PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93

Biff
Jun 27, 2023, 8:42 PM
I’m know every one loves to bash Chevy (me included) but that is a pretty good return for a player who can walk at the end of next season. Most analysts are saying that is an exceptional haul.

esquire
Jun 27, 2023, 8:46 PM
Chevy did good work minimizing the damage, but the end result is still a letdown. Would anyone really say Gabriel Vilardi is as good as Pierre Luc Dubois? Iafollo and Kupari are depth pieces at best. I guess the draft pick is good. Still a disappointing result for Patrik Laine, which is ultimately what this is.

thurmas
Jun 27, 2023, 8:46 PM
its a very good haul now just need to get a return for Helly and dump Wheels. I am okay with keeping 55 till trade deadline as its just too many pieces having to move at once in one summer.

Highwayman
Jun 27, 2023, 9:43 PM
Chevy did good work minimizing the damage, but the end result is still a letdown. Would anyone really say Gabriel Vilardi is as good as Pierre Luc Dubois? Iafollo and Kupari are depth pieces at best. I guess the draft pick is good. Still a disappointing result for Patrik Laine, which is ultimately what this is.

LA fans think very different then you do. They know those guys are actually up and coming players and did very well in the playoffs. It seems to me you just cannot be positive about anything Jets related. Man we made it to the conference finals. Been in the playoffs every years since except once. Everyone that played Vegas this playoff round gor fleeced by them. Yet the jets are just a dumpster fire :koko:.

Once Wheels is gone that team which did very well for half the season till Wheels came back. And did you notice once he came back the team went down hill ???? Probably not as you are to fixated with saying we are just a bubble team.....

We got an amazing haule for PLD who was a no show in the playoffs and 50% of the season. How's Laine doing btw. Last time I looked he was still a pylon waiting for pucks.

I have very high hopes for this coming season IF Wheeler GONE.

Highwayman
Jun 27, 2023, 9:45 PM
its a very good haul now just need to get a return for Helly and dump Wheels. I am okay with keeping 55 till trade deadline as its just too many pieces having to move at once in one summer.

55 once his stepfather Wheeler is gone might actually turn out to be a much better player then we have seen. So might be good to wait. As we might want to keep him.:cheers:

trueviking
Jun 27, 2023, 10:04 PM

i disagree....this is a nice return. I'm quite happy.
You have to count three years of Dubois in the return for Laine.

It's unrealistic to expect like for like trades for as long as a player exists....age and contract status matters....he was a UFA next year. The jets owned 82 games worth of Dubois and they cashed that in for four pieces.

Vilardi has huge upside and will play on the second line. If he stays healthy, he could be better than Dubois.
Iafollo is more than a depth piece....he's a solid third line winger for Lowry. The jets need a stronger third line.

and if we are lamenting Laine....the Jets got three years of PLD, a second-round pick, a second, third and fourth line player....all for a guy who has averaged 19 goals per season in the last three years....sounds great.

esquire
Jun 27, 2023, 10:25 PM
^ It's a positive step, I don't doubt it. The ship sailed on Dubois so this is making the best of a bad situation. Kudos to Chevy for that. It's just unfortunate that the Jets were in that bad situation to begin with.

trueviking
Jun 27, 2023, 11:00 PM
I don’t really see it as the best of a bad situation. As contracts expire, the asset reduces. He’s hardly the first player to go to free agency when he became eligible. Trading veteran with no term for a like veteran with term is not a reasonable expectation for any team. At some point you trade established player with little asset left in the contract for potential. Like Copp last year, Chevy turned a small asset into significant potential.

Let’s be honest about PLD. He hasn’t demonstrated much more than average 2c ability at this stage of his career. Maybe he becomes more but it’s still a risk.

The Jabroni
Jun 27, 2023, 11:28 PM

Vilardi is very serviceable and will do very good.

Iaffalo I'm more excited about. Sure, he may walk in a year or so, he's a defensive minded forward. He will definitely improve our penalty kill.

Kupari may need some work. 4th liner at best.

esquire
Jun 27, 2023, 11:42 PM
Alright alright, you guys are selling me on the haul! Some optimism may even be creeping into my soul...

thurmas
Jun 28, 2023, 12:10 AM
Alright alright, you guys are selling me on the haul! Some optimism may even be creeping into my soul...

Jets just traded Scheifele for Moe Mantha junior

trueviking
Jun 28, 2023, 2:46 AM

Ha ha. Mission accomplished. Now we have to work on your feelings about downtown.

BlackDog204
Jun 28, 2023, 3:06 AM

Not Gabriel Vilardi alone, although he can become a 60 point player. The other 2 and a 2nd round pick was a nice touch.

We will win this trade.

bomberjet
Jun 28, 2023, 1:42 PM
I would say that Chevy has done fairly well with these trades over the years. Evander Kane, Laine, now PLD.

I'm not sure how things will go with Helle. Top notch goalie in his prime must fetch an even higher return than they got for PLD. Like for like probably isn't possible.

But I would be very happy if they got a 1/2C plus picks for Hellebuyck. Then were able to acquire Carter Hart or someone like that.

Talk of Scheifele to Boston. So maybe Swayman does come this way. I'm not sold on Swayman yet. Not sure what other goalies are available at this time.

dmacc
Jun 28, 2023, 1:52 PM
I would say that Chevy has done fairly well with these trades over the years. Evander Kane, Laine, now PLD.

I'm not sure how things will go with Helle. Top notch goalie in his prime must fetch an even higher return than they got for PLD. Like for like probably isn't possible.

But I would be very happy if they got a 1/2C plus picks for Hellebuyck. Then were able to acquire Carter Hart or someone like that.

Talk of Scheifele to Boston. So maybe Swayman does come this way. I'm not sold on Swayman yet. Not sure what other goalies are available at this time.

How about Helle for Hart and Sanheim? We were reportedly in talks with Philly on Sanheim.

thurmas
Jun 28, 2023, 2:14 PM
I rather trade Helle and get a serviceable goalie and a defenseman upgrade. Helle gives up a lot of early period fluke goals that shatter team momentum and his playoffs stats are pretty mediocre.

BlackDog204
Jun 28, 2023, 2:18 PM
I rather trade Helle and get a serviceable goalie and a defenseman upgrade. Helle gives up a lot of early period fluke goals that shatter team momentum and his playoffs stats are pretty mediocre.

You obviously have not followed Hellebuycks career.

thurmas
Jun 28, 2023, 2:49 PM
You obviously have not followed Hellebuycks career.

His career playoffs is 17-23 with 2.58 gaa nothing special there

CoryB
Jun 28, 2023, 3:52 PM

No way of slicing it but the Jets got fleeced on the Laine/PLD trade. That the Jets gave up a player picked #2 in the draft plus another player picked in the first round and got the #3 pick in return cannot be excused. Either Chevy drafted poorly at #2 and should have taken PLD or Columbus got the better deal as they got two first round players and gave up one.

You also somewhat conveniently left out the Trouba deal, the Statsny affair (rental, lost to Vegas for more money, then bailed Vegas out of a deal they couldn't afford), Hayes and many, many other questionable yet smaller choices Chevy has made.

I think for Helle the Jets need to get a hottish goalie prospect in return and a NHL ready top 4 D. The goalie prospect is definitely going to be a longer term project and could work or could fizzle but that is the risk of goalie prospects. Reality is if the Jets are going to rebuild they could pickup a cheap "backup" goalie or two in free agency and run with a pair splitting games roughly evenly for a couple of years. This won't be a cup contention team so plan the goalie pipeline to be dropping a younger hot goalie into the lineup in about five years time. The other reality is if the Jets haven't blown the bank on a clear #1 goalie is leaves space in the team for a hot prospect on the Moose to quickly take the lead on the big team.

thurmas
Jun 28, 2023, 3:55 PM
No way of slicing it but the Jets got fleeced on the Laine/PLD trade. That the Jets gave up a player picked #2 in the draft plus another player picked in the first round and got the #3 pick in return cannot be excused. Either Chevy drafted poorly at #2 and should have taken PLD or Columbus got the better deal as they got two first round players and gave up one.

You also somewhat conveniently left out the Trouba deal, the Statsny affair (rental, lost to Vegas for more money, then bailed Vegas out of a deal they couldn't afford), Hayes and many, many other questionable yet smaller choices Chevy has made.

I think for Helle the Jets need to get a hottish goalie prospect in return and a NHL ready top 4 D. The goalie prospect is definitely going to be a longer term project and could work or could fizzle but that is the risk of goalie prospects. Reality is if the Jets are going to rebuild they could pickup a cheap "backup" goalie or two in free agency and run with a pair splitting games roughly evenly for a couple of years. This won't be a cup contention team so plan the goalie pipeline to be dropping a younger hot goalie into the lineup in about five years time. The other reality is if the Jets haven't blown the bank on a clear #1 goalie is leaves space in the team for a hot prospect on the Moose to quickly take the lead on the big team.

Agreed get pokey and the bandit 2.0 while we groom another Essensa

esquire
Jun 28, 2023, 4:15 PM

What choice did Cheveldayoff have with Laine? Laine was fed up and wanted out. He was a distressed asset and the entire league knew it. That Cheveldayoff was able to get someone comparable like Dubois, who was in a similar situation in Columbus, was no mean feat. Yes the Jets had to give up Roslovic but I don't think that was a big deal in the long run.

Chevy has a good track record of playing some shitty cards effectively, but the real problem here are the underlying issues behind why the Jets are faced with an inordinately large number of players who are disenchanted, disconnected and want out. Getting Dubois for Laine was pretty good, but what caused Dubois to sour on the Jets so fast? Let's face it, all of Chevy's moves are dancing around the main issue of what is causing the problems in the first place... and they are still on the roster. All that Chevy is doing is treating the symptoms.

CoryB
Jun 28, 2023, 5:09 PM
^ It's a positive step, I don't doubt it. The ship sailed on Dubois so this is making the best of a bad situation. Kudos to Chevy for that. It's just unfortunate that the Jets were in that bad situation to begin with.

Let's back that up for a minute. The PLD situation is heavily of Chevy's own making. PLD was unhappy in Columbus and looking for anyway out of town. His dad is an NHL assistant coach and helps broker a deal between the team he works for at the time and his son. In just over a year Chevy has fired his dad and sent Dubbois mom and sister, both of which he talked publicly about being close to when arriving in Winnipeg, out of town. Is there any doubt on why PLD wanted out of Winnipeg so bad after Chevy treated his family that way? And if you want to say that is all immaterial to the on ice piece of the business you aren't wrong but Chevy knew full well that off ice piece was an important aspect of the PLD trade and he choose to ignore it.

CoryB
Jun 28, 2023, 5:12 PM
Let's face it, all of Chevy's moves are dancing around the main issue of what is causing the problems in the first place... and they are still on the roster. All that Chevy is doing is treating the symptoms.

Chevy's main problem isn't "on the roster" but rather it is in his mirror. It is 100% why PLD was so happy to come here, and be with his family, and also why his family is no longer here.

BlackDog204
Jun 28, 2023, 5:15 PM
His career playoffs is 17-23 with 2.58 gaa nothing special there

Just using those two stats as a measure of Hellebuyck goaltending abilities, just proves you don't know much about the sport

thurmas
Jun 28, 2023, 5:59 PM
Just using those two stats as a measure of Hellebuyck goaltending abilities, just proves you don't know much about the sport

2019 playoffs he is 13th best goalie: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2018-19-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2020 playoffs he is 24th best goalie: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2019-20-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2021 playoffs he is 8th he had excellent series against Edmonton I give him that
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2020-21-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2022 misses playoffs

2023 playoffs he is 18th best goalie:
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

BlackDog204
Jun 28, 2023, 6:07 PM
What choice did Cheveldayoff have with Laine? Laine was fed up and wanted out. He was a distressed asset and the entire league knew it. That Cheveldayoff was able to get someone comparable like Dubois, who was in a similar situation in Columbus, was no mean feat. Yes the Jets had to give up Roslovic but I don't think that was a big deal in the long run.

Chevy has a good track record of playing some shitty cards effectively, but the real problem here are the underlying issues behind why the Jets are faced with an inordinately large number of players who are disenchanted, disconnected and want out. Getting Dubois for Laine was pretty good, but what caused Dubois to sour on the Jets so fast? Let's face it, all of Chevy's moves are dancing around the main issue of what is causing the problems in the first place... and they are still on the roster. All that Chevy is doing is treating the symptoms.

Same thing has happened in Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa. Players don't want to play in small market Canadian cities.

esquire
Jun 28, 2023, 6:24 PM
Let's back that up for a minute. The PLD situation is heavily of Chevy's own making. PLD was unhappy in Columbus and looking for anyway out of town. His dad is an NHL assistant coach and helps broker a deal between the team he works for at the time and his son. In just over a year Chevy has fired his dad and sent Dubbois mom and sister, both of which he talked publicly about being close to when arriving in Winnipeg, out of town. Is there any doubt on why PLD wanted out of Winnipeg so bad after Chevy treated his family that way? And if you want to say that is all immaterial to the on ice piece of the business you aren't wrong but Chevy knew full well that off ice piece was an important aspect of the PLD trade and he choose to ignore it.

Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else? Dubois' dad Eric was not fired... he's still with the organization: https://www.nhl.com/jets/team/hockeyoperations/eric-dubois

I'm not sure what if any issue Pierre Luc Dubois would have regarding how his dad has been treated.

cheswick
Jun 28, 2023, 7:17 PM

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Eric Dubois was never an NHL assistant coach. He was a junior coach prior to taking on an assistant role with the Manitoba Moose in which he still has.

dmacc
Jun 28, 2023, 7:49 PM
2019 playoffs he is 13th best goalie: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2018-19-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2020 playoffs he is 24th best goalie: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2019-20-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2021 playoffs he is 8th he had excellent series against Edmonton I give him that
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2020-21-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

2022 misses playoffs

2023 playoffs he is 18th best goalie:
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

I see you conveniently leave out 2018 playoffs where he is 3rd:
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2017-18-nhl-goalies-playoff-stats.html

Helle's performance is very much dictated by the quality of team in front of him.

thurmas
Jun 29, 2023, 1:16 AM
Jets selection is Colby Barlow pure sniper on left wing from Orillia Ontario

wags_in_the_peg
Jun 29, 2023, 11:11 AM
Jets draft pick is going to be awesome. Captain of his OHL team at 17, scholastic player of the year and huge sniper. Him and last year McGroarty will be competing forvthe C in 3 years, lol

thurmas
Jun 29, 2023, 12:52 PM
Interview with Chevy yesterday sounds like the teams plan is to go young again. Makes sense I wouldn't mind seeing a kid line in the next 12 or 18 months.

bomberjet
Jun 29, 2023, 1:07 PM
Sounds like Rutger will play at least one more year in College to be as ready for pro hockey as he can be. Maybe we'll see him sign and be in camp next year.

I know nothing about Barlow. But seems like a good pick for what was there at 18. He's Canadian, so that's a start haha

esquire
Jun 29, 2023, 1:40 PM
I don't profess to be a player development expert, but isn't it weird that the last bona fide full time NHLer the Jets drafted was Patrik Laine in 2016? Everyone else since then has been a bit of a tweener spending most of their time in the minors. It feels like these guys are taking a really long time in the oven before they're ready.

I guess Kovacevic is finally making the jump, but for Montreal. Maybe Perfetti will do the same for the Jets this season. Heinola, Gustafsson, Vesalainen and Samberg are some other guys who could potentially make the leap.

bomberjet
Jun 29, 2023, 1:47 PM
The draft process definetly slowed. But I think that has to do with the earlier Jets picks being drafted higher up. in the 1-10 spots. The later are mostly in the 15-20 (and later) spots.

Kyle Connor being the exception as he slid quite a bit.

This is an effect of going on the 2018 playoff run, trading picks for players and generally finishing higher in the standings. Medicore teams get mediocre draft picks. And float on the bubble. Need to tank and get some good picks for a few years.

Hopefully Lambert, McGroarty, Lucius, Barlow, Perfetti can push this team into the next era.

optimusREIM
Jun 29, 2023, 1:55 PM
I don't profess to be a player development expert, but isn't it weird that the last bona fide full time NHLer the Jets drafted was Patrik Laine in 2016? Everyone else since then has been a bit of a tweener spending most of their time in the minors. It feels like these guys are taking a really long time in the oven before they're ready.

I guess Kovacevic is finally making the jump, but for Montreal. Maybe Perfetti will do the same for the Jets this season. Heinola, Gustafsson, Vesalainen and Samberg are some other guys who could potentially make the leap.

Perfetti did start the season with the big boys this year but got hurt. It was around the same time that the wheels started falling off, coincidence?

thurmas
Jun 29, 2023, 3:47 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/jets-struggling-to-find-solid-trade-return-for-hellebuyck/ar-AA1ddbXZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3df63b2ff26943629f9564ecbed2ec0d&ei=6

Jets Struggling to Find Solid Trade Return For Hellebuyck

According to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic, the Winnipeg Jets may not be able to repeat the success they had when they traded Pierre-Luc Dubois by trading goaltender Connor Hellebuyck. A goaltender that every team knows is a Vezina-caliber starter, trade talks haven’t gotten very far with teams, mainly because of his contract situation.

LeBrun reports the New Jersey Devils might be among the closest to acquiring the netminder, but there’s concern with Hellebuyck’s future contract demands and what it would cost the Devils to land him in a deal, only to be stuck on price as the two sides negotiate a new contract to keep him around. LeBrun writes:

The Devils remain interested in Connor Hellebuyck. They know what he would mean to them as far as an upgrade. But I don’t believe they’re interested in paying a big price for him because they’re also comfortable just running it back in goal (minus MacKenzie Blackwood, who was traded to San Jose on Tuesday). I’m not convinced Winnipeg has a lot of traction yet on the Hellebuyck trade front, even though we’re talking about a Vezina Trophy finalist again this year.

LeBrun says a lot of this is on the new trend in the NHL not to overspend on goaltenders, mainly because most teams use two goalies on a regular basis. He added, “It probably speaks to how front offices see the goaltending position in today’s NHL (“don’t spend on goalies”) or just in general how goalie trades are always unpredictable.”

The Jets might end up rolling things back with Hellebuyck and then revisiting a trade at the NHL Trade Deadline. It’s not ideal, but at that point, he becomes perhaps the most sought-after rental on the market. “But New Jersey remains the team to watch on him,” LeBrun says, so we’ll see where this goes.

cheswick
Jun 29, 2023, 5:53 PM

Outside of the top 5, picks are less certain and take longer to develop.

Probability of playing 100 NHL games:
https://dobberprospects.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Simplified-NHL-Draft-probabilities.png

BlackDog204
Jun 29, 2023, 8:29 PM

Perfetti is already a full time NHL player. He was injured last year. Samberg is also proving to be a serviceable NHL defender. Stanley is in the lineup too.

esquire
Jun 29, 2023, 10:36 PM
Stanley got scratched a lot, I wouldn't quite put him up in that category. But yeah, now that you mention it I guess Perfetti was a regular in the lineup this last season.

pspeid
Jun 30, 2023, 12:01 AM
The Jets draft picks from this year:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/every-winnipeg-jets-draft-pick-from-2023-nhl-draft/

thurmas
Jun 30, 2023, 3:33 PM
Jets have placed Blake Wheeler on waivers for purpose of buyout.

Sheepish
Jun 30, 2023, 5:36 PM
While it's a sure bet that Blake Wheeler does not check this forum to see what people are saying about him, I will say this...though clearly he lost a step or two, he has been an exceptional asset to this team over the years, and we have been fortunate to have him here. I'm sure some of his decline is at least as frustrating to him as it is to the watchers. Wishing him and his family well - and hope he has opportunity to return and receive proper acknowledgement.

thurmas
Jun 30, 2023, 5:40 PM
Blake is a good guy who did tremendous work in the community as did his wife. I wish them well.

wags_in_the_peg
Jun 30, 2023, 6:04 PM
100% he was a community man as was his wife, lots of behind the scene activity that no one even knows about. 1st class man!

and one of the best celebrations in OT - "undoes chinstrap"

esquire
Jun 30, 2023, 7:08 PM
^ That being said, it was by all accounts time for him to move on.

BlackDog204
Jul 1, 2023, 6:41 PM
Wheeler just signed with the NY Rangers for only $800,000/year.

thurmas
Jul 1, 2023, 6:44 PM

Holly smokes wow he's making almost zach collaros money ha ha (I know collaros makes only 600k cdn)

thurmas
Jul 1, 2023, 7:36 PM
Jets just signed brossoit and Colin delia as their goalies. I think helly trade might be coming soon.

roccerfeller
Jul 2, 2023, 2:05 AM
Jets just signed brossoit and Colin delia as their goalies. I think helly trade might be coming soon.

i dont think so
chevy said was signed to backup Helle in his conference

delia is an AHL tender

Highwayman
Jul 2, 2023, 2:41 AM
Holly smokes wow he's making almost zach collaros money ha ha (I know collaros makes only 600k cdn)

You forgot the $8.5 million it cost to buy him out. So realistically he's making almost $10 million

trueviking
Jul 2, 2023, 4:30 AM

Er. He’s being paid by the jets.

BlackDog204
Jul 2, 2023, 7:07 PM
You forgot the $8.5 million it cost to buy him out. So realistically he's making almost $10 million

It did not cost Winnipeg $8.5 million to buy him out. I believe the Jets will pay Wheeler $2.75 million over the next 2 seasons.

BlackDog204
Jul 2, 2023, 7:12 PM
Er. He’s being paid by the jets.

Yes, Wheeler will make $3.55 million next season (2.75 million with the buyout in addition to the $800k NYR are paying him).

Biff
Jul 3, 2023, 7:18 PM
I’m no expert, but I don’t think that is how it works. I believe Wheeler gets paid his full $8.5m. The $2.75 per year is just what counts towards the Jets cap for the next two years. The team that does the buy out gets the relief from having the full amount counting against the cap or a player no longer on the team.

BlackDog204
Jul 3, 2023, 9:31 PM
I’m no expert, but I don’t think that is how it works. I believe Wheeler gets paid his full $8.5m. The $2.75 per year is just what counts towards the Jets cap for the next two years. The team that does the buy out gets the relief from having the full amount counting against the cap or a player no longer on the team.

Wheeler actually signed in 2018, for five years (2019-24) at $8.25 million AAV

I'm pretty certain that Wheeler only will receive a total of $5.5 million from the Jets, which will be paid out for two consecutive years at $2.75 million per season. It would not be in most NHL teams best interest to pay out 100% of full salaries, when said player is playing on a different team, especially if the player is bought out early in his contract. It also would create a situation where Wheeler is making over $9 million for 2023-24.

Forcing a team to pay out 100% of a players salary after he is bought out may not affect the Toronto's and NY Rangers of the NHL, who will likely make money regardless, but it would cripple a team like Winnipeg, Buffalo, or Ottawa.

Here are some FAQ I obtained from Capfriendly:

Teams are permitted to buyout a players contract to obtain a reduced salary cap hit over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The buyout amount is a function of the players age at the time of the buyout, and are as follows:

1/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is younger than 26 at the time of the buyout
2/3 of the remaining contract value, if the player is 26 or older at the time of the buyout

As explained above, the buyout is spread out over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The team still takes a caphit, and the caphit by year is calculated as follows:
Multiply the remaining salary (excluding signing bonuses) by the buyout amount (as determined by age) to obtain the total buyout cost
Spread the total buyout cost evenly over twice the remaining contract years

Determine the savings by subtracting the annual buyout cost from Step 2. by the players salary (excluding signing bonuses)
Determine the remaining caphit by subtracting the savings from Step 3. by the players Annual Average Salary (AAV) (including signing bonuses)

The above calculation is performed for each year of the buyout, meaning the buyout caphit is not necessarily the same for each year. It is also possible that the buyout caphit can be negative, meaning the team receives a credit.

Buyout Period

The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5pm ET.
For the 2021 off-season, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on July 27 at 5pm ET.

Compliance Buyout

During the buyout periods in 2013 and 2014, teams were permitted two compliance buyouts (also known as amnesty buyouts). The formula above is applied to determine the monetary amount paid to the player; however, they do not count against the cap.

Compliance buyouts were only permitted to be executed on a contract that was entered into on or before Sept. 15, 2012. They were also permitted to be performed on a 35-plus contract.

For one season following a compliance buyout, players were not permitted to rejoin the team which performed the buyout (this restriction does not exist for normal buyouts).
Waivers
A player can only be bought out after clearing unconditional waivers. A waiver-claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player can reject the option of waivers and proceed to the buyout process.

35-plus Contracts

A buyout of a 35+ contract that is two years in length or longer and:

1. Has a signing bonus in the 2nd or later year, OR
2. Is front-loaded

Will not benefit from a reduced cap hit.

The cap hit will remain structured as it was before the buyout. The benefit of a 35+ contract buyout with no cap hit reduction is that the player that the player will not count towards their 23 roster limit, and the salary owed to the player is reduced by 1/3

Signing Bonus

Signing bonuses are paid to the player regardless of a buyout. Therefore, as explained in the buyout caphit formula above, signing bonuses are excluded in the equation when determining the total buyout cost, and are included in the AAV value when determining the remaining caphit.

Signing bonuses therefore decrease the buyout caphit savings. In the case of players with significant signing bonuses, such as David Clarkson, the remaining caphit decreases minimally. Due to this, Clarkson's contract has been referred to as a buyout-proof contract.
Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period
Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Clubs are permitted to perform a buyout outside the regular period during the 48 hour period beginning on the third day after the final of [CBA 13(c)ii]:
Settlement of the Club's final arbitration case, or
Receipt of the Club's last arbitration award

Requirements:

A buyout can only be performed on a player who was on the clubs reserve list at 3:00pm on the most recent trade deadline
The player must have a cap hit of at least $4,000,000 for the 2023 offseason

There is an exception to this buyout period (CBA Reference: Section 11.18; 12.3) if the arbitation was Club-elected (as opposed to player-elected) and the player did not receive a qualifying offer. In this case, a minimum of two arbitration cases are necessary to trigger the buy-out period outside the regular window.

thurmas
Jul 3, 2023, 9:41 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/bruins-eyeing-mark-scheifele-in-trade-talks-to-fill-center-position/ar-AA1dnlyD

Bruins Eyeing Mark Scheifele in Trade Talks to Fill Center Position

midst the chaos that seems to be the Boston Bruins misreading the Tyler Bertuzzi free agency situation and watching the forward go to their division rival Toronto Maple Leafs, the Boston Bruins are maxed out when it comes to their salary cap situation. As a result, they are actively exploring the trade market as they prepare for a future without Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. Without Bergeron, Boston has a few options at the center with Pavel Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Morgan Geeke, and Patrick Brown. What they might not have is an effective top-line center.

While Bergeron’s final decision is yet to be made, the team is operating under the assumption that both he and Krejci may retire. Consequently, the Bruins have turned their attention to strengthening their roster via trade.

Among the potential targets, the Bruins have reportedly shown interest in Winnipeg Jets center Mark Scheifele. David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period writes:

One player the Bruins are believed to have expressed some interest in is Winnipeg Jets centre Mark Scheifele, who is in the final year of his contract and comes with a $6.125 million cap hit. He also owns a 10-team no-trade clause.

Scheifele’s offensive prowess and fearlessness on the ice make him an attractive fit in Boston, where he could seamlessly slot into the top line alongside Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak. Reports have indicated that the Bruins have been monitoring Scheifele’s situation closely, recognizing his potential to fill the void left by the potential retirements of Bergeron and Krejci.

Who Would Be Going the Other Way?
As Scheifele approaches unrestricted free agency next summer, he is expected to be highly motivated to perform at his best, making him an enticing asset for any team. In connection with Scheifele trade talks, there have been suggestions that 24-year-old Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman could be part of a potential package, addressing the Winnipeg Jets’ future goaltending needs. As the offseason progresses, the Bruins’ pursuit of a top-tier center like Scheifele remains a compelling storyline to watch, given the potential impact it could have on both teams involved.

BlackDog204
Jul 3, 2023, 10:22 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/bruins-eyeing-mark-scheifele-in-trade-talks-to-fill-center-position/ar-AA1dnlyD

Who Would Be Going the Other Way?
As Scheifele approaches unrestricted free agency next summer, he is expected to be highly motivated to perform at his best, making him an enticing asset for any team. In connection with Scheifele trade talks, there have been suggestions that 24-year-old Bruins goaltender Jeremy Swayman could be part of a potential package, addressing the Winnipeg Jets’ future goaltending needs. As the offseason progresses, the Bruins’ pursuit of a top-tier center like Scheifele remains a compelling storyline to watch, given the potential impact it could have on both teams involved.

This would be great, if PLD had remained on the Jets. The big problem with getting rid of Scheifele, is that our top 2 Centres will be departing. That would pretty much leave Perfetti as our top Centre, followed by Lowry and Namestnikov.

If we do trade Scheifele, hopefully it is for another top 6 centre and prospects. Next season will be certainly interesting. I am still hoping that the Jets can somehow convince Hellebuyck to sign an extension. From early reports, the market for goalies is not that great this season, and the Jets were probably discouraged about not being able to trade away Wheeler, even with retaining some of his salary.

thurmas
Jul 3, 2023, 10:45 PM
This would be great, if PLD had remained on the Jets. The big problem with getting rid of Scheifele, is that our top 2 Centres will be departing. That would pretty much leave Perfetti as our top Centre, followed by Lowry and Namestnikov.

If we do trade Scheifele, hopefully it is for another top 6 centre and prospects. Next season will be certainly interesting. I am still hoping that the Jets can somehow convince Hellebuyck to sign an extension. From early reports, the market for goalies is not that great this season, and the Jets were probably discouraged about not being able to trade away Wheeler, even with retaining some of his salary.

Get swayman and brossoit as your goalie tandem and in a helly trade get some forwards to compensate on the lost offense

thurmas
Jul 8, 2023, 10:30 PM
Colby and Rutger seem like best buds in jets development camp this week. Will be fun to see them in a couple of years as our new leaders for the team.

BlackDog204
Jul 9, 2023, 2:14 PM
Colby and Rutger seem like best buds in jets development camp this week. Will be fun to see them in a couple of years as our new leaders for the team.

I've heard Lambert is turning heads too

bomberjet
Jul 10, 2023, 1:52 PM
This years draft and the development camp have got me excited about the future.

F Lambert
F Lucius
F McGroarty
F Barlow
F Chibrikov
F Rashevsky (If he ever comes over to NA)

D Salomonsson
D Kuzmin

G DeVincentiis
G Milic

thurmas
Jul 10, 2023, 2:08 PM
Lambert Rutger Colby and Tommy Milic give some hope.

esquire
Jul 17, 2023, 2:06 PM
I was at the Sea Bears game yesterday and I noticed that work on the premium seating area improvements at the north end of the lower bowl are really coming along. Saw some really big changes compared to when I was last there for a Sea Bears game a few weeks ago...

-Work is now well under way on the former Moxie's location
-The new stairs are now in place leading from the Budweiser King Club bar area to the lower level
-The suites at the north end of the lower bowl are now under construction with scaffolds out front as they get converted into that new breed of premium seating that Biff was talking about before

Looks like there will be some noticeable changes in that area this season.

trueviking
Jul 17, 2023, 5:28 PM
This years draft and the development camp have got me excited about the future.

F Lambert
F Lucius
F McGroarty
F Barlow
F Chibrikov
F Rashevsky (If he ever comes over to NA)

D Salomonsson
D Kuzmin

G DeVincentiis
G Milic

a lot of unknown there....hopefully at least a couple of them become good NHL players.

lotw_wpg
Jul 17, 2023, 6:00 PM
I was at the Sea Bears game yesterday and I noticed that work on the premium seating area improvements at the north end of the lower bowl are really coming along. Saw some really big changes compared to when I was last there for a Sea Bears game a few weeks ago...

-Work is now well under way on the former Moxie's location
-The new stairs are now in place leading from the Budweiser King Club bar area to the lower level
-The suites at the north end of the lower bowl are now under construction with scaffolds out front as they get converted into that new breed of premium seating that Biff was talking about before

Looks like there will be some noticeable changes in that area this season.

Yeah, I'm pumped for it. This is what they are doing with the suites at the end. https://www.nhl.com/jets/tickets/premium-suite-lounge

bomberjet
Jul 17, 2023, 6:27 PM
a lot of unknown there....hopefully at least a couple of them become good NHL players.

Ya that's how a lot of NHL'ers tend to start out. Forward crop is looking good. The rest is speculatory. 2 good goalies from the CHL have potential.

trueviking
Jul 17, 2023, 8:20 PM
^ its always tough....every fan base thinks their next crop is going to be stars, but all of those guys are late first rounders (at best)....cross your fingers they buck the odds.

We are already calling Barlow a future captain, ha ha.

speaking of first rounders, I hope Heinola gets his chance this year....they are perilously close to making him a Roslovic.

bomberjet
Jul 17, 2023, 9:15 PM
haha got to believe!!

These aren't Bedard type players here. But seem to all be decent players that COULD one day be a future captain. I feel like we're back 10 years ago with the earlier crop of Jets prospects.

I also hope Heinola gets a chance. But the current lineup will still prevent his chance pending a major slough of injuries.

drew
Sep 11, 2023, 2:47 PM
Jeff Hamilton at the FP with a not so subtle dig at the Jets in today's article on the Banjo Bowl:

There’s a bigger point here. It just goes to show that while winning definitely helps, you get what you put in. The Bombers have treated their fans with such appreciation over the years and they’re reaping that loyalty. There’s another pro franchise in this city that could learn a few things.

This is my first Jets season without season tickets. In my household, everyone loves to watch the Bombers games live. Besides my son and myself, it's like pulling teeth to get everyone out to Jets games, and wayyy more $$.

esquire
Sep 11, 2023, 3:15 PM
Jeff Hamilton at the FP with a not so subtle dig at the Jets in today's article on the Banjo Bowl:

This is my first Jets season without season tickets. In my household, everyone loves to watch the Bombers games live. Besides my son and myself, it's like pulling teeth to get everyone out to Jets games, and wayyy more $$.

I love the Bombers and the Jets and all the home teams for that matter, but for sheer entertainment there can be no question that the Bombers are the kings of the hill right now. I took my family to the Banjo Bowl on Saturday and it was a pretty well perfect event as it is nearly every year. It's the single best annual sports event in Winnipeg. Great atmosphere as always, and a great performance by the home team capped it off. I could not ask for more. No question the Jets could take a lesson from the Bombers in terms of making fans feel appreciated.

Speaking of the Jets, is the work in the club area and north concourse of CLC finished yet? Has anyone seen it? I haven't been in there since the Sea Bears playoff game.

wags_in_the_peg
Sep 12, 2023, 5:43 PM
Lowry new captain, fantastic choice!!!

optimusREIM
Sep 12, 2023, 6:12 PM
Agreed. He is not the most productive player, but he always looks like one of the hardest working players on the team.

lotw_wpg
Sep 12, 2023, 6:57 PM
I love the Bombers and the Jets and all the home teams for that matter, but for sheer entertainment there can be no question that the Bombers are the kings of the hill right now. I took my family to the Banjo Bowl on Saturday and it was a pretty well perfect event as it is nearly every year. It's the single best annual sports event in Winnipeg. Great atmosphere as always, and a great performance by the home team capped it off. I could not ask for more. No question the Jets could take a lesson from the Bombers in terms of making fans feel appreciated.

Speaking of the Jets, is the work in the club area and north concourse of CLC finished yet? Has anyone seen it? I haven't been in there since the Sea Bears playoff game.

Yeah, it's supposedly done where the Bud Lounge is. They are doing a private event next week to show it off.

thebasketballgeek
Sep 12, 2023, 8:16 PM
Is Lowry the worst player in the league to be a captain currently? In terms of production I would say so.

Not to knock on him as he’s obv a good player, but a captain in today’s NHL is usually a PPG player or a top 10 d-man. Imo it should’ve been J-Mo.

thurmas
Sep 12, 2023, 9:21 PM
Last non star jet player captain i can remember was Troy Murray in early 90s

esquire
Sep 12, 2023, 10:09 PM
I guess that seals Scheifele's fate. Kind of disappointing how it's all ending with 55.

drew
Sep 12, 2023, 11:32 PM
^ I am not sure it's captain or bust with scheif..?

pspeid
Sep 23, 2023, 8:58 PM
Third jersey for 2023-24: RCAF tribute wear.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/jets-unveil-new-rcaf-tribute-threads

I'm very much behind this look. Classic and classy.

thurmas
Sep 23, 2023, 9:04 PM
Third jersey for 2023-24: RCAF tribute wear.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/winnipeg-jets/jets-unveil-new-rcaf-tribute-threads

I'm very much behind this look. Classic and classy.

Those and the wha alternates are my favorites would use those full time if I was Chipman

bomberjet
Sep 25, 2023, 1:50 PM
Was at the unveiling on Saturday. Almost bought one of the new jerseys. They look sharp. Held off on spending my sports dollars there as I'm in desperate need of new a new Bomber jersey.

wags_in_the_peg
Sep 25, 2023, 6:05 PM
details on new amenities at Canada Life Centre

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/true-north-unveils-13m-in-canada-life-centre-renovations-and-introduces-expanded-food-beverage-offerings

borkborkbork
Sep 26, 2023, 6:22 PM
"In addition, YWG Burger’s signature burger will be “The Social Burger” bringing the taste of a classic late-night Manitoba social buffet to every bite."

no thank you

thurmas
Oct 9, 2023, 7:43 PM
WOW huge news Jets resign both Scheif and Helly to 7 year $8.5 million extensions!

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

HERE TO STAY 😤

Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck have signed identical seven-year contract extensions with an average annual value of $8,500,000.

pspeid
Oct 9, 2023, 7:53 PM
I did not expect to see this happen:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jets-sign-connor-hellebuyck-mark-scheifele-to-identical-seven-year-extensions/

Being able to keep arguably their two best players says a lot about the team and their intention to stay competitive. It can't help but encourage the rest fo the team, and any potential future free agents.

thurmas
Oct 9, 2023, 7:57 PM
I like our forward group I would like to see the D get upgraded next summer but I like our long term prospects and we should remain competitive while colby and rutger grow

BlackDog204
Oct 9, 2023, 11:36 PM
This is a great day for the Jets organization.

Oilkountry
Oct 10, 2023, 5:15 AM
I dont think they are committed to each other for 7 years. I think 55 will still be moved and I think 37 just started to realize that long term big money was in Winnipeg. No other team was gonna sign him for that term at that price my feeling is they will both be shopped closer to the end of season

The Jabroni
Oct 10, 2023, 5:56 AM
I dont think they are committed to each other for 7 years. I think 55 will still be moved and I think 37 just started to realize that long term big money was in Winnipeg. No other team was gonna sign him for that term at that price my feeling is they will both be shopped closer to the end of season

They can't be traded for at least 4 years starting on the day of their new contract term in 2024.

Scheifele's contract may look bad before he is eligible to be traded which by that time, he could ask to be traded. With that said, I'm glad he's staying. Say what you want about him, but he's a Jet for life.

Hellebuyck meanwhile is pretty much one of the best goalies in the league right now, and looking at the price we signed him up for, I think it's a bargain. Also a Jet for life.

Overall, this news came out of nowhere, and up until the announcement, we were all dreading of the potential outcomes.

Props to Chevy for pulling somewhat of a miracle signing or signings rather. :cheers:

BlackDog204
Oct 10, 2023, 10:42 AM

lol..

I am inclined to believe that you don't know very much about the NHL or player contracts.

wags_in_the_peg
Oct 10, 2023, 1:01 PM
I was very pleased with both, love they have commitement to the team & city and will show others the commitment as well.

as others mentioned, can always trade them in 3-4 years to their pre-selected teams.

need to remember that Schiefele was underpaid the past few years, 40+ goal season

thurmas
Oct 10, 2023, 1:33 PM
it lets the team try and compete for a playoff spot every year so they can try and break even with some home playoff dates.

pspeid
Oct 10, 2023, 2:21 PM
Overall, this news came out of nowhere, and up until the announcement, we were all dreading of the potential outcomes.

Props to Chevy for pulling somewhat of a miracle signing or signings rather. :cheers:

I agree, it's great news for the team, the fan base and the city.

I've been speculating on what sort of offers the team was hearing for Scheif and Helle. We'll never know, of course, but my guess is that interested parties were hoping for a fire sale. Two top-tier players "desperate" to get out of "that town", that sort of narrative.

optimusREIM
Oct 12, 2023, 2:50 PM
Not sure if anyone watched last night, the Jets looked exactly like you’d expect. They played pretty well overall, but couldn’t solve Markstrom and made some costly mistakes. Hellebuyck could’ve been better too.

I know it’s just one game, but man can they not afford to go along beating themselves like they did last night. At the most crucial moment in the game, the puck is iced when there’s plenty of space to make a play. Don’t we have a bunch of decent defencemen waiting in the wings, that bottom pair looked a little weak last night

bomberjet
Oct 12, 2023, 2:58 PM
I caught first part of the game. It was sloppy for both sides. Calgary looked horrendous. I guess they turned it around. Game 1 of 82 for both sides.

Heinola's injured, Stanley is not great. Beyond that, Jets don't have anything else NHL ready on D. Declan Chisholm? Kyle Capobianco?

optimusREIM
Oct 12, 2023, 3:23 PM
I caught first part of the game. It was sloppy for both sides. Calgary looked horrendous. I guess they turned it around. Game 1 of 82 for both sides.

Heinola's injured, Stanley is not great. Beyond that, Jets don't have anything else NHL ready on D. Declan Chisholm? Kyle Capobianco?

I'd give Chisholm a chance.

wags_in_the_peg
Oct 12, 2023, 3:29 PM
Markstrom stole the show, Jets doubled them in shots. Schmidt was brutal and if Ehlers is hurt again from skating too hard into boards, boy will I be mad!

thebasketballgeek
Oct 12, 2023, 4:43 PM
On the bright side the first line looked great and the power play looked really good despite not scoring any goals. I think we’re a better team then last year and hopefully that reflects in the standings for the end of the year.

NewIreland
Oct 15, 2023, 3:12 AM
Less than 13k at the home opener? Winnipeg is in big trouble.

The Jabroni
Oct 15, 2023, 2:33 PM
Less than 13k at the home opener? Winnipeg is in big trouble.

Are we though? :rolleyes: