PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

h0twired
Jun 23, 2011, 6:03 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZfpisUe_5vo/TI0lAptxlaI/AAAAAAAABQU/CyX2gc5DmgI/s1600/Canada+Team+Map.jpg

drew
Jun 23, 2011, 6:19 PM
^ considering people from Kenora hate Tobans, and the shear (sp.?) volume of Sask ex-pats in Alberta, I think our map remains pretty close to just the Manitoba border...

Biff
Jun 23, 2011, 6:20 PM
I would probably divide Sask in half where the western portion will be either Oiler or Flames fans and extend the Winnipeg teams reach farther into Northern Ontario.

h0twired
Jun 23, 2011, 6:37 PM
I would probably divide Sask in half where the western portion will be either Oiler or Flames fans and extend the Winnipeg teams reach farther into Northern Ontario.

Wasn't meant to be serious... are you guys missing who the maritimers are cheering for?

rapid_business
Jun 23, 2011, 6:48 PM
Yup, I saw that :tup:.... for beer!

ihatesquirrels
Jun 23, 2011, 7:15 PM
Schedule up: http://winnipeg.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Biff
Jun 23, 2011, 7:44 PM
... are you guys missing who the maritimers are cheering for?

I got that, i mean i thought it was quite obvious. ;)

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 23, 2011, 9:02 PM
Schedule up: http://winnipeg.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Cool sched. Home opener against the Habs and a New Years eve date with the Leafs. I also love we are on a NHL.com site now when you hit the drop down for team sites we show up as "Winnipeg Winnipeg" franchise went from first alphabetically in the east to last but could kick around in the middle if Manitoba is used.

Mininari
Jun 23, 2011, 9:23 PM
Cool sched. Home opener against the Habs and a New Years eve date with the Leafs. I also love we are on a NHL.com site now when you hit the drop down for team sites we show up as "Winnipeg Winnipeg" franchise went from first alphabetically in the east to last but could kick around in the middle if Manitoba is used.

Look at the crazy homestand during December! Theres only one away game during the whole month.

I wonder if the relatively light home-game scheduling in October reflects additional time needed to finish renovations (unrelated to seating)...

rapid_business
Jun 23, 2011, 9:35 PM
Too bad the only Oilers game is in WPG. I assume that is because they are still playing in the SE division this next year? Will there be a division restructuring the following year? I assume a couple teams might need to be juggled around then, no?

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 24, 2011, 1:02 AM
Too bad the only Oilers game is in WPG. I assume that is because they are still playing in the SE division this next year? Will there be a division restructuring the following year? I assume a couple teams might need to be juggled around then, no?

This was a decision based on timing for the one year in the East. Gary Bettman has made it clear they will be talking to several teams about conference realignment, so expect us in the West next year.

Joshy
Jun 24, 2011, 1:20 AM
This was a decision based on timing for the one year in the East. Gary Bettman has made it clear they will be talking to several teams about conference realignment, so expect us in the West next year.

Honestly, I would rather be in a division with Minny and Chi-town than the Oilers and Flames. But with Minny especially since they are by far the closest city geographically speaking to us, making it the easiest trip down to catch any future Winnipeg games, and a fun weekend in the twin cities.

freeweed
Jun 24, 2011, 2:03 PM
Honestly, I would rather be in a division with Minny and Chi-town than the Oilers and Flames. But with Minny especially since they are by far the closest city geographically speaking to us, making it the easiest trip down to catch any future Winnipeg games, and a fun weekend in the twin cities.

Sacrilege. And someone who hasn't watched enough hockey lately (or been stuck in a division with the Wild). Minnesota games are BORING! I'd do anything to have them out of my division - and with Winnipeg coming onboard, it's looking like that will finally happen.

Imagine a division with all 4 western Canadian teams again - the games will be epic!

Joshy
Jun 24, 2011, 2:36 PM
Sacrilege. And someone who hasn't watched enough hockey lately (or been stuck in a division with the Wild). Minnesota games are BORING! I'd do anything to have them out of my division - and with Winnipeg coming onboard, it's looking like that will finally happen.

Imagine a division with all 4 western Canadian teams again - the games will be epic!

Meh, Calgary and Edmonton games are not much more exciting either as we all know. Plus, we need to spread out Canadian teams as much as possible to increase our chances for the cup every year.

Plus I want a fun weekend in the Twin Cities whenever I can get it!

rapid_business
Jun 24, 2011, 3:02 PM
Meh, Calgary and Edmonton games are not much more exciting either as we all know. Plus, we need to spread out Canadian teams as much as possible to increase our chances for the cup every year.

Ah...so self interest then? :haha:

But to comment on your first point, I disagree about trying to spread out Canadian teams to "increase our chances for the cup every year." Frankly, I could care less, and often cheer for the opposing team when it gets to a 'canadian team + other' in the final. But that is how hockey goes when we care enough about it, right? My hatred for hockey teams runs deepest with teams north of the border, starting first with the Leafs, then the Flames, then the Canucks, because those are the team that it is easy to create rivalries with with constant games against them, or surrounded by annoying (Canuck fans this past year) or willfully blind (Leaf fans) fans. Believe me when I say I'd rather see any US team win, before another of those Canadian teams. Ottawa and Montreal aren't even on my radar as an Oilers fan, so it doesn't matter as much. And for now, I'll embrace Winnipeg with open arms until the bitter rivalries begin to develop. :haha:

And that is what I'm saying... it makes it more fun to let the local rivalries develop when you are often in contact with fans of other Canadian teams.

And I should say I welcome the Oilers-in-last-place directed comments and pokes! I'll see that one all the way to our first-round pick tonight, and our young, rebuilt and cup-contending team in 3-5 years! :cheers:

jmt18325
Jun 24, 2011, 3:03 PM

Calgary isn't that much further away, and it isn't exactly boring.

rapid_business
Jun 24, 2011, 3:14 PM
Calgary isn't that much further away, and it isn't exactly boring.

700km to Minneapolis. 1300 km to Calgary or Edmonton

drew
Jun 24, 2011, 3:29 PM
Just an FYI, Winnipeg to Chicago is just under 1400km. So if you are willing to drive to Calgary for a game, Chicago is certainly within the realm of possibilities...

rrskylar
Jun 24, 2011, 3:59 PM
From Winnipeg to:

St. Paul 621 KM

Chicago 1155 KM

Edmonton 1193 KM

Calgary 1205 KM

hexrae
Jun 24, 2011, 4:18 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist

How far is Winnipeg from Montreal? 1424 miles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAZD9Xx5-Y&t=10s)

MrOilers
Jun 24, 2011, 4:21 PM
And someone who hasn't watched enough hockey lately (or been stuck in a division with the Wild). Minnesota games are BORING!

Absolutely.

No hockey fan should ever have to pay to sit and watch Minnesota play. Not even Minnesota fans. Nashville comes pretty close when it comes to plain vanilla boring-brand hockey.

Any game that involves ANY 2 teams team in the NHL other than Minnesota is a better game than any game where the Wild is on the ice.

My friends with seats to the Oilers games give away their tickets every time Minnesota is in town, and other people are never enthused to take them.

rapid_business
Jun 24, 2011, 5:22 PM
Sources confirm, it will be the Winnipeg Jets!

EDIT: No formal announcement as of yet... sorry, I got a little excited.

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2011, 5:31 PM
I think it's a smart idea to be the Jets, though, how will they spark the necessary jersey sales? Everyone already has a Jets jersey :P

Hopefully they have some cool 3rd jersey or something.

MrOilers
Jun 24, 2011, 5:40 PM
Update the logo, new color scheme (add some black shadowing to the numbers and logo or something), and add a shoulder patch.

Voila! Everybody needs to get this Jets jersey!

Calgarian
Jun 24, 2011, 5:42 PM
Can't wait to see Winnipeg's reaction to the first Jets game in 15 years! So excited for you guys!

h0twired
Jun 24, 2011, 5:43 PM
I really hope its not the jersey with the red maple leaf in the middle of it.

Bdog
Jun 24, 2011, 5:46 PM
Yes! http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/And-now-here-come-The-Jets--124498414.html

MINNEAPOLIS — Word is starting to leak out around Minneapolis and St. Paul, the site of tonight’s first round of the NHL draft, that Winnipeg’s new franchise is indeed going to be called the Jets.

Even though the Winnipeg Jets fled to Phoenix, Ariz., in 1996, the relocated franchise that used to be the Atlanta Thrashers has not yet adopted a name.

That is expected to be revealed as early as later today and multiple NHL sources have been tweeting and suggesting today that True North has settled, possibly reluctantly, on Jets.

No logo, sweaters or colours are expected to accompany the announcement when it comes, but the Free Press has been told when it does, it will likely bear no resemeblance whatsoever to the style used by the former NHL team in Winnipeg.

Joshy
Jun 24, 2011, 6:02 PM
Sources confirm, it will be the Winnipeg Jets!

EDIT: No formal announcement as of yet... sorry, I got a little excited.

By the way things are going, it sounds pretty much official. And thank God it's Winnipeg and not Manitoba!

rrskylar
Jun 24, 2011, 6:35 PM
GO Jets GO!

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2011, 6:38 PM
No resemblance whatsoever to the old colours, eh? Maybe they can be sponsored by Air Canada and have that rather unfortunate shade of green / blue / whatever.

ooo or they can have a tie-in with WestJet and be White / Blue :P Then Canada can finally have a real hockey team wearing those colours!

freeweed
Jun 24, 2011, 6:45 PM
"No resemblance whatsoever" means probably not blue.

The black/silver rumours I've been hearing this week seem more and more likely. At first I thought people were just mixing up the generic NHL jersey they will be drafting with tonight, but now I'm not so sure.

Yume-sama
Jun 24, 2011, 6:46 PM
Hmm. The Kings black / silver jersey is super slick. One of my favourites in the league.

Bdog
Jun 24, 2011, 6:56 PM
"No resemblance whatsoever" means probably not blue.

The black/silver rumours I've been hearing this week seem more and more likely. At first I thought people were just mixing up the generic NHL jersey they will be drafting with tonight, but now I'm not so sure.

Black and Silver would be pretty sweet.

Joshy
Jun 24, 2011, 6:58 PM
Can't wait to see Winnipeg's reaction to the first Jets game in 15 years! So excited for you guys!

But wait, I recall you being one of the biggest naysayers of a team in Winnipeg. If I recall correctly, one of your comments from the Winnipeg NHL Canada thread was something along the lines of "oh man, not this nonsense again!" ;)

freeweed
Jun 24, 2011, 7:44 PM
But wait, I recall you being one of the biggest naysayers of a team in Winnipeg. If I recall correctly, one of your comments from the Winnipeg NHL Canada thread was something along the lines of "oh man, not this nonsense again!" ;)

I don't know that that was Calgarian, but either way - I think it's safe to drop this discussion now. Mods weren't impressed last time. :)

roccerfeller
Jun 24, 2011, 7:53 PM
Great news :)

Joshy
Jun 24, 2011, 8:39 PM
I don't know that that was Calgarian, but either way - I think it's safe to drop this discussion now. Mods weren't impressed last time. :)

I was a little off, but his post is #13 on this linked thread, pretty much shows the pessimism, but not nearly as bad as feepa or SHOFEAR

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=181507

I'll drop it now :)

jmt18325
Jun 24, 2011, 9:27 PM
700km to Minneapolis. 1300 km to Calgary or Edmonton

You're right. I'm thinking about from where I live. Oops.

vid
Jun 24, 2011, 9:58 PM
Absolutely.

No hockey fan should ever have to pay to sit and watch Minnesota play. Not even Minnesota fans. Nashville comes pretty close when it comes to plain vanilla boring-brand hockey.

Any game that involves ANY 2 teams team in the NHL other than Minnesota is a better game than any game where the Wild is on the ice.

My friends with seats to the Oilers games give away their tickets every time Minnesota is in town, and other people are never enthused to take them.

I have a theory that Minnesota actually doesn't have a hockey team at all. What you're seeing when they play is a computer simulation of a hockey game based on 30-year averages, and the "players" are simply holograms.

wayward_prince
Jun 25, 2011, 12:19 AM
GO WINNIPEG JETS GO.........and kiss it to everyone who said otherwise. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 25, 2011, 1:04 AM
GO WINNIPEG JETS GO.........and kiss it to everyone who said otherwise. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much of a relief was that man. I actually teared up when Chipman made the announcement tonight at the draft. Now bring on the jerseys I have my money ready:banana::banana:

freeweed
Jun 25, 2011, 1:07 AM
Wow, the way Chipman did that was sliiiiiiiiick as shit. My brain didn't quite register for a second, and had a brief instant of "you have got to be f'ing kidding me, no announcement!??!?!". :haha:

Someone find a Youtube clip of it. It's worth sharing for those that didn't see it - quite probably the most subtle name announcement in the history of pro sports.

Jun 25, 2011, 1:57 AM
Has anyone noticed that they have said (http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1014559--it-s-official-new-nhl-team-will-play-as-winnipeg-jets-again?bn=1l) that they will be called the Jets? But they haven't said if it's the Manitoba Jets (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm209/vilifyingforce/ManitobaJets.png&imgrefurl=http://hockeybroads.com/threads/26654-Name-the-team-thread-Manitoba-Falcons/page10&usg=__rD91fiRECTXehE012i18E-wAsYU=&h=700&w=850&sz=79&hl=en&start=0&sig2=gU_GbcEwbJwtphrHfrISoQ&zoom=1&tbnid=O6QkXqw8Rhf00M:&tbnh=134&tbnw=163&ei=kz8FTrCqDsjXiAKl0dG5DQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmanitoba%2Bjets%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D732%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=337&page=1&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=99&ty=64&biw=1600&bih=732) or the Winnipeg Jets.

rapid_business
Jun 25, 2011, 2:25 AM
Wow, the way Chipman did that was sliiiiiiiiick as shit. My brain didn't quite register for a second, and had a brief instant of "you have got to be f'ing kidding me, no announcement!??!?!". :haha:

Someone find a Youtube clip of it. It's worth sharing for those that didn't see it - quite probably the most subtle name announcement in the history of pro sports.

Please do, I would like to see it.

EDIT: here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWAiPfcZBA It is the Winnipeg Jets too!

Joshy
Jun 25, 2011, 2:27 AM
Has anyone noticed that they have said (http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1014559--it-s-official-new-nhl-team-will-play-as-winnipeg-jets-again?bn=1l) that they will be called the Jets? But they haven't said if it's the Manitoba Jets (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm209/vilifyingforce/ManitobaJets.png&imgrefurl=http://hockeybroads.com/threads/26654-Name-the-team-thread-Manitoba-Falcons/page10&usg=__rD91fiRECTXehE012i18E-wAsYU=&h=700&w=850&sz=79&hl=en&start=0&sig2=gU_GbcEwbJwtphrHfrISoQ&zoom=1&tbnid=O6QkXqw8Rhf00M:&tbnh=134&tbnw=163&ei=kz8FTrCqDsjXiAKl0dG5DQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmanitoba%2Bjets%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D732%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=337&page=1&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=99&ty=64&biw=1600&bih=732) or the Winnipeg Jets.

TN officially announced that the team will be called the Winnipeg Jets. It's official.

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 25, 2011, 3:29 AM

It came out of Chipmans mouth at the draft tonight, It is officially Winnipeg Jets

freeweed
Jun 25, 2011, 4:55 AM
Please do, I would like to see it.

EDIT: here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWAiPfcZBA It is the Winnipeg Jets too!

I normally find these types of posts frivolous, but THANKS DUDE!!! :tup: I have literally dozens of friends who didn't get a chance to watch live, but want to see the exact moment it was announced.

And yeah. Chipman clearly said WINNIPEG Jets, at 1:56 in that video if anyone's curious. Cheveldayov(sp?) then repeated it, too. Chipman then was immediately interviewed by TSN and once again confirmed it as WINNIPEG Jets.

Incidentally, very classy on the part of several teams (Flames included!) to welcome Wpg back to the league. The biggest shock was what seemed to be actual genuine "welcome back Winnipeg" from Gary Bettman. I have very little love for the man, but he gained a fair bit of respect from me tonight. This was the first time he seemed to be positive about the new team.

rrskylar
Jun 25, 2011, 5:18 AM
Anyone else notice how pissed the crowd in St. Paul was when Cheveldayoff thanked the crowd in Minneapolis by mistake.

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 25, 2011, 1:55 PM
Anyone else notice how pissed the crowd in St. Paul was when Cheveldayoff thanked the crowd in Minneapolis by mistake.

Yes, at first I couldn't figure out why they were booing then put two and two together. Good for them this is St.Pauls day.

VANRIDERFAN
Jun 25, 2011, 1:57 PM
I normally find these types of posts frivolous, but THANKS DUDE!!! :tup: I have literally dozens of friends who didn't get a chance to watch live, but want to see the exact moment it was announced.

And yeah. Chipman clearly said WINNIPEG Jets, at 1:56 in that video if anyone's curious. Cheveldayov(sp?) then repeated it, too. Chipman then was immediately interviewed by TSN and once again confirmed it as WINNIPEG Jets.

Incidentally, very classy on the part of several teams (Flames included!) to welcome Wpg back to the league. The biggest shock was what seemed to be actual genuine "welcome back Winnipeg" from Gary Bettman. I have very little love for the man, but he gained a fair bit of respect from me tonight. This was the first time he seemed to be positive about the new team.

Maybe he has come to terms that he could not make Atlanta work and will now move on from there. 1st step of the process is acceptance Gary :banana:.

Andy6
Jun 25, 2011, 2:39 PM
Maybe Bettman's alleged hate for Winnipeg is a figment of the imagination of people who didn't want to admit the obvious fact that the Jets weren't viable in 1996, and that it's kind of hard to keep a team in a city with no arena and no owners.

albertantraingeek
Jun 25, 2011, 3:33 PM
:banaride: YES. WINNIPEG jets.

Bdog
Jun 25, 2011, 6:43 PM

Everyone who said otherwise? LOL - I seem to remember you calling out Mark Chipman because they were going to call them the "Moosies".

However, True North must have listened to your suggestion, considering you did donate $1 M towards the arena...

freeweed
Jun 25, 2011, 9:54 PM
Maybe Bettman's alleged hate for Winnipeg is a figment of the imagination of people who didn't want to admit the obvious fact that the Jets weren't viable in 1996, and that it's kind of hard to keep a team in a city with no arena and no owners.

It's pretty clear Bettman and the BoG treated Winnipeg entirely different than say Phoenix when it comes to how long they were willing to wait for an owner to step up, and how strict they were in terms of qualified owners. Calling it a figment of the imagination just shows that you either paid no attention to how it went down back then, or you've forgotten most of the details.

It's pretty clear that Bettman very grudgingly accepted Winnipeg back into the fold, but only after 15 years of his "great southern experiment" going into the shitter. The man was specifically brought in as commissioner on his promise that he could grow the game outside of its traditional markets, there's no question where he stands on small Canadian markets - he'll tolerate them as necessary but they do nothing to further his grand plans. Only now that his plan has mostly failed is he finally willing to embrace them again.

rypinion
Jun 25, 2011, 10:43 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/maybe-bettman-a-better-man-124533189.html

Andy6
Jun 26, 2011, 12:08 AM
It's pretty clear Bettman and the BoG treated Winnipeg entirely different than say Phoenix when it comes to how long they were willing to wait for an owner to step up, and how strict they were in terms of qualified owners. Calling it a figment of the imagination just shows that you either paid no attention to how it went down back then, or you've forgotten most of the details.

They treated Winnipeg at least as well as they treated Atlanta (or Atlanta in 1980 for that matter). In 1995, there was next to no chance that the Jets could be rescued, certainly after Premier Filmon (rightly) nixed the idea of a publicly financed arena. There was no potential owner. There was nothing. It was over. Anyone could see that Winnipeg was just wasting taxpayers' money by hanging on. Even so, Bettman and the NHL worked to find a solution for a decent amount of time. Phoenix is a bit different because the league owns the team and there seems to be a local government there that is willing to prop it up year after year, at no real cost to the league (as far as I can tell).

rrskylar
Jun 26, 2011, 2:16 AM
They treated Winnipeg at least as well as they treated Atlanta (or Atlanta in 1980 for that matter). In 1995, there was next to no chance that the Jets could be rescued, certainly after Premier Filmon (rightly) nixed the idea of a publicly financed arena. There was no potential owner. There was nothing. It was over. Anyone could see that Winnipeg was just wasting taxpayers' money by hanging on. Even so, Bettman and the NHL worked to find a solution for a decent amount of time. Phoenix is a bit different because the league owns the team and there seems to be a local government there that is willing to prop it up year after year, at no real cost to the league (as far as I can tell).

The Coyotes are costing the league, it's just that the relocation fee Winnipeg paid the league covered their end of the past two years of Coyotes losses. Last year alone the Coyotes lost $37 million with Glendale covering only $25 million of that.

Only The Lonely..
Jun 26, 2011, 2:19 AM
I have a theory that Minnesota actually doesn't have a hockey team at all. What you're seeing when they play is a computer simulation of a hockey game based on 30-year averages, and the "players" are simply holograms.

This is the funniest thing I've ever ever read on this board.

vid
Jun 26, 2011, 3:47 AM
This is the funniest thing I've ever ever read on this board.

I did it! I've finally accomplished something! :banana:

freeweed
Jun 26, 2011, 7:06 AM

Only if you ignore history (both past and recent) is this post correct.

Firstly, there were several potential ownership groups in Winnipeg in 1995, one of which included Mark Chipman. At the time Bettman put some ridiculous condition like requiring a net worth of $600 million (the exact figure escapes me) on any local owner. No other owners before or since have been subject to this condition. There simply wasn't enough time to work things out. Winnipeg wasn't given year after year after year to make it work, unlike Phoenix and Atlanta and Nashville and Florida and...

Second, the NHL only owns Phoenix because of their desperation to keep teams in the south. They could quite easily have bought Winnipeg and held on indefinitely for an owner, but the league chose not to. Their plans to move teams south were already evident by 1995.

Third, Chipman and Co. spent 4 years trying desperately to get a team. They had a building, they had a market, they had the money. Yet it still took 4 years. Phoenix in 1996 had nothing. A very shitty building for hockey, zero market, and questionable ownership (as evidenced by what's transpired in the intervening 15 years). Yet they were basically handed a franchise on pretty much zero notice. Remember, the team was supposed to go to Minnesota. Phoenix was the backup "anywhere but Winnipeg" plan. It certainly was not a well thought out move and it certainly did not take 4 years of planning with a brand new arena and one of the wealthiest men on the planet backing the purchase.

Lastly, Bettman's overall contempt for Winnipeg was evident as recently as 3 weeks ago during the initial TNSE press conference announcing the sale of the Thrashers. His exact words were "this better sell out or it won't work". Again, he's never once said anything remotely close to that about any other franchise. Hell, the NHL itself is currently running a franchise that does not see attendance hit 15,000, so it comes across as just a tad hypocritical.

Granted, considering the mess the NHL turned into in the late 90s and pretty much up till the lockout - it's probably best for Winnipeg that the Jets left. It would have been an unmitigated disaster financially. And to be fair, much of Bettman's position is really just him saying what the BoG says - so I don't view him as much more than a figurehead. But that doesn't change the fact that on several recorded occasions, owners willing to purchase and relocate failing teams to Canada have been entirely blocked by both Bettman and the BoG. Atlanta had to sit for something like 7 years trying to find another owner before they finally gave in. Winnipeg had basically one year. Quebec had even less time.

The NHL for almost 20 years now has been about nothing more than expansion into non-traditional markets in pursuit of the always-elusive national US TV contract - with the expectation that Canadians would folow and support the game if only Toronto and Montreal remained. They've been very transparent about this, too. The only reason Winnipeg has a team today is that the southern experiment is collapsing on several fronts and they were facing contraction otherwise. The fact that Winnipeg - a small city of barely 700,000 - is expected to be in the top 10 in NHL revenue says everything about the current state of hockey in the US. But if there were still US owners willing to piss away tens of millions each year... this would never have happened.

Anyway, I'm surprised anyone would defend Bettman or the BoG on this. They've been very clear on their opinion on the whole Canada vs US thing. Bettman's given lip service about his efforts to "save" Edmonton and Ottawa - but both teams were very close to moving and plans were in the works for a southern US location for both. Houston for the Oilers although I forget where Ottawa was planned for.

rrskylar
Jun 26, 2011, 3:08 PM
^freeweed you bring up some very good points, I for one was swaying to the side of "give Bettman a break" but in reality he shouldn't get one when it comes to hockey in Canadian markets!

He has been dead wrong about the viability of hockey in Canada and both Quebec City and Hamilton could undoubtedly repeat what Winnipeg has done in terms of support and tickets sales!

Joshy
Jun 26, 2011, 3:39 PM
Only if you ignore history (both past and recent) is this post correct.

Firstly, there were several potential ownership groups in Winnipeg in 1995, one of which included Mark Chipman. At the time Bettman put some ridiculous condition like requiring a net worth of $600 million (the exact figure escapes me) on any local owner. No other owners before or since have been subject to this condition. There simply wasn't enough time to work things out. Winnipeg wasn't given year after year after year to make it work, unlike Phoenix and Atlanta and Nashville and Florida and...

Second, the NHL only owns Phoenix because of their desperation to keep teams in the south. They could quite easily have bought Winnipeg and held on indefinitely for an owner, but the league chose not to. Their plans to move teams south were already evident by 1995.

Third, Chipman and Co. spent 4 years trying desperately to get a team. They had a building, they had a market, they had the money. Yet it still took 4 years. Phoenix in 1996 had nothing. A very shitty building for hockey, zero market, and questionable ownership (as evidenced by what's transpired in the intervening 15 years). Yet they were basically handed a franchise on pretty much zero notice. Remember, the team was supposed to go to Minnesota. Phoenix was the backup "anywhere but Winnipeg" plan. It certainly was not a well thought out move and it certainly did not take 4 years of planning with a brand new arena and one of the wealthiest men on the planet backing the purchase.

Lastly, Bettman's overall contempt for Winnipeg was evident as recently as 3 weeks ago during the initial TNSE press conference announcing the sale of the Thrashers. His exact words were "this better sell out or it won't work". Again, he's never once said anything remotely close to that about any other franchise. Hell, the NHL itself is currently running a franchise that does not see attendance hit 15,000, so it comes across as just a tad hypocritical.

Granted, considering the mess the NHL turned into in the late 90s and pretty much up till the lockout - it's probably best for Winnipeg that the Jets left. It would have been an unmitigated disaster financially. And to be fair, much of Bettman's position is really just him saying what the BoG says - so I don't view him as much more than a figurehead. But that doesn't change the fact that on several recorded occasions, owners willing to purchase and relocate failing teams to Canada have been entirely blocked by both Bettman and the BoG. Atlanta had to sit for something like 7 years trying to find another owner before they finally gave in. Winnipeg had basically one year. Quebec had even less time.

The NHL for almost 20 years now has been about nothing more than expansion into non-traditional markets in pursuit of the always-elusive national US TV contract - with the expectation that Canadians would folow and support the game if only Toronto and Montreal remained. They've been very transparent about this, too. The only reason Winnipeg has a team today is that the southern experiment is collapsing on several fronts and they were facing contraction otherwise. The fact that Winnipeg - a small city of barely 700,000 - is expected to be in the top 10 in NHL revenue says everything about the current state of hockey in the US. But if there were still US owners willing to piss away tens of millions each year... this would never have happened.

Anyway, I'm surprised anyone would defend Bettman or the BoG on this. They've been very clear on their opinion on the whole Canada vs US thing. Bettman's given lip service about his efforts to "save" Edmonton and Ottawa - but both teams were very close to moving and plans were in the works for a southern US location for both. Houston for the Oilers although I forget where Ottawa was planned for.

I couldn't have said this better myself. Well put. I would just like to add that another reason for fighting so hard to keep The Coyotes in Arizona is the arena (Jobbing.Com) in Glendale. It's pretty much brand-spanking new and from what I have heard, has multiple investors involved, including international investments. For a team to be relocated from this would send red flags to any future potential investors to build high-class arenas for any team, especially in the south. Bettman and the BOG want to continue to provide the allusion that everything is okay in the south, and this is one way of doing just that, but only time will tell if this oasis in the desert is the real deal or just another mirage.

freeweed
Jun 26, 2011, 3:41 PM
Well, he's been dead wrong in the past but may be coming around, finally. I'm willing to forgive (but never forget) depending on what happens next. His statement at the draft was the first genuine indication that I've seen that he might have had a revelation about Canada - until then you could tell it was just killing him inside.

freeweed
Jun 26, 2011, 3:45 PM
I couldn't have said this better myself. Well put. I would just like to add that another reason for fighting so hard to keep The Coyotes in Arizona is the arena (Jobbing.Com) in Glendale. It's pretty much brand-spanking new and from what I have heard, has multiple investors involved, including international investments. For a team to be relocated from this would send red flags to any future potential investors to build high-class arenas for any team, especially in the south. Bettman and the BOG want to continue to provide the allusion that everything is okay in the south, and this is one way of doing just that, but only time will tell if this oasis in the desert is the real deal or just another mirage.

Oh, the publicly-funded arena (with no other major tenant, unlike Atlanta) certainly is a huge part of it. The NHL has to keep up the pretense that spending $300+ million in public funds is a good idea, or else their entire house of cards collapses.

There's 2 pieces of irony here: first - the only way Phoenix has remained in place is due to massive public subsidies directly towards the team. Which shows how much of a disaster the model is. Second, Westgate is going into receivership from what I understand. So the supposed "economic spin-offs" from a municipality pissing away hundreds of millions of dollars is... well, virtually non-existent from the looks of things.

I really don't know how they can spin this into a positive. All I really care at this point is that I have a trip planned to Phoenix for the Oct 15 game, to cheer on the Jets amongst the crowd of 8000 locals. :haha:

Joshy
Jun 26, 2011, 4:03 PM
All I really care at this point is that I have a trip planned to Phoenix for the Oct 15 game, to cheer on the Jets amongst the crowd of 8000 locals. :haha:

Me too. I also am planning on hitting up back to back games in Tampa Bay and Miami in February. Gotta take advantage of being in the SE division while it lasts :D

Andy6
Jun 26, 2011, 4:21 PM
^freeweed you bring up some very good points, I for one was swaying to the side of "give Bettman a break" but in reality he shouldn't get one when it comes to hockey in Canadian markets!

He has been dead wrong about the viability of hockey in Canada and both Quebec City and Hamilton could undoubtedly repeat what Winnipeg has done in terms of support and tickets sales!

True, but he is running a league that has to have an overall strategy. It might be the case that individual cities in Canada would do well in the NHL, but it doesn't follow from that that adding those cities makes sense for the league as an entity. If the goal of getting a major US TV contract, and becoming truly the equal of the NBA as a media property, were hampered by adding too many Canadian teams, then even if those teams made lots of money it would be a bad move for the NHL as a business to add them. That's like any business deciding on locations or product lines -- you don't just add every location and product line that would make a profit without a view to how those locations and products fit with your overall strategy.

In 1995 it seemed that the goal of becoming the next NBA (the NBA itself having been the poor man of pro sports not that long before) was a reasonable goal. It's his job to grow the business of the NHL (the NHL being a business). So even if you discount the fact that the Jets had no owners and no arena, were playing in the smallest market in pro sports (and a pretty blue-collar market at that, especially in the 90s), the dollar was at 67 cents and the team was being propped up by repeated infusions of tax dollars, I think you have to admit that Bettman was just doing his job by moving the league's focus to markets where the potential return was far greater. I know it's hard, from a "hometown proud" standpoint, to admit this, but it's true. However, in the intervening 15 years, things have changed. The southern strategy hasn't completely bombed, but it hasn't succeeded nearly as well as hoped. The economy of Canada has rebounded. Winnipeg has done its homework, has an arena, a sound business strategy and excellent ownership. The economy of places like Phoenix has tanked. Without droning on too long, I think we should just meet Bettman halfway ... if he's prepared to get on board with us, as he clearly is, then we should admit that he's a CEO who's quite properly looking to the best interests of his business, which in 1995 could not by any rational person be said to include a presence in Winnipeg and which today do include such a presence.

Anyway, I'm hoping the positivity of the return of the Jets being won't be poisoned by endlessly dredging up the bitterness of 1996. Forget all that: as Cactus Jack used to say, "and it all turned out nice again, didn't it".

albertantraingeek
Jun 26, 2011, 4:55 PM
both Quebec City and Hamilton could undoubtedly repeat what Winnipeg has done in terms of support and tickets sales!

Yes, if QC would stop asking for federal funds to build their new arena. :haha:

freeweed
Jun 26, 2011, 5:08 PM
Anyway, I'm hoping the positivity of the return of the Jets being won't be poisoned by endlessly dredging up the bitterness of 1996. Forget all that: as Cactus Jack used to say, "and it all turned out nice again, didn't it".

Considering this is a city that STILL talks bitterly about how badly the WHA was treated when the 4 teams were merged into the NHL over 30 years ago - most Canadian clubs voted against the merger until a massive beer boycott convinced sponsors and owners otherwise, the merger left the Canadian clubs completely destroyed in terms of personnel - there will always be a contingent of hardcore folks who will never forgive and forget.

I think most people are getting over it though. Unlike in 1979 where Winnipeg needed the NHL, Winnipeg is now sitting in a position of strength - the NHL NEEDED WINNIPEG. There's really no other way to say this, but short of contraction (or a complete miracle turnaround in half a dozen franchises) the league will be relying on Canadian cities for quite some time to come.

Bettman will still be heavily boo'd in any Canadian rink he shows his face in, but that's become just another part of the spectacle. He seems to revel in it these days.

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 26, 2011, 5:17 PM
A fun way to look at all this that has transpired over the years, is to think of the NHL as a prestigious university with Bettman as dean. That noisy little pain in the butt fraternity Jets were finally gone, but were always looking for a way back in. We grew in memebership and financially and Dean Bettman begrudgingley let us back in, and the first big shindig the university has(draft) we showup in the peanut gallery to boo him unmercifully. Love it! This has been the premise of every frat movie out there LOL. But the rebirth of the Jets saga has had so many twists and turns, emotional highs and lows that it would make a pretty good film on its own. Now I'm not talking Universal/Columbia but a tv movie ala CBC would work. Just some Sunday morning ramblings :cheers:

freeweed
Jun 26, 2011, 5:49 PM
A TV movie about the entire Jets saga would be amazing. Hell even just a good documentary. From the WHL to the WHA to the NHL to the desert and back again. Certainly plenty of drama and historical footage available.

Bdog
Jun 26, 2011, 6:52 PM
:banana:A TV movie about the entire Jets saga would be amazing. Hell even just a good documentary. From the WHL to the WHA to the NHL to the desert and back again. Certainly plenty of drama and historical footage available.

Free press is Publishing a book this fall...

khabibulin
Jun 27, 2011, 4:15 PM
Yes, at first I couldn't figure out why they were booing then put two and two together. Good for them this is St.Pauls day.

The crowd was in a feisty mood. I found it rather embarassing for them when Gauthier stepped up to the podium to announce the Habs first round pick. Well, he started with a few words in French and the crowd started booing and chanting USA...USA. Unfortunate incident.

Acajack
Jun 27, 2011, 5:27 PM
Bingo! Right on the mark.

headhorse
Jun 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
Ladd, Wheeler get qualifying offers

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Ladd-Wheeler-see-qualifying-offers-from-Jets-124618789.html

wayward_prince
Jun 27, 2011, 10:26 PM
Go Jets Go:cool:

Calgarian
Jun 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
Any idea when the logo will be released? I'm really interested to see it.

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jun 27, 2011, 11:52 PM
Any idea when the logo will be released? I'm really interested to see it.

TNSE is stating late summer but I would gather it would be sooner. Anybody on here remember the last logo change in 89 they had the release party at Grapees Pier 7 called the June Jetogether(I kid u not) a couple of jets modelled the jerseys while some models showed off the casual wear. I recall it being on TV either CKY or CKND.

DLLB
Jun 27, 2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, if QC would stop asking for federal funds to build their new arena. :haha:

They should get the same funding Winiipeg got and nothing more.

Joshy
Jun 28, 2011, 3:27 AM
Matty Hustler is OUT!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/2011/06/27/20110627phoenix-coyotes-matthew-hulsizer-pulls-bid.html#comments

And the funny part is those moronic Phonecians are STILL obsessed with trashing Winnipeg, wishing Hamilton and QC good luck, but hoping our franchise fails. Here is to hoping they lose their team and never get one back! After all the Winnipeg trashing they have done, they deserve everything that is coming to them!

rrskylar
Jun 28, 2011, 4:23 AM
Moving the Coyotes to either Quebec City or Hamilton is a no brainer, watch them fight it out next year!

Mininari
Jun 28, 2011, 7:54 PM
We'll see eh? Glendale is beyond desperate to keep the team where it is.
I'm willing to bet season ticket sales will be non-existent for the coyotes... watch the building fill up for popular visiting teams though... keep those 3 for 1 deals coming... buck beers, buck hotdogs... free parking... etc. etc.

p.s. Good luck Quebec City. Get your building U/C, and start watching "As the Coyote Howls," live from Glendale city council chambers, starting ... now!

(dubbed french available).

heh... I wonder what will happen if Phoenix fans start bashing Quebecers...

And I wonder what Ilya will think of our "parkless" city when he has to come here with the Flyers next season...

Too much fun!

rrskylar
Jun 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
^ LOL!

It will be great to see poor old Shane Doan standing in front of his palatial Phoenix mansion now worth about $199K, wearing a Coyotes snuggly as he enters these words; " my poor kids don't know the cold, they can't speak French, what will become of poor us in Quebec City, what are we to do, pray for us!"

vid
Jun 29, 2011, 12:52 AM
We'll see eh? Glendale is beyond desperate to keep the team where it is.

Justify one white elephant with another. People in Thunder Bay are trying to do that by asking city council to build our multiplex in a business park that was laid out in 1994 but only has two tenants—a bankrupt forest company and the federal government.

Adding bad decisions on top of bad decisions just makes for worse decisions.

North of 49
Jun 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
Any news on the official logo and color scheme for the Jets. I heard of black silver and white, from a not so reliable source. That would be cool colours....hopefully the logo wont be mickey mousy.

wayward_prince
Jul 2, 2011, 2:01 AM
Go jets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1ajs
Jul 7, 2011, 4:25 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/american-hockey-league-honours-chipman-for-his-service-to-the-league.html

interesting read the last line

h0twired
Jul 7, 2011, 4:38 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/american-hockey-league-honours-chipman-for-his-service-to-the-league.html

interesting read the last line

The Moose moved to St. John's, N.L., and will serve as the Jets affiliate next season.

Nothing new here.

drew
Jul 7, 2011, 4:39 PM
^ pretty sure he's talking about that new sports/VLT lounge that will be going into City Place. A lot of the current leaseable space in the "mall" (used loosely since it's about 50% empty) will be swallowed up by this development...

SKYSTHELIMIT
Jul 9, 2011, 9:03 PM
Jets aquire Eric Fehr from the Capitals for Danick paquette and next years 4th round pick. Good ol Winkler boy coming home.:tup:

rrskylar
Jul 11, 2011, 4:48 AM
Guess Dustin Penner isn't far behind in Jet's signings!:cool:

Bdog
Jul 11, 2011, 5:07 AM
Looks like Moose, Falcons, and Polar Bears were seriously considered for the team's name...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/and-you-think-weather-affects-your-ups-n-downs-125259674.html

JustinL
Jul 11, 2011, 7:23 AM
^If those were the options, thank goodness the Jets won out. I wouldn't have minded the Falcons either, but the Moose are an AHL team, and the polar bears are just...no.

freeweed
Jul 15, 2011, 8:23 PM
Looks like Moose, Falcons, and Polar Bears were seriously considered for the team's name...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/and-you-think-weather-affects-your-ups-n-downs-125259674.html

Huh, finally confirmed (it was yet another "open secret" that those were the top 3 contenders back in May).

I don't understand quite why so many people think "Moose" is such a minor league name. We have the Penguins and Ducks for shit's sake. Those are just as if not more goofy and amateur sounding - until you get used to them. Which we would have with the Moose.

I'm happy with Jets, because it pretty much guarantees decent colours. Never was a fan of the green. Green is hard to do right in hockey.

JustinL
Jul 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think its that Moose is a minor league name in and of itself - It's been the franchise name of our IHL/AHL team ever since 1996. I think a lot of us look fondly on the Moose, but we still associate the name with the AHL. Its definately a phsychological bit - but hey, I think thats why a team name is important.

That, and, a lot of us wanted "Winnipeg", not "Mantiboa".

freeweed
Jul 15, 2011, 11:33 PM
I don't think its that Moose is a minor league name in and of itself - It's been the franchise name of our IHL/AHL team ever since 1996. I think a lot of us look fondly on the Moose, but we still associate the name with the AHL. Its definately a phsychological bit - but hey, I think thats why a team name is important.

Yeah, but "Jets" was a minor league team name at first too, and it worked just fine. I just don't see it being a compelling argument considering the history of hockey in Winnipeg.

That, and, a lot of us wanted "Winnipeg", not "Mantiboa".

THIS I agree with. While the MM alliteration had charm, I otherwise HATE teams named after a province/state. I just can't think of a good reason why except in the case of twin city type situation.

vid
Jul 16, 2011, 7:19 PM
"Disney Presents the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" is "major league"?

Does Anaheim even have ducks?

JustinL
Jul 16, 2011, 8:54 PM
Yeah, but "Jets" was a minor league team name at first too, and it worked just fine. I just don't see it being a compelling argument considering the history of hockey in Winnipeg.

You make a good point ,but I still think that what may have worked in the 70s may not work today. WHA wasn't what the NHL is today. In the minds of most peggers, Moose and AHL go hand in hand. I think it has a lot to do with losing the Jets...and "now we got the moose" as consolation.

Andy6
Jul 16, 2011, 10:35 PM
You make a good point ,but I still think that what may have worked in the 70s may not work today. WHA wasn't what the NHL is today. In the minds of most peggers, Moose and AHL go hand in hand. I think it has a lot to do with losing the Jets...and "now we got the moose" as consolation.

"Moose" is a minor league name in the sense of being a jokey, slightly undignified name (no offence to any actual moose intended) of the sort that minor leagues choose because (a) they don't want to duplicate major-league names and (b) they tend to want to appeal to young families that can't afford major-league sports and to sell cartoon-ish animal logo merchandise to their kids. "Jets" might have been, briefly, the name of a junior team in Winnipeg, but it wasn't and isn't "minor league".

rrskylar
Jul 21, 2011, 5:25 PM
CJOB loses out on Jets hockey broadcasts

From the Freep:

TSN to televise Jets games
By: Ed Tait

Hockey has found a new home on the radio dial in Winnipeg.
The Free Press has learned the Jets are expected to announce within the next few days that they have come to an agreement on a new broadcast agreement with The Sports Network and Bell Media that means the NHL’s return will be televised on TSN and broadcast on TSN radio.
That means that Sports Radio 1290 in Winnipeg – Bell Media also owns Fab 94.3 and Bob FM -- will likely now broadcast Jets games, effectively ending a long association between True North Sports and Entertainment and CJOB, which has held the radio rights for the Manitoba Moose for the past 15 years and the Jets prior to that.
TSN’s package deal – the chance to have TV and radio games handled by the same partner – was said to be very attractive to Jets’ management. TSN and Bell Media landed the English-language radio rights for the Montreal Canadiens last month and also hold the rights in Vancouver and Ottawa.
True North Senior Director, Corporate Communications Scott Brown said a broadcast announcement was coming soon, but preferred not to get into any details on the agreement.
Ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

Hopefully they won't hire Brian Munz and Curt Kielback returns as the voice of the Jets!

h0twired
Jul 21, 2011, 5:28 PM
Excellent!

I hate CJOB.