PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg Jets

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93

esquire
Apr 25, 2023, 1:51 PM
Can we honestly say that any of this is unexpected? The Jets got everyone's hopes up with that game 1 win, but at the end of the day the 8th seed is always going to be a long shot up against the 1st seed. The rash of injuries has just sealed the deal.

CoryB
Apr 25, 2023, 1:58 PM
Damn, did Scheifele crack or break something when he hit the boards?

I haven't rewatched it in slow more but Scheifele hits the boards and continues on in the game. A short time later he attempts a shot or pass and lacks any power and leaves the ice and game immediately. Taking a guess the hit on the board is causing him pain the shoulder but reality is it could be anywhere on his arm.

Biff
Apr 25, 2023, 2:33 PM
Take Eichel (Scheifele), Karlsson (Ehlers) and Pieterangelo (Morrissey) out for Vegas and see how they do. The Morrissey loss is the one that really sunk the Jets.

The off season should be interesting. I look forward to the changes...oh please let there be changes - significant changes.

drew
Apr 25, 2023, 2:37 PM
Take Eichel (Scheifele), Karlsson (Ehlers) and Pieterangelo (Morrissey) out for Vegas and see how they do. The Morrissey loss is the one that really sunk the Jets.

The off season should be interesting. I look forward to the changes...oh please let there be changes - significant changes.

The Jets are down Scheifele, Ehlers, Perfetti and Morrissey. That is almost an entire #1 power play line on most teams. Hard to make a run when you are that hobbled.

bomberjet
Apr 25, 2023, 3:20 PM
The injuries will be used as an excuse for little change in the offseason.

I ended up missing the last 2 periods last night. But I'm actually surprised the Jets have kept up with Vegas as they have.

BlackDog204
Apr 25, 2023, 3:35 PM
Can we honestly say that any of this is unexpected? The Jets got everyone's hopes up with that game 1 win, but at the end of the day the 8th seed is always going to be a long shot up against the 1st seed. The rash of injuries has just sealed the deal.

I completely disagree.

If the Jets had Morrissey, Ehlers, and Scheifele yesterday, I think we would have won. Hell, the Jets probably should be up 3-1, if the team was healthy.

blueandgoldguy
Apr 25, 2023, 6:19 PM
The injuries will be used as an excuse for little change in the offseason.

I ended up missing the last 2 periods last night. But I'm actually surprised the Jets have kept up with Vegas as they have.

Hellybuyck, Scheifele and Dubois are all UFAs in 2024 unless they sign extensions. Chevy and True North are not the types to lose prime assets for nothing so their hands will likely be forced this summer. I can't see them going into 2023-24 with none of those players signed to long-term deals.

Morrissey was the biggest loss imo and pretty much negated any chance of a first round upset. Scheifele's loss hurt but he wasn't that impactful for most of these playoffs just as he has been for the second half of the season.

People can claim the Jets would win the series if they had been healthy, but I'm not buying it. The team was almost completely healthy from late January to nearly the end of the season and they stumbled badly with a sub .500 record for the second half of the season. I don't see any reason to believe they would have suddenly turned it on against Vegas with a healthy lineup. They are what they are.

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 25, 2023, 6:23 PM
Chevy did great at trade deadline and should re-sign Niderider and Namestikov for 3 yrs each. Back-end needs re-inforcement, we have 3 great D-man but we need 5.

pspeid
Apr 25, 2023, 6:27 PM
Hellybuyck, Scheifele and Dubois are all UFAs in 2024 unless they sign extensions. Chevy and True North are not the types to lose prime assets for nothing so their hands will likely be forced this summer. I can't see them going into 2023-24 with none of those players signed to long-term deals.

Morrissey was the biggest loss imo and pretty much negated any chance of a first round upset. Scheifele's loss hurt but he wasn't that impactful for most of these playoffs just as he has been for the second half of the season.

People can claim the Jets would win the series if they had been healthy, but I'm not buying it. The team was almost completely healthy from late January to nearly the end of the season and they stumbled badly with a sub .500 record for the second half of the season. I don't see any reason to believe they would have suddenly turned it on against Vegas with a healthy lineup. They are what they are.

Personally I'm bracing myself for a big teardown/rebuild after this season. Tweaks don't seem to do anything at this point.

This is all just unedjumacated guesswork on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the guys mentioned shipped out for a ton of draft picks, including first-rounders. If some high-talent youngsters can get drafted it might keep the fans interested long enough for them to develop into a competitive team. Otherwise I fear the Jets will become Canucks-East; a team that was once competitive but spends years trying to get back into a serious position to compete.

esquire
Apr 25, 2023, 6:45 PM
Personally I'm bracing myself for a big teardown/rebuild after this season. Tweaks don't seem to do anything at this point.

Wasn't that the point of the implied threat advertising campaign? i.e. don't even think about not paying those season tickets invoices while we rebuild, or else

Jammon
Apr 25, 2023, 7:29 PM
Wasn't that the point of the implied threat advertising campaign? i.e. don't even think about not paying those season tickets invoices while we rebuild, or else

It's interesting timing. My friend in Atlanta told me about a 2 billion dollar pitch for a new sports entertainment district with the plan to bring back an NHL team. The most interesting point is that they are not waiting for expansion, they are talking about bringing back the Atlanta Thrashers franchise from Winnipeg. The timing is interesting given the campaign of "Forever Winnipeg", but they would be better poised to pitch for Phoenix.

Tough series against Vegas. I was at both games, but the comeback on Saturday was epic. That tying goal shook the arena. Easily the best fans in the NHL. I'm hoping for a minor rebuild this offseason- trade PLD, Scheif, Pionk- give the younger guys a chance like Lambert and Lucius and do a good assessment of your prospects and AHL Moose and see what you have going into next season. I will be ticked if they don't bring back Namestnikov and Niederreiter. They both deserve new contracts for their play.

BlackDog204
Apr 25, 2023, 7:42 PM
It's interesting timing. My friend in Atlanta told me about a 2 billion dollar pitch for a new sports entertainment district with the plan to bring back an NHL team. The most interesting point is that they are not waiting for expansion, they are talking about bringing back the Atlanta Thrashers franchise from Winnipeg. The timing is interesting given the campaign of "Forever Winnipeg", but they would be better poised to pitch for Phoenix.

lol....uh not they are not. TNSE has no plans on selling the Jets. You may want to tell your friend to cut down on the booze.

esquire
Apr 25, 2023, 7:42 PM

Don't you need a team to be for sale in order to do that?

bomberjet
Apr 25, 2023, 9:00 PM
lol maybe the Coyotes will be brought back to Winnipeg too?

BlackDog204
Apr 25, 2023, 9:11 PM
lol maybe the Coyotes will be brought back to Winnipeg too?

I would love to see the Transcona Cougars battle the Jets.

WinCitySparky
Apr 25, 2023, 9:14 PM
The Jets have been brutally inconsistent since their deep playoff run in 2018(?). I imagine there will be a big remodeling after this season both on and off the ice. At least I definitely hope so. Trade Sheifele.

BlackDog204
Apr 25, 2023, 9:32 PM
The Jets have been brutally inconsistent since their deep playoff run in 2018(?). I imagine there will be a big remodeling after this season both on and off the ice. At least I definitely hope so. Trade Sheifele.

Defends on what happens with Dubois.

Perfetti is going to be a future #1C. We need depth, and If Dubois does not sign, I would try to give Scheifele an extension.

The priority should be to sign Hellebuyck, then PLD.

wags_in_the_peg
Apr 26, 2023, 12:49 PM
Perfetti size scares me, not "built" for playoffs like Lowry & PLD.

and yes we have great fans, the building was shaking on comeback, but let's not kid ourselves, NYR, Toronto, Edmonton all have similar fan experiencing when the team is winning in playoffs.

Go Jets Go, win the next 2 and move on!

TimeFadesAway
Apr 26, 2023, 1:00 PM

Vegas is a far worse team than the season standings would indicate. They only racked up as many points as they did because the West is so terrible this year. If they had to compete in the East, they would have been lucky to scrape their way into the playoffs.

TimeFadesAway
Apr 26, 2023, 1:06 PM
Defends on what happens with Dubois.

Perfetti is going to be a future #1C. We need depth, and If Dubois does not sign, I would try to give Scheifele an extension.

The priority should be to sign Hellebuyck, then PLD.

My only hope with Dubois is that we get something for him this summer. He very clearly does not want to be here and, more games than not, he often mails it in. Monday's game was a great example: he coasted for a large portion of the game, took a lazy tripping penalty that cost us a goal, and was only credited with a goal because Vegas scored on themselves.

Biff
Apr 26, 2023, 1:08 PM
lol....uh not they are not. TNSE has no plans on selling the Jets. You may want to tell your friend to cut down on the booze.

NHL Hockey is so popular in Atlanta now that they are looking to bring in two teams - they will bring back the Flames and the Thrashers.

esquire
Apr 26, 2023, 1:53 PM
My only hope with Dubois is that we get something for him this summer. He very clearly does not want to be here and, more games than not, he often mails it in. Monday's game was a great example: he coasted for a large portion of the game, took a lazy tripping penalty that cost us a goal, and was only credited with a goal because Vegas scored on themselves.

At what point does Dubois' reputation start to weigh him down? This is the second team that he is doing this sort of thing with. Does he just pout until he gets to Montreal? And who is to say that once he gets there, he won't find some other reason to pout and withdraw?

pspeid
Apr 26, 2023, 2:32 PM
At what point does Dubois' reputation start to weigh him down? This is the second team that he is doing this sort of thing with. Does he just pout until he gets to Montreal? And who is to say that once he gets there, he won't find some other reason to pout and withdraw?

Good point.

BlackDog204
Apr 26, 2023, 4:36 PM

This is what I was thinking. His departure from Columbus raised serious questions in regards to his character. I'm beginning to think the Jets would be better off getting rid of him.

I would even be tempted to spite PLD, by sending him to the furthest place away from Montreal (LA or Anaheim). A player is not supposed to dictate where he wants to play.

Jammon
Apr 26, 2023, 5:26 PM
This is what I was thinking. His departure from Columbus raised serious questions in regards to his character. I'm beginning to think the Jets would be better off getting rid of him.

I would even be tempted to spite PLD, by sending him to the furthest place away from Montreal (LA or Anaheim). A player is not supposed to dictate where he wants to play.

Agreed. If I were Chevy, I would put him on the market and let every GM know he's up for grabs. Then, it puts pressure on Montreal to make a solid offer or he goes to another contender. At the end of the day, if PLD gets a good offer for a team other than Montreal- he's going to take that offer, especially if he gets to play with a contender.

Biff
Apr 26, 2023, 7:24 PM

I kind of disagree with this thinking. All players play for the opportunity to reach UFA status. I don't think this has as much to do with him not wanting to play in Winnipeg but rather the opportunity he has been waiting for to play in his home town where he grew up and now lives. I don't begrudge him for that.

I don't want to loose him but, and here I agree with your other point - not so much to screw him, but I would accept the best offer from all over the NHL. I could give two shits if he doesn't want to be traded somewhere else. If Chevy can get a good haul from another team who is willing to take the risk of signing him that is not Montreal, then so be it. We control his rights for one more year.

BlackDog204
Apr 26, 2023, 8:15 PM
It was just announced that Scheifele is done for the series.

esquire
Apr 26, 2023, 8:43 PM
(sad trombone)

I can't say that I expected much in the playoffs from the Jets, and that's exactly what I got.

harls
Apr 26, 2023, 9:27 PM

Upper body injury = dislocated left shoulder.

They are fucked. As much as I enjoyed the Pionk Points in my Pool, I think it's over.

harls
Apr 27, 2023, 12:27 AM
What's all this talk about planning for the crisis..

rH6g0WVIf9A

CoryB
Apr 27, 2023, 2:28 PM

So you mean just for the next game which is tonight, right? :hell:

bomberjet
Apr 27, 2023, 3:10 PM
I think Scheifele was announced as being out for game 5. With limited range of motion in whatever his injury is. Which seems to be his shoulder as was mentioned. But maybe he banged up ribs or something like that.

Either way, they did not say he was done for the series in the way they did with Morrissey.

Apparently Kucherov played with a similar thing in the recent Cup run. And would get nerve blockers before each game so he wasn't in pain. Not ideal..

Hoping to get back to the whiteout on Saturday for Game 6! :rock:

BlackDog204
Apr 28, 2023, 3:55 AM
Jets down 4-0. Scheifele, Morrissey, and Perfetti out. Ehlers playing hurt. No passion. Hellebuyck pedestrian.

Time to make some moves in the off-season. Trade Dubois. He does not want to be here, and we can still get a great return for him. We got to spice things up. Not sure what else happens. We have Connor signed long term.

Wheeler is going to be 37, and his contract expires next year. Ditto for Scheifele. Resign Samberg. Get rid of Stanley. Try to keep Hellebuyck.

The rebuild has officially begun.

WinCitySparky
Apr 28, 2023, 12:47 PM
Wow they fucking sucked on a whole other level last night. Just comical level of terrible. Vegas wasn’t ever spectacular, they just stuck to their game, and Wpg just gave up mentally after that first period goal and never looked back. Massive joke and a teardown had better be on the menu this time, no question.

thebasketballgeek
Apr 28, 2023, 12:47 PM
Yikes Bones with some harsh comments at his presser. I really hope some serious change happens this year and we can start a rebuild. We really should’ve tried to rebuild starting last year, but our expirings should still give us a few first round picks.

Also, one day I wonder if there will be something revealed about the Jets locker room issues through a doc or a follow up in the future.

I also think it’s time to replace Chevy.

pspeid
Apr 28, 2023, 1:30 PM
If there's one glimmer of positive in this, it's that there can be little doubt that changes are needed, and not just tweaks. Imo these have to begin as soon as possible, especially if the Jets want to convince fans and organizations to buy season tickets. I think Winnipeg will support a re-building team if they can see they have some heart and determination, which the current mix seems to lack.

esquire
Apr 28, 2023, 1:55 PM
It is almost sad seeing how the Jets organization is so desperately trying to recreate 2018.

Maybe bring back Matt Hendricks again? That oughta do it. /s

Rip the bandaid off already FFS, this is getting painful.

dmacc
Apr 28, 2023, 1:56 PM
One positive to last nights game was that I got to go to bed at a reasonable hour once it was clear we were going to lose.

esquire
Apr 28, 2023, 1:59 PM
One positive to last nights game was that I got to go to bed at a reasonable hour once it was clear we were going to lose.

I nodded off early in the second when it was 2-0, woke up and it was 4-0, so I went to bed :haha:

Thinking this over some more though, the Jets have basically crossed the line from lovable underachievers into full on tire fire. I guess TNSE saw that coming which is why they have jumped immediately to the hard sell. "Yeah the team's awful, but you still want to be a NHL town, right?" <--- that's the pitch.

The funny thing is Winnipeg isn't a market that demands a contender, I think as with most Canadian markets we want a team with heart that is in the fight. But as evidenced by the remarks of multiple coaches now, this team simply lacks character and heart.

bomberjet
Apr 28, 2023, 2:13 PM
That was painful. There was a glimmer of cinderella hope in that last push. They were actually pressing very well. Until the second goal was called back. It was clear on the live video that Wheeler swatted the puck back.

Anywho, sad they didn't show up until the last ditch effort. Most of them mailed it in all game. Blow it up. Start with Chevy.

thurmas
Apr 28, 2023, 2:34 PM
Team needs more lunch pale guys. Helly has been disappointing he didn't really steal one game this series. This team should focus more on WHL players as it seems keeping guys from Western Canada is easier for the club.

esquire
Apr 28, 2023, 2:38 PM
Team needs more lunch pale guys. Helly has been disappointing he didn't really steal one game this series. This team should focus more on WHL players as it seems keeping guys from Western Canada is easier for the club.

When you look at two of the Jets' biggest name players out of the WHL, Lowry and Morrissey, and what they bring to the team, how could you look at them and think 'nah, what we need are more USNTDP guys from Michigan that have never set foot in Canada before'?

thurmas
Apr 28, 2023, 2:49 PM
Chevy loves the US guys but most dont really enjoy being here and their heart seems questionable compared to guys like Morrissey and Lowry.

CoryB
Apr 28, 2023, 3:54 PM
Look at Vegas with Stone, Howden, Kolesar, Whitecloud and Patrick all being from Manitoba. Stone and Howden even put on a clinic in the Jets home games in the series but those players were effectively playing for the home town crowd.

Good news for Chevy and his love of players well past their prime, Chicago has public said that Winnipeg's Towes is going to be an unrestricted free agent. What are the odds that Chevy signs him to the Jets and tries to sell it to fans as an amazing opportunity.

bomberjet
Apr 28, 2023, 4:48 PM
I'd maybe take Toews for league minimum salary as the 4th line depth guy Chevy will inevitably sign. Otherwise no thanks. He'll probably be injured and miss lots of times anyways.

Sheepish
Apr 28, 2023, 5:34 PM
The Jets were not terrible during most of the series. In fact, they were mostly competitive. But they weren't good enough. Too many give away's. Too many dumb penalties (PLD). Too many missed shots. I am surprised that there wasn't more comment on the Scheif injury. Looked pretty clear that Broisoit tripped him (quite intentionally).
As for our coach - while I understand his frustration, I think his comments about being 'disgusted' are out of bounds. After all, he and his staff have to take some of the responsibility for the team's fall from grace. I think it was classless.

bomberjet
Apr 28, 2023, 5:55 PM
From my perspective it is very clear that some personalities in the room are the issue.

How can they go from a team who were fairly dominant in the first part of the season. To completely shitting the bed for the next half of the season. This is not about coaching or something like that. It is about the players choosing to play how they do.

Yesterdays game, the key individuals choose not to try. Dubois was flaoting around reaching for poke checks out there.

When the team chooses to play, such as they did in game 1, they can dominate. Then they shut it down and coast.

This is very frustrating for the coach and he expressed that yesterday. You could see it on the bench too. You can only press these guys so much. These are professional athletes, it's up to them.

Sheepish
Apr 28, 2023, 6:31 PM
^ I didn't get to see most of the game yesterday. But there are/were times when some of them seemed slow, disinterested, disoriented. They were not playing as a team.
I think what he said...when he said showed very poor judgement. They just lost a series - and the final game was not close. None of them felt good about. Maybe wait a day or two before running all of them over with tractor trailer. And again...coaching staff has to take some responsibility with the way the season and the series went.
Change is clearly in the air.

dmacc
Apr 28, 2023, 6:41 PM
I have no problem with Bones' comments. The players had plenty of opportunities before this series to get themselves back on track. Since January they were simply absent. The coach many times over that time sat players or otherwise tried to ignite them.

This is now the second coach that has not been able to motivate this group of players. It's becoming obvious that the coaching is not the problem but the players. They all deserve to be thrown under the bus, with exception to maybe Ehlers who played very little all year due to injuries and made his series debut last night.

BlackDog204
Apr 28, 2023, 7:21 PM
Look at Vegas with Stone, Howden, Kolesar, Whitecloud and Patrick all being from Manitoba. Stone and Howden even put on a clinic in the Jets home games in the series but those players were effectively playing for the home town crowd..

During the Blackhawks dynasty, they had the highest percentage of Manitobans on their team. Nolan Patrick is never going to play again, since he has bad migraine issues.

Sheepish
Apr 28, 2023, 7:23 PM
Well I sure wouldn't be throwing grenades at Lowery, Appleton, Barron, Morrisey, Neidereiter. Even Pionk - who was thrust into a role that he is not built for deserved some respect. There were many others that played hard and with purpose. It was mostly the 'stars' that under-performed.
So while he is announcing that the VGK players are better, let's be clear - Cassidy is twice the coach that Bowness is. People who live in glass houses etc etc etc.
Unless every player is released/traded, there is no way Bowness can continue after those comments. Just my opinion.

esquire
Apr 28, 2023, 7:27 PM
The thing that is truly baffling about this team is that they do occasionally show flashes of brilliance. This is not some ragtag band of no-hope misfits doomed to coming in last place every season, like the Jeff Reinebold-era Bombers or whatever. They have competed and won with this core right up to this season, which raises expectations and makes it all the more painful when they inevitably fall apart. I don't get it.

craner
Apr 29, 2023, 5:44 PM
Perfetti size scares me, not "built" for playoffs like Lowry & PLD.

and yes we have great fans, the building was shaking on comeback, but let's not kid ourselves, NYR, Toronto, Edmonton all have similar fan experiencing when the team is winning in playoffs.

Go Jets Go, win the next 2 and move on!

Winnipeg takes it to another level in terms of best fans at a game in the NHL (IMO).
BTW - I read the last few pages here and the discussion is very similar to the one being had in Calgary about the Flames.
Cheers brothers - Go Kings !!

thurmas
Apr 29, 2023, 6:32 PM
these season ending interviews with the jets today are very depressing. Wheeler throwing Bowness under the bus. Wheeler still seems to run the dressing room most toxic locker room in NHL by far. Chipman and Chevy just too conservative to make the major changes needed.

The Jabroni
Apr 30, 2023, 2:34 AM
...aaaannnnnd Chevy is staying on as GM come next season.

BlackDog204
Apr 30, 2023, 10:29 AM
On the bright side, the 2022 batch of draft picks are doing well. Brad Lambert is absolutely tearing it up in the WHL playoffs with Seattle.

Rutger McGroarty played well, and help lead Michigan to the NCAA Championship game.

Dom DiVincentiis is playing lights out in the OHL playoffs in net.

Fabian Wagner looked good for Finalnd in World Juniors, and had a good season.

thebasketballgeek
Apr 30, 2023, 7:22 PM
Chevy’s presser was a dumpster fire.

if we run it back next year I might have to go to a Jets game just to throw my jersey on the ice.

thurmas
Apr 30, 2023, 7:27 PM
Chevy’s presser was a dumpster fire.

if we run it back next year I might have to go to a Jets game just to throw my jersey on the ice.

They basically admitted they only care about squeeking into the playoffs as an 8th seed so they can get 2 or 3 playoff home dates so the club breaks even. They will never do a full rebuild for fear of losing even more ticket sales. They are officially jets 1.0 again.

The Jabroni
Apr 30, 2023, 7:38 PM
They basically admitted they only care about squeeking into the playoffs as an 8th seed so they can get 2 or 3 playoff home dates so the club breaks even. They will never do a full rebuild for fear of losing even more ticket sales. They are officially jets 1.0 again.

Of course they won't do a full rebuild because Chevy will be in the helm for at least another year. In their exit interviews, everyone on the team agreed not to do a full rebuild.

At the same time, you have expiring contracts going into next season, 3 big ones being Wheeler, Scheifele, and Hellebuyck. PLD goes into free agency this year, so unless we give him a great offer to re-sign here, PLD wants to go to Montreal. If he doesn't want to be here, we trade him away to Montreal for someone who is equal of value or 1st round draft picks with prospects.

This is going to be a crazy Jets "silly" off season.

That presser was a total dumpster fire though, but mainly because the questions asked by the usual suspect beat reporters were stupid. Mediocrity and lack of trying is such a Winnipeg thing. :koko:

trueviking
Apr 30, 2023, 9:37 PM
Scheifele
Wheeler
Dubois
Neiderider
Dillon
Hellebuyck
DeMelo

All one year left. A full rebuild is in the cards, like it or not. The kids in the pipe are a few years away and all of them are still far from a sure thing.

Helle basically saying he's out of here is the biggest hit. He's the most likely to return actual decent roster players in a trade, so they should probably deal him ASAP.

With only one year left everyone else will return draft picks. There is no chance the Jets get anything close to equal value back, so do your best. Maybe hold until the trade deadline for guys like scheifele and wheeler.

There has been a huge drop in attendance even as a playoff team....even when they were in first they were the second lowest attended team in the league with 1,500 empty seats in by far the smallest arena in the league....I can see why a rebuild with 5 years of not coming close to playoffs scares the crap out of them. It scares the crap out of me. We have demonstrated our lack of willingness to financially support the team when they are decent....imagine when they become ottawa 2.0

trueviking
Apr 30, 2023, 9:46 PM
I dont blame wheeler for throwing bowness under the bus....he lit a dumpster fire to end the season....completely uncalled for....two years in a row Winnipeg looks like clown show at the end of the year....its hard enough to get players to come here, nevermind when it looks like a complete shit show at the end of every year....its hard enough to sell tickets...nevermind when you use the media to air grievances between coach and players....it looks like amateur hour.

WinCitySparky
May 1, 2023, 1:23 AM
I can’t believe Chipman is letting this shit go on, his organization is completely fucked if the Jets fail financially, and the entire chaotic episode that was the end of this season is really bad optics with the attendance numbers being so low as of late.

kylbaz
May 1, 2023, 1:48 AM
I can’t believe Chipman is letting this shit go on, his organization is completely fucked if the Jets fail financially, and the entire chaotic episode that was the end of this season is really bad optics with the attendance numbers being so low as of late.

Pretty silly. I honestly think TN is thinking "We're profiting, so let's just see how long we can keep this going." And I think they're going to regret it.

pegcityboy
May 1, 2023, 2:34 AM
Ok hold on here we have sold out EVERY year but this year, the playoffs sold out quickly , we still averaged over 14,000 on the year and Arena size isnt as important lots of teams in the States reduce ticket prices , and do lots of things to get people in the building, 17000-18000 attendance DOES NOT MEAN that is nearly the equivalent revenue . So hopefully the season ticket corporate wise goes up and the Jets will be fine . Jets made 1.2-1.6 million per playoff game which is huge to the bottom line .

blueandgoldguy
May 1, 2023, 2:58 AM
Scheifele
Wheeler
Dubois
Neiderider
Dillon
Hellebuyck
DeMelo

All one year left. A full rebuild is in the cards, like it or not. The kids in the pipe are a few years away and all of them are still far from a sure thing.

Helle basically saying he's out of here is the biggest hit. He's the most likely to return actual decent roster players in a trade, so they should probably deal him ASAP.

With only one year left everyone else will return draft picks. There is no chance the Jets get anything close to equal value back, so do your best. Maybe hold until the trade deadline for guys like scheifele and wheeler.

There has been a huge drop in attendance even as a playoff team....even when they were in first they were the second lowest attended team in the league with 1,500 empty seats in by far the smallest arena in the league....I can see why a rebuild with 5 years of not coming close to playoffs scares the crap out of them. It scares the crap out of me. We have demonstrated our lack of willingness to financially support the team when they are decent....imagine when they become ottawa 2.0

If only 15% of season ticket account holders are businesses, it appears that the corporate community as a whole is not doing their part to secure the viability of the Jets in Winnipeg.

Chipman threw down the gauntlet to the business community at that luncheon last week. Are there enough businesses willing to fork out money to bring that percentage up to a more reasonable 35-40% and sell out the 13,500 season tickets once again?

esquire
May 1, 2023, 3:28 AM

If the team wasn't such a dysfunctional mess people would be more willing to open their wallets. This team has been spinning its wheels and going nowhere pretty well since things went off the rails somewhere during the 2018-19 season. I think people knew the first place team of early in the season was a mirage, even if they didn't want to admit it.

I don't get why TNSE is so committed to letting the current crew go down with the ship instead of cleaning house. The constant dysfunctional mediocrity is even worse and more painful than an actual rebuild. Yeah the fans in Edmonton suffered but look what they have to show for it. We will suffer and have nothing to show for it but a bunch of first round flameouts.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 4:04 AM
Ok hold on here we have sold out EVERY year but this year, the playoffs sold out quickly , we still averaged over 14,000 on the year and Arena size isnt as important lots of teams in the States reduce ticket prices , and do lots of things to get people in the building, 17000-18000 attendance DOES NOT MEAN that is nearly the equivalent revenue . So hopefully the season ticket corporate wise goes up and the Jets will be fine . Jets made 1.2-1.6 million per playoff game which is huge to the bottom line .
Our sellout streak ended in the fall of 2019.

Arena capacity IS important, despite the narrative TNSE have repeated for years. If Chipman knew the Jets would come back, there is no way he does not put in at least 17,500 seats.

We have to sell out the arena, or come very close (14,500+). If the business community does not step up to the plate, and purchase Jets tickets. the team will lose money. I guarantee in less than 10 years, we will be hearing calls by Jets wonership that they city will need an 18,000 seat arena to replace the current arena. This has occurred in Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa.

Calgary was threatening to move in the 90s (a decade after the Saddledome was constructed), which was renovated in 1994. Edmonton was doing the same by the mid 90s with the 20 year Northlands Coliseum, when it was renovated in the 90s, and eventually replaced after 40 years. Ottawa was even worse, making the horrible decision to built the arena at the Western edge of the city in 1996. They are finally replacing the arena near downtown.

Winnipeg will be building a new arena for the Jets no later than 2043.

rrskylar
May 1, 2023, 5:11 AM
I dont blame wheeler for throwing bowness under the bus....he lit a dumpster fire to end the season....completely uncalled for....two years in a row Winnipeg looks like clown show at the end of the year....its hard enough to get players to come here, nevermind when it looks like a complete shit show at the end of every year....its hard enough to sell tickets...nevermind when you use the media to air grievances between coach and players....it looks like amateur hour.

Didn’t really hear any Jets say we could have been better, we could have worked harder… polar opposite of what the Minnesota Wild players said after their series loss to Dallas!

Vindictive and pouty Wheeler never got over Bowness stripping him of the captains C and grabbed his chance for a snarky rebuttal of Bowness’s post game, post series honest, truthful tirade! Wheeler once again came across as the crybaby he is, guy was never a leader!

The sooner Wheeler is off the team the better, guy isn’t a winner!

Three lousy playoff series wins in 12 years and Chipman is perfectly happy keeping the dithering Chevy around FFS, the same Chevy who gave away Eyssimont for nothing they guy who was Tampa’s player of the game in a win vs. Toronto and gave away a promising D man in Kovacevic who played all games this past season for Montreal! Terrible asset management!

Sheepish
May 1, 2023, 11:52 AM
Why shouldn't the players defend themselves? What Bowness did/said was just wrong. The team had a tough season and tough playoff. Sure they had lapses and made more stupid mistakes than they should...and they paid for it in the end. But I didn't hear Bowness take any responsibility. First words out of his mouth were that he was disgusted with his players. That is not what a leader says.

Finally, while we wring ours hands and bitch and moan, what do you think is going on in Boston and Denver today? Got to be some real disappointment there!

CoryB
May 1, 2023, 1:19 PM
Arena capacity IS important, despite the narrative TNSE have repeated for years. If Chipman knew the Jets would come back, there is no way he does not put in at least 17,500 seats.

When the downtown arena was being built Chipman needed government money to make it happen and in return they required it be built at the current site. It is the limitations of the current site that did things like eliminating the concourse for the 200 level the limiting the overall number of seats. It wasn't that Chipman didn't have hopes of the NHL returning, actually just the opposite as the arena was excessively built for the events it would host when it first opened.

Three lousy playoff series wins in 12 years and Chipman is perfectly happy keeping the dithering Chevy around FFS, the same Chevy who gave away Eyssimont for nothing they guy who was Tampa’s player of the game in a win vs. Toronto and gave away a promising D man in Kovacevic who played all games this past season for Montreal! Terrible asset management!

Add in giving away a first round pick for nothing in return (Roslovic), Chevy's love of effectively retired players (watch for the Jonathan Towers contract this off season), his inability to properly manage the coaching staff and his mismanagement of the salary cap (overspending on forwards leaving a lack of funds for D).

Ozabald
May 1, 2023, 1:49 PM
Didn’t really hear any Jets say we could have been better, we could have worked harder… polar opposite of what the Minnesota Wild players said after their series loss to Dallas!

Vindictive and pouty Wheeler never got over Bowness stripping him of the captains C and grabbed his chance for a snarky rebuttal of Bowness’s post game, post series honest, truthful tirade! Wheeler once again came across as the crybaby he is, guy was never a leader!

The sooner Wheeler is off the team the better, guy isn’t a winner!

Florida coming back from a 3-1 series deficit to knock off the Bruins is an example of a team with push back; same with the Kraken knocking off Colorado.

Ozabald
May 1, 2023, 1:51 PM
Why shouldn't the players defend themselves? What Bowness did/said was just wrong. The team had a tough season and tough playoff. Sure they had lapses and made more stupid mistakes than they should...and they paid for it in the end. But I didn't hear Bowness take any responsibility. First words out of his mouth were that he was disgusted with his players. That is not what a leader says.

Finally, while we wring ours hands and bitch and moan, what do you think is going on in Boston and Denver today? Got to be some real disappointment there!

What is going on in Boston and Denver today is the result of two teams with push back; Florida and Seattle. Compare their efforts to that of the Jets.

dmacc
May 1, 2023, 1:52 PM
Scheifele
Wheeler
Dubois
Neiderider
Dillon
Hellebuyck
DeMelo

Don't forget Mullet Arena.

Bones was 100% in the right in calling out the team. Wheeler even admitted Bones called them out behind closed doors during the second intermission of their last game. They obviously didn't receive it and he called it out for what it was. I've never seen such a lack of effort in a playoff game as I did in that second period.

I think a retool is possible. Sheif and Dubois would fetch a huge return and could open the door for others to fill some roles. Chevy has shown an ability to make player for player trades as he did with Kane and Laine. Both of which didn't exactly make us better but its not like the exiting players had great success in the years following either. If we could get 2 top 6 players for Sheif and Dubois then I could go into next year with some excitement.

Sheepish
May 1, 2023, 1:59 PM
^ I meant...what are the fans and players saying in those cities? Two top tier teams (one past champs, the other had the best record in NHL history and the heir apparent). Both first round losers.
My theory on the Jets...they fought back at the end of the season, playing some of their best hockey. They win game one, absolutely playing their best hockey. They play great in the first period of Game 2 and then things turn around - VGK figure things out (well coached!). Game 3, after a terrible start they fight back showing real character, and lose in 2OT. My guess, with two bad injuries, they ran out of gas - mentally and physically. That's hockey.

esquire
May 1, 2023, 2:24 PM
^ I meant...what are the fans and players saying in those cities? Two top tier teams (one past champs, the other had the best record in NHL history and the heir apparent). Both first round losers.
My theory on the Jets...they fought back at the end of the season, playing some of their best hockey. They win game one, absolutely playing their best hockey. They play great in the first period of Game 2 and then things turn around - VGK figure things out (well coached!). Game 3, after a terrible start they fight back showing real character, and lose in 2OT. My guess, with two bad injuries, they ran out of gas - mentally and physically. That's hockey.

Someone said it's like Jets 1.0 all over again and I couldn't agree more. This season was like the Jets I remember from the late 80s and into the 90s. Struggle through the regular season, then mount an all out playoff push to steal the last spot. Get a date with the first place team in the first round... if you're lucky. Win a game or two to get everyone's hopes up, and then inevitably end up losing the series. Cue the grumbling and disenchantment from everyone... players, coaches, management, fans, media.

Sheepish
May 1, 2023, 3:17 PM
^ You aren't recalling the years we had some very strong teams and met the Oilers and the Gretzky juggernaut. Particularly the year I think we were up 3-1 in Ollers came back to win.
The current Jet's for the past few seasons have been largely competitive and entertaining...even dominant at times.
I think the real turning point was the Scheif penalty at the end of the Montreal game 1. Scheif and the team never seemed to quite recover from that moment.
As for what happened after the all star break this year is puzzling to say the least - and is as much of coaching and management issue as it is the players.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 8:06 PM
When the downtown arena was being built Chipman needed government money to make it happen and in return they required it be built at the current site. It is the limitations of the current site that did things like eliminating the concourse for the 200 level the limiting the overall number of seats. It wasn't that Chipman didn't have hopes of the NHL returning, actually just the opposite as the arena was excessively built for the events it would host when it first opened.

In 2001, Chipman originally was going to construct an arena with a capacity for 11,500 seats for hockey, primarily for the Moose. The government told him that he needed to have a capacity of a minimum of 15,000 seats. So TNSE built it for almost 15,000 even. At the time, it was not believed that the Jets were ever coming back.

I still am of the opinion that if TNSE had known that the Jets would have returned, he would have built it larger (17,500+). They may have had to close off Hargrave Street to do so.

Add in giving away a first round pick for nothing in return (Roslovic)

The 2015 1st round pick (Roslovic) was acquired when the Jets traded Kane to Buffalo. The trade was as follows:

To Buffalo:

Evander Kane
Zach Bogosian
Jason Kasdorf (goaltending prospect)

To Winnipeg:

Drew Stafford
Tyler Myers
Brendan Lemieux
Joel Armia
2015 1st round pick (Jack Roslovic)

In early 2021, Roslovic was traded with Patrik Laine to Columbus, in exchange for Pierre-Luc Dublois. Considering Laine and Roslovic wanted out, it turned out well for us, since Laine has not done anything remarkable in Columbus.

Are you sure you are not thinking about someone else?

Chevy's love of effectively retired players (watch for the Jonathan Towers contract this off season), his inability to properly manage the coaching staff and his mismanagement of the salary cap (overspending on forwards leaving a lack of funds for D).

When has Chevy ever acquired a player that is nearing or "effectively" retired?

There is no credible evidence that Chevy is interested in Jonathan Toews.

Chevy has not mismanaged the salary cap.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 8:18 PM
Someone said it's like Jets 1.0 all over again and I couldn't agree more. This season was like the Jets I remember from the late 80s and into the 90s. Struggle through the regular season, then mount an all out playoff push to steal the last spot. Get a date with the first place team in the first round... if you're lucky. Win a game or two to get everyone's hopes up, and then inevitably end up losing the series. Cue the grumbling and disenchantment from everyone... players, coaches, management, fans, media.

The Winnipeg Jets today are better than the 1.0 version of the Winnipeg Jets, even when we factor in loser points. From 1979-96, it was far easier to get into the playoffs than it is today. Aside from 1984-85, 86-87, and 89-90, the Jets would have never made the playoffs in today's NHL other than maybe 3 years.

The only year I can recall the Jets battling for the final playoff spot, was 1991-92 vs Calgary and 1995-96 when they finished in 8th place. All other years the Jets made the playoffs, they had clinched well before the season ended, usually since the last place team was so horrible. There were also years the Jets were in a playoff spot, only to lose out to the Canucks (1990-91).

During the Jets 1.0 lifespan, there was no time that the Jets were expected to beat a team that has a superior record, but fell short. We beat the Flames twice in the 80s, but we were never expected to give the Oilers or Canucks a run. We did go up 3-1 against the Oilers in 1990 and the Canucks in 1992, but both of those teams were better than the Jets.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 8:29 PM
^ You aren't recalling the years we had some very strong teams and met the Oilers and the Gretzky juggernaut. Particularly the year I think we were up 3-1 in Ollers came back to win.
I

The Jets never really had "very strong teams." The best season was 1984-85, and that team did incredibly well. However, even in 1986-87, they finished in 3rd, well behind the Oilers and Flames. In 1989-90, we only finished 5 points above 0.500%

If the Jets had been allowed to remain in the Norris Division, we could have made the Conference Finals, but put us in any other division, we were never going to the third round.

thurmas
May 1, 2023, 8:34 PM
Jets 1.0 problem was never drafting a goalie. Had they gotten a local guy like Bill ranford they likely would have won the cup in 1990. They had Patrick Roy available in the 1984 and never bothered who did they grab instead think was Andrew Mcbain. Similar issue with Chevy is he over comitts to forwards and does very little to develop the defense.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 10:05 PM
Jets 1.0 problem was never drafting a goalie. Had they gotten a local guy like Bill ranford they likely would have won the cup in 1990. They had Patrick Roy available in the 1984 and never bothered who did they grab instead think was Andrew Mcbain. Similar issue with Chevy is he over comitts to forwards and does very little to develop the defense.

McBain and Roy were drafted in different seasons.

Jets did have some adequate goalies.

Daniel Berthiaume was a potential star goalie. He played his first game with the Jets at age 20. By age 21, he had become the Jets starting goalie. Unfortunately, Berthiaume had off-ice problems, arriving for training camp in 1988, overweight and not motivated. He told a young fan to "fuck off" and was traded a week later to Minnesota in early 1990.

Bob Essensa was another potential star goalie. Drafted in 1983, Essensa would begin play in 1988-89, after four years of college hockey. Essensa was actually runner-up for the Vezina Trophy in 1991-92. Since he was in a contract year, GM Mike Smith decided to bench Essensa in the playoffs that season, in favor of Rick Tabaracci. Goalie Bob was never the same.

The Jets finally struck gold in the 1992 draft, with 9th round pick Nikolai Khabiboulin. Khabi would debut during the 1994-95 season, and emerge as a star during the 1995-96 season. However, we would never see what he could ahve done for the Jets, as they moved to Arizona before he really started to shine a few years later.

Goalies are very hard to judge, especially during the 80s. We would not have won the Cup with Bill Ranford. Edmonton had Hart Trophy winner Mark Messier, and a much more talented team. Nobody knew in 1984 that Patrick Roy would become one of the best goalies in the history of the NHL. Look at some of the 1st round picks for goalies. Rick DiPietro went #1 overall, and we know how that turned out. Al Montoya was picked #6 overall, but he was never more than a backup. Hellebuyck was not even drafted in his eligibility season (2011), and it was just a fluke that the Jets even selected him, as the Jets scout was actually in the NAHL analysing the opposing goalie, and reported to to Jets management how impressed he was with Hellebuyck.

PS...how does Chevy not develop defensemen? Trouba, Morrissey, Stanley, and Heinola, are all 1st round picks. Chiarot, Poolman, Kovacevic, and Samberg were also developed by the Jets.

thurmas
May 1, 2023, 10:27 PM
Jets did have some adequate goalies.

Daniel Berthiaume was a potential star goalie. He played his first game with the Jets at age 20. By age 21, he had become the Jets starting goalie. Unfortunately, Berthiaume had off-ice problems, arriving for training camp in 1988, overweight and not motivated. He told a young fan to "fuck off" and was traded a week later to Minnesota in early 1990.

Bob Essensa was another potential star goalie. Drafted in 1983, Essensa would begin play in 1988-89, after four years of college hockey. Essensa was actually runner-up for the Vezina Trophy in 1991-92. Since he was in a contract year, GM Mike Smith decided to bench Essensa in the playoffs that season, in favor of Rick Tabaracci. Goalie Bob was never the same.

The Jets finally struck gold in the 1992 draft, with 9th round pick Nikolai Khabiboulin. Khabi would debut during the 1994-95 season, and emerge as a star during the 1995-96 season. However, we would never see what he could ahve done for the Jets, as they moved to Arizona before he really started to shine a few years later.

Goalies are very hard to judge, especially during the 80s. We would not have won the Cup with Bill Ranford. Edmonton had Hart Trophy winner Mark Messier, and a much more talented team. Nobody knew in 1984 that Patrick Roy would become one of the best goalies in the history of the NHL. Look at some of the 1st round picks for goalies. Rick DiPietro went #1 overall, and we know how that turned out. Al Montoya was picked #6 overall, but he was never more than a backup. Hellebuyck was not even drafted in his eligibility season (2011), and it was just a fluke that the Jets even selected him, as the Jets scout was actually in the NAHL analysing the opposing goalie, and reported to to Jets management how impressed he was with Hellebuyck.

PS...how does Chevy not develop defensemen? Trouba, Morrissey, Stanley, Heinola, and Lambert are all 1st round picks. Chiarot and Samberg were also developed by the Jets.

? Bill Ranford won the conn smythe that year and jets and oilers were only 5 points apart in the standings in 1990. I mis spoke meant more in contracts chevy put way too much into keeping the forwards on the team and not enough for the d.

BlackDog204
May 1, 2023, 11:11 PM
? Bill Ranford won the conn smythe that year and jets and oilers were only 5 points apart in the standings in 1990. I mis spoke meant more in contracts chevy put way too much into keeping the forwards on the team and not enough for the d.

The Jets would have won that series, if Glenn Anderson had not deliberately knocked Essensa out in game 4. I was at that game. The Jets were up 3-1. If Essensa played the full series, the Jets would have advanced to Round 2. Additionally, Ranford was not great in that series. He had a 0.899% and was hardly stealing the Oilers games. It was not until the alter rounds Ranford performed better.

However, my point stands. The Oilers were simply a better team than the Jets. They may have misjudged the team, and in their credit, if the Jets had the breaks in games 5 and 6, they would have knocked them out. However, even if the Jets had Ranford, they probably would ahve been defeated by the Kings in Round 2, and assuming they go to the Cup, they were far outclassed by the Bruins.

esquire
May 5, 2023, 2:57 PM
I know this was already discussed to some extent, but TNSE's letter to Jets fans yesterday alluded to planned $13 million renovations to the CLC north concourse, as well as improved service offerings (not sure what that means exactly) and improved wifi. I don't know if that also includes the suite modifications that Biff mentioned recently?

It seems like TNSE has been improving and upgrading the arena constantly since about 2010, when it made the first major modification in anticipation of the NHL's return, adding a level to the press boxes. If you added it all up, the total costs would have to be well up into the tens of millions of dollars over the last 13 years. Which makes sense, because the arena feels much different now than it did when it opened. The interiors have improved significantly in recent years.

wags_in_the_peg
May 5, 2023, 4:11 PM
the changing of the concourse (adding the blue lights effects) was a huge change!

esquire
May 5, 2023, 4:15 PM
the changing of the concourse (adding the blue lights effects) was a huge change!

That was probably the best change, along with adding the lounges in the upper level. Getting rid of the Tim's on the lower bowl concourse and replacing it with a bar was also a good move.

I'm not sure that there's much low hanging fruit left, especially now that the Moxie's/Exchange Bar and Grill spaces are getting redone. I always thought the atrium wasn't quite as nice as it could be, that's something that could use a little attention.

bomberjet
May 5, 2023, 4:42 PM
The atrium may be limited due to the skywalk thing. It is boring and just has a couple wheeled vendors. I walk right by on game days.

blueandgoldguy
May 6, 2023, 8:22 PM
If the demand warrants it, they could have 2 levels of of skyboxes/loges above and below the cross beams on the west side of the arena that mirrors the press box on the east side.

I seem to recall that when they constructed the lower level of the pressbox in 2010 which hung underneath the the original pressbox the city and the team split the cost which was $2 million or so.

thurmas
May 6, 2023, 9:52 PM
Hearing rumblings Jets might switch to their WHA alternates as their new full time home unis as sportschek is reducing the current unis 50% off. Rumor coming from the guy who predicted the sharks unis change.

esquire
May 6, 2023, 10:26 PM
Hearing rumblings Jets might switch to their WHA alternates as their new full time home unis as sportschek is reducing the current unis 50% off. Rumor coming from the guy who predicted the sharks unis change.

I wonder if the NHL planning to change suppliers for jerseys has anything to do with it? I'd expect a lot of sales on Adidas stock before they change over to Fanatics.

BlackDog204
May 7, 2023, 6:10 AM
I know this was already discussed to some extent, but TNSE's letter to Jets fans yesterday alluded to planned $13 million renovations to the CLC north concourse, as well as improved service offerings (not sure what that means exactly) and improved wifi. I don't know if that also includes the suite modifications that Biff mentioned recently?

It seems like TNSE has been improving and upgrading the arena constantly since about 2010, when it made the first major modification in anticipation of the NHL's return, adding a level to the press boxes. If you added it all up, the total costs would have to be well up into the tens of millions of dollars over the last 13 years. Which makes sense, because the arena feels much different now than it did when it opened. The interiors have improved significantly in recent years.

That is because they screwed up in 2004, by building the arena too small. I recall people actually believing the false narrative that building the arena at 15,000 seats was a "good thing" as the extra seats "would not generate as much revenue, since they would be the cheap seats" and "it will increase demand."

What rubbish. TNSE should have built the arena larger, possibly shutting down Hargrave, and the Donald Street sidewalk. It really needed to be at 17,000 seats at an absolute minimum. Maybe when the Jets replace the arena in 20 years they will get it right, and build an 18,000 seater.

blueandgoldguy
May 7, 2023, 7:32 PM
Building a bigger arena would have cost more money. Who would have paid for the extra steel and concrete and all the other materials?

Let's say they built the arena a whopping 20 - 30 feet wider. It would still feel just as crowded as it does now with an extra 2,000 or so seats.

thurmas
May 7, 2023, 11:35 PM
Nhl arena sizes are decreasing these days 18000 is way too big for Winnipeg or even most nhl markets. Our arena is roughly right size for the market and if demand warrants it can build some suites or lounge seats on the opposite side up top across from the press box.

esquire
May 8, 2023, 1:51 AM
That is because they screwed up in 2004, by building the arena too small. I recall people actually believing the false narrative that building the arena at 15,000 seats was a "good thing" as the extra seats "would not generate as much revenue, since they would be the cheap seats" and "it will increase demand."

What rubbish. TNSE should have built the arena larger, possibly shutting down Hargrave, and the Donald Street sidewalk. It really needed to be at 17,000 seats at an absolute minimum. Maybe when the Jets replace the arena in 20 years they will get it right, and build an 18,000 seater.

TNSE doesn't seem fussed at all about the 2,500 seat gap between CLC and the typical NHL arena, so I don't know why we should be...

BlackDog204
May 8, 2023, 2:02 AM
Nhl arena sizes are decreasing these days 18000 is way too big for Winnipeg or even most nhl markets. Our arena is roughly right size for the market and if demand warrants it can build some suites or lounge seats on the opposite side up top across from the press box.

NHL arena sizes are actually increasing. In the last 30 years, the new arenas in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Edmonton all have arena capacities at over 18,000. TNSE has brainwashed you, and pushed the false narrative that 15,000 seats is the "way to go."

My question is if this were true, why do they keep renovating the CLC every year, and trying to jam more seats into the building? What other NHL city has built a hockey specific arena under 17,000 seats in the last 40 years, aside from Winnipeg?

esquire
May 8, 2023, 2:06 AM
NHL arena sizes are actually increasing. In the last 30 years, the new arenas in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, and Edmonton all have arena capacities at over 18,000. TNSE has brainwashed you, and pushed the false narrative that 15,000 seats is the "way to go."

My question is if this were true, why do they keep renovating the CLC every year, and trying to jam more seats into the building? What other NHL city has built a hockey specific arena under 17,000 seats in the last 40 years?

I admire your desire to will a larger arena into existence, but I just don't see it happening. If CLC makes sense for TNSE's business, then they don't need to "brainwash" anyone. It either works or it doesn't and TNSE seems content with it.

Smaller, targeted renovations let TNSE find new revenue sources from within the existing building. You can spend a few million on upgrades here and there that provide the desired effect vs. trying to find $600 million for a totally new building.

Someone else mentioned it, and this totally reminds me of the conversations with people 15 years ago saying that the NHL would never work in Winnipeg for a variety of reasons, including the arena. Yet here we are, over a decade into the existence of the Jets.

BlackDog204
May 8, 2023, 2:54 AM
I admire your desire to will a larger arena into existence, but I just don't see it happening. If CLC makes sense for TNSE's business, then they don't need to "brainwash" anyone. It either works or it doesn't and TNSE seems content with it.

The Jets will eventually have to build a new arena by the mid 2040's. It's still a long way away, but the average lifespan of a professional sports arena seems to be around 40 years there days.

The old arena lasted about 50 years, but Barry Shankerow had been saying that the city needed a new arena beginning in the mid 80s, shortly after it turned 30, and a new arena was nearly build (had the Jets not relocated) in 1996.

Arenas do not necessarily need to cost in the neighbourhood of $600 million. The arena in Edmonton only came into that price range, as the arena was the anchor to rebuild the Ice District of Edmonton. The CLC actually came in at $135 million, which is remarkably cheap by today's standards. TNSE has probably put in at least $50-75 million in upgrades since the Jets returned.

BlackDog204
May 8, 2023, 2:59 AM
At any rate, the Jets really need to rebuild next season. I doubt it will happen, but one can only hope. Personally, I would trade PLD, as he is not going to sign here long term. I would possibly either buy out Wheeler's contract, or trade him with salary retention, as he obviously has no respect for Bowness, throwing him under the bus at the presser.

Scheifele seems to not want to be here either, and the time to trade him was 2022, but now we won't get as good of a return so who knows. Bringing in young prospects, or 1st round draft picks that we can develop over the next 3-4 years would ideally be the way to go, since the Jets are limited on who we can trade for.

BlackDog204
May 8, 2023, 8:30 AM
Building a bigger arena would have cost more money. Who would have paid for the extra steel and concrete and all the other materials?

Let's say they built the arena a whopping 20 - 30 feet wider. It would still feel just as crowded as it does now with an extra 2,000 or so seats.

Building the arena up to NHL standards the first time around, would have saved the Jets money in the long run. 17,000 seats, a second ring of luxury boxes, and perhaps more club seating would have been ideal.

They have been doing renovations on a perpetual basis for over a decade, just to meet minimum NHL standards.

cheswick
May 8, 2023, 3:11 PM
Building the arena up to NHL standards the first time around, would have saved the Jets money in the long run. 17,000 seats, a second ring of luxury boxes, and perhaps more club seating would have been ideal.

They have been doing renovations on a perpetual basis for over a decade, just to meet minimum NHL standards.

Pretty sure the perpetual renovations are based on the funding they receive from the provincial government and zero to do with meeting minimum NHL standards. The requirements from the NHL were the additional press boxes, and upgrades regarding, lighting, ice system and boards. They were all completed prior to the first season.