PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

Biff
Feb 10, 2021, 3:07 PM
The defensive lapses they have in and around the front of the net are an issue. They seem to loose focus on who to pick up. They also have an issue with clearing the zone. I don't think I yell at the tv more than when we have possession 2 ft from the blue line and consistently turn it over. Drives me crazy.

I thought it took a while for PLD to get going...understandably. I was impressed by his speed though. Once he gets settled in I think he will be great.

optimusREIM
Feb 10, 2021, 4:55 PM
^ You mean that cross-check? Yeah, Kevin Sawyer made the case regarding inconsistent penalty calls. I think Beaulieu's high stick on Gaudreau looked worse than it really was, but what can you do. You can't rely on the refs to overlook those things especially when quick decisions have to be made.

That is definitely what has made the Jets losses more painful, though. It's one thing to get it handed to you 6-2 or whatever, but quite another to play a solid 58 minutes and then lose in the last couple. It feels like that's happened a few times now with the Jets, with that game against the Oilers being the most notorious example.

Between that game and last night is two points we should have had at least, and maybe 4 if we go on to win the game. That would put us 2 points back of the Leafs for 1st, with a game in hand. Luckily there's still plenty of season left and games in hand on other teams.

bomberjet
Feb 10, 2021, 7:51 PM
This is Jets to a tee. Blown leads, bubble team.

The year they made the run they didnt blow these leads.

pspeid
Feb 13, 2021, 8:10 PM
Can anyone remember the last time P & M had no construction at 300 Main and the brown cladding still covered 360 Main? Just wondering how far back the CBC dug into their files for the "skyline" shot of Winnipeg for "Hockey Day on Canada" today.

esquire
Feb 14, 2021, 1:38 AM
^ Not uncommon for the sports networks... TSN and SN both use outdated skyline shots of Winnipeg. It's less obvious with the nighttime views, but very obvious with the daytime ones.

Incidentally, another game, another last-minute loss for the Jets. This team just can't seem to hang in there.

pspeid
Feb 14, 2021, 7:35 PM
Wow....getting SO tired of these last minute/second/fraction-of-a-second losses (and I hope the team is too).

esquire
Feb 18, 2021, 4:14 PM
All these late games are going to be the death of me... I feel exhausted after staying up to watch.

I miss the bubble playoffs when there were at least some early games... would it kill the league to do a few more 6 or 7 pm CT starts?!

bomberjet
Feb 18, 2021, 4:33 PM
I'm not sure why they have the late games like that. There's at least one game in Winnipeg with start time at 9pm. Just start normal time.

Although I think that's fairly normal for EDM games. 8pm mountain time start.

pspeid
Feb 22, 2021, 9:12 PM
Yeah I'm glad the Jets won in overtime last night, but seriously, why don't they just automatically spot their opponents a goal in the last minute of the game? They way we don't have to see yet another lead shot to hell with seconds left.

Yeah, I'm bitter.....so very, very tiring....

optimusREIM
Feb 22, 2021, 10:05 PM
Yeah I'm glad the Jets won in overtime last night, but seriously, why don't they just automatically spot their opponents a goal in the last minute of the game? They way we don't have to see yet another lead shot to hell with seconds left.

Yeah, I'm bitter.....so very, very tiring....

If they track the stat of most goals given up in the last two minutes of a game, the jets would certainly be near the top.

bomberjet
Feb 22, 2021, 10:49 PM
Specific to yesterday. I do not understand why Lowry keep leaving Pettersson open. They were giving them the shot unchallenged. Take that away at let them try something else.

Ando
Feb 25, 2021, 4:27 PM
The two longest serving NHL coaches are Jon Cooper of Tampa Bay, in his ninth season, and Paul Maurice, in his 8th season. In his 8 seasons, Cooper has made the Stanley Cup finals twice, and won once. He made it to the conference finals two other times. In 7 seasons, Maurice made it to the conference finals once and lost, and missed the playoffs three times.
One of these coaches has earned his coaching longevity.

optimusREIM
Feb 25, 2021, 4:46 PM
The two longest serving NHL coaches are Jon Cooper of Tampa Bay, in his ninth season, and Paul Maurice, in his 8th season. In his 8 seasons, Cooper has made the Stanley Cup finals twice, and won once. He made it to the conference finals two other times. In 7 seasons, Maurice made it to the conference finals once and lost, and missed the playoffs three times.
One of these coaches has earned his coaching longevity.

I think that due to the limitations of working in a market like Winnipeg, we've done alright. I don't think you can compare Maurice and Cooper really since they're managing two totally different situations. Could we be doing better? Maybe, but it isn't clear that Maurice hasn't earned longevity. Maurice has also had the privilege of coaching through a full rebuild and a quasi-rebuild over the past two seasons. Amazingly, the team still made the playoffs the past 3 seasons. It's arguably more shocking that the team has actually been to the post-season that many times given their roster limitations. You would have expected the team to miss the playoffs more times than not.

Your comparison is this:

"Here's this guy who's coached the most talented roster around for the past 8 seasons and won a cup and done this that and the other" vs "Here's a guy who didn't do those things with a far inferior roster" clearly coach number 2 is terrible and doesn't deserve his longevity as a coach.

Apples to oranges.

Andy6
Feb 25, 2021, 6:04 PM
I think that due to the limitations of working in a market like Winnipeg, we've done alright. I don't think you can compare Maurice and Cooper really since they're managing two totally different situations. Could we be doing better? Maybe, but it isn't clear that Maurice hasn't earned longevity. Maurice has also had the privilege of coaching through a full rebuild and a quasi-rebuild over the past two seasons. Amazingly, the team still made the playoffs the past 3 seasons. It's arguably more shocking that the team has actually been to the post-season that many times given their roster limitations. You would have expected the team to miss the playoffs more times than not.

Your comparison is this:

"Here's this guy who's coached the most talented roster around for the past 8 seasons and won a cup and done this that and the other" vs "Here's a guy who didn't do those things with a far inferior roster" clearly coach number 2 is terrible and doesn't deserve his longevity as a coach.

Apples to oranges.

I have no doubt that if the Jets had only followed other teams in having a revolving-door coaching staff they would have won at least 6 Stanley Cups over that period.

Coming into the season, the Jets had the best record of any Canadian team since their return in 2011. I think that's not too bad ... in 2010 we'd all have been saying we'd be happy with a perennial loser if only there could be a team again.

Ando
Feb 25, 2021, 7:03 PM

Your comparison is this:

Apples to oranges.
Actually, that isn’t my comparison at all, not sure where you got that. Winnipeg has had very talented rosters and has severely underperformed. It isn’t apples to oranges or any other fruit you might have on hand. Management and coaching plus talent wins. You have to have the whole package. Maurice has been given way more than enough time. Revolving door is never a good sign but neither is a door sealed shut.

Ando
Feb 26, 2021, 6:11 PM
To clarify, I’m not suggesting they get rid of Maurice right now, that would be silly at this point in the season. I do think they should have ditched him a few years ago and the team would have had more success, without all the silly Laine, Wheeler nonsense.

Good win last night. Dubois is looking increasingly good. Even though Maurice in his weird way has him playing on the wing - after saying what the team really needed was a solid two way centre ...

esquire
Feb 26, 2021, 7:52 PM
^ Once Dubois shakes off the rust he'll move back to centre. Although for a rusty guy he has looked damn good, apart from that first game where maybe he came back too soon judging by the light TOI he had.

I don't know though, the way this team is coming together nicely I am starting to get that good mojo feeling again that I haven't really had since 2017-18... Maurice has the team rolling nicely now.

pspeid
Feb 26, 2021, 7:58 PM
I don't know though, the way this team is coming together nicely I am starting to get that good mojo feeling again that I haven't really had since 2017-18... Maurice has the team rolling nicely now.

Once they move the puck out of their zone the Jets look amazing to me. I'm still concerned about how much trouble they have getting the puck past their blue line, but yes, they can be exciting to watch.

bomberjet
Feb 26, 2021, 8:05 PM
Maurice thinks Beaulieu is playing well.

I could go into all sorts of talk about the roster and usage. Jets have drafted well and like every team in the league they are bound to the salary cap. Letting good players leave is not a unique situation to the Jets. And again lends to their good drafting.

Laine one really sucks but IMO we got the better end of it long term. Dubois is a legit 1C and he needs to play C to realize his full potential. Playing on the wing now is limiting him.

Jets got stung in 2018 by Marc Andre Fleury. IMO they'd be cup champs and we'd all be in lala land.

We're now in Jets 2.1 territory. Coaching staff and management have been in place for basically a decade. PoMo 7 years. If it's not working, get him out.

BlackDog204
Mar 6, 2021, 8:14 PM
Nice to see the Jets performing well in the Canadian Division. 15-7-1, and they play the Habs again tonight. Hope they can cement their 2nd place status in the Division. The goaltending has been the strength of the team. If Heinola and Samberg perform well, the Jets can be a powerhouse for years to come.

pspeid
Mar 10, 2021, 3:07 PM
From SI Hockey News about Laine:

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/what-is-going-on-with-patrik-laine?fbclid=IwAR3FK9ta9GnzVg80jNqA6oPaQ3oWHFSp9txEIzhhDU8NJl40paJvqe3UWdg

bomberjet
Mar 10, 2021, 5:10 PM
It's like nobody pays attention to Winnipeg. He's been doing that since the start.

Dubois isn't doing any better right now.

Ando
Mar 13, 2021, 8:18 PM
Hands up if you are tired of the refrain that the Jets give up too many shots and high danger scoring chances. That is quickly followed by the Jets saying they are aware of it and they are taking steps to do something about it. Then it happens again the next night and the next night. This has literally been going on for years. Other teams - and dare I say other coaches - seem to be able to figure out how to limit these chances. BTW, Scheiflie’s line was slow and outclassed by Toronto last game. Wheeler spent most of his time falling down. Dubois line looked great. Wheeler and Statsny (much as I like him) should not be on the first line. But this gets back again to Maurice’s fascination with old hockey players. End of today’s rant.

rrskylar
Mar 14, 2021, 5:36 PM
From SI Hockey News about Laine:

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/what-is-going-on-with-patrik-laine?fbclid=IwAR3FK9ta9GnzVg80jNqA6oPaQ3oWHFSp9txEIzhhDU8NJl40paJvqe3UWdg

One trick pony Laine who also happens to be a lazy player, glad we got rid of him!

Ando
Mar 14, 2021, 9:27 PM
Hands up if you are tired of the refrain that the Jets give up too many shots and high danger scoring chances. That is quickly followed by the Jets saying they are aware of it and they are taking steps to do something about it. Then it happens again the next night and the next night. This has literally been going on for years. Other teams - and dare I say other coaches - seem to be able to figure out how to limit these chances. BTW, Scheiflie’s line was slow and outclassed by Toronto last game. Wheeler spent most of his time falling down. Dubois line looked great. Wheeler and Statsny (much as I like him) should not be on the first line. But this gets back again to Maurice’s fascination with old hockey players. End of today’s rant.
I’m glad to see Paul Maurice has been reading my posts. Great win last night, aided by clamping down on high danger scoring chances. Now let’s see if it lasts.

optimusREIM
Mar 14, 2021, 11:41 PM
I’m glad to see Paul Maurice has been reading my posts. Great win last night, aided by clamping down on high danger scoring chances. Now let’s see if it lasts.

Wouldn't totally count it out. However, teams often play a little more tightly on defence when the backup is in.

I think the jets could easily play better defensive hockey but it would really help if we had one other bona fide top 4 dman

rkspec
Mar 16, 2021, 2:33 PM
Cant wait for the day that TSN updates their shots of Winnipeg that they use for their live Jets games. I mean Artist doesnt even have the re-clad done yet!

optimusREIM
Mar 16, 2021, 2:43 PM
Cant wait for the day that TSN updates their shots of Winnipeg that they use for their live Jets games. I mean Artist doesnt even have the re-clad done yet!

There was a game recently where 300 main was half finished. But yeah, would be nice if they updated all the shots

pspeid
Mar 18, 2021, 3:25 PM
3/18/2021-Jets beat MTL in overtime after getting scored on with 85 seconds left in the game.

Didn't I write this comment already??

bomberjet
Mar 18, 2021, 3:27 PM
Morrissey is exposed really badly since Buff and Trouba left. He needs someone to play with. Analytics, normal stats and eye test all prove it.

optimusREIM
Mar 18, 2021, 3:32 PM
Morrissey is exposed really badly since Buff and Trouba left. He needs someone to play with. Analytics, normal stats and eye test all prove it.

Honestly.

Arts
Mar 19, 2021, 7:50 PM

It's worse than him just not being paired well and not able to pull more than his fair share. He is playing like he's emotionally checked out and that was not the way he's played before - he's always played intelligently but lately he's playing dumb. I hope he gets out of his slump soon, because we all know how good he is.

bomberjet
Mar 19, 2021, 9:01 PM
It just seems like we need a 1D and then everyone get's bumped down to a role that is more suitable.

esquire
Mar 19, 2021, 9:49 PM
It just seems like we need a 1D and then everyone get's bumped down to a role that is more suitable.

Tall order. But yes, it certainly would improve the situation. In some respects we're still dealing with the ripple effects of Byfuglien's sudden and unexpected departure.

I agree with the sentiment here regarding Morrissey. The question is, is it a slump or is this who he really is?

bomberjet
Mar 19, 2021, 9:58 PM
Tall order for sure. The analytics folks have been harping about his play for the last couple years. Tough to say what's up. He has flashes, but seems to get caught out of position at the worst times.

Ekholm and Savard seem to be the most available right now. Maybe Chevy can get something worked out that's off the radar. Also seems like Heinola will be making his debut at some point soon. Was moved up to the taxi squad.

On another note. Harkins and Niku have been languishing in the press box for a long time now. Probably not the best for both of them.

Ando
Mar 22, 2021, 2:31 AM
Wow, the Jets “top” line is not working. They are too slow to deal with lines like the Oiler’s top two lines. Based on recent performances, I would give Appleton a shot at playing with Scheifle and Connor, have Statsny with Dubois and Ehlers, and move Wheeler down to the third line with Lowry and Copp. And inject some more speed into the fourth line by bringing in Harkins.
Bring in Heinola for almost anyone on D except for Pionk and Forbert. Morrissey is not playing well. He has a really tired look on his face, I don’t think it matters who he is playing with. Demelo is way down from what he was last season. Poolman is kind of meh, and he doesn’t use his size to his advantage.
Of course, none of this will happen because Maurice has his loyalties to take priority.

Jammon
Mar 22, 2021, 5:18 PM
Wow, the Jets “top” line is not working. They are too slow to deal with lines like the Oiler’s top two lines. Based on recent performances, I would give Appleton a shot at playing with Scheifle and Connor, have Statsny with Dubois and Ehlers, and move Wheeler down to the third line with Lowry and Copp. And inject some more speed into the fourth line by bringing in Harkins.
Bring in Heinola for almost anyone on D except for Pionk and Forbert. Morrissey is not playing well. He has a really tired look on his face, I don’t think it matters who he is playing with. Demelo is way down from what he was last season. Poolman is kind of meh, and he doesn’t use his size to his advantage.
Of course, none of this will happen because Maurice has his loyalties to take priority.

I agree. I'd bring up a few of the Moose. Give them a chance again. Maybe Heinola, Samberg, Perfetti and Vesalainen. Tinker with the squad a bit and make the veterans work for their positions.

McDavid consistently makes Schief look like a rag. Wheeler and Scheif are constantly losing their markers in the defensive zone. I agree- time for a shakeup. My one major criticism of PoMo is his over-reliance on his veterans. Drives me insane.

bomberjet
Mar 22, 2021, 7:34 PM
The forwards are fine. Maybe slot on harkins instead of Lewis or Thompson.

McDavid makes everyone look like a rag doll because hes a sick hockey player. #1 in the world. Theres no debate.

Scheifele game is not speed. And with two 30 something vets, that line is slow. So that brings it back to connor on the top line under Paul Maurice. Connor defensive game is non existent. Would be nice to get Copp a shot.

PoMo went with a 3 line system when Wheeler was hurt. For like 1 game. It will never happen under his reign.

Defense we better see heinola in as hes on the taxi squad. Otherwise he should go back to the moose.

For an ekholm trade, it's likely be samberg, vesalianien and 1st rd pick. That's there asking price. David savard trade is likely samberg, a lesser prospect and 1st. Kind of steep but that's what it is.

optimusREIM
Mar 22, 2021, 7:50 PM

McDavid makes everyone look like a rag doll because hes a sick hockey player. #1 in the world. Theres no debate.

Scheifele game is not speed. And with two 30 something vets, that line is slow. So that brings it back to connor on the top line under Paul Maurice. Connor defensive game is non existent. Would be nice to get Copp a shot.

PoMo went with a 3 line system when Wheeler was hurt. For like 1 game. It will never happen under his reign.

Defense we better see heinola in as hes on the taxi squad. Otherwise he should go back to the moose.

For an ekholm trade, it's likely be samberg, vesalianien and 1st rd pick. That's there asking price. David savard trade is likely samberg, a lesser prospect and 1st. Kind of steep but that's what it is.

If that's the cost, then I'll gladly leave it. We need guys here fore the long haul. I doubt that Ekholm would stay for longer than his current deal.

Ando
Mar 23, 2021, 5:07 PM

If that is the case, I would definitely pass on the Ekholm trade. We don't need another one of Chevy's short term deals that go nowhere. I'd rather ride this season out and if it has to be no more than another rebuilding year, so be it. I still believe though that a coaching change would be beneficial and would get much more out of a talented group of players.

Jammon
Mar 23, 2021, 6:48 PM

Yeah, I'm not feeling the Ekholm deal. I'd personally like to see someone who might end up staying, like a Hamonic who likely won't make the playoffs with Vancouver.

With respect to McDavid, you don't necessarily need speed to shut him down. Toronto did an amazing job shutting that line down by not allowing them any time to establish themselves in the offensive zone. In all the times I've watched Schief marking McDavid, it's not his speed that burns him, it's lost position because he's not paying attention. In all of those TO games that they walloped the Oilers it was because they all were aware of where McDavid and Draisaitl were at all times and never allowed them the room to establish their game.

Ando
Mar 30, 2021, 5:45 PM
I really liked the new Schiefle line last night - looks deadly. I didn’t mind the new Dubois line either. I’m really warming to Dubois, he plays with an edge. The Jets were missing a Tchachuk-style player to mess up the other team.
Also, did anyone ever think that the Jets big first round draft choice in 2016 would turn out to be Logan Stanley, and not Laine?

bomberjet
Mar 30, 2021, 5:58 PM
Time will tell how those lines hold-up. It's basically Ehlers driving the offence at this point.

Although Dubois wasn't technically the Jets 2016 draft pick. He was one sot behind Laine that year. Stanley is turning out fairly well it seems. He's not Buff. But at 6' 7", he can toss anyone around. Tkachuk was trying to run amock last night. And when he turned around to see Stanley in there, he bailed like the little shithead he is.

Ando
Mar 30, 2021, 7:15 PM
Time will tell how those lines hold-up. It's basically Ehlers driving the offence at this point.

Although Dubois wasn't technically the Jets 2016 draft pick. He was one sot behind Laine that year. Stanley is turning out fairly well it seems. He's not Buff. But at 6' 7", he can toss anyone around. Tkachuk was trying to run amock last night. And when he turned around to see Stanley in there, he bailed like the little shithead he is.
“... basically Ehlers ...”. Connor? “He’s not Buff.” True, he doesn’t have a penchant for dumb penalties and holding the team hostage. My point was it would be great irony if Stanley became the real blue chip first rounder instead of Laine. Laine is in the process of flaming out in Columbus.

Jammon
Mar 30, 2021, 7:18 PM
“... basically Ehlers ...”. Connor? “He’s not Buff.” True, he doesn’t have a penchant for dumb penalties and holding the team hostage. My point was it would be great irony if Stanley became the real blue chip first rounder instead of Laine. Laine is in the process of flaming out in Columbus.

Does anyone actually feel any sympathy for Laine? I sure don't. He whined and complained about being here and not getting a top 3 role and he went over to a team with one of the toughest coaches in the league. He's learning the hard way about how to become a team player. I am happy for Roslovic though. He seems to be doing well there. I liked him as a player, but he was just caught in a team with so much depth talent that he never really got his chance.

bomberjet
Mar 30, 2021, 7:50 PM

Connor scoring of course. As of late though, Ehlers is playing best hockey of his career. If PoMo would give Ehlers more time on the top PP unit, he'd have even better offensive numbers. I think he ahs the last few games. Switched it up a bit from his almost slave like mentality to the traditional #1 unit.

In regards to Buff, I just meant size. Winnipeg lacks physicality.

Does anyone actually feel any sympathy for Laine? I sure don't. He whined and complained about being here and not getting a top 3 role and he went over to a team with one of the toughest coaches in the league. He's learning the hard way about how to become a team player. I am happy for Roslovic though. He seems to be doing well there. I liked him as a player, but he was just caught in a team with so much depth talent that he never really got his chance.

It almost feels like Laine and his agent were bluffing. And Chevy called that bluff.

Ando
Mar 31, 2021, 5:21 PM
Yeah, Laine is a one trick pony that refuses to change. The downside of that trade is turning out to be the loss of Roslovic. He is blossoming and getting first line and PP time. Again, I think this demonstrates Maurice’s weakness in not giving younger guys deserved opportunities. Agree that Ehlers should be on the first PP unit, it’s ridiculous that he isn’t, another strange Maurice thing.

Biff
Mar 31, 2021, 5:47 PM
Agree that Ehlers should be on the first PP unit, it’s ridiculous that he isn’t, another strange Maurice thing.

I love Ehlers, but I like having a 2nd unit that is potent.

I think Maurice's argument against his critics would be that currently the Jets are 4th in the league for Power Play - 26.2% (https://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayPct). Not sure what more you want.

drew
Mar 31, 2021, 6:03 PM
Yeah, Laine is a one trick pony that refuses to change. The downside of that trade is turning out to be the loss of Roslovic. He is blossoming and getting first line and PP time. Again, I think this demonstrates Maurice’s weakness in not giving younger guys deserved opportunities. Agree that Ehlers should be on the first PP unit, it’s ridiculous that he isn’t, another strange Maurice thing.

Who does Roslovic replace in our line up?

He isn't a third or fourth liner. And on the Jets, he would need to stay down the line up and wait for injuries.

Basically, he needed to get traded to a shittier team. And he was. Good for him. Meh, from the Jet's standpoint.

bomberjet
Mar 31, 2021, 7:41 PM
Haven't they switched up the PP more recently? There's at least been a bit of variation. The Jets were 15th ranked PP and 16th ranked PK ~2 weeks ago. Previously when they were slumping it was still the top PP for 1 - 1.5 mins.

Either way, Jets are fighting for tops in the div. So I'm happy with that. There a 2 week stretch from mid-late April where Jets play Taranna 4 times and Edmonton thrice. That stretch will determine the rankings.

esquire
Apr 1, 2021, 2:36 PM
Who does Roslovic replace in our line up?

He isn't a third or fourth liner. And on the Jets, he would need to stay down the line up and wait for injuries.

Basically, he needed to get traded to a shittier team. And he was. Good for him. Meh, from the Jet's standpoint.

Agreed. On a team with several better centres, he was never really going to be able to reach his potential here. I can appreciate why he wanted out, and from the Jets' perspective he was expendable.

As for Laine, he can still get back on track. Although it probably won't be in Columbus playing under Tortorella. He'd need to go somewhere else.... I could see him following in the footsteps of his Finnish compatriot and becoming a cornerstone piece of a Ducks rebuild, for example.

Ando
Apr 1, 2021, 10:29 PM
I love Ehlers, but I like having a 2nd unit that is potent.

I think Maurice's argument against his critics would be that currently the Jets are 4th in the league for Power Play - 26.2% (https://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/team/_/stat/special-teams/sort/powerPlayPct). Not sure what more you want.
3rd best?

Ando
Apr 1, 2021, 10:36 PM
Agreed. On a team with several better centres, he was never really going to be able to reach his potential here. I can appreciate why he wanted out, and from the Jets' perspective he was expendable.

As for Laine, he can still get back on track. Although it probably won't be in Columbus playing under Tortorella. He'd need to go somewhere else.... I could see him following in the footsteps of his Finnish compatriot and becoming a cornerstone piece of a Ducks rebuild, for example.
Well, for one, I think Roslovic could have replaced people like Wheeler and/or Statsny in the top six. I’m already on the record that I would bump up Appleton to replace Wheeler in the top six. My overall point is that Maurice waits too long to bump up up and coming players. Roslovic is a case in point. I don’t know if you have seen him play but he’s killing it in Columbus. Laine is no Selanne if that’s what you are implying.

esquire
Apr 2, 2021, 2:22 PM
^ I don't consider Laine to be on the same level as Selanne but I think he could reach his potential if he were in a better environment than the one he's playing in now. He could potentially be a key part of a franchise rebuild. He's just entering the prime of his career so he has a lot of good years left in him.

As for Roslovic, I can see your point but I don't think that a guy of his calibre will be that hard to find when Wheeler's wheels fall off, so to speak. He didn't strike me as an irreplaceable part of the machine the way that, say, Ehlers is.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 3:39 PM
Whatever happened to the NHL’s crackdown on headshots? Tkachuk elbows Wheeler in the head - no penalty and Wheeler misses 6 games. Now Lowry is out with a concussion and just a minor penalty on the play. No discussion of whether the league is even reviewing these things.

bomberjet
Apr 23, 2021, 4:04 PM
Joe Thornton also caught Perrault last night blindside headshot nowhere near the puck. He got 2 minutes. I doubt we'll see any other discipline. Pathetic.

Either do something or go back to the Scott Stevens days already.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 4:21 PM
I don’t get the Jamie Benn thing. Stanley was doing fine, building confidence, had a good defensive record, and provided a physical presence the Jets need. He was a very pleasant surprise. I’m afraid I see this as, once again, Maurice has some weird thing about old guys.

esquire
Apr 23, 2021, 4:24 PM
I don’t get the Jamie Benn thing. Stanley was doing fine, building confidence, had a good defensive record, and provided a physical presence the Jets need. He was a very pleasant surprise. I’m afraid I see this as, once again, Maurice has some weird thing about old guys.

If only it were Jamie Benn!

JHikka
Apr 23, 2021, 4:27 PM
Stanley was doing fine,

Debatable.

esquire
Apr 23, 2021, 4:30 PM
Debatable.

The ceiling is higher with Stanley. The knock on Maurice is that he is relying on somewhat mediocre vets instead of giving the young guys a chance to grow and develop their game.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 4:35 PM
If only it were Jamie Benn!
Oops! Yeah, I wish.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 4:36 PM
Debatable.
I guess anything is debatable.

optimusREIM
Apr 23, 2021, 4:41 PM
The ceiling is higher with Stanley. The knock on Maurice is that he is relying on somewhat mediocre vets instead of giving the young guys a chance to grow and develop their game.

I guess it's a trade off though, because there's a certain amount of risk of inconsistency when you give young guys a long leash to mature and make mistakes etc. If the Jets were in a full on rebuild that would be a no-brainer but since we're fighting for top spot in the North maybe you wanna be a little more conservative. Ideally you'd have samberg and heinola in too and really get them up to speed on the NHL game, but I guess Maurice figures the best bet for winning now is to rely on his vets.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 4:50 PM
I guess it's a trade off though, because there's a certain amount of risk of inconsistency when you give young guys a long leash to mature and make mistakes etc. If the Jets were in a full on rebuild that would be a no-brainer but since we're fighting for top spot in the North maybe you wanna be a little more conservative. Ideally you'd have samberg and heinola in too and really get them up to speed on the NHL game, but I guess Maurice figures the best bet for winning now is to rely on his vets.
I have no doubt that Maurice has somehow rationalized it in his mind, as you have just done. I just don’t buy it. Stanley played a lot of games and had a good defensive record on a third pairing. He also played with an edge and stepped in to protect other players, which is going to become even more important in the playoffs. I would have taken off Demelo before him, his season has been no hell. It’s just another example of Maurice’s old guy approach which in my view isn’t working and hasn’t worked. In the context of actually winning anything that is.

rrskylar
Apr 23, 2021, 6:07 PM

Jets were winning with Stanley in the lineup and he wasn't the problem, Maurice showing what a hack he really is inserting Benn who flat out sucks.

There was a reason Benn was the 7th non playing D man on a lousy Canucks D corps.

Jets going nowhere fast when they can't beat the Oilers or Leafs!

JHikka
Apr 23, 2021, 6:08 PM

I don't actually think the ceiling on Stanley is all that high if i'm being honest. Might round out into a fine middle pairing defenseman but aside from that he's not a world-beater and probably not better or worse than Benn at filling gaps. If Winnipeg are looking at being competitive in the playoffs they're definitely better off with Benn's grit, so it's better to get him fit into the lineup now in time for playoffs.

esquire
Apr 23, 2021, 6:17 PM
^ A solid middle pairing defenceman is better than what Benn provides right now. Benn's natural habitat for the duration of his stay in Winnipeg will likely be on the healthy scratch list. But I take your point, there is certainly value to having someone around with that level of experience heading into the playoffs.

JHikka
Apr 23, 2021, 6:20 PM
^ A solid middle pairing defenceman is better than what Benn provides right now.
What i'm saying is that that's Stanley's absolute ceiling in the future. Today he's replacement level, bubble roster, and i'm not super high on his development beyond that.

Benn's natural habitat for the duration of his stay in Winnipeg will likely be on the healthy scratch list. But I take your point, there is certainly value to having someone around with that level of experience heading into the playoffs.

As we all know the game changes entirely once the playoffs start. A player like Benn is more useful then than during the regular season.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 6:51 PM
What i'm saying is that that's Stanley's absolute ceiling in the future. Today he's replacement level, bubble roster, and i'm not super high on his development beyond that.

As we all know the game changes entirely once the playoffs start. A player like Benn is more useful then than during the regular season.
I don’t think that anyone can predict what Stanley’s upside will be, but his trajectory this year has been impressive as a third pairing defenceman. No one is suggesting putting him on the second or third pairing right now. The fact is he was developing nicely and doing fine. He’s young. Benn certainly isn’t an upgrade and Stanley has toughness which can be valuable in the playoffs. There is plenty of grit in the Jets lineup already with the collection of oldsters that Maurice loves. You may not be aware of the whole Jets picture. Maurice has been the coach for years and has a rep for not bringing younger players into the lineup readily, with some obvious exceptions.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 7:04 PM
Joe Thornton also caught Perrault last night blindside headshot nowhere near the puck. He got 2 minutes. I doubt we'll see any other discipline. Pathetic.

Either do something or go back to the Scott Stevens days already.
So Thornton has apparently been fined $3000 by the NHL. I am sure that will be a deterrent.

Ando
Apr 23, 2021, 7:06 PM
Jets were winning with Stanley in the lineup and he wasn't the problem, Maurice showing what a hack he really is inserting Benn who flat out sucks.

There was a reason Benn was the 7th non playing D man on a lousy Canucks D corps.

You aren’t wrong about the Leafs and the Oilers having the Jets number, in particular Edmonton. The Jets just don’t have answer for McDavid. Could be the Gretzky years all over again. I wish it weren’t so.

esquire
Apr 23, 2021, 7:13 PM
You aren’t wrong about the Leafs and the Oilers having the Jets number, in particular Edmonton. The Jets just don’t have answer for McDavid. Could be the Gretzky years all over again. I wish it weren’t so.

It`s odd, the Jets can put up a fight against the Leafs and beat them, but they look like helpless little puppies against Edmonton. Meanwhile the Habs, who the Jets have throttled several times this season, have dominated the Oilers. Go figure.

It really does feel like the 80s all over again.

Biff
Apr 23, 2021, 7:24 PM

Jammon
Apr 23, 2021, 8:23 PM
It`s odd, the Jets can put up a fight against the Leafs and beat them, but they look like helpless little puppies against Edmonton. Meanwhile the Habs, who the Jets have throttled several times this season, have dominated the Oilers. Go figure.

Yep. I suspect the Jets will be out in the first round. The Jets, as a team, are in a precarious position. They have a high salary cap and lots of talent but very little on defense. At some point though, this team needs to move from competitive to contenders again or you regress. Chevy may look at solidifying the defense in the offseason which I would be ok with provided he doesn't strip away a lot of the current talent. Stastny and Perreault's contracts are both up and they should be due for a reduction in salary- in particular Stastny if he decides to test the market or the Jets let him walk.

Either way, I am expecting a first round exit but would be ecstatic for any series they win this year with the hope that Chevy starts leaning on PoMo to start playing his young talent. I have read in so many forums and even discussed on the NHL channel on satellite- "why doesn't he play Heinola more often??"

bomberjet
Apr 23, 2021, 8:39 PM
So Thornton has apparently been fined $3000 by the NHL. I am sure that will be a deterrent.

The fines are laughable. I think the absolute max is $5k. Some guy making $10 mil getting fined $5k makes zero difference. I think Thornton is making like $1 mil. $3k is really nothing.

DavefromSt.Vital
Apr 23, 2021, 8:58 PM
Unrelated trivia question - I see the online Leafs schedule has an option to book a hotel stay with Marriott for away games (not that anyone is doing that this year).

Does anyone know if they have switched from staying at the Inn at the Forks to the Delta?

optimusREIM
Apr 24, 2021, 2:39 AM

But Maurice said the reason they took Stanley out isn't because he was bad, they took him out to see how Benn looked in action.

Andy6
Apr 24, 2021, 3:32 AM
I have no doubt that Maurice has somehow rationalized it in his mind, as you have just done. I just don’t buy it. Stanley played a lot of games and had a good defensive record on a third pairing. He also played with an edge and stepped in to protect other players, which is going to become even more important in the playoffs. I would have taken off Demelo before him, his season has been no hell. It’s just another example of Maurice’s old guy approach which in my view isn’t working and hasn’t worked. In the context of actually winning anything that is.

I recently read that the Jets are the 4th best team in the NHL over the past 4 seasons and the #1 team in the western conference in that period. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

esquire
Apr 24, 2021, 3:37 PM
But Maurice said the reason they took Stanley out isn't because he was bad, they took him out to see how Benn looked in action.

Stanley's back in tonight, Benn is out.

I recently read that the Jets are the 4th best team in the NHL over the past 4 seasons and the #1 team in the western conference in that period. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

I have to admit that after the initial excitement of the Jets coming back settled down, I more or less ignored them figuring that they would be relegated to perennial also-ran status. But Cheveldayoff has managed to build a winning team with one arm pretty well tied behind his back relative to his GM counterparts. It's an impressive accomplishment. Needless to say I pay attention now.

DLLB
Apr 25, 2021, 1:02 AM

I agree. It feels just like the 80's and Gretzky all over again, just the name and number have changed. Another decade of that BS. Frustrating as HELL :hell:

DLLB
Apr 25, 2021, 1:41 AM

Nothing will change till they get rid of Maurice! :shrug:

JHikka
Apr 25, 2021, 7:18 AM

I have a hard time believing that Winnipeg can find a coach that can get more out of a lineup than Maurice. Same goes for the GM.

rrskylar
Apr 25, 2021, 4:02 PM
I have a hard time believing that Winnipeg can find a coach that can get more out of a lineup than Maurice. Same goes for the GM.

Don't think so, sometimes longevity has more weight than ability which seems to be true in Maurice's case and career!

JHikka
Apr 25, 2021, 5:32 PM
Bet. Things will only get more difficult post-Maurice & Cheveldayoff.

rrskylar
Apr 25, 2021, 6:40 PM

Don't think Chevy is going anywhere but I'd switch out Maurice with Moose HC Vincent in a heartbeat!

esquire
Apr 25, 2021, 9:00 PM

I'm sure a few people in Raleigh must have said that when Maurice was fired there...

I haven't really been a big proponent of firing Maurice but he does seem to have hit a ceiling. At a certain point it probably makes sense to move on.

bomberjet
Apr 26, 2021, 4:26 PM
Nikolaj Ehlers out for the rest of reg season at least.. Bad news for Winnipeg.

Jammon
Apr 26, 2021, 5:08 PM
I'm sure a few people in Raleigh must have said that when Maurice was fired there...

I haven't really been a big proponent of firing Maurice but he does seem to have hit a ceiling. At a certain point it probably makes sense to move on.

It's funny- some people think he has done more than what could be expected from this team, and I don't think he has elevated them enough. I look at what a guy like Trotz has done in New York- he went in with a pretty average squad and elevated them way above their individual talents. I really like PoMo but I don't think he and the coaching team are capable of leading this team to a cup final. For me, it will all depend on what happens in the playoffs. If this team is out in the first round, then I think we really need to move on. That would make it 3 years in a row this team out in the first round.

CoryB
Apr 26, 2021, 5:13 PM

I think the source of the rot in the Jets organization is Chipman. He is loyal to Chevy who is in turn loyal to Maurice. Their love of older players is starting to be really concerning. Also the mismanagement of the cap which tilted the balance heavily towards forwards at the expense of the defense side on the lineup.

Since Chipman is likely around for the long term, Jets fans better get content on getting no where near the cup finals.

Ando
Apr 26, 2021, 5:41 PM
I’m not sure what team you have been following but it can’t be the Jets. I’m really looking forward to Jordan Benn and Paul Maurice leading us to Stanley Cup glory this year.

Ando
Apr 26, 2021, 5:44 PM
I don’t know if you follow sports but there are these things called first, second and third-best record. They appear above fourth best. There is also this thing called winning which is even higher. And the trajectory is downward since 2018.

Coldrsx
Apr 26, 2021, 5:45 PM
My bet is that the Jets come out really, really hard tonight and sneak out a win... but I am hoping for another 80s flashback and a 6-2 W for us:)

Ando
Apr 26, 2021, 5:55 PM

He was fired twice by Carolina I believe, and once by Toronto. My assessment of him is largely based on the amount of talent he has had to work with over the years, which is considerable to say the least. That’s why I don’t blame Chevy (except for the fact he hasn’t fired Maurice yet). Chevy has managed to set him up nicely with a pretty good pipeline of young talent. I’m thinking though that Maurice may have finally jumped the shark with the Schiefle benching. There’s just something about it that reeks of desperation and I think it will backfire on him.

bomberjet
Apr 26, 2021, 5:57 PM
I firmly believe the Jets are now just getting by on their talent. They don't do anything special in terms of systems. They run basic NHL systems like most other teams.

Forwards can score goals. Defense is not good. Thankfully we have a Vezina quality goaltender that saves the day. I guess they coach some of this stuff.

Ando
Apr 26, 2021, 5:58 PM
Nikolaj Ehlers out for the rest of reg season at least.. Bad news for Winnipeg.
We are royally effed my friends. Unless Jordan Benn really is that good.

CoryB
Apr 26, 2021, 6:55 PM
I’m thinking though that Maurice may have finally jumped the shark with the Schiefle benching.

If benching Scheifele wasn't the "wake up call" having him centering the "third line" tonight with Copp and Appleton should definitely make people take notice.

Jammon
Apr 26, 2021, 8:05 PM
If benching Scheifele wasn't the "wake up call" having him centering the "third line" tonight with Copp and Appleton should definitely make people take notice.

Agreed. I feel like they haven't been playing to their potential and often are relying on their talent to get them back into games or keep them in games. But there are times I watch them and think "man, are they a lazy team at times." We've definitely seen that with PLD who has played really well the last couple of games and made himself a presence with his size and skill.

bomberjet
Apr 26, 2021, 8:16 PM
They started throwing some hits last game and it was a different game after that. PLD, Appleton, Copp a bit. Even if they arent huge hits. They just get the other team thinking a bit. Instead of knowing the Jets will play them soft.

Maybe the D can throw a couple of those butt checks against the other teams stars and rattle some chains.

JHikka
Apr 26, 2021, 8:39 PM

Maurice can only do so much with whatever Cheveldayoff can bring him on the open market. I think in the larger scope of things Maurice has gotten just about what he's been able to out of the roster, and Cheveldayoff has gotten what he's been able to on the market.

At a certain point it does make sense to move on from Maurice but the question is if Winnipeg can attract a coach that's any better.

I look at what a guy like Trotz has done in New York- he went in with a pretty average squad and elevated them way above their individual talents.

I don't think there'll be any disagreement that Trotz is a far better coach than Maurice. Trotz is easily one of the best coaches this century.

I’m not sure what team you have been following but it can’t be the Jets. I’m really looking forward to Jordan Benn and Paul Maurice leading us to Stanley Cup glory this year.
I don't think it's any secret that the Jets will have an increasingly difficult time with attracting free agents and players to play in Winnipeg, both in combination of the league playerbase becoming more American and in a scenario where the salary cap keeps increasing. My comment is in-part pointing out that Maurice is a halfway decent coach and in-part pointing out that things will only be getting more difficult for the Winnipeg market moving forward. The team is already in the sign-player-with-dad-who-already-coaches-in-the-market (Dubois) and sign-coach-with-son-who-already-plays-in-the-market (Lowry) phases. Do you think that situation improves in the next 5-to-10 years?

esquire
Apr 26, 2021, 9:15 PM
Maurice can only do so much with whatever Cheveldayoff can bring him on the open market. I think in the larger scope of things Maurice has gotten just about what he's been able to out of the roster, and Cheveldayoff has gotten what he's been able to on the market.

At a certain point it does make sense to move on from Maurice but the question is if Winnipeg can attract a coach that's any better.

I don't think there'll be any disagreement that Trotz is a far better coach than Maurice. Trotz is easily one of the best coaches this century.

I don't think it's any secret that the Jets will have an increasingly difficult time with attracting free agents and players to play in Winnipeg, both in combination of the league playerbase becoming more American and in a scenario where the salary cap keeps increasing. My comment is in-part pointing out that Maurice is a halfway decent coach and in-part pointing out that things will only be getting more difficult for the Winnipeg market moving forward. The team is already in the sign-player-with-dad-who-already-coaches-in-the-market (Dubois) and sign-coach-with-son-who-already-plays-in-the-market (Lowry) phases. Do you think that situation improves in the next 5-to-10 years?

It's terrible, it's a disaster, it's all doomed... yet there they are in second place.