PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

ltsmotorsport
Sep 20, 2017, 3:32 AM
I believe the financing is being held up because of the pending lawsuit against the project. No lender would green-light funds with such an outstanding issue. We will have to wait and see the outcome then we can know better what will happen going forward.

snfenoc
Oct 3, 2017, 7:10 PM
I thought this was interesting:

CalPERS has not followed through on pledge to build downtown housing, city says

BY RYAN LILLIS
rlillis@sacbee.com
My feed
OCTOBER 03, 2017 3:55 AM

For a decade, CalPERS and the city of Sacramento have had a signed understanding that the giant pension fund would build hundreds of housing units along downtown’s R Street corridor. All this time later, CalPERS has not lived up to its end of the bargain.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article176675991.html

snfenoc
Oct 12, 2017, 7:10 PM
First residential development in the Railyards:
EXCLUSIVE: Plans pending for six-story Railyards mixed-use project
By Ben van der Meer – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
4 hours ago

Plans will be submitted shortly for what would be the Sacramento Railyards’ first residential development: a six-story, mixed-use project...

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/10/12/exclusive-plans-pending-for-six-story-railyards.html

Here are the basics:

6 Stories

270 housing units

6,000-7,000 square feet of retail space

Could be market rate, affordable or a combination

Location would be northeast of the Shops buildings, south of Railyards Blvd. and between 6th and 7th Streets.

Metro Crossing, a 200 unit proposal on 7th Street, between F & G Streets (closer to Downtown), is now off the table. Boooo!!!!

Much of the focus, right now, is on putting together a proposal to lure Amazon. Yay??? Not sure they should be swinging for the fences on Amazon. I think, they should focus on actually finishing...well, starting...the Railyards' build out.

Sac-O-Lantern
Oct 16, 2017, 9:17 PM
Hello,

I was glad to find this forum discussion. I didn't know anyone was discussing this stuff . . . anywhere.

A question I have about a project i haven't found any news on recently:

What is the status of Sacramento Commons? (not Downtown Commons). Last I read it was sold to a Washington-state company.

ozone
Oct 17, 2017, 5:21 PM
Hello,

I was glad to find this forum discussion. I didn't know anyone was discussing this stuff . . . anywhere.

What is the status of Sacramento Commons? (not Downtown Commons). Last I read it was sold to a Washington-state company.

Welcome Sac-O-Lantern! I have not heard anything lately. I imagine it’s one of those problematic properties given the uproar by the SacMod group and already having residents.

yolonative
Oct 17, 2017, 8:04 PM
Hello,

Welcome to this corner of the internet. I haven't heard much either. Not that this means anything substantive, but Railyards just shared this on their facebook page and mentions Sacramento Commons:

https://railyards.com/blog/PostId/50/7-projects-revitalizing-downtown-sacramento

Could just be feigned marketing ploy, but hopefully it reflects some reality that it's still moving forward.

snfenoc
Oct 19, 2017, 3:53 AM
It’s nice to learn that the NIMBY lawsuit against the Yamanee project was dismissed. Still, I’d be very pleasantly surprised if this one gets built.

ozone
Oct 19, 2017, 4:27 PM
It’s nice to learn that the NIMBY lawsuit against the Yamanee project was dismissed. Still, I’d be very pleasantly surprised if this one gets built.

Always the optimist 😝. I don’t know what makes you think this won’t get built. There’s several mid-rise infill projects underconstruction now in Midtown and those are are selling seem to be doing well. Poor wburg tho 😏.

Majin
Oct 19, 2017, 6:18 PM
Always the optimist 😝. I don’t know what makes you think this won’t get built. There’s several mid-rise infill projects underconstruction now in Midtown and those are are selling seem to be doing well. Poor wburg tho 😏.

It may get built, but given that both ground floor places were recently leased I'm not sure if bulldozing is going to happen anytime soon. 19th and J went from proposal to bulldozing very quick by comparison. Same thing with 15th and Q.

snfenoc
Oct 19, 2017, 7:58 PM
Always the optimist ������. I don’t know what makes you think this won’t get built. There’s several mid-rise infill projects underconstruction now in Midtown and those are are selling seem to be doing well. Poor wburg tho ������.

See Majin for part of my answer to you. Timing is key to these large-scale developments. The market is already showing signs of weakness. Plus, as you’ve pointed out, there are several competing developments that are further along.

Let me add, that while I like the proposal and support it’s right to be built in midtown , it’s size is out of character for the area, and the housing units are anything but affordable. The developer even said that Yamanee only “pencils out” if it is high density and luxurious. Sounds to me that the developer is operating on a thin margin, and he is trying to turn a profit through high volume and high prices. It's gonna be a tough one to get built: Where are the investors? Who is the builder/contractor? Does he even have a concrete timetable? Are they ready to get going?

Just because we see bulldozers moving dirt around, that does not mean 19J and 1430Q will actually get built. I am certainly hopeful, but we've seen this before. At least 19J is affordable, and at least 1430 Q is by a venerable developer using a cheaper technique (wood frame). What does Yamanee have going for it?

Majin
Oct 19, 2017, 10:52 PM
I definitely disagree about 19th and J and 15th and Q, I'm nearly 100% certain those will get build. Almost never is there dirty flying and the project is cancelled. Usually it never even makes it to the demo stage if the project isnt going to be completed. The notable exception is 301CM, but besides that has there ever been a large project in the grid that actually stopped mid construction?

The ONLY indication that Yamanee is iffy is the fact that the developer leased the ground floor. If they were confident after the law suit got dismissed that demo was going to start soon I doubt the ground floor would of been leased.

And what weakness in the market are you talking about? Half of the condos in Doco have already been sold and the models aren't even open yet.

ozone
Oct 20, 2017, 5:53 AM
You guys crack me up. Trying to speculate about whether or not it will get built, if there is market for it, will it pencil out? As for it being out of character with the neighborhood. That’s such bs. All you have to do is look across the street at the brutalist senior apartment block. It’s not going to be a skyscraper plopped down in the middle of a bunch of charming Victorian houses. That is how it’s being portrayed which is totally disingenuous. I get that change is hard for some people but that’s too bad. If you want to live in a small town move there.

Majin I’m curious what's the business(s) that have signed a new lease on the property?

Saw a piece about this on the news tonight. William Burg was interviewed. Sounds like he’s good with new housing as long as it only 3-4 stories tall. I also heard the developer use the date 2020. Is that the planned date to start construction or completion?

Sac-O-Lantern
Oct 20, 2017, 7:28 AM
Welcome Sac-O-Lantern! I have not heard anything lately. I imagine it’s one of those problematic properties given the uproar by the SacMod group and already having residents.

Thanks! I remember reading SacMod's criticisms. Preservation Sacramento currently threatens legal action against it on their website in the event the current owner wants to try for any additional discretionary approvals:

http://www.preservationsacramento.org/save-captowers

innov8
Oct 20, 2017, 3:47 PM
Usually it never even makes it to the demo stage if the project isnt going to be completed. The notable exception is 301CM, but besides that has there ever been a large project in the grid that actually stopped mid construction?

1801 L Street across from the L Street Lofts stalled out in 2002 for nearly two
years with just the concrete podiums and rebar coming out of the ground.
It restarted again in mid-2004. I believe the size of the project was downsized
a floor or two so that the new lenders were comfortable with the
risk. If the stock market begins to pull back or the economy falters, all
these projects will be frozen and either be downsized or canceled… it’s
happen before in this city and 1801 L Street is a good example of that.

ozone
Oct 20, 2017, 4:43 PM
1801 L Street across from the L Street Lofts stalled out in 2002 for nearly two
years with just the concrete podiums and rebar coming out of the ground.
It restarted again in mid-2004. I believe the size of the project was downsized
a floor or two so that the new lenders were comfortable with the
risk. If the stock market begins to pull back or the economy falters, all
these projects will be frozen and either be downsized or canceled… it’s
happen before in this city and 1801 L Street is a good example of that.

Yes but you are forgetting that back then a project like 1801 L was sort of ground-breaking and the market untested. That’s no longer the case. Sure it’s posible that we could see an economic contraction and projects suspended but I don’t know why that should still be the default outlook for Sacramento?

urbanadvocate
Oct 20, 2017, 4:48 PM
19J has the steel popping out--this one is going fast and should be clearly vertical sooner rather than later.

Any word on Marshall? Last I heard that project was finally slated to begin construction.

ozone
Oct 20, 2017, 5:50 PM
:???:19J has the steel popping out--this one is going fast and should be clearly vertical sooner rather than later.

Any word on Marshall? Last I heard that project was finally slated to begin construction.

That was fast. I just drove by yesterday. Must have missed it.
Walked past the Marshall yesterday too. Looks like everyone’s out of there now. I think everyone is anxious to move quickly on that project. I have a friend who was an investor in the Marshall in 00’s when they first tried to convert it a hotel or residences (I forget) and he said it was a nightmare because of a law that required developers to find the existing tenants new homes. As you can imagine that was no easy task and not exactly the type of thing investors/developers are interested in doing. Also the religious charity ‘Loaves and Fishes’ pretty much bullied the city into erecting obsticles at every turn. So it’s been a long time coming.

snfenoc
Oct 20, 2017, 7:50 PM
Not sure why I am getting flack. I never said 1430Q and 19J won't get built. In fact, I'm a about 90% certain that BOTH will get built without much issue or delay. I think that I'm being quite optimistic. My point is that there are no guarantees - there is a level of uncertainty with any project. Even at the site prep and foundation stages of development, it is possible for a project to be halted.

You asked for examples, but you won't let me include the most illustrative one: 301 CM. (I think that's an unfair argument technique, if you ask me.) Fact is, I cannot give you examples that meet your very specific parameters. However, on satellite, you can still see the foundation of a ballpark in the North Natomas, just to the north of ARCO Arena. Aura got to the test pile stage before it was halted. Tapestry Square had a couple-year delay, mid development, before it was completed. I'm sure a google search can show multiple examples of projects across the country being stopped after site prep or construction began. It is possible that 1430Q and/or 15J could hit a snag. Is it likely? Not really.

Keep in mind, all my statements are in context to Yamanee's chances of getting built: If there is some level of uncertainty to 1430Q and 19J, there is definitely uncertainty with Yamanee: Site prep has not begun. Heck, there are still tenants occupying the old building. According to the developer, Yamanee will only work if it is 130' taller than anything else nearby (except for one senior housing "Project" across the street that was built 40 years ago). It concerns me if a developer cannot compromise or has very specific requirements for a project to pencil out; because it tells me that the project is unlikely to work without extraordinary circumstances.

You asked for evidence of market weakness: Last week the SBJ reported that Sacramento area apartment rents are flattening. Also, another report shows that housing prices are down about 5%. These stats could mean absolutely nothing, we could be in a post-Labor Day lull, or it's possible that the housing market is beginning to cool. If demand for housing is falling, or supply is too high, that could certainly affect planned developments - especially expensive, multi-unit buildings.

You mentioned that half of the "Residences at Sawyer" have sold...OK...so what? How many units is that? Like 20-25? (I have to wonder...how many of those units went to certain people connected with the Kings?) I'm not that impressed; come back with some bigger numbers. Remember, those residences are a tiny part of a much larger, subsidized project that is almost complete. Yamanee is a lone development with 15 floors, 14,000 square feet of retail and 137 luxury units. Oh yeah, and it hasn't even begun construction yet.

To Ozone:
This is a forum about development. Speculation, argument, discussion, updates, pictures, and article posting about development is kinda what we do, here.

ozone
Oct 21, 2017, 5:01 AM
^^^
Oh I understanding the forum just fine. I just don't happened to agree with you regarding Yamanee. I'll make a friendly wager. If it doesn't start construction I'll buy you a beer and if it does you'll owe me one.

Pistola916
Oct 21, 2017, 5:59 PM
I would like to see Yamanee get built but I disagree with the idea that the project would only work in that particular location. Now I understand the developer doesn't own the land at other empty lots or sites West of 16th street. I think Yamanee could be built right next to the new Sutter Women's and Children's hospital, which is what around 150 feet, along the Cap City Freeway, where there are a few 4-6 story medical office facilities. I know it's moot since there isn't a plot of land to develop - unless RT sold their maintenance facility next to the hospital - would people be up and arms if Yamanee was develop Ed there?

snfenoc
Oct 23, 2017, 9:18 PM
^^^
Oh I understanding the forum just fine. I just don't happened to agree with you regarding Yamanee. I'll make a friendly wager. If it doesn't start construction I'll buy you a beer and if it does you'll owe me one.

That's a bet I look forward to losing. Hopefully, next time I am in Sacramento, I can buy you a beer or ten.

Having said that , I need some stipulations: demolition and moving dirt around is not construction, in my book. Instead, we need to see vertical construction. That is, the foundation must be completed and vertical columns must be going up.

ozone
Oct 25, 2017, 4:59 AM
That's a bet I look forward to losing. Hopefully, next time I am in Sacramento, I can buy you a beer or ten.

Having said that , I need some stipulations: demolition and moving dirt around is not construction, in my book. Instead, we need to see vertical construction. That is, the foundation must be completed and vertical columns must be going up.

Agreed!

SacTownAndy
Oct 29, 2017, 4:33 PM
Renderings were released for the new Sac County Courthouse. It's actually taller than I was thinking it would be. A few images in the Bee:

http://http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article181332621.html (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article181332621.html)

ozone
Oct 29, 2017, 4:46 PM
Renderings were released for the new Sac County Courthouse. It's actually taller than I was thinking it would be. A few images in the Bee:

http://http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article181332621.html (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article181332621.html)

All I see is another wrongheaded decision by bureaucrats out of depth. Why are placing it there? I thought they were going to build it where the garage is now? They is where it should go. The design is very preliminary but it’s boring.

CastleScott
Oct 29, 2017, 6:09 PM

Being a courthouse there is usually a 20+ feet floor to ceiling height for courtrooms making it close to 325-340 feet tall. I like the slender style but do a nice crown or even a pointy top to make it interesting however when using public funding its a bit of a streach to do that kind of stuff (although the nearby Federal courthouse has a nice crown with a cool postmodern design).

Pistola916
Oct 29, 2017, 7:00 PM

Is there a picture of the facade from H street. I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Ellisjh@
Oct 29, 2017, 7:29 PM
Hello fellow Sacramentans, I'm new to the forum in regards to contribution, but frequent this site often to keep up to date on all current projects taking place around our great city. I just wanted to thank everyone for sharing and keeping us all in the loop. I will try to upload some exciting projects soon taking place in my neighborhood. Have a wonderful day everyone.

ltsmotorsport
Oct 30, 2017, 7:33 PM
Being a courthouse there is usually a 20+ feet floor to ceiling height for courtrooms making it close to 325-340 feet tall. I like the slender style but do a nice crown or even a pointy top to make it interesting however when using public funding its a bit of a streach to do that kind of stuff (although the nearby Federal courthouse has a nice crown with a cool postmodern design).

All good suggestions, and I'd add a spire to the list. I think a different orientation of the tower could be interesting and unique too. Instead of strictly lining up with the grid, the tower element could slightly skew more SW to NE and have a real interest point on the skyline.

SacTownAndy
Oct 30, 2017, 7:52 PM

Found some higher quality renderings here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/57206481/Sacramento-Courthouse

Sac-O-Lantern
Oct 30, 2017, 9:22 PM
Found some higher quality renderings here:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/57206481/Sacramento-Courthouse

The design looks pretty boring, but even worse is that a courthouse is a dead zone most of the time, and in this location you would want something to help "pull" people towards the railyards. Walking over the overpasses will already be necessary, but adding a couple of dead blocks will make it worse.

CAGeoNerd
Oct 30, 2017, 10:42 PM
I like it, as a sort of companion to the Federal courthouse across the street. Would be nice to have something up next to the existing one since it's kind of prominently standing out there alone.

I would like something more interesting but I like that it looks so similar in size/shape to the federal courthouse.

innov8
Oct 31, 2017, 5:21 PM
It was just three years ago this proposal was reduced in both size and budget by the
California Courts Judicial Branch to $300 million and 12 stories. Today the city is
proposing an even larger building than the original design and a larger budget to build
the proposed courthouse. I don’t understand the logic in proposing a structure that
costs more than the cost-cutting proposal of 2012 that the State could not pay for, but
now the city is somehow going cobble together just under $500 million by
selling public land owned by the city and public donations?

Yay, another rendering, hope it can happen.

CAGeoNerd
Oct 31, 2017, 7:43 PM
It was just three years ago this proposal was reduced in both size and budget by the
California Courts Judicial Branch to $300 million and 12 stories. Today the city is
proposing an even larger building than the original design and a larger budget to build
the proposed courthouse. I don’t understand the logic in proposing a structure that
costs more than the cost-cutting proposal of 2012 that the State could not pay for, but
now the city is somehow going cobble together just under $500 million by
selling public land owned by the city and public donations?

Yay, another rendering, hope it can happen.
My guess is that land value has skyrocketed in the past 5 years and makes that cost not as big a deal?

snfenoc
Oct 31, 2017, 10:54 PM
The CADA Condo Project with Cresleigh Homes has been expanded from 78 for sale units to 86 for sale units.

From the Sacramento Business Journal...

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/10/31/more-units-other-changes-for-48-3-million-downtown.html

More units, other changes for $48.3 million downtown Sacramento condo project

7 hours ago

Cresleigh Homes has added more units and made other adjustments to a planned nine-story condominium project in downtown Sacramento.

The project on what Capitol Area Development Authority calls “Site 21,” on the southwest corner of 14th and N streets, would have 86 for-sale condominiums, up from 78 in a previous version of the plan...

I'm a little more optimistic about this project than I am for Yamanee. It's a CADA project, and they have been pretty reliable, though they are also very slow. The developer, Cresleigh Homes, is a large company with lots of experience and access to capital. Size-wise, the proposal is big enough to challenge the market, but not so large that it is a pipe dream.

ozone
Nov 1, 2017, 12:29 AM
^^^ It ok. Nothing too exciting. If you think this will 'challenge the market" I have to wonder if you are aren't behind the times a little bit?

snfenoc
Nov 1, 2017, 4:29 AM
86 for sale market rate condominiums...I have not seen anything like it since 18th and L lofts.

Pistola916
Nov 1, 2017, 5:50 PM
I wish some of these midrise residential projects being built or proposed were built closer to one another. Like imagine having the 14th and N project and 15Q built across from 19J or next to L Street Lofts. That would be cool to have continuous blocks of midrise residential.

ltsmotorsport
Nov 1, 2017, 7:47 PM
Fill in the areas where we can now, with many different developers, throughout the city, and over time it will create the momentum we all hope for on a larger scale than a single corner or block could allow.

I think the spacing is great and will allow for more and larger projects to fill in the middle ground between these current development sites.

ltsmotorsport
Nov 1, 2017, 7:51 PM
Speaking of 19J...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKynfcIJaOc&feature=youtu.be

snfenoc
Nov 2, 2017, 4:24 PM
Speaking of 19J...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKynfcIJaOc&feature=youtu.be

The video is unavailable. What is it?

yolonative
Nov 2, 2017, 4:27 PM
The video is unavailable. What is it?

It was a bad link. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKynfcIJaOc

LandofFrost
Nov 2, 2017, 4:35 PM
It was a bad link. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKynfcIJaOc

YYYYYAAAAAAY! I'm so happy this is getting built. Need affordable apartments in that area.

ThatDarnSacramentan
Nov 2, 2017, 4:49 PM
If you think this is exciting, just wait for next year.

Ellisjh@
Nov 3, 2017, 7:16 PM
https://youtu.be/fnsbTfyOfdU

Ellisjh@
Nov 3, 2017, 7:17 PM
Here is a video rendering of the outside exterior of the 19th and J project I hope I'm not posting old info my apologies of so.

snfenoc
Nov 3, 2017, 9:30 PM
Here is a video rendering of the outside exterior of the 19th and J project I hope I'm not posting old info my apologies of so.

Seen it before, but I always enjoy seeing it again. Thank you for the post.

CastleScott
Nov 3, 2017, 9:41 PM

This is a great looking project-I hope it gets built as shown.

snfenoc
Nov 3, 2017, 11:17 PM
More good news.

New mixed-use project proposed on J Street

November 2, 2017
Sacramento Business Journal

One of the developers behind midtown Sacramento mixed-use project Young Clifford has another one in the works with a bit more heft.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/11/02/new-mixed-use-project-proposed-on-j-street.html

The highlights:

Developer: Julie Young of Urban Elements
Construction could begin Spring 2018 and be complete by Summer 2019
Number of Floors: 4
Number of Units: 12 for-sale condominiums
Unit Size: About 800 square feet
First Floor Retail: About 4,000 square feet
Pricing: Mid-$400,000s to mid-$500,000s

This is REALLY nice project from one of the developers who gave us that awesome 3-story, 6-unit condo project on Capitol, between 18th and 19th, where Pushkins is located. It'll fill a narrow, empty lot and bring more housing and retail to an already buzzing area. The drawings in the article are cool, but kind of "Meh" to me - at least in terms of color. However, the developer implies the building should be "eye-catching." I look forward to seeing the results in a couple years.

snfenoc
Nov 3, 2017, 11:29 PM
Also, I read a brief article in the Sacramento Business Journal titled, "Recent office market trends suggest new construction is on the horizon," by Ben Van der Meer and published on November 2, 2017.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/11/02/recent-office-market-trends-suggest-new.html

According to an industry expert, leasing, occupancy and rents high enough that new construction may be coming. Speculative construction could return in the next couple years, especially in the downtown Sacramento and Roseville submarkets.

Market-wide, vacancy is a tick under 14%. This is inching closer to the 10-12% vacancy number that is considered a "balanced market." Even better, vacancy among "class A" properties, like the ones we see in downtown Sacramento is only 8%.

Hello Vanir Tower!

downtownserg89
Nov 4, 2017, 2:06 AM
More good news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/11/02/new-mixed-use-project-proposed-on-j-street.html

The highlights:

Developer: Julie Young of Urban Elements
Construction could begin Spring 2018 and be complete by Summer 2019
Number of Floors: 4
Number of Units: 12 for-sale condominiums
Unit Size: About 800 square feet
First Floor Retail: About 4,000 square feet
Pricing: Mid-$400,000s to mid-$500,000s

This is REALLY nice project from one of the developers who gave us that awesome 3-story, 6-unit condo project on Capitol, between 18th and 19th, where Pushkins is located. It'll fill a narrow, empty lot and bring more housing and retail to an already buzzing area. The drawings in the article are cool, but kind of "Meh" to me - at least in terms of color. However, the developer implies the building should be "eye-catching." I look forward to seeing the results in a couple years.

Hey, any chance you can post a screenshot for us non-suscribers to get an idea? :cheers:

snfenoc
Nov 4, 2017, 3:25 AM
I don’t know how to post photos anymore. Flickr’s image hosting does not seem to work. Maybe check the Williams and Paddon architects website?

snfenoc
Nov 5, 2017, 1:39 AM
I don’t know how to post photos anymore. Flickr’s image hosting does not seem to work. Maybe check the Williams and Paddon architects website?

Thank you innov8 for the help.

Below are images from Willams and Paddon, architects for the 24th and J street project by Urban Elements.

These pictures come from the following article:
New mixed-use project proposed on J street
By: Ben van der Meer
November 2, 2017

https://s20.postimg.org/y1bieo125/C9_BAD569-0_C5_D-4_FA5-8239-_F904_D135_B4_C7.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ogrvrsbq1/) https://s20.postimg.org/ogrvrs40d/E94_E81_C2-_FE41-4447-9_F53-_DE91_DF8_A4009.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Like I said, the color scheme is a little blah for my taste, but I like the long and narrow look.

hocobo
Nov 7, 2017, 7:20 PM
What's with this corrugated metal look that's going up all over town? Who decided our city should look like a series of metal sheds?

snfenoc
Nov 7, 2017, 9:30 PM
It’s part of a new architectural style called “Developer Modernism.”

goldcntry
Nov 8, 2017, 3:30 PM
Shanty Town Chic?? :tomato:

CAGeoNerd
Nov 8, 2017, 5:33 PM
It's like they're drawing inspiration from shipping container housing. :shrug:

snfenoc
Nov 8, 2017, 5:53 PM

That might be it! That would be cool. Still, I'd prefer a more colorful palette.

ozone
Nov 8, 2017, 5:59 PM
Thank you innov8 for the help.

Below are images from Willams and Paddon, architects for the 24th and J street project by Urban Elements.

These pictures come from the following article:
New mixed-use project proposed on J street
By: Ben van der Meer
November 2, 2017

https://s20.postimg.org/y1bieo125/C9_BAD569-0_C5_D-4_FA5-8239-_F904_D135_B4_C7.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ogrvrsbq1/) https://s20.postimg.org/ogrvrs40d/E94_E81_C2-_FE41-4447-9_F53-_DE91_DF8_A4009.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Like I said, the color scheme is a little blah for my taste, but I like the long and narrow look.

I'm trying to figure out where this would go exactly. I no longer have a script to the SBJ if they said in the article. :shrug:

I also saw where a stalled mixed-use project at S and 15th might be coming back to life via Sutter Capital Group. And that the parking structure for the big mix-use residential project on L between 20th and 21st Street is nearly complete. It has nice lighting features and what I assume are going to be trellises for plants. I think they did a decent job of making it not look so obviously like a parking garage.

snfenoc
Nov 8, 2017, 8:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out where this would go exactly. I no longer have a script to the SBJ if they said in the article. :shrug:

I also saw where a stalled mixed-use project at S and 15th might be coming back to life via Sutter Capital Group. And that the parking structure for the big mix-use residential project on L between 20th and 21st Street is nearly complete. It has nice lighting features and what I assume are going to be trellises for plants. I think they did a decent job of making it not look so obviously like a parking garage.

I'm not going to do a screenshot. However, if you go to Google Maps (satellite or street view) and type in "2417 J Street," you will see a narrow lot (I think it may be parking for the auto body shop next door) on the north side of the street, between 24th and 25th streets. I assume it would go there, if built. It may also cannibalize the auto body shop? But I'm not sure.

15th and S Development - The Latest:
The article about 15th and S streets seems like conjecture. In fact, it's filed by SBJ under "Connecting the Dots". There's not much to the story, except that Sutter Capital bought the property along with surrounding parcels, which make up the original proposal's footprint, earlier this year. Since then, They have requested a two-year extension of entitlements. That's it. At five stories and 76 units, the original proposal was put on hold due to rising construction prices. Now, the cost of construction is estimated to be 30+ million dollars! (Makes me wonder how a much taller and much larger 19J project is getting built.) Sutter Capital has been active in adaptive reuse and done a few really solid projects. However, I don't think they have attempted a project like 15th and S before. Having said that, they did spend $2.9 million on the property and they are requesting an entitlement extension; so maybe they'll have a go at it? Representatives of Sutter Capital have not made any comments on the proposal.

With regard to the parking structure on 21st and Capitol:
I think that it looks better than most parking garages. However, I prefer that all parking structures be wrapped in housing, though I understand how expensive that would be. Also, it has 11,000 square feet of ground floor retail. A representative for CBRE, the listing agent, hopes to have the retail space filled with a single tenant. I have to wonder what kind of business would take that much space?

An exciting tidbit related to the new parking structure:
The new garage mentioned above is only Phase 1 of a larger project by Pappas Investments. As planned, the project was supposed add include a parking garage and 140 apartments, plus a Whole Foods to Midtown. Of course, we all know Whole Foods is no longer part of the equation. However, the rep from CBRE said he expects demolition of the old parking structure at 21st and L (site of Phase 2) to begin soon. Then construction of Phase 2 would (hopefully) follow not long after. Finally, a replacement for Whole Foods could be announced shortly. I thought Phase 2 was essentially dead and all we'd get is a lousy parking garage. However, it looks like Pappas Investments is still pushing forward!

SacTownAndy
Nov 8, 2017, 9:06 PM

Speaking of shipping containers, I noticed the other day there were a bunch on site now at 19th & L where that shipping container-built Golden Road brewery is going in.

snfenoc
Nov 8, 2017, 10:41 PM
Aaaannnd....here we go:

New apartments planned on lot near Broadway
Posted: November 8, 2017

An empty lot near Sacramento’s Broadway corridor could become the site of 41 apartments across two three-story buildings.

Vrilakas Groen Architects has filed a development application with the city for the 1818 X Street Project, at the address of what’s now an unused parking lot.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/11/08/new-apartments-planned-on-lot-near-broadway.html
https://s1.postimg.org/4f05iww0qn/image001-30.png (https://postimages.org/)

I did not see anything about it being a mixed use project. However, that area already has a lot of stuff; so a pure housing development on a small lot is OK with me.

Other Details:

Units will be 500-900 square feet
Pricing will be market rate
Application requests a variance for less parking than would be required
Application requests a reduced setback

ozone
Nov 9, 2017, 1:07 AM
I'm not going to do a screenshot. However, if you go to Google Maps (satellite or street view) and type in "2417 J Street," you will see a narrow lot (I think it may be parking for the auto body shop next door) on the north side of the street, between 24th and 25th streets. I assume it would go there, if built. It may also cannibalize the auto body shop? But I'm not sure.

15th and S Development - The Latest:
The article about 15th and S streets seems like conjecture. In fact, it's filed by SBJ under "Connecting the Dots". There's not much to the story, except that Sutter Capital bought the property along with surrounding parcels, which make up the original proposal's footprint, earlier this year. Since then, They have requested a two-year extension of entitlements. That's it. At five stories and 76 units, the original proposal was put on hold due to rising construction prices. Now, the cost of construction is estimated to be 30+ million dollars! (Makes me wonder how a much taller and much larger 19J project is getting built.) Sutter Capital has been active in adaptive reuse and done a few really solid projects. However, I don't think they have attempted a project like 15th and S before. Having said that, they did spend $2.9 million on the property and they are requesting an entitlement extension; so maybe they'll have a go at it? Representatives of Sutter Capital have not made any comments on the proposal.

With regard to the parking structure on 21st and Capitol:
I think that it looks better than most parking garages. However, I prefer that all parking structures be wrapped in housing, though I understand how expensive that would be. Also, it has 11,000 square feet of ground floor retail. A representative for CBRE, the listing agent, hopes to have the retail space filled with a single tenant. I have to wonder what kind of business would take that much space?

An exciting tidbit related to the new parking structure:
The new garage mentioned above is only Phase 1 of a larger project by Pappas Investments. As planned, the project was supposed add include a parking garage and 140 apartments, plus a Whole Foods to Midtown. Of course, we all know Whole Foods is no longer part of the equation. However, the rep from CBRE said he expects demolition of the old parking structure at 21st and L (site of Phase 2) to begin soon. Then construction of Phase 2 would (hopefully) follow not long after. Finally, a replacement for Whole Foods could be announced shortly. I thought Phase 2 was essentially dead and all we'd get is a lousy parking garage. However, it looks like Pappas Investments is still pushing forward!

Great info thanks!

2417 J Street? Ok ugh.. that property belongs to my in-laws' family. I knew they had the property up for sale.

I'm interested in seeing if another grocery chain is being considered for the Pappas project. I was never very excited about having a Whole Foods there, mostly because of the traffic congestion it would cause.

That X Street project is right across the street from the freeway. Not my choice of a place to live. It's also probably not a place that's very conducive for retail.

ozone
Nov 9, 2017, 1:20 AM
Speaking of shipping containers, I noticed the other day there were a bunch on site now at 19th & L where that shipping container-built Golden Road brewery is going in.

Yeah I'm not very happy about this shipping-container beer garden for several reasons. I think it's just the wrong use and design for the site. Granted it's better than the janky molding laundromat. if we must have yet another bar.. oh sorry.. "beer garden" I'd prefer local or regional craft breweries and not a subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch. The design already pisses me off how it closes itself off from L Street. At least it’s a less permanent structure.

snfenoc
Nov 10, 2017, 8:16 PM
Great info thanks!

2417 J Street? Ok ugh.. that property belongs to my in-laws' family. I knew they had the property up for sale.

I'm interested in seeing if another grocery chain is being considered for the Pappas project. I was never very excited about having a Whole Foods there, mostly because of the traffic congestion it would cause.

That X Street project is right across the street from the freeway. Not my choice of a place to live. It's also probably not a place that's very conducive for retail.

That's kinda cool...small world. I think the both of you should move to 2417 J when the apartments open and close the loop a little.

I am hoping a Trader Joe's, or Sprouts or other grocery concept (smaller and more affordable than Whole Foods) locates at the Pappas project. Midtown could use another grocery store. This is one project that I've been hoping gets built for close to 10 years. :fingerscrossed:

I did a Google Maps tour of the area, and, I agree, it is not the best location. However, there are homes on both sides of the property, so people do live there. Also, I think the developer may focus the buildings toward the interior (it's supposed to include a courtyard between the two three story buildings). Frankly, I'd rather they orient the buildings toward the alley between X and Broadway and clean it up a little - might be pretty cool that way. Given that the site is a big, unused, shabby-looking parking lot, I'm in complete support of development there.

ozone
Nov 11, 2017, 3:10 PM
^^^I think the both of you should move to 2417 J when the apartments open and close the loop a little.
Ha..er...nope.

Yeah we do need another grocery other Safeway and the Sac CoOp. Trader Joe’s or the Nugget would be my choices. Sprouts is too similar to the CoOp and not as good.

Deno
Nov 21, 2017, 4:01 PM
Possible new health business headquarters moving to Natomas. Anyone know what location it would be? Old arena site?

ltsmotorsport
Nov 22, 2017, 2:01 AM
Not the arena site (as stated in the Bee's article), but somewhere adjacent to I-5. There are very few property owners along the freeway so they hold a lot of land. The Business Journal article was pretty in-depth about the potential deal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2017/11/17/sacramento-strikes-deal-with-health-insurer-that.html

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/10707388/centenenew1.jpg

SacSFChi
Nov 22, 2017, 7:30 AM
Activity on the empty lot on the southeast corner of 8th and J. Appears to be some ground prep. Anyone have the dish on this?

ozone
Nov 22, 2017, 2:57 PM
Activity on the empty lot on the southeast corner of 8th and J. Appears to be some ground prep. Anyone have the dish on this?

I don’t recall there being an empty lot at 8th and J. Are you sure you’ve got the right address?

snfenoc
Nov 22, 2017, 7:30 PM
I don’t recall there being an empty lot at 8th and J. Are you sure you’ve got the right address?

Yeah, there is no empty lot on the SE corner of 8th and J - that's where the 800 J apartment complex is located. The other corners all have buildings as well. Granted, I would love to see new construction on the NW and SW corners - I hate the buildings currently on those sites.

There are other construction sites, potential construction sites and empty lots along the J Street corridor, but none of them fit into the parameters set by SacSFChi. My best guess is that he or she is referring to construction at DOCO - maybe the movie theater expansion - on 5th and J? Of course, it's possible that Vanir Tower (NW corner of 6th and J) or The Metropolitan (NE corner of 10th and J) began construction over night, without any fanfare...There's also a remote possibility that monkeys could fly out of my butt. :D

Can you provide a photo SacSFChi?

Some exciting news...I read in the Sacramento Business Journal that construction of the Marshall Hyatt-Centric (NW corner of 7th and L) hotel "appears to be imminent." I don't love this proposal, but it could sure clean up and liven up that corner.

SacSFChi
Nov 23, 2017, 7:09 AM
Damn, sorry for the confusion. The empty lot at 8th and K, not J. Across K from Renaissance Tower. The lot was full of rather smallish building materials. Now they have done some shallow digging, and moved in a few pieces of new equipment. I live close by and will keep an eye on it. And speaking of K Street, the 700 block is coming along nicely with some of the facades nearing completion.

Pistola916
Nov 23, 2017, 10:36 PM
Damn, sorry for the confusion. The empty lot at 8th and K, not J. Across K from Renaissance Tower. The lot was full of rather smallish building materials. Now they have done some shallow digging, and moved in a few pieces of new equipment. I live close by and will keep an eye on it. And speaking of K Street, the 700 block is coming along nicely with some of the facades nearing completion.

The Kings own the land. They are planning a 5-6 story mixed use building with 150+ apartment units.

j_deguzman10
Nov 26, 2017, 10:54 PM
Hi! I am a new user but I have been searching the forums and discussions of Sacramento for the past few months and I have gained a lot of knowledge because of my research and this forum.

Do you guys think that with the upcoming MLS stadium (Sacramento is pretty much a shoe in according to local news sources and close sources of MLS) we will see the arena effect in The Railyard District, hopefully growing the population of Sacramento and ending the housing crisis and rising rents in Sacramento?

Also, I want your guys thoughts on my hypothesis. So I have been writing email to Mayor Steinberg, Mohanna Development, The Greater Sacramento Economic Council, Fulcrum, among others and when writing about the housing crisis, I came up with this hypothesis. So we all know that the lack of housing construction in Sacramento are forcing Bay Area immigrants to buy homes such as The Creamery, The Mill, and even some affordable housing units like The Ice Blocks, but I was thinking that if Sacramento could start building former highrise projects that have been shelved a long time ago but are still in active proposal like Aura, EPIC, and Capital Grand Tower, it will allow the upper class and the Bay Area residents to settle in those highrises, hopefully then easing the rising rents due to less immigrants outbidding the affordable homes due to the new highrises. Now I know that we don't know how the market will react to these projects, but based off of the Sawyer sales, its been pretty positive imo. Also, with the upcoming 19J, Yamanee (hopefully), and Railyards apartments depending on if Sacramento gets its MLS team, it will show developers how strong the market is and if Sacramento can handle the highrises, which based off of the infamous towers by John Saca, were positive until the market crashed.

Also, I think that with the upcoming deal with Centene, Sacramento will need to start building more to accommodate all those workers (I think its around the 3000-5000 range) and I believe that the workers (presuming that they are mid-high income) will occupy the highrises.

Sorry it's a bit messy and everything but like you guys, I really wanna see Sacramento grow because it has the potential to be like the other booming cities (Raleigh, Austin, Atlanta, San Jose, etc) but we need to start building not only high rises and offices, but also things that will appeal to tourists, like the Powerhouse Science Center.

CastleScott
Nov 27, 2017, 12:21 AM
^ Hi j_deguzman10 and welcome!

As for the MLS stadium it is a big part of the process and I do agree with you something to help attract tourists would be helpful-Sac does need to buld a bit denser and taller in the railyards for a real good boost-heck my old hometown of Denver did a great job although it did bring in high local inflation which made it tough on locals (housing went sky-high there!!)

j_deguzman10
Nov 27, 2017, 1:36 AM
Thank you CastleScott for replying to my post!

Yes I feel like Sacramento should indeed build vertically, especially in areas such as The Railyards, The Bridge District, and hopefully Township Nine if financing can be backed up for that particular project. I always thought that Sacramento has the ability to build vertically and has a lot of potential to, but I think that developers are scared of another recession or housing bubble forming in Sacramento considering how much the city was affected by both. However, I believe that by 1. Building new tourist attractions and high rises to employ the construction sector and bringing in new income through residential tax and 2. Counteracting high rise luxury building with accurately tracking the amount being built and rents or even building affordable housing to appeal to low mid income, a recession or bubble can be avoided.

If anything, the housing crisis and immigration to the coty should be a sign to developers and the city that demand is high in Sacramento and people wanna build and live here, but once again I think that the city and developers want to stay small, which is ok but won’t really help in terms of developing the city and improving the regional economy or even the airport.

CAGeoNerd
Nov 27, 2017, 8:20 PM
Hi! I am a new user but I have been searching the forums and discussions of Sacramento for the past few months and I have gained a lot of knowledge because of my research and this forum.

Do you guys think that with the upcoming MLS stadium (Sacramento is pretty much a shoe in according to local news sources and close sources of MLS) we will see the arena effect in The Railyard District, hopefully growing the population of Sacramento and ending the housing crisis and rising rents in Sacramento?

Also, I want your guys thoughts on my hypothesis. So I have been writing email to Mayor Steinberg, Mohanna Development, The Greater Sacramento Economic Council, Fulcrum, among others and when writing about the housing crisis, I came up with this hypothesis. So we all know that the lack of housing construction in Sacramento are forcing Bay Area immigrants to buy homes such as The Creamery, The Mill, and even some affordable housing units like The Ice Blocks, but I was thinking that if Sacramento could start building former highrise projects that have been shelved a long time ago but are still in active proposal like Aura, EPIC, and Capital Grand Tower, it will allow the upper class and the Bay Area residents to settle in those highrises, hopefully then easing the rising rents due to less immigrants outbidding the affordable homes due to the new highrises. Now I know that we don't know how the market will react to these projects, but based off of the Sawyer sales, its been pretty positive imo. Also, with the upcoming 19J, Yamanee (hopefully), and Railyards apartments depending on if Sacramento gets its MLS team, it will show developers how strong the market is and if Sacramento can handle the highrises, which based off of the infamous towers by John Saca, were positive until the market crashed.

Also, I think that with the upcoming deal with Centene, Sacramento will need to start building more to accommodate all those workers (I think its around the 3000-5000 range) and I believe that the workers (presuming that they are mid-high income) will occupy the highrises.

Sorry it's a bit messy and everything but like you guys, I really wanna see Sacramento grow because it has the potential to be like the other booming cities (Raleigh, Austin, Atlanta, San Jose, etc) but we need to start building not only high rises and offices, but also things that will appeal to tourists, like the Powerhouse Science Center.

I'm hoping the MLS expansion is announced soon, which from what the rumors are will be in the middle of December if we are awarded. I think the stadium will jumpstart development in the railyards, which has taken far to long to get started.

On your point about lowering skyrocketing rents - on the contrary - I'm afraid rents will only become more outrageous as land value downtown rises more. The city is so far behind making housing, the problem is making affordable and moderately-priced housing. Developers put up high-end condos and pricey townhouses here and there, but we need housing for working class and middle class people.

j_deguzman10
Nov 27, 2017, 10:56 PM
I'm hoping the MLS expansion is announced soon, which from what the rumors are will be in the middle of December if we are awarded. I think the stadium will jumpstart development in the railyards, which has taken far to long to get started.

On your point about lowering skyrocketing rents - on the contrary - I'm afraid rents will only become more outrageous as land value downtown rises more. The city is so far behind making housing, the problem is making affordable and moderately-priced housing. Developers put up high-end condos and pricey townhouses here and there, but we need housing for working class and middle class people.

That is true that rents do go up as high rise condos are built, but we need homes for the upper class and high income Bay Area residents if the city wants to build and be more attractive, as those high rises can easily accommodate workers from Centene and wealthy people who want to move to Sacramento and retire or do business in the Capital City.

As for the afforadble housing for the low and mid income, I do not understand why some projects have been on hold for so long like Sacramento Commons in Downtown or Township Nine, as all of them are owned by companies and have been in proposal for a long time, yet nothing seems to be built despite the high demand.

urbanadvocate
Nov 28, 2017, 10:44 PM
Not a huge update but 19J is moving onto the second floor. Love how this project is progressing.

j_deguzman10
Dec 1, 2017, 4:14 AM
I remember seeing 19J while in midtown and I saw the pillars already installed...and I thought to myself "Moe, keep up that momentum"

SacTownAndy
Dec 1, 2017, 5:17 PM
Op Ed piece in the Bee today regarding J st and John Saca. Essentially it sounds like the City is giving him until July to make due on the Metropolitan or lose all entitlements for the property.

Judgment day coming for rich owner of blighted downtown Sacramento block

By Marcos Bretón
December 01, 2017 04:00 AM

Do you know what has happened to improve the worst block in downtown Sacramento since it was profiled in this column last May?

Nothing.

The one-block stretch of J Street between 10th and 11th streets is just as blighted as it was last spring. It remains a wretched eyesore of boarded buildings right next to the stately Citizen Hotel and Cesar Chavez Plaza, which is across the street from City Hall.

In other words, the gateway to downtown Sacramento is just as blighted as it was last year and five years ago and ten years ago. Ten years have passed since this street was zoned for high-rise development, but all that has happened on the block since then are fires, vandalism and graffiti.

On Thursday, a city zoning administrator gave a property owner until July to make good on his plan for high condominiums, a hotel or some combination of the two on one side of the worst block in downtown Sacramento. If John Saca can’t make his condo plan work, and he has no real development successes in Sacramento to prove that he can, then he risks losing his entitlements to build.

Full story here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article187449383.html

ozone
Dec 2, 2017, 12:59 AM
Why do they insist on calling John Saca a "downtown Sacramento developer." He's done shit.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 5, 2017, 1:04 AM
New high-rise state office building coming to downtown Sacramento (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article188038214.html)

I read that and got excited... Then I read it was an 11-story building, at 12th and O Street. Oh well that is good I guess.

"The state has picked a builder to construct an 11-story office building a block south of Capitol Park."

But also:
"The state is also planning a 20-floor high-rise a few blocks west of the project at 1215 O Street. That office building is expected to go in the corner of O and Seventh streets."

Huh? Is this new or is this already known about? Or are they talking about Sacramento Commons?

Pistola916
Dec 5, 2017, 2:18 AM
New high-rise state office building coming to downtown Sacramento (http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article188038214.html)

I read that and got excited... Then I read it was an 11-story building, at 12th and O Street. Oh well that is good I guess.

"The state has picked a builder to construct an 11-story office building a block south of Capitol Park."

But also:
"The state is also planning a 20-floor high-rise a few blocks west of the project at 1215 O Street. That office building is expected to go in the corner of O and Seventh streets."

Huh? Is this new or is this already known about? Or are they talking about Sacramento Commons?

It's new. The state is planning on demolishing some of the old buildings and build new ones.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any renderings, especially if they plan to break ground next summer. Usually a conceptual rendering would be shown a year before actual construction. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

ozone
Dec 5, 2017, 3:53 PM
It’s a SOB. So there’s absolutely no reason to get excited.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 5, 2017, 5:11 PM
It’s a SOB. So there’s absolutely no reason to get excited.

If a 20-story building is going up in Sacramento I'm excited - I don't care if it's SOB or what it looks like really. Any increase in density in our skyline is appreciated!

Korey
Dec 5, 2017, 5:40 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been any renderings, especially if they plan to break ground next summer. Usually a conceptual rendering would be shown a year before actual construction. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Despite the height I am happy they're partnering with Portland's ZGF Architects, they do good stuff imo. I'm looking forward to some renderings.

midtownsacto
Dec 5, 2017, 6:33 PM
There's a rendering on the DGS website:

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/dgs/Home/SacramentoOfficeBuildingProjects/OStreetBuilding.aspx

https://www.dgs.ca.gov/portals/1/O%20street%20photo%201.jpg

Korey
Dec 5, 2017, 6:43 PM
Oh, cool, didn't see those, thank you! I think it looks good, plus there's retail and it (hopefully) furthers the plaza feel that area has.

CAGeoNerd
Dec 5, 2017, 6:44 PM
That looks nice (for a state building!). Are there any renderings for the 20-story building?

SacTownAndy
Dec 5, 2017, 6:58 PM
That looks nice (for a state building!). Are there any renderings for the 20-story building?

Wburg posted a massing rendering for that 20-story one a while back. Just showing it's relative height and massing in relation the the Heilbraun house on the block. IIRC, I believe the last we heard was that actual renderings should be out next year.

j_deguzman10
Dec 6, 2017, 5:12 AM
Did you guys hear about the Railyards project???

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article188001239.html

Renderings of a 277 unit 6 story building will be built between August 2018 and Spring 2019 to the Southwest of the MLS Stadium. From what I read most of the units are going to be market rate.

I hope that this will spark more development in the Railyards district and that construction around the area will be quick, as the article said that the developer plans to start the next project next year. Sacramento really does need the housing and development to show the country that the economy here is strong and that we are a growing city, and can maybe even help other projects like Township Nine, TBD, and the Docks project to grow or start growing.

ozone
Dec 7, 2017, 2:57 PM
If a 20-story building is going up in Sacramento I'm excited - I don't care if it's SOB or what it looks like really. Any increase in density in our skyline is appreciated!

Call me crazy but I actually do care what it looks like. I’ve seen dozens of state office buildings go up. Many promising improved design and ground floor retail. Almost all of these failed to create a vibrant urban environment. Better than a parking lot you say? We’ll see. I might end up missing the parking lot. We deserve better than what the state gives us. We deserve and should start to demand better design. Look at the soul crushing trash we now have to live with because people had a low-bar mentality.

innov8
Dec 7, 2017, 10:22 PM
After all the crap the state has built downtown, I guess most people have just accepted
it as the status quo. It’s certainly a nice rendering, but so was the East End Project and
CalPERS, those were both underwhelming after they were completed. I’m thankful this
is planned for the south side of Capitol Mall where dead zones by state offices are common.

Korey
Dec 8, 2017, 10:41 PM
I noticed the old Murray Industrial building on 8th and T is being cleaned up. Fulcrum/Mark Friedman purchased that half block a couple years ago but has been sitting on it while focused on other projects.

Is this a harbinger of development to come? Insight on the northern end of the block and a nice reuse of the Murray building on the south end sandwiching some housing could be nice.

With R Street pushing west and Sellands/Bike Dog on Broadway just to the south of this site it's in a good location to accelerate Southside Park's activity.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/bob-shallit/article21124602.html

kamehameha
Dec 14, 2017, 5:47 PM
Do you guys have any renderings of the proposed 24 story hotel with a skybridge attached to the renovated convention center?

CAGeoNerd
Dec 14, 2017, 6:16 PM
Do you guys have any renderings of the proposed 24 story hotel with a skybridge attached to the renovated convention center?

First I've heard of that, is this a proposal?

kamehameha
Dec 14, 2017, 7:29 PM
From the Sacramento Bee 12/13/2017

A third piece is a planned hotel.

According to a draft Environmental Impact Report released last month, the city anticipates a 350-room hotel at the site of a current parking lot at 15th and K streets, just east of the convention center. The 24-story hotel would stand 300 feet tall and include a pedestrian bridge to the convention center and an outdoor pool, according to the environmental report.

A hotel developer has not been named. Desmond Parrington, the city’s project manager on the convention center expansion, said he expects the hotel project to move forward once the City Council signs off on financing for the convention facility expansion in March.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article189653719.html#storylink=cpy

CAGeoNerd
Dec 14, 2017, 9:04 PM

According to a draft Environmental Impact Report released last month, the city anticipates a 350-room hotel at the site of a current parking lot at 15th and K streets, just east of the convention center. The 24-story hotel would stand 300 feet tall and include a pedestrian bridge to the convention center and an outdoor pool, according to the environmental report.

A hotel developer has not been named. Desmond Parrington, the city’s project manager on the convention center expansion, said he expects the hotel project to move forward once the City Council signs off on financing for the convention facility expansion in March.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article189653719.html#storylink=cpy

300-foot tall hotel right there? That would be fantastic - but doesn't that go against the building height restrictions right next to the Capitol?

SacTownAndy
Dec 14, 2017, 9:06 PM

Isn't that the lot where the Meridian Plaza Phase 2 office tower was supposed to go a few years back? IIRC, I think the max height on that lot is 300'.

snfenoc
Dec 14, 2017, 10:01 PM
Isn't that the lot where the Meridian Plaza Phase 2 office tower was supposed to go a few years back? IIRC, I think the max height on that lot is 300'.

Yes.