PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

prairiedog007
Apr 12, 2023, 9:01 PM
I'm happy the team is back in the playoffs despite my feelings about some of the core players on the team.

As for decline in season ticket holders, I'm surprised business accounts are only 15% of all season ticket holder accounts. I realize the corporate community is small here, but 15%!? I thought businesses accounted for 40% or so of the season ticket base...at least that's what I thought I heard back in the early days of the Jets. Can anyone confirm?

If each of the corporate accounts has 4 seats and lets say there are 1500 corporate accounts, so that's 6000 seats which is 40% of the building

Crisis
Apr 12, 2023, 9:10 PM
The Avalanche can't win the West. They have been mathematically eliminated from the #1 Conference spot.

As it is, the only way Winnipeg will play Edmonton, is if Vegas loses their final game in regulation time, and Edmonton wins their last game.

Crap, you're right. I had a nice, long explanation prepared about how all 3 teams could end up tied and that the Avs have the better head to head record against the other two teams. Then I figured I should actually check the tie-breaking criteria. Turns out that H-H is only 4th on the tie-breaker list:
- Regulation Wins
- Regulation & OT wins
- Total wins incl. shootouts
- Head to head

The Avs only have 34 Regulation wins, 3 less than Vegas and 10 less than the Oilers. Should be good competition in the West, with no dominant team, though the Oilers are red hot right now.

optimusREIM
Apr 12, 2023, 9:28 PM
Can you even imagine meeting the Oilers in the first round and having Pionk move back into his rent free home in McDavids head just like 2021? It would be glorious.

Delicious. I suppose it could happen, never say never. Although I don't know if I could stand another let down like the Montreal series...

blueandgoldguy
Apr 12, 2023, 10:48 PM
If each of the corporate accounts has 4 seats and lets say there are 1500 corporate accounts, so that's 6000 seats which is 40% of the building

What you say is true but I think Chipman was saying 15% of all the season tickets were accounted for by businesses.

Danny D Oh
Apr 12, 2023, 11:52 PM
I'm actually surprised they are down only 3500. Our group dissolved a couple of years ago and it was just my wife and me and we would unload games we didn't go to on her parents. After management decided to mail in the back half of last season by not hiring a real coach and them the mailing in of some of the players in the back half of this season, we've decided to let it go and just buy the games we want to see. Listening and talking to those in the seats around us, it seems like a fair number are doing the same.

Just wanted to add two things to this that speak to the complete sales/marketing failure of TNSE with Jets tickets:

1- In our area of the rink they have been discounting tickets by 60% and giving a voucher for a free beer per seat. They give these perks to people buying walk-up tickets but I've held half a seat in a group (4 people for 2 seats) for 12 seasons and have got nothing like that even once. They had even better deals for people willing to buy 4 game packs midseason with free merch and vouchers for concessions. What in the actual fuck? They pissed off the people who guarantee their revenue and devalued their product at season seat prices. Who is running this organization?

2- TNSE insisted on doing away with season ticket contracts and now have everyone on year-to-year. They totally shot themselves in the foot with this one. At least with the 3 or 5 year deal you were locked in and would be more willing to ride out down years for an agreement to not raise prices below a certain level (although they usually maxed this out).

We waited 9 seasons for relocation even as seats were vacated. Dealing with our ticket rep was pure insanity. Any query we had was met with contempt.

They didn't have to market their tickets until the pandemic and that muscle in the organization is completely atrophied. They took their fans for granted.

The only benefit to pay season seat prices is the guaranteed playoff ticket. Otherwise any discounts we get now on concessions and merch are far exceeded by paying 60% more for our seats than we can get them on resale or directly from Ticketmaster now.

thurmas
Apr 12, 2023, 11:54 PM
Wade Miller and the Bombers do a much better job than TN when it comes to treating season ticket holders properly and have better fan engagement.

BlackDog204
Apr 13, 2023, 12:00 AM
Crap, you're right. I had a nice, long explanation prepared about how all 3 teams could end up tied and that the Avs have the better head to head record against the other two teams. Then I figured I should actually check the tie-breaking criteria. Turns out that H-H is only 4th on the tie-breaker list:
- Regulation Wins
- Regulation & OT wins
- Total wins incl. shootouts
- Head to head

The Avs only have 34 Regulation wins, 3 less than Vegas and 10 less than the Oilers. Should be good competition in the West, with no dominant team, though the Oilers are red hot right now.

It's a weird system.

I could be wrong, but before I believe it was what team had the most non-shootout wins, but they now go by regulation wins.

I personally prefer "rock, paper, scissors." ;)

BlackDog204
Apr 13, 2023, 12:19 AM
Just wanted to add two things to this that speak to the complete sales/marketing failure of TNSE with Jets tickets:

1- In our area of the rink they have been discounting tickets by 60% and giving a voucher for a free beer per seat. They give these perks to people buying walk-up tickets but I've held half a seat in a group (4 people for 2 seats) for 12 seasons and have got nothing like that even once. They had even better deals for people willing to buy 4 game packs midseason with free merch and vouchers for concessions. What in the actual fuck? They pissed off the people who guarantee their revenue and devalued their product at season seat prices. Who is running this organization?

2- TNSE insisted on doing away with season ticket contracts and now have everyone on year-to-year. They totally shot themselves in the foot with this one. At least with the 3 or 5 year deal you were locked in and would be more willing to ride out down years for an agreement to not raise prices below a certain level (although they usually maxed this out).

We waited 9 seasons for relocation even as seats were vacated. Dealing with our ticket rep was pure insanity. Any query we had was met with contempt.

They didn't have to market their tickets until the pandemic and that muscle in the organization is completely atrophied. They took their fans for granted.

The only benefit to pay season seat prices is the guaranteed playoff ticket. Otherwise any discounts we get now on concessions and merch are far exceeded by paying 60% more for our seats than we can get them on resale or directly from Ticketmaster now.

I'm actually not at all surprised by this. I have a amusing story that goes back nearly 20 years.

My gf and I at the time were thinking of getting a 10 game pack to see the AHL Moose in 2004, around the time the MTS Centre was about to open. We got a tour of the arena, and it's enmities. Then the ticket sales rep, who was leading the group of potential had a Q & A session. After most of the basic questions were addressed regarding the Moose, questions arose about the arena being "NHL compatible' which the rep replied that the capacity met the NHL standards.

Considering Brandon would play at least one game a year in Winnipeg for 3-4 consecutive years in the mid 2000s, I had inquired about if there was any interest in the Moose sharing the arena with a possible WHL tenant. The TNSE sales rep became visibly annoyed, with a forced smile, replied "this is the 3rd time I have been asked this question this week!" and proceeded to tell the group about a man on a different tour of his becoming irate when he learned that TNSE had no interest in allowing a Winnipeg-based WHL team to share the arena.

Considering we were seriously considering plunking down $400 for two seats of 10 Moose games, being that unprofessional, we decided to pass. Perhaps it was not his day, or there were personal issues in play, but I could not help think that if this guy was a real estate agent or working at a car dealership, he probably would not last very long. It was off-putting, to say the least.

Keep in mind, this predates the negative experiences I have become accustomed to hearing about ticket sales agents from TNSE, within two years of the Jets return. Perhaps TNSE should revamp their sales and marketing department, before we begin to see a half full arena.

bomberjet
Apr 13, 2023, 2:31 PM
The season ticket drive is timing is not a surprise. First payments were due already for next year, and they obviously saw the numbers plummet. Timing the media release with the playoff clinch seems like they're trying to suck everything they can out of it before the first round exit (I still have zero faith).

For me, my seats are either equal to or actually cheaper than they were 2 years ago. Last row at the top in the corner. I cant remember the exact pricing, but they have not gone up. My playoff ticket for first round is $90 per game. walk up will be 2-3 times that.

Besides that perk, It's $10 bucks a beer, $15 for chicken nuggets lol but that's what you pay to go. I have not been to a game at another rink is a long time. My uncle was in Vegas 2 weeks ago. It's $20USD for everything. Beer? $20. Hotdog? $20. These are the prices of pro sports. But Winnipeg is cheap. Everyone wants the Cadillac for free.

drew
Apr 13, 2023, 2:58 PM
^ to me it's not the being cheap factor - it's the complete lack of benefits to being a season ticket holder, and no effort on TNSE's part for little extras and other things that help with retention. I think Danny summarized it pretty much bang on:

esquire
Apr 13, 2023, 3:14 PM
Besides that perk, It's $10 bucks a beer, $15 for chicken nuggets lol but that's what you pay to go. I have not been to a game at another rink is a long time. My uncle was in Vegas 2 weeks ago. It's $20USD for everything. Beer? $20. Hotdog? $20. These are the prices of pro sports. But Winnipeg is cheap. Everyone wants the Cadillac for free.

I agree on the price thing, I took in some sports while in California recently... it was my first time going to sports events in the US in years. I definitely got sticker shock. Prices are exorbitant. As you say, almost $20 a pop for things like beer and popcorn. Soft drinks $10. Parking $30. All in US dollars. It's shocking. I can live without eating at the game but it's hard to say no to my kids who are accustomed to having some snacks at the game - based on Winnipeg prices, haha.

I definitely won't be complaining about prices around here anymore.

Mind you, there is just a ton of money down there on a scale that doesn't exist here. In LA I took a tour of the LA Memorial Coliseum. They took us into one of the palatial founders suites... the cost of the founders suite is a $20 million donation to USC, which gets you the suite for 10 years. To watch college football. And there are several of these suites. It is very hard to imagine anyone at all coughing up that kind of dough in Winnipeg.

You can't do multi-year contracts when you have a pile of unsold seats. It only worked when demand vastly exceeded supply, i.e. the first five years. Maybe it still works with premium seats where corporate accounts are comfortable signing on for 4 or 5 years, but I think a lot of people will be hesitant to sign on for multi-year contracts, especially in light of all the tumult of the past few years.

BlackDog204
Apr 13, 2023, 4:16 PM

https://globalnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/NHL-game.jpg

source:

https://time2play.com/ca-en/blog/most-expensive-arenas-watch-nhl-game/

Well, I was sceptical of your post, considering that in 2011, the Jets were only behind Toronto and Montreal when it came to costs of attending an NHL games, but you are absolutely correct. It's even more expensive to attend an NHL game in places like Nashville and Tampa Bay, two non-traditional hockey markets, that sellout all of their games.

I guess having families or young blue collar men have been priced out of the market. Hopefully the Winnipeg business community comes through and gobbles up a significant percentage of tickets. I know that the average Winnipegger is being priced out of the market.

VANRIDERFAN
Apr 13, 2023, 5:44 PM
I definitely won't be complaining about prices around here anymore.

Mind you, there is just a ton of money down there on a scale that doesn't exist here. In LA I took a tour of the LA Memorial Coliseum. They took us into one of the palatial founders suites... the cost of the founders suite is a $20 million donation to USC, which gets you the suite for 10 years. To watch college football. And there are several of these suites. It is very hard to imagine anyone at all coughing up that kind of dough in Winnipeg.

What sort of shape is the stadium in? Its pushing 80 years old isn't it?

BlackDog204
Apr 13, 2023, 6:14 PM

It's exactly 100 years old.

esquire
Apr 13, 2023, 6:39 PM

It's spectacular, in a historic kind of way. It will be an Olympic venue for the third time in 2028... it is amazing that in a world where 25 year old stadiums get demolished, the LAMC just keeps on going.

bomberjet
Apr 13, 2023, 8:41 PM
^ to me it's not the being cheap factor - it's the complete lack of benefits to being a season ticket holder, and no effort on TNSE's part for little extras and other things that help with retention. I think Danny summarized it pretty much bang on:

Ya I'd agree with that. They do nothing for us and do the promo programs like you said.

Back in the earlier days, STH would at least get the ticket package thing delivered to your home at start of season. With a pin, lanyard, some junk to at least make it feel like you were appreciated.

bomberjet
Apr 13, 2023, 8:44 PM
https://globalnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/NHL-game.jpg

source:

https://time2play.com/ca-en/blog/most-expensive-arenas-watch-nhl-game/

Well, I was sceptical of your post, considering that in 2011, the Jets were only behind Toronto and Montreal when it came to costs of attending an NHL games, but you are absolutely correct. It's even more expensive to attend an NHL game in places like Nashville and Tampa Bay, two non-traditional hockey markets, that sellout all of their games.

I guess having families or young blue collar men have been priced out of the market. Hopefully the Winnipeg business community comes through and gobbles up a significant percentage of tickets. I know that the average Winnipegger is being priced out of the market.

No surprise at the top it's original 6 line-up, Vegas and Seattle (both of whom just paid over $1 billion for the NHL team package). Original 6 have the fan base to support the high prices.

thurmas
Apr 13, 2023, 8:47 PM
Over $5600 a year just to watch before you even pay for grub drinks or merchandise. No thanks I will stick with cfl for the average joe.

BlackDog204
Apr 13, 2023, 9:23 PM
Over $5600 a year just to watch before you even pay for grub drinks or merchandise. No thanks I will stick with cfl for the average joe.

Actually, that chart includes some concessions. That may shave off $30-40/game, depending on how much parking costs in a 2 block radius.

"Our total costs consist of the Average Weighted Ticket + 2 Beers + Cheapest Hot Dog + Parking; per NHL team."

esquire
Apr 13, 2023, 9:33 PM

I don't even think you have to bring cost into it. Bomber games, at least in recent years, have been straight up more entertaining. I think that the loud leather-lunged fans who were at Jets games for the first five years are all at IG Field now... atmosphere is definitely better there.

pspeid
Apr 13, 2023, 9:49 PM
I think the season-ticket push by the Jets is, for the moment, an effort to avoid a financial disaster, rather than deal with a current one. I'm sure the team was hurting after the pandemic shut-downs, but if you do a search on NHL teams that are currently in financial trouble, the Jets don't seem to make the list (at least not any list i could find). Outside of Phoenix, most references seem to be for income lost from the collapse of a regional cable network in the States, leaving many teams in a financial bind.

Asking more local companies to step up and support the team with season tickets isn't a bad idea, IMO. I think it's natural for companies to assume that "someone else" is stepping up to carry the load, even if that "someone else" is the average schmo season-ticket buyer. Maybe they needed a little shaking up to consider supporting the team?

As for appreciating season ticket holders, what would people suggest? Do little things like free pins and hats mean enough to keep someone buying season tickets, or do you want discounts on food/drink? I'm just asking because I've never been a season ticket holder for the Jets (just the Bombers) so I'm not sure if more swag would change people's minds?

esquire
Apr 13, 2023, 10:11 PM
^ The only thing I ever got as a Jets (half) STH that felt in any way special was the season ticket holder skate. That was a nice event. The rest was pretty forgettable, e.g. the annual tchotchke they'd send you... I'm struggling to remember anything. I think I got a couple of perks with Jets Rewards when that was a thing. Food and drink discounts are offered now and that is a nice touch... might as well give your best customers a little reprieve from the exorbitant concession prices.

It seems typical for US teams to give STHs a free jacket, or jersey or whatever. That is pretty classy.

Danny D Oh
Apr 14, 2023, 12:15 AM
You can't do multi-year contracts when you have a pile of unsold seats. It only worked when demand vastly exceeded supply, i.e. the first five years. Maybe it still works with premium seats where corporate accounts are comfortable signing on for 4 or 5 years, but I think a lot of people will be hesitant to sign on for multi-year contracts, especially in light of all the tumult of the past few years.

There's no reason why they couldn't. They'd be better off locking people in to buy 80% of the year-by-year cost for 5 years than hope every year they don't lose another 2000 seats. But yeah they'd have to give people a reason to commit in the form of a better deal and/or better perks.

Right now there's hardly a reason to commit to a full season based on the offering aside from avoiding having to fight to pay almost double (and escalating each round) for playoff seats.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 11:31 AM
The Jets played surprisingly well, considering they rested all their star players, but fell to the Avalanche 4-2. Vegas won, so the Jets will play the Golden Knights in Round 1.

Hellebuyck will have to be lights out, if we are to win the series.

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 14, 2023, 12:12 PM
thank goodness we are not playing Oilers, they have been so hot past few months. Jets play like they can, Vegas is beatable

Biff
Apr 14, 2023, 1:20 PM
Jets win in 6.

I don't have a lot of faith that they will go far but for some reason I have this feeling they will beat the Knights.

Winnipeg Grump
Apr 14, 2023, 1:35 PM
I don't even think you have to bring cost into it. Bomber games, at least in recent years, have been straight up more entertaining. I think that the loud leather-lunged fans who were at Jets games for the first five years are all at IG Field now... atmosphere is definitely better there.

Yup. We have 4 x P2's (lower-bowl, around the 25-30 yard line) at $934 each. Includes pre-season AND post-season. Atmosphere is night and day compared to the arena. My biggest peeve is the fact that we aren't getting a full house for every game. I'm not sure what more people expect from Miller et al that would get a couple extra thousand bodies into the seats. It's frankly embarrassing that a club with that record isn't selling out every game.

optimusREIM
Apr 14, 2023, 2:39 PM
Yup. We have 4 x P2's (lower-bowl, around the 25-30 yard line) at $934 each. Includes pre-season AND post-season. Atmosphere is night and day compared to the arena. My biggest peeve is the fact that we aren't getting a full house for every game. I'm not sure what more people expect from Miller et al that would get a couple extra thousand bodies into the seats. It's frankly embarrassing that a club with that record isn't selling out every game.

Across the board, people are turning more inward for their entertainment and many view the idea that you have to get off your couch as an affront. People go out a lot less than they used to... sad state of affairs. I mean, look at the argos, they are located in Toronto with unlimited people and can't fill seats. Of course I'd rather see IG Field full, but at least it's hoppin on game nights.

As for the Jets, same thing, what's wild to me is that we were able to fill a similar sized rink in the 70s and 80s no problem with a much smaller population. There's more to it than the success of the team on the ice.

optimusREIM
Apr 14, 2023, 2:40 PM
Jets win in 6.

I don't have a lot of faith that they will go far but for some reason I have this feeling they will beat the Knights.

I have the same feeling weirdly enough! :cheers:

esquire
Apr 14, 2023, 2:56 PM
As for the Jets, same thing, what's wild to me is that we were able to fill a similar sized rink in the 70s and 80s no problem with a much smaller population. There's more to it than the success of the team on the ice.

It's not surprising at all. Two main factors: 1) prices were lower... it was never cheap to go to a Jets game, but back in the 80s and 90s you could get cheap seats for roughly the cost of a movie ticket. Even the "good" seats were not exorbitantly expensive like they are now. 2) Hardly any games were televised, so you had to go to the game if you wanted to see the team play.

The teams want the fat TV contracts but they still expect fans to buy tickets at ever increasing premium prices. These days with big-screen 4K TVs and every game on television, you could easily follow the team without ever setting foot inside the arena. I guess some people have come to the conclusion that they can get all the Jets entertainment they want without the $8,000 or whatever annual pricetag for a pair of season tickets.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 3:00 PM

Unfortunately it is like that in every city that the CFL is in. Attendance has been on a downward spiral for the past 15 years. BC and Toronto barely draw flies, and even traditionally strong markets like Edmonton are struggling.

esquire
Apr 14, 2023, 3:01 PM
Unfortunately it is like that in every city that the CFL is in. Attendance has been on a downward spiral for the past 15 years. BC and Toronto barely draw flies, and even traditionally strong markets like Edmonton are struggling.

Maybe in some other places, but attendance is at near all time highs here.

bomberjet
Apr 14, 2023, 7:23 PM
Why don't I go to more Bomber games? Because the stadium is in a bad location. I get out to a couple games a year.

Same reason I haven't made it to an ICE game yet.

drew
Apr 14, 2023, 7:28 PM
^ same for me.

The stadium is in a really annoying location for me. And after the last game we were at it took a solid 45 minutes to get from the stadium to Pembina Highway...

My biggest gripe with the location is the limitations on traffic in and out.

CoryB
Apr 14, 2023, 7:31 PM
The Jets honestly do a better job at making ALL their fans feel seen. The number of times in over 10 years as a Bomber STH where the in house promotion of a free slice of pizza or whatever are in the 200 level seats is near zero compared to the more expensive 100 seats. I think it is even to the point some of the most expensive club seats have more giveways in a single game than my section in the 200s has had in 10+ years and not just any one game for the 100s but almost every game.

At least with the Jets that are actively doing promotional giveaways in the 200 section every game.

WildCake
Apr 14, 2023, 7:32 PM
Maybe in some other places, but attendance is at near all time highs here.

I mean that's to be expected here after 2 grey cups and a 2nd place finish in the last 3 seasons.

It doesn't speak well for the longevity of the league if the overall trend is decreased attendance since they don't have the hefty TV contracts the bigger leagues in North America can float off.

Likewise, if the two most populous markets in Canada aren't supporting their teams and Edmonton being a more traditional football market is dropping their attendance drastically from poor performance isn't promising.This isn't the NHL where you have 2-3 teams out of 32 (Coyotes and Panthers) that can be propped up by the rest.

esquire
Apr 14, 2023, 8:06 PM
I mean that's to be expected here after 2 grey cups and a 2nd place finish in the last 3 seasons.

It doesn't speak well for the longevity of the league if the overall trend is decreased attendance since they don't have the hefty TV contracts the bigger leagues in North America can float off.

Meh. I've been hearing doubts about the longevity of the league for over 30 years and it's still here. If it survived COVID and the lost season then I'm not worried about the CFL.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 8:37 PM
Why don't I go to more Bomber games? Because the stadium is in a bad location. I get out to a couple games a year.

Same reason I haven't made it to an ICE game yet.

I've never understood this.

The Blue Bombers play 9 times a year, once per week on average. It is easily accessible to get to from transit, and easy for most people with vehicles. The other location that was discussed was at the Red River Ex grounds near Headingley.

With all due respect, it just sounds like a lazy reason not to attend games. The old stadium location was not great for people near the current location, or places like Windsor Park or Transcona, but that never kept people from attending games.

I can see an argument being made in regards to the Ice, since they play a 70 game schedule, but not for the Bombers.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 8:39 PM
^ same for me.

The stadium is in a really annoying location for me. And after the last game we were at it took a solid 45 minutes to get from the stadium to Pembina Highway...

My biggest gripe with the location is the limitations on traffic in and out.

How is that any different than the old stadium, which was a headache navigating through the Polo Park area.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 8:45 PM
Meh. I've been hearing doubts about the longevity of the league for over 30 years and it's still here. If it survived COVID and the lost season then I'm not worried about the CFL.

https://3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Att-West.jpg

https://3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ATT-East.jpg

"This is what average CFL ticket sales look like league-wide over the past fifty years. Things have recently tailed off, though not to the extent they did in the 1990s. Below are the average attendance figures per decade since the 1970s."

1970s 26,689

1980s 27,390

1990s 24,183

2000s 27,050

2010s 25,571

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/25/how-cfl-attendance-has-changed-over-the-past-fifty-years-with-a-close-look-at-b-c-and-toronto/

---

Since this article was written, BC and especially Toronto have seen their attendance decline substantially in the last two seasons. Otherwise the league is still in relatively good shape, especially when one considers new stadiums have been built in Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Hamilton.

Big stadiums like BC Place, Skydome, and Olympic Stadium in Montreal have hurt their respective attendances in the long term. The only time the long term viability of the league was in question, was in the immediate aftermath of the failed US experiment, when attendance in Canada was at record lows. The Bombers turned a profit of $5.5 million in 2022.

drew
Apr 14, 2023, 9:13 PM
How is that any different than the old stadium, which was a headache navigating through the Polo Park area.

There are almost infinitesimal more ways in and out of the Polo Park area (grid system) as compared to the 3 in and out of the current stadium. It's not a close comparison, even comically.

esquire
Apr 14, 2023, 9:44 PM
I normally cycle to Bomber games but on the odd occasion that I've had to drive, I haven't found it to be that bad. Yes you have to wait a little bit to get out of the parking lot, but that's going to happen when you have 30,000+ people in one place. It took the stadium parking lots a while to empty out at the old place too.

The only time I ever found it intolerably bad was when I went south of the stadium down Kings Drive after the Banjo Bowl... it took forever to get to Pembina. I wouldn't do that again. Going down Chancellor Matheson or to University Cres you get out much faster.

bomberjet
Apr 14, 2023, 9:48 PM
For me, driving or busing from North Kildonan to South Pembina is not ideal and can be the deciding factor on whether I want to go.

Where as going to Jets game. It's one bus for 20 mins to downtown.

Polo Park was much more central than the U of M. No sense in complaining now since it will be this way for the rest of my life.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 9:48 PM
There are almost infinitesimal more ways in and out of the Polo Park area (grid system) as compared to the 3 in and out of the current stadium. It's not a close comparison, even comically.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they have a "park and ride" system with the new BRT route?

I've attended football and hockey games in Edmonton and Calgary, and each time I go, I leave my vehicle by the nearest designated parking lot, and hop on the train to take me to the games.

Wouldn't that be a faster option for Bomber fans?

bomberjet
Apr 14, 2023, 9:50 PM
I've never understood this.

The Blue Bombers play 9 times a year, once per week on average. It is easily accessible to get to from transit, and easy for most people with vehicles. The other location that was discussed was at the Red River Ex grounds near Headingley.

With all due respect, it just sounds like a lazy reason not to attend games. The old stadium location was not great for people near the current location, or places like Windsor Park or Transcona, but that never kept people from attending games.

I can see an argument being made in regards to the Ice, since they play a 70 game schedule, but not for the Bombers.

So that's where I'm at. My laziness prevents me from traversing across town to the game. I still do it a couple times a year. But can't be bothered to di it 10 times per year.

Point Douglas or the Packers lands were being considered as sites. Headingly would be even worse than U of M.

Ideally, the stadium would've been built at Polo Park. But the whole failed redevelopment scheme prevented that. Polo Park is much more central than U of M. Current location caters to their desired fan base, south Winnipeggers.

CoryB
Apr 14, 2023, 10:01 PM
Legitimately if moving traffic in and out of the stadium proximity was a priority it would have been built on the Red River Ex site. That site can move a high volume of traffic and you barely even notice it.

BlackDog204
Apr 14, 2023, 10:03 PM
For me, driving or busing from North Kildonan to South Pembina is not ideal and can be the deciding factor on whether I want to go.

Where as going to Jets game. It's one bus for 20 mins to downtown.

Polo Park was much more central than the U of M. No sense in complaining now since it will be this way for the rest of my life.

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.wrestlingforum.com/attachments/screenshot-2023-04-14-4-02-27-pm-png.167307/

It's only 24 extra minutes for a round trip.

PS....since I grew up near the U of M, here's a traffic tip:

After exiting northbound on Pembina from the Perimeter, turn right on Dalhousie Drive (or Killarney) and drive down Silverstone, until you are to either hit Kings drive, or a side street that brings you to University Crescent. Going through Fort Richmond will save you from traffic congestion on Chancellor Matheson Drive.

drew
Apr 14, 2023, 10:07 PM
Legitimately if moving traffic in and out of the stadium proximity was a priority it would have been built on the Red River Ex site. That site can move a high volume of traffic and you barely even notice it.

The Ex would have been just as bad as the UofM. Maybe even worse. One way out. Good lord. You'd be there all night.

BlackDog204
Apr 15, 2023, 3:50 AM
https://www.wrestlingforum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.wrestlingforum.com/attachments/screenshot-2023-04-14-9-40-48-pm-png.167327/

dennis
Apr 17, 2023, 2:56 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't they have a "park and ride" system with the new BRT route?

I've attended football and hockey games in Edmonton and Calgary, and each time I go, I leave my vehicle by the nearest designated parking lot, and hop on the train to take me to the games.

Wouldn't that be a faster option for Bomber fans?

It has been a while, but I have taken the park and ride from McPhillips Street Station to Bombers games before. Still a bit of a trip but convenient. Also did the Smitties special where you had the beer and the ride to the game. I don’t recall if there was food included…

CoryB
Apr 17, 2023, 8:18 PM
The Ex would have been just as bad as the UofM. Maybe even worse. One way out. Good lord. You'd be there all night.

1. The site plan actually has three ways out, granted two of them are onto Portage. Also Festival Dr and CCW both would need extensions on their planned routes but that would have happened.

2. That the Red River Ex site is literally at the Perimeter and HWY 1 west/Portage Ave east it sits right next to an intersection of two major roads both with very few flow restrictions on traffic. Further, if CCW extension as the planned Headingley bypass was completed you could literally get west past SFX without a traffic light.

The site has far superior traffic management as it is today compared to IG Field at U of M and with some small tweaks if it stadium had be built there the only thing people would be talking about is how far away it is from the east side of the city.

BlackDog204
Apr 17, 2023, 8:26 PM
1. The site plan actually has three ways out, granted two of them are onto Portage. Also Festival Dr and CCW both would need extensions on their planned routes but that would have happened.

2. That the Red River Ex site is literally at the Perimeter and HWY 1 west/Portage Ave east it sits right next to an intersection of two major roads both with very few flow restrictions on traffic. Further, if CCW extension as the planned Headingley bypass was completed you could literally get west past SFX without a traffic light.

The site has far superior traffic management as it is today compared to IG Field at U of M and with some small tweaks if it stadium had be built there the only thing people would be talking about is how far away it is from the east side of the city.

It's not really that bad at the U of M. There are 4 ways of exiting- 2 from the south, one from the West, and one from the north. Unsure if there are restrictions to park on side streets in Fort Richmond, but that may be your best bet.

The other benefit, is that the BRT route has been completed, so I would imagine they have designated park and ride locations along the route.

WildCake
Apr 17, 2023, 8:35 PM
It's not really that bad at the U of M. There are 4 ways of exiting- 2 from the south, one from the West, and one from the north. Unsure if there are restrictions to park on side streets in Fort Richmond, but that may be your best bet.

The other benefit, is that the BRT route has been completed, so I would imagine they have designated park and ride locations along the route.

Here's the zones that are restricted to street parking on game days unless you apply for a special permit as a resident of those zones.

https://theparkingstore.winnipeg.ca/theparkingstore/pdfs/maps/stadiumzonemap.pdf

Essentially a 10 min brisk walk radius.

I see a lot of people that go just outside that and walk in. Gives you an extra 30 or so minutes of walking.

And yes, there are a lot of park and rides throughout the city if bussing in works better for you.

I do think the U of M site is better than the Red River Ex. They have similar roadways going in/out (sorry Cory B, I don't buy that the current layout would move way more traffic than U of M does), but that the BRT line was built to the U of M and serves the stadium on game days very well.

I really doubt the stadium at the Ex site would have drastically shifted our city's current snail pace on building dedicated transit infrastructure to have a proper BRT line out there by this point.

esquire
Apr 17, 2023, 8:46 PM
^ That's a good point WildCake, IG Field has excellent access by both transit and bicycle/AT. Every game, hordes of people use those modes. The Bomber bike valet has hundreds, if not thousands of bikes for pretty well every game except maybe the playoffs, when there is usually snow on the ground.

Even though the Jets, Moose and Goldeyes play downtown, I'd wager that the Bombers blow them both out of the water in terms of the percentage of fans going to games by bus/bike/on foot.

bomberjet
Apr 17, 2023, 9:49 PM
^ That's a good point WildCake, IG Field has excellent access by both transit and bicycle/AT. Every game, hordes of people use those modes. The Bomber bike valet has hundreds, if not thousands of bikes for pretty well every game except maybe the playoffs, when there is usually snow on the ground.

Even though the Jets, Moose and Goldeyes play downtown, I'd wager that the Bombers blow them both out of the water in terms of the percentage of fans going to games by bus/bike/on foot.

And car. Loads of cars.

Whatever your maps tell you, it is way easier for me to go to Polo park than U of M. Nevermind someone from Garden City or the Maples. The stadium in the south end is less accessible overall to the City than Polo. If I really wanted to go to every game, I'd go. But it's my laziness preventing me I guess. :P

bomberjet
Apr 17, 2023, 9:50 PM
Anywho, back to the Jets. Got my tickets for playoffs. $90 a pop.

See you at game 3 and 6. Maybe game 4 if nobody buys it.

BlackDog204
Apr 17, 2023, 10:07 PM
Here's the zones that are restricted to street parking on game days unless you apply for a special permit as a resident of those zones.

https://theparkingstore.winnipeg.ca/theparkingstore/pdfs/maps/stadiumzonemap.pdf

Essentially a 10 min brisk walk radius.

I see a lot of people that go just outside that and walk in. Gives you an extra 30 or so minutes of walking.

And yes, there are a lot of park and rides throughout the city if bussing in works better for you.

I do think the U of M site is better than the Red River Ex. They have similar roadways going in/out (sorry Cory B, I don't buy that the current layout would move way more traffic than U of M does), but that the BRT line was built to the U of M and serves the stadium on game days very well.

I really doubt the stadium at the Ex site would have drastically shifted our city's current snail pace on building dedicated transit infrastructure to have a proper BRT line out there by this point.

I still remember 30 years ago, when my Dad and I would park a block from the old railroad bridge in River Heights, and just walk across down empress to the stadium. It took 20 minutes each way, and really, it's not bad. Many people in the area were doing this. To say that walking 10+ minutes each way is why one would not attend Bomber games, is pretty lazy.

PS...I just checked out that parking map. A good idea may be to park at Superstore just off Bison Drive, and walk across Pembina to the stadium.

BlackDog204
Apr 17, 2023, 10:08 PM

Game 6 sold out yet?

Crisis
Apr 17, 2023, 10:25 PM

Game 6? I thought the Jets sweep teams in the First Round.

Only slightly kidding. I picked the Jets to knock off Vegas in our office hockey pool.

BlackDog204
Apr 18, 2023, 12:15 AM
Game 6? I thought the Jets sweep teams in the First Round.

Only slightly kidding. I picked the Jets to knock off Vegas in our office hockey pool.

I only bet against the Jets historically.

That way I look at the glass half full:

-if the Jets lose, then I do well in my draft
-if the Jets win, I am convinced they did so, due to me betting against them.

bomberjet
Apr 18, 2023, 2:01 PM
Hopefully there is a game 6 otherwise it means Jets are done. haha Game 6 had single seats plus 20 or 30 tickets left in the Budweiser Lounge.

Decent amount of tickets available on FansFirst or Stubhub. Prices well above cost.

harls
Apr 18, 2023, 5:22 PM
I hope they can pull out at least one win in Vegas. Go Jets.

Jammon
Apr 18, 2023, 5:24 PM
Hopefully there is a game 6 otherwise it means Jets are done. haha Game 6 had single seats plus 20 or 30 tickets left in the Budweiser Lounge.

Decent amount of tickets available on FansFirst or Stubhub. Prices well above cost.

Interesting that the media outlets are reporting game 3 and 4 are sold out, yet there's quite a few tickets available on stubhub and other sites. Just a quick tip if anyone wants to go last minute, in the regular season, stubhub seat prices would be reduced by half if you're willing to wait until game day. I'm not sure if that will happen for playoffs, but if you're on the fence, I would check 24 hours prior and see if they are reduced. They are brutally inflated now.

esquire
Apr 18, 2023, 5:29 PM
Interesting that the media outlets are reporting game 3 and 4 are sold out, yet there's quite a few tickets available on stubhub and other sites. Just a quick tip if anyone wants to go last minute, in the regular season, stubhub seat prices would be reduced by half if you're willing to wait until game day. I'm not sure if that will happen for playoffs, but if you're on the fence, I would check 24 hours prior and see if they are reduced. They are brutally inflated now.

Right now the cheapest get-in price I see is around $150 a pop on gametime. If the Jets win tonight that price will increase. If the Jets lose it will drop.

The tickets are all spoken for, stubhub, fansfirst, gametime, etc are all resale tickets. Someone has already purchased them, though.

BlackDog204
Apr 19, 2023, 1:22 AM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/jpcf344hxsnQVNXzn7WjNOUi--U=/0x0:3016x2848/920x613/filters:focal(1107x606:1589x1088):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/59476903/945962408.jpg.0.jpg

Terrible news.

The Dashing Dane will not be playing in Game 1.

BlackDog204
Apr 19, 2023, 4:17 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuDJ3duXwAAKvsy?format=jpg

Gentleman, I may step out for a smoke.

The Jets were so satisfying to watch, that I may have creamed my pants!

OTA in Winnipeg
Apr 19, 2023, 4:22 AM
Yes!!

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 19, 2023, 1:05 PM
what a game!!

for those future Jets watchers, Lambert had 1G 5A (all primary) for Seattle WHL last nght!

esquire
Apr 19, 2023, 1:34 PM
Wow, what a tour de force by the Jets. I'm sure Vegas will come out swinging next time out, but last night they didn't look like a first in the conference team... it wasn't a great endorsement of the Pacific division.

bomberjet
Apr 19, 2023, 1:40 PM
Dominant game 1!

Biff
Apr 19, 2023, 1:43 PM
The Jets set out to do what any road team needs to do in these series and guaranteed the split. I have no doubt that Vegas will come out swinging next game but if the Jets play the same way they can win again. They played really solid defence and cleared the puck quickly from our zone. This is the way Bowness had them playing in the first 2/3 of the season. It looks like it might have clicked in for Schief, Wheeler, Conner and Dubois.

Go Jets Go

CoryB
Apr 19, 2023, 4:10 PM
Monday night Oilers lost game one in overtime.

Earlier last night (Tuesday) the Leafs got embarrassed in game one by Tampa.

The night finished off with the good Jets showing up as an underdog to show up the top team in the western seed.

Yes it is just game 1 for all the teams but as a Jets fan I am definitely liking the three outcomes.

BlackDog204
Apr 19, 2023, 5:47 PM
Wow, what a tour de force by the Jets. I'm sure Vegas will come out swinging next time out, but last night they didn't look like a first in the conference team... it wasn't a great endorsement of the Pacific division.

Goaltending looks to be the Achilles heel of the Golden Knights. Brossoit looks pedestrian, and Quick is past his prime, and is a shell of his former self.

If Hellebuyck puts on a clinic, I believe the Jets will win the series.

bomberjet
Apr 19, 2023, 6:16 PM
I also got this sense regarding goaltending. Brossoit played good for the 1st period. As the broadcast noted, some lucky bounces. The Dubois shot was good, but a good goalie would stop that.

Hellebuyck played great and was in position when it counted. Made the saves he needed to when it mattered. even though he only faced half the shots, it could be a much different outcome if he left in a softie.

drew
Apr 19, 2023, 6:21 PM
I also got this sense regarding goaltending. Brossoit played good for the 1st period. As the broadcast noted, some lucky bounces. The Dubois shot was good, but a good goalie would stop that.

Hellebuyck played great and was in position when it counted. Made the saves he needed to when it mattered. even though he only faced half the shots, it could be a much different outcome if he left in a softie.

I dunno about the Dubois shot. High, stick side, on the quick rush. I don't think that's an easy save for any goalie.

To me, the only weak goal on Bro was the Wheeler one, but even then - lots of traffic in front of Bro.

Helle had more point blank saves required in comparison, and was up to the task.

bomberjet
Apr 19, 2023, 7:20 PM
Fair enough. Was a nice shot for sure.

But for a starting goalie in the playoffs, positioning should stop that. I feel like a shot coming in on the rush like that should never go in. Nitpicking here haha

In contrast, Hellebuyck let that goal in on the rush. Was awkward looking. Kind of soft.

Overall though, Hellebuyck made those positional saves including a couple nice high blockers. That's why he's a Vezina winner I suppose.

harls
Apr 19, 2023, 9:30 PM
Dubois seems to love playoff hockey. :D

The Jabroni
Apr 20, 2023, 2:28 AM
I still love the fact that as of last night, we are the only Canadian team in this years playoffs to win game 1. :)

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 20, 2023, 1:15 PM
Elliott Friedman is reporting on 32 Thoughts podcast (BTW great one to listen to) says this year the GoldenKnights have removed the pedals from exercise bikes outside the
Jets dressing room. In '18 they were playing “games” with the rink lights @ practices. Bush league losers!

dmacc
Apr 20, 2023, 2:14 PM
Elliott Friedman is reporting on 32 Thoughts podcast (BTW great one to listen to) says this year the GoldenKnights have removed the pedals from exercise bikes outside the
Jets dressing room. In '18 they were playing “games” with the rink lights @ practices. Bush league losers!

Meh, just a little harmless fun.

Biff
Apr 20, 2023, 2:20 PM
I always try to tell my son, who gives a shit what the other team says or does - the best answer for any of this is to just beat them.

esquire
Apr 20, 2023, 2:22 PM
Game 2 tonight! It will be interesting to see how Vegas responds after getting badly outplayed in game 1. Is Brossoit starting in net again?

BlackDog204
Apr 20, 2023, 2:44 PM

Vegas is such a petty franchise. In all seriousness, these types of shenanigans were reported in 2018, and the NHL is turning a blind eye to it. If anything, the other NHL owners should either fine the team a significant amount, or risk forfeiting draft picks.

It's such a contrast to how the Nashville Predators handled their 2018 defeat with such class. Playing the Top Gun theme, during the traditional handshake line impressed the hell out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCR6ZdPMOIE&ab_channel=SPORTSNET

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 20, 2023, 3:54 PM

depends if it was all the bikes or just 1. players need that for cool down post-game, if not can lead to player injuries.

CoryB
Apr 21, 2023, 3:36 PM
What a joke that Leafs game turned into last night.

With the Oilers winning game 2 on Wednesday all three Canadian team series are tied 1-1 now.

bomberjet
Apr 21, 2023, 5:16 PM
Vegas finally showed up in the second period last night.

Hopefully the Winnipeg home crowd will help keep that in check for the next two games!

BlackDog204
Apr 22, 2023, 1:49 AM
Vegas finally showed up in the second period last night.

Hopefully the Winnipeg home crowd will help keep that in check for the next two games!

I certainly hope so, but I am not holding my breath. Brossoit was excellent, and the Jets top guns have not kicked it up a gear. Adam Lowry should be the captain next season. He has been the Jets unsung hero for too long.

I certainly hope Ehlers comes back, as he can be a game changer.

BlackDog204
Apr 23, 2023, 12:25 AM
I am so proud of this team, even though they lost.

The Jets, playing without Morrissey, Ehlers, and Perfetti battled back from a 4-1 deficit, and nearly beat Vegas.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 23, 2023, 12:35 AM
Despite the comeback, the Jets didn't deserve to win the game. They were badly outplayed for the majority of it...which makes sense given Vegas has the better depth and better defense.

With Morrissey out for the series, and Ehlers almost certain not to be back, the Jets almost certainly will be done in 5 games.

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 23, 2023, 12:59 AM
Disagree, they were outplayed for 10 min in 2nd, rest of game was fairly even. Coming back from being down 4-1 is unreal. Tough loss.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 23, 2023, 1:52 AM
The Jets were outplayed for the first, second and most of the overtime periods. Vegas also had far more high quality scoring chances as evidenced by the shot chart on tsn. Both the eye test and advanced stats confirm Vegas outplayed the Jets.

BlackDog204
Apr 23, 2023, 2:35 AM
The Jets were outplayed for the first, second and most of the overtime periods. Vegas also had far more high quality scoring chances as evidenced by the shot chart on tsn. Both the eye test and advanced stats confirm Vegas outplayed the Jets.

Jets outplayed Vegas in the 3rd and the first OT. Vegas was lucky to come out with the win.

esquire
Apr 23, 2023, 5:08 PM
Pretty well do or die on Monday night for the Jets. I hope they can withstand the loss of Josh Morrissey, but that obviously throws a huge wrench into things.

BlackDog204
Apr 23, 2023, 5:14 PM
Pretty well do or die on Monday night for the Jets. I hope they can withstand the loss of Josh Morrissey, but that obviously throws a huge wrench into things.

I just hope they don't replace him with Logan Stanley.

esquire
Apr 23, 2023, 5:16 PM
I just hope they don't replace him with Logan Stanley.

Haha, yeah, that would be quite the downgrade. But it will be a big downgrade no matter who you slot in. Hopefully Pionk, Schmidt, DeMelo, Dillon, etc. can step up big time.

CoryB
Apr 24, 2023, 4:01 PM
The report from the Saturday pre-game warm-up is Stanley was dressed and took the warm-up as an unidentified defense player was a game time decision. The identity of that player was not disclosed so we do not know if it was Morrissey or someone else. If the questionable defense player was not Morrissey the Jets could be in a lot more trouble with his loss as we may effectively be down 2 of the top 6 d.

bomberjet
Apr 24, 2023, 4:37 PM
Looks like Morrissey went knee on knee with whomever the Vegas player was. So I'd think his injury was a new injury. But he's been banged up a bit. So who knows if he's the guy or not.

Concerned big Stan coming into the line-up in place of Morrissey....

From an overall team perspective, I've been quite surprised with the level of dominance they've showed over Vegas at times. Of course the lapses completely kill that vibe.

I am still optimistic Jets will pull of a win tonight and we'll get game 6 here on Saturday.

BlackDog204
Apr 24, 2023, 11:41 PM
The report from the Saturday pre-game warm-up is Stanley was dressed and took the warm-up as an unidentified defense player was a game time decision. The identity of that player was not disclosed so we do not know if it was Morrissey or someone else. If the questionable defense player was not Morrissey the Jets could be in a lot more trouble with his loss as we may effectively be down 2 of the top 6 d.

What's the deal with Heinola.

He is the #1 defenseman for the Moose, and just turned 22. Sure, he never made a huge impact when called up for the Jets, but one has to think he is improving with age.

I don't attend Moose games, but does anyone have insight into why Heinola has not been called up this season?

BlackDog204
Apr 25, 2023, 3:27 AM
Scheifele out.
Ehlers out.
Morrissey out.
Perfetti out.
Hellebuyck pedestrian.

Stick a fork in them, the Jets are done.

VANRIDERFAN
Apr 25, 2023, 1:30 PM
Scheifele out.
Ehlers out.
Morrissey out.
Perfetti out.
Hellebuyck pedestrian.

Stick a fork in them, the Jets are done.

Damn, did Scheifele crack or break something when he hit the boards? Big guns cannot seem to stay healthy for the playoffs.

What really grinds my gears is that the F***in Leafs won and now I'll have to listen to the national media go ga ga over them. Or I just ignore the noise.............there, I feel better now.