PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

buzzg
May 12, 2018, 6:14 PM
The city put up real street signs on Donald naming in Whiteout Way

Jets4Life
May 13, 2018, 11:21 AM
This could be a very short series. It's obvious from watching the game that Nashville was, by far, our toughest test. The Jets are larger, stronger, more intimidating, faster, and have more depth than Vegas. The only way I can see Vegas defeating us, is if our star players get hurt, Hellebuyck gets injured, or Fleury absolutely stands on his head.

Vegas is not Nashville. Jets in 5.

esquire
May 13, 2018, 1:54 PM
^ Jets looked like they were in control of the game's pace in a way that they seldom were in the series vs. Nashville. I figured that this would be a short series one way or the other... but if the early indications are reliable then it's looking really good for the Jets.

mitchellk12
May 13, 2018, 1:57 PM
Jets and Lightning would be a heck of a series . I was actually quite surprised at the outcome of the game last night. If Winnipeg is playing like they did in Game #1 WCF, i think theyll make it all the way. Ive noticed out of all teams so far these playoffs , the jets seem to be the strongest team when they are on their game.

The Jabroni
May 13, 2018, 6:56 PM
That was a great game last night. The Jets pretty much had that whole game in control.

Although, I'm still cautious about Vegas, as they're no slouch either. Let's see what happens tomorrow, as I expect Flowers and the Knights in front of him will make it even tougher for us.

One thing is for certain is that if we can beat Nashville, we can beat anybody.

But again, one game at a time. ;)

cllew
May 15, 2018, 1:41 AM
Apparently the Royal Bank building downtown flashes red when the Jets score.

Biff
May 15, 2018, 1:23 PM
This is it - I don't know how to link a video from Twitter.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/996118340451098625

Brian Lawrie@BLAW85 on Twitter

bomberjet
May 15, 2018, 1:41 PM
Awesome.

Crisis
May 15, 2018, 2:16 PM
This could be a very short series. It's obvious from watching the game that Nashville was, by far, our toughest test. The Jets are larger, stronger, more intimidating, faster, and have more depth than Vegas. The only way I can see Vegas defeating us, is if our star players get hurt, Hellebuyck gets injured, or Fleury absolutely stands on his head.

Vegas is not Nashville. Jets in 5.

Just wanting to immortalize that post.

bomberjet
May 15, 2018, 2:31 PM
That's still possible.

Crisis
May 15, 2018, 3:56 PM
^^^ Agreed - still possible.

I just thought that "It's obvious from watching the game that Nashville was, by far, our toughest test. The Jets are larger, stronger, more intimidating, faster, and have more depth than Vegas" was a little over the top based on one game. Remember Game 6 in the Nashville series? - One game does not foretell the outcome of any future games.

Go Jets!

bomberjet
May 15, 2018, 4:26 PM
You should check #NHLJets Twitter! haha Oh man, it's terrible.

After each win or loss, it's the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Someone may have said that in here already.

And when you try to be the level-headed, "okay it was one game" type of person, you get shit on, called a troll and blocked by numerous people. I mostly go there for the news, not the conversations.

VANRIDERFAN
May 15, 2018, 5:21 PM
You should check #NHLJets Twitter! haha Oh man, it's terrible.

After each win or loss, it's the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Someone may have said that in here already.

And when you try to be the level-headed, "okay it was one game" type of person, you get shit on, called a troll and blocked by numerous people. I mostly go there for the news, not the conversations.

I learned long ago that nothing I say or do will change the outcome of the game, the way players play or what decisions the coach makes.

So I cheer and groan during the game and once its over I don't dwell on the outcome (well not too much anyway). Much easier to get a good nights sleep!

Biff
May 15, 2018, 5:35 PM
On Twitter today...apparently Trouba has instructed his agent that he would like to try and sign a long term deal with Winnipeg now.

A winning atmosphere does a lot more to entice talent than what city it is that you may play in.

Go Jets Go!

Tacheguy
May 15, 2018, 7:37 PM
my theory is that some Jets are, for the first time, experiencing how nice the weather here is in May:yes:. I think people watching on tv might be surprised as well. personally I don't think there is place on the planet that is nicer than here from early may to late September.

Jets4Life
May 15, 2018, 11:23 PM
^^^ Agreed - still possible.

I just thought that "It's obvious from watching the game that Nashville was, by far, our toughest test. The Jets are larger, stronger, more intimidating, faster, and have more depth than Vegas" was a little over the top based on one game. Remember Game 6 in the Nashville series? - One game does not foretell the outcome of any future games.

Go Jets!

It's mainly true. Vegas has the hottest goalie in the league right now, and the system they implement is causing the Jets problems, when it comes to turnovers. However, the Jets outhit, outshot, and from all statistical charts, were playing better. Unfortunately a hot goalie can steal games. Hellebuyck was average, and Fleury was lights out.

Jets4Life
May 15, 2018, 11:24 PM
On Twitter today...apparently Trouba has instructed his agent that he would like to try and sign a long term deal with Winnipeg now.

A winning atmosphere does a lot more to entice talent than what city it is that you may play in.

Go Jets Go!

That is great news. I hope contract negotiations go smoothly. Chevy has his work cut out for him this summer.

The Jabroni
May 15, 2018, 11:56 PM
I'd love to have Stastny signing with us, but the concern is the cap hit. Word on the street though is that he bought a house in Winnipeg, but I'm not sure if it's true. If it is though, it would be amazing, as he has already proven to be a great fit for the Jets.

Hearing Trouba wanting to re-sign with the Jets is a very good sign. Hopefully it happens.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 12:42 AM
I'd love to have Stastny signing with us, but the concern is the cap hit. Word on the street though is that he bought a house in Winnipeg, but I'm not sure if it's true. If it is though, it would be amazing, as he has already proven to be a great fit for the Jets.

Hearing Trouba wanting to re-sign with the Jets is a very good sign. Hopefully it happens.

Yes, if we keep Stastny, decisions will have to be made in the off-season on who to keep. As of today, these players are unsigned for 2018-19:

Adam Lowry ($1.125M) RFA
Joel Armia ($925,000) RFA
Marko Dano ($850,000) RFA
Brandon Tanev ($700,000) RFA
Paul Stastny ($7.0M) UFA
Shawn Matthias ($2,125M) UFA
Matt Hendricks ($700,000) UFA

Jacob Trouba ($2.812M) RFA
Toby Enstrom ($5.75M) UFA
Josh Morrissey ($863,000) RFA
Tucker Poolman ($925,000) RFA
Joe Morrow ($650,000) UFA

Connor Hellebuyck ($2.25M) RFA
Michael Hutchinson ($1.15M) UFA
-------

Trouba will be asking for about $7,000,000
Morrissey will be asking for between $5-6 million
Lowry will be looking at $2.0m
Armia will be looking at $1.2-1.5M
Stastny will be looking at 6.0M
Tanev will be looking at $1.2-1.5M
Poolman will be looking at $1.2-1.5M
Hellebuyck will be looking at $5-6 million

Enstrom will be released
Dano will be released
Matthais will be released
Hendricks will be released
Morrow will likely be released
Hutchinsons will be released

We have to make some decisions. My guess is Little, Kulikov, an Myers will be on the trading block. If the Jets sign Stastny, they will definitely try and deal Little. If the Jets sign Trouba, they will definitely try and deal Myers. Kulikov may stay with the Jets, but I would not be surprised if he is traded. Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine will have to be signed by 2019, so Chevy will have to keep them into consideration.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 10:38 AM
I learned long ago that nothing I say or do will change the outcome of the game, the way players play or what decisions the coach makes.

So I cheer and groan during the game and once its over I don't dwell on the outcome (well not too much anyway). Much easier to get a good nights sleep!

I find praying to God helps.

dmacc
May 16, 2018, 1:22 PM
There is no way to resign Stastny with all the contracts coming up in the next 2 years. Laine will cost a lot of money and Connor won't be cheap either. We can only hope the cap keeps jumping like it is expected to next year. Roslovic is the key for next year. He needs to take the 3rd/2nd line centre roll and run with it.

bomberjet
May 16, 2018, 1:56 PM
Laine will be signed this summer, but the contract won't take effect until after next season with his entry level expires. So we'll know what he'll cost pretty soon. I think Connor also has another year on entry level. So may be in same boat as Laine.

bomberjet
May 16, 2018, 2:00 PM
Here's the Jets cap hits from: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
AAV and actual cost are also available on the website.

https://i.imgur.com/7p4d7K1h.jpg

dmacc
May 16, 2018, 2:17 PM
Laine will be signed this summer, but the contract won't take effect until after next season with his entry level expires. So we'll know what he'll cost pretty soon. I think Connor also has another year on entry level. So may be in same boat as Laine.

They won't take effect for another year but it is still a cost that will affect how we sign players who's contracts take effect next season. Stastny will look for more then a 1 year deal and we can't afford him past next season. I say we start with Roslovic at 3rd line centre. If either him or Little aren't carrying their weight by the deadline you try and trade for a another centre and move one of the two to the wing.

Our only saving grace is Myers and Mason aren't signed past next season which will open up 9.5 mil in cap space.

buzzg
May 16, 2018, 2:19 PM
The salary cap is only increasing $3–8 million, doesn't really make room for additional contracts, just allows the basic natural increase/inflation in new signings, which we will have a lot of.

It seems like the league – both players, agents, and teams alike – are realizing these mega-contracts are a big hindrance to success. If you want to play for a winning team, you need to sign a reasonable contract. Chevy so far is the king of signing longer deals (5-6 years) for lower salaries. Chicago is absolutely screwed until they get rid of Kane or Toews ($13.8m/yr each) which is 38% of their cap space – impossible to keep a good team around them. The other teams with mega contracts were also bad this year like Weber in Montreal, Kopitar in LA, Benn in Dallas.

CoryB
May 16, 2018, 2:40 PM
If the Jets trade Perreault this offseason and give his roster spot to Roslovic that should free up enough salary dollars to make a Stastny deal workable.

dmacc
May 16, 2018, 2:52 PM
If the Jets trade Perreault this offseason and give his roster spot to Roslovic that should free up enough salary dollars to make a Stastny deal workable.

I would rather keep Perrault. Roslovic could be a good centre for us. Our team did just fine before Stastny joined the team and we will do just fine without him.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 4:15 PM
They won't take effect for another year but it is still a cost that will affect how we sign players who's contracts take effect next season. Stastny will look for more then a 1 year deal and we can't afford him past next season. I say we start with Roslovic at 3rd line centre. If either him or Little aren't carrying their weight by the deadline you try and trade for a another centre and move one of the two to the wing.

Our only saving grace is Myers and Mason aren't signed past next season which will open up 9.5 mil in cap space.

If we sign Trouba to a long term contract, similar to Scheifele, there is virtually no chance we keep three RHD around, all paid over $5,000,000. The Jets would move Poolman up to 3rd pairing D-man, and trade Myers.

I doubt the Jets sign Stastny long term, but if they do, there will be no room for Little, so the Jets have to decide who to keep around. My gut feeling is we will let Stastny walk.

It may be a good idea to keep Mason around, as he would be virtually untradeable, with his injuries, but would come in handy as a backup. Mason only has one year left on his contract anyhow. Hutch has been pretty vocal about being unhappy with his role with the Jets, and Comrie may never make it to the NHL except for the odd cup of tea.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 4:54 PM

We may need to trade Perreault or Little due to cap space restraints. Roslovic is a Centre, who has been playing the role of winger. Once he improves his defensive play, the Jets will use him as a bottom 6 centre accordingly. So in terms of depth, we have:

1) Connor (RFA 2019) / Scheifele / Wheeler (UFA 2019)
2) Ehlers / Stastny* (UFA 2018) / Laine (RFA 2019)
3) Perreault / Little / Tanev (RFA 2018)
4) Copp (RFA 2019) / Lowry (RFA 2018) / Armia (RFA 2018)

Others:

Roslovic (C)
Dano (C/LW)
Matthias (LW)
Petan (LW)
Hendricks (C)

Defense:

1) Morrissey (RFA 2018) / Trouba (RFA 2018)
2) Enstrom* (UFA 2018) / Byfuglien
3) Kulikov (UFA 2020) / Myers* (UFA 2019)
extra: CHiarot (UFA 2019)

Others:

Chiarot (LHD)
Poolman (RHD)
Niku (LHD)
Morrow (LHD)

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck (RFA 2018)
2) Mason* (UFA 2019)
3) Hutchinson (UFA 2018)
4) Comrie (RFA 2018)

Chevy obviously has his work cut out for him He will need to give big raises to or resign:

Laine
Connor
Morrissey
Trouba
Hellebuyck
Wheeler

Jets likely to be gone through trades/buyout/unsigned/etc:

Matthias
Hendricks
Dano (likely will be in Europe next year)
Perreault (if Vesalainen comes over from Europe)
Stastny (if the Jets cannot trade Little)
Myers (no cap room)
Enstrom (will almost certainly not be signed and return to Sweden, likely replaced by Niku)
Kulikov* (could be bought out or placed on the LTIR if back injury is career threatening)
Hutchinson (unhappy with role in Jets organization)

My prediction for 2018-19:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little or Stastny - Laine
Vesalainen - Lowry - Tanev
Copp - Roslovic - Armia
-----------------------------
Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku - Poolman
extra: ?

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck
2) Mason
3) Comrie

bomberjet
May 16, 2018, 5:03 PM
^Veaslainen may make a push for a roster spot. He's lit up the finnish league this season. I also think they'll re-sign Enstrom. Otherwise you're spot on. minimal changes required.

Maybe Chevy makes a deal for another good D??

bomberjet
May 16, 2018, 5:05 PM
Any predictions for tonight's game? I'm expecting another Winnipeg road victory. I have more confidence with them on the road lately, than at home.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 5:07 PM
^Veaslainen may make a push for a roster spot. He's lit up the finnish league this season. I also think they'll re-sign Enstrom. Otherwise you're spot on. minimal changes required.

Maybe Chevy makes a deal for another good D??

If Vesalainen takes a roster spot, we can trade either Perreault or Little, due to cap restraints. That would be an ideal situation.

No chance the Jets resign Enstrom. They don't have the cap space, he is going to be 34, and most importantly, there are strong indications that Enstrom will want to play in Sweden, as his wife was diagnosed with cancer, and Enstrom missed games to travel back to Sweden to see her after the diagnosis.

If Chevy makes a deal for a D-man, I hope it is a prospect or two. We can use future depth on the blueline, especially if Stanley does not pan out.

dmacc
May 16, 2018, 5:08 PM
My prediction for 2018-19:

Connor - Scheifele -Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perreault - Lowry - Tanev
Copp - Roslovic - Armia
-----------------------------
Morrissey - Trouba
Chiarot - Byfuglien
Niku - Poolman
extra: ?

Goalies:

1) Hellebuyck
2) Mason
3) Comrie

I think:

Connor - Sheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Perrault - Roslovic - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrisey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Niku - Myers

Hellebuyck
Mason

I don't think you can put Roslovic on the fourth line. He is too skilled to be down there.

Jets4Life
May 16, 2018, 5:31 PM
Any predictions for tonight's game? I'm expecting another Winnipeg road victory. I have more confidence with them on the road lately, than at home.

I hope I am wrong, but my heart says the Jets, but my mind says Vegas. I think it will take us another game to solve the Knights, and rattle Fleury, and Vegas will be fired up in front of their home crowd.

Biff
May 16, 2018, 6:27 PM
Jets win after a loss. Hellebuyck plays lights out. We win 5-2. The test is can we win 2 in a row.

cllew
May 17, 2018, 2:38 AM
Just came home along Portage and Main and saw that the Richardson Bldg has a big moving Jets logo projected on the building. I guess it was not cloudy enough for them do to it in the sky like the "Bat Signal"

Ando
May 17, 2018, 5:00 AM
The Enstrom army isn’t going to like it but he was singled out by the panel after the second period for his poor play. In particular, they highlighted his bad decisions on changes which have led to goals. Enstrom will not be back next year unless he takes a big pay cut and is okay with being a seventh defenceman. But my prediction is he is gone. Okay Enstrom army, unleash your wrath.

BigG
May 17, 2018, 12:47 PM
Well, I agree with you. I was never an Enstrom fan.

Biff
May 17, 2018, 1:19 PM
Wow, the turnovers last night just killed us. Sheifele coughing it up instead of getting it deep for the first, Laine not getting an easy puck out of the zone contributing to the second and Helleybuck giving it away then slipping on the banana peel for the third. It seems to me the Jets are trying to over complicate things. A lot of times they are in a scoring position and seem to do everything possible to take themselves out of a scoring chance and end up with nothing.

Shoot, damn-it....but hit the fucking net. I think mostly the thing that is hurting the Jets is right now we are a one line team. Scheifele and Wheeler are everything right now for the Jets. We really need some secondary scoring from someone.

I understand there are two teams playing and Fleury is playing amazing and the Nights speed is really challenging our team, but in the end...if we clean up a few things, I still think we will win.

esquire
May 17, 2018, 2:06 PM
^ The TV guys are really doing their best to sell Fleury as unbeatable but for whatever reason the Jets have looked kind of sluggish and simply haven't been able to mount a sustained attack to put pressure on him. It feels like it's always a haphazard rush, shot from way outside, VGK picks up the rebound and then back the other way again.

I don't know how you slow the other team down and maintain better possession in the offensive zone, but I'm convinced that even a marginal improvement on that front - say, one more legit chance per period - would have led to a wildly different outcome. Vegas is clearly a great team but they have shown that they're vulnerable, otherwise this series would be 3-0 now.

Anyway, I remain confident that the Jets can bounce back tomorrow. Hopefully Ehlers will be back in the lineup and come in with some rested legs.

Curmudgeon
May 17, 2018, 2:58 PM
A trio of very unfortunate mistakes, but otherwise the Jets outhit and outplayed the Knights. If they had played the whole game like they played the third the result would have been very different.

I still think they are the better team. In the first round, the Blue Jackets won the first two in Washington and then the Capitals stormed back to win four straight.

Anything can happen. Stay positive.

drew
May 17, 2018, 3:31 PM
We just can't spot them a goal in the first minute, and then buckle down and stop them from scoring right after we score.

I smell a win in game 4.

Biff
May 17, 2018, 3:47 PM
^^^^That's not what you smell.....sorry, I had Broccoli last night!

optimusREIM
May 17, 2018, 5:09 PM
^This :haha:

drew
May 17, 2018, 5:20 PM
So this is what winning smells like...

The Jabroni
May 17, 2018, 10:03 PM
Biff, you might need to add some more fibre to your diet. I mean, broccoli is a start, but gotta have some whole grain in there too, bud!

DavefromSt.Vital
May 18, 2018, 4:18 AM
My wife, son and I will be at Sunday's game.

Biff, if you are going to be at that game start adjusting your diet NOW!

CoryB
May 18, 2018, 3:45 PM
New Jets strategy -- collective eat so much broccoli the Knights are left gasping for air on the ice. It could work... :haha:

dmacc
May 18, 2018, 7:40 PM
In case any of you care, I will be getting rock star wasted in my underwear while cheering on the JETS!!! tonight. GO JETS GO! GO JETS GO! GO JETS GO!

that is all, thank you for caring.

dmacc
May 18, 2018, 7:42 PM
^^^In case you are concerned, this will be happening in the comfort of my own home and not out at some establishment.

Biff
May 18, 2018, 7:45 PM
I will be sipping tea and dining on crumpets around the dining table with my wife and two offspring, whilst taking in the Hockey match on the television machine.

I bid you a due.

.....Go Jets Go!

Jets4Life
May 19, 2018, 11:11 AM
We have to crash the net!!!

It's so frustrating to watch Fleury give up rebound after rebound. Fleury is not a top ranked goalie of the last decade. He has average career stats (0.914% season 0.913% playoffs) and it's debatable if he would ever get a sniff from the Hall of Fame if he was not on some stacked Penguins teams since 2007. I remember 2009, when the Penguins won their first cup, in spite of average goaltending from Fleury (0.908%). Or the infamous Flyers-Penguins series in 2012 (0.834%), where Philly lit up MAF like a joint.

In fact, if you look at MAF's career playoff stats, he is arguably the reason the Pens didn't repeat as champions in 2010 (0.891%), fell short in 2013 (0.883%), or almost cost the Pens the 2016 Stanley Cup (0.875%). Review some tapes of past seasons to see what rattled him. Fleury is not a 0.945% goalie. He's 33 and approaching the twilight of his career. Fleury can be rattled. It's happened time and time again. All we need is for Hellybuyck to play like the Nashville series, and pepper Fleury with shots, and have one man drive to the net as soon as that happens.

It may also be a good idea to tweek with our lineup slightly. Take Chiarot out, and put in Morrow. I would even flirt with replacing Myers with Poolman. That Chiarot/Myers 3rd pairing has been a disaster in this series.

The Jabroni
May 19, 2018, 11:55 AM
We have to crash the net!!!

It's so frustrating to watch Fleury give up rebound after rebound. Fleury is not a top ranked goalie of the last decade. He has average career stats (0.914% season 0.913% playoffs) and it's debatable if he would ever get a sniff from the Hall of Fame if he was not on some stacked Penguins teams since 2007. I remember 2009, when the Penguins won their first cup, in spite of average goaltending from Fleury (0.908%). Or the infamous Flyers-Penguins series in 2012 (0.834%), where Philly lit up MAF like a joint.

In fact, if you look at MAF's career playoff stats, he is arguably the reason the Pens didn't repeat as champions in 2010 (0.891%), fell short in 2013 (0.883%), or almost cost the Pens the 2016 Stanley Cup (0.875%). Review some tapes of past seasons to see what rattled him. Fleury is not a 0.945% goalie. He's 33 and approaching the twilight of his career. Fleury can be rattled. It's happened time and time again. All we need is for Hellybuyck to play like the Nashville series, and pepper Fleury with shots, and have one man drive to the net as soon as that happens.

It may also be a good idea to tweek with our lineup slightly. Take Chiarot out, and put in Morrow. I would even flirt with replacing Myers with Poolman. That Chiarot/Myers 3rd pairing has been a disaster in this series.

Agreed.

Might as well experiment at this point. Bring in Morrow, and scratch either Myers or Chiarot.

If Vegas can win 3 in a row, there's no question that Winnipeg can do the same. We've done it in the regular season a few times this year. There's no excuse for us to NOT do the same.

I mean, this 3-game losing skid is perhaps one of the worst ones we had all year!

Ando
May 19, 2018, 3:50 PM
Well, hellybuck’s puck handling around the net is horrendous and is costing them games. Byfuglien made one of his patented whiffs at the blue line that led to a goal.

buzzg
May 19, 2018, 6:11 PM
Agreed.

Might as well experiment at this point. Bring in Morrow, and scratch either Myers or Chiarot.

If Vegas can win 3 in a row, there's no question that Winnipeg can do the same. We've done it in the regular season a few times this year. There's no excuse for us to NOT do the same.

I mean, this 3-game losing skid is perhaps one of the worst ones we had all year!

Agreed, but scratch Enstrom. It IS the worst skid of the year, and we won 3 in a row 10 times this year – no reason we can't do it no, especially considering we really have controlled most of the play. Vegas is just too good on turnovers, and Fleury has made huge saves.

Well, hellybuck’s puck handling around the net is horrendous and is costing them games. Byfuglien made one of his patented whiffs at the blue line that led to a goal.

Yeah. Buff made the turnover, but that should have been an easy stop for Hellebuyck.

Jets4Life
May 20, 2018, 8:40 AM
Agreed.

I ran a poll on twitter. Fans want Morrow to start over Chiarot by a ratio of over 10:1. Only problem is Maurice is far too conservative, and has given the Myers/Chiarot pairing an abundance of ice time, despite their lackluster numbers.

Hellebuyck has to be far better as well. Vegas has taken advantage of Jets mistakes, but Helle is only 0.897% in this series, and is giving up goals at crucial times, like when the Jets work hard, and tie up the game. That just deflates the momentum of the team.

I believe in the Jets. I think they will force a Game 6, but even so it was a great run, and I am proud of them.

Andy6
May 20, 2018, 12:42 PM
I ran a poll on twitter. Fans want Morrow to start over Chiarot by a ratio of over 10:1. Only problem is Maurice is far too conservative, and has given the Myers/Chiarot pairing an abundance of ice time, despite their lackluster numbers.

Hellebuyck has to be far better as well. Vegas has taken advantage of Jets mistakes, but Helle is only 0.897% in this series, and is giving up goals at crucial times, like when the Jets work hard, and tie up the game. That just deflates the momentum of the team.

I believe in the Jets. I think they will force a Game 6, but even so it was a great run, and I am proud of them.

Fans always want the new thing, until they actually get it.

It’s been mostly bad luck so far, so I wouldn’t change anything. If they win today, the pressure shifts a bit.

drew
May 20, 2018, 12:58 PM
Agreed, but scratch Enstrom. It IS the worst skid of the year, and we won 3 in a row 10 times this year – no reason we can't do it no, especially considering we really have controlled most of the play. Vegas is just too good on turnovers, and Fleury has made huge saves.

Yeah. Buff made the turnover, but that should have been an easy stop for Hellebuyck.

Did you see a replay of that goal? It was a perfect shot. Bar down, high stick side. That one wasn't on helle.

Ando
May 20, 2018, 4:07 PM
Interesting interpretation - all the pundits are saying he should have saved it.

Jets4Life
May 20, 2018, 8:40 PM
Fans always want the new thing, until they actually get it.

It’s been mostly bad luck so far, so I wouldn’t change anything. If they win today, the pressure shifts a bit.

Except it's not a "new thing." Morrow played the first round, and IMHO, is better than Chiarot. I phoned Maurice last night, and we discussed the situation. He must have been listened to me, since Morrow and Kulikov are back in the lineup. Very strange that Kuli was a healthy scratch for the past week, and only gets in the lineup at the last minute.

YWG-RO
May 21, 2018, 2:16 AM
Great year Guys. Well done.

dmacc
May 22, 2018, 1:10 PM
At the end of the day it was a great run. If Maurice would have taken my calls I think I could have helped the team but I feel like the hockey gods did everything they could to sway the series. We were just as good as they were, we just never got a bounce. Now Chevy needs to go to work and make sure this team remains relatively unchanged without breaking the bank and we try again next year.

Ando
May 22, 2018, 2:14 PM
You will see changes next year. I doubt the third pairing is going to stay the same, I suspect Enstrom is on his way out, and there's no guarantee Statsny will stick around. There's also no guarantees on the third and fourth lines. New players will be moved in. But if done properly the team should be improved next year.

I should say though that I have never been convinced that Maurice is going to be the guy who can take them to the next level.

dmacc
May 22, 2018, 2:22 PM
You will see changes next year. I doubt the third pairing is going to stay the same, I suspect Enstrom is on his way out, and there's no guarantee Statsny will stick around. There's also no guarantees on the third and fourth lines. New players will be moved in. But if done properly the team should be improved next year.

I should say though that I have never been convinced that Maurice is going to be the guy who can take them to the next level.

I see Enstrom and Stastny as definitely not returning but with Roslovic, Appleton and Vaselainen waiting to get full time rolls on offense and Morrow, Niku, Kulikov, Morrisey on our left side defense. I think we are in great shape on both ends of the puck without having to make any real changes. We jsut need to make sure to manage the cap this year so we can sign everybody next year also. We have at least 8 major signings to make the next 2 years.

dennis
May 22, 2018, 3:42 PM
I hope kulikov stays healthy.

Andy6
May 22, 2018, 6:27 PM

No chance Stastny will be back. He’s way overvalued now, so some other team can and will overpay for him.

bomberjet
May 22, 2018, 8:44 PM
Which is unfortunate because he fit so well.

Jammon
May 23, 2018, 7:27 PM
Which is unfortunate because he fit so well.

And it doesn't look like Enstrom will be back either. Unfortunate end to a good career in Winnipeg. His wife basically tweeted goodbye to Winnipeg.

buzzg
May 23, 2018, 7:34 PM
No chance Stastny will be back. He’s way overvalued now, so some other team can and will overpay for him.

Or do you trade Little in order to be able to afford him. I think Chevy would consider that.

Jammon
May 23, 2018, 7:40 PM
Or do you trade Little in order to be able to afford him. I think Chevy would consider that.

As of right now, the Jets have about 20 million in cap space. You would have to do some creative accounting given that Trouba, Morrissey and Helle are due for big pay raises.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Arts
May 23, 2018, 8:59 PM
And it doesn't look like Enstrom will be back either. Unfortunate end to a good career in Winnipeg. His wife basically tweeted goodbye to Winnipeg.

Just think, had Enstrom not waived his NMC he'd have been picked up by Vegas and would be going to the SCF. He's kicking himself two ways now (how was anybody to guess Vegas was going all the way). I wonder if Maurice even considered any of this before scratching him that third game?

dmacc
May 23, 2018, 9:03 PM
Just think, had Enstrom not waived his NMC he'd have been picked up by Vegas and would be going to the SCF. He's kicking himself two ways now (how was anybody to guess Vegas was going all the way). I wonder if Maurice even considered any of this before scratching him that third game?

That's not how waiving his NMC worked. Chevy bribed Vegas not to take Enstrom by giving them a first round pick which is why they took Thorburn. If Enstrom didn't agree to waive his NMC then the Jets would have been forced to protect him and Vegas wouldn't have been able to take him anyway.

bomberjet
May 24, 2018, 4:25 PM
In the expansion draft, players with NMC's were auto-protected by them team and counted towards your quota. Buff and someone else on Winnipeg were in the same positon and there's no way around it.

Arts
May 24, 2018, 7:42 PM
That's not how waiving his NMC worked. Chevy bribed Vegas not to take Enstrom by giving them a first round pick which is why they took Thorburn. If Enstrom didn't agree to waive his NMC then the Jets would have been forced to protect him and Vegas wouldn't have been able to take him anyway.

you are correct, I was braindead for a minute there (or else my mind just went on some weird tangent).

Jets4Life
May 25, 2018, 11:42 AM

Enstrom is gone. He skipped the press conference and headed back to Sweden. He was also critical of Maurice for benching him, in what is likely his final game as a Winnipeg Jet. His wife also posted on instrgam a goodbye message, thanking TNSE, the Jets players, and the city of Winnipeg for their support and ended it with saying "we will miss you." Toby is likely going to play the remainder of his career in Sweden.

There is no way Myers stays. Trouba is likely to be signed. and the Jets cannot afford 3 RHD making over $5 million per season. He will be traded, and Poolman will get a chance to be a regular in the lineup as a bottom pairing defenseman. Look for Sami Niku to replace Enstrom, on the left defensive side. The Jets will more than likely sign Morrisey to a long term contract in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 million.

Stastny is not staying, unless the Jets trade Little, but that is a long shot. Perreault will probably be on the market, to make room for younger players with ELC to come in (i.e. Roslovic, Vesalainen, or Appleton). The Jets need to resign Lowry, Tanev, and Armia. Next season, they need to sign Connor and Laine (and possibly Wheeler), so they may try to get it out of the way over the summer, especially Laine's contract. Dano will be released, and possibly Petan.

As for goaltending, Hellebuyck will be looking for a big raise ($5.5 million?) That leaves us with the dilemma of what to do with Mason, and his $4 million + contract. His trading value is at an all-time low, and he has one season left on his contract. Hutchinson will be dealt as he does not want to be here, and I have no confidence in Comrie as a backup. In an ideal situation, Mason would be dealt, and replaced by a cheaper reliable backup.

As for Maurice, he is a good coach, but not an elite coach. Gallant schooled him, and he made some questionable decisions like leaving Hendricks in the lineup too long, not taking Copp out for a few games, and not playing Roslovic more. He also sat out Kulikov despite him being ready to go at the beginning of the Vegas series, only to throw him to the wolves in the final game. He should have took Chiarot out.

wags_in_the_peg
May 25, 2018, 12:38 PM
i agree with most of the above except remove Armia from the lineup. he lead the team in "takeaways" but that no reason to keep him. remember in 2020 there's another expansion draft where we will lose a player to Seattle

dmacc
May 25, 2018, 1:19 PM
Enstrom is gone. He skipped the press conference and headed back to Sweden. He was also critical of Maurice for benching him, in what is likely his final game as a Winnipeg Jet. His wife also posted on instrgam a goodbye message, thanking TNSE, the Jets players, and the city of Winnipeg for their support and ended it with saying "we will miss you." Toby is likely going to play the remainder of his career in Sweden.

There is no way Myers stays. Trouba is likely to be signed. and the Jets cannot afford 3 RHD making over $5 million per season. He will be traded, and Poolman will get a chance to be a regular in the lineup as a bottom pairing defenseman. Look for Sami Niku to replace Enstrom, on the left defensive side. The Jets will more than likely sign Morrisey to a long term contract in the neighborhood of $5-5.5 million.

Stastny is not staying, unless the Jets trade Little, but that is a long shot. Perreault will probably be on the market, to make room for younger players with ELC to come in (i.e. Roslovic, Vesalainen, or Appleton). The Jets need to resign Lowry, Tanev, and Armia. Next season, they need to sign Connor and Laine (and possibly Wheeler), so they may try to get it out of the way over the summer, especially Laine's contract. Dano will be released, and possibly Petan.

As for goaltending, Hellebuyck will be looking for a big raise ($5.5 million?) That leaves us with the dilemma of what to do with Mason, and his $4 million + contract. His trading value is at an all-time low, and he has one season left on his contract. Hutchinson will be dealt as he does not want to be here, and I have no confidence in Comrie as a backup. In an ideal situation, Mason would be dealt, and replaced by a cheaper reliable backup.

As for Maurice, he is a good coach, but not an elite coach. Gallant schooled him, and he made some questionable decisions like leaving Hendricks in the lineup too long, not taking Copp out for a few games, and not playing Roslovic more. He also sat out Kulikov despite him being ready to go at the beginning of the Vegas series, only to throw him to the wolves in the final game. He should have took Chiarot out.

I don't think Myers is going anywhere, he may have a $5.5 million cap hit but his salary is only $3 million. Not to mention he has a NMC. If we can sign next years players under the cap then there is no need to move him. When the Laine, Connor, Wheeler contracts come up we will have Myers and Mason heading out making $10 million in Cap space available.

The team loves perrault and I don't think he will be shopped. The team has always made it very hard for young players to get into the line up... probably too hard lately. Look at Connor and Roslovic. Niku, Vaselainen, Appleton will be put into the worst position to succeed just like Connor was at the beginning of the year.

Tanev will be back maybe not Armia but neither are integral parts of this team. There are plenty of players that could replace these two such as Lemieux.

I feel like Mason will be staying to be a solid backup for us and possible trade bait, if he plays well, at the deadline.

You are 100% right about Maurice. He is such an intelligent speaker but his decisions are suspect but he's the coach we have for the foreseeable future.

TimeFadesAway
May 25, 2018, 1:59 PM
Stastny is not staying

I've heard from several different (unconnected) people that Stastny is building a house at Beaverbrook and Grosvenor.

esquire
May 25, 2018, 2:04 PM
^ Good urbanist-minded infill location... clearly he reads this forum ;)

Ando
May 25, 2018, 5:37 PM
They will do their best to keep Statsny and he wants to stay. He's one of the reasons they got through the first two rounds.

bomberjet
May 25, 2018, 5:39 PM
Although Maurice got them playing well, he continued to make questionable decisions as you folks mentioned. Go with the best guys. Not Hendricks because he's a nice guy, etc. etc. etc.

Jets4Life
May 25, 2018, 10:02 PM
I've heard from several different (unconnected) people that Stastny is building a house at Beaverbrook and Grosvenor.

I hope you are correct. I would rather have Stastny on 2C than Little, simply because the chemistry is not there, with the Ehlers - Little - Laine lineup. Stastny gels better with our two Scandinavian guns.

Wpg_Guy
Jun 26, 2018, 2:51 AM
http://www.bellmtsplace.ca/box-office-information/

I guess no big renovation announcement this year, the season went too long for anything substantial.

The Bell MTS Place atrium will be closed from June 26-July 27 for renovations to the atrium and the Main Box Office. Please visit the South Box Office located on the Skywalk Level Cityplace Bridge (over Graham Avenue) during this time. The South Box Office will be open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturdays (closed Sundays, and July 2, in recognition of Canada Day) while the Main Box Office is closed. The regular hours for both the Main and South Box Office locations will resume July 28, as per below.

khabibulin
Jun 30, 2018, 6:42 PM
The Jets have traded Armia and Mason (and 2 draft picks) to the Habs for minor leaguer Simon Bourque. So signing Stastny should be a done deal now.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-jets-armia-mason-trade/

The Jabroni
Jul 1, 2018, 11:38 PM
The Jets have traded Armia and Mason (and 2 draft picks) to the Habs for minor leaguer Simon Bourque. So signing Stastny should be a done deal now.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-jets-armia-mason-trade/

Sadly, that got derailed, as Stastny is now with the Vegas Golden Knights.

Talk about a major stab in the back, face, and then a final blow by curbstomp. I'm kind of salty about this right now.

At the same time, we were doing great before we picked him up. We will be fine without him, and we do have more room to resign our RFAs. It would have been tighter had Stastny signed with us, but at the same time, Hellebuyck, Laine, and Trouba would have a higher chance of signing with us, especially Trouba, after all that hubbub a couple years ago.

Still not out of the woods yet though. This Free Agent Frenzy is just starting.

trueviking
Jul 2, 2018, 5:27 AM
Stastny is a 40ish Point Guy. Basically the same stats as Perrault. Losing him isn’t a big deal. Losing Armia for nothing sucks. Hope Chevy gets a reliable backup to replace Mason.

DowntownBooster
Jul 2, 2018, 3:27 PM
Sadly, that got derailed, as Stastny is now with the Vegas Golden Knights.

Talk about a major stab in the back, face, and then a final blow by curbstomp. I'm kind of salty about this right now.

You forgot to include a kick to the groin. ;)

factis
Jul 2, 2018, 3:27 PM
I feel like we have a bigger rivalry now with Vegas than we do with any of the central div teams. On the topic of armia, did we lose him for nothing? I’m pretty sure we needed that cap space regardless of whether or not we signed Stastny.

buzzg
Jul 2, 2018, 3:47 PM
Stastny is a 40ish Point Guy. Basically the same stats as Perrault. Losing him isn’t a big deal. Losing Armia for nothing sucks. Hope Chevy gets a reliable backup to replace Mason.

I feel like we have a bigger rivalry now with Vegas than we do with any of the central div teams. On the topic of armia, did we lose him for nothing? I’m pretty sure we needed that cap space regardless of whether or not we signed Stastny.

Agree with you both. Would it be nice to have Stastny? Of course, he fit in well. But, as Chevy said, they just couldn't make the number OR term work for him because of all the other signings we have to do this year and next. And sucks to lose Armia, but yes, we needed that cap space either way. Probably still would have had to get rid of another middle-salary player. We're pretty set at centre IMO, Roslovic will slot in well – that playoff run will pay dividends for him next season.

The Armia thing doesn't bother me, and getting rid of Mason and his cap are good, it was the extra two picks that seemed a little steep to me, especially since Montreal just bought Mason out.

blueandgoldguy
Jul 2, 2018, 7:30 PM

Nope.:(

khabibulin
Jul 2, 2018, 8:01 PM
Nope.:(

Laurent Brossoit is a 2016 AHL all-star. And he signed for the league minimum.

The 25-year-old has 28 games of NHL experience, with his best numbers coming in Edmonton in 2016-17. That season, he played eight games, posting a 0.928 save percentage and a 1.99 goals against average.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/brossoit-excited-for-a-fresh-start-in-winnipeg/c-299380894

khabibulin
Jul 2, 2018, 8:06 PM

I believe that Jets games against the Predators are going to be hard core, feisty and tough. Preds will play against the Jets more often during the season than the Knights, and coming off their 7 game epic series......look out!

Jets4Life
Jul 3, 2018, 1:39 AM
Laurent Brossoit is a 2016 AHL all-star. And he signed for the league minimum.

The 25-year-old has 28 games of NHL experience, with his best numbers coming in Edmonton in 2016-17. That season, he played eight games, posting a 0.928 save percentage and a 1.99 goals against average.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/brossoit-excited-for-a-fresh-start-in-winnipeg/c-299380894

Being an AHL all-star does not necessarily equate to being a reliable NHL backup goalie. Brossoit is mainly a career minor leaguer, who has been called up on occasion. His stats are not impressive. 0.897 saving %, and last year, finished with a 0.883% with a 3.24 saving percentage. Hutchinson had far better stats, and was a two time AHL all-star, including the 2017-18 season. Yet the Jets released him too.

Glad we made cap room by getting rid of Mason, but knowing that Comrie and Brossoit are going to be the main backup goalies frightens me. If Helle gets hurt or has a slump, we are in trouble next season.,

Jets4Life
Jul 3, 2018, 2:11 AM

I agree. It seems Vegas came into this league just to screw with the Jets. I hate that organization with a passion, unlike the classy Predators.

Armia was expendable. We are stacked in terms of offensive depth, and Armia was never going to be a top 6 forward. He will easily be be replaced.

As for Stastny, he is 32, and his best years are behind him. He did have a impressive run with the Jets, but I don't believe that will be sustainable, as I ahve been hearing from fans in St.Louis and Colorado, Stastny was never really known to produce in the playoffs, until this season. He is a 40-45 point player, not that different from Little, and two years older. It would have been great to keep him, but at $6.5-7.0 million/season, we have to be careful, as we have yet to sign Laine, Wheeler, Connor, Trouba, and Hellebuyck.

At any rate, signing Stastny would have meant we have 5 Centres:

1. Scheifele
2. Stastny
3. Little
4. Lowry
5. Copp

I am convinced this is going to be Roslovic's breakout year. He looked great in the playoffs, and the end of the season. He played #1 Centre for the Moose, and it should be an easy transition. He could very well be the #2 C by the end of the season. Stastny not signing could be a blessing in disguise if Roz exceeds expectations.

The Jabroni
Jul 3, 2018, 2:36 AM
You forgot to include a kick to the groin. ;)

Well... I didn't want to go that far... :shrug:

I am convinced this is going to be Roslovic's breakout year. He looked great in the playoffs, and the end of the season. He played #1 Centre for the Moose, and it should be an easy transition. He could very well be the #2 C by the end of the season. Stastny not signing could be a blessing in disguise if Roz exceeds expectations.

Roslovic will definitely make the team this year after training camp. I would be very surprised if he doesn't. Connor pretty much made the team at this point as well, even though he started this past season with the Moose.

buzzg
Jul 3, 2018, 3:15 AM
As crazy is it sounds, I could easily see Roslovic end up centring the 2nd line (has the speed) and little on the "4th" line. We all know though that the 4th line on the Jets is not a bad thing. Our third and fourth are essentially even, but that third line with Lowry is physical, so they slot well in the "third" role.

Jets4Life
Jul 3, 2018, 3:23 AM
As crazy is it sounds, I could easily see Roslovic end up centring the 2nd line (has the speed) and little on the "4th" line. We all know though that the 4th line on the Jets is not a bad thing. Our third and fourth are essentially even, but that third line with Lowry is physical, so they slot well in the "third" role.

I can't see Little being relegated to the 4th line. Little is a better player than Lowry, and the Jets would try and trade from Little, as he is making too much money to be on the 4th line. If I was a betting man, I would bet Maurice starts Little on the 2nd line, does some line juggling, then as the season progresses, gives Roslo his shot at a top 6 position.

buzzg
Jul 3, 2018, 3:33 AM
^What I meant by "ending up" was that I don't think it'll start there, but will progress there. That's the thing about our 3rd/4th lines though – they're not traditional and very good. You could put Roslo on 2nd and Little on current 4th, and call it the third or whatever. We have third scoring/energy line, and a big bruising checking line (Lowry's) that can still score. The rest is just semantics – what the Jets have is rare.

Ando
Jul 3, 2018, 2:35 PM
Not to rain on the Stanley Cup parade, but Roslovic is second year guy and hasn't played near a full season. I like him, but the jury is out. Little has been on the decline. Lowry and Copp are 3rd, 4th liners. There is a reason they wanted Statsny. I don't think it's all doom and gloom but they need a good second line centre.

bomberjet
Jul 3, 2018, 2:44 PM
Who are the expected FA's coming into the trade deadline this year. Likely a huge list right now, but I'm sure there would be someone available. I suspect the Jets will try to add some depth at the time again. But would be best if they could hang on to their draft picks.

What's concerning is the goalie situation and somewhat defense. More so goalies. If Hellebuyck goes down, there goes the season.