PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Ryan@CU
Oct 1, 2008, 8:34 PM
Wow, lots of hate for 800J street. I actually crashed at my friends place on the 4th floor the other night. Not a bad place.

Majin
Oct 1, 2008, 9:12 PM
They are just jealous of me.

otnemarcaS
Oct 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
Wow, lots of hate for 800J street. I actually crashed at my friends place on the 4th floor the other night. Not a bad place.

I've been there too and it's not too shabby. My friend lives there and she likes to complain mostly about noice from the Friday Night Concerts. Go figure.

One comment about the new Table 260 restaurant that just opened up at street level. I'm not sure they are doing themselves any justice with that dark heavily tinted glass front or windows. What's up with that? If you didn't know a restaurant was there, you wouldn't know a restaurant was there. This ain't Frank Fats. Just drive, or walk, by Mikuni's midtown or Zocalos with their clear windows to see how someone could actually be drawn into checking out those places.

TWAK
Oct 2, 2008, 5:17 AM
so they got low income units aye? That depends, if It counts all income or just taxable income.

innov8
Oct 9, 2008, 2:18 AM
This is the wrong thing to do in so many ways... city officials better hold
the developer to his word or not let him build the project.

Developer wants to bury toxic dirt at Curtis Park railyard site
Tuesday, October 7, 2008 Sac Bee http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1293795.html

The toxic contamination under the old Curtis Park railyard has proved so widespread and expensive to dig up that developer Paul Petrovich now proposes to bury much of it on site rather than ship it away.

After buying the railyard in 2003, Petrovich said he would clean up the entire 72 acres so thoroughly it would be suitable for single-family homes.

His commitment cheered residents in the adjacent neighborhoods of Curtis Park and Land Park. The property's previous owner, Union Pacific, had long resisted scrubbing the property to residential levels.

But the discovery of additional arsenic and lead-tainted dirt in the railyard has made his promise prohibitively expensive to keep, Petrovich said.

Petrovich said he has spent $24 million thus far on the cleanup. The total could rise to $42 million if all the dirt had to be hauled off to Utah in rail cars, he said. Much of that would be covered by insurance, but there is a cap on the amount the insurer will pay, Petrovich said.

In 2003 when UP sold the railyard, Petrovich estimated that the cleanup would cost about $10 million.

"This year we went out and tested, and it just kept getting dirtier and dirtier," he said.

Mounds of tainted dirt waiting to be put somewhere now dot the site, a long rectangle of land that stretches north from Sutterville Road.

Petrovich has asked state regulators to allow him to move some of the contaminated dirt out of the area planned for housing and put it under the section of the property slated for commercial use. The arsenic and lead-laden dirt would then be capped with pavement, clean dirt or building foundations.

All of the area slated for residential development would still be cleaned up to the residential standard.

Such an approach is not unusual, Petrovich noted. It is being used by the developers of the downtown railyard, who plan to pile up contaminated soil and cover it with a park.

Petrovich's plan to keep some of the dirt on the railyard property must be approved by the state Department of Toxic Substances Control.

"We've had some discussions, but we haven't had a formal proposal," said DTSC spokeswoman Carol Northrup. She said the agency has asked Petrovich "for some additional data."

Documents released by the agency show that it is pressing Petrovich to cap the contaminated dirt with a park – where it would be easier to inspect than under commercial buildings. Any change to the railyard cleanup plan would require an amendment and public review, Northrup said.

Petrovich has rejiggered other aspects of his plan for the railyard to make it more financially viable in a difficult market.

Original plans submitted to the city called for 210 single-family homes on the northern half of the site. The southern portion would have contained 310 multifamily units, a grocery store, other retailers and a district that combined ground level offices and stores with housing on top.

Earlier this year, Petrovich told the Sierra Curtis Neighborhood Association he was planning to eliminate the multi-family housing from his plan. The reason: It was too expensive to meet the city's requirement that 15 percent of housing units in the railyard be affordable to low-income and very-low-income residents.

The association objected. Petrovich put 200 multifamily housing units back into the plan and took out a proposed hotel.

After negotiations with the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency, the developer won a tentative OK to meet his affordable housing requirement by dedicating land in the railyard for an 80-unit senior development.

Normally, the agency requires developers in the city to build affordable housing themselves. But the Curtis Park site is "a very expensive development, and we're sensitive to that," said Christine Weichert, assistant director of housing and community development.

The commercial district now includes a movie theater where patrons could eat dinner and sip drinks while watching first-run films.

The number of single-family units has been reduced to 178. Petrovich said construction of the mixed-use district will depend on the market.

Dan Murphy, president of the Sierra Curtis Neighborhood Association, said the group is happy that Petrovich put the affordable housing back in the plan. But it remains concerned about the amount of commercial development in the section just north of Sutterville Road.

"We've consistently thought there was too much commercial that would to add to the traffic on roadways that weren't designed to handle it," he said.

A comment to consider:
rauluu at 6:27 AM PST Tuesday, October 7, 2008 said:

NO, NO, NO, do the job right

I am telling everyone to save this article and others that follow so that future families will know who to sue when the toxins leach to the surface and cause birth defects. Names to remember....Carol Northrup (Dept of Toxic Substance control), Dan Murphy (Pres. of Sierra Neighborhood) and Christine Wichert Asst. Dir. of Sac. Housing and Community Development). Everyone involved seems to want to make this deal work that they our forgetting about the community that will live their. Petrovich needs to do the job right or admit he was taken by Union Pacific (who knew this was going to be very expensive) and turn the property into a park.

9 out of 11 people found this comment helpful.

Surefiresacto
Oct 10, 2008, 9:29 PM
Sacramento Business Journal
by Michael Shaw, Staff writer
Friday, October 10, 2008

The Capitol Area Development Authority said Friday it has received three new development proposals for the East End Gateway site 1ocated on the northwest corner of 16th and N streets, which is currently occupied by a parking lot and small apartment building.

Developer proposals were submitted by the teams at Lambert Development, EM Johnson and Partners, and SKK Development. The proposals consist of both apartment and condominium projects along with neighborhood retail space. The detailed proposals will be made available to the public for review at the CADA board meeting Dec. 12. The board of directors expects to select a project in early 2009.

Lambert, of San Diego, had previously proposed a 15-story condo building for the site, but the shaky housing market and Sacramento’s unproven high-rise track record were likely factors in the project being pulled.

CADA’s exclusive negotiating agreement with Lambert was not extended by the board after it expired in March, and requests for new proposals went out in June.

CADA is a joint powers authority of the city of Sacramento and state government. It is charged with managing and developing housing and retail in downtown Sacramento.

Sachornet
Oct 14, 2008, 10:11 PM
Here's an update on the Citizen from Graswich.

http://cbs13.com/thescoop/The.Scoop.Citizen.2.839504.html

arod74
Oct 15, 2008, 8:20 PM
Nice find Sachornet, the building is really shaping up as something special. The amenities look first rate and the Grange looks incredible. Can't wait for the grand opening...

innov8
Oct 17, 2008, 9:22 PM
Ah, this proposal looks tacky to me... and a gold tower :rolleyes:

World’s Fair dreamer looks to hammer home a Sacramento icon
Friday, October 17, 2008
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2008/10/20/tidbits1.html

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3452/highriseofficespikepx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Local businessman Walter Horsting, who pitched an unsuccessful effort to bring a World’s Fair to the downtown Sacramento railyard in the 1990s, has been trying to rally support for his new idea: a 40-story landmark, in the shape of a piece of railroad history, to rival the likes of St. Louis’ Gateway Arch.

The monument he envisions — an enormous “Golden Spike” — would play up the area’s railroad and Gold Rush-era history. And it wouldn’t cost taxpayers anything if built as an office tower, says Horsting, a vice president at AVI-SPL, a Florida-based company that supplies big video screens for sports stadiums.

He acknowledges that he’s no developer or architect. But he serves on some local committees and he got the Golden Spike into a show at the Sacramento chapter of the American Institute of Architects, which opened a new office on 14th and S streets this summer. The exhibit closed last week; AIA officials said reviews were mixed for the top-heavy monument.

The site where the famous golden spike was hammered in 1869 to signify completion of the transcontinental railroad was in the Utah wilderness. Still, Horsting says, the spike would say more about the region than the “Sacratomato” idea to paint a water tank along Interstate 5 to resemble an epic-scale agricultural product.

Horsting said he’s been in contact with city officials about getting a hearing for the Golden Spike.

TowerDistrict
Oct 17, 2008, 10:11 PM
lol.

The site where the famous golden spike was hammered in 1869 to signify completion of the transcontinental railroad was in the Utah wilderness.

i think he should build it in the Utah wilderness instead. i won't mind a bit.

Fusey
Oct 17, 2008, 10:33 PM
:haha:

What a horrible idea. It reminds me of that giant schlong tower a developer wanted to build in San Diego.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070707/images/tower250.jpg

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070707/news_1m7tower.html

Sandor Shapery says his design is like a flower. A consultant to the Centre City Development Corp. says it looks like a giant phallus.

wburg
Oct 17, 2008, 11:25 PM
It sounds like this is one golden spike that would be better off hammered into the ground...preferably where nobody can see it?

bc sacramento
Oct 18, 2008, 12:29 AM
Ouch! I saw this at the open house for the AIA.
Talk about a "duck"! Something like this shouldn't even get press.

Phillip
Oct 18, 2008, 2:30 AM
It looks like a 40-story Pez dispenser.

travis bickle
Oct 19, 2008, 5:32 PM
Hello All. Just a quick note I thought you may find interesting. As some of you know, I was in Sacramento last week to discuss possible projects with City staff and some other interested parties. Part of the team included the lead planner with the architectural/planning firm that we partner with often and the firm that I feel produces our best work. He is based out of LA and before that worked for several years out of our home office in Washington DC. He is a very east-coast centric guy - typical of many with whom I work. As the Sacramento opportunity progressed, he admitted that he didn't know much about Sacramento and what he did know wasn't too impressive.

Although he was excited by this possible project, I could tell he was a little hesitant about how accepting Sacramento might be toward our ideas. He felt it might be a little too parochial for what we had in mind. I, of course, knew better, but I also know that many people across the country have an idea of Sacramento as it was 20 years ago and not the dynamic place it is today. You know - "Old" Sacramento vs. "New" Sacramento. I also know that you can tell people all you want that this isn't your father's Sacramento, but they really won't believe you until they they see it for themselves.

We toured the city Monday and as the day went on - I could see him getting more and more excited. I could see that the town was exceeding all of his expectations and smashing old stereotypes. He got more enthusiastic as the day went on and by the afternoon was absolutely giddy with the possibilities.

In our private discussions that evening, he couldn't contain himself about what a great place Sacramento was and how he had no idea that there was this "gem" in the Valley that no one knew about (remember - to an east coaster, if they don't know about it, no one does...). Our team went well into the night with the material the City provided and our pens and tracing paper delightedly reviewing the possibilities.

I remained in Sacramento for the next few days meeting with staff and others as we explored what might be possible should we establish a presence in Sacramento. I had hoped to meet with some of you, but the meetings took on a life of their own and far exceeded the original scope. Please accept my apologies.

But my point is that Sacramento is a fabulous place that even the most jaded architectural and planning professionals are beginning to appreciate. It's becoming a destination unto itself - not just a boring spot on the freeway that's close to other places people actually want to go to. The people at the city and other institutions around town aren't bound by any preconceptions of what Sacramento can be. They see what an incredible place it can be. They see how strong it already is and instead of letting that become the limit, they see it as a foundation.

You are living at what is arguably the best time to live in Sacramento ever. You are there when the city is on the threshold of greatness. You are bearing witness to that transformation.

Enjoy it. Embrace it. Love it. Live it.

I envy you.

sactown_2007
Oct 19, 2008, 6:15 PM
OMG!! Is that supposed to be a building??!! LOL!!! Looks like something you would see in Vegas...oh please not Sacramento!! :eek:

Ok anyway, hey here is a quick update to 500 Capitol Mall; I posted more I took while I was down there this morning on the 500 Capitol Mall Forum.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/4.jpg

ltsmotorsport
Oct 19, 2008, 7:49 PM
Great write-up, Travis. What firm are you working for? I just toured 5 firms in Irvine on Friday and was excited by what I saw from each. PM me to talk more specifics. ;)

innov8
Oct 20, 2008, 2:07 AM
OMG!! Is that supposed to be a building??!! LOL!!! Looks like something you would see in Vegas...oh please not Sacramento!! :eek:[/IMG]

So do you like it or not? On the 500 Capitol Mall forum you talk about it as if you do like it... but here not at all :shrug:

I think it's a fine tower and I really dig the glass as it relfects the sky around it.

sactown_2007
Oct 20, 2008, 2:23 AM
So do you like it or not? On the 500 Capitol Mall forum you talk about it as if you do like it... but here not at all :shrug:

I think it's a fine tower and I really dig the glass as it relfects the sky around it.

Oh I was talking about the Golden Spike Building! LOL!!! :) I had not seen that pic until I went on here to post the pics and I was like what is that thing? LOL!!!!!!

Yeah I am really liking 500 Capitol Mall!! It really looks good in person and is a real nice addition next to the Wells Fargo Tower. I do wish it was maybe 10 or more floors higher but it looks so much better than what was there before :yes:

econgrad
Oct 20, 2008, 4:03 AM
Ah, this proposal looks tacky to me... and a gold tower :rolleyes:

World’s Fair dreamer looks to hammer home a Sacramento icon
Friday, October 17, 2008
http://sacramento.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2008/10/20/tidbits1.html

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3452/highriseofficespikepx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:omg: :whatthefuck: :lmao: Looks like a golden snake..

TowerDistrict
Oct 20, 2008, 5:40 AM
You are living at what is arguably the best time to live in Sacramento ever. You are there when the city is on the threshold of greatness. You are bearing witness to that transformation.

Enjoy it. Embrace it. Love it. Live it.

I envy you.

Much appreciated input, Travis. Though I actually envy you, being in a position to impact the community in this city..... well.. and get paid for doing so. haha!

:cheers:

Surefiresacto
Oct 20, 2008, 8:35 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_y674eG9qZW8/SAD9_2zSTEI/AAAAAAAAAQk/UJtmQ2LUDag/s320/DSC07449.JPG
From the David Watts Barton weblog.

Looks like there is a plan in place for the old Rex Cycle location.

Developer and artist honored by sons with project ready for planning board next month
Sacramento Business Journal - by Michael Shaw Staff writer
Friday, October 17, 2008

Developer Michael Heller Jr. is taking public art to new heights in midtown Sacramento — an office building that would serve as a four-story canvas for internationally known artist Wayne Thiebaud.

“The Tribute building,” as it’s being called, would rise on a lot at 20th Street and Capitol Avenue. Heller bought it this summer for a planned collaboration with Thiebaud’s son Paul, an art gallery owner, with the idea of making art a theme throughout.

It’s a tribute to the elder Thiebaud of Sacramento and Heller’s father, Michael Heller Sr., a longtime Sacramento builder and developer who died last year. The families have been close for years.

“I don’t know if in my whole life I’ll have a chance to do something like this,” Heller said at his office in the MARRS building, a project of his that’s been part of the midtown renaissance. “I think this is a … unique project. I don’t believe there is anything like it in Sacramento.

While art will be incorporated throughout the 47,000-square-foot building, the most prominent feature is Thiebaud’s three-sided mosaic on the building’s west side that would be visible from almost any angle on Capitol Avenue. The property is next to railroad tracks, so there’s no neighboring building to block the view of the artwork.

Thiebaud, 87, is recognized as an important contributor to the pop art movement starting with his renditions of ordinary objects such as cakes and pies. The planned mosaic design is a Sacramento River delta scene, a Thiebaud theme of late.

Paul Thiebaud, who owns galleries in San Francisco and New York, would oversee a rotating exhibit of art throughout the new building.

“In Paris about 10 years ago, while looking up at the Eiffel Tower, we made a pact we were going to do a building together,” Paul Thiebaud said of the collaboration with Heller. “It was a matter of time before this came together.”

The project and building design are expected to be reviewed by Sacramento’s Planning Commission and Design Commission in the next month. If everything falls into place, Heller Pacific Inc. plans construction for the spring and completion by mid-2010. The building would be mixed-use, with offices above restaurants or other retail space.

“We’re not through the approval process,” Heller said. “(We hope) the city will embrace this the way the community has.”

Heller has been meeting with community groups and will present the building at a neighborhood association meeting Monday.

Financing the $12 million building is still an issue, but a tenant is already on board, which makes the project more attractive to financial backers. Buehler & Buehler Structural Engineers Inc. occupies a building at 600 Q St. that Heller developed, but the company wants to move into at least a full floor in the new building, about 15,000 square feet. The company would serve as the structural engineer on the project.

“It has the potential to be an iconic building,” said Dave Hutchinson, president of Buehler & Buehler. “With Wayne Thiebaud involved, we ought to get a lot of mileage out of that.”

The company plans to combine its Rose­ville and Sacramento offices at the midtown site while reserving some room to grow, he said.

Heller would move his company’s office there as well. Signing other tenants before construction could help ease financing at a time when commercial mortgages and construction loans have been hamstrung by the global credit crisis.

“This particular building is going to be a statement,” said Ken Turton, a central city specialist at CB Richard Ellis who has represented Heller in lease negotiations for other buildings and will do the same for the Tribute. He said lease rates for Class A buildings in midtown don’t rival skyscrapers, but they are more expensive than an ordinary suburban space. Some tenants are willing to pay a little more for the midtown atmosphere and amenities, he said.

Lionakis Beaumont Design Group is project architect. The exterior walls will be done with four different types of glass, matching the building’s mosaic motif.

The building has a long story. Michael Heller Sr. was a general contractor who more than 50 years ago built the Sacramento Municipal Utility District headquarters, a project that included a very prominent public art mosaic by Wayne Thiebaud. The families became friends, and the two sons maintain a close friendship today.

Heller and his father often ate at The Waterboy restaurant, which is across the street from the Tribute site, formerly home to a ramshackle building.

“He’d point out the window and say, ‘What about that property?’ ” Heller said. When the opportunity came to buy that site, he leapt.

“Suddenly, this project had a lot of emotion for me,” he said. “It’s not just another development.”

thomasdodson2004
Oct 21, 2008, 3:03 AM
Has anyone seen the images for the proposed Sacramento Golden Spike? Check them out on my blog at www.dodsonconsultants.blogspot.com. It is a 40-story building, FYI.

Pistola916
Oct 21, 2008, 4:37 AM
I like the idea of a iconic tower or structure, but the design is terrible.

innov8
Oct 24, 2008, 12:55 AM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4886/500cm420081022mt2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BrianSac
Oct 24, 2008, 3:27 AM
Nice photo, but when are they going to pull-off the blue painting tape? ;)

bc sacramento
Oct 24, 2008, 3:43 AM
talk about a mistake. design commissions are supposed to prevent these things. Blue spandrel? Cmon

tronblue
Oct 24, 2008, 5:29 AM
well, it seems like all that glass in the middle offsets the bright blue. Also, when the sun is directly on it, you don't see much of a contrast. The real problem is not the blue, but the color of the stone work and the red at the lower section. Imagine if the stone was a different color like grey or a possible a teal or greenish grey. The baby poo stone at present creates a nasty contrast. Going to walmart and looking at martha Stewart paint swatches would have saved them all the trouble. But keep in mind the original design for this building had something worse on top.

sacamenna kid
Oct 24, 2008, 6:15 AM
It's an idiotic building, sans any intelligence as a skyscraper. What a sad disa:yuck: ppointment.

TowerDistrict
Oct 24, 2008, 6:19 AM
i used to think it was meant to look like King Tut. But anyone notice the sphinx influence... with the first couple floors jetting out like the paws? and the entry centered on the chest of the beast?

http://www.guardians.net/hawass/images/sphinx3.jpg

ltsmotorsport
Oct 24, 2008, 6:29 AM
I can see that. It also slops towards the backside too.

TowerDistrict
Oct 24, 2008, 6:38 AM
Heh... we nixed the Parthenon and got the Sphinx. Did Kado propose the Taj Mahal before he did the Ziggurat?

BrianSac
Oct 24, 2008, 7:20 AM
At least the pointy top looks kinda cool. :cool: From the Capital lawn it looks taller than the Wells Fargo Bldg. Speaking of which, the US Bank billboard blue light fixture thing looks like a drive-in theater from the back.

ozone
Oct 24, 2008, 5:12 PM
Great news for Cap & 20th. Not boring--I love it! One of the things we love about Midtown is it's funky nature. With the revival of Midtown I was afraid that the suburban chowerheads and their stucco aesthetic were going to strip mall Midtown of it's character. Thank gawd for Michael Heller -he gets Midtown.

Tbo has his studio just down the street. I always love it when the work is being down by someone who lives in the nieghborhood -some how it gives it extra meaning.

OK my 2 cents on the blue sphinx (or whatever nickname it's going by). Is it really that bad? It not a great design and the material choices are a bit garish I'll grant you that- but when you compare it to all the other modern highrises downtown...? What did I say back when they first released the renderings- that it looked like Sacramento would finally be getting one of those sleek 1980's post modern office tower -albit 20 years too late. On the ground the front is rather dramatic -in contrast to the US Bank tower.The worst part of the whole thing is the glass on the parking garage- it just looks weird and hurts my eyes.

ltsmotorsport
Oct 24, 2008, 5:37 PM
It's not that bad, but the horizontal lines really take away from what it could've been. Prime example:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8510/500cm120081022zf8.jpg

It's just so looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

innov8
Oct 25, 2008, 4:16 AM
Here's another I forgot I took.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8797/500cm20081021pe8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Schmoe
Oct 25, 2008, 4:45 AM

That's what she said.

ltsmotorsport
Oct 25, 2008, 7:51 AM
Well, big was actually the word outta her mouth. ;)

Pistola916
Oct 26, 2008, 1:47 AM
Demolition Starts on K Street Revitalization Project
Courtesy of News10

SACRAMENTO, CA - With efforts to revitalize Sacramento's K Street area back on the fast track, crews started demolishing an abandoned building Saturday to make way for a new hotel development.

The property at 816 K Street had been vacant for more than 15 years before demolition crews started levelling the building early Saturday morning.

Earlier this month, the city settled with property owner Moe Mohanna on an $18.6 million deal to buy nine run-down properties on the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street for get the redevelopment plans underway.

The Redevelopment Agency of the City of Sacramento has been working with hotelier Bob Leech, developer of the recently completed Le Rivage Hotel, on building a 400-room hotel and business development on the cleared 800 block.

ltsmotorsport
Oct 26, 2008, 3:50 PM
So this is that building with the crappy old jewelry store facade right?

wburg
Oct 26, 2008, 4:28 PM
Well, crappy new jewelry store facade (compared to the rest of the building) but yeah. The facade was just bolted on metal, underneath was a building at least a century old. Over the past couple of weeks one of the metal grates over the windows was pushed aside and you could see the really nice arched window inside, almost as if the building was peeking out going "is it safe yet?" But it wasn't.

The Bel-Vue Apartments are apparently the next building in line to get knocked down. That building is a city registered landmark, in relatively good shape, and could pretty easily be restored to residential use--and since they are apartments rather than SRO units, not necessarily low-end residential either.

yerfdog
Oct 26, 2008, 6:38 PM
It's not that bad, but the horizontal lines really take away from what it could've been. Prime example:

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8510/500cm120081022zf8.jpg

Well the whole design looks like it's from the 1980s or early 1990s anyway

The tan/brown stone in horizontal, the zigzag tapering on the top. Very similar design to the Wells Fargo Center from 15 years ago..

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/26/92026610_8c8f1b352b.jpg

ltsmotorsport
Oct 26, 2008, 7:04 PM
Same goes for the 'spire' concept going up the middle of the building.

Ryan@CU
Oct 26, 2008, 9:35 PM
I don't think it's that bad. I'd rather have it than a normal building like that one next to it (east)

TowerDistrict
Oct 27, 2008, 10:41 PM
Converting Sacramento alleys into hip retail, housing spots
By Bob Shallit
bshallit@sacbee.com
Published: Monday, Oct. 27, 2008 (http://sacbee.com/latest/story/1348132.html)

San Francisco has its bustling Belden Place, Seattle its Post Alley. Before long, Sacramento could have its own version - neglected back alleys turned into thriving commercial corridors. For several months, a group of business owners, architects and city folks - let's call them "alley cats" - have been discussing ways to make better use of downtown/midtown byways that now are used mainly for storing garbage cans. The logic of their effort is irresistible.

"If you look at the math, alleys are about 10 percent of the land we have," says Rob Kerth, executive director of the Midtown Business Association. "Ten percent of the land going to garbage cans? We need to fix that."

Kerth and others in the unofficial task force are working to identify several alleys and "activate" them as pilot projects: putting in new paving, adding lighting and some modest landscaping. Then they'll bring in restaurants, businesses and even housing. The cost for the basic infrastructure improvements? Probably no more than about $70,000 per alley, says Julie Young, a midtown landowner who is one of the group's founders.

"When you talk about infill, that's not a lot of money," says Young, whose group also is looking at how to accommodate weekly access for garbage trucks and other development hurdles.

One of the likely prototypes - between 17th and 18th streets and between L and Capitol - already has a pioneer: the Old Soul Co. bakery and coffee house, which draws crowds despite its obscure location. Another project site is the alley between 16th and 17th, J and I streets, near Lucca restaurant. Aaron Zeff, the midtown association's president and owner of Priority Parking, hopes to create a "European dining experience" on that block with a coffee cafe and several bistros. Zeff says he eats weekly at Belden Place in downtown San Francisco, hoping to convince one of the eight or so restaurant owners there to take a flyer on Sacramento.

Housing is also part of the alley activation effort, with developer Jeremy Drucker looking to build "green, affordable condos" on the alley-facing ends of deep residential lots. Drucker, who developed the "9 on F" housing complex downtown that incorporates some alley units, says he hopes to break ground on a new alley condo project in the spring. (For details, see his Web site, www.Stitch-space.com (http://www.Stitch-space.com/))

thekid@455
Oct 27, 2008, 10:55 PM
If Heller was smart he would incorporate a Fresh and Easy or Trader Joes into the bottom floor of the proposal. Midtown is in desperate need of a grocery store. Yes there is a Safeway on Alhambra, but that is nearly 15 blocks away. If you want to promote further residential development in the midtown corridor a grocery is going to have to be within walking distance.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_y674eG9qZW8/SAD9_2zSTEI/AAAAAAAAAQk/UJtmQ2LUDag/s320/DSC07449.JPG
From the David Watts Barton weblog.

Looks like there is a plan in place for the old Rex Cycle location.

Developer and artist honored by sons with project ready for planning board next month
Friday, October 17, 2008

Developer Michael Heller Jr. is taking public art to new heights in midtown Sacramento — an office building that would serve as a four-story canvas for internationally known artist Wayne Thiebaud.

“The Tribute building,” as it’s being called, would rise on a lot at 20th Street and Capitol Avenue. Heller bought it this summer for a planned collaboration with Thiebaud’s son Paul, an art gallery owner, with the idea of making art a theme throughout.

It’s a tribute to the elder Thiebaud of Sacramento and Heller’s father, Michael Heller Sr., a longtime Sacramento builder and developer who died last year. The families have been close for years.

“I don’t know if in my whole life I’ll have a chance to do something like this,” Heller said at his office in the MARRS building, a project of his that’s been part of the midtown renaissance. “I think this is a … unique project. I don’t believe there is anything like it in Sacramento.

While art will be incorporated throughout the 47,000-square-foot building, the most prominent feature is Thiebaud’s three-sided mosaic on the building’s west side that would be visible from almost any angle on Capitol Avenue. The property is next to railroad tracks, so there’s no neighboring building to block the view of the artwork.

Thiebaud, 87, is recognized as an important contributor to the pop art movement starting with his renditions of ordinary objects such as cakes and pies. The planned mosaic design is a Sacramento River delta scene, a Thiebaud theme of late.

Paul Thiebaud, who owns galleries in San Francisco and New York, would oversee a rotating exhibit of art throughout the new building.

“In Paris about 10 years ago, while looking up at the Eiffel Tower, we made a pact we were going to do a building together,” Paul Thiebaud said of the collaboration with Heller. “It was a matter of time before this came together.”

The project and building design are expected to be reviewed by Sacramento’s Planning Commission and Design Commission in the next month. If everything falls into place, Heller Pacific Inc. plans construction for the spring and completion by mid-2010. The building would be mixed-use, with offices above restaurants or other retail space.

“We’re not through the approval process,” Heller said. “(We hope) the city will embrace this the way the community has.”

Heller has been meeting with community groups and will present the building at a neighborhood association meeting Monday.

Financing the $12 million building is still an issue, but a tenant is already on board, which makes the project more attractive to financial backers. Buehler & Buehler Structural Engineers Inc. occupies a building at 600 Q St. that Heller developed, but the company wants to move into at least a full floor in the new building, about 15,000 square feet. The company would serve as the structural engineer on the project.

“It has the potential to be an iconic building,” said Dave Hutchinson, president of Buehler & Buehler. “With Wayne Thiebaud involved, we ought to get a lot of mileage out of that.”

The company plans to combine its Rose­ville and Sacramento offices at the midtown site while reserving some room to grow, he said.

Heller would move his company’s office there as well. Signing other tenants before construction could help ease financing at a time when commercial mortgages and construction loans have been hamstrung by the global credit crisis.

“This particular building is going to be a statement,” said Ken Turton, a central city specialist at CB Richard Ellis who has represented Heller in lease negotiations for other buildings and will do the same for the Tribute. He said lease rates for Class A buildings in midtown don’t rival skyscrapers, but they are more expensive than an ordinary suburban space. Some tenants are willing to pay a little more for the midtown atmosphere and amenities, he said.

Lionakis Beaumont Design Group is project architect. The exterior walls will be done with four different types of glass, matching the building’s mosaic motif.

The building has a long story. Michael Heller Sr. was a general contractor who more than 50 years ago built the Sacramento Municipal Utility District headquarters, a project that included a very prominent public art mosaic by Wayne Thiebaud. The families became friends, and the two sons maintain a close friendship today.

Heller and his father often ate at The Waterboy restaurant, which is across the street from the Tribute site, formerly home to a ramshackle building.

“He’d point out the window and say, ‘What about that property?’ ” Heller said. When the opportunity came to buy that site, he leapt.

“Suddenly, this project had a lot of emotion for me,” he said. “It’s not just another development.”

wburg
Oct 27, 2008, 11:15 PM
thekid@455: There is a grocery store about two blocks from 20th & Capitol, the Safeway is five blocks away, and there are two small convenience stores within four blocks. While I'd rather see some kind of neighborhood serving retail there than private offices (like, say, a bike repair shop) a grocery store probably isn't needed right on that corner.

bc sacramento
Oct 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
Wait, how about a Rite Aid. That would be rad! Seriously, some brick veneer, and a horrid Rite Aid sign would rally activate that corner.

Midtown needs more Rite Aids like Whiteney Houston needs crack.

Cynikal
Oct 28, 2008, 5:01 AM
thekid@455: There is a grocery store about two blocks from 20th & Capitol, the Safeway is five blocks away, and there are two small convenience stores within four blocks. While I'd rather see some kind of neighborhood serving retail there than private offices (like, say, a bike repair shop) a grocery store probably isn't needed right on that corner.

Steve Rex is pretty happy in his new space. He can weld and have the lights on at the same time. :) But I get what you are saying.

thekid@455
Oct 29, 2008, 2:15 AM

I forgot about Petrovich's chrome job and horrid Rite-Aid. You have a point that specific location does not need a grocery store. Hopefully he does something interesting with the ground floor. MAARS has been a great hit, so I'm sure this will be just as well planned.

ozone
Oct 29, 2008, 11:44 PM
:previous: Did you even read the article?
Actually this area could use a clean modern market that's stocked with goods that would appeal to urban dwellers like me. I don't like Rick's "Uptown" Market because it's dirty and full of cheap, low-quality goods. I don't always like going to Safeway because it's a suburban-minded store with lots of big sizes that are not easy to carry home when you're on foot. I do think the Cap/20th site is not good for a grocery store though.

The ground floor will be restaurant & retail..no doubt with a coffeeshop/cafe and I guess it's a safe bet that Thiebaud will have a gallery there.

Cynikal
Oct 30, 2008, 3:43 PM
From what I've heard (and I can't repeat) you will get your wish at the Uptown Market.

sugit
Oct 30, 2008, 4:50 PM
From what I've heard (and I can't repeat) you will get your wish at the Uptown Market.

I've heard the same thing (if we are referring the same thing)....I think people are going to happy with what is going to happen over there.

wburg
Oct 30, 2008, 5:07 PM
I guess I've had different experiences at Safeway. They have big sizes of things, but also small sizes...typically when I go I bring along a rolling "granny cart" so I can carry more stuff home. I'm not sure what a "suburban-minded" store is, but a week's worth of groceries tends to take up about the same amount of space whether it is "urban" or "suburban" food.

Where did you see the bit about restaurant and retail, ozone? Everything I have seen so far indicates that it's just going to be an office building, and rather than having a specific gallery, they're going to show Thiebaud's work throughout the office building.

ozone
Oct 30, 2008, 5:23 PM
I've heard the same thing (if we are referring the same thing)....I think people are going to happy with what is going to happen over there.

Why can't you repeat it Cynikal? Come on stop being so elusive ..if you gossip we won't tell anyone else. What were you sworn to secrecy on fear of death?

wburg I'm just assuming that some sort of retail space will be included but I could be wrong. Having lived in big crowded cities I can tell you there's a difference between what is typically stocked at urban stores and what is typically stocked in suburb stores. But I'll give you an example of what I mean. I went to buy a case of Pepsi the other day at Safeway and all they had were large cases which I didn't feel like carrying home because I was on foot. I know that Ricks and sometimes the K/17th Longs sells cases half the size which are more portable. True Safeway is not Costco but it's still not marketing to the Midtown lifestyle like it could.

bc sacramento
Oct 30, 2008, 6:59 PM
There's no secrets or gossip about this project.
Just read the staff report for design review.

http://www.cityofsacramento.org/dsd/meetings/commissions/design/2008/documents/DR08-225_StaffReport.pdf

wburg
Oct 30, 2008, 7:01 PM
A "case" of soda is normally 24 cans...they didn't have 12-packs or 6-packs? I find that a bit hard to believe, I see 6-packs and 12-packs of soda there all the time, and have bought them there.

Cynikal
Oct 31, 2008, 4:20 PM

I think so to.

Cynikal
Oct 31, 2008, 4:24 PM
Where did you see the bit about restaurant and retail, ozone? Everything I have seen so far indicates that it's just going to be an office building, and rather than having a specific gallery, they're going to show Thiebaud's work throughout the office building.

At the community meetings for the Tribute Buildings Heller was very clear that a restaurant and retail use would be on the first floor and utilize the over hang for outside eating. I was surprised that he mentioned the restaurant because that shoots his parking requirement through the roof and there are enough parking issues with the building, but he is working with City staff to find a solution.

snfenoc
Oct 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
From the Business Journal:

Friday, October 31, 2008
Hotel Berry renovation deal collapses

Even a chance at lower taxes wasn’t incentive enough to attract backers to refurbish a decaying downtown residential building, which could leave the city of Sacramento as its owner.

Developers and the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency have pulled the plug on renovating the Hotel Berry downtown because investors weren’t interested — another consequence of the turbulent economic times.

The plan was to sell $13.6 million in federal tax credits; the proceeds would go toward a major overhaul at the 115-room former hotel at 729 L St., which is occupied but, a developer’s report found, in poor condition. The city’s goal is to provide more low-income housing units and fix existing ones.

The Hotel Berry renovation was expected to cost upwards of $20 million, but investors never got on board. The global credit crisis stemming from the subprime mortgage mess, bank failures, bailouts and buyouts cut short the renovation plans, said Jim Hare, assistant director at the redevelopment agency.....

(I don't have access to the rest, and I sure as sh*t ain't paying for access.)

sactown_2007
Nov 1, 2008, 5:06 PM
From the Business Journal:

(I don't have access to the rest, and I sure as sh*t ain't paying for access.)

:previous:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

sugit
Nov 1, 2008, 5:34 PM
Since Steve is too damn cheap....;) j/k

Too bad ...that's 13M in Federal money that the city is going to lose and will probably go to another city now.

Maybe I'm missing something, but 13.6M, plus the 5M the city is kicking in only leaves 1.4M left to fund...that's sure doesn't seem like much.

I guess only getting 80 cents on the dollar for the tax credits is the big issue.

Hotel Berry renovation deal collapses
Even a chance at lower taxes wasn’t incentive enough to attract backers to refurbish a decaying downtown residential building, which could leave the city of Sacramento as its owner.

Developers and the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency have pulled the plug on renovating the Hotel Berry downtown because investors weren’t interested — another consequence of the turbulent economic times.

The plan was to sell $13.6 million in federal tax credits; the proceeds would go toward a major overhaul at the 115-room former hotel at 729 L St., which is occupied but, a developer’s report found, in poor condition. The city’s goal is to provide more low-income housing units and fix existing ones.

The Hotel Berry renovation was expected to cost upwards of $20 million, but investors never got on board. The global credit crisis stemming from the subprime mortgage mess, bank failures, bailouts and buyouts cut short the renovation plans, said Jim Hare, assistant director at the redevelopment agency.

“What has occurred is a massive credit freeze,” he said. “It penetrated the market for the sale of low-income housing tax credits.” Hare said the credits aren’t directly tied to the lending crisis, but the general financial turmoil has investors on edge and unwilling to put money in even relatively safe investments.

“There’s a lot of irrationality out there,” he added.

The credits were awarded in July, and the redevelopment agency had just a few months to find investors because credits expire if they’re not exercised. With profits down nationwide and fewer companies needing tax breaks, there’s little competition for credits. In the past, credits sold for nearly face value, but now they’ve dropped to about 80 cents on the dollar, Hare said.

That means the city will have to come up with a new plan. There’s no guarantee the credits will be awarded again; they’re doled out by a state panel through a highly competitive process, and the Hotel Berry received them only after another project was disqualified.

The city, through its redevelopment agency, spent $5 million to help nonprofit agency Trinity Housing Foundation of Walnut Creek acquire the property last year. Because city funds were used, Sacramento technically owns the hotel, and it may return officially to city hands if Trinity isn’t prepared to hold onto it long term.

Hare said a new redevelopment plan could be ready for presentation to city officials by January or February, but details were not available.

The former hotel is a single-room occupancy (SRO) apartment building, a form of affordable housing for single and elderly residents. Rooms in SROs typically have sinks and closets, but bathrooms, showers, kitchens and other rooms are usually communal. AF Evans Co. Inc. of Oakland was the project developer.

The renovations were expected to add small kitchens to each unit, replace drafty windows and ensure that the building is structurally sound and complies with city codes.

Representatives from AF Evans and Trinity Housing could not be reached for comment.

Sacramento has been trying to increase the number of such rooms in the city, hoping to reach 1,000 single-room occupancy units. There are now about 700 such rooms downtown.

The problems in funding the Hotel Berry renovation are not surprising, industry observers said.

“We’re not getting the prices we were getting even six months ago,” said Paul Ainger, a senior project developer for nonprofit Mercy Housing California, a developer of low-income housing that is not involved in the Hotel Berry project. “The yields (investors) are receiving are much higher.” He said projects that would draw six or seven investors seeking the credits in the past are now drawing two or three.

Mortgage lenders Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were major investors in such tax credits but have been absent from the market since the government takeover in September. That has reduced competition and driven down the returns for those selling credits.

“Another factor is companies aren’t making earnings, so they don’t need the credits,” Ainger said. He said Mercy still is able to develop low-income housing, but the environment has become more challenging.

TowerDistrict
Nov 5, 2008, 7:42 PM
http://www.hellerpacific.com/images/marrsphase2/03.jpg

MARRS Phase II

from the Heller Pacific website (http://www.hellerpacific.com/marrsphase2.php?grp=06)...

“I had so much fun with MARRS. It was incredibly rewarding. So why not develop a second phase? One that talks to MARRS at the street level with pedestrian focus? So we purchased approximately 1/2 of the city block directly across the street from MARRS and are really excited about another project in this neighborhood. We are trying to determine what uses are missing from the Midtown experience and then target them. Perhaps an urban grocery store or destination entertainment complex? It is very early but you never know. It is going to be another enjoyable journey to find out.”

http://www.hellerpacific.com/images/marrsphase2/marrs2.gif

This would share the same block as the soon to be former location of Sac News & Review. I presume it would occupy the parking lot on the corner of 20th & J. But I don't understand what I'm looking at in the rendering above?

sugit
Nov 5, 2008, 9:32 PM
Very cool. I love the MARRS building.

Like you said, I have to assume they will reuse the News and Review building, and maybe build something new on the parking lot.

TowerDistrict
Nov 5, 2008, 10:01 PM
Actually, that's what I'm not clear on... Would the project involve the SN&R building, or be strictly new construction on either side? I can't even tell what the rendering is showing? Is that J Street on the bottom-right corner and MARRS in beige on the top-right corner? Which buildings would be new in that rendering?

Echo Park
Nov 5, 2008, 10:03 PM
A surface parking lot is part of that project? Lame.

TowerDistrict
Nov 5, 2008, 10:05 PM

If I'm right about what that's showing, it would cut the parking lot in half. The parking lot is already there - not a new component to the project.

sugit
Nov 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Actually, that's what I'm not clear on... Would the project involve the SN&R building, or be strictly new construction on either side? I can't even tell what the rendering is showing? Is that J Street on the bottom-right corner and MARRS in beige on the top-right corner? Which buildings would be new in that rendering?

Yeah, I have a hard time telling from the rendering as well. I know the SN&R building has been for sale for a while (including the parking lot), but still can't tell what the project would footprint would entail.

Dakotasteve66
Nov 5, 2008, 10:18 PM
My assumption is that the smaller red building is the existing News and Review, and the smaller orange building would be new. The larger red building already exist. The other buildings are far out of scale for the existing Wells Fargo and McMartin realty.

As far as the parking lot goes, my assumption is that the parking lot shown is not part of their 1/2 city block purchase. I believe there is a smaller parking lot next to the News and Review building that they are proposing to build on (the small orange building). The larger parking lot behind News and Review shown in the picture, most likely is owned by someone else.

Cynikal
Nov 6, 2008, 12:12 AM

I believe the blue structure with the cars on the top is a parking structure. Although at around $30,000 a space I doubt that will get built. Heller doesn't build parking he gets it waived.

ozone
Nov 7, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm having a hard time figuring out MARRSII but I think you guys have it right. The red/tan are existing, orange will be new and the grey-blue is the parking structure. Looks like the Wells Fargo and McMartin Realty will be replaced.

I think a parking structure will be required here considering the congestion. I do not think they could get a waiver here -besides they'll need a garage to make the project work.

Tenebrist
Nov 7, 2008, 5:01 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/oigibrist/03.jpg

ozone
Nov 7, 2008, 7:33 PM
I think a gay-friendly mid-rise hotel fit nicely where the Native American Health Center it's parking lot is today.

LandofFrost
Nov 7, 2008, 8:02 PM
Hmm it looks like that large surface parking area is owned by, MIDTOWN BUILDING INVESTMENT CO, but the Wellsfargo/Real Estate office and the old News and Review are owned by MARK L FRIEDMAN/MARJORIE SOLOMON FAMILY TRUST/ETAL. My guess is that the latter is the one working on the new Marrs project and most likely the MIDTOWN BUILDING INVESTMENT CO is not, so that is why their parking lot and their Native American Medical building are ignored in this picture.

sactown_2007
Nov 9, 2008, 4:00 AM
The new Mortons in The US Bank Tower

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/1-1.jpg

I also took some new ones from today of 500 Capitol Mall which I just posted on the 500 Capitol Mall Forum; here is a view from Old Sac

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/philip_bryant/10.jpg

What is a Rivercat?
Nov 12, 2008, 4:58 PM
don't know where else to mention this but the fed court house building was lit last night. First time I've ever seen it. Looked great.

Majin
Nov 12, 2008, 5:54 PM
Noticed the same thing, I guess because it was veterans day. I wish they would turn it on all the time.

TowerDistrict
Nov 12, 2008, 6:53 PM
They lit it up on Election day as well. That was actually the first time I'm seen it lit.

snfenoc
Nov 12, 2008, 7:47 PM
New Faze files for bankruptcy protection on three projects
Del Paso Nuevo, Alchemy @ R Street and Sun Meadows in Chapter 11
Friday, November 7, 2008 | Modified: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 5:00 AM

New Faze Development Inc. had ambitious plans to build housing in Sacramento’s struggling neighborhoods, from hip, urban projects to those aimed at fixed-­income seniors, but lately the company has had struggles of its own.

Three New Faze subsidiaries have filed for bankruptcy protection, actions the company says were necessary to avoid foreclosure by lenders that were unwilling to rework loans and, in some cases, unwilling to even return phone calls.

The latest New Faze company to seek protection was Alchemy at R LLC, which built a signature project of the same name on the 2600 block of R Street aimed at the trendy set looking to live in midtown. It filed a Chapter 11 petition to reorganize on Oct. 31 after lender PFF Bank & Trust sought a foreclosure sale of the eight condos and 15 apartment units. The project now sits empty even though the company found willing buyers for some of the condo units, said Terence Kilpatrick, in-house counsel for New Faze.

In the past month and a half, New Faze affiliates also have filed Chapter 11 reorganization cases to head off foreclosure at Sun Meadows, a 55-and-older community of 136 homes alongside distressed south Sacramento neighborhoods, and Del Paso Nuevo, a plan for 95 homes, many of them priced for low-income buyers, in Del Paso Heights.

Bankruptcy reorganizations can provide breathing room for business owners, staying foreclosures and allowing them to develop payback plans over several months.

Parent company New Faze says it is surviving the housing slump and has no plans to seek bankruptcy protection. “I think the company overall is in good shape,” said Kilpatrick, who has been trying to work out deals to extend or rework loans. “These are single-asset real estate cases.”

New Faze was launched by Del Paso Heights native Allen Warren to build housing in many of Sacramento’s poorer neighborhoods, as well as compete with infill developers at sites around the urban core. It had many projects cooking as housing prices soared. Now it’s trying to salvage those ventures.

At odds with the bank
New Faze’s problems at Alchemy and Sun Meadows stem from loans from PFF Bank & Trust, formerly Pomona First Federal Bank, a Rancho Cucamonga-based lender that was heavily into real estate development loans. The bank reported a combined loss of $243 million over the past three quarters and is in the midst of a sale to FBOP Corp., the parent of California National Bank. Shareholders have approved that sale and it is expected to close by the end of the year.

PFF Bank representatives declined to comment for this story.

“The bank basically backed us into a corner,” said Kilpatrick of the bankruptcies. He said he’s been unable to talk with bank employees for months and has been referred only to lawyers, who have been unwilling to extend loan deadlines.

“Their answer was, ‘We’re not interested. We’re going to sue you,’ ” he said.

Most of the 136 homes at Sun Meadows, situated off Franklin Boulevard, are complete and occupied. At issue are 27 houses that are nearly done but lack some interior amenities. Kilpatrick said PFF still has about $600,000 in a construction loan account that could be used to finish the homes and put them on the market, but the bank refused to release the money. Instead the bank requested and got a court-ordered receiver to control the unfinished homes, though little action has been taken with them, according to New Faze. The company has resorted to renting out some of the other finished-but-unsold homes at Sun Meadows as housing prices plummeted, which caused a stir among homeowners.

Warren initially sought help from the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency to finish the 27 homes, but the development is outside the agency’s jurisdiction, said SHRA spokeswoman Angela Jones. She said the agency could provide down payment assistance programs that could help buyers move in, but it would not be involved beyond that.

According to bankruptcy court documents, New Faze owes PFF $6.5 million on the Sun Meadows loan. The debts at the Alchemy project are less clear because bankruptcy schedules of debts and assets have not yet been filed, but debts have been estimated at less than $10 million.

Kilpatrick said PFF’s moves will hurt the bank in the long run. New Faze had buyers and renters lined up at the Alchemy project, but PFF wouldn’t allow sales because they were below the bank’s release prices, he said. That’s despite the fact that homes and apartments will eventually have to be sold even if the bank were to gain control.

Bank sought to repossess del paso
The Alchemy project is one of several in central Sacramento that was envisioned as part of an urban rebirth in the city.

“It’s got that cool, hip feel,” said Lori McGuire, president of McGuire Research Inc., a new-home analyst company. But she said other products had more marketable floorplans that could draw comparatively higher prices.

She said, however, that she has been impressed with New Faze’s ownership.

“Allen has a dynamic vision that might not be completely feasible at this time but will be realized in the future,” she said. “He has a way of making things happen.”

SHRA was the driving force behind redevelopment at Del Paso Nuevo, a large series of blocks being recast by several developers, including New Faze — on land the agency had previously acquired and assembled. Nuevo Partners LLC, a New Faze subsidiary, filed Chapter 11 in late September to avoid foreclosure on its portion of the property by First Northern Bank of Dixon, which is owed $7.3 million.

Complicating the matter, SHRA is still owed the money from when it sold the property to New Faze. The deal called for New Faze to repay the agency as homes were sold, but the project ran into financial problems after model homes were built. According to the bankruptcy filing, Nuevo Partners owes the agency $930,000.

“New Faze is still working on a plan to keep the project financially moving,” said Christine Weichert, an assistant director at SHRA. Kilpatrick said he believes the agency’s development agreement allows it to control development on the property regardless of the ownership, meaning taxpayer money might not be at risk.

SHRA briefly considered buying back the lots this summer for less than it sold them to New Faze, but ultimately decided against it.

Kilpatrick said First Northern reworked other loans with the company, but no agreement could be reached for the Del Paso project.

http://assets.bizjournals.com/story_image/211041-0-0-2.jpg
Alchemy @ R Street is one New Faze project that is in bankruptcy.
The company is trying to save two other projects as well.

Steven Fong
Nov 13, 2008, 8:10 PM
http://www.nlarch.com/CurrentEvents/images/NLA_Gasification.jpg

I thought I'd share a promotional video we developed to introduce the proposed USST Waste to Energy Gasification Plant in Sacramento.

http://www.nlarch.com/CurrentEvents/index.html
Click on the "Project Updates" bar for the video and more info.

Phillip
Nov 14, 2008, 1:05 AM
Three New Faze subsidiaries have filed for bankruptcy protection, actions the company says were necessary to avoid foreclosure by lenders that were unwilling to rework loans and, in some cases, unwilling to even return phone calls.

Every bankruptcy is bad news but it's especially sad about New Faze. With their talent, vision, social consciousness, and deep local roots I think a lot of Sacramentans wanted to see New Faze prosper and grow. It's another case of colossal bad timing. Hopefully they'll be able to pull through this.

I noticed the condos at 1600H (not a New Faze project) have stopped selling and reverted to rentals. Has anybody looked at these? Is the traffic noise from 16th Street loud? They're so close to the busy street that it looks like noise could be an issue but if they were built with good windows it might not be.

arod74
Nov 15, 2008, 8:08 PM
http://www.nlarch.com/CurrentEvents/images/NLA_Gasification.jpg

I thought I'd share a promotional video we developed to introduce the proposed USST Waste to Energy Gasification Plant in Sacramento.

http://www.nlarch.com/CurrentEvents/index.html
Click on the "Project Updates" bar for the video and more info.

This looks like a pretty nice project Steven but I can't get the video to play. Do you work for Nacht & Lewis or just the company that produced the video?

ltsmotorsport
Nov 15, 2008, 8:33 PM
Just click on the high resolution link under the video screen. Worked for me.

So where in Sacramento is this being built?

Steven Fong
Nov 16, 2008, 5:36 AM
Yes, I work for Nacht & Lewis. The location is yet to be disclosed, as far as I know.

singlecell
Nov 18, 2008, 1:57 AM
Another project by NLA : DGS Central Plant Renovation : 8th & Q St.

Don't recall seeing these images posted..Some aspects of this look pretty nice! LEED Gold as well. :)

http://www.nlarch.com/portfolio/gov_dgs_cup.html

http://dgscentralplant.com/NE%20Rendering.jpg

http://acimages-us.com/images/0223NLA-BMMcopp-12inches.jpg

singlecell
Nov 18, 2008, 2:00 AM
http://web.arc.losrios.edu/images/FAA.jpg

link to ARC news page (http://search.arc.losrios.edu/cgi-bin/webdata_survey.pl?cgifunction=Search)

Does anyone have any other images/ info about this project?

Majin
Nov 18, 2008, 2:04 AM
Who cares? ARC is in the sticks.

singlecell
Nov 18, 2008, 2:15 AM
Who cares? ARC is in the sticks.
true, however at least ARC appears to have the where with all to get together a somewhat interesting looking project..(at least compared to the hectares of tacky crap out here..)
and as a resident of "the sticks", i'll take what i can get. ;)

tronblue
Nov 18, 2008, 5:03 AM
In the sticks? Its a 12 min drive from ARC to Downtown. Atleast 38000 students on campus this fall. Hardly the sticks. I work there and I've taken several photos of many of the projects that Measure K helped to build. I'll post them as soon as soon as I get unbusy (unlazy), in the Higher education thread. Besides the new art building, the remodeled Library will be going up at the same time. About nine buildings have been build on campus in the last five years. They have a great track record for getting things done if their is money to pay for it. Thanks to anyone that voted yes on M.

Majin
Nov 18, 2008, 6:59 AM
Anywhere outside of city limits is the sticks.

LandofFrost
Nov 18, 2008, 7:14 PM
I'm not surprised Alchemy is in bankruptcy; those units are selling for waaaay more then they should be. I've always been of the opinion that if you are going to be right next to the welfare department, bums and constant train noise, it should be reflected in a lower price.

wburg
Nov 18, 2008, 7:30 PM
Got some advance notice about a project planned for 20th & Capitol, kitty-corner from the Heller project. The building is going onto an unusually-shaped L-shaped lot, a consolidation of two former 40x80 residential lots. Three stories (plus a top level to hide mechanicals) with retail on the ground and office above. They're asking for two variances: reduced setback (7.5 feet) and off-site parking (the same family that owns the lots owns the parking area at 21st & Capitol.)

The back side is kind of unusual: it has trellises to encourage ivy or other plant growth up the side of the building. The building is kind of busy, but I kinda like elements of it, like the arches at ground level and the bays along the 20th Street side.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/Jetrock/20thCap.jpg

Cynikal
Nov 18, 2008, 8:38 PM
Looks like the Pappas family is finally doing something with that lot.

Sachornet
Nov 18, 2008, 11:19 PM
Only about 12 more days until the Citizen opens

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1406413.html

thekid@455
Nov 19, 2008, 1:38 AM
Heller's Tribute Building. It looks pretty nice. The City stated they do not want any mirrored glass. Heller is going to use a mosaic type of glasswork to build contrast throughout the curtain.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp14/thejdmkid1/heller-2.jpg

ozone
Nov 19, 2008, 5:33 AM
wburg this is across 20th from Jack's Urban Eats right? So it looks like like the two houses are going to remain. I had heard that there was an attempt to move them.

What is a Rivercat?
Nov 19, 2008, 4:07 PM
the Bee has a groovy little slideshow of the Citizen's Hotel

http://www.sacbee.com/photos/gallery/1405718.html

Ryan@CU
Nov 19, 2008, 8:35 PM
the Bee has a groovy little slideshow of the Citizen's Hotel

http://www.sacbee.com/photos/gallery/1405718.html

I'm going to an event held there by Capital Public Radio in December. Can't wait.

sugit
Nov 20, 2008, 6:04 AM
This one is planned by the city for that strip of land directly by the lightrail stop on 12th street.

Prime spot for something like this.

La Valentina Station
12th and D/E Street
Housing Units - 63

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/southwestview-sm.slideshow_main.jpg

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/southelevation.slideshow_main.jpg

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/northwestview-sm.slideshow_main.jpg

http://www.dbarchitect.com/images/dynamic/slideshow_images/image/kmsketch2008.08.27smaller.slideshow_main.jpg

Plus some news on funding the city has acquired...

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 4:54 PM PST
Pollution clean up grants given to railyards, other projects
Sacramento Business Journal - by Celia Lamb Staff writer

The Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency received a $218,150 grant for La Valentina, a 64-unit project planned in the Alkali Flats neighborhood.

ozone
Nov 20, 2008, 7:09 AM
:previous: Looks good. It looks like it's going to be 'green' as well.