PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

BrianSac
Mar 16, 2007, 6:21 AM
Ailene Voisin: What can visitors do in their free time? A lot
By Ailene Voisin - Bee Sports Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C4

Print | E-Mail | Comments (16)

A newspaper colleague called the other day seeking advice. That was his first mistake. But then he got me thinking. Another mistake.

He wanted to know what someone from Seattle should do for fun when not scribbling notes about the future (or wannabe) NBA stars competing this week in the NCAA Tournament at Arco Arena, so I obliged.

The list of activities is endless, I lied.

The city is all grown up. I lied again.

But in an ongoing effort to further my reputation as a gracious, informative and parochial hostess of the city I truly cherish, I ripped off a few fast facts about our underrated and swiftly maturing metropolis, among them these: According to the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau, Sacramento is the capital of California, boasts an area population of approximately 2 million, offers hundreds of boutique shops, nine traditional shopping malls and dozens of new downtown restaurants, and, of equal significance, is within 90 miles of San Francisco and 100 miles of Lake Tahoe.

Arco is also the home of the Kings, of course, but enough about the NBA. My colleague is exposed to enough bad basketball and arena horror stories. He came here looking for light and fluffy and fun, provided he was enlightened accordingly.

"I covered the Sonics from 1989 to '96 and again in 2001," Jim Moore of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer said, "but all I remember is Old Sac and the Hyatt Regency, and also that being from the Northwest, the weather was nice. And the only bar I knew was the lounge at the hotel."

Was there another bar in town back then?

But enough of the old jokes. On to the fun stuff.

• The dive bars. I don't do dive bars, but a friend in The Bee sports department does them all, and she recommends venturing off J Street. She predicts the green beer will be flowing freely on St. Patrick's Day. Sacramento, she suggests, is nothing if not diverse.

• The American River bicycle trail is a gem, but leave the jewels at the hotel. Muggings intimidate visitors.

• Tour Old Sac. If you can find Sac's favorite little hideaway -- and former civic leaders did a masterful job concealing the charming riverfront behind blocks of freeways, parking lots and cement walls -- the experience can be delightful. The California State Railroad Museum is my 11-year-old nephew's favorite.

• Check out the wineries in the Sierra foothills. While the more commercial vineyards in Napa and Sonoma get most of the pub, the mom-and-pop operations in Amador County pour a robust zinfandel. Plus, the winding streets are less crowded, the gold rush towns adorable, the scenery often spectacular and the driving distance a mere 45 minutes.

• Walk the dog. Contrary to inferences that might have been drawn from Ron Artest's recent dog issues, we not only feed our pets (or, in this case, pay someone responsible to do so during our absences), the midtown and downtown neighborhoods offer a smorgasbord of green spaces and leafy lawns. This will be never be France; dogs still are not permitted in indoor restaurants. But Sac certainly qualifies as a pet-friendly place. Just clean up the sidewalk afterward.

• Sneak off to San Francisco for a day. Then again, why pay those gas prices when you can sit in your hotel and read all about the latest Bay Area sex scandal in The Bee? And check the Web site for updates. I'm thinking here, Gavin Newsom's girlfriend should probably find a more subtle means of standing by her man. Trashing the mayor's married ex-paramour can't be helping those poll numbers.

• Grab a map and stroll off in pursuit of Arnold. The governor and his wife, Maria Shriver, frequent many of the local eateries and have been known to linger for hours. That's another little-known fact about Sac. Around here, we push the more natural sustenance on our bodybuilders.

• Catch the Kings on the television. Artest is always interesting and, when he moves the ball, downright entertaining. Same for his teammates. Hmmmmm. I wonder if David Stern would consider reducing the 24-second clock to, say, 15 seconds?

If all else fails and you're still bored, please leave. Please leave after the tournament anyway. We have enough traffic problems, clogged freeways and bad air. We're almost all grown up, remember.

What do all ya all think of Voisin's article?

downtownserg89
Mar 16, 2007, 6:48 AM
dang. i had no idea sac had a double decker sample. i'm jealous. never in my life have i been in one. it's one of my life goals.

and oh snaps, that capitol grand tower is huge! i hope it gets built. it will definitely take sacramento past the puberty stage. i'd say with that building and the towers on capitol mall, sac would be the equivilent of a sophomore in college!

..okay enough of my random comparisons.

Phillip
Mar 16, 2007, 6:59 AM
I don't get it Phillip? :shrug:If you're asking why posted to a construction thread...well there's a sign in front that says "Closed for EXTREME Renovation". Does that count?

Probably I just wanted an excuse to post a pic. I'm still marvelling that I can do it.

The Capitol Grand looks like a fine tower.

doriankage
Mar 16, 2007, 4:07 PM
Back in the early '80s, RT test drove a true double decker bus from the UK on some routes for about a week or so. It was a pretty spiffy looking bus, not old-timey like what you see in London but rather like this one, except bright lemony yellow:

http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/nx/mc/library/mc_images/twm_bus103_preview.jpg

My best friend and I both skipped school that day to catch that bus, just for the novelty of it. It was a miserable rainy winter day but that bus ride was cool. I think it was the 38 line. The double-decker was way cool, but we both knew there was no way that RT was going to purchase any of them for their fleet.

I remember seeing the double decker bus in Sac back in the 80's on Watt Ave. once. I thouht they were so cool.
I've been to London a few times and loved riding them. I though they were so cool. However within the last two years, the London Double-deckers are no more. They got rid of them, if I remember right, for economic reasons. I think they have a couple for tourists, but for general transport, no more.
You can still ride the doubles in Hong Kong though which I found more fun than Londons.
Would double deckers have worked in Sac? Maybe in the more dense urban core, but not in the burbs.

sugit
Mar 16, 2007, 4:18 PM

I still can't believe they actually pay her to write. This article doesn't help my opinion of her. You would someone that has lived here for a bit of time would have a clue.

joninsac
Mar 16, 2007, 4:41 PM

This drivel is what happens when Voison can't write her 50,000th "Fire Rick Adelman" article.

SacRising
Mar 16, 2007, 5:15 PM
This drivel is what happens when Voison can't write her 50,000th "Fire Rick Adelman" article.

:offtopic:
Out of left field on this one, but Voisin was, I can hardly say it without vomiting in my mouth, intimate with Coach T (tom abatamarco), according to the local sports media rumor mill. And that whil Adelman was coaching, they were conspiring to get Coach T the Kings job because he was already in good with the Maloof mafia. I swear, one day I will get back on topic, but once again, I couldn't resist.

brandon12
Mar 16, 2007, 8:28 PM
^that's quite the scandalous piece of gossip. Unfortunately, I don't buy it. Isn't Abatemarco an assistant with the Monarchs? That puts him on par with the head coach at ARC or an assistant at Sac St. The Maloofs wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on that hire even if they wanted to.

SacRising
Mar 16, 2007, 10:15 PM
^that's quite the scandalous piece of gossip. Unfortunately, I don't buy it. Isn't Abatemarco an assistant with the Monarchs? That puts him on par with the head coach at ARC or an assistant at Sac St. The Maloofs wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on that hire even if they wanted to.

I admit it's a bit of a stretch, especially the part about someone sleeping with Voisin :yuck: . And media rumors are as solid as high school gossip, plus, these two aren't exactly Rhodes scholars. Amazing if they thought their devious plan would actually work.

Here's another rumor to ruminate over. Keep your eyes and ears open for a completely revamped Railyards plan. I've heard that the new layout will be a grid, almost matching downtown, no more curved street around the shops and say goodbye to the canal. I have no proof to offer, just rumor and speculation.

brandon12
Mar 17, 2007, 3:00 AM
Your'e funny SacRising!

Im (we're all) interested to know what you've heard re: the railyards. anymore details you can share?

Phillip
Mar 17, 2007, 3:10 AM
Here's another rumor to ruminate over. Keep your eyes and ears open for a completely revamped Railyards plan. I've heard that the new layout will be a grid, almost matching downtown, no more curved street around the shops and say goodbye to the canal. I have no proof to offer, just rumor and speculation.Hmmm. Will the CEO of Best Buy be financing the Railyards too? :cool:

TowerDistrict
Mar 17, 2007, 6:20 PM
Here's another rumor to ruminate over. Keep your eyes and ears open for a completely revamped Railyards plan. I've heard that the new layout will be a grid, almost matching downtown, no more curved street around the shops and say goodbye to the canal. I have no proof to offer, just rumor and speculation.

I saw a show about the history of sacramento streets on KVIE. They stated that the grid orientation and the numbered/lettered streets were all a product of Sacramento's fast growth. Meaning that there wasn't enough time to layout grand boulevards or aethestically attractive curving streets. There also wasn't enough time to bicker about street names.

I don't think that's true today.

The canal i can get, because it may prove too costly or just a logistical nightmare. But I don't really understand a redesign of the curving streets like the 5th Street Emporium. Seems like a late response, especially considering that 5th Street is in the first phase of the construction. Also the 5th Street curve made sense because of the transition between downtown's north-south and east-west streets, and the railyard shops' 45° orientation.

now I'm curious.....

coincidentally the Railyards website (http://www.sacramentorailyards.com/) has been down for at least a couple days.

fatchocolatecow
Mar 17, 2007, 7:01 PM
:previous:
That rumor has some legs... stay tuned.

SacRising
Mar 17, 2007, 7:46 PM
The canal i can get, because it may prove too costly or just a logistical nightmare. But I don't really understand a redesign of the curving streets like the 5th Street Emporium. Seems like a late response, especially considering that 5th Street is in the first phase of the construction. Also the 5th Street curve made sense because of the transition between downtown's north-south and east-west streets, and the railyard shops' 45° orientation.

now I'm curious.....

I really need to stress this is rumor, but I agree it has legs. And if anyone has access or contact with city staff, they may be able to verify. Apparently, the city has been pushing Thomas to reproduce the grid pattern, and Thomas sees the merit in that. The new grid would match the 45° orientation of the shops on the western half, and match the city orientation on the eastern side. I'm guessing there will be some wedge shaped parcels to join the two sides, maybe some flatiron type buildings. I hope this is true b/c a sweeping circular 5th St. just doesn't speak "urban" to me. If it is true, I think it's a much better project. Stay tuned.

TowerDistrict
Mar 17, 2007, 8:20 PM
The new grid would match the 45° orientation of the shops on the western half, and match the city orientation on the eastern side. I'm guessing there will be some wedge shaped parcels to join the two sides, maybe some flatiron type buildings. I hope this is true b/c a sweeping circular 5th St. just doesn't speak "urban" to me. If it is true, I think it's a much better project. Stay tuned.

I agree, and many others on this board were saying the same thing about the 5th street when the plans were first released. it kinda grew on me later, but that's mostly because i could see how they were trying to transition to the shops orientation. i'd rather see a grid pattern if they can make it work. and yeah, the sharp angles may lend itself to some interesting architecture.

sounds intriguing... i'm just glad we're talking about HOW the street will be laid out, opposed to IF the streets will ever be.

downtownserg89
Mar 17, 2007, 9:35 PM
aww, for some reason i was really looking forward to the curvy street! oh well, grid style works too. i just can't wait for the railyards to get completed. i'll be like 32 years old by then! that's scary! hopefully i have kids so they could hang out at the railyards.

ozone
Mar 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
That would just like this city to insist on extending the grid to the railyards. I hope this rumor doesn't have legs because what we need is relief from the grid not more of it. BTW there's lots of great urban places which have curves --though not many in America.

ozone
Mar 18, 2007, 3:43 AM
Architect chosen for Town Center

Zaha Hadid Architects of London has been selected to design a $162 million civic center complex in the future Elk Grove Town Center.
The City Council unanimously endorsed the selection Wednesday night during its regular council meeting, city spokeswoman Christine Brainerd said Thursday.

The vote clears the way for City Manager John Danielson to negotiate a contract with the firm and with subcontractors. The council must then approve the contract.

The 78-acre project site is to include a 20-acre civic center complex and a 50-acre park. It is expected to take most of a decade to design and build.
Zaha Hadid received architecture's top international award, the Pritzker Architecture Prize, in 2004.

Twenty-three architectural firms initially expressed interest in competing for the civic center project. City staff winnowed that list to four firms before making the final recommendation.

BrianSac
Mar 18, 2007, 4:02 AM
This is good news. I look forward to seeing her designs. :)

innov8
Mar 18, 2007, 4:51 AM
Architect chosen for Town Center

Zaha Hadid Architects of London has been selected to design a $162 million civic center complex in the future Elk Grove Town Center.
The City Council unanimously endorsed the selection Wednesday night during its regular council meeting, city spokeswoman Christine Brainerd said Thursday.

The vote clears the way for City Manager John Danielson to negotiate a contract with the firm and with subcontractors. The council must then approve the contract.

The 78-acre project site is to include a 20-acre civic center complex and a 50-acre park. It is expected to take most of a decade to design and build.
Zaha Hadid received architecture's top international award, the Pritzker Architecture Prize, in 2004.

Twenty-three architectural firms initially expressed interest in competing for the civic center project. City staff winnowed that list to four firms before making the final recommendation.

Yeah, I saw the design about a week ago and it was described to me as organic.
If you look directly down on the street plan and buildings from above, the concept is
very curvy and with round shapes. What I got to see was not detailed at all... but
it will certainly fit into a suburban lifestyle.

TWAK
Mar 18, 2007, 6:15 AM
just got kicked outa some club by arden, my 1 atempt to be urban fails!!

TowerDistrict
Mar 18, 2007, 6:23 AM

wow... that's really amazing. did you guys see the article and renderings in SacTown mag? i don't really know what to say about the design - it was almost entirely conceptual and a bit vague. it will be very interesting to see how her bid fleshes out when actual buildings take shape.

http://www.sactownmag.com/_images/inside/36.jpg

Sacto
Mar 18, 2007, 7:16 AM
^ Anybody got a bigger version of that image?

ltsmotorsport
Mar 18, 2007, 7:30 AM
just got kicked outa some club by arden, my 1 atempt to be urban fails!!

Hate to break it to ya, but Arden is a little far from urban.

;) :whip:

Web
Mar 18, 2007, 6:41 PM
Arden Delpaso is somewhat

TWAK
Mar 18, 2007, 7:11 PM
Hate to break it to ya, but Arden is a little far from urban.

;) :whip:
seemed crowded, there was a night life, and some expensive restaurants i can't afford in the area. Is that urban?

ltsmotorsport
Mar 18, 2007, 7:29 PM
Were there big parking lots all around?

greenmidtown
Mar 18, 2007, 7:35 PM
seemed crowded, there was a night life, and some expensive restaurants i can't afford in the area. Is that urban?

I've met a lot of central valley people who come to arden or watt and think they're in the city. It's definitely suburban in that it's outside the periphery of the urban core. It might have traffic, expensive chain restaraunts, bars, or clubs but you can find all of that in any suburb. I think what sucks about Arden is that it has worse urban problems than the central city neighborhoods but it's still suburban. It's basically a land of strip malls but cars get stolen, people get mugged, raped, shot more than in Midtown/East Sac, probably even downtown. I think only North Sac and South Sac can rival it, but North Sac seems to be cleaning up nicely.

Brotha_Lynch
Mar 18, 2007, 10:26 PM
What's up guys. So me and some friends were in downtown last night by the 621? project, and we though, why not go check it out. So basically we climbed the ladder all the way to the top floor and I had a chance to snap some pictures with my cellphone before we heard someone on the construction elevator go up for us.

Well, here you go :D

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5972/0317072338eo0.jpg

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9853/0317072339vb1.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6254/0317072340st5.jpg

aufbau
Mar 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
What's up guys. So me and some friends were in downtown last night by the Aura project, and we though, why not go check it out.

I wish you were able to climb to the top of the aura by now, but you were in 621CM;), an under-construction office tower next to aura! Neat perspective, but be careful!

Brotha_Lynch
Mar 18, 2007, 11:05 PM
I wish you were able to climb to the top of the aura by now, but you were in 621CM;), an under-construction office tower next to aura! Neat perspective, but be careful!

Hey let's just call that a typo. I know the difference between the 2 lol

northbay
Mar 19, 2007, 12:49 AM
sweeet view

foxmtbr
Mar 19, 2007, 12:56 AM
Haha, great job! I can't believe someone would climb a 400 foot ladder! Hopefully you didn't get in huge trouble or anything. :tup:

Phillip
Mar 19, 2007, 5:01 AM
Hate to break it to ya, but Arden is a little far from urban.I don't think of Arden as urban in a Downtown sense, but to me it's still urban.

Even though Arden area is mostly suburban-style strip development to me it has more of a "city sensibility", as opposed to a "suburban sensibility". Same thing with Florin Road.

============

Does anyone know why many U.S. government reports refer to the Sacramento metro area as "Sacramento-Arden-Arcade"? Why not "Sacramento-Folsom" or "Sacramento-Placer County" or just plain "Sacramento"?

============

And while we're on Arden...does anyone know why the Arden Circuit City moved to its new location, a few blocks east, at Arden and Howe? I haven't been inside the new store yet, but driving past it looks like a worse location than what they had before. The new store doesn't look bigger (at least not from the outside) and the parking lot definitely looks smaller than what they had next to Mervyn's. I can't imagine that new lot will be able to accomodate CC's business at Christmas.

I'm guessing Circuit City HAD to move for some reason. It's too bad CompUSA didn't go out of business six months sooner because the CompUSA location would have been better (imo) than what CC just moved into.

BrianSac
Mar 19, 2007, 5:38 AM
I don't think of Arden as urban in a Downtown sense, but to me it's still urban.

Even though Arden area is mostly suburban-style strip development to me it has more of a "city sensibility", as opposed to a "suburban sensibility". Same thing with Florin Road.

Philip,
I think I know what you mean. "Urban" is also, a state of mind, South Central LA is mostly suburban in look, but definetely "urban" in attitude. Many parts of the San Fernando Valley are classicly suburban, but urban in state of mind.

uzi963
Mar 19, 2007, 5:53 AM
I don't think of Arden as urban in a Downtown sense, but to me it's still urban.

And while we're on Arden...does anyone know why the Arden Circuit City moved to its new location, a few blocks east, at Arden and Howe? I haven't been inside the new store yet, but driving past it looks like a worse location than what they had before. The new store doesn't look bigger (at least not from the outside) and the parking lot definitely looks smaller than what they had next to Mervyn's. I can't imagine that new lot will be able to accomodate CC's business at Christmas.

I'm guessing Circuit City HAD to move for some reason. It's too bad CompUSA didn't go out of business six months sooner because the CompUSA location would have been better (imo) than what CC just moved into.

I think that the new Circuit City is a better location. You're right that there's less parking (but there are a bunch of extra spots behind the store near guitar center), and if you go inside you see it has at least as much if not more floor space than the other location. I think that whole shopping center where it used to be located (mervyn's/sports authority/petco) and all those other smaller businesses in that little stretch have problems because that place is just so removed from the street-front. The new location by comparison is right in the middle of things.

I hope they're able to revamp that whole stretch of businesses where circuit city used to be. It's a great location, but they just don't have enough of the major anchor stores to draw the crowds to help them compete.

downtownserg89
Mar 19, 2007, 8:23 AM
no floors!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dirtychimp182/DSC03914.jpg

bennywah
Mar 19, 2007, 9:10 AM
^
where circuit city is now on arden used to be the 3rd busiest good guys store in california (i used to work there), the wherehouse is a lot smaller, but the floor area is more open than the old circuit city location and it fits circuit city's new business model more than the old store. Circuit city has decided to stop competing with best buy in a sense and refocus to the upper, almost what good guys did in its day. Best buy on the other hand is trying to compete with wal-mart and dell for market share, and being that there in the top 100 of fortune 500 companies and the cash reseres in the bank to compete it no longer worries about circuit cities and competitors of that nature. Having worked for circuit city back in the day before going to good guys, and later best buy, that location will be better for circuit city than the off the street hidden location it had before where during x-mas it had to share parking with mervyns and other retail joints too!!

reggiesquared
Mar 19, 2007, 4:58 PM
What's needed is a definition of what urban is to be able to classify an area as urban. The whole Arden area with its clusterf**k of cars, traffic and activity is very urban a la San Jose but its no West LA.

Sacramento Arden Arcade: Why DO they call it that? Sounds very 70's Although Sacramento + Arden is probably the most dense area in the county.

Circuit City: The new store is way better than the last one. Their new business model needed a new location and has higher visibility. Its a bit more urban looking than the last place with its expansive sticky dirty blacktop parking lot.

Sacto
Mar 19, 2007, 6:10 PM
Good stuff, brotha_lynch. Now you need to do the same thing during day light with heavy construction activity...

Phillip
Mar 19, 2007, 6:33 PM
where circuit city is now on arden used to be the 3rd busiest good guys store in california (i used to work there)The things I learn on this board! I was trying to remember what used to be in CC's new location and I couldn't; so thanks, bennywah.

I guess I liked the old location better because I could drive to it from Downtown witout having to go as far as Howe. That intersection of Arden & Howe with its traffic backups drives me crazy and now CC is in all that mess.

Brotha_Lynch
Mar 19, 2007, 7:35 PM
Good stuff, brotha_lynch. Now you need to do the same thing during day light with heavy construction activity...

Hell yea, I'm willing to get arrested for the sake of the forum. I'll take one for the team. lol

downtownserg89
Mar 19, 2007, 8:49 PM
Hell yea, I'm willing to get arrested for the sake of the forum. I'll take one for the team. lol

you beat me! i swear, yesterday i was at the site at around 3ish, and i was gonna ask if i could go up there for a "project for school" or something like that. well hope you get the shots. :tup:

bennywah
Mar 19, 2007, 8:54 PM
^
I thought inov8 was going up there sometime soon, I know I read that somewhere, I could be wrong?

innov8
Mar 19, 2007, 9:00 PM
^
I thought inov8 was going up there sometime soon, I know I read that somewhere, I could be wrong?

Yeah, I have been waiting patiently for clearance to post them from
the 621CM office... I should have them up tonight or tomorrow :tup:

downtownserg89
Mar 19, 2007, 9:01 PM
yeah i read that too, like the other week. someone's lagging!

friedpez
Mar 20, 2007, 12:53 AM
Anyone have any info on Aura? Is the loan going before council tomorrow evening? Do the prospects look good?
I wish I could be here but I'll be on a plane to Seattle at that time ('leaving right after finishing up my last undergraduate college finals, ever!!) :banana:

creamcityleo79
Mar 20, 2007, 12:59 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. We just got back from a wonderful week in Sac! We both had 1 job interview each and we both ended up (after those interviews) with REALLY great jobs...we're talking at least a 25-50% increase in pay for both of us combined. We also looked at 1 apt (in the Rosemont area) and ended up getting it. But, it's right across the street from a light rail station. So, one, or both, of us will be taking public transportation to work! Needless to say, it was a GREAT week! 2 weeks from tomorrow we drive back! We can't wait!

Schmoe
Mar 20, 2007, 1:02 AM
^^

I think it was delayed. Par for the course.

TowerDistrict
Mar 20, 2007, 1:16 AM
Anyone have any info on Aura? Is the loan going before council tomorrow evening? Do the prospects look good?
I wish I could be here but I'll be on a plane to Seattle at that time ('leaving right after finishing up my last undergraduate college finals, ever!!) :banana:

It's on tomorrow's agenda...

Redevelopment Agency) Agreement: Aura Project (Continued from 3-13-07) [To Be Delivered]
Location: 601 Capitol Mall, Central Business District (District 1)
Recommendation: Adopt a Redevelopment Agency Resolution 1) authorizing the approval of an Owner Participation Agreement (OPA) and related legal documents with Aura at 601 Capitol Mall, LLC (Developer) including an Intercreditor and Subordination Agreement to provide a $10,000,000 loan for the construction of the project; 2) authorizing a borrowing for the project of $10 million from Bank of America secured by Merged Downtown tax increment funds ; and 3) certifying the EIR as adequate for purposes of Agency CEQA reviewing and adopting the CEQA documentation and determinations, including mitigation measures and findings of overriding considerations made by the City for the project. Contact: Leslie Fritzsche, Downtown Development Manager, (916) 808-5450, Economic Development Department.

urban_encounter
Mar 20, 2007, 1:18 AM

This is basically a rubber stamp (unless) Nassi hasn't nailed down his construction loans, and then it might tank...

If Nassi can't secure his construction loans by 3/31 then there will be no transfer of property from David Taylor anyway, regadless of what happens tomorrow.

A lot of things still have to happen and I'll probably remain skeptical about this project until they sign the I beam for the topping out ceremony.

downtownserg89
Mar 20, 2007, 3:04 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone. We just got back from a wonderful week in Sac! We both had 1 job interview each and we both ended up (after those interviews) with REALLY great jobs...we're talking at least a 25-50% increase in pay for both of us combined. We also looked at 1 apt (in the Rosemont area) and ended up getting it. But, it's right across the street from a light rail station. So, one, or both, of us will be taking public transportation to work! Needless to say, it was a GREAT week! 2 weeks from tomorrow we drive back! We can't wait!

missed ya!

buckfmsac
Mar 20, 2007, 3:13 AM
This is basically a rubber stamp (unless) Nassi hasn't nailed down his construction loans, and then it might tank...

If Nassi can't secure his construction loans by 3/31 then there will be no transfer of property from David Taylor anyway, regadless of what happens tomorrow.

A lot of things still have to happen and I'll probably remain skeptical about this project until they sign the I beam for the topping out ceremony.

ahh yes, more drama please

friedpez
Mar 20, 2007, 3:43 AM
^ Yeah, I hear ya on that!

Grimnebulin
Mar 20, 2007, 3:57 AM

Congrats on the jobs and welcome back! :tup:

Grimnebulin
Mar 20, 2007, 3:58 AM
ahh yes, more drama please

It wouldn't be Sacramento is there weren't any drama, now would it? ;)

Web
Mar 20, 2007, 4:06 AM
What Mo Mohanna is not involved in this one. Wow.

7th to 8th on K st is pretty empty now......hope something happens soon or I suspect a fire......

downtownserg89
Mar 20, 2007, 5:26 AM
or I suspect a fire......

hahahahaha!

econgrad
Mar 20, 2007, 10:06 AM
I am really late in the Arden area being Urban or Suburban, but I was recovering from Saturday night. A volunteer fire fighter gave me and my friends free drink coupons at Brew It Up..thats what I remember happened anyway. OK :

Arden area is not Urban, it is suburb. Further more, GASP! East Sac, fab 40's, are also Suburbs... I know..I know..this may upset some of you. But guess what, Oak Park, Tahoe Park, Fab 40's, East Sac, etc are all Suburbs. They are all about as dense as Carmichael and Fair Oaks. Detached houses with yards, with a few apts mixed in. Midtown is considered more urban, because the amount of Apts and multi-use attached living far outnumbers the detached homes. I remember Urban Development at CSUS, wish I could find my book and the exact economic definition on what makes an area Urban, but its pretty obvious most of the time: More buildings over 2 stories, more attached dwellings, more high density than not. Just my 2 cents....

PS: YAY! FOR AURA!
PPS: Does anyone else think the new hotel/Condo high-rise on K Street is kind of...ugly? Or Plain? Maybe it will look a little different when fully done..
PPPS: Thanks for the Capital Grand Tower info, that would be so sick if built.

creamcityleo79
Mar 20, 2007, 6:03 PM
I see what you're saying about Arden-Arcade, Tahoe Park, Land Park, etc being suburban. But, when you think of classic suburbs in America, a community that is fairly dense does not come to mind. Let me give you an example...Arden-Arcade has a density of 5,084.9/mi². A similar suburb in Milwaukee called West Allis (it's actually considered an inner ring suburb) is 5,397.6/mi². West Allis is an extremely dense suburb that has very much the same look and feel as much of Milwaukee. There's not much of a difference there. But, if we look at suburbs further out, such as Carmichael, we start to see the BIG differences. The pop density of Carmichael is 4,622.2/mi². It's equivalent suburb in the Milwaukee area is Wauwatosa, WI. That suburb is (again considered an inner-ring suburb) 3,570.5/mi². I guess it depends on what you define urban as. Many "urban" places around the country are set up in an urban way; but, have the density of a suburb. On the other hand, many "suburban" places have the density of an urban city and even moreso, in some cases.

TowerDistrict
Mar 20, 2007, 6:34 PM
Most of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown and midtown that were built to be suburban about 60-90 years ago, are no longer suburban at all. they may have been intentionally built to be suburban at the time - but suburbia is now a totally different animal. and urban sprawl has absorbed most of the neighborhoods built during those times.

hell, even midtown was built with much less population density in mind. those large victorians now divided into four separate units were, once upon a time, single family homes.

TowerDistrict
Mar 20, 2007, 6:53 PM
Any updates on CADA's choice(s) for the East End Gateway sites?

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9711/eeg23no3.png

TowerDistrict
Mar 20, 2007, 7:19 PM
confirmation of the rumor??

June 1, 2007

Thomas Enterprises’ Vice President of Development, Suheil Totah, will join with representatives of the Sacramento City Manager’s office at the annual Industry Breakfast on Structures. The presentation will include new elements of the revised Railyard plan submitted to the City in the early spring. Sponsored by the Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce and the Sacramento Business Journal, the breakfast program runs from 7:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency, 1209 L Street on Friday, June 1. For more information contact the chamber at 916-552-6800 or visit www.metrochamber.org

sugit
Mar 20, 2007, 7:31 PM
Any updates on CADA's choice(s) for the East End Gateway sites?

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9711/eeg23no3.png

CADA selects the developer on Friday. I have the day off so I'm planning on trying to stop by for that item

Nawlijispower
Mar 20, 2007, 7:34 PM
Does anyone know what time the city council meeting is for Aura?

sugit
Mar 20, 2007, 7:35 PM
Doh

sugit
Mar 20, 2007, 7:51 PM
2:00

Also, Cathedral Square goes before the Design Review for review and comment on the 21st
Staff Report (http://www.cityofsacramento.org/dsd/council/commissions/design/2007/documents/DR05-340_staff-report_03-21-07.pdf)

otnemarcaS
Mar 20, 2007, 8:16 PM
Council delays Aura vote -- again

Sacramento Business Journal - 1:09 PM PDT Tuesday, March 20, 2007by Michael ShawStaff writer

Loans have not been finalized between BCN Development, developer of the 39-story Aura condominium project in downtown Sacramento, and its lenders, forcing the City Council on Tuesday to once again postpone a vote on a $10 million loan for the project.

BCN founder Craig Nassi has a tight timetable to secure financing on the project to complete a deal for the land and obtain the city loan.

The City Council will consider the loan next week, provided financing for the $175 million project has been secured.

sugit
Mar 20, 2007, 8:20 PM
Just beat me to it. Next week is his last chance....

goldcntry
Mar 20, 2007, 8:56 PM
Can I just start screaming now??? Build it, Dam it! :gaah:

Uh oh... that's a copywrited phrase from the days of the Auburn Dam debate... mustn't dredge up any bad feelings from that defunct project...

[stir][stir][stir]:tomato:

innov8
Mar 20, 2007, 9:24 PM
On a brighter note...

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7526/5621cmtower20070308fvh2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/996/47621cmtower20070308fby6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6369/49621cmtower20070308fxk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I have posted my pix from going up in tower: Click here... 621 Capitol Mall Tower (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=86268&page=19)

colemonkee
Mar 20, 2007, 9:34 PM
Those are some sweet pics, but this grate is totally menacing the dome...

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/996/47621cmtower20070308fby6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sacdelicious
Mar 20, 2007, 10:26 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Railyards Newsletter
Latest News
Spring 2007

Stan Thomas Joins Community Celebration at The Railyards

Friends of The Railyards:

In his first public appearance in Sacramento, Thomas Enterprises founder and CEO Stan Thomas welcomed hundreds of visitors at an inaugural open house celebration at The Railyards. The January 31 event was designed to introduce the community to the 240 acre property and to showcase the old paint shop which is the planned site of a new public marketplace.

Nugget Market helped transform the empty historic structure with overflowing displays of plentiful vegetables, fruits and flowers from the Central Valley. Visitors were able to take light rail to the train station and hop on a complimentary RT trolley to get to the site which has been closed to the general public for 150 years. Guests got a first-hand look at the turn-of-the-century architecture of the buildings and sampled food and refreshments from a number of generous vendors including Java City, Zocalo's, All Season's-All Reason's, Fat City, G. Rossi and Co. Florists and Ettore's. Local media personality Kelly Brothers served as emcee and entertainment was provided by junior members of the Sacramento Theatre Company and the local band Devious.

Sacramento Mayor Heather Fargo spoke of the city's plan to construct a state-of-the-art intermodal transportation facility at The Railyards and the Director of the Department of Toxic Substances Control, Maureen Gorsen, pledged the support of the Governor to develop the project. "This is a public private partnership," Stan Thomas told the six hundred attendees. "We want to build something we can all be proud of."

State Housing Bond Funds Sought
Last fall, California voters enacted a state housing bond measure that includes $850 million for regional planning, housing and infill incentives and $300 million in grants to local governments to develop infrastructure associated with high-density, transit-oriented development. One of the initial challenges in redeveloping The Railyards and the City's new intermodal transit facility involves securing funding for basic infrastructure on the site. Thomas representatives have provided input to the Department of Housing and Community Development which is developing project criteria to distribute the funding. With more than 10,000 high-density housing units near an intermodal facility and light rail lines, The Railyards is perfectly suited to receive positive consideration.

Leadership Sacramento Regional Issues Day
Members of the Sacramento Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class recently visited The Railyards to learn more about the development plan to create an exciting mixed-use, high-density, transit oriented development project to benefit the entire Sacramento region. Following lunch and a presentation by Thomas Enterprises Vice President of Development, Suheil Totah and City Planning Director Carol Shearly, the group participated in a 30-minute walking tour with Thomas Enterprises Development Director Richard Rich. To learn more about The Railyards specific plan, please call the office at (916) 329-4500.

Contact Information
email: news@sacramentorailyards.com

Schmoe
Mar 20, 2007, 10:26 PM

Sacramento Business Journal - 1:09 PM PDT Tuesday, March 20, 2007by Michael ShawStaff writer

Loans have not been finalized between BCN Development, developer of the 39-story Aura condominium project in downtown Sacramento, and its lenders, forcing the City Council on Tuesday to once again postpone a vote on a $10 million loan for the project.

BCN founder Craig Nassi has a tight timetable to secure financing on the project to complete a deal for the land and obtain the city loan.

The City Council will consider the loan next week, provided financing for the $175 million project has been secured.

I'm a prophet.

Schmoe
Mar 20, 2007, 10:29 PM
Those are some sweet pics, but this grate is totally menacing the dome...

I love how this joke has endured! It's been over two years since that quote, I think!

urban_encounter
Mar 21, 2007, 1:21 AM

:rolleyes:

It wont' be..

Like i was saying lastnight; this would simply be a rubber stamp, were Nassi to have all of his financing lined up.

If Nassi can't secure his construction loans by 3/31 then there will be no transfer of property from David Taylor anyway, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Nassi has had three years to pull this together. (Nearly a year and a half since city approval.) If he doesn't have financing locked up yet, I doubt he will by next week.

This project is looking as unlikely to be built, as the one down the street..

unbelievable.......

enigma99a
Mar 21, 2007, 1:51 AM
Why is it so hard to get financing? Both 301 and Aura have a lot of buyers even though they have both yet to rise above the ground.

BrianSac
Mar 21, 2007, 2:25 AM
Why is it so hard to get financing? Both 301 and Aura have a lot of buyers even though they have both yet to rise above the ground.

Maybe a lot of buyers have pulled-out. Also, if construction costs are so much higher now, then the developer's profit margins may have diminished so much that they really dont want to build as originally designed. Or, the banks aren't so willing to lend as the risks are greater; therefore, their requirements are tighter now.

Majin
Mar 21, 2007, 3:04 AM
I am beyond understanding this drama, this is just ridiculous.

Nassi has stated a few times in press releases that:

* Construction Loan is a lock ( :rolleyes: )
* Construction prices are locked in and market flucations won't affect building costs
* 65% Presold
* 51% Required for loan
* Everything is in place and is just waiting for the loan to finalize

*****WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE PROBLEM?????*****

The whole problem doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can think of is Nassi is just straight out lying to the public about the situation regarding Aura. 65% presold, 51% required, 10M loan from the city, how else can a project be handed to you on a silver platter?

I don't know if you guys remember this, but I sent Sherryl Fleeman (the Aura sales specialist) a email in January about the status of Aura, and she replied back right away assuring me Aura was "a hairs breath" from construction and she will have a ground breaking date shortly. Well its two months later and we are still in this mess. I just sent her a farily nasty email just now out of fustration. Probably something I shouldn't of done, but hey, the way things are going now it is becomming apparently clear that Nassi is blantly lying to the public.

Phillip
Mar 21, 2007, 3:58 AM
Corus Bank has troubles of its own now.

From the Chicago Tribune:

Subprime exposure costly for Corus

By James P. Miller
Tribune staff reporter
Published March 15, 2007, 5:18 PM CDT

Chicago bank holding company Corus Bankshares Inc. said its sizeable investment in the stock of troubled subprime lender Fremont General Corp. has caused Corus's position in Fremont to become "materially impaired," which will spark a hefty pretax charge that could be $14.3 million or even higher.

Corus said company officials have concluded that the trouble with its holding constitutes what's known as an "other-than-temporary" impairment, under generally accepted accounting principals.

While Corus emphasized that it has "the intent and the ability to retain its Fremont investment," the Chicago company believes that Fremont's recent travails require the company to record a charge in the first quarter of 2007, to reflect the decline in the value of its Fremont investment.

Fremont, based in Santa Monica, Calif., is a "sub-prime lender," which means, in general, it makes real estate loans to home buyers with credit profiles that are weaker than desirable, and then sells those loans to companies that package them in specialized securities.

During the height of the recent housing boom, sub-prime lenders saw their shares zoom upward. But with interest rates higher and increasing numbers of earlier borrowers defaulting on their loans, Wall Street has turned its back on the shares of most sub-prime lenders.

Fremont is tardy in filing its 2006 financial documents with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and federal banking officials recently issued a "cease and desist" order that restrict the California company from many of its earlier activities.

Fremont has announced that as a result of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.'s cease and desist order and other factors, the company will exit its sub-prime residential real estate lending.

Corus noted that as of Dec. 31, the Chicago bank owned 1.6 million shares of Fremont. In 2007, it said, and particularly since the recent disclosures and decline in Fremont's stock price, "Corus has opportunistically purchased an additional 967,000 shares, bring its total position to 2.5 million shares."

Corus said it paid an average of $12.73 for all the shares it owns. But Fremont's stock dropped from $11.65 a share on Feb. 27 to $7.40 a share at the close of trading today.

Corus will take a charge to first-quarter earnings to mark the value of the Fremont stock down from the price the bank paid for the shares to the market value of Fremont shares on March 31, the last day of the current quarter.

At Thursday's closing price for Fremont shares, the bank holding company said, the charge would be $14.3 million pretax, or $9.3 million after tax.

In the first quarter of 2006, Corus had net income of $43.4 million, or $1.50 a share.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

innov8
Mar 21, 2007, 4:03 AM
I am beyond understanding this drama, this is just ridiculous.

Nassi has stated a few times in press releases that:

* Construction Loan is a lock ( :rolleyes: )
* Construction prices are locked in and market flucations won't affect building costs
* 65% Presold
* 51% Required for loan
* Everything is in place and is just waiting for the loan to finalize

*****WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THE PROBLEM?????*****

The whole problem doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can think of is Nassi is just straight out lying to the public about the situation regarding Aura. 65% presold, 51% required, 10M loan from the city, how else can a project be handed to you on a silver platter?

I don't know if you guys remember this, but I sent Sherryl Fleeman (the Aura sales specialist) a email in January about the status of Aura, and she replied back right away assuring me Aura was "a hairs breath" from construction and she will have a ground breaking date shortly. Well its two months later and we are still in this mess. I just sent her a farily nasty email just now out of fustration. Probably something I shouldn't of done, but hey, the way things are going now it is becomming apparently clear that Nassi is blantly lying to the public.

I hear ya Majin... as I was crossing over from West Sac. on the Capitol City
freeway and looked over at the skyline tonight, I had this sinking feeling in
my stomach... and now that article Phillip posted made the future for
downtown look even bleaker... at least with this hand full of towers waiting
to be built.

brandon12
Mar 21, 2007, 4:16 AM
This article alone doesn't mention anything that will make a company with over $10B in assets and annual income of $300M make significant changes to its operations. I wouldn't let this article worry anyone too much. Real estate loans are what they do; it's hard to imagine they're gonna quit.

From their website: "Corus is a leader in providing construction and development loans for commercial real estate projects across the country. Corus Bank finances projects in major markets nationwide with a target loan size from $20 million to $200 million"

innov8
Mar 21, 2007, 4:42 AM
Here are several shots I took during last weeks railroad fire.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7712/fireskyline20070315fmz9.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/982/621cm320070315fvp1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Phillip
Mar 21, 2007, 4:51 AM
I agree, Brandon, that a $14.3 million loss isn't crippling to a bank the size of Corus. The big question is whether $14.3 million will be the extent of Corus' loss on Fremont and what Corus holdings/exposure are to other subprime lenders. Also how the condo towers that Corus funded in 2005 and 2006 are selling.

If Fremont goes belly up, which looks probable, then Corus' loss on that one investment will be over $25 million (2.5 million shares purchased at average $12.73 per share.)

A bank like Corus can absorb a $25 million loss as well, if that's all there is.

I don't know anything about Corus beyond the article I posted so I'm not going to speculate further. The saga should come to some kind of resolution soon.

Phillip
Mar 21, 2007, 5:08 AM
Great shot of that L-shaped plume of dark smoke over Downtown, innov8. There must have been some weird air masses to make the smoke turn a sharp 90 degree angle like that.

Speaking of fires, has anyone heard any followup on the K Street arson story? I know they arrested and charged a teenager in San Diego, but few details were given. Who was that kid? What was he doing in Sacramento? etc etc

joninsac
Mar 21, 2007, 5:11 AM
Here's an excerpt from Corus' 2006 annual report -

Residential Real Estate Market & Potential Risks
It should be no surprise that Corus, with a loan portfolio invested almost exclusively in loans
to condominium developers, is feeling the effects
of the nationwide slowdown in the housing market. The 39% decrease in our pipeline of pending
loans, as compared to December 31, 2005, provides evidence of this slowdown. Aside from the
effects on our new loan origination volumes, the slowdown in the housing market is also impacting
Corus in terms of credit quality of loans already on our books. We have seen various projects that
are experiencing slower sales of condominium units and/or lower prices than the developer or we
would like. While construction projects are clearly not immune to the forces of the slowdown,
conversion projects are displaying more obvious signs of weakness. We have had numerous loans
that have experienced meaningful problems, but in most cases, the borrowers or their financial
backers (usually the Mezzanine Lenders in the projects) have stepped up to the plate and invested
additional dollars, signed financial guarantees or taken other actions that have strengthened the loan
from our perspective.

We will not hesitate to foreclose if a borrower does not support a loan that is in distress. In
general, we would not agree to a workout if a borrower approaches us with the attitude that we should
leave him in control of the project and give him all of the upside if the market turns around, but
leaves the Bank to take all of the downside risk. We believe that our loans were conservatively
underwritten, leaving room for our loan amounts to increase or the collateral values to decrease and
still have the Bank get repaid in full.

With all of this discussion of slowing loan volume and potential credit problems, we would like
to reiterate that we do, nonetheless, continue to see good opportunities for new loans in the
condominium construction market. We continue to believe that many profitable opportunities, for
both the Bank and its customers, exist in many cities across the country to build and develop
condominium projects. While other lenders may be afraid of the condominium construction market,
this helps us by limiting competition.

http://www.corusbank.com/acrobat/2006_ar.pdf

Sacto
Mar 21, 2007, 6:41 AM
I love this shot.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/982/621cm320070315fvp1.jpg

fatchocolatecow
Mar 21, 2007, 3:17 PM
Bob Shallit: Track talks tie up removal of soil
By Bob Shallit - Bee Columnist
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Union Pacific may be able to repair a burned-down trestle at amazing speed. But the railroad company chugs along much more slowly on other matters.

Just ask developer Paul Petrovich, who says he recently completed two years of negotiations with UP to resume hauling contaminated soil from his residential development site at the former Curtis Park railyard in Sacramento.

"Without a doubt, it was the most difficult and frustrating transaction I've ever done," he says.

Petrovich and a partner bought 65 acres of railyard from UP four years ago and started removing dirt. Then, in a move he probably regrets, he opted to buy an additional 8 acres.

The new parcel included the UP track used to haul away the toxic soil. That put a stop to the hauling because, he says, the railroad "wouldn't put any cars on track it didn't own."

Talks to secure track rights on adjacent property took months. Those were easy compared to subsequent negotiations over who would pay for any cleanup costs exceeding those covered by Petrovich's insurance policy.

A deal was signed Thursday, says Petrovich, who's eager to start removing the last 1,000 carloads of contaminated soil -- a task he figures could take up to a year. Then he'll start construction on Curtis Park Village, a 73-acre infill project of residences and retail shops running alongside a portion of UP's tracks.

After what Petrovich considers an unnecessarily drawn-out process, he's not exactly singing UP's praises.

The company, Petrovich says, "thinks and acts like its own sovereign nation -- and an unfriendly one at that."

A UP spokesman declined comment, saying "outstanding issues" still need to be resolved.

TowerDistrict
Mar 21, 2007, 4:57 PM
Sounds like UP is even more fun to deal with then Petrovich. It's not often I read a denigratory article from Bob Shallit. i think i'm starting to see a pattern here...

Web
Mar 21, 2007, 8:04 PM
Maybe Mo can come in a build something else

TowerDistrict
Mar 21, 2007, 9:17 PM
Maybe Mo can come in a build something else

Is it possible to set fire to toxic dirt and make it go away?

econgrad
Mar 21, 2007, 11:00 PM
hell, even midtown was built with much less population density in mind. those large victorians now divided into four separate units were, once upon a time, single family homes.

I agree with you there. I guess my response to the fab 40's and such, just because it is located near an urban area does not make it urban. Thanks for all the responses!
Tower: I don't think you can burn the toxic dirt in danger of fumes. What a law suit if someone got sick or worse! :yuck: It would be great if the clean up was already done. :cheers:

econgrad
Mar 22, 2007, 4:49 AM
I just heard that Trummel Crow (if you guys remember on Alhambra) is still moving forward and looks like it will happen. This is from a person involved in the project. Anyone else have any new info? Once I get something solid I will repost ASAP. Sorry to be so vague, but I am not sure if I am allowed to quote the person and his/her position. But what the heck, I wanted to post some positive news! Hopefully all is true what I heard.

TowerDistrict
Mar 22, 2007, 4:55 PM
yeah, that project has been completely approved by the city, and the appeals were denied. Trammel Crow has to add some crosswalk and street light type of upgrades as a condition of the neighborhood input, but that's it. i don't know when construction starts though.

I'm curious to hear how this project (http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2006/09/25/story7.html) is progressing.

Web
Mar 22, 2007, 5:54 PM
Mo is the answer to all concerns........:haha:

K street now looks like a war zone.....especially on 8th but 7th is not much better anymore with joe sun and mens wearhouse and that music place now gone

Web
Mar 22, 2007, 5:56 PM
yeah, that project has been completely approved by the city, and the appeals were denied. Trammel Crow has to add some crosswalk and street light type of upgrades as a condition of the neighborhood input, but that's it. i don't know when construction starts though.

I'm curious to hear how this project (http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2006/09/25/story7.html) is progressing.

This area they are burning off the fumes.......they built a little fume burner there last summer

TowerDistrict
Mar 22, 2007, 6:16 PM
Mo is the answer to all concerns........:haha:

K street now looks like a war zone.....especially on 8th but 7th is not much better anymore with joe sun and mens wearhouse and that music place now gone

Word on the street is that it's now Records on Broadway. Should hear an announcement soon. but this would be the old Tower Video location, so they're all spoken for now.

sugit
Mar 22, 2007, 7:57 PM
I guess the 3rd is okay. The real deadline is for him to close on Lot A by the 31st. That is going to be the tell all. If he closes on Lot A by the 31st, he has his financing in place.

25. (Redevelopment Agency) Agreement: Aura Project (Continued from 3-13-07) (Continued from 3-20-07)
Location: 601 Capitol Mall, Central Business District (District 1)
Recommendation: Continue to April 3, 2007. Contact: Leslie Fritzsche, Downtown Development Manager, (916) 808-5450, Economic Development Department.

sugit
Mar 22, 2007, 10:16 PM
God, I hope we can still get the one on K Street now. I know this has been a rumor for a while they would take this space. But I wonder if they were deciding over here and K Street and the delays on the 700 block caused them to go to Arden.

Urban Outfitters scheduled to open in Sacramento
Sacramento Business Journal - 2:35 PM PDT Thursday, March 22, 2007
by Kelly Johnson

Urban Outfitters is going to make its Sacramento debut with a store in Market Square @ Arden Fair Shopping Center, the center's management company announced Thursday.

Urban Outfitters, which offers merchandise for the home and wardrobe for customers age 18 to 30, will take the 12,500 square feet formerly occupied by Virgin Megastore. The store is scheduled to open this winter, according to Fulcrum Management Group. Market Square @ Arden Fair is located next to Arden Fair mall in Sacramento.

Urban Outfitters Inc., founded in Philadelphia in 1970, operates under three brands: Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and Free People.

The company (Nasdaq: URBN) has 106 Urban Outfitters stores in the United States, Canada and Europe, 93 Anthropologie stores in the United States and eight Free People stores.

During the company's fiscal year ended Jan. 31, Urban Outfitters opened 14 new Anthropologie stores, two new Free People stores and 16 new Urban Outfitters stores. The company announced earlier this month that it plans to open at least 38 new stores during the current fiscal year.

For the fiscal year, the company made $116.2 million on revenue of $1.22 billion, a 12 percent increase and a record.

Sacdelicious
Mar 22, 2007, 10:22 PM
City set to buy Oak Park parcels
Plans are not defined for the 'catalyst' site at 34th Street.
By Ralph Montaño - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Thursday, March 22, 2007
Story appeared in CITY section, Page G1

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Envisioning a new gateway to Sacramento's first suburb, the Sacramento City Council last week approved the purchase of four parcels of property at Broadway and 34th Street for $2.3 million.

"This is Oak Park's downtown," said Tom Sumpter with the Oak Park Neighborhood Association. "This is an important part of the vision (for the community)."

City officials referred to the site, just over a half-acre across the street from Kevin Johnson's 40 Acres Art Gallery, as a "catalyst for future development projects and commercial and residential investment in the area."

Developers are lining up to take on the project, according to city records.

Calling itself the Broadway and Second Avenue Development Partnership, a team of developers has proposed a mixed-use project there. City officials said the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency, or SHRA, has not committed to a project or a developer for the site.

The site, which once housed a saddlery and later a secondhand store for Goodwill, has been vacant for two years.

Initially, SHRA officials proposed to pay $3 million for the parcels using funds from a 2005 taxable bond. Neighborhood activists balked at the figure, saying it was too high and funding was better spent elsewhere. SHRA negotiated again and returned with a new price. The allocation of $2.3 million will pay for the acquisition of the properties, relocation of a business at the site and demolition of the old building.

The current owner of the properties, Andy Rosten, said the city and the neighborhood are getting a good deal.

"I'm happy someone is able to put this property to the best use possible," Rosten said. He and his wife, Mary Dignan Rosten, purchased the parcels over time and used the properties as a central location for his building supplies while renovating homes in suburban communities. Rosten said his business is relocating to downtown.

Rosten said he had been approached during the past two years by thrift-store and check-cashing businesses about renting the building, but he declined. He was close to closing a deal with a laundromat when he was approached by SHRA.

Some neighbors from Oak Park are still unhappy with the deal.

"My concern is that there is so much vacant property in that area," said neighborhood activist Clara McKeithern. "When we've got property with a good building on it, that could be used, why don't we use it?"

Sacramento City Councilwoman Lauren Hammond, whose District 5 includes Oak Park, said, "I would think that we will not do any demolition until we have a plan. That's my preference."

Hammond added that, by their involvement, neighbors have already made it a better project. She encouraged their continued involvement. "This will stimulate some discussion and get something done," Hammond said.

LaTisha Lawson, a member of the neighborhood association and also a member of Oak Park's Redevelopment Advisory Committee, said this is an opportunity for Oak Park residents to put a stamp on their own destiny.

"Oak Park is a beautiful place to live," she said. "I want to see it a more beautiful place to live. There are people out walking but there is no place to walk to. This an opportunity for the neighborhood to have a say in what goes in there."

About the writer:
The Bee's Ralph Montaño can be reached at (916) 321-1159 or rmontano@sacbee.com.