PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

Boreal
Feb 8, 2012, 7:14 AM
I agree with you rocc, Antropov is a valuable piece. Does a lot of subtle things.

It's always nice to beat the Leafs, but we still struggled to score against a very tired hockey team. Wheeler looks so good charging wide off the wing. Great speed.

roccerfeller
Feb 8, 2012, 5:19 PM
I guess Claude Noel is suddenly an amazing coach now, eh Wayward? They played awesome tonight. Sometimes in order to win a team game, more than one person needs to be liable and responsible for the wins losses. All 22 Players, Coaches, Staff, Ownership. Everyone needs to work harder to prevent a loss, and keep there heads on after a win. Good game tonight boys. Although I am proud of my Jets win or lose, as long as they have heart.

careful, your marxist views have no room for logic :P

ILYR
Feb 24, 2012, 6:56 PM
Construction of probability of the Jets making the playoffs (so this is construction related)

There is plenty of talk about the Jets being in 3rd in the East, but the other teams have all these games in hand. So that being said I have done some math to show what record all the lower ranked teams would need to have to reach 95 points. I choose 95 as this is an average of the 8th place teams from last year (this includes points for division leaders, which were all way above 95 last year). For the east 8th was 93 and the west was 95 points.

TM - Team
GM - games played
PTS - points
GR - games remaining
MX - Maximum number of points a team could get this season based on the remaining games
NP - number of points needed for a team to reach the 95 point mark
W - L - OTL - the record required by each team to reach 95 points

TM GM PTS GR MX NP W L OTL
WPG 63 67 19 105 28 14 5 0
FLR 59 66 23 112 29 14 8 1
TOR 61 65 21 107 30 15 6 0
WSH 60 63 22 107 32 16 6 0
TMB 60 60 22 107 35 17 4 1
BUF 60 59 22 103 36 18 4 0
NYI 60 58 22 102 37 18 4 1
CAR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1
MTR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1

What is immediately apparent from this is that the minimum number of points to make the playoffs will likely be less than last year. None of these teams are likely to finish with these records. Even Florida, which has the most realistic record required to reach the 95 point mark, will be in tough to win 14 they way they have been playing. The Jets have an advantage over Toronto, Buffalo and NYI as they have the division title in reach as well. I have a hard time believing Montreal or Carolina will have records anywhere near 18-3-1.

Personally I think 8th will need a minimum of 91-93 pts. Either way the Jets and Florida are in control of their own destiny, whereas the other teams will need a bit of help. It going to be interesting.

I guess for those Habs fans it all went downhill after the opening win in Winnipeg.

GO JETS GO!!!

GORDBO
Feb 24, 2012, 7:37 PM
Construction of probability of the Jets making the playoffs (so this is construction related)

There is plenty of talk about the Jets being in 3rd in the East, but the other teams have all these games in hand. So that being said I have done some math to show what record all the lower ranked teams would need to have to reach 95 points. I choose 95 as this is an average of the 8th place teams from last year (this includes points for division leaders, which were all way above 95 last year). For the east 8th was 93 and the west was 95 points.

TM - Team
GM - games played
PTS - points
GR - games remaining
MX - Maximum number of points a team could get this season based on the remaining games
NP - number of points needed for a team to reach the 95 point mark
W - L - OTL - the record required by each team to reach 95 points

TM GM PTS GR MX NP W L OTL
WPG 63 67 19 105 28 14 5 0
FLR 59 66 23 112 29 14 8 1
TOR 61 65 21 107 30 15 6 0
WSH 60 63 22 107 32 16 6 0
TMB 60 60 22 107 35 17 4 1
BUF 60 59 22 103 36 18 4 0
NYI 60 58 22 102 37 18 4 1
CAR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1
MTR 61 58 21 100 37 18 3 1

What is immediately apparent from this is that the minimum number of points to make the playoffs will likely be less than last year. None of these teams are likely to finish with these records. Even Florida, which has the most realistic record required to reach the 95 point mark, will be in tough to win 14 they way they have been playing. The Jets have an advantage over Toronto, Buffalo and NYI as they have the division title in reach as well. I have a hard time believing Montreal or Carolina will have records anywhere near 18-3-1.

Personally I think 8th will need a minimum of 91-93 pts. Either way the Jets and Florida are in control of their own destiny, whereas the other teams will need a bit of help. It going to be interesting.

I guess for those Habs fans it all went downhill after the opening win in Winnipeg.

GO JETS GO!!!

I can't see any of the above teams achieving those projections.
Hate to say it, but Fla.s 4 games in hand could make the difference for the Jets making the playoffs. Jets would be fortunate to go 11-6-2. maybe good for 7th or 8th. Got an e-mail from the Jets regarding playoff tickets last week,
got till March 2nd to committ. Gotta go for it, if it doesn't happen, money gets applied to next years season tickets.:cheers:

Biff
Feb 24, 2012, 9:01 PM
Jets just put Miettnen of waivers.

h0twired
Feb 24, 2012, 9:07 PM
Jets just put Miettnen of waivers.

Not a big surprise there.

Was a cheap experiment that didn't pan out as well as Wellwood did.

Boreal
Feb 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
I would be very surprised if he was claimed. I'm hopeful though.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 25, 2012, 3:37 AM
Things are looking up in Winnipeg. Perhaps the Jets should stay in the Southeast division afterall.

Anyway, got my fingers crossed...you guys deserve a little playoff action.

roccerfeller
Feb 25, 2012, 3:42 PM
I would be very surprised if he was claimed. I'm hopeful though.

I have a feeling our organization would rather let him choose his own path (i.e. let him go) and promote within the organization (like bring someone up from the Ice Caps -- who are really ripping it up in the AHL btw) than trade him. He's not a bad player but he just didn't mesh here. Now obviously that doesn't mean he will for certain be traded or signed off, but its looking likely.

Things are looking up in Winnipeg. Perhaps the Jets should stay in the Southeast division afterall.

Anyway, got my fingers crossed...you guys deserve a little playoff action.

We have to be careful not to get too far ahead of ourselves, as there are 3 other teams we are tight with (Leafs, Caps, Panthers) who all have games-in-hand on us.

Besides, it looks like we may very well be in the Southeast next year as the NHLPA rejected the realignment plan which -- in my eyes -- was a clear shot toward the new CBA. Fehr doesn't mess around. He had some heft when he was with the MLB, and changed a lot for their player's association, so Bettman will have his hands full. I liked the realignment, as being in the Southeast does us no favours.

Wish the Habs beat the Caps last night but that was a weak effort on their part.

Dr Awesomesauce
Feb 26, 2012, 1:49 PM
^Well, it looks like the Leafs are done...one less team to worry about.

The Jabroni
Feb 27, 2012, 5:59 AM
We're no longer first in the division, but it's expected because again, we played the most games in the league thus far, and everybody else are just catching up.

As for the Leafs, that was also expected, as usual. :)

BKB
Mar 1, 2012, 5:59 PM
Seen at a recent Jets game:
Phil Sheegl sitting in Shindico's corporate seats. Hmm...

h0twired
Mar 1, 2012, 6:17 PM
Seen at a recent Jets game:
Phil Sheegl sitting in Shindico's corporate seats. Hmm...

Should have taken a picture.

The Jabroni
Mar 2, 2012, 4:45 AM
Wow, we completely destroyed the Panthers tonight. That V formation they did on that 5 on 1 break away was straight out of the Mighty Ducks playbook!

We're still waiting on a hat trick from either Kane or Wheeler this season.

Boreal
Mar 2, 2012, 7:01 AM
This was a much closer game then the 7-0 score would indicate. Pavelec kept us alive during the Panther barrage in the second. We got a nice early goal, and a greasy one a shortly there after to open up a 2-0 lead. The flood gates opened in the 3rd, but I thought it was two periods of really good hockey, and if Fleishmann converted, this could have been a different game.

I'm happy, but this was not our best game. We played better against St. Louis in the shoot out loss in my opinion.

Bdog
Mar 2, 2012, 6:21 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/millions-to-aid-true-north-141154603.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Millions to aid True North

Province, city chip in $6.9M

By: Bartley Kives

Posted: 03/2/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 111 (including replies)

WINNIPEGGERS aren't just cheering for the Jets, they're also funnelling $6.9 million to True North Sports & Entertainment this year through city and provincial subsidies for pro sports teams.

And public support for the NHL club will climb to almost $11 million a year, once the province completes the transfer of 90 VLTs to the vicinity of the MTS Centre.

Winnipeg's 2012 operating budget calls for True North Sports & Entertainment to collect $5.8 million in entertainment-funding taxes, which the company remits to the city and then gets back in the form of a refund. This money is included in the price of Jets tickets and does not affect the city's bottom line, although the city enables the club to levy the 10 per cent charge.

The city does, however, grant True North a full refund on its business taxes, worth $250,000 a year. The city and province also grant the club a 79 per cent discount on property taxes, thanks to a special designation for the MTS Centre as a recreational property instead of as a commercial business. This break amounts to $816,140 under the current property assessment, according to the city.

Together, these mechanisms account for $6.9 million this year. The province is also in the midst of transferring VLTs to the Tavern United pub and, potentially, a cityplace sports bar, and allow the club to retain the gaming revenue from these machines. This contribution will be capped at $4 million a year for 20 years, the province announced in 2011.

Given True North's demonstrated success, it's not clear why two levels of government are supporting the business, said Colin Craig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"I support the Winnipeg Jets, but you have a very, very profitable company. It's legitimate to ask why the taxpayer has to give the Jets special tax breaks," Craig said.

Mayor Sam Katz, however, noted most of the revenue in question would not exist if the NHL did not return to Winnipeg. And a spokesman for Premier Greg Selinger said the city would not be able to support the Jets without the help of the province.

"We are committed to ensuring the long-term viability of this community asset," Selinger's office said in a statement. "The provincial commitment going forward allows True North to focus on the business of running an NHL franchise and entertainment venue, without worrying about the mortgage on the MTS centre."

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Support systems

PUBLIC funding mechanisms that support True North Sports & Entertainment:

City entertainment tax refund: $5.8 million in 2012

Provincial gaming revenue: Up to $4 million a year, for 19 more years

City-provincial property-tax break: $816,140 annually, based on current assessment

City business-tax refund: $250,000 annually

-- sources: City of Winnipeg, Province of Manitoba

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition March 2, 2012 A4

chrisallard5454
Mar 15, 2012, 3:50 AM
Na na na na
na na na na
hey, hey, hey
goodbye!!!!!

Andy6
Apr 6, 2012, 11:40 AM
after losing this evening I thought Claude Noel’s remark that perhaps he should ‘kill’ his players for that bad performance was beyond pathetic. He did nothing this year to improve this team from last years Thrashers ‘efforts’. You can’t fire the whole team...it’s time to fire Noel.

Don't hold your breath for that. True North is about stability, and firing a great coach because you can't think of anything else to do is not how you achieve that.

h0twired
Apr 6, 2012, 1:07 PM
after losing this evening I thought Claude Noel’s remark that perhaps he should ‘kill’ his players for that bad performance was beyond pathetic. He did nothing this year to improve this team from last years Thrashers ‘efforts’. You can’t fire the whole team...it’s time to fire Noel.

Probably the dumbest idea yet.

Noel is just fine. He is a good coach and players like to play for him.

Since day one Chevy and Chipman have said that the first season won't see major changes to the roster. Expect a couple of trades at draft day.

Good teams are built slowly and players are developed.

You don't just fire the coach and sell the young prospects for a star goalie and a couple of snipers.

roccerfeller
Apr 6, 2012, 3:00 PM
Jets first season in Winnipeg for 15 years ends tomorrow! To only think this time last year we were on the outside looking in; heck the last several years we were looking in.

Its cool seeing the NHL back in Winnipeg and be the success story that it is, after years of people doubting certain streams of logic

Now they're talking about Saskatoon being an NHL city.

Talk about a turn-around form the critics.

The Jabroni
Apr 6, 2012, 6:47 PM
Speaking of critics, it's another nail in the coffin for them!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Jets-will-not-need-NHLs-revenue-sharing--146445605.html

h0twired
Apr 6, 2012, 6:54 PM
Now they're talking about Saskatoon being an NHL city.

Not really. Just a bunch of crazies on the Internet.

Saskatoon would have to triple its population before the NHL will find its way there.

Tower Crane
Apr 6, 2012, 9:29 PM
So my beloved jets first season back comes to a close. Chipman says he thinks they are at about number 15 in terms of league revenue just over the revenue sharing line.
That's good and bad....the bad being it was probably the best year the jets could possibly have financially as everyone has bought their jets jersey by now and the barn is full every night.
So based on the model, arena size, etc. are we saying Winnipeg will remain a middle of the pack team financially, is there a way to increase that placing? if so how?

roccerfeller
Apr 7, 2012, 4:34 PM
Not really. Just a bunch of crazies on the Internet.

Saskatoon would have to triple its population before the NHL will find its way there.

My point is they're talking about it.

Last year people were still debating Winnipeg as an NHL city and the feasibility (too small, too small, too small); now Saskatoon which is 3x smaller is being mentioned.

Its entirely (and actually) currently unrealistic, but its funny how the goal posts have been moved just because of Winnipeg's success.

So my beloved jets first season back comes to a close. Chipman says he thinks they are at about number 15 in terms of league revenue just over the revenue sharing line.
That's good and bad....the bad being it was probably the best year the jets could possibly have financially as everyone has bought their jets jersey by now and the barn is full every night.
So based on the model, arena size, etc. are we saying Winnipeg will remain a middle of the pack team financially, is there a way to increase that placing? if so how?

No need to increase seats....

why would they do that? What is the financial sense in it?

And when discussing long term stability, ask that question in 2-4 more years when the first season ticket renewal options come. Never mind the 8000 people waiting on that list.

Right now the MTS Centre is sold out for the next 4 years. That means the Jets are guaranteed revenue for that amount of time; finances aren't even close to an issue for them.

Tower Crane
Apr 8, 2012, 7:58 PM
My point is they're talking about it.

Last year people were still debating Winnipeg as an NHL city and the feasibility (too small, too small, too small); now Saskatoon which is 3x smaller is being mentioned.

Its entirely (and actually) currently unrealistic, but its funny how the goal posts have been moved just because of Winnipeg's success.

No need to increase seats....

why would they do that? What is the financial sense in it?

And when discussing long term stability, ask that question in 2-4 more years when the first season ticket renewal options come. Never mind the 8000 people waiting on that list.

Right now the MTS Centre is sold out for the next 4 years. That means the Jets are guaranteed revenue for that amount of time; finances aren't even close to an issue for them.

I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all, if demand was that high then you need to capitalize on it and the arena should have been 18,000 and you would have still had a waiting list "demand" but you would be benefiting from it financially.
Anyway, right know Winnipeg is taking the smallest arena and smallest market and doing a great job in leveraging that to about the 15th position which is obviously the best that model can do.
I'll I am saying is that general middle of the road revenues equal middle of the road type expenditures which equals middle of the road type teams to come so I was wondering if this model could produce something more than middle of the pack.....if it can't maybe it's a model that can produce just that and nothing more.

rypinion
Apr 8, 2012, 9:45 PM
I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all, if demand was that high then you need to capitalize on it and the arena should have been 18,000 and you would have still had a waiting list "demand" but you would be benefiting from it financially.

Just FYI - You have to pay each year to remain on the waiting list.

Reed Solomon
Apr 9, 2012, 3:51 AM
I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all

They do get other perks for being in the 8000. It's a nice buffer for the team to have. It's not a lot of extra cash for True North though.

Tower Crane
Apr 9, 2012, 3:34 PM
Just FYI - You have to pay each year to remain on the waiting list.

Bums in the seats buying popcorn, peanuts, and beers is what you want not collecting a small waiting list fee. I don't know it sounds to me like you are missing out on all the revenue from at least half of these people which tells me the model has a flaw it's just that no one will ever acknowledge the fact that they built the arena too small.

rypinion
Apr 9, 2012, 3:58 PM
Bums in the seats buying popcorn, peanuts, and beers is what you want not collecting a small waiting list fee. I don't know it sounds to me like you are missing out on all the revenue from at least half of these people which tells me the model has a flaw it's just that no one will ever acknowledge the fact that they built the arena too small.

The ROI on those last 3-5K seats is the lowest. Lowest seats prices and highest construction costs.

Obviously I don't know the exact numbers, but who knows how long it takes to pay off the extra construction to make those extra seats start to profit. I'm guessing it could be a long time - pretty sure that's been the idea most of the time this comes up on here.

Tower Crane
Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
The ROI on those last 3-5K seats is the lowest. Lowest seats prices and highest construction costs.

Obviously I don't know the exact numbers, but who knows how long it takes to pay off the extra construction to make those extra seats start to profit. I'm guessing it could be a long time - pretty sure that's been the idea most of the time this comes up on here.

You build these extra seats into the lower bowl and charge premium prices not build more cheap seats. This is how all new arenas are doing it.

Reed Solomon
Apr 10, 2012, 4:07 AM
I do wish the MTS Centre was at 16K. The footprint probably didn't allow it, and they'll do fine at 15K, but hopefully the city will grow enough that maybe 20-25 years down the line they'll need to build a new arena somewhere. That said, the current arena has years of life ahead of it even if another newer arena is eventually built for the Jets. It's perfect for concerts and will be for a long time to come.

Mininari
Apr 10, 2012, 2:40 PM
This is probably an extremely difficult thing to gauge, but I'd love to know how much net economic benefit the return of the Jets has had to the city and the Province.

Granted people are probably spending less on other things to pay for their restaurant meals / drinks / tickets, etc. But I really wonder how much more of Winnipegger's money stayed in Winnipeg this NHL season, rather than being spent in sunshine destinations like Florida... Phoenix... etc. I would expect that SOME significant percentage of people's disposable income that would normally be spent outside of the city / Province during winter stayed within our local economy. I guess one metric would be to find out if people are ditching / shortening winter-time getaways to stay / pay for their jets games.

All in all, despite any tax breaks, subsidies, preferred loan rates, etc. that True North may be getting (some bozo though they got 170M of goverment money on the WFP comments), I think the net benefit to the local and provincial economy far exceeds them. Besides much of those breaks are on revenues that would not have been there otherwise.

I am really looking forward to see how many more new restaurants, hotels, etc. open up in the coming years... future renos to the MTS Centre (minor or major), as well as team success and city sports pride.

Enjoy03
Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 PM
You build these extra seats into the lower bowl and charge premium prices not build more cheap seats. This is how all new arenas are doing it.

Where do you build them, there's just not enough room down there to add hundreds of seats. Besides, 15 000 is plenty, we don't really need that many more anyways

Bdog
Apr 14, 2012, 5:24 PM
Anyone catch this ridiculous article in the Globe yesterday??? Hahaha - random fan meets Noel at Stella's, and then claims the coach asked him for help motivating specific players, claims that Noel said Burmi should have been in the minors, etc... The best part - the Globe runs with it, and prints it as a story! Amazing! It's not even April Fool's!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/jets-season-ticket-holder-gets-inside-track-from-coach-noel/article2402393/

Noel asked Duboff if he knew “how to motivate [forward Nik] Antropov so that he plays with passion more than just a few games.”

he told me that he really gave it to [forward Alexander] Burmistrov and that he really has to pick his game up next season

The GST line [Tanner Glass, Jim Slater and Chris Thorburn] should be a fourth line, not third

Forward “Jason Jaffray [also with the St. John's Ice Caps] is too slow for the NHL

h0twired
Apr 14, 2012, 9:01 PM
Anyone catch this ridiculous article in the Globe yesterday??? Hahaha - random fan meets Noel at Stella's, and then claims the coach asked him for help motivating specific players, claims that Noel said Burmi should have been in the minors, etc... The best part - the Globe runs with it, and prints it as a story! Amazing! It's not even April Fool's!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/jets-season-ticket-holder-gets-inside-track-from-coach-noel/article2402393/

Chuck Duboff was my English teacher at Maples Collegiate.

He is a piece of work to say the least.

I saw Mark Chipman at Marcello's at lunch on Friday. However I had the sense to just let him get his lunch without being pestered by a fan.

rrskylar
Jun 1, 2012, 4:52 AM
It's been a year since the big announcement, anyone have any comments?

PS TrueViking or anyone else in the KNOW, what happened to the entertainment district that was supposed to materialize with the return of the Jets?

Biff
Jun 1, 2012, 1:00 PM
It's been a year since the big announcement, anyone have any comments?

PS TrueViking or anyone else in the KNOW, what happened to the entertainment district that was supposed to materialize with the return of the Jets?

The first of the Funnelators should be making an appearance later this summer, the Met Theater redevelopment is well underway, CentrePoint is well underway, the Convention Centre plans should be public by late summer/fall, the MPI Graham Ave parking lot development should be made public early fall and the sports bar in CityPlace should start in late summer/fall.

There is lots currently going on and lots coming. You have to remember two of the largest portions of the SHED District are huge, very complex projects with lots of players involved. They take some time. I have seen a couple of the proposals and believe me, they are very impressive and will definitely alter the feel of the area involved.

Flavelle103
Jun 1, 2012, 3:52 PM
the sports bar in CityPlace should start in late summer/fall.

kind of surprising True North wouldn't be working on this space sooner, to have it ready for hockey season. Unless they're confident there will be a lengthy lockout?

h0twired
Jun 1, 2012, 5:43 PM
kind of surprising True North wouldn't be working on this space sooner, to have it ready for hockey season. Unless they're confident there will be a lengthy lockout?

Is the sports bar even owned by True North?

I thought that it was just going to be another Shark Club location.

Flavelle103
Jun 1, 2012, 5:45 PM
pretty sure True North will own the bar, even if it's a Shark Club franchise. think that's where they want to put the extra VLTs the province gave them. The space in cityplace is stripped down to concrete, but no action.

CoryB
Jun 1, 2012, 5:48 PM

While it would be great to have everything in place for the start of the season I would rather they take the time needed to find the best fit. Seeing the clips again of Bettman at the return announcement last year I thing there were a lot of doubters. Seeing the success over the whole season though likely has eased some of that and made it easier to negotiate with the desired partners.

rrskylar
Jun 17, 2012, 4:07 AM
FYI for those who also frequent the HF Boards, Dave played a part in getting TNSE to name the team '' the Jets" upon their return.

RIP Dave Kehler aka dkehler

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1208533

rrskylar
Dec 9, 2012, 5:45 PM
Metro? ;) Burmi chilli'n last week.

http://instagram.com/p/S6iG2mBd9U

ILYR
Dec 10, 2012, 5:57 AM
What to do when the NHL starts up again?

That is a question I have for the people on this forum. Everyone up for a discussion?

I think it is an interesting one, specifically for Jets fans that went 17 years without their team. For me, at the end of the day I support the Jets. Not the owners or players, but the Jets. So this brings up a difficult question. As with many fans I am rather $^%$^ with the present situation and would like very much to show the players and owners my displeasure.

So the question to everyone here is how should Jets fans collectively respond when the NHL returns?

Bluenote
Dec 10, 2012, 6:04 AM

That is a question I have for the people on this forum. Everyone up for a discussion?

I think it is an interesting one, specifically for Jets fans that went 17 years without their team. For me, at the end of the day I support the Jets. Not the owners or players, but the Jets. So this brings up a difficult question. As with many fans I am rather $^%$^ with the present situation and would like very much to show the players and owners my displeasure.

So the question to everyone here is how should Jets fans collectively respond when the NHL returns?
I will be sitting in me season ticket seat, simple as that.:tup:

rypinion
Dec 10, 2012, 6:21 AM

I've been trying to figure out a way to boo the players but still support the Jets franchise (from my season seats). I'm glad now that I didn't put a player name/number on the back of my jersey and I think it's gonna stay that way.

Bluenote
Dec 10, 2012, 6:29 AM
I've been trying to figure out a way to boo the players but still support the Jets franchise (from my season seats). I'm glad now that I didn't put a player name/number on the back of my jersey and I think it's gonna stay that way.

See the Jets except for a few, are not on board with all this, neither are our owners, we just got caught up in this mess, it is big owners, with big players that are making the suffering teams hurt. At least we are lucky here as we have such a great fan base and a great ownership. Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play.

So dont BOO the team. Boo the idiots that are sitting at the tables drinking it up and bickering over sweet ^%& all. Because it doesn't hurt them at all.

The league as in the players should have been made up of anyone payed under $1mil, not these over paid idiots. And for the team owners, people like chipman. This would have been solved by now.

wags_in_the_peg
Dec 10, 2012, 7:02 PM
Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play..

BS on that, where do you get that info from??? Ladd has been on radio numerous times saying the players are getting screwed and they need to remain in solidarity. and Buff has been 100% silent through all this. No one has seen or heard from him since he was in court late summer.

Hainsey will be boo'd and well deserves it. Although I think his contract is up so unless it gets settled, you may not even see him next year. (which is a good thing for the Jets and the $4mill he's taking up).

h0twired
Dec 10, 2012, 7:13 PM
Talk to Ladd or even Buffy, they are not one bit on board, they just want to play.

BS

Ladd was the first one to hammer on Jokinen after he made negative comments about the NHLPA and the lockout.

Reed Solomon
Dec 10, 2012, 7:33 PM
BS

Ladd was the first one to hammer on Jokinen after he made negative comments about the NHLPA and the lockout.

We're 100% on board behind Donald Fehr

Because any player who says otherwise is shut down and peer pressured into it.

rrskylar
Dec 10, 2012, 9:08 PM
Hainsey will be boo'd and well deserves it. Although I think his contract is up so unless it gets settled, you may not even see him next year. (which is a good thing for the Jets and the $4mill he's taking up).

Hainsey isn't really that good especially for what he is being paid, as the number 4 D man he is just adequate and probably only worth $2-$2.5 million/per.

Mininari
Jan 18, 2013, 3:46 AM
:previous: agreed on that.
About the MTS Centre: does anyone know of any upgrades / improvements that we could expect to see this season? I've hear rumours of improved bathrooms, a new scoreboard, painting the white walls around the corporate boxes, etc., but there is no official list of improvements. I heard something about better urinals on TSN 1290, but that is about it.

roccerfeller
Jan 18, 2013, 4:23 AM
:previous: agreed on that.
About the MTS Centre: does anyone know of any upgrades / improvements that we could expect to see this season? I've hear rumours of improved bathrooms, a new scoreboard, painting the white walls around the corporate boxes, etc., but there is no official list of improvements. I heard something about better urinals on TSN 1290, but that is about it.

There are some, but its all minor stuff, mainly on 300 level, and general "cosmetic" stuff, aiui:

On 300 level:
- Sound system upgrades
- TV installments for obstructed seat STHs and concourse area
- there should also be more urinals, maybe not in time for this season though but they're aware it's an issue

100 level:
- more urinals
- additional food options
- refined/added exits

In general:
- cosmetic/painting
- WiFi will be much faster, improved
- Cellular reception will be better, signals boosted & improved

I'm sure someone else can add/edit/expand that list

As I understand it, they're pretty good with knowing what they need to improve or where their problem issues are

By the way Mini, something I wanted to ask you...you're from Edmonton originally correct? Or was it Vancouver? Are you a Jets fan instead of your hometown team? If so, why is that?

Mininari
Jan 18, 2013, 5:06 AM
There are some, but its all minor stuff, mainly on 300 level, and general "cosmetic" stuff, aiui:

On 300 level:
- Sound system upgrades
- TV installments for obstructed seat STHs and concourse area
- there should also be more urinals, maybe not in time for this season though but they're aware it's an issue

100 level:
- more urinals
- additional food options
- refined/added exits

In general:
- cosmetic/painting
- WiFi will be much faster, improved
- Cellular reception will be better, signals boosted & improved

I'm sure someone else can add/edit/expand that list

As I understand it, they're pretty good with knowing what they need to improve or where their problem issues are

By the way Mini, something I wanted to ask you...you're from Edmonton originally correct? Or was it Vancouver? Are you a Jets fan instead of your hometown team? If so, why is that?

Thanks for the list.
I'm originally from Vancouver, and yes, I've been an avid Canucks fan since I was a kid. When I moved here, I naturally followed the Moose given they were the Canuck's farm team... it was kind of fun to go watch the 'prospects' and the Calder cup run was a lot of fun. Now with the Jets back, I'm following two teams... one in the East and one in the West. I've made a lot of friends here, and hence Winnipeg feels like a second home to me now. Furthermore, I feel all that rhetoric about 'too small a market, corporate support is not there' etc was pure BS, but at the same time, I'll throw my support behind the 'smallest market' (although the revenues don't say smallest!). Like comparing cities, I feel the Jets have a lot more potential and room to grow than Vancouver does (its only downhill from here for the Canucks). Nonetheless, I'll be watching both the Jets and the Canucks games this Saturday.

Seems a lot of people in the city have two allegiances now (Oilers, Flames, Leafs, etc), and I'm not surprised given the 15-year period where kids grew up following other teams.

Heck, I'm pulling for Quebec City now :D

roccerfeller
Jan 18, 2013, 5:40 AM
Thanks for the list.
I'm originally from Vancouver, and yes, I've been an avid Canucks fan since I was a kid. When I moved here, I naturally followed the Moose given they were the Canuck's farm team... it was kind of fun to go watch the 'prospects' and the Calder cup run was a lot of fun. Now with the Jets back, I'm following two teams... one in the East and one in the West. I've made a lot of friends here, and hence Winnipeg feels like a second home to me now. Furthermore, I feel all that rhetoric about 'too small a market, corporate support is not there' etc was pure BS, but at the same time, I'll throw my support behind the 'smallest market' (although the revenues don't say smallest!). Like comparing cities, I feel the Jets have a lot more potential and room to grow than Vancouver does (its only downhill from here for the Canucks). Nonetheless, I'll be watching both the Jets and the Canucks games this Saturday.

Seems a lot of people in the city have two allegiances now (Oilers, Flames, Leafs, etc), and I'm not surprised given the 15-year period where kids grew up following other teams.

Heck, I'm pulling for Quebec City now :D

Ah Vancouver, that's right! Sorry about that

Yeah I have a bunch of Canucks buddies here (in Winnipeg) too. A lot of people I know followed the Nucks seeing as, just like you said, the Moose were here. Tons of people have double team allegiances especially yeah. I liked em, was a Canuck bandwagoner during their cup run. Though I also like the Bruins haha.

I was ultimately a Habs fan during the jets' absence, still like em given their rich history, but once the Jets came back it was like a switch changed all former "fondness" and loyalties to other teams...as a young'un was a big Jets & Nords guy upon arrival in Canada (I didn't even live in MB or QC but I think I just loved the names...colours...major stars like Teemu and Sakic),...I too am pulling for QC to get back an NHL franchise. Sucked major for me as a kid, even though I was young I was still attached to those two clubs, when they both moved. I remember being upset Teemu was traded away and feeling hurt the Cup was won by the "Avs" that year. Was a weird year, 1996.

Anyway it's interesting to see. Love hearing people's perspectives who have other team favorites etc. especially when they're from other NHL markets originally. But you're a unique one considering you're essentially a proud winnipegger yet you've seen more rainy winters than snowy ones ;)

Mininari
Jan 18, 2013, 4:27 PM
Ah Vancouver, that's right! Sorry about that

Yeah I have a bunch of Canucks buddies here (in Winnipeg) too. A lot of people I know followed the Nucks seeing as, just like you said, the Moose were here. Tons of people have double team allegiances especially yeah. I liked em, was a Canuck bandwagoner during their cup run. Though I also like the Bruins haha.

I was ultimately a Habs fan during the jets' absence, still like em given their rich history, but once the Jets came back it was like a switch changed all former "fondness" and loyalties to other teams...as a young'un was a big Jets & Nords guy upon arrival in Canada (I didn't even live in MB or QC but I think I just loved the names...colours...major stars like Teemu and Sakic),...I too am pulling for QC to get back an NHL franchise. Sucked major for me as a kid, even though I was young I was still attached to those two clubs, when they both moved. I remember being upset Teemu was traded away and feeling hurt the Cup was won by the "Avs" that year. Was a weird year, 1996.

Anyway it's interesting to see. Love hearing people's perspectives who have other team favorites etc. especially when they're from other NHL markets originally. But you're a unique one considering you're essentially a proud winnipegger yet you've seen more rainy winters than snowy ones ;)

Yes, and thanks for your kind words! I've been quite enjoying life here -- and since I'm a weather geek by trade, I really don't mind the winters. In fact, the grey and rain on the coast is actually quite boring compared to the four seasons that we get here. I love having access to free outdoor rinks whenever they're available, and can't wait to take my son out onto them (he's still a bit small).

As for my original question... seems all I had to do was wait a night.
Answers below:

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
JETCETERA: MTS Centre amps up volume for Jets games

By: Geoff Kirbyson

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 44 | Last Modified: 9:40 AM | Updates

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/video/mts-centre-amps-up-volume-for-jets-games-187421291.html

The budget for all the pre-season changes is into seven figures, but it was nearly $10 million last year. Donnelly said reinvestment in the building will be a regular occurrence.

Bluenote
Jan 18, 2013, 5:19 PM
I like you two fellows, grew up watching the Jets and at the time for me was the Islanders ( this was when they were a good team winning the cup lol ). My days were the 80's with all the big names back then. I will always remember when the Jets made the payoffs with the Oilers, this was when the Oilers were the top team no less. And we won 3 straight, then lost 4 straight and they went on to win the Cup.

I have always found the old Jets and the New Jets, a odd team though. We can beat the BEST teams in the league, but when it comes to the bottom feeders, we lose. But I always love watching a WPG / Flyers game, always exciting.

And best of all, I scored two tickets for Feb 5th game against the Panthers. And 3rd row no less. Last year i only got one game in, but was cool as I was in the 8th row behind the net, it was a bad game against the Hurricanes but being so close to feel like you could touch Pav and the rest was thrilling as when I was a kid and tickets were CHEAP, I was as some may remember always up in the Mcdonalds section.

But I think this will be a good season, when I look back at last year we did fabulous in the first half, we were fighting for 3rd place even. Then the second half came and we fell apart for awhile. But given the short season, this may prove to be a bonus to us and I have a lot of faith in Joker, and Scheiff, and of course our new Goalie. I just hope they do not over tax Pav like they did last year as Montoya is a great goalie, he just had a shitty team in front of him. Kinda like poor Price does on the Habs.

bomberjet
Jan 18, 2013, 6:29 PM
Please oh please everybody stop booing the opposing players at the game. Looks terrible on the fans. A bunch of arrogant, whiny babies. You think it's getting under their skin? All it does is make the city look bad. So boo them and make sure they never want to play in Winnipeg?

Shinook
Jan 18, 2013, 6:39 PM
Please oh please everybody stop booing the opposing players at the game. Looks terrible on the fans. A bunch of arrogant, whiny babies. You think it's getting under their skin? All it does is make the city look bad. So boo them and make sure they never want to play in Winnipeg?

I think it's great that we boo the opposing players and mess with opposing fans minds like we do. It creates a hostile environment for other teams to play in and hopefully puts them on edge. I don't think it makes our fanbase looks bad but more intimidating. I don't want an atmosphere of "hey look it's the other team. Let's help them to relax and encourage them to play well". There is enough of that coddling tripe in the rest of the leagues teams buildings. And I hope that it does make players of opposing teams aggrivated to play at the MTS Centre. That means that the strategy is working.

Mininari
Jan 18, 2013, 8:14 PM
I think it's great that we boo the opposing players and mess with opposing fans minds like we do. It creates a hostile environment for other teams to play in and hopefully puts them on edge. I don't think it makes our fanbase looks bad but more intimidating. I don't want an atmosphere of "hey look it's the other team. Let's help them to relax and encourage them to play well". There is enough of that coddling tripe in the rest of the leagues teams buildings. And I hope that it does make players of opposing teams aggrivated to play at the MTS Centre. That means that the strategy is working.

"Crosby's Better... Crosby's Better"

"Silver medal... Silver medal..."

Everyone knows where these chants started. Not to mention the now immortal "TRUE NORTH!"

I think its awesome -- ask any hockey player (or ref) how much trash talking there is in a typical game, and having crowd participation is all part of the game. Besides, its no different than taunting a goalie, and every city does that... (except those that don't have enough fans show up to regular season games... ).

rypinion
Jan 18, 2013, 8:40 PM
To me (this could be completely irrational) in hockey it seems perfectly fine to 'boo' and jeer the opposition, so I do partake while I'm in the stands.

However, at football games, I don't ever boo and hate it when others do. Not sure why, guess the atmosphere seems different.

bomberjet
Jan 18, 2013, 9:40 PM
We had some good chants going. Obviously the Ovie and Miller chants were gold. True North chant is great.

I just don't see a need everytime Stamkos, Alfredsson or Sedin touches the puck, that everyone needs to boo. Seems childish to me. Go to the game, have fun, drink and cheer all you want. Just being obnoxious to boo one guy all game, all season long. You boo Stamkos and he still scores 60 on ya.

To actually pay attention and look for a guy to come on the ice just to boo? C'mon. Why would you even boo Stamkos? Great Canadian kid, superstar in the league and you boo to get under his skin. He's actually doing a better job distracting you from the game you're watching than he is distracted on the ice. He doesn't here you guys. He's too busy scoring goals.

You ever been to another NHL city where everyone says Winnipeg fans are a bunch of clowns for booing everybody? Ya I have, more than one.

chrisallard5454
Jan 18, 2013, 9:44 PM
You ever been to another NHL city where everyone says Winnipeg fans are a bunch of clowns for booing everybody? Ya I have, more than one.

I have as well, but in those same cities I have heard talk of how Winnipeg fans are among the most passionate, loud and knowledgable in the league. I think in terms of booing, we as Winnipeggers take our role as the sixth player very seriously. Some people may find it un-classy, but others revere us for it.
Neither opinion matters honestly. I say you should just do what you are comfortable doing, and let the rest go. There will always be ney-sayers about anything.

Bluenote
Jan 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
Come on , Sedin had his worst year last year, look at his scoring the year before, and then after the Jets come back LOL. Maybe we had something to do with him falling on his face and coming down to his brothers same score.

And I have been to hockey games in other citys, I have seen many Americans, and especially TO fans who are horrid as they BOO their OWN team.
And how many times do you hear a NHL player saying how much he would love to have the fans we have, ( A LOT ). The only other city that can compare to our fan base is the Habs Fans.

Personally I do not boo though, as I am to fixated on the game ( tunnel vision ) lol.

bomberjet
Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM
To each there own. We have passionate fans, that I agree on (and am hugely grateful for!) I, however, will not be booing tomorrow.

And I was just using Sedin as an example. Too soft, hence the no show in the Finals against Boston.

Bluenote
Jan 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
To each there own. We have passionate fans, that I agree on (and am hugely grateful for!) I, however, will not be booing tomorrow.

And I was just using Sedin as an example. Too soft, hence the no show in the Finals against Boston.

It is all good sir, like you said, to each their own.:tup:
I am just happy this stupid lockout is over and we can get on with our team building. Because to be honest, I think we have a good team now, some of them to young still, but one day they will be mature enough. But I think we will make the Playoffs this year and shut TSN's projections of us coming in LAST....:uhh:

Biff
Jan 19, 2013, 12:01 AM
Hey, TSN predicted Ottawa would finish last, last season and they had a really nice run in the playoffs last year taking the Rangers to game 7.

roccerfeller
Jan 19, 2013, 1:51 AM
Yes, and thanks for your kind words! I've been quite enjoying life here -- and since I'm a weather geek by trade, I really don't mind the winters. In fact, the grey and rain on the coast is actually quite boring compared to the four seasons that we get here. I love having access to free outdoor rinks whenever they're available, and can't wait to take my son out onto them (he's still a bit small).

Its certainly a change from the coast...nice to see you're enjoying your time in the Peg. And, this point reminds me I need to grab a new pair of Skates soon!

I like you two fellows, grew up watching the Jets and at the time for me was the Islanders ( this was when they were a good team winning the cup lol ). My days were the 80's with all the big names back then. I will always remember when the Jets made the payoffs with the Oilers, this was when the Oilers were the top team no less. And we won 3 straight, then lost 4 straight and they went on to win the Cup.

I have always found the old Jets and the New Jets, a odd team though. We can beat the BEST teams in the league, but when it comes to the bottom feeders, we lose. But I always love watching a WPG / Flyers game, always exciting.

And best of all, I scored two tickets for Feb 5th game against the Panthers. And 3rd row no less. Last year i only got one game in, but was cool as I was in the 8th row behind the net, it was a bad game against the Hurricanes but being so close to feel like you could touch Pav and the rest was thrilling as when I was a kid and tickets were CHEAP, I was as some may remember always up in the Mcdonalds section.

But I think this will be a good season, when I look back at last year we did fabulous in the first half, we were fighting for 3rd place even. Then the second half came and we fell apart for awhile. But given the short season, this may prove to be a bonus to us and I have a lot of faith in Joker, and Scheiff, and of course our new Goalie. I just hope they do not over tax Pav like they did last year as Montoya is a great goalie, he just had a shitty team in front of him. Kinda like poor Price does on the Habs.

It certainly is amazing how much the NHL has changed from the 80s to 90s, to now in the second decade of the 00s. Good call on Montoya....boggles my mind that he was essentially let go. The kid was a first round pick!! (6th overall in 04!) He just wasn't developed well, and there was no patience with his injury history.

Hopefully we can keep him around here as a Jet, develop him, and he might be able to truly shine through as originally intended. I always felt Montoya had a ton of potential, just was mishandled by previous management (Rangers didn't develop him properly)

I love our fans.

As long as Jets fans don't become annoying (like Rider fans) then its all good.

I think sometimes those chants can bite us back though...like booing Eric Staal really came back to bite us.

Overall, I agree though, it does make MTSC a hostile place which I like. Winnipeggers have a hockey grudge anyway. We have a lot of pent up hockey cheers and jeers that need to get vented!

"Crosby's Better... Crosby's Better"

"Silver medal... Silver medal..."

Everyone knows where these chants started. Not to mention the now immortal "TRUE NORTH!"

I think its awesome -- ask any hockey player (or ref) how much trash talking there is in a typical game, and having crowd participation is all part of the game. Besides, its no different than taunting a goalie, and every city does that... (except those that don't have enough fans show up to regular season games... ).

My fav overall was when Selanne came back...the booing each player followed by cheering Teemu...was just so awesome.

We had some good chants going. Obviously the Ovie and Miller chants were gold. True North chant is great.

I just don't see a need everytime Stamkos, Alfredsson or Sedin touches the puck, that everyone needs to boo. Seems childish to me. Go to the game, have fun, drink and cheer all you want. Just being obnoxious to boo one guy all game, all season long. You boo Stamkos and he still scores 60 on ya.

To actually pay attention and look for a guy to come on the ice just to boo? C'mon. Why would you even boo Stamkos? Great Canadian kid, superstar in the league and you boo to get under his skin. He's actually doing a better job distracting you from the game you're watching than he is distracted on the ice. He doesn't here you guys. He's too busy scoring goals.

I agree with that aspect - it can come back and bite you in the ass, but its tough to say... I felt some boos were well placed, others were sort of questionable or pushing it. The crowd is still figuring itself though, I feel. Its still fresh.

I honestly don't see how its too different than Habs fans - they can get downright nasty with opposing teams sometimes. But its what makes the fanbase so passionate.

I'd rather we create a hostile territory, but I don't disagree with your assertion either; I think its quite valid.

The clown thing though? That's just jealousy ;)

I have as well, but in those same cities I have heard talk of how Winnipeg fans are among the most passionate, loud and knowledgable in the league. I think in terms of booing, we as Winnipeggers take our role as the sixth player very seriously. Some people may find it un-classy, but others revere us for it.
Neither opinion matters honestly. I say you should just do what you are comfortable doing, and let the rest go. There will always be ney-sayers about anything.

Yep, pretty much this is how I see it too.

Hey, TSN predicted Ottawa would finish last, last season and they had a really nice run in the playoffs last year taking the Rangers to game 7.

I don't really mind if we end up last, to be honest. We're a team thats going to build through the draft, so high picks ain't a bad thing.

That said, I do believe we are being underestimated. Theres some serious talent on the team. But with some key players out, such as Bogo, a strong start does become a longer shot.

roccerfeller
May 7, 2013, 10:28 PM
its amazing going through the history of this thread, form first page till now. Good times.

Anyone hoping the Jets introduce a 3rd jersey this upcoming season?

chrisallard5454
May 7, 2013, 11:17 PM
They have already introduced an alternate jersey that would be cool for the team to use. They are pure black, with blue stripes on the arms. Very nice in my opinion.

kylbaz
May 8, 2013, 7:05 AM
They have already introduced an alternate jersey that would be cool for the team to use. They are pure black, with blue stripes on the arms. Very nice in my opinion.

Where are you getting this from? I find it hard to believe.

chrisallard5454
May 8, 2013, 10:29 AM
Where are you getting this from? I find it hard to believe.

I am getting it from my two eyes. Go to any of the Jets Gear stores and you will see. I personally go to the one in the MTS Centre. And my bad, they are grey stripes on the arms with blue lining the logo.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsKBH-Uf7CFiMY4L52hmcuccGZXmUcR5E43E9O8OIOXyc0hK9FNg

fitzy0019
May 8, 2013, 12:34 PM
those are the NHL black ice series jerseys. you can get every nhl team in the style, not a third jersey.

h0twired
May 8, 2013, 1:21 PM
those are the NHL black ice series jerseys. you can get every nhl team in the style, not a third jersey.

Exactly.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/ed/ed2f05a01ed3ab46896aafd8a455ac08/pass_or_fail_the_neon_gloom_of_reebok_nhl_black_ice_jerseys.jpg

chrisallard5454
May 8, 2013, 1:37 PM
Exactly.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/ed/ed2f05a01ed3ab46896aafd8a455ac08/pass_or_fail_the_neon_gloom_of_reebok_nhl_black_ice_jerseys.jpg

Interesting. Didn't know that. I saw them and I liked them that was about all there was to it. Though if every team has them, the appeal is lost on me.

fitzy0019
May 8, 2013, 4:38 PM
Interesting. Didn't know that. I saw them and I liked them that was about all there was to it. Though if every team has them, the appeal is lost on me.

still a cool collectors item for your favorite team if youre into jerseys

Boreal
May 8, 2013, 10:45 PM
Those Black Ice jerseys are some sort of awful.

vid
May 8, 2013, 11:04 PM
I think they look cool, but what do I know? I'm just a homosexual graphic designer with a sharp focus on aesthetics and understanding of colour theory. AKA, "completely out of touch with what people actually want".

"Can you use comic sans? That makes it look friendly. Then add a lens flare, because we're cutting edge!!"

The Jabroni
May 8, 2013, 11:28 PM
I actually like those jerseys. Almost something out of Star Trek with all the different colours in basically the same uniform. Kind of gives it a thought that in the end, the hockey players are in the same league aiming to win for the same thing, which would be the Stanley Cup.

Le-TanK-
May 9, 2013, 7:52 PM
lmao jets lmao

Cyro
May 30, 2013, 10:29 PM
Positive news,imo...

Winnipeg Jets announce new ECHL affiliate

The Winnipeg Jets have a new ECHL affiliate.

The NHL club announced Thursday that California’s Ontario Reign will be one of the team’s minor league partners for the 2013-14 season

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/30/winnipeg-jets-announce-new-echl-affiliate

Cyro
Sep 14, 2013, 6:11 PM
This is a difficult fit for deciding on the tread to place in but I'm sure this thread will come up soon with the pre-season officially underway tonite. Most Jets season ticket holders are aware of upgrades at MTS this year and so in, but here are a few.

7 year multi million $$ upgrades to MTS will start his year.
Some additions listed. More details to follow.

New washrooms
HD Score Board
New Concessions/vendors/Food etc. on multiple levels
Climate Controlled Vestibule at Portage/Donald
Retail Expansion /New Retail Additions

Should be an interesting tilt tonite with the majority of our prospects/rookies in the line up.
(CBC) National Coverage. PVR Jets and Bombers? Hmmmm

esquire
Sep 14, 2013, 6:21 PM
7 year multi million $$ upgrades to MTS will start his year.
Some additions listed. More details to follow.

New washrooms
HD Score Board
New Concessions/vendors/Food etc. on multiple levels
Climate Controlled Vestibule at Portage/Donald
Retail Expansion /New Retail Additions

One other big aspect of the changes to the MTS Centre is the fact that the 2nd level skywalk area along Portage Avenue is effectively going to become part of the concourse, i.e. it will be a ticketed area so that you can actually now easily move between the upper and lower levels. There will be concessions, etc. in that space as well. This is a great idea because the MTS Centre is generally pretty cramped, and that rather large space was going unused for the most part during games.

I wonder if the HD scoreboard will be a totally new thing or if they're just going to swap out the display panels in the existing unit? I hope it's the former... I always thought that we had a very small scoreboard by modern NHL standards. Ours was pretty awesome by 2004 AHL standards, but it's a bit underwhelming today.

It's nice to see the MTS Centre get these kinds of tweaks. Given that it is now 9 years old and home to a NHL team, a few improvements are in order.

Cyro
Sep 14, 2013, 6:33 PM
One other big aspect of the changes to the MTS Centre is the fact that the 2nd level skywalk area along Portage Avenue is effectively going to become part of the concourse, i.e. it will be a ticketed area so that you can actually now easily move between the upper and lower levels. There will be concessions, etc. in that space as well. This is a great idea because the MTS Centre is generally pretty cramped, and that rather large space was going unused for the most part during games.

Yes, I like this addition as well, punch you ticket one time as you enter, and mingle with fans from all concourse levels ,beverage in hand through out the game.Good move by TNorth.

Cyro
Sep 27, 2013, 11:06 PM
What's with the non-sellout in Saskatoon tonite, for Boston vs. Jets?
I've been hearing so much about Sask. wanting an NHL franchise but I'm hearing the tickets are a wee bit too expensive, be it pre-season? It's the Bruins.Sask. Oh well maybe in a decade or 2.

Jets...3-2

I had to, from HF boards,YWGinYYZ , I'm going to log off now

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/misc/ladd_vs_bruins.jpg

Danny D Oh
Sep 29, 2013, 5:08 AM
Nice to have all that space. Could use some tables and benches. Hard to eat a Jet dog without.

rrskylar
Sep 29, 2013, 5:19 AM
What's with the non-sellout in Saskatoon tonite, for Boston vs. Jets?
I've been hearing so much about Sask. wanting an NHL franchise but I'm hearing the tickets are a wee bit too expensive, be it pre-season? It's the Bruins.Sask. Oh well maybe in a decade or 2.

Jets...3-2

I had to, from HF boards,YWGinYYZ , I'm going to log off now

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/misc/ladd_vs_bruins.jpg

Hey Cyro, who are you on HFboards, guess it's easy to figure out who I am;) Viking and roccer post there as well

Jets4Life
Sep 29, 2013, 5:48 AM
Fire Noel.

rrskylar
Sep 29, 2013, 6:14 AM
Fire Noel.

If the Jets have a losing record at Christmas Noel is gone.

Cyro
Sep 29, 2013, 8:57 PM
Hey Cyro, who are you on HFboards, guess it's easy to figure out who I am;) Viking and roccer post there as well

lol, yeah, cant miss u or ur posts;) noticed a few others from this forum as well. Sometimes it's hard to tell but posters usually have the same style and mannerisms even if you take away an avatar or handle. Me I stay pretty much "Anonymous", but I do follow HF.:cheers:

ps: Give Noel untill Christmas! See what I did there Noel/Christmas? Actually I picked that up from your post.

"If the Jets have a losing record at Christmas Noel is gone." :haha:
>> Noel another word for Christmas.....anyway...long incoherent post. I hope the boys are bonding up in Banff they do need some together time.

Cyro
Oct 1, 2013, 9:45 PM
Oilers vs. Jets tonite? Jokinen with 3, Wright with 3 final 6-1..Other notes: Oiler fans will be outraged when Winnipeg fans "scream "True North" during the anthem. That's all I have.

Biff
Oct 2, 2013, 1:26 PM
Lets see:

Trouba for Hansey
Frolik for Mittens
Scheifele for Antropov
Setoguchi for Wellwood

I know it is only game one but Chevy looks like he has definitely improved the team.

bomberjet
Oct 2, 2013, 1:31 PM
Lets see:

Trouba for Hansey
Frolik for Mittens
Scheifele for Antropov
Setoguchi for Wellwood

I know it is only game one but Chevy looks like he has definitely improved the team.

Completely agree. It's not even that Frolik and Setoguchi are superstars or anything. It's the guys they replaced that is important. Solid players though. Looked good last night! Trouba!! What a shot by Scheifele on the first goal, too.

rrskylar
Oct 2, 2013, 1:44 PM
Lets see:

Trouba for Hansey
Frolik for Mittens
Scheifele for Antropov
Setoguchi for Wellwood

Except that Mittens, Antro and Wellwood were hardly NHL'ers anymore, throw in the underachieving head case Burmi as players that have been upgraded and we know have a team the will make the play off's.

Cyro
Oct 2, 2013, 4:48 PM
Except that Mittens, Antro and Wellwood were hardly NHL'ers anymore, throw in the underachieving head case Burmi as players that have been upgraded and we know have a team the will make the play off's.

Accurate assessment, anyway the quality time they spent in Banff with thier team (shrink) seems to have have paid off. Edmonton's first home opening loss since 2009 I believe.
1st game of the season but I did enjoy thier (not give up attitude). Setting us up for a good game here against L.A this week.

Cyro
Oct 11, 2013, 9:08 PM
Win tonite Jets...for *************, I'm calm all will be good.

bomberjet
Oct 11, 2013, 9:36 PM
Win tonite Jets...for *************, I'm calm all will be good.

Win face-offs and then shoot the puck. The key to winning lol

Biff
Oct 12, 2013, 1:29 AM
If I am posting here when the game is on, you know they are getting killed. Third terrible game in a row.

chrisallard5454
Oct 12, 2013, 2:41 AM
Third terrible first period. I personally think the second started to swing in our favour and by the third we found that flare that we know we have. We ended up outshooting them marginally.

Biggest pet peeve is their defensive style of play to start. Their formation is as if they are constantly on a penalty kill. It shows by the fact that they have trouble shooting.

Cyro
Oct 12, 2013, 5:51 PM
Hmm only 4-1.........:hell: