interchange," says Jody Rodriguez, utility coordinator with the Tucson office of URS, a design subconsultant.

Crews relocated 72-in.-dia and 78-in.-dia sewer lines with flows of around 22 million gallons per day. The contractor advanced four jack-and-bore operations, including a 450-ft-long, 60-in.-dia casing under I-10 to reroute sewer flow. As is typical, crews found utility lines that didn't match the positions indicated on the as-builts. Surprisingly, some of the existing joint trenches were encased in concrete and had to be carefully demolished—in one case, while avoiding damage to a major electrical line, says Edie Griffith-Mettey, senior project manager in the Tucson office of prime consultant AECOM.

Nevertheless, "we've been able to accomplish most all the relocations at this point without a delay to the overall project," says Todd Emery, district engineer with the Arizona Dept. of Transportation. Besides allowing for better access and maintenance, designers had to figure out a way to protect the utilities from the weight of huge embankments and retaining walls required to elevate Prince Road. Thus, they corralled the utilities into a single utility corridor spanned by a 135-ft-long bridge. "Initially, we were going to put in a protection slab. But when we started doing the cost analysis, it was just as expensive to build a bridge," Rodriguez says.

For full article: http://southwest.construction.com/southwest_construction_projects/2012/0327-Tucson-Juggles-Traffic-Utilities-and-History-to-Flip-Interchange-Grade.asp

Ritarancher
Apr 21, 2012, 4:00 AM
Tucson is a great market for MLS, and in my opinion it's better than Phoenix. We are closer to middle class Mexico (nation of soccer) and Tucsonans just like soccer. I would now say that a nice MLS arena here would seat about 25,000 people. Stop talking about Phoenix. They already have pro sports teams (Like my precious coyotes who are in the playoffs for the stanley cup). And just because most cities with pro sports teams have lots of spring training teams doesn't mean that Tucson will be overlooked for that reason. Tucson is not the average city. So stop being pessimistic and complaining that Phoenix will get all of the nice things. We just need to work a little harder to get what we want.

Onto the PHX/TUC High speed train.
This is a great idea! The price is not so great though. I think it's at about 1 billion. The train would benefit us a lot. Helping both economies and reducing traffic on I-10. It would be nice to get to Phoenix in half an hour. And with Phoenix's light rail and some plans for a light rail in the old pueblo (On Kino,Oracle and Broadway) these trains would be a success. I would ride them. More pros are that it helps the environment cons are the decline in passengers at TIA. The PHX/TUC rail is part of a bigger plan to connect Tucson,Phoenix,Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Tucson's unfortunate truth
Tucson is over looked commonly by things like sports teams,high rises, and freeways. I also think that our city was poorly planned. Kolb/Grant should have been a freeway. Aviation Highway is almost useless. Traffic on the two lane parts of I-10 and I-19 are always busy at ANY time of day. Our problem is that people who live in out suburbs use Tucson maintained roads giving us more traffic and less funds. If we made our freeways toll roads we would have more money to fix things up.

To prevent mistakes from happening again Pima county needs to plan for the future. here is a map of what i think should happen.

https://sites.google.com/site/tucsonfreewayidea/

Tucson has lots of suburbs. Our largest are Casas Adobes with 60,000 people and Catalina foothills with 50,000 people and Oro Valley with 40,000 people.

Here is the full list in order.
Tucson 520,119
Casas Adobes 66,795
Catalina Foothills 50,760
Oro Valley 41,011
Marana 34,961
Drexel Heights 27,749
Sahuarita 25,529
Green Valley 21,391
Tanque Verde 16,901
Flowing Wells 16,419
Tucson Estates 12,192
Vail 10,208
Saddlebrooke 9,614
Picture Rocks 9,563
Valencia West 9,355
Catalina 7,569
Avra Valley 6,050
Corona de Tucson 5,675
Summit 5,372
Rincon Valley 5,139
Oracle 3,686
Total 906,058

I don't think some of these places have mayors or a city council. Tucson needs to take over some of these places. Below is a link to the US Census maps. Click on place on the left side of the screen then search Tucson.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/

To make Tucson seem bigger the cities we gain should be; Casas Adobes, Catalina Foothills, Tanque Verde, South Tucson, Flowing Wells, Summit, and Drexel Heights.Giving Tucson 700,000 people.
Our remaining suburbs of: Vail, Corona De Tucson, Sahuarita, Green Valley, Marana, and Oro Valley should all grow large enough to one day handle 100,000 citizens each. Marana is the size to hold about 200,000 people. Vail needs to merge with Rincon Valley and gain land east/southeast of Tucson. Corona de Tucson needs to gain land south of Tucson and Sahuarita also needs some land south of Tucson.

If all those events happen Tucson area would have more control as to what happens and will be over looked less.

Thanks for reading all of this by the way. Im probably just talking random nonsense but thanks anyway.

Ritarancher
Apr 21, 2012, 4:11 AM
1)No one is actually talking about this seriously? At least I am not and these are all just "what if's" from my point of view. IF the corporate sponsorship was there a deal could be worked out with the Cardinals like the Sounders and Seahawks have done for years. OR, since we are speculating, the now unused Phoenix Municipal Stadium in Papago Park (which cools off faster than the surrounding city since it is just acres of parkland) could be converted into an MLS sized stadium with bonds from Phoenix and the County...perhaps even co-sponsored by Tempe.

Some vacant land near Tempe Town Lake would also be a nice and cooler spot for a small MLS stadium. Most stadiums in the MLS are between 10,000-20,000 and would be easy for a market the size of Phoenix to fill. That would be especially true if built along the light rail corridor. It would be within the "Discovery Triangle" of Phoenix and Tempe and an investment in a stadium could possibly qualify for federal, state, and local funds making it easier to attract corporate sponsorships from Phoenix headquartered corporations. But again this is just wild speculation and talk on THIS thread (and why it is not a topic in one of the Phoenix threads).

3)Right, March-October, December is post-season matches...and you are right that there are other "hot" months in AZ besides July and August, however those are the months when nighttime temperatures in Phoenix remain uncomfortable. Between May and June, and starting again in September, the evenings cool off nicely.

Beyond the wild speculation of a Rainbow Bridge, MLS team, and Phoenix and Tucson growing into one big burb (which would be terrible, and thankfully unlikely) I think money would be spent more wisely on commuter trains between Phoenix and Tucson. If the U.S. ever invests in high speed rail, an L.A. to Phoenix to Tucson line would make huge economic sense. L.A. to Phoenix is one of the busiest routes for air traffic. Throw in Tucson and it would make an even nicer case for high speed rail investment.

Screw Phoenix this is about Tucson.

Patrick S
Apr 21, 2012, 5:28 AM
Tucson is a great market for MLS, and in my opinion it's better than Phoenix. We are closer to middle class Mexico (nation of soccer) and Tucsonans just like soccer. I would now say that a nice MLS arena here would seat about 25,000 people. Stop talking about Phoenix. They already have pro sports teams (Like my precious coyotes who are in the playoffs for the stanley cup). And just because most cities with pro sports teams have lots of spring training teams doesn't mean that Tucson will be overlooked for that reason. Tucson is not the average city. So stop being pessimistic and complaining that Phoenix will get all of the nice things. We just need to work a little harder to get what we want.

Onto the PHX/TUC High speed train.
This is a great idea! The price is not so great though. I think it's at about 1 billion. The train would benefit us a lot. Helping both economies and reducing traffic on I-10. It would be nice to get to Phoenix in half an hour. And with Phoenix's light rail and some plans for a light rail in the old pueblo (On Kino,Oracle and Broadway) these trains would be a success. I would ride them. More pros are that it helps the environment cons are the decline in passengers at TIA. The PHX/TUC rail is part of a bigger plan to connect Tucson,Phoenix,Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Tucson's unfortunate truth
Tucson is over looked commonly by things like sports teams,high rises, and freeways. I also think that our city was poorly planned. Kolb/Grant should have been a freeway. Aviation Highway is almost useless. Traffic on the two lane parts of I-10 and I-19 are always busy at ANY time of day. Our problem is that people who live in out suburbs use Tucson maintained roads giving us more traffic and less funds. If we made our freeways toll roads we would have more money to fix things up.

To prevent mistakes from happening again Pima county needs to plan for the future. here is a map of what i think should happen.

https://sites.google.com/site/tucsonfreewayidea/

Tucson has lots of suburbs. Our largest are Casas Adobes with 60,000 people and Catalina foothills with 50,000 people and Oro Valley with 40,000 people.

Here is the full list in order.
Tucson 520,119
Casas Adobes 66,795
Catalina Foothills 50,760
Oro Valley 41,011
Marana 34,961
Drexel Heights 27,749
Sahuarita 25,529
Green Valley 21,391
Tanque Verde 16,901
Flowing Wells 16,419
Tucson Estates 12,192
Vail 10,208
Saddlebrooke 9,614
Picture Rocks 9,563
Valencia West 9,355
Catalina 7,569
Avra Valley 6,050
Corona de Tucson 5,675
Summit 5,372
Rincon Valley 5,139
Oracle 3,686
Total 906,058

I don't think some of these places have mayors or a city council. Tucson needs to take over some of these places. Below is a link to the US Census maps. Click on place on the left side of the screen then search Tucson.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/popmap/

To make Tucson seem bigger the cities we gain should be; Casas Adobes, Catalina Foothills, Tanque Verde, South Tucson, Flowing Wells, Summit, and Drexel Heights.Giving Tucson 700,000 people.
Our remaining suburbs of: Vail, Corona De Tucson, Sahuarita, Green Valley, Marana, and Oro Valley should all grow large enough to one day handle 100,000 citizens each. Marana is the size to hold about 200,000 people. Vail needs to merge with Rincon Valley and gain land east/southeast of Tucson. Corona de Tucson needs to gain land south of Tucson and Sahuarita also needs some land south of Tucson.

If all those events happen Tucson area would have more control as to what happens and will be over looked less.

Thanks for reading all of this by the way. Im probably just talking random nonsense but thanks anyway.

Don't forget, another benefit of high-speed rail is that it takes passenger trains off of lines used for freight trains, meaning goods (freight) can move quicker (and therefore cheaper) from one place to another.

Remember, Vail is looking into the idea of incorporating.

As for your idea for freeways, the problem with it is that it doesn't solve the problem with the built-up parts of the city. True, it will prepare for future growth in the southern part of the city, but as we've seen, the city can barely keep up with growth. There is no way that the city could afford this. True, they could use AzDOT to fund much (with the USDOT hopefully helping), but these agencies are having trouble funding things too (remember the Federal Government hasn't passed a new Highway Appropriations bill, even though the 'current' one expired 3 years ago - they've just been passing year-long extensions since then - and there is no stomach for a new 'stimulus' package, no matter how badly our infrastructure, and our economy needs it). We would need another Regional Transportation Authority (RTA)-type package to build something like your idea, and we're just in the 6th year of the RTA's 20-year life. I actually like the RTA, I think they've done a good job. Tanque Verde (Catalina Hwy. to Houghton) looks great, as does the finished part of Speedway (Camino Seco to Harrison, eventually to Houghton later this year). The newly reconstructed intersections are great (Kolb & Golf Links, Grant & Craycroft, Campbell & Ft. Lowell - to name a few). I'm looking forward to the Streetcar, the Kolb to Tanque Verde/Sabino Canyon-intersection road that will be built soon, the Grant Rd. widening, the Downtown Links, the Campbell overpass at 22nd St. (which should be starting soon) and especially the Houghton Rd. widening. I'm actually impressed with the Houghton Rd. project in a couple of ways. First, they're actually getting out ahead of this, in that the area isn't built up yet. Though the city has built out to parts of Houghton, it is still not anywhere totally built-up. Second, it looks as though they've condensed parts of the construction. It was originally supposed to be done in 11 parts, now it's in 9 parts. Though some of the parts have been pushed back until 2016, according to the project web-sight. Two parts, Irvington to Valencia and 22nd to 5th, though, are scheduled to start this year (though they were scheduled to start in 2010 and 2011, respectively). The Irvington to Valencia route, now includes the Valencia intersection (which was originally part of the Valencia to Old Vail Rd./Mary Ann Cleveland Way intersection (this intersection is the first part done). The 22nd to 5th St. part was only supposed to be just the Broadway/Houghton intersection. The 22nd St. to Broadway part was supposed to be part 8, and Broadway to 5th was half of Part 7 (the rest of 5th to Tanque Verde is the last part - which I don't understand, since Tanque Verde was widened to Houghton already, and Speedway is being widened to Houghton right now - I don't understand why they didn't just do these intersections when they did widened these roads out to Houghton). They've also moved the I-10 to Union Pacific RR crossing from part 10 to part 5, which makes sense because the RR crossing itself is part 4 (used to be part 5), meaning they will be worked on around the same time (in theory).

Here is the link to the Houghton Rd. web-sight: http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/projects/houghton-road

But, back to your idea for the freeways in the southern (undeveloped) parts of Tucson. We're in such a no new taxes mood (which is helping fund the RTA), and would be needed for infrastructure projects this big, that I just don't see that happening.

Here is a couple links about that area, though.

The first, from the Pima Association of Governments (PAG) is the Southeast Area Arterial Study (SEAAS): http://www.pagnet.org/programs/transportationplanning/regionaltransportationplanandstudies/southeastareaarterialstudy/tabid/387/default.aspx

The second, from AzDot's study of an I-10 bypass: http://www.azdot.gov/mpd/systems_planning/PDF/i10bypass/I-10BypassFollowup_TMA_DRAFT_101608%20(3).pdf

andrewsaturn
Apr 21, 2012, 7:33 AM
Aviation Highway is almost useless.

It's not useless to me! I live right near Davis-Monthan and I use it all the time to get to the UofA. If it wasn't there, traffic would be way worse and whenever I don't take aviation, it adds at least 15min to my commute in the mornings.

Patrick S
Apr 21, 2012, 3:54 PM
It's not useless to me! I live right near Davis-Monthan and I use it all the time to get to the UofA. If it wasn't there, traffic would be way worse and whenever I don't take aviation, it adds at least 15min to my commute in the mornings.

Yeah, I live on Prudence, just north of 22nd Street. Sometimes I take Golf Links to Aviation when I'm going to school at the U of A. I usually knocks 10 minutes off my trips too.

Anqrew
Apr 21, 2012, 8:52 PM
its really hard to find a use for Aviation Highway for me. the only time i ever used it frequently was when i had classes at Pima East, i live by the UA.

aznate27
Apr 21, 2012, 9:04 PM
Yeah, I live on Prudence, just north of 22nd Street. Sometimes I take Golf Links to Aviation when I'm going to school at the U of A. I usually knocks 10 minutes off my trips too.

USELESS??? Is he kidding me??:koko: I live near Pantano and Golflinks and take Aviation at least 4 to 5 times a week. It gets me downtown sometimes in only 15 minutes. It's how everyone on the southeastside gets to downtown and the university. I'm sure the thousands of people who use it each day would hardly call it useless...

aznate27
Apr 21, 2012, 9:07 PM
Sorry Patrick, meant to quote ritarancher...

Patrick S
Apr 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
Sorry Patrick, meant to quote ritarancher...
It's fine. I actually figured you were just using my quote because you were agreeing with me.

kaneui
Apr 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
With the construction of Sun Link (modern streetcar) in full swing, immediate activity is focused on the straight segments not requiring curved rail: along Congress St., 4th Ave., and 2nd St. on the UofA campus. On Congress, the section between Toole and Stone should wrap up by August, with the section between Stone and Granada to follow. (The most recent estimate to begin service is now November, 2013.)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/ScreeningRoom-streetcarfence.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/Hydra-constructionsale.jpg
The scene along Congress: changing the Screening Room marquee; special sale at Hydra boutique.
(photos: A.E. Araiza)

For more streetcar info.: http://www.tucsonstreetcar.com/

Ted Lyons
Apr 24, 2012, 4:53 AM
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/lopez-closes-his-hotel-arizona-in-downtown-tucson/article_28f05656-8da1-11e1-be48-0019bb2963f4.html

Lopez closes his Hotel Arizona in downtown Tucson

The Hotel Arizona announced today that is closing while it explores redevelopment options. A sign on the door says the hotel is already closed.

The downtown hotel, 181 W. Broadway, is owned by Humberto S. Lopez and his HSL Properties.

The hotel is negotiating with the city government “options that will enable it to reopen as a fully renovated, nationally franchised hotel that will service the Convention Center and downtown Tucson,” according to a news release. Lopez has long sought financial assistance from city taxpayers for the hotel.

Other area hotels will absorb reservations and catering events, the news release said.

Affiliated properties will offer some of the hotel’s employees new jobs, it said. Others will be helped to find other employment.

The hotel has threatened to close before.

In December 2010, the hotel’s management said it would close unless it saw city plans for an improvement to the Tucson Convention Center as well as the hotel.

Good riddance. I do welcome a national franchise taking over operation of the property, but I don't envy anyone who chooses to deal with Lopez.

Anqrew
Apr 24, 2012, 5:23 AM
hopefully someone tears it down and redevelops like the Santa Rita Hotel.

ComplotDesigner
Apr 24, 2012, 9:39 PM
Finally...

CITY DOING AESTHETIC, SAFETY UPGRADES AT RONSTADT TRANSIT CENTER

The City of Tucson began a five-month project to provide safety, security and aesthetic upgrades to the Downtown Ronstadt Transit Center (RTC). The work is scheduled to be complete in mid-September. All work will be contained on-site and will be conducted during normal business hours. The transit center will remain fully operational. The scope of work includes:

–Reconstruction of the east median island adjacent to the MLK building with new wall and decorative metal panels, installation of the original shade canopies for passenger seating, a new trash compactor and enclosure, a security gate and a crosswalk between the transit center and the MLK building, new lighting, and security cameras

–Removal of all broken pavers and replacement with new concrete sidewalk within the RTC site.

–Decorative metal see-through fencing within each arcade along Congress Street and Sixth Avenue. Bench seating will be on the outside facing the street.

–New energy-efficient LED light fixtures within the facility and within the arcade.

–New security cameras throughout the facility

–Repainting of the ramadas, restroom doors, signposts.

–New user-friendly signage throughout the facility

–New arched entry and sign for buses at Congress Street entrance.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/04/city-doing-aesthetic-safety-upgrades-at-ronstadt-transit-center/

Anqrew
Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
i wish they'd relocate Ronstadt and build some mixed use development there instead.

Patrick S
Apr 27, 2012, 4:33 AM
i wish they'd relocate Ronstadt and build some mixed use development there instead.

I actually wish they would keep it there, and build some mixed use development there too. I think a good idea would be to build a mid-rise building there with the bottom floor being used for Sun-Tran busses (and the streetcar - kind of a transfer station where you can get off one and onto the other) as well as possibly the new Greyhound station. A couple floors could be used to put the RTA operations, Sun-Tran, Tucson's DOT, Pima County's DOT - make it like the center for transportation in the city. There could be shops and a restaurant(s) - those would go well in a transit station, especially if Greyhound were to use it, and some of the other floors could be used for other offices (private, businesses) and possibly even some residential apartments on some of the higher floors (though that may be a stretch - who really wants to live right above a bus-station?). Just a thought.

Anqrew
Apr 27, 2012, 4:45 AM
I actually wish they would keep it there, and build some mixed use development there too. I think a good idea would be to build a mid-rise building there with the bottom floor being used for Sun-Tran busses (and the streetcar - kind of a transfer station where you can get off one and onto the other) as well as possibly the new Greyhound station. A couple floors could be used to put the RTA operations, Sun-Tran, Tucson's DOT, Pima County's DOT - make it like the center for transportation in the city. There could be shops and a restaurant(s) - those would go well in a transit station, especially if Greyhound were to use it, and some of the other floors could be used for other offices (private, businesses) and possibly even some residential apartments on some of the higher floors (though that may be a stretch - who really wants to live right above a bus-station?). Just a thought.

hey thats actually a pretty good idea, sounds better! just anything, that is such a prime spot for something cool. not just a giant bus stop.

Patrick S
Apr 27, 2012, 4:49 AM
hey thats actually a pretty good idea, sounds better! just anything, that is such a prime spot for something cool. not just a giant bus stop.

Thanks. I see that spot as being in the center of downtown, so it is a prime spot for a transportation hub, but, it could be so much more. I like the idea of building mixed-use development there too (again, because of its central location and the fact that there isn't much space left downtown to build on), and I just think it could be the best of both worlds. I think by having the Greyhound station there too, it could make it a more 'multi-modal' transportation center (or at least make connectivity better).

kaneui
Apr 27, 2012, 6:15 AM

Recent redevelopment options considered for the Ronstadt Transit Center:

1. Leaving the RTC in place, but developing the frontage along Congress with a 2-3 story mixed-use building (although this would require reconfiguring the circulation route since most of the buses enter from Congress St.).

2. Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot. (The Greyhound Bus station was also to be included in this transportation hub, although Peach Properties' Greenline on Congress proposal next to I-10 will incorporate the Greyhound station as part of a multi-modal transportation center for the bus, streetcar, bicycles, and pedestrians.)

3. Keeping the RTC downtown, but moving it to the periphery so as not to occupy parcels zoned for greater density in the downtown core. (The city property at Franklin and Stone slated for the long-dead El Mirador project comes to mind.)

Whatever the long-term plan ends up being, the upcoming improvements will make the RTC more visually appealing and hopefully discourage the homeless from making it a hangout, something the nearby merchants will certainly appreciate.

andrewsaturn
Apr 27, 2012, 7:35 PM
Awesome news! The judge threw out the NIMBY's petition and now a 14 story high rise will be built! :banana:

Judge: Highrise UA student housing plan can proceed

By Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:02 pm

"Plans for a 14-story student apartment complex will move forward, following a new court ruling that defeated a historic neighborhood’s protest.

The city’s ordinance creating special zoning along the streetcar line near the University of Arizona’s Main Gate will stand, Pima County Superior Court Judge Richard Gordon ruled late Thursday.

The historic West University Neighborhood, which is part of the zoning overlay area, had collected thousands of signatures on petitions to fight the city council and take the issue to voters. But Gordon decided the City Clerk’s Office was correct in throwing out the petitions because they were missing certain legal disclaimers.

Among the neighborhood’s complaints are the new rules on building heights. The old rules allowed 4-story buildings. The new rules allow 14-story buildings in certain locations.

The goal is to encourage new, high density projects close to the planned streetcar line that would boost streetcar ridership.

Campus Acquisitions, the Chicago-based developer of the 14-story building, wants to have 586 apartments ready for students in August 2013. The company plans an adjacent 13-story building to open in 2014.

The complex would be southwest of Speedway and Park Avenue, close to existing dorms and parking garages.

Campus Acquisitions’ permits are being reviewed by the city. Final approval is at least a few weeks away.

Plans call for a rooftop pool, outdoor terraces, exercise rooms and study rooms, according to the company’s website."

Read more in tomorrow’s Arizona Daily Star.

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/judge-highrise-ua-student-housing-plan-can-proceed/article_df7eecfe-909c-11e1-a9de-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1tGtbIuln

Ted Lyons
Apr 27, 2012, 7:39 PM
Awesome news! The judge threw out the NIMBY's petition and now a 14 story high rise will be built!

By Becky Pallack Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 12:02 pm

"Plans for a 14-story student apartment complex will move forward, following a new court ruling that defeated a historic neighborhood’s protest.

The city’s ordinance creating special zoning along the streetcar line near the University of Arizona’s Main Gate will stand, Pima County Superior Court Judge Richard Gordon ruled late Thursday.

The historic West University Neighborhood, which is part of the zoning overlay area, had collected thousands of signatures on petitions to fight the city council and take the issue to voters. But Gordon decided the City Clerk’s Office was correct in throwing out the petitions because they were missing certain legal disclaimers.

Among the neighborhood’s complaints are the new rules on building heights. The old rules allowed 4-story buildings. The new rules allow 14-story buildings in certain locations.

The goal is to encourage new, high density projects close to the planned streetcar line that would boost streetcar ridership.

Campus Acquisitions, the Chicago-based developer of the 14-story building, wants to have 586 apartments ready for students in August 2013. The company plans an adjacent 13-story building to open in 2014.

The complex would be southwest of Speedway and Park Avenue, close to existing dorms and parking garages.

Campus Acquisitions’ permits are being reviewed by the city. Final approval is at least a few weeks away.

Plans call for a rooftop pool, outdoor terraces, exercise rooms and study rooms, according to the company’s website."

Read more in tomorrow’s Arizona Daily Star.

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/judge-highrise-ua-student-housing-plan-can-proceed/article_df7eecfe-909c-11e1-a9de-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1tGtbIuln

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/judge-highrise-ua-student-housing-plan-can-proceed/article_df7eecfe-909c-11e1-a9de-001a4bcf887a.html

Great news. :cheers:

andrewsaturn
Apr 27, 2012, 7:56 PM
By Beck Pallack

Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik is holding a community meeting Monday to draw attention to the scope of a $71 million Broadway-widening project.

The project, approved by voters as part of the Regional Transportation Authority plan, would widen Broadway between Euclid and Country Club. Plans call for six lanes, two bus lanes, bike lanes and more.

Construction is planned for 2016, but the planning and design of the project is beginning now, with a 13-member citizen task force.

Kozachik wants the task force to be given authority to scale down the project.

He says the project's scope is based on faulty traffic forecasts from the 1980s, and he says the project would require the demolition of more than 100 homes and businesses.

The task force should be allowed to pick out a project that will meet traffic needs but limit spending to $42 million - the RTA's share of the money, Kozachik said. That will be the topic of Monday's meeting, he said.

"With millions of taxpayer dollars at stake," Kozachik said in an event announcement, the city and the RTA should "engage the people paying the bills and allow for a conversation that is based on the realities of current design, funding and need."

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/kozachik-scale-back-broadway-widening/article_3a01eb8a-9546-5b7c-82da-b151babc98ba.html#ixzz1tGvHeaws

I'm not sure if I agree with this project but if they do move forward with this project, they should think about how the streetcar could be incorporated for Broadway. Because if they don't and the project starts, we can kiss our dreams goodbye of Broadway being a streetcar route, otherwise, it would be wasteful money if they think about it after the construction ends...

kaneui
Apr 27, 2012, 8:34 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with this project but if they do move forward with this project, they should think about how the streetcar could be incorporated for Broadway. Because if they don't and the project starts, we can kiss our dreams goodbye of Broadway being a streetcar route, otherwise, it would be wasteful money if they think about it after the construction ends...

As noted by former Downtown Tucson Partnership director Glenn Lyons, Broadway is a logical choice for an extension of the streetcar, as it is a major arterial and any redevelopment there would funnel additional tax revenues back to Rio Nuevo, as the TIF district extends down Broadway to Park Place mall. (And Rio Nuevo needs all the funds it can get to do a significant remodel/expansion of the TCC.)

Patrick S
Apr 27, 2012, 9:35 PM
Recent redevelopment options considered for the Ronstadt Transit Center:

1. Leaving the RTC in place, but developing the frontage along Congress with a 2-3 story mixed-use building (although this would require reconfiguring the circulation route since most of the buses enter from Congress St.).

2. Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot. (The Greyhound Bus station was also to be included in this transportation hub, although Peach Properties' Greenline on Congress proposal next to I-10 will incorporate the Greyhound station as part of a multi-modal transportation center for the bus, streetcar, bicycles, and pedestrians.)

3. Keeping the RTC downtown, but moving it to the periphery so as not to occupy parcels zoned for greater density in the downtown core. (The city property at Franklin and Stone slated for the long-dead El Mirador project comes to mind.)

Whatever the long-term plan ends up being, the upcoming improvements will make the RTC more visually appealing and hopefully discourage the homeless from making it a hangout, something the nearby merchants will certainly appreciate.
I actually thought of #2 (Moving the RTC next to a proposed city intermodal transportation building on the empty lot north of the Historic Train Depot) as an alternative to what I gave as my proposal - with one difference. Instead of having it next to the intermodal transportation building, actually having it in the building, but this would work just as good, if not better.

Patrick S
Apr 27, 2012, 9:43 PM
By Beck Pallack

Tucson City Councilman Steve Kozachik is holding a community meeting Monday to draw attention to the scope of a $71 million Broadway-widening project.

The project, approved by voters as part of the Regional Transportation Authority plan, would widen Broadway between Euclid and Country Club. Plans call for six lanes, two bus lanes, bike lanes and more.

Construction is planned for 2016, but the planning and design of the project is beginning now, with a 13-member citizen task force.

Kozachik wants the task force to be given authority to scale down the project.

He says the project's scope is based on faulty traffic forecasts from the 1980s, and he says the project would require the demolition of more than 100 homes and businesses.

The task force should be allowed to pick out a project that will meet traffic needs but limit spending to $42 million - the RTA's share of the money, Kozachik said. That will be the topic of Monday's meeting, he said.

"With millions of taxpayer dollars at stake," Kozachik said in an event announcement, the city and the RTA should "engage the people paying the bills and allow for a conversation that is based on the realities of current design, funding and need."

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/kozachik-scale-back-broadway-widening/article_3a01eb8a-9546-5b7c-82da-b151babc98ba.html#ixzz1tGvHeaws

I agree that the streetcar should be taken into account. They way I understand the project, the bus lanes will be like the ones out farther east (think Broadway out by Swan, Craycroft, Park Place Mall). But, if I remember correctly, there is a hope to have them used for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), with the possibility of eventually having the street used for the streetcar.

Anqrew
Apr 27, 2012, 9:49 PM
Awesome news! The judge threw out the NIMBY's petition and now a 14 story high rise will be built! :banana:

So glad the Nimbys didnt win this time!:tup:

Patrick S
Apr 27, 2012, 9:53 PM
I agree that the streetcar should be taken into account. They way I understand the project, the bus lanes will be like the ones out farther east (think Broadway out by Swan, Craycroft, Park Place Mall). But, if I remember correctly, there is a hope to have them used for Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), with the possibility of eventually having the street used for the streetcar.

Click to this link: The 2040 RTP Plan (http://www.pagnet.org/documents/RTP/RTP2040/RTP-2040-Adopted.pdf). Pages 36-37 talk about Broadway being used for BRT & the streetcar. This is from the Pima Association of Governments (PAG), and is not related to the RTA, directly at least. It is more of a 'wish list', not things that will for sure come to be built.

Ted Lyons
Apr 28, 2012, 4:16 PM
The Daily Star has a longer article about 1020 Tyndall today:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/ua-area-high-rise-clears-legal-hurdle/article_0546037c-7848-5225-a1fc-8e381a1da1be.html

Here's the important part:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/4a/a4a34356-f1f0-5e15-8bc9-d03d02e2171c/4f9b8aaa0b3ee.image.jpg

You can see the placement on the property by comparing against Wildcat Laundry Company, which is the blue building in the back left.

Thirsty
Apr 28, 2012, 11:48 PM
Got this off of Campus Acquisitions website (http://www.campusacquisitions.com/ca/boards/index.html)

http://www.campusacquisitions.com/ca/images/thumb-boards-university-arizona-01.jpg

Same company that runs "The Vue" in Tempe, and probably the only student housing in the area that has successfully filled its first floor commercial spaces.

Hopefully a good sign.

ComplotDesigner
May 1, 2012, 1:33 AM
Between RTC & MLK Apartments.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg225/scaled.php?server=225&filename=img0812m.jpg&res=landing

Corner of 6th Ave. and Congress St.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg3/scaled.php?server=3&filename=img0813s.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg36/scaled.php?server=36&filename=img0814nz.jpg&res=landing

RTC 6th Ave. & Pennington St.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg338/scaled.php?server=338&filename=img0833wz.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg15/scaled.php?server=15&filename=img0834uv.jpg&res=landing

***Glad to read about the judge's resolution!

Patrick S
May 2, 2012, 5:50 AM
I was going to class on campus (at the U of A) today, and if I'm not mistaken I saw a big pile of street-car rails lying on 2nd Street right outside of Hillenbrand Stadium.

southtucsonboy77
May 2, 2012, 4:22 PM
Hello Tucson! I've been a fan of this thread for over a year...I finally got my lazy behind to log-in and join in the discussions.

Anyhow, I drove by the District the other day, and despite some criticism by the media and by some folks in the ADS on the aesthetics of the building (and this was when the structure was being framed), I actually love it. It turned out great and its a good change. The building is to the curb and it looks URBAN. I support more of these projects.

andrewsaturn
May 3, 2012, 12:43 AM
Hello Tucson! I've been a fan of this thread for over a year...I finally got my lazy behind to log-in and join in the discussions.

Anyhow, I drove by the District the other day, and despite some criticism by the media and by some folks in the ADS on the aesthetics of the building (and this was when the structure was being framed), I actually love it. It turned out great and its a good change. The building is to the curb and it looks URBAN. I support more of these projects.

Hey! Welcome to the discussion! :apple:I too was a fan of the threads for several months before I thought I would just become a member. I suspect there are many people who just read regularly and are shy to join but that's okay, I was/am shy too. ;)

Anqrew
May 3, 2012, 4:59 AM
Hey! Welcome to the discussion! :apple:I too was a fan of the threads for several months before I thought I would just become a member. I suspect there are many people who just read regularly and are shy to join but that's okay, I was/am shy too. ;)

i was on the same boat, read the thread for years before joining in, i drive by the district almost everyday, i love watching its progress, i love how it looks as well and its proximity to the curb.

Ted Lyons
May 4, 2012, 7:29 PM
I'd say it's a small chance this roughly $2 billion project ever gets completed with this state's current government, but the discussion is interesting nonetheless.

ADOT studies 6 rail routes for Tucson-to-Phoenix line

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/azstarnet.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/91/89104942-95a8-11e1-b83d-0019bb2963f4/4fa366c782c86.image.jpg

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/adot-studies-rail-routes-for-tucson-to-phoenix-line/article_fd1bab2a-5b68-5c9b-a9f3-ef82ef76184b.html#ixzz1tvo5hlQa

Six conceptual routes for a rail line connecting Tucson and Phoenix are under consideration by the Arizona Department of Transportation.

ADOT's $6.3 million Passenger Rail Corridor Study has been under way for a year. It will include a feasibility study and an environmental impact study, and it will be available to the public and policymakers next year.

As part of the study, nearly 3,000 people, including Tucsonans, participated in a survey last fall about their interest in intercity rail.

The study currently includes six corridor concepts that link downtown Tucson and downtown Phoenix and 38 potential station locations.

When looking at where to put a new rail line, ADOT favors placing tracks next to existing tracks and roads, said Chris Lopez, ADOT rail planner.

He presented an early preview of the six options on Wednesday at a Regional Transportation Authority committee meeting. They will be presented to the public later this year.

Tucson station options include the University of Arizona, the Tucson Convention Center and the historic depot in downtown.

All six routes would go north from downtown Tucson next to Interstate 10 corridor or the Union Pacific freight rail tracks. Some routes include a proposed connection to Oro Valley and a potential extension to the Tucson International Airport.

From the Picacho area, the routes begin to differ in how they get to the Phoenix metro area.

One idea is to continue along I-10 to Chandler.

Three of the ideas would put tracks next to Arizona 87, to link to Coolidge and Queen Creek, or to link to Casa Grande and Chandler, or to link to Florence and the planned Superstition Vistas corridor.

Another idea is to put tracks next to Arizona 238, the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway.

The study will allow the state to apply for federal funds to turn the concepts into possible projects in the future. The State Rail Plan says building an intercity rail between Tucson and Phoenix would cost an estimated $15 million per mile, not including the cost of operations and maintenance.

On the web

Passenger Rail Corridor Study website: azdot.gov/passengerrail

As always, I'd probably avoid the comments.

combusean
May 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
I'll cross post the above to Metro Phoenix Transit and Transportation developments.

Patrick S
May 6, 2012, 4:06 AM
God, I'd love to have high-speed rail, not just from here in Tucson to Phoenix, but an actual system throughout the United States. I'm hoping California breaks ground on theirs later this year or next. I think it's just going to take one line - somebody actually going ahead and doing it - and then everyone will hopefully jump on the bandwagon. Of course, though, the line needs to be successful, which I think it will. The Bosh-Wash corridor (the Northeast - Boston to Washington D.C., but including NYC, Philly and Baltimore, but possibly Hartford and Providence), the midwest (Chicago to surrounding cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Louisville, Columbus), Florida (Miami, Orlando, Tampa/St. Pete), California (San Diego, LA, San Fran/San Jose/Oakland, Sacramento with places like Fresno, Bakersfield in between) and the Texas Triangle (Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington, Houston, San Antonio with Austin in the middle) are where I would start (though the Pacific Northwest - Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, BC might be a good place too - as well as possibly the southeast, from Raleigh/Durham and/or Charlotte, NC down to Atlanta). I applaud the Obama administration for starting to get serious about this, but they could still do more. I honestly don't know why we aren't getting serious about this type of thing. Report after report shows the projected economic boom from these lines. With interest rates at all time lows, now is the time to fund these projects, plus it will help employment now (God knows the construction sector could use the help), and will lay the foundation for sustained economic expansion in the future. The best economy the world has ever known was the USA in the 1950s, and was partly because of the Eisenhower Administrations building of the Interstate system. This could be a modern equivalent to that. We would be able to move passenger trains off of freight rail lines, meaning we could increase the amount of freight being moved on these lines. Plus, for trips under 500 miles, the time and price of taking HSR is very similar to flying - and HSR is a much cleaner and greener form of transportation, using much less carbon fossil-fuels than alternative forms of transportation.

kaneui
May 7, 2012, 8:06 PM
A $2.5M expansion/renovation will add upgrades and a third theater to the venerable Loft Cinema on Speedway:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/LoftCinemarender.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/LoftCinema.jpg
The Loft Cinema plans to buy the land and building of its next-door neighbor, J&L Automotive, converting the building into a theater.
(render: Loft Cinemas; photo: Kelly Presnell )

Big expansion plans at the Loft
by Phil Villarreal
Arizona Daily Star
May 6, 2012

Since its conversion to a nonprofit theater in 2002, the Loft Cinema has prided itself on making the most of minimal resources. Now it's thinking bigger, asking for big money and making big plans. The vision: A three-theater cineplex, as well as a back patio with a projection screen for movies under the stars. Movies will run longer to better find an audience, bathrooms and the upstairs theater will be wheelchair-accessible, and the complex will be able to host multiple events simultaneously.

It's a dream that's a long time in coming for the theater's management. "It is a huge move forward," said the East Speedway theater's Executive Director Peggy Johnson. "We're really feeling like we're ready for it. We do so much with two screens, and it's so exciting to have another screen, a bigger lobby and accessible restrooms. We've been really cramped for space, and we're really excited." The Loft plans to raise $2.5 million to fund its goals. To start, the theater will buy the land and building of its next-door neighbor, J&L Automotive, 3251 E. Speedway, converting the building into a theater.

Johnson said the goal is to have the third screen ready to go by November. After that, the next goals will be to renovate the main building - including adding an elevator - and connecting the two buildings, allowing for a larger lobby, box office and concession stand. The connection will also let the Loft move its offices into the theater rather than rent space across the street. The Loft has already raised about $800,000 toward the goal, with much of that funding coming from Cox Communications. "Cox supports the Loft, because it is part of a vibrant arts community and a vibrant arts community is a key part to the economic health of our community," said Cox Communications Vice President Lisa Lovallo in an emailed statement. "The statistics and studies bear it out: Art and cultural institutions create jobs and bring money and resources into the region. And certainly, the Loft is a key part of this vibrancy that continues to make our community a better place to live and work."

Johnson said the shape and design of the auto repair shop lends itself surprisingly well to a changeover into a theater. The new screen will boast stadium seating, allowing for unobstructed sight lines in each row. Construction will repurpose shipping crates as building blocks, and the patio between the Loft and Speedway will become a park of sorts, with trees and flowers. Not that the Loft faithful won't recognize their new cinematic paradise. "The look and feel will be the same, basically," Johnson said. "We're not changing it. ... It's still gonna be funky and have the Loft feel."

Campaign breakdown
How the Loft will spend the $2.5 million it raises

$870,000 - Cost to acquire land and building for J&L Automotive, 3251 E. Speedway, which the Loft will convert into a third theater.

$950,000 - New construction to build the theater and connect the Loft to the third theater.

$350,000 - Renovation, including adding an elevator to the main building.

$330,000 - Adding digital technology to the theaters.

http://www.loftcinema.com/thefuture

acatalanb
May 8, 2012, 7:53 PM
:hmmm: It's almost summer...ah yes, it's that time of the year. You know what I'm talking about. What could that be :???:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/7159103608_86fe2ebaa8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159103608/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7159102828_2383022e03.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159102828/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5326/7158756454_a044965b12.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158756454/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5039/7158764914_61b28880a3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158764914/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/7158754982_ffa945e7e9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158754982/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7158756834_3ff0608f66.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158756834/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7159101122_a37c62403c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159101122/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7159104374_3f36dace2c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159104374/)

This museum goes well with the modern street car, Obama's high speed rail project, future mid/high rise buildings and my request for a free standing tower and the convento/sports/entertainment complex (under one solar roof with a giant 3D IMAX , of course...gotta see that nice pair of T&A in that giant screen ... in 3D). Imagine a rock concert with this bridge/tower at the background.

Help yourself with the photos and spread the word. Linked it. Share it. Spread the love. Make love with it tonight.

Tucson needs this. Why? Because Tucson is BUTT UGLY!!! :haha:

ps: the mayor likes my idea of modular structures. so there might be events in several mini temporary arenas. hope it makes enough to build that bridge, tower and THE COMPLEX . i think it will. womens beach volleyball. womens gymnastics. and yes, cirque du soleil.

btw, whoever posted this facebook site (http://www.facebook.com/rainbowbridgetucson). Thanks. Hint: it's better than internet porn.

Everyone! Marked my words of wisdom!

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT. YOU CAN BUILD IT!! :superwhip AWAY NIMBY!! AWAY!!!!

Anqrew
May 8, 2012, 9:34 PM
https://www.facebook.com/MindOurOwnBusinesses
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/543631_389906807721147_257797937598702_1164479_1741160162_n.jpg

'Tucson's newest piece of public art, the Bevel Butterfly, was installed yesterday (May 5) at the corner of 6th Avenue and Toole Avenue. Check it out this evening as you enjoy"

and in response to the Rainbow Bridge post, i'd rather use the money it would take to build it, to fill the Santa Cruz with water like Tempe Town Lake. then maybe we could build a low-scale rainbow bridge over the River, it's lights would illuminate and reflect off the water. maybe just make it pedestrian only, maybe something like the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge in Omaha. (below) Which only cost 22M vs 300M for the Rainbow Bridge.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Bob_Kerrey_Pedestrian_Bridge.jpg/800px-Bob_Kerrey_Pedestrian_Bridge.jpg

Ted Lyons
May 10, 2012, 6:35 PM
http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/05/west-congress-is-primed-for-an-urban-apartment-scene/

WEST CONGRESS IS PRIMED FOR AN URBAN APARTMENT SCENE

By Teya Vitu

Look now and you see the Mercado San Agustín, 30 luxury homes with varying Mexican colonial styles and the six-story senior housing complex now being called Sentinel Plaza in the finishing stages of construction.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/West-End-Station5-300x151.jpg

Piece by piece, since 2005, the Gadsden Company, at a very measured pace, has given the south edge of West Congress Street just the tiniest sense of what Jerry Dixon and his family have been envisioning for a decade for what they call the Mercado District of Menlo Park and the neighboring Mission District.

These are both roughly 14-acre lots, split by Avenida del Convento, for which Gadsden won the development agreements from the city in 2003 and 2008.

So far, it may be hard to tell the grandiose urban scene they have in mind for the near West Side.

The next 18 months could finally bring West Congress Street the first real taste of the big city urban setting that’s been talked about for a good five years for this near 30 acres of parched desert.

In about a year, Gadsden wants to start building pair of apartment complexes about the height of Sentinel Plaza (formerly called New Armory Apartments). They will be unlike anything in Tucson and more like something you might find in Europe or on the East Coast.

The Monier Apartments and West End Station both will be built around two courtyards, that is, complex in the shape of a figure eight with squared corners.

“We’re trying to make a big city feeling the appropriate way for Tucson,” said Jerry Dixon, Gadsden’s chairman. “We have all fresh air corridors. I never thought you want to be in an enclosed corridor in Arizona. We are preserving the views of the mountains and A Mountain.”

Unlike Mercado District homes, destined for those with six-figure salaries, West End Station and the Monier Apartments will be largely priced for the working class, those within 125 percent of the region’s median income range.

West End Station specs call for a 239-unit apartment complex with 30,000 square feet of street level retail that could include a restaurant, a bank or credit union, and a few other small businesses. One courtyard will be more public in nature, the other courtyard more for residents, with a swimming pool.

West End Station’s height along West Congress Street will be four stories – like Sentinel Plaza a few hundred feet to the east – but will also have five- and six-story sections more away from the street. The complex will sit at the corner of Avenida del Convento, across from Mercado San Agustin, another Gadsden project.

“It’s in proportion with the senior housing (Sentinel Plaza),” said Adam Weinstein, Gadsden’s chief executive. “It’s a larger city mixed-use building.”

Rents in West End Station are expected to range from $502 for a studio and $900 for two bedrooms. The first set of tenants will get a free one-year streetcar pass, Dixon said.

“We are building an urban core that is walkable and enjoyable,” Dixon said. “We have all of the things that you would want to live here and stay there. Every 10 minutes there’s a 90-passenger streetcar right there.”

The streetcar will loop through the Mission District, around three sides of West End Station. The streetcar will reach the Gadsden project via the new Luis G. Gutierrez Bridge that is nearing completion and will carry Cushing Street across the Santa Cruz River.

Concurrent with West End, Gadsden will also start building the Monier Apartments behind the Mercado San Agustín in about a year. Dixon and Weinstein hope to have them both online within six months of each other at the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014 at latest. Consistent with all the other Gadsden projects, these will be masonry buildings, not wood frame structures.

The Monier Apartments have been in the works since 2005 and Gadsden Company has renewed and updated its building permits for Monier since 2007. Back then, it was knows as Monier Brickyard Building with offices and commercial projected for the lower levels.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/master-plan-300x255.jpg

“Ultimately, it turned out the highest and best use is the apartments,” Weinstein said. “The ground floor will be built with commercial infrastructure so it can be converted to commercial.”

Monier will be built with 169 units with rents ranging from $695 for pied-à-terre studios to $1,025 for two-bedroom apartments, Weinstein said.

Gadsden is forming a joint venture for Monier with Holualoa Companies, which owns the Pioneer building Downtown.

“It brings a whole lot of bodies,” said Weinstein, adding that neither Monier nor West End are designed for families, in keeping with the growing trend of single households nearly matching married households across America. “The home owners (at Mercado District) have been waiting for the next density housing to come.”

The West End, Monier and Sentinel projects are a sneak peak for the housing density in store for the Mission District. Three eight- to 10-story housing towers are planned for the back acreage alongside the Santa Cruz River. Timelines for building these towers will be determined once the streetcar is in service, Dixon said.

The 14.3-acre Mission District is in seven blocks designated with the letters A through G. Block G was sold to Senior Housing Group for the 143-unit Sentinel Plaza, which should be ready for the residents of the Armory Park Apartments in fall. West End Station fills Block A, while Monier Apartments are across Avenida del Convento and are part of the Mercado District.

A parking garage is slated for Block B, directly behind West End Station, and Dixon wants to build a boutique hotel on Block C – on the other side of the garage.

The hotel is not immediately penciling out so Dixon and Weinstein have short-term ideas for Block C for the next five years for a possible beer garden or steakhouse.

The Mercado and Mission projects fell victim to the economic collapse and financing freeze, which added years to their projections for each phase of these projects. West End and Monier finally launches Gadsden’s larger scale vision for the Menlo Park Neighborhood.

“It’s just the start,” Dixon said.

See the link for much larger images.

Ted Lyons
May 10, 2012, 6:47 PM
and in response to the Rainbow Bridge post, i'd rather use the money it would take to build it, to fill the Santa Cruz with water like Tempe Town Lake. then maybe we could build a low-scale rainbow bridge over the River, it's lights would illuminate and reflect off the water. maybe just make it pedestrian only, maybe something like the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge in Omaha. (below) Which only cost 22M vs 300M for the Rainbow Bridge.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Bob_Kerrey_Pedestrian_Bridge.jpg/800px-Bob_Kerrey_Pedestrian_Bridge.jpg

Tempe Town Lake loses up to 1.7 million gallons of water per day in the summer through evaporation. Talk about an environmental nightmare. Do not want.

ComplotDesigner
May 11, 2012, 2:29 AM
Walmart (Tucson Marketplace at The Bridges)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6929/walmartp.jpg

Ritarancher
May 11, 2012, 3:02 AM
A $2.5M expansion/renovation will add upgrades and a third theater to the venerable Loft Cinema on Speedway:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/LoftCinemarender.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/LoftCinema.jpg
The Loft Cinema plans to buy the land and building of its next-door neighbor, J&L Automotive, converting the building into a theater.
(render: Loft Cinemas; photo: Kelly Presnell )

Big expansion plans at the Loft
by Phil Villarreal
Arizona Daily Star
May 6, 2012

Since its conversion to a nonprofit theater in 2002, the Loft Cinema has prided itself on making the most of minimal resources. Now it's thinking bigger, asking for big money and making big plans. The vision: A three-theater cineplex, as well as a back patio with a projection screen for movies under the stars. Movies will run longer to better find an audience, bathrooms and the upstairs theater will be wheelchair-accessible, and the complex will be able to host multiple events simultaneously.

It's a dream that's a long time in coming for the theater's management. "It is a huge move forward," said the East Speedway theater's Executive Director Peggy Johnson. "We're really feeling like we're ready for it. We do so much with two screens, and it's so exciting to have another screen, a bigger lobby and accessible restrooms. We've been really cramped for space, and we're really excited." The Loft plans to raise $2.5 million to fund its goals. To start, the theater will buy the land and building of its next-door neighbor, J&L Automotive, 3251 E. Speedway, converting the building into a theater.

Johnson said the goal is to have the third screen ready to go by November. After that, the next goals will be to renovate the main building - including adding an elevator - and connecting the two buildings, allowing for a larger lobby, box office and concession stand. The connection will also let the Loft move its offices into the theater rather than rent space across the street. The Loft has already raised about $800,000 toward the goal, with much of that funding coming from Cox Communications. "Cox supports the Loft, because it is part of a vibrant arts community and a vibrant arts community is a key part to the economic health of our community," said Cox Communications Vice President Lisa Lovallo in an emailed statement. "The statistics and studies bear it out: Art and cultural institutions create jobs and bring money and resources into the region. And certainly, the Loft is a key part of this vibrancy that continues to make our community a better place to live and work."

Johnson said the shape and design of the auto repair shop lends itself surprisingly well to a changeover into a theater. The new screen will boast stadium seating, allowing for unobstructed sight lines in each row. Construction will repurpose shipping crates as building blocks, and the patio between the Loft and Speedway will become a park of sorts, with trees and flowers. Not that the Loft faithful won't recognize their new cinematic paradise. "The look and feel will be the same, basically," Johnson said. "We're not changing it. ... It's still gonna be funky and have the Loft feel."

Campaign breakdown
How the Loft will spend the $2.5 million it raises

$870,000 - Cost to acquire land and building for J&L Automotive, 3251 E. Speedway, which the Loft will convert into a third theater.

$950,000 - New construction to build the theater and connect the Loft to the third theater.

$350,000 - Renovation, including adding an elevator to the main building.

$330,000 - Adding digital technology to the theaters.

http://www.loftcinema.com/thefuture

Good for them, to compete with Century and Harkins. Its getting easier to go local now

Ritarancher
May 11, 2012, 3:05 AM
:hmmm: It's almost summer...ah yes, it's that time of the year. You know what I'm talking about. What could that be :???:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/7159103608_86fe2ebaa8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159103608/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7159102828_2383022e03.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159102828/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5326/7158756454_a044965b12.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158756454/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5039/7158764914_61b28880a3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158764914/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8003/7158754982_ffa945e7e9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158754982/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7243/7158756834_3ff0608f66.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7158756834/)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7214/7159101122_a37c62403c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159101122/)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7159104374_3f36dace2c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/59430705@N05/7159104374/)

This museum goes well with the modern street car, Obama's high speed rail project, future mid/high rise buildings and my request for a free standing tower and the convento/sports/entertainment complex (under one solar roof with a giant 3D IMAX , of course...gotta see that nice pair of T&A in that giant screen ... in 3D). Imagine a rock concert with this bridge/tower at the background.

Help yourself with the photos and spread the word. Linked it. Share it. Spread the love. Make love with it tonight.

Tucson needs this. Why? Because Tucson is BUTT UGLY!!! :haha:

ps: the mayor likes my idea of modular structures. so there might be events in several mini temporary arenas. hope it makes enough to build that bridge, tower and THE COMPLEX . i think it will. womens beach volleyball. womens gymnastics. and yes, cirque du soleil.

btw, whoever posted this facebook site (http://www.facebook.com/rainbowbridgetucson). Thanks. Hint: it's better than internet porn.

Everyone! Marked my words of wisdom!

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT. YOU CAN BUILD IT!! :superwhip AWAY NIMBY!! AWAY!!!!

I hope this bridge gets built, and that's my facebook page. Please tell people about it. I hope i can manage to pull in lots of fans

Ritarancher
May 11, 2012, 3:08 AM
A Santa Cruz lake would be cool but it is strictly a wash. Major flooding would occur in the monsoon if we made it a lake. Rainbow bridge is more practical. But where would we put it?

Ted Lyons
May 11, 2012, 3:10 AM
Walmart (Tucson Marketplace at The Bridges)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6929/walmartp.jpg

This is from Park? They're making good progress. Does anyone know what the timeline is for the Walmart at El Con? Also, does anyone know what's going into the store next to Ross at El Con?

ComplotDesigner
May 11, 2012, 4:49 AM
^^
Yes, the view is from Park Ave. I also noticed the construction next to Ross at El Con, don't know what is tho.

Anqrew
May 11, 2012, 4:58 AM
oh wow i didnt even know they had started the WalMart at the Bridges.

kaneui
May 12, 2012, 8:08 AM
This is from Park? They're making good progress. Does anyone know what the timeline is for the Walmart at El Con? Also, does anyone know what's going into the store next to Ross at El Con?

Walmart may have underestimated the resolve of the well-heeled El Encanto neighbors--apparently, their lawsuit will be heard in Superior Court on May 21, and they have set up a website to drum up support against construction of the El Con store:

http://www.stopelconwlmrt.com/

Ted Lyons
May 12, 2012, 4:40 PM
Walmart may have underestimated the resolve of the well-heeled El Encanto neighbors--apparently, their lawsuit will be heard in Superior Court on May 21, and they have set up a website to drum up support against construction of the El Con store:

http://www.stopelconwlmrt.com/

Honestly, I don't care if Walmart builds at El Con or not as I've always thought it was a bit overboard considering Target's presence, However, the El Encanto residents have been pests for the mall for decades. They fought for what seemed like years over various issues when the mall first started redeveloping. I have no doubt that they'd have preferred the mall stay virtually vacant even though that probably negatively effected their property values more than heavy traffic.

Anqrew
May 12, 2012, 7:18 PM
Honestly, I don't care if Walmart builds at El Con or not as I've always thought it was a bit overboard considering Target's presence, However, the El Encanto residents have been pests for the mall for decades. They fought for what seemed like years over various issues when the mall first started redeveloping. I have no doubt that they'd have preferred the mall stay virtually vacant even though that probably negatively effected their property values more than heavy traffic.

while usually i hate nimbys, i would prefer not having a walmart at elcon. probably because im biased against walmart and its....clientele. El con has enough discount retailers in one spot.

Ted Lyons
May 13, 2012, 6:08 AM
while usually i hate nimbys, i would prefer not having a walmart at elcon. probably because im biased against walmart and its....clientele. El con has enough discount retailers in one spot.

This all goes to picking your battles. NIMBYs wouldn't be called NIMBYs if they weren't overvigilant about issues that don't affect them on a noticeable level.

Fighting the presence of a store that's open 24 hours a day and draws in potentially transient clientele at night isn't so deplorable. Actively preventing the mall from making itself economically feasible altogether is pretty shameful.

Ritarancher
May 14, 2012, 11:37 PM
This all goes to picking your battles. NIMBYs wouldn't be called NIMBYs if they weren't overvigilant about issues that don't affect them on a noticeable level.

Fighting the presence of a store that's open 24 hours a day and draws in potentially transient clientele at night isn't so deplorable. Actively preventing the mall from making itself economically feasible altogether is pretty shameful.

I really hate walmart, we give them billions of dollars and all they give us is minimum wage jobs without health insurance. Not much to thank. At least Target pays more and has some more benefits. Screw walmart, they have billions of dollars and wont pay employees more than they have to. I am with protestors on this one.

nickw252
May 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
I really hate walmart, we give them billions of dollars and all they give us is minimum wage jobs without health insurance. Not much to thank. At least Target pays more and has some more benefits. Screw walmart, they have billions of dollars and wont pay employees more than they have to. I am with protestors on this one.

+ 1

It's been shown that walmarts actually cost communities/governments more than they bring in in tax revenue due to its employees having to get on public assistance.

kaneui
May 15, 2012, 4:13 AM
http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/05/west-congress-is-primed-for-an-urban-apartment-scene/

These announcements of new market-rate housing are a good sign of a more vibrant, 24/7 downtown on the horizon. Between the 1,070 students that will fill the upcoming projects in east downtown (Plaza Centro - 750, The Armory - 320), and the other 867 market-rate units in the works (West End Station - 239, Monier Apartments - 169, The Greenline - 320, One East Broadway - 39, and Depot Plaza - possibly 100+), there will be lots of new residents to support the street-level retailers in these and other buildings.

Once these residential buildings come online, I think we'll also finally see larger markets and grocery stores downtown--one on the east end and another in the new Mission District west of I-10.

aznate27
May 15, 2012, 4:30 AM

What??? Have you been to a WalFart after midnight??? Having a 24 hour store that brings in nothing but ghetto ass people with kids that should be in bed after 10pm into the El Con area, will only destroy property values in the well off neighborhoods surrounding the mall and raise crime. There's a reason why the webpage "Peopleofwalmart.com" was created! Maybe you should take a look, you'll understand why a nice neighborhood wouldn't want a 24 hour crap hole near them! The very fact that WalMart is trying to strong hold their way into an area that CLEARLY doesn't want them there (even the city has expressed concerns about them setting up shop there, WalMart threatened to go to court!) just shows how much they don't give a shit about what the concerns of a neighborhood they impact have. And FYI, BAD MANAGEMENT is the only reason it's taken El Con so long to recover! There was no reason that a major mall, located in the middle of a high income area, should have gone under. It was poor decision making by it's owners that almost did El Con in.

Why the hell anyone would support a business where their employees had to go to court just to get basic healthcare from THE LARGEST RETAILER ON EARTH as well as the richest family in America, is quite simply beyond me.

And yes, I called it WalFart.

Ted Lyons
May 15, 2012, 2:33 PM
What??? Have you been to a WalFart after midnight??? Having a 24 hour store that brings in nothing but ghetto ass people with kids that should be in bed after 10pm into the El Con area, will only destroy property values in the well off neighborhoods surrounding the mall and raise crime. There's a reason why the webpage "Peopleofwalmart.com" was created! Maybe you should take a look, you'll understand why a nice neighborhood wouldn't want a 24 hour crap hole near them! The very fact that WalMart is trying to strong hold their way into an area that CLEARLY doesn't want them there (even the city has expressed concerns about them setting up shop there, WalMart threatened to go to court!) just shows how much they don't give a shit about what the concerns of a neighborhood they impact have. And FYI, BAD MANAGEMENT is the only reason it's taken El Con so long to recover! There was no reason that a major mall, located in the middle of a high income area, should have gone under. It was poor decision making by it's owners that almost did El Con in.

Why the hell anyone would support a business where their employees had to go to court just to get basic healthcare from THE LARGEST RETAILER ON EARTH as well as the richest family in America, is quite simply beyond me.

And yes, I called it WalFart.

I don't think you understood my post.

nickw252
May 15, 2012, 5:01 PM

I think he took the exact opposite of what you said, and you two essentially agree on the issue. Reading comprehension ftl.

andrewsaturn
May 15, 2012, 5:22 PM
Hobby Lobby, Stein Mart, 2 others moving into prime Mervyn's site
By Roger Yohem

"Four retailers, anchored by a 50,000 square foot Hobby Lobby, will move onto the massive 7.4-acre Mervyn’s department store site at 5545 E. Broadway Blvd. that has been vacant since late 2008.

The other retailers include a 34,000 square-foot Stein Mart; a 3,200 square-foot Vitamin Shoppe; and a 3,250 square-foot Mattress Firm. The new leases were announced today (May 15) by property owner Benenson Capital Partners LLC, based in New York City, one of the nation’s oldest privately held real estate investment and development companies.

Popular arts and crafts merchant Hobby Lobby inked a 50,000-square-foot lease, making the national retailer the largest tenant at the center. The tenant is expected to take occupancy of the majority of the retail space formerly housing Mervyns in the last quarter of 2012, marking its first store in the Tucson market.

Hobby Lobby was represented by David Leathers of Northbrook, IL-based D.E. Johnson & Associates, Inc. in the lease negotiations.

Stein Mart, a high-end, off-price national retailer, will lease the remaining 34,000 square-foot balance of the former Mervyns space. The new storefront will serve as Stein Mart’s second Tucson location. Construction will commence immediately and the retailer is expected to take occupancy before the 2012 holiday season.

Jacksonville, Florida-based Stein Mart was represented by David Darr of The Place in San Antonio, TX.

The Vitamin Shoppe will occupy space at a multi-tenant pad located in front of the future Stein Mart store, along east Broadway Blvd. The Vitamin Shoppe is expected to move once construction is completed. The tenant was represented by Tom Woods of Colliers International in Phoenix; and Jerry Willis of Bialow Real Estate in Atlanta.

One of the largest specialty bedding companies in the world, Mattress Firm will locate next to the Vitamin Shoppe. The tenant is expected to open in early 2013. Darren Pitts of Velocity Retail Group in Phoenix represented Mattress Firm in the lease negotiations.

The site, located on a high-traffic volume intersection on the northeast corner of north Craycroft Road and east Broadway drew attention from interested retailers and developers almost from the time it closed. Strategically located between Park Place and El Con Malls, over 90,000 cars pass the parcel each day.

Mervyns LLC, based in San Francisco, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July 2008 but was unable to structure a financial recovery plan. The retailer had 175 stores in seven states.

By year-end, all locations had been closed.

Nancy McClure of CBRE’s Tucson office represented the landlord, East Broadway Tucson Co. LLC (Benenson Capital Partners), in negotiating all of the long-term lease agreements."

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/hobby-lobby-stein-mart-others-moving-into-prime-mervyn-s/article_83d65402-9eaa-11e1-ab03-0019bb2963f4.html

aznate27
May 15, 2012, 5:38 PM

Um, yep, you're right. I completely misread that first sentence of the second half, Thought you were defending WalFart, but infact you were seeing the side of the neighborhood. OOPS, sorry about that! :stunned:

andrewsaturn
May 15, 2012, 5:41 PM
Finally some news about that prime land being developed. I never heard of these stores so here are their websites and pics if some of you haven't either. We can get an idea of how the plaza might look with their logos and whatnot. These stores are already in Phoenix, so if you're from PHX or shopped at these stores there, maybe let us know if you like them.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/

First one in Tucson

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5ZReqavBcmY/Tf-JuSpM4FI/AAAAAAAABm4/tn9IunUIvBk/s400/hobby-lobby2.jpg

http://www.steinmart.com/
http://themurfreesborobuzz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/10/steinmart2.jpg
There's one on Stone Ave.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/vitamins_minerals/index.jsp?tab_selection=

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/images/en/management/VS_Store.jpg

The first one in Tucson.

http://blog.velocityretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/matt_firm.jpg

Mattress Firm, multiple locations in Tucson.

aznate27
May 15, 2012, 6:35 PM
Hobby Lobby, Stein Mart, 2 others moving into prime Mervyn's site
By Roger Yohem

"Four retailers, anchored by a 50,000 square foot Hobby Lobby, will move onto the massive 7.4-acre Mervyn’s department store site at 5545 E. Broadway Blvd. that has been vacant since late 2008.

The other retailers include a 34,000 square-foot Stein Mart; a 3,200 square-foot Vitamin Shoppe; and a 3,250 square-foot Mattress Firm. The new leases were announced today (May 15) by property owner Benenson Capital Partners LLC, based in New York City, one of the nation’s oldest privately held real estate investment and development companies.

Popular arts and crafts merchant Hobby Lobby inked a 50,000-square-foot lease, making the national retailer the largest tenant at the center. The tenant is expected to take occupancy of the majority of the retail space formerly housing Mervyns in the last quarter of 2012, marking its first store in the Tucson market.

Hobby Lobby was represented by David Leathers of Northbrook, IL-based D.E. Johnson & Associates, Inc. in the lease negotiations.

Stein Mart, a high-end, off-price national retailer, will lease the remaining 34,000 square-foot balance of the former Mervyns space. The new storefront will serve as Stein Mart’s second Tucson location. Construction will commence immediately and the retailer is expected to take occupancy before the 2012 holiday season.

Jacksonville, Florida-based Stein Mart was represented by David Darr of The Place in San Antonio, TX.

The Vitamin Shoppe will occupy space at a multi-tenant pad located in front of the future Stein Mart store, along east Broadway Blvd. The Vitamin Shoppe is expected to move once construction is completed. The tenant was represented by Tom Woods of Colliers International in Phoenix; and Jerry Willis of Bialow Real Estate in Atlanta.

One of the largest specialty bedding companies in the world, Mattress Firm will locate next to the Vitamin Shoppe. The tenant is expected to open in early 2013. Darren Pitts of Velocity Retail Group in Phoenix represented Mattress Firm in the lease negotiations.

The site, located on a high-traffic volume intersection on the northeast corner of north Craycroft Road and east Broadway drew attention from interested retailers and developers almost from the time it closed. Strategically located between Park Place and El Con Malls, over 90,000 cars pass the parcel each day.

Mervyns LLC, based in San Francisco, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July 2008 but was unable to structure a financial recovery plan. The retailer had 175 stores in seven states.

By year-end, all locations had been closed.

Nancy McClure of CBRE’s Tucson office represented the landlord, East Broadway Tucson Co. LLC (Benenson Capital Partners), in negotiating all of the long-term lease agreements."

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/hobby-lobby-stein-mart-others-moving-into-prime-mervyn-s/article_83d65402-9eaa-11e1-ab03-0019bb2963f4.html

Damn. I was really hoping something more creative would have been put in that location instead. I was picturing something more like a 6 to 8 story mix-use residential and retail development. Something along the lines of the following examples (sorry about the large pics):

http://fortworthology.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/6242740118_f0f0b5188a_b.jpg

http://fortworthology.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/6242740118_f0f0b5188a_b.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/breaking_ground_06.jpg

http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/breaking_ground_06.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JFxAyq19aeo/TpdUVjIYTWI/AAAAAAAAAh4/u_og5Api-mQ/s1600/Gable%2527s+Bering+night_Layers.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JFxAyq19aeo/TpdUVjIYTWI/AAAAAAAAAh4/u_og5Api-mQ/s1600/Gable%2527s+Bering+night_Layers.jpg

Would have been cool, but I'm not oppossed to the Hobby Lobby plan either. It'll be nice to see it be redeveloped for multiple retail stores rather than just one.

Anqrew
May 15, 2012, 6:35 PM
does this mean that ugly shack at the intersection of Broadway and craycroft will be torn down?

Anqrew
May 15, 2012, 6:36 PM
Damn. I was really hoping something more creative would have been put in that location instead. I was picturing something more like a 6 to 8 story mix-use residential and retail development. Something along the lines of the following examples (sorry about the large pics):

Would have been cool, but I'm not oppossed to the Hobby Lobby plan either. It'll be nice to see it be redeveloped for multiple retail stores rather than just one.

i was hoping the same too, since, that area has a lot of mid-rise buildings, would have been a great addition to have a neat development there.

kaneui
May 15, 2012, 6:40 PM
Bringing back a bit of mid-century nostalgia, the "Neon Pueblo" is coming alive again with the first group of approximately 30 historic signs that will be restored and relit over the next several years:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/Neonsigns-PCCcampus.jpg
Four newly restored Miracle Mile neon signs have found a
permanent home at PCC's downtown campus.
(photo: David Olsen)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/DivingLadysign-night.jpg http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/NeonDivingLadysign.jpg
Downtown's refurbished Diving Lady sign replaces the "refrigerated" section with "Piccarreta Davis," the law firm
that owns and occupies the building that was once the Pueblo Hotel.
(photos: Downtown Tucsonan)

Diving Lady Sign is Alighted and Well
By Teya Vitu
Downtown Tucsonan
May 15, 2012

Bright paint, cool neon and a polka-dot bikini now adorn the Pueblo Hotel & Apartments neon sign that had stood dark, faded and rusted at the corner of 6th Avenue and 12th Street for a good four decades. The Diving Lady neon is glowing for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Restored 1950’s Tucson neon history has started lighting the nighttime streetscapes in recent weeks. Four neon signs from a bygone era have graced the north edge of the Pima Community College Downtown Campus on Drachman Road since April 25. The colorful neon tubes were illuminated on April 27 on these good-as-new signs from the Tropicana Motor Hotel, Medina Sporting Goods sign, the Magic Carpet Golf sign and an Arizonan Hotel/Canyon State Motor Lodge sign. The Pueblo Hotel & Apartments sign, aka the Diving Lady, followed suit as signmaker Jude Cook reinstalled the sign at its original location on May 8, did finishing electrical touches on May 9, and joined the building’s co-owner, Barry Davis at the Diving Lady’s grand lighting and robe unveiling on May 11.

Public interest in the Diving Lady has been especially intense. “It is very apparent that the people around here have ownership of that sign,” said Davis, who has wanted to restore the Diving Lady since he moved his law office into the building in 1993. “I honestly can’t say I expected this much attention. I’m surprised by it. It makes me happy.” Cook, owner of Cook & Co. Sign Makers, restored the Diving Lady and all the PCC Drachman signs except Magic Carpet. The Diving Lady stands out for him, largely because its in the same location as its been since about 1950 and it’s in the heart of Downtown. “This is the poster child of restoration,” Cook said. “It’s the first real total restoration. (Rusting) was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. All in all, she was in pretty good shape.”

For full article: http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/05/diving-lady-sign-is-alighted-and-well/

Anqrew
May 15, 2012, 7:15 PM
BEN’S BELLS ADDS A KINDNESS MURAL AT ONE SOUTH CHURCH TOWER
http://www.downtowntucson.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/bens-bell-mural-tuesday1-300x168.jpg

Tucson’s tallest building, the glass tower now called One South Church, was meant to have a twin tower.

Instead, a 12-foot-tall utility plug for a second tower has decorated the Stone Avenue side of the plaza for 25 years.

Jeannette Maré took immediate notice of this concrete stump when she moved her Ben’s Bells office into the Charles O. Brown House, 40 West Broadway, a half block away and within plain sight of One South Church and its phantom twin.

As soon as Ben’s Bells’ January 20 grand opening simmered down, Maré bore down on One South Church. It took barely an ounce of her powers of persuasion to win over Buzz Isaacson, the CB Richard Ellis broker who represents One South Church.

“I was speaking with Buzz Isaacson,” said Maré, founder and executive director of Ben’s Bells. “He made it happen. The owners were very cool about it.”

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2012/05/bens-bells-adds-a-kindness-mural-at-one-south-church-tower/

Anqrew
May 15, 2012, 8:42 PM
Marana considering 2012 annexations, plans to clear islands

The Town of Marana continues to combat the poor economy, first by showing a 2 percent growth in its projected 2012-2013 fiscal year budget, and now by planning future annexations of a county island in the Twin Peaks Interchange and north into Pinal County, to include the Pinal County Airpark.

The Twin Peaks Interchange experiences a high volume of traffic, and the annexation of the county island would give Marana complete control of commercial sales taxes from developing businesses in the area.

“This is a prime location for a lot of commercial development,” said Town Manager Gilbert Davidson. “It’s a new interchange that connects major portions of our community. Right around the interchange, you’re going to see gas stations, hotels, and restaurants. Also, on the Marana Spectrum, which is a large commercial master plan, there will be a lot of commercial retail.”

One of the commercial projects rumored to be in the works is a large shopping mall near the area, which would become the largest mall in Southern Arizona.

The town will also complement the Twin Peaks Interchange with Cascada, a 2,500-home master-planned community already in early development stages.

http://explorernews.com/news/article_0e212fee-9963-11e1-a892-0019bb2963f4.html

found a page for the Marana Spectrum, which appears to have a whole new design and layout for the property, which can be found here.

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/MarketingBrochure/webapps/webprints/Marketing_Package_for_Site_SAZM1553.pdf

I don't think the Marana Spectrum is the "shopping mall" however mentioned in the article. Maybe it is referring to Shops at Tangerine? I would love to have a new indoor shopping mall to the area especially one that claims to be bigger than the Tucson Mall.

Ritarancher
May 16, 2012, 2:18 AM
does this mean that ugly shack at the intersection of Broadway and craycroft will be torn down?

I loved mervyns and cant believe it closed with the lines that lasted forever and all. anyway i think that change is good, a new highrise wouldnt be much good there, its a good reatail location. Now only if we could get Circuit City building to become a new store(s). I also think that that area is just a little too suburban for anything new.

Ritarancher
May 16, 2012, 2:20 AM
Marana considering 2012 annexations, plans to clear islands

The Town of Marana continues to combat the poor economy, first by showing a 2 percent growth in its projected 2012-2013 fiscal year budget, and now by planning future annexations of a county island in the Twin Peaks Interchange and north into Pinal County, to include the Pinal County Airpark.

The Twin Peaks Interchange experiences a high volume of traffic, and the annexation of the county island would give Marana complete control of commercial sales taxes from developing businesses in the area.

“This is a prime location for a lot of commercial development,” said Town Manager Gilbert Davidson. “It’s a new interchange that connects major portions of our community. Right around the interchange, you’re going to see gas stations, hotels, and restaurants. Also, on the Marana Spectrum, which is a large commercial master plan, there will be a lot of commercial retail.”

One of the commercial projects rumored to be in the works is a large shopping mall near the area, which would become the largest mall in Southern Arizona.

The town will also complement the Twin Peaks Interchange with Cascada, a 2,500-home master-planned community already in early development stages.

http://explorernews.com/news/article_0e212fee-9963-11e1-a892-0019bb2963f4.html

found a page for the Marana Spectrum, which appears to have a whole new design and layout for the property, which can be found here.

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/MarketingBrochure/webapps/webprints/Marketing_Package_for_Site_SAZM1553.pdf

I don't think the Marana Spectrum is the "shopping mall" however mentioned in the article. Maybe it is referring to Shops at Tangerine? I would love to have a new indoor shopping mall to the area especially one that claims to be bigger than the Tucson Mall.

Any news about the shopping center that was supposed to open on Old Vail road and Houghton, or the shops at vail?

Locofresh55
May 16, 2012, 12:08 PM

The old repair garage right?? It was listed as a "Tucson Oddity" and according to the article, there weren't immediate plans to tear it down. Considering they beefed up that area across the street by putting Five Guys, that brewery/restaurant and Party city, they need to beef up the old Mervyn's building as well. Just tear down the dang garage and put something decent there I say.

andrewsaturn
May 17, 2012, 1:06 AM
Construction set for controversial high-rise

Posted: May 16, 2012 5:10 PM

"TUCSON - Construction is set to begin on a controversial new high-rise near the University of Arizona Campus, but some Tucsonans are still fighting it.

After getting thousands of signatures on petitions for the city to reconsider an overlay ordinance that makes this building possible, the petitions were thrown out over certain legal disclaimers, but high-rise opponents won't give up the fight, even going to the Arizona Court of Appeals.

Meanwhile, the Chicago-based developer, Campus Acquisitions, already has a demolition permit and a permit to construct the foundation of the building.

The city confirms, the developer has not applied for the other necessary permits yet to finish the construction of the 14-story high-rise, and said some developers apply permit by permit, while others apply for one combination permit for the entire construction.

Campus Acquisitions tells us they plan to start construction sometime next week, and continue until they complete the building in time for students to move in by mid-August 2013.

Val Little with the West University Neighborhood Association said she and the petitioners believe these high rise buildings will be more of a barrier between the homes and campus.

"I feel good moving forward that so many people have supported this effort, so it would be really interesting if the Appeals Court decided in our favor and interesting to see how it played out and how many of our signatures were actually valid, but I think we've made a very powerful statement in Tucson," said Little.

For now, the developer is free to move forward with construction, but if the appeals court rules in favor of the petitioners, the city would have to re-check the petitions and possibly reconsider the overlay ordinance that allows 14-story buildings in the area."

http://www.kvoa.com/news/construction-set-for-controversial-high-rise/

I wonder what Val Little means when shes says that if the court favors them, they "made a powerful statement in Tucson"? A statement that investors are going to have a tough time starting a business in Tucson because neighborhood associations will be keeping them in line? If they win this one, they're hindering Tucson's effort to "grow" up. If they are rejected, I think the implications will be prominent that Tucson is changing and wants to become a modern great little city.

andrewsaturn
May 17, 2012, 1:13 AM
I loved mervyns and cant believe it closed with the lines that lasted forever and all. anyway i think that change is good, a new highrise wouldnt be much good there, its a good reatail location. Now only if we could get Circuit City building to become a new store(s). I also think that that area is just a little too suburban for anything new.

I agree, I don't think there is even a residential development directly on Broadway between Swan and Wilmot. It would of been nice if the development looked like the one shown above but that spot is good for retail.

Ted Lyons
May 17, 2012, 2:54 AM
http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/redevelopment-renderings-for-mervyns/article_52249efc-9eee-11e1-bdce-001a4bcf887a.html

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/insidetucsonbusiness.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/6a/a6a60880-9eee-11e1-a6be-001a4bcf887a/4fb3d9448c4ce.image.jpg

Patrick S
May 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
Finally some news about that prime land being developed. I never heard of these stores so here are their websites and pics if some of you haven't either. We can get an idea of how the plaza might look with their logos and whatnot. These stores are already in Phoenix, so if you're from PHX or shopped at these stores there, maybe let us know if you like them.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/

First one in Tucson

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5ZReqavBcmY/Tf-JuSpM4FI/AAAAAAAABm4/tn9IunUIvBk/s400/hobby-lobby2.jpg

http://www.steinmart.com/
http://themurfreesborobuzz.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/10/steinmart2.jpg
There's one on Stone Ave.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/vitamins_minerals/index.jsp?tab_selection=

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/images/en/management/VS_Store.jpg

The first one in Tucson.

http://blog.velocityretail.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/matt_firm.jpg

Mattress Firm, multiple locations in Tucson.

I've been to a Hobby Lobby where I'm from in southern Illinois (though this one will be newer - the one there was put in an old-school regular WalMart then when they built a Super WalMart it became a Bud's, as in Bud Walton, Sam's brother, picture a store for those who can't afford to shop at WalMart, scary, after Bud's a Hobby Lobby was put there - and it's in a much bigger city). It's basically like Michael's Crafts. It sells stuff for crafts, sowing, that kind of stuff.

BTW - I really hope they do tear down that shack. That place gives me the creeps when I drive by. I picture like Freddy Krugger living there or something.