PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95

Oilkountry
Apr 6, 2016, 4:09 AM
Any new upgrades coming to the MTS centre this summer?

all seats cushions replaced and covers are being changed to blue. bunch of new tv's throughout the concourse, True seamless glass to fix the loge obstructions and the arm rests are being raised to match the seats in the 300s and New retractable decking in the lower bowl

esquire
Apr 10, 2016, 6:48 PM
Another season in the books, 35-39-8.

Is it fair to say that this was the most boring one yet? I don't know how the people in Edmonton put up with this kind of thing year after year after year.

bomberjet
Apr 10, 2016, 7:04 PM
It was rather boring in terms of on ice play. The Ladd and buff stories, young guns or lack of, draft lottery kept it interesting for me.

RepomanYWG
Apr 10, 2016, 7:25 PM
I watched right to the end and have to say I think the future looks bright. The 27-55-26 line was dominant down the stretch. The 19-9-40 all rookie line was very good as well. Lots of competition in camp next year. Lets see where we end up drafting and if any moves are made in the off season.

Bluenote
Apr 10, 2016, 9:52 PM
I watched right to the end and have to say I think the future looks bright. The 27-55-26 line was dominant down the stretch. The 19-9-40 all rookie line was very good as well. Lots of competition in camp next year. Lets see where we end up drafting and if any moves are made in the off season.

I agree. It was actually good they sucked as it gave so many of the prospects a chance to shine. We got rid of a decaying Andrew Ladd and secured Big Buff. Now we just need to remove the last boat anchor. Mr Andre Spazloc

The Jabroni
Apr 11, 2016, 3:13 AM

The "Schwheehlers" Line is what I'd call it. ;)

factis
May 2, 2016, 2:17 PM
So I guess we'll be watching Patrik Laine at the Bell MTS Centre?

bomberjet
May 2, 2016, 2:25 PM
Haha looks like it.

Cyro
May 2, 2016, 7:32 PM
So I guess we'll be watching Patrik Laine at the Bell MTS Centre?

Could be, although Laine could still go #1 ? or the Leafs (Sorry , I used the L word in the Jets thread), may pick Laine instead, either way, I prefer him overall, Auston Matthews is an ok consolation prize..

esquire
Jun 10, 2016, 7:23 PM
I'm not sure if this was posted before, but here are the seat prices for the Heritage Classic. (The price is for 2 games, the alumni game and then the actual Jets/Oilers game.)

As someone who has watched football from multiple vantage points throughout IGF, all I can say is that anyone sitting in the lower parts of the end zone might as well bring a good book to read because they won't be seeing much hockey.

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/jets/images/upload/2016/06/pricing-map-hc.jpg

bomberjet
Jun 10, 2016, 7:29 PM
Kind of surprising the ticket prices are like that. But i guess there is no view of the ice from that far down. Is that from Ticketmaster? I didn't think they had officially announced this yet, but will admit I haven't been playing close attention.

esquire
Jun 10, 2016, 7:38 PM
^ It's from the Jets website. The views from anything but the last 6 or 7 rows of the endzone will be terrible. I'm a little surprised they didn't bring in temp seating because unlike for football where the endzone temp seats at IGF have some of the crappier views, temp seats for hockey would actually offer a relatively decent view of the ice. At those prices you'd think it would be worth it.

I have to admit, if I snag a pair in the presale they're going straight to Stubhub... I'll be watching this on TV.

bomberjet
Jun 10, 2016, 7:44 PM
Yeah I see it posted now.

I'm interested in going to the alumni game just for a bit of a fun. Seeing Gretzky and the rest. Typically these games suck due to poor playing conidtions.

hexrae
Jun 10, 2016, 8:10 PM
^ It's from the Jets website. The views from anything but the last 6 or 7 rows of the endzone will be terrible. I'm a little surprised they didn't bring in temp seating because unlike for football where the endzone temp seats at IGF have some of the crappier views, temp seats for hockey would actually offer a relatively decent view of the ice. At those prices you'd think it would be worth it.

I have to admit, if I snag a pair in the presale they're going straight to Stubhub... I'll be watching this on TV.

:maddown: jk, I'll look out for that, my family and I are going to try get more than the limit we have.

bomberjet
Jun 10, 2016, 8:35 PM
I'm a season seat holder so can keep it posted here if we have seats for sale. I'll venture a guess there will be many for sale to the public. I'd be surprised if they sold quickly simply due to the price.

esquire
Jun 10, 2016, 8:45 PM
^ The price is just nuts in my view. Why an ordinary regular season game in a sub-par setting with lousy views should command such a premium is a mystery... but I won't complain, I'll just try to profit from it ;)

hexrae
Jun 10, 2016, 9:36 PM
I'm a season seat holder so can keep it posted here if we have seats for sale. I'll venture a guess there will be many for sale to the public. I'd be surprised if they sold quickly simply due to the price.

Same here, but we share so I'm betting we'll have more interest than seats.

^ The price is just nuts in my view. Why an ordinary regular season game in a sub-par setting with lousy views should command such a premium is a mystery... but I won't complain, I'll just try to profit from it ;)

You're starting to convince me :) But my dad won't have any of it, he wants to go for sure.

snowmobile
Jun 10, 2016, 10:34 PM
heritage classic won't even be anything special since it's in october.

if it was in december and during a blizzard it might be memorable but in october its just another game with bad views and no roof

hexrae
Jun 11, 2016, 2:45 AM
heritage classic won't even be anything special since it's in october.

if it was in december and during a blizzard it might be memorable but in october its just another game with bad views and no roof

Yup, ok Bahd :rolleyes:

optimusREIM
Jul 1, 2016, 9:19 PM
Jets with a few depth signings today. I have to say I did not expect then to be that active. Actually I expected nothing haha

Cyro
Aug 4, 2016, 4:43 PM
For all you nostalgia buffs and collectors, you might have heard her majesty, from the Old barn is up for sale.

It would look great in your man cave next to all your Jets memorabilia..Might have to do some reno work though to get her to fit..

Commissioned (1979)

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2974896.1425013075!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/queen-portrait-in-whitby.jpg

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2974903.1425013107!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/original_300/queen-portrait-at-old-winnipeg-arena.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/queen-portrait-that-hung-in-old-winnipeg-jets-arena-coming-home-1.2973613

esquire
Aug 5, 2016, 3:46 PM
Heritage Classic announcement coming up today... apparently it's a public event at noon, Portage and Main.

Someone on hfboards shared this pic of a sign going up at P&M

http://i.imgur.com/QdDqzrR.jpg

esquire
Aug 5, 2016, 6:24 PM
Jets/Oilers alumni rosters were revealed today

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890609&navid=DL|WPG|home

I hope that the old Oilers have really let themselves go because there is a bit of a talent imbalance in the rosters. I have to admit, I love that McSorley AND Semenko will be there to look after Gretzky.

buzzg
Aug 6, 2016, 7:51 PM
Jets/Oilers alumni rosters were revealed today

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890609&navid=DL|WPG|home

I hope that the old Oilers have really let themselves go because there is a bit of a talent imbalance in the rosters. I have to admit, I love that McSorley AND Semenko will be there to look after Gretzky.

Most of the Oilers team is still in incredible shape. They will destroy us. We also don't really have a great goalie.

The Saint
Aug 6, 2016, 11:03 PM
Most of the Oilers team is still in incredible shape. They will destroy us. We also don't really have a great goalie.

Relax! We have Selanne, who could probably still play in the NHL today. He will score at will!

SKYSTHELIMIT
Aug 7, 2016, 1:39 AM

Bobby Essensa my fav Jets goalie of all time. But yes that was some time ago.

SKYSTHELIMIT
Aug 7, 2016, 1:40 AM
Relax! We have Selanne, who could probably still play in the NHL today. He will score at will!

Seeing Selanne in Jets jersey will bring a tear to my eye:):cheers:

bomberjet
Aug 8, 2016, 3:20 PM
I love the Jets uni and will be purchasing one for sure. Not sure if I go Hawerchuk or with one of the current roster.

Ando
Aug 11, 2016, 9:25 PM
I wonder who bought the painting of the Queen??

buzzg
Aug 12, 2016, 12:23 AM
^Was it bought?

Maybe it was True North and it's going in The Burt. That'd be a good place for it actually, no one's gonna want to put that pig ol' 'ugly' thing in a nice modern arena or office building.

Oilkountry
Aug 12, 2016, 7:23 PM
I'm surprised khabibulin doesnt wanna take part in the heritage classic

bomberjet
Aug 12, 2016, 7:48 PM
Maybe they didn't want him?

esquire
Aug 12, 2016, 8:00 PM
How is Essensa the only goalie? What about Rick Tabaracci? Pokey Reddick? Dan Berthiaume? Tim Cheveldae? Brian Hayward? Stephane Beauregard?

bomberjet
Aug 12, 2016, 8:03 PM
Maybe they all declined? Pokey would be cool. My uncle's dog once pissed on Tabaracci's new carpet in his Lindewoods home. True story haha actually it was my auntie's sisters dog staying at my uncles, but either way.

And isn't Chevaldae and Chevaldayoff the same? Cousins whose name were changed or something like that. Or is it just a myth that Kevin and Tim are related.

Oilkountry
Aug 12, 2016, 8:05 PM
cross post from the stadiums thread heres the new seats. I am also hearing True north square may be %30 taller than expected on 2 of 4 towers. More demand than expected (Not really jets news but...enjoy)

http://mytoba.ca/content/uploads/2016/08/crop_620x350_20160803_131PM.jpg

bomberjet
Aug 12, 2016, 8:07 PM
Ooh nice. See, new blue seats look sweet and comfy. Where'd ya get that photo? Just curious if there is more to see. Thanks.

Edit: Ah, the Twitter.

esquire
Aug 12, 2016, 8:19 PM
Are the seats actually new or just reupholstered?

bomberjet
Aug 12, 2016, 8:30 PM
I assume some folks have sat there already. Hip concert comes to mind. Tweet as follows.

https://twitter.com/mtscentre/status/760573561425637376
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4ZnUyUAAAku87.jpg
Out with the old, in with the BLUE ✈️ ������ New seat installation is coming along nicely- we can't wait for you to see!

Oilkountry
Aug 12, 2016, 8:46 PM
Are the seats actually new or just reupholstered?

Pretty sure just reupholstered. That was what they said they were going to do when they released the off season plans. Plus the plastic part under the seat pad is the same as the originals and the seats themselves are the quite similar. Hopefully they replace those awful green section markers now

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4ZnUyUAAAku87.jpghttp://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297176189290_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Jets4Life
Aug 13, 2016, 5:36 PM
Bobby Essensa my fav Jets goalie of all time. But yes that was some time ago.

He nearly played as an emergency backup a couple of years ago with the Bruins, so I assume he must be in good shape, even at 50:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/bob-essensa-bruins-goalie-coach-dresses-as-backup-after-tuukka-rask-leaves-game-1.3013699

buzzg
Aug 13, 2016, 7:15 PM
I really wish they would paint or cover the the walls at the top of the 200s and 300s to something dark. Because they're light they stand out so much and make the arena feel even smaller than it is.

Also, are the new seats "leather?" If so that's smart, although I'm actually surprised how clean they've managed to keep the fabric over the last 12 years.

Oilkountry
Aug 13, 2016, 11:15 PM
I really wish they would paint or cover the the walls at the top of the 200s and 300s to something dark. Because they're light they stand out so much and make the arena feel even smaller than it is.

Also, are the new seats "leather?" If so that's smart, although I'm actually surprised how clean they've managed to keep the fabric over the last 12 years.

I'm pretty sure they are just fabric. I'm not sure why you would be surprised basically every other arena in north america manages to keep cloth seats clean for 20-30 years, 12 years is actually really quick for seat replacement when you think ACC,bell centre are both 5 years older and just replaced them last year. The seats Rogers arena are 21 years old :rolleyes:

As for the beige up top I completely agree. The thing i love about the ACC post LED lighting is that you can barley see the upper deck now. Looks so intimidating and MTS would have the same affect with a dark backdrop up above the seating. I also hope they do somthing else with the beige above the lower bowl below the suites. Maybe some military looking steel? They could do something pretty special with the section markers

http://st2.depositphotos.com/1011833/5746/i/950/depositphotos_57462851-Metal-texture-with-rivets-as.jpg

bomberjet
Aug 14, 2016, 4:00 PM
They should paint all the beige with the dark blue Jet colour. The signs and accents could be steel or whatever else. I'd restrict large scale use of the steel theme, it's borderline cheesy IMO. Still looks cool most of the time. But maybe the original Jets 2.0 themes are starting to get a bit dated? On to year 6 now. Next season with the addidas uniforms coming in, there will be some form of re-brand taking place league wide.

Oilkountry
Aug 15, 2016, 5:03 PM
They should paint all the beige with the dark blue Jet colour. The signs and accents could be steel or whatever else. I'd restrict large scale use of the steel theme, it's borderline cheesy IMO. Still looks cool most of the time. But maybe the original Jets 2.0 themes are starting to get a bit dated? On to year 6 now. Next season with the addidas uniforms coming in, there will be some form of re-brand taking place league wide.

I like the color scheme they went on the loge seating. This would look good on the back walls

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/jets/images/upload/gallery/2015/09/Photos/IMG_0417161535970_slide.jpg

buzzg
Aug 15, 2016, 5:40 PM
^Yes.

bomberjet
Aug 15, 2016, 5:44 PM
Jets ticket agents have to be some of the silliest people around. Never ending issues with ticket payments. Again today, 'Oh we don't know how much to charge. You'll just have to come in and pay.' Blah blah blah. How hard is it to divide a total price by three seats and charge credit cards accordingly?

Ando
Aug 15, 2016, 6:07 PM
^Was it bought?

Maybe it was True North and it's going in The Burt. That'd be a good place for it actually, no one's gonna want to put that pig ol' 'ugly' thing in a nice modern arena or office building.
It was apparently sold on kijiji last week, with big plans for it to be revealed by whoever bought it.

buzzg
Aug 16, 2016, 5:04 PM
I think they're going to suspend it from the pedestrian overpass planned for Portage & Main.

esquire
Aug 16, 2016, 6:16 PM
Dreamscape bought it obvs.

bomberjet
Aug 16, 2016, 6:32 PM
Obviously! lol It's the only place large enough to handle such a thing. But how will we ever see it through the endless forest of steel columns and beams?? :(

Ando
Aug 16, 2016, 10:11 PM
Whenever I get sad and gloomy, I think of Dreamscape. And then everything is better again.

Oilkountry
Aug 16, 2016, 10:37 PM
is that actually going to happen? dreamscape?

bomberjet
Aug 17, 2016, 1:46 PM
No it won't. It's this weird fantasy that a guy is trying to build momentum on.

cheswick
Aug 19, 2016, 6:53 PM
So my season tickets are at the top of the stairs of 317. My rep had called me with an offer to switch seats (even though I hadn't requested to switch). She told me as part of a "top secret" part of the renovations they were losing a seat or two so had to shuffle people. Anyway went down to check out the proposed seats they would switch me to, and it looked like they tore out the seats at the top of stairs between section 315 and 316 and there was a like a hole there as if you could walk up the stairs to something. Maybe I was seeing things as I'm not sure where that could even go.

bomberjet
Aug 19, 2016, 7:03 PM
Hmm, interesting. Maybe they're adding standing room seats around the backside of the very top row. There's always been a gap there. For garbage, and some peoples bathroom.

Oilkountry
Aug 19, 2016, 7:59 PM
So my season tickets are at the top of the stairs of 317. My rep had called me with an offer to switch seats (even though I hadn't requested to switch). She told me as part of a "top secret" part of the renovations they were losing a seat or two so had to shuffle people. Anyway went down to check out the proposed seats they would switch me to, and it looked like they tore out the seats at the top of stairs between section 315 and 316 and there was a like a hole there as if you could walk up the stairs to something. Maybe I was seeing things as I'm not sure where that could even go.

was it just 317 or any other corner of the upper deck? Ive been talking about them adding loge type seats behind the last row of the 300's for a while now but only figured it was possible on the ends of the building because the side of the building opens up to nothing but air space. If its 317 and only 317 i bet its an organ or something lame like that.

They could have easily built up to that opening from the roof

http://www.mtscentre.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Winnipeg_Jets_map.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/medias.photodeck.com/5714e754-6ebd-4905-9242-5a6446f70c78/26-08-2015-0575_xgaplus.jpg

cheswick
Aug 19, 2016, 8:04 PM
was it just 317 or the rest of the upper deck? Ive been talking about them adding loge type seats behind the last row of the 300's for a while now but only figured it was possible on the ends because the side of the building opens up to nothing but air space. If its 317 and only 317 i bet its an organ or something lame like that

My seats are 317 but the only seats I saw removed were at the top of stairs between 315/316. And it was only there that it looked like they opened it up. My assumption is the people in the seats that were taken out wanted to stay at the top of the stairs so they asked me to switch mine to give my seats to those people. That's the speculation on my part.

Oilkountry
Aug 19, 2016, 8:08 PM
My seats are 317 but the only seats I saw removed were at the top of stairs between 315/316. And it was only there that it looked like they opened it up. My assumption is the people in the seats that were taken out wanted to stay at the top of the stairs so they asked me to switch mine to give my seats to those people. That's the speculation on my part.

What did you end up doing if you dont mind me asking?

cheswick
Aug 19, 2016, 8:27 PM
What did you end up doing if you dont mind me asking?

I switched. I like being at the top row but the seats they offered were a section and a half closer to centre ice so I figured it was worth the trade off. I'm on the fence about renewing after this season anyway.

And an organ probably makes sense given its likely not a huge upgrade or they would have advertised it.

buzzg
Aug 20, 2016, 7:49 PM
I'd like to see them replace all the banners that were taken down on the Donald side and re-colour the lights that light up the big swooshy part facing Portage, they're really dull now. Also something hanging in the big glass cylinder where the "northern light" ribbons used to be... A big Jet maybe.

Oilkountry
Aug 21, 2016, 8:07 AM
I'd like to see them replace all the banners that were taken down on the Donald side and re-colour the lights that light up the big swooshy part facing Portage, they're really dull now. Also something hanging in the big glass cylinder where the "northern light" ribbons used to be... A big Jet maybe.

My remaining wish list

-updated locker room with big Jets logo on the ceiling like buffalo and Pittsburgh
-Interior bowl paint, I absolutely hate the beige above the 300's and below the suites (also new section markers)
-Some kind of loge seats added up top like discussed earlier
-main atrium utilized better
-Concourses updated
-Interior and exterior LED lighting sytem which wont happen for a long time

esquire
Aug 21, 2016, 3:23 PM
My remaining wish list

-updated locker room with big Jets logo on the ceiling like buffalo and Pittsburgh
-Interior bowl paint, I absolutely hate the beige above the 300's and below the suites (also new section markers)
-Concourses updated

A general refresh is in order... the concourses and public spaces in particular need a makeover. I realize TNSE built the rink on a fairly tight budget, but the concourses had kind of an institutional-drab look right from day one. Some of the design elements like the particle board panels on the main atrium are starting to look shabby. Once the more pressing needs are addressed, it would be nice to see that dealt with.

robertocarlos
Aug 21, 2016, 3:57 PM
The government makes TNSE spend money on the MTSC every year. Why not just build it right in the first place. Does Chipman regret that free piece of land?

cheswick
Aug 21, 2016, 4:21 PM
The government makes TNSE spend money on the MTSC every year. Why not just build it right in the first place. Does Chipman regret that free piece of land?

What are you talking about? The land MTS centre sits on was owned by one of David Thomsons companies which chipman et al partnered with to build MTS Centre and are now partners in ownership of the Jets.

buzzg
Aug 21, 2016, 6:35 PM
I actually think IIRC that the concourse updates and general cosmetic upgrades to the interior are part of the plan, for the last year of the 5 year reno... I think this summer was year 3.

I think the best place to add seats would be to mirror the media booths and drop in a loge on the other side. Whether it's seats or standing room or a combo of both, whatever allows the most additional people. I've done standing room at a Wild game and it was actually really fun, tends to be a rowdier section.

Jets4Life
Aug 21, 2016, 9:13 PM

Source?

FYI, the Jets returned to the NHL in 2011. The MTS Centre began construction in late 2002, and opened about two years later, a full decade before the return of the Jets. The AHL Moose were the primary tenants of the MTS Centre, when it was completed.

Oilkountry
Aug 22, 2016, 5:46 AM
Source?

FYI, the Jets returned to the NHL in 2011. The MTS Centre began construction in late 2002, and opened about two years later, a full decade before the return of the Jets. The AHL Moose were the primary tenants of the MTS Centre, when it was completed.

he's referring to the tax breaks TN gets on VLT's and stuff which is rumored to be in the 6M a year range. But ive never heard of the city demanding this money goes towards MTSC nor have i heard of TN "getting" any money for MTSC they made it clear the building would have the same finishes you see around other NHL buildings and they kept their promise

oftheMoon
Aug 22, 2016, 1:47 PM
http://jets.nhl.com/v2/ext/files/pdf/2016_MTS_Centre_Enhancements.pdf

2016 upgrades at part of the TN2020 capital expenditure and venue improvement plan:

"The most significant improvement will be the replacement of all cushions and seat covers for all fixed seating in the upper and lower bowls, enhancing both comfort and design. Additionally, new bleachers and decking will be installed in the south-end lower bowl, and better-quality decking will be constructed for the east and west retractable seating areas. This will include the replacement of approximately 1,500 seats with a sturdier, more comfortable seat.

After an extensive study of design alternatives, building code, and product offerings, a thorough glass project will be implemented throughout the MTS Centre. Where code and safety allows, steel mesh and sight-obstruction steel posts will be replaced with seamless glass throughout the venue.

Additionally, this summer will begin a 2-year program that will see 350 new TV screens, ranging from 42” to 80”. These screens will be presented on MTS Centre concourses and public walkways which will offer digital menu boards in our concessions, improved game and social media feeds, as well as event information for upcoming shows at the MTS Centre and Burton Cummings Theatre. Complementing new digital menu boards, a new food & beverage point-of-sale system will be implemented this summer to provide improved speed of service at MTS Centre concessions, and offer new convenient payment options to fans."

Biff
Aug 22, 2016, 2:15 PM
My remaining wish list

-Concourses updated

The locker room and event level areas are scheduled for the 2017 off season.

bomberjet
Aug 22, 2016, 2:18 PM
I will agree the partical board type sheet feels like a hospital and needs to be gone.

blueandgoldguy
Aug 22, 2016, 9:25 PM
Source?

It was reported way back in 2011 by multiple media sources that the agreement between the province/city and True North required that the annual gambling subsidies ($6 million) accrued from those VLTs in Shark Club and Tavern United had to be reinvested in the MTS Centre. Most, if not all, the improvements to the MTS Centre since 2011 have been derived from this particular subsidy.

bomberjet
Aug 22, 2016, 9:27 PM
I wonder if Chipman and Co ever go for drunken mid night hockey games at MTS Centre. I mean, I would if I owned an arena. Would be awesome.

esquire
Aug 22, 2016, 9:34 PM
^ Visualizing Thomson making a phenomenal glove save on a beauty Chipman one-timer fed by his brother Steve

Oilkountry
Aug 22, 2016, 10:56 PM

source?

optimusREIM
Aug 23, 2016, 1:55 AM
I wonder if Chipman and Co ever go for drunken mid night hockey games at MTS Centre. I mean, I would if I owned an arena. Would be awesome.

I have heard from someone who has known chipman for a while that he is a very rigid and disciplined man. To the point of not even having a beer every now and then.

Oilkountry
Aug 23, 2016, 2:32 AM
I have heard from someone who has known chipman for a while that he is a very rigid and disciplined man. To the point of not even having a beer every now and then.

I can see that. hes very well spoken. I mean the guy owns a good chunk of an NHL team and drives a toyota rav 4

Jets4Life
Aug 23, 2016, 4:07 AM
It was reported way back in 2011 by multiple media sources that the agreement between the province/city and True North required that the annual gambling subsidies ($6 million) accrued from those VLTs in Shark Club and Tavern United had to be reinvested in the MTS Centre. Most, if not all, the improvements to the MTS Centre since 2011 have been derived from this particular subsidy.

Sweet.

OverUnder
Aug 23, 2016, 4:25 AM
I can see that. hes very well spoken. I mean the guy owns a good chunk of an NHL team and drives a toyota rav 4

I saw Chipman once down Portage in a Cadillac convertible!

bomberjet
Aug 23, 2016, 1:04 PM
source?

Biff is the source on a lot of things. Biffs awesome.

Biff
Aug 23, 2016, 1:50 PM
source?

Someone who has been running all of the other improvement projects to date. The only info so far that I have received from this person that has proven to be incorrect was the seat recovering. It was first proposed to be for 2017.....it happened this year.

......thanks BomberJet

Oilkountry
Aug 23, 2016, 2:08 PM
Someone who has been running all of the other improvement projects to date. The only info so far that I have received from this person that has proven to be incorrect was the seat recovering. It was first proposed to be for 2017.....it happened this year.

......thanks BomberJet

do you happen to know what else is happening? reno wise?

Biff
Aug 23, 2016, 2:11 PM
do you happen to know what else is happening? reno wise?

More paint and concourse improvements.

Oilkountry
Aug 24, 2016, 1:30 AM
More paint and concourse improvements.

I wonder if thats the end of true north 20/20

hexrae
Aug 24, 2016, 2:07 AM
I wonder if thats the end of true north 20/20

I thought it was a plan to improve the building over a 6 year period (2014-2020), hence the 20/20 name.

buzzg
Aug 24, 2016, 4:14 AM
I thought it was a plan to improve the building over a 6 year period (2014-2020), hence the 20/20 name.

The first year of the plan was 2013, the 2020 thing I believe is just because it's their "vision" — nothing to do with the year 2020. They announced it as a 5 year plan.

Oilkountry
Aug 24, 2016, 4:39 AM
The first year of the plan was 2013, the 2020 thing I believe is just because it's their "vision" — nothing to do with the year 2020. They announced it as a 5 year plan.

Dubbed "True North 2020," the major reinvestment plan driving the evolution of the MTS Centre is expected to cost between $20 million and $30 million and be completed over six years.

6 years from 2013 takes you to 2019 but I just don't see what else they can do after concourses and locker room. Anything significant anyway. So i'm curious what is going in over the next 3 off seasons. New lighting I suppose? both the interior and exterior is aging tech. either then adding seating areas i just don't see what's left

oftheMoon
Aug 24, 2016, 1:42 PM
^^^ I can see an improved multimedia being added into the mix at some point. Like those video systems that project 3D type images on the ice, etc.

Just another thought I had about increasing the building size. What about eliminating just the east sidewalk on Hargrave to make that corridor larger? Still allows for the same vehicle traffic and pedestrians could use the west side.

CoryB
Aug 24, 2016, 2:31 PM
^^ The public walkway is at the suite level. Eliminating it would add minimal to the game/event side of the building.

I think, and have for some time, as others have said mirror the press box on the east side. The challenge is that expansion would need to be pretty self contained including food and beverage service and washrooms. On the pressbox side it looks like there are public spaces built into the corners.

bomberjet
Aug 24, 2016, 2:38 PM
Is it really worth all the effort for the cheapest seats in the building? TNSE made a good point they have the most expensive seats they will ever have already. Anything they're adding to the upper deck; as in raising the roof, etc etc; are $60 seats. Spending millions for upgrades for cheap, nose bleed seats doesn't really make sense.

There's really not much they can do that will make any financial sense, until it's new arena time. If you're merely trying to get more people in the building, then adding a press box style, or old Winnipeg Arena style, nose bleed group of sections might work.

esquire
Aug 24, 2016, 2:39 PM
^ Yeah, a mirror to the east side press box with loge/club seats/skyboxes is probably the last of the low-hanging fruit when it comes to expanding the capacity of MTS Centre. It would be a huge job of course, but I'm assuming it wouldn't require major structural modifications like raising the roof or anything like that.

Given that the 300 loge seats just went on the market though, I'm guessing it'll be a while before TNSE adds a lot more premium seating to sell. When you look at the names on the skybox doors, there are a lot of fairly small-time companies sharing skyboxes... it's a bit of a reminder of the relative lack of depth of the corporate market here. The market is close to tapped, but that could change if the Jets go on a playoff run and build massive fan excitement. When it comes to ticket sales, it seems as though several Canadian teams are still coasting on their SCF appearances in the last decade plus.

esquire
Aug 24, 2016, 2:40 PM
Is it really worth all the effort for the cheapest seats in the building? TNSE made a good point they have the most expensive seats they will ever have already. Anything they're adding to the upper deck; as in raising the roof, etc etc; are $60 seats. Spending millions for upgrades for cheap, nose bleed seats doesn't really make sense.

There's really not much they can do that will make any financial sense, until it's new arena time. If you're merely trying to get more people in the building, then adding a press box style, or old Winnipeg Arena style, nose bleed group of sections might work.

Dollars to donuts any new seating will be premium. Whether it's a press box-type structure on the west side or another ring of seating right at the top, it'll be loges, club seats, skyboxes or some such. They aren't going to spend a fortune to add P7s.

oftheMoon
Aug 24, 2016, 3:07 PM
^^ The public walkway is at the suite level. Eliminating it would add minimal to the game/event side of the building.

I think, and have for some time, as others have said mirror the press box on the east side. The challenge is that expansion would need to be pretty self contained including food and beverage service and washrooms. On the pressbox side it looks like there are public spaces built into the corners.

Not the suite level walkway. I mean expanding out on the east sidewalk at street level of Hargrave to increase corridor size of the lower bowl area. Just to give it more space. Does nothing for capacity, but improves event experience as there's more room to move.

robertocarlos
Aug 24, 2016, 4:01 PM
Not the suite level walkway. I mean expanding out on the east sidewalk at street level of Hargrave to increase corridor size of the lower bowl area. Just to give it more space. Does nothing for capacity, but improves event experience as there's more room to move.

Why don't you go stretch your legs on the sidewalk?

bomberjet
Aug 24, 2016, 4:08 PM
I think we're just going to have to live with MTS Centre as is. TNSE has added more lounge and seating space in areas outside of the concourse. Upper deck I'm speaking of. They put the new atrium lounge out and above the lower atrium area. They put that other lounge area in the corner by TN Square. Seems they're trying to get people out of the concourse and into these areas, freeing up space for people to move.

I really don't have much of an issue with my seats in the upper deck. Sure it can be tight, but its a sporting event. Washroom wait times are minimal, even at intermissions. I have my beer guy that I always go to. Minimal wait if any. Just gotta figure it out. Lower level has even more space than the upper level, with only about 1000 more fans down there.

CoryB
Aug 24, 2016, 5:11 PM
A possibility if they are adding more seats to the top of the upper bowl is essentially push the existing seating back a couple of rows, stick the new lodge seats on place of row 1 of the existing upper deck, etc.

In terms of the press box style seating, making it a premium experience and including self service food stations built into the price could help with the space issues. Then you really just need a couple of staff in either corner to handle alcohol sales.

Oilkountry
Aug 24, 2016, 6:34 PM
I think we're just going to have to live with MTS Centre as is.

I cant say I agree. Press box expansion was 1 Million. So lets say loge expansion is 2.5M accounting for concourses and access. Sell those seats for even half 60%ish of the existing loge seats $3900 a piece at even 150 seats. $585,000 multiplied by 20 years is 14.6M for the Jets alone ROI in 4-5 year on NHL revenue alone, plus concession and that's not including any concerts,moose playoffs or other events. realistically it could translate into an additional million a year into true Norths business revenue.

Option 2. They built the organ room in 315 because they could build a floor up to it. Ive always envisioned them making mini suite loge type seating this same way. basically smashing out the walls from 310-317 and 301-325 and building 4 foot deep rooms with stool type seats and a rail. You would have to remove 2 seats for every entrance But you could have 6-8 loge seats per room.

http://tickets.ca/content/uploaded/venue-maps/Winnipeg-Jets-MTS-Centre-Seating-Chart.jpg

Rogers arena sort of did the same thing although i'm pretty sure they did suites or a club? look at the upper corner

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4788243884_7fe20bc370.jpg

ton of room to do this too. They could potentially do this the full bowl. They would have to somehow cantilever over the edge but it's doable

http://storage.winnipegsun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297630443863_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

But on the ends it's just a matter of knocking down walls and building up a floor, roof and walls. Hell they have the room to build a club up there

http://storage.winnipegsun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297630443835_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

bomberjet
Aug 24, 2016, 7:23 PM
All good ideas. But why would anyone pay extra for the crappiest seats in the rink? Upper deck ends and corners are the worst.

Also, I think you're underestimating the cost, especially for cantilevering full rooms off the upper deck.

Again, good ideas. But why would I pay more than my P6 tickets to sit further away?

CoryB
Aug 24, 2016, 7:30 PM
Why are people willing to pay close to P1 prices to sit in the upper deck loges? Part of the appeal of the behind the goals mini suites would be essentially having a mini, private suite at the event. That alone would be worth a premium. There would likely be other add-ons to justify the cost too like perhaps a special discount card for concessions or something.

bomberjet
Aug 24, 2016, 7:35 PM
Upper deck loges are good seats. Well decent. Behind the nose bleeds, not so much. My opinion I guess.

Buddies have seats at IGF which are directly above the vomitories. 6 seats in their own little area. It sucks. You're away from the rest of the fans. Much like suites at hockey games. Cool at first. Really shitty for any sort of fan interaction or experience.

esquire
Aug 24, 2016, 7:42 PM
All good ideas. But why would anyone pay extra for the crappiest seats in the rink? Upper deck ends and corners are the worst.

Also, I think you're underestimating the cost, especially for cantilevering full rooms off the upper deck.

Again, good ideas. But why would I pay more than my P6 tickets to sit further away?

Common sense takes a vacation when it comes to hockey ticket prices. There are apparently people who are voluntarily spending nearly $11,000 a season ticket to watch the Oilers from the very back of the upper deck, behind the net no less.

http://i.imgur.com/0WvkYQl.jpg

I'm sure if TNSE goes to the trouble of installing new seating, it won't be P6 or P7.