PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95

Ando
Jul 3, 2018, 2:46 PM
Agreed on defense. Hopefully Poolman will turn out to be the real deal. I liked Morrow last year as well.

DowntownBooster
Jul 3, 2018, 4:45 PM
I feel like we have a bigger rivalry now with Vegas than we do with any of the central div teams. On the topic of armia, did we lose him for nothing? I’m pretty sure we needed that cap space regardless of whether or not we signed Stastny.

I still think our biggest rivalry at this point is Nashville. The teams are pretty much even competitive-wise and I think the rivalry is reciprocal in which we don't like them and their fans don't like the Jets whereas I don't think the Vegas fans dislike Winnipeg. I know some people here consider the Leafs as a rival but that is largely due to the dislike that many Canadians have toward Toronto as the 'Center of the Universe' but I would not think Leaf fans share the feelings of a rivalry towards the Jets.

Jets4Life
Jul 3, 2018, 5:17 PM
Not to rain on the Stanley Cup parade, but Roslovic is second year guy and hasn't played near a full season. I like him, but the jury is out. Little has been on the decline. Lowry and Copp are 3rd, 4th liners. There is a reason they wanted Statsny. I don't think it's all doom and gloom but they need a good second line centre.

His name is Jack Roslovic. Trust me
I am never wrong when it comes to the Jets. 2C by February 2019.

Jets4Life
Jul 3, 2018, 5:18 PM
Agreed on defense. Hopefully Poolman will turn out to be the real deal. I liked Morrow last year as well.

As I said last year at this time. Poolman will become a reliable third pairing defenseman.

dmacc
Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 PM
His name is Jack Roslovic. Trust me
I am never wrong when it comes to the Jets. 2C by February 2019.

I'm going to call BS because I am the only true Hockey Encyclopedia.

You are right in this scenario though, Roslovic is like a taller version on Ehlers that plays Centre. He's fast, shifty and can skate full circles in the offensive zone. PoMo hates putting players in a position to succeed so Roslovic will probably be stuck on the wing with Copp and Perrault until PoMo is forced to try him at centre.

buzzg
Jul 3, 2018, 5:38 PM
As I said last year at this time. Poolman will become a reliable third pairing defenseman.

A starfish could have predicted that.

Pinus
Jul 3, 2018, 11:58 PM
DefenCe

:)

Jets4Life
Jul 4, 2018, 7:22 AM
A starfish could have predicted that.

Posts from 2017 comparing Poolman to Morrissey:

Poolman looked fantastic – definitely the most NHL ready of all the young guys. He could be this season's Morrissey in terms of breakout star. Scheifele and Perrault also looked great..

Replace Enstrom with Poolman, keep Buff as a second tier defensemen so he is not so pressured, keep everyone else healthy and we have a solid team.

---

Now he (Poolman) wasn't drafted at the same spot as Morrisey, but he has gone through some major changes and improvements in his game since 2013. He definitely needs to step up, because he only has one year to do it, with his contract being up next year as well. But since being drafted he has really grown, and I can see him being the number 2 left side d under Morrisey. He might eventually be a last pairing D, because Stanley is also a beast, and is hu-ugeee (Also left side D)!

h0twired
Jul 4, 2018, 2:52 PM
Laurent Brossoit is a 2016 AHL all-star. And he signed for the league minimum.

The 25-year-old has 28 games of NHL experience, with his best numbers coming in Edmonton in 2016-17. That season, he played eight games, posting a 0.928 save percentage and a 1.99 goals against average.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/brossoit-excited-for-a-fresh-start-in-winnipeg/c-299380894

He also trains with Hellebuyck in the off-season.

Jammon
Jul 4, 2018, 4:07 PM
He also trains with Hellebuyck in the off-season.

Sorry, I don't have much faith in this signing. I think we're going to end up in another Hutchinson situation. I would have preferred they sign a veteran goaltender who can pick up games when they need to rest Helle. It was clear by the time they played Vegas, Helle had run out of gas and was not as sharp as he had been in previous series. That's why they need someone who can pick up those games. Helle played way too much last season and hit the wall by the time they faced Vegas.

bomberjet
Jul 5, 2018, 3:30 PM
I'll hold off on my opinion abuot the goaltending signing until after all the RFA's are signed. Hopefully Chevy gets the Laine extension done this summer too.

It seems like they're going to be $1-2 million under the cap. So signing a vet for $2M would not have worked. They need space for injuries and trade deadline signings.

But agreed about the goaltending. The purpose last year in signing Mason was to have 2 capable goaltenders. Obviously Mason didn't work out as he was concussed all season. Hellebuycks needs someone to take games during the regular season so he is 100% ready to go the distance in the playoffs.

On the Jets loss to Vegas, it was MA Fleury who stole the series. Jets had their chances to score at key times. The difference between Nashville and Vegas is Fleury made the stops, and Rinne got pulled. I firmly believe if a coupe of those goals went in against Fleury, Jets would've made the finals. In the finals, Fleury was clearly not the same. Tired and he had some type of injury sustained during the Jets series that he made work. As time went on, it wore him out.

Jets4Life
Jul 6, 2018, 5:36 AM
I'll hold off on my opinion abuot the goaltending signing until after all the RFA's are signed. Hopefully Chevy gets the Laine extension done this summer too.

It seems like they're going to be $1-2 million under the cap. So signing a vet for $2M would not have worked. They need space for injuries and trade deadline signings.

But agreed about the goaltending. The purpose last year in signing Mason was to have 2 capable goaltenders. Obviously Mason didn't work out as he was concussed all season. Hellebuycks needs someone to take games during the regular season so he is 100% ready to go the distance in the playoffs.

On the Jets loss to Vegas, it was MA Fleury who stole the series. Jets had their chances to score at key times. The difference between Nashville and Vegas is Fleury made the stops, and Rinne got pulled. I firmly believe if a coupe of those goals went in against Fleury, Jets would've made the finals. In the finals, Fleury was clearly not the same. Tired and he had some type of injury sustained during the Jets series that he made work. As time went on, it wore him out.

I hate Vegas with a passion and I am glad the Caps beat them. Classless organization.

dmacc
Jul 12, 2018, 3:22 PM
Does anyone else think the Helley signing is a bit steep for a goalie with one good year under his belt? I was thinking more in the 5-5.5 range and for a shorter term. What if that was a one off year?

buzzg
Jul 12, 2018, 3:59 PM
Does anyone else think the Helley signing is a bit steep for a goalie with one good year under his belt? I was thinking more in the 5-5.5 range and for a shorter term. What if that was a one off year?

Not at all. I expected 5.6–5.8, so not far off. Even he showed 2 years ago he could be that guy, but just wasn't put in a great situation. His advanced stats are off the charts, and by all expert accounts he looks like he's poised to be a top-5 goalie for years. Goalie contracts are a different beast, you don't want to rattle them by showing you don't have full confidence, as many teams have done before.

Price, Ludnqvist, Bobrovsky, Rask, Rinne are all making $7m+ and 7 other goalies are making 5.75–6.1.

This is a great contract to me. Especially at 6 years, as the salary cap (and average goalie salary) is likely to go up a good chunk in the next few years. He's clearly in the top-15 at minimum, so by pricing him right in the middle and him taking the offer, you avoid arbitration. I think if they went to arbitration he could have easily gotten closer to $7m.

buzzg
Jul 12, 2018, 4:05 PM
I hate Vegas with a passion and I am glad the Caps beat them. Classless organization.

What's classless about Vegas? George McPhee has far and away proven he's already a HOF GM, and they guy's still young. He may already be one of the best GMs all time, in any sport.

I always hear people complaining how Vegas got it too easy in the expansion draft and don't "deserve" to be this good. Those people obviously don't pay attention much as most of Vegas' biggest stars, and difference makers all year and postseason, actually came over in deals and trades McPhee made with GMs. Any other team could have done it, but would be too scared because of emotional reasons. Vegas' players had never been together, so McPhee didn't have to show allegiance to anyone, as fans didn't know them either yet. They absolutely pillaged Florida for all they were worth.

He was brilliant in keeping almost all the deals he was planning behind closed doors. Had more GMs been aware of a lot of the deals in place, they may not have made some of them out of the fear of creating a monster team. It happened. McPhee deserves a medal.

Oh, let's also not forget he built the cup-winning Capitals team.

dmacc
Jul 12, 2018, 4:13 PM
Not at all. I expected 5.6–5.8, so not far off. Even he showed 2 years ago he could be that guy, but just wasn't put in a great situation. His advanced stats are off the charts, and by all expert accounts he looks like he's poised to be a top-5 goalie for years. Goalie contracts are a different beast, you don't want to rattle them by showing you don't have full confidence, as many teams have done before.

Price, Ludnqvist, Bobrovsky, Rask, Rinne are all making $7m+ and 7 other goalies are making 5.75–6.1.

This is a great contract to me. Especially at 6 years, as the salary cap (and average goalie salary) is likely to go up a good chunk in the next few years. He's clearly in the top-15 at minimum, so by pricing him right in the middle and him taking the offer, you avoid arbitration. I think if they went to arbitration he could have easily gotten closer to $7m.

This makes a lot of sense, especially with a new US Broadcast deal coming in the next couple years. We could see an explosion in the coming years. You may have convinced me.

bomberjet
Jul 12, 2018, 4:45 PM
I think the Hellebuyck contract is great. As expected IMO. Contract will take him until age 31, which is about right. We'll see how his play is at that time and what contract is deserved.

Also, makes that Scheifele contract look even better!

buzzg
Jul 13, 2018, 12:00 AM
I think the Hellebuyck contract is great. As expected IMO. Contract will take him until age 31, which is about right. We'll see how his play is at that time and what contract is deserved.

Also, makes that Scheifele contract look even better!

Was reading an article on TSN this morning on how Scheifele might be the best contract in hockey. His and Kucherov's career trajectory are strikingly similar (both drafted in 2011, but Kuche was 58th overall), yet Kucherov is getting paid 50% more ($9.5m AAV) and was given an $11m signing bonus.

Jets4Life
Aug 30, 2018, 9:17 AM
Winnipeg Jets signed Kristian Vesalainen to a three tear Entry Level contract. Vesalainen should be the top draw for the Manitoba Moose, as he had a breakout season, in the Finnish League at 18 years of age. The Moose will be in relatively good shape, as players like Lemieux, Petan, Poolman, Niku Appleton, Spacek, and Comrie continue to try and eventually make the Jets roster.

Hutchinson will be a significant loss, as Comrie has yet to show the hockey world that he is more than a career AHLer. Other players who may make a difference include Lipon, Harkins, Stanley, Green, Melchiori, Bourque, McKenzie, and Nogier.

dmacc
Aug 30, 2018, 1:18 PM
Winnipeg Jets signed Kristian Vesalainen to a three tear Entry Level contract. Vesalainen should be the top draw for the Manitoba Moose, as he had a breakout season, in the Finnish League at 18 years of age. The Moose will be in relatively good shape, as players like Lemieux, Petan, Poolman, Niku Appleton, Spacek, and Comrie continue to try and eventually make the Jets roster.

Hutchinson will be a significant loss, as Comrie has yet to show the hockey world that he is more than a career AHLer. Other players who may make a difference include Lipon, Harkins, Stanley, Green, Melchiori, Bourque, McKenzie, and Nogier.

Is he eligible to play for the moose or would he either have to play in Junior or go back to Europe? I think he's too young to play in the AHL.

bomberjet
Aug 30, 2018, 1:53 PM
Vesalainen will head back to Europe for this season if he's not on the Jets.

Ando
Aug 30, 2018, 3:28 PM
Is he eligible to play for the moose or would he either have to play in Junior or go back to Europe? I think he's too young to play in the AHL.
He's 19 years old 6' 4'', a first round pick, and just finished playing pro in Finland and winning a championship, and he's not old enough to play in the AHL???

Ando
Aug 30, 2018, 3:29 PM
He has that option. That doesn't prevent him from playing with the Moose.

dmacc
Aug 30, 2018, 3:30 PM
He's 19 years old 6' 4'', a first round pick, and just finished playing pro in Finland and winning a championship, and he's not old enough to play in the AHL???

I think you have to be 20 to play in the AHL, which is why Morissey and Sheif had to go back to junior two years in a row. It has nothing to do with size or skill.

Ando
Aug 30, 2018, 3:34 PM
I think you have to be 20 to play in the AHL, which is why Morissey and Sheif had to go back to junior two years in a row. It has nothing to do with size or skill.
You should check your facts before commenting.

Any player at least twenty-six (26) years of age (by Sept. 15 of that season) is not considered a rookie. What is the minimum age for an AHL player? Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

dmacc
Aug 30, 2018, 3:45 PM
It sounds like you are right about Vaselainen specifically but here is something you should read up on. It's an agreement between the NHL and CHL.

The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL. It's part of a deal that provides CHL money for players produced (sort of like the IIHF agreement between the NHL and European countries). The NHL agrees to send the teenagers back because CHL needs these players - its top players -- to make money. If the CHL didn't make money, they couldn't produce players. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Specifically, the rule says that if a player played in junior before they were drafted by the NHL, then they have to either be 20 years old by Dec. 31 OR have played four years of junior in order to play in the minors . That second condition rarely comes into effect. It would only apply to players who began in the CHL at age 15.

Players who are not drafted from the CHL, like NCAA and European players, aren't held to these rules. Players who were drafted out of Europe and then play in the CHL later, can play in the minors under the age of 20. European players drafted out of the CHL are held to it. Nationality is not part of the equation -- it's where you were drafted from (which league developed you).

Jets4Life
Aug 31, 2018, 1:45 AM

He has the option to, but will likely remain with the Moose.

bomberjet
Aug 31, 2018, 1:36 PM
Will he though? Sounds like it's up to the player and not the Jets.

dmacc
Aug 31, 2018, 2:01 PM
Will he though? Sounds like it's up to the player and not the Jets.

Though if he goes to the mouse he is able to be called up to the show. He doesn't have that ability if he goes back to Europe.

bomberjet
Aug 31, 2018, 2:07 PM
For clarity, I agree it would be best for him to join the Moose. Just from all the talk about it, seems like he wants to go back to Europe.

I've been waiting for Chevy to make one of his famous depth signings. But that hasn't happened yet. So seems there will be ample opportunity once again for the young guys to get a roster spot. Factor in injuries and it would seem Ves would get into the NHL line-up at some point.

Jets4Life
Sep 3, 2018, 5:31 PM
You should check your facts before commenting.

Any player at least twenty-six (26) years of age (by Sept. 15 of that season) is not considered a rookie.

AKA....the "Makarov Rule."

Goldie
Sep 4, 2018, 7:31 AM
Winnipeg Jets Alternate Jersey Unveiling!!
While the Bombers stumble, bumble, and fumble through a 28th straight disappointing season (they really are the worst-run sports franchise on this Earth), it's nice to know that Jets season is right around the corner!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dlt_kF4UwAALcB5.jpg:large

Jets4Life
Sep 4, 2018, 1:01 PM
Winnipeg Jets Alternate Jersey Unveiling!!
While the Bombers stumble, bumble, and fumble through a 28th straight disappointing season (they really are the worst-run sports franchise on this Earth), it's nice to know that Jets season is right around the corner!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dlt_kF4UwAALcB5.jpg:large

Cleveland browns: "Hold my beer."

The Unknown Poster
Sep 4, 2018, 4:33 PM
Vesalainen wanted the out clause to play back home. I dont know if he'd play for the Moose rather than go home but I suppose its possible. Its a good move on his part because if the Jets feel he's borderline, they are more likely to keep him.

And now Wheeler at 5 year extension. $8.2+ million per year

dmacc
Sep 4, 2018, 4:53 PM
Vesalainen wanted the out clause to play back home. I dont know if he'd play for the Moose rather than go home but I suppose its possible. Its a good move on his part because if the Jets feel he's borderline, they are more likely to keep him.

And now Wheeler at 5 year extension. $8.2+ million per year

I think this deal is a little rich for my blood. How will we afford Laine's next contract? Wheeler will be a depreciating asset soon and a 8.25 cap hit when he's 37 will be tough to swallow.

blueandgoldguy
Sep 4, 2018, 5:56 PM
I think this deal is a little rich for my blood. How will we afford Laine's next contract? Wheeler will be a depreciating asset soon and a 8.25 cap hit when he's 37 will be tough to swallow.

Trade Perreault, lose Myers in free agency, sign Laine to 9.5 million per, Connor to 6 million per or bridge at 4.5 - 5 million per, replace Myers with Niku, Trouba(currently top pairing defenseman) probably traded for a top - 4 d-men earning in the 4 -5 million range with 1 or 2 years left on his contract plus a first round pick or blue chip prospect...Perreault probably replaced by Ves and the Jets probably go into 2019/20 with an $82 million team salary with a cap around 83 - 85 million.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 4, 2018, 6:38 PM

Jets have $27 million in cap space next summer. Their key signings that have to be included in that is Josh (he needs to be signed for this season), Laine, Connor & Trouba. So thats doable.

That assumes they dont re-sign Myers who expires next summer. Kulikov expires the summer after and Roslo needs a deal then.

Really, they dont look bad. If they need to free cap space, its likely not a major piece they'd move. They seem to have managed their cap well.

If Trouba refuses to sign here, thats a big piece not counting and one they have to replace.

But Jets look ok. Assume the Cap goes up and its close to $30 million they have next season for 4 players.

dmacc
Sep 4, 2018, 6:56 PM
Jets have $27 million in cap space next summer. Their key signings that have to be included in that is Josh (he needs to be signed for this season), Laine, Connor & Trouba. So thats doable.

That assumes they dont re-sign Myers who expires next summer. Kulikov expires the summer after and Roslo needs a deal then.

Really, they dont look bad. If they need to free cap space, its likely not a major piece they'd move. They seem to have managed their cap well.

If Trouba refuses to sign here, thats a big piece not counting and one they have to replace.

But Jets look ok. Assume the Cap goes up and its close to $30 million they have next season for 4 players.

You forgot about Andrew Copp and a Goalie, asuming everyone but Myers stays:

Trouba: 6.5
Connor: 5
Morissey: 5
Laine 9.5
Copp: 2
Goalie 1
Total: 29

Remember when Cap goes up so do salarys. A 6 million contract today is worth 6.5 in a cap goes up. That is a very tight target to hit.

dmacc
Sep 4, 2018, 7:03 PM
and Tanev is signed till next year so you have to spend some money on his roster spot also. It might be doable but we're hoping for some pretty generous players to play for at or under what their worth.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 4, 2018, 8:04 PM
You forgot about Andrew Copp and a Goalie, asuming everyone but Myers stays:

Trouba: 6.5
Connor: 5
Morissey: 5
Laine 9.5
Copp: 2
Goalie 1
Total: 29

Remember when Cap goes up so do salarys. A 6 million contract today is worth 6.5 in a cap goes up. That is a very tight target to hit.

Copp is fairly minor at this point. And as they showed us this year, the back up goalie isnt going to be much. The $2 million and below players wont cause a big issue as we have plenty of them.

With your numbers even, Jets can manage the cap.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 4, 2018, 8:06 PM
and Tanev is signed till next year so you have to spend some money on his roster spot also. It might be doable but we're hoping for some pretty generous players to play for at or under what their worth.

He's a UFA next summer so his contract counts this year (with the Jets having around $10 million in cap space). Josh's contract will eat into some of that $10 million.

Tanev is another bottom six player who's deal isnt going to be an issue. He either re-signs for what works or Jets move on. They have other players fighting for spots. Too many players for the spots, so they can lose a couple of bottom six players.

Ando
Sep 4, 2018, 8:28 PM
That's a fair price for Wheeler.

Jets4Life
Sep 5, 2018, 3:55 AM

Tanev is a bottom six forward, barely making $1,000,000. He is not in the same league as some for the Jets top players.

Ando
Sep 5, 2018, 3:35 PM
So where did this rumour about Veselainen going back to Finland if he doesn't make the Jets start anyway? Here is what the FP said when he signed:

"Vesalainen could continue playing in Europe but said he plans to make his pro debut in North America this coming season — either with the Jets or starting the season with the Manitoba Moose, if necessary."

Biff
Sep 5, 2018, 5:09 PM
It is that he has a clause in his contract that he "can" return to Finland instead of playing for the Moose if he chooses.

Wpg_Guy
Sep 15, 2018, 12:32 AM
Welcome to BMP’s new open concept box office
By Krista Sinaisky | August 8, 2018

http://www.tnse.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BoxofficeF2.jpg

Bell MTS Place (BMP) has traded in the traditional ticket windows for a new open concept box office that will now welcome patrons with face to face ticketing service in the Portage Avenue atrium. The newly renovated space, which opened August 1, represents the new and modern box office concept that is trending in the industry.

A month-long renovation saw the complete redesign of the box office space that, in addition to removing the glass barriers, made staff working space more efficient and included software upgrades. New digital screens also offer show information to patrons.

“Face to face communication with True North’s ticket representatives will set a new tone for customers’ experience at the box office,” said Linzy Jones, Senior Director of Ticket Service & Operations. “It’s a much more inviting interaction that puts patrons at ease, especially those who may have an issue that they are trying to resolve.”

Customer service satisfaction has show to significantly improve in other venues where the transition has ben made to an open concept box office. Customers feel better understood and better connected to the reps who are assisting them and overall, transactions are made and issues are resolved more promptly.
“Digital and mobile ticketing offers a lot of convenience and flexibility to patrons and more personal interactions will better help patrons navigate the transition to this digital process,” said Jones.

The new box office is just one change that True North has made to contribute to a 360-degree customer service experience that start with the ticket purchase and continues until patrons are safely on their way from the venue. Frontline agents and account representatives are being cross trained on all systems to provide the tools, resources, and knowledge to be able to assist all customers, no matter the event, nature of the inquiry or system.

“Every interaction with our patrons counts,” said Jones. “Starting with the ticket transaction, providing efficient, effective and personable service, is as important as the event or game that they are coming to enjoy.”

LQdyiNRIb6Y

Wpg_Guy
Sep 15, 2018, 1:43 AM
New 3rd jersey for the Jets
INSPIRED BY THE PAST, BUILT FOR THE FUTURE.
Inspired by the simplicity of the 1990-96 Winnipeg Jets uniforms, the Winnipeg Jets Aviator jersey combines a classic look and feel, with modern adizero innovation, design and craftsmanship. The new tonal blue colour scheme takes a fresh approach by reversing the team's current colour palette, now featuring aviator blue as its base. The team's official new wordmark includes a Jets script that draws from a long line of team wordmarks that have incorporated Jets shapes and motion. Emblazoned inside the neckline are the words "We Are True North.", a call back to our fans who passionately yell "True North" each game.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300050724/1536x864/cut.jpg

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300071370/1536x864/cut.png

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300089326/1000x733/cut.jpg

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300056282/1000x1496/cut.jpg

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300089328/1000x733/cut.jpg
https://www.nhl.com/jets/fans/aviator-jersey

WORDMARK HISTORY
The new wordmark and logo includes a Jets script that draws from a long line of team wordmarks that have incorporated Jets shapes and motion. It is highlighted with the "t" in "Jets" being crossed with the outline of a fighter jet. The wordmark, designed by David Mann, becomes the team's official new wordmark, replacing the one used since the 2011-12 season.
https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/photos/300052886/1536x384/cut.png

Jets4Life
Sep 15, 2018, 3:12 AM
That 3rd jersey is bland.

Having said that, Morrissey is still unsigned.

bomberjet
Sep 15, 2018, 3:23 PM
:haha: I concur with both points.

buzzg
Sep 15, 2018, 5:02 PM
I saw Morissey at Stella's yesterday. The fact that he's in the city, working out, speaks volumes to how much he clearly wants to be here and figure it out, and makes me not worry at all. Most players will stay home in these situations.

--

The jersey is terrible. The only thing positive I have to say about it is that I think the colour will look great on the ice (even though it doesn't in photos).

I just really hate the "fake retro" look. They should have either gone with an actual retro jersey (blue Heritage Classic?) or done something completely modern. TN always speaks about how this is 2.0, so back that up. Why does TNSE always have to be so boring and conservative? There's also a video on IG where an Adidas designer says there's a jet in the cross of the T... F off.

There's soooooo many way better fan concepts online, even a much better version of the actual one, made a while ago:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5007b2ea84aef6ab9cd08134/t/5b3030226d2a73177abad3ba/1529884716540/?format=750w

https://picload.org/image/riwpdwwl/wpg1home.jpg

Striping needs a bit of work (no chest) on this one, but the logo is stunning:
https://markosun.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/jets.png?w=1000

bomberjet
Sep 15, 2018, 5:25 PM
The Laine one, with current logo, red stripes and white shoulders would be awesome.

I don't mind the features of the new jersey. The blue is okay, the word mark is okay. I just don't think it fits together, especially with the striping.

Ando
Sep 16, 2018, 3:06 PM
I love the new sweater. Great colour and clean lines.

buzzg
Sep 16, 2018, 4:09 PM
I think the striping is the worst part of the new jersey. The stripes are so big on the socks they look horrible. And the empty shoulders don't help how plain it is.

Ando
Sep 16, 2018, 4:14 PM
I like the simplicity of it. Don’t have a problem with the stripes.

Goldie
Sep 17, 2018, 4:53 AM
I like it, personally. Simple. Clean.

I can't stand Jets fans who constantly think we should "honour" the 1.0 Jets, like they were the New York Yankees or New England Patriots or something. From 1979-1996 they were an extremely poorly-run sports franchise. Our legacy from that time? Selanne. Hawerchuk. THE END. If they had existed for 50 years & won multiple Stanley Cups, well, ok, I'd understand it then.

It's the main reason why I wouldn't have minded if our new NHL franchise had been the "Manitoba Falcons" or whatever (as long as the logo was sharp). Fresh start.

Jets4Life
Sep 17, 2018, 6:39 AM
edit..

Jets4Life
Sep 17, 2018, 6:43 AM

I can't stand Jets fans who constantly think we should "honour" the 1.0 Jets, like they were the New York Yankees or New England Patriots or something. From 1979-1996 they were an extremely poorly-run sports franchise. Our legacy from that time? Selanne. Hawerchuk. THE END. If they had existed for 50 years & won multiple Stanley Cups, well, ok, I'd understand it then.

It's the main reason why I wouldn't have minded if our new NHL franchise had been the "Manitoba Falcons" or whatever (as long as the logo was sharp). Fresh start.

The Jets were the first pro hockey team to fill a significant size of their roster with Europeans. Before 1974, no other hockey team in North America would ahve considered that. The Jets went on to become the best team in the WHA, and one of the best hockey teams in the World for the remainder of the 70s.

In fact, Glen Sather modeled the 1980s Edmonton Oilers from the WHA Jets. If it were not for the Jets, there would be no Oilers dynasty, and Europeans would not have been drafted as quickly as they were once the Jets started winning Championships.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 17, 2018, 2:09 PM
I love the new jersey. Im surprised by the backlash but I guess the Jets and TN are in that zone of "its cool to hate them". Its a third jersey, not a new primary,

Im surprised their marketing material refers to it as inspired by the 90-96 design though when its clearly inspired by the WHA logo/wordmark.

Its clean, simple, great colour scheme. And apparently, selling briskly.

Oh and Josh is now signed to a VERY team friendly 2 year 6.3 million deal.

dmacc
Sep 17, 2018, 2:13 PM
I love the new jersey. Im surprised by the backlash but I guess the Jets and TN are in that zone of "its cool to hate them". Its a third jersey, not a new primary,

Im surprised their marketing material refers to it as inspired by the 90-96 design though when its clearly inspired by the WHA logo/wordmark.

We will be in Salary Cap Hell after next season.

Jets4Life
Sep 18, 2018, 12:48 AM

The Laine signing is going to sting us hard. Connor will be due for a huge raise as well. Odds are Trouba will be gone. I cannot see Kulikov's lower back holding up this season, so he may be bought out. Hard to say what will become of Myers. I sure hope Stanley, Niku, and Samberg are NHL-ready by the end of the season. It would really help our blue line, and allow us some cap freedom.

Jets4Life
Sep 18, 2018, 2:00 AM

Personally, I think it's more nostalgia-based hate, as the 3rd jersey looks nothing like anything from the Jets 1.0 past. The new jerseys also look a wee bit too similar to the Pittsburgh Penguins third jerseys.

https://www.jersey-kingdom.co/pic/201510272333079484.jpg

DowntownBooster
Sep 18, 2018, 3:33 AM

I can't stand Jets fans who constantly think we should "honour" the 1.0 Jets, like they were the New York Yankees or New England Patriots or something. From 1979-1996 they were an extremely poorly-run sports 5franchise. Our legacy from that time? Selanne. Hawerchuk. THE END. If they had existed for 50 years & won multiple Stanley Cups, well, ok, I'd understand it then.

By honouring Jets 1.0 we are in turn honouring the fans that supported them through thick and thin. The history matters to the people here. Mark Chipman brought the NHL back and we are all thankful for that but naming the team the Jets was the right thing to do for the fans. If it wasn't for the fans here, Winnipeg would never have been given a second thought by the NHL.

The Leafs haven't one the Stanley Cup for over 50 years now. What's their legacy during that time? Should they be renamed? Given a new logo? Stop with all this lack of success talk being a reason the team should have been given a new name for a fresh start. We are the same fans. We never left. The team was taken from us, we never rejected the team. Common sense led Mark Chipman to name the team Winnipeg Jets instead of Manitoba Falcons. Give the fans what they want and they'll give right back.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 18, 2018, 1:58 PM

We'll be up against it, but not impossibly so. Lots of money coming off the books soon too.

bomberjet
Sep 18, 2018, 2:14 PM
I like the jersey colour. I like the wordmark. But I don't like them together. Seems beer league ish. Actually my beer league team has nicer jerseys than that. Everybodies got opinions.

It's also not 'cool to hate them'.. In fact, there's a large group of fans who think anything the Jets do is the best thing ever, regardless.

Ando
Sep 18, 2018, 3:02 PM
Yeah, i think the colour is great.

Jets4Life
Sep 19, 2018, 4:39 AM
Jack Roslovic looked great in his first game. It's only a matter of time before he creeps his way into the #2 Centre spot. Little will be expendable by seasons end.

lRh-atGUfMA

Here we see grinder Brendan Lemieux fighting for a spot in the Jets lineup....literally.

GO JETS GO

Jets4Life
Sep 19, 2018, 4:41 AM
We'll be up against it, but not impossibly so. Lots of money coming off the books soon too.

Sadly not enough to sign Laine and Connor, while keeping all of our offensive depth.

h0twired
Sep 19, 2018, 3:33 PM
Sadly not enough to sign Laine and Connor, while keeping all of our offensive depth.

The Jets still have $7M in cap space. Trouba and Myers will likely be gone by next year which frees up $11M and if Kulikov can't cut it, we will see another $4M freed up.

Laine will likely get a long term $9-10.5M AAV deal and Connor will likely see a bridge deal to get him to his UFA years.

Defense will be left lacking but if one or two of Poolman, Stanley and Niku can step up in the same way that JoMo did. I think we will be fine. I can see us also picking up a seasoned defenseman in a trade along the way.

As for offensive power. We still have Roslovic, Lemieux and Veselainen available should we have to make some cost savings.

Bottom line. The Jets are fine.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 19, 2018, 5:46 PM

We have room. $23 million in cap space next summer. Yes, we need Laine, Connor & Trouba in that. Myers is the only other important piece. Kulikov comes off the following year (could be traded).

We'll have to sign Roslo then but we'd be a year away from Perreault and Buff contracts expiring.

Assuming the cap goes up a couple million per year as well. Its not insurmountable.

Ando
Sep 19, 2018, 8:51 PM
The Jets still have $7M in cap space. Trouba and Myers will likely be gone by next year which frees up $11M and if Kulikov can't cut it, we will see another $4M freed up.

Laine will likely get a long term $9-10.5M AAV deal and Connor will likely see a bridge deal to get him to his UFA years.

Defense will be left lacking but if one or two of Poolman, Stanley and Niku can step up in the same way that JoMo did. I think we will be fine. I can see us also picking up a seasoned defenseman in a trade along the way.

As for offensive power. We still have Roslovic, Lemieux and Veselainen available should we have to make some cost savings.

Bottom line. The Jets are fine.
Exactly. Chevy is not worried. It will all work out.

bomberjet
Sep 19, 2018, 8:54 PM
I would be dumbfounded, shocked, appalled, if the Jets did not re-sign Connor. They'll find a way. Trading Little or Matty P may need to happen in the next year or two if they can't get it sorted out.

Jets4Life
Sep 19, 2018, 9:38 PM

It's debatable if Myers will be gone or not next season, if Trouba leaves. If Kulikov has lower back problems again, the Jets will be forced to eat the remaining year on his contract, since nobody will want him.

Jets4Life
Sep 19, 2018, 9:40 PM
I would be dumbfounded, shocked, appalled, if the Jets did not re-sign Connor. They'll find a way. Trading Little or Matty P may need to happen in the next year or two if they can't get it sorted out.

It will be a shame to depart with Perreault, but it is what it is I guess. If Little continues to regress like last season, he will be untradeable, and the Jets will either be forced to eat his contract, or deal away assets to rid themselves of his contract (like with the Armia/Mason trade to Montreal).

buzzg
Sep 19, 2018, 10:34 PM
The Jets are more than fine. $7m in cap space is comparatively huge, especially since we know a few contracts will be coming off the books in the next year.

Look at the mess in Edmonton right now... they have $1m in cap space.

Ando
Sep 20, 2018, 5:50 PM
Of course they are going to re-sign Connor. That's a no-brainer. I think a certain person on here who seems he knows a lot about the Jets should stop with the fake hysteria.

bomberjet
Sep 20, 2018, 5:57 PM
Salary cap info is here for the Jets.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

They need to add one player to the roster, likely Vesalainen, to get to 23. They'll be at about 6 million below the cap. After factoring in bonuses, they'll essentially be a couple million below the cap, pending any trade deadline rental deals.

Things will be tight next year for sure. That's where we'll see guys like Myers and Kulikov likely gone, with the younger cheaper D men coming in. Trouba and Morrissey contracts will be an issue, along with Laine and Connor.

If someone ahs time to do some math, we could see how things shake out. I don't have time right now, but maybe later today.

The Unknown Poster
Sep 20, 2018, 6:30 PM
It's debatable if Myers will be gone or not next season, if Trouba leaves. If Kulikov has lower back problems again, the Jets will be forced to eat the remaining year on his contract, since nobody will want him.

If Kulikov cant play due to back injuries, Jets could LTIR him and recoup that space.

Biff
Sep 20, 2018, 7:39 PM
Pavelec retired from hockey today. OK goalie but a great interview. Always cracked me up hearing him talk.

In season one when they asked Jets questions on the telecast in between periods, they were all asked to spell Byfuglien - Pavelec responded - "i can't even say that name".....ahhh good times.

Jets4Life
Sep 21, 2018, 12:05 PM
Of course they are going to re-sign Connor. That's a no-brainer. I think a certain person on here who seems he knows a lot about the Jets should stop with the fake hysteria.
I love you too Ando.

Ando
Sep 21, 2018, 2:34 PM
I don't love your attempts to create hysteria where none exists.

optimusREIM
Sep 21, 2018, 3:47 PM
This thread is giving me cancer

bomberjet
Sep 21, 2018, 3:48 PM
^SSP in general these days..

Jets4Life
Sep 23, 2018, 9:13 PM
I would not have a problem with splitting up Laine and Ehlers. Both are incredibly talented but.can improve on the backcheck. Love to see Connor and Roz play together. They had good chemistry in the AHL and played well against the Canadiens in an OT.

Bluenote
Sep 24, 2018, 5:02 AM
I would not have a problem with splitting up Laine and Ehlers. Both are incredibly talented but.can improve on the backcheck. Love to see Colainnor and Roz play together. They had good chemistry in the AHL and played well against the Canadiens in an OT.

Laine and Ehelers are not the issue. Little needs to go down another line. Roslivic should be with Laine and Ehlers.

But Skyler impressed me tonight as well :cheers:

dmacc
Sep 24, 2018, 2:45 PM
laine and ehelers are not the issue. Little needs to go down another line. roslivic should be with laine and ehlers.

But skyler impressed me tonight as well :cheers:

yesssss!!!!

Bluenote
Oct 5, 2018, 1:44 PM
Looks like the season is off to a great start. The entire team looks great. Helle looks like he’s ready for the playoffs first game. He was amazing. Nice to see the first of the season goal by the beardless Finnish wonder.
However defence could use some help. As to many shots on us. Buffy didn’t seem to be a big presence this game. Maybe he had a bad day fishing. Or the fines and suspension that was just handed out has put a scare on Smash em all Buff.
Either way. The leafs won. Which as we all know is known across the world as there is no other team lol. So proud they beat a sad sacked team with zero hopes of the playoffs and they think they are now the best. It’s like the oilers when Mcdavid scores. The ground shakes.

So sick of hearing how Mathews and Mcdavid and Crybaby Crosby are the best in the league. Last time I looked Ovi and Laine scored the most goals in the league. But are they mentioned. NO. Cause all they are is assist point leaders. Goal scorers should get 2 points and assists 1 point. And the guy getting the second assist which is stupid should get a half a point.

cheswick
Oct 5, 2018, 2:32 PM
Looks like the season is off to a great start. The entire team looks great. Helle looks like he’s ready for the playoffs first game. He was amazing. Nice to see the first of the season goal by the beardless Finnish wonder.
However defence could use some help. As to many shots on us. Buffy didn’t seem to be a big presence this game. Maybe he had a bad day fishing. Or the fines and suspension that was just handed out has put a scare on Smash em all Buff.
Either way. The leafs won. Which as we all know is known across the world as there is no other team lol. So proud they beat a sad sacked team with zero hopes of the playoffs and they think they are now the best. It’s like the oilers when Mcdavid scores. The ground shakes.

So sick of hearing how Mathews and Mcdavid and Crybaby Crosby are the best in the league. Last time I looked Ovi and Laine scored the most goals in the league. But are they mentioned. NO. Cause all they are is assist point leaders. Goal scorers should get 2 points and assists 1 point. And the guy getting the second assist which is stupid should get a half a point.

lol. You're trying to argue Laine is in the same league as McDavid and Crosby?? First off they put up comparable goals numbers. Crosby has won the rocket Richard trophy twice, including two years ago. McDavid finished with 3 fewer goals than Laine last year, but with 40 more points. So even if you used your ridiculous scoring methodology, McDavid would still be miles ahead. This is ofcourse ignoring the stuff these elite players do off od the puck that laine does not.

Ando
Oct 5, 2018, 3:14 PM
Anyway, great win for the Jets, they were explosive in the third period. Awesome.

HomeInMyShoes
Oct 5, 2018, 3:29 PM
Hellebuyck looked good. 41 save performance when your team gets outshot by 17, even if they aren't difficult saves is a good outing.

bomberjet
Oct 5, 2018, 3:46 PM
2 posts by STL earlier in the game could've swung this the other way pretty easily. Hellebuyck kept the Jets in it before the big 3rd period spree. As PoMo mentioned after the game, jets shut it down for the last 10 minutes giving STL there scoring chances and goal.

Ando
Oct 5, 2018, 7:00 PM
Posts are for losers. Goals are for winners.

bomberjet
Oct 5, 2018, 7:09 PM
Exactly. If they would've scored, STL would've won. They didn't, which let the Jets stay in the game. It was closer than the score shows.

dennis
Oct 5, 2018, 8:23 PM
2 posts by STL earlier in the game could've swung this the other way pretty easily. Hellebuyck kept the Jets in it before the big 3rd period spree. As PoMo mentioned after the game, jets shut it down for the last 10 minutes giving STL there scoring chances and goal.

If the St. Louis player had th skill to aim better it would have gone in.

bomberjet
Oct 5, 2018, 8:29 PM
Okie dokie.

dennis
Oct 5, 2018, 8:34 PM
Previous post was a joke in a way. Anyways people say that good teams find a way to get the puck in the net. That First goal by Laine just snuck in under the crossbar.

bomberjet
Oct 5, 2018, 8:36 PM
My point was St. Louis played a decent game and came within 2 half inches of being in the lead. Laines goal went in because he has a cannon for a shot. Jets pulled away in the end because they're a better team.

AJYBR
Oct 5, 2018, 8:38 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the Friday laugh!

I'm as big of a Jets fan as anyone, but Laine doesn't belong anywhere near the same sentence as McDavid and Crosby as far as best player in the league goes.

Goldie
Oct 6, 2018, 7:34 AM
Jets & Moose should do very well this year. Looking forward to their seasons, although I almost wish many publications (ex. The Hockey News) wouldn't have the Jets as the Stanley Cup favourite... I feel that kind of thing is a jinx.

Ando
Oct 6, 2018, 6:53 PM

I'm as big of a Jets fan as anyone, but Laine doesn't belong anywhere near the same sentence as McDavid and Crosby as far as best player in the league goes.
Why don’t we wait to see how the season progresses before starting to make pronouncements about who belongs in what sentence?

optimusREIM
Oct 6, 2018, 9:48 PM

Well he does because he is an elite talent. He has the second most goals since he came into the league which is pretty good. I'd say that puts him into the conversation of best players automatically.