PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Proposal/Approval/Construction Thread - III

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81

kamehameha
Nov 17, 2020, 8:13 PM
Looks like they're getting busy at the site of the new 18 story courthouse. Just drove by a few minutes ago.

SacTownAndy
Nov 18, 2020, 11:29 PM
^ Same here. Just drove by. The site is fenced off and crews were working.:tup:

SacSFChi
Nov 20, 2020, 6:26 PM
Yep, ground prep on the new courthouse plot started in earnest a few days ago. There is so much activity going on right now from H up to Railyard Ave, and 5th to 7th. This is going to be awesome to watch all of this construction moving forward.

kamehameha
Nov 20, 2020, 7:08 PM
Next stop is the MLS stadium

gillynova
Nov 20, 2020, 9:23 PM
I'm waiting for the day you guys break ground on the MLS stadium. That would be HUGE for Sac

novatone82
Nov 22, 2020, 4:33 PM
Just got word from a friend involved with the courthouse project. Fencing for the site to be delivered next Monday (16th). G St between 6th and 7th will be blocked off starting Tuesday with construction to follow. Estimating a 36mo construction schedule.

There was a slight debate about how tall this court house is going to be , does your friend or you have any details on height ? according to Sac county web site its going to be 270 feet 18 stories , some say 365 feet 18 stories , I even seen a article saying it was going to be 16 stories and one at 17 stories ?:shrug:

mindbender
Nov 23, 2020, 4:58 AM
There was a slight debate about how tall this court house is going to be , does your friend or you have any details on height ? according to Sac county web site its going to be 270 feet 18 stories , some say 365 feet 18 stories , I even seen a article saying it was going to be 16 stories and one at 17 stories ?:shrug:

"Building is approx. 537,000 square feet - 18 stories including the mechanical floor - 11 elevators - 53 courtrooms." Is what she sent me.

I'll see if I can find out the height.

downtownserg89
Nov 23, 2020, 7:36 AM
Do we have any other angles of this courthouse? I've only seen that one main rendering that's facing south with the other courthouse lurking in the back. What do the other sides look like? Looking forward to the new addition to our skyline, even if it's just a stubby building.

SacSFChi
Nov 23, 2020, 5:47 PM
... and the excavation for the new courthouse has begun!

kamehameha
Nov 24, 2020, 6:57 PM
Have you guys heard anything about the two proposed mix use highrises that suppose to start construction before the end of the year?
15 storey Canopy Hotel
15 storey 10th and K by Mohana

TWAK
Nov 24, 2020, 7:00 PM
"Building is approx. 537,000 square feet - 18 stories including the mechanical floor - 11 elevators - 53 courtrooms." Is what she sent me.

I'll see if I can find out the height.
Aren't the ceilings higher for courthouses, so that's why there have been different heights?

enigma99a
Nov 24, 2020, 7:20 PM
The renders show it similar in height to the federal courthouse. So we'll see

SacTownAndy
Nov 24, 2020, 9:26 PM
The Federal Courthouse is what 16-17 floors at 350ft. Unless the floor heights are going to be much lower, I can't imagine the new building being much shorter than the existing courthouse. But who knows... :shrug:

innov8
Nov 24, 2020, 11:04 PM
Section 3.1 in the New Sacramento Courthouse Addendum from March 2018
has it at 270'. Those renderings are deceiving, it does look to be at the height of the Fed. court house.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/facilities-New-Sacramento-Courthouse-Addendum-1-of-2.pdf

mindbender
Nov 24, 2020, 11:43 PM
My contact associated with the project says the current height is ~302ft, but she didn't specify if that is to the roof, or the parapet, or the mechanicals.

Pistola916
Nov 25, 2020, 12:09 AM
My contact associated with the project says the current height is ~302ft, but she didn't specify if that is to the roof, or the parapet, or the mechanicals.

Great, we'll never know what the official height is. J/K.

Also, I haven't seen a single rendering of what the south facade looks like. I believe that would be the H street perspective. is there one?

urbanadvocate
Nov 25, 2020, 5:06 PM
With all the mixed information for this building I have a feeling it is not going to look like the renders but will now be totally different. The renderings made the 365' make sense but if we are talking 300' or so it is not going to look like that. Mystery high-rise!

CAGeoNerd
Nov 25, 2020, 5:21 PM
I have a feeling it's going to end up looking like the building that went up in Stockton, just a big ugly monolith. Stockton had a cute old skyline now that thing dwarfs it and makes everything else look tiny (not that would happen here).. but it's the first building you'll see well if you're coming into town from the airport.. so hopefully not a monstrosity.

SacTownAndy
Nov 25, 2020, 11:37 PM
So I did a little research. Totally non-scientific. The new county courthouse in Stockton is 13 floors/243ft. The new county courthouse in San Diego is 22 floors/403ft. The ~300ft estimate mindbender gave us sounds just about right with 18 floors assuming all three projects have similar floor heights.

Also, I was able to find a southern facing rendering at the website below from Clark Construction. If this is what is still the plan, I think that looks pretty nice. At the bottom of the page, check out rendering 11/12.

http://www.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com

urbanadvocate
Nov 26, 2020, 4:37 AM
Section 3.1 in the New Sacramento Courthouse Addendum from March 2018
has it at 270'. Those renderings are deceiving, it does look to be at the height of the Fed. court house.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/facilities-New-Sacramento-Courthouse-Addendum-1-of-2.pdf

I feel like this is a typo or error. Says 18 stories and 270' under the modifications. This would mean less then 15ft floor to floor if you take into account a taller ground floor, mechanical screen etc. Between structure (3ft at least), mechanical (3ft), electrical and ceiling material (1ft max) etc you would have ceiling heights that are too low--less than 8ft.

urban_encounter
Nov 29, 2020, 11:07 PM
(error)

mindbender
Nov 30, 2020, 4:34 AM
http://https://www.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com/webcam

Courtesy of Clark Construction

Your link is busted; forwards to a spam site.

https://www.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com/webcam

Direct link here:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/newsacramentocourthouse

urban_encounter
Nov 30, 2020, 2:34 PM
Your link is busted; forwards to a spam site.

https://www.sacramentocourthouseconstruction.com/webcam

Direct link here:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/newsacramentocourthouse

Thank you. :cheers:

kamehameha
Dec 4, 2020, 6:23 PM
So no news on the 15 story Canopy hotel and the 15 story 10th and K by Mohanna? Groundbreaking are suppose to happen this year 2020

CAGeoNerd
Dec 4, 2020, 6:58 PM
So no news on the 15 story Canopy hotel and the 15 story 10th and K by Mohanna? Groundbreaking are suppose to happen this year 2020

Were these actually given the green light or are they still "concepts"? 2020 has probably messed a lot of plans up.

kamehameha
Dec 4, 2020, 8:32 PM
They submitted plans and has been approved.

Schmoe
Dec 11, 2020, 11:28 PM

snfenoc
Dec 31, 2020, 12:11 AM
SKK plans seven-story project in Midtown Sacramento
By Ben van der Meer – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
December 30, 2020

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2020/12/30/skk-plans-seven-story-project-in-midtown.html

...On the southwest corner of 18th Street and Kayak Alley, SKK has proposed a seven-story project of apartments, retail and office space on a .14-acre parcel...

Kolokotronis said the first and second floor would be retail/restaurant and office space, topped by 25 market-rate apartments in the five floors above. His own development firm, currently in a live-work loft across 18th Street in his 1801 L project, will occupy the office space, he said....

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The address is 1116 18th Street.
Current Site: Former Alfa Romeo repair shop, now used as a barber shop. The site is only about 1/10th or even 1/12th of a block. Pretty small, but nice infill for Mid-Town.
Historic Building?: It is not on the city's list; but due to the age, a review will automatically be triggered. Given that Alfa Romeo is an Italian brand and knowing their reliability, that building probably rendered at least 20 million services during its heyday. I'm sure wburg and crew will find it to be kitschy and hip enough to try and save. :rolleyes: j/k
Total number of floors: 7 stories.
Retail/Restaurant Space: Yes, on the first floor. 3,490 square feet. Will be built as a shell for a future tenant.
Office Space: Yes, on the second floor. Will be SKK's new office.
Housing: Floors 3-7.
Unit Mix: (8) Studio Units; (15) One Bedroom Units; & (5) Two Bedroom Units.
New Parking: No. There will be (16) long-term and (8) short-term parking spaces in the 1801 L Street development, nearby, dedicated to this project.
Timeframe: SKK says that they want to start construction in late 2021, and it should take 18-20 months to build.

Current Site (on 18th Street, mid-block between the alley and L Street):
https://i.postimg.cc/NjXZBpzp/18th-Street-Development-Current-Site.jpg

Project Drawing (by C2K Architecture, Inc. out of Portland, OR):
https://i.postimg.cc/kgyz2B7b/18th-Street-Development-New-Bldg.jpg

There was also some additional information about SKK's other proposals and projects under construction:

SKK's 5-story proposals on 16th/J and 17th/J should begin construction during the second half of 2021.
Also, phase 1 of the super-large Arden Gateway project, which would have 700+ apartments at build out, should be far along enough by June for tenants to start moving in.

snfenoc
Dec 31, 2020, 12:51 AM
In other news...

Folsom/Elvas gets proposal for 143 student housing units
December 30, 2020

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2020/12/30/folsom-elvas-gets-student-housing-proposal.html

Single-story commercial buildings near the intersection of Folsom Boulevard and Elvas Avenue in Sacramento would make way for a six-story student housing project, under a new proposal with the city.

Proposed by Opus Development Co. of Minnetonka, Minnesota, the 143-unit project would make more than a half-dozen new projects under construction or planned and aimed at college students in the neighborhoods around California State University Sacramento.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Developer: Opus Development Co.
Site Location: 6661 Folsom Blvd. and 6670 Elvas Ave.
Current Site: Car Wash, Taqueria and a vacant commercial building. It's a triangular property that comes to a point where Elvas Ave. meets Folsom Blvd. At 1.4 acres, it's probably equivalent to a half a city block?
Historic Buildings?: Maybe. The Taqueria looks to be an old, mid-century drive-thru joint. The Mid Mods could raise a fuss. Maybe the developer could give them an Eames Lounge Chair, a few packs of Sen-Sen, a bottle of bourbon, and a carton of cigarettes without the Surgeon General's warning; and then they'll go away and get off on themselves.
Proposal Height & Size: 6 Floors and 192,783 square feet.
Ground Floor Retail: I am not sure, but it does not look like there will be any retail or restaurant space. The article doesn't make any mention of retail space; and it says that even the first/ground floor will have apartment units. I don't like this. A few of the open proposals for that area, all of them around 5-7 floors, don't seem to include retail or restaurant space. They have tenant amenities, but probably zero commercial space. I prefer projects that aren't just prisons for housing students. I like projects that attract the entire community, even if they are geared for students. It adds life to the street around the building.
Parking: Yes. 16,000+ square feet of it.
Unit Mix - 143 Units: (15) Studios; (15) One-bedroom units; (48) Two-bedroom units; (10) Three-bedroom units; and (55) Four-bedroom units.
Total Number of Beds: 376.

Current Site (from Elvas Ave. & Folsom Blvd.):
https://i.postimg.cc/QCQkfYNn/Folsom-Blvd-Current.jpg

Proposal Drawing by Opus AE Group, LLC (view looks to be Folsom Blvd & 66th Street):
https://i.postimg.cc/NFkm6yb3/New-Folsom-Blvd.jpg

enigma99a
Jan 12, 2021, 3:00 AM
Kings are selling Lot X for 17 million. Too bad nothing will happen with covid now. Office leases are way down and so is the desire to be downtown. 5 or 6 story residential perhaps? Lol

Schmoe
Jan 12, 2021, 5:27 PM
Kings are selling Lot X for 17 million. Too bad nothing will happen with covid now. Office leases are way down and so is the desire to be downtown. 5 or 6 story residential perhaps? Lol

Thankfully a building that size wouldn't likely pencil out with a land cost that high.

snfenoc
Jan 13, 2021, 5:18 PM
Downtown Sacramento 14-story hotel project to start this year
January 13, 2021

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2021/01/13/downtown-sac-hotel-project-to-start-this-year.html

Construction of a 14-story Canopy by Hilton hotel in Downtown Sacramento at Ninth and L streets is slated to be underway by midyear, according to the developer.

Eva Hill, CEO of Venture Oaks Real Estate Group, has filed for both a demolition permit of an existing two-story building on the site at 831 L St. and a building permit for what will be a 265-room hotel with a rooftop lounge and 55 luxury apartments.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Location is the Northwest corner (I think) of 9th and L Streets.
Expected opening date is early 2023.
The building would have a ground floor bar and restaurant.
Parking? Yes. One level of below grade parking.
The developer thinks the hospitality industry will make a comeback; so there is good reason to start construction.
Although there are 4 new hotel projects (3 of them are almost finished) to provide lots of competition, the developer cites a newly-expanded convention center as a strong source of increased demand for rooms.
The developer still does not have a general contractor or a projected cost. This makes me think that the project is still in the "We'll See..." category. If you don't have a GC or a cost, it's kinda hard to get the monetary investment.

This would be a nice project for that ugly corner. Yes, I would rather it be 24 floors, with double the housing; but I'll take it.

If we could just clean up the remaining vacant, ugly properties on that block, and do something with the old bus terminal a block to the west, I'd be really happy.

PRESUMED LOCATION:
https://i.postimg.cc/ry914w1d/Canopy-Location.jpg

PROJECT DRAWING:
https://i.postimg.cc/cLvwP7VY/Canopy.jpg

Majin
Jan 13, 2021, 5:49 PM
Yes I also wish it was 72 floors but at least it's not another 5-6 story block and at least it includes more luxury condos.

kamehameha
Jan 13, 2021, 6:29 PM
The 15 story by 10 and K street by Mohanna should start construction this year as well.

Schmoe
Jan 13, 2021, 6:37 PM
These will be great infill projects.

Majin
Jan 13, 2021, 9:22 PM
The 15 story by 10 and K street by Mohanna should start construction this year as well.

Any info on this? I have not seen any articles about this project since pre-covid.

snfenoc
Jan 13, 2021, 10:14 PM
Any info on this? I have not seen any articles about this project since pre-covid.

Just to add my 2 cents...

The last time I heard about Nikki Mohanna's 10th & K Street project (appropriately name, "10K"), it was in the SBJ's "Redefining the Core" series of articles, which were published May/June 2020. The downtown-related article noted that construction was "likely" to begin in Q1 2021. However, it also said the Project Cost was yet to be determined. Also, I haven't seen any notice regarding the General Contractor.

Upon its proposal I thought 10K had a good chance, since it included very high-density, smalller housing units (as well as a hotel). However, the "COVID Density Scare" and reduced travel may derail 10K and it almost certainly delayed it. Frankly, I think density in general (including office and housing) will make a comeback, though it may get some tweaks. Working from home, in a detached single family unit just isn't an option for many people. Plus, I doubt most people are as productive working from home as they are at an actual workplace. It may take some time to find a happy medium, however.

We'll see.

Maybe kamehameha has seen a more-recent article, or has some inside info?

gillynova
Jan 13, 2021, 10:36 PM
Great addition to downtown and will help the city potentially host an NBA or MLS all star game in the future!

novatone82
Jan 18, 2021, 9:43 PM
Any word on John Saca and his projects? And did we lose our soccer stadium thread ? just wondering when construction begins ?

snfenoc
Jan 20, 2021, 1:27 AM
Any word on John Saca and his projects? And did we lose our soccer stadium thread ? just wondering when construction begins ?

John Saca?!?! Who the hell is he? Hahaha. ;)

Saca is pretty much a non-factor at this point.

CalPERS now owns the old Towers on Crapitol Mall site... as they have for the past 12 years. They are taking their time to find a good project for the site. CalPERS had partnered with CIM Group many years ago to come up with something. There were a couple different drawings of a 35-ish story mixed-use building. However, CalPERS fired CIM Group a couple years later. Since then, I haven't heard much in relation to marketing the site or making attempts to lure in a main tenant. I assume CalPERS still would like to build a mixed-use tower (office + housing + hotel). Frankly, I don't think they care to put much effort into the "hole in the ground" right now.

Saca's J Street Metropolitan proposal is probably dead as originally planned. Sotiris Kolokotronis took the lead away from John Saca in July 2018. Saca may still be involved as a "silent," "silent," "go over there and sit in the corner" partner; but I don't think he has much of a say. I haven't heard much about the Metropolitan since that time. Keep in mind, SKK Development is in the middle of multiple other projects and proposals right now. It seems that SKK likes to build a couple projects, lease them up, sell them, and then move on to the next couple of projects. Whatever ultimately gets built on 10th and J, I'm 90% sure it won't be more than 20 floors; and I am 75% sure it won't be more than 14 floors.

Sacramento Republic FC pushed back the stadium development a few months ago. Currently, they're saying construction should begin this Spring and end in 2023. They're also saying the Republic's first MLS season will be in 2023. We'll see... There seems to be some issue involving the owner, Ron Burkle, either agreeing to pay the $200 million expansion fee, or finalizing agreements with the MLS. There was a "bad news" rumor going around a couple weeks ago, but the Republic said that things were fine.

novatone82
Jan 27, 2021, 11:25 PM
John Saca?!?! Who the hell is he? Hahaha. ;)

Saca is pretty much a non-factor at this point.

CalPERS now owns the old Towers on Crapitol Mall site... as they have for the past 12 years. They are taking their time to find a good project for the site. CalPERS had partnered with CIM Group many years ago to come up with something. There were a couple different drawings of a 35-ish story mixed-use building. However, CalPERS fired CIM Group a couple years later. Since then, I haven't heard much in relation to marketing the site or making attempts to lure in a main tenant. I assume CalPERS still would like to build a mixed-use tower (office + housing + hotel). Frankly, I don't think they care to put much effort into the "hole in the ground" right now.

Saca's J Street Metropolitan proposal is probably dead as originally planned. Sotiris Kolokotronis took the lead away from John Saca in July 2018. Saca may still be involved as a "silent," "silent," "go over there and sit in the corner" partner; but I don't think he has much of a say. I haven't heard much about the Metropolitan since that time. Keep in mind, SKK Development is in the middle of multiple other projects and proposals right now. It seems that SKK likes to build a couple projects, lease them up, sell them, and then move on to the next couple of projects. Whatever ultimately gets built on 10th and J, I'm 90% sure it won't be more than 20 floors; and I am 75% sure it won't be more than 14 floors.

Sacramento Republic FC pushed back the stadium development a few months ago. Currently, they're saying construction should begin this Spring and end in 2023. They're also saying the Republic's first MLS season will be in 2023. We'll see... There seems to be some issue involving the owner, Ron Burkle, either agreeing to pay the $200 million expansion fee, or finalizing agreements with the MLS. There was a "bad news" rumor going around a couple weeks ago, but the Republic said that things were fine.

That sucks for John Saca and downtown, I guess the city hasn't been pressing , I hope they are just rumors about the soccer stadium. Thanks for the updates

kamehameha
Feb 9, 2021, 6:19 PM
14 story Kaiser Railyard project moving forward per Sac Biz

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2021/02/08/kaiser-takes-new-step-toward-railyards-hospital.html

CRANE WATCH
Health Care
Kaiser takes new step toward establishing Railyards hospital
Email
Tweet
Share Article
Print Order Reprints

By Felicia Alvarez – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Feb 8, 2021
Kaiser Permanente’s plans to build a new medical center at Sacramento’s Railyards appear to be gaining momentum.

Since at least 2015, Kaiser has been gearing up plans for a 420-bed hospital in Sacramento’s Railyards north of Downtown. The 14-story hospital is one of the flagship projects planned for the Railyards development.

While Kaiser has long been quiet about specific dates it hopes to break ground on the hospital, a new project in the works indicates a step toward planning and constructing the hospital.

kamehameha
Feb 9, 2021, 6:20 PM
Someone in this forum said a while back that this project is dead?

Majin
Feb 9, 2021, 7:37 PM

There were never any official reports, just rumors.

14 floors is pretty tall for a hospital.

urbanadvocate
Feb 9, 2021, 10:00 PM

I imagine hospitals have a pretty tall floor to floor height too with all the ducting, ceiling equipment etc. Should be pretty tall.

Pistola916
Feb 9, 2021, 11:12 PM

Sutter's Women & Children hospital on 29th and Capitol is 8 floors and 179 feet, according to Emporis

https://www.emporis.com/statistics/tallest-buildings/city/101358/sacramento-ca-usa

So yeah, the Kaiser downtown hospital at 14 floors (assuming their all above ground) would be tall, somewhere between 225-275 feet.

Dieler
Feb 9, 2021, 11:35 PM

Could have been me.

A neighbor who is a Kaiser administrator told me almost a year ago that they were likely scaling back the project to be more of a clinic. She said that the project was still being evaluated, but that due to changing medical care infrastructure needs, it was unlikely to be a full blown hospital.

This is great news!

AndrewCNelson
Feb 10, 2021, 8:04 PM
Hi! o/

I want to share my work at SFYIMBY.com here because I believe we've covered proposals not posted on this thread. We do still cover Sacramento after I read some some interesting journal linking the distance of capitals from population centers with increased corruption.

We are a recently launched outlet covering development and construction across the Bay Area to Sacramento for our website and newsletter. We started as just NewYorkYIMBY.com, but have expanded to here, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

Here's a link to all our coverage specifically about Sacramento. Hope you enjoy! https://sfyimby.com/neighborhoods/sacramento

:yes:

-Andrew

SacTownAndy
Feb 12, 2021, 12:41 AM
Hi! o/

I want to share my work at SFYIMBY.com here because I believe we've covered proposals not posted on this thread. We do still cover Sacramento after I read some some interesting journal linking the distance of capitals from population centers with increased corruption.

We are a recently launched outlet covering development and construction across the Bay Area to Sacramento for our website and newsletter. We started as just NewYorkYIMBY.com, but have expanded to here, Philadelphia, and Chicago.

Here's a link to all our coverage specifically about Sacramento. Hope you enjoy! https://sfyimby.com/neighborhoods/sacramento

:yes:

-Andrew

Great run down! Thanks for sharing.

sactivity
Feb 13, 2021, 3:36 PM
I imagine hospitals have a pretty tall floor to floor height too with all the ducting, ceiling equipment etc. Should be pretty tall.
The UC Davis Medical Center is 14 stories. How tall is that one???

urbanadvocate
Feb 14, 2021, 8:13 PM
The UC Davis Medical Center is 14 stories. How tall is that one???

Emporis say 13 floors and 168 but with current designs which have more strict design requirements and an emphasis on more open spaces (i.e. higher ceilings) I would not be surprised to see a larger floor to floor height. Additionally the land it is proposed on is elevated.

SacTownAndy
Feb 16, 2021, 4:30 PM
The state office complex at 7th & Richards is starting to rise. You can see it going up from I-5.

downtownserg89
Feb 16, 2021, 6:41 PM
The state office complex at 7th & Richards is starting to rise. You can see it going up from I-5.

Nice.

sactivity
Feb 18, 2021, 2:11 PM

You can also see it in the distance on the new courthouse webcam.

urbanadvocate
Feb 18, 2021, 7:54 PM
Nothing happening anytime soon but nice to see it is still in the works:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2021/02/18/train-station-development-plan-finalized.html

innov8
Feb 18, 2021, 9:37 PM
Nothing happening anytime soon but nice to see it is still in the works:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2021/02/18/train-station-development-plan-finalized.html

Yes!! And lots to view about it here too: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/Public-Works/Sacramento-Valley-Station

urban_encounter
Feb 20, 2021, 2:50 AM
Yes!! And lots to view about it here too: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/Public-Works/Sacramento-Valley-Station

I’ve lost count; how many railyard master plans does that make now? :haha:

snfenoc
Feb 27, 2021, 5:27 PM
Just read a story in the SBJ that Ron Burkle has stepped down as the lead investor in the Sacramento Republic MLS bid.

It looks like COVID, combined with the stadium cost and the franchise fee, caused him to get cold feet.

Mayor Steinberg and the MLS said that they are still committed to bringing major league soccer to Sacramento. The league will help to find a new investor.

This is a huge blow. We’ll see.

Pistola916
Feb 27, 2021, 5:42 PM
Just read a story in the SBJ that Ron Burkle has stepped down as the lead investor in the Sacramento Republic MLS bid.

It looks like COVID, combined with the stadium cost and the franchise fee, caused him to get cold feet.

Mayor Steinberg and the MLS said that they are still committed to bringing major league soccer to Sacramento. The league will help to find a new investor.

Definitely a huge blow to the city. But I do believe MLS and the city will continue to work together to bring MLS here. Kinda embarrassing for the city and the MLS to announce expansion and hold a celebration only for the deal to fall apart just when stadium construction was scheduled for this spring.

It's not the city's fault that their lead investor had cold feet, and I don't expect MLS will hold the city accountable. My hope is MLS will give Sac a year to find a 'whale', sign all agreements, start building the stadium in 2022, and push back Sac's entry into the league to 2024. My hope tho.

Or the MLS could say screw them. Who Knows?

TWAK
Feb 28, 2021, 5:30 PM

Why does this always happen? Uhg, maybe Vivek can help out like he did with the Kings.

urbanadvocate
Feb 28, 2021, 6:41 PM
As disappointed as I am I am being optimistic that the MLS is going to work with Sac to bring in a new investor--does not and likely will not be local. Both the city and the MLS have so much invested in this and there is a green light to move ahead already, with the team and the stadium, that is just seems like an opportunity for someone to swoop in. No shortage of mega rich in this country.

sactivity
Mar 1, 2021, 2:40 PM
Does anyone know why the New Courthouse webcam is no longer available?

snfenoc
Mar 1, 2021, 5:21 PM
UC Davis Health debuts plans for $3.75 billion hospital tower project
By Felicia Alvarez – Staff Writer, Sacramento Business Journal
Feb 26, 2021 Updated Feb 26, 2021, 2:32pm PST
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2021/02/26/uc-davis-medical-center-hospital-tower-project.html

The UC Davis Medical Center is set to see a massive overhaul of its intensive care unit space under a new $3.75 billion expansion plan.

The university is planning to build a new 16-story hospital tower that would replace the 120,000-square-foot east wing of the hospital, as well as parts of the north and south wings of the hospital. Those wings of the Sacramento medical center are not expected to meet seismic safety standards by the 2030 deadline set by the state...

Project Drawing:
https://i.postimg.cc/cCqLffVQ/UCDMC-Expansion.jpg

Additional Information:

Total Project Size: 1,000,000 square feet.
Reasons for the Project: Earthquake standards. It will increase the hospital's capacity from 625 beds to 700 beds. It will increase the hospital's ability to surge to 450 ICU beds, up from its current surge capacity of 200 ICU beds. Reduce the chance of spreading infection by getting rid of all double-occupancy rooms - probably a result of COVID.
A 5-Story pavilion and a new parking garage will be built adjacent to the existing hospital.
UCD plans on submitting the plans to the UC Board of Regents later this year.
Ground-breaking could be in late 2021.
UCD wants to start accepting patients in 2030.

UCD MC also has long-term plans to build Cancer, Rehabilitation and Ambulatory Care centers ($1.9 billion) to take pressure off of the main hospital.

urbanadvocate
Mar 2, 2021, 7:24 PM
Anybody know what is going up at G and 7th street? Noticed a bunch of steel going up.

AndrewCNelson
Mar 2, 2021, 8:06 PM
Anybody know what is going up at G and 7th street? Noticed a bunch of steel going up.

I can't find any new building or planning permits filed for any of the four parcels on the 7th and G intersection in Sacramento, or three parcels on the 7th and G intersection in West Sacramento. Can you share pictures of the site and hopefully signage that would give a clue to the developer / architect?

urbanadvocate
Mar 2, 2021, 9:00 PM
I can't find any new building or planning permits filed for any of the four parcels on the 7th and G intersection in Sacramento, or three parcels on the 7th and G intersection in West Sacramento. Can you share pictures of the site and hopefully signage that would give a clue to the developer / architect?

Yes next time I drive by there I will but it looked like just north of where that "newish" affordable housing project is and south of the parking area at 7th and F.

LandofFrost
Mar 2, 2021, 9:57 PM

7. Metro at 7th

Developer: USA Properties Fund Inc.

Description: Construction of a four-story affordable-housing project with 150 apartments. Amenities to include courtyards connected to a community garden, a children’s play area, a youth room and private support rooms or larger conference rooms. The project resembles Metro Crossing, an affordable housing project USA Properties proposed on the same site almost five years ago.

Cost: Not disclosed

urban_encounter
Mar 3, 2021, 8:40 PM
As disappointed as I am I am being optimistic that the MLS is going to work with Sac to bring in a new investor--does not and likely will not be local. Both the city and the MLS have so much invested in this and there is a green light to move ahead already, with the team and the stadium, that is just seems like an opportunity for someone to swoop in. No shortage of mega rich in this country.

I wish I shared your optimism but this wasn’t a surprise.

SacTownAndy
Mar 4, 2021, 12:14 AM

I drove by there earlier today. A banner out front said it's a new SMUD electrical substation.

sactivity
Mar 5, 2021, 12:50 AM
Does anyone know why the New Courthouse webcam is no longer available?

According to an email I recieved from OxBlue the camera owner removed the camera from public viewing. Didn't say why though.

innov8
Mar 5, 2021, 6:20 PM
According to an email I recieved from OxBlue the camera owner removed the camera from public viewing. Didn't say why though.

Back in 1999 when the Federal Courthouse was under construction I was
chased away by security several times saying it was illegal to take photos
of a Federal Bldg.. Now that's not the case because of a court settlement
reached in 2010 affirmed the right of citizens to shoot still images and video
footage of federal buildings. In this case, they wanna make you work for
it and not have a timeline archive to review so a would be terrorist could
make plans take it down. At lease that is how it has been explained to me.

sactivity
Mar 8, 2021, 2:38 PM
Back in 1999 when the Federal Courthouse was under construction I was
chased away by security several times saying it was illegal to take photos
of a Federal Bldg.. Now that's not the case because of a court settlement
reached in 2010 affirmed the right of citizens to shoot still images and video
footage of federal buildings. In this case, they wanna make you work for
it and not have a timeline archive to review so a would be terrorist could
make plans take it down. At lease that is how it has been explained to me.

Whilst I might agree that is the explanation given to you it doesn't explain why the Natural Resources building, also owned by the state, has several webcams operating even still.

innov8
Mar 9, 2021, 9:37 PM
Whilst I might agree that is the explanation given to you it doesn't explain why the Natural Resources building, also owned by the state, has several webcams operating even still.

Yes, but courthouses have a history of being attacked and bombed. It doesn't
have to make sense, but I think that's the logic.

kamehameha
Mar 12, 2021, 12:39 AM
8 story 15S mixed use groundbreaking this fall 2021
https://www.hrgarchitects.com/15-s-mixeduse-apartment-sacramento

Korey
Mar 16, 2021, 4:50 PM
Good to see progress on 15S. There's sneakily a lot of stuff getting prepped and going up right now. The Richards Blvd complex is going vertical fast, as is the new north 12th street Dos Rios/Mirasol Village development.

Looks like CADA is working with D&S now to try and get the 14th & N site developed. Plan is to build 8 floors a la 1430Q, 2 concrete and 6 wood. All rentals except for the top floor which they want to sell (at $1M/unit...good luck).

http://www.cadanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Item-7-ENA-for-14th-N-St-Development-Site-A.pdf

The design doesn't look terrible but also not as good as the Cresleigh version.

LandofFrost
Mar 16, 2021, 6:35 PM
Good to see progress on 15S. There's sneakily a lot of stuff getting prepped and going up right now. The Richards Blvd complex is going vertical fast, as is the new north 12th street Dos Rios/Mirasol Village development.

Looks like CADA is working with D&S now to try and get the 14th & N site developed. Plan is to build 8 floors a la 1430Q, 2 concrete and 6 wood. All rentals except for the top floor which they want to sell (at $1M/unit...good luck).

http://www.cadanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Item-7-ENA-for-14th-N-St-Development-Site-A.pdf

The design doesn't look terrible but also not as good as the Cresleigh version.

The new version of the CADA property across from the Capital looks rather low quality for "across from the Capital". :shrug:

CAGeoNerd
Mar 16, 2021, 10:49 PM
I can also see the addition to the CALSTRS building now from the freeway, I think it's only 10 stories but it's noticeable in that location.

How soon until the new courthouse building starts going vertical?

Son of Travis
Mar 30, 2021, 3:27 PM
Forbes has two articles outlining the backstory to the Ron Burkle/Sacramento Republic debacle. Some of this may be old news to you, but for those of us non-locals, I found them both illuminating.

Major League Soccer Announces Ron Burkle Has Decided Not To Acquire Expansion Sacramento Team by Christian Red - Feb 26, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christianred/2021/02/26/major-league-soccer-announces-ron-burkle-has-decided-not-to-acquire-expansion-sacramento-team/?sh=7d65ced540b3

New Sacramento Republic President Lays Out Plan To Rejoin The MLS Expansion Conversation by Ian Nicholas Quillen - March 15, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2021/03/15/can-sacramento-republic-still-achieve-mls-expansion--a-talk-with-club-president-todd-dunivant/?sh=7bc516f91ab1

As someone in development now for over 20 years, I can tell you one of the key elements to successful projects is momentum. You just can't lose it.

In 2020 I continued flying starting in May just to keep the momentum on projects moving forward. Meeting the team onsite and showing confidence, command and providing direction absolutely kept some (alas, not all) projects on track and funded, saving both my company and those whom we employ from financial ruin.

Had I stayed home and tried to Zoom everything, there is simply no doubt those projects would have died and I'd be looking at a very different 2021, as would the rest of our team.

After the MLS big announcement, I grew increasingly concerned with the lack of any news and could, even from a distance, feel the momentum slipping away.

Of course I'm not privy to what happened behind he scenes. And as the articles point-out, several events seemed to conspire to hinder Sacramento's efforts, but that's where leadership proves its worth, and lack of leadership cements failure.

Scrambling now to pick-up pieces is extraordinarily difficult and made all the more frustrating because of the superb effort to get a deal done in the first place.

While it can undoubtedly still be saved and Mr. Dunivant may be the person to do it, anyone who has executed a complicated project knows that when the stars align (through hard work and a few breaks), you must seize the moment.

While I hope I'm wrong, Sacramento may have let this one slip away...

CAGeoNerd
Mar 30, 2021, 4:37 PM
Forbes has two articles outlining the backstory to the Ron Burkle/Sacramento Republic debacle. Some of this may be old news to you, but for those of us non-locals, I found them both illuminating.

Major League Soccer Announces Ron Burkle Has Decided Not To Acquire Expansion Sacramento Team by Christian Red - Feb 26, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christianred/2021/02/26/major-league-soccer-announces-ron-burkle-has-decided-not-to-acquire-expansion-sacramento-team/?sh=7d65ced540b3

New Sacramento Republic President Lays Out Plan To Rejoin The MLS Expansion Conversation by Ian Nicholas Quillen - March 15, 2021

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2021/03/15/can-sacramento-republic-still-achieve-mls-expansion--a-talk-with-club-president-todd-dunivant/?sh=7bc516f91ab1

As someone in development now for over 20 years, I can tell you one of the key elements to successful projects is momentum. You just can't lose it.

In 2020 I continued flying starting in May just to keep the momentum on projects moving forward. Meeting the team onsite and showing confidence, command and providing direction absolutely kept some (alas, not all) projects on track and funded, saving both my company and those whom we employ from financial ruin.

Had I stayed home and tried to Zoom everything, there is simply no doubt those projects would have died and I'd be looking at a very different 2021, as would the rest of our team.

After the MLS big announcement, I grew increasingly concerned with the lack of any news and could, even from a distance, feel the momentum slipping away.

Of course I'm not privy to what happened behind he scenes. And as the articles point-out, several events seemed to conspire to hinder Sacramento's efforts, but that's where leadership proves its worth, and lack of leadership cements failure.

Scrambling now to pick-up pieces is extraordinarily difficult and made all the more frustrating because of the superb effort to get a deal done in the first place.

While it can undoubtedly still be saved and Mr. Dunivant may be the person to do it, anyone who has executed a complicated project knows that when the stars align (through hard work and a few breaks), you must seize the moment.

While I hope I'm wrong, Sacramento may have let this one slip away...

Unfortunately that's what happens when everything hinges on one billionaire. The guy gets cold feet and then everything comes crumbling down, from the team, to railyards development. It's insane that there wasn't something more concrete in place with all of the fanfare they made about the MLS announcement.

Son of Travis
Mar 30, 2021, 7:07 PM
Unfortunately that's what happens when everything hinges on one billionaire. The guy gets cold feet and then everything comes crumbling down, from the team, to railyards development. It's insane that there wasn't something more concrete in place with all of the fanfare they made about the MLS announcement.

Funny how often a $400 or $500 million buy-in requires one billionaire.

When so much is riding on that one billionaire, strong local leadership doesn't let him stray...

CAGeoNerd
Mar 30, 2021, 7:39 PM
Funny how often a $400 or $500 million buy-in requires one billionaire.

When so much is riding on that one billionaire, strong local leadership doesn't let him stray...

The buy-in was more like $200 million, but my point is that relying on one person is a worse idea then say, 10 people with less wealth. 1 or 2 people back out, the others can keep the deal going.

As for trying to pin this on local leadership? :haha: Local leadership was more than on board. Nothing more they could have done than literally front the money with public tax dollars. But I'm sure you'd support that, right?

Son of Travis
Mar 30, 2021, 8:04 PM
The buy-in was more like $200 million, but my point is that relying on one person is a worse idea then say, 10 people with less wealth. 1 or 2 people back out, the others can keep the deal going.

As for trying to pin this on local leadership? :haha: Local leadership was more than on board. Nothing more they could have done than literally front the money with public tax dollars. But I'm sure you'd support that, right?

Yep... they were so "on board," it may be gone forever! Great work there by the home team!

If you think the all-in costs were only $200 million, ok.

Again, I hope it gets figured out. (Calling Kevin Johnson...)

And if you want to give local leadership a pass for letting this monumental, year's-long effort and accomplishment slip away, knock yourself out...

novatone82
Apr 13, 2021, 6:22 PM
looks like the crane is up for the new court house

CAGeoNerd
Apr 13, 2021, 7:31 PM
Yep... they were so "on board," it may be gone forever! Great work there by the home team!

If you think the all-in costs were only $200 million, ok.

Again, I hope it gets figured out. (Calling Kevin Johnson...)

And if you want to give local leadership a pass for letting this monumental, year's-long effort and accomplishment slip away, knock yourself out...

The whole stadium situation is predicated on the MLS team and the sole reason this has all disappeared is because of one man- Ron Burkle. It has nothing to do with local leadership. They're not the billionaires with the money. It is 100% on Ron Burkle who got cold feet and didn't want to put his money into this city afterall. Interestingly, he bought Neverland Ranch last year for tens of millions of dollars, but yeah, too bad Steinberg and the City Council dropped the ball. :rolleyes:

Son of Travis
Apr 14, 2021, 7:32 PM
The whole stadium situation is predicated on the MLS team and the sole reason this has all disappeared is because of one man- Ron Burkle. It has nothing to do with local leadership. They're not the billionaires with the money. It is 100% on Ron Burkle who got cold feet and didn't want to put his money into this city afterall. Interestingly, he bought Neverland Ranch last year for tens of millions of dollars, but yeah, too bad Steinberg and the City Council dropped the ball. :rolleyes:

Ha... because local leadership, who was basking in the glory and gleefully taking credit when the deal was announced, had precisely zero role when the once in a generation opportunity for a second major league sports franchise in Sacramento and the billions in development that would have gone with it, slipped through their fingers.

If you say so, comrade...

Majin
Apr 15, 2021, 2:45 AM
Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute, from the outside looking in it doesn't seem like local leadership screwed anything up? Am I missing something? It looks like it's all on Burkle which yes like CAGeoNerd happens if you rely on a single billionaire for success of failure.

CAGeoNerd
Apr 15, 2021, 11:34 PM
Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute, from the outside looking in it doesn't seem like local leadership screwed anything up? Am I missing something? It looks like it's all on Burkle which yes like CAGeoNerd happens if you rely on a single billionaire for success of failure.

Correct- local leadership did everything right, went above and beyond to get the deal done- and DID get it done. It was Burkle's decision. Who knows, if COVID never happened we could already be seeing a stadium going up in the Railyards right now.

Son of Travis
Apr 16, 2021, 1:33 PM
Question asked:
Am I missing something?

Question answered:
Not that I know (or anyone on this forum) anything of the internals on exactly why Burkle backed out at the last minute

Don't ever change Majin lol...

Son of Travis
Apr 16, 2021, 1:37 PM
Correct- local leadership did everything right, went above and beyond to get the deal done- and DID get it done. It was Burkle's decision. Who knows, if COVID never happened we could already be seeing a stadium going up in the Railyards right now.

If by "local leadership did everything right" you mean having no new MLS team, no new stadium, and no billions in related development, then yes...

Majin
Apr 16, 2021, 6:25 PM
Question asked:

Question answered:

Don't ever change Majin lol...

Since I admit I am unware what is going on behind the scenes, do you care to share what you know?

urban_encounter
Apr 28, 2021, 3:09 AM
:titanic:

novatone82
May 26, 2021, 3:16 PM
Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ???? Two cranes for the new court house, is that what they are topping off at????I assume they will add more height to the cranes as the reach the top ?

innov8
May 28, 2021, 1:34 AM
Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ???? Two cranes for the new court house, is that what they are topping off at????I assume they will add more height to the cranes as the reach the top ?

I’m no expert, but in looking at both tower cranes at the sight, only one of them has a tower crane climbing frame (red in color) to raise the mast. This is the crane on the western side of the construction site. So it appears only this crane will get a boost, but probably just enough to clear the other crane when in use. The other crane does not have a climbing frame attached. I guess they could add one later, but I don’t recall seeing that happen once a building starts going vertical. The Jib of the crane usually stays 40 feet or higher above the highest point on a building. This is how it looked for The Sawyer in 2015.

https://i.postimg.cc/cJ853pKR/NEW-arena-2017-01-04sm.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

urban_encounter
May 28, 2021, 2:38 AM
Its been very quiet on the forum ???? So another 6 years before a new major project for downtown Sacramento development ????

There’s nothing on the horizon in terms of solid proposals (that I’m aware of). Even if there were, we’ve seen how ‘solid proposals’ pan out here in Sacramento. I don’t see anything rising above 15 stories in the next decade at least. The State will be looking to reduce their office space in favor of ‘work from home’ alternatives. The market for commercial high rise space never requires anything much larger than 300-400k sf of office space or somewhere between 26 and 30 stories. High rise residential towers aren’t on the horizon. So again, I would say at least a decade.

But yeah it’s quiet on this forum. I’m surprised every time I log on that Sacramento still has its own sub forum.

We need one NorCal forum imo.

kamehameha
May 28, 2021, 7:53 PM
We have several highrises coming down the pipeline:
15 storey canopy hotel
15 storey 10 n k st by Mohanna
16 storey UC Davis Medical Center
14 storey Railyard Kaiser Hospital

urban_encounter
May 30, 2021, 5:36 PM
We have several highrises coming down the pipeline:
15 storey canopy hotel
15 storey 10 n k st by Mohanna
16 storey UC Davis Medical Center
14 storey Railyard Kaiser Hospital

Yes, I’m aware of the projects you listed. But as I noted above, I think it will be awhile before we see any projects over 15 stories in the central core. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’m not going to hold my breath.

innov8
May 31, 2021, 8:43 PM
Yes, I’m aware of the projects you listed. But as I noted above, I think it will be awhile before we see any projects over 15 stories in the central core. Hopefully I’m proven wrong but I’m not going to hold my breath.

I agree urban_encounter. In my opinion, only two of the listed four have a shot, the Canopy Hotel and UCD Medical Center. These proposals have actually filed papers with the city planning department and began getting EIR to move forward, the others not so much. But unless they have already locked in contracts on products to build, current costs will make budgets skyrocket, possibly killing the proposals. Soaring steel and lumber costs are threatening to slow or kill construction.

wburg
May 31, 2021, 11:31 PM
I agree urban_encounter. In my opinion, only two of the listed four have a shot, the Canopy Hotel and UCD Medical Center. These proposals have actually filed papers with the city planning department and began getting EIR to move forward, the others not so much. But unless they have already locked in contracts on products to build, current costs will make budgets skyrocket, possibly killing the proposals. Soaring steel and lumber costs are threatening to slow or kill construction.

Neither the Kaiser/Railyards nor the Mohanna project need to do an EIR (or the Canopy Hotel), they're covered by the governing specific plans (Railyards and Central City) but apparently the 19J project isn't leasing out many of its more expensive units (the 275-300 sf units renting for $1000-1500 rented immediately, the 400-900 units renting for $2500-4000 not so much) which supposedly complicates things for 19J. Kaiser, we'll see what happens but environmental review isn't the issue so much as the finances of the Railyards; I'm not sure how much effect the MLS stuff has on that. Demo was completed for the 800 K/L project so presumably that will get moving soon, although I know folks here aren't as enthusiastic about midrise projects.

CAGeoNerd
Jun 1, 2021, 7:49 PM
So is 301 Capitol Mall just totally gone now? I know that proposal fell through but is that coming back with a new design or...

Pistola916
Jun 1, 2021, 8:36 PM
So is 301 Capitol Mall just totally gone now? I know that proposal fell through but is that coming back with a new design or...

301 is dead. With more people working remotely, there isn't a need for a 33-story office tower. If a proposal were to come back, I expect a hotel/residential high-rise of 20-25 stories, maybe they can sprinkle a few floors for office.

But I dunno, we may see another decade of nothingness.