PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 [83] 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

BlackDog204
Apr 3, 2023, 3:00 AM
The Jets played one of their best games of the season, defeating the red hot Devils 6-1. Bowness must have really lit a fire under them. The Jets are now 43-31-3, equal to their point total last year. Calgary had all kinds of trouble beating a terrible Ducks team 5-4, and remain 2 points back of the Jets. Winnipeg does have the tie-breaker though.

Winnipeg will play Calgary at the Canada Life Centre on Wednesday, and it could conceivably be the game that decides if the Jets make the playoffs or not. The good news is that it is a home game, the Jets will be well rested, and the Flames are playing back-to-back games (they play Chicago Tuesday).

bomberjet
Apr 3, 2023, 2:54 PM
I still have zero faith. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

Biff
Apr 3, 2023, 3:26 PM
The only way I would be in on the Jets at this time is if they go 5-0 or at minimum 4-1 in our remaining games.

I don't believe the team was as good as they were in the first 3/4 of the season as they were one of the leagues best. I also don't believe they were as bad as they have been for the last 6-8 weeks....somewhere in between. With that, we should have another 10 points at least which would 1 or 2 in the division.

If they run the table here and keep scoring we could upset in the first round.

bomberjet
Apr 3, 2023, 3:36 PM
This is one year where the loser points hits the Jets big time.

Dallas and Calgary's position are much higher than they really should be. Can't compare apples to apples if the standings were based on Winnipeg percentage, cause and effect type thing.

But Winnipeg should be competing with Dallas for a division spot instead of missing the playoffs to a team with 7 less wins.

Jets could still be in competition for 1st in the division based on wins! Imagine if they hadnt been sleeping for the last couple months.

https://i.imgur.com/imMwgzE.jpg

esquire
Apr 3, 2023, 3:47 PM
This playoff race is much ado about nothing. The only thing at stake is TNSE's ability to get a box office gate and concession profits from two extra home games. Does anyone really think that the Jets are going to pull off a first round upset over Vegas?

We'd have been better off if the Jets had matched their second half record in the first half and had a shot at Bedard in the draft lottery.

BlackDog204
Apr 3, 2023, 7:00 PM
This playoff race is much ado about nothing. The only thing at stake is TNSE's ability to get a box office gate and concession profits from two extra home games. Does anyone really think that the Jets are going to pull off a first round upset over Vegas?

We'd have been better off if the Jets had matched their second half record in the first half and had a shot at Bedard in the draft lottery.

Personally, I hate the Flames with a passion. In 1985, they tried to win dirty, by taking out Dale Hawerchuk, in his greatest NHL season. Then in 2020, Tkachuk took out Mark Scheifele, by intentionally panting his skate on his heel.

I will take great joy in the Jets eliminating them from playoff contention, just like we did in 1985, 87, and 1992.

BlackDog204
Apr 3, 2023, 7:03 PM
This is one year where the loser points hits the Jets big time.

Dallas and Calgary's position are much higher than they really should be. Can't compare apples to apples if the standings were based on Winnipeg percentage, cause and effect type thing.

But Winnipeg should be competing with Dallas for a division spot instead of missing the playoffs to a team with 7 less wins.

Jets could still be in competition for 1st in the division based on wins! Imagine if they hadnt been sleeping for the last couple months.

https://i.imgur.com/imMwgzE.jpg

This is precisely why I sometimes hate the loser point. The Jets would be 43-34, while the Flames would be 36-41, and already eliminated. Even Nashville would be well behind at 38-37.

pegcityboy
Apr 3, 2023, 7:53 PM
Loser point is stupid it’s Bettmans way of making playoff races more interesting and competitive than they really are.

Hockey
Apr 3, 2023, 8:23 PM
Personally, I hate the Flames with a passion. In 1985, they tried to win dirty, by taking out Dale Hawerchuk, in his greatest NHL season. Then in 2020, Tkachuk took out Mark Scheifele, by intentionally panting his skate on his heel.

I will take great joy in the Jets eliminating them from playoff contention, just like we did in 1985, 87, and 1992.

Not to quibble with you, but the Jets lost to Vcr in 7 games in round 1 of 1992

pegcityboy
Apr 3, 2023, 11:07 PM
Regardless of your level of passion for the team , the Jets also provide 82 nights of entertainment live and on TV in the winter which helps make winter go by quicker ( although not this year lol ) .

BlackDog204
Apr 3, 2023, 11:47 PM
Not to quibble with you, but the Jets lost to Vcr in 7 games in round 1 of 1992

Jets were in a battle with the Flames for the final playoff spot. When the strike ended, we played in Calgary, and won 5-4, eliminating them from the playoffs.

In fact, during the 2019-20 season, when it was interrupted by COVID, the Jets were cruising along, and technically had more points than Calgary. However, after the league called the season off in March, and went with a preliminary best of 5 round in August, the Jets momentum had cooled, and Laine and Scheifele were injured in the first game, otherwise, we probably would have knock the Flames out that year as well.

BlackDog204
Apr 4, 2023, 3:34 AM
Dallas defeated Nashville 5-1 tonight.

Nashville is 5 points back of the Jets, and Winnipeg has the tiebreaker. In order to make the playoffs, Nashville needs to defeat the Jets in Winnipeg, while gaining 6 points on the Jets. Judging from the Predators very tough remining schedule, this is unlikely to happen.

It's down to a 2 horse race. Calgary plays the lowly Chicago Blackhawks tomorrow, and will likely win. However, they will be forced to travel to Winnipeg, and play on Wednesday, less than 24 hours removed from the Chicago game.

This will arguably be the most important regular season game the Jets have played in years.

Standings:

Winnipeg (43-31-3) 89 points
Calgary (36-26-15) 87 points
Nashville (38-30-8) 84 points

BlackDog204
Apr 5, 2023, 9:50 AM
Tonight's game against the Flames is arguably the most important NHL game the Jets have had, since we beat Nashville 5-1 in Game 7 of the 2018 playoffs.

I am really nervous. This game will determine what the Jets are made of.

bomberjet
Apr 5, 2023, 2:05 PM
Jets beat Calgary and Nashville. They should be in. Calgary would be eliminated and need 1 more point to clinch over Nashville. Just need to win.

Nashville and Calgary also play each other. Almost feeling like Jets will be in baring a disaster. Which you can't count out at this point..

All for a first round date with Vegas.

BlackDog204
Apr 5, 2023, 3:50 PM
Jets beat Calgary and Nashville. They should be in. Calgary would be eliminated and need 1 more point to clinch over Nashville. Just need to win.

Nashville and Calgary also play each other. Almost feeling like Jets will be in baring a disaster. Which you can't count out at this point..

All for a first round date with Vegas.

I don't want to jinx the team....

One game at a time. :cheers:

Coldrsx
Apr 5, 2023, 4:02 PM
I will be wearing my Selanne jersey tonight to help provide some mojo.

GO JETS GO!

optimusREIM
Apr 5, 2023, 5:00 PM
Thank you Chicago hahahaha

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 2:15 AM
Well that's the season. Jets choke again!

Coldrsx
Apr 6, 2023, 2:24 AM
If the Jets let Calgary in...

blueandgoldguy
Apr 6, 2023, 2:41 AM
Please get rid of Mark Schiefele. Lazy uninspired player who shies away from contact whenever the going gets tough. I guess he doesn't really want to make the playoffs as he won't get paid for those games.

This is such an unlikable team at this point.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 6, 2023, 2:42 AM
If the Jets let Calgary in...

...then trade away all of Helly, Dubois and Scheif...maybe one or two more. Even if they make it into the playoffs, these players are almost certainly not going to sign extensions in Winnipeg.

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 2:49 AM
Please get rid of Mark Schiefele. Lazy uninspired player who shies away from contact whenever the going gets tough. I guess he doesn't really want to make the playoffs as he won't get paid for those games.

This is such an unlikable team at this point.

Scheifele is not only a selfish, uninspired hockey player, he is also a hypocrite.

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 2:51 AM
...then trade away all of Helly, Dubois and Scheif...maybe one or two more. Even if they make it into the playoffs, these players are almost certainly not going to sign extensions in Winnipeg.

Trading away Hellebuyck is the most bone-headed thing the Jets can do. Yeah, let's bring back Pavelec to replace him!!! :koko:

esquire
Apr 6, 2023, 2:53 AM
Scheifele is not only a selfish, uninspired hockey player, he is also a hypocrite.

Spewing his biblical garbage, while sleeping around like an alley cat.

:???:

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 2:57 AM
:???:

n/m about Scheifele's vices. People can figure that out for themselves. ,

Oilkountry
Apr 6, 2023, 5:09 AM

What makes you think helly wants out? Trading him would be like trading mcdavid. Not easy to find a franchise goaltender. 55 has to go. I think everyone can see thats coming. The core of the Jets needs to be torn apart. Wheeler PLD and 55 need to be traded this off season

Build the team around morrisey,ehlers and connors

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 5:52 AM
What makes you think helly wants out? Trading him would be like trading mcdavid. Not easy to find a franchise goaltender.

Precisely.

Hellebuyck has literally carried this team on his back since 2019. Do the people who want Helle gone, rather the Jets be a bottom feeding team for the past 5 years?

When people seriously state that the jets would be better off trading Hellebuyck, I can see why Winnipeg #1 on players no-trade list (aside from the obvious).

Imagine if the Jets had won the McDavid draft lottery in 2015. It would not be surprising for some Jets fans to want him gone, since "he has not let Winnipeg to a Stanley Cup" yet.

Some people just like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Kinguni
Apr 6, 2023, 11:19 AM

He hasn't been the same player since that 4 game suspension, arguably unjustified, 2 years back in the playoffs. He has generally seemed angry and his play nowhere near what it was that season. He needs to go.

GreyGarden
Apr 6, 2023, 1:07 PM
I completely agree ^. It is bizarre. The 4 game playoff suspension is a turning point when I think of Scheifele’s career.

bomberjet
Apr 6, 2023, 1:24 PM
I see the convo went well after yesterday's game! lol

bomberjet
Apr 6, 2023, 1:25 PM
Hellebuyck is a UFA. Jets should do everything they can to sign him, 100%.

Like I mentioned before. He's said that he will only sign with the team if he likes the direction that the team is going. As of right now, the team is going downhill. If he's not going to sign, he must be traded. Just like Dubois.

Scheifele play is curious. He'll likely be a 40 goal scorer this year. But plays extremely inconsistent. The whole teams play is curious. Lazy mixed with the flashes of brilliance.

esquire
Apr 6, 2023, 1:28 PM
I think it's pretty clear at this point that the Jets have gotten as far as they're ever going to get with this core. This season played out worse than it would have had the Jets just stunk from the get go because a) expectations shot up dramatically after the Jets got off to a good start, and b) the fool's gold start to the season robbed the Jets of a chance to get a top first round pick that could have altered the future of the franchise.

Last summer I would have been reluctant to consider parting with Scheif and company but at this point, the longer that Cheveldayoff delays blowing the whole thing up, the more time that is being wasted.

pspeid
Apr 6, 2023, 2:26 PM
Last summer I would have been reluctant to consider parting with Scheif and company but at this point, the longer that Cheveldayoff delays blowing the whole thing up, the more time that is being wasted.

I agree.

Biff
Apr 6, 2023, 3:30 PM
At this point I am hoping against them making the playoffs. I don't want them to get in and have ownership say they we are close and do some tinkering.

That won't work. They need a significant rebuild. A fresh GM would be a good start as well. I am not a Chevy hater like some, but everyone has an expiry date and he has been here long enough with only one conference final in 12-13 years....and only 5 playoff appearances.

As I have said before, if they had run the table at the end of the season here I might have bought into the theory that they are back on course and could make some noise in the playoffs. Last nights loss to Calgary just solidified that they are a flawed team that needs fixing.

optimusREIM
Apr 6, 2023, 3:50 PM
At this point I am hoping against them making the playoffs. I don't want them to get in and have ownership say they we are close and do some tinkering.

That won't work. They need a significant rebuild. A fresh GM would be a good start as well. I am not a Chevy hater like some, but everyone has an expiry date and he has been here long enough with only one conference final in 12-13 years....and only 5 playoff appearances.

As I have said before, if they had run the table at the end of the season here I might have bought into the theory that they are back on course and could make some noise in the playoffs. Last nights loss to Calgary just solidified that they are a flawed team that needs fixing.

I mean, last night's game wasn't really bad game though, that's the thing. They looked hungry and put on a good solid effort. You probably want more out of your guys for sure, but they didn't look completely listless like the stretch post allstar break to a couple weeks ago. I thought the team even played decently well during a good amount of games that they should have come away with wins from. That said, slow starts, faceoff losses, and literally all of our best players going cold for two months hurt us bad. It's a dressing room issue, get rid of the cancer.

They still have the potential to surprise us in the playoffs, but the team hasn't looked totally comfortable with itself since fall 2018.

bomberjet
Apr 6, 2023, 4:21 PM
Jets looked okay at the start. But when Calgary exerted some pressure, they folded like a cheap tent. Guys like Zadorov and Lucic pushed them around.

rrskylar
Apr 6, 2023, 4:39 PM
Jets looked okay at the start. But when Calgary exerted some pressure, they folded like a cheap tent. Guys like Zadorov and Lucic pushed them around.

The Jets Bantam sized D (Dillon and Samberg aside) got manhandled by the Flames!

Jets top 6 didn't want seem to want to compete!

WinCitySparky
Apr 6, 2023, 5:48 PM
Bring back the Eaton’s building! lol

prairiedog007
Apr 6, 2023, 7:38 PM
LOL :cheers:

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 10:17 PM
Hellebuyck is a UFA. Jets should do everything they can to sign him, 100%.

Like I mentioned before. He's said that he will only sign with the team if he likes the direction that the team is going. As of right now, the team is going downhill. If he's not going to sign, he must be traded. Just like Dubois.

Can you provide a source for Hellebuyck's comments.

Personally, I would keep Helle until the trade deadline next year, and only trade him as a last resort. Who do the Jets have to replace him Arvid Holm? If we trade Helle, our greatest need- by far, will be a starting goalie. And if we trade goalie for goalie, we will end up with a far inferior goalie, so get ready for a return of the Pavelec days.

Scheifele play is curious. He'll likely be a 40 goal scorer this year. But plays extremely inconsistent. The whole teams play is curious. Lazy mixed with the flashes of brilliance.

We should have traded him last season. He was mentally checked out, and in his exit interview, he acted as he did not care. with two years at just over 6 million/season, we could have gotten a much greater return.

BlackDog204
Apr 6, 2023, 10:21 PM
The Jets Bantam sized D (Dillon and Samberg aside) got manhandled by the Flames!

Jets top 6 didn't want seem to want to compete!

https://alchetron.com/cdn/dustin-byfuglien-4710f599-0a67-4757-82a1-e67e77f8ab0-resize-750.jpeg

Most of us had no idea that losing Buff would have such a negative effect on our team. He was arguably the most intimidating player in the league, and would have ate Lucic for breakfast.

dmacc
Apr 7, 2023, 1:12 AM
https://alchetron.com/cdn/dustin-byfuglien-4710f599-0a67-4757-82a1-e67e77f8ab0-resize-750.jpeg

Most of us had no idea that losing Buff would have such a negative effect on our team. He was arguably the most intimidating player in the league, and would have ate Lucic for breakfast.

The worst part for the team was that he was lost for nothing and so abruptly. His loss amounted to no picks, no player, and no cap room to reinvest. The year he didn't return was a lost year because you lost a top pairing D man with no opportunity to replace him because he still took up cap space.

BlackDog204
Apr 7, 2023, 2:43 AM
The worst part for the team was that he was lost for nothing and so abruptly. His loss amounted to no picks, no player, and no cap room to reinvest. The year he didn't return was a lost year because you lost a top pairing D man with no opportunity to replace him because he still took up cap space.

To be fair, Buff did not inform the Jets that he was quitting, and as a result, the team did not pay out his final two seasons at $8,000,000+ a year. Buff did not handle his retirement very honourably, considering it screwed over the team.

OTOH, if Buff quit, since he considered how dysfunctional the Jets dressing room was, and he decided to pack it in and fish, as he lost his passion for the game, that is on Chevy and Chipman.

I would really like to know why Buff refused to report to the training camp in 2019, and quit the team. It's been clouded in secrecy for years.

BlackDog204
Apr 7, 2023, 2:44 AM
Nashville is on fire, and just defeated the #2 Overall Carolina Hurricanes.

Put a fork in them, the Jets are done. No chance they are going to beat Nashville.

harls
Apr 9, 2023, 1:36 AM
Put a fork in them, the Jets are done. No chance they are going to beat Nashville.
https://i.gifer.com/345X.gif

BlackDog204
Apr 9, 2023, 4:58 AM
The Jets played arguably their best game of the season, shutting out the Predators 2-0, while the Flames lost in shootout to the Vancouver Canucks.

On Monday, the Jets are home to San Jose, while Nashville plays in Calgary.

If the Jets and Predators win, Calgary is eliminated.

VANRIDERFAN
Apr 9, 2023, 11:08 AM
https://i.gifer.com/345X.gif

Jets are a Jekyll and Hyde team. Which one will show up against the Sharks?

Kinguni
Apr 9, 2023, 2:50 PM
Jets are a Jekyll and Hyde team. Which one will show up against the Sharks?

If it's the team that showed up in the 1st period, they lose. If it's the team that showed up in the 2nd and 3rd periods, they can beat anyone.

BlackDog204
Apr 10, 2023, 5:41 AM
I have a bad feeling about the game against the Sharks. In spite of being one of the worst teams in the NHL, the Sharks have had the Jets number this season, with a 2-0 record. The Jets played the Sharks less than two weeks ago at home, and it was one of the most pathetic efforts I have ever seen, as San Jose easily won 3-0.

If the Jets lose to San Jose tomorrow, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

VANRIDERFAN
Apr 10, 2023, 12:09 PM
I have a bad feeling about the game against the Sharks. In spite of being one of the worst teams in the NHL, the Sharks have had the Jets number this season, with a 2-0 record. The Jets played the Sharks less than two weeks ago at home, and it was one of the most pathetic efforts I have ever seen, as San Jose easily won 3-0.

If the Jets lose to San Jose tomorrow, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Totally agree.

dennis
Apr 10, 2023, 9:06 PM
If it's the team that showed up in the 1st period, they lose. If it's the team that showed up in the 2nd and 3rd periods, they can beat anyone.

In the last minutes of the first, the championship quality Jets showed up.

BlackDog204
Apr 11, 2023, 4:16 AM
Flames Eliminated!!!

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 11, 2023, 12:49 PM
Go JETS Go

CoryB
Apr 11, 2023, 1:44 PM
I would really like to know why Buff refused to report to the training camp in 2019, and quit the team. It's been clouded in secrecy for years.

I am sure there is still footage out there of Buff getting a hard shot in the ankle after which he missed a lot of time which a hockey related injury.

Supposedly the Buff version of the story is the team and their medical staff pressured him to return from that injury before he was ready resulting in an additional hockey related injury which effectively ended his playing career. (ie possibly a broken ankle that never healed correctly).

Where the supposed team version is after the injury above he was cleared by all the medical people needed to return to playing hockey full time.

Since it became a legal matter, although it went to closed door mediation instead of a court neither side really wants the details of their full version made public and it likely got heavily cloaked in non-disclosure for say 20 years after the settlement.

--

Separately from how Buff's playing career ended enough time has passed now it really is time to mend those wounds, at least publicly, and give Buff the big public retirement send off he deserves with the fans here, even if that isn't something he really wants. I am sure there is a deal to be made for a few appearance fees that could cover that off. Reality is a Buff retirement/tribute night would easily get CLC sold out for a game and a fundraising dinner would sell out quickly.

Biff
Apr 11, 2023, 2:03 PM
My understanding is that the injury above needed a further surgery and fairly lengthy rehabilitation which Buff was not willing to go through only to play one or two more years of hockey before a more official retirement.

I can actually understand his point in not wanting to pursue the operation and rehab - it's the way he walked away and basically screwed over the team which rubbed me the wrong way.

It is all in the past now. He was easily my favorite player from an entertainment level and I am happy I was able to see a once in a lifetime player like him. There will never be another player like him - highly skilled, super size, intense physicality and comical personality.

BlackDog204
Apr 11, 2023, 2:10 PM
Separately from how Buff's playing career ended enough time has passed now it really is time to mend those wounds, at least publicly, and give Buff the big public retirement send off he deserves with the fans here, even if that isn't something he really wants. I am sure there is a deal to be made for a few appearance fees that could cover that off. Reality is a Buff retirement/tribute night would easily get CLC sold out for a game and a fundraising dinner would sell out quickly.

With the exception of Teemu Selanne and Dale Hawerchuk, I know of no Winnipeg Jet player that was ever as beloved as Byfuglien was since the Jets entered the NHL in 1979.

Hopefully TNSE and Buff have buried the hatchet, and he can be the next Jets inductee to the Hall of Fame.

BlackDog204
Apr 11, 2023, 2:12 PM
Winnipeg's magic number is one.

This means that any combination of Jets Wins/OT losses in their final two games OR Nashville losing, will see the Jets clinch a playoff spot.

Both Nashville and Winnipeg finish the season playing Minnesota and Colorado.

Biff
Apr 11, 2023, 2:23 PM
I can see both the Jets and Nashville loosing both games.

optimusREIM
Apr 11, 2023, 3:53 PM
I can see both the Jets and Nashville loosing both games.

True, but the bottom line is that the jets can play themselves into the postseason by going to overtime tonight. If the jets can beat the wild, it’s a very good sign. Not expecting to pick up a point, but it’s a great opportunity to show everyone what they’re made of.

cheswick
Apr 11, 2023, 5:21 PM
True, but the bottom line is that the jets can play themselves into the postseason by going to overtime tonight. If the jets can beat the wild, it’s a very good sign. Not expecting to pick up a point, but it’s a great opportunity to show everyone what they’re made of.

They're made from what's real.

optimusREIM
Apr 11, 2023, 6:08 PM
:yuck:They're made from what's real.

CoryB
Apr 11, 2023, 6:10 PM
Hopefully TNSE and Buff have buried the hatchet, and he can be the next Jets inductee to the Hall of Fame.

They don't necessarily need to have fully moved on, just be at the point they can agree to behave together for a weekend. As I suggested Buff could get a nice payout as an appearance fee and TNSE could reconnect with all the early Jets 2.0 fans that are starting to drift away from the team.

It is possible for both sides to win there without completely putting the past behind them.

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 4:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FtewUqqWIAE48IS?format=jpg

thurmas
Apr 12, 2023, 12:43 PM
Well I said last summer this was a mid range team fighting for the final playoff spot and was proven right. I just didn't think it would be such a jekyll and hyde year of massive success first half and epic collapse in part 2 of the season but atleast we are in and hopefully a few playoff games stops true north threatening to move the team like they did yesterday with their 2023 2024 season ticket campaign.

Biff
Apr 12, 2023, 12:50 PM
Depending how it shakes out for 1st in the Western Conference - I see the Jets beating the Knights, but loosing to either the Oilers or Avalanche.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 1:38 PM
It's nice that the Jets made the playoffs but after the way this season went down, I don't think anyone can realistically be brimming with confidence over what's in store. The Jets never beat Vegas in three tries this season, and the Jets played them earlier on in the season when they were flying high, relatively speaking. They seemed to handle Edmonton better. Colorado would be too much for the Jets, assuming they aren't saddled with injuries.

VANRIDERFAN
Apr 12, 2023, 1:41 PM
^^
I have no illusions about their chances against the Knights, but will watch with interest on how they perform.

dmacc
Apr 12, 2023, 2:14 PM
No time like the present to start exorcising our daemons.

dmacc
Apr 12, 2023, 2:14 PM
...or not.

Crisis
Apr 12, 2023, 2:32 PM
As an Oiler fan, I'd rather not see the Oilers face the Jets in Round One. The Jets are playing good hockey (7-3 in last 10) heading into the playoffs and generally play well against the Oilers.

Depending on what happens this evening & Thursday, the Avs, Golden Knights & Oilers all have a shot at 1st in the West. Jets can make sure they don't have to play Colorado in Round One by beating them tonight.

Coldrsx
Apr 12, 2023, 2:36 PM
I don't want to face the Jets round 1 and hope they take Vegas out.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 2:36 PM
As an Oiler fan, I'd rather not see the Oilers face the Jets in Round One. The Jets are playing good hockey (7-3 in last 10) heading into the playoffs and generally play well against the Oilers.

It's true. On paper, Edmonton should be a daunting matchup but for whatever reason the Jets have been able to do a good job taking on the Oilers over the last few years.

pspeid
Apr 12, 2023, 2:43 PM
I really hope people just take a few hours and enjoy the fact the Jets are in the playoffs, instead of tallying up reasons why they're destined to fail miserably. There's no point in supporting a team if you won't let yourself be happy until they've won the Stanley Cup.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 2:54 PM
I really hope people just take a few hours and enjoy the fact the Jets are in the playoffs, instead of tallying up reasons why they're destined to fail miserably. There's no point in supporting a team if you won't let yourself be happy until they've won the Stanley Cup.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/4b/6a/434b6a6a663cee050a29db29f972c034.jpg

My favourite meme of all time :D

pspeid
Apr 12, 2023, 3:50 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/4b/6a/434b6a6a663cee050a29db29f972c034.jpg

my favourite meme of all time :d

exactly!!:)

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 3:53 PM
Well I said last summer this was a mid range team fighting for the final playoff spot and was proven right. I just didn't think it would be such a jekyll and hyde year of massive success first half and epic collapse in part 2 of the season but atleast we are in and hopefully a few playoff games stops true north threatening to move the team like they did yesterday with their 2023 2024 season ticket campaign.

I did not perceive TNSE message as a threat. I'm of the opinion that they want the Winnipeg business community to step up to the plate. The truth iof that matter is, the NHL has reached the threshold of the Winnipeg market.

Paying over $80 a seat, having to fork over insane prices for food and drinks, while not being allowed to leave between intermissions is ridiculous. Why not stop gouging people at the concession stand. Better yet, lower season ticket prices by 10%

It's not like the Jets are losing money.

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 3:56 PM
It's nice that the Jets made the playoffs but after the way this season went down, I don't think anyone can realistically be brimming with confidence over what's in store. The Jets never beat Vegas in three tries this season, and the Jets played them earlier on in the season when they were flying high, relatively speaking. They seemed to handle Edmonton better. Colorado would be too much for the Jets, assuming they aren't saddled with injuries.

I would rather play Vegas than Edmonton. The Oilers look like they did in their dynasty years. I think they have went 17-2-1, in their last 20.

Vegas does not have the star power of Edmonton, and if Hellebuyck plays like he did yesterday, the Jets may give the Knights a run for their money.

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 3:58 PM
Depending on what happens this evening & Thursday, the Avs, Golden Knights & Oilers all have a shot at 1st in the West. Jets can make sure they don't have to play Colorado in Round One by beating them tonight.

The Avalanche can't win the West. They have been mathematically eliminated from the #1 Conference spot.

As it is, the only way Winnipeg will play Edmonton, is if Vegas loses their final game in regulation time, and Edmonton wins their last game.

Jammon
Apr 12, 2023, 4:11 PM
I did not perceive TNSE message as a threat. I'm of the opinion that they want the Winnipeg business community to step up to the plate. The truth iof that matter is, the NHL has reached the threshold of the Winnipeg market.

Paying over $80 a seat, having to fork over insane prices for food and drinks, while not being allowed to leave between intermissions is ridiculous. Why not stop gouging people at the concession stand. Better yet, lower season ticket prices by 10%

I totally agree. I'm hearing all sorts of irrelevant chatter about why people aren't going to games anymore and I think you hit the nail on the head. I had season tickets with another couple and we dropped them after this year. We were supposed to share in another section (123) and TNSE dropped the bomb on the season ticket owner and notified them that their seats were being allocated to the expanded Budweiser zone and the ticket price per game went from $128 to $289. No explanation, no offer to reallocate them to another zone, just handed a bill for renewal of season tickets at the inflated price.

I am a very disgruntled fan. They treat season ticket holders like garbage and just expect that we will renew because it's the Jets. I, like most Winnipeggers, am watching what I spend and the Jets are just not a priority for me right now. I love this team dearly, but I have a major bone to pick with TNSE based on the reasons you cited here. Our section that we sat in this year was poorly attended. Often empty seats. The seats next to us were being offered for half the price we paid as season ticket holders plus a free beer. How is that fair?? I really do not like Chipman and how he does business. And this appeal to the community to pick up 3,000 seats is laughable when they really don't listen to season ticket holders when we offer our feedback anyway. Last year, I went to them and told them we were going to have a hard time buying our seats in our last section (103) because people dropped out. They couldn't afford the seats and I couldn't afford them myself and I was open and transparent about possibly needing to terminate my contract early. Their response: you will be hearing from our legal team. Not the way to do business when everyone is hurting economically.

I will not be buying season tickets again until they make it worthwhile and start listening to the fans about what they want.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 4:17 PM

It's kind of funny, in some respects it has never been cheaper to go to a Jets game. There were plenty of games where resale tickets were available for as low as $25. Yes that is for a nosebleed seat, but CLC is a fairly small arena... the view is still pretty good up there. And there were better seats (including lower bowl) consistently available for under $100.

I realize concessions are expensive, but there is an easy answer to that issue... just eat at home. I usually have dinner around 6 pm so the last thing I want at a game is a Jumbo Jets Dog or whatever. A drink to sip on is enough to make me happy. And parking is a non-issue, I park on the street and never have to pay.

If you had told a non-season ticket holding Jets fan in 2011 that they could get a pair of Jets tickets for $60, they would have been pretty happy with that offer. Now people are kind of indifferent. It's interesting.

On Jammon's post and others I've read, it does sound to me like where the Jets really dropped the ball is making season ticket holders feel valued and special. I can tell you that as an ICE season ticket holder I've received far more perks for my money than I ever did with my Jets half-season package, even though ICE tickets are way cheaper. The ICE don't have to do these things, but it does build goodwill. All the Jets give you is your tickets and an invoice which is fine, but for an organization that sells what is basically a frill (i.e. no one "needs" sports tickets) at very high prices, I'm not sure that taking the same bare-bones customer service approach as, say, a utility company is that smart in the long run. Making legal threats against your customers is insanity IMO... talk about burning bridges.

thurmas
Apr 12, 2023, 4:17 PM

I believe they are losing between 5 and 10 million a year they need sellouts to be profitable. With downtown businesses still only at 64% workers back in the office after covid-19 i think thats really hurt their corporate attendance as the average worker cannot afford nhl season tickets anymore.

GreyGarden
Apr 12, 2023, 4:35 PM
I thought it was interesting that 85% of Winnipeg’s season ticket base is personal accounts. I didn’t realize that in other Canadian markets, 45-85% of the season ticket base is business accounts.

Link: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/2023/04/11/jets-owner-wants-biz-community-to-spark-season-ticket-sales

thurmas
Apr 12, 2023, 4:36 PM
Also heard that at the bell luncheon yesterday Chipman noted season tickets sales were down 3500 this year. The deadness of downtown hurts this club if clc was at the old Winnipeg Arena site or in South Winnipeg not sure they would have as hard a time filling the place.

drew
Apr 12, 2023, 4:38 PM
On Jammon's post and others I've read, it does sound to me like where the Jets really dropped the ball is making season ticket holders feel valued and special. I can tell you that as an ICE season ticket holder I've received far more perks for my money than I ever did with my Jets half-season package, even though ICE tickets are way cheaper. The ICE don't have to do these things, but it does build goodwill. All the Jets give you is your tickets and an invoice which is fine, but for an organization that sells what is basically a frill (i.e. no one "needs" sports tickets) at very high prices, I'm not sure that taking the same bare-bones customer service approach as, say, a utility company is that smart in the long run. Making legal threats against your customers is insanity IMO... talk about burning bridges.

I think I mentioned it here in the past, but our season ticket group is dissolving after this season. We are originals, back to the very first season.

But yes, the complete lack of any special treatment of season ticket holders has brought us to this. TNSE really lost the room, and has a lot of work to do to bring season ticket holders back in.

Continual price increases, concession price increases, etc. etc. I just can't justify the expense and time anymore, and I will just pick up tickets in future seasons as I needed.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 4:39 PM
Also heard that at the bell luncheon yesterday Chipman noted season tickets sales were down 3500 this year. The deadness of downtown hurts this club if clc was at the old Winnipeg Arena site or in South Winnipeg not sure they would have as hard a time filling the place.

I don't know. Does location matter all that much? The Jets were not known for selling out at the old Winnipeg Arena site. People either want to go or they don't.

TimeFadesAway
Apr 12, 2023, 4:46 PM
I think I mentioned it here in the past, but our season ticket group is dissolving after this season. We are originals, back to the very first season.

But yes, the complete lack of any special treatment of season ticket holders has brought us to this. TNSE really lost the room, and has a lot of work to do to bring season ticket holders back in.

Continual price increases, concession price increases, etc. etc. I just can't justify the expense and time anymore, and I will just pick up tickets in future seasons as I needed.

I'm actually surprised they are down only 3500. Our group dissolved a couple of years ago and it was just my wife and me and we would unload games we didn't go to on her parents. After management decided to mail in the back half of last season by not hiring a real coach and them the mailing in of some of the players in the back half of this season, we've decided to let it go and just buy the games we want to see. Listening and talking to those in the seats around us, it seems like a fair number are doing the same.

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 5:00 PM
I believe they are losing between 5 and 10 million a year they need sellouts to be profitable. With downtown businesses still only at 64% workers back in the office after covid-19 i think thats really hurt their corporate attendance as the average worker cannot afford nhl season tickets anymore.

I've heard from multiple sources that the Jets turned a profit in 2021-22, in spite of lower attendance than this season.

Hypothetically, even if the Jets did lose in the neighbourhood of $5-10 million/year, I am sure a clever accountant could write the losses off, considering how much property TNSE owes.

Jammon
Apr 12, 2023, 5:05 PM
I've heard from multiple sources that the Jets turned a profit in 2021-22, in spite of lower attendance than this season.

Hypothetically, even if the Jets did lose in the neighbourhood of $5-10 million/year, I am sure a clever accountant could write the losses off, considering how much property TNSE owes.

They're also going to recoup a large chunk now that they are in the playoffs. If the Jets continue to play the way they have been, they could upset Vegas (assuming that's who they will play) and go on a run. Or, they could be out in 4. Who knows.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 5:12 PM
I'm actually surprised they are down only 3500. Our group dissolved a couple of years ago and it was just my wife and me and we would unload games we didn't go to on her parents. After management decided to mail in the back half of last season by not hiring a real coach and them the mailing in of some of the players in the back half of this season, we've decided to let it go and just buy the games we want to see. Listening and talking to those in the seats around us, it seems like a fair number are doing the same.

At one point season tickets were the only way to get in at a decent price. Now having season tickets means you can't take advantage of discount prices on the resale market, the team's own promos, or even offers of free tickets from friends/associates who can't make it.

For some people at the very high end of the income scale those considerations don't matter... I doubt Hartley Richardson is going to give up his season tickets so that he can get cheap tickets on FansFirst. But I'd imagine that for a good chunk of the season ticket base, those types of savings are hard to ignore. I bought tickets for several Jets games this season that were considerably cheaper on the resale market than if I had bought them at Ticketmaster.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 12, 2023, 5:12 PM
I'm happy the team is back in the playoffs despite my feelings about some of the core players on the team.

As for decline in season ticket holders, I'm surprised business accounts are only 15% of all season ticket holder accounts. I realize the corporate community is small here, but 15%!? I thought businesses accounted for 40% or so of the season ticket base...at least that's what I thought I heard back in the early days of the Jets. Can anyone confirm?

BlackDog204
Apr 12, 2023, 5:15 PM
It's kind of funny, in some respects it has never been cheaper to go to a Jets game. There were plenty of games where resale tickets were available for as low as $25. Yes that is for a nosebleed seat, but CLC is a fairly small arena... the view is still pretty good up there. And there were better seats (including lower bowl) consistently available for under $100.

I have gone to multiple Jets games in Alberta, against the Oilers and Flames. I do not believe I ever spent over $40 a ticket. The Oilers/Jets games at the old Coliseum were ridiculously cheap, as it was the pre-McDavid years.

I realize concessions are expensive, but there is an easy answer to that issue... just eat at home. I usually have dinner around 6 pm so the last thing I want at a game is a Jumbo Jets Dog or whatever. A drink to sip on is enough to make me happy. And parking is a non-issue, I park on the street and never have to pay.

That is precisely what I did. Ride the LRT, then walk to a pub 10 minutes away from the arena, and have a couple of drinks and some pub food for $25. It beats paying for $13 beers. On many occasions when I bought tickets off fans with season tickets, they would throw in vouchers for concessions for free, so I could often get food at the arena for 1/2 price. I can see why the season ticket base has eroded.

If you had told a non-season ticket holding Jets fan in 2011 that they could get a pair of Jets tickets for $60, they would have been pretty happy with that offer. Now people are kind of indifferent. It's interesting.

I had honestly predicted that in 2012. It was always like this in Alberta, where there is more money and people. I knew once the "new car smell" wore off on the Jets, and once the 5-year season ticket commitment was up in 2016, the prospective season ticket buyers base would slowly erode, unless by some miracle, the Jets were Stanley Cup contenders for a lengthy period of time. Unfortunately for the Jets, that only lasted from 2017-19.

On Jammon's post and others I've read, it does sound to me like where the Jets really dropped the ball is making season ticket holders feel valued and special. I can tell you that as an ICE season ticket holder I've received far more perks for my money than I ever did with my Jets half-season package, even though ICE tickets are way cheaper. The ICE don't have to do these things, but it does build goodwill. All the Jets give you is your tickets and an invoice which is fine, but for an organisation that sells what is basically a frill (i.e. no one "needs" sports tickets) at very high prices, I'm not sure that taking the same bare-bones customer service approach as, say, a utility company is that smart in the long run. Making legal threats against your customers is insanity IMO... talk about burning bridges.

TNSE just got greedy. I still remember when the Jets sold out 5-year commitments in a matter of minutes, when they went on sale to the general public, and they capped the season ticket wait list at 8,000. The organisation falsely assumed there would be an endless supply of consumers willing to buy their products for over a decade. This was never going to be the case, and if they had studied other markets like Ottawa, Edmonton, and Calgary, they would have known this to be the case.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 12, 2023, 5:15 PM
Is True North reminding everyone about attendance because they plan on rebuilding after this year?

thurmas
Apr 12, 2023, 5:23 PM
I am shocked business accounts for only 15 % of season tickets. I thought Bison Transport and Transx, New Flyer, Buehler ect.. would have more season seats with them.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 5:24 PM
I had honestly predicted that in 2012. It was always like this in Alberta, where there is more money and people. I knew once the "new car smell" wore off on the Jets, and once the 5-year season ticket commitment was up in 2016, the prospective season ticket buyers base would slowly erode, unless by some miracle, the Jets were Stanley Cup contenders for a lengthy period of time. Unfortunately for the Jets, that only lasted from 2017-19.

I would think a lot of people must just get their fill of hockey, to some extent. If you have a full or half season ticket and attend most games, that is an absolute boatload of hockey. Even if you love it, that is a massive time commitment.

After seven or eight years of that, with thousands of dollars spent on tickets, I think a lot of people just want to move on to something else, especially if the team is not doing so hot.

I guess the difference between Winnipeg and larger markets is that in LA, Chicago, Toronto, etc. there are a bunch of people ready to take your place if you leave. In Winnipeg there probably aren't all that many. Our "one percenter" base is only about 7,500, and not all of them like hockey.

Sheepish
Apr 12, 2023, 6:37 PM
Personally, I think it's time to set aside the business matters, and focus on the rebound and recovery at the end of the season. Let's see what this team can do in the playoffs, and the rest of us should enjoy the ride. The last 3 games were real statements. Not so worried about the last game against the Avs - so long as they play with heart. If they can carry this forward it will be an interesting opening series. We will quickly see what this team is REALLY made of. Go Jets.

pegcityboy
Apr 12, 2023, 7:40 PM
Having gone to 30 games this year , when team is struggling it is a big time commitment and money to a lesser extent , ask my wife how I was during March and it was getting hard going to the rink over and over . Having said all that we renewed our 4 P3s seasons , we love hockey and the Jets and love the City and want it to keep having NHL hockey. We are far from millionaires but we just have to make choices and prioritize and the Jets are a high priority to us. Perfect example is our Wives went on a winter vacation, we chose the Jets and didn’t and could afford to go , it’s priorities lucky our group isn’t smokers or big drinkers. Lol We are excited for playoffs best time of year and being critical or not Jets HAVE MADE the playoffs 5/6 years not too shabby considering some peoples opinion of this franchise.

optimusREIM
Apr 12, 2023, 7:48 PM
Personally, I think it's time to set aside the business matters, and focus on the rebound and recovery at the end of the season. Let's see what this team can do in the playoffs, and the rest of us should enjoy the ride. The last 3 games were real statements. Not so worried about the last game against the Avs - so long as they play with heart. If they can carry this forward it will be an interesting opening series. We will quickly see what this team is REALLY made of. Go Jets.

My prediction is that the Jets have enough energy to upset Vegas (assuming that's who we play) in 6 games then lose to Edmonton in the second round, just like the good old days...

harls
Apr 12, 2023, 8:15 PM
Damn you guys are depressing.

Jets gonna blow through these chumps. Helly going to stand on his head.

Yeah? No?

C'mon.

esquire
Apr 12, 2023, 8:20 PM
Damn you guys are depressing.

Jets gonna blow through these chumps. Helly going to stand on his head.

Yeah? No?

C'mon.

Blame TNSE for launching their debbie downer of a marketing campaign and stealing their own thunder from clinching a playoff spot.

dmacc
Apr 12, 2023, 8:31 PM
Can you even imagine meeting the Oilers in the first round and having Pionk move back into his rent free home in McDavids head just like 2021? It would be glorious.